You've Got Mel by Erika



Summary: Melissa's your average geeky girl. She's a complete klutz and has never been out on a date. Her sister, Melinda, is the exact opposite: a beautiful girl who is constantly approached by guys. Things are simple? Right? Wrong! What happens when Melinda decides to do a little matchmaking with the hottest pop singer on the planet? Things get... complicated.
Rating: PG starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Long Stories
Characters: Justin Timberlake
Genres: Comedy
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 04/06/04
Updated: 07/15/04


You've Got Mel by Erika
Chapter 1: Prologue + Chapter 1
Author's Notes:

P R O L O G U E

LISSA

"I'll be right back," my older sister Linda told me. "I need to go to the bathroom."

We were both at Disneyland, taking a break from rides to get some food. I was putting condiments on our hot dogs when Linda told me she needed to go to the bathroom. I nodded and continued my work.

Linda has always been the best older sister to me. She's almost two years older than me and she is absolutely gorgeous. She got blessed with wavy flowing locks while I have a curly rat's nest on my head. Anyway, I can't hate her because she's there for me whenever I need her. Sometimes she's a little overprotective, but that's just Linda.

So, I had both hot dogs in my hand and I was just about to find a place to sit when I heard someone behind me ask where the napkins were. "They're right here," I turned around to face the mysterious person.

I could not believe who I was seeing… it was Justin Timberlake!

"Oh my gosh!" I jumped up and screamed. But, I guess I forgot I had my hot dogs in my hand because I dropped them on Justin's shoes.

"Oh, great!" he muttered.

"Here, let me help you!" I exclaimed. I quickly grabbed some napkins and dropped to my knees. I began to scrub his shoes.

"No, really, you don't have to do that."

What a nice guy, I thought. "No, I want to. I didn't mean to ruin your shoes."

"It's okay. Please get up."

He offered his hand out to me and I took it. He helped lift me up from the ground.

"Thanks a lot." I said, still holding his hand.

"You're welcome." He tried to pull his hand away from mine. No way I was letting him go before I said a few things.

"Justin, let me just tell you, you are an inspiration to me. NSYNC is like the best group ever. You know what? I even have an NSYNC website."

"Really?" Justin asked, still trying to pull his hand away.

"Yup, let me give you the address." I let go of his hand to get a pen from my purse. I grabbed yet another napkin and wrote down my website.

"There. Just go there and you'll see all my hard work. I have spent hours on the site. And my e-mail address is on there, you know, just in case you ever want to e-mail me."

"Thanks. I'll see you later, I guess."

As he walked off, I sighed. I couldn't believe I had met Justin Timberlake, heartthrob and a half!



LINDA

I love my sister Lissa, but sometimes… she's a bit of a… nerd. And I witnessed her being the ultimate nerd as she dropped our hot dogs on some poor guy's feet. I shook my head. I had never really had trouble with getting guys because of (1) my looks and (2) my charm. I know it sounds arrogant, but it's the truth. I am just a natural flirt. My sister, on the other hand, was just a natural disaster.

Lissa dropped down and began to scrub the guy's feet. I couldn't believe it!

Get up, Lissa! I silently urged her. Get up!

The guy helped her up and I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding.

Lissa reached for a napkin and dug through her purse, and I knew instantly what she was doing. She was giving the guy her URL! She only gives guys she truly likes her website address.

The guy smiled at her, took the napkin, and walked away. He looked back to see if she was watching, which she wasn't, and then threw the napkin away.

My heart sank. When would Lissa ever get a guy? She was nineteen and still had never been on a date. It was time to change things.

The guy was walking in my direction. I knew what I had to do.



JUSTIN

I was pretty angry that some weirdo fan had gotten mustard, ketchup, and relish all over my new shoes. And to top it off, she had the nerve to give me the address of her website. I made sure to throw it away when she wasn't looking.

I had just wanted a peaceful and relaxing day at Disneyworld, but it seemed like that was impossible. Sure, I knew that NSYNC was pretty big, but I had put some temporary dye in my hair, grew out my stubble a little bit, and wore some unsuspicious clothes in hopes that no one would notice me. And it seemed like all the die-hards did, but at least there was no pandemonium. I was thankful for that.

"Hey there," someone said.

I turned to spot a gorgeous brunette with beautiful flowing hair.

"Hey," I said.

"I can't talk long, I have someone waiting for me, but what if I gave you something?"

"Like what?" I asked.

"Give me your hand," she smiled. I held it out. She wrote something in my palm. I laughed a bit as she wrote. It tickled.

"See you later," she said, flirtatiously, and strutted away.

I looked down at my palm to see an e-mail address: mel@nsynclover.com. No phone number? A little weird, I thought, but she was so fine that I knew I would be dropping her a line. (Did I just say that?)




CHAPTER 1: LISSA
I'm the type of girl who checks her e-mail everyday. Okay, okay… I'm the type of girl who checks her e-mail a gazillion times a day. But really, I have a good excuse! I run an NSYNC website that gets a lot of hits and a lot of people e-mail me and… okay, I'll stop.

Anyway, it was the day after I had went to Disneyworld and I was signing into my mailbox, expecting the usual. I had 20 unread messages. Most of them were interaction e-mails, but one had an untitled subject. I clicked on the link.



To: mel@nsynclover.com
From: jt81@yippee.com
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Monday, May 2 (9:23AM)
Hey Mel… I just wanted to say hey. It was nice meeting you at Disneyworld yesterday, too bad we didn't get to talk some more. But I would love to talk and maybe meet up with you again…

Justin (Timberlake, in case you forgot :P)



I nearly passed out! I couldn't believe that Justin had actually e-mailed me. I figured he would probably just throw the napkin with my website address away, but apparently I had done something right… I didn't know what it was, but maybe it wasn't so stupid to drop those hot dogs on his shoes. I was thinking that I might just use that as a pick-up technique again!

Anyway, I pulled myself together and began to type out an e-mail response.

"My dearest Justin…"

Whoa… way too formal for an e-mail. I had to be cool. I had to be… down.

I finally came up with something I liked after several attempts. It was a little… different from what I normally wrote, but I figured, Justin is one cool guy. He would understand where I was coming from. Before I could talk myself out of it, I pressed send.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=561