The Heart of Life by Jamie Lynn
Summary: Ava McKinley has her own ideas about what love is suppossed to be. She's decided that she's had her fun, and wants to settle down and have kids before she's sixty.

Her only problem? Finding the love, and the man that fits the bill.

Justin on the other hand has been burned by love one too many times. He was a career, a life, people, and a routine that he's used to. He's given up on finding his true love and decides that other priorities are more important, and love just doesnt fit into the equation right now.

But fate has a way of turning things around, and making things fit where we sometimes dont see possible.
Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Drama, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 38464 Read: 32220 Published: Jun 14, 2007 Updated: Jun 24, 2008
Story Notes:
Disclaimer: I do not claim to know Justin Timberlake, his family, friends, or anyone closely related to him. The feelings expressed in this story simply fiction and I do not claim to know that this is how the publicly recognisable characters would feel.

1. Disastrous Dates and Dr. McDreamy : Chapter 1 by Jamie Lynn

2. Comfortable : Chapter 2 by Jamie Lynn

3. Taking A Chance : Chapter 3 by Jamie Lynn

4. And So We Meet Again : Chapter 4 by Jamie Lynn

5. And So It Begins : Chapter 5 by Jamie Lynn

6. Psych Books and Odd Phone Calls : Chapter 6 by Jamie Lynn

7. How? : Chapter 7 by Jamie Lynn

8. Chapter 8 by Jamie Lynn

9. Is It Lack of Caffeine or Sleep? : Chapter 9 by Jamie Lynn

10. Icky Cucumbers : Chapter 10 by Jamie Lynn

11. Nosy Mothers and Evil Sister-In-Laws : Chapter 11 by Jamie Lynn

12. Jealous Much? : Chapter 12 by Jamie Lynn

13. My Confessions : Chapter 13 by Jamie Lynn

14. Is It A Good Kiss or Lack of Oxygen? : Chapter 14 by Jamie Lynn

15. Things Are Finally Starting To Look Up : Chapter 15 by Jamie Lynn

Disastrous Dates and Dr. McDreamy : Chapter 1 by Jamie Lynn
Author's Notes:
Well, here's my new one. Please, please, tell me what you think! I absolutely LOVE hearing feedback. I didn't think I would get this out so soon, but inspiration hit when I least expected it. I hope you guys enjoy!

I'll come up with witty Chapter titles later! LOL
“I had a nice time.”

Ava smiled as she moved closer to her apartment door. She reached behind her and placed her hand on her door knob. She tried to muster up the most enthusiastic voice she could, and lied to the man standing before her, “So did I.”

He looked back and forth between her and the elevator, and nervously tried to find the words he was trying to say, “Are you sure you want to end it so soon? I mean we can go get some coffee or something if you want?”

She honestly felt bad for the guy, she really did. But he simply wasn’t her type. Matthew, the date she had no interest in that was standing before her, wasn’t exactly the type of guy she loathed. She was a sucker for the dorky types. But this guy…she wasn’t sure what he was. She could tell that it took all of his confidence to even go on this date with her, and he was nervous all through out the date. He had took her to a nice restaurant, and everything was going fine…until he knocked over a glass of red wine that spilled on her new baby blue dress. He instantly apologized and quickly tried to help her clean up the mess. He offered her his suit jacket, which she thought was very sweet.

She knew it was accident and honestly wasn’t mad at him. But as the night progressed, so did the accidents.

She felt bad for him, and hated what she was about to do. But he just didn’t have what she was looking for.

Ava reached up and pushed some stray hair behind her ear, “Umm, thank you for the date. I, uh, I think I’m gonna go now.” She said as she offered him her best smile.

“Alright, thank you for agreeing to the date.”

“No problem.” She felt a little better when she realized she would have someone to take her anger out on once she stepped inside, who was her roommate, and also the person behind this whole blind date thing.

He smiled at her, and he honestly had a great smile. A smile that would someday make any girl happy to be on the receiving in…but that someone wasn’t her.

“Can I call you again?” he asked and for the first time that night she actually heard confidence behind his words.

She felt the guilt butterflies began to flutter in her stomach, “Matt, I really did enjoy your company tonight, but I honestly don’t see this going any further.”

“Oh.” He said as he hung his head and looked at his feet. He shoved his hands in the pocket of his slacks.

She bit her bottom lip and made a moved toward him. She placed her arm on his shoulder, “You’re a great guy. You’re adorable, funny, smart, and any girl would be lucky to have you. But I really don’t think it’s me. I really didn’t feel a connection.”

He looked back up at her and smiled a small smile, “Thank you. I’m glad you were honest with me.”

“Well I’m a firm believer that honesty is better than leading a person on.”

He smiled again, “I’ll let you go. I hope you find whatever it is you’re looking for.”

She smiled at him, “I hope the same for you. You really are a nice guy, and I’m sorry that I can’t be that person for you.”

“Me too. Goodnight, Ava.” He said as he waved at her and walked toward the elevator.

Once the elevator doors closed, she sighed and turned the knob and entered into her apartment. She closed the door behind her, and slipped out of her heels. She placed her purse on the foyer table, and walked further into the apartment. She reached the living room, and found Kaci, her roommate, lying on the couch.

“You’re back early.” She said not taking her eyes from the book she was reading. Kaci was not only her roommate but her best friend. They had known each other since high school, and were pretty much inseparable since their meeting.

Kaci and Ava were the polar opposite of each other. Kaci had blonde hair, Ava was brunette. Kaci had absolutely no idea what she was going to do with her life. She’s the live life by the moment and fly by the seat of your pants kind of girl. She’s 26, a few months older than Ava and still in college with no major declared…yet. She’s perfectly content with trying to find herself out and her waitress job at Hooter’s.

Ava is different. She liked to live life to the moment as well, but she always knew what she wanted out of life. She graduated college last year and is now a full time pediatric nurse at a hospital in the heart of LA.

Ava fell back into the couch at the other end of Kaci. “It was something short of a disaster.”

“You’re so dramatic.” Kaci said as she smiled never taking her eyes from her book as she turned the page.

“Umm, no I’m not.” Ava said rolling her eyes.

For the first time Kaci finally looked at her friend, her eyes nearly bugged out of her head when she saw her dress, “What happened to your dress?” She asked placing her book on the coffee table.

“Matthew.” Ava said sympathetically.

Kaci bit her lip, “I should have warned you that he’s the nervous type around women.”

“Yeah that would have been nice to know.”

“I’m sorry. But I thought you were a sucker for dorky guys?”

“I am. I would be the first person to fall for a Seth Cohen or Ducky, but this guy- while cute- was in a league all his own.” I said as I reached for her bottle of water on the table.

“Come on it couldn’t have been that bad.”

“I was there. And it was.”

“What else happened beside the dress incident?”

“Well after dinner- which he proceeded to order for me without my consent, and you know how I hate that- we went dancing. Everything was going good and when he went to dip me, he dropped me.”

Kaci’s mouth dropped and she laughed, “No way.”

“Yes, he did. It was all cute, and it didn’t make me mad or anything. I just…”

Kaci cut her off, “Didn’t feel a connection. I know.”

Ava rolled her eyes and laughed, “I’m sorry if I know what I’m looking for.”

“See, this is were you and I differ. What’s wrong with dating around? And actually going on more than one date with a guy? How are you going to feel a connection after just one date?”

Ava sighed and shrugged, “I have hope.”

Kaci laughed, “No, you just have high standards.” She said as she stood up and began to walk into the kitchen.

Ava turned around on the couch and looked toward the kitchen, “You act like I want a Prince Charming on a White Horse type of person. I don’t, I just simply want love. Is that so bad?”

“No, it’s what every girl wants. But some of us women don’t get that in our lives. And how are you going to know after just one date?” Kaci said as she came back into the living room and tossed her a Dr. Pepper.

“Despite what you think, I can tell after just one date if I’ll be able to go further with a guy or not.” She said as she popped the top on the can and took a drink.

“I don’t see what your rush is anyway. You’re 26, live it up girl!”

Ava laughed, “I’ve had my fun, my causal sex encounters, my drunken nights that were one to many, and my close calls. Now I want to settle down, I want to have kids before I’m thirty. I don’t want to be pushing fifty when my kids graduate.”

“I think you’ve been reading one to many Nicholas Sparks books. Come on! Noah and Allie were fictional characters.”

“Based on his wife’s grandparents. So, don’t tell me that it isn’t possible. My own grandparents are living proof of this.”

“Touché.” Kaci said as she took another drink, “How are you going to meet Love Boy when the only men you meet are expectant fathers, happily married fathers, or infants?”

“I’ll find him somehow.” Ava said as she took another drink of her Dr. Pepper. She pulled herself off the couch and addressed her friend, “I think I’m gonna hit the showers, and try to wash off the disaster of the night.”

“Alright. Hey, I bought the second season of Grey’s Anatomy. When you get out of the shower you wanna have a date with the only guy you depend on?”

Ava smiled at the thought of McDreamy, “Sounds wonderful. Give me ten minutes.”

With thoughts of her impending date with Patrick Dempsey, she hurried into the shower. All thoughts of the Disaster Date gone from the brain…well at least for now.
End Notes:
Well...Go On! Tell me what you think! LOL. Did I mention that I love you guys? : )
Comfortable : Chapter 2 by Jamie Lynn
Author's Notes:
"I loved you, grey sweatpants, no makeup, so perfect...our love was comfortable..." Comfortable- John Mayer

Inspiration hit! So here's the newest addition...I think I finally found out where this is going. Hope you like!
A small head of curly wheat blonde hair silently made her way out of her bedroom complete with her little brown teddy bear tucked under her arm and clad with her favorite pair of pink Pajamas. She quickly ran across the hall to the room next to hers. She stood on her tip toes, and reached with all her might for the door knob. She twisted the knob and silently pushed the door open enough for her little body to slip through. She smiled when she heard the soft snores of her father coming from the bed. She silently ran to the bed that was almost too big for her to climb up on, but she had mastered the art before she turned two. She put her teddy bear on the bed first, and the proceeded to pull herself up on the bed as well.

She giggled softly to herself as she crawled the short space between the edge of the bed and her father who was still fast asleep.

She looked for a short moment at his sleeping face, and gently placed a kiss on his cheek. This was her morning routine. She always woke up first, and much like her father, instantly wanted a bowl of cereal. She would get it herself but the counters were too high for her climb up on, and the milk was simply just too heavy.

She saw a smile tug on the edges of her father’s mouth, and she placed another kiss on his cheek. When he didn’t open his eyes on the second try, she jumped on top of him and wrapped her arms around his neck.

“Well hello sunshine.” He said groggily as he wrapped his long arms around her little body. He couldn’t think of a better way to wake up than this.

No woman could provide half the comfort he felt when he woke up to butterfly kisses from his daughter and a warm inviting hug. For the past three years since she entered his life, priorities changed. It was no longer about the women, the booze, or how many awards he could rack up with each album. It was now about his daughter first, career second. He had more incentive to do the right thing, and to do right by her. He now not only wanted to be known as Justin Timberlake Super Pop Star, but as Justin Timberlake Father of Olivia Lynn Timberlake.

“Good morning daddy.” She said in her sweet little voice, as she picked her head up from its spot on his chest to look him in the eye, and offered him a toothy grin.

“Good morning to you Princess. What are you doing up so early?”

“I woked up.” She said

He laughed at her simple child like answer, “I can see that.”

“I hungry.” She said as she patted her tummy. A cute gesture she picked up from her forever hungry father.

“You are?” He said enthusiastically as he picked her up and held her up as high as his arms could go into the air. He smiled as squeals of delight came out of her mouth.

“Me down, Daddy!” she said smiling as she kicked her legs in the air.

“You can’t be hungry you just ate.” He said

“That was last night. It’s morning.”

He made a surprised look on his face to make his daughter think she knew something that he didn’t. “It is?” He said as he brought her back down and sat her on the other side of him.

“Yes, silly.” She said as she grabbed her teddy bear and sat it in her lap, “Can’t you see the sun?”

He smiled at how smart she was. She was always wanting to learn everything she could about anything. But of course when she was learning to talk he pointed everything out that she needed to learn, but she was just now starting to relate everything with its function. He was just glad she hadn’t reached the point where she asked why yet. Because honestly he didn’t have the answer as to why the sky is blue, and didn’t know how to make her understand that it just was.

He knew that she thought that Dad knows everything, but honestly he really didn’t.

He didn’t know the first thing about being a father when he started this new job, but at this point he realized that he wasn’t doing that bad of a job.

“Is that what that bright thing is outside?” He asked her as he squinted, “How did you become so smart?” He said as he poked her in the side.

Olivia giggled in response, “I hungry.”

The instant hunger was brought up his own stomach began to growl, Olivia laughed at the noise, and said “The monster inside your tummy is hungry like mine.” She said as she rubbed her stomach.

He smiled at how cute his three year old was, and threw the covers off himself. He stood up and stretched then grabbed his daughter and gently slung her over his shoulder. “Let’s go eat.” He said as he walked toward the door taking extra bouncy steps to bounce her around a little bit.

She giggled all the way down the stairs and into the kitchen, and Justin knew that the sound of the best song he could ever write in his life would never compare to sound of his daughter’s laughter.

He sat her at a stool in her booster seat, and poured her and himself a bowl of cereal. He placed her bowl in front of her, “Eat up kid. After cartoons we’ll go to the park.” He said as he ruffled her curls making some fall in her face.

He smiled when she huffed and gave her father a stern look. She sighed and pushed them out of her face.





“I’m going to be sitting right here ok, baby?” Justin called to his daughter who was currently playing in the sandbox. He fished his ringing cell phone out of his pocket; he had it in his hand but didn’t want to give his attention to the phone until he knew that Olivia knew where he was going to be.

“Livvie? Did you hear me?”

“Yes Daddy!” She said never taking her attention from the sand.

He smiled and walked to the bench under a shady tree. He pressed the green button on his phone and pressed it to his ear, “Hello?”

“It’s about time.”

Justin smiled at his friend’s over-dramatic tone, “Hello to you too Trace.”

“Where are you at? I just drove by your house and you’re not home?”

“Livvie and I are at the park.”

He could almost hear his best friend smile at the mention of Olivia, “How’s my girl?”

“She’s fine. She’s playing in the sandbox right now.” He said as looked fondly over to his little girl.

“Speaking of my little munchkin I have a proposition for you.”

He wasn’t so sure if he wanted to know what it was. Especially if talking about his daughter brought it up, “What’s that?”

“How about you leave The Munchkin with a sitter tonight?”

He shook his head even though he knew Trace couldn’t see it, “No.”

“Justin, come on. You haven’t been out in a long time.”

“No, Trace. I’m sorry.”

“Justin, don’t do this. Not tonight.”

“What’s so important about tonight?”

He heard Trace clear his throat, “Uhm…I kind of set you up on a blind date.”

“You what?”

“I set you up on a blind date.”

He sighed, “I heard you the first time. Why would you do that?”

“Because…I thought it would be good for you to get out. It’s been three years, Justin.”

“I’m well aware of how long it’s been. You don’t get the right to decide when’s the right time for me to start dating again.”

“Justin, you can’t stay in your house forever.”

“I don’t. I’m at the park right now aren’t I?”

“That’s not what I meant. I know you get out, but you don’t go anywhere without Olivia.”

“She’s my child, Trace. It’s not that uncommon for a father to take his daughter everywhere he goes.”

“Yes, but just because you have a child doesn’t mean you have to cut yourself off from the social world. When was the last time that you went somewhere just for you?”

Justin sat in silence. He didn’t even want to respond. He couldn’t believe that Trace would so something like this.

“I don’t know.” Justin said. That’s all he could come up with.

“My point exactly.”


“Just because you’re my best friend doesn’t mean you get the right to dictate when it’s time for me to get back in the dating mode. I can’t believe you did this. You know how I feel about it. I’ve turned you down every other time you tried to set me up with someone. Is that why you did this without my knowing?”

“Yes, and I’m sorry. But I think three years is long enough.”

“You don’t get to decide that! My wife died Trace. She died! I get to decide when it’s best for me to move on. Why can’t you accept that?” Justin yelled.

The silence on the other end of the line was deafening. It almost made Justin feel sorry for yelling at Trace, but he was so sick of people telling him when it was right for him to move on.

For some people three years may be long enough, but it didn’t seem like long enough for Justin.

In fact it still felt like yesterday to him.

In the span of one hour his whole world changed. Melissa, his wife, had just gone to the store to get some diapers. Olivia was only a few days old at the time, and he had offered to go get them. But she insisted she go.

Said she wanted to get out.

He knew something was wrong when she hadn’t returned in over three hours. He had called her cell phone at least twenty times with no answer.

He was about to go out to look for her when it got to 11:30 and she hadn’t shown up when his doorbell rang.

Had he known what was to be behind that door he wouldn’t have answered. Sure it wouldn’t have changed anything but just knowing what was there…

Finally Trace spoke up, “Listen, I’m sorry. You’re right. I was just trying to help. I’m worried about you, and I just thought that if I gave the extra push you’d get back out there. I over stepped my boundaries, and I’m sorry.”

Justin wiped a few stray tears away, “It’s ok. I’m sorry for yelling at you.”

“No need to apologize. I deserved it. I’ll call and cancel, alright?”

“Alright.” He said in a sad solemn voice.

“Kiss the munchkin for me?” Trace asked.

“You bet.” Justin said with a smile.

“I’m gonna go. I’ll probably drop by later.”

“Alright, that sounds fine.”

“Bye man.” Trace said.

“Bye.” Justin said as he pressed the red end button. He sat the phone on the bench beside him and ran his fingers through his hair.

Melissa had died in a car wreck. Some stupid drunk idiot ran a red light and t-boned her car sending her in the path of another car.

Needless to say there wasn’t much left of the car, and the paramedics say she died on impact.

That did nothing to satisfy his mind at all. He often found himself what she was thinking before everything happened. Did she feel any pain?

For his sake and Melissa’s he really hoped she didn’t feel any.

He leaned over a little and rested his elbows on his knees. He looked down at the ground and sighed.

He lifted his head at the sound of his daughter laughing.

That was the one thing that really hurt the most.

He was left here to raise his daughter…alone. He had no one to share in the joy of her laughter, no one to do her hair- although he had mastered the art of pig tails and the pony tail- and it was just too much at times. Not raising her, but the pain of knowing Melissa never had the chance to know what an amazing little girl they had.

“Daddy! Come look at my cassle!”

“Coming baby!” He called back as he stood and put his cell phone back in his pocket.

All problems that he was having were put aside…his daughter came first. He could deal with the rest later.



By four o’clock Justin and Olivia were on their way home. Five minutes down the road she was asleep in her car seat. Justin looked back at her from the review mirror and smiled.

It didn’t matter how much or how long he played with Olivia…he still couldn’t get what Trace said out of his head.

Maybe it was time he dated again. Or not really dating but at least getting out of the house and doing something for himself.

He owed it to Olivia to be the best father he could be…and he knew he couldn’t do that if he didn’t get at least a small break every now and then. And besides how would he ever know if he was ready if he didn’t try first?

Before he even knew what he was doing he had his cell phone pressed to his ear calling Trace.

“What up?”

“Have you called and canceled that date already?”

“No not yet, why?”

He breathed in deep and then came out with it, “I’ll go.”

He heard Trace cough loudly, “What?”

“I said I’ll go. You were right about me needing to get out, and I figured…why not?”

“That’s great buddy. Really it is, but do you think you’re ready?”

“Honestly? No I don’t. But how will I know if I never try?”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah man. Do it before I change my mind.”

“Alright man. I’ll go you back with details.”

“Alright bye.” Justin said as he hung up. He placed his phone back in the cup holder.

He let out a deep breath, and continued driving to his house.

“I can’t believe I just did that.” He said to himself as he flipped his blinker on and got off on the exit to go to his house.

He had a feeling that he didn’t know what he was getting himself into.
Taking A Chance : Chapter 3 by Jamie Lynn
Author's Notes:
Well aren't you peeps lucky! What can I say...John Mayer knows how to inspire! So does Deliah! I was listening to her radio show and it gave me an idea of where I wanted this to go and it just so happened to go with the song that this story is named after. Go figure! Anyway, I 'm done yakking...GO READ! LOL
“What happened this time?” Kaci asked as Ava walked into their apartment. She slipped out of her shoes and walked around the couch and fell into it.

“Nothing.” Ava said as she placed an arm over her eyes.

“Oh so you mean that this guy actually gets a second date?”

“Nope.”

“Ava come on! What was wrong with Cameron? He’s hot, takes care of himself, and wants 3.5 kids the house with a two car garage and a white picket fence…like yourself. What’s up with that?”

Ava sighed and took her arm from her face, “I’m sure I would have been able to find all that out if he would have talked to me instead of into his phone the whole time.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes I’m serious. Honestly, we talked for about two minutes in the car, and then his stupid phone rang. He only got off it long enough at the restaurant to order food. Which by the way he didn’t let me order at all. He just ordered the same as what he got for me. Then…oh god you’re not going to believe this…he actually asked me to split the bill with him!” She said throwing her arms up in the air.

“Wow.” Kaci said.

“So yeah that’s definitely someone that I want to have 3.5 kids with.”

“I’m sorry. Had I known he was that kind of date I wouldn’t have set you up with him.”

“It’s ok. But honestly I think you don’t have to set me up anymore. I’m just sick of all of it. I’ll find Mr. Right when I’m supposed too.”

“Even if it means you have to wait until you’re thirty?”

“If it takes that long I’ll just be better off being single for the rest of my life.”

“Maybe you’re looking too hard. Just chill for a while. You’ll find him.”

“You’re right.”

Kaci smiled, “As I always am.”

“I think I’m gonna go take a nice hot bath.” Ava said as she stood herself up from the couch and began her trek into her room, “Thanks for the counseling session.” She called from the hallway.

Kaci smiled and picked up her book, “I’ll leave my bill by the coffee maker in the morning!” She called back.

“HA!” Ava said then closed her bedroom door.




Ava switched her weight from one foot to the other as she stood in front of the bar of a very nice restaurant. She looked at her watch one more time…ten minutes late.

She sighed and placed her purse on the bar counter and slid herself on to one of the wooden stools. “How’d I let you talk me into this one Kaci.” She said under her breath.

It was a week after she had told Kaci not to set her up with anyone anyomore. But she promised that this guy was worth the two hours spent away from her couch, TV, Ice Cream, and Dr. McDreamy.

She was beginning to think that no man was worth that. It's pretty hard to find someone who measures up to Patrick Dempsey.

“Can I get you anything?” said the bar tender.

“Just water will be fine.”

“You look like you could use something harder.” The bar tender said as he placed a bottle of water in front of her.

“I’ll probably need one before the night is over.” Ava said as she twisted the cap off the green glass bottle.

“Well I’ll be here.”

“Thanks.” She said as she took a drink.

The bar tender walked away back to wiping his glasses.

She looked up when she saw someone come up beside her, and almost spit out her drink when she saw who it was. But she kept her cool.

The bar tender walked up to him, “Can I get you anything?”

“Yeah a rum and coke should probably do the trick.” He said reflecting the way she felt at the moment. She couldn’t imagine Justin Timberlake being on a date from hell.

In fact she couldn’t have imagine him on another date at all…since the public spectacle the media made of his private life. Especially after his wife passed away.

She genuinely felt sorry for him. She knew how it felt to loose someone close to you, but she didn’t have to grieve and mourn in front of the whole world.

“Coming right up.” He said as he started to make Justin his drink.

“You sound about like how I feel.” Ava said placing her water bottle on the counter.

His head jerked in her direction and he smiled, “Blind date. That’s the last time I ever let my friend set me up at all. You too, huh?”

“Oh mine never started.” Ava said as she pushed some hair behind her ears. She looked at her watch, “As of right now he is officially twenty minutes late.”

“Not much of a first impression.” He said as he accepted the drink the tender put in front of him he looked back at him as if to say thank you.

“I’ve done this about a half a million times. My friend keeps setting me up with all these guys she thinks I’ll get along with and they all turn out…so completely wrong. I don’t know why I thought this time would be any different.” She said as she grabbed her water and took a drink.

“I knew what I was getting myself into when I accepted his offer. The last person he tried to set me up with…she was a complete piece of work. Definitely not worth the hour that was spent away from my daughter.” He said taking a sip of his own drink.

She smiled at the mention of his daughter. She had seen pictures of her in one of the many celebrity magazines that Kaci kept all over the house. She really was adorable.

She thought it might be best if she introduced herself, “I’m Ava.” She said sticking out her hand toward him.

He smiled and accepted it, “I’m Justin. Which I’m sure you already knew that.” He said as he gently shook her hand.

“Yeah.” She said pulling her hand back. She looked around as if looking for someone, “Where’s your date?”

“Oh I saw her off a few minutes ago. I don’t think I was ever so happy to see a girl leave my sights before.” He said with a small laugh as he looked into his glass and let his fingers run over the glass.

“It’s nice to see you getting back into the swing of things though. I know what you went through must have been horrible.”

He simply pressed his lips together and slowly nodded his head.

“I’m sorry if I over stepped a boundary there.” She said immediately wishing she hadn’t of said what she did.

“No, no, you’re fine. It’s just I’m not sure if I’m ready to back into this again. This is the second blind date. And my second date since I was married four years ago. I was ready to settle down then and to think that I have to go through this whole process and find the someone that I thought I had already found all over again is….just a little overwhelming.”

She simply just listened. That’s all she could do. She had never had to experience what he did and she couldn’t think of anything to say accept the over used I’m sorry. And she knew that it must be tiring to hear that phrase over and over again so she simply just kept her mouth shut and listened.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be pouring all this out on you. I barely even know you.”

“No don’t apologize. It’s fine. I’m a good listener. Or so I’m told.”

He laughed, “Thanks.”

“No problem.”

“It’s just it’s been three years. It seems like it’s been long enough.”

“Some people just need more time.”

“I know. It’s just I don’t want to be by myself for the rest of my life, but I also don’t want to go through all this again. I mean I loved my wife. I loved her very much. And to think that I am supposedly to spend the rest of my life with some other woman that’s not her is a hard pill to swallow.” He said as he stared down into this glass. He had barely drunk any of it. “Melissa, my wife, she was killed by a drunk driver.”

“I read that. Did they ever catch him?”

He slowly shook his head, “Nope. He died too. A couple days after Melissa.” He said as he slid his drink away from him.

“I can’t imagine how hard this all was for you.”

“It’s hard for me to imagine it too. It’s hard to believe that this is my life.”

After a few more moments of silence he slid out of his stool. He reached into his pocket for his wallet and pulled out a twenty and left it under his glass, “It was nice to meet you Ava. But I think I should be going.”

“It was nice to meet you too. I’ll probably be behind you in a few minutes. Looks like my date is a No show.” She said as she offered him a comforting smile.

“Well it’s his loss.” He said with a smile, “Thank you for listening to me.”

“No problem. Maybe we’ll able to do this again one time.”

He laughed, “LA’s a pretty big city. But I’m sure somewhere down the line we’ll see each other. Take care of yourself.” He said as he took a few steps backward toward the entrance into the main part of the restaurant.

“Same to you.” She said as she waved at him. And he walked out into the restaurant waving back at her.

Well if that didn’t make her problems feel as small and petty as a rock she didn’t know what would.

Sometimes it takes another’s person’s tragedy to make you realize how good you actually got it.
And So We Meet Again : Chapter 4 by Jamie Lynn
Author's Notes:
I have to give thanks to my silent partner in crime! Thank you so much!
“Knock, knock.” Ava said as she opened the pushed open the hospital room door of one of her little patients.

She smiled when she received the beautiful toothy grin of Zoey. She was such a wonderful kid, and she hated to see her confined to this boring hospital. But luckily for her she should be able to go home tomorrow. She had a minor touch of pneumonia that came with a high fever which caused her to be hospitalized. She still had a lot of phlegm in her lungs, but her doctor said it was almost cleared up.

“Hi Miss Ava!” said the brown haired, big bright blue eyed, three year old girl.

“How are you today?”

“Good. I color you a picture.” Zoey said handing her a page out of her coloring book. To be her age she colored inside the lines pretty well, but you could still look at it and tell it was the art work of a child.

“It’s beautiful. Thank you so much.” Ava said as she placed a kiss on the top of Zoey’s head. She then turned her attention to Diane, Zoey’s mother. “The doctor said that everything is clearing up fine. She still has a little phlegm in her lungs but it’s nothing that a few breathing treatments won’t cure. So,” Ava said making a face as she looked down at Zoey, “guess who gets to go home in two days?”

Zoey’s eyes got big, “Me?”

“Of course! You know that nasty, yucky stuff that I told you was in your lungs?” Ava asked as Zoey shook her head, “Well it’s almost gone. There’s still a little left but if we keep giving you medicine it should be gone.”

“Yay!” She said excitedly clapping her hands. “I go home see my daddy and baby brother?”

Ava smiled, “Yep.”

Diane smiled, “Did you tell Miss Ava that you’re going to have company today?”

“You’re going to get some visitors?” Ava asked enthusiastically.

Zoey smiled, “Yes. Olivia and her daddy are come see me.”

“Well how cool is that?” Ava asked smiling at her.

She smiled giving her a toothy grin, “Cool. She bring me a teddy bear and new coloring books.”

“Promise you’ll color me another picture?” Ava asked looking down at Zoey.

She smiled and shook her head, “Me and Livvie will.”

“Even better.” Ava said ruffling her hair, “I’ll by in a little while to check up on you kiddo.” Ava said smiling as she walked back toward the door.

“Bye Miss Ava!” she called.

Ava turned and waved at her as she walked out of her room.

There were times like these when she really loved her job.



A few hours later Ava was sitting at the nurse’s desk going over some charts and drinking a Starbucks White Chocolate Frappicino when she heard the sound of a child voice fill the floor.

“Come on Daddy! Hurry up.”

“Livvie, baby, you need to lower your voice. Remember Daddy telling you there were sick people here who needed their rest?”

She smiled overhearing father and daughter.

“Yes.”

“Ok so do you promise you’ll be on your best behavior?”

“Promise.”

“Alright let Daddy ask one of the nurses what room she’s in and we’ll go see her ok?”

“Ok.”

It wasn’t until this point that she lifted her head, and she was surprised to see Justin coming toward the desk.

“Hey can you tell me...” He drifted off as he saw Ava, “I know you don’t I?”

Ava smiled, “Yeah we met at the bar inside Tony’s the other night.”

Justin smiled memory coming back to him, “Oh yeah! I really enjoyed talking to you that night…I’m sorry I don’t remember your name.”

She smiled assuring him it was ok, “It’s Ava.”

“Ava, that’s simple to remember. So you’re a nurse here huh?”

“Yep. Been here since I graduated school.”

“That’s cool. My daughter and I are here to see one of her friends Zoey Masterson. Can you tell me what room she’s in?”

Ava smiled again at the mention of her favorite patient, “Sure. Come on, I’ll show you.” She said as she stood and made her way around the nurse’s station.

She waited at the end of it for Justin and Olivia to catch up to her. She smiled down at his little girl, “Are you Olivia?” she asked bending down to her level.

Olivia shook her head yes and hid behind her father’s leg shyly.

Justin snickered, “Come on now, you’re never shy.” He said rubbing his hand across her head, Justin then looked at Ava, “How’d you know her name?”

She looked up at him, “Well the obvious way I read it, and also you’re all Zoey could talk about today.” She said as she looked at Olivia again and poked her gently in her side causing her to giggle.

“I’m Ava.” She said sticking her hand out for Olivia to take.

She contemplated it for a moment, and then smiled slowly coming from behind her father’s leg, “I Olivia.” She said placing her smaller hand in the bigger one that was reached out to her.

“Well it’s nice to meet you Olivia.” Ava said shaking it once. Ava then stood and led them down the hall to Zoey’s room, “She’s been expecting you guys all day. She’s bee so excited.”

“Are you her nurse?”

“Yes I am.” She said as she smiled at Justin as she came to stop at her room and knocked on it, “Zoey?” She asked as she peeked her head through the door a little bit.

Zoey smiled at her and waved, “Hi Miss Ava.” She said sweetly.

“Guess who I’ve got out here with me?”

Her eyes got big, “Who?” she asked.

Ava then opened the door a little wider and let Olivia walk through, “Livvie!” she squealed.

Ava laughed as she let Justin walk through, “Thanks.” He said smiling at her.

“No problem.” Ava said as she began to walk back to the nurse’s station.

“Miss Ava?” she head Zoey call back to her.

“Yes sweetie?” she answered turning back around to face Zoey

“When yo come back I have your picture.”

Ava smiled, “Promise?”

“Promise.” Zoey said with a small lisp on the s’s. “ Right Livvie?”

Olivia smiled and shook her head, “Promise.” She said

“Ok I’ll be back. I better have a picture.” Ava said.

Diane laughed, “Well you girls better get to working on it.”

Ava smiled and continued to walk toward the nurse’s station. She looked down at her watch and saw that it was 3 o’clock. Two more hours and she was able to go home and soak in a nice bath.

She reached over the side of the nurse’s desk to retrieve some charts of patients that she needs to make a visit too.

“So have you been on any more disastrous dates?” asked a voice from behind her causing her to jump.

“My god you scared me.” Ava said turning around with a hand over her chest.

“Sorry.” Justin said smiling.

Ava laughed, “It’s fine. And no I haven’t. When the last one didn’t show up I told her no more.” She said as she turned back to her charts.

“Me neither. I honestly couldn’t believe that my friend thought those girls could hold a conversation about anything that wasn’t concerning Prada or Gucci.”

Ava reached into her scrub pocket to retrieve a pen and laughed, “Don’t you know those are the most interesting conversations to hold?”

“Not when you’re conversations now revolve around Dora The Explorer or Finding Nemo.”

Ava laughed, “I see.” She said as she wrote something on one of the charts. She clicked the button on the pen making the ball retreat back up, and putting it back in her pocket. “I really hate to cut you off here, but I really got some patients that I got to tend too. But It was really nice seeing you again. If you’re still around once I get through maybe we could talk more?”

Justin smiled, “I’d like that.”

Ava smiled, “Alright. I’ll see you later.” She said as she moved past him and made her way down the hall.

Justin smiled to himself and walked back to Zoey’s room where she and his daughter were currently working a picture for Miss Ava.
And So It Begins : Chapter 5 by Jamie Lynn
“You know for the past couple of days all you could talk about was this chick, what was her name?” Trace asked Justin.

“Ava.” Justin replied as he stirred the Chicken Noodle Soup in the pot on his stove.

“Yeah that’s it, Ava. Anyway, what’s so special about this girl? This is the most I’ve heard you talk about anyone of the gender other than your mom or Olivia.”

“She’s a really cool girl that I could see myself being friends with. That’s all.” Justin replied as he turned the knob on the stove off, and began to pour the contents into a Dora the Explorer bowl.

“Right.” Trace replied.

Justin looked over at Trace, “Seriously, there’s nothing there other than me wanting to be friends with her. She’s not really my type anyway.” Justin said as he placed the pot in the sink.

“What’s wrong with her?”

Justin laughed, “What?”

“What’s wrong with her? Does she have a crooked tooth or something?”

Justin laughed more, “No, she doesn’t.”

“Is she not pretty?”

“She’s pretty.”

“Then why don’t you ask her out on a date or something?”

Justin laughed at his question, “No. I told you I wasn’t ready to get back into that yet. I tried it, I gave it a go, and it didn’t work. Besides with Ava I just want a friendship. I need more friends in my life other than you.” Justin said as he threw a dishrag at Trace. It landed in his face, and fell to his lap.

“So you mean there’s no attraction to this chick at all?”

Justin smiled at the fact that his questions were beginning to get more and more absurd, “No, there isn’t.”

Trace shook his head, “There’s got to be something wrong with her.”

Justin laughed, “There’s nothing wrong with her Trace.” He said placing the bowl of soup on a tray along with some crackers, a spoon, and some apple juice. “Besides I don’t have time to stand here and argue over this. I have a sick child to attend to. So forgive me if I don’t show you to the door.” Justin said as he smiled and gathered the tray in his hands.

“I’ll take that as my cue to leave. I know when I’m not wanted you don’t have to spell it out to me. Besides I got some things I have to do anyway.” Trace said as he fished his keys out of his pocket and twirled them around on his finger catching them with the palm of his hand.

“Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow?” Justin asked.

“Bank on it. Where else would I be?”

Justin laughed as he followed Trace into the foyer to go up the stairs, “Bye man.”

“Bye. Kiss the munchkin for me.” Trace said as he opened the door and walked out closing the door behind him.

Justin reached the top of the stairs, and pushed open the door of his daughter’s room when he reached the third one on the right.

“Hey baby. You hungry?” He asked as he walked further into the room.

She sat up slowly with her Teddy Bear under one arm, “I try.”

“Does your tummy hurt?” Justin asked as he sat on the edge of her bed placing the tray over her legs.

“Little.” She said grabbing the small glass of juice and took a drink.

Justin reached over and felt her cheeks and forehead and immediately regretted it. They were hot to the touch. He hated to see what kind of temperature she had.

Olivia started to cough as she sat the juice back on the tray. He didn’t like the sound of her cough…and he hated to think that maybe she was beginning to get pneumonia from Zoey.

“You eat your soup and I’m going to go get some medicine for you ok?”

Olivia shook her head, and picked up the spoon for her soup weakly. “Tay.”

Justin smiled sympathetically at his daughter and leaned over to give her a kiss on the cheek, “You’ll feel better in no time, I promise.” He said as he stood up and walked out of her room to go get the medicine. He had decided that if her fever didn’t go down in hour after he gave her the medicine, she had to go to this hospital.

But knowing that someone he knew was there, he didn’t feel nervous or anxious taking her.




“Ready to go home Ava?” asked Evelyn. She was one of Ava’s nurse friends; she was kind of like the mother hen to all of them there considering she was the oldest.

Ava sighed and smiled, “More than you know.” Ava said as she stood and placed a chart on the rack for the Doctor’s to go over.

“How’d your granddaughter’s graduation go?” Ava asked. For the past two weeks that was all that Evelyn could talk about. Which was understandable considering that she was her only grandchild.

“Oh it was wonderful. She gave such a beautiful speech. I felt so proud seeing her up on that stage with those yellow ribbons around her neck.”

Ava smiled listening to her go on about her granddaughter. She graduated at the top of her class, and was valedictorian.

“I imagine you were.” Ava said reminiscing about her own graduation. She never realized how much she actually missed high school. But she definitely didn’t want to go back.

Ava was pulled out of thoughts when she head someone approach the desk, “Ava?”

Hearing her name she looked up and was surprised yet again to see Justin. But felt bad when she saw an obviously sick Olivia in his arms. “Hello Justin. What can I do for you?”

“Olivia has had a bit of a temperature all night and I can’t seem to get it to go down. I wasn’t sure how serious this all was, and I wanted to be sure that it wasn’t something serious. She’s also had a real bad stomach ache, and she’s got a little cough that I’m worried about too.”

Ava smiled and stood from her seat. She grabbed a chart with paperwork for Justin to fill out and walked around the desk. “We’ll check her out for you. Just follow me.” Ava said as she motioned for Justin to follow her down the hall to an exam room.

She looked up at Olivia who was currently resting her head on her fathers shoulder sucking her thumb. The Olivia she saw when Zoey was here was not the little girl in her father’s arms. She instantly felt horrible for the little girl.

Ava offered her a comforting smile, “Hi Olivia. Do you remember me?” Ava asked as they stopped in front of an exam room. Ava let father and daughter go in first. Justin sat down on the exam table, and situated Olivia in his lap.

“You remember Miss Ava don’t you? She was Zoey’s nurse when we came to visit her last week.”

Olivia slowly shook her head, and pulled her thumb out of her mouth, “I color you picture.”

Ava smiled, “Yes you did. I still have it too. It’s hanging up in my locker.” She grabbed a thermometer and placed a protective piece of plastic over the part that goes in the mouth, and sat on a sliding stool in front of Justin and Olivia.

“Do you mind if I check your temperature?” Ava asked.

Olivia shook her head no and put her thumb in her mouth. Justin spoke up, “Livvie you need to let Miss Ava check your temperature. It’s going to help you get better.”

Olivia looked as if she were thinking it over, and then slowly shook her head yes.

Ava smiled, “Ok, can you open you’re mouth for me?”

Olivia did as she was told and Ava smiled, “Ok I’m gonna stick this under your tongue ok? But you’ve got to keep your mouth closed for me alright?”

Olivia shook her head as Ava stuck the thermometer under her tongue and Ava closed her mouth.

“You’re such a good girl.” Ava said softly patting her knee.

“Ok Dad I’ve got some paperwork that I need you to fill out for me. It’s just her name and all that jazz. It’s also how you want to take care of the payment. You can do that when you get a moment.” Ava said smiling at him.

“Alright,” Justin said as he looked down at Olivia, “Livvie do you think you can sit right here with Miss Ava so Daddy can fill out some stuff for you?”

Olivia shook her head yes, as Justin moved her off his lap and in her own spot on the exam table.

“Just go to the nurse’s station, and if you have any questions ask for a lady named Evelyn. She’s really nice and she can help you.” Ava said as she handed him the paperwork.

“Ok. I’m just going to be right out her ok, baby?” Justin said to Olivia.

Olivia shook her head yes acknowledging that she heard her father.

“We’ll be alright won’t we Olivia?” Ava asked turning back to Olivia who was currently smiling and shaking her head.

Justin laughed, “Ok. I’ll be right back.”

As soon as Justin walked out the door the thermometer beeped, “Ok let’s see what this thing says. Can you open your mouth for me?” Olivia opened her mouth, and Ava pulled the thermometer out, “Good girl.” Ava looked down at the digital reading and saw that her temperature was 101. It was a pretty high temp, but it was nothing to serious. It was just something that needed to be monitored constantly.

“You do have a pretty high temp there, Kiddo. So you’re tummy’s been hurting also?”

Olivia shook her head, “I shrew up shree times.” She said holding up three fingers.

Ava smiled, “And your throat’s been hurting too?”

Olivia shook her head again, “A little.”

“Ok. Well we’ll just have to get you some medicine to bring that fever down, and to help your tummy won’t we?”

Olivia smiled and shook her head yes, “I no have poomonia?”

Ava laughed at her pronunciation of pneumonia, “No sweetie you don’t.”

“Daddy said I might got it from Zoey.”

“I think you’re Dad was worrying a little too much.” Ava said as she stood and picked the little girl. Ava placed her on her hip and walked over to one of the counters. “I got some sticker’s here do you want one?”

Olivia shook her head yes, “Pease.”

Ava laughed, “Ok I’ve got Dora, Blues Clues, Sponge Bob, and Barbie. Which one do you want.”

“Dora.”

“Ok Dora it is.” Ava said as she pulled the sticker box closer to her with her free hand, and pulled the sticker off. “Where do you want it?”

“Right dare.” Olivia said as she pointed to her chest.

“Ok. There ya go.” Ava said as she placed the sticker on the little girl’s chest. “Ok now when we go out here you’ve got to show Miss Evelyn your sticker.”

“Why?” Olivia asked as they walked toward the door.

“Because if you show her she’ll give you a sucker for being a good girl.” Ava said as they walked into the hallway.

“I good girl?”

“Yes you were a very good girl.” Ava said as they walked back toward the nurse’s station.

“Dank you.” Olivia said as she wrapped her arms around Ava’s neck and gave her a hug.

Ava smiled, “You’re welcome sweetie.” Ava said as she hugged back.

When they approached the counter Ava sat her on top, “Miss Evelyn? I’ve got a girl here who needs to speak with you.”

Evelyn smiled and walked over to Ava and the little girl, “Well hello there. Who are you?” Evelyn asked.

Olivia smiled at her, “I Olivia.”

“Hello Olivia. I’m Evelyn.”

Olivia smiled again, “I a good girl.” She said pointing to the sticker that was occupying her chest.

“You were? Well I guess you want a sucker then don’t you?”

Olivia shook her head yes excitedly.

Evelyn reached under the desk and pulled out a bucket of lollipops, “Which one do you want?”

Olivia pressed her finger up to her mouth as if to think, and then pointed at a red sucker, “Dat one.”

“Alright,” said Evelyn as she reached into the box and pulled out a red sucker, “here ya go.”

Olivia smiled and gave the sucker to Ava, “Open?” She asked sweetly.

Ava took the sucker and pulled the plastic off for her, “There ya go.” She said as she handed it back to her.

Olivia put the sucker in her mouth, and her eyes brightened when she saw her father walk out of the restroom, “Daddy! Yook what I got!” She said holding the sucker out.

Justin smiled, “I see that. Were you a good girl?”

“Uh-huh. See?” she said pointing to the sticker making Ava and Evelyn laugh.

Justin laughed as well, “I see that. I guess that’s how you got a sucker, huh?”

Olivia smiled and shook her head as she placed the sucker back in her mouth.

He then turned to Ava, “How is she?”

“Well it’s not pneumonia for sure.” Ava said as she smiled.

Justin laughed, “I guess she told you that huh?”

“Yep. It’s just a little touch of the stomach flu, and some sinus drainage. Her temp was 101, but its not something super serious. You’ve just got to monitor it until you get it to go down. Have you been giving her any medicine for it?”

“I gave her some Children’s Motrin an hour before we came here.”

“Ok just keep giving her that regularly. Make sure you keep giving her fluids regularly as well. We don’t want her getting dehydrated.”

“Ok. Thanks.”

“Not a problem. You know if I didn’t know any better I’d say you were stalking me.” Ava said jokingly.

Justin laughed, “Well I do have to admit I did make something out of nothing to come up here and see you.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. You seem like a really nice person, and I need all the friends I can get.”

“Well thanks. So do you.”

“So can I officially say you’re my friend now?” Justin asked with a smile as he gathered Olivia in his arms. She was still licking away on her sucker.

Ava laughed, “Sure.”

“Don’t friends normally have each other’s numbers?”

Ava smiled and grabbed a sheet of paper and wrote down her number, “If you call my house phone I apologize in advance for anything my friend Kaci says.” She said smiling as she handed Justin the slip of paper.

“Alright I’ll call you sometime.” Justin said as he adjusted Olivia on his hip.

“Sounds great.” Ava said as she placed her hands in the pockets of her scrub top. “Remember to monitor her temp and keep giving her plenty of fluids. At least until it goes down.”

“Alright. Thanks a lot.”

“No problem. Bye Olivia.” Ava said poking her gently in the side.

“Can you tell Miss Ava bye.”

“Bye Miss Ava!” she exclaimed. It’s amazing what a sucker can cure for a child.

“Did you tell her and Miss Evelyn thank you for the sucker?” Justin asked.

“Shank you.” She said with red sticky smile.

Ava and Evelyn laughed, “You’re welcome sweetie.”

Justin smiled at them both, “Bye.” He said as he began to walk toward the elevators.

“Bye.” Ava said as she walked back behind the nurse’s desk.

She looked up from the nurse’s chart to find Evelyn looking at her, “What?” she said with a smile.

“I think he likes you.”

Ava laughed, “I don’t think so.”

“Why not? He made it a point to get your number.”

“He wants to be friends, and so do I.”

“Well, that’s nice. I remember all the hoopla surrounding him after his wife passed away. It’s good to see him starting to move on.”

Ava shook her head, “Yes, but he’s still grieving her pretty fierce. The first time we met it was at that bar inside Tony’s. He had just got off a blind date his friend Trace had set him up on, and he decided that night he just wasn’t ready. I honestly felt bad for the guy.”

“That’s something a lot of people never get over.”

“You’re right. And it takes time. Anyway, I got some patients to see about, and then I get to go home!” Ava said excitedly.

“Well at least one of us is getting out of here.” Evelyn said smiling.

“You’ll be out of here soon enough. I’ll see you tomorrow?” Ava asked.

“Bright and early.”

“Alright see you then.” Ava said as she began to see about her patients.

It always felt good to make a new friend.
Psych Books and Odd Phone Calls : Chapter 6 by Jamie Lynn
Ava smiled as she saw her friend’s reaction to meeting and befriending Justin Timberlake.

Kaci’s jaw dropped open, then she shook her head, “No you didn’t. There’s no way…no, no. You’re getting me back for all those horrible dates.”

Ava laughed, “No I’m not. I swear. You know the last date that you set me up on that didn’t even show?”

Kaci rolled her eyes and shook her head yes.

“Well that’s where we met. I was sitting at the bar waiting on Mr. No-show. And he just comes up and orders a rum and coke.”

“No shit.”

Ava laughed, “I swear. I’m not kidding you.”

“This is the real world we’re living in here Ava. What are the odds of meeting Justin Timberlake?”

“Well obviously I’m one of the odds.”

“You are so lying.”

“No I’m not!” Ava said laughing.

Kaci crossed her arms over her chest, “What did he say to you?”

“Well we talked about our blind dates. How his was a complete disaster and how mine never even showed. We also talked about how our crazy friends set us up on them.”

“See that right there tells me you’re lying. His wife just passed away why would he be out on a date?”

“His wife passed away three years ago, Kaci. And maybe he’s, oh I don’t know, trying to move on with this life?” Ava said as she opened the door to their refrigerator.

There was silence between them for a moment, “You really met him?”

“Yes. Why would I make this up?”

“Because you think it’s punishment from setting you up on all those dates from hell.”

“Kaci, honestly, If I were going to get you back I would have done it by now and with something a lot better than this.”

Kaci shook her head in agreement, “True.”

Ava smiled as she took out a bottle of water and closed the door behind her.

“So what all was said?” Kaci asked as she sat down on the stool.

“He did most of the talking. He talked about his wife mostly.” Ava said as she took a sip of her water.

“Really? What did he say?”

“Well he talked about how he thought that he’s grieved long enough, but now that he’s actually tried dating again he doesn’t think he’s ready for it again. He can’t wrap his head around the fact that he has to get back out there and find the other perfect woman that he’s supposed to spend the rest of his life with.”

“That was so sad. And he was actually drinking when he said all this? Because you know his wife was killed by a drunk driver.”

“Yes I know. No, he didn’t drink any. I think he might have taken one sip, but he just stared at the rest. When he began to talk about her and how she died he pushed it aside.”

“That kills me. How said is that?”

“Very. He seems like he could really use some friends.”

“Doesn’t he have some?”

“Well of course. He’s got Trace, but real friends that he can talk too. The only one he’s got for that sort of thing is Trace. And let’s face it pushing all your problems off on one person can get a little annoying.”

“You seem to have no problem doing it.”

“Neither do you.” Ava said in retaliation, “But I also have more than just you that I know if I needed to I could talk to them about anything.”

“And you said that you saw him again when he brought his daughter too see her friend that was sick?”

“Yep. And then again tonight when he brought Olivia in.”

“Well, sounds like the friendship gods are trying to push you two together.” Kaci said smiling.

“I guess. I’m gonna go take a shower. I need to get this hospital funk off me.” Ava said twisting the cap back on her water and left it sitting on the counter.

“Why can’t I get that kind of thing to happen to me? Seriously what are the odds of someone as normal as me and you getting to meet a celebrity?”

“He’s just as normal as you and I.”

“No one as normal as me and you has a bagillion dollars, Ava.”

“So are you saying he’s not human?”

Kaci rolled her eyes which made Ava laugh. “No smart ass I was just saying that he’s obviously not as normal as me and you. No normal person has a million photographers following them around everywhere they go.”

“But that doesn’t make him any less normal than me and you.”

Kaci sighed, “Ugh, I’m not arguing with you about this.”

“So am I free to go take a shower now?”

“Please. You reek!” Kaci said. Ava, who was already en route to her bathroom, flipped Kaci the bird.

Kaci laughed and continued to look like she was working on her homework. She was seriously tempted to just become a full time Hooter’s Girl, but she knew Ava would have her head on a silver platter. Along with her parents who were currently spending their hard earned money while she continued to figure out what it was exactly she wanted to do with her life.

She was seriously into her Psych book when she heard the phone ringing. Not turning her attention away from the book, she reached over to grab the phone.

She pressed the talk button, and placed it up to her ear resting it between her neck and shoulder. “Hello?”

“Is Ava there?”

Kaci picked her head up, and momentarily fixed her attention on the phone. Having a man call their house phone and ask for Ava of all people…well that was something new. “Um, yes she is but she’s busy at the moment. Can I take a message?”

“Uh…yeah, sure. Can you just tell her Justin called?”

Kaci blinked rapidly twice, and now focused her full attention on the conversation she was currently holding, “No shit.”

She head a chuckle, “Excuse me?”

“It’s just…I’m sorry. I just…I can’t believe I’m talking to you. I mean she only just now told me about meeting you, and everything. And I was seriously having a hard time believing her. Because what are the odds of meeting you in a city as big as LA?”

“Well, I do live here. I was bound to be seen at sometime or another.”

Between having her head stuck in her Psych book and the conversation at hand she hadn’t heard the water from Ava’s shower cut off, nor the hear moving around in other rooms, so she was surprised to see her come around the corner clad in black shorts and a gray shirt with a towel wrapped around her head.

“I’m just disappointed that it wasn’t me. This kind of shit always happens to her.”

Justin laughed, “Well I apologize.”

“No problem. Well, she’s no longer busy at the moment. Would you like to talk to her?”

“If you don’t mind.”

“Just a moment.” Kaci said as she took the phone from her ear, and covered the mouth piece.

“Holy shit!” She mouthed to Ava.

Ava looked at her weirdly, “What?”

“Justin Freakin Timberlake is currently on the phone asking to speak with you.” She whispered.

Ava rolled her eyes, and then remembered that her friend had the ability to stick her foot in her mouth, “Oh god you didn’t say anything stupid did you?” Ava said as she grabbed the phone out of her hand.

“How could accuse me of such a thing?” Kaci said but she was slowly tuned out as Ava walked back towards her room.

“Hello.” She said into the phone as she opened the door to her room.

“Hey Ava. It’s Justin.”

“Hey.” Ava said into the phone as she shut the door behind her, “I didn’t expect you to call so soon.” Ava said smiling as she sat down on her bed.

She heard Justin chuckle, “Normally I wouldn’t. But you were the first person that I though of for this situation.”

“Alright. What would that be?”

“I got home and realized I had no medicine for Olivia to help with her nausea. What would you suggest I buy? I am currently standing in the middle of Walgreen’s looking at all this medicine, and there’s a lot I have to choose from.” Justin said laughing.

Ava smiled. She could imagine that a wall full of medicine dedicated to children would look unconquerable to any man, “I think your best bet is to go with some Children’s Mylanta.”

“You can never go wrong with Mylanta.” Justin said as he grabbed a bottle.

“Nope. Is that all you wanted?” Ava asked nicely

“Actually no it wasn’t. Are you busy tomorrow?”

“No actually I’m not. I’m off.”

“Well how would you feel about doing lunch with Olivia and me? I’m thinking by lunch tomorrow she’ll be up for something other than soup.” He said admiring his little girl who was currently asleep against his other shoulder. She was getting bigger by the days and he knew soon he wouldn’t be able to carry her like this for much longer.

“Is she feeling better already?”

“I can tell she still feels horrible. But after a good night’s sleep and some medicine I think by tomorrow she’ll be up to a little outing. So what do you say? I don’t think I’ve ever known anyone to turn McDonald’s down.” Justin said as he made his way to the check out counter.

Ava smiled as she leaned against her pillows, “Sure. Just tell which McDonald’s and what time.”

“How about 12:30 at the one that’s a block away from the Hospital?”

“Works for me.”

“Great. It’ll give us a chance to get to know each other better.”

“I can’t wait.”

Justin smiled and placed the bottle of Mylanta on the belt, “Alright well I need to pay this medicine and get my kid home to her bed. So I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yep.”

“Alright. See you tomorrow friend.” Justin said

Ava laughed at his use of the word friend, “Bye.” Ava said as she pressed the end button the phone.

“So?” Kaci said as she poked her head in the door of Ava’s room.

“Were you listening out there this whole time?”

“You bet. So where are you going tomorrow with Mr. Sexy-Back himself?”

“That’s business isn’t it?”

Kaci’s mouth dropped, “You can’t do that to me! I can never be as lucky as you so I have to live vicariously through you.” She said as she came further into her room and sat on her bed.

“We’re going to McDonalds at 12:30 tomorrow. Are you happy?”

“I’d be even happier if you and I could change bodies for the day.”

Ava laughed, “Whatever.”

“You say whatever like you see celebrities everyday.”

Ava rolled her eyes again and stood up to take the towel from her head.

“So is this like a date?” Kaci asked.

“No!” Ava said immediately, “No date.”

“Why not?”

“Because I don’t like him like that.”

Kaci’s mouth dropped, “Are you kidding me? Are we talking about the same Justin Timberlake?”

“Yes.”

“Mr. I’ll-Let-You-Whip-Me-If-I-Mis-Behave Justin Timberlake?”

Ava laughed even harder, “Yes.”

“Are you blind or something? How the hell could you NOT like that?”

“No, he’s hot. I agree with you there. But I don’t like him in the date him kind of way. Besides we’re only friends. I don’t think he’s ready for something more with a girl.”

“Well when he’s ready for something more I expect you’ll jump on that bandwagon right?”

Ava laughed, “Um, if I feel something yes.”

“Girl I feel it every time I hear the man sing.”

Ava laughed again, “Will you go! You have a Psych book to read, and I have sleep to catch up on.”

Kaci rolled her eyes, “Thanks for the reminder.”

“That’s what I’m here for.”

“Why is that I’m the one stuck with her nose In the books while you get to sex it up with Justin Timberlake?”

“GO!” Ava yelled with a laugh as she pointed toward her door.

“Alright, alright.” Kaci said as she walked toward Ava’s door.

“I still think it’s not fair. But I’ll see you in the morning.”

“Alright, good night.” Ava said blowing a kiss her way.

“Night.” Kaci said as she closed the door behind her.

Ava turned back her bed covers and crawled under them. She reached over to her nightstand and turned off her lamp.

She closed her eyes and with a smile on her face anticipated what awaited her when she woke up the next morning.
How? : Chapter 7 by Jamie Lynn
Author's Notes:
Alright so after major headaches, and the showing back up of my muse, and a lot of help from my Silent Partner in Crime whom I give much credit too...I finally got past this writers block, slump thing that I'd been having going on. So this is kind of deep, and a little close to the heart. Tell me what you think.
“Miss Ava!” Olivia squealed as she ran over to Ava who was walking into the play area of McDonalds.

Ava smiled and bent to the little girl’s level before she ran into her arms, “Hey there!” Ava said as she embraced her small body.

“I better now.”

“You are?”

Olivia shook her head yes, “Uh huh.”

“Daddy gave me special mebacine. My tummy no hurt no more.”

“That’s so good!” Ava said pushing some of Olivia’s hair out of her face.

“Wanna play in the balls wif me?”

Ava smiled, “I wish I could but I’m too big.”

“Will you wash me play then?”

“Of course!” Ava said as she stood up and adjusted her purse, “I’ll be sitting over there with your dad, ok?”

Olivia gave her a big smile before running toward the play area, “Otay!”

Ava looked on as Olivia crawled through the little tube to get to the pool of balls, and laughed as she saw her belly flop into them. She shook her head and walked over to the table where Justin was sitting. She smiled before greeting him.

“You’ve got quite the cute kid there.” Ava said pulling out a chair beside him.

He smiled, “I like to think she gets it from me, but I don’t know.” He said putting a fry in his mouth, “I hope you don’t mind but I took the liberty of getting you something. I don’t normally order someone else’s food but I didn’t want you to pay and you weren’t here.” Justin said handing her the meal he purchased for her and an empty cup, “Now the drink I didn’t know. Some girls are all anti pop and only drink water, and some just don’t care. I didn’t know which one you were so I opted to let you choose that.”

Ava laughed, “Well for future reference I’m a don’t care kind of girl. Whatever’s available I’ll drink.”

“Well tell me what you want and I’ll go get it for you.” Justin said putting his hand out for the cup to be returned.

“No it’s ok. I can get it.”

“No, no, I invited you let me do this.”

Ava was about to protest when Olivia called out, “Miss Ava you no watch me!”

Justin then placed a smug smile on his face, “Looks like I win, now, what’s your poison?”

Ava smiled and shook her head, “Really you don’t have to do this.”

“Olivia wants you to watch her so you have no choice.”

“Ugh fine, Dr. Pepper.” Ava said handing him back the cup.

“Miss Ava!” Olivia called out again.

Ava then turned her attention to the little girl demanding her attention, “I’m sorry sweetie. What is it?”

“Wash dis!” she said as stood up on the side of the rail and fell backward into the balls.

Ava shouted her praises, “Awesome. Show me how you did that.” Ava said humoring Olivia.

“I dot on da rail like dis.” She said climbing onto the rail, “Den I hold on to da strings.” She said placing her fingers through the string fence, “And den I let go!” she called as she fell back into the balls laughing.

Ava laughed as well. The little girl was just too cute for words. She looked behind her when she sensed someone coming up behind her and found Justin approaching with her drink.

“Here ya go.” Justin said as he sat the cup down on the table and slid into the booth seat across from her.

“Thanks.” Ava said as she looked over to Olivia who was currently giving her attention to a boy that was in the balls with her. “How do you keep up with her? She seems like a big ball of energy?” Ava said as she turned back to Justin. She opened the wrapper of her hamburger and took a bite.

Justin leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms, “That she is. She keeps me young that’s for sure. I’ve had experience with my brothers when they little so I kind of knew what to expect. But John and Stephen have nothing on her.” He said laughing as she shook his head.

Ava smiled and covered her mouth with her hand as she swallowed, “You’ve done an amazing job so far by the way. She’s the most well behaved, well mannered child I have ever seen.”

Justin looked fondly over at his daughter who was currently dumping a handful of balls over the little boy’s head, “Thank you.” He said as he turned back to Ava.

“So tell me about you.” He said as he grabbed his cup and took a drink, “I’m sure you know everything there is to know about me.”

Ava smiled and stuck a French fry in her mouth, “Well what do you want to know?”

“Where are you from? Are you from LA?”

“No. Not originally. I’m an Army Brat. I’ve moved all over this state and country. My dad was a retired Marine.”

“Did he pass away?”

Ava slowly shook her head, “Yeah, two years ago.”

“I’m sorry.”

Ava smiled, “No worries. It’s just me and my mom now. She lives in San Diego. She’s a Doctor there.”

“So the medical thing runs in your family.”

Ava smiled, “I guess you could say that.”

“Any brothers and sisters?”

“I have two older brothers.”

“How old are they?”

“30 and 33. I’m the baby. Their names are Cooper and Ryan. Coop is my oldest brother, and they’re both Marines as well.”

“Military have a long line in your family?”

“My dad traced it all the way back to the American Revolution. An immediate family member has participated in each war.”

Justin shook his head in amazement, “Wow.”

“That’s what I said.” She said as she took another bite of her hamburger.

Justin and Ava continued to get to know each other better and better by the minute. Justin realized how easy it was to talk with her and he was immediately glad that he took the initiative to become friends with her. It also helped a lot to know that Olivia liked her. He knew that Olivia needed some sort of female figure in her life. Sure Trace was bitchy enough to pass off as a woman, but he didn’t want to confuse his precious angel so early in her age. He also knew there were things that he couldn’t teach her that only a woman could. Like how to weasel money out of his pocket. Of course all Olivia had to do was look at him and bat her eyes and anything she wanted was hers.

Around six Justin slowly walked into his house with a sleeping Olivia in his arms. He kicked his shoes off at the door, and walked into his living room passing a picture of his wife on the mantle, “Hey baby.” He said to the picture as he slowly laid his daughter on the couch.

It pained him so much to know what all Melissa was missing out on. Olivia was everything that Melissa ever wanted.

He pushed some stray hair out of Olivia’s face, and kissed her softly on the cheek. He then walked back over to the mantle, “We’ve got a pretty good little girl, Mel. You’d be so proud. She’s getting so big. I don’t think I’m going to be able hold her anymore before long.” Justin said as he rubbed the frame of the picture with his thumb, and sighed.

“I miss you so much babe. It’s hard knowing that I’ve got fifteen more years to go raising this beautiful girl without you. She’s so lucky to not have to know this pain, but she knows that something’s missing.” He said as a stray tear rolled down his cheek.

He no longer felt that he didn’t need to hide his urges to cry. Sometimes it just felt better to let it happen than to fight it off. And over the past three years he’d done enough of it.

“God it hurts so much.” He said biting his lip as his body shook, “I wish I would have stopped you that night. I wish I could have gone in your place. God, if only things were different.” He said as he traced a finger along her cheek bone. “I’ve tried to hold on to everything I can of you. But it’s the little things, the things that I don’t want to forget, that are slowly fading. Your laugh, your voice, the way you feel. But your smell, god, it’s all over the place. And sometimes I find myself smiling your scent, and I start to think that when I turn the corner you’re going to be there. But I do, and you’re not. How do I this Mel?” He said

“Everyone says it’ll get easier. That maybe I’ll find someone different. But I don’t want it too. I don’t want to find anyone else. I know I need too, if not for me, at least for Olivia’s. How can I even attempt to give someone else my heart when sometimes I’m not sure if one is even there? You’ve got to help me baby. I know I’ve got to be the best father I can for Olivia, but sometimes it just to hard to by myself.”

He sighed, and ran his other hand through his hair, “I’ll figure it out. I always do.” He picked the frame up off it’s place on the mantle, and held it close to him.

For just one moment it felt as though she was there. He could feel her prescence so strong that he even turned around. He could feel his chest drop when he turned around to nothing but a cream colored wall. The tears came harder and faster that time and he felt as though he wanted to scream. It felt like that was the only way he could get all the frustration out, but he knew that he couldn’t. He had a sleeping daughter on the couch.

Blinded by the tears he pulled the picture up to his face, and softly placed a kiss on it, “I love you, always.”

Then he placed the picture up back in it’s spot on the mantle, and wiped his eyes. He looked over at Olivia and knew that it was only a matter of time before she woke up, and he knew he had to pull himself together. He walked up the stairs to his room and looked at himself in the mirror. The eyes looking back at him were not the eyes that everyone knew as Justin’s. These eyes were filled with pain, grief, and a personal struggle. Sometimes he felt so much older than what he really way. Shaking his head he turned on the water and splashed some over his face a few times before patting his face down with a towel he had hanging beside the counter.

He brought his hand back down and felt himself knock something off. It was a black tube of something and he bent down to get it. He bit his lip for some sort of hidden strength when he realized it was some of Melissa’s make up. Her side of the counter had gone untouched since the last time she used it. Her make up was still where she left it, along with pretty much everything else. Her side of the closet still had every piece of clothing hanging there. The last nightgown she wore was still hanging on the back of the closet door. The towel that she last used was still laying across the bathtub along with her shampoo and conditioner. Everything that was hers had gone untouched. Of course he allowed family and friends to take a momento to remember her by, but he absolutely refused anyone to help clear her things out.

To this day he couldn’t bring himself to do it.

He stood back up and placed the tube back on the counter, “Daddy?”

Justin’s head turned in the direction that the voice was coming from, “Hey sleepyhead.”

“Miss you.”

“You missed me? I’ve only been up here for a few minutes. You were sound asleep when we got home.”

“Me still miss you.” She said walking further into the bathroom extending her arms out insinuating she wanted to be picked up.

Justin smiled and picked her up, “Well I missed you too.” He said placing a kiss on her cheek, “I love you so much. You know that?”

“Yep. I lub you too.”

“Good.”

She leaned back a little bit and patted her tummy, “I hungry.”

Justin chuckled and rolled his eyes, “You’re always hungry. What do you want?” He asked as he walked out of his bathroom.

“Donalds!”

“We just had McDonalds. How about a bowl of cereal?” He asked as he walked through his room, and out the door to the stairs.

“Tay.”

“Alright a bowl of cereal it is.” He said as they continued their adventure to the kitchen.
Chapter 8 by Jamie Lynn
Author's Notes:
Alright so after deciding that I left on a horrible ending last update...I decided to add on more to the end of this chapter. Now it's not a whole lot, but I think maybe by Tuesday, if not sooner, that I'll have a whole NEW one. But I really really like this ending better. You guys tell me what you think. And thanks so much for all the reviews! You guys truly are the best.

And a HUGE shout out to my Silent Partner in Writing Crime. You rock girl! And I definitely could'nt have done the majority of this story without you being my voice of reason! You're awesome!
Ava sighed as she sprawled out on her couch for an evening with the apartment to herself, the lights out, junk food, and Grey’s Anatomy. For the past few days she had been receiving phone calls from Justin frequently. And had met up with him, Olivia and even Trace in the small amount of time. She was happy to say that she could now call Trace a friend. The phone calls from Justin were often at night since she had to work and he only had a lot of free time when Olivia was sleeping. She would have never imagined that she would be on the phone until two in the morning with Justin Timberlake. She was shocked at how easy he was to talk too.

Kaci was out for the evening. She had a study date after she got out of her night classes and was going to stay over at the friend’s house. She was loving the privacy but Grey’s just wasn’t Grey’s without Kaci. She had no one to talk to about how amazing McDreamy was. Basking in the amazingness that is Dr. McDreamy just wasn’t something that you wanted to do alone.

But it was better to do it alone than not at all. Because honestly, she needed a little McDreamy loving right now, and it felt a little good that she didn’t have to share him tonight. She never understood why Kaci had chosen to go down the shared path of McDreamy when there was the un-walked road of McSteamy that honestly wasn’t so bad. But Ava would never walk that road and let Kaci win McDreamy. No, no way. It just wasn’t going to happen.

Luckily she was on commercial break when the phone rang. Yes, she had seen the episode when it aired earlier in the season but so what? It was still Thursday and it was still Grey’s Anatomy night. Re-runs or New Episodes Thursday night at eight o’clock the TV was on ABC.

“This better be good.”

She heard the chuckle of the male species come over the line, and she instantly knew who it was. “We’ve discussed what I do on Thursday nights correct?”

“Yes.” He said laughing.

“And I have told you what time Grey’s comes on AND goes off right?”

“Yes.”

“Then why am I talking to you right now?”

“Well I saw that it was on commercial break and I figured you might want a cure for boringness that is commercials.”

“Eh, I just change the channel.” She said doing so with the remote.

He laughed, “Well forgive me for the call then.”

She continued to flip through the channels to find something to occupy her eyes until commercial break was over, “Eh, since you’re new to the World that is Ava McKinley I’ll let it slide. So what’s up?” She said putting it back on ABC when she found nothing else worthy of watching.

“Not much. Just put the munchkin down for the night.”

Ava smiled at the mention of Olivia, “Did she play hard today?”

The night before Justin told her of how Trace was going to take her to the Zoo and the park today so Justin could have some time to himself, “Yeah she did. She came home so excited about seeing the monkeys.”

“And what did you do with all this free time you had?” Ava asked as she lowered the volume on her TV and sank lower into her couch.

Over the past few days that they had been hanging out and talking on the phone she had grown so attached to his daughter. Justin said that Olivia had been asking about her. She had been thinking once she and Justin got to know each other better she would do a girl thing with Olivia, Kaci, and herself.

“Not much. I just got caught up on what’s on TV, and talked to my mother.”

“Sounds like you had fun.”

“Eh, I was bored.”

“I’m sure your mother would be pleased knowing that you were bored talking to her.”

“I wasn’t but she sure gave me something to think about.”

“What’s that?”

“She thinks that I should put Olivia in a daycare. She said it would be good for her so she will no how to interact with other kids her age, and make it easier for her when it comes time for her to go to school.”

“She does have a point.”

“Yeah but I don’t want to think about her growing up. If no one would have reminded me I would have never known she was almost to the age for her going to school.”

Ava laughed, “So what are you going to do?”

“Well a part of me thinks that I should and that it would be good for her, but the other part of me doesn’t want to let her go.”

“It’s not like she’s getting married yet.”

“Ok I don’t even want to think of that.”

Ava laughed more, “It’ll be good for her. She needs to befriend people that aren’t your friends.”

“I know. I’ll look into it more.” Justin said as they fell into a comfortable silence over the phone. She was about to say something more when he spoke up again, “What are you doing tomorrow?”

“Well I had plans to spend the day with Kaci. We were gonna go shopping and do the whole girl thing tomorrow.”

“I would know nothing about that.” Justin said.

“Oh come on you know you spend more money in a clothing store than a woman does.”

“True I have been known to do that. Trace had offered to take Olivia and me out to lunch and he had invited you to come along as well. But since you have plans I think we’ll survive without you.”

Ava smiled, “Well tell Trace I am sorry. If plans change I’ll call does that sound better?”

“That’s fine.” Justin said with a smile as he slid further down into his bed. He placed an arm behind his head and continued to talk, “You know my whole point of befriending you was so I could get away from the short shit every once in a while. But I guess I should have known that he would want to have you as his friend too.”

Ava threw her head back and laughed at his comment, “Well I’m glad that I am accepted into your world.”

Justin laughed at that comment, “Are you sure you’re not questioning your friendship with me? My world can be a little weird.” He said with a smile.

“Are you kidding? My best friend is a Hooter’s girl who has no clue what she wants to do with her life. She’s been in college for a while now. She’s like a female Van Wilder.” Ava said as she turned her head back to her television that was now back on Grey’s Anatomy.

“I see that the show finally came back on. I’ll let you go. I was just calling to invite you out with us tomorrow.”

Ava smiled, “Thank you for the invite. I’ll definitely call you if plans change.”

“Alright that sounds good. Enjoy the rest of the show.”

“I will.”

“Good night.” Justin said into the phone.

“Night.” Ava said as she heard Justin hang up.

And in an instant she was sucked back into the world that is McDreamy.

__________________________________________________________


At ten thirty the next morning Ava was sitting anxiously on her couch for Kaci to show back up. It was her birthday and they had been planning this shopping spree for a while.

Ava glanced at her watch once more, and decided that she probably overslept. Pushing some hair behind her ear she watched a little more TV and waited for any sign of Kaci.

Five minutes later the phone rang, “Hello?” Ava said as she placed the phone to her ear.

“Hey I got some bad news.” Kaci said disappointment dripping from her voice.

“What?” Ava said dreading to hear what was to come out.

“So you know that test that I said I was going to be studying for after class last night?”

“Yeah.”

“Well while I was in class last night I found out it’s a lot bigger than I thought, and I have got some major studying to finish. I’ve got to make a B or higher in order to pass this class.”

Her chest sank with disappointment. But she wasn’t mad because she could actually see some improvement in her as far as school went, and she was so happy she was finally taking it seriously, though Kaci would never admit it out loud, “That sucks.”

“I know it’s your birthday babe and I swear I’ll make it up to you.”

“No, no, it’s ok. I’ll find something else to do.”

“I know we had been so excited about this for so long, and I’m disappointed myself. I was so looking forward to that pedicure.”

Ava laughed a small laugh, “Me too.”

“I promise to get you an awesome present to make up for this.”

“Just pass the class. That’ll be enough for me.” Ava said with a smile.

“I’ll try.”

“Alright well good luck.”

“Thanks babe. And I’m really sorry.”

“It’s fine. Just do well on your test.”

“I will. I better get off here and finish. I had to call in sick to work today to finish this stuff. I love ya!”

“Love you too. Call me and tell me how it went.”

“I will. Bye girl.”

Ava smiled, “Bye.”

Ava sighed and put the phone back on the charger. She was really looking forward to this.

She wasn’t at Kaci for bailing on their plans, because honestly she wanted Kaci to take college more seriously. And Ava honestly felt like she was really beginning to. Otherwise she would have said screw the test let’s go like she had so many other times.

She was beginning to try to think of other things to do when she remembered Justin’s offer last night. She grabbed the phone and began to dial his number.

After the third ring someone picked up, “Hello?”

Ava’s face fell into a confused state, “Justin?”

“Uh no this is Trace. Who’s this?”

“Oh hey it’s Ava.”

“Oh I didn’t realize it was you. What’s up girl?”

“Nothing I was just trying to get a hold of the Pop Star. Is he around?”

“He’s upstairs getting Livvie dressed. He told me you weren’t coming today. What’s up with that?”

“Well I had previous plans. But she bailed on me.”

“Oh that sucks. So does this mean you get to grace us with your lovely presence?”

Ava laughed and smiled, “Well maybe if the offer still stands.”
“Of course it does I’m the one who invited you.”

“Then it’s a yes.”

“Awesome. Well it looks as though the Diva himself just walked in. I’ll hand him over to you. I’m glad you’re coming today.”

“Thanks me too.”

Ava could hear some muffled conversation going in the background as Trace handed the phone over to Justin.

“Ava?”

“Yeah, it’s me.”

“I thought you weren’t coming today.”

“Well I wasn’t but Kaci had something unexpected come up and she couldn’t make it today. So I decided to take you up on your offer.”

“I’m sorry. You sounded like you were really looking forward to it last night. Was today something special?”

Ava sighed. She was really hoping she wouldn’t have to reveal it was her birthday. She had talked to Justin long enough to know that if he knew such information he would make it a big deal.

“Yeah it was.”

“What was it?”

She rolled her eyes, “My birthday.”

“Your what? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Because I didn’t want to make it a big deal.”

“It’s your birthday it’s supposed to be a big deal.”

“Not to me I’m just a year older and closer to thirty.”

“What was more important that she bailed on you on your birthday?”

“You know how I told you last night she’s like the female version of Van Wilder?”

“Yeah.”

“Well she’s got this huge psych test that she’s got to study for. And come to find out it was bigger than what she thought it was and needs to score a B or higher on this test in order to pass the class.”

Justin immediately sucked in breath, “Ouch. I guess that is a good reason to bail on someone.”

“Yeah, and I can’t really be mad at her because I’ve been wanting her to take this more seriously for a while now. And if it costs me a birthday celebration so be it.”

“Well get ready for a fun filled day with the three of us. Just give me directions to your apartment and we’ll swing by and grab you.”

Five minutes later Ava’s frown had slowly turned into a smile. She was again looking forward to the day that she had ahead of her.

__________________________________________________________


“So was your dad like really strict?” Trace asked.

Ava laughed, “Well that depends on how you look at it. My brothers are much older than me and I was the only girl. So from perspective yes he was. But I’m sure from a Dad’s he was just protecting me.”

Justin laughed looking over at his own little girl that was sitting contently in the Birthday Girl’s lap.

Trace laughed too, “So you’re brothers got away with a lot more than you did.”

“Yes. My brother’s could call in and say they were going to be an hour late for curfew and it would be no problem, but let me go do it and it was ‘You better be here at 11:30 young lady or you’re grounded.’” She said trying her best to imitate her father while looking down at Olivia who only laughed in response.

“I took you for a Daddy’s girl.” Trace said shoving a fry in his mouth.

They were finally eating dinner and were about to bring their day to an end. They spent their day shopping at the mall, going to the Zoo, and now dinner. She didn’t think that going to the Zoo at 26 would still be fun but it was.

“Oh I was. I was completely. And although he was strict I still had him wrapped around my finger. Like this one here.” Ava said handing Olivia her cup she was drinking out of.

“She has everyone she meets wrapped around her finger. The kid’s not even mine and she gets what ever she wants. But hey at least I can spoil her and give her back.”

Ava laughed, “That’s my philosophy too.”

Justin crossed his arms and leaned back in the booth, “Are your brother’s married?”

“They’re both divorced, and have two children each. Cooper and Ryan live together in San Diego.”

“I guess it is pretty hard to be married to a soldier.” Justin said.

Ava shrugged and pulled Olivia a little closer to her chest, “I guess it would be. It all depends on how willing you are to make it work.”

Justin could detect a hint of a story in those words, but he decided to just leave it be for the time being. He’d only known her for at least a week. It was a little too soon to be airing dirty laundry. Although he’d aired his the first moment he met her. But it was nothing that she hadn’t read for herself.

“Do you have any nieces or nephews?” Justin asked as he dipped a fry in ketchup and shoved it in his mouth.

“I’ve got three nephews and one niece.”

“How old are they?” Trace asked as he wiped his hands on his napkin.

“Seth and Jesse are Ryan’s boys. Seth is 5 and Jesse is 2. Then Cooper has Keegan and Shelby. Shelby will be a year in September and Keegan just turned 4.”

“Sounds like you really miss them.” Trace said smiling at her.

“I do.” Ava said but was distracted by Olivia pulling on her sleeve to get her attention, “Yes sweetie?”

“I go potty.” She said looking up at Ava.

Justin immediately intercepted, “Don’t worry Mrs. Ava sweetie, I’ll take you.” He said standing up.

“No Mrs. Ava take me.”

“Why don’t you let me take you so Mrs. Ava can finish eating?”

“I no ask you, Daddy. I ask Mrs. Ava.” She said with the stubbornness that her father gave her coming out.

Justin feigned a little shock, and then looked at Ava, “Do you mind?”

“Not at all.” Ava said as she slid Olivia out of her lap and onto the ground. She slid herself out and reached hand out for Olivia to grab. Olivia grabbed on to her hand and they began to walk toward the bathrooms.

Justin sat back down in the booth, and looked over at Trace.

Trace grabbed his Tea glass and took a big swig, “What’s your deal?”

“What do you mean?”

“You act like it’s a total shock that Olivia would want to go the bathroom with a girl.”

“But she doesn’t even do that when my mom’s around.” Justin said.

“Well maybe she’s just taken on an extra liking with Ava. It was bound to happen sometime. You didn’t think you could go her whole life without her needing or wanting that Womanly figure in her life did you?”

Justin shrugged, “I never really thought about it.”

“Even if you and Ava stay friends Olivia could really use her. She needs another woman besides your mom in her life.”

“She’s enough for me.” Justin said referring to his mother.

“She’s your mother remember? Olivia doesn’t really know what that is.”

“I know. You’re right.” Justin said as he continued to stare off into space as Olivia and Ava walked up.

“Daddy yook what Mrs. Ava buyed me!” Olivia squealed running to her father and saw her holding a big Stuffed animal bear in her arms. It had to have come from the machine at the front of the diner. He could never accomplish those damn things. He always had a hold of it with the claw and then as soon as he moved it the thing would slip out. He wasted three dollars on a stupid bear for Olivia himself one day before he decided to give up.

“That’s so cool. Can I hold him?”

She smiled a toothy smiled as she shook her head with excitement as she passed the bear over to her father and went back over to Ava to climb in her lap.

They all continued to talk and finish up their dinner. By the time 5:00 rolled around they decided to call it a day and dropped Ava off at her apartment.

The whole ride home Olivia talked about her day and the funny thing was it wasn’t about how much fun she had at the Zoo. But about how much fun she had with Mrs. Ava.

The topic of her conversation caused a few looks to be exchanged between Trace and Justin. But it only made Justin realize the inevitable no matter how bad he didn’t want to face it.

His baby was growing up and sooner than he expected she’d need a woman and not him anymore. And that only made his heart grow heavier and the lump in his throat bigger.
Is It Lack of Caffeine or Sleep? : Chapter 9 by Jamie Lynn
Author's Notes:
And as promised...here it is! Hope you all enjoy! Let me know what you think!
Ava walked into the peacefulness that is her apartment and was shocked to see Kaci sitting on the couch at 8:30 on a school night.

“What are you doing home?” She asked as she slipped off her sneakers and placed her purse on the table.

“My class was cancelled.” Kaci said as she continued to read her book.

“I thought you had Finals today?” She said as she walked into their living room and sat on the couch.

“I did. Well all except that one class. My professor got sick or something.” She said as she closed her book and stretched.

“Well that stinks.” Ava said as she looked out the window that was behind their couch that showed the Los Angeles sky line. It was December 15th. Almost Christmas time and it was times like these that she really wished it really felt like Christmas. But that was virtually impossible in Southern California.

“How was work?” Kaci asked as she leaned over and sat her book on the coffee table.

“It was fine. Busy as usual, but it wasn’t horrible.”

“Too tired to order take out and watch a movie?” Kaci asked with hopefulness in her voice.

“Am I ever too tired for that?”

“So it’s a done deal. You go shower, and I’ll go get the food and the movie.”

“Great.” Ava said as she watched Kaci get up to grab her keys and slip on her shoes.

“So what are we in the mood for?”

“I’m thinking American and Romantic Comedy.”

“Glad we’re on the same page because my budget can only afford Sonic anyway.” She said as Ava laughed and stood up herself.

“Alright I’ll call when I’m on my way back.” Kaci said as she reached for the door and opened it.

“Alright, be careful. Don’t give it up to no one who looks like they have a disease.”

“You’re so funny.” Kaci said as she closed the door behind her.

Ava laughed herself and walked back to her bathroom.

After her relaxing hot shower she felt ten times better. She slipped into her gray sweatpants and her oversized red USMC hoodie that she stole from her brother.

She was in the process of tying her wet hair into a messy bun when she heard the sound of her cell phone ringing. She had separate tones for everyone who called her and she knew exactly who it was that was calling her now. It was kind of obvious when it was one of his own songs.

She opened her phone and placed it her ear as she fell back into the couch, “Hello?”

“Hey. I’m glad I caught you.”

“What’s up?” She asked as she pulled her feet up onto the couch and slipped them under the cushion next to her.

“I have a huge favor to ask you.”

“I should have known. You only call when you want something.” Ava said as she laughed.

Their friendship had been progressing nicely over the past three months. They had become very good friends.

“That is so not true and you know it.” Justin said laughing himself.

“What’s this huge favor that you’re going to owe me for for the rest of your life?”

“Alright so there’s this thing that came up in New York with mine and Trace’s clothing line. And normally Trace handles all of that but there’s some papers that need my signature as well as his. I also have some other things that I need to take care of while I’m up there…”

“Cut to chase Timberlake.” Ava said smiling.

“Can you watch Olivia for a couple days for me?” He said quickly, “I mean if you can’t I understand and I’ll get my mom to fly out or something. But I just figured I’d ask you since you’re here and all.”

Ava was kind of shocked, but happy none the less that he trusted her enough with something so important, “Really?”

“Well, yeah.”

“You trust me?”

Justin laughed at her silliness, “Uh, yeah. You’re one of my best friends, and it’s not like you’re completely dumb when it comes to kids. You work with them everyday and you have four nieces and nephews of your own. Why wouldn’t I trust you? Do you have some hidden record I should know about?” Justin asked sarcastically.

Ava rolled her eyes, “No.”

“Alright then I have nothing to worry about, and besides Livvie really likes you.”

“Of course I’d love too. You know I love that kid to death.”

“Alright so it’s a done deal?”

“Yeah. When are you leaving?”

Justin cleared his throat, “Tomorrow.”

Ava rolled her eyes. That was typical of Justin. “I should have known. You know you’re lucky I didn’t have any plans myself, Timbs.”

“Yeah, yeah I know. Ok so today is Friday. So that means I’ll probably be back on Sunday. Monday at the latest if things don’t go as planned.”

It was at this point she was happy that she had weekends off. “Alright, and if all else fails Kaci can watch her Monday when I go to work.”

“Great.” Justin said.

Justin, Trace, Ava, Kaci, and Olivia had all frequently hung out of the past three months. And Olivia had also grown to like Kaci as well.

“What time does your flight leave?”

“Uh, 6:30.”

“6:30 at night?”

“Morning.”

“You know what Timbs you’re lucky we’re friends. Because I wouldn’t do this for just anyone. Especially on my day off.”

“I know, I know. And I owe you huge when I get back.”

“I think this calls for a weeks worth of Starbucks.”

“You got it.”

Ava looked up when she saw Kaci coming through the door with their food and movie, “We’re gonna have company for the next couple of days.”

“Really? Your hot single brothers wouldn’t happen to be gracing us with their presence would they?” Kaci said as she came into the living room and placed the bags and their drinks on the coffee table.

“Nope we get to baby sit Olivia for a couple days while Justin takes care of some stuff in New York.”

“Awesome I love that kid.” Kaci said, “But I’m not so sure how I feel about Curly Q. Is payment involved?”

Ava laughed as Justin sighed into her ear, “Now why does she have to go dis on my hair like that?”

“Tell him to consider it pay back for the other night when he made that comment about me not having much too be a Hooter’s Girl.” Kaci said.

“That was a joke. Trace seemed to like what she had.” Justin said laughing.

“Trace likes anything that walks.” Ava said rolling her eyes.

“Good point. Well listen I’ll let you get back to whatever it is you were doing. I’ll drop Livvie off at your place around 5:30-ish.”

Ava groaned, “I like the ish.”

“Believe me I do too.”

“Alright I’ll see you in the morning bright eyed and bushy tailed.”

Justin laughed, “Bye.”

“Bye.” Ava said as she closed her phone shut and grabbed her bag of food.

“What time is he dropping the Munchkin off in the morning?”

Ava groaned again as she shoved a fry in her mouth, “5:30.”

Kaci shocked on her drink, “5:30? Is he crazy?”

“His flight leaves at 6:30 and you know it’s hell to get through LAX no matter what time of day you go.”

Kaci shook her head, “True. Well better me than you.” She said as she grabbed their DVD and stood up to walk to their entertainment center.

“What movie did you get?” Ava asked pulling her burger out of the wrapper.

“Well I got two. I got Cruel Intentions simply because I love that movie and Ryan Phillippe is so sexy and I haven’t seen it in forever. And I got My Best Friend’s Wedding as our Romantic Comedy.” She said as she slipped Cruel Intentions into their DVD player and grabbed the remote and sat back down in her spot on the couch. “Tell me again why we don’t have these on DVD for our own collection?”

“Because we can never find them?”

“Probably right.” Kaci said as she skipped through the previews and to the movie.

Ava smiled. She loved nights like these. She loved nothing more than eating food that was bad for you, watching Chick movies, and enjoying it all with her best friend.




Ava groggily opened her eyes and groaned as she heard her cell phone chirping. She lifted her head slightly, and grabbed it. She opened it up and placed it to her ear, “’Lo?”

She heard the chuckle of a guy on the other end, “You sound cute when you’ve just woken up.” She heard him whisper.

“Timberlake, what are you doing calling me this...” She said as she looked at the clock and saw that it was 5:35. “Aw man, I’m sorry. How long have you been standing out there?” She asked as she threw the covers off her and placed her feet on the floor.

She pushed stray hair out of her face and stretched, “Not long. When you didn’t open the first 5 times I knocked I figured you didn’t hear me.” Justin said.

“Ok well I’m on my way to the door. I’ll see you in a minute.” She said as she closed the phone and placed it back on her nightstand. She quietly opened her bedroom door and walked as quietly down the hall way as she could to not wake up Kaci.

She was still wearing her red USMC hoodie but before she went to bed she opted for a short black pair of cotton shorts.

She reached the door and quietly unlocked it. She opened it and saw Justin standing there with a still sleeping Olivia in his arms and her bag on one shoulder. She was wearing a little pink flannel night gown, and her normally beautiful curly blonde hair was all a mess.

Ava had to smile at how adorable she looked, “Come on in. I’ll take her bag and you can lay her in my bed.” She said as she moved out of the way to let Justin come in further.

“Thank you again for doing this.” Justin said as he handed her Olivia’s bag.

Ava shook her head, “Not a problem.” She said as she led Justin down the hall to her room.

When they reached her room she let Justin enter first, “Which side do you want her on?”

“The left side is fine.” Ava said as Justin eased her down on the bed and pulled the cover’s around her.

She saw Olivia slowly open her eyes, “Daddy?”

“It’s me baby. You’re at Mrs. Ava’s. Remember Daddy telling you he had to go away for a few days with Uncle Trace?” Justin asked softly.

Olivia shook her head slowly, “We here already?”

Justin laughed, “Yeah sweetie we are. You fell back asleep in the car. But listen Daddy’s got to go alright? Can I get a hug and a kiss?”

Olivia shook her head yes and leaned up to wrap one arm around her father’s neck, and laid a big kiss on his lips, “Bye daddy. Love you.”

Justin smiled and kissed her on her forhead, “Love you too. You be a good girl for Mrs. Ava and Kaci ok?”

“Tay.” She said with her little eyes fighting to stay open.

Justin kissed her one more time and then stood back up, “Well I guess I’m gonna go.”

“I’ll walk you out.” Ava said as she followed Justin out of her bedroom.

“She was so excited about being able to stay with you that she wasn’t even concerned about me leaving.” He said with a laugh as he walked beside Ava down her hall.

Ava smiled, “I’m sure she was. She’ll miss you.”

“I know I’ll miss her.” Justin said as they reached the door. He opened it and stepped out into the hall, but turned back around, “Oh! I almost forgot. I left you some money in Olivia’s bag, just in case. And I also had you an extra key made to my house just in case you need anything from there.” He said as he shoved his hands in his pockets.

“You didn’t have to do that. I’ve got money.”

“Yeah but I wouldn’t feel right leaving her here with you with no money.”

“I wouldn’t have minded.”

“I know, but still.” He said smiling.

“Alright if you insist.” She said smiling as a silence fell over them. Ava shoved some hair behind her ear nervously and stepped out into the hallway to reach Justin, “Well, have a safe trip.” She said opening herself up for a hug that Justin embraced.

Ava rolled her eyes blissfully. Either it was too early in the morning or she was crazy, but damn did that man smell good! He didn’t feel to bad either.

She instantly mentally kicked herself for having those thoughts.

They were friends.

Nothing more nothing less.

“I will.” He said as he squeezed her tighter and pulled away. He bent down and kissed her on the cheek and then stepped back, “I’ll call you when we get there.”

Yep, it was too early in the morning.

Ava smiled nervously, “Ok. Be safe.”

He winked and then walked toward the elevators, “Always. Go back to sleep.” He said as he pressed the down button.

Ava smiled back, “Bye Timbs.” She said as she closed the door and locked it behind her. She leaned her back against it, and sighed.

Wow.

She pushed the stray hair back out of her face and double checked the locks. She made her back to her room, and crawled into the safety of her bed.

Maybe it was the lack of sleep that caused those feelings?

Yeah that was it.

“Daddy yeave?”

Ava smiled, “Yep.”

“Me miss him, but I have fun wif you.”

Ava smiled and pulled the little girl closer to her and wrapped her arms around her, “I have fun with you too.” She said as Olivia snuggled closer to her.

Olivia reached her little head up to reach Ava’s chin and place a kiss on the bottom of it, “Night Mrs. Ava.”

Ava smiled and placed a kiss on her curly little head, “Night Livvie.”

Five minutes later their breathing evened out and matched each others as they both fell fast asleep.
Icky Cucumbers : Chapter 10 by Jamie Lynn
Author's Notes:
*SIGH OF RELIEF* Another chapter from hell! LOL. It's short I know, but I think after this it should be smooth sailing for a I have an idea I think you guys are gonna like! For now...ICKY CUCUMBERS!
Chapter Ten



“Do we eat these?” asked Olivia as she held up a slice of cucumber.

Ava and Kaci laughed, “No sweetie you’re supposed to put these over your eyes.” Ava said smiling at Olivia’s confused face. As of right now her little face was covered in a green facial mask and she looked like a little monster.

Kaci had planned a girl’s day today and they were going to pamper themselves all day long. A facial, manicures, pedicures the works. And Olivia wanted nothing more than to participate along with them.

“Why?” Olivia asked.

Ava looked to Kaci for an answer who in return shrugged, “Honestly, I don’t know.”

“Tay.” Olivia said as she pulled herself up onto the couch between Ava and Kaci.

“Alright girls do we have our cucumbers?” Kaci asked as she held up her own two.

“Check.” Ava said holding up hers.

“Sheck.” Olivia said copying Ava.

“Alright, I’m setting the timer.” Kaci said as she reached her hand to the end table next to her and grabbed the kitchen timer. She set it for ten minutes and then sat it back down, “And go.” She said as all three covered their eyes with cucumbers.

Ava sighed and smiled when she heard Olivia do the same. “To bad we don’t have a masseuse. Then it would really be a day at the spa.” Ava said as she got situated in her spot on the couch.

Kaci sighed, “I tried. But the guy bailed on me. Plus I thought it would a little too X-Rated for the kid. Because believe me dude was hot! I don’t think I would have been able to control myself.”

Ava laughed as she adjusted herself on the couch, “Good thinking. How are we doing over there Liv?”

“I good.” Olivia said.

“I think the kid’s a natural.” Kaci said as Ava laughed.

“I think we’ve created a monster. D-A-D-D-Y is gonna kill us when he returns.”

“I’m not scared of him. What’s he gonna do beat me with his awesome dance moves?”

Ava laughed, “Good point.”

Silence fell upon the three girls for the next few minutes until the timer buzzed.

“Alright let’s go wipe this mess off our faces.” Kaci said as she stood to go into the bathroom followed by the other two.

“We eat now?” Olivia asked referring to the cucumbers.

Ava smiled, “No not now. They’re yucky now from the green stuff. Want me to throw them away for you?” She said making a face that showed how yucky they really were.

“Pease.”

Ava smiled as she Olivia placed the slices in her hand and she threw them along with hers in the trashcan next to the sink.

They washed their faces off and helped Olivia with hers. Kaci and Ava had her standing on the sink and she looked into the mirror, “Is soft.” She said rubbing her face.
Ava and Kaci laughed, “Come on Kid.” Kaci said as she gathered Livvie in her arms and carried her back into the living room.

They each returned to their spots on the couch, and Kaci opened her case full of nail polish. “Alright Liv what’s your favorite color?”

“Pink!” she squealed as Ava helped her back onto the couch between her and Kaci.

“Alright then pink it is. Let me see your hand.”

“You make my nails yike yours?” Olivia asked as she admired Kaci’s nails that were holding her hand steady.

“I sure am.”

Olivia smiled big, “Me yike yours.” She said excitedly.

Ava laughed at the child’s excitement and began to flip through a magazine. These past couple of days spent with Olivia had really made her love the child so much more. She was so full of life, and so eager to try and learn different things. She was so great having been raised by only one parent and it being a father who freely admitted he didn’t know what he was doing half the time.

And as if on time she heard the sounds of her cell phone, “I’m bringin’ sexy back…”

“It was too good to be true. Are you gonna answer that or make us sit through the torture?” Kaci asked as she worked on Olivia’s nails.

“Hey that’s a good song.” Ava said as she stood and walked over to her phone that was currently sitting on the dining room table, “Hello?”

“Hey! How’s it going?”

Ava smiled, “Perfectly. She’s been an angel.”

“Great. Well everything is on schedule as planned. My flight leaves at 5:30. But I have one more favor to ask you.”

“I think you’re all favored out my friend.” Ava said as she walked back into the living room and sat back on the couch.

“Last one I promise.”

“I’m sure, but go ahead. What does this favor consist of?”

“Trace came home yesterday and was en route to Tennessee for his sister’s birthday. Which leaves me without a ride that is unless you can bestow your kindness upon me again? Otherwise you’ll leave me to the terrors of LA at night in a Taxi. You don’t want a dead Pop Star’s blood on your hands do you?”

“What’s the Diva demanding now?” Kaci asked as she popped her head up from the work she was doing on Olivia’s nails.

“Tell her I heard that.”

“I think that was the point.” Ava said laughing, “What time does your flight land?”

“Scheduled for 9:30 but plans could change.”

“Alright, I’ll pick you up. But call if time changes.”

“I will. Is Livvie around?”

“Yeah she’s right here.” Ava pulled the phone from her ear, “Liv you want to talk to Daddy?”

“Mm hmm. Me miss him.” Olivia said as Ava held the phone to her ear, “Hi Daddy.”

Ava could only hear Olivia’s part of the conversation and she knew it was inevitable that he was going to find out about the girl day they were having.

“Lots of fun. We got to put cumbers on our eyes. And dis geen stuff on my face. I yook like a munser daddy.”

Kaci and Ava both shared a look that was hopeful of their not getting in trouble.

“No daddy Mrs. Ava said it was yucky so no eat. Uh huh. Kaci do my nails.”

Uh oh. “Pink.” Olivia said with a smile, “Tay Daddy wuv you too!” Olivia handed the phone back to Ava, “Daddy talk to you.”

“Hello?” Ava said as she put the phone back up to her ear.

“Pink huh?”

“She’s a girl Timberlake. She wanted to do what we were doing. She’s still alive, no harm done.”

“But I wanted to make her into a big time basketball star.” He whined, “Now you’ve introduced her to the world of girly stuff and so now my dreams of having a WNBA star daughter are down the drain.”

Ava rolled her eyes, “Justin even WNBA stars have girly days. So it’s still possible.”

“Ugh whatever. Just as long as she’s not wearing make-up and her ears aren’t pierced when I get back then I’m all good. Let’s save that heart attack for when she’s 16. No make that 30.”

“Too late.”

“What?”

“Just kidding.” Ava said laughing, “So we’ll see you at 9:30?”

“Yeah.”

“Alright have a safe flight.”

“Will do. Bye.”

“Bye Timbs.”




At 9:20 Ava and Olivia parked outside Justin’s terminal. Ava who was dressed in her relaxation clothes opted to stay inside the car considering she and Olivia wouldn’t be able to greet him outside his gate for security reasons.

She looked in her rearview mirror to see Olivia asleep in her car seat and she smiled. She was gonna miss the kid being there with her. She had come to the conclusion this weekend that Justin was just going to have to share her. The kid was far too cute for him to keep to himself.

Five minutes later Ava happened to look down and see her phone light up. She quickly answered it so the sound of the tone wouldn’t wake Olivia up, “Hello?”

“Did you forget about me?” said Justin.

Ava rolled her eyes and smiled, “No, I didn’t. I’m parked outside your terminal though. Olivia and I opted for the car greeting since I’m dressed in my PJ’s.” Ava turned her head to look at Olivia who was still conked out in her seat, “I don’t think your daughter is going to be much of a greeter. She’s totally zonked out back here.”

She could practically hear the smile forming on Justin’s face, “Just her being there will be fine with me. I really missed her.”

“She missed you too. She almost cried when she woke up that day you left. But then I came in the room and she was alright. I think it was knowing that you weren’t there plus waking up in a different place that freaked her out.”

“I’m used too it.” Justin said laughing.

Ava yawned and looked toward the doors of the airport to see Justin coming out of them. He was headed for her car, “Hey I see you.” Ava said with a smile.

“I think we can hang up now.” Justin said as Ava laughed and hung up too.

She stretched and opened the door to get out and help Justin with his bags.

She walked around her vehicle just as he approached. Her Jeep Liberty might not be the best thing compared to his Escalade but it was her baby. It hadn’t failed her once since she graduated college.

He opened his arms for her embrace him in a hug which she obliged willingly, “I didn’t realize how much I would miss you guys.” Justin said into her hair as he placed a kiss on her head. He had to admit he was glad to be home and not only to just be able to see his daughter. Although Livvie played a HUGE factor in his excited return, Ava had a hand in it as well. He missed her. And being away only gave him time to think. He had come to the conclusion that he thought way to much on this trip. He always found himself thinking of what she was doing. And he tried to write it off as he was just feeling that way because she had his daughter. But it wasn’t long before he realized that he couldn’t do that. He had feelings for her. What those feelings were he wasn’t sure yet. But something was definitely there.

He had no plans on rushing that. If they developed into relationship feelings he would deal with that when the time came. But for now he was setting them aside.

He wasn’t sure if he was ready for a relationship again.

Ava smiled and pulled away as she grabbed one of bags and opened the hatch to put his bags in her car, “I do have to confess that it was pretty boring without you around.” She said as Justin feigned shock.

“You only missed me because you were bored? I see how it is.” He said as he put his other bag in the back and closed it.

Ava smiled and walked around to her side of the car and climbed into the driver’s seat as Justin got into the passenger seat beside her.

“So how’d everything go?” Ava asked as she buckled her seat belt and put her car in gear to make their journey to his house.

Justin sighed, “Everything at William Rast went well. Our Spring line is looking good and everything with that is running on schedule. Well, for now anyway. Trace is supposed to be leaving in a few weeks to visit some of the factories to make sure that everything is running good in that department.”

“You’re nervous.” Ava said interrupting his spill. She looked over at him and saw him make a confused face.

“What?”

“You’re nervous. Over the past few months I’ve picked up on a few things about you, and one of those is that you ramble when you’re nervous.” She said as she flipped on her blinker to enter the interstate.

“Whatever. I don’t know what you’re talking about.” He said.

Ava laughed, “You’re doing it now. What’s got you so shook up?”

“It’s nothing. Well it’s something but it’s not anything that I haven’t dealt with before.” He said rubbing a hand over his face. As he propped his elbow up on the armrest and rested his chin in his palm.

“What’s going on?” She asked as she entered into the never ending traffic of LA.

“My record label is pushing me to do another album.”

“Do you not want to do one?”

“I do. At least I think I do. That’s the problem I’ve never actually had to think about doing another album. I was always so ready to jump feet first into a new one.”

“So what’s the difference with this one?”

Justin turned and looked back at this sleeping daughter, “Olivia. She’s brought so much perspective into my life. Any decision I make not only effects me it affects her too. And I never had to factor that into the equation before.”

Ava just remained quiet and let him talk as she continued to drive him home.

“If I do decide to do this album I can’t just put out a record and be done with it. It’s a two year long circus that goes along with it. And I have a hard time keeping her out of the tabloids as it is and I’ve been on hiatus for three years now. She doesn’t need to be around that at her age, and I can’t stand it when I’m NOT around her.”

“Is there a way you can give them what they want and do what you want?” Ava asked.

Justin shifted back to face the front and shrugged, “I don’t know. I honestly think this is going to be the decision that’s going to make or break my career.”

“Sounds like you’ve got a decision on your hands.”

“A big one, but I ultimately know what I would choose. Without a second thought or a look back I would choose my daughter.”

Ava felt her heart swell a little bit. She bit her lip and continued to listen to him talk as she drove. While all the while trying to fight off these sudden…she didn’t even know what to call them.

Surely she couldn’t be having feelings for him? Before she could honestly say she wasn’t attracted to him and that they were strictly friends and what they had was purely platonic. But she wasn’t so sure about now.

She also knew she wasn’t going to focus on them or try to make them something that they weren’t. She didn’t want to ruin what they were just starting to build. She knew that they to lay the foundation before pouring the cement. Right now she was content with just being his friend. He was still grieving his wife, and she…well…she was grieving her failed love life.
Nosy Mothers and Evil Sister-In-Laws : Chapter 11 by Jamie Lynn
Ava slipped out of the driver’s seat of her Jeep and shut the door behind her. It was getting closer and closer to Christmas which meant it was slowly starting to slowly cool down in LA. It was cooler in the evenings than in any other time of day.

She reached the door of her apartment building and walked inside. She stopped by her mailbox and checked their mail knowing that Kaci didn’t. Then she made her way to the elevators, and just as she pressed the up button her phone rang. She dished it out as best she could with her one free hand, and flipped it open. “Hello?”

“Hello darling! How are you?” said her mother’s voice.

That was so not the voice she wanted to hear. For the past few weeks she and her mother were not getting along. It was always around Christmas time where she tried her best to meddle in her or her brother’s lives. And each year they blew it off knowing that it kept her mind off their father. But this year she was chewing on her last nerve.

“Hey mom.” Ava said as he stepped onto the elevator, and pressed the number four button to take her up to her apartment.

“Are you just getting off work?”

“Yes. I’m just about to be at my apartment. How are you?”

“I’m fine honey just fine. I talked to your brother’s today.”

“Did you?” Ava said as she pushed her key into her apartment lock.

“Yes I did. You should give your brother a call. Cooper sounds really down.”

Ava pushed her door open and closed it behind her as she laid all her stuff on the dining room table, “I’m sure the last person he wants to talk to is me, mom.”

“Now what makes you say that? Your brother loves you very much. It would probably mean a lot that you gave him a call to see how he was doing.”

“Mom if I call him after you called he’s going to know that you put me up to it. And how is that going to look when his sister calls only because her mother told her too?”

“Ava you call your brother.” said Beth, her mother, in a stern voice.

Ava sighed and gave in as she took a spot on the stool in the kitchen, “Alright mom.”

“So tell me about what’s been going on with you. I haven’t heard from you in a few days. Could a boyfriend be the cause of that?”

Ava rolled her eyes, “No mom no boyfriend. Work is what’s been going on with me. It’s been really busy here lately. Babies have been popping out like crazy and little kids have been getting really sick. You know the usual.”

“Honey you shouldn’t let work rule your life.”

“It doesn’t mom.”

“When’s the last time you went out on a date?”

“A month ago. And it was a blind date it was nothing special.”

“Honey, you’re going to be thirty by the time you have your first child at the rate your going. And when’s the last time you actually…you know.”

“MOM! I don’t want to talk about it!” Ava said as she threw her free hand up in the air, “Every time we get on the phone with each other it’s the same thing. Why can’t you call and bug Coop and Ryan about their love lives. They’re single to you know.”

“They’ve also already been married and have children.”

“Mom I am not talking to you about my sex life!”

Her mom was busy laughing when she heard the sound that let her know she had another call.

“Mom I have someone on the other line. I have to go ok?”

“Ava Nicole don’t you dare…”

Ava switched over to the other line, “Hello?”

“Hey sis.”

Ava eyes bugged at the sound of her brother’s voice, “Hey Coop. I was just talking about you.”

“Really? To who?”

“Mom.” Ava said with a bit of annoyance coming from her voice.

Cooper laughed, “She called you too huh?”

Ava stood and made her way into the living room to sit on the couch, “Yeah she did.” Ava said as she sprawled out on her couch and placed her head back on the arm rest.

“So how’s my favorite sister doing?”

“Working like crazy but I’ve been doing really good.”

“You know I called you the other day.”

“Did you now? Did you call on my cell or my apartment?” Ava asked. She didn’t remember getting a missed call or message from Kaci.

“I called the apartment and talked to Kaci. She said you were out with Justin. Who’s Justin?”

Ava rolled her eyes, “A friend.”

“That’s all you’re going to give me?”

“Well that’s what he is. A friend. What more would you want me to give?”

“You’ve never been just friends with a guy Ava.”

“I have too.” She said defensively, “And I don’t want to talk about this.”

“Kaci told me who he was.”

“Did she? She sure does talk a lot where you are concerned.”

Cooper laughed, “She was just answering my questions.”

“So you’re friends with Justin Timberlake.” Cooper said when Ava didn’t reply.

Ava sighed. It was probably a sigh that gave away too much to someone who knew her so well, but at this point she didn’t care. He probably knew more than what she wanted him too thanks to Kaci, “Yeah.”

“Sounds like you want there to be a little more.”

“I don’t know. Really, I don’t. He’s a really good friend, and it’s nice having more than just Kaci to talk too ya know?”

“Yeah, I do.”

“But then there’s these new…I don’t even know if you’d consider them feelings. They just came out of the blue one day. And now he’s all I can think about. I’m anticipating his calls, which he hasn’t done today by the way. And he keeps doing all these things, saying all these things, and he’s turning into, I don’t know, a guy that I can actually see myself with.”

“So you like him?”

Ava sighed again, “Yeah. Yeah I actually do.”

“What’s wrong with that?”

“Everything.” Ava said throwing her hand up in the air. She brought it back down to rest on her forehead and continued, “He’s a widower who is still very much grieving the loss of his wife. And he’s just…I don’t know. I don’t think he’s ready for anything. So, I’m just sitting idly by trying to sort through these things. Have a mentioned that he’s a really good friend?”

Cooper laughed, “Yeah you did.”

“Well, he is. And that’s what started this in the first place. He needed a friend, and honestly I needed someone other than Kaci to hang with and talk too. And we’re just now getting to the point were a friendship is starting to form something solid and I don’t want mess everything up.”

“I know. This is some uncharted territory for you. But you seem like you like him a lot. My advice to you is to just keep the feelings at bay. Like you said he’s still grieving, and you need to be prepared to accept that he may never stop grieving her.”

“I know. Ugh, enough about me. It’s giving me a headache. It’s all I’ve thought about today.”

Cooper laughed, “I miss you kid.”

“I miss you too. When are you gonna come see me? I haven’t seen you or the rug rats in a long time.”

“I don’t know. Like you work’s been crazy and it’s hard trying to get my schedule and the ex’s to work right as far as getting the kids.”

Ava mentally scratched the eyes out of her ex sister-in-law’s head. She literally hated the ground she walked on. “Mom mentioned something about you being down lately. Would Tiff happen to be the reason behind that?”

Now it was Cooper’s turn to sigh, “I’m not going to be able to get the kid’s on Christmas.”

“What? Why not?” Ava asked anger dripping from her words.

Her and her sister-in-law never got a long to begin with. Ava was always good at smelling a rat, and that’s exactly what Tiffany was. Her brother and Tiffany had been together for over five years and if you had asked Cooper he would tell you that everything was fine. But he was a Marine and with the war he’d been doing frequent tours. Tiffany saw it as her time to play and actually thought she would never get caught until Cooper came home unexpected due to an injury and got caught. It was supposed to be meant as a surprise since he was going to be home for a few months until his injured foot healed, but Cooper was the one who got the surprise. Tiffany knew when she married him how much being a solider meant to him, but apparently love wasn’t good enough.

“She just got engaged. And apparently he wants to take her and the kids away for Christmas.”

“Cooper you have a right to see your kids especially during Christmas. She got them last Christmas it’s your turn.”

“Ava I don’t want to get things stirred up between us. It’s civil between us again, and it’s better for the kids this way.”

“Why do you let her do this too you?”

“Do what?”

“Walk all over you. All she has to do is bat her eyes and you bow to her every wish and whim.”

“I do not.” Cooper said getting a little defensive.

“Cooper yes you do. If it were me I wouldn’t let her take my kids off with her new flavor of the month fiancée or not during Christmas.”

“She want’s the kids to get to know him.”

“And before you know it she’ll want to take the kids out of state or something and you’re gonna let her do it. She’ll tell you that it’ll be better for the kids or some shit when it’s not. You’re their father Coop not….whatever his name is.”

“She’s letting me have a week with them in return. So mom said something about moving Christmas up a week or whatever.”

“Coop, I hate this for you. I really do.”

“I know.”

“Things will get better. She’ll get what she deserves. Hopefully an STD.”

Cooper laughed, “That’s mean Ava.”

“Well, it’s what inevitably happens to trifling tramps like her.”

“You’re something else little sister. But I have a favor to ask of you.”

“What’s that?”

“Tiffany is living in LA now. I was wondering if you could possibly meet up with her and bring the kids with you when you come down here. It would save me a trip up there, and you’d get to spend some time with the kids yourself.”

The thought of meeting up with her sister-in-law was enough to make her refuse, but for her brother she would walk through fire, “I can do that.”

“And you’ll be civil?”

“That I can’t promise. I can’t keep a leash on this mouth and you know that.”

“Well that’s good enough I guess. When I know more I’ll call you.”

“Sounds good to me.”

“Thanks Ava. This really means a lot to me.”

“Anytime big brother. How’s the other one doing?”

“Ryan is currently out slutting it up with his new girlfriend.”

“Girlfriend?”

“Yeah, I’m betting it’s not going to last long. I think he’s just looking to get laid.”

Ava laughed, “He’s always looking to get laid. Well, bro, I gotta get off here. I’ve taken all I can of this hospital stink and I need to go wash it off.”

“Alright. I’ll call you in the next couple of days with more details.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

“Thanks Ava.”

“Coop, it’s not a problem. Believe me you’ve done bigger things for me it’s the least I can do.”

“I love you kid.”

“I love you too.” Ava said. She said her goodbyes to her brother, and got up to go take a shower that seemed like heaven on earth.

Once she returned from the shower Kaci had returned home, “Hey babe.” Kaci said looking up at her from where she was looking through the mail. “I guess nothing good like a check came in today did it?” She said laying the envelopes back on the kitchen counter.

Ava opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water, “We could only be so lucky.” She said as she twisted the cap off and took a long drink.

“How was your day?” Kaci asked as she motioned for Ava to follow her into the living room.

“Great until I got on the elevator to go up to the apartment.”

“What happened?”

“I answered my phone.”

“Your mom again?”

“You guessed right. She was bugging me about how I work too much, how I don’t have a sex life or a love life, and…I was so happy Cooper called so I could cut it short.”

Kaci laughed, “Your brother called a few days ago. I meant to tell you but I left before you got home and I completely forgot.”
“It’s fine. He did tell me that you told him about Justin.”

“Oops.” Kaci said sheepishly.

“I’m not worried about it. He would have found out about it eventually. Oh! Guess what he told me though.”

“What?”

“Ex sister-in-law lives here in LA.”

“No way.”

“Yep. She’s not letting him have the kids on Christmas like he was originally supposed too. Her fiancée or whatever he is, wants to take them on some trip over Christmas. And my brother is actually letting her do it.”

“He’s not going to see the kids on Christmas?”

“She’s letting him get them a week early. Which means we have too move Christmas up which is no problem but I would just like to give that slut a piece of my mind.” Ava said as she took another drink of her water.

“On a lighter note I got some good news for you.” Kaci said.

“What’s that?”

Kaci turned crossed legged facing Ava, “So, I met this guy…”

Ava interrupted her, “I don’t even like where this is going. I don’t want to go on another blind date.”

“Come on you didn’t even let me finish.”

“You can finish but I’m still not going.”

“Ava come on. He’s a really nice guy. He’s so not like all the other’s I set you up with.”

“What’s the difference?”

“He’s 28, a lawyer, extremely hot, and did I mention that he’s a lawyer?”

“Yeah you did.”

“Did I mention that he just made partner in his father’s firm?”

“No you didn’t. But that still doesn’t do it for me.”

“Ava, please! Can you at least give him a chance?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Because Kaci every time before this you’ve always told me the same thing. Why should this time be any different?”

“Because…it really is different this time.”

“No Kaci and that’s it.”

“Ok make a deal with me. If this time isn’t what you’re looking for then I promise no matter how hot, rich, or sweet I’ll not refer you to them.”

“Do you promise?”

Kaci placed her hand over heart, “Promise.”

“Alright. I’ll do it.” Ava said as Kaci lunged her self at Ava wrapping her arms around her neck.

“I promise Ave!”

“I’m holding you to it this time.” Ava said as she pulled away from Kaci.

For some reason she felt that this time was going to be no different than before.



“Daddy?” Olivia said from her spot in Justin’s lap.

“Yeah?” Justin said diverting his attention from Finding Nemo to his daughter.

She lifted his hand with her smaller one and began to play with his fingers, “Me miss Ava.”

Justin smiled. His daughter had become super attached to his new found friend, and in a way he couldn’t blame because he had too. For the past four plus months that he had known her he really felt like he had known her all his life. “You like Ava don’t you?”

“Yes. She really nice. I yike her awot.”

Justin smiled, “I do too.” He said as he watched her play with the wedding band that was still on his finger.

“I yike Kaci too. Her paint my nails.” Olivia said

Justin laughed. Olivia really loved her pink nails. It was this past week that made him realize that there were things that Olivia actually needed a woman around for that he couldn’t do.
Jealous Much? : Chapter 12 by Jamie Lynn
Author's Notes:
Well it seems that most you guys' suspicions are now confirmed! LOL. I hope you enjoy. I tried to make Justin as likeable yet unlikeable as possible...if that made any sense you guys LOL!
Ava looked herself over in the mirror. She smoothed out the dress around her waist and placed her hands at her sides again. She still couldn’t even believe she was doing this. She hadn’t even talked to this “wonderful” guy that Kaci set her up with.

“You look gorgeous.” Kaci said as Ava saw her through the mirror enter into her room.

Ava was wearing a favorite little black dress of her own that never ceased to make her feel at least a little bit sexy. Ava smiled a nervous smile at her friend, “Thanks.”

“I know you’re mad at me. And I promised you that if this one was a disaster that there would be no more blind dates, and I’ll but out. But He just called. He said he’d be here in five. So if you’re not finished you should probably be finishing up now.” Kaci snuck in between her and the mirror and grabbed her by the face with both hands, “Don’t be so nervous. He’s really a nice guy. You have nothing to worry about.”

Ava placed her hands on Kaci’s and pulled them away from her face, “I’m not nervous. I’m just anxious to get this over with.” Ava said as she walked over to her dresser and grabbed her handbag. It was a much smaller one than the bag that she carried everyday. Being a nurse you never know what you’re going to need so therefore she carried her whole life in her purse. But going on a blind date you only needed a little bit. Cell phone, money incase he was a cheap scum bag or things just went down the drain and you needed a cab, lip gloss incase it all went good, and gum/breath mints in case you had a little something to eat that made your breath smell…gross.

“I understand, but I have a good feeling about this one. I think you’re really going to like him. And you’re mom will be satisfied when she calls and you have a date to talk about.”

“Satisfying my mom by going on a date is the furthest thing from my mind. And that’s what you said about the other fifty guys you set me up with.” She said as she walked out of her bedroom and into the living room.

“I know you’re not excited about this. But could you at least act the littlest bit enthused for his sake?”

Before Ava had a chance to respond there was a knock on their door, “Please be civil.” Kaci said as she walked to the door and opened it, “Hey Jason! It’s good to see you again come on in.”

“Thanks.” Jason said as he stepped around Kaci and came into Ava’s line of vision, “You must be Ava.” Jason said walking toward Ava with his hand outstretched. “I’m Jason Walker. Kaci’s told me a lot about you.”

Ava took his hand and smiled back at him, “Ava McKinley. She’s told me a lot about you as well.” Ava said as she looked in her friend’s direction and back at Jason.

Last night she wasn’t mad at Kaci at all. But while she was trying to fall asleep she had a lot of time let the wound fester and she came to the conclusion that she was tired of people involving themselves in her love life. She was perfectly capable of finding a man on her own.

She had found Justin didn’t she?

Sensing the uncomfortable silence Kaci decided to break it, “So Jason what are your plans for the night?”

“Well I was thinking we’d catch a movie and go to dinner. I have reservations at a nice French restaurant on the outskirts of LA.”

“That sounds wonderful. Ava you like French don’t you?”

“Yes I do.” Ava said looking at Jason with a smile. That was the furthest thing from the truth. The closest she had ever gotten to French delicacy was French Fries. And she knew that didn’t count. But it was a good thing she was open to new things or this date would be headed for disaster like all the others.

“Should we get going?” Ava asked looking at her watch.

“Actually yes we should. Our reservations at the restaurant are at eight o’clock.” He said extending his arm for Ava to take.

Well that was one quality she could say she liked about him. He was a gentleman. And he wasn’t bad looking at all. He had that ruggedly handsome quality about him. And his voice…wow. She really liked his voice. Hopefully when it got to the ‘So tell me about yourself’ conversation they were destined to have over dinner her opinion of him wouldn’t change.

They began to walk the short distance to the door, and as Jason opened the door to let her through Ava looked back at Kaci and placed her hand on the door knob, “I’ll see you later. I have my cell.”

As Ava was closing the door she called back, “Don’t wait up.”

Kaci smiled and rolled her eyes at Ava’s attitude. She knew her hostility would no longer exist once she returned from her date.

Feeling confident in her success of hooking Ava up with the right person she settled into the couch for a night of Friends.

______________________________________


“Uncle Trace Barbie no be nakie!” Olivia protested as she put her Barbie doll down and went around the other side of the table to help her Uncle.

“What? She looks fine like this.” Trace said purposely trying to get a rise out of the little girl.

“No Uncle Trace! Her going on a date wif Ken. Her can’t be nakie that no nice!”

“Oh. Really?”

“Yes.”

“Well you’ve got to help me dress her then. I don’t know what to dress her in.”

Olivia shook her head at her Uncle and grabbed a pink dress to dress the doll in, “Put dis on her.” She said handing him the dress.

“Pink?”

“Her a girl Uncle Trace.”

“Oh right, right.” He said taking the dress from her, “How do I do this?”

Olivia placed a hand on her hip and looked at her Uncle, “Have you no played Barbie’s fore?”

“No.”

“Me show you how.” Olivia said grabbing Trace’s doll and the dress. She began to put the dress on the Barbie and once she had it on she handed it back to Trace.

“That’s how you do it.” Trace said sounding astonished, “Ok. Thank you for showing me I would have never figured it out.”

Justin stepped down off the last step of his stair case and walked into the living room to see his best friend playing Barbie dolls with his daughter. If he was half the mean person that some people claimed he was he would grab a camera and film this for blackmail. “What are you guys doing?”

“Playing Barbie’s.” Trace said not looking up at Justin. He was combing the dolls hair with the little brush that Olivia had given him.

Justin laughed, “I see. Listen I was going to go hang out with A-V-A for a little while. Do you mind keeping Olivia for me?”

“No I don’t mind. Tell Av…her I said hi.” Trace catching on to why Justin spelled out Ava’s name. If Olivia knew where he was going she would want to go too, and Justin needed some time out of the house by himself for a while.

“Thanks man. Olivia come give Daddy a hug goodbye.” Justin said as he bent down to Olivia’s level.

Olivia walked over to her father and gave him a big hug and kissed him on the chin, “Where you go Daddy?”

“I’m just going to go out for a little while. I probably won’t be back until you’re asleep. So, I think I need one more hug.”

“Daddy, I playing Barbie’s wif Uncle Trace, this is the last one tay?”

Justin held back a laugh, “Yes mamn.” He said as Olivia gave him his last hug. He placed a kiss on her head and let her go back to her Barbie’s.

He stood back up and started to walk toward the door but stopped to talk to Trace, “I’ll have my cell on me. I shouldn’t be too late. But if you need to you can crash here tonight.” Justin said.

“I was planning on it anyway. Don’t worry about being late me and Olivia will hold down the fort. Right kid?”

“Yep!” She said giving a toothy grin.

Justin laughed, “Bye guys.” He said as he continued to the door.

_____________________________________________


It wasn’t that long a drive from his house to Ava and Kaci’s apartment so he got there in ten minutes. When he reached the door and saw that Kaci answering it he realized that maybe he should have called first.

“Hey Kace. Is Ava home?”

“Hey Justin come on in. I could use some company.”

Justin entered the apartment and looked around for any sign of Ava. Her car was parked out in the lot so he didn’t know where she could have gone.

“Where’s Ava?” He asked as he followed Kaci into the living room.

Kaci sat down on the couch and answered his question, “She went out on a date.”

“A date?” Justin asked confused. Ava went out on a date? She hadn’t even told him she was seeing anyone.

“Yeah. She left about an hour ago.”

“A date?”

Kaci laughed, “Yeah. Why? Is it that hard to believe?”

Justin shook his head, “No it’s not. But she hadn’t even mentioned that she was seeing anyone.”

“She’s not.”

“Then how is she out on a date?”

“I set her up on a blind date.” Kaci said.

Justin felt, well, almost relieved that it was one of her blind dates. Ava had told him before about all the disastrous dates Kaci had set her up on, and if this one was like all the others then he didn’t have anything to worry about.

“You did? What’s this one like?”

Kaci smiled, “I think he’s perfect for her. He’s a complete gentleman and Lord is that man fine. If I weren’t so caught up in school and work right now I would so take him for myself.”

That was so not what he expecting to hear.

Perfect for her?

He thought that now was as good a time as ever to finally let out that he had been fighting off having feelings for her.

And… he was jealous.

How could he not like her?

She was beautiful, awesome with kids, beautiful, his daughter loved her very much and he was sure the feeling was very much mutual, and did he mention she was beautiful?

Because she really was. He didn’t see why some other guy hadn’t already staked his claim on her. She had beautiful shoulder length brown hair, honey brown eyes; she had a bit of a pale complexion but it was nothing a little LA sun wouldn’t fix. And he had to admit that he was attracted to her from the start. He just didn’t know how to deal with it. It was all so new to him. She was the first woman to be a fixture in his life since Melanie passed away besides his mother and Olivia.

“Perfect for her?”

“Yeah. I really think he is. He’s handsome, smart, funny, got a good head on his shoulders, and he’s got a lot of qualities in a man she’s been looking for.”

“How do you know him?”

“He’s in my Psych class. I sit by him. What’s with the third degree?” Kaci asked.

Not wanting to give himself away, “I was just curious. I hadn’t heard anything about this, and I took for granted that she would be home. She’s usually home on Thursday nights. She’s kind of got this routine, and I guess I just got used to it.”

“Routine?”

“Yeah. Routine. Have you not noticed that?”

Kaci laughed, “I guess not.”

“She hardly anywhere but here in this spot,” Justin said pointing to the couch, “on Thursday nights. Tuesday, her other day off, is her day for doing things around here and running errands.”

“I guess you’re right. I guess it’s become so routine for me that I never noticed it being routine. If that made any sense.” Kaci said smiling at Justin.

“Oddly enough it did.”

Kaci pulled her legs up on the couch and curled herself into a ball in her own corner, “So what’s your take on Friends?”

“Probably the best sitcom in the history of sitcoms.”

“Just the answer I was looking for.” She said as she pressed play on the remote.

Justin tried to get himself engrossed in Friends and take his mind of Ava not being here, but he couldn’t. The longer time passed by the more worried he got. His luck things could be going good. And as sorry as it sounds…he didn’t want things to go good.


___________________________________________


“Thanks for dinner.” Ava said smiling at him. She was willing to let what happened during the movie slide for a civil goodbye. Had it not been for Matt Damon gracing the screen in front of her she would have demanded he take her home.

“No problem. We should do it again sometime.”

Ava rolled her eyes, “I don’t think so.”

“Why not?”

“I just don’t think I see us going any further. You’re a nice guy and all. I just, I don’t really want a relationship right now.”

“I see.”

Needless to say all that was true, but she also didn’t want to be with someone who wouldn’t leave her alone during the whole movie. She wouldn’t have minded much, but he just kept on and on.

Sometimes that’s real annoying for a girl.

Especially if Matt Damon is way hotter than the guy trying to cop a feel of your boob.

After a few more minutes of the uncomfortable silence Ava placed her hand on the handle and opened the car door. So much for him opening the door for her. But she guessed that what she deserved for cutting him off during his advances on her during the movie. “I’ll see you around.” Ava said as she made her way out of the car and looked back at him before she closed the door.

“Yeah. Sure.”

Ava shut the door and was honestly happy too see the awaiting door of her apartment building. She opened her hand bag and fished out her keys. Once she had the keys in her hand she made her way to the door to the sound of a pissed Jason speeding away. She laughed and shook her head. She greeted the night security guard as she made her way to the elevators. She pressed the up button and looked at her watch. She realized it was Midnight and shook her head.

A five hour date from hell.

Kaci owed her a manicure and pedicure…and Kaci was gonna pay for it. Before she knew it she was putting the key to her apartment in the lock and entering her apartment.

She quietly closed the door behind her and slipped out of her heels. She heard the TV going in the living room and saw the light from a lamp shining as well. She walked in to find Justin asleep on her couch.

She lightly tapped Justin on the foot, “Justin.”

“Mmm.”

She laughed and did the same again, “Justin.”

He finally opened his eyes and saw Ava standing over him. He looked like he was trying to figure out his whereabouts, and when he finally realized where he was and who it was standing over him he asked, “What time is it?” He asked sitting up.

“Midnight. Where’s Kaci?” She asked sitting down on the other end of the couch.

“She had a study date. She told me I could stay to wait on you if I wanted. Glad to see you finally decided to come home.” He said with a little anger coming out in his tone. He noticed her dress that she had on and it was a nice change from seeing her in scrubs and jeans and t-shirts. She looked amazing but the Jealous Justin blinded the Rational, Charming Justin. The fact that another guy got to see her in that dress other than him just made him even more jealous.

Ava overlooked it and continued her conversation, “What are you doing here? I didn’t know you were coming over.” She said pulling her legs up onto the couch under her.

“Well, I came over to hang out with you. But Kaci told me you were out on a date.” He said with a bit of bitterness in his voice. He was slowly shocking himself at how quick the bitterness was coming out.

He couldn’t believe that he actually felt this way, but he did.

It scared him.

To think that he could be losing his second chance to some, jerk, just made him more bitter.

And that more than anything scared him even more.

“Yeah. I was.” She said.

“Well judging by the time you’re getting home it went REALLY well.” He said as ran a hand over his face.

Ava was a little taken aback by his bitterness, but chalked it up to him just waking up. “Well, it went better than the other ones. But I wouldn’t consider it the best time I ever…”

“I’m sure it did. Since this is your soul mate and all.” Justin said cutting her off. Inside his brain was kicking the hell out of his tongue. For some reason it was speaking before his brain told it not too. But everything just kept coming out. “I’ve been here for five hours waiting on you. While you were out doing, god I don’t even want to think about what you were doing, with someone you barely even know.”

Ava knew now that he was very much awake, and he knew exactly what he was saying. And as each word fell from his lips the more mad and hurt she got.

Now she could add Timberlake’s mouth to the list of things that made this night hell.

“Well for one I’m sorry you sat here for five hours but I didn’t invite you over and it’s not like Kaci twisted your arm to stay. And I have you know that I had a horrible time with that guy.” She said not letting him know that one of the whole reasons she had a horrible time on the date- other than the fact that Jason kept trying to cop a feel- was that she thought about him the whole time. And about how she’d much rather be out with him.

Justin opened his mouth to respond but Ava cut him off, “No I think you’ve done enough talking for right now. Because you’ve done nothing but piss me off. How dare you insinuate that I even did anything with that guy. I would never, EVER do anything like that with someone I barely know.” She said as a few tears fell down her face.

As if the date wasn’t bad enough this conversation with Justin just made it worse.

Ava stood up, “I want you to leave.”

“What?”

“You heard me.”

“Why so you can call whatever his name was back over?”

“I can’t believe you’re actually saying these things Justin. You don’t even know the half of what went on that date.”

Justin laughed sarcastically, “Oh but I’m sure I could come up with some possibilities.”

“I thought you knew me better than that.” Ava said as she wiped some tears off her cheek.

“I guess I don’t.” Justin knew that wasn’t true. He knew her and he knew that she wouldn’t do the things that he was insinuating, but that was just the jealousy in him speaking. The jealousy blinded the rational side of Justin and having five hours to ponder on it, well, that just made it worse.

“Leave.”

When he didn’t make a movement she more forcefully repeated herself, “Leave!” she yelled.

“Fine.” He said as he stood up and walked to the door. Ava watched him stalk to the door, and cringed when she heard it slam. She threw herself face down onto the couch and began to cry even more.
My Confessions : Chapter 13 by Jamie Lynn
Author's Notes:
Now that this one is out...I am off to bed! I hope you enjoy! If there are any mistakes I apologize before hand. I wrote this in half awake stupor! LOL. Enjoy!
“Ave.” Kaci said quietly as she pushed hair out of sleeping Ava’s face.

“Ava.” She said again lightly shaking her, “Ava, babe, you need to get up. It’s ten o’clock.”

Kaci could tell by Ava’s mascara stricken face that maybe things didn’t go so well last night. Right as Kaci was about to shake Ava awake again her eyes drifted open.

“Good morning beautiful.” Kaci said trying to place a smile on her face, “What are you doing out here?”

Ava looked around like she was trying to answer that for herself but then flashbacks of the night before came back to her mind and she simply laid her head back down and placed an arm over her eyes, “I guess it’s where I fell asleep.”

“You don’t look so good. What happened?”

“Well for starters Mr. Wonderful and I aren’t going to be seeing each other again.”

Kaci sighed, “What this time? Did he have a hair out of place or something? I’m beginning to think that you just look for things to be wrong in all these guys.”

“I don’t want to hear it Kaci. It’s kind of hard to see yourself going further with a guy who was trying to cop a feel all night and then to add to that you couldn’t concentrate on the guy in front of you because your mind was on another one.” Ava said with an attitude. She sat up and shoved herself off the couch and made her way into the kitchen. She looked down and realized she was still in her dress from the night before and rolled her eyes. With the way her night went last night all she wanted was to burn the thing. She threw open the fridge and grabbed the carton of Orange Juice to take a swig and when she realized it was empty she threw it up against the wall.

“Why do you insist on putting an empty carton back in the fridge? Is it so much to take the extra step and put it in the trash?” Ava asked as soon as Kaci entered in the kitchen.

“Whoa, chill, you think you can dial the ‘tude down a notch?” Kaci said. “The empty carton didn’t do anything to you.”

Ava set down on an unoccupied stool and laid her head down on the counter. Kaci sat on the stool next to Ava and placed an arm across her back for comfort, “Wanna talk about what happened last night?”

Ava lifted her head up and wiped tears off her cheeks and rubbed her hands across her face before she finally spoke, “It was the same. The date was fine except my head wasn’t fully there you know what I mean? It was like I was somewhere else all night long. All I could think about…” Ava drifted off and shook her head. The only person that knew of her feelings for Justin was her brother.

“All you could think about was what?”

Ava sighed and then looked at Kaci, “Justin.”

Kaci blinked once and her mouth fell open, “Are you serious?”

“Yeah.” Ava said as she put her head back on the counter.

“Ava that’s awesome. I’ve always known all along that you liked him more than you said you did. You guys would make such a great couple.”

Ava’s voice was muffled by her talking against the counter, “Not anymore.”

“What do you mean?”

“When I came back from the date last night I found him asleep on the couch. From the time I woke him up he was hostile, but I just chalked it off as him just waking up.” Ava said as she raised her head off the counter and pushed the hair out of her eyes. “But boy was I wrong. He was seriously mad at me and for what I don’t know. He started making all these rude comments, and insinuating things that he had no business insinuating in the first place. In so many ways he practically accused me of having sex with the guy.”

“He did what?”

“Yeah, he was sitting there interrogating me like he was my father or something. He didn’t even give me a chance to talk about my date he just assumed that it was all sunshine and roses.”

“Well while I was here he seemed…off. Like he was fine until I mentioned you were out on a date. And I don’t think I helped matters none when I told him how I thought he was perfect for you and how he had all the qualities that you had been looking for in a guy.”

Ava rolled her eyes and shrugged, “He really pissed me off. He made me cry, Kace.”

Kaci fought back the urge to laugh at the whine that came out with her last statement, “You know if my gut tells me right, and it usually does, I think Mr. Timberlake is, well, um…Lovestoned.”

Ava almost laughed at her use of Justin’s song, “No, I really don’t think so. He hasn’t even let on that he likes me. Plus, he’s a widower and a father. The last thing on his mind right now is dating someone. He’s told me so.”

“What else would explain the way he was acting?”

“I don’t know. But I really don’t think he likes me.”

“Whatever.” Kaci said rolling her eyes, “You don’t observe like Trace and I do. You didn’t even have to tell me that you liked Justin. Trace and I figured it out months ago.”

“Whatever.” Ava said as she stood. “I’m taking a shower.” She said as she walked toward her bedroom.




“Hi Daddy!” Olivia squealed as he made his way down the stairs. Justin had never slept past eight o’clock after becoming a father. And today was the first time he had done it in a long time. When he opened his eyes to finally get up he looked at his alarm clock and was shocked to see it read twelve o’clock.

“Hey baby.” He said groggily. “Did Uncle Trace make you breakfast?”

“We went to Donalds. We bring you back somedin.”

“You did?” Justin said as he bent down and scooped the little girl up onto his hip, “What did you bring me?” He asked as they walked further into the kitchen. He found Trace sitting at the counter reading a magazine and drinking some coffee.

“Bickit.” Olivia said. Justin smiled at his daughter’s pronunciation of biscuit.

“That sounds delicious.” Justin said as he placed her on a stool next to Trace and dug through the bag on the counter.

“It is. Me had one.” Olivia said as she turned her attention to the other man sitting at the counter, “What we do today Uncle Trace?”

“I don’t know what do you want to do?”

“I no know what you do?”

Trace smiled, “I don’t know what you want to do?”

“I no know what you do?”

“I don’t know what do you want to do?”

“Uncle Trace! Dop!”

“Stop what? I’m just asking you a question.”

“Me ask you first!” Olivia said getting a serious look on her face.

“Ok, I’m sorry. How about…we build a fort?” Trace said getting excited.

“What fort?” Olivia asked curiously

“Never mind. How about we…” Before Trace had a chance to finish Olivia cut him off.

“We go see Ava!” She said bouncing up and down in the chair.

Hearing Ava’s name made Justin think about what happened last night and he tried to get Olivia’s mind off of Ava for the moment, “What about the Zoo? You haven’t been to the Zoo in a while. I think they got new animals.”

“Ava go wif?”

Justin swallowed hard. Well so much for getting her mind off Ava. “I don’t know baby. I think Ava’s mad at Daddy.”

“Why? What you do Daddy?”

“Umm, well, Daddy said something he shouldn’t have. And I haven’t had a chance to apologize.”

Trace sensed there was a conversation that needed to be had between he and Justin so he sat Olivia down on the ground, “Why don’t you go play in the living room Munchkin.”

“Why?”

“Daddy and Uncle Trace need to talk. And when we’re through we can go to the park and play, how’s that sound?”

“Go to Donalds too?”

“Yes we’ll go to McDonalds.” Trace said smiling.

“Tay!” Ava said smiling really big as she ran off to play in the living room.

“What do you mean Ava’s mad at you?”

Justin rolled his eyes. He still couldn’t believe he said half of what he said last night. It made him sick just thinking about it. “When I went too see her last night she was out on a date. Which was weird for me because she never mentioned it or that she had an interest in anyone. So I went over there and Kaci filled me in. She was talking about how this guy was like her soul mate, and how she really thinks that this date was going to be different than the other ones.”

“And you got jealous right?”

Justin got a confused look on his face, “What?”

“You got jealous because she was out on a date with someone other than you. Am I right?”

“Well, I…yeah, I did.” Justin said. That was the first time he had ever admitted it out loud. For weeks he had gone over and over in his head his feelings for Ava. And now they were finally out in the open. “How’d you know?”

“I knew you had a thing for her. You just confirmed it for me.”

“How’d you know that?”

“I’m your best friend, Justin. I’ve known you forever. I think I can pretty much tell when you like a girl.”

“Was I that obvious?”

“To me you were. But that’s only because I’ve known you for so long.”

“Well, anyway, I fell asleep on her couch. She woke me up when she got there and I said some things that I really shouldn’t have said. I pretty much accused her of having sex with the guy. I know that’s how she took it. I knew she wouldn’t do that, but you know how I get when I get jealous. I think the worst of every thing. And I really overreacted.”

“You actually accused her of that?”

Justin hung his head, “Yeah.”

“What did she say?”

“She cried, and yelled at me, and then she told me to leave. This just pissed me off even more. So I stormed out of there. I was so jealous I couldn’t see straight, I was angry, and I was scared.”

“Scared of what?”

“I was scared of my feelings for her. That was the reason I kept popping my mouth off. After Melanie died I never expected to feel this way about a girl ever again. And I didn’t want too. But after meeting Ava it was kind of hard not to want to feel that way again especially if she was the girl I was to have feelings for. I mean who wouldn’t want to feel that way about Ava? She’s funny, smart, beautiful, and she loves my daughter. That alone is worth me giving it a go with her.”

“So why not?”

“Trace it’s only been three years since I lost Melanie. I loved her so much. So much that I felt like a part of me died with her. When I married her I married her with the intention of her being it for me for the rest of my life. In my mind I’m still married and I feel like even having feelings for Ava is betraying Melanie.”

“Have you ever looked at it from a different spectrum?” Trace asked.

“What do you mean? How else is there to see it?”

“Look at it this way. There’s no doubt in my mind that you loved Melanie, and that God sent her to you because she was what you needed at that time.” Trace said. “Or maybe you were HER soul mate, and your’s is still out there somewhere.”

“I don’t know. You make sense, but do you know how hard it is to wrap my head around that? She was it Trace.”

“I don’t know how to make you see it the way I do. I can’t even begin to understand what is you're going through on a day to day basis. And I know it can’t be easy. But don’t rule out love completely. Not yet at least.”

“I don’t want too. I’ve been going over it over and over in my mind and I’m starting to come around to the fact that I could possibly love again.” Justin said.

“Good. So are you going to tell Ava how you feel?”

Justin shrugged, “It’s the only way I can get her to understand why I said what I did.”

“Good. Well, I think me and the kid are gonna go the park. You need anything while we’re out?”

“Nah, I’m good.”

“Alright. We’ll be back in an hour.” Trace said as he entered the hallway leading to the living room.

Justin smiled at his child’s excitement of going to the park with her Uncle, and listened as they exited the house.

He finished up his biscuit and glanced at the magazine Trace was reading when he decided he should probably go get dressed and shower.

Once his shower was over it was already one o’clock and as he was making his way down the stairs dressed in a pair of jeans and a gray t-shirt he heard his doorbell ring.

He picked up his pace down the stairs and yelled out, “Coming!”

Not expecting company he peeked through the peep hole and saw Ava standing there. He breathed in deep before he opened the door, “Hey.” He said solemnly.

“Hey. I think we need to talk.”

“Yeah, I think you’re right. Come on in.” Justin said moving back so she could enter.

He didn’t even have the door closed all the way before he was met with her cold attitude, “Care to explain your little episode last night?” She asked as he turned around and was face to face with an angry Ava. He had never seen her angry before.

She had her arms crossed over her chest and one hip was cocked to the side. And she looked…well…she looked sexy.

He cleared his throat, “I, um, actually yes I do.”

“Well…I’m waiting.”

“What do you say we take this in the living room?”

“Sure, if that makes you more comfortable.” Ava said following him into his living room. He motioned for her to sit on the couch first before he sat himself.

Obviously a more comfortable setting didn’t ease her attitude. She still looked pissed.

“There was no excuse for the way I reacted last night. I was completely, COMPLETELY, out of line. And you didn’t deserve that. But to be honest with you I was jealous.”

“Jealous? Are you serious? I’ve seen jealousy before and I’ve never seen some react to it the way you did last night. It was completely uncalled for, and you said a lot of things that really hurt.”

“I know that. I do, and I know that you would never do those things that I accused you of. I know you better than that. But I was jealous, scared, and angry all rolled into one last night. And when I get like that I think the worst of everything.”

“You were scared? Scared of what?” Ava asked. She was beginning to slowly let her guard down.

Justin swallowed hard before he answered her last question, “I was scared of my feelings for you.”

Ava blinked hard but continued to listen, “I’ve liked you for quite a while now but I just couldn’t own up to it. I honestly didn’t know how to deal with these feelings so I kept pushing them aside and pushing them aside until I just couldn’t anymore. And I felt threatened by this guy. Kaci made him out to be everything that you were looking for, and so I immediately thought the worst and thought you’d fall in love with this guy in no time and where would that leave me?”

Shocked at his confession she was at a loss for words. Until she remembered what she came over here for…to let him know exactly how she felt. And his declaration of like wasn’t going to change that. It didn’t change the fact that what he said cut to the core. She wasn’t going to let his declaration blind her eyes to what happened last night and just let everything be forgotten. Some things can’t just be fixed with an 'I’m sorry' and then expect things to go right back to normal. Life just didn’t work that way.

Plus she couldn’t stand it when a man made her cry. And damn it! He made her cry.

“Do you expect me to just forgive you with that confession?” Ava asked.

Justin just looked at her, “No.” He said a little angry.

“Good because I’m not.”

“I don’t get you. I just sat here and poured my heart out to you about how I felt about you. And what do I get? Nothing!”

“Yeah that’s right. Because you made me mad Justin. I mean really mad.”

“I know this! And for that I’m sorry.”

“You were the whole reason I couldn’t even enjoy myself last night. And then I come home and you were the whole reason why I couldn’t relax. You just plain and simple made my night hell last night and I want you to know that.”

“How was I the cause of ruining your date?”

Toning her attitude down a notch and bringing her voice down about ten octaves she said, “Because all I thought about the whole time was you. About how I would much rather be hanging out with you or being anywhere but where I was with him. And he wasn’t that bad of a guy. He was actually a whole lot better than the other losers Kaci set me up with. Well, except for the fact that he continuously tried to cop a feel but I could let that slide. And I tried to let myself like him I really did. But he just wasn’t you.”

And if she hadn’t ever wanted to crawl under a rock before…she really wanted to now. She had to admit it was a lot easier admitting she liked him after he admitted he like her first. But there was still some embarrassment left there.

“I guess all I wanted was to let you know I was mad at you. And now that you know…well I guess I can let it go. Are we still friends?” She asked.

“Do you still want to be friends?”

She was completely shocked by his question. Of course she still wanted to be friends. She wasn’t going to let a moment of weakness change that, “Of course I do.”

Finally realizing how his question sounded he quickly corrected himself, “No, no, that’s not what I meant. I mean since we’ve both pretty much confessed we like each other would you feel more comfortable remaining friends or acting on these feelings?”

Ava was at a complete loss for words. Yes! She wanted to scream. She wanted to scream it so loudly, but she knew that it wasn’t her decision. He was the one that knew rather he was ready or not and he was the one that had a lot to lose. “I, I don’t know. What about you?”

Not saying anything Justin scooted closer to her.

And if Ava didn’t have her answer before she surely had it now as Justin placed his lips on hers.

She wrapped her arms around his neck and deepened the kiss by pushing his head closer to her own with the hand that rested at the base of his neck.

It had been so long since Justin had kissed someone. I mean really kissed someone. He was finally beginning to see what Trace was talking about. Just because he had feelings for another woman doesn’t change the way he felt about his wife. And he knew that Melanie would want him to move on. And for once in three years, he actually felt ready.
Is It A Good Kiss or Lack of Oxygen? : Chapter 14 by Jamie Lynn
Author's Notes:
I know, I know...FINALLY!
Ava had been kissed more than a few times in her life but suddenly those all seemed like distant memories. This all seemed like a dream. Maybe it was because the last thing she expected when coming over to Justin’s was to end up on his couch kissing. Maybe it was because the kiss had come so suddenly and without hesitation. Or maybe it was because he hadn't let her up for air for a good minute and the lack of oxygen was causing her brain to lose track of reality. Whatever the case, she knew for sure that no other first kiss had anything on this.

So much so she hadn’t heard the front door open and someone call out Justin’s name. The next thing she knew Justin abruptly pulled away from her and jumped from the couch, “Mom!”

Ava’s eyes grew wide and turned her head to confirm what she was hearing. Seeing Lynn Harless in the doorway of Justin’s living room killed the high that she was currently riding. She closed her eyes as if to wish herself some place other than where she was.

“I totally forgot about you coming in this week. Was your flight alright?” Justin asked as he tried his best to divert his mother’s attention from the girl on his couch and what she had just walked in on. But judging by the look on her face he was pretty sure his plan was failing.

“Yes, um, my flight was just fine.” Lynn said opening herself up for a hug from her son. Justin embraced her and she placed a kiss on his cheek. She cleared her throat obviously embarrassed at what she had just walked in on and began to speak again, “Are you going to introduce me?”

“Oh! Yeah Ava this is my mom Lynn Harless, Mom this is my uh, my um, my friend Ava.” He said reaching his hand out to help her stand from the couch.

The awkwardness level was at an all time high in the room and he wanted so bad to be any where but in this room. He felt his cheeks flush with embarrassment. He felt like he was back in High School again.

His hand remained in hers as she began to speak, “Hi Mrs. Harless. It’s nice to meet you. I’ve heard a lot about you.” She said offering her the best smile she could muster up under the amount of embarrassment she was experiencing.

Lynn returned the smile. She felt some what relieved that this girl wasn’t just some new random girl that had come into his life. She had spent the past three years worrying herself about her son choosing that destructive path of random women to replace that comfort he needed. It still didn’t lessen the shock of seeing her son kissing another woman on the couch, “It’s nice to meet you too, Ava. I think I hear more about you than anyone when I talk to my granddaughter on the phone. She really adores you.” Lynn said as she embraced Ava in a hug.

As awkward as the situation was it didn’t take away Lynn’s manners and she didn’t want her to be uncomfortable around her.

Ava smiled at the mention of Olivia, “I adore her as well. She’s an excellent little girl.”

“That she is. But of course as her grandmother I automatically have bragging rights.” Lynn said as she laughed joined by Ava.

“Of course you do!” Ava said smiling. And just like that it felt as if the embarrassment level had come down quite a few notches.

“Well, Justin, if you’ll tell me what room I’ll be staying in I’ll take my bags up.”

Justin being the gentleman his mother raised him to be immediately objected, “No Mom I’ll take them up.” He said as he began to start out the door but was soon stopped by his mother’s hand on his chest pushing him back gently.

“No, no, I’ll be fine. I can get them by myself. I really don’t have that much.” Lynn said, “Besides you have company and you can’t be rude. I am perfectly capable of carrying my own bags, but thank you for offering.” Lynn said as she threw another smile in Ava’s direction, “It was very nice to meet you.”

Ava smiled back at her, “You too.”

Lynn threw a knowing glance at her son, and walked into the foyer where her bags were and made her way up the stairs.

Justin rubbed a hand over his head and laughed, “For a second there I felt like I was a teenager again.”

Ava smiled, “Something tells me you got caught on more than one occasion.”

“Something like that.” Justin said smiling. He walked back over to his couch and sat down and patted the cushion next to him for Ava to sit on, “I think we need to talk.”

Ava sat down and pushed some hair behind her ears, “Yeah we do.”

Justin smiled and shook his head, “If you would have asked me less than two months ago if I would be in a relationship I would have told you no. But then I met you.”

Ava smiled, “I didn’t do anything but be your friend.”

“I know and I think that’s what made it so much easier to admit that I like you. And if you’re willing and patient enough I would like to start a relationship with you.”

“I’m very willing. And we can take it as slow as we need too.”

“Slow is good. I think it’s the only speed I can go.” Justin said as he grabbed her hand and held it in his.

More than a month ago he would have never believed you if you told him that he would be starting a relationship with someone other than his wife. It just didn’t seem possible. He didn’t know when he began to move on but somewhere along the line he began to heal. And he knew that it had everything to do with Ava, a woman that fate kept pushing in his direction. And had it not been for her he didn’t know where he would be right now and it certainly wouldn’t be on his couch holding her hand.

Ava removed her hand from his and pushed some hair behind her ear and began to stand, “I should probably go. Your mom is here and I know she wants to spend some time with you.”

“You don’t have to.” Justin replied quickly.

Ava smiled, “Yeah, I do. You and I both need some time to process what just happened here.” She said as she shoved her hands in the back pockets of her jeans, “Walk me out?” She asked as she motioned toward the door of the living room leading into the foyer.

Justin stood and led her out of the living room and out to her car. She opened her door and threw her keys in her seat.

“Do you work tomorrow?”

“Yeah I’ve got a late night tomorrow. I work from 3-11.”

“Well how about you call me and tell me when you’re taking your dinner and Olivia and I will come see you.”

Ava smiled, “That sounds wonderful. I’d really like that.”

“So it’s a date?” Justin asked as he moved closer to Ava.

“It’s a date.” Ava said as she laughed and got into her car. Justin closed her door as she started her car, and rolled down the window.

“Call me tonight?”

“What time?”

“Anytime is fine with me.”

“Sounds like a plan. I believe I made quite the first impression with your mom.”

Justin laughed, “Don’t worry about her. She was probably more surprised than anything.” He leaned his head further in and placed a kiss on her cheek, “I’ll let you get out of here.”

Ava smiled and started her car, “See you later.”

“Bye.” Justin said as he began to step away from her car. Ava waved as she put her car in reverse and began to back out of his drive way. He watched until she was out of sight and then walked back into his house.

He closed his door behind him and heard steps coming from the stairs. He turned around and found his mother standing on the bottom step of his stair case.

“Did you get settled in?” Justin asked as he walked over to his mother and placed a kiss on her cheek.

“Yes I did.” Lynn said with a smile as she stepped off the step and walked into the kitchen willing her son to follow behind her. “So is there something you want to tell me?” She asked as she opened the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water.

“How much I’ve missed you? Because I don’t think I’ve told you that.” Justin said throwing on his charm.

Lynn smiled a sarcastic smile at her son and opened her bottle of water, “I’m your mother that doesn’t work on me. Although I am glad you missed me. But what I’m talking about is Ava. Who is she?”

“A girl I know.”

“I know that much. I mean what is she too you?”

“She’s a girl that I like…very much.”

“I would hope so. I don’t like to think you make out with just any girl. Why are you avoiding the subject?” She asked as she took a drink of her water.

“Because we’ve just started something and I don’t want to make it into something it’s not.”

Lynn smiled, “You’re such a girl when it comes to these issues.”

“Mom!”

“Well you are honey. Is she your girlfriend or not? Easy question.”

“No, yes…I don’t know. We just admitted we liked each other like five minutes before you walked in the door.”

“I had no clue you were even thinking about dating again.”

Justin shrugged, “I don’t know. I guess I’m just tried of being alone.”

Lynn reached over and grabbed her son’s hand, “I know honey. And I think it’s good for you. I wanted to tell you all along to try dating again, but I just didn’t want to push the issue. I knew you had to deal with it in your own terms.”

“I don’t know mom. It was never my intention to start anything with her. I had been having feelings for her for a while now. And I tried to push them away.”

“Well you know when you try to push feelings aside you’re really just letting it grow.” Lynn said.

“Yeah I know. Last night she went out on a date that her roommate set her up with and I got blindingly jealous. I said a lot of things that really hurt her, and I really thought I messed things up.”

“I guess I walked in when you were fixing things?”

Justin laughed, “You’re right.”

“So you like her?”

“A lot. And looking back now I’ve liked her all along I just didn’t want to admit it. But how could I not like her? She’s beautiful, she has a wonderful personality, and she’s so amazing with Olivia.”

Lynn smiled, “Livvie seems to really adore her.”

“She does. All she talks about is Mrs. Ava.”

“This is going to be a lot of change for her.”

“I know. And Ava understands why we’re going slow.”

“Good, I think that’s probably best for you right now.”

Sure she was happy that her son was finally making the step to get out of the darkness that had surrounded his life for the past three years. But she also knew that he didn’t need to rush into anything either. She knew how much her son loved Melissa. For as long as they were together the moon rose and set in Melissa’s eyes and she honestly believed that part of him died with her.

She was beginning to believe that he would never love again. Much less even date. So it was a huge shocker for her to walk in on her son making out with a girl.

Ava seemed like a wonderful girl. And she knew she would grow to like her as much as her son.

But in a way she felt sorry for Ava. Because somewhere along the line he was going to have let Melissa go in order for his relationship with Ava to further. And she wasn’t so sure he was going to do that easily.
Things Are Finally Starting To Look Up : Chapter 15 by Jamie Lynn
Author's Notes:
Been a long time hasn't it. Well hopefully you guys enjoy it. I'm sorry it took so long!
Chapter 15


“So how’d it go?” Kaci asked looking up from her magazine.

“Well, I guess you could say it went pretty good.”

“Good as in you guys made up and are still friends or good as in you had hot steamy sex?”

Ava laughed and fell into the couch beside her friend, “Good as in we made up and are still friends, but…”

“I could hear a but coming.” Kaci said as she put her magazine down on the table and turned to face her friend.

Ava laughed and closed her eyes, “You’re not going to believe this.” She said as she threw her head back against the cushions of her couch.

“What? What happened?”

“He kissed me. I mean really kissed me.” She said with a huge smile on her face.

“You whore!” Kaci said laughing, “I thought you were going over there to give him a piece of your mind. But no you end up making out with the guy. Was it good?”

“Yes it was.” She said laughing with her, “I did give him a piece of my mind though. But he apologized and confirmed your suspicions of jealousy. And I don’t know it all seemed like it happened so fast.”

“So what’s going on with you guys now?”

“I don’t know. He said he’d like to start a relationship with me, and we’re going to take things slow. Which I think is a good thing. He’s got a little girl to think about and other obvious things.”

Kaci smiled and took Ava’s hand in hers, “I’m so happy for you. I really think you’re going to be good for him. After everything that’s happened in his life I think he finally deserves something good.”

“I met his mom.”

“His mom is here?”

“Yeah, she sort of walked in on me and Justin kissing.” Ava said as she bit her bottom lip in embarrassment.

Kaci threw her head back in laughter, “What a way to make a first impression!”

“I know. But she took it with ease. It was almost as if she had been through it before.”

“I imagine she caught a lot of girls in awkward positions with her son.” Kaci said smiling at her friend’s happiness.

“I’m sure she has.” Ava said as she pulled herself off the couch and started toward the kitchen. She looked in the direction of their dining room table and saw a fresh pail of envelopes. Clearly the mail had come while she was out.
Opening the refrigerator she asked, “Anything good come in the mail today?”

Kaci soon followed her into the kitchen and took a seat at the counter. Ava grabbed a bottle of water and closed the fridge behind her.

“I got my grades in.” Kaci said.

Ava smiled at her, “So how’d it go?”

Kaci looked solemn for a moment and the broke into a smile, “I passed!”

Ava squealed in excitement and gathered her friend into a hug, “Kaci! I’m so happy for you.”

“I know me too. I just knew that I failed my psych class. That test was super hard. But I aced it!”

“Kaci that’s awesome. I knew you could do it.” Ava’s head turned in the direction of her ringing cell phone and walked over to the foyer table. She groaned when she saw the caller id.
She walked back into the kitchen with her phone in hand, “What a way to kill the awesome mood.” She said and flipped it open, “Hello?”

“Hello sweetie. How are you?”

She rolled her eyes at Kaci, who smiled sympathetically, “I’m doing great mom. What about you?”

“Oh you can stop with the fake concern, Ava. I’m not calling to grill you about your love life.” Ava’s mom, Beth, said into the phone.
Beth wasn’t dense she knew how much her daughter hated her constant nagging of her current relationship status. She had been in Ava’s position herself once before, but she just couldn’t help it.

Ava laughed at her mom, “Well, I can’t imagine any other reason you’d be calling.”

“I was actually calling to let you know about Christmas. I’m sure you’ve talked to your brother by now?”

“Yes, I have actually. He filled me in.”

“Good. So I was going to tell you that we’re planning to have our Christmas this weekend.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Mom, that’s way too soon.”

“Honey, have you looked at a calendar lately?”

“Yes.”

“Then you must realize that Christmas is next week.”

Ava sighed, “Damn.”

“Judging by your reaction I’m guessing you have nothing ready?”

“You would be right.”

“Well, I suggest you get on the ball. You’re going to need to pick up the kids on Thursday.”

Ava groaned at how much she had to get done in a little time span. Today was Monday, which left her three shopping days plus what she had left of today to get everyone bought for. Her brothers weren’t the easiest people to buy for so she was definitely leaving them last.
“Ok.”

“So, are you going to be bringing anyone with you this time?”

Ava smiled but rolled her eyes at the question, “I don’t know maybe.”

“Well, I guess there is hope for you yet. Are you going to tell me about it?”

“If you haven’t realized I have a lot of shopping to do so I better get to it.” Ava said as her mother laughed.

“I can take a hint. You’ll tell me when you’re ready right?”

“Of course, I will. I’ll talk to you later, mom.”

“Good bye honey. I love you.”

“Love you too.” Ava said as she flipped her phone closed. She turned and looked at Kaci, “Are you up for a shopping spree?”

“Have you ever known me to turn that down?” Kaci asked as she slid off her stool and found her shoes. “I’m guessing you have Christmas shopping to tackle before this weekend?”

“You caught that huh?” Ava asked as she gathered up her keys and her purse and shoved her phone in the back pocket of her jeans.

“Yes. I’m glad it’s you and not me.” Kaci said as she followed her friend out their door.








“Daddy you cheated!” Olivia exclaimed.

“I did not!”

“Yes you did! Me saw you peeking.” Olivia said as her hands found their place on her hips. For the past hour he, Olivia, and his mother had been engaged in a game of hide and seek.
So he might have taken a little peek a while ago, but he didn’t think it had been that obvious.

“Ok, ok. I’m sorry, you caught me.”

“It ok Daddy. Me forgive you.”

“Well, I’m glad munchkin. Now we just got to find Nana.”

Olivia’s eyes lit up as Lynn turned the corner to steal base, “There her is Daddy!” Olivia squealed.

Justin turned to go after his mom but Lynn had touched base just as Justin had reached her.

“Yay, Nana wins!” Olivia squealed clapping her hands excitedly, “We play again?” She asked

Lynn smiled, “I think Nana and Daddy need a break. Why don’t we go play Barbie’s or something?” She asked as she motioned for her granddaughter to follow her into the living room.

“Can we have a tea party?” Justin heard his daughter ask from inside his living room. He smiled as he began to walk up the stairs to his room.

He threw himself onto his bed and reached over to grab his cell phone. He stared at it for a few minutes debating on whether or not to call her.
He still couldn’t get his brain to wrap around what had happened earlier that day. He still didn’t know what he expected getting back into the dating world but he knew somehow it wouldn’t seem so bad with her. It was scary putting himself out there again. But he knew that she understood that slow was the only speed he could handle right now. She knew everything that would probably make another woman run in the other direction, yet she embraced it.

Throwing caution to the wind he dialed the now familiar number and waited until he heard her on the other end, “Hello?” he heard her say.

“Hey you.” He said as she fell back into one of his pillows.

He heard her sigh and if he wasn’t mistaken he could detect a smile in her response, “Hey yourself. You’re just the break I needed.”

Justin scrunched his face in confusion, “Where are you at?”

She sighed and answered, “Shopping.”

“You sound like you don’t want to be doing it.”

“You’re correct. Well this kind of shopping anyway.”

Justin laughed and realized what kind of shopping she was talking about. Christmas. He loved shopping for Christmas and he was actually almost through with everyone on his list.

“You must be a last minute person.” He said

“Sort of. And I kind of have to have all my shopping done and wrapped by Thursday or my mother will have my head.” She said.

“Why Thursday?” He asked.

“That’s when I leave to go up to my mom’s house for Christmas.”

He kind of pouted at that, “So I guess I won’t get to see you for few days, huh?”

“Nope. I’d ask you tag along but I know it’s a little too soon for that plus your mom is in.”

Justin chuckled, “Your right. Although I would like to meet your family.”

“Well I wouldn’t want to kill your holiday spirits so I’ll wait and subject you to that torture later.” She said as he laughed.

“They’re not that bad.” He said

Ava laughed, “No they’re not. I love my family. I promise you’ll get to meet them.”

“Why are you having Christmas so early?”

He definitely didn’t miss the hostility in her voice when she replied, “Because of my evil ex-sister in law. She’s not letting my brother, Cooper, have the kids this Christmas. Even though it’s his turn to have them on Christmas day.”

“Is that Curly Q?” He heard Kaci ask in the background.

“Yes it is.” He heard Ava say, “Kaci says hi.”

“Tell her hello for me too. I take it you don’t too much care for your sister in law.

“EX sister in law, and you would be right. Anyway, I have to pick up my niece and nephew on Thursday at her house and then head down to San Diego…”

Justin smiled to himself as he listened to her go on and on about the eventful week she had ahead of her. It had been a long time since he felt this way about a girl. Since they put everything out in the open this morning it seemed like his feeling for her seemed to come easier. Well, easier for him to accept. Before he just wanted to push them back the moment those thoughts of her popped in his brain, but it wasn’t long until those thoughts clouded his brain.
She didn’t make it hard to like her. She was beautiful, understanding, and loved his daughter. Maybe it was a little easier with her because she knew what it was like to lose someone close to her. Until you’ve been through that fog yourself it’s hard for other people to understand exactly where you’re walking. Seeing her relatively moving on with her life without her father makes him see that maybe he can move on with his life too.

“Are you there?” He heard her ask.

He cleared his throat and chuckled, “Yeah. I’m here.”

She smiled as well, “You weren’t listening to anything I said were you?”

“Yes I was.”

“Then tell me what I just said?”

“Ok you got me. But I wasn’t doing it intentionally.”

“Sure, you weren’t. It’s ok I’ll let it slide.”

“Listen, one of the reasons I called was to ask you if you wanted to come over for dinner.”

“Does your mom mind?”

“No she’s the one that came up with idea.”

“You mean she doesn’t judge on first impressions?”

Justin laughed, “Ava, she doesn’t think bad of you at all believe me. She’s walked in on worse.”

“Well that just makes me feel better.” Ava said laughing.

“Why don’t you come on over and make a better second impression. Besides Olivia is about to drive me insane about wanting to see you.”

Ava smiled at the mention of the little girl, “Well since you threw the Olivia card down how could I refuse. What time?”

“6:00 ok?”

“That’s perfect.”

“Alright I’ll see you then right?”

“Yes you will. Bye Justin.”

“Bye Ava.” Justin said as he flipped his phone shut.

His head turned in the direction of his door and saw his mother standing in the doorway. She saw him motion her to come in further and she followed, “Was that Ava?” she asked as she sat down on the bed across from him.

Justin smiled, “Yes it was.”

“Is she coming over for dinner?”

“Yes. I told her 6:00. I think she’s really embarrassed about this afternoon.”

Lynn laughed, “Well then that just shows she’s a normal person. I would have been too, but I’m sure she’s a very nice girl. I can’t wait to get to know her.”

“Me neither.” Justin said as he looked up at the ceiling.

It was silent between them for a moment and he looked back over at his mother who was staring at him, “What?” he asked.

“Nothing, I’m just glad to see you getting back out there.” She said as she patted his hand. “I know it’s not the same, but I do know how you feel. After your father and I got divorced I thought I’d never date again. I thought I’d never even feel love again, but then Paul came along.” She said as she smiled, “And he changed it all for me. I know what I went through isn’t exactly what you’re going through with Melanie, but in a way it is. I mourned the death of my marriage the same way you’re mourning the death of your wife. It’s not an easy thing to overcome. It’s so easy to get consumed by grief.”

Justin sighed, “It really is.”

“I was so scared you were headed down that road. And to be honest I really think you already were. I know it’s hard, and I can’t imagine feeling the pain that you’ve been feeling.”

“How did you know it was the right time when Paul came into the picture?”

Lynn laughed, “I don’t know sweetie. I guess the same way I knew it was right with your father.” She said. Lynn looked at her son and grabbed his hand in hers. She looked down at it and rubbed it lovingly before looking back up at her son, “You know sometimes love finds you when you’re not even looking for it. That’s the way it was with Paul and I. I mean we were friends for a long time and then it was like this light bulb switched on and it was like my brain said ‘There he is.’”

“That’s kind of the same with Ava.” Justin said, “I mean not saying that I love her already because I don’t. Well not in that way, but still, I just wasn’t looking for this with her. When I first met her I was honest about my intentions, I just wanted a friend. And I believe that’s how it started with her too. But the more I got to know her it was just inevitable. She knows what it’s like to walk in the fog I’ve been walking in, and that really makes it a lot easier to know that she understands.”

Lynn smiled, “She seems like a real amazing person.”

Justin smiled, “She really is. She’s been an amazing friend to me.”

Lynn smiled at her son and leaned closer to him and placed a kiss on his cheek, “I better go get dinner started. Livvie is down for a nap right now so try to be as quiet as possible.” She said as she got off the bed.

“I think I might do the same.” Justin said as he started to roll over but stopped and called to his mother, “Mom?”

Lynn stopped at the door and turned back around, “Yes honey?”

He smiled at her, “I’m glad we had this talk. You really helped. I don’t know why we didn’t have this talk sooner.”

She smiled back, “Me neither, honey. I’m glad I could help.” She said as she walked out the door and down the stairs.

Justin rolled over and looked at the picture on his nightstand. He reached out and grabbed it and traced his finger across their faces. It was a picture taken five years ago on their wedding day. She looked so beautiful that day, and he remembered he was so nervous. About what he didn’t really know, he just knew he felt like he was going to be sick at any moment that day. But once he saw her walking down that aisle he was suddenly calm, and he knew why he was standing there. And the butterflies that were once dancing in his stomach weren’t dancing out of nervousness anymore. They were dancing out of excitement. At that moment the best album he ever made topping the charts couldn’t even top the feeling he felt at that moment knowing that that woman was all his for the rest of his life. If he never made another bestselling album for the rest of his life he was fine with that.

Even though their time together was short the love that they shared went beyond time. But he knew now that there was space in his heart for more. He knew that she would forever have that space in his heart that no other woman could fill, but that didn’t mean another one couldn’t have another space. And for the first time in three years he was finally ready to have it filled. He was tired of being lonely, but he knew he’d never forget Melanie. He couldn’t ever when she lived on in their daughter.

“Things are finally beginning to look up.” He said to himself and to the picture.

He knew that she’d want him to move on, and he knew she’d be so proud of him. They had even discussed it before she had died, although neither one of them knew what lied ahead. But knowing that he knew that made it a little easier.

He placed a kiss on the picture and set it back on the nightstand.

He closed his eyes and smiled knowing that he was finally back in the land of the living.
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=209