Prom Partner by Bassra



Summary: Don't you just hate it. The school prom is coming up and as it always turns up, you have no one to go with. Just because you're not skinny like everyone else. But you think back to a promise you made with a friend...ask a member of *NSYNC and see what happens!
Rating: PG starstarstarstarstar
Categories: Long Stories
Characters: Group, Lance Bass
Genres: Romance
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 09/18/05
Updated: 09/18/05


Prom Partner by Bassra
Chapter 1: Me
Author's Notes:

Life has always been depressing for me. I was never the skinny person, I was never the popular person nor have I been the one cuddling with my boyfriend at parties. Well, actually, I’ve never had a boyfriend in my life, and because of that, I still haven’t had my first kiss. I was usually the one all by myself, watching my friends laugh and talk with all the boys, totally ignoring my existence. That made it easier to escape and go outside and sit on the curb and let the tears slowly run down my face, quickly wiping them away in fear of someone might see me crying and suddenly out of the blue take pity on me. The laughing and talking carries on inside, unaware of the fact that someone was missing. Me. If it were someone else, my archenemy Sophie or even my best friend Vanessa, they would be all looking for her and then cheer her up. There is one of my other friends that feel the same way as me, my friend Mya. She would be the only one out of all of my twenty or so friends, Mya would be there to comfort me and sit next to me, asking me what is wrong or what is depressing me. Then, my other friend Monica, who also came out of the party, her own party, to come out into the cold night and sat down on the road, facing Mya and myself, and asked up both what was wrong. I told her half of the fact, why I was sitting out there. I told her I wanted to have some fresh air and also for the fact that I had a headache. I never really told Mya the real fact, why I was out there as well.

That’s when I heard, “ Monica, Monica.” The very popular Vanessa came out looking for Monica, only to have Sophie hot on her heels. A few seconds later, the people all start to crowd around the area I was, only because of the fact that Sophie and Vanessa were outside and not inside. Because Vanessa was curious about me, she is my best friend after all; Sophie soon acknowledged my existence and everybody soon followed them. I had been at the party for over four hours, and they all arrived three hours ago, only now, do they acknowledge my existence.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
November 16th, 2001.

“Oh my god, I can’t believe the prom is in two weeks! I’m going to have a great time with Paul!” Vanessa was telling me as we talked on the phone. “Who are you taking Rachael?”

‘Who am I going to say?’ I thought to myself. ‘Gees, I don’t know Vanessa, who would want to go with me anyway? Look at me for god sake; I am an embarrassment to society. I’m not skinny, and I’m not really pretty!’

“Rachael?” I heard Vanessa say into the phone.

“Oh sorry, I’m just taking an old friend.” I lied. I have no idea that I’m going to take. I did, I had the guts to even ask him too. But lucky me, he went and decided to get a girlfriend two weeks later from my school and my grade too. That partner went down the drain, and of course, by this stage, everyone else is taken. Just my luck.

“What, from primary school?” She asked.

“Yeah, you could say that.” Another lie. I hadn’t spoken to anyone from primary school since the last day of grade seven, which was just nearly five years ago. The only reason I talk to them if they went to my school or I ran into my old best friend in the shopping centre or something like that. The next thing that was on my mind was whom was I going to ask in such short notice. I’ll just have to rely on one of my brothers’ mates or something.

Vanessa was talking about something, I didn’t know what, because my mind was on other things. “Hey Vanessa, I gotta go. I’ll talk to you later.” I said, hanging up the phone, not even waiting for a reply.

I walked solemnly up the stairs and into my bedroom. I picked up my diary from my desk; I clicked play on the CD player and laid down on the bed. I had *NSYNC’s ‘Celebrity’ playing in my CD player, so as I read my diary, remembering the past days, I sang along with a group of people who kept my hopes high. I was passionate about singing and dancing. I always tried my best at it, but even if I didn’t get what I wanted to get, I would just let it pass me by. I was turning the pages and laughing at some of my memories, and then I came across something. It was a promise that Vanessa and me made one day in our study of religion class. It read:

Today, Vanessa and I made a promise. The promise we
made today is if we can’t find anyone to go to the prom with,
we have to ask our fav guy from *NSYNC, and ask him
if he will come with us and be our partner!

“That’s it!” I said out loud to no body in particular. “I’ll just ask one of them, because after all we did make a promise and I don’t break my promises, but I will keep one of my brother’s friends in mind.” I quickly jumped of my bed and went straight to my desk, sat down and started writing.

Dear whoever opens this letter first,
My name is Rachael Valmont and I’m from Brisbane Australia. We have our prom coming up in two weeks. My friend and I have made a promise that if either one of us can’t find a partner, we would ask one of either five of you to be our partner….

‘Like hell they would want to come with me. They won’t come all the way over to Australia, just to come to my prom.’ I thought to myself as I finished the letter and sealed it in an envelope.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=9624