Fury by Leeann



Summary: Alison Carter is a guide in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. When she takes a trip of celebrities up the mountains, everything seems to go wrong. They're fighting nature's fury as well as a fury of the heart. Will they make it off the mountain..or will they all be doomed to death.
Rating: PG starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Long Stories
Characters: JC Chasez
Genres: Drama, Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 01/24/05
Updated: 05/27/05


Fury by Leeann
Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Author's Notes:

"I don't understand how you do it Alison." Her friend Rachel looked at her.

"What's not to understand?" Alison shrugged putting more clothes in her pack.

"You take virtual strangers on these hiking camping trips or whatever you do and it doesn't even phase you. You're gone to the lodge for days at a time, I don't understand how you enjoy it." Rach looked at her friend.

"What's not to understand? I love being out there and seeing the look on peoples faces when they see my mountain. Especially those who are used to the city life. I wouldn't give up my job for anything." Ali sighed happily.

Alison Carter was the only female guide for a well-known outdoor tourist attraction located in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Being the only female in her line of work made it hard on Ali. Clients rarely wanted to go out on the mountain with her because they thought since she was a female they weren't going to get they're money's worth. There were many times when Ali proved them all wrong and that was how she had met Rach.

Rach was a spoiled "city girl" as Ali would call it; from Denver. The two had met when Ali was Rach's fathers guide over a year ago. Rach's father had wanted to show his daughter what it was like in the wilderness--which was a big reason why a lot of city folk came to the mountain. Rach was surprised to find that they're guid was her own age and a girl. From that moment on they'd become unseperable.

Rach moved closer to Ali with her job. She was a local reporter and the studio was located surprisingly far out of Denver. To this day Rach couldn't understand why Ali, an attractive young woman who at age 24 should be worried about other things like finding a boyfriend and other girly things.

"Remind me again why I'm friends with you Ali. You're so not my type." Rach wrinkled her nose.

"Not my type? What are we trying to hook up now or what? I'm sorry that I'm not a girly girl like yourself Rach. I never have been thats not my thing." Ali replied zipping her oudoor pack. She tied her sleeping bag to the top of it then put the thing on testing the weight.

"Sorry I didn't mean to offend you. I just wish you would care about your appearance and yourself more. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings." Rach looked at her friend sheepishly.

"You didn't offend me or hurt my feelings. We've had this conversation many times hon and it never changes. I love my job and I'm not going to quit. If for whatever reason I do meet a guy he'll have to like me for who I am and if that's not the case then who needs him. My father died on this mountain on one of these trips--I feel close to him when I'm up there. I know he's with me and he's watching over me." Ali sighed sitting down on the bed.

"What time do you leave tomorrow?" Rach asked sitting next to her friend.

"Five o'clock in the morning. That's when I always leave. We're too routine Rach, you always ask the same thing and I always give the same answer." Alison laughed resting an arm on her friends shoulder.

"Yes I suppose you're right." Rach agreed.

"So what do you want to do now?" Ali asked feeling bored already.

"Let's go to the mall." Rach suggested.

"What mall? There's no mall in town." Ali looked at her friend.

"I know, let's go to Denver." Rach grabbed her friends arm and helped her up.

"You know I hate the city." Alison complained sitting back down.

"I don't care. We're going to go have some fun today. You need to get out more have some fun." Rach insited.

"Fine whatever you win." Ali sighed.

An hour later they were at the mall Rach insisting Ali lighten up and enjoy herself.

Alison was more of a nature person than a people person. It's not that she didn't like people it was just she was never really around large crowds of people and didn't know how to interact.

"Come on Ali, don't be a bonehead." Rach pulled her hand in the direction of the nearest music store.

"i'm not being a bonehead I just don't want to be here." Ali rolled her eyes and caught up with her friend.

"Come on, I'll even buy you a CD. What kind of music do you listen to again?" Rach asked entering Sam Goody.

"I listen to everything. You know me, I love music."

"Yeah yeah, blah blah blah. Hey, isn't that...oh my gosh I think it is!"

Ali could only roll her eyes as she heard Rach squeal. How they could be friends was beyiond her. They were completely opposite people. Rach was hyper and loved people while Ali was quiet and loved to be by herself.

Alison watched as Rach went over to a tall curly haired man with a star struck look on her face. Ali could never understand the point of freaking out just because you meet someone remotely famous. Ali didn't know who she was talking to but she didn't really care so she went to look at the CDs.

Ali's CD collection currently consisted of everything from pop music like Britney and Nsync to Taking Back Sunday and Evanescence. One CD she was looking for was JC Chasez's new album Schizophrenic. She was an avid Nsync fan, but she wasn't about they're looks or anything else she loved they're music. Some of they're past songs could touch her soul. She wasn't like Rach who could point out which member was which from standing at least 100 feet away. They could come up to Alison and talk to her and she wouldn't know the difference and she liked it.

Ali found a copy of Schizophrenic and went to find Rach who was still talking to the guy. Not wanting to disturb them Ali just pretended to be interested in the DVDs. She didn't notice that the guy Rach was talking to had a friend who was watching her.

"I wish we could go already there are too many people in here." Ali thought to herself watching the people around her. How she let Rach talk her into coming was beyond her.

Glancing at Rach Ali started to listen to what they were saying.

"So you're here with the guys as sort of a vacation?" Rach asked with a high pitched voice.

"Yeah, we haven't been together all five of us at one time for a long time. We have a lot of catching up to do."

"How is your solo career going?" Rach asked him.

"It's okay. I love it but I miss having the others there with me."

"Well I like your music Justin and you're very talented." Rach smiled flirtatously.

"Well thank you Rachel. I'm sorry, but I need to find JC and get going." Justin smiled.

"JC's here too? Do you think I could meet him too?" Rach asked the teeny in her taking over.

"Well, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you really want to." Justin shrugged.

Ali could only roll her eyes and watch Rach's retreating form. She was way too starstruck sighing she went up to pay for her CD.

"What are you getting today?" someone asked from behind.

"Excuse me were you talking to me?" Ali asked turning around.

"Yeah, I'm not trying to be snoopy or anything I'm just wondering." the man answered.

Ali looked up at him and noticed he had dark sunglasses on. What she did see of his face she liked, he had wavy brown hair that was long but not too long. "Cute." she thought to herself.

Ali held up her CD and smiled, "JC from Nsync. His music does something to the soul. I haven't heard anything from this CD yet but the songs he wrote on the Nsync album were amazing. I could get lost for hours. Anyway I'm sorry I didn't mean to go off like that." Ali felt embarrassed as she turned around and set her CD on the counter.

"It's okay, don't worry about it. I know exactly what you mean." the man answered stepping closer.

"You feel things about JC's music and you can admit it? Wow I thought most guys think of Nsync as pansys and call them gay." Ali payed the casheir then walked to the side to wait for the mans answer.

"Well I don't know about JC's music in particular but I do know what you mean. I have music like that as well." he smiled.

Alison lost herself in her thoughts as well as in the comment that he made when Rach waved a hand in front of her face.

"There you are JC, I've been looking for you." Justin stopped next to Alison.

Alison looked from Justin to the guy she was talking to and then back to Justin. "He's JC? Like this JC?" Ali asked holding up her CD.

"Yeah, the one and the only." Justin nodded in agreement.

Ali put her head in her hand in embarassment. She can't believe she'd gushed about his music when he was standing right there. Head down she walked out of Sam Goody as fast she she could without saying anything to Rach or the two men standing there.

"What was that all about?" Justin asked watching Ali's retreating figure.

"I don't know, she said somethings about liking my music and I'm guessing she was embarassed since you had to go and open your big mouth." JC smacked his arm.

"Ow, I'm sorry I didn't know. Anyway this is Rach and she wanted to meet you." Justin introduced the two.

"Hi Rach, it's nice to meet you." JC shook her hand.

"Hi JC, I'm sorry about my friend there, she doesn't really get out much." Rach smiled at him.

"There's no need to apologize, she didn't do anything." JC assured her.

"Well it was nice to meet you both but I have to go find her." Rach bade the two farewell then went to find Ali.

"What was that all about Alison?" she asked when she'd found her.

"I just said some things that were a little personal and a little embarassing." Alison shrugged sighing loudly.

"Lets get something to eat." Rach grabbed Ali's arm and helped her up.

The girls headed toward the food court to get some nourishment while the two gentlemen they left in Sam Goody headed to do they're thing.

"Come on Justin, I have to go to Scheels, I need to get some things for tomorrow." JC led the duo to Scheels.

"What do you need to get? You have everything already." Justin wondered following him.

"I need a flashlight and some other small things. Its been forever since I've been camping." JC reminded him what Justin had heard many times before.

"Yes, I know JC, you've said it at least a hundred times already." Justin rolled his eyes.

"Well I'm excited I can't help it. It's been forever since I've done anything so normal. Everything has been so hectic with the my album release and press and all that. It's just good to get away." JC sighed getting everything he'd needed.

"I know what you mean JC. I've been there. It's really hectic. Especially when you're by yourself. It's much easier when you have four other people to help keep you strong." Justin agreed.

_________________________________________________

Food Court

"What do you want to eat?" Ali asked.

"I don't really know. What are you in the mood for?" Rach put the question back on Alison.

"I'm not sure. I'm thinking maybe Sammy's Pizza." Ali looked over at the pizza.

"Hey that actually does sound good. Lets go."

Rach and Ali headed towards the pizza place and stood in line. They ordered they're food and sat down to eat.

"So you were flirting with Justin Timberlake huh?" Alison smiled at her friend.

"I didn't flirt with him, we just talked." Rach answered feeling a blush creeping up.

"I know you Rach, if you had a chance to talk to Justin I know you flirted with him." Ali rolled her eyes knowing the truth.

"It's not like I did it intentionally." Rach stuck her tongue out.

"That's real mature Rach."

"Thank you, I know it was."

"Are you ready to go after this? I really don't want to be here any more. I want to go home." Alison asked.

"Yeah, I suppose. Seems you've had enough fun for one day. Meeting JC Chasez and all, we all know you've been crushing on him forever." Rach smiled knowingly.

"I crush on no one. I just like his music thats it. I'm not like you. I don't obsess over things I can't have and pop stars who probably have they're head shoved so far up they're ass they can't see the light." Alison spit out.

"Geez Ali, that was harsh don't you think." Rach looked at her with a hurt expression.

"I'm sorry girl, I didn't mean to take it out on you. I just want to go home. I have to get to bed early tonight in order to be there early tomorrow." Alison picked at the rest of her pizza clearly losing her appitite.

"It's okay. I forgive you, are you ready to go?" Rach stood up and took they're tray to the garbage.

"Rach, if theres somewhere else you need to go that's fine. I didnt mean to ruin things for you." Ali looked up at her guiltily.

""Not really but hey do you want to go to a movie or something? They have some good ones out now and it's been forever since I've seen one." Rach suggested.

"Hey that does sound like a good idea. What do you want to see? I have no idea what's playing right now." Ali nodded in agreement.

"Well there are a few movies that I really want to see. The ones I know that are out that I want to see are Starsky and Hutch and then also The Passion. Let's go see what's playing right now. That'll help to see which one we can go to." Rach headed to the movie theatre Ali following her close behind.

"The Passion--isn't that the Jesus movie?" Ali wondered.

"Yeah, it's called The Passion of the Christ. It's by Mel Gibson. Everyone says it's really good but the critics are just going insane on it." Rach answered.

Alison grew up in church as her uncle was a pentacostal minister. She considered herself a christian and read her bible and prayed every day but didn't really keep up with the christian scene like the movie. She did listen to christian music, just didn't focus on it.

"I'd like to see that one."

"It's playing right now too. Well it starts in ten minutes but we can go to it." Rach agreed.

The girls got their tickets and after getting consessions went to find their seats. The lights went down at the movie started.

Ali closed her eyes as they whipped Jesus with a stick many times. She felt tears running down her face as they started whipping him with the whip with metal peices on it. She couldn't believe that this was what Jesus went through for her, she'd never really understood it until that point. She felt the chunks rise as she got up and ran out of the theatre with tears running down her face.

Alison sat down on the floor right next to the door and folded her arms and rest her head on her knees. She couldnt stop crying as the mental images kept flashing through her mind.

"Excuse me ma'am are you okay?" a man asked from above.

Ali just nodded without looking up at him hoping he'd go away.

"Did you come out of The Passion? That's why I'm out here, I couldn't handle it any more."

Ali looked up as she felt him sit down next to her. She turned her head to the side and looked at him surprised to see who it was.

"Hey, you're the girl from Sam Goody." JC smiled.

"Yeah, hi." Ali turned her head forward again and tried to get control of her tears.

"So that movie had an affect on you huh?" JC asked.

"Yeah, I couldn't handle it any more. It just all hit me at once, for the first time I realize what exactly he had to go thru for me. That should be me getting whipped and beaten to near death but instead God took my punishment and put it on his own son. At the same time I can't believe how cruel people were back then. If those people only knew what they were really doing. And Peter, I can only imagine what he must have been feeling when he realized he'd denied Jesus three times before the rooster crowed and Jesus saw him. I'm sorry I didn't mean to go on." Alison sighed trying to wipe some of the tears that were still pouring down her face.

"Don't worry about it, I know what you mean though. It's a very powerful movie. It portrays the truth as it never has been before. What I think that Peter was feeling was guilt and pain. I'm not sure the exact emotion that I'm looking for but you know its like his master, the man he'd been following for years, the man who had taught him so many lessons; warned him that this was going to happen, that before the rooster crows three times you will deny me and Peter said that he wouldn't yet he did. Even after he said that no he wouldn't betray Jesus he did and then he had to watch them take Jesus away it had to be very hard for him." JC said giving her his opinon.

"It would be hard--very hard. Jesus was very strong considering the whole world was against him. I almost want to go back in and watch the rest." Ali chuckled realizing how dumb she must sound.

"I know what you mean. Did you want to go back in? We could sit together--I'm with Justin but he won't miss me. Come on let's go." JC got up and held his hand out to help her up.

Ali looked up at him then at his hand and grabbed it with her hand. "Thanks."

"You're welcome. After you m'lady." JC opened the door and waited for her to walk thru before following himself.

"Thank you. Where did you want to sit?" Ali whispered.

"Let's just sit here." JC led her to seats in the back row.

Ali sat next to him letting him sit next to the isle focusing her attention to the screen. On the screen she saw the guards mocking Jesus as they shoved a crown of thorns on his head and they continued to spit on him, punch him, and call him names. She felt tears fall down her face once more as she again saw how cruel humans were. She made a vow right then and there to never make fun of anyone again.

JC saw tears run down her face and he cautiously grabbed her hand and held it gently.

Ali couldn't stop crying and she couldn't take her eyes off the screen even when she felt JC's hand take hers.

It had been decreed that Jesus would die on the cross and he was being forced to carry it up the hill as people looked on. At one point in the movie Mary, Jesus's mother had a flashback to when Jesus was a child and he fell and started crying. She rushed to his side and said 'I'm here Jesus', Jesus had fallen again and she rushed to his side and once again said 'I'm here Jesus'.

That was enough for Ali she couldn't take it any more. Not caring that she didn't know JC she buried her face into his shoulder and started crying harder. She wrapped an arm around his neck and no matter how much she tried to stop she couldn't.

JC's heart broke when he saw and heard her crying like she was. He put an arm around her and held her close as he could in they're awkward position. He watched the screen and felt tears of his own in his eyes. They had nailed him to the cross and they flipped the cross over so that he was facing the ground about a foot below him. He was hanging by the nails in his hands and his feet as they pounded the nails in so they wouldnt come loose. It would all soon be over as they dropped the cross in the whole they'd dug.

Alison turned her head against JC's shoulder enough so she could still see the screen. She saw the sky getting dark and the wind was picking up. She could tell Jesus was about to commit his spirit to the Lord and die. As that happened a great earth quake filled the land. The whole temple was being torn in half as the priests could only watch in horror. The demon that had been following Jesus throughout the movie screamed out in defeat. Jesus had won--the devil had lost.

Alison stayed where she was even after the credits started rolling, still not having stopped crying. She realized that JC might have places to go so she pulled back and looked at him. "I'm sorry for crying all over you."

"Don't worry about it. Are you okay?" he asked concerned.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Oh, I'm Alison by the way, but my friends call me Ali." Alison stuck out her hand.

JC shook her hand and smiled, "I'm Josh, but my friends call me JC."

"It's nice to meet you. Thanks for letting me cry on you, my friend Rach is over there waiting for me. I can already tell she's going to ask me a million questions so I better go." Ali sighed standing up.

JC stood up with her and slowly wrapped his arms around her bringing her close, "It's nice to meet you too Ali, maybe I'll see you around sometime. I'll be praying for you."

Alison hugged him back then backed away and smiled at him. "Thanks JC."

JC watched her retreating form as she walked over to Rach who immediatly started talking to her.

"What was that all about? And who was that?" Rach asked as soon as Ali came back over.

"I don't really want to talk about it." Ali shrugged walking towards the exit.

"Come on Ali, it's not like you to just be all over some random guy."

Ali stopped and looked at her friend shocked, "I wasn't all over him like you said I was. The movie was really affecting me and he comforted me that was all. Maybe you didn't see it, but that movie was a little emotional and a little stressful."

"Look, I'm sorry okay. I don't really want to fight about it so let's just go home." Ali opened the door just as someone did from the opposite side causing her to lose her balance and tumble forward landing on the floor.

"Hey look C, it's the girls from earlier." Justin pointed to Ali and Rach.

"Yeah, I see them. After all you did knock her down." JC scowled at his friend then moved to help Ali off the ground.

"Sorry about that Ali, are you okay?" JC helped her off the ground and made sure she was okay.

"Yeah, no permanent damage, thanks JC." Ali smiled then looked up at Justin and Rach who were both standing over her watching her.

"You two know each other?" Rach asked feeling as if she missed something.

"Kind of." Ali shrugged not really wanting to go into details.

"How do you know her? Other then from earlier today?" Justin asked JC hoping to get more details.

"We met at the theatre." JC replied not giving any further details.

"Well, we must talk about this. Do you ladies want to stick around and get a coffee or maybe some ice cream or something? We don't really have anything else to do today and we're just going to be bored." Justin questioned looking at the girls.

"Well, I--"

"Yes, we'd love to go." Rach cut off Ali's statement knowing she'd probably turn them down.

"I can talk for myself you know." Ali turned to Rach with a glare when the guys had turned away.

"I know, but I didn't want to pass up this opportunity. Come on I know you Ali, you would have said no and went back to Hicksville without any fun." Rach smacked her arm lightly.

"Don't hit me and I don't live in Hicksville. Sometimes I seriously don't know how I put up with you." Ali rolled her eyes and turned back to Justin and JC who stood quietly waiting for them to finish.

"Do you want to hang out here or go elsewhere?" Justin asked.

"Are you guys okay here? I mean don't you get like mobbed or anything?" Rach answered with a question of her own.

Ali's face turned pale after that last remark. That was the last thing she needed was to be mobbed by a bunch of pre-pubescent kids with nothing better to do then try and get a peice of they're favorite pop star.

JC saw the look on Ali's face and stepped closer to her, "It's not as bad as it used to be. We can hang out here, so far Rach here is the only person that's recognized us. Our disguises work wonders."

Ali looked up at JC and practically melted with relief. "Okay, well where are we going then?"

Rach noted the way Ali was interacting with JC and watched them with interest. She couldn't wait to get Ali alone and ask her what was up with her and JC. They seemed so comfortable around each other.

"Back down that way there's a coffee shop, we could go there." Justin suggested pointing towards the direction of the coffee shop.

"I'm game how about you guys." JC asked his question directed at both girls but his gaze on Ali.

"Yeah, thats fine with me how about you Alison?" Rach questioned.

Ali agreed and the four of them headed towards to coffee shop.

When they got there it turned out to be a Karaoke day and the girls weren't sure what to think. They'd never been there before let alone with two of American's biggest pop stars.

"What would you like?" JC asked Ali who was studying the menu board.

"I don't know. I'm not much of a coffee drinker." Ali shrugged looking at the assortment to choose from.

"Well, I think it's all pretty good so whatever you decide to get should be pretty good." JC studied her face as she continued to decide.

"What are you getting?" Rach asked Justin.

"French vanilla cappuccino." Justin replied with a smile.

"That's it? That's unoriginal. You could go to a gas station and get that. You're boring." Rach looked at him surprised.

"What? I like cappuccino, besides it's different here. They use a real cappuccino machine, it tates a lot different than the powder stuff they use at gas stations and places like that." Justin responded.

"That actually sounds good. I think I'll have that too." Alison agreed smiling at Justin.

"See, it's not so unusual. She wants it too." Justin pointed to Ali while sticking his tongue out at Rach.

"Didn't your mother ever tell you it isn't polite to stick your tongue out at people." Rach pouted.

"Didn't your mother ever tell you it isn't polite to pout." Justin mimicked.

"Whatever."

"So anyway, what are you ladies up to after this?" JC asked turning his attention away from them.

"We've got to get going soon after this. I've got to be to work early tomorrow." Ali answered thinking of all the things she needed to get done when she got home.

"Oh yeah, where do you work?"

"I work outside a lot." Ali nodded.

JC could tell she didn't really want to talk about it so he didn't push the issue any more and just left it alone.

"Do you live here in Denver?" he asked hoping not to offend her any more.

"No, we live about 45 minutes away. I don't like the city." Ali wrinkled her nose at the thought of all the people.

"Really? That's interesting, why don't you like it?" JC aksed intruiged. Most people he knew loved the city life.

"I don't like being around people, especially large crowds. Cities are full of people. People who don't care, who don't know the simple things in life, who take everything they have for granted. I don't like people."

JC watched her talk with such passion and knew she had to be a person to get to know on a deeper level then just one conversation. He was really hoping to be able to see her again after they all left.

"You guys are boring." Justin said referring to Ali and JC.

"Why am I boring?" Ali asked wrinkling her brows at him.

"Because, you're talking about boring stuff which is boring me."

"Well, I'm sorry Justin but I don't try and aim to please, especially you." Ali rolled her eyes and pretended to be annoyed.

"Well you should," Justin nodded then held his head high pretending he was someone important.

"I'm not going to kiss your ass just because you're famous." Ali said starting to get upset.

"Whoa I didn't mean to offend your anything. Nobody said anything about kissing anybodies ass. Please don't get offended." Justin raised his hands and would have backed away if he wasn't sitting down.

"Sorry Justin, I didn't mean anything against you, it's been a long day." Ali sighed stirring her drink looking deep in thought.

"Everything okay?" JC asked from her side.

Alison looked at him and thought, 'Why do you care, you don't even know who I am. You're just some big famous pop star who's going to leave and never see me again. You probably won't even remember me after I leave.'

"Yeah, everythings fine." she smiled brightly yet faking it.

JC could tell there was something bothering her but didn't want to push it when he didn't really know her so he just smiled and nodded at her. She proceeded to look around the room some more looking deep in thought.

"So, what are you guys doing today?" Rach asked

"Nothing after this. Going back to our hotel and sleep. We have to be up really early tomorrow. It's our vacation and yet we still have to get up at the crack of dawn, something in which I don't understand but then again JC is the boss." Justin answered

"We have to get up early to get an early start. That and we're supposed to meet everyone else there that early so it's not just me that's saying to get up early." JC reminded him.

"Yeah yeah, it's still just easier to blame you." Justin laughed.

"Gee, thanks."

"You're welcome."

Alison watched this going back and forth and still couldn't believe that she, Alison Carter, was sitting at a table with two world famous people and they were actually giving her time of day. She wasn't into the whole 'oh look theres someone famous lets run up and get an autograph and totally ignore the fact that they're clearly busy'. What she did know was that they were people just like her yet at the same time with they're fame they could be with anyone at that very moment yet they chose to be with Rach and Ali.

"Penny for your thoughts." JC smiled looking at her intently.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to space out or anything." Ali coughed breaking out of her reverie.

"It's okay, everyone deserves a space out moment here and there." JC continued to smile.

Ali looked away and met Rach's stare. Ali knew by the look on her face that as soon as they were alone Rach was going to jump all over her with questions. Ali was never one to get along with strangers so well, but with JC it was different. Maybe it was the fact that they'd shared ideas about the movie or maybe it was because she had said things to him earlier. Whatever it was she wasn't sure but she did know that she felt comfortable around him like no one else.

"So what do you do for fun?" Justin asked Rach.

"Oh not a whole lot. There's not much to do where we live. The only real options if you want to really kick it up and have some fun is if you come here. They have some great clubs and stuff." Rach answered.

"So you have to drive an hour to have some fun?"

"Yeah, pretty much. Most of the time I come by myself because Ali never wants to do anything. She works early mornings every day and when she does have days off she doesn't want to do anything anyway." Rach said with a sigh.

"Hey, it's not my fault I don't like big crowds. Like I said earlier, I'm more of a be by myself in nature kind of girl not a be part of the crowd person." Ali wrinkled her eyebrows at Rach's comment.

"Do you have people you meet up with here once you get here?" Justin asked referring to Rach's statement.

"Yeah, I have friends here. I grew up here. I moved out for my job." Rach smiled.

"What's your job?" JC asked.

"I'm a local reporter." Rach answered.

"That's cool. Don't you think that it would be better to live in Denver where there are more stories to cover then in a small down?" Justin asked.

"That's what I said but the producers won't hear of it. They think that small town knews is just as important. Don't get me wrong I agree with that but I personally would rather be in the city. The two reasons I stay where I'm at are I love what I do and I'm closer to Ali." Rach explained.

"Well, that's cool." Justin smiled.

"Anyway, enough of my life story. Surely I must be boring." Rach chuckled feeling a bit embarrassed to have shared so much.

"Oh no not at all. You're not boring that is." Justin assured her.

"Well, thank you." Rach answered feeling the blush rise in her cheeks.

Ali could tell that Rach was feeling overwhelmed and tried to rescue her friend, "Are you ready to go Rach, we should be taking off. I need to be sleeping soon."

"Yeah, I think maybe we should get going." Rach agreed.

"Aww, do you have to go now?" Justin pouted sticking out his bottom lip.

"Don't pout." Rach lightly punched him in the arm.

"I don't mean to puot, I just don't want you to leave." Justin rubbed his arm where she had hit him.

"I have to go, Alison drove." Rach smiled glancing at Ali.

"This is true." Ali nodded in agreement.

"Well, why don't you just stay while Ali goes, I can drop you off later." Justin suggested.

"I don't know Justin, we have to be up at like 4 o'clock tomorrow morning to leave and be there by 6am." JC reminded him knowing that if Justin went to bed late he'd be a crab all day.

"I don't care." Justin rolled his eyes at JC then turned to Rach. "Where do you live?"

"I live in Green County. That's like an hour away from here, close to the mountain resort up there. It's kind of hard to explain." Rach stated.

"Actually we'll be heading down that way tomorrow morning. We could always bring you back then right JC?" Justin looked between Rach and JC.

"Yeah, I guess. Green County is on the way." JC nodded in agreement.

"I think that sounds fine to me. What do you think Ali? I know you hate driving alone." Rach looked at her friend concerned.

Ali looked between the three faces looking right at her waiting for her descion. Ali hated driving alone because about a year ago she was in a car accident on the way back from Denver. She'd nearly been killed but had survived, but rarely drove by herself.

"Yeah, I should be fine." she smiled hoping they didn't see through her.

"Are you sure Alison? You better not be lying to me." Rach acosted her knowing Ali's fear.

"I am a little bit scared but don't worry, I'll be fine. Just stay here and have fun with Justin." Ali reassured her.

"Why don't you like driving by yourself if you don't mind me asking?" JC asked looking down at her.

"Well, about a year ago I was in a car accident that nearly killed me. I lost a lot of blood and they never thought I'd make it through the night, but God thought I still had some things to do on earth so when I got to the hospital I started making a turn around. Once they gave me some more blood I stablized and I've been fine since. The only problem I have from it is the fear of driving alone." Ali picked at her straw reliving the day.

"Sorry to hear, did the other person live?" JC questioned softly.

"Yeah, the drunk driver walked away with not so much as a scratch." Ali sighed.

"She miscarried from it too." Rach said without thinking.

"Rachel!" Alison looked at her friend in shock.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to it just came out." Rach looked back at her with remorse.

"You were pregnant?" Justin asked looking at Ali.

"Yeah."

"Did the guy who hit you get charged with anything?" JC asked feeling the answer already.

"No, he got a DUI and that was it. The lawyer I had thought it would be a waist of time to try and push for man-slaughter." Ali shrugged choking back the tears she felt starting to rise.

"What? What an asshole." JC stated loudly.

"It should have been your choice to make, not his." Justin agreed with JC.

"Yeah well it's too late now." Ali shrugged looking down at her drink.

JC felt an overwhelming need to comfort as he gently wrapped his arms around Ali, offering her his sympathy. She reacted and put her head on his shoulder and inhaled deeply.

"I have to get going." Ali said getting up.

"Well, it was nice meeting you." JC stood up with her.

"Yeah, you too. Thanks again for everything; like this and the movie." Ali smiled weakly.

"You're welcome, hope to see you again someday." JC moved his hand to rest on her arm and smiled at her

Ali turned her attention to Justin and smiled as he kept making passes at Rach in his own way. "It was nice meeting you to Justin, keep my friend there safe and try not to take advantage of her or anything."

"Who me?" Justin looked around then back at her. "Never."

"Yeah, if you say so." Ali smiled.

"Take care Ali, drive carefully okay." Rach said standing up to hug her friend.

"I'll call you when I get there tomorrow, and I'll probably see you on Wednesday my day off." Alison hugged her back.

Ali said her fairwells once more and started on her way home.

She was halfway home when she realized she didn't grab her CD from Sam Goody. She'd left it sitting on the bench between her and JC. Sighing she realized she couldn't turn around now she'd just have to leave it.

Once she arrived home, she got everything ready for the next day and set her alarm and fell asleep almost as soon as her head hit the pillow.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=5759