20 Questions by joone



Summary: Winner for best Joey story at the Inspiration Awards One boy. One Girl. One Room. Twenty Questions.
Rating: PG starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Short Stories
Characters: Joey Fatone
Genres: Romance
Warnings: adult language
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 01/26/05
Updated: 01/26/05


20 Questions by joone
Chapter 1: Part One
Author's Notes:

Author’s Note: This story is based on a mass email I received a few months ago. I’m sure that you’ll immediately recognize it if you were, at some point in time, forwarded the said email. As I was reading it, I told myself, this is sooo a Joey story. So, being the loser that I am, took it’s premise, played around with it, tweaked it and work with it, made it more NSYNC, made it more NSYNC fanfic. Credit goes to who ever you are who wrote the original story.

Disclaimer: Views expressed in this story are purely for fictional purposes only. It’s neither the author’s nor and especially not Joey’s. Okay? Okay. Again, it’s faniction ladies and gents. Thanks.





”Tell me again what an idiot I am for being suckered into this.”

Joey laughed as he busily covered the couch with one of the sheets from the bed. “You knew what was at stake from the very beginning, Ella.”

“Well, when Justin drew my name as your partner, I asked you if you could play poker and you said, and I quote, no sweat.”

“That’s because I do know how to play poker.”

“Then why are we here?”

“Because we lost.”

“I thought you knew how to play poker?”

Joey dropped the pillows he had in his hand and turned to frown at his friend. “I do. However, I did not say that I could win our way out of this.”

“Argh!” She moaned in frustration. Getting up, she began tidying up the bed that Joey stripped earlier. When she was done, she escaped to the bathroom, taking a shower and changing into a pair of pajamas and a tank top. She was glad she decided to bring pajamas instead of the usual boxer shorts she was use to sleeping in. She was worried about mosquitoes and bugs since Justin’s party was being held at a famous resort in the Bahamas. How could she have known that she would be worrying more than just about stupid bugs?

Nervously, she stepped out of the bathroom telling herself that it was merely twenty-four hours. Infact, a good thirty minutes have passed. So, if she can sleep through the night, then all she had to do was endure a few more hours and everything would be over. Noticing Joey, she frowned. He was trying to fit his big frame on the sofa. “Joey, you know what? Come on, you could sleep in the bed as well.”

“Oh, no. I’m okay,” he waved a hand.

“Come on Joe. I mean you can barely fit yourself on that thing. The bed is big enough for the two of us.”

“It’s cool, Ella. I promised you that I would sleep on the couch. So I am sleeping on the couch.”

“You don’t have to be a gentleman about this. It really doesn’t suit you.” She smiled playfully as she sat by the edge of the king size bed.

“Gee, thanks.” He rolled his eyes as he once more tried to get comfortable on the couch. It was impossible.

“Come on already, Joe.” Ella prodded, patting the mattress. When she thought that Joey was going to protest once more, she said, "How about we change that promise to you not macking me while we’re in bed.”

Joey laughed.

“Is that a yes?”

“Are you sure?” He asked hesitantly.

“Yes,” she replied, sighing dramatically. “It’s not like I haven’t shared a bed with a man before.”

He chuckled at her comment. “Okay, fine.” He agreed. Standing up, he carelessly picked up the beddings from the sofa and took the few steps towards the bed.

Ella crawled up the bed, plopping the pillows on her side. She then took out her I-Pod and the fashion magazine she bought at the airport planning on zoning out till she finally falls asleep.

Joey, on the other hand, lay restlessly. If he could just will himself to sleep, it would be over quickly, he thought. But his will wasn’t enough to get him to sleep so he stood up in surrender, walked towards the armoire that was directly in front of the bed and opened its doors.

“Damn,” he groans.

“What?” Ella asked taking off her headphones.

“There’s no TV in this room.” He complained.

Ella frowned. “Joe, that’s why they call it an island escape. We’re lucky they put us in a hut with lights and a refrigerator.”

“Damn,” he cursed again. “Do you think we need to set up mosquito nets?” He scowled.

“That we still have to figure out.”

“I don’t fucking believe this!” He growled, giving in to frustration.

“Tell me about it!” She sighed, turning off her I-Pod. “Who the hell started this tradition anyway?”


Joey was quiet for a second, his lips pursed, and then he laughed.

“You?”

“Well, I thought of it, but Justin had a hand in it too. How would I know that I’d end up being a victim of my own stupid game?”

“So why did you start it?” Ella asked curiously.

Joey sighed, making his way back to the bed. He carelessly dropped himself on the bed, propping up his pillow before he settled himself. “It started during our first US tour. Justin, that son of a bitch, was going crazy over Britney who opened for us on that tour. He wanted a subtle way to hook up with Britney, you know, something that won’t look like it was a set up, or too fresh or too mac daddyish. So during one of our late night blahness on the bus, this idea was conceived. Set everyone up into pairs, play poker, which we usually do anyways, and the loosing pair gets to share the hotel room that night. We rigged the lottery to have Justin and Britney end up together.”

“Wait, what about the poker game? Did he let himself loose?”

“Well, he was suppose to but at that time it was a dead giveaway, he was just sixteen, seventeen then, the boy couldn't play poker for shit.”

Ella laughed. “Poor Britney, she had no idea what was coming to her, huh?”

“I guess that’s why I’m here now. I think they call it karma.”

“So you call this, you having to spend the next twenty-four hours with me, karma?”

He frowned. “No. I meant no offense. It’s just the whole situation. If there’s anything, I should be apologizing for getting you mixed up with Justin’s idea of fun.”

She smiled playfully. “So you think this arrangement was fixed?”

His eyebrows furrowed. “Why in the hell would they set us up?”

“I dunno. For all I know you might have a thing for me and you set this all up with J,” she teased.

Joey tilted his head to the side; his eyes gleamed naughtily. “And for all I know you might have a thing for me and you set this all up with J.”

They both laughed moments later, dismissing that thought.

“I really have no idea, Ella. I mean who the hell knows what Justin is up to? And as far as the poker game goes, our hands, it was as much as my decision as yours. So you really couldn't accuse me of loosing on purpose.”

“I know,” she sighed, putting aside her I-Pod and magazine on the night table. “The success rate of this tradition is one hundred percent so far.”

“True, “he nodded. “I mean J and B may not be together anymore but they were for two years.”

“I already knew you guys when it was Johnny’s turn during the second leg of the NSA Tour.”

“That’s right. We did the I’ll Be Good For You video during our break from the first leg.”

She smiled nodding, remembering the first time she was introduced to *NSYNC as their leading lady for the video. They clicked instantly which led them to being very good friends.

“Man, I couldn't believe it when J told me that Johnny needed help.”

“I know! I mean he’s Johnny. The mac daddy of WEG and he turned to putty around his future wife!” She recalled.

Joey laughed. “But now they’ve been married, what? Two years? No. Three this September.”

“Wow,” she sighed wistfully.

“Then there’s Lance and Shannon during the Pop O tour.”

“And they are still together. And then your brother and Gail during the Celebrity tour.”

“And I’m going to be the best man for their wedding in June.”

“Four out of four.”

“Impressive huh?”

“I’m impressed at what twenty-four hours of being together alone in a room can actually do.”

“Well, all of the pairs that ended up spending that twenty-four hours together, already have a spark going on. We just gave ‘em a little push… a little rub… friction…”

“So the spark would turn into fire.” She finished for him.

“Exactly.” Joey nodded.

“Are you telling me that we’ve got sparks, Joe?” Her eyes glistened devilishly.

Joey stuck out a tongue.

“Damn, not yet on our second hour and you dump me already, playah!”

“Shut up Ella.”

She giggled, enjoying the fact that her teasing was making him uncomfortable. Standing up, she padded her way to the kitchenette, deciding to see if their so-called friends at least left them something inside the fridge. “Nice,” she exclaimed when she saw three bottles of Cristal, an assortment of finger foods, dips, a twelve pack of diet Pepsi, and another twelve pack of Dr. Pepper. She also noticed two bags of chips, a box of cracker, a loaf of bread and a bottle each of peanut butter and strawberry jam on the counter by the sink.

“What you find?” Joey asked curiously.

“Bare necessities.”

“Yeah?”

She pulled one of the bottles and showed it off to Joey. “Cristal.”

“Of course.” Joey smiled, shaking his head. Only the best for Mr. Justin Timberlake.

“Want some?”

“Might as well,” he shrugged before getting up. ”Since we're going to be stuck with each other for the next twenty-four hours…”

“Twenty-three,” she corrected him as she pulled out one of the bottles with one hand and the platter of canapés with the other.

“Okay, twenty-three hours to go and we're going to be the first failure of this tradition. Might as well make the best out of it, right?” He said, and took the few steps towards her.

“Right,” she nodded. “Can you grab some glasses and plates from the cupboards? I’ll set this up by the couch.”

Joey joined her on the couch as soon as he found the flutes and saucers she asked for. He instinctively took the champagne bottle and opened it. Ella clapped her hands and gave a little yay as soon as Joey popped it open. He filled their glasses, handing one to her, putting the bottle down on the coffee table before he took his.

“To our friends and our weird traditions!” He said raising his glass.

“To us, the first failure of this tradition!” Ella clicked her glass with his before taking a sip.

It took a few moments for them to finally settle into the couch, enjoying the chilled expensive champagne and the finger foods that the room offered.

“So what do you guys do when there’s nothing to do?” She was the first to speak; finishing off what she thought was a miniature spinach quiche. “Like when you guys are in tour, in the bus or the hotel.”

“Video games,” he replied automatically.

“Well, since there’s no TV, the chance of having a Playstation in here is rather dismal. Besides, I’m sorta not into it.”

“No?” Joey looked at her as if what she said was sacrilege.

“No,” she shook her head.

Joey shrugged, stuffing more of the smoked salmon on a cracker into his mouth. “Justin loves making crank calls.” When all he got was an are-you-for-real look from her he laughed. “Okay, well, there’s always truth or dare.”

She made a face. “Truth or dare ain't fun when there are just two of us.”

Joey chewed on his food while thinking of other ideas. “Hey, I know. How about truth or truth?”

“What?” Her eyebrows furrowed.

“Twenty questions.”

“What’s that?”

“Each of us will ask ten questions each. We take turns asking and answering. I’ll ask you. You ask me. But the answers should only be the truth and nothing but the truth…”

“So help me God?” She interrupted playfully.

“Yes, so help us God,” Joey nodded, smiling. “But the thing here is you can't ask the same questions that I already asked.”

Ella paused, her lips pursed as she contemplated on the rules. “That's pretty interesting,” she commented. “We can ask any question?” She asked, taking another sip from her glass.

“Yup,” he nodded. “No holds barred.”

Her mouth twitched as she considered. “Okay, call. Let’s do it!” She agreed.

“And remember, only the truth,” Joey repeated, pouring more champagne on Ella’s glass.

“Fair enough. But whatever is said inside this room remains in the room. Okay?”

“Scout’s honor,” his index finger drew an imaginary cross on his chest. “You wanna start?”

“No, “she shook her head smiling. “I want to ask the last question,” she winked.

“Okay, cool. Let’s start.” He thought for a second a he drank more champagne. “Ready?”

“Ready.” She nodded

”Okay, first question: what’s your greatest frustration in life?”

“What? My greatest frustration? You can ask me any question in the world and you settle for my greatest frustration? You’re lame, Joe, “ she tsked. “Ask me something that would make me think.”

“We’re still starting, yo. This is just a warm up.”

She frowned. “Okay, fine.” She paused to think.

“Ella?”

“Yes?”

“What are you doing?”

“Shh... quiet,” she tapped him on his thigh. “I’m trying to think.”

Joey laughed. “I thought you said that my question didn’t even require thinking?”

“I said, shut it.” She smiled, sticking out a tongue at him. “Okay, I got it. I'm a frustrated violinist.”

“Really?”

“My grandfather played it and I remember how it always kept me entranced. I took lessons till I was ten but I quit because it was tedious and it’s shit on the fingers, man. I would rather be home playing,” she chuckled. “But now, I keep wanting to kick myself in the ass for not taking the lessons seriously,” she gave a regretful sigh.

“So that explains your elevator music collection.”

She made a face at her friend before she continued. They have always given her grief about her Paganini CDs. “There’s something about music being played on the violin…” her voice trailed off as she sighed.

“It always sounds sad,” Joey commented.

She smiled wistfully. “It does, doesn’t it? I think that’s why it touches me right here,” she pressed her hand to her heart.

Joey smiled, seeing a side of her for the first time.

“There! See? Told you that was easy.” She laughed moments later.

“And like I said, we’re just warming up. Consider it as your appetizer,” Joey raised his glass before he took a sip.

“Okay, my turn,” she said excitedly, rubbing her palms as she gave Joey a mischievous grin. “Did you ever have doubts about your sexuality? I mean, was there ever a time that you thought you were … uhm … gay?”

Joey nearly choked on the champagne he was drinking. “What the fuck? No. Never.”

“You okay there, buddy?” She laughed, patting him on the back. “Geesh, you sounded so defensive.”

“Because no. I never entertained the idea.” He insisted, taking a napkin from the table to wipe his mouth.

“You a homophobe, Joe?”

“What? No!” He frowned.

“So, not once? Even just a bit? Not even what if?

“I'm straight, okay?

“I'm not asking if you're gay or not. I'm asking if ...”

“Never, okay? Girl, where the fuck did you get that idea?”

“There has been talk for the longest time about you guys…”

“What?! That we’re gay?” He asked incredulously.

“Well, the internet alone …”

“Oh, come on, Ella!” Joey complained, feeling uncomfortable.

“What? I’m just saying, Joe… I mean you should see all the slash on line …”

“Slash?”

Ella looked at her friend intently. “Come on, are you telling me that you have no idea what slash is?”

“No, and to tell you the truth I don’t think I want to know.”

She wiggled her eyebrows as she picked up another one of the mini quiches that she decided she liked best. “It’s fan fiction where you guys are paired with each other.” She informed him despite of, wanting to see how he would react.

“What do you mean pair us with each other?” Joey was almost too scared to ask.

She took time chewing and swallowing her food before she replied. “You know, like, ahh … like in my movies …”

“What?! Ella that’s just plain eww,” he said in disgust.

This time she shook her head, picking up another quiche. “No. There’s a hell of a lot of good ones.”

“You read them?” He asked incredulously.

“Uh-huh,” she proudly admitted. “Well, except for Chris slash. By principle I don’t read Chris.”

“Do I even want to know why?”

She shrugged. “I just don’t se him gay, that’s all.”

“And the rest of us are?” He wasn’t sure if he should be offended or not.

She grinned lopsidedly.

“I didn’t realize what a perv you are, Elle. You get off at reading about us getting on?”

“Oh shut it. Most of them aren’t even sexual. Like I said most of them are romantic …”

“Okay stop,” he held up a hand at her. “Don’t… don’t even go there… I beg you.” He shook his head, as if trying to erase the thoughts from his head.

Ella laughed, obviously enjoying herself.

“How about we move on?” He scowled, obviously itching to leave the subject alone. “I believe it’s my turn.” He randomly picked up a canapé and ate it in one bite.

“Okay, okay. Shoot me.” She agreed, still laughing.

“How do you see yourself five years from now?” He asked, this time filling his flute once more.

“And you expect to win this game? What kind of wuss ass questions are you asking?”

“The object of this game is not to win.”

“Then what is?”

“To get to know the other person.”

“Fine. But I’m telling you, I will win this game. What’s the use of playing a game if there wouldn’t be any winner?”

“Answer.”

“Is there a time limit?” She laughed. “More champagne please.”

Joey poured more of the sparkling drink into her glass. “As they say, in vino veritas.”

“But this is champagne,” she reminded him.

Joey shrugged. “Wine. Champagne. Still alcohol to me.”

“In alcohol, veritas.” She giggled, thinking how funny it was. “This is really the best,” she licked her lips after taking sip. “To answer your question, I want to be an entrepreneur; I don’t know, be like Justin and invest in a restaurant or a bar. I’m actually already doing some research on it. Justin and Lance are helping me a lot, with names and stuff. Chris is helping me out with numbers and figures. But it’s still all in the planning stage. Nothing tangible at the moment.” She paused, thinking how she was actually looking forward to get started with this project. “I’m also not giving up on acting,” she continued. “Hopefully I’ll get out of my chick-flick-romance-comedy-leading-lady shadow and get a substantial role in a substantial movie.”

“Not bad,” Joey nodded, finishing his drink. “Hey, if you must know, we love your films, romance/comedy or not.”

“Aww, thanks, Joe.” She instinctively reached over to give him a quick peck on the cheeks. She then took the half filled bottle and poured more into Joe’s glass. “Alrighty, it’s my turn,” She paused to think of a juicy question. Dipping her finger into her glass, she mindlessly brought that same finger to her mouth.

Joey felt goose bumps on the back of his neck as he watched his friend suck on her finger. Dang! He thought as he gave himself a mental shake.

“Okay, I got it. Tell me Joe, in our group, in our tiny circle of friends, did you have any crush on anybody when you first met them?”

He took a drink before he replied. “Girl or boy?” He asked playfully prompting the both of them to laugh.

“That’s what I’m talking about right there, Joey,” she winked.

Joey didn’t reply at once, instead he shook his head and smiled.

“There should really be a time limit to this.” She said after a few moments.

“Patience is a virtue,” he said, feeling his heart beat a little bit faster.

“Oh, don’t give me that crap, Joseph. Don’t worry, I won’t sell the information to the National Inquirer,” she gave him a smirk before drinking.

“More wine?” He offered, noticing how she drained her glass in one sip.

“You haven’t answered my question yet and there you go asking a question.”

He emptied the contents of the bottle into her flute. “My crush, huh? Shit, Ella, what is this? The third grade?”

“Fine you don’t want the word crush? Let’s change it. With whom did you have a thang for when you first met them? Happy now?”

“My crush would have been the prettiest in our group.” He replied, cautiously.

“You had a thing for Britney?”

“J would have skinned me.”

“Then who? You gave such a subjective answer Joe. I mean if you ask me, Britney’s the prettiest.”

“Are you having a lesbian moment right now, Ella?” He teased mercilessly.

She stuck out her tongue at him. “Touche, Joe,” she then said, as she shook her head. “As I was saying, your answer is rather subjective. If you ask Lance, it is Shannon. If you ask Chris, it is Lisa. If you ask your brother it would be …”

Joey rolled his eyes. “Okay, fine, I got your point. What I meant was, girlfriends aside, if you ask the other guys who’s the prettiest, she would be the unanimous vote.”

Ella clicked her tongue. “Dang, Joe. We are playing twenty questions not guessing game. Dude, c'mon. Play your own game.”

“The chick flick comedy/romance leading lady.” Joey suddenly declared, silencing Ella.

She just stared, obviously taken by surprise at her friend’s revelation.

“Well, that sure shut you up, didn’t it?” Joey broke the awkward silence, reprimanding himself for sharing that particular information with her. No one knew, until now.

Licking her lips, she opted to pick up her glass and once more empty it in a few swig. Maybe the alcohol can help her absorb Joey’s confession. “Really?” She finally spoke.

Joey shrugged, not sure at how to gauge Ella’s reaction.

She then smiled when finally she realized that it wasn’t half as bad as she thought. Infact, she thought that it was cute. Adorable.

“What are you smiling at?” Joey scowled, ego wounded.

“What were you saying again? About not knowing anything about how the two of use ended up together tonight?” Her smile was wider, humor glinted in her eyes.

“No,” he shook his head in horror. “No. No. No! I swear Ella. I mean no one even knows. So this,” he pointed to her and then to himself. “I swear on my nana’s grave. I really had nothing to do with this.”

“But you just confessed,” she prodded playfully.

“That I had a crush on you when I first met you? Yes. Hell, we all did! You’re a fucking actress for god’s sake!” His hands were moving animatedly in the air. “We practically have a complete collection of your movies in our bus even before we met you. I mean why the hell did you think we wanted you to be in our video in the first fucking place? We all think you’re hot, okay? But no, I didn’t set this thing up.”

Ella decided not to say anything, give Joey a chance to breathe and gather himself before she gloats. A few moments later she leaned back and gaudily draped her arm on the backrest of the sofa. “Y’all think I’m hot?” She asked mischievously.

Joey bit his lower lip and couldn't do anything more but to bow his head in defeat.

Ella gave a hearty laugh. “Man that was classic!” She was clapping her hand. “Aww, Joey! You can say it to my face, you know. I won't bite. Why were you embarrassed to even tell me?”

“Duh!” Joey made a face, before picking up the champagne bottle. Realizing it was empty; he got up and made his way back to the refrigerator. “You get one point, Ella,” he said as he placed the empty bottle on the counter and methodically took out another bottle, popped it open, grabbed the bag of chips on the counter, and was sitting next to her in a matter of minutes.

“I’m flattered,” she finally said as he filled her glass again with champagne.

Joey shrugged, this time filling his flute with the expensive drink.

“So when did this happen again? Before or after we shot the video?”

He shook his head, smiling for the first time since Ella berated him about his stupid crush on her. “Sorry, my turn to ask,” he informed her as he took a sip. “So tell me, tell me, baby,” he sang playfully. “In our group, in our tiny circle of friends, who would you happen to have a thang for now?” He grinned smugly, giving his friend a taste of her own medicine.

“Hey, remember your rules, Joe. You can not ask the same question I asked and I believed that was the last question I just asked you.”

“Ah-ah-ah,” He wiggled a finger at her. “I had a qualifier. I said NOW. Your question was before. When we first met.”

Ella frowned as she folded her arms to her chest. “Not fair,” she complained.

“Just answer the question.”

She gave an audible hmp as a sign of protest but still answered. “No one.”

“No one?”

“I just broke up with my boyfriend, Joe,” She reminded him.

“So?”

“So? I’m still in the mourning stage to even manage to have a crush or a thing or whatever it is you want to call it, on any of you guys.”

“Of course you can,” he corrected her. “You still can have a crush or a thing on someone even if you’re in a relationship, or in your case, just got off a relationship.”

“Is that your player logic talking Joe?”

He frowned. “Oh, shut it!”

“Ok fine, if you really need a name... let me see… hmmm…” She eyed the platter of finger food but opted to open the bag of chips instead. She took a handful into her mouth and chased it down with champagne. “Well, I had a crush on JC when I first met you guys,” she admitted, unconsciously licking her lips.

“Who doesn’t?” Joey commented.

“You too?”

Joey was now convinced that the devil was a woman and her name was Ella Stilles. “Oh fuck you, Ella!”

She laughed. “I didn’t know it was this easy to flip you, Joe.”

He made a face at her. “Just answer the goddamn question.”

“Okay. Okay. Let’s see,” she paused dramatically, putting her index finger to her temple, pretending to think. “Who you think is crush material? Hmmm… I dunno… Okay, fine, you.”

“Be serious, Ella.”

“What? I am serious. You don’t want? Why? I’m not your crush anymore? Did I do something to turn you off? Tsk.Tsk.Tsk.” She teased, shaking her head.

Joey laughed, deciding that it was the easiest way out. “Is that your next question?”

“Hey, no!” She protested. “Isn’t a follow-up allowed?”

“Not in the rules, hun,” Joey shook his head, taking a sip of Cristal.

“Fine,” she surrendered. “What?” She asked when she saw the stupid grin Joey had.

“So if you have a thing for me now, then would it be safe for me to say that there’s a possibility that you actually have something to do with why we are locked in this room? “

She looked at him wryly. “NO!” She declined. “I only gave you a name just so to shut you up. Now I believe it is my turn to ask the question.”

Joey laughed, “And I believe you just gave me a fucking drive by.”

“Because I believe you fucking deserve it,” she retorted with a playful smile. “Okay, here's a little juicy question. Describe your first time.” Her smile was oozing with mischief.

“My first time what?” Joey asked innocently as if he didn’t know what she meant.

“Oh, come on, Joe!” Her eyes rolled. “Your first time. Sex. We are talking about sex, you idiot.”

Joey laughed. “That's not even a question.”

She stuck out her tongue at her friend. “Fine. How was your first sexual experience?”

“Like I said, earlier, PERV.”

“Whatever, dude. Just spill. How was your first sexual experience?” She repeated impatiently.

“Quick.” He expected her to laugh. “Well, what do you expect? I was sixteen and it was my first time. I swear it was over even before it began, dude.” He shook his head, wondering to himself it was the alcohol that was making her tell her things that he normal doesn’t talk about with the opposite sex. “What about you, Ella? How was your first sexual experience?”

She winked at him. “You taught me this game, right Joe?”

“Yup.”

“Then why do you keep breaking your set rules? I already asked that question, ergo, you can not ask that same question.”

“Just testing if you’re still sober,” he said in his defense, raising his glass to his lips and drank some more. “Okay, I’m done with my warm up questions. So, Ella, tell me, with whom did you share your first sexual experience with?”

“Wait,” She raised up a hand at him. “That’s still basically the same as my question, Joe.”

“Nope,” he shook his head. “You asked how, I’m asking with whom.”

“Damn you and your fucking qualifiers.”

“Quit complaining,” he insisted.

“Like it would really matter? You don’t even know him.”

“Then answer the damn question.”

“So who’s the PERV now?”

“What? It’s okay that you asked about my sex life but I can’t. No fair, girlfriend.”

“Fine,” she frowned, taking her glass and finishing its contents before she answered. “He’s name was Alvin. He was my first boyfriend. It was Prom Night and you know, typical prom story, we had a room ready and waiting a few floors from where the party was held. I don’t know what it is about the prom that everyone wants to loose their virginity that night. Maybe we all thought that it would be something special, if you do it at that moment.” She shrugged.

“What was it like?” He found himself asking.

She looked at him. “I thought follow-ups are not allowed?”

“Yeah, I’m sorry.” He felt a bit embarrassed.

“But I’ll answer it, anyways. Why not? Consider it your bonus.” She smiled. “What was it like? You want to know? Well, now that I look back, it isn't as special as I thought it was. But it was different then. I thought that this boy was THE ONE. My ever after. So I let my passions, my raging hormones decide for me. I was in love so everything I did with him was right. Everything we did was perfect. Everything was magical...well, almost.” All she could do was sigh.

“Almost?”

“Ask that on your next question. I already gave you a bonus one,” she winked. “My turn.”

“More Cristal? I’m thinking you need more,” he teased.

“Are you trying to get me drunk so you can have your way with me?” She teased back, laughing.

“Is that your question? If you want I can give you an answer for that?”

“Ahhh, no.” She backed off, suddenly scared of his answer. “Here's something that I’ve always been curious about,” she began, changing the flow of conversation. “How did you end up being flirty spice? The player?”

His mouth twitched, his eyes suddenly clouded. “That we have Lou Perlman to thank,” his brows puckered. “It was how it was then. Each member had to project a certain image, to fill in a compartment. He told us how it worked for the Backstreet Boys and back then we really didn’t care as long as we get signed.”

“But how did you get to be the playboy? Luck of the draw?”

“You can say that,” he shrugged. “It was obvious that Justin was the heartthrob. And JC, was the leader.”

“Why couldn't he be the player? I mean he’s gorgeous, people will understand.”

“Yeah, but it wasn’t really him. JC, he’s too complex to be a player. It takes time to win his trust.”

She nodded, knowing how true it was as JC kept his distance from her, when they first met. It took time for them to actually become comfortable with each other.

“Then there’s Lance, the southern gentleman and Chris was a dead giveaway for the funny, crazy one. And then there’s me.”

“Lou needed someone to fill the playboy compartment.” She said, finally getting it.

“There you go.”

“Are relationships harder for you then because of that?”

“It’s hard anyways. You should know, being in this business. But there were those who understood and there were those that didn’t.”

“If they didn’t understand Joe, then that means they didn’t love you that much to make an effort to understand.”

Joey shrugged. “I believed it myself you know? After all the failed relationships, I told myself, fuck it. They want me to be the player? Then let me be the player. I’ve been accused of indiscressions and infidelity even if I tried my best to be loyal so I decided to actually be guilty of what they accused me of. And I must admit that I went crazy a bit. And then came my wake-up call.”

“Your wake-up call?” She echoed.

“It was all over the papers, TV, name it. It was there.”

“The girl claiming that you got her pregnant?” She remembered.

Joey simply nodded, rubbing his face with his hands.

“That scared me shit.” He admitted. “So when I was cleared, I made a pact with myself and well, Johnny that I’d clean up my act.”

“And you did?”

He nodded. “A few months later I met Kristine.” He smiled. “Now it’s my turn,” he paused to lick his lips.

“Wait.”

“What?”

She felt as if she wanted to know more but immediately dismissed the idea. “Nothing, “ she shook his head.

“Okay,” he shrugged. Rubbing his hand together, he continued. “What was the naughtiest thing you ever did?”

Her brow immediately arched. “What exactly do you mean by naughty?”

He shrugged once more, picking up a handful of chips from the bag and dumping all of it in his mouth. “Up to you to define.” He managed to say in between crunches.

“Hmmm…” Ella scratched the back of her ears as she pondered, smiling. “Would it shock you if I say that I’m thinking there’s a lot? And of different degrees and categories?”

Joey laughed. “No not really,” shaking his head. He took a drink off his glass to wash down the salty potato chips he just had. “You have to tell me the mostest.”

“Okay. But promise you won’t tell anybody. What ever we say stays in this room?”

“I already gave you my scout honor.”

“Well were you even a boy scout, Joseph?”

“You can’t be Joe Fatone Sr.’s son and not be a boy scout.”

“Okay,” she took a deep breath. “I did it inside a parked vehicle across from the Dakota Building.”

“As in New York City, John Lennon?”

She nodded emphatically, “A few steps away from the Imagine memorial.” She then covered her face with her hoping to hide her blush.

“Dang girl,” Joey was definitely surprised that he couldn't say anything else.

“You asked for naughty.”

“I say kinky.” His brows wiggled. “Wow. With who?”

She smiled playfully, shaking her head. “You already used your bonus follow up question card, Joey. My turn.” She took her glass and took her time to savor the champagne. “Man, the problem with Cristal is you drink and drink and think this is nothing and then BAM! It just hits you.”

“Are you telling me you’re already drunk, Elle?”

She shook her head, as she licked her lips, feeling a little bit tingly all over. “Not yet. Tipsy. But definitely not drunk. I’m okay, don’t worry,” she assured him. “Now, I believe it’s my turn again.”

“Go ahead.” He nodded, finishing his drink. As far as he’s concern, the champagne hasn’t delivered its punch on him just yet.

“Have you ever slept with a fan?”

“A few,” he admitted.

“Johnny didn’t have any rules against it?”

“He did, but I guess…” he shrugged.

“No one listened?”

“More like a don’t ask, don’t tell.”

“So that good boy image you guys have is really nothing but press release?”

“Hey wait a second, we don’t do drugs, we don’t get into fights, we respect people, how good do we need to be to live up to our good boy image?”

“But you still slept with fans.”

“Because I’m only human. God knows how many times a fan offered sex to us without even blinking an eye.”

“You could still say no.”

“Like I said, I’m only a man.”

“And so you are,” she shook her head, raising her glass to Joe before she took a sip.

“What?” He asked when he saw the weird look she had. ”Don’t tell me you never got any sexual offers from fans.”

“I did but I never acted upon it,” she shook her head.

“Come on, Elle, its a little bit late for the guilt trip you know. If it would do you any good, this happened during my so called player days, ok?” His hands automatically made the quotation mark gestures. “I’m over it now.”

“Good for you then.”

He flashed a smile, although he must admit that he was a little bothered about how she reacted about the whole sleeping with fans issue. Pushing the thought aside, he placed his glass on the table and asked, "Okay, have you ever did it with a stranger?

Her eyes lit with misfit. She pretended to yawn, tapping her lips exaggeratedly. “Been there. Done that.” Her smile was definitely smug.

Truth be known it surprised Joey. “And you scorn me for sleeping with fans.”

“I’m only human, Joey.” She tried repeating his words with a straight face but no sooner the two of them were laughing real hard.

“You are such a fucker, Ella,” Joey commented moments later, wiping his mouth with a napkin.

“Got you there didn’t I?” She winked, raising her glass.

“So is he the Central Park dude?”

“Ah-ah-ah,” she shook her head. “I believe it’s my turn.”

“Oh, come on, Ella!”

“You’ll get your turn after this Joe,” she insisted, finishing her drink. “ Okay, “ she began, reaching for the champagne bottle and refilled her glass. “I’m going to ask a serious question this time okay?”

“Okay,” Joey nodded giving her a thumbs up.

“Well,” she began hesitantly. “I should have asked this even before the two of us have been locked in here because …”

“Are you going to ask me about Kristine?”


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=5808