Love Knows No Bounds! by Guilty Pleasures



Summary: Amber is deeply in Love with Justin but little does she know that he isnt what he appeared to be When he disappears from her life she doesnt think she will be able to move? Justin suddenly reappears in her life but is it too late? will he lose her
Rating: PG-13 starstarstarstarhalf-star
Categories: Long Stories
Characters: Justin Timberlake, Lance Bass, Unknown
Genres: Drama, Romance, Mystery
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Published: 10/25/04
Updated: 01/05/06


Index

Chapter 1: Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Chapter 2
Chapter 3: Chapter 3
Chapter 4: Chapter 4
Chapter 5: Chapter 5
Chapter 6: Chapter 6
Chapter 7: Chapter 7
Chapter 8: Chapter 8


Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Amber jumped as a loud crack of thunder bellowed overhead followed by a flash of lightning illuminating her otherwise dark room; her idea of getting to bed early was forgotten by the pounding rain against her windows, the loud crashes of thunder and the sheet lightning illuminating her house. Groaning she threw back the covers and rose from her bed. Rubbing her eyes she made her way into the kitchen to make herself something warm on the otherwise cold night.


She wearily tossed the kettle onto the stove and made her way to the living room where she plopped down onto the couch and tucked her feet beneath her before reaching for the box of puzzle pieces to the puzzle she had started earlier that week, to work on. Sifting through the box she found a few corners and connected the pieces.


She almost had the edges all connected. It was a habit of hers to connect the edges first and then work her way inward. After adding another piece to the puzzle she rose to the hiss and whine of the tea kettle. “I’m coming, I’m coming” she growled tersely as she made her way into the kitchen and turned off the stove before preparing her cup of tea the way she liked it and returning to her seat on the sofa.


As the heat of the tea warmed her she allowed herself to recap the day’s events. She was a second grade teacher at Nicholas Elementary school and had been such for the last 3-4 years. In one of her classes she had a little boy named Jack who most teachers deemed “The child from hell” and thought he was impossible to handle; a lost cause. Not


Amber, she loved him. She saw him as challenge a little boy misunderstood, trying to find his voice and be heard. She wanted to teach him the right way how and prove to everyone a little love could go a long way. Everyday with him was challenging but the results would be worthwhile, she hoped, so she stayed with it. Bringing the mug up to her lips she took a sip and glanced around the room. A soft sigh crept passed her lips as her eyes alighted on a picture of her with her boyfriend of about 7 months; Justin Timberlake


A small smile tilted her lips up. He was so handsome; the picture of masculine perfection. Tall 6’3, defined in his back, chest and shoulders. Hair that she loved running her fingers through. his curly brownish blonde hair, soft between her fingers, her bangs falling into his eyes that she loved to brush away and would give him an innocent boyish look; falling into his deep cerulean blue eyes;.


Eyes that seemed to look into her very soul, which shone with desire and mischievousness. Another boom of thunder caused her to jump, she had forgotten about the storm in her thoughts of Justin. The doorbell rang and Amber froze, casting a quick glance at the clock on the VCR. ‘11:05? Who the hell would be out on such a night like this?’ she thought to herself as she quietly got up to see who it was.


With every step she took a scenario worse than the last played through her head at who would be knocking at her door this late on such a stormy night. Just as she reached for the door handle it began to turn; she could hear someone stick a key in the lock. Amber clamped her hand over her mouth to keep from screaming and took a few steps back towards the phone.


She screamed as the door was flung open and a figure in a hooded trench coat stood in her doorway. He chuckled softly and amber recognized the familiar chuckle. “Justin you jerk!” she exclaimed, trying to stop her shaking. Justin pushed the hood off his head, causing his curly hair to flaten . She nearly smiled at how cute he looked then.


“Sorry I scared you babe” He stepped closer to her and Amber slapped him. Justin smirked down at her. “You’re so cute when you try to be mad at me, let me apologize another way so I can fix that” he teased. Amber tried to back away but Justin’s arms wrapped around her waist and pulled her against him before covering her mouth with his own.


Amber melted against him almost immediately as Justin worked his magic on her as he always did. His lips moved against hers slowly and gently at first before parting her lips and kissing her more deeply, more passionately; drinking of her like a man dying of thirst, who just couldn’t get enough.


Amber tilted her head back and struggled to catch her breath which was nearly impossible as Justin continued to assault her with kisses trailing along her neck and jaw line to the soft spot behind her ear.
“Justin” she breathed as her hands fisted into his curly hair. Justin felt his heart miss a beat at the fall of his name from her lips, soft and full of desire just for him.


Then in a dance they had memorized so beautifully his lips found hers once more. Her hands gripped his shirt collar and dragged him backwards into the living room; her lips never left his as she found the couch and fell onto it, dragging him on top of her. Justin chuckled and brushed her hair back from her face, “Forgive me now?” he asked gently; brushing her cheek with his knuckles.


Amber smiled up at him and nodded. “You know I can’t ever be mad at you, especially not after that” Justin pressed a kiss to her forehead and rolled over her; making himself comfortable before pulling her against him and playing with her hair. They didn’t need words. Amber just lay there, enjoying his warmth and the feeling of his hands in her hair. “How was your day?” he asked after a few minutes.


“Still having trouble with Jack?” Amber sighed, “He stuck glue in Tiffany’s hair, and he wanted to play haircut with Julian, the adorable curly haired girl, she agreed but I caught him with REAL scissors. And during our lessons he would mock me…I don’t know how much longer I can handle him” she admitted. Justin smiled softly and kissed her temple lightly, “If anyone can do it you can Amber,” “Thanks Justin, how was your day?”


Justin swallowed nervously. He hated lying to her. He told her he was a regular cop but he really worked undercover for the FBI. “Oh it was fine, just the normal routine, a few accidents a few guys speeding…not much” They talked a few more minutes, about everything and nothing before


Justin’s pager went off. He read it and cursed in his head. It was marked urgent. “I’m sorry babe, but I got to go. One of the guys is sick and they need me to cover” he lied. He hated lying to her but in the career he was in it was illegal not to mention unsafe to tell anyone where you are or what you’re doing. He could see her disappointment and sighed. “Hey babe, don’t worry, I’ll see you on Thursday”


He kissed her softly once more before he grabbed his jacket and left the house, leaving Amber staring after him and praying he was safe; finger to her lips she fell asleep that night; thoughts of Justin keeping her smiling.


That night was the last Amber saw of Justin. The following day his sister called her informing her that Justin had been killed in a stand off with some gangsters. She hadn’t believed it; it was like some bad dream. Until she went to his funeral and saw his casket lowered deep into the ground.


It had felt like half her heart had been ripped away. The person she loved the most was gone, never to hold her or kiss her or talk with her again. She wondered if she would ever TRULY get over him…She highly doubted it; life no longer seemed worth living.

A/N Sorry for the mistake i made where it said "Thanks Cal" becuase she was sopouse to talk to a guy name Cal but i didnt like how it came and i would like to thank the person that told me. Thanx for the reviews

Back to index


Chapter 2: Chapter 2

Jimmy! Put that down!”

It had been two long years to this day since the death of Justin Timberlake and Amber was continuing her life as if nothing had happened; trying to put the past behind her and move on,

“Bad day already huh?”

Amber turned at the voice and smiled.

“Gee, how can you tell?” she muttered sarcastically with a roll of her eyes.

Even though Justin wasn’t with them anymore Amber had remained good friends with his sister Laura-Kathrine . Laura-Kathrine laughed at Amber and plopped down at her desk.

“Well I brought you something to cheer you up”

Amber grinned widely. “What did you do Laura-Kathrine ?”

“Oh nothing, I just brought you a mint Ghirardelli chocolate bar to cheer you up” Laura-Kathrine knew that on the anniversary of her brother’s death Amber was always depressed and really hurting. She put on a good mask and it was hard for anyone to see through it but she knew her friend was hurting.

Amber took it and smiled, “Thanks”

“Anytime girl”

Laura-Kathrine watched as Amber strode to the window and stood with her arms crossed, just staring out over the horizon. She knew she was probably thinking about her brother. Although Amber hadn’t been with her brother long; not even a full year, she knew how much her brother really did love her in that short 7 months. Besides they had only been together 7 months but they had been friends for at least a year before. She sighed. She missed Justin too and would give anything to see him again. Amber stared outside, remembering the last night she had seen him, the last kiss he had given her.

‘I hate you Justin. Why’d you have to go and get yourself killed’ she swiped her eyes against the tears threatening to fall.

With a sigh she pulled up a chair beside Laura-Kathrine and pulled down the candy wrapped and broke a piece off, “Want some?”

Laura-Kathrine nodded, “What girl can turn down a chocolate bar?” she teased.

Amber smiled, “Only a mentally challenged one”

They laughed and chewed on their chocolate.

“So what are you doing tonight?” Laura-Kathrine asked.

Amber glanced around the classroom at the kids all busy on their coloring page to go with their lesson.

“Lance Bass is taking me out tonight,” she replied.

Laura-Kathrine drew in a sharp breath of surprise, “Wait Lance as in…”

Amber nodded.

“You’re going out with Justin's best friend’s?”

Amber nodded, “Don’t look at me like that Laura-Kathrine . I didn’t even think of it like that. He was a friend of mine even when Justin was alive you know that. He stuck by me and…I thought you knew that?”

Laura-Kathrine shook her head. “I knew you’ve been seeing someone but I didn’t know it was Justin's best friend”

Amber sighed; “Well now you know, he’s really sweet and funny and I enjoy his company. I would’ve told you sooner but these last several months you’ve been really busy and I’ve hardly seen you”

Laura-Kathrine raked a hand back through her hair. “Yeah, so long as you’re happy, it’s good to know you’re moving on…You just caught me by surprise I guess”

“Jimmy! Quit picking on Lielle!” She sighed heavily. “I’m sorry Laura-Kathrine sometimes I think im with kindergarten or first graders”

Laura-Kathrine smiled faintly. “No problem I should be going anyway”

Amber hugged her friend goodbye and thanked her for coming before rushing off to break up the argument between the children.

‘Another typical day with Jimmy’ Amber thought with a roll of her eyes. ‘Just what I need to take my mind off of Justin’

************************************************************************

Laura-Kathrine sighed heavily as she removed her sweater and tossed it over a bed post before plopping into her computer chair and signing online. It had been a long day and she was glad to be home, able to finally just relax. With a weary sigh she signed into her AIM screen name and smiled when she saw NiceGuy25 was online.

Niceguy25: Hey you

PrincessKay21: Happy anniversary =)

NiceGuy25: Gee thanks, just the kind of anniversary I want to remember

PrincessKay21: Aww I’m sorry =(

NiceGuy25: No worries babe. How was your day?

PrincessKay21: Oh it was fine, missing you but I saw Amber today

Laura-Kathrine wondered if she had said the wrong thing when he didn’t respond for a few minutes. She brought he hand up to her lips and chewed her fingernails nervously. It was a habit of hers when she was nervous.

PrincessKay21: Hello? Did I offend you?

NiceGuy25: No, it wasn’t you Laura …How is she?

PrincessKay21: Well her monster of the month is Jimmy, he was giving her some problems but overall she was good. I think she misses you though…She masks things well but she still hurts ya know

NiceGuy25: :( I miss her too. How’d she look?

PrincessKay21: *grin* you’ve still got it bad. She looked good though. She added some highlights to her hair last month. It looks good. Her natural brown hair with light blonde highlights…all layered and styled…she looks sexy =)

NiceGuy25: Damn. Wish I could see it. =( and as for that comment little girl I’ll let it slide :-P

PrincessKay21: Little!? I’m only a couple of minutes younger than you don’t patronize me! *pouts*

NiceGuy25: Lol. *kisses your forehead and bows to the princess* I’m sorry little one

PrincessKay21: GRRRR why do I put up with you?

NiceGuy25: 0=-) Because you love me and can’t get enough of me ;)

PrincessKay21: *rolls eyes* oh yeah THAT’S it

NiceGuy25: Lol you know it is. But that gate keeper is back so alas I must bid you adieu before her comes in here and I get my butt whooped. Love ya girl.

PrincessKay21: :( awww Love you too, take care of yourself

NiceGuy25: :) I’ll try. Night kid

NiceGuy25 has signed off at 9:30 pm

PrincessKay21 has signed off at 9:31 pm

Laura-Kathrine sighed and signed off also.

“Sweet Dreams.” she whispered; touching her finger to her lips then touching them to the screen.

As she was getting ready for bed she realized she hadn’t told him about Lance.

‘I couldn’t…not right now’

She could imagine how hurt he would be and she didn’t want to, not tonight especially. With a heavy sigh at how complicated things were with her friends and the people she loved she climbed into bed and turned off the light; hoping that someday everything would be made right…back to the way things were before the horrible day that Justin was taken from them.

****************************************

He sat at the computer and sighed heavily. Closing his eyes he tried to picture her face…her smile. It came as easily now as it had the day he had first met her and had imagined her as his. Her long brown hair caught in the chill summer breeze. Her tiny hand brushing it back from her face delicately as a smile graced her face and she laughed with a friend; her deep green eyes twinkling with delight…so alive and

“Beautiful” he murmured to himself.

“Huh?” a voice asked cutting into his thoughts.

He glanced up at his friend Scott and shook his head.

“Fantasizing about her again?”

He laughed. “I can’t help it” he replied honestly.

Scott smiled faintly.

“You’re lucky, my images are fading…besides my girl has probably moved on by now…forgotten about me. Anyways the gatekeeper has summoned me so I must go and leave you to your day dreams” Scott teased and forced a smile although he could see right through it to the pain of the previous thought.

Once Scott had left he cracked his knuckles tensely.

‘Has she moved on?...oh god please no; please let her wait for me’

The thing that kept him going, that kept him where he was, was the dream that one day he would be free, and able to return to her; to see her again, to hear her laugh, to kiss her again… He raked a hand back through his hair and pushed his bangs back from his face. It was highly unlikely, but he could dream couldn’t he?

**************************************************************************

Back to index


Chapter 3: Chapter 3

Chapter 3


“So what’s your biggest dream?”

It was a beautiful night out. The moon was full, there wasn’t a single cloud in the sky and from the hilltop where Amber sat with Lance the stars twinkled brightly in the skies velvet folds, the lights from the city below added an enchanting view; a soft summer breeze combined with the view made for the perfect setting.

Amber brushed her hair back from her face as she turned to face Lance who was reclining next to her on the hood of his car. “What’s MY biggest dream?”

Lance shot her a grin and nodded, “That’s what I said, at least that’s what I thought I said”

Amber laughed and elbowed him against his side.

“We’ve got a feisty one here!” he teased her; his hand latching onto the offending elbow as he dragged her to lie beside him.

She giggled but didn’t put up much of a fight. Lance combed his fingers through her hair that was now splayed across his chest and wrapped his other arm around her. For a few minutes there was nothing said, neither moved save for Lance’s fingers raking gently through her hair.

Amber finally broke the silence, “I don’t really know…”

“Sure you do, what’s the one thing you desire the most?”

She sighed and stared up at the stars for several moments before asking, “Do you ever wish things could be as they were two years ago?”

Lance’s fingers stopped moving and he fought to hold back a wave of disappointment. “Not really”

“Why not?”

He sighed and gently turned her so she could face him. “Because then I wouldn’t be here with you right now”

She blushed and slapped his chest playfully. “But don’t you wish Justin were alive at least? I mean you didn’t like me then so it would all be okay”

He shook his head and tilted her chin upwards so he could press a chaste kiss to her soft lips. “You think I didn’t because I couldn’t let you. You were Justin’s girl and I was just a good friend…I didn’t want to seem the jealous friend.”

At her look of shock he continued on. “Don’t get me wrong, Justin was an amazing guy, we all loved him, but I’m glad I’m with you now, ya know?”

Amber smiled weakly and brushed his hair back from his eyes, the gesture bringing back an old memory.

*FLASHBACK*
“So what, are you like trying to make this a normal occurrence? I told you I’d have dinner with you, I didn’t think that you would take it as an agreement to dating you”

Justin laughed and smiled at the girl standing next to him.

“Yes but I don’t see you putting up an argument or saying no either” he argued back, with a good-natured wink in her direction.

Amber shoved him playfully to the side, “oh hush you”

He chuckled and she found she loved his smile.

“You know Amber I wouldn’t recommend law for you. You give in too easily. One look at your opponent and it’d be, ‘Your Honor I objec-…never mind, continue’” He said mocking her teasingly.

She laughed loudly, “You are so mean to me!”

He shot a glance around him and then pointed to himself, “who me…Never!”

“You just were!”

She stuck her tongue out at him and he laughed and hoisted her up over his shoulder.

“I will not take your disrespect missy; you need to RESPECT your elders”

She laughed at him, “You’re only 3 years older than me Justin now put me down!”

She was kicking her feet wildly, holding onto one of his shoulders while her other hand messed up his curly hair, trying any way she could to get him to let her down.

“Justin you’re embarrassing me!” she whispered loudly, blushing at the other people’s stares, laughter and pointing fingers as he carried her through the park.

He heaved an annoyed sigh and then placed her on the next park bench he saw.

Leaning forward he stuck his tongue out at her, “Spoil sport”

She slapped his arm playfully then adjusted her shirt and fixed her hair. Justin shook his head to try to fix the hair she messed up.

She laughed and shook her head at him. “Allow me?”

“Of course, seeing as how you messed it up in the first place”

Reaching out she ran her fingers through his hair; attempting to put it back into place and marveling at how soft his hair was.

She pulled back and smiled, “There all better”

He smiled softly down at her, “Thank you”

She blushed under his gaze; he had never quite looked at her that way before. His eyes met hers before dropping to her lips and then locking his gaze with her own. Moistening her lips nervously she stepped back and motioned towards the ice cream stand,

“You owe me an ice cream to make up for making me look like a fool back there”

He mentally berated himself for making her feel uncomfortable and for showing so much; forcing a smile he met her gaze with a mischievous glint in his eyes, “You’re making the rules up as you go aren’t you?”

She giggled, “Yes I am, not don’t change the subject and go over there and buy me an ice-cream, Rocky Road and double chocolate fudge on a waffle cone please”

He laughed and draped an arm around her shoulders, “What ever you say baby…whatever you say”

*ENDS FLASHBACK*

“Welcome back, where were you?”

Amber blushed and shook her head. “Sorry…I was just thinking”

Lance sighed knowing it was probably about Justin. He hated always feeling like he was competing with the memory of a dead guy. He loved Justin too. It just hurts him to always be second to the girl he was falling in love with. He was pulled from his thoughts at the feel of soft lips brushing against his.

“Did I say something wrong?” she asked looking down at him.

Lance shook his head.

“Nah, you’re fine, come here” he replied holding his arm out to her.

She smiled and crawled into his arms which he wrapped around her. He held her for a few minutes, losing himself in his thoughts while searching out the constellations that he knew before he heard her yawn.

“Tired much?”

She nodded. “Long day”

He sighed; “Alright then I’ll take you home”

She smiled softly. “Thanks Lance, it was nice though”

Leaning over he kissed her lightly, “It was nice and I understand. Working with kids can tire any woman out”

She smiled and leaned her head back against the seat. “You have no idea”

*********************************************************************

PrincessKay21: Wow! You’re on again?

NiceGuy25: Don’t sound too pleased :-P

PrincessKay21: Lol. No I’m surprised…normally you’re only on once a month…and that’s if I’m lucky.

NiceGuy25: Yea well, I told “the gatekeeper” I’d be doing some research. For what I can’t say but hey it gains me the computer and I can sneak on to talk to you ;)

PrincessKay21: Lol. YAY lucky me

NiceGuy25: ha-ha you are. Not everyone is lucky enough to talk to me

PrincessKay21: Oh believe me I know that. I’m glad you still talk to me though…can I ask you something though?

Nice Guy25: Go for it, though I may not be able to answer it

PrincessKay21: Do you think you’ll ever come back? For a visit or just be in the area or anything?

NiceGuy25: *sighs* I wish I knew Laura-Kathrine. I dream about it constantly and always hope for it but I really don’t know…

PrincessKay21: Oh…okay. Well I miss you

NiceGuy25: I miss you too…

NiceGuy25: Now it’s my turn to ask you a question

PrincessKay21: Ok Shoot

NiceGuy25: Last night I was talking to a friend and he said something about his girl moving on…forgetting about him… Has Amber…has she moved on? It’s been 2 years but…has she?

PrincessKay21: I wish I could lie to you and tell you no…but she started dating this guy almost 5-6 months ago.

NiceGuy25: Oh really? Who is he do you know him…better question do I know him?

PrincessKay21: Umm…yea

NiceGuy25: You’re reluctant to tell me I can tell…just tell me please I won’t get mad

PrincessKay21: *heavy sigh* It’s Lance

NiceGuy25: =-O my friend Lance Bass!?!?!?!?!

PrincessKay21: *winces* yes him......im really sry

NiceGuy25: Damn..... that hurts. How serious are they?

PrincessKay21: They’ve gone out just about every night this past week…she says of him and I quote ‘he’s really sweet and funny and I enjoy his company’

NiceGuy25: … wow…Well I got to go…thanks for not lying to me sis. Goodnight

PrincessKay21: I’m sorry there was something to say other than No…Goodnight I love you

NiceGuy25: Love you too

NiceGuy25 has signed off at 10:30 pm

PrincessKay21 has signed off at 10:32 pm

*********************************************************


“Mr. Timberlake ! What the hell do you think you’re doing?!”

He turned quickly at the angry voice of ‘the gatekeeper’ and leaned back in his seat looking up at the man and shrugged. “Nothing why?”

“Do you think this is a game we’re playing here!? You are in the witness protection program for undercover agents for a reason! I don’t think you get that Mr. Timberlake. Any contact with the outside world can jeopardize your location and your life! What don’t you get about this?!”

He smirked and crossed his arms over his chest shrugging again. “The no contact part”

“Laugh now smart ass! But you’re not only compromising your life but the life of Scott and others here as well”

“No sir I don’t think you get it! If I’m such a threat then send me out of here! I NEED to be out there. Keep me locked in here like a prisoner any longer and I’ll go insane! I need to be where the action is!”

“If it were up to me I would send you out of here in an instant. But the board thinks you’re one of our best and most important agents linked to this case right now. They’re waiting for things to cool down before we send you back out there so chill Justin alright! I’m really sick of your attitude”

Justin scowled up at the man but didn’t respond. After a several minute stare down between the men the ‘gatekeeper’ growled angrily and left the room.

Justin sighed heavily and leaned back in his seat. “Damn I hate that man”

Scott laughed, “You’ve got some major attitude man”

Justin nodded the corner of his lips tipping into a half smile. “It’s why I’m the best, but I can’t wait till I’m out there again”

Scott chuckled, “I know hat you mean…I’m dying to get out of here too…but who do you talk to online anyways?”

“My siste rLaura-Kathrine …the only one who knows I’m still alive”

“But you want to talk to your girl?”

Justin withheld a wince at what his sister had told him and nodded, “Yeah I want to talk to her, but apparently she’s not my girl anymore”

Scott got the drift and cringed. “That sucks man”

“Tell me about it” Justin replied in a breath.

“Well if you want to talk to her, it’s obvious you’re not gonna listen to Your commanding officer so why don’t you I'm her under a different name just to keep in touch with her?”

Justin threw a glance over at Scott and nodded. “Why didn’t I think of that? I knew there was a reason I kept you around”

Scott laughed and bowed mockingly, “Thank you thank you!”

Justin laughed and tossed a hacky sack over at Scott who threw it back and chuckled. After goofing off for a few minutes Justin turned to the computer and went on researching the case…for real this time; anxious for the next time his commanding officer would leave so he could talk to Amber once more.

******************************************************************

Back to index


Chapter 4: Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A full week had come and gone since the last time Laura-Kathrine had talked to her brother online. Today was an extremely hectic day for her.After getting off her volunteer job at the community hospital (which could wear anyone out because of the hours and requirements as well as the mental aspect) she was worn out but had still gone to dinner with her boyfriend Travis.They had gotten halfway through dinner before he complained about her multiple jobs and the hours she took with the hospital as a volunteer which took time that she could be spending with him.

The night ended with her storming out on him because he would not allow her to defend herself and explain herself to him and she didn’t feel that she should have to. All in all the day had been long and not very fun…but that’s life. After changing into her pajamas and washing her face she pulled her hair into a pony tail and slid into the computer chair, turning it on.

‘Time to relax’ she thought as she leaned her head back against the head board while she waited for her computer to boot up and sign her into the web.

NiceGuy25: Good you’re on!

PrincessKay21: So are you, and waiting for me I see.

She smiled. After a day like today it was nice to come home to a conversation with her ‘long lost’ brother.

NiceGuy25: Actually I was =)

PrincessKay21: Well that’s nice but it means you want something from me? =P

NiceGuy25: Lol…just the pleasure of talking to you

PrincessKay21: uh huh Not buying it man:-P spill

NiceGuy25: Lol okay fine…What do you think of me talking to Amber?

PrincessKay21: WHAT!?

PrincessKay21: You’re taking a risk with me you know how much worse it’d be if you were to talk to her!?

NiceGuy25: ha-ha I take it you don’t think it’s a good idea, but let me explain. You didn’t know this name either when I first I'm’d you. She won’t know this I'm name. I mean im not stupid enough to IM her using my old screenname and it’s not like I’m going to reveal myself to her, I’ll pretend to be a friend of yours or something who has heard a lot about her by talking to you. She won’t know it’s me I just want to talk to her…understand?

PrincessKay21: Umm…yeah I think so…so then what’s the problem?

NiceGuy25: I need you to ask her permission for a friend of yours to IM her…if it’s okay for you to give her IM to a guy who wants to talk to her

PrincessKay21: In other words you want me to act as middle man?

NiceGuy25: Lol if you want to think of it that way then yea

PrincessKay21: *sigh* the things I do for you man!

NiceGuy25: So you’ll do it then?

PrincessKay21: Yes. I’m meeting with Amber for a picnic on the lake on Sunday afternoon. I’ll broach the topic to her then for you.

NiceGuy25: Awesome! I knew I could count on you girl!

PrincessKay21: Yea, yea, well I’ve had a long day so I think I’m going to go pass out. Goodnight

***********************************************

The days seemed to inch slowly by and Amber couldn’t be more relieved when the weekend arrived. Friday night she treated herself to a nice night at home with Lance; drinking hot cocoa and doing a Ravensburger jigsaw puzzle of an African Animal Safari. She completed the edges while he found her pieces and worked on the middle.It was 2 am when they finished the puzzle…of course throw in a few make out sessions and teasing banter resulting in her being tickled till she cried ‘Uncle’ and you’ll realize it takes a lot longer to finish a puzzle than working straight through it.

On Saturday She walked along the beach; barefoot as the waves lapped against her ankles and she gave her mind wings to soar through the past, the present and the future, through dreams both new and old, old memories and new ones, and time to analyze the present; how things have changed, for the good and bad.

She skated through the harbor licking a Rocky Road Ice cream cone or sipping a Mocha Valencia, enjoying the feel of the ocean breeze lightly against her face, and the feel of her hair whipping in the wind.

It was these simple carefree days that she loved; Time to think and just let herself relax from a hectic schedule of fighting kids, staying up late every night planning the next day’s lesson. (So she doesn’t have to spend her weekends preparing the whole week’s lesson and not getting time for herself she developed this routine.) Saturday night she curled up on her couch under a warm flannel blanket with a cup of peppermint tea and a Mystery/Romance novel that she couldn’t put down and was up half the night trying to finish it.

Sunday finally rolled around and Amber was grateful for another day to just relax and time to spend with Laura-Kathrine but she also dreaded the return to school the following day. She hadn’t had a weekend like this in what seemed like forever and it was very refreshing, she wished it didn’t need to end.

Around 3:30 on Sunday, after enjoying the opportunity to sleep in late and treat herself to a nice breakfast with Lance, Amber headed down to the lake for a picnic with Laura-Kathrine .

She arrived a little before Laura-Kathrine and laid out a blanket on a grassy knoll overlooking the lake. While she waited for Laura-Kathrine to arrive she decided to start book two in the same series of the novel she had finished the night before.

“I’m exhausted!”

Amber glanced up from her book with a smile as Laura-Kathrine fell onto the blanket beside her,

“Good book?” Laura-Kathrine asked, motioning to the book Amber was reading.

Amber nodded and with one hand she grabbed a book next to her and handed it to Laura-Kathrine while she added her bookmark to the page she was on with the other.

“It’s amazing, that’s book one to the series I’m reading. I brought it cause I thought you might like to read it”

Laura-Kathrine flipped the book over and read the back before nodding, “Sounds great, thanks”

“You’re welcome”

The girls filled each other in on their weeks since the last time they had seen each other, and talked of random things as well while Laura-Kathrine set out their picnic lunch and handed Amber a plate.

“So, tell me” Laura-Kathrine began after swallowing a bite of her fried chicken, “Do you love Lance?”

Amber nearly chocked on her soda, “do I love Lance?”

Laura-Kathrine nodded. “I don’t know,”

“How can you not know? You either do or you don’t” Laura-Kathrine argued.

Amber sighed heavily. “I don’t know if I can say I’ve crossed that line with him or not. I mean I don’t think he’s said it to me yet either…”

“Didn’t you love my brother by this point though?”

Amber blushed lightly, “With your brother it was different. He was my best friend and confidant, he encouraged me, he went out of his way to do little things for me just to make me feel special, He didn’t want anything from me but gave me everything I ever wanted and he listened to me and he didn’t just take in that way but he gave to me as well. We had no secrets…a guy like that is impossible not to love.”

Laura-Kathrine smiled softly, “I know he loved you” she said reassuringly. ‘He still does.’

Amber smiled faintly and the two women lapsed into silence. After lunch they spent the day on the lake; they rented wave runners and raced on the lake and then treated themselves to a coffee and ice-cream as the sun was going down and then returned to their blanket on the knoll overlooking the lake and lay down looking up at the stars.

“Do you remember the first time we came here together?” Laura-Kathrine asked, breaking the silence.

Amber laughed, “How could I forget. That was the day you introduced me to your brother”

“He was quite taken with you and disappointed when you said you had a boyfriend and saw he was with you even”

Amber laughed, “Nuh-uh!”

Laura-Kathrine nodded, “Oh yeah, I heard it all the way home”

When Amber didn’t seem to believe her Laura-Kathrine told her the story of what had happened after they left.

*FLASHBACK*

“That was fun! Aren’t you glad you came?” A younger Laura-Kathrine asked, glancing over at her older brother.

Justin chuckled, “Yes it was very fun…wherever did you meet Amber?”

Laura-Kathrine smiled over at him. “I met her in a class of mine at the Junior College; we were partnered up and hit it right off”

“She seems like an interesting person”

“Oh she is, she’s a teacher at Nicholas Elementary but takes photography on the side as a hobby of hers”

“Oh really? So what’s a woman like that doing with my sister?” he teased.

Laura-Kathrine elbowed his side and stuck her tongue out at him.

Justin chuckled, “Not while I’m driving kid”

Laura-Kathrine rolled her eyes at him.

“You know I’m kidding anyways, you know I love ya kid”

“Yea I do, and the question isn’t what she is doing with me the question is what does my brother want with her?”

Justin threw a glance over at her and laughed. “Who says I want anything with her?”

“It’s rather obvious, we all saw you staring at her all day and you won’t shut up about her now”

It was Justin’s turn to roll his eyes at her, “It wasn’t all day, it was just a few glances, I could hardly get a word in with her cuz Mr. jealous kept dragging her away”

Laura-Kathrine laughed, “It sounds like you’re the jealous one”

Justin chuckled and shook his head but didn’t reply for a few minutes.

“And if I am?” he finally asked.

Laura-Kathrine gaped at him. “You? Jealous over a girl? Mr. I’ll be married to my job I don’t want a girlfriend?”

“Hey I didn’t say I WAS jealous…” he tried to defend himself but Laura-Kathrine cut him off,

“You didn’t say you weren’t either”

“Alright smarty pants, it’s a little too early to decide anyways, it’d be interesting getting to know her though”

Laura-Kathrine rolled her eyes, “Alright I get the hint, you can come hang out with us sometimes and I’ll see if she’ll let me give you her AIM name”

Justin smiled, “That’s all I ask”

*ENDS FLASHBACK*

Amber laughed when Laura-Kathrine finished the story, “I couldn’t tell I’d made such an impression on that first day”

Laura-Kathrine giggled, “Yeah right, you’re such a flirt. You were flirting with my brother and that’s why your boyfriend kept dragging you away”

Amber blushed, “I can’t help it. It’s a natural reaction in a girl to flirt with a guy, especially when he’s as gorgeous as your brother was”

Laura-Kathrine smiled and then remembered her conversation with her brother she had had a few nights ago. “Speaking of guys and AIM names…”

“Uh-oh, do I want to hear this?” Amber teased, interrupting.

Laura-Kathrine laughed, “Just shut up and listen. There’s this guy I work with and whenever we talk your name comes up a lot. Well he thinks you sound interesting and would like to talk to you. He wanted me to ask if it’d be okay for me to give him your Screenname so that he could IM you. What do you say?”

Amber seemed to think about it a minute and sighed, “So let me get this straight, you talk to him about me and now he wants to talk to me for himself?”

Laura-Kathrine shrugged “Yea something like that”

“How come I haven’t heard about him before?” Amber asked skeptically.

“I don’t know, I work multiple jobs with multiple people it must not cross my mind”

“Alright fine, if I don’t like him I can always block him”

Laura-Kathrine laughed, “You’re such a bitch”

Amber smiled, “I know I can’t help it”

“Well don’t let him know that, and he’ll be thrilled to know he can talk to you”

Amber smiled, “Let’s hope the feeling is mutual”

Laura-Kathrine smiled to herself, ‘oh believe me…it will be’

Back to index


Chapter 5: Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Karl Manning, otherwise known as “the gate keeper”, sat around a table with Linda Hall and Hank Plata. They were discussing what to do with the situation with Justin. Everyone knew he was a vital part to their current case in Los Angeles California but they also knew he was growing restless and full of energy he could do nothing with.

“He’s becoming a handful” Hank added into their discussion.

“You have no idea” Karl muttered under his breath while twirling a pencil in his fingers; a sign of deep thought and stress.

The group talked of what to do with him and how to keep him occupied AND safe but when it came to Justin, it was anyone’s guess as to what he thought, felt and what to do about him.

Meanwhile Justin decided to sign online to see what answer Amber had given to his sister regarding his correspondence with her under his fake screenname. It was 6 pm, a whole lot earlier than Laura-Kathrine was normally on but he had decided to risk it. He sighed heavily when he saw she was not yet online and was about to sign off when her screenname popped up; he couldn’t help the smile that creeped across his handsome features.

NiceGuy25: HEY! I was hoping you’d be on

PrincessKay21: You know…I should be jealous that you are more excited about the prospect of talking to Amber than you are to talk to me now:-P

NiceGuy25: Lol. I still love talking to you, you know that Laura K =) But I am anxious to know what she said

PrincessKay21: All worked up over a woman…would never have expected that from the man who would rather be married to his job:-P

NiceGuy25: Drop that already and these last 2 years I pretty much have been…

PrincessKay21: I know. I just had to tease you about that. She was a bit suspicious as to why she’s never heard about this partner of mine but in the end she said yes. This mystery man could have her AIM name cuz I quote “if worst comes to worst I can always block him”

NiceGuy25: Lol she’s such a brat. So what’s her screenname, I doubt it’s still JuJuGrl ;)

PrincessKay21: Ha-ha, you’re right it’s not, but it still relates to something between you guys anyways…

NiceGuy25: Really? How?

PrincessKay21: What was the nickname you always had for her? What did you always call her?

NiceGuy25: umm I called her a lot of things…

PrincessKay21: What did you normally call her even though she seemed not to like it?

NiceGuy25: Little lady?

PrincessKay21: There ya go. She would always correct you saying its petite not little but after you ‘died’ the thought became endearing rather than annoying. So her IM name is LittleLady22

Justin smiled softly. It appeared she had cared as deeply for him as he still did for her…

‘until she decided to move on’ he thought with a disappointed sigh before thinking that if he really had Died he wouldn’t have wanted her to mourn forever but would’ve wanted her to find someone special.

‘BUT I’M NOT DEAD!’ his inner voice cried out to him.

He sighed not wanting to get in a fight with himself over her and returned to the conversation with his sister.

NiceGuy25: =) Thanks Laura K, I owe you one.

PrincessKay21: You don’t owe me anything except a promise that you will be safe and not risk doing something stupid because of your emotions for her

NiceGuy25: And here I thought I was the older of us:-P

PrincessKay21: Just promise me

NiceGuy25: Alright kid…I promise.

PrincessKay21: Good. She should be on in a few minutes so enjoy your conv with her but I gotta date with Travis tonight so I’ll talk to you later. I love you

NiceGuy25: Alright Laura K. Have fun and I love you too, and thanks again

PrincessKay21 has signed off at 6:45 pm

Justin sighed. He loved his chats with his sister Laura-Kathrine and looked forward to them. She was such a good kid and they had a great familial relationship with her that had only deepened after his disappearance. However his thoughts were quickly swayed from her at the thought of talking to Amber again. When he saw she signed on 15 minutes later he swallowed nervously, there was so much he wanted to say to her but because of his situation he couldn’t and had to hide his feelings for her…it felt like starting at square one all over again. Finally deciding to go for it he sent her an IM.

NiceGuy25: Hello Amber

LittleLady22: Umm…hi

Justin smiled softly. She always was a shy one and he had found it adorable…or she had been mostly shy till their last month together when she had actually started opening up to him and initiating hugs and kisses. He hoped she hadn’t changed; he loved her just the way she was.

NiceGuy25: Sorry if I scared you. I’m a friend of Laura-Kathrine's; you told her I could talk to you

LittleLady22: Oh that’s right…just took me by surprise since I don’t know any nice guys ;)

NiceGuy25: Lol. Well I’m pleased to be the first, however from what I hear of you, you don’t seem the type of person to attract jerks…Laura-Kathrine says you bring out the best in guys


‘The way you did for me’ He thought with a shake of his head.

LittleLady22: Yeah well Laura-Kathrine tends to exaggerate concerning me. We’re best friends, even dated her brother for awhile so she has to say nice things about me :-P

Justin inhaled sharply. She was mentioning him to himself? Maybe she still did care…

NiceGuy25: Dated? You don’t anymore? Was he one of the jerks?

LittleLady22: Not at all…he umm…he was killed on the job 2 yrs ago or so =( I thought Laura-Kathrine would have told you this?

Justin swallowed back the beginnings of tears. He didn’t know how hard it would be talking to her again and not be able to say ‘I’m not dead! It’s me!’ He decided to glance into her profile and felt a tear roll down his cheek at the tiny italic print at the bottom of her profile that read: RIP Justin Timberlake- I love you! that she was still waiting for a reply and carefully covered up his little mistake.

NiceGuy25: She may have…I know that one of the ladies I work with had a brother disappear a few years ago…I must have forgotten it was Laura-Kathrine’s

LittleLady22: its fine…Sorry our conv started out on such a serious note…tell me a little bit about yourself?

NiceGuy25: :-) It’s no problem. What do you want to know?

LittleLady22: Well, what do you do? How old are you? Favorite color? Single or in a relationship? Whatever you want to tell me:-P

NiceGuy25: =) Feisty I see…I like that ;) Favorite color is Navy Blue, I’m single…last relationship was 2 yrs ago, and I wait tables with Laura-Kathrine and I’m 27 what about you?

LittleLady22: I’m 24, I am an elementary school teacher and I’m currently in a relationship

NiceGuy25: oh, How long have you been with this guy?

LittleLady22: Jealous? ;)

Justin raked a hand back through his curls; ‘you have no idea’

NiceGuy25: Just asking but what would you do if I was ;)

LittleLady22: I was kidding and I know you aren’t. I’ve been with him for almost 7 months now

Justin was silent for several heartbeats trying to cool his emotions. The thought of some other man holding Amber caused his blood to boil followed by sadness that Lance would have longer with her than he had.

‘I need to get out of here’ he thought as he held his face in his hands; aching for things to be the way they once were.

Glancing up he curbed his emotions thankful for the opportunity to talk with her at least.

NiceGuy25: Lucky man

LittleLady22: quit flirting :-P

NiceGuy25: ha-ha take it how you want to :-P

LittleLady22: =) alright I will, just not now however.

NiceGuy25: Lol. Why not?

LittleLady22: My boyfriend is here, I’m dying to see the new action movie =-D

NiceGuy25: Ahh, okay well enjoy then

LittleLady22: I will. It was nice talking to you…. Lol I don’t know your name?

Justin thought of a name for a moment and then typed in Jared. It wasn’t the complete truth as he wished he could give it to her.

NiceGuy25: =) Jared and it was nice talking to you too Amber

LittleLady22: Alright Jared I’ll talk to you later…Good night

NieGuy25: Goodnight little lady ;)

NiceGuy25 has signed off at 7:29 pm.

LittleLady22 has signed off at 7:30 pm.

Justin leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. When Scott had mentioned speaking with Amber he hadn’t thought everything through. If he had he would have realized how hard it would be to speak with her as someone other than who he was. His feelings for her still ran deep, probably because he had just had to disappear but was taken suddenly from her; not for a typical breakup or argument that could serve to quench those feelings. As he went about his nightly routine he wondered if she still missed him and he pondered how he could escape from this place and return home.

********************************************************************************************************

Amber fought back a wave of sadness as Nice Guy called her little lady, bringing back memories of Justin. Stifling the unwanted feelings she signed offline and turned to see
Lance glancing at her with a quizzical expression. “Who’s nice guy?”

Amber laughed. “Well hello to you too”

Lance closed the distance between them and closed her in his arms, kissing her softly. “Hello”

Amber rested her head against his chest as he held her and sighed contentedly. “That’s better; Nice Guy is a friend of Laura-Kathrine’s who, according to Laura-Kathrine, wished to chat with me”

Lance still looked skeptical but let it pass.

“Well are you ready to go?” he asked, releasing her from his arms.

Once Amber was free from his hold she strode to her closet and pulled on her black polyether jacket. Lance came up behind her and freed her hair from the jacket and bent to press a kiss to her right temple.

“You’re so beautiful” he whispered.

Amber smiled. “Thank you, but if we don’t leave right now we’re going to miss our movie.”

Lance pulled back and took her hand, “Alright then, let’s go”

The movie was enjoyable but Lance enjoyed the evening after the movie even better. Afterwards he took her to his apartment where they made chocolate chip cookies together and then sat outside beneath the stars.

“I have the most beautiful girlfriend” Lance said gently, pressing a kiss to the hand he held in his.

Amber smiled and looked over at him, “You’re such a liar”

Lance shook his head and trailed his knuckles gingerly down her cheek, his face completely serious.

“I’m not kidding. I don’t ever want to have to let you go” he whispered.

Amber blushed. “Well I don’t think you’ll ever have to”

Lance smiled tenderly at her,

“I’m so glad” he whispered and scooted closer to her, pressing his lips against hers; losing himself in their softness and her sweet, intoxicating taste.

Her arm came up and wrapped around his neck and as she kissed him, Laura-Kathrine’s question came to mind. Did she love him? No, not yet, but she could see herself coming too eventually. She smiled against his mouth causing him to pull away.

“What’s so funny?” he whispered huskily, trailing his hand down her side absently.

“Nothing at all” she replied and cuddled closer to him. “Nothing at all”

Lance smiled down at the woman lying beside him, he was definitely falling in love with her and he hoped she felt the same. With a content sigh he pulled her against him and looked up at the vast sky, with the woman he loved held close.

*******************************************************************************************

Back to index


Chapter 6: Chapter 6

Chapter 6

It had been 2 months since Justin had started talking to Amber and everyday he grew more homesick and restless. After 2 more months and a total of nearly three years total of waiting Justin finally decided to do something about it. He stormed angrily into the room where the board was meeting; knowing better than to disrupt them but not caring.

“What is the meaning of this agent!?” Karl growled upon the intrusion; his brows furrowed in an intense glare directed at Justin who merely scowled right back.

After a stare down between the two men Justin turned his attention to the others in the room.

“It has been nearly 3 years since you have kept me locked up here! I feel like a lion in a cage, I take 2 steps and the chains come on! I demand that you release me from these chains or you leave me no choice but to turn in my gun and my badge and leave you with someone lesser to finish this case!”

Justin wasn’t conceited but he knew he was good and indispensable to the case and they would never let him go; by the shocked almost worried looks on their faces he knew he had guessed correctly. He turned when he felt a hand on his shoulder and glanced over to see Hank standing behind him.

“Don’t do anything rash Mr. Timberlake. Just go back to your room and let us discuss what to do and we’ll let you know as soon as we decide something.”

Justin nodded curtly and headed out the door but not before exchanging one last glare with Karl.

“So what do we do about him? He’s growing extremely restless and I think he’s crazy enough to do what he threatened,” Hank said discouraged as he returned to his seat.

“I personally wouldn’t mind getting rid of him,” Karl Muttered bitterly.

“Even a blind man could see your disdain for each other” Hank scoffed. “But Justin is the best this agency’s got…so anyone have any ideas?”

Ideas were passed back and forth but Jenny was oblivious to it. She had grown rather fond of the handsome agent and would hate to see him go but knew it would be the only way to keep him. After tossing ideas back and forth in her head for a few minutes she finally spoke up.

“I think I may have an idea, sir.”

All eyes turned to her, most having forgotten about her in her silence. When she had everyone’s attention she proceeded.

“Agent Justin Timberlake has a few more months to lay low so I say we send him home. He lives further up north anyways so if he took his work with him what could it hurt? I’m sure his family would love to see him. If I thought I lost a loved one I would be thrilled and relieved to know he wasn’t really dead. He would have his freedom, we wouldn’t have to listen to Karl’s bickering and Mr. Timberlake would still work for the agency…everyone would win.”

Hank looked thoughtful for a minute but smiled. “It’s a great idea, when this is over you can go tell him but now that that is settled we can get back to the other matters we still need to discuss”

Jenny nodded and smiled; she couldn’t wait to see his face when he heard the news.

... … … … …

Justin growled angrily as he looked at the clock for the umpteenth time in 20 minutes. He was growing anxious and upset.

“Damn it!” he cursed as he threw the hackey sack against the adjacent wall.

“Watch it there agent.”

Justin jumped up when he heard the voice behind him and turned. “Sorry Jenny, what’s up?” he asked

Jenny fought to hide a smile and held out an envelope to him. He looked from her to the envelope and back again; an eyebrow arched in question.

“What’s this?” he asked as he took it.

“That, agent, is your itinerary. Pack your bags agent because day after tomorrow you’re going home. You’re plane leaves from San Diego at 4:45 am and you’ll arrive around 7:45 am…”

Justin's mouth dropped open and he pulled the paper out of the envelope and looked it over to make sure she wasn’t lying. Sure enough it said everything she had just told him.

“This is real?”

Jenny smiled, pleased she could bring such joy to his already handsome features.

“Indeed it is, the only thing is you’ll have to take your work with you and not venture into LA for any reason. You must also send a monthly report to Karl or myself for review other than that just lay low and enjoy yourself”

Justin was so thrilled he could hug her. “Wow, thank you so much.”

Jenny smiled softly, and letting her guard down rose on her tip toes and kissed his cheek, “Glad to help. Take care of yourself though Agent. We’re still going to need you.”

Justin nodded, “I will, and thanks again.”

They shook hands professionally and then Jenny took her leave so Justin could have his privacy and pack. As soon as Jenny left Justin fell back onto his bed, a wide smile gracing his features in shock and pleasure; his only thought,

‘I’m FINALLY going home!!!!’

He couldn’t wait to see his sister and Amber. He knew that she was serious about Lance but he knew he wouldn’t give up on her. He would never hurt her purposely to sabotage her relationship with Lance but he intended to show her that he was still in love with her and she with him; he hoped with everything in him that she still was. If she didn’t he intended to make her love him again to show her that they were meant to be together and that he would always love her.

He smiled softly, he would win her back and he prayed she would come willingly. The last kiss they shared came back to mind and his heart skipped a beat; closing his eyes he allowed himself to dwell on that memory and with a smile on his face he fell asleep; dreaming of the time when they would be together again.

... … … … …

“Stop it!”

Lance glanced down into his girlfriend’s face and smiled as he watched her laugh and felt her squirming beneath him as he tickled her.

“Then say you’re sorry” he said lightening up with his fingers to let her breath.

“But that would be lying…my mommy taught me to never lie.”

Lance chuckled at her feigned innocence and exhaled a deep breath while shaking his head disappointedly, “Well then you leave me no choice but to tickle you again!” Amber squeaked as his fingers started moving again.

“Stop it I’ll scream!” she panted through her laughing as she writhed beneath him.

Lance smirked mischievously and shook his head,

“No you won’t,” he stated as a matter of fact.

When Amber opened her mouth to scream Lance’s mouth lowered to hers. After a few moments when he felt amber responding to his kiss he quit tickling her and instead let his hands trail down her sides tenderly.

A few minutes later he pulled away and looked into his girlfriend’s flushed face, and how her chest rose and fell with her heavy breaths. He smiled sweetly at her and brushed her hair back from her face,

“I love you,” he whispered.

Amber felt her heart stop for a moment, her tongue darting out to moisten her lips nervously. “What did you say?”

Lance kissed her lips chastely and brushed his knuckles down her cheeks before repeating himself, “I’m in love with you Amber.”

Her mouth opened to say something and then shut again, not knowing how to respond. She cared deeply for him but she wanted to be sure it was love before uttering those words back. Lance seemed to notice this and pressed a kiss to her forehead gently.

“I’m not asking you to say those words back to me right now. I just want to let you know how I’m feeling…how I’ve felt for awhile now but didn’t know how or when to tell you. I want you to tell me in your own time though. I don‘t want to pressure you.”

Amber felt herself tear up at his thoughtfulness and smiled up at him, “Thank you.”

“No problem sweetheart.”

He closed her in his arms and was content just to hold her; relieved to have his feelings for her out in the open and hoping for the day when she would say the words back to him.

... … … … …

Justin stepped off the plane and sighed deeply. ‘It’s good to be home.’

He took in the sights around him and smiled.

“Justin!”

He had no more than stepped into the baggage claim area then he heard his sister’s voice calling out to him. He turned quickly and saw his sister’s petite form running into his arms. He hugged her tightly and swung her around before holding her away from him to peruse her.

It had been almost 3 years since he had seen her and she had grown by a few inches though still petite and her golden brown hair was styled differently but she was still his beautiful baby sister. Swiping the tears that ran down her cheeks away softly he hugged her gently.

“I missed you kid.”

“I missed you too Justin, welcome home.”

“It feels great to be back.”

Laura-Kathrine laughed through her tears of joy upon seeing her brother ‘back from the grave’. Justin smiled, feeling the same way but holding his emotions at bay for a more private location.

“You look good KL.”

Laura-Kathrine smiled mischievously over at him as they walked to the car, “If you think I look good you should see Amber.”

Justin chuckled, “Still the matchmaker I see.”

Laura-Kathrine giggled, “True, but when it came to Amber you did your own matchmaking.”

Justin shook his head and climbed into the passenger seat. “This is true, how is she by the way?”

“She’s doing fine, her and Lance are taking a carriage ride tonight followed by a picnic up at Holly Point…she really likes him Justin.”

Justin sighed, “I know but I’m not going to give up on her just yet. Anyways enough about Amber how are things between you and Travis?”

Laura-Kathrine shook her head and glanced quickly over at her brother as she had been doing since they left the airport unable to believe he was really there. “I broke up with him.”

“Why?”

“He was too clingy, too demanding. He wouldn’t let me pursue anything I wanted to. It was either give up my dreams for him or give him up and I want someone who’ll support me either way. With all my dreams or if I had no dreams and Travis just wouldn’t.

He said I spent too much time with my head up in the clouds then I did with him…I was getting sick of it so I broke up with him over dinner night before last.”

Justin thought she was wise in doing so, wanting better for his sister than that. “I’m sorry for you but I think you did the right thing, you deserve better.”

She smiled softly, “Thanks Justin.”

She turned onto their road and stopped the car in front of their house with a happy sigh.

“Welcome home Justin.”

Justin smiled over at her before taking in the sights around him. He breathed in the scent of pine and the scenic view from their acreage surrounding Lake Tahoe; the familiarity washing over him like a wave.

“It’s great to be back Laura-Kathrine…it’s great to be back.”

Wrapping his free arm around his sister’s shoulders brother and sister slipped inside the house; all the while Justin was thinking, ‘There is no place I’d rather be. It truly is good to be home!’

Back to index


Chapter 7: Chapter 7

Chapter 7

“Welcome home Justin”

Justin smiled over at his sister before taking in the sights around him. He breathed in the scent of pine and took in the scenic view from their acreage surrounding Lake Tahoe; the familiarity washing over him like a wave.

“It’s great to be back Laura-Kathrine…it’s great to be back”

Wrapping his free arm around his sister’s shoulders brother and sister slipped inside the house; all the while Justin was thinking,

‘There is no place I’d rather be. It truly is good to be home!’


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Justin had been home for a few days just relaxing and enjoying the time with his sister but he was itching to see Amber again. He didn’t know how to approach her though. With a sigh he crawled from his bed and turned on the computer. He found he couldn’t sleep and thought he’d just work for a few hours.

His fingers danced over the keys as he did his research for the case and he forgot the time or even where he was, he was completely focused on his work. A flashing box at the bottom of his screen pulled his gaze to it and he smiled to himself when he saw Amber had written him.

LittleLady22: Welcome back!

NiceGuy25: Thanks, how’ve you been?

LittleLady22: Excellent!!!! Life couldn’t be better…how about you?

Justin was pleased to hear she was happy but felt saddened to know her happiness wasn’t caused by him but by Lance.

He sighed heavily, ‘I’ve GOT to see her again but she would never agree to meet with me in person…she’d think I was lying’

He groaned wondering how he would ever see her again. When he glanced up at the screen again an idea formed in his mind.

‘it just might work’ he thought with a smile and began to type to her again.

NiceGuy25: Hey listen. I’m off on Saturday and was wondering if I could meet you in person for lunch?

Amber stared at the screen a few moments in her surprise at his question. It’d be nice to meet NiceGuy25. He seemed like a great guy and she felt close to him just by talking to him so after weighing the pros and cons she finally typed in an agreement.

LittleLady22: Sure why not?

NiceGuy25: :-D Great! How about at the old Mexican restaurant down by the lake around 2:30?

LittleLady22: I’ll be there but how will I know who you are?

NiceGuy25: Great! Oh believe me you’ll know me when you see me if not I’ll find you

LittleLady22: Okay, well I got to go. Bye Jared

NiceGuy25: Goodbye little lady

Justin signed off and leaned back in his chair. He couldn’t believe it. In just 2 days he would see Amber again. He could hardly wait.

……………………………….

“Wait you did what!?”

Laura-Kathrine had returned from work about 45 minutes ago. It was dark and she was tired; the last thing she had needed to hear when asking her brother about his day, was that he would be meeting with Amber in two days time under a fake name to get her to meet him. Justin chuckled at the look of complete shock on his younger sisters face and rose to hug her in reassurance.

“All I said was I’d like to meet her and then she would surely know me by face or if happen chance she didn’t I would surely recognize her…you think it’s a bad idea?”

Laura-Kathrine leaned back in her brothers arms with a heavy sigh, “No, I understand you want to see her…but surprising her like that I can guarantee won’t be in your best interest.”

Justin raked a hand back through his curly hair, “See that’s where you and I differ…I think if she knew I was alive and I suddenly called her she’d freak out and refuse to see me”

Laura-Kathrine laughed, “Probably right…she’d think someone was playing games with her”

Justin released his younger sister with a smile. “I knew you’d see things my way and believe me I’ll be careful with her”

“I know you will Justin…but when it came to you, you always held the power to hurt her without realizing it…I don’t think anything’s changed”

justin nodded grimly, “I can only hope it hasn’t…but I’m going to bed now…it’s been a long day”

Laura-Kathrine sat at the table with a cup of fresh coffee and looked over at her brother heading up the stairs; she still couldn’t believe he was there...staying with her in her house back from the dead. “Good night Justin”

Justin stopped on a stair and turned to peek down at his sister, “You don’t work tomorrow right?” he asked.

Laura-Kathrine cocked her head up to look at him and shook her head, “No why?”

Justin smirked at her with a mischievous twinkle in his eye that made her think SHE was the older sibling.

“Want to make some mischief?”

Laura-Kathrine laughed loudly at him thinking how he really hadn’t changed any.

“Go to bed crazy man”

Justin pouted playfully and slowly trudged upstairs to bed; muttering quietly, but loudly enough for her to hear, about what a party pooper his younger sister was. Laura-Kathrine shook her head with a laugh.

‘It’s great to have you home Justin…I can only hope Amber thinks the same thing’.

…………………..

“Lance stop! If you keep doing that I’ll never have this pie done in time for dinner at your parents house”

Amber was baking an Dutch apple pie. Lance’s parents loved Amber and wanted her over for dinner that night with their son. It was hard to do however when he would come up behind her and wrap his arms around her waist to plant kisses along her neck.

“You’re such a distraction!” she scolded him.

“I am not, you are”

Amber rolled her eyes, “And just HOW am I a distraction Lance?”

Turning her in his arms he trailed his knuckles down her cheek in a tender gesture.

“You’re just standing there looking so cute and innocent I can’t entertain thoughts on anything other than you”

Amber’s lips parted in surprise at his answer and Lance smiled, closing her mouth with his index finger.

She smiled, “You’re so cute Lance”

He bent to press a kiss to her full, soft lips, “So are you,”

She leaned back in his arms with a contented sigh. He was perfect. He wasn’t nor would he ever be Justin. True she didn’t feel the same electrifying shock every time she saw or kissed him, but there were sparks, he treated her like a princess…Turning in his arms she wrapped her own around his neck and drew his head down to hers for a kiss that quickly turned passionate.

She pulled away when she was out of breath and resting her forehead against his softly breathed, “I love you”

It was true. It wasn’t the same all consuming love she felt for Justin that had burned her but it was there just the same. She loved how she felt when he kissed her, loved how he made her laugh and whispered sweet things to her, how he didn’t push her towards intimacy…he was just Lance.

Lance drew back a step. “What?”

He hadn’t expected to hear those words so soon from her lips and wanted to be sure he had.

She grinned softly, obviously knowing what he was thinking. “I said I love you Lance”

His grin reached from ear to ear as he lifted her in his arms and spun her around. She giggled and he stifled it with a searing kiss.

“You just made me the happiest man alive”

He kissed her again.

She didn’t resist. He didn’t think she would.

Back to index


Chapter 8: Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Lance drew back a step.

“What?”

He hadn’t expected to hear those words so soon from her lips and wanted to be sure he had.

She grinned softly, obviously knowing what he was thinking. “I said I love you Lance”

His grin reached from ear to ear as he lifted her in his arms and spun her around. She giggled and he stifled it with a searing kiss.

“You just made me the happiest man alive”

He kissed her again. She didn’t resist. He didn’t think she would.

……………………………….......

“Okay…deep breaths”

Justin straightened his jacket for the tenth time in nervous anticipation. Any minute now Amber, the woman he had loved more than life itself, would stroll through those doors. He couldn’t believe that in a few mere seconds he would lay eyes on her for the first time in 2 years.

His heart was already pounding at a quicker pace than it had just seconds before. He shook his head, as he tried to get a grip on himself…and that was when he saw her….

………………………………................................

Amber hesitated outside the restaurant doors and took a deep breath. She considered turning back and heading for her car. She didn’t normally agree to meet strange men for lunch but Laura-Kathrine knew him and liked him and at times he reminded her a lot of Justin and made her laugh.

‘It’s no big deal’ she thought and with that she pulled the door open and stepped inside.

As the door closed behind her she began to look around the room and brushed her hair back off her forehead and behind her ear.

‘You’ll know me when you see me…how cryptic is that?’

As she glanced to the right about 3 tables from the center towards the back she saw him. He slowly rose, locking eyes with her. Her jaw dropped open and a hand flew to cover her mouth as he made his way towards her.

Those deep blue eyes she had so loved stared into hers unblinkingly, the way that had endeared him to her, the hair she had loved running her fingers through. Shaking her head she turned and fled from the restaurant. Justin, her beloved Justin was alive?

“Amber wait!”

She heard his voice behind her and the familiarity of her name on his tongue, the timbers of his voice caressing the name, brought tears to her eyes and made her run even faster. A hand clamped around her elbow and turned her towards him,

“Amber stop, let me explain”

Angrily she swiped at the tears falling from her eyes, “Explain!? You want to explain to me what you’re doing standing here…2 years after I went to your funeral, watched you lowered into the grave…2 years after you showed up at my house kissed me and made me think everything was okay, that you’d see me in a few days and then disappeared from my life forever…why I was never worth keeping in touch with? Need I continue…J…Jus-”

She turned away unable to say his name. Rubbing her temples she released several deep breaths repeating over and over as her tears fell

“It’s just a dream…it’s not real…wake up Amber”

Justin cursed himself for doing this to her and did the only thing he could think of; pulled her into his arms and held her close, rubbing his hand in soothing circles across her back.

The familiarity sent the all familiar jolt through his chest at how perfect she fit him and how good she felt there before reminding himself that she had a boyfriend and released her as he did he felt her hand cross his face and felt the sting of the blow as she stepped back.

“You wanted to explain so explain!”

Justin released a breath. This wasn’t how he had pictured their reunion. Or maybe he had but had sugar coated it in his eagerness to see her.

“I wanted to talk to you but for reasons I can’t explain I couldn’t…”

“Reasons you can’t explain how original!“ She scoffed throwing her hands in the air.

“I thought about you everyday since I left but you obviously can’t say the same” He was growing frustrated now and it was beginning to show.

“That’s not fair! I love Lance and he loves me! What did you expect me to do! wait forever for someone who wasn’t coming back! Who was supposedly dead!?”

Justin's anger suddenly dissipated. “You love him?”

Amber raised her head deliberately and stared him straight in the eye as she delivered her blow, “Yes. I do. I love him. And at least I know he won’t just disappear tomorrow”

Justin winced and reached for one of her hands which she quickly pulled away. He sighed in defeat. “That night at your house, the kiss, the words…it was all sincere”

“Gee thanks for clearing that up for me. Now at least I know it’s not just cuz you wanted to get laid before you left me” she lashed out.

Justin’s jaw dropped momentarily,

“What happened to you!? I never pushed you towards sex. It was never about that. I had... I had a hard day at work and all day the only thing I had on my mind was you. The day dragged by. That kiss wasn’t to get you worked up so I could get laid.

It was all my pent up frustration at not being with you and missing you that had been bothering me all day and was to serve to show you my love for you. Not to get you to “make love to me.” -he raked a hand back through his thick curls and sighed heavily before continuing-

“I got a page and I left to see what it was about. I can’t tell you the details but I never expected it to be as drastic as it ended up being. I never expected to have had to fake my death or be hidden from you for 2 years. The only thing that kept me from slitting my wrists in agony was my love for and thoughts of you and the hope that I’d see you again…When I finally got back.

I knew this would be your reaction to me if I just called you up. So I faked a screen name just so I could see how you were doing and talk to you. It was no longer enough and I had to see you again…Maybe it would’ve been better if I truly had been buried”

He could feel moisture stinging his eyes and forced it away. She was in love with another man. His bestfriend. She despised him now and spoke to him with venom. This wasn’t the woman he remembered; had fallen in love with…and it killed him that she no longer returned his love.

Amber swallowed and then said, “Maybe it would have…though…for Laura-Kathrine’s sake I’m glad you didn’t”

So saying she turned and walked back to her car in long, heavy-laden steps. Unlocking her car she slid inside and started the car.

Placing her hands on the steering wheel she rested her forehead against them and let the tears she had been fighting seep out in torrents. It had been so hard to talk to him the way she had; so cold. But if she hadn’t she would have lost it and she couldn’t let herself lose it in front of him.

The 2 minutes that he had held her in his arms had been too much as is. The familiarity of his embrace had set her heart racing, had been comfortable and familiar; as though he had never left and had sent her blood to boiling.

She refused to let herself feel that way about him, to feel those things again. She was in love with another man, a more stable man who loved her in return and who hadn’t left her alone for 2 years but who had been there to pick up the pieces.

Starting the car she dried her tears and made a vow to herself to avoid Justin Timberlake with every fiber of her being and to stay well away from his touch. She was Lance’s girl now and nothing not the return of an old flame who she had just gotten over would ever change that.

………………………………...........

Back to index



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters and settings are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

This story archived at http://www.nsyncfiction.net/archive/viewstory.php?sid=4645