Like I Love You by Mel514
Summary: Brynn Clarkson prides herself in her work. On the brink of a promotion with Jive, she finds herself stuck filling the shoes of a personal assistant instead, to none other than Justin Timberlake as he releases his first solo album. Swallowing her pride, she agrees to do it. Little does she know, she's in for a lot more than one ever bargains for.
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 12119 Read: 5947 Published: Apr 26, 2011 Updated: May 16, 2011

1. Chapter 1 by Mel514

2. Chapter 2 by Mel514

3. Chapter 3 by Mel514

4. Chapter 4 by Mel514

Chapter 1 by Mel514
Author's Notes:

I may be crazy for starting something else but this idea has been nagging me for a while so I figured I'd give it a shot. Special thanks to my muse for helping me get the ball rolling. 

I hope you all enjoy. Be sure to let me know what you think :) 


Chapter one.
Early August, 2002

Brynn Clarkson walked into the head offices of Jive, the same building that had housed her job for the last five years. Dressed in black dress pants and a dark pink blouse, the black heels she wore made her five foot seven inch frame look even taller. Her blond hair was pulled back away from her face into a sophisticated pony tail. Butterflies set loose in her stomach as she passed the front desk, moving through the halls until she made her way to the elevator that would take her up to her boss’s office. Today was suppose to be a big day for her. Hopefully a long awaited promotion was in store.

Knocking lightly on the door at the end of the hall, she heard a light voice call out to her before peeking her head inside.

“Good Morning, Brynn. Come on in.” Johnny Wright said from his desk.

“Morning, Johnny.” Brynn smiled, taking a seat in front of his desk. She tried not to fidget though her nerves were getting the best of her. She had been waiting for a promotion for a long time.

“So I know we discussed a promotion was in store for you. I know you’ve been with Jive for a while now and you’re ready to get your foot in the door and deal more hands on with the music.”

“Yes,” Brynn voiced, crossing her legs. “I know I have a lot of ideas to put to use. I’d like a real shot.”

“I have no doubt that you’d be able to carry your own but unfortunately we were put in a slight bind right now. Now it’s not exactly a shot at managing your own tour but we’re in need of a Personal Assistant for one of our artists for promotional appearances. Out of everyone else, I think you’d be the best for the job.”

Brynn felt her heart sink but swallowed her pride and strapped on a fake, professional smile.

“You want me to be a PA?”

“Yes. You’d be in charge of making sure he gets to appearances on time, booking travel arrangements. He has to shoot a music video soon, interviews, award shows. It’d be a lot on your plate but your organizational skills are always top notch.”

“He?” Brynn chanced to ask, while maintaining her composure.

“Justin Timberlake. I’m sure you know his first solo album is due out in a few months. Things are going to start getting chaotic up until the release. I trust that you’d make sure everything goes accordingly.” Johnny said, handing her a piece of paper.

“Two months?” She questioned, scanning over the itinerary. “I’d be traveling with him for two months?”

Johnny sat back in his chair, scanning through the small stack of papers on his desk.

“Two or three. I understand you are more than over qualified for this Brynn. It’s just that we really need,-”

“I’ll do it.” She interrupted, gathering herself together while holding her head high and trying to remain every bit of the professional she was.

Johnny smiled. “I knew I could count on you. Here is everything you’ll need. We’ll have a meeting next week to go over everything else you’ll need to know.”

“Thank you.” Brynn said, leaning forward to shake Johnny’s hand before she stood and walked towards the door.

“Brynn,” He said, causing her to turn around just before she reached the door. “I really appreciate this from you. I can’t say when but I promise you’ll get there.”

Being at lost for words, she simply smiled and quietly left his office, closing the door behind her. So many thoughts crossed her mind, mostly filled with anger and disappointment. Having worked so hard, putting over five years in at Jive with a Music Business degree, Brynn felt like she was just been served the ultimate blow. It wasn’t until she stepped into the elevator, after jabbing the down button repeatedly that she let her her emotions go.

“Such a freaking joke,” Brynn cursed under her breath. “Five years and I get stuck being a professional babysitter. Are you kidding me?”

Scrubbing her hand over her face, she tried to calm her emotions down as she watched the numbers above the door descend. She still had a job, although it was a slight step back. “I’ll get there. I know it.” She reminded herself repeatedly as the doors opened. Walking aimlessly out of the elevator, she turned the corner and began to walk down the hall until she felt her body smack into something hard.

“Shit, I’m so sorry.” She heard from a male voice as she gained her composure, looking back into sky blue eyes.

“No I’m sorry,” Brynn pleaded. “I wasn’t paying attention.” Her eyes moved over the man standing in front of her. His thin frame stood slightly taller than her, dressed in a pair of dark jeans and a green t-shirt and something familiar struck her.  “Justin.” She said, looking unamused.

He laughed slightly, scratching the back of his head nervously.  “And you are?”

Regaining her professional stance, Brynn held her hand out to him. “Brynn Clarkson.”

Justin’s brows knitted together in thought as he accepted her hand, clasping it with hers lightly. “I’ve heard that name before. I know Johnny’s mentioned you a few times.”

She looked at him slightly surprised but quickly shook it off. She was a professional and now she was stuck being his assistant, making sure he did what he was suppose to and suddenly her anger returned. She refused to show him any praise.

“I take my career very seriously.” Brynn voiced, her tone void of any warmth. “But if you’ll excuse me, I have to be going.”

And with that, Justin could only watch confused as she stepped past him and began down the hallway before he could get another word out. Brynn tried to clear her head, sucking up what little of her pride she had left. Maybe it was a bad first impression to make but all she could think about was the disappointment that had come out of her day. She was so much better than someones assistant. She was creative and artistic and music was where her head was. Visually and many ways otherwise. If it hadn’t been for some kid in a boy band needing a babysitter, maybe she would have actually been given a crack at a real job. Maybe.

When she finally reached her car, Brynn got inside and put her keys in the ignition, reaching for the volume control and turning the radio up. She needed to drown out her thoughts and forget about the reality of things. This wasn’t the end of her career. Maybe it was only the beginning.

Feeling the tension slowly escape her body as the music flooded her ears, she put the car in drive and tried to suck up her pride. “It’s going to be a long two months,” She said out loud. “A long two months.”
End Notes:
*holds breath* Thoughts?
Chapter 2 by Mel514
Author's Notes:

Here we go with Chapter two. I'm getting really excited as I continue to write this story and am thankful to those of you who are reading and reviewing. I'm trying to write a chapter ahead before posting so I don't have big gaps between updates. Chapter 3 should be up sometime this weekend hopefully. Enjoy chapter two in the meantime :) Short and sweet.

Like I Love You 

Chapter 2. 


“You ready for the roller coaster?” Johnny asked, sitting at the large oval table that took up most of the board room as he flipped through a large binder of papers.

Justin nodded, as he sat nonchalantly, his legs crossed as he moved the computer chair from side to side. “It’s now or never.” He said, letting go of the breath he’d been holding.

“I think you’ll do fine, Justin. You’ve got the talent and you’ve been telling me for a while now that this is where you wanted to go with your career.”

“I know. It’s just hard to believe it’s really happening, ya know?” Justin voiced, scratching the back of his head. “It’s just me. If I screw up, it all falls on me.”

Johnny laughed slightly. “That’s how things go when you decide to go solo.”

Justin brought his hand up to his mouth and bit his nail. “Yeah, I guess.”

“So you will be shooting for your album cover next week and you’ve got a few magazine spreads to do also.”

Justin scoffed a bit. “Lovely.”

Johnny looked up and shook his head. “You want this album to be a success Justin. We’re going to get you in every magazine possible. Every interview, every promo spot, appearance, performance, you name it. If you want to be on top, you’ve got to do the work.”

“I know. It’s just that it’s a lot to take in.”

“I know. You’re one of the hardest working people in this industry. You’ll have an assistant to see you through all of this so you won’t be so overwhelmed.”

“An assistant?” Justin asked loudly. “Because I don’t already have enough damn people following me around all the time?”

Johnny laughed at his outrage, not the lease bit phased. “Trust me. You’ll need her. In fact she should be here shortly to finalize the itineraries.”

“She?”

“Yes, she. I put my trust in this woman that everything will go along smoothly. You’re lucky she even agreed to do it on such short noticed. Besides, she’s beyond over qualified to be someones PA.”

“Then why is she doing it if she’s over qualified?”

Johnny stood as he heard a knock on the door. “Because Justin. This is a big job and I didn’t trust the last person they hired. I can’t afford things to go any less than perfect.”

Justin groaned to himself, scrubbing a hand over his face. He was mentally picturing his new assistant. Johnny wanted someone perfect. The only thing that came to mind was an old, burnt out woman with a bun and glasses. Someone who reminded him of that one teacher in elementary school that everyone hated. He was already dreading this whole process.

Hearing the door open, he shook out of his small reverie.

“Brynn, glad you could make it!” Johnny said, welcoming her into the room. “I wanted to formally introduce you,” He said, turning towards Justin. “Brynn, this is Justin. Justin, this is Brynn Clarkson, your new assistant.”

Justin’s eyes widened as he sat up and quickly stuck his hand out, meeting it with hers. It was the girl he bumped into the other day and she definitely didn’t remind him of any teacher he’d ever had in his life. He eyed her up and down, taking in the form fitting jeans she wore, along with the black v neck t-shirt that gave a slight view of her chest. Her blonde hair sat in wavy ringlets against her shoulders bringing out the color of her mascaraed brown eyes. He tried to ignore the light feminine scent that quickly surrounded him and the softness of her hand as he shook it with his own. This was a big change from how he’d seen her dressed the other day.

“Ni- nice to meet you.” Justin said, stuttering a bit and mentally cursing himself.

“Like wise.” Brynn voiced as she smiled politely before taking a seat next to Johnny.

“We were just going over dates for everything, Brynn. As you know, Justin has several photo shoots coming up next week. He hates to be fawned over so make sure he’s on time. Photographers hate to wait.” Johnny said as Justin scoffed.

“Whatever. I know how to be on time.” He said cockily.

Just what I need. A spoiled pop star, Brynn thought to herself.

“I’m sure we’ll have no problems, Johnny.” She said masking her thoughts and smiling quickly at Justin.

She eyed him up and down, taking in the way he sat up straight, trying to look interested even though she could tell he didn’t want to be there at the moment. She watched as he scratched the back of his head as his leg seemed to bounce repeatedly. He was dressed as she had remembered him before, jeans and a t-shirt, and the light scruff on his face prevented him ever so slightly from looking his actual age, which she had yet to confirm. He couldn’t be that old. He was in fact the lead singer in Jive’s most popular boy band. Still, in her eyes, he was young.

“I didn’t think you would,” Johnny replied, bringing Brynn out of her daydream. “We’ve got the VMA’s coming up which is a pretty big deal. Justin will need to rehearse for that until it’s perfect. You still need to figure out wardrobe and all that,” He said nodding at Justin.  “His single will also be released on the radio next week so we’re hoping for it to really take off. I’m hoping you’ll be able to e-mail me airplay reports for the first day, Brynn.”

Justin nodded at Johnny, then smiled to himself as he watched Brynn jot down stuff on the notebook she had brought with her. He had caught her eyeing him as the wheels in his head began to turn but she once again was back into professional mode.

“I’ll make sure it’s all taken care of. I’ve already got travel arrangements made.” Brynn said, handing Johnny a folder.

He scanned over it quickly. “I knew you’d be on top of it. I’m glad I could count on you, Brynn.”

“It’s my job.” She shrugged as the smile fell from her face.

“It’s not your job but you’re doing me a huge favor by filling these shoes. I know you’ll be at your full potential one of these days.”

Brynn nodded, tucking her hair behind her air. It still bothered her that she was stuck doing this. Clearly she had put in her time and dues with Jive and especially for Johnny. She wanted a crack at a real job. She wanted to be a part of the music and the creative aspects that went into creating a tour.

Justin watched the cheer from her face fade and began to wonder once again but couldn’t bring himself to question her. Not in front of Johnny at least. Between the two of them, he felt like the immature child as the adults discussed the correct babysitting plan for him.

“So what’s first?” Justin finally asked, his voice mixing in with the sounds of papers being over turned and the scrawl of pens running across notebooks.

“Next week you’re shooting for your album and doing a few magazines, practicing choreography, shooting your music video,...”

Justin nodded, taking it all in, trying not to roll his eyes. It was all so exciting, still he had been there and done it all. This part was what he hated the most.

“So it looks like we’re all on the same page now. Did you have a chance to meet security?” Johnny questioned.

Brynn laughed, as she nodded her head. “Yeah, yesterday. Will he be around us all the time?”

“Unfortunately.” Justin muttered, fidgeting in his chair again. “It’s like having a damn three hundred and fifty pound chaperon.”  

“It’s for your own safety Justin. You know how insane your fans can be.”

Brynn looked between the two, her eyes wide in question. “Have there been issues before?”

Johnny nodded slightly but returned with a warm smile. “Like I said, his fans are a little crazy. I’m sure Lonnie will make sure everything stays fine.”

Brynn tried to hide the look of worry, masked by her professionalism but Justin could see it clearly. Sometime deep inside of him felt the need to assure her.

“It’ll be fine, Brynn. Seriously, Lonnie’s never let me down.” Justin said, smiling towards her.

She nodded, letting out a deep breath as her shoulders finally relaxed. Justin could see the wheels in her head turning. She might be a professional but deep down, she had no idea what she was getting into.

“I have no doubt it will be.” She said, turning towards Johnny.

“Well, I think that covers everything. I appreciate you coming in on such short notice, Brynn.” Johnny said, as he gathered his material and stood.

“Not a problem.” She smiled, standing with him as well.

“I hate to cut this short but I’ve got another meeting to get to so I’ll let myself out. Feel free to call me with any questions.”

“Will do, Johnny. Bye.” Brynn said, as she watched him leave the room.

She turned to Justin as silence filled the room. Clearing her throat, she grabbed her stuff as she turned to walk towards the door.

“Brynn, wait!” Justin called, as he walked towards her, shoving his hands in his pockets.
“Would you have time to maybe grab a cup of coffee or something? I feel we didn’t really get a chance to formally meet.”

“No Justin, I don’t.” She replied, her voice cold. “This is a business thing and that’s it. We’re not suppose to be friends. I’m your assistant, nothing more.”

Justin looked at her wide eyed, shocked by the tone of her voice. He could only stand there dumbfounded.

“I’ll see you next week. You’ve got a seven a.m. wake up call on Monday so don’t be late.” She voiced sternly before exiting the room.

Standing there stunned, Justin could only watch as she fled, all words falling mute on his tongue. He didn’t understand how Brynn could be so friendly towards Johnny and so cold towards him when he’d hardly spoken two words to her. He knew a part of the shock came from being rejected by a female, professional or not.  He’d spent a great portion of his life with women praising the ground he walked on and the fact that Brynn had showed no interest only added to the shock and hurt.   

Beyond that, she still seemed like someone he wanted to get to know. She may have portrayed herself as a professional but Justin saw beyond that. He only hoped that two or three months was a long enough time to get to know the real her. Otherwise, he didn’t think he’d be able to handle working with someone who hated him, not when he saw something warm and hopeful lingering deep down in her eyes.

End Notes:
Thoughts? Go review :)
Chapter 3 by Mel514
Author's Notes:

So here is another chapter for you all. Sorry it was a little later than I predicted. Read and enjoy :)

Like I love You
Chapter 3.

Brynn walked down the dimply lit hallway before she finally came to the end, finding the door marked 1402. Raising her hand, she knocked lightly before checking her watch. It was 7:25 already. Rapping her knuckles against it once again, she scoffed to herself becoming agitated. By the third try, her knock became harder, the loud sound echoing throughout the hallway.
She was about to bring her knuckles up once again before the door swung open and a bleary eyed Justin stared back at her.

“Morning,” Brynn said, proficient as always. “We’ve got to get going we’re already-”

“I’ll be right back.” He interrupted, his voice low and gravely. Brynn stepped back as he left the door open, only to return a few seconds later, backpack slung over his shoulder.

“We can’t be late.” She voiced as he shut the door to his hotel room and they began their way down towards the elevators.

“We’re not going to be.” Justin said unamused. Brynn rolled her eyes as she pushed the down button repeatedly, trying to fill the silence.  Once the doors slid open, Justin moved the few steps away as he leaned against the corner as the cart began to move.

Brynn stood still in the middle as she cleared her throat taking in Justin’s morning attire. Jeans and a heavy black sweatshirt, the hood up and covering his light brown hair, his eyes slid shut against his face. Maybe he wasn’t a morning person.

“We’re shooting the spread for Seventeen Magazine at around eight and then from there we have to go right to do the shoot for your album. After that you’ll have time for a late lunch before you do a short phone interview and then-,”

“Brynn!” Justin interrupted, making her jump a little by the volume of his voice but he quickly lowered it. “It’s early and I’m tired as hell. Can you just...chill out for a few? I know I’ve got a full plate today. I just don’t feel like hearing it right now, alright?”

“Well maybe if you’d have got to bed at a decent hour last night, today wouldn’t be so rough on you.”

Justin stood and stared wide eyed back at her, readjusting his backpack just as the elevator doors opened. He was taken aback once again by her cold tone towards him and was beginning to wonder why she hated him so much.

“How do you know what I was doing last night?”

She scoffed slightly, shaking her head at him. “Lonnie filled me in a little. He told me it’d probably take a while to get you to answer your door.”

“Yeah well, whatever. I’m twenty one. I can do whatever I want to. I don’t need a babysitter.”

Brynn rolled her eyes as they exited the elevator, seeing Lonnie as the end of the hall. He trailed behind them as they left the hotel to the awaiting SUV that waited outside for them.

“Whatever Justin. It’s your career.” She voiced, crawling in beside him and slamming the door shut.

She was half relieved that he leaned against the window and closed his eyes, not saying another word for the rest of the drive. So far, this job was not starting off on the best foot.

**
Justin rolled his eyes for the fifteenth time that day as he was handed another outfit to change into. He was already tired and exhausted of being fawned and fussed over but he bit his tongue and quickly changed before returning to hair and make-up.

He watched his assistant not far off in the corner of the make shift tent they had set up outside for him as she stayed out of the way and messed around on her blackberry. He noted that she had changed her attire once again, going back to her roots to the first day Justin had met her. She changed up her casual look of jeans she’d wore last week and once again was decked out in her black pants and heels, with crisp white blouse taking over her tall frame. Gone were the blonde waves that had sat loosely on her shoulders but instead it had been replaced by a sleek ponytail. Something deep inside felt like she used the clothes as a mask. Last week at the meeting with Johnny, Justin saw the mere glimpse of a different side of Brynn. She had managed to laugh and even joke around slightly, giving him just a small taste of the bubbly personality he knew she had. He couldn’t help but wonder why she couldn’t do the same with him.

Looking up from her task at hand, Justin’s eyes met hers as he turned away slightly, embarrassed that he was caught but slowly drifted back in her direction. She looked around confused before walking towards him, her brows furrowed in question.

“Do you need something?” She asked, her voice cold, coming to stand by Justin as a short woman mused with is hair and dabbed make up on his face.

Justin coughed nervously, trying to filled the silence between them. “Nope. I uh, I’m good.” Was the only thing he could come up with. Looking at him confused, she turned to walk away. Feeling his cheeks warm, he called her back. “Brynn, wait!”

She turned around quickly, her ponytail swinging as she moved. “Yeah?”

Justin smirked, noting that she looked slightly annoyed. “We’re going straight to the magazine shoot after this right?”

Looking at him as if he had two heads, she simply nodded. “Yes, Justin.”

“Okay, thanks.” He replied, smiling slightly and winking back at her.

Brynn could only shake her head as she walked away, confused as to what was going on in his head. She still couldn’t believe that this was her job.

*
Hours later, trying to hold back her yawn, Brynn watched as Justin posed for various shots in the bright L.A. sun. She felt beyond worthless standing there, doing nothing and wondered for the millionth time why exactly she had agreed to this job. She almost wished she were back at her desk at the head offices of Jive running herself ragged as she tried to do a million things. At least she would be doing something instead of sitting out here in the blazing sun, wearing the most uncomfortable heels, watching a spoiled pop star grow an even bigger ego.

She had to give him credit though, the creative side of her coming breaking through her bad mood. It was easy to see that he was agitated and tired and pretty much over the entire day by now just as she was. Johnny had warned her that he didn’t like this part of celebrity but for as much as he seemed to hate it, he had a great stamina to grin and bear it and didn’t mind the women that were constantly at his beck and call.

Brynn had to admire the photographers and their creativity. They seemed to know exactly where to put Justin and what outfits complimented his figure. For being young, he was well built and muscular though she was sure it had a lot to do with the constant dancing he’d been doing all of his life. Shaking her head, she tried to clear her thoughts, chastising herself for thinking of Justin like that. She worked with him pete sake, not to mention he was six years younger then her.

Shaking the thoughts from her mind, Brynn looked up when she heard laughter only to see Justin break out in a small dance as one of the crew turned up the radio, filling the area with an upbeat song. Trying to be unamused, she watched as he moved smoothly, snapping his fingers and dancing for no one but himself, as he sang along, trying to be serious. She couldn’t help herself as she cracked a small smile when he pointed to her, his voice singing along effortlessly along with the radio.

The grin Justin sent back at her caused her to shake her head, unable to suppress her grin. He really was a dork but he had a uniqueness that Brynn didn’t see in a lot of people. He seemed genuine and working in the industry, that was rare.She couldn’t deny how his personality seemed contagious to everyone around him. He had a certain charm. She looked up as he approached her holding several Polaroid photos in his hands and handing them to her.

“What do you think?” He asked, his voice full of question as he licked his lips.

“Me?” Brynn asked surprised.

“Yeah, I wanna know what you think.”

“Oh um,” Taking the photos from Justin’s hands, she was careful not to get her fingerprints on them as she scanned them carefully. She took in the portraits, the lighting, the wardrobe and most importantly the serious, seductive looks Justin had etched all over his face in each one.

“They look good, Justin.”

“Yeah?” He questioned coming to stand beside her.

“Yes. Very natural, edgy. I like them.” Brynn forced a smile and tried to move away as she felt Justin’s shoulder brush hers and could feel the heat of him singe through her blouse.

They both looked up as the photographer’s deep voice broke their thoughts. “That’s a rap everyone!”

Justin hung his head as his shoulders relaxed. “Thank God.”

Brynn laughed at his relief, feeling it herself. “You’ve got a few minutes to change and grab something small to eat before we’ve got to head to the next photo shoot.”

Rolling his eyes once again, Justin nodded before walking back to change. Brynn glanced at her watch to make sure they were still running on time and went to gather her things to wait for Justin to be finished. She could only hope that this next adventure went a lot faster.

**

The day had to be coming to a stand still, Brynn convinced herself as she leaned heavily against the wall of the studio they had been at for the last three and a half hours. Who in the hell would have thought that these things took so damn long? Certainly not her.

She watched from behind the scenes as Justin walked off the set, leaving the view of the camera as he walked over to the photographer for the third time in the last fifteen minutes. She checked her watch once again before finally taking charge of the situation.

“What seems to be the problem now Justin?” Brynn found herself asking, on the verge of exploding as she brought her fingers to her temples.

Justin, dressed in all black turned away to look at her, his face hard.

“I told you, we had already discussed how I wanted the backgrounds for this album and it’s clearly not what they’re using.”

Breathe Brynn silently told herself. “So what’s happening now?”

Justin shrugged, as his face stood firm. “They suppose to be changing it... again.”

“And you do realize we have a schedule to keep?”

“Well if this would have been set up correctly the first time, we wouldn’t be having this problem, now would we?” Justin said, glaring at the photographer.

“Justin.” Brynn hissed. “Have some manors.”

“Whatever. Call me when someone around here knows what the hell they’re doing.”

Brynn looked at the photographer, smiling apologetically. She contemplated calling Johnny for a moment but Justin seemed to know what he was doing. She’d give him a few minutes to cool down, then she’d go talk to him.

“I’m sorry about the delay Miss Clarkson but we’ll have the correct backgrounds set up shortly.”

Brynn nodded, trying to sympathize. “I really hope so. Mr. Timberlake is on a very tight schedule and we’re already pressed for time.”

The photographer nodded and Brynn took that opportunity to search for Justin. She found him his dressing room, drinking a bottle of water as he sat, his leg bouncing in that nervous way she had discovered just a week ago.

He looked over at her, hearing her heels click against the cement floor, nodding his head in greeting.

“Is all of this really necessary?” She questioned.

“All of what?” Justin shrugged, running a hand over his head.

Brynn sighed, already seeing where this conversation was going to go.

“All of the corrections, the waiting, making people bend over back words.”

Justin stood, coming to stand directly in front of her, his face serious and persistent.

“Yes, Brynn, it is. This is my first solo album. It’s a make or break kind of thing and I want it to be perfect. An album cover is remembered forever. I’m not going to settle, alright?”

Brynn swallowed slowly. She could see the determination and the passion in his eyes. He wasn’t going to back down easily which put her in a bind. They still had a schedule to follow.

“Alright. I’ll go see if they’ve got things fixed yet. This better be worth it Justin.”

She turned on her heels about to walk away when Justin’s voiced stopped her.

“Brynn!” Turning around she found him inches in front of her. “I wouldn’t be doing this if it didn’t mean a lot to me. I’m really sorry it’s taking so long.”

Her breath hitched in her throat with the lack of space between them. She looked up, seeing his blue eyes look back at her, honest and sincere as he licked his lips. Trying to reroute her eyes, she shook her head and gave him a professional nod.

“I’ll go see what’s going on.”
**

Another two hours later, Brynn was all too happy to see Justin walk off set, his features tired and annoyed, feeling closely the same herself. Things had finally come together and shoot had reconvened and finished without any further problems.

She walked over to him, dressed in all black, as he handed the black fedora to the stylist and peeled off his leather jacket, leaving him in a cut off muscle shirt that seemed to carry out it’s name, exposing his arms and the large cross tattoo that sat across one bicep, surprising her. Why did that surprise her? Gathering herself together, they scanned through the photos from the day, watching Justin’s facial expressions, praying that these were what he had expected.

He turned to Brynn, his eyes hopeful. “What do you think?”

“Do you like them, Justin? That’s really the question here.”

He nodded, bringing his hand to rest under his chin in thought.

“Well yeah, but I want to know what you think. I mean these are for my album cover. Do you think they’re right for it?”

Scanning the photos once again, Brynn was finally starting to see the hesitation in Justin’s voice with this whole project. This was his first solo album and he was letting his fear and hesitation slip with each day of promotion they completed. Still, the professional and creative side of her once again noted that all the drama they had gone through this afternoon had been worth it. Justin seemed to know exactly what he was doing.

“Honestly Justin,” She said turning towards him, her eyes trying to look anywhere but his broad chest and his muscular arms glistening with sweat. “I think they’re amazing.”

His eyes turned up in surprise. “Really?”

“Yeah,” Brynn nodded, waving her hand in front of the portraits. “It’s unique, edgy, serious and a little dark.”

He laughed. “Dark?”

“Well you know. You’re all stripped down on your own. The other guys aren't there with you. I think it gives some mystery to the whole ‘who is solo Justin Timberlake’ scenario.”

“Hmm. I guess that could be good,” He said, as he pondered for a minute, turning towards Brynn and looking at her seriously as he licked his lips. “Do you think...”

She looked at him questionably as he stopped mid sentence. “Do I think what?”

“Do you think I look sexy?” He finally finished, his face masked in nothing but seriousness.

With wide eyes, she looked back at him shocked as her heart sped up in her chest.

“Justin!” She gasped as she turned away from him quickly.

He let out a laugh, loving that he got to her so easily as he watched her cheeks turn a deep shade of pink. “What? I just wanna know if you think they are because, well let’s face it. It’s sexy that sells.”

Scoffing, she turned on her heels as she went to gather her things, as he followed.

“You need to go get changed so we’re not late for your phone interview.”

“Alright. But why can’t you just answer me?” He asked, not backing down, his lips turned up in a smile.

“I’m your assistant, Justin. You can’t just ask me stuff like that.” She replied, gathering her things, as she felt her ears warm, spreading slowly through out her body.

“Okay, from a professional standpoint,” He asked as she shook her head, rolling her eyes at him. “Come on Brynn, I won’t tell.”

When she finally faced Justin, his eyes were gleaming back at her as he once again licked his lips in a way that was starting to make her slightly nervous though she’d never admit it to anyone but herself.

“I think your ego is big enough to cover half of the state of California and my opinion means nothing,” Brynn voiced, scanning through her blackberry. “Now get changed so we can get back to the hotel and you can get something to eat before we’re late.”

Letting out an exhausted sigh, Justin finally gave in. “Fine Boss Lady.” He said, his voice laced with humor as he turned to walk into his dressing room but stopped, peeking his head out quickly. “I wouldn’t want to admit it if I thought someone I was working for was sexy either.”

Brynn could only watch in shock once again, her mouth open as he sent her a quick wink before dodging back into his dressing room. Damn him was the only thing that crossed her mind as her heart began to race once again and a deep nagging begin to set in the pit of her stomach.
**


Later that afternoon, Brynn tried to get used to the large man trailing behind them as she and Justin entered the hotel. She was thankful the ride back had been pretty much the same as it was early this morning- silent and drama free, even though she couldn’t get his question out of her mind no matter how hard she tried. Taking the same elevator up to Justin’s floor, she was thankful to see that most of the hotel was vacant. She was scanning her e-mails as Justin’s voice broke her train of thought, realizing they had stopped out in front of his hotel room.

“Are you coming?” He asked, sliding his key in until the green light lit up, allowing him entry.

“Are you sure you don’t want to go down to the restaurant or something, Justin?” She asked nervously, as he held the door open for her.

Something didn’t feel right in the pit of her stomach, being alone in his hotel room. Brynn couldn’t put a finger on exactly why but it sat deep down, nagging her.

Justin nodded. “I just want to chill out and rest for a while. I’m already beat from today.”

“Fine,” She told him, following into his hotel suite. “You’ve got about thirty-five minutes until that phone interview.”

“Yeah yeah.” Was his half hearted reply as he disappeared into the bedroom.

Looking around Brynn was surprised to see that his room was actually somewhat neat. For his age, she expected to see clothes scattered around aimlessly but instead noted everything for the most part was neatly piled on top of his suitcase.

He reappeared a short time later dressed down in light blue track pants and a white t-shirt, his feet now bare as he flicked on the TV.

“I think I want to just order a pizza or something. What kind do you like?” He questioned, watching her stand there as he searched for a phone book.

She shook her head. “Don’t worry about me. Order whatever you like.”

Justin stopped flipping through the pages as he raised a brow. “You don’t like pizza?”

“I like it just fine. I just said don’t worry about me. I’ll eat later.”

“Okay, so lets say I just wanted to know what your favorite kind of pizza was, hypothetically, what would the answer be?”

Brynn shook her head, trying not to give in to his boyish charm.  “I like odd combinations. Pepperoni and pineapple.”

“Was that so hard?” He questioned, taking in how she stood their awkwardly in the small living room. “You know you can take a seat somewhere. Take your shoes off. Rest a while.”

“Right.” She said, trying to fill the tension she felt. Walking across the room, she took a seat at the small table by the window, overlooking the busy streets of L.A. She knew it was unprofessional but it had been one hell of a long day and Brynn’s feet were killing her. Kicking off her pumps, she couldn’t prevent the small ‘Ahhh’ that escaped her lips.

Justin couldn’t avert his eyes from staring at her for a moment as her head tipped back slightly, eyes closed in relief before he reached for the hotel phone on the table where she sat.

“You know, you don’t have to dress so professional around me.” He confessed, causing her to look up at him in surprise. “I mean those heels have got to hurt your feet. Especially when you’re either standing around or traipsing after me. You need to be comfortable.”

Brynn looked back at him dumbfounded. Was he looking out for her or telling her how to dress? Either way, it felt slightly awkward coming from him. Before she could reply, he was on the phone ordering the pizza. She suddenly felt out of her element. She was after all suppose to be the professional one. How on earth did she end up in Justin’s hotel room with her shoes off while he ordered pizza, her favorite kind none the less?

This was hardly how she pictured this job.

“Pizza will be here in about fifteen minutes.” He said as he plopped down on the couch. “Anything you want to watch?”

“No I’m fine.” She voiced from the table as she ran a hand across her forehead.

“The Price is Right is then.” Justin said as he tossed the remote on the coffee table. She watched as he kicked his feet up, his left arm going above his head and resting against the back of the couch causing the slightest bit of his shirt to ride up, exposing part of his tanned stomach.

Averting her eyes, Brynn stood and excused herself. “I’m going to use the ladies room.”

Justin could only watch her flee quickly, shaking his head as he continued to watch TV.

**

Fifteen minutes later, Brynn found herself answering the door and paying the pizza delivery guy. Just as she shut the door and turned around, a large box in her hands, she breathed in quickly as she bumped into Justin, forcing her to look up into sky blue eyes.

“I was going to pay for that.” He said easily, as he took the box from her hands.

“It’s um, it’s fine. It’s probably better I answered the door anyways.”

“Yeah.” He said, his breath fanning across her face from being so close as he gave her a lopsided smile. “Probably.”

Before she had time to plan her escape, Justin turned and walked back into the suit, dropping the pizza box on the coffee table. He retrieved some napkins and plates before squatting in front of the small refrigerator and grabbing a can of pop.

“What would you like to drink?”

Brynn took a seat at the chair across the room feeling somewhat out of place once again. “I’m fine.”

“Ok, Sprite is then,” He laughed, setting the can down on the end table beside her. “Help yourself.”

She watched as he wasted no time before digging into the pizza, the TV providing the only other sound besides him eating. Eyeing the box, Brynn tried not to take in the delicious aroma as it wafted through the hotel room. He had offered for her to eat with him but something about it didn’t feel right. After all, she was suppose to be professional and making sure he got to where he needed to be and things got done. Technically he had gotten to where needed to today and it was only a short time before she’d make sure he was doing the phone interview that Johnny had scheduled.

Still, there was something odd and unsettling about eating pizza in his hotel room that screamed wrong. Continuing to ponder, Brynn opened her can of pop and took a drink, not realizing how thirsty she had been. Deciding to give in to the growl in her stomach, she reached forward and reached for a slice of pizza, accepting the napkin Justin handed her in the process.

“Thank you.” She told him quietly. “It’s not everyday you find someone who likes this combination on their pizza.”

“It’s not bad actually.” He said, his mouth full as he turned back to the TV. “1200.”

Brynn laughed softly, trying to see what he was fussing over.

“For a trip to the Caribbean? Please. 1450. They’re including air fare.”

Actual retail price, 1500. Brynn smiled as Justin laughed, eyeing her between bites of pizza.

“So you’re a travel expert, huh?”

She simply shrugged. “I did spend an entire day of my life booking all your travel arraignments a few weeks ago.”

Justin couldn’t help but study his new assistant. He could see her slowly warming up to him. He realized with the flip of a switch that she could easily slip right back into her professional Boss Lady persona but for the moment, he was happy to see what little of the real Brynn Clarkson he could- even if that meant plying her with pizza and The Price is Right.

They continued to banter back and forth, calling out prices and arguing about who was right and who was wrong and all the tension between them seemed to temporally be at ease. He noted how much more relaxed Brynn looked with her shoes off as she sat back in the chair, her legs crossed, giving him the perfect view of her pink, manicured toe nails. Small blonde tresses had escaped her pony tail through out the day and he was glad to see she made no immediate attempt to tuck them back, giving her a softer look as they framed her face.

He couldn’t prevent the slight dip in his stomach every time she’d argue with him, the slight sass in her voice causing him to laugh. Every once in a while, she’d roll her eyes at something ridiculous he said and she’d chuckle softly, causing that funny feeling to return and his lips to grin back at her.

Before he could even analyze his new found feelings, she was on her feet as her blackberry rang, bringing it to her ear as she talked back to whomever it was, prim and proper as ever.

He cringed as he was handed the phone, rolling his eyes as the woman on the other end began to ramble off the same twenty questions he’d answered many times before.

Brynn looked back at him in warning, letting him know that he better respond as he was suppose to or else he would have to answer to her. When the interview was finally over, he handed over her blackberry and watching regretfully as she slid back into her heels.

Here it comes, Justin thought, watching her gather her things.

“Well that looks like we’re done for the day,” Brynn announced, looking out the window and saw the sun beginning to fall. “Tomorrow you’ve got to start rehearsing for your video shoot and you still need to go over the final concept with the director.”

Rolling his eyes, Justin followed her the door suddenly feeling a loss.

“Justin! Are you even listening to me?”

He crossed his arms over his chest as he put his back towards the door. “Yes of course.” He blinked back, trying to sound interested.

“Good. Maybe tomorrow I won’t have to knock on your door fifty times.” She spat back, annoyance in her voice.

“Seriously? I was like ten minutes late.”

“How about tomorrow you be on time?” She questioned, the tone of her voice going right to his chest.

“Dammit Brynn, I know you hate me.” He said loudly as his hand played with the door knob. “But,” He let out a breath, his voice softening as he looked back at her with earnest blue eyes. “Could you please try to drop this professional act and meet me somewhere in the middle? I’m twenty-one fucking years old. I don’t need to be treated like a child. I know how this industry works. You don’t have to remind me, okay? I’ve promoted albums before.”

Brynn swallowed thickly, her mouth suddenly void of any moisture. She tried to think of something to say, but all cocky comebacks seemed to die on the tip of her tongue as she took in the hurt on his face. She tried to ignore the masculine scent of him as he stood so close to her and the light blue color of his eyes as he looked back at her. Still, she was professional doing an armatures job and she did blame him a little for being stuck doing this job. If he was so knowledgeable with everything, then why was she even there?

“I’ll try.” Was the only honest answer she could give him before sliding past him and opening the door.

Once the door clicked shut and emptiness filled the room, Justin leaned his head against it and let out a breath. “Try harder, Brynn.” He whispered to nobody but himself. All he could do was hope his words would sink in and tomorrow would be different.

Chapter 4 by Mel514
Author's Notes:
Finally! A new chapter. Sorry I didn't get this to ya all sooner. My weekend was filled with birthday festivities as I turned the big 2-[insert number here]. Hahah. I hope ya all are still reading. I can't wait to get to the good stuff with these two. Enjoy :) 

Like I Love You

Chapter 4.  

Justin made sure he was awake bright and early the next morning, wanting to do what he could to avoid putting Brynn in a bad mood before their day even got started. He even startled her by opening the door to his hotel room before she could knock. He smiled brightly at her, laughing at her confused expression. 


“Morning sunshine.” He said, greeting his assistant.

“You’re on time.” She voiced, looking back at him dumbfounded.

“Alarm clocks are beautiful.” Justin smirked as they continued down the hallway once again towards the elevator.

“You don’t say?” Brynn eyed him, her lips turning up in half a smile.

Justin eyed her up and down trying to be not so obvious as he took in her new attire for the day. Gone were her high heels but instead they were replaced by a pair of ballet flats. Her dress slacks were substituted by a pair of dark form fitting jeans and a casual lavender polo shirt. He smiled, realizing her hair had been left down as it had the a few short weeks ago, looking soft and wavy and he fought the urge to reach out and touch it. She looked good. Casual suited her and even tamed down her image a little. She looked not so intimidating for a change.

“So I see you traded in the heels.” Justin said as they stepped outside into the awaiting SUV.

Brynn shrugged. “You’re just rehearsing and stuff today. They didn’t seem practical.”

“It had nothing to do with the fact that they hurt your feet at all?” He asked, raising a brow in question.

“Nope. Nobody ever said it was pain free to look nice.”

He laughed at that. “I will never understand women and their beauty drama.”

“Well we can’t all just roll out of bed and call it a day.”  She sassed back.

Justin laughed again, shrugging his shoulders cockily. “Not everyone can be blessed with my good looks.”

Brynn rolled her eyes, trying her best not to smile but it quickly broke through.

“It’s too bad you don’t have a big ego or anything.”

He elbowed her softly, his arm brushing hers as he tried not to notice how soft her skin was.

“Lighten up, Brynn. I was just joking around.”

She nodded as silence slowly ticked on between them in the car. “So you’ve got rehearsals today and then you’re going to meet with the director and finalize the concept for your music video,”

Justin looked at her as she scrolled through her blackberry, giving him the itinerary once again as if he’d forgot. It was in his mind to snap at her, not wanted a run down but the words died on his tongue. Instead he focused on how cute she looked, her ‘boss lady’ mode taking over.

“... Then tomorrow your first single will be released on the radio. Which reminds me, I have to e-mail Johnny airplay results by the end of the day. Then you’ll be shooting the video for ‘Like I Love You’ and then we’ve gotta prepare for the VMA’s.”

Laughing, Justin raised his eyebrows, waiting for her to take a breath. When he said nothing for several seconds after she stopped her rant, she turned to him, noting the expression on his face and her cheeks turned a light shade of pink.

“Anything else?”

She bit her lip, letting out the briefest laugh. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay Boss Lady,” Justin voiced winking at her which only caused Brynn to blush again. “I know your day just wouldn’t be the same if you couldn’t ramble off the schedule.”

“Pshh. Whatever Timberlake. It’s my job to keep you in line.”

He shook his head and winked at her once again just as they pulled up to the dance studio.

“Oh I’m sure you will, Brynn.” Justin said as he winked before giving her one of his award winning smiles.

She let out a shaky breath as she followed him out of the SUV, trying to ignore the feeling she got when he looked at her that way. Apparently it had been way too long since she had been in close quarters with a male. Way too long.

**

Brynn watched from the corner as Justin sat on the floor, legs out in front of him as he stretched, getting ready to begin rehearsing with his Choreographer. She tried to do a mental run through, thinking of everything that needed to be accomplished for the day. It was amazing what it took to promote an album. So many specifications, so much work, so many technicalities. All for one person.

Biting her lip in indecision, she debated on leaving for a short while, figuring it would be pointless to just stand around and watch Justin practice when there was other things she could be doing. She had phone calls to make, functions that needed to be confirmed and daily reports to e-mail to Johnny. She tired just thinking about it all but Brynn was a professional so she’d see through that it all got done and it was done right.

“I’ll be back.” She called to Justin, who sat on the floor a few feet from her. Turning on her heels, she made to leave before his voice caught her.

“You’re not staying?” He questioned, craning his neck in her direction.

“I’ve some things to do but it shouldn’t take long. I’m sure you can manage without me for a while.”

He smirked back at her as he stood up and jogged the few steps to stand in front of the mirror.  “I don’t know,” He voiced licking his lips. “I may need another schedule run down.”

Brynn glared at him steadily as she crossed her arms over her chest. “Smartass.”

Justin chuckled, a deep down genuine laugh as he took the few short steps to stand in front of her. “I was just kidding. Lighten up, girl.”

“Whatever. I’ll be back. Don’t do anything stupid now.”

“I’ll be on my best behaviour.” He mocked back in a funny voice.

Brynn shook her head as she gathered her things and walked out the door. She wondered where this joking between the two of them had come from today but  she wasn’t about to complain. It made for a stress free day for the time being and Justin in a good mood made things a lot easier to handle. She only hoped it could last.

**
Returning an hour later, Brynn crept quietly into the studio as Justin’s voice loudly flowed throughout the speakers in the building as Like I Love You played. She stood in the corner for a moment, out of vision as she watched slightly mesmerized as Justin moved gracefully along side his Choreographer. His body seemed to anticipate every move, moving as if it were effortless and he had been born to do it.

She tried not to bob her head to the catchy beat of his first single but the rhythm got the best of her and Brynn found herself singing along. No matter how much she wanted to dislike his music, she couldn’t. It was catchy, up beat and the his voice wasn’t that bad either but she’d never admit that to him.

When the song finally ended, she stepped a little further into the room as Justin caught her eye in the mirror in front of him and smiled.

“You made it back in once piece.” He quipped.

“And I see you survived without me.” She spit back.

“Hardly.” He grinned as he pulled the blue knit beanie from his head, gratefully taking the bottle of water she handed him.

Brynn tried to move her feet but they stayed glued to the floor beneath her as she watched a small bead of sweat zigzag down the side of his face. She cleared her throat as he lifted his t-shirt to wipe it off, exposing his tanned and toned stomach as her heart skipped a beat. Why did she suddenly feel so nervous?

“I um, brought you lunch.” She said filling the sudden tension as she handed him the plastic bag in her right hand.

“Subway! You’re the best. I’m starving.” His eyes widened as he reached for the bag and smiled, startling her even more as he leaned forward placing a casual kiss on her forehead.

Her breath hitched ever so slightly as the scent of him enveloped her unlike anything she had expected. His sweat mixed together with just a hint of aftershave creating something masculine and forbidden.

Brynn stood still shocked by the gesture even though he did it so mindless, all for a sandwich? She was surprised how he didn’t seem to hold any kind of grudge against her even though she had been less then nice to him. In fact, he seemed pressed on getting her to loosen up and let a little bit of her professionalism go. She couldn’t though. This was business and she was working for him. Things had to go right in order for her to prove to Johnny that she was able to handle something bigger down the road. She’s never be in charge of her own tour if she let her guard down and everything went to hell. She wouldn’t let it happen.

“You- you’re welcome.” She stuttered. “I didn’t know if you guys would be ready for a break yet or not.”

“We were just about to take one so your timing couldn’t have been more perfect.” Justin smiled once again before taking his sub out and digging in.

“Good.” She tried to smile back but an uneasy feeling settled over her.

“Did you get something to eat?” He asked as walked across the studio and slid down on the floor.

“Yeah, I grabbed something before I came back.” She replied dismissively before she slid down next to him but tried to keep her distance. She didn’t exactly have anywhere else to go.

“You sure?”

Brynn rolled her eyes at the worried look he gave her. “Yes, Dad.”

He laughed before the only sounds that could be heard was was his chewing.

“Just checking dear.”

Shaking her head, Brynn pulled a magazine out of her messenger bag and began flipping through the pages hoping to keep her mind occupied while Justin finished his lunch.

**

Thirty minutes later, Brynn watched Justin go through the moves once again, stopping every once and a while to correct then beginning again. She was amazed how he easily he took direction, doing his best to get the moves just right.

The way he moved.. She tried to keep her mind filled with her dislike for this job and how easy it would be to keep up a cold front towards Justin, keeping him at bay.. keeping him far away from her heart. But not matter how hard she tried, Brynn was quickly running out of reasons to dislike him. It had only been a few days but he was trying to get her to drop the professional act and see the real him. Maybe she didn’t know the real him just yet but what she did see was hard not to like. He had a certain energy about him, a charm almost.

Her thoughts were quickly averted as she heard Justin groan just before she looked up to see him twist his body unnaturally and fall. On her feet in seconds flat, she joined Marty and was by his side quickly.

“Are you okay?” She asked frantically as she knelt down beside him.

“Shit.” Just moaned between gritted teeth as he tried to move, holding his left foot.

“I’ll go get you some ice.” Marty said, quickly standing.

“Where does it hurt?” Brynn asked, as she placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

“It’s my ankle.” Justin said in as he took deep breaths. “I landed on it wrong.”

“Do you think you can stand?” Marty asked, coming back with a bag of ice as somebody brought a chair into the room.

“Yeah, just give me a few.”  He said, slowly stretching his foot.

Marty reached his hand out and Justin took it as Brynn wrapped her hand around his bicep, trying to help.

“Easy does it, Justin.” She crooned, helping him stand and then balancing him into the chair.

Reaching down, she helped him untie his shoe before pulling his sock down to get a better look. Placing the ice of top of his swelling foot, she took in the expression on his face. He was really in pain.

“Maybe we should go get it checked out.” Brynn suggested, ready to call Johnny.

“No!” Justin voiced loudly. “It’ll be fine.”

“You sure man?” Marty asked, looking worried himself. “It wouldn’t hurt.”

“I said it’ll be fine. Just give me a damn minute.”

Brynn stepped back at his rough rough tone, not use to this side of him. She didn’t know exactly what to do. He said he was fine but something deep down told her he should at least get it checked out. There were way too many things coming up that he needed to be at a hundred percent for. They couldn’t afford to chance it.

Marty gave her a sympathetic look, as Brynn stepped back, letting him deal with Justin.

“I think we need to call it a day, Justin. Go get some rest and ice it. We can always come back and do it again with the dancers.  You’ve got the moves down though so I’m not worried.”

His shoulders went slack a little as he finally gave in. Maybe that was something Brynn was lacking. That guy to guy camaraderie. It didn’t matter though. Whatever it took for him to drop his macho attitude and be done for the day.

“Fine, whatever.”

“I’ll go find Lonnie and let him know we’re leaving.” Brynn said, relief in her voice as she turned to leave, hearing Justin let out a discouraged sigh as she parted.

*
Minutes later Brynn walked closely next to a hobbling Justin. She had grabbed his things, doing her best to make the short trip to the car easier.

When she had offered to help him, he had refused and that simple act shocked her a little. He had been in a bad mood ever since he fell. She just didn’t get it.

The ride back to the hotel was silent besides Brynn trying to convince Justin to go to the emergency room to get checked out. Once again he had brushed her off, reminding his assistant that he was fine. Even Lonnie could do no good. Justin had his mind made up. Gone was the teasing banter they’d had today all with the flip of a switch.  

“Why are we going back to the hotel? I’ve gotta finalize stuff for the video.” Justin voiced angrily.

“It’ll get done Justin. I arranged to have a conference call later today.”

“I’m not a damn invalid.”

Brynn looked back at him, her eyes wide once again. He had done a one eighty on her.

“I never said you were but you need to rest and ice your foot. You can’t afford to miss any of these events coming up.”

She made sure her tone was cool and firm, letting him know she was laying down the law if he liked it or not. The change in her voice seemed to silence him until they made it back to the hotel as Lonnie pulled around the back entrance. She didn’t need a mob of people running towards him in this condition.

When they finally made it to Justin’s room, Brynn gave him strict instructions to rest and ice his foot. Surprising him, she followed making sure he got settled. He watched silently from the couch as she went to retrieve a pillow from his bedroom and came and propped it under his ankle on the coffee table. Setting the bag of ice on it once again, she grabbed the hotels bucket made specifically for it and went down the hall to fill it. When she returned, Justin had flicked the television on and was leaning back against the couch looking annoyed.

“Need anything?” She asked, coming to stand by his side.

“No. I’m fine.” He stated, looking anywhere but at Brynn.

Silence lingered for a moment before she finally found her voice.

“Ok then, I’m going to get going.”

She turned to leave but he quickly reached out and grabbed her hand. “Brynn wait!” He said, his voice full of concern causing her to turn back around, looking into crystal blue eyes. “I’m sorry I’m being such an ass.”

She stood still, surprised by his sudden change in attitude but mostly how his soft hand still held on to hers.

“Will you please stay with me for a little bit?”

Brynn bit her lip in indecision, knowing it’d probably be smart if she left but still the caring part nagged deep down. So did the helplessness in his voice that interrupted her train of thought.

“Please? I don’t really wanna be alone right now.”

He began to rub slow circles against her palm with his thumb and Brynn’s first instinct was to pull away but she couldn’t. Something kept her feet planted on the floor, unable to move and her hand locked with his.

“Fine,” She answered, watching as his face relaxed. “But only for a little bit.”

“Thanks.” Justin smiled, moving to scoot over a little on the couch, making room for Brynn.

She looked between the sofa and the small chaise lounge across the room. Wouldn’t it be better to sit far away from him? Contemplating for a moment, Brynn couldn't dismiss the eager look Justin held, looking back at her, waiting for her to sit next to him.

It was in her brain to keep her professionalism- knowing deep down that this went beyond employee/assistant etiquette. Still, looking past all that,  she couldn’t help but see a lost and lonely boy inside of Justin. She had known who he was for years but was slowly getting to know the real him and something deep down told her that maybe he wasn’t all that bad.

Biting her lip in indecision, she took the small step and released her hand from Justin’s as she took a seat behind him. This was fine, neutral territory, she told herself, indicating the slight gap between them.

“So what are we watching?” She questioned, filling the silence as he flicked on the TV.

He turned to face her, a small smile creeping across his lips. “Well, I don’t think The Price is Right is on right now..”

Brynn shook her head and let out a slight laugh. “Darn.” She was happy to see some of the humor was back in his voice.

“We could watch a movie?”

“Sounds good. I’m not picky.” Brynn said as she shrugged, bringing her legs up and under her, getting more comfortable as she felt her eyes quickly become heavy.

*
Forty-five minutes later

Blinking her eyes and slowly becoming awake, Brynn tried to guess where she was. Wherever she was, the room had become dark but what threw her off more was the solid, hard form beneath her. She was overwhelmed by light masculine scent surrounding her but more so by the arm draped warmly across her shoulders.

She pulled back slightly, her heart beating hard in her chest as her eyes came into focus and soft blue eyes shined back at her, a slight smile evident across his face.

“Justin?...” Brynn questioned, as she pulled back a little.

“Yeah?” He asked, the look on his face resembling nothing of what she was feeling. “Hi.” His eyes held hers for a moment, looking way beyond the deep chocolate brown color of her own.

“What....”

Just a word. She was clueless as to how she’d fallen asleep with her client. How could she have been so stupid? The question repeated itself in her head over and over.

Brynn watched as Justin licked his lips, his hand coming up to scrub across his face.

“I guess the movie was boring because we both fell asleep.” He smiled back at her, looking all rumpled and sleepy as his arm stayed slung behind her shoulders, very close to her back.

“I should go.” She expressed, regret heavy in the pit of her stomach.

He shook his head, sitting up a little more, careful not to hurt his ankle but his eyes stayed glued on hers.

“You don’t have to.”

Shaking her head, Brynn tucked her hair behind her ears nervously.

“I think it’s best that I do.” She voiced and Justin felt his heart sink slightly. “How’s your ankle feeling?”

He shrugged. “It’s fine.”

“Well then I best be going. Call me if you need anything.” She said kindly as she went to stand but her legs wouldn’t move.

“Brynn!” Justin said, his voice urgent, reaching out for her hand once more as she swung around to face him. “We just fell asleep. Chill out.” Justin could read her nervousness clear as day.

“I know.” She answered a little too quickly. “But still, I need to go.”

“Okay then.” His hand fell as she pulled back, sitting on the edge of the couch.

Time ticked on slowly but neither of them moved. Brynn couldn’t stop the pull as she looked back at Justin, his eyes doing something to her and making her feel something that she didn’t know how to question.

She watched as he licked his lips slowly, mesmerized by the simple yet seductive gesture. She didn’t have to look down between them to know his large hand was laying next to hurts, the heat of it evident.

Justin looked back into brown eyes, watching as the wheels in Brynn’s head turned slightly. He didn’t want her to leave. Something strong hit him directly in the chest, realizing that this was the first time in a while that he’d actually felt something for another woman. With each day that passed, he was slowly getting over the heartbreak of his last relationship and ever since he had bumped into Brynn Clarkson, his hormones seemed to be working properly.

If only she didn’t work for him.

Still, something inside of him pulled towards her, slowly, just maybe, possibly..

His head leaned forward slowly, inching closer to her face as he watched the wheels in her head turn, her brown eyes full of indecision and confusion. When her eyes fluttered shut, Justin saw this as his chance and just as the tips of his fingers touched her jaw, her eyes snapped open, the look of fear and shock evident, as she pulled back.

“I-um, I’ve gotta get going.” She voiced, standing quickly as panic masked everything else.

Justin let out the breath he’d been holding, scrubbing a hand over his face, suddenly embarrassed. Reluctantly he stood, hobbling on his bad ankle as he followed her to the door as quickly as his body would allow.

“Thanks for helping me out today. You know- with my ankle and everything.”

Brynn nodded quickly at him before reaching for the door. “You’re welcome Justin. Give me a call if you need anything."

Oh he needed something alright but was more than willing to bet that she wouldn’t be willing to comply. Running a hand through his hair, Justin could only watch as the empty feeling returned as she walked down the hallway.

*
Brynn tried to gather herself as she stepped inside the empty elevator and it closed. What had she just done? Falling asleep with a client. It was an accident but still, her self right got the best of her once again. She was trying to prove herself to Johnny. Let him know that she could handle things.. big things like being an assistant one of Jives biggest artists.

Letting out a deep breath, she tried desperately to shake the thoughts from her mind. She couldn’t figure out what she felt more guilty about. A momentary lapse of professionalism or how good it felt when she woke up in Justin’s arms and the way her heart hammered against her chest as Justin’s fingers touched her jaw creating havoc in her world. Thankfully, her mind was still alert enough to tell her to pull away, to resist, if only for the moment.

Either way, Brynn couldn’t help but feel like was royally screwed no matter what she did.

And this was only the beginning.

End Notes:
Thoughts? Reviews? ;)
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2040