Tell Your Heart To Beat Again by acciolovesong
Past Featured StorySummary:

 ***ON HIATUS***

JC Chasez has fallen into a depression after his career has gone downhill. Then life decides to throw in an ultimate cruel twist of fate, which causes him to question his identity and purpose. A character from his past returns and tries to lift his spirits. Will he find the strength to fight back?

2013 NSYNC Fiction Nominee:

Best JC Characterization

Intriguing Work In Progress

Remarkable Multi-Part 

Story Spotlight 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: JC Chasez
Awards: Season 7
Genres: Drama
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 29 Completed: No Word count: 71015 Read: 36525 Published: Sep 17, 2012 Updated: Mar 06, 2016

1. Chapter 1 by acciolovesong

2. Chapter 2 by acciolovesong

3. Chapter 3 by acciolovesong

4. Chapter 4 by acciolovesong

5. Chapter 5 by acciolovesong

6. Chapter 6 by acciolovesong

7. Chapter 7 by acciolovesong

8. Chapter 8 by acciolovesong

9. Chapter 9 by acciolovesong

10. Chapter 10 by acciolovesong

11. Chapter 11 by acciolovesong

12. Chapter 12 by acciolovesong

13. Chapter 13 by acciolovesong

14. Chapter 14 by acciolovesong

15. Chapter 15 by acciolovesong

16. Chapter 16 by acciolovesong

17. Chapter 17 by acciolovesong

18. Chapter 18 by acciolovesong

19. Chapter 19 by acciolovesong

20. Chapter 20 by acciolovesong

21. Chapter 21 by acciolovesong

22. Chapter 22 by acciolovesong

23. Chapter 23 by acciolovesong

24. Chapter 24 by acciolovesong

25. Chapter 25 by acciolovesong

26. Chapter 26 by acciolovesong

27. Chapter 27 by acciolovesong

28. Chapter 28 by acciolovesong

29. Chapter 29 by acciolovesong

Chapter 1 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Only thing I own is my original characters: Jenna and Kent Timbrook. This story is for entertainment purposes only.

I used a lyric from Until Yesterday in the last paragraph. JC said something about this in an interview  and I got the idea from that. 

Chapter 1

The misty dawn peaked through the windows one gloomy Tuesday. The light outlined the figure of a young man fretting under the navy covers. His deep set piercing blue eyes were closed, unbeknownst to the world around him temporarily. Stubble lined his roundish face; he hadn’t shaved in several days because he’d stayed home and saw no reason to clean up. His almost jet black hair was a color decision made after seeing his first gray hair a few years ago.

Life hadn’t turned out the way JC Chasez had planned. His first attempt at releasing a solo cd fell to pieces due to lack of support at the record label and a manager who didn’t help matters. A few years later he started a second called ‘Kate’. The record label made it clear they wouldn’t help him release it. That shot his confidence. He didn’t want to repeat the ordeal of the first record, so he decided to abandon the project. He switched over to acting and judging a TV dance competition. Even that had fallen through after he got into several arguments with one of the other judges and decided to leave on a whim. The past few months, he’d fallen into a depression, choosing not to deal with the reality of a career in shambles. He struggled getting out his bed day after day, not seeing the point of living. Even with all the luxuries of what little celebrity he had left, he felt lonely and isolated.

He let out a low cough. This triggered a machine gun like chain of a coughing fit that seemed to originate from somewhere deep inside. He awoke, struggling to breathe. He’d woken up like this several times recently. He figured it was only allergies; usually the attacks happened when he first woke up or was trying to sleep. He knew he should get it checked out, but didn’t want to. Everything else had gone wrong lately; he didn’t need anything else on top of it these days.

After the fit subsided, he lay still and glanced at the increasingly gray and dull view outside his window. I don’t want to get up. It’s too dark out there. It does match my mood, though.

But maybe this will be the day something will turn around.
I doubt it. It hasn’t happened yet.
You don’t know unless you try, do you?JC groaned. This was the battle he fought in his head every day. The minute encouraging voice versus the monstrous depression. He couldn’t pinpoint a direct cause of this bout of depression. No single event had trigged it. As a result all the color had drained out of life. He existed but didn’t truly live. He was a shell of his former self. Someone who was happy, outgoing yet reserved and truly loved his craft. He truly loved being creative, figuring out different ways to tell a story through song, singing and sharing that with an audience. But he let others kill that desire. Loved ones told him not to let naysayers infringe on his dreams. Yet when the powers that be trample and squash his dreams twice, he found it hard to find the strength to fight back a third time.

 His buzzing iPhone jarred him out of his thoughts. He glanced at the number that belonged to his friend and manager, Eric. I’m not talking to you right now, dude. Eric could be the nicest person on earth at times but he had an insufferable temper and aggressive streak. JC was convinced he had somewhat to do his shattered career. But because of his docile nature, Eric stuck around. JC was terrible at confrontation and avoided it at all costs.

He ran his hand across his prickly face. He usually liked to keep a clean shaven look and the length would have normally not gotten this long. Come on Chasez, you can do this. Get up and look like a decent human being for once. He yawned and stretched. Slowly his feet met the floor and then his body stood vertical. That’s it. Now get to the bathroom.

 One long shower and a shaved face later, JC felt a little bit better. That’s the way it is with me these days. Once I do something productive, I usually feel okay. Yet getting there is near impossible. He decided to head downstairs to attempt song writing on his piano. 

He went downstairs to his living room. The TV was still on from last night He didn’t remember it being on; however his memory proved hazy these days. The sound was turned down and appeared to be on some kind of tabloid news show. This baffled him even more; he hated the paparazzi with a passion and they were part of the reason he didn’t want to be in the spotlight anymore. He shrugged and sat down at the piano.

 All the stars come out for last night’s premiere of the new action flick “Valley of the Sun”. Cast members including Tom Cruise, Minka Kelly, Chase Crawford and Kent Timbrook signed autographs for fans and posed for photographs. Kent seemed particularly excited for the release. “This role is a bit of a departure for me. I get to play the bad guy!” He said with a laugh.

 Kent Timbrook? Why does that name sound familiar? JC had met Kent a few times during different industry events. He felt neutral about the guy. The conversation hadn’t gone much past the “Hey, what’s up man? How’s life?” spiel. He had a sister, too. What was her name? Jennifer? No. Jenna.

He remembered Jenna. She was one of the few people who believed in ‘Kate’. She worked in the public relations department at Jive. They’d talked about his inspiration and she understood why he took the sound in a particular direction. He wanted make an album with substance and find new ways to present trite concepts. She was the new one in the office and outnumbered so it didn’t override the majority. But he was thankful for her faith. If only he could find her now. He’d never really fully voiced his appreciation for her.

 If only more people like Jenna existed in the record business. Most of the people at Jive wanted him to conform to what was on the radio so they could make oodles of money. JC didn’t believe in that. There wasn’t enough emphasis on voice and too much on one repetitive hook that would get stuck in your head for days on end. Not everyone wanted that. Why couldn’t you something that was aurally pleasing but also made you think? Instead of saying “I hate you because you hurt me”, why not say “I loved you all the way until yesterday”? JC knew he was dreaming. Even if fans like that existed, he didn’t have the resources or the desire to produce the record anymore. He didn’t want his dreams trampled on a third time. Might as well go see what Eric wants. 

Chapter 2 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

 This story is for entertainment purposes only. 

Thank you to everyone who has read the story :) It means a lot to me. I'm basing this somewhat on my own battle with depression and if I can lift the stigma even a little bit, I'm satisfied. 

I originally had this chapter going in a slightly different direction but that material's been moved to chapter 3. I hope you all like this. Comments and constructive criticism are welcome! 

Chapter 2

JC stepped into his Mercedes-Benz a half an hour later. He needed to get away from the deafening silence of his mansion and Eric wanted to do lunch. They hadn’t seen one another since JC quit the TV show a few weeks ago. JC knew he would be bombarded with questions about why he left; he’d been avoiding this meeting for that specific reason. Alas, he couldn’t do it forever. Maybe Eric would get off his back after today. He sighed. Yeah, like that’s going to happen. He’s part of the reason I feel this way right now.

Eric had a brilliant mind; his master’s degree was in Business Management from Stanford. Then how could someone so smart be such a douche? He hadn’t done JC any favors as his manager; the guy had gotten into numerous heated arguments with record executives over the content of Schizophrenic. One executive in particular thought the album was “too sexy and no one wants to buy a sex record from a washed out boybander”. Eric has cursed the guy out while pointing out the record was not just about sex; JC had also written songs about the many facets of relationships. He wished Eric hadn’t been so abrasive about making his point; after that conversation, things really seemed to go downhill.

I thought I was getting out of the house to get my mind off my troubles. Yet at every corner, something reminded him of the crushing depression. Sometimes he felt like a prisoner inside his own mind. No matter what he did, he couldn’t break open the lock on the mental door because of the illness. That’s what others didn’t understand. Clinical depression wasn’t cured with a mere snap of a finger.  At times, it was a war to do even the simplest of tasks. JC figured Eric wouldn’t understand; his friend always bragged about any accolade he had, however minute.

He groaned. Remind me why I agreed to this again?

You need to get this over with. You need to talk to him. He sighed in resignation and got out of the car.

A lanky guy with disheveled black hair and tanned skin awaited him in front of the little café. He was intensely focused on his iPhone at the moment; JC hoped he wouldn’t check his texts and emails every five seconds but he knew that was not likely.  At times, JC wondered why he kept Eric around as a friend. If he was being truly honest with himself, it was familiarity. It was comfortable and he knew what to expect. He could control the doses of Eric’s personality he could handle. Truth be told, JC didn’t get all that much out of the friendship; the guy was capable of intelligent and undivided conversations every once and awhile, but he couldn’t remember the last time that happened. Months. Maybe even years. One of JC’s biggest problems was confronting people when he wasn’t happy with them. He’d been like that since he could remember; someone had to reach in the darkest places of his being to evoke a reaction.

Eric looked up from his phone. “It’s about time, C! How are ya, man?”

“I’m making it.” They did a one-armed hug. “How about yourself?”

“Oh, just fantastic. I had a date last night.” He flashed that million watt smile that JC was sure had charmed dozens of women in the past.

JC raised an eyebrow. “And?”

“It was great! I see it going somewhere.”

You say that every time. “What’s so different?”

“I don’t know. She’s just special.”

Remind me why I’m here again. The duo sat down at a small table near the back for privacy.

Eric then furrowed his brow. “What the hell were you thinking? You had a good standing on that show aside from the arguments with that doofus judge.”

JC cringed inwardly. Even though he found D-Trix annoying at times, he couldn’t stand others talking bad about him. The disagreements hadn’t been that intense at first, only differences in opinion about the performance. But one day D-Trix contradicted one of JC’s critiques and said “unlike my stuffy colleague here.” He took that the wrong way and that set off an intense barb fest. Even he was surprised after his resignation sunk in. It was almost like he wasn’t in his right mind.  “I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know? You had to be thinking something!”

“Dude, I’m being serious. I don’t know. It was on a whim. D-Trix said the stuffy comment and something snapped inside of me. I’m not entirely sure it had to do with him. Anyway, I left. Why do you need a reason?”

“Well” Eric stated in a matter of fact tone, “As your manager, media outlets have been hounding me for any comments from you regarding this fiasco. The show released a PR statement saying you had ‘creative differences’ but everyone knows that’s the bullshit answer.”

JC shrugged. “I don’t owe anyone an explanation, aside from the people I trust. The public and media don’t fall in that category.”

“You’re a celebrity. You should have known people would notice. Next thing you know, they’ll be writing about you having a stage five mental breakdown or something.”

That enraged JC. Normally, he never paid attention to gossip stories about himself. The last thing he needed was someone worrying about what everyone else thought. What about him? Didn’t Eric care about him as a person? Apparently not. “What if I don’t give a shit, Eric? I’m having a hard time right now. And what’s the first thing you ask me? ‘Why did you do it?’ to get people off your ass. Maybe you should have asked me how I was.”

“I did ask!” Eric snorted.

“Yeah, but it wasn’t one of those genuine ones. There’s a difference.”

Razor sharp silence followed. Eric’s frown showed he wasn’t expecting such hostility. JC felt terrible for his response, but at the same time he had long term resentment that he hadn’t addressed.

“Well, you want to go somewhere to get your mind off it?” Eric finally asked a few moments later.

“Is there any events going on soon?”

Eric raised his eyebrow. “Why?”

JC sighed and took a swing of beer. “If I’m going to tell the public anything about this, it’s going to be on my terms. I haven’t been able to do that in my solo career.”

“Fair enough” He picked up his phone “The Westin Hotel in LA is hosting a gala for music education fundraising tonight. You believe in that stuff.”

“Done. I’ll go.”

“Are you sure?” His tone was softer.

“Yes.” JC answered tersely. Your window of caring closed a long time ago, buddy.

 

Chapter 3 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Only characters I own are original ones such as Jenna Timbrook and Damon Fouty. This story is for entertainment purposes only. 

This chapter frustrated me to end for some reason. I have no idea why. It didn't seem to end. I hope you all like it :D Constructive criticism and comments are always welcome! Thank you all so much for reading this. I hope you are enjoying it so far. 


Chapter 3
JC flopped onto his queen sized bed. That went well. I expected nothing less. Eric was only interested in his image and keeping the media from calling him all the time. He (and the record label for that matter) didn’t care about JC as a person, only a commodity; commodities get abandoned when they are no longer useful. JC knew that. He couldn’t repeat the same destructive decisions and expect different results. Life doesn’t work that way. Yet he continued the cycle because he didn’t have the will to fight the toxic energies in his life.
He wasn’t always submissive. JC used to call people out if he felt mistreated. After a particularly heated discussion with a few Jive executives, he’d turned over a table in frustration and left the room. He didn’t remember what about; only that he felt disrespected and couldn’t stand it any further. When rumors circulated that Eva, a former girlfriend, was cheating on him with a famous basketball player, he’d confronted her about it. She lied straight to his face multiple times. Finally, he walked in on them at her house. He turned around and never looked back. He could swallow the truth easier than a blatant or malicious lie.

Music had always been there through the hard times. He could channel his emotions into song and make something beautiful out of something painful. Sharing his work with an audience while connecting with an audience via his words, made the negative aspects of celebrity worth it. If he was being honest with himself, he missed performing. He missed that feeling of being appreciated for who he was as an artist. He missed seeing the fans’ faces light up as he sang a song they knew and loved. He wished he had the courage to release another album. But his confidence had been shattered after the run-ins with Jive. Besides, they owned the master tapes for ‘Kate’ and he didn’t feel like fighting for their custody. Truly, he didn’t have the strength to fight for anything now. He hated the soulless being he’d become; if only something or someone could revive his passion and vivacity. For tonight at least, he had to put on a brave face and provide answers to questions he didn’t know himself.

-

A limo pulled up in JC’s driveway a few hours later. Eric, you didn’t have to do that. I wanted to sneak in the back door of the party. But since when has he listened to me? He studied his reflection one more time. His black suit and white shirt ensemble depicted a man put together. Of course, this was a lie, but the public didn’t need to know that. He coughed from somewhere deep inside. Oh shit, please don’t start now. Luckily it subsided after a second. He grabbed his wallet and headed out to join his ride.
“Impressive, no?” Eric asked as JC crawled in the leather seat opposite him.
Yeah, real impressive. He didn’t respond and reached over for a glass of wine.
“Have you thought about what you’ll say?”
JC shook his head. “Not really. Why?”
His manager scoffed. “Surely you must have a plan. You don’t want to fly off the cuff, do you?”
More or less. “So what if I do?”
“You’re in the public eye; you’re supposed to care what others think.”
He shook his head. “No, I’m not. It screws with your mind if you read what the gossip rags say about you. They don’t care as long as they can make money off you. That’s when celebrities get big egos because they put too much stock into that stuff.”
“You dated that journalist and how did that work out for you?”
JC snarled. That really shows your character right there, dude. “Let’s not go there right now. Anyway, the only reason I’m here is to clear the air so you’ll quit harping me about it. I’m only giving one interview, end of discussion. And if you think you can coach me on what to say, you’ve got another thing coming.”
Razor sharp silence lingered the rest of the way to the hotel. JC couldn’t wait to arrive. All he wanted to do was a quick interview and have a few glasses of wine. And possibly forget about the pain. Socializing with others who were halfway decent should do the trick.

The blinding flash of the cameras greeted him as he stepped out of the vehicle. The photographers were shouting his name in every direction. He waved halfheartedly and stood in from of the ad wall depicting all the sponsors of the event. He put on the widest fake smile he could muster to fool everyone. Afterwards, he scoured press row to find a reporter to talk to. He wanted it to be someone he’d talked to before and liked. However, most of them looked like yippy little flakes just to get his attention: screaming his name, frantically waving their hands to and following him down the hall.

Finally, he spotted Damon Fouty, a reporter for Los Angeles’s ABC affiliate. He’d been interviewed by him a few times and they had a good rapport. JC approached Damon and the latter smiled. “You want to talk to talk to me, eh?”
JC nodded. “Most everyone here is annoying as hell.”
Damon laughed. “I hear you, bro. I can’t stand most of my compatriots in this field. But that’s a story for another day. Camera please, Will.”
The guy next to him pressed a button on his camera and Damon held up his microphone. “How did you hear about Black Notes Foundation and want to get involved?”
“I first heard about them through a producer I worked with a few years ago. I’m an avid proponent for music education. It’s a shame it’s getting cut from schools because it has such a positive impact on young people.”
That answer prompted a nice conversation about the foundation and what work it does to preserve much education, such as provide instruments and music to lower income schools and advocate for music education in general.
“If you don’t mind, can we talk about why you exited America’s Best Dance Crew recently?” He asked timidly.
“Yeah, sure. Look, D-Trix has his opinions and I have mine. I respect him and I hope the feeling’s mutual. It has nothing to do with him or a rivalry. I have some issues in my personal life I need to sort out. It looks a little odd because of the way I went about it, but that’s what it is.”
“Well, I hope you take time to take care of yourself and get that in order. Thanks for talking with me, man.”
“No problem.” JC shook his hand.

The next hour passed by with dullness. JC socialized with attendees, including company bigwigs and fellow celebrities. He had forgotten how mentally exhausting and boring small talk could get after a certain amount of time. Weather, party compliments and kissing up to one another wasn’t normally his cup of tea. He preferred to talk about his passions.

JC then noticed a slender woman with curled brown locks wearing a simple black halter dress two tables away. She was scribbling in a small leaflet notebook and her features depicted focus and concentration. He had seen her before, but he couldn’t place where. She was striking, to say the least. She looks like Jenna. Jenna always wrote things down in notebooks during meetings. He never did ask her why. The last time they spoke was the day he was dropped from the label four years ago. Oh, how he remembered that day well.

JC gulped and adjusted his tie. He had a gnawing feeling about today’s meeting. Maurice Jenkins, the CEO of Jive, had personally told him about it. He knew all the company big wigs would be there. It could only mean one thing: he was about to lose his job. He hoped the executives would cut to the chase, but that wasn’t likely. They loved to avoid questions and spoke fluently in euphemisms.

Several corporate executives lined the table in the conference room. JC recognized all of them, most of whom he’d had several disagreements. At the head of the table was Mr. Jenkins, the balding middle aged man who cared more about money than artistic integrity. The tension was blatant as the singer took a seat.
“Good afternoon, Joshua.”
Mr. Jenkins had always called JC by his real name. It sent chills down his spine. “Good afternoon, sir.”
“I’m sure you must be wondering why we summoned you here.”
“Yes.” He answered curtly.
“And your solo career here at Jive Records has been tumultuous at times. We have not been on the same page. Nonetheless, we have worked through the troubles.”
I sense a ‘but’ coming here. Come on, get to the point Jenkins. JC nodded.
“Therefore, with deep regret in my heart, I must inform you that we agreed to terminate your deal.”
JC raised an eyebrow. “And who is we?”
“The vice president, president of A&R and I. All material you have recorded while under contact with us is our property. Any questions?”
Shit. I figured as much. “No sir.”
“Then you are dismissed.”
As he rose from his chair, he noticed Jenna a few seats down, taking notes. Crap. Why is she here? I didn’t want her to see that. He felt his face flush as he left the meeting room.

He wanted to get as far away from that building as possible. It held terrible memories and he was anxious to escape the turmoil associated with this company. However, heels clicked swiftly after him. “JC!” Jenna called.
“What do you want, Jenna?”
“To talk to you.”
He turned around. “You’re one of them. You’re not supposed to care about me. I’m not longer Jive’s concern.”
She frowned. “JC, I really am sorry. For what it’s worth, I believe in you and I hope you can find success someday.”
JC nodded curtly and scurried down the hall.


He took a swing of wine so he wouldn’t look like he was blatantly staring at her. That line had stuck with him since that day. He wished he’d told her thank you, but was preoccupied with his hurt and sense of betrayal. He should have known better than to trust the label again. They’d given up on Schizophrenic after several singles that THEY chose. Nonetheless, he gave second chances; that kindness had been taken advantage of numerous times. He sighed.
What the hell? Might as well try. Worst case scenario I mistake her and possibly have a great conversation with a beautiful woman. JC braced himself and started to approach her. She looked up at him and he extended his hand in greeting. “Excuse me ma’am” he said, trying his best to keep an even tone. “We worked together a few years ago. Do you remember me?”

Chapter 4 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is for entertainment only. I only own original characters.

Thank you for your patience on this chapter. I've been busy this month with stuff. I hope you all like it.

There's a nice visual of JC near the end of the chapter. You're welcome. Anyway, enjoy reading.  

Chapter 4

The woman’s azure eyes widened in surprise. “Hey. You remember me?”
He smiled. “Of course I do. Your kind was few and far between at the label.”
Jenna did the same and shook his hand. “You’ve got that right. Not many would win a Mr. or Ms. Congeniality award at that place.”
JC laughed. Not only did she remember, she still had that same quick wit. “You got that right. You still work there?”
Jenna rolled her eyes. “Oh no! I got framed for something I didn’t do and the head of Public Relations fired me about three years ago.”
“Weren’t important enough to get the axe from Jenkins?”
“Nope. He’s still there, last I checked. That was some time ago, though. I want to disassociate myself from that institution probably just as much as you do.”
You have no idea. “So, what brings you here?”
“I was going to ask you the same.”
“Manager was on my case so I came to shut him up. You?”
“I work as a journalist for a small music magazine.” She motioned towards her notebook.
JC raised an eyebrow. “That’s quite a jump.”
Jenna shook her head. “Not really. Public relations and journalism are similar in a lot of ways. Anyway, my boss called me and wanted me to cover this because the original person backed out for whatever reason. We have a small staff so I had to step up.”
“The ever dependable Jenna.”
This launched into a pleasant conversation. JC had forgotten how at ease he felt while talking to Jenna. It was almost like the depression didn’t exist. They laughed and joked while exchanging observations about the party. He also pointed out some of the nosy paparazzi and how he’d probably be linked to her in the morning by all the gossip blogs.
“Well, I better get back to work here.” Jenna said a moment later. “I have my material; now just need to write an outline before turning in.”
“Can I ask you one more thing?” JC asked.
“Uh, sure.”
“I’ve enjoyed talking to you and was wondering if I could have your number. So we could have lunch one day or something. Just as friends.”
Jenna paused with a neutral look on her face. Crap, now she probably thinks I want more than that. I’m in no shape to pursue a serious relationship right now. “Sure. I’ve enjoyed talking to you, too. Let me get it for you.” She flipped to a blank page in her notebook and jotted down her name and number. She tore the page out and handed it to him.
“Here, may I write down mine?” He asked.
She nodded and handed him her pen and notebook. He wrote it down and handed it back to her. “I hope you can read that.” He remarked. “I’ve been told my handwriting isn’t that great.”
Jenna glanced at the number. “Nah. Mine turns into glorified scribbling sometimes. So, I’ll see you around?”
“Yeah. It was good to see you, Jenna.”
“Likewise. Have a good night.” She smiled.
“Same to you.” JC sighed as he watched her leave. Maybe it was his slightly buzzed state, but she was prettier than he remembered. That black dress fit her in all the right places. She wasn’t his ‘type’ per se: tall (maybe even more so tonight in high heels), blue eyes, fair skin, and svelte figure. But most importantly, she made him forget where he was, why he didn’t want to be here and why he was depressed; unfortunately, now he was snapped back into reality. He spotted someone with a camera and rolled his eyes. Yeah, that’ll be all over the place by morning.

He felt tired. Being social was exhausting and he didn’t have as much energy these days. I need to get out of here. Curse you Eric for bringing me here. He looked at his phone. 10:55. Eric wouldn’t want to leave. He averaged staying at parties until 2 a.m. Let’s see if I can find someone to come get me. He scanned his contacts before zeroing in on his friend Matt Morrison. The two had become closer over the past few years. JC knew Matt would help him; Matt was a genuine person.
JC typed a message “hey, you busy?”
Not a few seconds later, Matt replied. “Not really. What’s up?”
“I’m at a party in LA and ready to go home. My ride’s not. Could you take me home?”
“Yeah. I’m at one, too. It’s kind of boring. Where’s yours?”
“Westin Hotel”
“Mine’s not far from there. I’ll come get you.”
“Thanks, bro. I appreciate it.”
“No problem. Should be there in 10.”

10 minutes later, JC breathed a sigh of relief as Matt’s Escalade pulled up to the front of the hotel. His friend smiled as the he entered the vehicle. “Hey”
“Hey. Thanks again for doing this.”
“Not a problem, man. Was looking for an excuse to see you anyway. How are you?”
There was sincerity to his question that was missing from Eric’s earlier in the day. JC couldn’t put his finger on what was different. “I’m alive.”
“Good. What were you here for?”
“Eric was bugging me about the media hounding him, so I went to shut him up.” JC groaned. “I can’t stand him, Matt. But I’m too nice to say anything.”
“You should stand up for yourself. He doesn’t have your best intentions at heart.”
JC sighed. “It sounds so simple. But you know me. I hate confrontation. I’m not good at it.”
“The spirit can only take so much negativity. Sometimes you have to say ‘that’s enough, I’m not doing this anymore.’ JC, I’m only saying this because I care. I’m worried about you. You haven’t been yourself lately.”
That’s an understatement. “I know. But it’s not a simple solution. One thing feeds into another and makes the situation worse.”
“Do you want to talk about it?”
JC rubbed his face with his hands. “Not now. All I want to do is go home and go to bed.”
Matt nodded. “That’s fine.”

After saying good night to his friend, JC stood in the dark of his foyer. Back to a lifeless, bleak and empty house. Fits my life so perfectly right now. Maybe I should stay in this darkness. Again, the coughing resumed. The sound reverberated off the walls from the vastness of the room. Shit, I need to check this out. I can’t stand this anymore. And I need sleep.
Once in his bedroom, he proceeded to strip down to his gray boxers, tossing his clothes on the floor as he did so. He’d pick them up in the morning. A slight chill overtook his body but he ignored it. He didn’t like to sleep with much on. Cloth restricted movement. In the summer months, he would forgo clothes altogether. Oh, how it would be nice to have a warm female body beside him. But he hadn’t had any intimate pursuits with a woman for several months. Regardless, he could get warm in the safety of the sheets. Finally, he took his phone out of his pants pocket before curling under the covers.

A new voicemail flashed on the screen. He’d missed a call from Karen, his mother. JC and Karen were close. She respected him as an adult but still called in once to a week to check in. Without her suggesting the audition, his life wouldn’t have taken this path. Plus, she’d raised him to be a respectful up-standing citizen and along with his father Roy, gave him a home when his biological mother, Claudia, was unable to.

Hey Josh, just wondering how you were doing. Has that coughing subsided? If not, you should go to the doctor. Either way you should. Hang in there. You’ve been in tough situations before and got out just fine. Talk to you later, son.

JC smiled slightly. It felt nice to hear a kind voice on the other line. It would be almost 3 a.m. in Maryland by now, so he couldn’t call her. I can call her tomorrow. And I’m going to call Dr. Reed’s office. I can’t stand this anymore. He hadn’t seen his general practitioner in over a year because in general he had been healthy. He placed his phone on the nightstand, turned over and fell asleep instantly.


Chapter 5 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is for entertainment only and I own only original characters. 

The plot thickens in this installment. I hope you all like it.  I appreciate everyone who's taken time to read it. It means so much to me.  

Chapter 5

The next morning JC called Dr. Reed’s office. The receptionist informed him they had a cancellation for that afternoon. JC agreed to come and hung up. Well, that’s one thing taken care of. Hopefully it’s nothing serious. I don’t need anything else to go wrong. Truthfully, I don’t think anything is going right. Might as well call Mom. He dialed that familiar number.

"Hello?"
"Hey Mom, it's me."
"Hey son. How are you?"
"I'm doing okay." JC lightly coughed again.
“Sweetie, you sound awful.”
“I’m getting it checked out in a bit, Mom. Doctor had a cancellation today.”
Karen breathed a sigh of relief. “Good. I just worry about you.”
“You don’t need to. I can do this myself.”
“No matter how old you are, you’re still my son, Josh.”
Josh. Not many called him that name anymore since changing his initials for Disney. “Touché, mother.”
“I love you, son. Let me know what he says.”
“I love you, Mom. I will. Bye.”

He slipped on a black shirt, track jacket and dark rinse jeans and thin framed glasses. He didn't want to mess with contacts today. Then he forced a bowl of cereal in his system. He hadn't felt hungry lately. It wasn't intentional starvation; he simply didn't have the desire to eat. Plus, the coughing pained his throat and made it harder to eat.

JC sat down at the piano in the studio as his phone buzzed. I know who it is and I'm not answering it. He knew Eric was calling to berate him for ditching the party. But JC knew better than to mention it last night; Eric could be aggressive while drunk. I don't even know why we stay in contact anymore. It doesn't benefit either of us. He pounded the keys in frustration. Why am I such a doormat? Why do I let people like him get to me? I wish I had more real friends. He groaned and looked at the clock. 12:45. Doctor's appointment started in 15 minutes and it took almost as long to get to the office. I'll probably be late. Lovely.

After driving a few minutes, he flipped on the radio and Bye Bye Bye came on. He smiled slightly. NSYNC was on top the world at that point. They’d broken away from a tyrannical ex-manager, retained rights to their name and sold 2.4 million albums in a week. The quintet was being pulled in a million different directions. At the time, none of them realized how they’d made history. They didn’t see anything special about themselves; in their minds, they were just five guys who loved to sing and perform. Of course, that increased the appeal.

One of the things he missed the most about that time was the genuine friendship with the other four guys. They enjoyed making music and having fun together. Yet they also could confide in one another if needed. After he and Bobbie broke up in summer 2001, Chris and Joey would make him laugh to cheer him up, Lance would listen and Justin would offer his advice. He and Justin shared some deep conversations while on the Pop Odyssey tour bus. He sighed. 10 years later, the dynamics changed. He and Justin would hang out sometimes when they were in the same place but it wasn’t like the closeness they used to have. It seemed that way with all four of his band mates. They'd grown up and apart from one another. That was then. It was an amazing time but I have to take care of myself now. He parked his car and walked to the office.

Dr. Reed was JC’s general practitioner. They had a cordial relationship. JC hadn’t seen the man much aside from once a year general checkups. He hoped he would be in and out there with some antibiotics and a prescription of rest. He didn’t do much else these days but at least he would have a doctor’s excuse to do it. The nurse took him back right away and asked him what his reason for coming in was. JC summarized the past few months medically as the nurse took notes. Then she informed him the doctor would be in shortly.

Dr. Reed came in a few minutes. He was at oldest 10 years older than JC, in running form (he ran marathons in his spare time) and didn’t look a day older 25. The duo shook hands and exchanged pleasantries.
“How can I help you today?” The elder man asked.
“I’ve had terrible coughing spells. It doesn’t feel like your normal cold or flu. It’s coming from somewhere deeper than that.”
“How long have you had these episodes?”
JC thought for a moment. “A month at least, maybe two. In short, too long.”
The doctor chuckled. “No one likes discomfort. Let’s take a look here.” He took out his stethoscope and plugged his ears. “Take a few deep breaths for me.”
He did as instructed as Dr. Reed placed the stethoscope on JC’s left and right side of his chest and upper back.
“You’re breathing harder than usual.” Dr. Reed observed.
JC hadn’t noticed this before. But now that Dr. Reed mentioned it, his breaths were labored at times. It took a second longer than normal to catch his breath.
“Let’s take a look in your throat here.” The doctor walked to the sink to get a Popsicle stick and mini flashlight.
JC didn’t respond. His nerves heightened with every second. Was the heavy breathing a sign of things to come? Don’t’ jump to conclusions just yet, Chasez. He hasn’t seen anything.
“Open up for me”
JC opened his mouth wide as the physician shined his flashlight in the patient’s throat.
Dr. Reed frowned. “You have something in your throat here.”
JC tensed up. He didn’t expect that. What is it? What does it look like? Is it dangerous?
The doctor turned off his flashlight. “That’s worrisome.”
“What is it?”
“I’m not sure. Some kind of mass. We’d have to look at it closer to be certain.”
Mass? That doesn’t sound encouraging. “What do we do?”
“You need an endoscopy to see what it is. The sooner we get that done, the better.”
“Where is it?”
“It’s near your vocal cords. Not on them, thankfully. But it’s still a force to be reckoned with. Your vocal folds are shaped like this.” He made a “V” with his ring and little finger. “That V is surrounded by a ring. The spot is on the ring. I’d imagine it’s been putting pressure on your cords and making you cough more than usual.”
“Do you think it’s cancer?” JC whispered.
“I’m no expert, Josh. It could be nodules, cancer, or just irritation. We can’t make any official diagnosis until after the procedure and have it analyzed by a specialist. Most likely I’ll have to refer you to someone else. I’m not qualified to make that call.”
JC didn’t know how to process this information. The mere thought of cancer scared him beyond belief. That didn’t happen to young and relatively healthy people like him, did it? No, it couldn’t be. He’d taken good care of his voice in the 20 years he’d been a professional singer. He drank but not to alcoholic levels; he didn't smoke and had tried minimal drugs. No, not him. Not now.
Dr. Reed noticed his patient’s worry. “We’ll get to the bottom of this. No matter what happens, I’ll do my best to help you in treatment going forward.”
JC shook the man’s hand. “Thank you. I appreciate it.”
“You’re welcome. I’ll schedule you for a scope with Dr. Franklin Friday and we’ll see what we can find out. We’ll be in touch.”
Dr. Franklin was the gastroenterologist in the practice Dr. Reed was in. JC had seen his name before but hadn’t spoken to him. His insides churned; this was turning out much worse than he thought. “Okay. I’ll talk to you soon.”
Chapter 6 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Original characters are mine. Story is fiction. 

I had a huge burst of inspiration for this story this week.  So I decided to go ahead and update. A lot longer than usual, but I didn't want move where it ended. 

Please, don't hate me too much after this chapter. It all has a purpose in the story.

 

That can’t be right. I don’t have cancer. No, I don’t. I don’t need another stressor. JC had been thinking some form of this on the way home from Dr. Reed’s office. God’s not that cruel, is he? I’m already in shambles emotionally. He couldn’t lose music; it would ruin him. Knowing he couldn’t do the one thing that could comfort him in tragedy would be unbearable. He wouldn’t know who he was anymore. But you don’t know that yet. It could just be strep throat. Intuition told him otherwise. He wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if the mass was cancer. It’d be another dagger in his heart and maybe the final nail in the coffin on his will to live.

The phone buzz snapped him out of his stupor. Not now, dammit. I don’t want to listen to you. Still, he looked and noticed it was Jenna’s number. Oh, it’s her. I thought it was that bastard calling to berate me again. She has perfect timing. He picked up his phone.
“Hello?”
“Hey, it’s Jenna. How are you?”
“I’m doing alright.” He replied. “And yourself?”
“Not too shabby. So, is that lunch still up for grabs?”
JC smiled. Jenna was interested. He was glad to hear from her; it would be nice to see someone he could stand being around and enjoy their company. “Of course. When’s good for you?”
“Friday afternoon okay? I have an interview at 11 but should be done after few hours.”
“I have an appointment at 10 but the afternoon’s free.” He didn’t need to tell her what type of appointment it was.
“How about 1:30? I’ll call or text if that changes.”
“Sounds good. See you then?”
“Absolutely. Have a good night.”
“You do the same.” They hung up.

That went well. The vibe was strictly professional, with no indication of friendship or romantic undertones. Yet, she must be somewhat interested in reconnecting since she initiated the phone call. Either way, it would be a nice change. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d had a meal alone with a woman; he missed having a gorgeous sight to look at. He hadn’t had much female company outside of his friends’ girlfriends and his mother and sister. Regardless, he had something to look forward to after that dreaded scope. He doubted he'd tell her anything about that. They were just getting to know each other again; that kind of talk was reserved for emotional investment.

--

JC awoke Friday morning with stuff muscles that refused to move. He didn’t want to get this scope done. He hated doing to the doctor and getting poked at. Hell, once he’d thought an ear thermometer was a needle while on tour overseas in NSYNC’s early days. The guys never let him live that one down. Not that he minded; it was pretty silly. He smiled at the memory. How he wished he could go back to a simple time like that. Sadly, he had more imminent priorities.

He arrived at the doctor’s office a quarter before ten. He hoped this wouldn’t take too long; he’d been instructed not to eat or drink and his throat was scratchy and dry. He put on his Baltimore Orioles cap and sunglasses as a disguise, but he didn’t think he’d get recognized. Still, he didn’t want attention today. He checked in and sat down in the waiting room. Most of the clientele were graying and a median age of 60. Definitely not the target demographic here.

His nerves were shot; the results of this test would change the course of his life. If the spot was benign, he could breathe a sigh of relief. On the other hand, it could be cancer and derail him further emotionally. He felt severely nauseous; he had a hunch the lesion was cancerous. And he’d always been right when he got strong inklings like this. Still, his heart didn’t want to believe it. He didn’t want to lose his self-identity. God couldn’t be that brutal. Not the all-knowing, all loving God he’d grown up to respect and love? God, I haven’t prayed for years and I’m sorry. All I ask is that you help me. Help me stay calm and trust that you have a plan for me.
“Joshua Chasez” The nurse pronounced his last name like “Cha-say”
In Your name I pray, Amen. JC didn’t even get annoyed at the mispronunciation. He’d heard numerous ones over the years. He stood up and followed her back to one of the exam rooms.

The nurse, Colleen, introduced herself in a curt tone. She was the nurse assisting Dr. Franklin in the procedure. She took introductory information with no indication of friendliness. I’d feel slightly better about this if you were a little nicer. Hopefully Dr. Franklin is nicer than she is. Then she explained the procedure: JC had to drink a numbing agent that would cease feeling in his throat for a short time. Then the doctor would insert a thin camera tube down the esophagus to where the vocal folds were. He’d take a sample and the procedure would be over.

A middle aged yet fit man entered the room a moment later. “You must be Joshua,” He said, extending his hand. “I’m Gavin Franklin, your physician for the day.”
JC shook it. “Pleasure, sir. You can call me JC. Everyone else does.”
“Ah, that’s easy to remember. Just like I remember seeing your face plastered on the walls of my daughter’s bedroom about 15 years ago.”
JC chuckled. “I’m sure she wasn’t the only one.”
Dr. Franklin nodded. “Frankly, I like your voice, too. I’m going to do my best to make sure it’s not damaged.”
The singer smiled sadly. He liked this guy and trusted him now. “Thank you. Are you ready to have me?”
The elder man gestured to the door. “Follow me, if you please.”

JC arrived in another exam room with a gray medical reclining chair and various instruments for the procedure. He spotted a sharp hook-like object next to a slim silver tube. He cringed inwardly at the sight of the hook. A metal tool in your throat that scraped off a piece of your skin. Even with the numbing agent, he didn’t feel comfortable about this. Also, he didn’t like the idea of his throat temporarily paralyzed. But he knew this scope was necessary for his health, so he had to suck it up. He sat down in the chair.
“Fair warning: this stuff will taste extremely bitter. It should last only a moment or so.” Colleen gave JC a cup of clear liquid.
“Will it wear off quickly?” He asked quietly.
“This concoction should last up to a half hour.” The nurse replied indifferently.
Thanks for not easing my mind. “Well, cheers then.” He raised the glass slightly and gulped the solution. That was a mistake. The bitterness overtook his system and almost triggered another coughing attack. And not even 30 seconds later, his throat was numb. The lack of sensation scared him.
“Don’t worry, JC,” Dr. Franklin said while putting on his latex gloves. “This won’t take long. I’ll make it as painless as possible.”
JC nodded and took a deep breath. Breathe in, Chasez. It’ll be alright.
“First, we’ll just use the camera to see what this lesion looks like. That’ll give me an idea of how much skin to take off. Relax and hold still. Open wide.”
Please, God. Be with me now. JC opened his mouth.
Dr. Franklin maneuvered the thin camera down his throat where the vocal folds resided. He frowned. “You have a tumor in there. There’s no doubt about it.”
I don’t know if I want to see it. The screen where the images projects faced away from him so the spot was concealed. I hope it’s not big.
“It looks about a centimeter in size. I don’t know how deeply ingrained it is; test results will reveal that information. Time to get samples.” Dr. Franklin retracted the camera and reached for the shiny metal prick. “You doing okay?”
The patient nodded whole clenching his fists to the chair.
“Okay. You’ll need to hold real still because I’ll have both the camera and this tool in a small space. I don’t want to cause any additional injury.” The doctor then reached down with the camera and prick. Then he scraped off a piece of the tumor and took the tools out. JC was extremely relieved. The procedure was over and he could already notice feeling coming back in his throat.
Dr. Franklin placed the sample in a little dish. “We’ll send this off to testing. It should take about a week to get the full results.”
“What you think it is?” JC asked.
“I think its cancer. Not terribly advanced but it looks like other cancers I’ve seen. I won’t make an official diagnosis until I have the results. I wouldn’t be surprised.”
JC sighed and didn’t respond.
“I hope that’s not the case either, but I’m not going to bullshit you. That’s not my job. I’m supposed to give you the facts with some empathy. Then we figure out the best option together. Sound good?”
The younger man smiled slightly. I’m in good hands. He’ll help me the best he can.
“I’ll see you in a week or so.” The doctor extended his hand.
JC shook it. “Thanks, doctor. I appreciate it.”
“You can call me Gavin if you like. I don’t like to use a title if I don’t have to.”
JC chuckled. I need to get my mind off this ASAP. “Okay, Gavin. I’ll see you.”

At least now I get to see Jenna, JC thought as he got in the car. He longed for a female companion at times. Someone to sooth his inflamed nerves. A warm body to lie next to at night. Hold up, you're just having a meal with her. Let’s not get to the physical stuff so quick. He knew part of that was his sexual frustration and loneliness talking. He'd been single for a few years now; he missed that kind of presence in his life. Either way, he wanted to see her again. He enjoyed their conversations about his music and the industry in general. He thought they were intellectual equals.

He pulled up to Dario’s, a funky lunch joint on the artsy side of town a few hours later. JC had never been there, but Jenna had suggested it and it sounded good. He saw her getting out of her car a few spaces down. She had on chocolate slacks to match her hair and a fuchsia blouse. She was taller than he remembered; he reckoned she was his height. Her locks flowed easily around her shoulders. She was pretty without even trying.
She flashed a white smile his way. “Hey JC. How’s it going?”
“I’m still breathing. How are you?”
“Good.” They hugged quickly. That felt good. I need that more often.
“So, what’s good here?”
“I’m partial to the seafood chowder. It’s unlike anything else I’ve ever had. This place is out of the way for me, but it’s worth it just for that.”
“Ah, I see” JC pulled out her chair for her. “Oh, thanks. It’s been awhile since a man’s done that for me.”
“You’re welcome.” They both sat down.
“Are you working with Eric still?”
JC groaned. “Sadly, yes.”
“Why?”
“I’m too nice to kick out people who hurt me.”
Jenna smiled knowingly. “I see. He was maddening to deal with. Eventually management made me do it all the time because no one else wanted to. He tried to flirt with me, which didn’t work. He was promoting himself, not you.”
The thought of Eric romancing Jenna made JC sick to his stomach. But why? They had barely started to get to know each other again. It wasn’t as if he wanted to date her. “Somehow that doesn’t surprise me. That’s his personality.”
“I want nothing to do with him. So as long as just we go out, we’re cool.”
“Trust me; we don’t hang out all that much. Really, I should tell him to get the hell out of my life because it doesn’t benefit either of us.”
Jenna frowned. “Maybe he likes to one up people and brag about his fortune to make himself feel better.”
“Exactly. He doesn’t care about me. And yet he doesn’t realize that he’s part of the reason my career is the way it is. Maybe without him, the Jive executives wouldn’t have backstabbed me so much.”
“I worked there for two years. Anyone they deemed not useful, they treated them like second class citizens. They had sticks so far up their asses they couldn’t see your talent.”
JC chuckled. “I suppose. I shouldn’t even care. That was, what? Five years ago or something like that? It’s behind me.”
Jenna took a sip of water before responding. “Those people shattered your dreams. They hurt you twice and made you doubt yourself and who you are. It’s not easy to forgive someone who does that.”
Dammit, Jenna. How did you nail that right on the head? “It does. I struggle with confidence even now. It left a permanent scar. And I hate it because I love singing. I love performing and communicating with an audience through my writing. I love the thought of inspiring someone through one of my songs. People said not to let those idiots influence me. But when higher ups threw part of my soul back in my face twice, I took it personally.” He shrugged.
“As you should. I didn’t want to be in the room that day.” Jenna replied. “Jenkins caught on to our friendship and I think he wanted to embarrass us both.”
“I remember you were writing notes that day. What was it, if you doing mind me asking?”
“I don’t remember, to be honest. I wanted to look busy while not watching you getting humiliated in front of all the company bigwigs.”
Wow, she must have cared at least somewhat to do that. It never was anything past business friendship. Their gazes met. Her lips upturned into a slight smile. Yet he could see sadness and concern in her eyes.
“And I ran after you because I wanted you to know that I actually cared and I wasn’t putting on an act.” She continued.
JC shook his head. “I’ve been in this business awhile. I can tell when someone is putting on an act.” Especially dating wise. They all do. “You don’t strike me as the fake type.”
Jenna blushed slightly. “And I still do care. It makes me sad you’ve left music behind. You’re a truly talented being. I wish you knew that. I was drawn by your passion for your work. You really believed in the story and wanted to tell it on your own terms.”
I wish I still had it. Because I was happy then. I knew my purpose on this earth. Now I don’t have one. “I appreciate it, Jenna. But I don’t see that spark being revived anytime soon.”
“Why?”
Where do I even start? She doesn’t need to know I have an impending cancer diagnosis on my hands. “I’ve had a rough time emotionally recently. Let’s just leave it at that.”
She nodded. “I know what’s that’s like. You got my number. I’ll help you when I can.”
Something about her demeanor cracked his lofty walls around his heart. Maybe, just maybe she’s different. Like I said, she doesn’t strike me as a fake. Maybe there was a reason Jenna was put back in his life. Anyway, he enjoyed her company and he wanted her around more often. He smiled. “Thanks. I haven’t heard that often recently.”
“I’ll follow through, I promise.” JC found he couldn’t take his eyes away from hers. Indeed, maybe there was a reason she was here. 

Chapter 7 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is for entertainment only and I own only original characters. 

Thank you all for reading this story and reviewing. It's been a good outlet for me and it makes me happy y'all are taking time to read it.  

Chapter 7

The next week was excruciating. His thoughts switched between hope that the results wouldn’t be worst case scenario and resignation to the disease and that some higher power hated him. He didn’t want to believe that; he believed that people and this world were good at the core. But the recent chain of events challenged that notion. The coughing spells remained the same for the most part, save one time when he woke up in the middle of night and couldn’t stop for almost five minutes. Whatever this disease was, he wanted to start treatment soon. He didn’t want to live in constant stress mode about these attacks.

He and Jenna hadn’t seen each other since their lunch, but texted almost every day. He’d forgotten how good it felt to hear from someone he liked. Most of his recent correspondences elicited groans and irritation. He read her messages with a smile on his face. He told her he had been ill recently but left it at that. Now wasn’t the time to start a romantic relationship. He could potentially start cancer treatments soon and he didn’t want her to get invested and get hurt, in the occurrence something might happen to him.

Regardless, his heart beat a mile a minute when he stepped into that doctor’s office. He wanted to know and get it over with. At least now he would know what adversary he had to face, unlike the unknown depression haunting him the past few months. He could actually put a name to his troubles and have a plan of attack to overcome it. On the other hand, the idea of having cancer scared the living hell out of him. The disease wasn’t an automatic death sentence like it used to be, but it couldn’t be taken lightly.

Colleen called his name a few minutes later. He took a deep breath and followed her. His stomach was in knots and he could vomit from the nerves. It was the moment of truth. His fate rested in the hands of the test results. Colleen went over the reason he was there in a curt tone and took his vital signs, all of which were normal. I wish she was nicer. I’d feel a little better about this whole thing. The nurse reminded him of a bitter old teacher he had in third grade. At least Dr. Franklin is nice and personable.

A few moments later, Gavin entered the exam room, “How are you, JC?” he asked, shaking his hand.
“Nervous. And I want to know what’s wrong with me. I’ve been agonizing all week.”
The doctor nodded. “I understand. Well, it’s not good news but it could be so much worse.”
What does he mean by that? “Do I have cancer?”
“Yes, I’m sorry to say. But on the bright side, it’s not advanced. Here, I’ll show you on the scans from last week.” Dr. Franklin took out two slides out from an envelope and put them up on a lighted board. “What you have is stage 1, T1, N0, M0 Laryngeal cancer .”
JC stared at him blankly. That could be an alien language for all he knew.
“Of course that means nothing to you unless I explain it. The larynx is the whole voice box in your throat. The tumor is located on the glottis which is here,” He pointed to the ring around the vocal folds. “T1 means that the tumor is there but not interrupting your cords’ movement. N0 means the cancer hasn’t spread to any lymph nodes in that area. And M0 means it hasn’t metastasized to anywhere else in the body. So it’s only in one place.”
Well, okay. But it’s still cancer.
“I know what you’re thinking. It is still cancer and we need to keep that in mind. I’d recommend surgery as the most direct course of action. Hopefully, removing that will take care of the problem. However, remnants of the cancer could still linger. Therefore, I’ll probably put you on a round of chemotherapy or radiation to further eradicate it.”
“Will there be any side effects from those treatments?”
“Most of the time, patients experience nausea, vomiting and some hair loss.” Dr. Franklin replied. It seems like a lot for one tiny tumor but, in my opinion, it would be worth it. Because if you leave this tumor alone, it will grow and fast. Then it could actually impact your cords and give you more problems down the road.”
“Would there be damage to my cords in either my surgery or the treatment?”
Gavin sighed. “Unfortunately, there’s a possibility that your vocal cords could be irrepealably damaged, thus inhibiting your ability to talk or sing. It’s not a sure bet, but most patients I’ve seen have damage.”
JC’s heart shattered. You mean I could never sing again? You’re kidding. That’s not possible. He cleared his throat. “I hope that doesn’t happen. I’ve been singing over 20 years. It’s an integral part of who I am. If I don’t have that, I’m nothing.”
The doctor smiled sadly. “I don’t want it to, either JC. I know what that’s like; losing your identity because you can’t do something you love. I’ll do my best to make sure it doesn’t; however, I have to be honest about the risks that come with both the disease and treatment.”
Might as well go for it. What other choice do I have? “I know. Still makes it hard to swallow, though.” JC cleared his throat, trying to stay focused. “So, when can I get into surgery?”
“I have several lined up next week, but I think I have a cancellation a week from Monday. Let me check,” Gavin searched through his iPad for a moment. “I do. In the morning at 8. Would that be okay?”
“Go ahead. I don’t have a choice, do I?”
“You could ignore it. Decide the risk versus reward isn’t worth it.”
JC snorted. “I think knowing I have cancer and choosing not to treat it is the worst thing I could do right now, physically and emotionally.”
Gavin nodded. “So I’ll see you a week from Monday?”
The patient shook his hand. “Indeed you will. Thanks for the explanation.”
“I always want to make sure my patients know what is going on in their bodies. Cancer is scary but maybe not as much so while armed with information.”
JC nodded. “I’ll see you then, Gavin.”
“Take care, JC.”

JC left the office a few moments later with a heavy heart. I have cancer and I could possibly lose my voice. Wow, the universe is cruel and must hate me. God, why are you doing this to me? Wetness appeared behind his eyes. Dammit, not now. At least wait until no one can see. He took a deep breath to steady himself. I need an answer. Why is this happening? Only silence replied. He groaned. Figured as much. I’m more alone than I thought.

Anguish overtook his system as he got into the driver’s seat. He couldn’t bring himself to put the key in the ignition. That meant dealing with life in this new reality and he wasn’t ready for that. Parallel tears escaped down his cheeks. Can’t I at least get home before doing that? But his emotions had other ideas. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d cried. Thank God for tinted windows. I don’t want anyone to see me right now. He sighed, trying to wipe away the tears. How could he have been so stupid to take his gift for granted? Why did he let others ruin his confidence? Now he could possibly never sing again. The one thing he had to comfort him in the tough times was gone. He had nothing. Nothing. His identity had been shattered. For 20 years he’d been a performer at heart, despite other’s disbelief. Who was he now? A pathetic nobody who has nothing to live for. He laid his head back on the headrest and cried.

After a few moments, the water stopped. I guess I am alive if I can cry like I just did. In a way, it was relief to cry. He’d been harboring a flood of negative feelings inside and this diagnosis finally brought them out. Despite Dr. Franklin’s upbeat outlook, JC felt hopeless. He didn’t understand why this was happening. How could he tell anyone? That would make it final, uttering the news to another. He knew his family would fly immediately to be at his side, but what about friends? Matt, he could easily. Eric? He’d probably hold off on because he would bring pointless drama. Jenna? He wasn’t sure. Withholding that information from her would be lying but he wasn’t sure he wanted her to see him so vulnerable. He also wanted to tell his NSYNC comrades but he wasn’t sure they’d do much beyond. They had a brotherhood 10 years ago, but did it exist now? Maybe not.

Come on, you need to get home. JC wiped his eyes and blew his nose with a tissue. I suppose I’m ready for you now, cancer. He put the key in the ignition, starting both the car and his life as a cancer patient.
Chapter 8 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is fiction and I only own original characters.

I hope y'all like this. JC has to break the news now; including one surprise person. Feedback is always appreciated :)  

JC walked through the front door and found himself short of breath. His emotions suffocated him. He gasped desperately for air, reaching from the depths of his being. It was as if his angst was strangling him. It was the most powerful reaction he’d ever had. Slowly with every breath, he stabilized. Holy shit, emotions. Could you please not kill me before this tumor does?
No, wait. This tumor won’t kill me. Dr. Franklin will remove it and hopefully life will be good again.
He sighed. He’d felt more alive in the last hour than the past several months. It was a nice realization, but the intensity could be turned down several notches.

How do you tell someone you have cancer, anyway? Call them up and tell them, Guess what? ‘I found out I have cancer today.’ That’ll be GREAT fun. JC groaned. Divulging the news to others would make the disease even more real. Voicing it made it more concrete, somehow. JC couldn’t place why. He wished he could tell his family in person. But, given his parents were in Maryland and Tyler and Heather in various parts of the country, that notion wasn’t feasible. He staggered over to his studio to make the call.

Come on, Josh. The longer you wait, the more you torture yourself. On the same token, he didn’t want to tell his family. He didn’t want them to worry about him. Not when he was so far away. They were retired now, so they had the time to visit. Still, constant bicoastal flights would take a tool on their aging bodies. You’re fishing for excuses. JC took a deep breath and dialed their home number.

“Hello?” Roy’s genial voice greeted him.
JC’s throat tightened up again. This was going to be harder than he thought. “Hey, Dad.”
“Hey Josh. Did you have your appointment today?”
“Yeah. I have bad news.”
“Okay. What is it?”
“I have stage 1 vocal cancer.”
Roy sighed. “I was afraid of that. What did the doctor say?”
“It’s only in one spot and not affecting my cords. It can be removed with surgery, which has been scheduled. Then I probably undergo treatment to make sure it’s fully gone.”
“We’ll be there. Are you holding up okay?”
“I’m scared, Dad. Dr. Franklin said my cords might be damaged in the treatment, meaning I can’t sing anymore.”
Roy didn’t respond. He didn’t know what to say to comfort his son. What could you say?
“I don’t understand why this is happening.”
“I don’t either, Josh. But we’ll get through it together. God will guide us.”
JC sighed. “Is Mom home?”
“Yes, she is. Hang on.”
“Hi sweetie” She answered a moment later.
JC’s insides lurched. Karen sounded happy and he had to break her heart. “Hi. I got the results back today.”
“Good news or bad news?”
“Bad, unfortunately.”
“Is it cancer?” Karen inquired before her voice broke.
“Yes, Mom. I have stage 1 vocal cancer.”
“Oh honey.” She sniffled. “I’m so sorry.”
It broke JC’s heart to hear his mom cry. She had been his rock all his life and made so many sacrifices to allow him to pursue his dreams. And now she was distraught because he had a cancerous tumor in his throat. Guilt gnawed at his conscience. “No, I’m sorry.”
“You can’t help that you’re sick.” She replied.
“But you’re crying. I don’t want you to cry because of me.”
“I’m crying because it’s unfair. I want the best for you, honey. And life keeps dealing you blows like this.” She sighed and cleared her throat. “What happens now?”
“I have surgery scheduled in a week and a half followed by treatment.”
“Would you like us to visit a few days beforehand?”
JC’s throat tightened up slightly. Telling her was one thing; dealing with this reality in person was an entirely different equation. “Yes. I’d love that. I need good company and a bowl of your famous chili.”
Karen chuckled. “I’ll gladly make some while we’re here. Have you told Tyler and Heather?”
“No. You and Dad are the only two who know about this, aside from my doctor.”
“Do you need me to?”
“I want to tell them myself.” He sighed. “Granted, it won’t be easy. But I’d feel better if they heard it from me.”
“Perfectly understandable, sweetie.” Her voice broke. “I’ll let you go. I love you, Josh.”
She probably doesn’t want me to hear her cry again. “And I love you, Mom. I’ll talk to you soon.”

Now what? He didn’t know who to turn to next. Of course, he couldn’t tell everyone he knew in one night. However, that conversation tore at his heart enough. How many more could he manage? He sighed and called Tyler and Heather; both went to voicemail. He left a message and tossed his phone aside on the bed. How am I supposed to keep this a secret from the media?

He groaned. The last thing he needed was photographers chasing him when he left places and asking him prying questions about the disease. And what if they made it out to be worse than it was? Fabricate some saga about him dying from cancer. “You’re in the public eye; you’re supposed to care what others think,” Eric’s words resonated with him. He was supposed to care. He had an image to uphold. People could easily take pictures of him leaving a hospital, and sites like TMZ could get a hold of them.

Wait, why am I worrying about this? I have cancer for crying out loud! I need to worry about getting myself well. Then again, I don’t want to people I love find out through some trashy blog site. And one of those people was Justin Timberlake. Despite the emotional distance, JC still respected his younger surrogate brother. He was happy to see Justin’s profile rise because he knew how much of a hard worker he was. The thought of Justin finding out via a secondhand source devastated him. He called but got voicemail once again.

Hey Justin, it’s JC. I have some terrible news. Rumors might start circulating around but I want you to hear it from me. Anyway, if you could call me when you get this, I’d appreciate it, bro. Thanks. Talk to you soon.

Damn, I wish people would answer their phone when I call.
JC snorted. I suppose I’ll find out who my real friends are. Not that I don’t already know. His phone buzzed and he picked it up. Justin was calling back. That was quick.

“Hello?”
“Hey. What’s going on?” Justin sounded confused and concerned.
“I’m sick, Justin. Actually, it’s more than that.” He let out a throaty cough.
“You sound awful.”
JC snorted. “Trust me, this isn’t the worst of it. I have vocal cancer.”
Dead silence for several moments. JC knew this was a bombshell for his friend. It was like finding a chink in your childhood hero’s armor. They’d built a friendship around mutual respect for one another. Would Justin’s impression of him change?
“No. No. not you.” Justin finally whispered. “Of all the people in this world… no. Please tell me you’re lying.”
“I wish I was. Would I lie about this kind of thing?”
“Is it bad?”
“It’s a small tumor and not on my cords themselves. My doctor will remove it with surgery. But I still have to go through chemo to make sure the disease is gone.”
His voice cracked. “When is the surgery?”
“A week from Monday.”
“I’ll be there.”
“You don’t have to. You’re busy.”
“That’s petty stuff. You’re my older brother that I’ve looked up to since I was 10. I don’t care what I have to do; I’ll be there.” Justin replied firmly.
JC smiled. It comforted him to know their friendship was still solid after all these years. “It would mean the world to me if you do come.”
“Trust me, I will. Have you told any of the other guys?”
He hadn’t thought past telling Justin. Considering how draining the past few hours had been, he didn’t have the strength. “No, I haven’t”
“I can, if that would make things easier.”
“Actually, it would help,” He sighed. “I don’t know what to do, Justin. The thought of losing my voice scares the shit out me.”
“Let’s not think about that. Your doctor said it was small, right?”
“Yeah. It’s only in one little spot in my throat. It’s not growing real fast but we still want to remove it.” JC coughed again.
“And the sooner, the better. It’ll be okay. You’ll make it through this. I know you can.”
JC couldn’t describe the feeling that overcame him. It was a strange mixture of relief, comfort and inspiration. “Thanks. It means a lot to hear that.”
“You’re welcome. We’ll talk soon. I love you, man,”
JC smiled. “Love you, too. Thanks for calling me back.”
“Not a problem. See ya.”
Chapter 9 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is fiction and I only own original characters. 

I really enjoyed writing this chapter. You'll get to find out a little more abojut Jenna. I like writing them. It's fun (and makes me wish I wasn't single :P) Anyway, enjoy.  

His siblings called him back later that evening. Heather cried and Tyler was quiet for moments afterward. JC swore he may have been choking back a few tears as well. He also talked to Roy again. All of the Chasez clan would arrive the Saturday before the surgery and stay at his house for several days thereafter. It had been awhile since he had overnight company; it would be a nice change. After that, he decided to withdraw for the night. His heart couldn’t take any more conversations like he just had. Having to inform his family he had cancer was one of the hardest things he ever had to do. Everyone else could wait.

The next morning, he sat down at the piano to attempt writing. He couldn’t keep the pain in forever; it would drive him mad. And even though his voice was at risk, he could still write it out, right? Only one way to find out. His usual writing process started with coming up with a snippet of a melody so he had an idea in his head what the mood of the song would be. Then he’d come up with words before merging the two together. Sometimes he’d have to change one or the other until he was satisfied.

Nonetheless, as he sat there, he realized he had nothing. No word in the English language or note in the music universe could describe what he felt at that time. Maybe it was because the news hadn’t fully sunk in yet. The diagnosis was less than 24 hours ago. It hadn’t been a set reality until now. He hadn’t lived with it long enough.

And so, his mind wondered to a certain brunette and the role she would play in his life from now on. Cancer was a frightening thing and would reveal who had true intentions. He didn’t want her to see him violently ill. Or she could decide she didn’t want to stick around for the messy parts. He had no idea what she thought about their recent reconnection. Was she just as conflicted as he was? Or was she just along for the ride? And what would that mean if she did want to stay?

On one hand, he was hesitant to let Jenna in. What if she turned around and backstabbed him? She was a journalist who worked for a publication that focused on music. Local music, yes. But maybe management wouldn’t want to pass up a good story when they saw one. He didn’t want to experience the humiliation Eva put him through several years ago. She’d confessed to Rolling Stone that she thought the sex they had lacked and it was his fault. That stung more than any malicious accusation. And to make matters worse, when he went to confront his ex about her remarks, he found her in bed with Tony Parker, a famous basketball player. Wait, though. Would Jenna do that? In the limited context he knew her in, he didn’t think she would. She’d turned against the status quo and defended him to the end.

And yet he wanted to see Jenna again. Maybe it was because he liked her. Or he desired a female companion after avoiding a meaningful connection with women for some time. Most likely it was a combination of the two. She won’t hurt you. He texted her asking if she was available for coffee. I hope my intuition is right on this one. I’ve had enough hurt in my life recently. Relationship drama is the last thing I need right now.
She replied a moment later stating she would be available after her shift was over that evening. They agreed to meet at 8 at Java Logue, a popular offbeat coffee shop in an artsy neighborhood. JC wanted to limit the chance of them being overheard. He knew he couldn’t fully control that aspect but figured the circumstances would be favorable for a private conversation.

JC arrived at the cozy joint several hours later. The weathered bricks, eclectic lamps, and dark cherry wood tables provided a warm ambiance, compared to the rainy early February evening outside. He removed his jacket and sat down in an auburn leather chair near the back with his coffee.

Jenna appeared a few moments later. Her black suit and navy shirt exuded confidence and professionalism. Her hair was pulled back in a tight bun this time. He could see her face so much better. Her eyes were blue, like his. I could get lost looking at her. She brought out emotions he hadn’t felt in years. She saw him and waved. She ordered and got her drink before heading toward the corner. “Hey.”
“Hey girl. How are you?” They hugged with one arm this time, since Jenna’s hands were full.
“Okay. Been a stressful day. And you?” She sat down in a chair across from him.
“Hanging in there. Good to see you.”
“Likewise. So, what did your doctor have to say?” Jenna asked, hands cupped around her cinnamon latte. He’d mentioned earlier in the day via text about seeing the doctor.
He took a swing of his own espresso. “That’s what I wanted to talk about, actually. It’s the kind of news best told in person, if at all possible.”
She raised her eyebrow. “Oh? And I suppose I’m special enough to get that treatment?”
Yes, you are. But not without some debate. He smirked. “I guess you could say that. I like talking to you, anyway.”
“Thanks. I haven’t been a hit with the male species lately.”
JC scoffed playfully. “I don’t believe it. Who could resist someone as charming as you?”
“Oh, you’d be surprised.” She paused. “Anyway, the news. What is it?”
She made me forget about it for a second. “I have stage one vocal cancer.”
Jenna gasped. “I’m so sorry. That’s not fair!”
“Well, it’s the hand I’ve been dealt.” He cleared his throat. “I don’t want it to be public knowledge just yet, so please keep it quiet.”
She nodded. “Absolutely. So, what’s the plan of action?”
“The tumor is really small so my doctor thinks he can remove it without much problem. I’ll go to surgery in a week or so. Then I’ll have treatment once a week for several months to make sure the disease is gone.”
“Is the prognosis good for the most part?”
He nodded. “My voice probably will take a hit, though. My doctor said irreparable damage will probably happen and there’s a chance I could never sing again.”
She frowned. “Is it just a chance?”
“Yeah. He wanted me to be aware of the risks. But I’m going through with the surgery and treatment. I’d be stupid not to treat it. Then the tumor could grow and become a bigger problem.”
“I’m sorry you have to go through this. When is your surgery?”
“A week from today. You don’t have to visit.”
“I want to. I’ll definitely come by.” She sipped her coffee.
Why does she seem so eager to be there for me? We aren’t in a relationship and haven’t been in contact again long. “I’d like that. I might not be all there from the drugs and such but I would.”
She chuckled. “Yeah. Waking up from anesthesia is one of the weirdest feelings ever. It’s a mix of severe disorientation and the hangover from hell.”
“You’ve had surgery?”
She nodded. “I blew out my MCL and ACL during a basketball game my senior year of high school. I can still be active, but have to be careful with how much I do.”
“Ouch. Did it end your sports career?”
“Unfortunately. I was going to go to college on scholarship, too. That was a period of self-exploration. I was quite the athlete in my teen years so it was a shock to revamp my college plans six months beforehand. I ended up missing a semester because of missed placed paperwork, but it worked out.”
“Ah, so you know what that’s like. Having your soul invested in something but then it’s yanked from your grasp by some cruel circumstance.”
Jenna smiled slightly. “That I do. We’re more alike than you think.”
He noticed vulnerability in her features, which he’d never seen before. She had somberness in her voice and her smile contradicted her aura in that moment. “Oh? And why is that, Ms. Timbrook?”
“I remember reading about you supported an adoption charity because you’re adopted. Well, I am, too. But for a completely different reason.”
JC frowned. “What do you mean?”
She sighed. “It’s a long story and I don’t want to recount it now. Basically, my birth parents didn’t love me. Luckily I ended up with parents who do. Still, it’s a scar I bear.”
“That’s terrible, Jenna. My birth mom loved me but didn’t have the resources to give me a steady life.”
“You’re lucky she does. Do you keep in contact with her?”
“On a semi-regular basis. At least once a month, maybe more. And I try to see her once a year. We have a good relationship. However, I consider Karen my main mom. So, your adoptive parents are good to you?”
“Yes. I have a relationship with them like any daughter should with their parents. But, like I said, those first few years were rough.”
JC could tell she wasn’t ready to delve further into the topic. “I’m sorry you had to endure that.”
“It’s okay. Everyone has to deal with their demons, right?”
He nodded. “That’s true.”
She yawned. “As nice as this little outing has been, I need to get home. I had a long day at the office today and need to unwind.”
I hope I didn’t make her feel uncomfortable. “Okay. Thanks for meeting me.”
They both stood up. “You’re welcome. I enjoyed it, despite the news you delivered.”
“Well, I can’t help that. It’s my life,” He coughed.
“You know where to reach me if you need anything.” They hugged. JC relaxed at her touch. Her arms provided a safety net that he hadn’t had in some time. He could have held Jenna for days. The embrace was over far too soon.
“Thanks, honey. I’ll talk to you later.” Oh crap. I hope she doesn’t take that the wrong way. He used that term of endearment to all women he knew well.
“I’ll see you.” She smiled before walking out of the coffeehouse.
What is it about you, Jenna Timbrook? What is it about you that’s breaking down my walls? He hoped he hadn’t turned her away with their conversation tonight. She appeared severely uneasy when talking about her birth parents. They must have done something atrocious to her. Regardless, she had her boundaries just as he had his. Logically, he knew they should take it slow. Now was not the time to fool with new romantic pursuits. His heart, on the other hand, missed the companionship. He sighed, left a tip on the table and left.


The next week elapsed with no incidents. JC didn’t hear from Eric and he preferred it that way for now. He didn’t need his manager’s petty shit right now. He called other friends and received lots of sympathy in voice and people coming by. Matt came and stayed for several hours one day to hang out and keep him company. JC enjoyed the attention; it took his mind away from his depression. Jenna called several times to check up on him. It was almost like people did care about him.

Despite that, JC’s heart swelled with joy like never before as his family showed up as his doorstep Saturday afternoon. He and Roy embraced wordlessly for a moment. That was all he needed from his father: a gesture of support and love. Then he turned to Karen. “Hi, honey,” she croaked.
“Hey.” They hugged. Something about his mother’s love soothed his fears temporarily. “I’m so glad to see you.”
“Me, too.” She kissed his cheek and let him go.
Next was Heather. “Hey sis.”
“You holding up okay, Josh?” she asked as they hugged.
“Yeah, hanging in there.”
Finally, it was Tyler’s turn. “I’m so sorry, bro,” Tyler whispered.
“It’s okay. I’m glad you’re here.”

The family had nice bonding time. Tyler, Roy and JC watched college basketball while Karen and Heather did some much needed cleaning. That evening Karen made crab cakes, one of her specialties and something JC missed about the east coast. Dinner was followed by several hours lingering at the dinner table visiting and having drinks. The day was low key but he didn’t mind. It was enough to be surrounded by the people who loved him most.

A knock came at his bedroom door around 11 the next morning. “Come in” JC said while rubbing his eyes.
Karen opened it. “You have visitors waiting downstairs, honey.”
I wish they would have called first. I just woke up. “Okay. Give me a few to wake up.”
“That’s fine. You’ll be happy to see them.”
“I don’t get a clue as to who this person is?”
“No. They want it to be a surprise.” She closed his door.
Who could this be? Justin, maybe? He said he’d be at the surgery, but nothing else. Most people called ahead before visiting him; he could be a bear if he didn’t get enough sleep. Regardless, he couldn’t be rude.

After freshening up in the bathroom, he dressed in a gray t-shirt and black pants before heading downstairs. He looked over the railing outride his bedroom. He could see several silhouettes in the foyer. Could it be? Gazes shifted towards him as he proceeded down the stairs. He stopped in his tracks on the bottom step as his throat tightened up at the sight before him. You’ve got to be kidding. I can’t believe it.

Chapter 10 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is fiction. I only own originals. 

Sorry about the first upload! I didn't think it would be so screwy. But it's in the correct format now.

Chapter 10

His four brothers awaited him. Flashbacks of the last time they were together came to mind. It was Chris’s 40th birthday last year. The other four conspired with Karly, Chris’s girlfriend, to surprise him at his house in Orlando. They’d stayed up until dawn reminiscing about group adventures and catching up on one another’s lives. JC strained a muscle in his side from laughing so hard. “Wh-what you are you guys doing here?”
“To support you, of course.” Chris replied before wrapping him in a hug.
Wow, are you sure this is happening right now? He figured times like last year would happen like most reunions: enjoyable but 10 years pass after the empty promise to get together again. And they were all here now, for him. Tears formed in the back of his eyes. He hugged each guy with the same soul crushing intensity.
Next, the quintet stood in a circle group hug, just like they used to before every show. “It means so much that you’re here.” JC whispered. “I didn’t expect this.”
“This,” Lance motioned to everyone. “is brotherhood. We will always take care of one of our own.”
“We’re here for you, Sizzle.” Joey replied and patted his friend on the back.
JC smiled. Joey always the ‘touchiest’ of the group and it was nice to know he hadn’t changed. “Thank you. You all can make yourselves at home. Can I get you anything to eat or drink?”

A few moments later, the group situated at a table on JC’s back patio. The sun was shining with a light breeze and a clear view of the valley below.
“So, how are you feeling?” Justin asked.
Which kind? I could talk for hours on end about either. “Okay. Throat’s a little sore, but I haven’t had any coughing fits.”
“Like a cold?” Chris asked.
JC shook his head. “Oh, no. These are much worse. It’s like a machine gun coming from my gut. I almost can’t breathe. It’s a helpless feeling because I’m trying to control it, but can’t. It usually has to die on its own.”
Lance furrowed his brow. “That’s terrible. How long have you had these episodes?”
“A month, maybe two. I had no idea it was cancer. It was a shock to the system, to say the least."
“It’s not fair. I was always in awe in your voice. Like, damn, where did this freak of nature come from? Remember those finishes from the Celebrity tour?” Lance whistled. “They were something else.”
JC did remember. He and Kevin Antunes remixed “I Want You Back” into a blues ballad, which included a 20 second riff by JC at the end. Even as an experienced professional with a few years under his belt, these made him nervous. He wanted to please the fans and that each crowd got the same results. “Yeah. One night you guys told me to pretend the audience was in their underwear. Or, heaven forbid, Chris in his skivvies.”
Everyone laughed as Chris rolled his eyes, “Dude, I was trying make you relax and give you a funny visual. Come on, I know I’m not George Clooney.”
JC smiled. “I know. It worked, though. I’m just giving you a hard time, Tricky.”
Chris shrugged with a smile. “Fair enough. I did more than your fair share of jokes at your expense back in the day.”
“That you did. I was the buzzkill the majority of time.”
Justin nodded. “God love you, C, but you did. Especially if I whispered something to your ear and you’d blurt out your response.”
If only I could go back to that time. “I don’t do that as much anymore.”
“Says who?” Chris teased. “We haven’t seen you in the last 10 years to know.”
“Just take my word for it. I’ve hardened in a way I’ve never thought possible.” JC sighed.
“We all have changed” Joey said. “So, did your doctor say it’s a surefire thing you’ll never sing again?”
“No. The tumor is in my throat near my chords but not on the chords themselves. He said that irreparable damage could happen, but that’s not a guarantee. I could also be cancer free after the surgery. It could swing either way.”
“Could is the operative word here” Joey replied. “Let’s try to look on the positive side.”
JC groaned. “After the hellish few years I’ve had, I’m not sure I can.”
“Come on JC! please? for me?” Joey batted his eyelashes and flashed a cheesy grin.
The quintet broke into laughter again. JC was thankful for his brothers’ presence. They always knew how to cheer him up.
A minute later, Justin stated into the back window, which showcased the kitchen. "Uh, someone's coming and they look pissed."
Shit. JC knew it could only be one person. Eric must have found out about his disease second hand and was coming to confront him about it. Now he regretted keeping Eric in the dark because this excursion was about to escalate. "Excuse me a moment," he mumbled and rose to enter the house.
His manager blocked the doorway. "What the hell is this about?" He demanded.
"Look, Eric..."
Eric stomped over to his client. "Don't 'look' me, you bastard. Why didn't you tell me?"
"Because I knew you would berate me and blame me for having cancer." JC stated in a matter of fact tone.
Eric put his hands on his hips. "Since when have I done that? I've done nothing but help you, even though your ass puts me into millions in debt every year."
I doubt that. And your definitions of helping must be in another world than mine."I have surgery tomorrow and guests over. Can we talk about this later privately?"
"No. I won't take your wussy ways anymore." Eric pushed JC; a second later, Chris and Joey pinned Eric to the wall.
"Let me go," the assailant grumbled.
"Like hell I will," Chris snarled. "Don't you dare treat my brother like that. If you don't leave within the next minute, I'll call the cops on your ass."
The restrained nodded curtly and they let him go. Eric left without another word.
Roy stepped out of the kitchen. "Everything okay here, guys?"
JC, who had been watching in horror, choked back tears as he nodded. "Yeah. Eric pushed me but Chris and Joey stopped him."
"Is he gone?"
"Yes, sir. He is. I said we'd call the police I'd he didn't leave in the next minute," Chris answered.
"Good job. I tried to get him to leave but he pushed me aside. Anyway, there's chili on the stove that'll be ready any minute now. Lets get back to enjoying our afternoon, shall we?"
"Amen, Roy" Lance replied. "We'll be in shortly."
“Okay.” Roy closed the door.
JC was shaken and severely embarrassed his manager had burst in like that. “I’m…I’m so sorry guys. You shouldn’t have had to do that.”
“Look at me Joshua,” Chris instructed firmly.
Joshua? He couldn’t remember any of them calling him by his given name. It was either JC or any litany of nicknames they made up. His azure gaze met Chris’s concerned dark brown. “We’re here to support you and protect you from douchebags like him. You have a lot to deal with right now and we’ll make it a little easier to bear. We’re here for anything you need. You got me?”
JC nodded feebly. “Yeah. Let’s go inside. I could use some lunch and water.”

Within a few minutes, the relaxed mood returned. JC calmed down, surrounded by his biological and surrogate families. He hadn’t realized until then how much he missed times like this. He could let his guard down and had no worries for the moment. The group laughed and exchanged stories of times past. JC found himself smiling more than he had in months. This is fantastic. I wish I could feel like this more often.

A few hours later, the guys cited other obligations they had to take care of. One by one, JC hugged each one and thanked them for their support and coming over. Even so, he knew words couldn’t do justice to his feelings of gratitude. Finally, only Justin was left.
“I’m not ready to go home just yet,” the younger man said.
“You don’t have to stay Justin. You’ve done more than enough,” JC replied.
“I want to, though. Can we talk some more or do you want to rest your voice?”
Mainly his throat hurt at the end of the day when everyone was gone. But now that Justin mentioned it, he did have some long suppressed thoughts he might as well express while he could. “Yeah, we can talk some more. You want to go back outside?"
"Sure"

The duo sat back down in the same two chairs they had been in during the group chat. "I'm sorry he treated you like shit."
JC shrugged. "It's okay. I'm used to being second best."
"No, it's not right!" Justin exclaimed. "You deserve better than that. You deserve to succeed just as much, if not more so, than I do. We both know you could sing circles around anyone out there if you tried."
He snorted. "Try telling that to the Jive executives. I was always the ugly step child compared to you, their golden boy who could do no wrong." JC knew he sounded harsh, but it was the truth.
Justin frowned. "I should've tried to help you more... tried to get them to see what a talent you are."
"Were, Justin. This cancer will probably rob me of my voice."
"You don't know that for sure," his friend countered. "Like Joey said, lets try to stay positive."
JC sighed. "You guys make it sound so easy. Try always hearing that you're second best, not good enough as someone else and they rather believe in that person. Try throwing your heart and soul into two straight albums that no one thinks will do jack. And the second one didn't even leave the office. That fucking hurts, man. As much as I love singing, I want nothing to do with the business anymore."
Awkward silence ensued for several minutes. This is the reason I've kept my mouth shut. I don't want him to feel bad for his success. He's talented in his own right and has legions of fans that will come back, no matter how long he's been away from music. I'm probably an afterthought. As it should be.
"Today reminded me of the old days." Justin finally said. How we focused on being friends first, who just happened to be a talented group. I shouldn't have turned my back on that and I'm sorry I did. I missed the person I was with you guys and it was nice to be him again."
"You think he could show up more often?" JC teased.
He smiled. "I think so. It just boggles my mind how the same group of people can be so nice to one person and such jackasses to another."
JC shrugged. "I don't know what goes through their minds. Whatever helps them sleep at night."
"Was anyone there nice to you?"
"Jenna Timbrook. She worked for the PR department. She was there while I worked on 'Kate'. We had some great conversations about the music."
"I met her a few times. She always had a notebook with her."
"Yeah. She still up for me a few times and believed in me when no one else did." He sipped some water. "I ran into her at an event recently and we've gone out to coffee a few times."
"Are y'all dating?"
JC shook his head. "Oh no. That's the last thing I need to worry about right now."
"You like her, though. I can tell by your expression. You had a certain face you'd make when you were feeling a girl."
"I do enjoy her company. You might see her tomorrow; I don't know." He paused. "I'm glad we had this talk, J."
"So am I. It doesn't feel as tense."
"I don't want you to thinking mad at you or something."
"Hey, it's okay. I understand. Let's put it behind us and concentrate on our next obstacle: beating cancer."
"Gee, no pressure Timberlake" JC replied sarcastically before they both laughed.
Justin put his hand on JC's."You can do this, C. I believe in you."
JC smiled. "Thanks, bro. I love you."
"I love you, too."
Chapter 11 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is fiction. Original characters are mine.

I hope you all like this chapter. Certain parts of this installment were theraputic to me. It was like the character was talking to me instead of the story! 

Sleep evaded JC that night. Worries and fears bombarded his mind from all directions. With every grunt and flop on the mattress, the thoughts only got worse. Around five a.m., he surrendered and processed his feelings about the upcoming surgery.

Cancer. The word sounded so cold and harsh. He’d known others with the disease, even lost two of his grandparents in his lifetime. Yet he still had trouble wrapping his mind around his condition. This didn’t happen to young, fit, active people like him, did it? Sure, maybe to men who smoked and drank alcoholic levels of illegal beverages and who were at least 20, 30 years older. But cancer didn’t give a damn. It didn’t give a damn who JC was, that he had been healthy all his life or that he could do backflips across the stage night after night. It’s a cruel and harsh reality and the sooner JC accepted that, the sooner he could heal.

The road ahead of him would be long and daunting. Even if the surgery was successful, there was no guarantee the disease was completely gone. He was scared of chemotherapy. Through research he’d found out the treatment could make you just as if not even more sick than the original offender. Needles will be a daily occurrence. Maybe the exposure will desensitize me. I highly doubt it. I’ve hated needles since I can remember. And even chemo wasn’t set in stone to work. Still, he had to try. The past few days reminded him that, in fact, he did have people in his corner that would miss him if he died. And he couldn’t stand the thought of hurting them.

What’s going to happen to my voice? I can’t bear not being able to sing. I’ve been singing since I was a kid. He used to hum melodies under his breath while daydreaming. Karen tried to get him to sing at family functions, but he wasn’t ready. He liked those intimate moments, just him and his voice. And that carried over into adulthood. He enjoyed getting to know a song’s intricacies privately before sharing it with the world. Tunes sometimes stayed in his head for days before he wrote them down. His voice was an integral part of writing songs, which in turn carried him through difficult phases. He had no idea how he was going to cope with this new challenge.

A knock came at his door around 6:30. “Josh, are you awake?” It was Roy.
“Yeah, Dad. Come in.” He replied.
Roy gently opened and closed the entrance. “How did you sleep?”
“I didn’t.” JC groaned. “My brain wouldn’t shut up.”
“I don’t think your mother did, either. I heard her wake several times through the night.”
The younger man scooted up in bed as his dad sat down. “How are you this morning? You don’t need to pretend.”
“Exhausted and scared. I don’t know how to do this, Dad. I don’t know how to be a cancer patient.”
“No one does until you don’t have any other choice. It blindsided me when Dad got sick, too. But we had to face each day as it came.”
JC’s grandfather died of cancer when he was in his early twenties. He’d lived a healthful life beforehand: ran competitively, ate reasonably, and didn’t smoke or drink.
“It can happen to anyone. We can ask ourselves why this, why that, but it’s not going to get us anywhere.” Roy said.
JC snorted. “You make it sound so easy, Dad. This could rob me of something I’ve had my whole life.
“You don’t know that. Trust God that He gave the doctors the knowledge to treat you to the best of their ability. They will do all they can to help you. Maybe God’s trying to tell you something with this.”
“I have no idea what. Am I not allowed to be scared?”
Roy shook his head. “I didn’t say that, son. I’d be worried if you weren’t scared. It’s okay to share thoughts like this with me. However, I’m also trying to give you thoughts to comfort that fear. You’re in good hands. You have a support system and don’t be afraid to use it. We’re going to help you through this.”
“I’m so scared of the operation going wrong. That they might accidentally hit my chords while trying to get the tumor out. What if the chemo doesn’t work?”
Roy sighed. “Chemotherapy is a brutal treatment. I watched your grandfather go through it. But you can make it. Lots of people do.”
JC wasn’t around when his grandfather was ill. NSYNC was touring over in Europe at the time and it was like pulling teeth to get a few days off to go back to Maryland for the funeral. “Maybe I’d feel more ready for this if I’d seen Grandad sick.”
“No, it’s better you didn’t. It’s Hell seeing someone you love go through that. You have plenty of good memories with him. And what happened to him may not happen to you. Every case is different.”
“I hate that I don’t know what’s going to happen to me. That I don’t know what to expect.” He sighed, feeling another coughing fit coming on.
Roy smiled sadly. “It would make this seem a lot less daunting, wouldn’t it?”
“Yeah,” He coughed. “But I have to try. I have to fight. You guys have reminded me that I’m worth it and have something to live for.”
“Of course you are, Josh. Don’t let idiots like Eric make you think differently.”
JC rolled his eyes. “I don’t want to get started with him right now.”
“Don’t. All you have to worry about is getting better.”
JC smiled. “Thanks, Dad.”
“Anytime. Care to give your old man a hug?”
They both chuckled. “Of course. Heaven forbid I want to do something not masculine like hugging.” He replied sarcastically.
The duo hugged. “I love you, son.”
Warmth ran through his body. He and Roy didn’t say those words often, but he knew it was heartfelt. “I love you, Dad.”
They broke away. “Are you going to get ready?”
“Yeah. I need to get a shower because I’ll be too tired to move after surgery. Not to mention staying overnight afterwards.”
“We better get going; you have to be at the hospital at 8.”
“Don’t remind me. Let me have a moment’s peace before the storm.”
Roy nodded. “I completely understand.”

A moment later, JC let the water run to heat up as he stripped layers one by one. This would be his last moments before he officially came became a cancer patient. He didn’t to start, but at the same time, he was tired of dwelling on the fear. Now was time to be proactive. He was going to try to get better. He had to try. He moaned in pleasure as the warm water hit his skin. For now, at least, the worries could wash down the drain.

Tension echoed in the deafening silence as the Chasez family went through the motions. When JC arrived downstairs, everyone was picking at cinnamon rolls and sipping their coffee of choice. JC wasn’t allowed to consume anything. Even if he could, the nausea overwhelmed him and he knew he wouldn’t have been able to keep a morsel down. No one spoke on the car ride over, either. Trivial talk seemed inappropriate in this context.

The hospital had a room ready for him when he arrived. The nurse, Wendy, instructed him to put on a hospital gown. He was allowed to keep his boxers on. Once alone, JC shook his head at the garment. I haven’t seen one of these since NSYNC filmed I Drive Myself Crazy back in the day. I see the designs haven’t changed. The gown was a muted blue with little circles all over and dinky ties in the back. I suppose it’s better than that elephant patterned one I wore. They’d filmed the video in a closed mental hospital. He was a little uneasy at first; the place had a cold and haunting aura about it. But as time went on, he eased into the character for the video. Hopefully my depression isn’t so bad that I’ll have to admit myself for real during treatment. He sighed. As much as he wanted to say that struggle could wait, it couldn’t. Cancer and depression coincided with one another. How one battle was going determined the other’s fate. He dressed and lay down on the rickety bed.

Wendy came back with a shiny chrome needle attached to a tube. It was his IV. Calm down, it’ll be only one pinch.
JC cringed. “Oh, I hate those.”
She nodded sympathetically. “I understand. Even though I prick patients all the time, I hate getting them myself.”
Wow, even a nurse doesn’t like them and she works with them daily. He smiled. “Really? You don’t get desensitized?”
Wendy started attaching the tube to the machine. “Not really. See, I’m giving them to other people, not myself. So I’m not the one feeling it. I still hate it, even though I’ve been a nurse 15 years.”
“Maybe it won’t hurt so much with having you as my nurse,” he winked.
The woman blushed. “You’re a charmer, aren’t you?”
JC shrugged. “Well, every girl under 20 thought so about 15 years ago.”
“Oh! I didn’t realize who you were until you said that. I missed that phase. I’d graduated college by then and started a family.”
“Yeah, it was nuts. But a lot of fun, too.”
“Relax your right hand. Now, hold still. It’ll be over before you know it.”
JC took a deep breath and relaxed. The pinch came and went within a matter of seconds. Wendy taped down his IV to his hand.
“Okay. Dr. Franklin and Dr. Burgess, the anesthesiologist, will be here in a moment for a final briefing. Your family will also come back here, so they can ask any last questions before the surgery. Then, you’ll get the anesthesia and we’ll be ready to go.”
JC nodded. I’m about to go under the knife. This is really happening. The reality was ingrained now. And it made him nauseous once again. He started coughing.

The coughing subsided a few moments later. Karen arrived first and immediately rushed to her son’s side. She held his hand as he fought through the episode. He breathed heavily, attempting to relax.
“Oh, honey,” she said.
“Is anyone else here?” He whispered.
“Your dad, Heather and Tyler will be here in a second. Your NSYNC friends are out in the waiting room as well, along with your uncle and aunt and Matt.”
JC’s jaw dropped. Coming over to the house was one thing, but coming to the hospital at eight a.m. to waiting for him to get out of surgery? He was flabbergasted. “All of them?”
“All four,” she replied as the rest of the family arrived.

Dr. Franklin and Dr. Burgess followed a moment later. “How are you doing, JC?” Gavin asked.
JC waved his hand slightly. “I’m just ready to get this over with.”
Dr. Franklin nodded. “I don’t blame you. I’ll cut off the lesion in surgery today. The wound will stay open because sewing it shut could possible damage your cords further. Therefore, strict vocal rest follows. No sounds whatsoever for the first two days. The cut will need to heal. I’ll refer you to a voice therapist so you can learn how to talk without damaging it. Also, you’ll come back to my office a week from now to talk about how this goes and where we go from there.”
Yikes, that sounds like bundles of fun. Sounds good.” JC said.
“I’ll give you general anesthesia, so you won’t feel any of that.” Dr. Burgess chimed in.
“Oh, good. That endoscopy was scary enough.”
“I’ll start putting the medicine in the IV; you’ll have a few minutes with your family before it takes effect.” Dr. Burgess said.
Roy was the first to approach him. “You’re so brave for doing this, Josh. You’ll be okay.”
“Love you, Dad. So glad you’re here.”
“Anytime.” Roy squeezed his hand reassuringly.
Karen was next. He saw tears brimming in her eyes. JC’s heart sunk; he was the reason for her tears and he hated that fact. “I’ll be okay, Mom. Don’t worry about me.”
“That’s what mothers do, honey.” She kissed his forehead. “I love you so much.”
Heather simply hugged him and kisses his cheek. Tyler hugged his older brother and role model into a bear hug. “Love you, bro.” the younger Chasez whispered.
Just like he and Roy, JC didn’t say those three words out loud to Tyler often. It was more of an unspoken fact. Yet it was still heartfelt when spoken. “Love you, Ty.”
They let go. Wendy asked the Chasezes to leave so they could finish prepping JC for surgery. He felt light headed; the anesthesia must have been working.
“How are you feeling?” Wendy asked.
“Dizzy and sleepy. Is that normal?”
She nodded. “Oh, yes. You’ll be out before you know it. Most patients tell me they don’t notice the transition.”
And just like that, JC was transported into dreamland.
Chapter 12 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is fiction; original characters are mine. 

 I've got the rest of this story pretty much outlined. Rest assured, it's not going to end any time soon.  Hope you all like this chapter. Thank you so much for reading. It means a lot. 

The following hours were agonizing for the waiting room occupants. Some dealt by looking at their smart phones, others by mindlessly watching the television or reading a book. Conversation was sometimes initiated, but it didn’t usually last longer than a few minutes. Chris provoked a few laughs with his jokes. He shrugged and said humor was how he dealt with stressful situations.

Meanwhile, Justin pondered away from the others. He couldn’t stop thinking about the conversation he and JC had the night before. He was sickened that greedy executives killed his best friend’s passion for singing. Every day for eight years he and the other guys worked to the bone to perfect their craft. JC never settled for less than everyone’s best. His determination pushed the other guys’ buttons at times, but they knew he had good intentions. How could the higher ups look at him and not see talent? And here Justin was, a multi-million selling artist in his own right and the same group was at his beck and call. He couldn’t suppress the guilt. The pain in JC’s eyes was obvious.

Chris sat down beside Justin and nudged him. “Hey, are you doing okay?”
Justin sighed. “I didn’t expect it to affect me this much.”
“Yeah, it’s hard on all of us. He doesn’t deserve what’s happening.”
“It’s more than that. Of all people in this world…” He shook his head. “He was the best singer of all of us. We all knew that. Not to mention worked his ass off. And now life’s being so cruel.”
“I’m still shocked, too. I gave him a hard time, but always respected his talent.”
“The hardest thing is I’ve known JC since I was 10. He’s always been an older brother figure to me, someone I’ve looked up to and aspired to be. Then I turned my back on our friendship and it took this for me to realize what a stupid move that was.” Justin sighed.
“Don’t beat yourself up. We’re here for him now, when it counts. And I’m sure it means a lot to him.”
Justin cleared his throat. “You’re right. Even though he probably won’t be able to say so after the surgery. A friend had vocal nodules years ago and he wasn’t allowed to talk for several days afterward.”
Chris smirked. “Oh, that’s going to be a trip. You’re trying to motion what you what and the other person can’t figure it out. Then you’re like, ‘For God’s sake, that’s not it.’ ”
Justin laughed. “That reminds me of the time one of us had laryngitis. I can’t remember who it was. But we made jokes that they were our resident mute or something like that.”
“It was me.” Lance chimed in. “Thankfully we didn’t have any performances, but it was miserable.”
“I remember that and teasing you relentlessly.” Chris replied.
Lance shrugged. “And I would have expected nothing less from you.” He paused. “This is fun. We should get together more often.”
“And preferably not in a hospital waiting room.” Justin said sarcastically.
“Of course not.” Joey said.

Then Wendy, JC’s nurse, came into the waiting room. Everyone’s eyes shifted in her direction. “How’s he doing?” Karen asked.
“We just finished surgery. A couple girls are taking him back to the hospital room. The surgery was successful. Most of the tumor was removed. We are leaving the incision open to heal properly. Therefore, he’s on strict vocal rest for the next 48 hours. No sounds whatsoever. Dr. Franklin will be along in a few minutes.”
“Thank you, Wendy.” Roy said.
She smiled and left the room.

10 minutes later, Dr. Franklin arrived. He smiled slightly and his complexion glowed, even after completing a surgery. “I have mainly good news for you all. I was able to remove most of the tumor.”
“I sense a ‘but’ coming here,” Tyler said.
The doctor nodded. “That you are correct. There’s a slight bit more cancerous tissue under the skin than I anticipated but I didn’t see it until the operation was nearly complete. It’s not enough to warrant a second surgery at this time. Hopefully the drugs will kill that tissue off. If not, we may need to increase the treatment or consider surgery again.”
“When will he start chemo?” Roy asked.
“It’ll be at least a week. That incision needs to heal and the drugs would irritate it tremendously. My plan is chemo once a week for six months. He’ll undergo frequent testing to see how it’s going and make changes as needed.”
“Wendy said he can’t make any sound for 48 hours.” Karen told him.
“Yes. He’ll also have some nausea and dizziness. We’ll keep him here today for observation and he should be able to go home tomorrow sometime. I recommend someone stay with him for at least a day.”
“How do you think he’ll do?” Justin asked.
“I’m optimistic. It wasn’t a huge tumor, so that’s a blessing. We’re not out of the woods by any means. Now he needs to heal and we can start the treatment process. I’m hoping for a full recovery, but it’ll be a long road to get there. But I promise you, I’ll do everything in my power to combat this disease.”
“Thank you, Dr. Franklin. He’s in good hands with you as his doctor.” Roy said.
Dr. Franklin smiled. “I do my best. Good to see everyone.” He shook hands with everyone in the room. “Wendy will let you know when he’s awake and ready for visitors.”

--

Am I done already? Wendy was right; he didn’t notice the transition to medicated slumber at all. It seemed like mere seconds ago he was talking to her. Now, here he was in the hospital bed with a throbbing throat and dizzy head. I really hope this will work. I almost feel worse now than I have over the past few months. He opened his eyes; the room was only occupied by his bed and medical machines.
Dr. Franklin walked in. “Oh good, you’re awake. How are you feeling?”
How am I supposed to tell you when I can’t talk? He pointed to his head and throat.
“Those hurt?”
JC nodded.
“That’s completely normal. The surgery went pretty well. I was able to cut off the tumor. However, some cancerous cells still reside in your throat. It’s a miniscule amount, so I left it there for the time being. Hopefully the chemo will kill those cells off. If not, we’ll revisit the option of a second surgery.”
Well, that’s good to know.
“I’m going to keep you here overnight for observation. If all goes well, you can go home tomorrow sometimes. No talking whilst here and at least the first day at home. And after that, I suggest imposing limits, such as speaking only when necessary.”
Lovely. The next few days will be great fun.
“I have high hopes for you, JC. You did well, even though you may not feel like it right now.”
JC smirked. How does this guy know exactly what I’m thinking right now?
Dr. Franklin chuckled. “I know that look. I’ve bombarded you with enough information. We’ll be in touch.”
“Thank you.” The patient lipped.
“You’re welcome. Wendy will be here to check on you.” The two men shook hands and the doctor left the room.

Visitors slowly filed in over the next hour. First was his family and they discussed plans for the next few days. Karen would stay with him at least two days after he was allowed to go home. JC wanted to protest, but reminded himself he’d probably need the help and she wouldn’t want to do anything else. Next were his group mates. He wished he could express his gratitude for their presence in more than hand gestures. Then again, no words could come close. Lance led a circle group prayer like they used to before every show. JC was reassured by their collective friendship. Finally, Matt came in and sat with him for a few minutes. He was grateful for Matt; they’d gotten closer in recent years. The past few weeks reassured JC that he was a true friend.

He stirred with another knock at the door a few hours later. The footsteps were light with long strides between clicks of flat shoes hitting the ground. He opened his eyes to find Jenna standing over his bed. His eyes widened. She really came.
“Surprised, are you?” She teased.
A bit. He shook his hand slightly.
She sat down on the chair next to his bed. “How are you doing?”
JC swiped his finger across his throat to indicate he couldn’t talk.
Jenna blushed. “Oh, right. I should have known that.”
I want to talk to her somehow. Oh, maybe we can write to each other. We’ll see how awake I am. He pretended to scribble on his palm.
Jenna understood his question and dug through her purse for a notepad and pen She motioned to him but he shook his head. “You first,” He lipped.

(Note: Jenna's answers are in bold, JC in italic.) 

She crossed her legs and placed the notepad on her lap. She penned an answer and handed it to him.
How are you doing? Has your doctor come to see you?
He studied her handwriting before answering. It had an ease about it and curved in the right places, like her body. He gripped the pen and slowly wrote. Yes. He removed the tumor. Still have to do treatment to make sure cancer is gone.
She smiled. Is your prognosis good?
He seemed optimistic. We’ll see.
I’m glad it went well.
He was more relaxed with her here. It almost didn’t matter that he was voiceless. The care and concern in her features spoke for itself. Her eyes focused on him and her mouth formed halfway between a smile and frown. She was beautiful, as always. I wonder what it would be like to kiss those lips. No! Shut up. You can’t be thinking about that right now.
After a moment of comfortable silence, Jenna said: “Well, I think I’ll be going then.”
JC pouted and gave her puppy dog eyes.
She laughed. “Don’t give me those. Your cuteness is making it hard.”
That’s the point, Jenna. I don’t want you to leave. He smiled and shrugged, as if to say “I can’t help I’m so irresistible.”
“Oh, you little devil. No wonder women fawn all over you.”
Yeah, but not many of them would be siting where you are right now. He frowned, and returned to the notepad. Thank you for coming.
You’re welcome. I wanted to see that you were okay.
I am, just tired.
“Pardon me to keep you from resting, then.” She replied sarcastically.
I don’t care. You make the pain go away with your voice, JC thought. He handed her notebook and pen back to her.
“Thanks. Text me if you need anything, okay?”
I may take you up on that, even if it’s an excuse to see you. He nodded.
“I’ll see you later.” She briefly squeezed his right hand before leaving.
JC caressed where she just touched. She left behind a kind of warmth that he hadn’t had in some time. It was something only a woman could provide. He couldn’t decide if he liked the attention Jenna gave him or her as whole. But how many women would do what she just did? Not many and certainly not ones who only wanted him for superficial reasons. He was amazed at their progress. They’d only reconnected mere four weeks ago. She had to be enjoying their friendship somewhat. Was she hiding feelings as well? Come on, bro. Not now. She’s your friend and you enjoy her company. Still, he wasn’t sure how much longer that answer would be satisfactory.

Chapter 13 by acciolovesong
Chapter 13

JC didn’t realize how much he relied on vocal communication until that was taken away. His throat hurt tremendously, so he couldn’t talk even if he was allowed to. Hand gestures yielded mixed results and he didn’t have the energy to write for an extended period. I have no idea how I’m going to manage at home. I’d rather be alone but I know Dr. Franklin wants someone taking care of me for at least a day after I get out of here. And Mom will smother me. God love her, but I see that coming.

He was released late the next morning. Heather and Tyler left as they had jobs; they promised to return as soon as possible. Roy and Karen would stay until Wednesday. She had mentioned finding a temporary residence in California while JC was in treatment. Roy was reluctant; he wasn’t sure they’d be able to find a place. I can’t keep leaving my son while he’s going through this, she had said. JC hated how he was causing his parents so much stress and no amount of reassurance could shake that guilt.

Once back home, he retreated to his room. He needed sleep; hospital beds weren’t the most comfortable apparatuses to sleep on. Plus he’d been surrounded by people since waking up from surgery. He needed to process what was happening alone. However, exhaustion overtook him the second his head hit the pillow.

Throat muscles throbbed in claustrophobic closeness when he awoke a few hours later. The feeling was similar to when he walked through the door after diagnosis. Fatigue still flowed through his system, as if he hadn’t slept a wink. Remind me why I agreed to do this. I feel like I’ve been hit by a bus.

He turned over. The bedside table had his phone, a notepad and pen, and a full glass of ice water. Mom must have arranged that for me. I wonder how many times she’s been up here. It wouldn’t surprise him; she had barely left his bedside after the surgery. While he valued her company, it wasn’t conducive to self-reflection. He scooted up and reached for the water. The cool sensation relaxed his muscles temporarily.

Karen and Roy came in a few minutes later. “How are you feeling, honey?” She asked, sitting down next to him.
He frowned and pointed to his throat.
“It’s hurting you?”
You have no idea, Mom. JC nodded.
“Say something, Joshua.” She pleaded.
“You know he’s not allowed to, honey,” Roy said calmly. “His incision has to heal.”
TO HELL WITH THAT!” Karen replied. “I JUST WANT MY SON TO TALK TO ME!” She then started to cry.
JC immediately wrapped his mom in a hug. He wanted to talk to her just as much as she did him, but didn’t know how. Once again, guilt overwhelmed him. He was the reason she was crying and he couldn’t stomach that. If every day was like today, he wasn’t sure how he could make it through this war.
A few minutes later, she calmed down. “I’m so sorry, honey. I didn’t mean to.”
“It’s okay,” he lipped and kissed her check.

After Karen had gone to bed, he decided to write her a note. Then he could voice all his frustration that he hadn’t been able to convey in gestures and facial expressions. He was worn out from the culmination of events, but he wanted her to known these things before she went back to Maryland.

Mom,

I’m sorry. I’m sorry for the stress you’re going through because of me. I wish it didn’t have to be this way. I’m just as frustrated as you are. I’ve wanted to tell you how treatment isn’t merely theoretical anymore because of the surgery. That my life will never be the same again. That I hurt so much that I wonder if starting this journey is worth it. Please be patient with me. More days like this lie ahead of us. But maybe if we weather this storm, brighter days will lie ahead. I need your support. Hang in there with me, please. I love you.

-Josh

His mother apologized profusely again the next morning. “No harm done,” JC had responded, his first words since the surgery. They hugged for a solid minute after. He exchanged “I love yous” with both Roy and Karen at his front door. As he watched them drive away, a sense of relief came over him. While he loved his family, he needed some peace and quiet to process what had happened.

What was next? The surgery had gone according to plan, but would that affect the treatment schedule? Or did Dr. Franklin already have a set plan, regardless of results? He was glad to have the surgery over with, because it that meant the cancer was being treated. Speculation now took a backseat to proactive measures. That comforted him in a way. Still, he wasn’t without nerves. He hadn’t researched chemotherapy and didn’t know what to expect.

Research took up the next few days. Two options were available: medication by mouth or via an IV tube. JC hoped it would be the former; he hated needles with a passion. He didn’t like the idea of a metal object in his body nor the accompanying pain. Still, he’d follow Dr. Franklin’s orders if that was what’s best for his treatment.

Friends came and went through the week. Matt brought JC food several times since he didn’t cook. Joey came by for laughs and companionship. Even Eric showed up for a few minutes and feigned concern. JC knew the relationship was at a turning point; he needed to prepare for the impending explosion.

JC swung his legs nervously on the patient table during his final appointment before chemo began. He hated waiting for the doctor alone. Even though he knew Dr. Franklin, the anticipation of seeing a physician always made him nauseous. The sterile treatment room didn’t help matters.
Dr. Franklin entered the room with a smile. “How are you today?”
“Eh, hanging in there. Man, I hated the first 48 hours after surgery. You don’t realize how much you use your voice until you aren’t allowed to use it.”
Gavin nodded. “Patients tell me that a lot. I don’t know how they do it; I’d go insane.”
“You manage a way.” He paused. “What’s the plan of action?”
“I’ll put you on high grade medication via IV that you’ll receive once a week. If you’re not responding to treatment and the cancer gets worse, we’ll have to reevaluate.”
“Do you think I will?”
“I’m certainly hopeful, but it’s not a guarantee. Your medical history favors recovery. However, life doesn’t happen on paper. We can predict, but we don’t know if it’ll go that direction.”
JC sighed. “Yeah. I’m ready to start doing something about it. It’s maddening enough worrying and waiting for treatment to start.”
Gavin nodded sympathetically. “I understand. So, let’s talk logistics. Do you have any questions or concerns for me?”
“I’m concerned about privacy and don’t want to be bothered while I’m in treatment. I have enough to worry about as it is.”
Dr. Franklin nodded. “Don’t worry; I can arrange a private room while the drugs are administered. It’s easy to do, but costs more.”
The patient waved his hand. “I’ll pay it. It’s worth it to me.”
“And if any press should call asking for information, we won’t give them any. As with any patient, you have control over who you share your information with.”
“Thank you. I’m not ready to talk about this publicly yet.”
“I understand. I can imagine trying to deal with something like this while the world watching. Still, I’ll try my damn hardest to give you the best care and in a relaxing atmosphere.”
JC smiled lightly. Dr. Franklin had gone above and beyond already; he was in good hands. “Thank you, Gavin. I’m glad you’re my doctor. You’ve made me feel comfortable with this process.”
“That’s what I’m here for. I’ll stop by tomorrow while you’re receiving the drugs to check on you.”

The next morning he entered the hospital. After checking in, one of the nurses led him to a private treatment room. A red recliner like chair with a metal table of medical tools awaited him. No turning back now. He gingerly sat down.
“I’ll cover the window so no one will know you are here,” she said.
JC nodded. “Thank you.”

Wendy arrived a few minutes later with a bag on a cart. “Hey. What are you doing here?” He asked.
“I work for Dr. Franklin and he assigns me to different patients of his. So, he assigned me to you and two others.”
JC relaxed. “Oh, good. So are you drugging me up today?”
“Yep. I’ll administer your treatment through IV. We’ll have to use your arm because the veins are stronger than in your hand.”
The patient shuddered inwardly.
“I know you don’t like these. I’ll aim for as painless as possible.”
“Yeah. I’ll see a lot of them the next few months, so I better get used to it.”
Wendy asked him to lay out his right arm. He did and she tied elastic tape above the elbow. Then, she exposed the needle. “Doing okay?”
He nodded.
She pierced his skin and he groaned. “This will have to stay for about an hour while your body intakes the medicine.”
He sighed. “I hate these things. They feel like a metal weapon is invading your body and taking blood from you.”
Wendy smiled knowingly. “I agree with that observation. I’ve had patients get used to them. One little boy was deathly afraid at first. I couldn’t even place them on this table without him crying. He had leukemia so I had to stick him anyway. It took a while but by the end, he didn’t flinch.”
“Is he better now?”
“Cancer free for over a year. Patients amaze me with their resiliency. I don’t know what I would do if I were put in that situation.” She stuck the needle in his arm.
JC flinched. “I have to try, if not for myself, then certainly for my loved ones. I can’t stand the thought of leaving them behind and mourning my absence.”
Wendy nodded. “That’s the first step in recovery: finding reasons. Ultimately, you’ll have to do this for yourself. No one can fight this for you. Yes, they can help you all they want. But it’s up to you how to proceed.”
It is up to me. And that puts a burden on my shoulders like you wouldn’t believe. “That’s a daunting thought.”
She taped his IV to his arm. “Take it one day at a time. I’ve seen patients many times over get overwhelmed by the magnitude and can’t focus on anything else. If you survive one day, you’ll get to the next day. And if you survive that day, you’ll go on and so forth. Sometimes the hardest battle is living through one day. But then you’ll be so grateful you did.”
JC glanced at the medicine bag hanging from the cart. “Yeah, like all I want to do right now is get this treatment over with.”
“That’s how to look at it. Can I get you anything else while you receive treatment, sweetie?”
“Nah, I’m think I’m good.”

In the shower that night, he noticed a larger than usual clump of hair fell out from the wash. He gasped. You’ve got to be kidding me. It can’t start already. The treatment was this morning. Wait. If I’m this shocked at the first loss, how could I handle the next few months? I don’t know. He continued washing.

More hair came off as he dried off a few minutes later. What is this? JC glanced at his naked reflection. The hair line had receded ever so slightly. He approached the mirror and ran his fingers through his hair again. It felt limper and more fragile than the last shower. How could have one treatment done so much damage to his body in efforts to eradicate one tiny tumor? He noticed several black wisps remained on his hands. He sighed. The decaying process had already begun. Maybe I should just shave it off. The closest thing he’d ever had to a shaved head was a Caesar cut in NSYNC’s European days. At least then he had hair. This meant only flesh would be visible. He closed his eyes, trying to picture himself bald and couldn’t. He’d hate watching his hair disappear until it no longer existed. It might be indicative of his future. However, staring at a hairless reflection would be a constant reminder. You’re battling a horrible disease that isn’t natural. Things have to change for a while. Cancer isn’t pretty. It’s gritty, raw and real.

What will Devon think? Devon was JC’s hairstylist. They liked one another but didn’t hang out besides when JC came into his shop. He knew his client had cancer and was quite sympathetic; they’d spoken on the phone recently. JC knew Devon would schedule him quickly if he decided to shave his head. Still, it wouldn’t feel right if he went alone. As much as he didn’t want to admit it, losing his hair would be a blow to his confidence. The short brown hair had been his signature look for a number of years. Now he had to accept his new reality as a cancer patient and that would be just another step in that process. He needed a close friend to go with him. Maybe that was weak to say so, but he couldn’t face this ordeal alone. Deciding who, on the other hand, was another story. It had to be someone he trusted.

Are you sure this is the right thing to do? He stared at his reflection once more. Not much had changed in ten years other a few age lines. Was he ready for such a drastic alteration? The alternative was unnerving at worst. I guess I need to suck it up and do it. Neither option is appealing, but I have to choose one. He didn’t have much control these days, but he could choose a path regarding this. If he must lose his hair, it had to be in one instance.


Chapter 14 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Stoiry is fiction; original characters are mine. 

I'm up for 4 awards if y'all would like to check that out. I appreciate your support SO MUCH! It keeps me going in writing this story. I did some more outlining today (more ideas keep coming!) So I hope you all like this installment. Please enjoy and feel free to leave feedback. 

Tell 14
Another week and treatment passed by. The side effects (nausea, fatigue and sore throats) were manageable for the time being. However, he knew not to get complacent; he’d read the side effects could get worse later on. He didn’t like the idea of regurgitating his guts several times a day, but that’s what he signed up for. He had to do this to have a prayer at singing again.

Roy and Karen found a small apartment for a six month lease about two miles from JC’s house. The place was furnished, so they didn’t have to worry about lugging their furniture cross country. The house in Maryland was paid off, so they could afford to temporarily relocate. JC hated that they had to make such a change, but Roy reassured him it wasn’t any different from when Karen moved with him to Florida. 

He’d also batted back and forth about shaving his head. The prospect of a significant alteration to his look scared him. What’s so different between that and what you’re going through? It was the visual change. At the moment the cancer was invisible at first glance. A shaved head would be a palatable reminder that things had changed. An especially thin spot near the temple facilitated a phone with Devon, his hair stylist. They agreed on 10 p.m. the next evening, long after the salon was closed and they had less likelihood of being overheard and discovered. JC wasn’t ready to deal with cancer in the public eye. He’d have to say something eventually, but now wasn’t that time.

He sent out a few texts asking friends if they wanted to go with him to the appointment. Lance and Matt ended up with the most availability. They both agreed to meet him at eight for dinner and drinks. Maybe a little buzz in my system will make this easier. No amount of drinking could erase pain; it could only temporarily numb it. He had periods of binge drinking in his lifetime and it usually created the opposite effect from what he wanted.

A few minutes later, his phone vibrated again. He picked it up and noticed Jenna’s name on the screen. Oh, it’s her. His heart warmed slightly; he enjoyed getting her texts. “Hey, how are you today?” It read.
“I’m hanging in there,” he typed. “Can’t complain. How are you?”
“Relieved to actually have a chance to breathe. Do you need help with anything?”
Why is she concerned about me when she should take time for herself? He and Jenna had been texting back and forth since the surgery about his general progress. A defined boundary existed between them. If he invited her over, that line would immediately blur. I can’t risk that right now. That’s uncharted territory and not what I should be dealing with. I could get attached and she screws me over like every other woman I’ve dated. I could die and she would get hurt. No, I shouldn’t. It’s not worth it.

But you like being with her. JC sighed. That doesn’t mean I should put myself in a vulnerable position. What if she doesn’t follow up on her offers? What if it’s an act? I can’t see what good it would be for her if she was dating a cancer patient. She doesn’t strike me as fake, but I still wonder. No, I can’t let her get close. “I’m fine right now,” he typed. “Thank you for the offer, though.”
I hope she doesn’t take that personally. I do appreciate her kindness. She’s more attentive than people who have known me for years. Oh, how it would be nice to have a warm body next to me. No, you’re just thinking that because you’re lonely. Sex would open another can of worms. Keep your distance; it’s for the best. Oh sure, Chasez. Keep telling yourself that.
“You’re welcome. Just offering,” she replied. “I’m sorry if I’m pushing on you.”
You’re the furthest thing from pushy. If that was true, you wouldn’t respect my answer. You’d find any reason to get around this and make this situation about you. “Oh, no. You’re totally fine.”
Speaking of, I don’t know much about her. They mainly talked about his problems. While they were significant, sometimes all he wanted was an escape route. She could provide that for you, you know. But it also opens me up. I thought I settled this. Again, what is it about you, Jenna Timbrook? Why do I want to get to know you better? Why do I want to pursue a closer friendship with you? She elicited emotions he hadn’t had in years. Even the mere mention of her name prompted a boyish grin. He sighed and rubbed his chin. Curse you, Jenna. I have a feeling you’re not going away any time soon.

The trio met for dinner about eight. The three of them had only hung out together once; nonetheless, the conversation was light hearted and pleasant overall. JC ordered an appetizer and took his time to digest. Lance was surprised; JC had a reputation of being the fastest eater in NSYNC. He shrugged and said his nerves were slowing him down tonight.

They arrived at the salon around ten minutes before ten. Devon was already there, preparing his station. “Hey man, how are you?” he asked with a smile.
“Hanging in there, yourself?” They hugged quickly.
“Not bad. You brought some friends with you?”
“Yeah. Matt and Lance are here for moral support. Guys, this is Devon, my hairstylist.”
Devon shook hands with both of them. “So you two are here to make sure he doesn’t run the other way?”
“I wouldn’t put it past him. He ran away from an ear thermometer once,” Lance replied.
JC rolled his eyes as everyone else laughed. “I was a teenager then!”
“Sorry, Shazaam. You’re not going to live that one down as long as I’m alive!”
“Oh wow, that one’s a blast from the past.” JC sat down in the leather chair. He took in a few deep breaths as Devon prepped him for the haircut. You can do this. It’s just hair and will grow back. This is only a temporary solution and will be a blip in the grand scheme. Relax and wnjoy this time with your friends.
“Alright, ready?”
“Turn me around,” JC instructed. “I don’t want to watch.”
“Are you sure?” Devon asked. “It might be easier to see the progress so it’s not so shocking when I’m done.”
JC waved his hand. “Just do it, man. I’ve had enough sugarcoating. I rather get this over with.”
“You got it.” Devon spun the chair around.
“You’re so calm, C.” Matt remarked.
They’re more nervous than I am. “Hey, this is what I have to do. The anxious energy is out of my system now.”
Devon flipped the switch. JC shuddered internally at the low hum of the razor. It wasn’t the object itself he was afraid of. It was the completion of his new reality as a cancer patient. Now he couldn’t hide; it was time to tackle this once and for all.
Clumps of ebony hair landed on his shoulders as Devon glided the tool across his scalp. I haven’t seen that much hair at one time.
No one spoke for a moment. I can’t stand the silence. It’s like I’m attending my own funeral. “What’s with the silence, guys? It’s not like I’m dying right now!”
“I’m glad you have this haircut,” Devon said. “The Jesus haircut would have been a pain and half to shave.”
All three laughed, while JC shook his head. “Oh, man that was a pretty bad one, wasn’t it? I was just too lazy to get a haircut, evidently.”
“It was not one of your shining fashion moments, dude.” Lance stated.
JC scoffed playfully. “Like you had any better, with your silky satin shirts and frosted tips.”
“Hey! I own up to that shit. We all wore those shirts, don’t even lie!”
“But I looked better!” JC stuck his tongue out.
“Your skinny ass could make anything look good! Even those gaudy glitter suits from Rolling Stone.”
Those suits would give that guy from Twilight a run for his money. “I can’t help that I was born with astronomical metabolism.”
“Well, that’s about to end. You won’t keep anything down during treatment.” Matt said.
That was buzzkill. For a moment I forgot about what’s going on. Awkward silence ensued for a few moments as Devon put the finishing touches on his new look.
“You’re done,” his stylist finally said.
JC rubbed his scalp. The skin was rough and ragged. Wow, it’s really gone. I’m not sure I’m ready to see this. “It’s gone.”
“I just did what you asked me to. Are you ready to see yourself?”
“I don’t have a choice, do I? Just do it.”
Devon turned his chair around. JC gasped. He was almost unrecognizable sans hair. His forehead wrinkles were more prominent. I feel naked right now. This is the most drastic appearance change I’ve ever made. Wetness bordered his eyes. I’m speechless. There’s no words that can do justice to what I feel right now. He sighed and buried his face in his hands.
Matt came over and silently rubbed his back. “Thank you.” JC whispered.
After a few minutes, JC looked over at Lance. His friend’s teeth gently bit his bottom lip as he frowned. Tears also glistened in his emerald eyes.
“What’s wrong, bro?”
He cleared his throat. “This is really staggering. I’ve known you for so long… I never thought I’d have to see you like this.”
“It’s still me. I haven’t changed inside.” JC reassured him.
“I know… but it’s not the same.” He sighed and wiped his eye.
JC couldn’t remember if he’d seen Lance cry. Nonetheless, guilt retuned, as it always did when he saw anyone upset because of his circumstances. “I’m sorry.”
Lance shook his head. “It’s fine. It’s not your fault.”
“But you’re sad.” JC replied. “And I don’t want you to be sad because of me.”
He chuckled. “You haven’t changed a bit. Still as selfless as the day I met you.”
JC shrugged. “I don’t see any reason to change.” He stood up and hugged Matt first. Then he moved over to Lance. They wrapped each other in the closest embrace of their lives.
“I love you, bro. I’m always here for you.” Lance whispered.
“I love you, too. Thank you for coming with me.”
“Not at all.” They broke away.
Finally JC turned to Devon, who had stepped aside momentarily. “Thank you, Dev. I really appreciate you making the effort to do this on my schedule.”
The stylist nodded. “You’re welcome. I’m happy to help you in any way I can. You don’t owe me any money.”
JC’s jaw dropped. He usually paid 50 dollars for cut and color. “Are you sure?”
“Yeah. You already have a lot of expenses with the chemotherapy. It’s not a big deal.”
He doesn’t have to do that. He went above and beyond to meet my request. JC shook Devon’s hand. “I appreciate it, man. You did a good job.”
“You’re welcome. I’ll be in touch with you. You’re in my thoughts and prayers.”
“Thank you. I’ll talk to you later.”
“Have a good evening.” Devon headed back to the staff longue.
I’ll pay anyway. He needs the money. JC then took a 50 dollar bill out of his wallet and put it in the tip jar.
“You didn’t need to do that.” Matt said.
JC shrugged. “I’d feel bad if I didn’t pay. He needs it more than I do.”
“Here, you want your hat?” Matt asked.
“Yeah. Hopefully people won’t notice a difference.” JC placed the baseball cap on his head.
“Now that looks like you,” Lance remarked with a wan smile.
“Do you think people will notice if I’m wearing a hat? And I want an honest answer. Don’t bullshit me,” JC stated.
“I don’t think so,” Lance replied. “The hat pretty much covers your head. There’s going to be at least one publication that’ll make up rumors, but so what else is new in this business?”
JC chuckled. “Nothing. It’s changed so much since our heyday, hasn’t it?”
“I know. Hey, once you get better, come on my radio show. I’ve had Joey and Chris as guests. I’d love to have you visit.”
He’d listened to Dirty Pop a few times. Lance was in his element; No subject was off limits and he fed off the energy of his co-hosts. “I’ll keep that in mind. Let’s go, guys. Time for the next phase in this chapter.”

Chapter 15 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is fiction; I only own original characters.

Hi all! I hit a wall with this chapter. However, I'm really happy with the end result. I hope you are too. Today is the last voting day; I'd be honored if you considered me in your voting. Thank you again for the support! Much love to you all. 

Chapter 15

Pain greeted JC in the morning. His stomach was a ticking time bomb; messy results could occur if he didn’t reach the bathroom in time. Right when I get up, eh body? You couldn’t allow a few minutes of peace. Really? He threw off the bedcovers and rushed to his destination.

After five painful minutes on the toilet, he stared at his reflection. He gasped again. What have I done? That’s not me. He brushed his hand across the smooth scalp. No sign of hair whatsoever. He hadn’t expected this to still be such a shock the next morning. He’d seen this last night, hadn’t he? Tears brimmed at the corners of his eyes. Damn, why am I crying so much lately? Nice of you to finally wake up, emotions. Today’s not going to be a good day, is it?

Next, his phone buzzed. Yep, today’s already bombarding me. Please let it not be Eric or someone like that. It was Karen. She probably wanted to ask him if he needed any errands run before she came over. Okay, I’ll answer it since its Mom.
“Hello?” He mumbled
“Sweetie, I’ll be going to the store on my way over here. Any specific requests?”
Ugh, food. That’s the last thing I want to think about right now. “No.”
“Are you sure?”
Why can’t she just accept my answer?
“Mom, I’m really sick this morning. Just get me what you want to make.”
“Just asking. I have a few freelance calls to make and then I’ll do that. Okay?”
“Fine.” He mumbled. “I’ll see you when you get here.”

Not even a second after they hung up, his phone buzzed again. Dammit, life. Can’t you give me a break? This time it was a text from Tyler. “How you doing, bro?”
JC sighed and looked at the time. 9:34. Tyler lived in Orlando; maybe he would be on his lunch break. JC needed to vent his frustration. He pressed “Call” and waited for his younger brother’s answer.

“Hey.”
“Mom is driving me crazy, Ty. She can’t just take what I say at face value.”
Tyler chuckled. “Everything followed with a “Are you sure?” or something like that?”
“Yeah. My body has already thrown me a middle finger this morning so I wasn’t in the mood. “
“What do you mean?”
“Let’s just say my bowels have been active. I’ll spare you the juicy details.” He smirked.
“Say no more. Are you feeling better now?”
“Enough that I don’t feel like I’m being murdered.” He replied sarcastically.
“I’ll take that as a yes.”
JC sighed. “Mom has good intentions, but I feel smothered. Like she thinks I could die any second or something. I’m not in that sad a shape.” At least I hope not.
“It’s the mother instinct. They have to always protect their kids from danger. It’s annoying as hell, granted, but it’s her way of showing us she cares.” Tyler replied.
“I feel guilty that they moved here for the treatment. It’s such a major change and it’s my fault.”
Tyler rolled his eyes. “JC, it’s not your fault you got sick. Get that out of your head right now. Mom and Dad love you and want to be there for you. You’re not an obligation.”
“Still, I hate that I turned their lives upside down.”
“No, the disease did,” Tyler reiterated. “You’re not defined by cancer; it’s simply another obstacle. If you invest your identity in this, cancer becomes that much harder to beat.”
JC groaned. He makes it sound so easy. It doesn’t feel that way to me. “Then what am I supposed to do? I feel like shit and it’s only going to get worse from here. What if it doesn’t get any better, Ty? What if I’m doomed to this for the rest of my life?”
“You don’t know that.”
“No, I don’t. But when I have depression fucking with my brain, too, it doesn’t help matters.”
“Oh. I had no idea. Why didn’t you tell us?”
“Because I didn’t want anyone to worry about me or jump to the wrong conclusion. I’m not suicidal, but it’s pretty fucked up inside my head right now.”
“Any reason or just an overall feeling?”
“Overall. I keep trying to pursue what makes me happy and it blows up in my face.”
“Jenkins didn’t know the talent he had. You and I both know that.”
He’s missing my point. Can’t anyone take my feelings about this seriously? "Yeah, logically I do. But what about my pride, my ego, my self-worth? Music is in my blood. And it fucking hurts when financial agendas overshadow passion. You don’t know how much that hurts.”
“You’re right, I don’t. I’m just trying to help you because I care.”
“It’s not that easy. I can’t just snap out of this and be fine. ‘Okay, it’s time to be happy now.’ This isn’t just another obstacle. On days like today, it feels like the universe wants me to stay down; it enjoys kicking me and laughing at my pain.”
Silence followed that admission. JC didn’t expect a response. What could be said? He simply wanted to state his position and try to get someone to understand what he felt.
“I’m sorry you feel that way, Josh.” Tyler finally said. “I don’t think that’s true.”
“Then what else could it be?”
“You’re being getting taken care of. You have the best medical team in the country behind you. You have a strong faith and support system.”
“Maybe I don’t want to look at the positive right now. Maybe all I need to for my sadness and frustration to be acknowledged and know it’s okay to feel that way.”
A phone rang in the background. “I have to go.”
Good. This conversation isn’t getting anywhere anyway. “That’s fine. Later.”

Why am I acting so terse with everyone? All they’re doing is caring. He doubted anyone really understood what he was feeling. Having your life in jeopardy is from illness must be something you must experience firsthand. Excessive positivity was draining. To have yourself together every second of your life? That was completely unrealistic. Sometimes he didn’t hear the trite ‘it gets better’. Couldn’t he just be sad, angry, frustrated? And have that be enough? Just to have someone hold him and say “I know, and you can handle this.” Was that too much to ask?

He’d felt more in the past month than he had in the last few years. He’d gotten so used to lack of emotion that he had wondered if he was even alive. Everything had remained suppressed and rose again a more intense and ferocious animal. Pain demanded to be felt, he’d read in a John Green novel recently. He didn’t think he was running away from his pain. Then again, as much as I’m talking about being screwed by Jive, maybe I’m not as over that as I thought I was.

After he left that fateful meeting, he’d gone home and cried. Emotion he’d suppressed during the ordeal rose to the surface once again. He couldn’t breathe, snot was pouring from his nose, he screamed, he punched his pillows. If he was walking around, something would have ended up broken. That was one of the lowest points of his life. He’d been humiliated in from of his coworkers and stripped of his dignity. He could count on one hand the times he’d cried like that.

A few weeks later, MTV approached him with the idea for America’s Best Dance Crew. He dove in headfirst, hoping to numb the pain of losing his record deal. The show was a new challenge and he liked that. He could pass on his show business knowledge to a younger audience. He got booed often, but he didn’t mind. He critiqued with the intention of making the dancers better. He never said anything with malicious intent.

However, as the years went by, the failed solo career still remained on his mind. Every so often, he’d get pangs missing singing and talking to an audience. He pushed it away while trying to convince himself he was happy in his new role. In many ways he was; he got to be around creative people and mentor young talent. Regardless, the damaged singer longed to be heard. And now that his voice could be permanently damaged, that voice was louder than ever.

Another buzz snapped him out of his thoughts. Are you effing serious? Who is it this time? Jenna’s name came on the screen. Oh. What does she want? He opened the text.
“I just got done with an interview and am in the area. Mind if I come by for a minute?”
Maybe she’ll understand. Or at least be more sympathetic and not immediately feed me positive bullshit. We’ve been over this already, Chasez. You don’t need this kind of thing in your life. But maybe I want it. He hadn’t seen her since the surgery almost two weeks ago. He wouldn’t mind seeing her pretty face. But what if I get sick when she’s here? That’s embarrassing.
“What the hell. What can it hurt?” He murmured. “Sure. Not too long, though. I’m not well today.”
I hope you know what you’re doing. The line is blurring already. You don’t want her to see you like this. Still, she’d be a welcome distraction.
“Understandable. I’m about 10 minutes from your place. Is that okay?”
Shit, I better get decent, then. He currently had only boxers on. “Yeah. See you in a bit.”
He grabbed track pants and a t shirt he’d thrown on the floor the night before and put them on. As long as he was covered, he didn’t care. I have cancer for crying out loud. I can get away with dressing sloppy every once and awhile. Oh wait, my head. I need something to cover it with. He found a navy beanie in his underwear drawer. I’m not ready for her to see that just yet.

10 minutes later, a knock came at the door. Wow, that was fast. I hope I look alright. He opened the door.
Jenna stood there in a pink wrap dress that hugged her curves and black flats. Woman, I have to stop seeing you in all these nice clothes. You look sexy. “Hey Jen. Welcome.”
“Hey. How are you?” They hugged.
“Not too good. Rough morning. And yourself?”
“Not too shabby.”
“Well, come on in.” He stepped aside to let her in.
“Wow, this looks like the houses I see in design magazines.” Jenna observed.
“Yeah, it’s pretty nice place to live.”
“All this to yourself? Must be nice. Probably 10 or 15 of my apartments could fit in here.”
“Want me to show you around?”
“If you’d like to.”
Suddenly, swords stabbed at his midsection. He doubled over and grabbed it in a futile attempt to quell the pain. Of all days to have an adverse reaction. Thanks a lot, body. Really appreciate it. . He groaned. “Hurt.”
“What hurts?” Jenna asked.
“Stomach.” He grunted.
“What can I do?”
“Help me to the bathroom. There’s one right over here,” He pointed to the doorway halfway down the hall.
“Okay.” She offered her hand and pulled him up. He steadied himself with his arm around her shoulders as they marched toward the restroom. “Do you need me to go in there with you?”
Oh hell no. Especially not this early. “I’ll be fine. Thank you. I’ll call for you when I’m done.”
“Alright.”  She opened the door. JC scrambled in and shut it behind him.

The next 10 minutes were the sickest he’d been in a long time. Both puke and diarrhea gushed out of their respective ends. It was relentless. If this is what I have to look forward to, the next few months will be Hell.
He opened the door. “Had a rough go of it there, huh?” Jenna asked.
He blushed. “Yeah. I’m afraid that’s the first of many episodes. I need to lie down.”
“Then let’s get you resting, shall we?”
“I’m game. My living room is right over here.”
“Okay, hold onto me tight.” She instructed gently.
I could do that all day, sweetie. He put his arms around her shoulders and hers wrapped around his waist. She provided a hearty but gentle support. He wouldn’t be the first to pull away when they reached the couch.
The duo reached his couch, which had a few blankets folded at the top. “Do you want one?” she asked.
“Yeah.” He sat down as she unfolded it. Then she placed it on top of him.
“Thank you. Sorry that had to be your first taste of what it’s like over here.”
Jenna chuckled. “It’s fine. You’re sick, so I’m not expecting rose petals and champagne.”
“Yeah. Still, I hoped my body would’ve cooperated.” He croaked.
“The universe doesn’t always give us we want, though. The sooner you accept that, the better off you’ll be.” She frowned.
How right you are. You don’t know how much. “Exactly. Doesn’t mean we don’t protest.”
She nodded. “I didn’t say we had to like it. However, how do you know the universe isn’t trying to teach you something or bring it to your attention?”
She’s hitting me with the philosophical stuff, isn’t she? Not now, Jenna. I just puked five minutes ago. “No idea what.”
“Okay, no thought provoking musings for now. I better get back to work anyway.”
So soon? Man. “When do you have to be back at work?”
“I told my boss 11 and its 10:30 now. Sorry this was so short notice. I’ll try to be more courteous next time.”
“Nah, you’re good. I’m glad you stopped by. You’re welcome back whenever.”
“Thank you. Do you need anything?”
He shook his head. “No. Mom should be here soon, so I’ll be fine until then.”
She nodded. “Ah. She might not take too kindly to some random girl being in your house.”
“You’re not some random girl, Jenna.”
“Maybe not. Still, I don’t want to raise suspicion. Good to see you.”
You’re so much more than that. “You, too. Be safe.”
“I will.” She clicked her shoes as she left the house. That dress makes your butt look good. No, you shouldn’t notice that. Hey, I’m a guy. I know an attractive body when I see one.

About a minute later, Karen walked in with groceries in her arms. “Hey honey. How are you feeling?”
“Not well. My system hates me today.”
“Aww, why is that?”
“I’ve puked a lot and runny bowels.”
“Poor baby. The side effects are starting, aren’t they?”
He nodded. “Yeah.”
“Josh, I saw a car pull out of your driveway as I arrived. Who was it?”
Damn, she did see Jenna’s car. “A friend of mine.” He replied shortly.
She raised an eyebrow. “Just a friend? Your face tells a different story.”
Am I that obvious? “Yeah, she’s one of my friends.”
“I hope you’re not bedding random girls over here.”
JC scoffed inwardly. What does that have to do with anything? I’m a thirty something year old man. I can do what I want. Besides, that was a completely innocent visit. “No. Why should you care?”
“You shouldn’t be fooling around with that kind of thing right now. Your health should be your main concern.”
JC rolled his eyes. I feel like a teenager who’s getting lectured. “Mom, it is. A female friend named Jenna came over and we spent 10 or 15 minutes talking. There’s nothing dirty about that.”
“Have you eaten anything today?”
Oh, hood. The subject’s changed. “No. Not sure I can keep anything down, though.”
“Why don’t you come in here and I’ll make you something?”
This is another reason Jenna and I need to be just friends. I’ll never hear the end of it from Mom if we’re dating while I’m in treatment. “Coming.”

Chapter 16 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is fiction; original characters are mine. 

Hey all! My muse has been really chatty recently and I got inspired. I'm really happy with this chapter. Everything came together well. There's more language than usual in this chapter because of content. Just a warning. I hope y'all enjoy it.

The month of April passed without notoriety. JC went to his weekly treatments and as he predicted, the symptoms worsened. Constant nausea, frequent vomiting and diarrhea, debilitating headaches and muscle pain plagued his days. Remind me again why I’m doing this. This is worse than the original sickness. Sometimes he didn’t even leave his bed and slept in 18 hour spurts.

Jenna was unable to come over again, as she had an increased workload that month. Regardless, she made sure to call several times a week to check on him. Those calls were one of the highlights of his life. He almost forgot about his sickness when he talked to her. However, he wanted to know more about her. They always talked about his problems. Surely she was a person underneath it all. Someone who had hopes, dreams, and regrets just as he did. He made a note to ask her some personal questions the next time she came over.

One afternoon in early May, he felt well enough to have company. Visitation from friends had been limited due to his weakened condition. He decided to invite Jenna over since he hadn’t seen her in a month. “Hey, could you come by for a minute this evening? I haven’t seen you in a while.”
The phone sent the text. What are you doing to me, girl? You’re the first one in a long time I’ve let get even remotely close.
He glanced around his bedroom. What a miracle, I’m out of bed today. He’d spent the last two bedfast due to the disease. He only had vague recollections of Karen checking on him from time to time. The woman barely took any time for herself. While he appreciated her efforts, he didn’t want her to lose herself in this process. Trauma fucks with self-esteem and self-worth, he’d learned over the last few years. And once you let it steal that away from you, it was war to get it back. And right now, he wasn’t sure he was up to the fight.
I love the roar of mental unrest in the morning, he smirked to himself as he headed downstairs.

His parents were sitting on the back porch. Karen had her iPad, possibly working on her writing. Roy read the newspaper. He chuckled internally. That was ironic, considering each personality.
“Well, look who’s joined the living,” Roy remarked with a wry smile. “How are you feeling, son?”
JC smiled back. “I’m alive. That’s the most I can say these days. I need to sit down; walking here from my room worn me out.”
“Of course, honey.” Karen stood up from her seat. “Can I get you anything?”
“Water and maybe a simple sandwich would be good.” He sat down.
“Coming right up.” Karen headed in the house.
“Have you heard from Eric lately?” Roy asked.
JC shook his head. “No. I’m not surprised. We’ve faked this ‘friendship’ for years. I should just tell him to leave. But I don’t because I’m too nice.”
“It sounds like neither of you benefit from talking to each other.”
“That’s the thing, Dad. We don’t. And yet we still go through the motions. I haven’t had many real people in my life for a long time. People who actually care about my wellbeing. This experience is teaching me who I can really count on. And that number is a depressing few.”
“As you get older, quality becomes more important anyway.” Roy replied.
JC’s phone buzzed. Eric’s name appeared on the screen. “Speak of the devil.” The text read: “Mind if I swing by for a second?”
“What does he want?”
“To come over. I don’t know if I’m ready.”
“Josh, that time may never come. And then you’ll be miserable with someone who adds nothing positive to your life. Sometimes you have to swallow fear and stand up for yourself.”
JC gulped. “You got a point. Here goes nothing.” He typed back: “Yeah sure. When?”
“You can do this, Josh. Your life will be so much better without him.”
“Thanks, Dad.”
Karen then came out with a glass of water and a Rueben sandwich. “Thank you, Mom. That looks great.”
“You’re welcome.” She kissed his forehead. “Are you going to invite company? You haven’t had much recently.”
“Well, Eric wants to come over. I told him he could. We need to talk, anyway. Also, I invited Jenna but she hasn’t responded yet. Oh… I hope they aren’t here at the same time.”
“Why is that a problem?” Roy asked.
“They don’t get along. When Jenna worked at Jive, she had to deal with him because no one else wanted to. Their personalities don’t mix.”
“Gee, I wonder why.” Roy replied sarcastically. “I hope not for your sake, then. Although it might make for an entertaining show.”
“Roy Chasez! That’s not funny!” Karen chided.
JC shook his head. “You’re a smartass sometimes, Dad.”
“Sorry, I shouldn’t make fun. I’d love to give the guy an earful, but it’s more entertaining watching someone else do it!”
“I wish I could be the spectator. But I have to do this.” His phone buzzed again. Both Jenna and Eric had replied at the same time. I think I’ll read Jenna’s first.
“Sure. I can’t guarantee a time since I have a deadline to meet, but I’ll try.”
Eric’s, on the other hand, invited himself over. “I’ll be there around 7.”
JC scoffed. “Geez, he doesn’t even have the decency to ask me if a time was okay.”
“And that surprises you because?” Roy asked.
“I shouldn’t be. Everything he does now pisses me off, it seems like. I just hope he and Jenna aren’t here at the same time.”
Roy raised his eyebrow. “That bad, huh?”
JC nodded. “He ranted about her several times.”

Jenna arrived around a quarter to seven that evening. JC answered the door. “Hey! Glad you made it!”
She gasped and placed her hands on her month.
“It’s okay, Jenna, It’s me. I’m still the same guy.”
She fanned her eyes. “You look a lot frailer than the last time I saw you. Sorry, that just took me aback for a second.”
He waved his hand. “It’s fine. You’re not the only one. Can I get a hug?”
“Of course.” She put her arms around him a little tighter this time. He caught a whiff of her honeysuckle perfume. Sweetness with an edge, just like her. It does feel good to have her in my arms. I wish I didn’t have to let go.
But they did a moment later. “Jen, I’ll go ahead and warn you. Eric is supposed to be here in a few minutes. We need to talk about some of our issues.”
Jenna scowled but nodded. “I’ll hold my tongue if he holds his.”
“Don’t worry; I’ll try to make it as painless as possible.” He glided fingers along the edge of her waves.
She smiled slightly. “I know you will.”

Eric followed about 10 minutes later. After exchanging fake pleasantries with each other and Roy and Karen, the duo headed to the living room. Jenna was on the couch, reading a novel she brought with her. Eric’s gaze landed on her immediately. “What’s she doing here?”
“She’s here because we’re friends and I want her here.”
“You need to watch who you’re friends with, JC.” Eric replied.
Out of the corner of his eye, JC could see Jenna smirk and attempting to stifle a laugh. I agree, Jen. That’s hilarious coming from him.
“What are you laughing at, bitch?” Eric spat.
“Nothing.” Jenna still couldn’t keep a straight face.
“You’re laughing at me, aren’t you? DON’T DENY IT!”
Jenna shrugged and shut her book. “Why do you bother pretending to care about him, Eric? You didn’t when I was at the record label.”
“Oh sure I did, sugar,” Eric sneered. “I worked every damn day to make sure those assholes gave my friend here a fair shake.”
If you call a fair shake cursing out executives and making my situation worse, go right ahead.
“Funny. I only seem to remember you trying to woo me on a date when I was in a steady relationship.” Jenna replied.
“Then why are you here? Gonna take advantage of his good heart and steal some of his money because that’s all you want anyway?”
Jenna put her hands on her hips and stepped forward. “I am here because he’s my friend and I care about how he’s doing. I could have married rich if I wanted to. But I didn’t. You know why? Love matters more.”
“You haven’t kept in contact with him! You’re no better than those other bastards at Jive.”
Jenna rolled her eyes. “Friends lose contact sometimes. For your information, I was the only one who tried to talk to him after that meeting.”
“Oh you fat ugly lying slut!”
I’ve heard enough. He has no business calling her names. “STOP!” JC croaked. “Stop. Eric, come outside with me. Excuse us for a moment, Jenna.”
“Gladly.” Jenna’s face had increased five shades of red from Eric’s jab.
JC led Eric to his back porch wordlessly.

“What the FUCK was that, man?” JC asked the second his back door shut. “You didn’t need to attack her like that.”
“What am I supposed to do? Take her shit lying down? If someone’s damaging my character, I’m going to defend myself.”
It wasn’t an attack on your character; it was an accurate assessment. “You didn’t do shit for me and you know it.”
Eric gasped. “Excuse me? I fought with them day in and day out to give you a chance. They didn’t listen so I used harsher words to make a point.”
“You can make your point without resorting to insults, Eric.”
Eric raised his eyebrow. “Oh? And we haven’t been exchanging insults at each other for God knows how long because we secretly hate each other?”
Damn, he’s got me there. “Okay, you’re right.”
“You have no idea how much shit I get for still managing your ass. I’ve been told many times that you’re talentless and not doing much. They say you’re holding me back from moving up in the industry?”
“And who are they?” JC crossed his arms.
“Fellow talent scouts at different labels.”
JC snorted. “But they don’t know me. They haven’t seen me work for hours on end to produce something I’m proud of. They haven’t seen me fight with elitist executives to give me one chance. Be honest, have you done anything to counteract their claims?”
“No. I don’t say anything. Which, I suppose, should speak for itself.”
“Then why are we faking this friendship, huh? Why are we still doing this?”
Eric scowled. “I don’t know, man. Why did you side with Miss Wide Waist over there? We’ve known each other for over 10 years! You should side with me over your flavor of the month.”
She’s not, she’s my friend. And how dare you insult her like that! That’s irrelevant in this conversation. “I didn’t take either side. I simply asked both of you to stop so we could talk about this privately.”
“She called me a fake! I’m a genuine person, JC. I always mean what I say and say what I mean. It was an insult!”
That’s news to me. “Then why did you admit you’ve been lying this whole time?”
Ire grew in Eric’s eyes. “What do you mean?”
“I’m not stupid. I can read between the lines. If you really cared about me, you’d have tried to correct those people laughing at me. But you didn’t, which could mean that you agree.” He shook his head. “You disgust me. I don’t want to look at you anymore.”
“You party all hours of the night while getting drunk, having sex with every woman on the block and not doing anything meaningful with your life.”
JC glared at him. He had increased his party a little over the past few years to numb the pain. Still, he could count on one hand the one night stands he’d had in his life. “What does that have to do with anything?”
“The same reason Jenna’s here. You’ll fuck her until the next hot thing comes along like the man whore you are.”
JC growled. “Fuck you, Eric. Get the fuck out of my house and out of my life.”
“Gladly, you piece of shit. You’ll never amount to anything without me. I’ll burn all your records in my office.”
“I don’t care. Just get the fuck off my back porch and never come around again.”
“Again, gladly.” Eric flipped him off and turned his back.
JC answered with another as he left. “Coward.” He muttered.” I don’t need your shit in my life right now anyway.” He sighed and put his hands on his neck. I’m so glad he’s gone. That fucking douche. What does my sex life have to do with him fucking up my career? I should have shouted at his ass. I’m probably not capable right now, though.

JC paced around and inhaled deep breaths for several minutes. He needed to calm down before he felt fit for normal conversation. He glanced at the kitchen window. Karen, Roy and Jenna were talking. Good. Maybe Mom can get used to the idea of Jenna being around if they talk one on one. Because I don’t want her to leave, especially after today. He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. A disc in the middle had started throbbing. Maybe I could ask Jenna to give me a massage. No, that’s a couple thing. We’re not a couple. He closed his eyes, imagining her soft hands caressing his aching muscles. You’re venturing into dangerous territory here, Joshua. But maybe I want to. Maybe I need someone like her for times like this. He sighed again. Might as well go in. They’re probably wondering what happened.

The trio residing in the kitchen all turned their gazes toward JC as he entered.
“We’re finished.” He replied to answer their unspoken question. “I want absolutely nothing to do with him.”
“What did he say?”
“I rather not relive it. We exchanged words and I told him to leave. Which he did.”
“How do you feel?”
“Worn more than anything. That argument took so much out of me. I think I need to lie down.”
“That’s fine, honey. Do just that.” Karen kissed his forehead. “Can we get you anything?”
“Some ice water and a patch for my neck would be awesome.”
“Go lie down, son. We’ll take care of it.” Roy said.
JC nodded and headed towards the living room couch.

Karen and Jenna came in a few minutes later with his requests. Karen placed his glass on a coaster on the table in front of the couch. “Mom, could you get that blanket?”
“Sure, Josh.” She reached for it and began unfolding it.
JC propped himself up as Jenna sat down next to him. “I’m sorry if Eric and I stressed you out.”
“Don’t worry about it. How he treated you just put me in the right mindset.”
“Still, you shouldn’t have to deal with extraneous stress like that right now.”
He took a gulp of water. “I won’t have to after today. Especially if I have you here.”
She smiled. “Where does your neck hurt?”
“In the middle.” He whispered, rubbing where it hurt to demonstrate as Karen covered him with the blanket.
Jenna placed the patch on the spot. Tension left his body immediately as she smoothed it over. The pain also slowed. He sighed contentedly. I could use more of that touch. “Thank you, Jen.”
She smiled. “You’re welcome. You get some rest, okay? I’m going home.”
He nodded and fell asleep.



Chapter 17 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Original characters are mine; story is fiction.

The chapters might be longer from now on. With all the content I have planned, I wouldn't be surprised. Things are shifting for JC. I hope y'all enjoy and thanks for your support as always.

*Includes paraphrase from Beneath Your Beautiful by Labrinth and Emeli Sande.*

“So am I taking you to treatment tomorrow?” Karen asked on the phone a few days later.

Karen and/or Roy had taken him to treatment for the past month. While he appreciated that, he wanted Jenna to take him. Are you crazy? That’s overstepping the boundaries you have established right now.  Not to mention Mom will go crazy. She’s treating you like you’re a teenager sneaking out of the house. I’m a grown man; I can make my own decisions. “I was thinking about asking Jenna to take me.”

“Why do you want to ask her? You barely know her!”

You got me there, Mom. “Maybe I want to spend time with her so we can get to know each other better.”

“You can do that by inviting her over to your house like you have been.”

He sputtered. “Why do you care so much, Mom? I’m not so sick that I don’t enjoy the company of a female friend. I’m 36 years old; it’s my decision who comes into my life.”

You shouldn’t have said that, JC. Karen snorted. “Well excuse me for caring, Josh. Excuse me for uprooting my life to a place I don’t particularly like because I love you and want to make sure you’re okay during this fight. I’m looking out for you, sweetie. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

Crap, now she thinks I don’t appreciate her. Which isn’t the case. “That’s not what I meant.”

“Then what did you mean? You’re going to let some strange woman who you just met dictate how you go about treatment?”

Whoa, whoa whoa. Hold on a minute. Since when did I say that? “I never said that. All I said was I’d like her to take me this week so we can spend some time together.”

Click. Damn, Mom. I love you but you’re really pissing me off right now. Why does everyone treat me like my life isn’t mine? I’m so sick of it. Cancerous cells are already overtaking my body and stealing my independence. Let’s have every decision be made for me while we’re at it! If I had any hair, it’d be gone in two seconds.

DAMMIT!” His voice reverberated off the walls and his throat tightened. I shouldn’t have done that. But it’s one of the only ways I can get my emotion out these days. Tears peered in the back in his eyes. Not now. Crying won’t help. It’ll make my mood worse. He cleared his throat and the wetness retreated for the moment. I better call Jen. That’ll look stupid if she can’t do this anyway.

 

“Hello?” She answered.

“Hey Jenna. What are you doing tomorrow?”

“I have the day off and no plans in place. Do you need something?” She was surprised at the immediacy of his question.

“I need a ride to chemo and back. Would you like to take me?”

“Oh. Wow. You want me to take you?”

“Well, yeah. You said you’d help me in any way you could.”

“Touché. What time is the treatment?”

“It starts at 8 a.m. I usually leave my house around 7:15 or so to account for morning traffic.”

Jenna groaned. “Oh lord. Be glad, I like you, Chasez. Otherwise I wouldn’t agree to do this.”

He shrugged. “Hey, you can always take a nap on my couch.”

“Hey. We’re not going there yet, buddy. Thanks for the offer, though.”

“So, I’ll see you around 7:15?”

She playfully sighed. “I suppose. I’ll see you then.”

                                                       

A churning stomach awoke him at five the next morning. It was like he’d been stabbed with a sword.  I have to get to the bathroom before I make a mess. He barely made it to the toilet before vomit expelled. How do I produce this much waste? I don’t eat that much. He spent the next hour puking and coughing.

 

He flopped back on his bed with the acidic taste of bile in his mouth. This had happened several times recently. Now he had to drag himself out of the house to treatment so he could guarantee more mornings like this! Great, I’m fucking looking forward to it. He groaned. I’m sick of not seeing progress. Maybe I shouldn’t have gotten this treated in the first place. But now at least you have a chance of saving your voice. What if the cancer had grown so you couldn’t? The thought was little comfort at the moment.

I might as well get dressed so Jenna doesn’t have to drag me out of bed. Every muscle protested as he rose to retrieve some clothes. As long as you’re covered you’re golden.

 

Jenna arrived at 7:10 with a coffee mug in hand. “Thank you for coming over so early.”

She nodded. “It’s not a problem. As long as I got my coffee in my system, I’ll be good to go.”

“You sure you don’t have better things to do with your day off besides take me to chemo?” Well, you did ask her to do this.  And she said yes.

Jenna chuckled as her cheeks flushed. “I want to. If anything, it’s an excuse to see you.”

He shrugged. “Fair enough. I like seeing you, too.”

“Shall we go, then?” Jenna replied a little too quickly. She probably wanted to avoid awkward silence that might have followed.

He felt his pockets for his keys and wallet. He’d been known to leave his wallet at home when he needed it. “Sure.”

“Want an arm?” She asked.

If it means I get to be near you again. “Yeah.” They linked arms and walked out to the driveway.

Jenna’s clunky silver Buick Skyhawk awaited them. He raised his eyebrow. “This is your car?”

She blushed again. “Yeah. It’s my backup car. My newer one blew out its transmission a few months ago. I don’t have the money to get another one right now. It’s not a Mercedes, but it gets me from point A to point B.” She inserted her key into the side lock.

“That is old school. Having to unlock the doors by hand.”

“This car is a 1989 model. It’s been in my family since I was in elementary school. So yes, it predates the newfangled electric locks.” She unlocked the door. “After you, dear.”

If we ever date, I’m getting her a new car. She deserves something nice. “Thank you, Jenna.”

He sat down in the worn out seat.

She shut the door behind him and got in a moment later. “Which hospital am I going to?”

“USC Norris. You know where that is?”

“Approximately. We have Google Maps if we get lost.”

He chuckled. “You seem so confident about that.”

She turned on the ignition. “Hey, that’s a smartphone is for, right? To compensate for lack of human intelligence?”

“If you say so.”

“Navigate me, Chasez.” She turned around to back the car out of the driveway.

That could be interpreted in a sexual manner. He smiled to himself.

 

The next 20 minutes passed with light conversation as Jenna drove to the hospital. Her Chevy Cavalier almost died in the middle of Interstate 5, one of the city’s busiest highways. Luckily she was able to get off the road before the car completely stopped. She called a tow truck and brought it to her usual mechanic. He told her it would cost more than the car was worth; she was better off buying a new one. Her dad, Cameron’s, friend had this car and gave it to her for free.

“Does it embarrass you that you drive an old car?” JC asked.

“Not really. Not all of us are made of money, JC. I’m a journalist and don’t make all that much. But at least I’m in the profession I love.”

“You must worry about it copping out on you like the other one did.”

She nodded. “I’ve had a few close calls, not going to lie. I wonder every time I drive if it’ll do the job. But it does and I’ll make do with this one for now.”

I’m definitely buying her a car. She doesn’t need that worry over her head. “You shouldn’t have to worry about that, honey.”

“I’m glad you think so. You’re so considerate of my feelings.”

“That’s because your feelings are important, too. It’s okay to feel what you do. Anyone who truly cares about you won’t judge you for them.”

Jenna bit her lip as she pulled into the parking lot. He could see wetness in the back of her gaze.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you.”
She shook her head. “No, you didn’t. I just really needed to hear that. Someone in my life constantly tells me that I need to just shut up and take their bullshit.”

I wonder who she’s talking about. I hope it’s not a douchebag boyfriend. “Well, they need to shove it or I will come after them.”

She chuckled. “I don’t know if that’s such a good idea.” She parked the car. “We’re here. Let’s get you medicated for the week.”

She does this all the time. Veers the subject away from herself and back to me. Does she have something to hide or just being cautious?

They got out of the car. “Jenna, I’m really sorry.”

“No, don’t apologize,” she insisted. “I needed that reassurance. It just really struck a chord hearing it from you.”

In a good or bad way? She’s probably heard that countless times. What was it about the way I said it that was different? “Ah, I see.”

She linked her arm with his. “Come on. Let’s get inside before we’re caught.”

Jenna, you’re not exactly helping with your arm position. Not that I’m complaining. Just a thought. They walked into the hospital.

 

They settled into the private room a few minutes later. Wendy hooked JC up to the machines. He shuddered at the sight of the needles. Jenna held his hand and he didn’t flinch when they pinched his skin. It has to be because she’s here. I can’t think of any other explanation. Damn you, Jenna. You’re breaking my defenses. And I’m not sure I want you to. He sighed.

“You okay, JC?” She asked.

He nodded. “Yeah. I don’t like needles.”

“That’s the first time he hasn’t flinched when I’ve put the IV tube in.” Wendy chimed in. “You must have a special effect on him, Jenna.”

Way to put us on the spot, Wendy. JC looked at Jenna, whose cheeks were flushed. She let go and sat back in her chair. You didn’t have to do that. We’re holding hands as friends.

“We’re friends.” He replied coolly.

“You say that now. But I wouldn’t be surprised if you two come and tell me you’re dating one day.”

 

Jenna tried to make conversation for the first few minutes of treatment but backed off after a few trite responses. I shouldn’t have been so mean to Mom. She has the best intentions for me. Sometimes she doesn’t REALLY listen to me. She hears what she wants to and blocks out the rest. Which then prompts her to make up her own stories in her head of what’s happening when that may not be the case. He tired of the overbearing behavior. He wasn’t so sick that he couldn’t think for himself. That might happen in more extreme situations. Still, he didn’t like hurting her feelings as she was his mother and loved him more than anyone in the world. I’ll ask her to come over and we can talk about it.

 

He looked over at the IV tube. Is even worth it? I haven’t felt better. If anything, this is worse than the original problem. This week will probably be just like the others: puking my guts out on both ends, struggling to talk, and being bedbound. He barely remembered the last month because he was in a fog from the medicine. I hope this isn’t what the rest of my life will consist of. It’s such a battle to live every day. It’s so hard sometimes. Maybe I should give up. No, don’t. You have several supporters in your corner, including one who went out of her way for you today.

He glanced at Jenna, who was reading a book. She has done a lot for me, without expectation of anything in return. I wish there was some way I could help her.

After an hour, the treatment finished. JC felt woozy, so Wendy brought him a wheelchair. She pushed him out to the curb, where Jenna had pulled up her car. Both women helped him into the passenger side. Get me away from this place. I don’t want to see it more than I have to. I’m going to go mental, aren’t I?

 

After a few minutes, he couldn’t stand it anymore. Something has to give here. I’ve been holding everything back. He sighed as the tears from last night returned. He wiped his eye with two fingers on the window side so Jenna couldn’t see what he was doing. It’s not like she won’t notice eventually anyway. How I wish her body was against mine. Not even in a sexual way. Just to have warm closeness with a woman again. It’s probably not a good idea, but I don’t give a damn at this point. I just want her close. The wetness streamed down his cheeks.

“Are you okay?” Jenna asked sweetly.

Of course. I just finished another chemotherapy treatment. I’m bloody spectacular. “Not really. Just a lot going on.”

“I understand. I don’t know how you deal with it so well.”

He snorted. If you only knew, Jen. I’m not in the mood for positive bullshit.

 

They arrived home a few minutes later. “Jen, can you come in for a minute?” He whispered.
“Of course.” She got out of the car.

His throat constricted as he followed her.  I need her.

Once in the house, she turned to him. “Need a hug, sweetie?”

She knows what I need. He nodded and melted in her arms. Again, her hold provided a strong yet soft place to land. I’m safe with her. She won’t hurt me.

Jenna rubbed his back as he cried into her shoulder. She didn’t see the need for words and he appreciated that. He just wanted someone to be there while he let out his emotions. 

After a few minutes, they broke away. “Will you be okay?” She whispered.

“Yeah. I just need some time alone. Thank you for the hug. I needed it.”

She squeezed his hands. “You’re welcome.”

He hugged her again. Jenna was taken aback, but returned the motion. They stood there in the silence for a moment; each other’s presence was the only thing that mattered then. I want to kiss you so bad. To thank you for being here. But I shouldn’t. I can’t be in a relationship right now.

They broke away again and he walked her to the door. “Thank you again, Jenna. I really appreciate it.”

She nodded. “You’re welcome. I’ll see you later, okay?”

He smiled. “Later. Be safe driving home.”

 

After she left, he asked Matt to take him over to his house. He didn’t want to be alone and needed someone different to help him sort his feelings out about that woman. Luckily, his friend was available and obliged as soon as possible.


“So, what do you need to talk about?” Matt asked as they sat in his kitchen.

“I’m super confused about this girl, Jenna.”

“How did you meet her?”

“She was at Jive when I worked on ‘Kate’. We were friends, as far as coworkers go. I enjoyed hanging out with her and she was the only person who really understood the vision I wanted to accomplish with the record. She went to bat for me a few times.”

“She was outnumbered, unfortunately.”

“Yeah. I never forgot about she supported me when no one else did. We lost touch after I was dropped. Then we ran into each other at that charity event you picked me up from. So, we’ve been hanging out since then.”

“That sounds pretty good. Why are you confused?”

“Hold on, man. I’ll tell you. I’ve been really depressed about lack of progress in treatment, as you know. Jenna took me to my last one. While I was there, I thought too much and got emotional. After she took me home, I started crying. She wrapped her arms around me. I’m not sure I want her to get so close.”

“How did it feel when she held you?”

JC sighed. “I appreciated her warmth. She was just there for me; she didn’t try to negate my sadness. That’s what I needed then.”

“If you truly didn’t want that, you wouldn’t have let her. You could’ve said, ‘I’m fine. Please leave.’ But you didn’t. You let her comfort you because you trust her on some level.”

He’s right. “I do. And that scares me.”

“Why?”

“I have a full plate. All my time and energy is devoted to recovering right now. New relationships take those things to flourish and I’m not sure I have that to spare.  I don’t know what will happen to me. In unlikely event I die, she’ll get hurt.”

Matt frowned. “But what if the reason she’s here is to make this ordeal easier? What if she’s here to hold you up when you can’t stand on your own?”

“Something shifted yesterday. I felt safe and protected. I knew she would catch my tears. When I’m with her, everything’s okay. I forget I’m sick.”

“Then maybe it’s okay to let her in.”

JC groaned. “What do you mean ‘maybe’? I barely know her. We always talk about my problems. I don’t know that much about her life. How do I know she won’t screw me over like every other woman I’ve dated?”

Matt shrugged. “Maybe she won’t. You don’t know unless you explore that option. You know that you like being around her and would like to get to know her better."

Are you sure you're not a fucking psychic? “I didn’t see this coming. She’s finding a way under my skin.”

“I think you want to let your guard down, but you’re afraid to. You’ve built your walls so high that you haven’t let anyone climb them for some time.”

How does he know that? JC rolled his eyes.

“You’re rolling your eyes because you know I’m right. You like how she makes you feel but you’re terrified she’ll be another Eva or Bobbie. I think if she didn’t have good intentions, I think she would have left when you were diagnosed. There’s nothing superficial for her to gain here. You’re not desirable to the fake girls because you’re going through a traumatic time. No one that narcissistic would want to deal with this.”

Damn, you nailed it Matt. Yet what if she sees how weak I am and takes advantage of me? “I’m so cynical. Everything you’ve said, I’ve wanted to counteract with a negative thought.”

“You have, Dumbo. What happened to that optimistic guy I used to know?”

“He got the shit beat out of him emotionally and doesn’t want to believe anything good exists anymore.”

“Correction: He wants to, but doesn’t think it exists for him.” Matt replied.

JC sighed heavily. “This is why you’re my friend. You can read me so well.”

Matt grinned. “Right now, you hate for it but yes I can. It’s your decision going forward. Go with what your gut tells you. That’s usually right.”

“That’s true. It’s served me well over the years.”

Chapter 18 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Thank you so much for your support! For those of you who may not know, I started a full time job at the end of November. The past few months have been nuts with getting hired, moving and getting settled. So, updates may be a little more infrequent. But I won't give up on this story. I love writing it so much and I hope you all enjoy reading it as much. All my love to you all.

"Dammit,” JC growled as another discordant note rang out on the keyboard. This is useless. Why do I even try? Because you love music and it would destroy you if that was taken away. He tried to sing, but only a throaty shell of his former voice appeared. I wish hadn’t taken this for granted. I was consumed by fear and didn’t take the time to sing for myself. He closed his eyes, remembering his voice’s former glory. It was clear, resonant and versatile. He got a thrill out of belting high notes night after night while the fans expressed their appreciation. What does it matter? I’m never getting it back. I should just forget about it. But he couldn’t because music was ingrained in his soul; a soul that craved to be to be heard. 

 

I need to get these emotions out. They aren’t any help up here. He hadn’t kept a journal for years; music usually took its place. However, that route wasn’t fruitful so he decided to write them down. He found a ragged black notebook sitting on his computer desk. He kept random thoughts he came up with during songwriting in there. I haven’t touched this is in so long. He leafed through to an empty page and started to write:

 

I miss my voice.  I never thought I’d have to say that. I’d give anything to hear it in real life again. Sure, it’s recorded in audio and video but it’s not the same. Something about hearing your gift coming out and giving others joy. I tell myself to move on but I can’t. My voice was an integral part of my love for music and having an outlet to express myself. But it’s been stolen from me and it’s gone forever

 

My life isn’t mine anymore, anyway. Cancer dictates the course of my day. If I’m throwing up for hours, I’m guaranteed to be bedbound for the remainder because I have zero energy. Then I’m not hungry which zaps my energy and leaves me motionless. If I don’t have that, I can’t talk to anyone and am left with miserable thoughts day after day. I’d give anything to not be me right now. I’m so damn tired. If Hell exists, I think I have found it.

 

I don’t see an end in sight. The diagnosis was three months ago. It seems like it should be longer for as much as I’m fighting this disease. On the other hand, it’s a lifetime ago because I didn’t have to worry about medicine and the bills that come along with it. I didn’t have to watch those I love suffer because I’m sick. That’s hard enough to deal with as it is. I suppose it’s better that I don’t keep track of time.

 

His phone buzzed. Texts from Jenna and Justin had come in at the same time. Justin asked how to Jenna’s. She wanted to know if she could come over after work tonight. I don’t see why not. Hopefully I’ll feel better by then. After he replied to her, Karen called. Geez, everyone wants to talk to me now, huh? She wanted to come over so they could talk about their disagreement the day before. He hoped they would come out the other side with a better understanding of one another’s positions.

 

I give up. I’m just going to sleep my life away until Mom gets here. Hell, I wouldn’t mind going to sleep and never waking up right now. I’m as good as dead without my voice, anyway. He dragged his limp body out of the chair to the rec room next door. He flopped on the couch and fell asleep.

 

“Joshua…”

JC stirred. “Who is it?”

“It’s me, Mom.”

He narrowly opened his eyes to Karen’s concerned face. “Hey.”

“Hey. How are you?” She stroked his head, which was covered by a black beanie hat.

“Like death.”

“Rough day?”

JC rolled his eyes internally. If you only knew, Mom. “More like a hellish life.”

“I’m sorry about yesterday. honey. This situation is taking a toll on me, as it is everyone.”

“I’m sorry, too. For everything.”

“It’s not your fault.” Karen paused. “You know what’s so unfair about this, Josh?”

“What?”

“Some unknown antigen invaded your body without your consent. You didn’t get a say in this. One day you’re not sick and the next you are.”

You’ve got that right. JC nodded. “I can’t do anything about that, sadly.”

“Not the fact that you got cancer. But now you have a choice to fight back and it’s a choice you have to make every day.”

“I want to give up.” JC coughed. “I haven’t seen any progress.”

“And let it steal away the one thing that means the most to you?”

“That left when I was dropped from Jive.”

“I don’t think so. You may be having a bad day but that doesn’t negate all the effort you’ve made. You have a lot to live for.”

He snorted. “Like what?”

“Your lady friend, Jenna for example.”

What? Yesterday you thought she was some witch manipulating my mind. “I thought you didn’t like her.”

“She’s growing on me. I just don’t want you to get hurt with all you have going on. She has a positive effect on you, whether you know it or not.”

Yeah, she does. What’s with the quick change of heart? “I’m surprised you’d suggest her as a reason, Mom.”

“Yesterday I was emotional about the whole situation and that was the spark that lit the flame. I’m sorry I stress you out so much, sweetheart. I only want the best outcome for you.”

“And a great way to do that is give me room to breathe,” he replied dryly.

Karen stroked his head again. “I’ll try. Do you need anything right now?”

He shook his head. “I feel like shit. I just want to sleep in peace.”

“Then rest you shall, Josh.” She kissed his forehead.

He half smiled. “Thank you, Mom.”

“Anytime, honey. This shall pass, I promise.”

The sweetness in Karen’s gaze caused a pang in his heart. She loves me. And I her, even though she drives me crazy sometimes. I can’t imagine what that would do to her if I died. I can’t do that to Mom. Maybe I should keep going. Karen picked up her purse. “Do you want the lights turned off, Josh?”

He nodded. “Yeah. I’ll see you later, Mom.”

 

He was awakened a few hours later by an obnoxiously loud buzzing. Can’t I be left in peace? He groaned and reached for his phone.

“I’m outside your door and it’s locked” Jenna’s text read.

Crap, I forgot you were coming. He had an app that could unlock the door with a security code. He typed the code in and replied.  “Come on in. I just unlocked it. I’d come greet you but I’m really sick today.” Shit. I’m not in the normal place she visits me in.

“JC, where are you?” He could hear her call.

“I’m in my rec room, which is downstairs.” He typed. “The door’s in the font hallway.”

Jenna arrived a few minutes later. “Oh, there you are. Not in the usual spot.”

“I was attempting to write in the studio but didn’t have the energy to make it back upstairs. Sorry I couldn’t answer the door.” He had sat up in a sitting position by this point.

“That’s okay.” She sat down on the couch by his feet. “So, how’s my favorite guy?”

Favorite guy, huh? He wavered his hand. “Eh. Making it.

“What’s wrong?”

Oh, the usual. Wishing I was dead because my voice is gone. No big deal. “I’m really foggy. So, if I don’t make sense, I apologize.”

“I’ve read that a side effect of chemo is short term memory loss.”

Wow, you’re really doing some research, Jen. “Just giving you a heads up. So, how are you?”

She groaned. “Frustrated. Boss is giving me hell in a hand basket. I want to tell him to screw off but his answer would be ‘When and where?’”

Not if I have anything to say about it. “What about?”

“My performance of late.” She buttoned the bottom of her shirt.

She’s not telling me the whole thing, is she? “Anything I can help you with?”

She shook her head. “No, thank you. I’m hoping it’ll go away on its own.”

"You don't... treat me like everyone else does." Where did that come from?

Jenna furrowed her brows and frowned. "What do you mean?"

"They can't... look at me without being sad. And then I'm sad because they are."

"They have deep emotional investment in you. Your mom, for example, has raised you since you were five. That's almost all your life and she loves you as if she birthed you. Then take a close friend like Lance. You all spent nine or more years together every day, working your butts off at something you loved to do. That bonds people together. So, their emotions cloud their judgment sometimes."

"Wow. Haven't thought about it like that."

"I, on the other hand, have a limited context of knowing you. While we're expanding that by hanging out together, it's not as intense as someone who's known you longer."

He frowned. "You don't care as much."

She shook her head. "No. It's just a different set of feelings. If we were in a relationship, I'd feel the same way they do.”

I'm starting to wish we were. "You're so wise."

She shrugged. "Nah, just an objective force that makes you think in ways you hadn't before."

Dammit, Jenna.  You nailed it again. "You like being here, don't you?"

She smiled. "Yes, I enjoy helping you and taking care of you. Why do you ask?"

"There's nothing in this for you."

"The friendship we've rekindled is enough for me."

Friendship. She probably doesn't feel like I do. "Oh."

"I won’t take advantage of you, JC. I can't imagine how many people have done so because of your celebrity. It's not about that here. I’m your friend and care about your wellbeing.”

I figured as much. Why was I expecting anything different? She hasn’t indicated any romantic inclinations. I’m probably reading into something that isn’t there.

“You seem disappointed by that answer.”

“Well, that’s because I like you more than that.”

Her eyes widened. “Oh, really?”

He nodded. “Yeah. Everything is okay when you’re here. Sometimes I even forget I’m sick. You don’t define me by the illness. And I appreciate that so much.”

She half smiled as her cheeks flushed. “You like having me around, eh?”

You seem to enjoy it too, from that adorable expression. “Yeah. A lot.” JC studied Jenna’s features. Her jaw was a mix of rounded and square. Her face was perfectly proportioned; no facet overpowered the others. Brown waves effortlessly tumbled down her shoulders. Today she had on a lilac short sleeved button down and capris. Her bottom lip curled, as if in thought. “You’re staring at me.”

“Hey, I appreciate beauty when I see it. And it’s right front of me, both inside and out.”

Her lips stiffened. “Thank you. It’s been some time since I’ve been called beautiful.”

If you were mine, I’d call you that all the time. “You’re welcome. I wouldn’t lie to you.”

She tensed up even more. "Can I get you anything before I go?"

What does she seem so eager to hide? He shook his head. "Thank you, Jenna." He kissed her cheek lightly.

Jenna blushed again. “You’re too sweet. Get some sleep, Chasez.” She squeezed his hands before leaving.

You should have just kissed her full on. Your feelings intensify every time you’re together. Even just now…  He drifted off with that thought.

 

He awoke a few hours later with a chill up his spine. Why do I feel like something is different?  He’d had hangovers where he didn’t remember what happened the night before, only that it wasn’t good. Now, the dynamics of his life had shifted. He couldn’t place a finger on how. What did I do? I must have done SOMETHING. His stomach churned with unease. Who was just here? … Jenna! Dear God, don’t let me say anything stupid! He leaped from the couch and barely made it to the toilet before expelling bodily waste.

 

30 minutes later, he flopped on his couch. Usually an episode like that knocked him out in minutes, even seconds. Not tonight. What happened? I can’t remember and it’s aggravating me that I don’t. He groaned. What was the worst that could happen? Spill out his guts for her and she rejects him? No, we couldn’t have kissed. I’d never forget the glorious feeling it must be to kiss her. Back off, Chasez. She’s not yours and possibly could be someone else’s woman.

 

I wonder if that’s what she’s hiding from me. She was awfully jumpy tonight. He’d never fully entertained the idea that she had a boyfriend. If she was dating anyone seriously, she would have mentioned it by now, wouldn’t she? A dull ache emerged in his heart. He hated the thought of Jenna in another man’s arms. It would break his heart. She looked troubled the other day before his treatment. He wished he could vanquish all her worries and doubts. Why won’t she let me comfort her like she’s done for me? It’s only fair.  Her heart was pure and that was what mattered, not that she was ‘bigger’ than societal standards. No woman in Hollywood would do what she’s done for me.

Chapter 19 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is fiction; original characters are mine.

I apologize in advance if this chapter makes anyone cry. There was a moment while I wrote this that I thought, "Wow. This is powerful." Thank you all for reading this story; it means the world.

Dr. Franklin’s office called the next morning. Colleen informed JC the doctor wanted to schedule a follow up appointment with him to discuss his progress. There’s nothing to talk about, he grumbled inwardly. I’m sick and will be for the foreseeable future. Nonetheless, he agreed and they scheduled an appointment for the next day. I don’t see anything good coming out of this. I’ve had enough of the medical system as it is. But this is part of the process.

 

Get up. You need to get in the shower. The thought was right. He hadn’t bathed in days and the last time was in his bath tub because he didn’t have the strength to stand. Showers used to be one of his favorite activities. That was his time to either wake up and prepare for his day or decompress from a long day. The warm water acted as an elixir to his soul. Now, even with a shower seat, he couldn’t muster longer than 10 minutes. That’s gone now, you shouldn’t be thinking about that. But he couldn’t help it. Ever since he’d gotten sick, he longed to be capable of doing things for himself and not have to ask everyone else.

 

Roy came over to his bedside. “Morning, son.”

“Morning,” JC mumbled. “Can you help me up?”

Roy nodded, removing the covers from his body. “Give me your hands.”

His son raised up his arms as his father held his hands to pull him up. He shouldn’t have to do this. I should be able to do this myself. JC groaned.

“Are you okay?”

He nodded. “Just wishing things were different, that’s all.”

“We all do, Josh. But that doesn’t do us any good. Focus on your will to fight. You just sat up, which you aren’t able to do some days. That’s a victory in itself.”

He sighed. “I suppose so. Just help me get to the bathroom.”

“Do you want to take a shower?”

JC stood up. “Yeah. But I want to try to do it myself.”

“Okay. I’ll be outside the door if you need anything.”

 

After a seated 10 minute shower, he was clean. He dried off and got dressed in track pants and a white v-neck t-shirt. As he patted his face with a towel, he caught a glimpse of his reflection.

His face looked gaunt: narrow features, lifeless eyes, navy under eye circles and luggage size bags. Damn, do I look sickly or what?  He stripped off his white t-shirt and studied his reflection further. His collar bone was more prominent than before. What little definition existed in his stomach had disappeared and was replaced by a pooch. His arms had lost almost all definition as well. His low slung track pants exposed his protruding hip bones. He’d always been thin but he’d lost at least 15 lbs since the ordeal started. How can anyone bear to look at this shadow of the man I once was? And then he understood. This was why his loved ones couldn’t stand it. They knew what he looked like healthy and now seeing what he’d been reduced to? His heart squirmed in his chest. They shouldn’t have to see this. Damn you, cancer. Do you not realize how much damage you’ve done to me and my family? Of course not. You’ll gladly take any life you please.

 

Tears brimmed in the back of his eye as his throat tightened up. He hadn’t taken time to study what he looked like and now he wished he hadn’t. This is what I’ve been reduced to, huh? Depression took away my mind and now cancer is stealing my body. Is it even worth it all for one little section on my vocal cords? A tear slipped down his cheek. Right now it doesn’t seem like it. There’s no end in sight. I’m doomed to live a life full of cancer treatments and looking like death on legs. Funny how you don’t appreciate something until it’s gone.

 

A knock came at his door, which jarred his thoughts. “Josh, are you okay?” Roy asked.

“No.” He said. “You can come in.”

His father opened the door. “Need a hug?”

JC nodded. “Please.”

The men embraced. Roy patted and rubbed his son’s back while JC silently wept.

They broke away after a few moments. “I wish I hadn’t… taken my… health for granted.” He sniffled.

“I know, son. A lot of people do. They think they are invincible and don’t fathom that it could happen to them. Unfortunately, cancer doesn’t give a damn that you’ve been healthy for most of your life.”

JC sighed, wiping his eyes. “Sorry about that.”

“You don’t need to apologize for your tears, Josh. We’re here for you, okay?”

“Okay. I just hate… that I’m so weak.”

“Again, that’s fine. It’s from moments like this that we know true strength.”

JC slipped on his shirt again. “I need to lie down.”

“Sure. You want your hat?” Roy offered the black beanie to him.

“Yeah. Might as well.” He put it on. “Thanks, Dad. I needed that.”

“You’re welcome. Get some rest.”

 

A severe urge to vomit awoke him several hours later. He lurched over his bedside to expel the liquid to the trash can set beside it. This went on for several minutes as Karen and Roy rushed to his aid. Even after vomiting, he couldn’t stop coughing. Karen gently urged him to breathe as he struggled to stop the onslaught.

“Shit,” He finally said with water in his eyes. “How do I keep doing that when there’s nothing to draw from?”

“It’s the medication,” Roy said with a frown. “Do you want some water?”

“We can try it but...”

“Here,” Karen handed him a small juice glass full. JC sipped on the liquid, washing out the acidic bile that remained. The feeling was almost pleasant. But sure enough, it came back up a minute later.

Roy sighed and shook his head. “Dad got like this, too.”

“Oh Roy, don’t say that.”

“I didn’t mean anything by it, honey. I’m just stating a fact.”

“I just hate to see my son like this. I don’t want to have to bury him.”

JC laced Karen’s hand with his. “It’s alright, Mom. I’ll be okay.”

She sighed. “It’s just hard to watch when there’s nothing you can do.”

“You’re here,” he whispered. “That’s all that matters to me.”

Karen wiped her eye. “Oh Joshua, I’m going to cry again!”

JC simply squeezed her hand. “It’s okay. You can do that.”

She sighed again. “You need to rest.”

I won’t argue with that. But I think she’s telling me that so I won’t see her cry. “Yeah. That takes a lot out of me.”

She kissed his forehead. “I love you, honey.”

“I love you, Mom.”  He turns to Roy. “And you too, Dad. Thanks for being here today.

“That’s what I’m here for, son.” His father replied.

JC drifted off without another word.

 

He awoke again about an hour later. The midnight black of the room indicated it was night outside. He didn’t exactly know what hour, but it didn’t matter; there was no use keeping track of every moment he lived in this hell. All he was focused on was surviving that moment. And once he conquered that one, it was on to the next traumatic instance. And you got through that last sickening instance, Great job by you, Chasez.

 

He turned over on his right side. Wouldn’t it be nice to have Jenna curled up next to me? Just to have a warm body to make this bearable? He didn’t fight the thought; that’s all it was, after all.  It scared him how fast he had fallen in love with her. Time and time again he’d told himself he shouldn’t because of the disease and treatment. Yet her presence made the ordeal easier to endure. Her voice dissipated his fears and worries. Her touch comforted his ailing soul. Oh, how he wished her lips could be a comfort as well. He was done trying to put up a front. Yet he wasn’t sure if she was. I don’t want to think anymore. I just want to hear her voice and forget about this for a while. He clicked her name and awaited her answer.

 

“Hello?”

“Hey Jenna.”

“Oh. Hey. How are you?” The tone indicated she had been caught off guard by his call.

“Gravely ill. But so what else is new?”

“Rough day?”

“You know the drill. Expelling my guts out both ends then sleeping the day away.”

“Sounds about right.”

JC sighed. “I wish I had my shit together, Jenna.”

“Looks deceive, Josh. You could have everything society thinks is the measure of success but still have a gnawing feeling it’s not right for you. But you ignore it because you’re so desperate for that so called perfect life and don’t give a damn if it kills you.”

That’s the most she’s told me about herself. “Did that happen to you?”

“I thought I had everything. My ex had just proposed and we were going to be that picturesque couple with all the trimmings. I'd been hired full time for the first time in over a year. I thought, yeah I've made it. I'm set. Oh how wrong I was.”

“Why do you say that?”                                                                                                                    

“The engagement fell apart only a few months later and the job was nothing like I hoped. My boss is the Devil's incarnate. I hate him with a passion but yet I have to smile and take the beatings day after day.”

“I know that feeling. What kinds of things does he say to you?”

“Words that shouldn't be said to anyone let alone to a woman.” She sighed. “Why are you so interested in my feelings anyway?”

“Because it's not just me in this friendship.” As much as I’d like it to be more. “It's not just my problems, Jenna. Healthy relationships involve give and take. And I want to give you what you've given me.”

She sighed again. “I don't need anything in return”

"You do. You're just too stubborn to admit it because you don't want to have your heart ripped out of your chest."

Jenna muttered an expletive under her breath. "You're driving me crazy, Joshua."

She knows how to run in the other direction from good intentions. "Same goes to you, Jenna."

"Ah, mutual irritation. Gotta love it."

“You're a smart one, aren't you?"

Jenna chuckled. "It's been known to happen."

"Not only that, you have a beautiful soul. I just wish you could see that. You're so kind and giving."

"Well, thank you. I'm glad you noticed."

“It’s hard not to. You’ve been here for me in a lot of ways. I don't see how you can give so much and not want anything in return."

“It’s like you said. I give in hopes the other person will do the same, but they rarely do. So, I don’t...  No, I shouldn’t. I’ve said enough already.”

“Not really. I was just starting to get to know you on a deeper level.”

“It’s better you don’t right now. I have to go.” She hung up.

 

Well, that wasn’t the pleasant conversation I’d hoped for. She had a treacherous edge to her voice tonight. What had been bothering her? The dynamic seemed tenser now. What had he done to receive such a reception? Or maybe something changed on her end? I hope it's not irreparable. I really enjoy having Jenna around. It's such a shame she doesn't see herself as I do. But quite frankly I don't know how much longer I can offer my affections only to meet a brick wall. She starts to crack but then patches it almost as quickly. What is she so afraid of? Probably the same the same thing you are. Getting hurt.

 

Still, he still had a sneaking suspicion she was hiding something. What, he didn’t know. Maybe she’d gotten into an argument with a boyfriend. Or had a bad day at work? Speaking of her job… no, she wouldn’t set me up like that. Or maybe her boss is. She’d mentioned him on several occasions recently. Maybe this guy was pressuring her to write a story about JC’s imminent death. This wasn’t the truth, even though JC felt like dying some days. God, I hope that wasn’t her intention from the beginning. Then she would be no better than the others and I would be a fool to fall for that shit again. He groaned. Damn you, Jenna. I want to give you the benefit of the doubt. I want to believe what I’ve seen. But it’s getting harder.

 

Then why don't you ask her? Oh sure, that'll be a great conversation starter. "Hey Jenna, have you been playing me this whole time just for career gain?" He snorted as her words from yesterday played in his head. She looked so sincere. As he had said before, she didn't seem like a fake. Then again, I'm not the best judge of character as my life demonstrates.

 

Come on, Chasez. What’s so different about this potential story? Other people with nothing to do are sitting around making up shit to publish. It was because he was directly involved. Random faceless bloggers could say what they want about his circumstances. But Jenna had infiltrated his inner circle and climbed inside his heart. He didn’t want to be in love with her, but it turned out that way. Part of him refused to believe she would set him up. Not the woman who had been a companion, took him to his treatment and held him while he cried.

 

He sighed in resignation. Something has to give soon enough. We can't keep dancing around this boundary. I have to have an answer. My circumstances are uncertain enough as it is; I need to know what’s going on.

 

Chapter 20 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is fiction; original characters are mine!

Finally! After nine weeks, an update is here.  Hopefully it won't take that long for the next one with the ending of this chapter the way it is.  Let's just say I'm prepared to hear a few "How could YOU?" after this.

Trigger warning: Intense suicidal thoughts in the first four paragraphs of this chapter. Feel free to ignore that section if that kind of content troubles you.  

Chapter 20

 

Morning announced its return with beaming light through JC’s window. He rubbed his eyes and snorted. Too damn bright, he thought. Yet I don’t have the strength to go close the curtains and block it out. You just had to pull the bright and cheery act today, didn’t you, universe?

 

He grumbled into his pillow. What’s the fucking point of getting out of bed today? Any result will more than likely mean more treatment, which means more puking out my guts and wishing I was dead. It’s hellish enough trying to live day after day; I rather not think about the possibility of being on treatment for the rest of my life. And lord knows how long that might be. This disease could possibly kill me in a month, six months or a year.

 

Why don’t I just curl up and die?  It would be easier. The people I love wouldn’t be burdened with taking care of me. I wouldn’t have to be in pain anymore. God, why don’t you let me die? Why do you keep me here in this desolate and empty desert? No oasis to quench my thirst for normalcy or vegetation to restore my faith in color.  Again, I ask ‘Why?’” Why am I even here? Why must you torture me so? He heard no answer. Not that he expected to; his prayers had gone unanswered for some time. God’s probably not even listening to me right now anyway.

 

I wish I could stay in bed and not have to interact with anyone. Everyone will probably try to feed me positive bullshit that I don’t believe and sounds trite after the first five times. I have nothing to gain from the world today nor do I have anything to offer.

"Can’t you go blind someone else for once?” He growled as the sunlight crept further into his room. He then buried his face deeper into his pillow.

 

His phone buzzed again. “Shit,” JC mumbled. “Who wants to give me bad news now?” He glanced at the screen and noticed Jenna’s name. Oh, so now you want to talk? You weren’t so eager yesterday.

“Hello?” he answered groggily.

“Hey. Did I wake you, sweetie?”

Sweetie? This is new. “Nah, you’re good. What’s up?”

“Would you have time to talk this afternoon?”

Honestly, I want to be left alone today. But then this must be important if she’s initiating this. I don’t have the heart to turn her down. “I have a doctor’s appointment at 12:30 but that’s it. Why?”

“I need to tell you something.”

Good. I might actually get some answers. “Does it have to do with why you’ve been so on edge?”

“It’s the exact reason. Are you angry?”

He shook his head. “No. I just want answers. I don’t have time to fool with games.”

“You’re right.  Please don’t think badly of me.”

He cracked a smile. “Jenna, it would have to be downright treason for that to happen.”

She cleared her throat. “I do like being around you, JC. And I don’t want to keep secrets from you.”

Again, she deflected that away awfully quick. “We’ll talk this out and go from there. Don’t worry, okay?”

“I won’t. Let me know how the appointment goes.”

I don’t buy the tone. She’s really worried about this. “I’ll tell you when you get here. Is it alright if I text you when I get back?”

“Peachy. I’ll see you soon.”

 

He shook his head as they hung up. Dammit, Jenna Timbrook. You’re making it harder and harder to get close to you. Why do you open the door only to slam it in my face? We need to get to the bottom of this. I can’t keep running into a brick wall. Her explanation better be good.

 

Karen rapped on his door a moment later. “Joshua, are you awake? It’s noon. We have to leave for the doctor in ten minutes.”

Wonderful. Let’s see how many more months my prison sentence will last. “Coming,” JC mumbled. At least I don’t take forever to get ready these days. He’d slept in yesterday’s t-shirt and pants and he never removed his beanie hat unless he was showering. He grabbed his sunglasses from the side table and found a pair of flip flops and before heading downstairs.

 

Roy and Karen were waiting by the front door when JC reached the foot of the stairs. His mom kissed her cheek. “Hi sweetie. How are you today?”

He smiled lightly at his mother’s affection. His stomach churned in guilt. I can’t tell her about those thoughts. It’ll scare her to death, no pun intended. “Hanging in there. Ready to get this appointment out of the way.”

“I think we all are, son.” Roy said. He opened the door. “Shall we go?”

JC sighed. “Might as well.”

 

“What kind of result are you hoping for?” Roy asked once the trio was in the car.

JC shrugged. “Haven’t thought about it. What about you?”

“I hope the cancer isn’t worse. That this medication they’re giving you hasn’t inadvertently caused the cells to grow or metastasize elsewhere in your body.”

Oh God, I hope not. That’s the last thing I need right now.

His parents started discussing possible outcomes further and JC tuned them out. He didn’t want to think about it anymore. He’d only been awake almost 20 minutes but it felt like an eternity to his body and mind. He had gone from wishing he was knocking on Death’s door to putting on a fake smile to hide the pain. Isn’t that what you have to do sometimes? Pick yourself off the floor and force a presentable persona to the world? He remembered doing that many a morning after leaving Jive.  At the time, he thought nothing could be worse than the emotional pain he was in during that period. At least then I had the option to sing to myself if I needed comfort. Now I don’t even have that. He sighed, a tear brimming from his left eye. I just don’t understand. Why did cancer choose to destroy my life? Not that I wish this on anyone, but couldn’t it have someone else’s life to wreck? I’m glad I put on sunglasses so they can’t see. He cleared his throat.

 

15 minutes later, the group was waiting in an exam room as Dr. Franklin arrived. “Hello everyone! How are we doing today?”

JC shook his doctor’s hand. “I’m here. That should be enough, right?”

“Of course it is.” Dr. Franklin greeted his parents before opening his iPad case. “JC, you’ve passed the three month mark in treatment. That means we’re halfway through phase one. Information we gather from today’s scan will help us determine what route we will take next.”

I can’t gather the energy to be excited about that. This war has worn me down to the depth of my soul.

“That is wonderful news!” Karen studied JC’s expression. “Aren’t you excited, honey?”

JC shrugged. “It’s good, I guess. No day differs from the next for me anymore.”

“What does this entail, Doctor?” Roy asked.

“It’s pretty simple procedure, really. I use a 2 millimeter wide camera to look at the tumor. He has to drink some numbing agent so his gag reflex won’t swallow the device.”

Karen shuddered and Dr. Franklin touched her hand reassuringly. “It doesn’t last long. The last time I did this, he regained feeling within minutes. It’ll be fine.”

Compared to what I’ve been through in the past 24 hours, this will be a piece of cake. At least I won’t feel any pain from this procedure. “He knows what he’s doing. I trust him.”

His mother relaxed slightly. If her son could trust the doctor, so could she. “Will we be allowed in with him?”

Dr. Franklin nodded. “Of course. I’m not removing anything today. It’s mainly a progress check. If you’re ready, you all may follow me.”

JC hopped off the patient table. I don’t want to spend another second here than I have to.

The doctor chuckled. “Someone is eager to get this out of the way.”

“Yeah,” JC replied with a slight smile.

 

The group went to the same exam room where JC’s first procedure took place. “Recognize this, JC?”

All too well.  “Yeah.” The material hissed as he sat down in the chair.

“Karen, Roy, we’ve provided chairs for you all over here,” Dr. Franklin motioned to the right corner of the room.

“Is Colleen coming?” JC asked.

Dr. Franklin shook his head. “Nope, I’m doing everything today. I thought you might like that better.”

“Yeah, she didn’t exactly ease my mind.”

“What will happen today is you’ll take the solution and I’ll scan your throat with the camera to see what your mass has been up to since surgery. Your parents will be able to see what it looks like on the screen while it’s in there; I’ll also take pictures to show you afterwards. Then, based on what I see, I’ll make a recommendation. But that is always up for negotiation. Sound good?”

The patient nodded. “Bring it on.”

“Then here’s this.” Dr. Franklin handed JC the vial of clear liquid. Last time I was terrified of this stuff. Now I kind of wish it lasted longer so I don’t have to feel the pain of the coughing fits.

He ingested the familiar salty concoction. The bitterness wasn’t quite so shocking as the previous time, but still a formidable foe. The numbness overtook him within a minute.

“You ready, son?” Dr. Franklin asked with a masked face and gloved hands.

JC internally rolled his eyes. Just do it. Quit asking me stupid questions. He opened his mouth in response.

The physician picked up his camera and moved it towards JC’s mouth. Then he gently maneuvered it into JC’s throat until he got the desired angle to see the mass. Dr. Franklin sighed exasperatedly and shook his head.

“What do you see, Doctor?” Karen inquired.

“The mass looks about the same as it did after surgery.”

You mean I’ve gone through Hell and back and I’m still not better?  Wonderful. Just wonderful. JC clenched his fists on the chair’s arms.  

“I know, JC. I’m just as frustrated as you are.” Dr. Franklin retracted the camera from his throat.

You’re not the one living in this hell day in and day out. How dare you try to say you know how I feel? The patient bit his lip to keep from screaming or cursing. Not that I can right now since that stuff is still on my chords.

“What happens next?” Karen asked.

“We keep doing treatment. I’m going to increase the dosage of one drug to see if that will help any. The current cocktail is only containing the remaining cells, not shrinking them.”

“Will it make his side effects worse?” Karen asked.

“I don’t think so. I’ve given that dosage to other patients and it doesn’t make the side effects worse. That doesn’t mean he won’t have them. That won’t change.”

“Yesterday he couldn’t keep even water down,” Roy said.

Dr. Franklin frowned. “Unfortunately, that is a common effect from chemotherapy. Is that a regular occurrence?”

Oh please. Heaven forbid I have to go through yesterday again. JC shook his head.

“I think that was the first time he’s been that ill.” Karen added.

“Keep a close eye on that for me. If that continues for a significant amount of time, I’ll substitute one of the medications for another.”

Define significant. Even a second is a significant amount of time for me these days. The patient groaned.

“Do you think he’ll need another round of treatment?” Roy asked.

Gavin shrugged. “I don’t know. It depends on how well this medication increase goes in the next few months. The new combination could do the trick or make the tumor worse. I can make an educated guess as a doctor, but the human body can decide to go in a different direction.”

He then turned to JC. “Do you have any questions for me?”

What is there to ask? I’m doomed to several more months in this hell and there’s no way out. The numbing agent had worn off but he had zero desire to speak to his doctor. He shook his head.

“I’m sorry he’s not so talkative today,” Karen replied.

“Don’t apologize. I don’t take it personally. Sometimes, patients get so consumed with living this reality that they don’t want to talk about it more than they have to.”

Thank you, God. He understands what I’m thinking. JC smiled genuinely at Gavin. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. I can tell you’re burning out. The next few months will be just as taxing, if not more so. You’ll need your support system more than ever. Let them be there for you.”

I will if they want to stay around. He shook his doctor’s hand.

Dr. Franklin patted his shoulder. “Take care, JC.”

“I’ll try.”

 

One uneventful car ride later, the Chasezes were back at JC’s house. Karen made her son a turkey and cheese sandwich. JC took his time with eating. Luckily, nothing regurgitated this time. He was relieved after not bring able to keep anything down the previous day. Still, he wished he could enjoy food more. That was one of the main things cancer had robbed him of. He couldn’t find joy in any part of life because it had become such a task to survive.

 

 After lunch, JC and Roy settled in to the living room to watch a LA Dodgers baseball game on TV. “Have you heard from Jenna recently?”

That’s right, she did call me earlier. “Yeah. She said she wants to tell me something.”

“Did she give you any indication of what that might be?”

JC shook his head. “No. I’m getting frustrated with the situation. She opens up a little bit only to slam the door in my face.”

“She’ll explain herself in time. Maybe today is that day.”

How he know that? He hasn’t talked to her much that I know of. JC groaned while reaching for his phone. “I don’t have the energy for this shit.”                                                                                        

Roy smirked. “He says while getting out his phone to text said woman in question.”

“Shut up, Dad.” He’s right, though. Despite all that, I still want to see her. Why am I doing this to myself? “I’m home now. Let me know when you want to come over,” he typed.

“I’m right, aren’t I?”

JC rolled his eyes. “Yes, you are Dad. I just hope today is the end of the games and we can be one or the other.”

“You like having her around. I know you do.”

“Yeah, I do. But she makes it hard to get close to her when she casts out bait only to reel it back in.”

“Loving women isn’t always easy, son. Even after all these years, your mother and I have our disagreements. But it’s worth it because of what we’ve built together.”

“I can’t think that far ahead right now.”

“You don’t have to. Just see what she says and figure out where to go from there.”

JC’s phone buzzed. Jenna had texted back. “I can be there around 4, would that work?”

Here goes nothing. “Sure.” He typed.

 

JC zoned out from his surroundings after a while. I don’t understand her. There’s nothing for her to gain here. Although if my theory from yesterday is true… maybe her boss is telling her to be nice to me so he can screw me over. But that didn’t seem right. She had only been especially jumpy the past few weeks. She has a past, too you know. Maybe some guy hurt her just like women have done to you. Even so, having my affections meet a brick wall is getting old. I think I’ll give her a taste of her own medicine. See how it feels.

 

Roy nudged JC around four o’clock. “Hey, I think your lady friend is at the door.”

He smiled wryly. Why does the thought of her still make me smile?  “Will you answer it, please?”

“Sure.” His father left the room.

JC grunted and stood up in preparation for Jenna’s arrival. You better make this worth it, Timbrook.

She appeared a moment later, tiredness apparent in her features. Her eyes were half open and blue hues lined underneath, her hair was windblown and the top button of her button down shirt exposed her well-toned décolleté. Regardless, she smiled brightly as the sight of him.  “Hey.”

Even when you’re tired you look beautiful. “Hey Jenna.”

She wrapped him in her arms. Dammit, she feels heavenly. He returned her affection by doing the same for her. Good going, Chasez. So much for trying to resist her. Something about her size and stature allowed her to completely embrace him from all angles. At least for that moment, he was in a warm and safe place. I wish you would let us do this more often. I could stay in your arms forever.

They broke away a few moments later. “How are you feeling?”
He shrugged. She, like Karen, didn’t need to know about his death wishes. “I’m alive, I guess. Whether it’s a good or bad thing remains to be seen.”

“Of course it’s a good thing! You get to see me, don’t you?”

JC smirked. “Yeah. You have a point.” He attempted to clear his throat, which lead him to start coughing. Perfect timing, body. Just perfect. We could have had another moment there.

“Do you need anything?”

He shook his head and he held up a hand to excuse himself for a moment.

 

After a few minutes of violent coughing in the bathroom, the fit subsided. I absolutely hate those fits. But it could be worse. I could be regurgitating everything I’ve consumed. He also felt a little nauseous, so he decided to relieve himself for good measure. Then hopefully Jenna and I can figure out what her deal is. I’m getting tired of this act.

 

“For the last time, Derek, I refuse to hurt someone I care about for the sake of money!” Jenna barked as JC left the restroom.

He froze in his tracks and his heart sank. Shit… has she been playing me this whole time? What does she mean by that? He tip toed to the living room entrance. Jenna was sitting on his couch and he could tell she was angry. She was breathing heavily, her left hand was clenched tightly in a fist and her right leg swung impatiently on top of a crossed formation.

That explains everything. I should have seen this coming from a mile away. Some greedy dickhead is using her to make money and generate publicity for his publication. She said she refuses to hurt me but does she really mean that?

Her voice intensified. “Even if I was, it’s none of your DAMN business. NONE of this is your business. You know what? GOOD DAY!” She hung up.

JC cleared his throat. “Is there something I need to know about?”

Jenna whipped around and her jaw dropped.

Chapter 21 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

 Story is fiction; original characters are mine.

And another two months goes by. I'm sorry it takes so long to get these updates out, all. Life gets busy and it takes a lot out of me to write the content because it's so personal in a lot of ways. Anyway, that's not what you came here for!

This story has passed 10,000 reads. This is UNREAL, y'all. Thank you a million times over for reading and supporting. It truly does mean the world to me. Thank you for your responses... just thank you.

Anyway, hope you enjoy!  

Chapter 21

 

“Oh, uh, hi. Yes, there is something you need to know about,” Her left leg started shaking.

JC clenched his fists and approached her. “Is that what you’ve been doing this whole time? Getting me to trust you and have feelings for you only to screw me over?”

Jenna scoffed, crossing her arms. “No, of course not! Like I said, I want to talk about that. It’s not what you think it is! I promise!”

“I’m not sure I want to know the answer now.” He groaned and shook his head. “Shit, Jenna. What is it about me that prompt women like you to walk all over me?”

“What do you mean women like me? I’ve only been nice to you! I’ve taken you to treatments and been over here practically every day for lord knows how long.”

“But maybe kindness wasn’t your motive.” He stepped closer.

Jenna shot up and glared at him. “Excuse me? How dare you tell me what my motives are when you won’t listen to me!”

“I’ve seen it before. You’re all fake, manipulative, stupid and only after the money. Admit it.”

Jenna opened her mouth but words failed.

“See, that proves my point. You can’t even come up with a defense for yourself.”

“That’s not it!” she spat. “I can’t believe you right now. You’ve asked me to talk about myself; I was willing to open up but not now if you just cut me down like this!”

He shrugged. “It’s the truth.”

“Maybe in your mind.” Jenna picked up her purse. “I feel sorry for you right now.”

JC narrowed his eyes. “Sorry? What the hell do you mean?”

“Look, I don’t know who hurt you in the past. But you’re assuming I’m like her for whatever reason. And I don’t think it’s fair that you’re punishing me for what she did. That’s why you’re alone. You don’t trust anyone new who shows you kindness because you’re so convinced we’re all the same. Newsflash: maybe I’m not her. Maybe not everyone is out to get you.”

“GET OUT!” He bellowed. Where the fuck did that come from?

Jenna gasped and froze for a moment. Her eyes widened in recognition and bit her lip to block any impending emotion.

“I SAID GET OUT!”

She scurried away without another word.

What have I done? Fuck, what does it matter? I can't stand to look at her right now, let alone consider her feelings. She's dead to me. A muscle in his neck started throbbing. He groaned and folded his arms and massaged the area in attempts to quell the pain. Gah, will you please not do this, body? If it’s not illness killing me, it’s emotions. Fuck this shit. Fuck it all. Why can’t I go back to not feeling a damn thing at all? Life will be so much easier. I shouldn’t have gotten out of bed today. Everyone has fucked me over the past 10 years anyway. I’m stupid to expect better. All I’m asking for is genuine interest and support. Evidently that is too much to ask of people.

 

Karen rushed in the room, snapping him out of his thoughts. “Is everything okay, honey?”

No, Mom. My world is fucked up. “Buzz off,” he growled. “I don’t want to talk about it right now and I recommend you leave me alone for a long time.”

She nodded and left the room.

JC sighed. You know what? I don’t want to think, feel or be aware of anything around me. I think I’ll watch some movies and call it a night. A Harry Potter marathon sounds like a great idea right now.

 

A bout of nausea erupted halfway through the second movie. Unfortunately he didn’t make it to the bathroom and vomited on the carpet. Roy and Karen came in to help him clean up the mess. Roy then guided him up the stairs to his bedroom. That’s it. I’m not getting out of bed tomorrow. That wore me out to the core. The world is conspiring against me anyway.

 

Pitch black surrounded him hours later. He looked at the clock. 4:10 a.m. That usually means I’ve been out drinking excessively and just got home. He yawned and rubbed his eyes. Damn, I was an asshole to Jenna, wasn’t I? I didn’t give her a chance to explain herself. Tonight might have turned out much differently had I done so.

 Her last glance had a hint of recognition, as if someone had treated her that way before. Maybe her father or an ex-boyfriend. I’d love to give that person a piece of my mind. Jenna’s a gentle soul; I can’t imagine anyone willingly hurting her. Well, that’s what you did, asshole. I didn’t mean to, though. Doesn’t matter. You still hurt her and she may never want to talk to you again. JC grunted and adjusted his position in the bed. You win, disembodied voice. I’m a disgusting human being for bringing those memories to the forefront.

She probably thinks I’m some sort of heartless monster; truth is, I can’t bear the thought of laying my hands on anyone. A man who truly loves his woman would never do that. He grunted as he turned over once again. Why are you bringing the word ‘love’ into the conversation? You feel an attraction towards Jenna, but it’s not love yet. Even so, a decent guy would never consider that option.

 

JC’s romantic escapades ran the gamut from one night stands to marriage potential and everything in between. Overall, he tried to treat women with the respect they deserved. Of course, he had moments he wasn’t proud of; he was only human after all. Nevertheless, Jenna was right. One relationship had hurt him almost beyond recognition and the aftermath altered his trust of women as romantic partners. The current circumstances elicited a strong sense of déjà vu. He couldn’t bear possibility repeating that time in his life.

 

He and Eva met at some celebrity gathering ten years ago. She was fresh off a divorce and looking to launch an acting career. He wanted comfort while dealing with an uncooperative record label. Looking back, their affair was based on physical attraction; they both were lonely people looking for company. They had a lot of sex. Somehow, he fell hard for this woman. To this day he didn’t know why. But he did.

 

Towards the end, Eva drifted away emotionally: she didn’t make eye contact, clammed up when he asked about her day, would show affection for the cameras but would ignore him once an event started or at home. He asked her several times if she was happy with him; she always put on that fake Hollywood smile and said yes. Over time, that answer wore on him and this caused many arguments. She accused him of being insecure and he thought secrets shouldn’t exist between them. One night, he was driving them home from dinner. That day with Jive executives had been particularly frustrating, and traffic was aggravating in itself. So, he was already in a bad mood. Eva told him something trivial; he responded with “Goddammit, Eva!”

“What is wrong with you?”

That proceeded into an argument while he drove 75 mph with four lanes of traffic going each direction. Since he wasn’t paying attention, he swerved into the right lane, causing Eva to hit her head on the window and nearly crashed into the next car. That earned deafening honks from all directions. He immediately apologized and asked if she was okay but she ignored him. Neither one spoke the rest of the way. Once he pulled into her driveway, she slapped his left cheek several times and accused him of trying to kill her.

 

He knew right then the relationship was over. Not only did he have the guilt of psychically hurting the woman he loved, she punished him viciously. He knew it was the wrong place to respond in that fashion, but emotion had overtaken him. I can still hear the honks and squealing tires. If it had been a few seconds later… Stop it Chasez. That was a different situation. She’s long gone now. Still, he loved her: she was funny, vivacious, outgoing and fit into his looks type. He couldn’t muster up the strength to say the words. However, he didn’t have to as he walked in on Eva and Tony having sex in her bed.

 

Then a few weeks later, Eva did that infamous interview with Rolling Stone, which drove the stake in his heart further. He vowed to never fall so hard for anyone else again. He had invested all he had into their relationship and she didn’t respect him enough to keep the breakup private. Paparazzi found ways to use her comments against him for months afterward, which added insult to injury.

 

“For the last time, Derek, I refuse to hurt someone I care about for the sake of money!”

That sounds like she’s being pressured into this situation. It would explain her frequent unease the last few weeks. Bosses breathing down your neck are a pain in the ass and a half. And what does she mean by ‘care about’? That could translate to anything. But let’s say she does have real feelings for you. The last person she would tell is her conniving boss who’s trying to bank in on your pain. Right? He hit his head on the pillow. I’m fucking crazy. I’m getting into arguments with myself.

                                                                                                        

Now Jenna was sneaking into the depth of his heart in ways few others had. She could read him like a novel and that’s why he’d told her to leave. Because he hated how right she was. He hated how he couldn’t trust women enough to have a deep and intimate bond with them. He desired a love that knew all the edges, didn’t care about the image and still loved him anyway. But that required being vulnerable; too many people had taken advantage of his vulnerability. I refuse to go through that again. I won’t let her get to me.

 

Her face came to mind once again. You’ve got to be kidding. Way to pull on my heartstrings and guilt trip me again. He groaned. Shame on me for igniting fear in those eyes and making that body tremble in terror. I’m such a piece of shit. All I do is hurt those around me by being sick or expressing anger from the frustration. He snapped his middle finger from his thumb to his wrist. Ah! That surprisingly packs a punch. I wish Jenna could massage this. Shit, it always comes back to her, doesn’t it? Dammit Jenna, why do I care more about hurting you than I do myself? I’m already in way too deep aren’t I? He sighed and looked at his phone. 5:30 a.m. I need rest. I’ll talk to Dad about this when I wake up. That could be anywhere from an hour to 18 hours from now. All I know is I need rest. He inhaled and let the warmth move through his body. After 15 minutes of repeated breathing, slumber overtook him.

 

“Hey, Josh.”

JC half opened his eyes. Roy was shaking him awake with a concerned look on his face. His eyes were wider than usual, as was his mouth. “You still alive?”

The younger man yawned. “Yeah. Why wouldn’t I be?”

“You happen to have this thing called cancer.”

JC smirked. “Heh, thanks for the reminder. Like I don’t already know that.”

“It’s 5:00 p.m., son. Your mom and I have tried to wake you up several times today but you haven’t budged.”

Oh, I don’t blame him for being scared, then. “I’m sorry, Dad.”

“It’s okay, Josh. I just want to make sure you’re functioning. I worry about you, too.” Roy squeezed his hand.

His son smiled wanly. “Thank you. I’m glad you’re here.”

“Wouldn’t miss it for anything.  How was your sleep?”

“I woke up at 4 a.m.”

“Were you sick?”

He shook his head. “No. I was mad at myself.”

“What for?”

“I yelled at Jenna last night, as you may have guessed. I feel like shit about it because she looked terrified of me.”

“Why do you say that?”

“She stopped for a second and her eyes got real big.”

“Let’s backtrack for a second. Why did you tell her to leave?”

“I overheard her talking to someone on the phone. She said that she refused to hurt me for the sake of money.”

“Do you know who this person is?”

“No. My theory is it’s her boss who’s using her to make money off me.”

Roy nodded in understanding.

“She works for a local music magazine as a writer and she’s mentioned that her boss has been a pain in the ass the past few weeks. I’m afraid she might pull an Eva on me, only as the one writing the story, not being interviewed for one.”

“I see. If that’s the case, do you think she’ll write the piece in question?”

JC groaned. “I hope not. But when I think about it, I don’t know her all that well. When she’s here, we talk about MY problems. Which is fine. Still, I’d like to give some of that energy back to her. She makes it hard by shutting down when anything personal comes up.”

“She probably has broken hearts, dreams and relationships like you do. You can’t know everything about the person from the beginning. Otherwise, there’s no room for growth.”

“You’re right. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt because she’s a new person. On the other side of the coin, a similar situation burned me to ashes in the fire. It’s influenced every relationship since then. So I’m terrified of feeling that pain again, especially with everything else going on.” He coughed.

“Wow! That’s the first time coughing hasn’t led to a catastrophic coughing fit.”

“Now that you mention it, that’s true. Cool.”

“That’s all you have to say? Cool?”

“Dad, I don’t have the energy to do backflips around the room.”

Roy chuckled. “Okay, okay. Back to the subject at hand. It’s not fair to punish those in your future or present for what your past did.”

“Logically I know that, but my heart has a hard time following.”

“I understand. But what if the picture you expect to see isn't the one that's there?”
JC’s eyes narrowed. “What do you mean?”
“You've come to expect mistreatment since you’ve experienced it both professionally and personally. I’m not saying you did this knowingly, but you set a low expectation in your head. So, if someone performed at or below that standard, you wouldn’t get hurt.”

JC bit his lip.  He just nailed it on the head and knows me all too well. “How do you know that?”

“I’ve been your dad for 37 years. I think I know a thing or two about you.” Roy winked.

“She told me the same thing you did. I got angry about what I heard and then she got mad because I made assumptions that might not be true because of said anger. So, I didn’t give her a change to defend or explain herself. Which I should have. I need to apologize to her. I don’t know if she’ll accept it or not.

You never know unless you ask. She’s a special lady, Josh. I don’t think you want this to possibly slip out of your grasp.”

“I don’t either. But I’m afraid that may have already happened.” JC sighed. “Can you get me a little something to eat? Maybe some yogurt or something like that?”

“Sure. I’ll go see what your mom stocked in the fridge.”

 

JC was able to stomach some yogurt and granola. After that, he took a bath with Epsom salt to ease his aching muscles from lying in bed all day. He dressed in a shirt and boxers and settled in for another night alone.

 

I really wish Jenna was here. I bet she’s heavenly to cuddle with. I would melt in those arms. Her frame was wider than his, but it didn’t bother him. In fact that lead to comforting hugs as he’d experienced several times. He closed his eyes, picturing how their hands fit together the few times they’d touched. She’d held his hand after taking him to treatment and he didn’t move. She’s been here so much recently that it feels wrong not having her here. Gah, I’d give anything for her to be here right now. I’m such an ass for treating her like I did. She doesn’t owe you any response, you know. She has every right to ignore you if she wants to. He rubbed his left palm in between his thumb and middle finger, trying to recreate her distinctive touch. I know she doesn’t. Still, I didn’t expect to miss someone this much when I barely even know her.

I have to apologize. The guilt is going to eat me alive until I do. He clicked her name in his contact list and waited for a tone. One ring sounded, then two. My hands are shaking. I shouldn’t be this nervous. Rings three and four passed by like the previous two. At last, a voicemail started playing:

“Hi, you’ve reached Jenna’s cell phone. I'm currently unavailable. Please leave me a message and I’ll return your call ASAP. Thank you and have a great day.” (beep)

 

He sighed. Can’t say I’m surprised. She probably saw it was me and ignored the call. I’ll leave a message anyway.

 

“Hey Jenna, it’s JC. Listen, I’m sorry I yelled at you. Yesterday was an emotional day and what I overheard was the spark that ignited the fire. If you’d still like to explain what’s going on, I’m willing to listen. Or you could completely ignore this call and message. The choice is yours. So, maybe I’ll talk to you soon? I don’t know. Later.”

Chapter 22 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Every two months seems to be the trend, doesn't it? Again, I'm sorry these take so long. I hope you all think this is worth the wait. Sorry if the opening line seems so stark... I couldn't think of anything else to transition into it. Thank you again so much for reading! Enjoy this update and I'll talk to you next time :)

K  

Chapter 22

“Is a former boyband star hanging by a thread? Brandy Dillard has the story.”

“That’s news to me,” JC muttered. “Never mind that I feel like dying most days. But I’m still here, unless my heart or brain stops functioning.”

A young, plastic looking woman with caked on makeup appeared onscreen. “Thank you, Hannah. Yes, sources close to JC Chasez say his condition has taken a turn for the worse. Chasez was diagnosed with stage one vocal cancer in February. The source, who asked to remain anonymous, says the disease has metastasized into his brain…”

WHAT THE FUCK? This is getting way out of hand. I need to address this without airing my dirty laundry. His neck muscles stiffened again. Breathe, Chasez. It’s not worth losing your mind over. He massaged the area, knowing full well the effort was futile.

“The star has kept a low profile recently. He was last photographed with an unknown brunette on the campus of Norris Hospital near USC June 7. If you ask me, she could stand to lose a few pounds.”

“No one asked your opinion, bitch.” He grumbled. “Jenna’s beautiful and has a heart unlike you.”

“Calls made to Chasez’s manager regarding this story were not returned. We’ll keep you informed with further developments.”

“Fuck you,” He growled as he turned off the TV. “My life belongs to me. Don’t you have more important people to talk about?” At least Eric isn’t pulling an Eva on me. Or maybe he’s so sick of the situation that he wanted to wash his hands clean.  Why can’t people fuck off? I’ve already been humiliated far too many times in my career.

Now, who gave them that bullshit? I hope to God it wasn’t Jenna. Or maybe she refused and that person decided to go with whatever plan they had. Fuck, this is exactly what I didn’t want to happen. Something to steal my energy and mind away from beating cancer. Fuck my life. I should go back to bed and not deal with this. As if on cue, his phone buzzed. Jenna was calling him back. Wow, she actually called me back. I still owe her an apology, despite what I feel right now.

“Hey Jen.” He answered, attempting to conceal his anger.

“How did you know it was me?”

“Have you heard of caller ID?”

Jenna chuckled. “Oh, dear.”

“Listen, I’m sorry I yelled at you…”

She cut him off. “I’m sorry, too. I should’ve kept you informed. You have every right to be mad at me.”

“But so do you. I didn’t give you a chance to explain yourself. That was wrong of me.”

Jenna paused for a second.  “Yeah, that did hurt. You started hurling insults before I could clarify anything. You’ve encouraged me to talk about myself and I was this close to opening up.”

“And I probably fucked up that chance, didn’t I?”

“Not necessarily,” Jenna replied. “I wouldn’t have called you back if I didn’t have any desire to set the record straight. Really though, I should have told you.”

“That’s okay. We’ll talk about it and see what happens next.”

She sighed. “Oh, Joshua.”

“What do you keep saying that for?”

“It’s a phrase I use. I was just noticing how we’re defending each other from ourselves and we’re not even dating yet.”

“Well, good friends do that, right?”

“Right. But who says lovers can’t do it, too?”

Damn this girl is confusing me even more by the day.

She gasped. “Crap, I’m getting too deep here. We need to sort out that dynamic in person.”

‘That dynamic’, huh? The sooner, the better babe. “Can you stop by tonight?”

“I’ll be glad to. Can I text you when I get off, see how things are going by then?”

“Yeah, fine. Hopefully my body will cooperate this time.” He coughed.

“Hopefully so. I’ll let you go, then. See you later.”

“See ya.”

 

JC groaned after they hung up. Jenna Timbrook, you’ll be the death of me. I wish I knew your middle name so I could curse you that much harder. This will be a long day waiting to hear what she means by that. And now that I’ve heard this newscast… I have more questions than ever. He shook his head. Gah, I need to get out of here. Get out of this house, get away from this hellish life. I want to forget that I’m sick for once and not have this hanging over my head.

 

A knock sounded at his door. “What?” JC replied curtly.

Karen stepped in. “Hey Josh, you want to go to the beach today?”

“Ummm, why?”

“It’s a nice day out and we all could use a change of scenery. Do you think you feel well enough?”
“I think I could manage an hour, maybe a couple if we’re lucky. I was just thinking I wanted to get out of the house today.”

Karen smiled. “I’m glad to hear that. Do you need help getting dressed?”

JC scrunched his face. I’m a grown ass man, Mom. I think I can handle it.

She laughed. “Okay. I’m overstepping my bounds here.”

“I know a private one we can go to. I don’t want anyone to see me like this.”

His mother nodded. “I understand. We can take those precautions.”

 

JC and his parents stepped outside about an hour later. Across the street, he noticed a young man with a camera bag on his arm and the camera in his hands.  He shook his head. What a pathetic life you must lead, dude. Lurking behind stranger’s houses for the ‘golden’ picture when all you’re doing is pissing off your subjects. The paparazzo saw JC and lifted his contraption to take a picture. JC gritted his teeth under a fake closed lip smile and cordial wave. Keep your composure. It’s not worth your energy

“You didn’t have to acknowledge him, Josh.” Roy said once the trio settled in his car.

JC shrugged. “It beats the alternative. Some will chase you down the street and curse in your face if you ignore them. So even though I’m pissed as hell, I did my usual thing when I see one.”

“I don’t know how you stay so calm. It took everything I had not to approach that young man,” Karen said.

“Unfortunately I’m used to this. I shouldn’t have to. I shouldn’t have to watch my back wherever I go. I shouldn’t have to worry about being harassed when I have every right as everyone else to exist in peace.” He stroked his chin as he spoke. “The beach I’m thinking of is a little ways out of the way. Is that okay?”

Roy nodded. “That’s fine, son. Your peace of mind is priceless. Just give me the directions.”

 

About an hour later, the trio had arrived in Malibu. JC didn’t go often because of the traffic congestion. The sight was quite welcoming nonetheless. The endless azure sky reigned over the horizon and the white gold sand kissed his feet. The salty breeze caressed his cheeks. The clientele on these beaches were typically much older and wouldn’t care who he was. Nonetheless, he put on his Dodgers baseball cap and sunglasses as a disguise.

 

He and Karen carried low recliner beach chairs on the sand at the water’s edge.  JC sat down and let the water tease his toes as it ventured on and offshore. I didn’t know how much I needed this until now. This is relaxing.

“Are you enjoying yourself, Josh?” she asked after a few minutes of silence.

He nodded. “I could go to sleep right now. Thank you for suggesting this.”

“You’re welcome. I thought a little sunshine and a nice breeze might do you some good.”

“You guessed right on that one.”

“How are things with Jenna?”

JC shrugged. “We’ll talk about it after she gets off work tonight. I got mad at her because I didn’t like what she said to someone else on the phone.”

“Do you know who that person was?”

“I have a theory. And yes, I did apologize to her,” he added to answer Karen’s questioning expression.

“I wouldn’t mind if you two worked it out.”

He half smiled. “Finally warming up to the idea?”

“I voiced my concerns with her one day while you weren’t in the room. She said she had no intentions of hurting you. That was a few weeks ago, but I would hope it still stands.”

“I told her she doesn’t strike me as a fake. But I’m not the best judge of character.”

“For what it’s worth, I think she’s a keeper. Still, that’s not my decision to make. You two have to work through the circumstances yourselves. It won’t be an easy task, of course.”

JC laughed, the first genuine one in some time. “That’s the understatement of the millennium.”

She squeezed his hand. “I love seeing you smile, sweetie. It’s a wonderful sight.”

He smiled. “Thanks, Mom. I like it, too. Hopefully the universe will give me more reasons to smile.”

“Even if not, try to find the good in each day. You can find it if you look hard enough.”

“I certainly have for today,” he sat back in his beach chair and inhaled more salty air.

 

Roy bought the family sub sandwiches for lunch. After they were finished, JC said he was ready to go back; he wanted to get some rest in preparation for his and Jenna’s emotional conversation that evening. They arrived back at JC’s place around one or two. He wasn’t paying attention, as he crashed on the down stairs couch in his beach wear.

 

In the late afternoon, he found himself in his studio downstairs. The room with two boards full of knobs, switches, and buttons that could manipulate or create any section of music. The dusty black microphone stand stood in the booth beyond the glass window above the glass window. The keyboard lived on the opposite wall, next to a worn out leather couch that he hadn’t bothered to replace. No one had visited this studio in years. Back when he was actively singing and producing, many friends and colleagues passed through this space, passing song and lyrics ideas off the other (while sometimes clashing about said ideas), phrases being sung behind the mic and simply enjoying making music. Those memories were mere ghosts now; he knew they existed but doubted he would ever see them again in this life.

 

Sometimes he unearthed buried feelings and invited them in his mind. I miss that so much. Everything about this process gave me life. It was my lifeblood. Music got me out of bed every morning. We were one with one another. I’d give ANYTHING to have that sense of purpose back. But I never will. It’s gone. Even if I beat cancer, my voice won’t be the same. It won’t have the same power, range and flexibility. I don’t have the strength to fight back right now. I should just give up. Nothing is helping. I should just sit here and fade away to nothingness. No one will notice. No one will care anyway.

 

Someone knocked at his door. His mind jolted; Wait, I’m still here and need to talk to Jenna. We need to have a heart to heart conversation. He inhaled and sighed.

“Anyone home?”

Apparently I am. He looked up from the keyboard. Jenna stood in the doorway in a teal t-shirt and khaki crops. Her features had a reddish tint and her hair was pulled back in a messy ponytail. You look beautiful even when you’re tired. “Hey Jen. Come in.”

She stepped in. “This is where you make music, eh?”

JC grimaced. “Made, actually. This room hasn’t much gotten much action recently.”

“Have you tried writing songs?” She sat down on the brown leather couch against the wall.

She didn’t initiate a hug. That’s a first. He spun his chair around to face her. “I’ve tried to, but the words aren’t there anymore.”

“You must miss it terribly.”

He sighed.  If you only knew what’s been running through my mind. “You have no idea. But that’s not the conversation we’re supposed to have today.”

She cleared her throat as her left leg fidgeted up and down. “You’re right. I’m scared to tell you, though.”

“Why?”

“It might give you the wrong impression of my intentions.”

“Speaking of, why were you so scared of me the other night?”

Jenna scoffed and rolled her eyes. “Well, no one likes being yelled at, JC. What did you expect me to do, smile like a maniac?”

“Of course not. But you looked genuinely afraid for your life. Like someone had done that to you before.”

“Dammit, you can read me all too well,” she muttered

Wonderful. We've arrived again at the forbidden subject.

She cleared her throat again and sat up a little straighter. “I am adopted, as you know. My biological parents were abusive, my father in particular. Getting yelled at and hit for trivial reasons were regular occurrences. The ire in your expression reminded me of him. I figured you never wanted to see me again anyway.”

“Maybe for a split second. Sweetie, I’m so sorry I brought back those memories. I was angry, confused and hurt by what I’d just heard and didn’t know what to think.”

“It’s okay. I know you wouldn’t do what he did.”
“No, I never would. I care about you too much.” Come on Jen, I wish you’d break your walls down some, even if it’s just a smidgen. I’m taking all the hits to the heart here. I still don’t know if you’re interested in me that way.

“So, you’re not mad at me for the other night?”

JC sighed. “Jenna, we wouldn’t be having this conversation if neither of us were willing participants.”

“I’ll get to the point then. My boss, Derek, wants me to write a fabricated expose about you dying from cancer.”

I figured as much. He scooted his chair towards her. “Since when?”

She furrowed her brows in concentration. “The subject came up in passing a several weeks ago. I said ‘no’ and that was the end of the conversation at that point. Now that you ask, I think the pressure intensified after I took you to treatment. And it hasn’t stopped since.”

That bitch on the news said I was last publicly photographed on that day. “Fuck,” he muttered under his breath as his jaw tightened.

Jenna frowned. “Are you mad at me?”

“No. I’m mad at people who won’t mind their damn business.”

“You and me both. I repeatedly said ‘His life isn’t your property to profit from’.  He responded with, ‘You’re only saying that because you’re dating his ass.’ I would reply that my dating life was none of his concern.”

He cleared his throat. “I saw a newscast this morning about me. Did you have anything to do with that?”

Jenna’s eyes widened in horror. “Dammit, he went through with it.  He was pressuring me into having something written by midnight last night. If I didn’t, he said he’d spread a story much worse than what he wanted me to write.” She bit her lip. “He also said if I didn’t make that deadline, he’d fire me. That hasn’t happened yet, but it’s probably imminent.”

He gasped. "No way."

She frowned. “Yeah."

JC sat back in his chair, the magnitude of the stakes dawning on him. My predicament will cost someone their job. Guilt swallowed him; he never wanted to inconvenience her. She’s losing her job because of me. Dammit, I didn’t want her to get hurt. He studied Jenna’s expression: furrowed brows, slightly scrunched up nose and visible dimples. That face can’t lie. She’s being forced into this.  He gulped. "I’m sorry you’re in that position right now.”

She shrugged. “Don’t worry about me; I’ll be fine. Why did that argument upset you?”

There she goes deflecting it off herself again. “I suspected it might be something like this. It’s not my first encounter with this kind of thing.”

“What do you mean?”

JC took a long swing of water before answering. “Eva, one of my exes, sold me out once. She said in an interview with Rolling Stone that I was inadequate and she’d had better sex with her vibrator.”

Jenna gasped. “She did not!”

He frowned. “I wish I was joking. She’d never indicated anything of the sort to my face nor did she have the decency to keep our breakup private.” He sighed. “It’s still a sore spot. So, I freaked out after overhearing that conversation. I’m sorry; I should have told you.”

Jenna laced her hands with his. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about my situation. I was trying to protect you and us.”

Us? She must care at least somewhat. Her hands are so gentle. “I appreciate you coming clean. Are you going to help your boss spread more lies?”

She scowled. “Hell no. I refuse to hurt someone who’s an important person in my life just for the sake of money. Not to mention the headache that goes along with today’s nosey media culture.”
He sighed. “But I don’t want you to lose your job, either.”

She shook her head. “It wouldn’t be your fault; my boss is a money hungry asshole. I’ll take what we have over that any day.”

He raised his eyebrow. “What you do you mean ‘we’?”

 

Chapter 23 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

So, what did Jenna mean by 'we'? You'll find out that and so much more in this chapter. It's nice to write light and fluffy things compared to what the rest of the story's like. The story's up to page 90 in Word! We'll reach 100 soon :D I hope you all enjoy and thank you for your support.

K

Chapter 23

“Haven’t I made myself obvious? I have feelings for you, too.”

“Um, not exactly. The words might’ve been on the tip of your tongue, but they never came out.” Jenna sat up straighter and looked into his eyes. “Then, I’m spelling it out for you. I knew something would be different this time. Call it intuition, sixth sense, spirituality. Whatever it was, I was compelled to follow that feeling. I thought it was nuts at first. Even so, something told me you needed someone genuine; for some crazy reason I thought I would fit that role perfectly.”

JC smiled lightly. “You have. What I can’t wrap my mind around is how you give so much away yet want nothing in return.”

“Pbbbtt. That’s not it; I long to be appreciated by a non-familial male figure. Truth is though, I’m used to my needs getting stomped on that I stopped considering them valid.”

“I’m sorry you feel that way. Still, it’s an outright lie. It’s okay to accept support and let others take care of you.”

Her lips met his. Whoa, where did this come from? He closed his eyes and returned the motion while steadying himself with the chair’s arms. She tastes like mint but there’s something sweeter as well. Her lips are just as soft as I hoped they would be. I shouldn't be enjoying this. His bottom lip tensed up. She’ll get into even more trouble than she already is.

Jenna backed off and scooted down the couch slightly. “Sorry, I shouldn’t have done that.”

JC shook his head. “Don’t apologize. I enjoyed that kiss. But I’m feeling a little guilty for doing so. Your boss could hurt you that much more if he found out."

She shrugged. "I'll deal with him. Don’t worry."

He groaned and slapped his thigh. That’s the second time tonight she’s done that. "Dammit, Jenna! Will you please stop with that spiel! When I pursue a romantic relationship, it's because I care. I care about what happens to you and how what I say and do impacts your life. It's isn't a one way thing; I want to be there for you, but you have to be willing to let me in."

She turned her face the other direction. His heart sank and stomach twisted. Shit, now I’ve probably hurt her further. This could slide downhill REAL fast. Then again I can’t keep offering my affections only to hit a stone wall. It won’t work like that.

She met his gaze again with tears in her eyes. “You're right. I've wanted to open up to you but I got scared for different reasons.” She sighed. “I’m sorry I frustrated you. I was trying to protect you from Derek and myself at the same time.”

JC moved over to the couch and grasped her hand. “I’m sorry, honey. I’m not mad at you, I promise.”

Jenna raised her free hand. “No, I totally get it. Your energy is limited; it should be spent working toward recovery. And I’ll help you if you want me to.”

“Of course I want you to! Otherwise I wouldn't have invited you back. Why do you hesitate, Jenna?”

She took a deep breath before answering. “Derek’s almost ruined my trust of new men.”

“How has he done that?” He swept his thumb across her palm.

“He degraded every move or decision I made. When I tried to call him out, he’d blame me.  Then he’d apologize and promise he’d never say or do that again. It never lasted; by the next day the promise didn't exist. Now, I recognize his abusive behavior and won’t tolerate the bullshit anymore. That’s why he wants to get rid of me.”

“What a piece of work," JC growled.

“I know. He is. I hate how much he’s affected me. Yet something about you broke through. What is it about you, Joshua Chasez? What's causing me to trust you and let my guard down?"

“I've asked myself the same question about you.  Nevertheless, whatever fall out that comes from this, I’m here to catch you.” He caressed her cheek with his hand. “I won’t let anything happen to you, okay?”

She sighed. “I put off dealing with the pain for too long. Now I realize how much this hurt me.”

“Come here,” JC closed his eyes and kissed her. She responded as he brushed hair away from her face. Their noses mushed against their cheeks from the close proximity. He caught another whiff of mint as their lips drifted between the top and bottom section. What is that? It’s different. I like it. She moaned slightly and he a sensed a smile starting breakthrough. That’s what I like to see.

They broke away and she grinned. “I had forgotten how reassuring a kiss can feel.”

“You haven’t had one recently?”

She blushed. “No. I could get used to this, though. Maybe I can survive what’s about to happen.”

“Of course you can. You've had tough stretches before; this will be one more. Think about the support you already have in your life. You must have at least a few.”

She nodded. “Derek’s the exception, not the rule. Several have told me to leave on numerous occasions. I should’ve listened.”

“Can’t change that, sweetie.  Constantly wondering ‘what if’ can drive anyone insane. All that matters is you’re supported and you’re loved.”

“So are you in your battle. I've seen the way your parents look at you. They’d take a bullet for you if they had to.”

“On that note, may I ask you something?”

“Sure. What’s up?”

JC cleared this throat. "Do you have any reservations about dating a cancer patient?"

She shook her head. "I'm not scared. My mom had an episode when I was a teen. I see no reason why you can't survive like she did."

"You think I can beat this?"

"Yes."

Wish I was as confident about that as you are. "Well, as far as this goes, it's going to go slow. For now, I need a companion more than anything. Someone to comfort me when I'm hurting, keep me company while I'm at treatment, a warm body to lie with me at night."

"I already do two of those things," she replied.

"That you do. But I want to be upfront about my needs so you know what you're getting into. My main priority is to get better. Nothing will deter me from that."

She nodded.

He sipped some more water. "But I'd like your help in making this ordeal easier."

Jenna furrowed her brows. "I'm willing to do that whether we’re dating or not. What’s going to change? I'm confused."

"More kissing and cuddling are involved. How's that for an answer?" He replied.

She chuckled. "I'm okay with that. I truly want to be there for you. So you don't have to suffer in loneliness."

JC smiled sadly and laced her hands with his. "I appreciate it. I'll need your strength because I'm broken.

"In case you haven't noticed, so am I. Sorry, babbling all over the place tonight.” She reached for a tissue in her purse.

“It’s okay. I understand why you’re showing emotion. Even if you were crying you face off, I won’t think any less of you. You’ve been so strong throughout this ordeal.”

“Tell that to my brain. At night it relives every mistake I've made.”

“Come here, Jenna.” JC opened his arms.

She laid her head on his shoulder and draped her arms around his neck. The tension from the first kiss had disappeared.  He wrapped her in his embrace; she sighed contentedly as he did so. She’s starting to trust me. I can’t let her down.

They held each other in silence for a few minutes. She stroked her fingers across the nape of his neck. The remainder of stiffened muscles relaxed with her touch. She could do that all night and I wouldn't complain. Nor would I mind if we stayed like this.  He kissed her forehead. “It’ll be alright, Jen. We can handle this together.”

She nodded. “Thank you for giving me a second chance.”

“Nah, it was I who messed up. You were going to come clean and my emotions blocked your way. You know how I knew I had serious feelings for you?”

She looked up at him. “How?”

“I cared more about scaring and hurting you more than my own emotions. I thought, damn you really are in deep, Chasez. But I don’t care because you don’t judge me by my disease.”

“That’s because you can’t let what happens to you steal your identity. It’s a war through the trenches to get it back. So I don’t entertain that option. To me, you’re JC, my… partner. Boyfriend sounds so childish.”

“Partner is the best you could come up with?” He teased.

“We’re together. Anyway, my thought is if I don’t define you by cancer, maybe someday you won’t either and that will lead you to recovery.”

JC snorted. “You have a lofty goal to attain there, Jenna.”

Jenna shrugged. “Who says it can’t be done?”

A monstrous depression that’s haunted me for months now, perhaps? “Listen, I don’t have the strength for that kind of talk right now. All I need is you beside me.”

She kissed his lips again. “That’s fine.”

“Have you been tempted to kiss me before tonight?”

She blushed again. “A few times. You?”

“Same. Especially the day you held me while I was crying.”

Jenna nodded. “That was one of them. My heart broke for you. I wanted to kiss your forehead to show you that you weren’t alone. I talked myself out of it. Now I don’t have to.”

He smiled. “No, you don’t. You can kiss me whenever you like.”

“Like now.” Jenna kissed him. God I could get used to this, too. Her kiss rouses emotions I haven’t felt in a long time. They beamed at each other before meeting lips once more.

Finally, they broke away. “This turned out much better than I expected,” she said.

“I had no idea how this conversation would go,” he replied. “However, it couldn't have turned out any lovelier.”

“Lovelier, eh? That’s a fancy word.”

“Again speaking of, I’ll take you out on a proper first date when I feel better.”

Jenna shook her head. “Dates aren’t necessary. I’m enjoying myself right now.”

“It’s the least I can do, after you've been here for me.” He kissed her forehead once more.

“So, do I get a tour of the digs?”

His hands tightened into fists. That could lead to questions about subjects I’m not ready to delve into yet. We’ve barely made up and aired out our true feelings towards one another. My heart’s had enough tonight. “Not now. Another night maybe.”

“Are you going to address the rumors publicly?”

He groaned. Way to bring me back to reality, Jenna. “Haven’t thought about it.  I don’t like my private life splattered across the headlines for the public to criticize.”

“Well, like it or not, people are spreading blatant lies to the masses. It’ll only get worse the longer you ignore it. So called writers from those sad excuses for publications will call wanting conformation. I’m surprised they haven’t done so already.”

“They probably have. I haven’t checked because my phone has stayed in my room most of the day.”

“I’ve met a few people from TMZ and US Weekly. They’re relentless. Derek forced me into lunch with TMZ’s editor once and he was answering texts and emails left and right about bothering this or that celebrity.”

JC tossed his head back on the couch. “Do we have to talk about this now? Can’t we simply enjoy what’s developing between us?”

“Honey, you can’t hide from them forever.”

“Maybe I’d like to put it off at least a little while longer. Is that too much to ask?”

Jenna turned red. “No, it’s not. I’m sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up.”

“You’re right; ignoring the situation isn’t an option. However, we’ve started a romantic relationship and I’d like to enjoy that without any distractions.”

“So would I, to be honest. But my thoughts rarely shut down completely.”

“Can you please tell them to fuck off for the time being?”

She laughed. “I think you just did!” She placed her hands on his fists. “Why don’t you release these? That’ll help you relax.”

He took a deep breath and slowly started uncurling his fingers. About halfway through, Jenna folded hers about the same angle and joined his. He smiled. “I see what you did.”

She did as well. “Isn't that better?”

“Much. Here, let’s do the same for you.” He let go.

They repeated the exercise, which resulted in a contented sigh from Jenna. “You have nice hands.”

No one’s told me that before. “Why do you say that?”

“They grip mine perfectly. It’s sturdy, not harsh. Yet they’re gentle enough to wipe my tears.”

JC flushed slightly. She likes my touch, too. That’s a good sign.

“Why are you blushing?”

“It’s a nice compliment, that’s all. Touch is an important component.”

“I like hand holding. It’s simple and intimate at the same time. Hands are built for a variety of tasks: cooking, cleaning, driving building and bathing. When two hands meet, it creates an energy that didn’t exist before. And that energy sends the warm through the body and soul.”

JC kissed her hand. “You make it sound so extraordinary.”

She smiled. “I notice the small things in life. There’s always something good about your day even if overall it went to hell in a hand basket. Holding onto those positive thoughts got me through the hard days.”

It’s not that easy, Jen. If you only knew what I’ve lived through the past few months. “Here you go again with your positive tangents.”

“If you want to date me, you’ll have to get used to it. I’m a relatively optimistic person.”

“Hopefully it’ll rub off on me,” he whispered. “I don’t have any trace of optimism in my body at the moment.”

“I can help you with that, sweetie.” She kissed his cheek.

JC smiled coyly. “Thank you, Jen.”

She swept her thumbs across his hands. “You’re welcome. Like you said, we’ll get through this together.”

Time passed by in silence as they continued to hold each other. How much, neither was aware nor did they care. Holding Jenna in his arms was as blissful as he had hoped. And her embrace made him feel safe as well. A sense of comfort overwhelmed him. He didn’t have to fight any thoughts right now. He could just be with her and not have to worry about anything else. For the first time in months or maybe even years, his mind was quiet, at least for the moment. It was heavenly.

Finally Jenna sat up again. “I think I better go.”

JC gave her puppy eyes. “Do you have to?”

Jenna half groaned. “Do you have to give me that look? I can handle myself out there.”

“It’s nice having you here, babe.  I’ll miss you when you leave.”

“Missing the other person makes seeing them again more special. Isn't that how it’s supposed to work?”

He loosened his grip. “Fair enough. I haven’t had anyone to miss in a while.”

She playfully frowned. “Aren't I worth missing?”

He smiled. “Of course you are. I’ll walk you to the front door.”

Jenna stood up. “You don’t have to.”

He followed suit. “Just because I have cancer doesn't mean I can’t escort you to the door and kiss you goodnight.”

“Ever the gentleman, aren’t you?”

“I’m old fashioned that way.”

The couple arrived at the door about a minute later. “Thanks for coming over. I’m glad that we sorted this out.”

Jenna nodded. “Me, too. Not needing to keep a secret is such a weight off my shoulders.”

“No more of those, okay?”

She responded by kissing him. He closed his eyes and puckered his lips forward. I’ll never tire of this.

They broke away. “Will you please text me when you get home?”

“What are you trying to do, Chasez? Kick me out?”
“Hey! You’re the one who said she should be going.”

She shrugged. “I did. Sorry, I can be snarky sometimes.”

“Good to know.”  They kissed again.

She smiled. “And yes, I’ll text you. Thanks for the great night, babe.”

“You’re welcome. Talk to you soon.” He kissed her forehead.

“Goodnight, handsome.” She scarcely brushed the edge of his lips before pulling away and walked to her car. He watched her get in. She blew one final kiss through the windshield and he kissed his middle and index finger towards her. She beamed and started the car ignition. The engine’s rattle made him cringe inwardly. Ugh, she needs a new car. That’s not safe. She’d never let me do it, though.

After she left, he stroked his lips with his pinky finger.  Remnants of her kiss still remained. I can’t remember the last time a kiss lingered this much. What have you done to me, Jen? He exhaled. What is the matter with me? She’s barely been gone a few minutes and I miss her already.

“Everything go well?” Roy asked.

JC turned around with his hand on the doorknob. “Yeah. Everything’s out in the open.”

“Was your theory correct?”

He nodded as he closed the door. “Yep. It doesn’t surprise me. She said that her boss threatened to fire her if she didn’t do what he wanted. But she hasn’t.”

“Wow. That’s pretty brave of her.”

“She’s a brave woman for taking on this situation, period.”

“You look happy.”

He smiled. “I am. At least I have another bright spot with all the crap that’s going on.” He yawned.

“I was just going to ask you if you were tired. Are you going to turn in?”

He nodded. “I think so. It’s been a good day, though. Thanks for taking me to the beach.”

“You’re welcome. Anything I can do to help you. Can you make it up the stairs tonight?”

JC nodded. “I’ll holler if I need anything.”

Like it or not, people are spreading blatant lies to the masses… Jenna’s words echoed in his mind as he walked up the stairs to his bedroom. It’ll only get worse the longer you ignore it. He groaned. Why does she have to be right? I honestly don’t want to deal with it. Then again, turning a blind eye will most likely cause an even greater headache than I’m willing put up with. He picked up the device from his bedside table and tapped the phone screen. 20 voicemails. Fuck my life. He typed in his security code and looked at the list. All except one were from numbers he didn’t recognize. The other was from Eric. What does he want? I’ll listen to his first.

Listen, shithead. I’m not fucking dealing with this situation anyone. I’ve set up a message informing anyone who wants information on your condition can call you personally. Yes, you heard that right. I included your cell phone number. They can call you a hundred times a day for all I care. It’s your fault it came to this. I tried to warn you. You shouldn’t have gotten involved with that slut Jenna. Any attempts to reach me will be blocked.

Chapter 24 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Story is fiction. Original characters are mine.

Hey all! Sorry the updating is so sporadic.  Thank you for giving this little story the time of day. It warms my heart more than you know.

Hope you all enjoy and have a great Christmas! :)0 -K

 

Chapter 24

 

 “ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?” JC roared. “HOW DARE YOU ERIC? FUCK YOU!”

He tossed his phone across the room. It landed on the carpet some 10 feet away from where he stood. His head and neck muscles started throbbing once again.

Roy arrived upstairs a moment later. “Is everything alright?”

No, Dad it isn’t. Would I have just yelled for someone to fuck themselves if I was happy?  “Eric betrayed me,” he grunted.

“How could he do that? You’re not on speaking terms anymore.”

“Oh he found a way.”

“Take a deep breath and then tell me what’s wrong.”

JC did so. “There was a ‘news’ report on this morning that I’m dying. Obviously, that’s false. Eric left me a message stating that he wouldn’t answer any more phone calls on my condition.  He then left my personal cell number on a voice message. Now I have 20 fucking reporters breathing down my neck.”

Roy grunted. “That fiend.”

“You’re telling me.”

“Think of it this way. At least you don’t have that negative influence chaining you to the concrete You broke free from that shackle. While the aftermath isn’t ideal, you truly don’t have to worry about his involvement.”

JC sighed and shook his head. “I envy you, Dad.”

“Why?”

“You can find the bright side so quickly. I can’t do that.”

“Sure, you can Josh. Look, I know it’s hard to see the good in this while you’re so emotional. But one day you’ll be thankful this so called friendship ended. You don’t need people like him in your life. You’ve got many others who will support, encourage and comfort you. Focus on those folks. They make your life worth living.”

“You’re certainly one of them, Dad. Sorry if I scared you.”

“That’s alright. Now you can move forward and break away from the other burdens, too.”

“Like the cancer?”

Roy nodded and smiled. “Exactly. You can beat this, Josh. I have no doubt in my mind.”

JC sighed. “I wish I believed in myself the way others believe in me.”

“You will. Maybe not tonight but in time.” His father patted his son’s shoulder. “Why don’t you get some rest?”

“Not a bad idea.” JC hugged his dad. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, son. I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay.”

 

After he left, JC picked up his phone from the other side of the room. It survived its trip across the room unscathed. That was effing stupid of me to do. But I was so pissed. Still am, actually. Does he not have any regard for the hardships I’m going through in life right now? That the last thing I need is another headache that distracts me from dealing with this horrible disease? No, of course not. I’ve known that answer for a long time. And then Derek trying to capitalize on my pain? Doesn’t he realize I’m a person, too, with REAL FEELINGS? Not to mention he wants to jeopardize someone’s career just because she won’t do what he wants? All while exploiting her vulnerability and destroying her self-worth. God, my fellow males can be such dicks sometimes, can’t they? No wonder women have a hard time trusting us.

 

His neck muscles flared up once again as he flopped on his bed. Why does this hurt every time I’m angry? I wish Jenna was still here so she could ease the tension. He closed his eyes, remembering how her fingers had caressed his skin merely hours ago. When was the last time he’d been that relaxed in a woman’s presence? He couldn’t remember and it didn’t matter. Her embrace took away the pain, if only for a few moments.

You’ve put yourself in an awfully vulnerable position, Chasez. She could’ve sold you out just like Eva did. But she didn’t. That has to count for something, doesn’t it? That doesn’t mean she might change her mind behind your back and stab it at the last second. His nails dug into his palms. God, will you stop it brain? Why do you have to come up with every conspiracy theory known to man? Maybe I liked holding her close and kissing her lips. I feel safe with her. If that’s not right, then damn. It’s not like I haven’t been the fool before. JC shook his head. Look at me, I’m a fucking nutcase. Having arguments with myself in my head. Really? Who does that?

He glanced at the time. 10:30 and no calls or messages from her. She left about an hour ago. I need to check if she got home okay. Not to mention just hearing her voice again. He clicked her name on his contact list and waited.

“Hello?”

“Hey Jenna, it’s JC. Did you make it home?”

“I did, darling. Sorry if you’ve tried to call me already. My phone battery died out and I didn’t realize it until I walked in the door.”

“This is the first since you left so you’re in luck,” He groaned. “I want to break something or a certain someone’s neck.”
“What happened?”

“I checked my voicemail.” His nails clinched into his palm again. “Eric told me that he’s set up a message giving out my personal cell phone number. So now I have 20 different calls to answer about my imminent death.”

Jenna gasped. “That... schmuck.”

“And then he blamed it all on you. Said I shouldn’t have gotten involved and that you don’t have good intentions for me.”

She scoffed. “As if. Pardon my French JC, but he doesn’t know jack shit about me or the situation Derek put me in. Damn, I knew Eric was a weasel, but not that much of one.”

JC snorted. “Tell me about it. What did I do to deserve this?”

“Nothing. He simply doesn’t have any concept of how his actions affect others.”

“I’ve never hated someone more in my life. And people have done some awfully shitty things to me.”

Jenna didn’t respond.

He groaned. “I don’t want to deal with this shit, Jenna.”

“You don’t have to tonight, necessarily.”

“Why?”

“Sweetie, you’re angry, tired and might say something you’ll regret later. Why don’t you get some rest?”

JC took another deep breath. She’s got a point, you know. Why am I more inclined to do that when she tells me to? “Okay. Sorry, Jen. I’m really pissed right now.”

“You have every right to be. I’d kiss it away if I could.”

“See, this is why you should've stayed!” He teased.

She chuckled. “True, but you’d be paying attention to me if I was still there. Reality has to resurface eventually.”

“Touché. “I just wish the fall wasn’t so jarring.” JC rubbed his neck.

“Well, I enjoyed talking with you tonight, if that means anything. It was therapeutic in a way.”

Therapeutic, huh?   I wonder what she means by that. JC half smiled. “It does. Thanks for everything.”

“You’re welcome. Do you feel better now?”

 “Yeah. Can’t you tell?”

“Wanted to make sure. So, talk tomorrow?”

“Wouldn’t miss it for world, baby. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, sweets.”

 

JC shook his head as they hung up. In fifteen minutes I’ve gone from throwing my phone across the room in anger to thinking straight and semi calm. And it’s all due to one person. Her speech had a legato type feel, creating smooth lines that caressed his inflamed senses. Paired with an even mid tone alto, it was the combination JC needed right then.

 

He yawned unexpectedly. Suppose I should take her and Dad’s advice. Emotions had fueled him the past few hours. Now that everyone had retired for the night, he realized how much of his own energy was drained. Today’s been a good day, though. I felt like a normal human being, not a soulless zombie devoured by cancer. The sunlight on my face never seemed more invigorating. Maybe light should peek into my consciousness more often. Slumber found him a few moments later with a smile drawn on his face.

 

Dull, colorless beams peaked through his window the next morning. Oh, is it time to resume regularly scheduled misery again, universe? That yesterday was a brief reprieve and now you’ll throw all you got at me again? He groaned as he buried his face in his pillow. Many mornings before this one had begun with the same conditions. Dark landscapes usually prompted a disgruntled response as JC would roll over and go back to sleep; the world seemed too arduous to bear then.

 

Time to wake up, bro. You had a good day yesterday; maybe today will be another. He glanced at the window out of the corner of his eye. These sheets are so comfortable, though.

Just as he was drifting off, his ringtone startled him back awake. Shit I forgot to put it back on silent last night. You better someone I like or you’ll hear my wrath. He reached over to his night stand grabbed the device. The number began with a 1-800. He immediately clicked ‘ignore’ and sighed loudly. Thanks for the rude awakening. I really appreciate it. Might as well check if my inbox is flooded, too.

 

His inclination was right; countless emails demanded more details about his condition. He deleted every one, his frustration with the situation elevating each time. Damn, I need to do something about this. Let’s go to Twitter.  He opened the app on his phone. One of the first tweets on his timeline said:

 

Please keep @JCChasez and his family in your prayers. Love is what they need, not judgment and speculation #prayers4jc

-Matt Morrison, 7:45 a.m.

 

The edges of his lips turned upward slightly. You’re a true friend, Matt. I really appreciate that.

He hit reply and typed: “thanks buddy. Means a lot coming from you.”

Is that for me, though? Not many other public figures go by their initials like I do.  JC tapped the link. Over 100,000 results, the proceeding page read. His jaw dropped. That many people took time to write something nice to me? I’m not anyone special. He scrolled through the messages. Some were well wishes, some were prayers, and some were their own cancer related stories. The overall theme was the same: he was being supported and thought of. Examples included:

 

-I never was a boyband fan but cancer is no joke! Wish you all the best @JCChasez.

 

-Say it isn’t so! The world would be a duller place without your talents. My prayers are with you and your loved ones during this time #prayers4jc

 

-I lost my brother to childhood cancer. Don’t wish it on anyone. Thinking of you JC! #prayers4jc

 

-That moment when you realize your childhood idol is human and could die #prayers4jc

 

-Please know your fans love you and are here for you JC! #prayers4jc

 

Tears snuck through his eyes after a few moments. I had no idea. All this time complete strangers have been praying for me and believing in me. I’m not worthy of such overwhelming kindness. I wish I could thank them all personally but I’d be here for days. Still, they deserve some kind of response. I don’t want to write just one tweet. That doesn’t begin to address the gratitude I feel right now. Then again I could talk for hours, even days and not do it justice either.  

 

A text tone broke his train of thought. The message was from Jenna:

“Heading to work. Dreading what could happen. Ah well. It’s a new day. Hope you were able to rest last night, sweetie. Talk to you soon <3

8:45 a.m".

I hope that dickbag doesn’t fire her. I’d love to give him a piece of my mind. But the end result wouldn’t produce positive results. Nonetheless, he smiled. Its nice knowing you’re the first person someone thinks of in the morning. I’d forgotten about this feeling.

“Good luck, babe.” He typed. “Let me know how it goes.”

Within 30 seconds, she’d typed a response. “Will do, JC. Have a great day”

“You too, beautiful.”

He set his phone aside. Lord, what is this stupid grin on my face right now?  What is this warm and fuzzy feeling that everyone talks about when you’re in the new phase of a relationship? I must admit, this is a nice change from the overwhelming gloom and doom I’ve experienced recently. Maybe it truly will be okay like Jenna says it will be. Wow, a positive thought. That’s a first. What the hell? I didn’t think I was capable of thinking in those terms anymore. He sighed. You’re sneaking into the depths of my being, Jenna Timbrook. He stretched his arms and legs, awakening the slumbering muscles. For now I need to figure how to go about this response. I’m sure as hell not repeating myself to 20 different reporters who don’t give a shit about me anyway. His phone buzzed. As another one calls right on cue. Sorry, not catering to your selfish agenda.

 

After a brief shower, he decided to write in his studio. He’d done a great deal of writing there in the past. Considering it was in the corner of his basement, it was the most private room in the house. No distractions were allowed while he worked on this; he knew it would be scrupulously critiqued. Therefore it had to be the best he could come up with.

 

My anger has choice words about this situation. Maybe I should write that version first so it’s out of my system before writing the real one. He snorted. Who am I kidding? We all paint pictures of ourselves to look like perfect beings when that’s FAR from the truth. He started typing.

 

“Recent claims have stated…”

God, that sounds so pretentious. He deleted that sentence.

“Erroneous reports that I’m on my deathbed…”

Don’t like that either.

“Sources say…”

The next couple hours consisted of starting and deleting a million statements. Each pompous entry angered him further. “God, what’s the point of this?” He finally shouted. Everything I’m writing is straight up bullshit anyway. No one will believe this. I’ve always said I want to be authentic both as an artist and as a person. And this isn’t it. I guess I could keep ignoring the media’s phone calls. However, some people are nosey ass pricks who won’t leave me alone until they get a heated reaction. That leads to further ridicule.

 

He sat back in his office chair and folded his arms with his hands on his neck. I want to release something, though. Maybe a short video would do the trick. On the other hand, my fans will see me at one the most vulnerable times in my life. That’s scary as hell. He stroked his head. I’ll definitely wear some kind of hat. I’m not ready for those closest to me, let alone strangers on the Internet, see me bald.  Luckily, he’d left one of his LA Dodgers caps behind a few days ago. He put it on and took a deep breath. Just get it over with. People will dissect this no matter what you say. All you can control is how you react to others actions. And publicly dissing Eric and Derek would escalate an already emotional situation. Yeah, the last thing I want to do is air your dirty laundry for the whole world to see. He cleared his throat and turned on the camera.

 

“Hey everyone. Despite what you might have heard, I’m not an inch from death. Those claims are false and being spread by someone who isn’t close to my situation. I had surgery to remove the tumor soon after my diagnosis. I’m currently undergoing chemotherapy once a week to eradicate any remaining cells. My doctor is hopeful that I will fully recover. I can’t predict what I’ll feel on a day to day basis but overall I’d say I’m stable.

I tried to prepare a statement, but it sounded disgustingly fabricated. That’s not my style. This is real life, man. It’s happening all around us every day. Not going to lie, this journey has been hard. I’ve wondered why I should continue. But I do. Sometimes my biggest victory is sitting up in bed despite how the illness had wrecked my body. That’s okay. I’m still breathing. And there are people in my life who make that worthwhile.

“Which brings me to you, the person who’s watching. Thank you for your support. I opened up Twitter this morning….” He shook his head “You guys floored me with all your kind words and prayers. Seriously, I never thought in a million years that so many people still took time to think of me. Some of you shared your stories of both loss and survival. Thank you for sharing those with me. Cancer can be isolating but having support to carry you through the storm is priceless.

“So, in closing, please be kind to one another. You truly never know what others are going through. An uplifting word may be what someone needs. Thank you again so much for your kindness. Sending you love back tenfold and beyond. I love you guys and will keep you updated as often as I can on my condition. Have a great day.” He clicked ‘off’ on the webcam software.

 

He watched the footage back. Not bad. That’s diplomatic without revealing too much information. I sound pretty positive in this clip. Now if only I actually believed that. Although I am surrounded by good people now. Speaking of, I want to show this to Jenna the next time she’s here. I want her approval before I release the video. Hopefully she’ll think it’s an appropriate response.

 

Subsequently, his phone buzzed and displayed Jenna’s name on the screen. His stomach dropped ten stories. He fired her, didn’t he? Oh, God please let that not be the case. Please don’t. I couldn’t live with that kind of guilt.

“Hey Jenna,” he answered.

“Hey. How are you?” She replied curtly.

This isn’t a good sign. “Eh, I’m making it. You?”

She cleared her throat. “I’ve just experienced one of the most humiliating times of my life.”

His heart lurched in his chest. Please oh please let it not be what I think it is. “What happened?”

“He fired me, JC.”

Chapter 25 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Hey all! :) THANK YOU for getting this story past 15,000 reads this week. It means so much to me. It truly does. Thank you for sticking around even with the sporadic updates.

Song lyrics at end of chapter are from "Tomorrow" by Avril Lavinge. Credit belongs to the orginal writers.

Without further ado, enjoy the update and I'll talk to you guys later. 

Chapter 25

 

"He fired me, Jace.” She whimpered.

“He did not. Where are you?”

“I just walked in the door. Why?”

“If you want me to, I’ll come over.”

“Are you sure you feel well enough?”

“Don’t worry about that. If you need me, I’ll be there.”

Jenna didn’t respond. You sounded a little too forward there, Chasez. You shouldn’t force your company on her if she doesn’t want it.

“Please, hurry.” She replied a moment later with a tremor in her voice. “I’ll text you my address.”

She’s letting her guard down. I have to show her I have no intentions of hurting her. “Done. I’ll be over as soon as I can, sweetheart.”

“Fuck,” he growled after hanging up. “Fuck. He actually did it. It’s my fault. This shouldn’t be happening.” Get it together, bro. Jenna needs you. She just said so in not so many words. Now it’s time for you to live up to what you’ve been telling her. He took a deep breath and ran his hands over his bald head. I better get decent and find a way over there. I could drive but I’m not sure my body can handle it today. Dad’s probably here so I’ll ask him.

 

Sure enough, Roy was sitting at his kitchen table when he came upstairs. “Hey.

“Hey. I was hoping you’d be here.”

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“Jenna was fired by her boss.”

Roy frowned. “Such a shame. She shouldn’t have been in that position.”

“She wants me to come over for a little while. Will you take me?”

“Geez, you two aren’t wasting any time, are you?”

JC rolled his eyes. “I’m going over there as moral support, Dad. Nothing else will happen.” And even if it did, it’s none of his business.

“I couldn’t help giving you a hard time. But yes, I’ll be glad to take you over there.”

 

He changed in a black zip up jacket, beanie, jeans and sneakers. It wasn’t much of an improvement, but he felt more slightly more put together in that ensemble. He grabbed his laptop from the studio in case Jenna wanted to see his response to the recent media storm. She had sent him her address.  She lived in Inglewood, about a half hour from his place in Hollywood.

 

Roy dropped JC off midafternoon. He reassured his dad he’d call or text when he was ready to leave. He scanned the complex. Each unit was a split level condo, with a metal staircase on the side leading up to the upstairs number. Jenna’s text said hers was number 237. I seriously hope hers is the bottom one. I’ve already been up and down my stairs several times today. And how embarrassing would that be if I knocked on the wrong door? He wrapped on the door.

 

Jenna answered a minute later. Her blotchy face didn’t have a stitch of makeup and red tinted eyes. Her hair was soaking wet and uncombed. She was dressed in the biggest sweatshirt and pants she could find. This is a drastic change from what I’m used to. She’s usually so poised and put together. I wish I could kiss her pain away.

“Jenna?”

She snorted. “Yeah. Who were you expecting?”

“You look… different. That’s all.”

“Oh, I get it. I’m hideous now that the mask has stripped away.”

Smooth. Real smooth. JC shook his head. “Of course not! You are a beautiful being.”

She stepped aside to let him in. “Then why does it hurt so much when your boss berates you by calling you an ugly slut in front of the whole team?”

Dammit, he pulled a Jenkins on her. His blood boiled like molten lava. “It gives him some kind of sick satisfaction to hurt you.”

Jenna paced over to the couch. “It was like the boardroom all over again, only I was on the receiving end this time.” She flopped down. “I underestimated his ability to humiliate and destroy me.”

JC clenched his fists. What I could do to do him right now. But it’s not worth it. Jenna needs me. He sat down next to her. “What happened, sweetie?”

“Derek came by my desk around 11. I was in the middle of writing my next piece. He put his hands on the table and just glared at me for about thirty seconds. I asked him what he was doing. He’s like “Get up.” I asked why. He leaned closer and says it again. I asked him nicely, albeit with gritted teeth, to get out of my face. He smiled real sinister like “You know I own you, fame whore slut.”

“He doesn’t, Jenna. No one does. Your life, your dreams and your decisions belong to you.”

She nodded. “I know. Next I asked him if he was done insulting me. Boy, was that an understatement. He told me if I wasn’t in the conference room in five minutes he’d have me arrested. Not that I believed him, he’s made countless empty threats before. Still, I got up and went to the meeting room. It was a weird sense of déjà vu as I walked in there. Everyone I considered my work friends were there. They had nothing to do with the issue hand. Only there to add insult to injury. They gave me apologetic look, as if they knew what was about to happen but powerless to stop it. Did you feel that way?”

“Yeah I did. I knew being dropped was inevitable but not in the way it happened. I’d hoped they would tell me in private and then we’d part ways.” He shook his head. “I expected too much.

“This ‘meeting’ didn’t surprise me. It disappoints me more than anything. I should have known better. Anyway, that’s not the story you came here for today."  

“Nah, that’s okay. We can talk about whatever you want.”

“Thank you. So, Derek says I’m undergoing a ‘performance review’ ” She rolled her eyes. “He listed all the deadlines I missed recently. Most of them were on the project he wanted me to write about you. All I could think about was if he had minded his own business, we wouldn’t be having thus conversation. He turned to each of my coworkers and asked what my weakest quality was. Some tried to get out of it, but he threw a hissy fit and threatened their jobs if they didn’t obliterate me in the process. That lead to an onslaught of everything I‘ve done wrong in the past year.

JC’s eyes widened in horror. “I’m so sorry you had to listen to that, honey.”

She cleared her throat. “A girl can only take so much. Finally I told him to cut the bullshit and tell everyone why we were here. A few people gasped; as far as they knew I was mild mannered and well behaved. That comment pissed him off. We started arguing and then he said it. I was fired and was not to come back because I’m a talentless ugly slut who deserved what was happening.”

“That’s not true.”  He stroked her wet hair on her back. She froze at his touch.

“I knew it was a possibility all along. Yet I didn’t believe it. Like I said, he made countless empty threats before. I didn’t think he’d actually do it. Now that he has…” She sniffled as tears filled her eyes. “It hurts. That all I can say. It hurts.”

She’s crying. She’s crying and it’s my fault. JC extended his hand once more. This time she folded her fingers with his similar to the day before.

Her watery stare met his. “You aren’t going to hurt me, right?”

“Of course not, darling. I’m not going anywhere."

Jenna pressed her lips together and closed her eyes for a few seconds. He continued to stroke her hands with his thumbs. “I don’t want to be weak.”

“You’re not, Jenna. You just went through a painful and humiliating experience. “It’s okay. Your tears are safe with me.”

She attempted to stifle a few more sobs before realizing it was futile. She reached for him and he took her in his arms. He kissed her forehead. Damn him for putting her in that position.  Damn him for shattering her self-esteem. Damn me for having feelings for her and mentioning it out loud. Damn me for screwing up her life. It’s my fault.

He returned his gaze to Jenna’s shaking body. She clung to him for dear life, to prevent drowning in her own tears. They had started soaking through his shirt but he didn’t mind. She needed him. And he wasn’t about to let her down.

 

After some time had passed, she lifted her head to face him. “Sorry about that.”

“You don’t need to apologize, Jen. Are you feeling better?”

She nodded. “Thank you. I didn’t realize how much I missed being comforted like this.” She kissed his cheek.

He smiled. “You’re welcome.”

“Could you get me that tissue box over there?” She gestured towards one sitting by her TV stand. I’ll probably be hung over after this one.”

“Why do you say that?” He got up to get the box.

“Haven’t you cried so hard that you didn’t feel anything for hours, even days afterward?”

“I could count them on one hand.”

“Lucky.”

He handed her the tissues. “Here you go, sweetie.”

“Thanks, JC.” She took one and blew her nose. “Isn’t crying so disgusting?”

“Maybe the cleanup. But not the act itself,” he replied.

She noticed his laptop bag leaning against the couch. “What’s that for?”

“Oh, I made a video addressing the rumors. Would you like to see it?”

She nodded as she wiped her eyes. “Sure.”

“Let me get my computer.” He reached for the bag. “I tried to write something but hated everything I came up with. So I decided a video might be more effective.”

“Ah, like one of those PR statements that no one really believes when famous person A and B break up?”

“Exactly. I’m nervous to release this, though. People will see me at the most vulnerable point in my life.”

“That’ll make it more relatable! It gives them a reason to connect and possibly help them with whatever struggle they may have. You can be an inspiration with this message.”

He shook his head again. “You and your unrelenting positivity. Even though you just spent 15 minutes crying, you still look on the bright side. ”

She shrugged. “The universe’s not against you, you know.”

“Yeah. I opened Twitter this morning and couldn’t the sheer amount of kind messages people had written to me.”

“What did they say?”

“Mostly along the lines of ‘thinking of you/praying for you/sending positive vibes. My friend Matt said my family and I need support during this time, not speculation and ridicule.”

Jenna smiled wanly. “Couldn’t agree more.”

 

They watched the footage in silence for the next few moments. JC found himself glimpsing more at her reaction than his own face on the screen. Jenna’s features remained mostly neutral, even though he noticed a slight nod a few times.

 

They faced each other after it finished. JC’s face flushed as he asked, “So, what do you think?”

“I like what you said. Simple, diplomatic and to the point.”

“I do, too. It acknowledges what’s going on but not going into elaborate detail. To tell you the truth, I wanted to publicly call out both Eric and Derek because I’m so angry at both of them.”

“Oh trust me, neither one would respond kindly if you did that.”

He rolled his eyes. “I know. Not to mention my life would be blasted in the headlines like the Kardashians seem to be every week.”

“Why did you want to show this to me?”

“You’re on the other side of media. Say you had to write a story about my response to this message. Would you find what I said useful and easy to quote?”

“Yeah. You didn’t beat around the bush but you didn’t fill space with empty words like a lot of sources do. I’d reach out to you and your management for further comment. If you didn’t respond, I’d cite that and use the material you provided.”

“Not sure I’d answer the call, considering how much I hate entertainment media at the moment.”

“Don’t blame you one bit. I hate it, too. Yet when you do anything to break the status quo, everyone singles you out as if you’re in the wrong.”

“Like what happened to you today.”

Jenna bit her lip and nodded. “Exactly.”

“Sorry, didn’t mean to upset you more.”

She waved her hand. “It’s okay. I’m upset overall.”

“What’s worse is the culture instills the desire to have everything you do be for the cameras. God I can’t stand people who do that. You’re not hot shit, there are more useful human beings than your airheaded self and we get sick of hearing about it.”

“Sounds like somebody is on their soapbox,” Jenna replied.

“So what if I am? I’m tired of being used for someone else’s personal gain. It hurts and angers me to see this happen to someone I care about. It’s completely unfair that you were put in that position in the first place. An honest boss wouldn’t have done that.”

“In case you haven’t noticed, honesty isn’t the dominant trait in today’s world.”

“Fair enough.” He took a deep breath. “You’re a brave soul for sticking to your guns even though it wasn’t what your employer wanted.”

“JC, I couldn’t live with myself knowing that I screwed someone over while they were in the most vulnerable position of their lives. Listen, I’ll be okay. I’ve survived setbacks before.”

He sighed. “I appreciate that. I really do. But…” How do I explain this?

“But what?  Does my pain not mean anything to you?”
“That’s not it, Jenna. Would I be here if I didn’t care? No. In fact, I care so much that it’s making me physically ill that you’re suffering.”

“That doesn’t change A DAMN THING! It happened, okay? And now I have to deal with the consequences. I’m left with the fallout. I have to find another job to pay the bills while I get back on my feet. My confidence is GONE! I was just berated in front of people I trusted! Do you even KNOW what that feels like? How it FEELS to give all you have in something and get FUCKED over in the end?” She threw up her hands in disgust.

“I do, sweetie. It hurts like a mofo.”

Jenna sighed as her legs jiggled up and down. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t be mad at you. I simply need time to process the last… 24 to 48 hours. My life has been turned upside down and I don’t know where to go from here.” She groaned and shook her head. “It’s pointless. I can’t look at you right now without feeling umpteen million different things.”

And it’s my fault. “Anger’s probably the top one.”

“Not quite. But I’d be lying if I denied its existence.”

JC shrugged. “That’s fine. I deserve it. I’ve screwed up everything by pursuing you.”

“No, you don’t!” she scoffed. “It’s not directly your fault, JC. Yet this wouldn’t have happened if we weren’t close like we are now.”

“Do you want me to leave?”

Jenna stood up. “I’ll take you back to your place.”

In other words, yes. He followed her lead. “You sure? I can get a ride.”

“Truly, I don’t mind. You were here for me today when I needed support. It would be rude to not do something in return. You know what? Come here.” She opened her arms.

JC hesitantly started embracing her. However, her intensity was immediate, not allowing any space between them. He settled in, tightening his grip and stroking her back.

“I’m here for you, Jenna. No matter what happens, I’ll support whatever decision you make.” He whispered.

She kissed his cheek. “Thank you. Same applies to you.”

“May I kiss your lips?”

Her eyes brightened as she chuckled. “Of course you may. I’m not planning on breaking up with you over this.”

His cheeks flushed. “Sorry, I…”

She silenced his sentence with a kiss. She’s overcompensating for something. This feels forced whereas last night the kisses came with ease.

 

The ride home was uneventful. It was mostly spent in awkward silence, aside from JC giving Jenna a few directional, cues to get back to his house. He sensed she was starting to keep her distance again. There she goes with the evasive routine. Who knows if she’ll ever show me her vulnerable side ever again.

 

Once they got back, JC opened the garage door to give them privacy away from the paparazzi. She parked next to his Mercedes Benz. “Geez, this is the biggest garage I’ve ever seen in my life.” She murmured.

“I could be one of those show offs with eight cars in one place.”

“You don’t seem like the type who flaunts his wealth.”

“Uh, no. Quite the opposite sometimes, actually.” He paused. “Thanks for taking me back.”

“You’re welcome. Thank you again for coming over. You didn’t have to drop everything like you did.”

“I wanted to. You were upset and needed comfort. It was a no brainer. I’m sorry if I seemed pushy.”

“Pushy is inviting yourself over without any regard for the other person’s feelings. You waited for my approval. Other guys didn’t.” She sighed. “So, do you need help walking to the door?”

“No, but I wouldn’t mind you walking up there with me. Hell, you can come in if you want.”

“I’ll pass this time.” She opened her door.

Okay, time to back off. You’re crossing the line. She wants to be alone after this. I didn’t mean anything by that comment, only that she was welcome to stay a little longer.

She helped him out of her car and they walked to the door holding hands. Then he kissed her again because he couldn’t think of anything else to say. She caressed his cheeks as he rubbed her back. This time more body space existed, one of these polite ‘goodbye’ kisses than a full throttle passionate one.

After they broke away, she stroked his chin. “I’ll see you soon, darling.”

“See you soon. Get ahold of me if you need to, okay?”

“Will do.”

 

Both his parents were waiting in the kitchen once he got home. JC ate a little snack to appease Karen. Then he crashed on the couch. He was emotionally spent and needed to recover. He was woken up several hours later by a coughing fit that lead to mercilessly puking in the bathroom. That would have been a little bit more bearable if Jenna was here. Although I have no clue if she’ll be back after this afternoon.

                                             

Derek is such a piece of shit. I hope to God he never laid a hand on her. Then again he severely damaged her ability to trust her instincts and owning her emotions. She looked terrified of me this afternoon. How I would love to curse him out for hurting her like that. He took a deep breath. Don’t do it. She’s humiliated and vulnerable. The last thing she needs is additional public ridicule a hypothetical scuffle with Derek would cause. No, her needs are more important in this situation.

 

He thought back to their parting kiss. While it was enjoyable, Jenna definitely kept her distance.  I hope this isn’t ending before it started. Whatever you do, don’t push or drive her away. Respect her boundaries like you did today. I hope she’s not building a brick wall too high to climb over. I don’t want to keep running into that façade like before. Well, you have to give her a reason to trust you. While you’ve gained ground, you’ve got a long way to go.

 

I HAVE to do something for her, though. I can’t stand watching her suffer because of me. She’d never accept money outright. Maybe I could pay for something important. Like rent for her apartment. WHAT? Are you fucking crazy? That’s likely in the thousands of dollars, depending on the cost and how much is left on the contract. You don’t want her to get an unrealistic idea that you’ll do this all the time. Jen doesn’t seem like the type of woman who gets fixated on that stuff, though. It would take the world off her shoulders. She could focus solely on finding work she liked and not having to put a roof over her head. Even so, that’s a pretty serious commitment. We’ve only been dating one day… and I did say I want to take things slow. But things were different when I said that. I’ll have to sleep on that one. I’ve done some extremely irrational things in the name of love but that one might be the craziest.

His phone buzzed, thus snapping him out of his thought process. He picked up the device. It was Jenna.

“Sorry if I seemed distant earlier. I don’t know what to feel.”

She doesn’t need to apologize for every move she makes. “It’s okay. I get it. Truly.”

“Want to share this song with you;” she typed back a moment later, “it perfectly encompasses my thought process right now.”

JC clicked on the link she provided, which took him to Youtube. “Tomorrow” by Avril Lavigne, the title read. Wow, I haven’t heard that name in over ten years. He vaguely remembered hearing her songs on the radio when she first came out.

 

And I wanna believe you,
When you tell me that it'll be ok,
Yeah I try to believe you,
Not today, today, today, today, today...

 

The lyrics consistent with her words earlier that afternoon. She wanted to believe things would be okay but hurt didn’t allow it at this time. She needed a little space and maybe her feelings would be different. This reinforces what I was thinking earlier about boundaries. She’s set a clear one and I shouldn’t cross it until we get more comfortable with one another.

“Thank you for sharing that. I got that vibe from you earlier but this confirmed it. Take all the time you need, sweetie.”

 

I really hope it’s not too late, just like the song says. An inkling of doubt still lingered in his mind about their relationship status even though Jenna had been adamant about her certainty. Or was she putting on that mask to hide the truth underneath? Wouldn’t be the first time that’s happened. He groaned, massaging his temples. I’ve gotten myself knee deep in something that could have avoided. If I’m already this far in, I need to stick with it. Whether if she decides to continue or break it off. It’s in her hands now. It has to be that way for this romance to have any chance of surviving this ordeal.

Chapter 26 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:
This chapter was one of those 'hit a wall' types. Nonetheless, it is done and ready for you all to enjoy. I say it every time, but truly: thank you for taking the time to read this. it is my heart and soul.

Chapter 26

 

A bone chilling cold rain beat against the window the following morning. Much like his mood since awakening. The brief reprieve from being a cancer patient was over. The side effects of pressure headaches, churning stomach and nausea, and desert like dryness in his throat returned with a vengeance. Nor did he have the strength to get up and alleviate these ailments. 

 

Based on the results so far, JC doubted the new treatment was helping. Cancer introduced him to a new level of sickness he'd never experienced before nor fathomed could exist. 

However, these were about 10 steps up above that. Infinitely worse than the coughing fits that caused the whole ordeal in the first place! God why did I get involved with this? If I had known it would hurt like this, I would've withered away a long time ago. A tell-tale rumble emerged in his stomach. He barely had time to raise his head before the vomit ejected from his system. 

 

Roy and Karen rushed to his side. Liquid waste poured over his clothes and sheets. His mom got him to puke in a trash can for the remainder of the episode. His father then helped him to the bathroom to get cleaned up. JC was embarrassed his dad had to see him naked but didn't have the energy to care. Just as he was all cleaned up, the sickness started all over again which lead to more clean up. He glanced at his parents anguished faces several times and wished he was dead. That way they wouldn't have to deal with this mess. 

 

Clean sheets awaited him as he got back in bed. He moaned lightly with pleasure. The texture reminded him of Jenna.

“Are you comfortable, sweetheart?” Karen asked.

He nodded.  “Fine. Thanks.”

“You’re welcome. Do you need anything else?”

“Not now.”

“You must be exhausted. Get some sleep.”

He reached for her hand. “Hey. I really mean that. Thank you.”

She smiled through a watery gaze. “Anything to make this easier, Josh.” She kissed his forehead and left the room. I can’t leave yet. I can’t break my mom’s heart.

 

His thoughts returned to Jenna. Now would be the perfect time to have her here. After I've been through a hell hole and all the chaos has settled down. They could simply lie together, basking in the other's presence. But she's not here. She may never be again that to your desperate desire for female attention. She'll come back if she wants to. He closed his eyes and imagined her lying there with him. Maybe the thought's right. Maybe I'm so lonely that I'll accept any attention from a woman.

 

His device buzzed and once again Jenna’s name was on the screen. Didn’t take you long to make a decision, did it? “Hey Jenna.”

“Hey. You want to know something crazy?”

“What?”

“I miss you."

Wow, she really misses me? “What’s crazy about that?”

“You know how in the movies the love interests get into an argument and realize afterward how much they mean to each other? That’s what I feel right now and I didn’t expect it.”

JC chuckled. “Welcome to my life for the last three months! Glad to see you finally got the memo!”

“Oh I got it alright. I just wasn’t as vocal at first. It’s baffling to me that just a short time ago, we were essentially strangers. And now I can barely go a day without wanting to talk to you or be around you."

“Thank you. It’s nice to hear you feel that way.”

“It’s true. I keep thinking about yesterday and the night before last. I felt safe for the first time in years. Your touch has awakened me to something I didn’t realize I had missed.”

JC smiled. “So you’re not still mad at me?”

“Let’s just say I’d rather work through my feelings with you than without you. If you’ll allow it, that is. You have a lot on your plate right now.”

“Of course I will. We’ll comfort each other, okay?”

“Sounds good. I need to get dressed and run some errands. May I swing by your place later this afternoon?”

“Yeah, that should be fine. Just let me know when you’re close by. Looking forward to seeing you.”

“Me too, babe. Talk to you after awhile.”

Babe. What does it feel so good to hear that word coming from her? “See you, love.”

 

JC sighed heavily as they hung up. I have to do this. I have to do this for her because she doesn't deserve to be punished for this. Again, are you out of your fucking mind? It’s kind of a dick move to do this behind her back, you know. But she’d NEVER accept this willingly. She’d vehemently protest and give the check back before I tried to write her one. So maybe this is the best way. JC groaned. God, this is risky. If I go through with this, that’s another level of investment and commitment. And that’s a lot to ask out of someone I’ve only been dating two days. He looked up the development’s phone number, pressed call and waited for the dial tone.

 

"Welcome to Westwood. My name is Greg."

"Hi. Are you the property manager?"

"Indeed I am. How can I help you?"

"My name's JC. I'm Jenna Timbrook's significant other. I'm not sure if you know this or not, but she was fired from her job yesterday."

"She did tell me. It's disappointing but not surprising."

"Why do you say that?"

"This guy used and abused her for almost two years. Any time she tried to stand up for herself, he made her the villain."

JC sighed. "I know the type. Won't accept responsibility for their actions. Blames everyone else for their circumstances."

"Exactly. He realized he couldn't control or manipulate her like he used to. So once he saw you two were friends, he had perfect leverage against her. Of course, this is all speculation at this point."

"From what she's told me, it makes sense. I hate that I had a direct hand in causing this."

"Don't blame yourself. It was his immature decision to interfere in her personal life. Not only that, he blackmailed her with someone she cares about while threatening to take away something she needs."

"That's true. Still, she shouldn’t’ve had to choose."

"Agreed. What he did was callous and disgusting."

"Which brings me to why I'm calling. How long does she have left on her lease?"

"I'll have to check her records. Give me just a second here, sir."

"Sure." Do you really want to go through with this? Once you give out your credit card information there's no going back. You can still back out of this. You're not ready or able to handle this level of commitment.

"Six months." Greg replied a minute later.

"How much per month?"

"$1,350. Although that's a bargain compared to some places."

"I'll pay for it."

"For one month?"

"The whole thing. I want to make sure she has a roof over her head while she looks for a new job." He paused. "Do you take credit cards by phone?"

"Not usually. But considering your circumstances, I can make an exception."

"Wait, how do you know?"

"Jenna hasn't me any specifics: only that you're in cancer treatment. I usually require in person payment, but I realize your energy may not as plentiful.”

"I prefer in person, too, but my body is not having it today. And thank you. I appreciate your kindness."

"You're welcome. The total will be $8,100 without utilities. Do you want to include those as well?"

He chuckled nervously. "No. I don't want to get too carried away here. I have my credit card ready when you are."

JC read the card number twice for confirmation. He also provided Greg with an email to send a receipt of payment to.

"Your payment has been accepted. Now, she only has to pay utilities for the next six months."

"Awesome."

"Does she even know you're doing this?"

"Um, no. It's probably a dick move to do it behind her back. Yet I think I know her well enough that she wouldn't accept the money as a gift."

"You're right. She wouldn't."

"She did say that she's running errands today."

"I'll keep an eye out for her. What if she finds out from me instead of you?"

"I'll figure that out later. I'm doing this because I care and I hope she'll see that."

"She will. Anything else I can do today?"

"No sir. I'm good."

"I wish you the best in your treatment."

"Thank you. You have a great day, okay?"

"You, too. Bye"

 

JC groaned after he hung up. God, what have I done? Why did I just do that? What will she think? I could have just made dumbest mistake of my life. He rubbed his face with his hands. Please don’t hate me, Jenna. I only have your best interests at heart.

 

(Later that afternoon)

 

Karen knocked on his door. “Jenna’s here, Josh.”

He stretched, having just woken up from a nap 15 minutes earlier. “Sweet. Can you tell her to come up here? I can’t make it downstairs today.”

“I’ll let her know.”

He swung his legs over the side of the bed. Nausea returned and he sweated a little faster. This could go two ways: either she’s really angry with me for interfering with her life so early on or profusely grateful for helping her out.

 

Jenna creaked the door open and stuck her head in.

He smiled. "You can come in, babe. I'm decent."

She giggled and opened it further. "You happy to see me, JC?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" He gingerly stood up.
“You don’t have to get up.”

“I want to, though.”

“Oh, Joshua!” She threw her arms around him with such intensity that he had to catch his breath. They stroked each other's back as they held the embrace. Her eyes meet his for a moment before kissing.

They broke away some seconds later, but her gaze still remained. “Thank you. You didn’t need to do that.”

“You’re welcome, sweetie. Guilt has eaten me alive. I wanted to do something that could physically help you.”

“You have already by being here for me.”

"That doesn't change anything, though. I couldn't stand watching you suffer knowing I had a direct hand in causing your pain. While I can't give you your old job back, I can make it easier to find another one."

Jenna chuckled sarcastically. "To be honest, I don't want it back at this point."

"Don't blame you one bit. The sentiment still applies, though."

"Of course it does." She sighed and curled her bottom lip.

"What is it, Jenna?"

"Sorry, trying to sort through my thoughts. Trying to wrap my mind around you and what's happening."

“Talk to me. You said you wanted to work through this with me, not without me.”

“You’re right, I did.” She sighed and looked toward the double French doors to the right. They showcased the balcony and clearing afternoon sky beyond. “Can we sit out there today?”

JC’s legs started to wobble. “Sure. Just make it quick.”

“Are you okay, honey?”

“Yeah. Just getting tired from standing. May I lean on you?”

“Of course.” She put her arm around his waist as his draped around her shoulder.

He steadied himself with Jenna’s weight as support. “Sorry Jen.”

“You, of all people, have nothing to be sorry for.  Can you walk?”

“I think so.” They took a step forward together. “I wish wasn’t so vulnerable right now. I should be strong enough to walk through my own house. But this stronger treatment is harder on my body.”

“It’s okay, JC. You’re fighting a horrible disease. I’m right here. I won’t let you fall down, okay?”

"Thank you.”

 

JC made it to their destination, but his strength was about gone. Jenna helped him get situated in the bench longue. Her focused eyes, arched brows and open lips indicated her sweet concern.  “Can I get you anything?”

“No.” He staggered. “I’m fine.”

“Are you sure? You’re breathing awful hard.”

“Positive.”

“I’ll be right back.” Jenna went back in the house.

Either she’s really worried about me or is putting off talking about what’s bothering her. My guess is a little bit of both. I hate when she does that. He laid his head back on the chair and took a deep breath. Focus. Breathe. You can rest.

 

Jenna returned with two full glasses of ice water a few minutes later. She handed one to him. “Here, you need this.”

JC took a sip. The glacial liquid started to erode away dryness in his throat which caused his breathing to even out. He drank a little more.

“Is that better?”

“Yeah. Thanks.” He looked up at her. She was taking sips of her own with her eyes focused on the empty space beside him. “Aren’t you going to sit with me, honey?”

“Sure.” She parked herself in that space.

JC draped his right arm over her shoulders while gently squeezing her hand with his left. “What’s wrong, Jenna?”

She sighed. “I’m conflicted. I don’t want to come off as an unappreciative brat.”

“You don’t have an ungrateful bone in your body.”

“On one hand, I can see why you did it this way. I wouldn’t have accepted the money as a gift and told you I can handle myself financially. At the same time, I’m concerned about what this means for our relationship. We talked about taking things slow; it’s not going that way.”

“You’re right, we did. I paid your rent because I care. I care how my actions affect your life. You don’t deserve punishment because of one cowardly bastard. So, I reduced one of the stressors you’ll be facing in the coming months.”

 “No, don’t defend yourself. Words can’t begin to measure how thankful I am.”

“Then, what are you worried about?”

I just don’t want these kinds of things to overshadow why we got together in the first place.”

He nodded. “My main priority is to treat you with kindness, respect and honesty. Part of that will include splurges; mine are more lavish because I have the monetary means. However, I’m not going to have energy to take you out shopping and the fancy restaurants in the foreseeable future. I’d like to, but I need to rest as much as I can.”

“That’s fine with me.  I really enjoy hanging out and keeping you company while you recover. Let’s not lose that.”

“We won’t. We’ll continue cuddling on the couch and ponder the meaning of the universe and why we’re all here.”

“Ha! That sounds exactly like something I would say.”

“You hang around someone long enough, they start to influence you.”

“Would you say it’s for better or worse?”

“Definitely better.” He kissed her forehead.

She blushed. “You’re so selfless and that generosity absolutely floors me. I could never repay something like that.”

JC shrugged. “I’m a giver, what can I say? Love’s not about owing. It’s both people giving of themselves to enhance the other person’s life.”

“It’s not a bad thing. I’m amazed how even though you’re in this horrible situation, you care more about how it affects the people around you. Like your parents, your friends, even me.”

“I hate seeing them upset because of me and there’s nothing I can do to make it better.”

“You can by living and fighting back against this entity that has taken over your body”.

“Well, it’s won this this round. I don’t know if I can get back up.”

“You got out of bed today. You could have said, fuck you world, I can’t deal with you. But you didn’t. When was the last time you had a reason to live?”

“To be honest, before this cancer ordeal, I didn’t really have one. I’d get up but hate every minute of my existence. Some days I did say ‘fuck it’ and not do anything because it hurt too much. Seeing your pretty face makes this just a little more bearable.”

She smiled with a flush to her cheeks. “You’re too sweet.”

He grinned and shrugged. “I’m only telling you what I truly feel. You make me want to believe in the good things this world can offer again. I’m not there yet but your pep talks help.”

She arched her eyebrow. “Really? I figured they annoyed you.”

“Maybe a little bit. But they’re sneaking into my brain. Just as you are in my heart.”

“Mine, too. See, we’re right back to normal!”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way, sweetie.”

“Neither would I, babe.” She kissed his lips first. He responded in kind.

"You know what cancer hasn't taken away?"

"What?"

"Your kissing skills."

JC blushed. "How do you know? We didn't kiss back then!"

Jenna giggled. "Hey! I'm trying to give you a compliment."

"I know. Couldn't help throwing a lame joke."

"Good idea. We both could use a reason to laugh."

"Do you like corny and off time jokes?"

"What do you mean?"

"You know something can seem hilarious in the moment but looking back it doesn't have the same appeal?"

"Yeah."

"The NSYNC guys gave me grief about that all the time. I was always the last one to get the punchline or think of something witty to say five minutes later."

"Speaking of, someone I went to school with way back wanted me to set her up with Justin. I made BS excuses but I knew she was using me. I'm like, you haven't had a reason to talk to me for 15 years. Now you want to take advantage of my connections so you can brag to your friends? Give me a break!"

"Have you heard from her since then?"

"No."

JC laughed. "Being a celebrity brings those kinds of people out of the woodwork."

Jenna glanced at their intertwined hands. "Baby, look."

"Why? What's different?"
"Your skin has a bit more color now. When we hugged earlier, you were cold. Now you're warm."
"Really? That's because you're here."
"Oh, I doubt that."
"No, truly.  Time with you makes up for my hellacious morning."
"You weren't feeling well?"
"Understatement of the century.”
She kissed his forehead. "I'm glad it's helping."
"More than you could ever know."

Chapter 27 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

The first three/four paragraphsare not what it seems. Again, it's not what it seems. Possible triggering content.

I hope you all enjoy and thank you for reading! :) 

Chapter 27

 

The elaborately dressed waitress poured extra dark roast coffee into his white cup. "Thanks," he said. "I'll need this.
She fluttered her lustrous lashes and scanned him from head to toe in response.
"What are you looking at? Is there a problem?" He asked.
"Noo...." She purred. "Come by my place tonight, sexy. We'll waste the night the away with fine wine and decadent dessert."
JC watched her leave with his jaw dropped. Women seduced him but this was uncharted.  He skimmed his surroundings. Nearly every patron gawked at him with looks ranging from arousal to disgust. What is everyone looking at me for? Can't a guy enjoy his breakfast in peace? He glanced down at his attire: a birthday suit. Shit, I'm naked. How did I not notice? Then someone pulled out their smart phone. Shit, I need to get out of here. He scrambled to his feet, grabbing his possessions along the way. He covered his genitalia with his laptop and bolted from the establishment.

 

Despite his efforts, the photos went viral within minutes. Relentless harassment ensued. Fame whore! Bastard! Creep! Sleaze ball! Scumbag! Don't you have any decency? You're the reason the world is going to hell!

ENOUGH! I have to find the bastard who caused this in the first place. They are the true scumbag for taking my picture without my consent.

 

The sequence fast forwarded to the confrontation with the individual. He was in his mid forties with an extremely smug look on his face.

"YOU.RUINED.MY.LIFE!" JC roared.

"So? You were naked and asking for the attention."

"YOU.HAD.NO.RIGHT.TO.DO.THAT!"

"What will you do about it, pretty boy? You couldn't tackle a baby if you tried!"

JC pushed him to the ground. "DONT.THINK.I.DON'T.KNOW.HOW.TO.FIGHT."

The enemies wrestled with one another, grunting, kicking and punching with all their might. JC smuggled the man's phone from his pocket. He snapped the device in half. As a result, the concrete faulted and revealed a black abyss below. The man shoved JC to his death. He screamed as the void consumed him.

 

He awoke gasping for air with an accelerated heart rate and rapid sweat. Heavy breathing triggered a coughing fit. Please, body, let me go. I'm suffocating, he pleaded through the pain. Imprisoned air struggled to break free as the tracheal walls converged to contain its victim.

This is a terrible way to die. In the dead of night with no one around. Mom and Dad will find my body by morning.

 

After the chaos died down, he glanced at the time. 3:02. I can't call anyone right now. They deserve every second of contented slumber they can get. I envy them. They aren’t choking on their own breath, expelling their own guts, move about their daily lives while having no fucking idea what it's like to beg for death amidst the agony. I used to take that freedom for granted. At this point, it seems like I’ll never get it back.

 

He sighed, gazing at the empty space beside him. I wish Jenna was here. I could lose myself in her arms. He closed his eyes, imagining her curves wrapped in his sheets while she stroked his hair and whispered, "You're okay. You're safe. I promise". His arms encircled her, holding onto the only steady entity he had left.

Snap out of it! We're supposed to take it slow. I'll ask her to come over early, granted I'm well enough. She can't see how sick I get in the mornings.

"Damn," he grumbled. "Why do I care about how I look to others? I have cancer!"

 

A pattern had developed the past few days: he’d cough and vomit early in the morning, resulting from yesterday’s limited consumption. The symptoms drifted off in the afternoon and early evening. It lulled him in a sense of composure. Those were his most positive times. Maybe, just maybe, this disease could be beaten. Unfortunately, hope was crushed by another episode before bed. Finally he’d go to sleep and repeat the cycle all over again.

Jenna had come over every day, but only in the afternoon. She hadn’t seen the worst of what cancer could do. He wanted to protect her from that reality. Yet he knew if they continued into a serious direction, she would have to witness it.  She’s been supportive so far but what if she turns around when the gore appears? Another treatment was due tomorrow; he wanted her to accompany him.

 

He texted her the next morning, asking if she could stop by earlier than usual. Jenna answered that she would try, but had a few errands to finish first. I need to get up today. I want her to see that I’ve actually done something productive. She wouldn’t judge you if you didn’t. I know, but I need to do this. I need to move around. The distance between his bedroom and the living room would normally take a few minutes. Today, an hour from constant stopping to catch a breath.

 

“Hello?” Jenna’s voice called around 12:30.

“I’m in the living room, babe. Come on in.” He replied, starting to stand up.

Footsteps strode down the hall; she appeared a moment later. JC pulled her close before she said a word. Jenna shifted her weight before embracing him back. He buried his face in her shoulder as her fingers found the base of his neck. I'm safe here. She won't let anything happen. Her steady breath starkly contrasted his staggered one. Within seconds their chests moved as one. I won't let go first; she’s delightful.
Jenna released after a few minutes. "Hey sweetie."
“Hey. Thanks, I needed that."
"You're welcome. Want to talk about it?"
He shook his head.
"Let's get you settled."
"Not without a kiss," he teased.
"You can kiss me on the couch, too"
"Yeah, but why not now?"
She playfully rolled her eyes as they kissed.
"I'll never tire of kissing you," he whispered after.

"I'll hold you to that, Chasez." She kissed him again. "Truly, let's get you back on the couch before you collapse."

"You'll catch me, won't you?" He asked as he sat back down.

"That shouldn't be a question." She joined him and he placed his head on her shoulder. She wrapped her arm around his shoulders and kissed his forehead.

Silence followed. JC basked in Jenna's presence: her strong shoulder to lean on, the honest touch of her arm and the warmth radiating from her aura dissipated his anger momentarily. I'm so glad you're here, love.

"Babe, are you going to release the footage you showed me the other day?"

JC groaned. Do you have to bring this up? I don't owe them shit. "I haven't even been thought about it, Jenna. In case you haven't noticed, my day doesn't have room for other people's nosey ass opinions."

"Maybe they'll leave you alone if you respond."

"Psh, are you kidding? If one news organization gets the juicy details, everyone else will swoop around like vultures trying to steal a lion's kill."

Jenna chuckled. "That’s a brutal but completely accurate comparison. No one wants to get 'scooped'. If you have the story, everyone's calling you for additional information. If your rival does, you're scrambling to put together a respectable story to compete."

"The calls are getting fucking ridiculous, though. I want to break my phone so they can't call me."

"But then you can't contact me."

"True enough."

"Can't you just get a new phone number?"

JC snorted. "Shit, why didn't I think of that? So simple."

"Blame it on the chemo brain."

He smiled slightly. "This is why you're here, Jenna. You make me smile when I don't feel like it. That's not an easy thing to do."

"You've probably heard this countless times but you have a beautiful smile."

"Not from you."

“Honey, the gaunt cancer patient look doesn't suit you."

JC laughed heartily. His left side cramped from the sound. Jenna joined in and they continued on.

“Good god Jenna, that was perfect,” he replied mid-laugh. “So what do you suggest I wear instead?”

“Anything not involving satin and frosted tips.”

“I said that in an interview once. How did you know?”

“I may or may not have watched a few on YouTube recently.”

“Huh, so you’re buying into the hype too, eh?”

“No. This is real life. We’re two imperfect people who decided life is worth experience with a companion. We laugh, we cry, we comfort each other.  A much needed laugh, I may add.”

“Glad I can bring a smile to your gorgeous face.”

Jenna blushed. “Sorry I blush so much. I’m not used to so many compliments.”

“Expect them daily, ideally multiple times. You deserve to feel valued. Anyone who has told you otherwise is a liar.”

“Derek, we’re looking at you,” she muttered.

“Exactly. But he’s gone now. I’ll heal the wounds he’s inflicted on your heart.” He kissed her forehead.

She smiled. “You’ve already started.
If I’m going to publish this, I rather release it with her here. “The footage is on my laptop, which I left in the studio downstairs. We can hang out more there.”

"You feel well enough? I can get it and bring it up here if you want.”

He shrugged. "Worse comes to worse, I'll sleep down on the couch tonight. Thanks, but I can handle it. Moving from room to room gives me a sense of normalcy. I'm not a prisoner in my own home.”

She sat up. "Then let's go."

"Hey! What's the hurry? We don't have to go right this second, darling. Don't be afraid to simply enjoy being with me. Just because we're dating doesn't mean we can't hang out without expectations."

Jenna settled back in. "Like I did the first night. It was nice to hold you close and forget everything else." She cleared her throat. "I'm afraid to be completely vulnerable. My career is in shambles. Everything else might as well go wrong, too."

JC sighed. "It's not in shambles. You were in the wrong place with the wrong supervisor.

Anything worth having comes with risks. You can't predict the outcome.  Last I checked, we both wanted to take that risk."

"I'm human, okay? I have emotions. Don't act like you weren't you weren't scared to let me in, too."

"Of course I was! But you've dismantled them. I know you're serious about your feelings. Nonetheless, I wish you wouldn't get in your own way."

"I'm sorry, JC. You're so genuine and sweet yet I keep shutting you out. You deserve better."

"I like who I have.  However, it's frustrating when you go from laughing with me over a sarcastic joke to practically jumping from my arms without warning. Did I do something wrong?"

"No, it's not you. Fear is my automatic reaction after the past few years. Logically, I know you won't intentionally hurt me. It's the matter of convincing my heart."

"What does letting fear win accomplish, though? You might miss out on the best experiences of your life. Then you're stuck with miserable regret that it didn't turn out." Or in my case, without my life's purpose.

Jenna shook her head. "Wow, we've only been dating a week and you're speaking my language already."

"And this is a bad thing because?"

"I didn't say it was! It's surprising how quickly we've rubbed off on each other."

"Watch out, we'll be finishing each other's sentences before too long."

"Oh, how sickeningly cute would that be?"

"Where did the wittiness come from? You are full of them today!"

"The snark has been known to show up at times. My dad and my brother have similar senses of humor. You have to appreciate sarcasm and deadpan while dating me."

"Noted, smart one."

"I'm sweet, too, I promise!"

He brushed her hair away from her face. "I know. You'll find I'm not saccharine sweet either. I'm not the guy who tells you he loves you every five seconds. I rather show you by spending time with you and do thoughtful things. Not that I won't say it, but I think actions speak louder."

"Like the old adage: actions speak louder than words."

"Yours have sent me a clear message."

"Wait. You’ve changed your mind.”

"I didn’t know about Derek and your true feelings then. I appreciate you protecting me and us."

"Work should be separated from personal life when possible. Doesn't happen all the time since one can seep into the other. I hate how invasive celebrity culture is. It should be common sense not to spread lies about someone, celebrity or not. Then factor in personal attachments, conflict was inevitable."

"You're private, like me. When you value something you protect it at all costs."

"Right. This moment belongs to us. No one else."

JC raised his eyebrow. "You getting all cliché on me, Jenna?"

"I'm not immune to sap, JC. I say what I feel. If I'm in a sentimental mood, you'll know."

"Have you thought about being a motivational speaker? You're so articulate and relatable."

Jenna frowned. "I doubt I'd be good at it. You're one person. Hundreds or thousands of eyeballs watching me is a different story."

"Well, let's go downstairs. The record needs set straight."

"Okay. Do you need me to help you?"

"Hold my hand and walk beside me."

"I'll be glad to, babe." She stood up; he joined a moment later.

They laced hands and JC kissed hers.

"And you say you're not sweet." Jenna replied with a wry smile.

He shrugged. "I have my moments."

 

Going from that couch to the studio took a half hour, due to JC tiring out so quickly. Jenna patiently waited each time, never rushed him to go faster than he was able. Once arrived, JC got another media phone call. You got to be fucking kidding me. I have to change this now or I’ll go insane. He asked Jenna if he could use her phone. She agreed. Ten minutes later, the number was changed. “Thanks, sweetie. I’ll deal with telling people my new number later.”

“Aren’t you going to tell me?” She joshed.

“Of course, you’re right here. I mean everyone else except you and my parents.”

“Oooh, I must be in some elite club then.”

“Maybe.” He booted up his laptop.

Jenna surveyed her surroundings again. "Did we ever chill out here before?”
She likes to do that when we’re in here. "You mean when we first knew each other?"
She nodded.
"No. I wasn't living here then. This studio is my sanctuary. I can experiment and make music without fear of being destroyed."
"So I'm one of the special ones, huh?"
He smirked. "You could say that."

“You know what else you shouldn’t have had to feel?”

“What?”

“That you’re second best. Especially since they thought you were a threat to your friend’s career. You’re two different artists with your own skill sets.”

JC rasberried his lips. Here we go again. He and Jenna had discussed this in the latter half of Kate’s development. He deflected her concern then and would do the same now. He couldn’t let on how much that situation hurt him. What are you trying to do, Jenna? Get me to unearth something I buried a long time ago? Not happening. “Tell that to Jenkins and company. They had their favorites; it wasn't me. Maybe if I had tried with a different record label, the opposite would've happened. What’s the point in wondering, though? It’s ancient history.”

“Nostalgia hit me last night, so I watched a few of your interviews. Both in person and on camera I noticed a gradual downturn in your demeanor.”

“No shit, Sherlock. You know how grueling it is dealing with incessant criticism privately. Now imagine having to pretend everything’s wonderful and promote a project you’re convinced won't reach your fans. It’s glorious.”

“Knowing what they were doing beforehand made it unbearable. I desperately wanted to stop the humiliation you were about to experience. Then again, an attempt would have cost my job in the process.” She cleared her throat. “Seeing you now has brought back all the contempt I had for the executives. How can they sleep at night? How can they live with the fact that they extinguished such a beautiful, charismatic and charming fire like yours? It breaks my heart, quite frankly.”
JC sighed. "Mine, too. News flash: I'm not that guy anymore. And if you think he's coming back, leave." Fuck, what am I saying? Now I've scared her away.
"Don't get me wrong, I accept you as you are now. I was just sharing what I thought."
He turned towards her. "Sorry, Jen. I'm really pissed off at the world. That was unnecessary."
She shrugged. "It's fine. You've had a rough few days."
"I didn't mean to take it out on you, though. I'm sorry, babe."
She kissed his cheek. "I understand. This conversation is entering treacherous waters, anyway"

“I have enough to deal with today. Don't need to bring the skeletons out of the closet, too." The computer screen came upon the upload page of YouTube. "Now, what to call this response? I don't want something blatantly obvious. I could simply put "NO, I'M NOT DEAD" in capital letters."

 I know this song called "Mouth Shut" by the Veronicas. The girl talks about how she suppressed what she really felt about a failing relationship. At the end, she says, 'I won't keep my mouth shut anymore'."

"I like it. I kept my mouth shut about a lot of things and here I can sound off. Diplomatically of course."

"You ready to upload?"

He shrugged. "Ready as I'll ever be. I wish I felt as positive as I sound."

"You ever heard the phrase 'fake it till you make it'?"

"Yeah.”

“Keep telling yourself positive mantras and one day you’ll buy into it, too.”

JC clicked the upload button. "You make it sound so easy, Jen. We'll see how the public buys this."

Chapter 28 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Real life got in the way this time around. A major medical issue was discovered in July. It was corrected with surgery a week and a half ago. Estimated recovery time is 3 months.

Thank you all so much for your patience and still coming back to read despite the sporadic updating. I appreciate you all. Truly. I hope you all enjoy this update :) -K 

Chapter 28


WRETCH. Another rush of vomit gushed into the toilet. ”God,” JC whispered. “Please stop.” And just like that, another bout arrived. Nausea violently awoke him shortly before six. He’d remained in this position for the last hour. The waste his body produced far exceeded the intake. So why did he find himself throwing up here day and night?


His parents were supposed to be here any minute to take him to treatment. No symptoms (aside from fatigue) were present the previous night. JC felt almost normal. Human, even. Those moments were few and far between these days. Still, he slept on the couch in the studio like before; Song ideas used to badger him out of bed in the middle of the night.  He would come here and play around until the thought either ignited or fizzled out. Alas, his humanity had fled once again.


A message came through on his phone:


“We’re outside. The door’s locked.” –Mom, 3 minutes ago.


Oh shit! I hope they haven’t been out there long. “Just a sec. I’ll get it. A little sick this a.m.”

Understatement of the year there, buddy. He opened his house security app and unlocked the front door. “Come in. I’m downstairs, next to my studio."

His parents helped him from the floor a few minutes later. They moved him to the studio couch. Karen went upstairs to get a clean outfit.

“Why were you down here?” Roy asked.

JC shrugged. “Jenna and I hung out yesterday and I didn’t have the energy to go back upstairs.”

“You let her in the studio, didn’t you?” His dad teased.

“Yes, I invited her. Why such a big deal?”

“You’ve been fiercely protective of that space in the past.”

“I needed to upload a video response to the rumors.”

“You don’t owe anyone anything.” Roy spat. “Now they’ll hound you further.”
“Not when I’ve changed my phone number.” JC sighed. “Dad, I can only take so much poking and prodding. I’d rather respond on my own terms. Not when some douchebag is antagonizing me for five blocks.”

“I hate seeing people bully you. You’re in the most vulnerable position of your life and you’re getting ambushed everywhere you go.”

JC rolled his eyes. Don’t keep questioning my motives! You’re not the one living in the depths of hell every day. “It’s not the first time and it won’t be the last. I’m used to it now.”

“That’s not right!”

“So what?” The patient snapped. “Everything’s wrong in my life, okay? Would it kill anyone to recognize that?”

“No…”

“Save the sunshine and ponies bullshit for later, Dad. I’m not in the mood.”

Awkward silence followed.

Finally, JC sighed. “Look, just get me to the car so I can get to the treatment and go back to bed.”

Roy opened his mouth to argue but thought better. “Alright.” He said dejectedly. “You ready?”

“Yeah.”

Unfortunately, as the trio was heading out the door, JC threw up again in the front hall. That leaded to a mad scramble to clean up the mess and get him a second clean outfit to wear. JC didn’t care about that, as the vomit only splattered on his clothes. But his mother wouldnt have that. He gave up arguing. The ride over was filled with pin drop silence.


Roy drove into the parking lot twenty minutes later. “Do you need me to park by the entrance?”

“Yeah.” JC spotted three slimy individuals with Canons in their hands by the hospital’s sign. All three appeared middle age and unkempt. They scanned the passing traffic waiting for someone.

“There he is!” One of them exclaimed.

You’ve got to be kidding me. Dad was right. Not only are the paparazzi waiting at Hell’s front gates, they’re certified stalkers who finagled the information in the first place. JC snarled.

“What’s wrong, honey?”

“See those guys we just passed? They KNEW I would be here this morning.”

“How?”

“I don’t know.” He sent them. Who else would know?

Roy stopped the car. “I told you so. The bear claws will come out if they harass you in any shape or form. Do you want a wheelchair?”

Trust me, Dad, they will. Especially if they associate with two certain bastards. “Yeah.”

“I’ll get one. You and Karen stay here.” Roy slammed the door.

Damn, why is he so angry today? JC watched the group barreling up the sidewalk. They chattered amongst themselves while pointing the camera lens in his direction. How I’d love to punch your gonads. But that’s what they want: a heated reaction to make money and generate website hits. Fuck off, conscience!

All three stopped a few feet from the vehicle. JC rolled down the window. Don’t do it! Don’t do it, Chasez! “What do you want?”

“Get evidence of your dying ass!” The middle one with greasy black hair replied.

“I’m not dying.” He coughed.

“Could have fooled me.” The first one spat. “Your heifer of a girlfriend wouldn’t do this so we’re finishing her job.”

“Yeah, where is she anyway?” The last one jeered. “Couldn’t handle the heat?”

How do you know about Jenna? How dare you berate her like that? Rage tightened his throat; another fit followed.  He turned away to cough in his shirt.

Karen flung the door open. “Listen, gentlemen. You have to leave. Right now.”

“Why should we? It’s a free country.” Black hair sneered.

“It may be. But you can’t be here taunting my son. He’s under an insurmountable amount of stress and your presence is aggravating it.” His mother scrunched up her features. “If you take one step closer, I’ll call the police and your asses will be sorry you ever showed up.”

Oh shit! You tell them, Mom. JC cleared his throat as his dad arrived with a wheelchair. Roy glared at his son’s aggressors. “What do you think you’re doing here?”

“Gerald Antler, freelance photographer. Pleased to meet you, Mr. Chasez.” Black hair extended his hand for a shake.

“We’re here for the money shot!” The first one exclaimed.

Roy stood his ground. “You won’t get your ‘money shot’ because JC will stay in the car until you leave. Stick around long enough, law enforcement will show up and you’ll be in a deep shithole. So, if I were you, I would run like hell before I’m caught.”

A hospital security cruiser rounded the corner, which caused all three bullies to flee the scene.

Roy smiled smugly. “Those cowardly bastards. Cower at any sight of a threat. How sad.”

“We need to let Joshua out, honey.” Karen reminded her husband.

“Just a second, Karen. The coast has to be clear.”

They won’t return any time soon with security on their tail. Don’t be so damn protective. “This isn’t a prison, Dad. You can’t hold me hostage forever.”

“Point well taken.” Roy opened the door.


Jenna was waiting in the lobby. Tension overwhelmed her features: eyes darting around the room searching for him, lips tightened in a frown and violently shaking legs. She heaved a sigh of relief once she saw them. “Oh, thank god. I was really starting to worry. It’s half past eight.”

Don’t remind me. If you knew what has happened, you’d be late, too. “Sorry. Standoff in the parking lot with the paparazzi."

Jenna's jaw dropped as she gasped. "Tell me you're joking."

"I wish we were." Roy replied. "If you’ll excuse me, I’ll have a word with security.”

JC scoffed as his dad walked away. "It's not too fucking much to ask that my cancer treatment is private! Creepy ass pricks harassing me at the hospital isn’t normal! How would you feel if that happened to you?"

"I'd want them out of my face as soon as possible," Karen said.

"My point stands. It's unacceptable." He groaned. "Look, just take me back there before I go batshit crazy."

Jenna and Karen exchanged glances with one another. The younger woman rose up and stood beside JC. They don't fucking get it. How would they like some random jackass harassing you while you're in the worst pain of your life? He clenched his hands, one into a fist and the other around Jenna's.

Her lower lip quivered. “You're in a wheelchair."

Do you have to start the weepy crap already? "It's a necessary evil. My strength is nonexistent this morning."

She kissed his forehead. "You need me to push you?"

“No."

"Ok, darling." She gripped his hand. "You can handle this; it'll be fine."

I don't care. It fucking hurts. “No, it’s not fine. Today is a walk in hell. I’m sick of people invalidating my anger. I don’t want to hear to hear it.”

His girlfriend pressed her lips together again.

I'm not dealing with this shit.


The trio was escorted to the treat room by an unfilmilar nurse. Karen attempted pleasantries that didn't get far from her son's attitude.

"Why are you so grouchy, Joshua?" His mother asked. "You could have tried being nicer to that girl."

Why is everyone trying to start something today? BACK OFF! "I'm pissed, okay? I don't owe kindness to anyone. It shouldn't be this hard to get out of bed every day. When I do muster enough energy, it's hell on earth. I can't walk around my own house, I expel my guts hourly and my lungs are holding me hostage. Shoot me now, why don't you?"

Wendy arrived on cue, saving the others from formulating a response. "Hey JC. How are you?"

"Abysmal. Not my day."

"What's wrong?"

"Just get this over with as soon as humanly possible."

"The day from Hell, huh?"

He nodded.

"Photographers waited for him outside this morning. We don't know how long they had been there. Do you have any idea how they could have gotten this information?" Karen asked.

Wendy grimaced. "All patients are protected under HIPAA. Someone must’ve disclosed details that should be under lock and key.”

"Someone who bribed them with money." JC grumbled and turned to Jenna. "I think Derek planned this.”

“Why?”

“One called you a derogatory female term and said they’d finish your job. How else would anyone know about your termination?”

She clenched her teeth. “He has connections in the industry and can schmooze with the best. It wouldn’t surprise me.” She snapped her finger. “What if Derek got ahold of Eric somehow, who gave me him the information from the hospital, and then passed on to the press.”

“Oh God, now you’re talking conspiracy level theories, babe.”

She shrugged. “Who’s to say it’s not true? They hate our respective guts and want to get revenge by making our lives miserable.”

“Who are you talking about?” Wendy asked.

“Eric is my ex-manager. We aren’t on speaking terms.”

“And Derek is my ex-boss who fired me a week or so ago because I refused to write a fabricated story about JC’s condition.”

“What scoundrels for hurting two kind individuals such as yourselves. We’ll launch an internal investigation to see if your information was breached.”

“Please do.”

“Of course. I’ll contact the appropriate departments. You have a same right to privacy afforded to all patients.”

“His dad went to talk to security already. He hasn’t been back yet.” Karen added.

“Good, they’re probably working on one already.”

“Is moving him to another hospital possible?”

“Dr. Franklin and I will work out the logistics, Mrs. Chasez. Don’t worry; your son is in good hands. We’ll do our best to eliminate the extraneous stuff so you can focus on supporting him.”

“Thank you,” JC whispered.

“You’re welcome. It’s my duty to protect my patients at all costs.” She glanced at the couple’s intertwined hands.  “At least love has a chance to blossom.”

JC’s smile peeked through. “Yeah, we’re dating now. She’s the only reason my head is on straight.”

Jenna blushed. “You’re giving me too much credit.”

Wendy attached the needle vial to the medicine cord. "Then don't mind what I'm doing. Bask in the beauty of the woman sitting beside you."

Jenna grinned playfully. “I got an idea.”
“What, Jenna?”

“Shh, trust me. You won’t even notice the needle.” She stroked his cheek with her thumb.

He closed his eyes in preparation. She kissed him with the lightest of touches. He leaned into her, desiring more. A faint pinch occurred in the background. How does she give such adoring affection after I bit her head off earlier? I don't deserve this.

They broke away. “You didn’t have to stop,” he whispered.

“Babe, we’re in mixed company at the moment."

“You’re right. I forgot.”

“Hey, I’ll give you space.” Karen chimed in. “Your dad isn’t back and I haven’t had breakfast yet. Couple time can be arranged.”

“Don’t get too raunchy on us, though.” Wendy remarked.

Jenna snickered. “Oh, how romantic. A date in a hospital treatment room. The perfect environment.”

“You knew what you signed up for, Jen,” he teased.

“Apparently I signed a long term contract, huh?”

“We both did.” He kissed her cheek.

“I think that’s our cue to leave, Wendy.” Karen said.

“Definitely.” The nurse replied. “You know what to do if you need anything, JC.”  

“Thank you, Wendy. You’re the best. “

“Anything I can do to make this process more bearable, sweetie. We’ll see you in a little bit.”


“You really think Derek sent those photogs?" Jenna asked once their privacy had been granted.

“I don’t see who else could have, Jenna. It’s all too convenient. You defied his orders, so he had to punish you in some way.”

Jenna bit her lip. “Usually it manifested in verbal lashings against my character, my work, my looks… anything he could think of. Shit, JC. It’s my fault.”

“No, it isn’t, babe. Why do you say that?”

“As you can imagine, we had several arguments about you. He must have figured out that you meant something to me personally.  Burn me if you must but…” She turned away. “This is unbearable.  My selfish actions are fucking up so many lives.”

“Stop that.” He cupped her cheek. “Selfish would have been stealing what I’ve shared with you so far, publishing it with no remorse whatever, all while pretending nothing's wrong and lying to my face. You risked your career even though you knew the repercussions.”

“I was stupid for writing him off. You wouldn’t be harassed like this otherwise.”

“Somebody would have dug up the dirt on me eventually. Don’t drag yourself through the mud.”

“Easier said than done, JC. Especially once you've trained your mind in that fashion."

"Maybe that can be reversed."

Jenna snorted. "Good luck trying."

"You're slowly converting me. Why not yourself?"

She crossed her arms. "It's different. Not that easy."

She's closing off. Don't push further. “Will you come back with me?”

“Sure. If you want me to.

“Of course. But if you have other stuff…”

She kissed him. “My morning is booked. With you. Can I take you back?"

"No offense, baby,  but that clunker of a car is a doozy. As soon as the anti nausea medicine wears off, I'll throw up. And I rather not do it on the side of the road."

She nodded. "Can't say I blame you there.  I want to buy something nicer but then consecutive financial events happened, preventing me from doing so."

The disappointment on her face tugged his heart strings. I really want to get her a new one so she doesn't have to worry. Maybe her birthday, if that hasn't happened yet. "When's your birthday?"

"October 27th."

"Maybe someone can help you out with that goal."

Jenna gasped. "You wouldn't!"

"Oh, I would. You watch me."

"I'll believe it when I see it."

"Fair enough, darling. See you back at the house?"

"Loser has to cook breakfast."

“Damn, I better get going, then.”  JC replied. “Cooking isn’t my forte.”


His prediction came true. Merely minutes after returning, he hunched over yet another toilet throwing up even more waste. Jenna rushed to his side, whispering sweet platitudes in his ears and rubbing his back.

Finally, the sickness reached a standstill. "Sorry you had to see that."

Jenna scoffed. "What are you apologizing for? This is part of the package."

"It's not glamorous."

"Real life isn't, JC. Sometimes you fight in the trenches in some form. What do you want to do?"

"Lay on the couch."

"You need help getting up?"

He nodded.

"Give me your hands."

They joined hands and stood up together. JC buried his head in her shoulder. You don't know how your arms are saving me right now.

She tenderly kissed his cheek.

They held each other for a moment and then continued to the living room couch.


”Bet you didn’t think today would be like this.” He whispered after they had setlled down.

Jenna shook her head. “No.”

"I'm sorry for being an asshole today."

"It's fine."

“It was unfairly directed at you. Thank you for seeing through it.”

She smiled. "You can be angry. People do despicable things. Life doesn’t always make sense.”

“You know what does?”

“What?”

“How I feel about you. And how your presence comforts me.” He squeezed her hand.

“Aww. Come here, babe.”

“Even with my vomit infused breath?”

Jenna answered by kissing him anyway. “You haven’t scared me off yet, Chasez.”

“Good to know. May I put my head on your lap?”

“Sure.”

JC laid down, coughing again as he did so. Not this shit again.

“Shh, take a breath sweetheart.”

Jenna stroked his head as the fit continued. His eyes watered considerably; leakage escaped down his cheeks after the flow flooded his tear ducts. At least if I suffocate or drown, Jenna’s by my side so I’ll go in peace. She wiped the wetness away with her fingers.

Finally, the episode subsided. He peered up at his girlfriend. “God, that’s brutal.”

“Relentless. It breaks my heart to watch.”

“One down, however many more to go.”

“Wow! A statement that wasn’t 100 percent negative.”

He shrugged. “I’m hanging around you, what can I say?”

She smiled. “I like this new development.”

“Don’t press your luck; it may not last long.”

“Not on my watch, mister! You’ll be obnoxiously positive and happy when I get through with you!”

He chuckled. “Good luck with that.”

“I’m not really that pushy, I promise.”

“I could hear the sarcasm, baby.”

“Why do you wear these?” Jenna asked and she continued stroking him.

Do you have telepathic powers, woman? How did you know I was thinking about this? “Honestly, protection. Not physically, per se. I had my head shaved at the first sign of hair loss. I couldn’t bear seeing my humanity dwindle in front of my eyes. When I look in the mirror, I see a haggard, beaten, defeated cancer patient. It’s one more reminder my body isn’t mine anymore.”

She nodded. “Do you wear one all the time?”

“Pretty much. Remembering to put one on when others are around is annoying, but I don’t want anyone to see me looking like an undead corpse.”

“You wouldn’t, sweetie. Lots of people have bald heads.”

“But it’s their choice, whether for looks or maintenance. It’s sickening to watch your own deterioration. So I hastened the process to save myself the pain.”

“Understandable. Did anyone go with you for moral support?”

“Lance and Matt Morrison. It was late at night so we wouldn’t attract attention. That’s one of the few times I’ve seen Lance teary eyed.”

“You guys have been friends for years. It must have been hard to accept your friend is sick even after witnessing in person.”

“How do you know these things?”

“What things?”

“You describe why people feel a certain way so easily.”

“Feelings are my expertise. Lord knows I have a lifetime of experience myself. I’m an intuitive person.”

“And you’ve used that gift well. Thank you for today.”  He laced her hand with his and kissed it.

“You’re welcome. You'll be okay, I promise. Today's only one day."

JC nodded. "I need sleep."

"Feel free to use my fatty thighs as a pillow."

He scowled. "Don't say that about yourself. It's not true."

"Trust me, it is."

"No, it's not..." He drifted away


---



Chapter 29 by acciolovesong
Author's Notes:

Long time, no talk all. I'm sorry this took so long. Real life happened. I worked on this when I could but it didn't come together unil the last few days. I orignally had a different ending for this chapter but I like this better. Hope you all do too. :)

 

Chapter 29

“Hey JC, this is Murray from TMZ. Listen, I’d like a few comments from you about the recent stories circulating around. It must be overwhelming I’d greatly appreciate it if you could return my call. Thanks. Bye.”

JC dropped his phone on the couch. You’ve GOT to be kidding me. Ever since he changed his phone number a few days ago, the calls from news outlets had ceased. He hadn’t left the house and avoided social media at all costs. He’d said his piece. Now it was open to the public’s interpretation. Even though his health didn't drastically improve, the break energized him. No intruding entities to avoid, no smarmy photographers getting in his face, no bosses with impossible expectations.

God, do I have to change my identity and move out of the country to get some privacy around here? If it was a regular person, they could sue for harassment. But no, people would say I asked for it. Right. Like I willingly asked for my private phone number to be stolen or sold. How did they get this?  I set it up under a pseudonym, too. Unbelievable. Does TMZ have CIA hackers track down celebrity phone numbers for extra profit? I wouldn’t rule out anything at this point.

Well. Since they seem so eager to seek out my opinion, maybe I should look at theirs. He opened the Youtube app on his phone and found the upload.  5 million views and 4 thousand comments. Damn. So much for fading into oblivion. That many people were interested in what I had to say?  It uploaded Sunday and it’s now Tuesday evening

I guess it beats the alternative. 13 years ago I couldn’t walk out of my hotel without getting mobbed. I don’t miss that aspect of fame. Social media has created a monster between thirst for fame and public’s sense of entitlement to other people’s lives. No, that combination has evolved into an abominable beast in its own right. The first comment had over 500 ‘dislikes’ listed .

No one cares, you faggot. Go die and burn in hell like the headlines said.

Well, fuck you too. You didn’t have to click on this video, let alone watch and comment. He groaned and shook his head as his neck tensed up. Why do people go out of their way to say rude shit to people they don’t know? They’re cowards who hide behind the Internet’s virtual wall.  JC rarely Googled himself for this reason. Remind me again why this was a good idea? He noticed 1289 comments under the offender. Can’t be any worse than this first one. I'll look at a few more.

How dare you be so rude? If you don't care, don't click. Not that hard. #prayers4JC

--
Completely unnecessary, dude. Have a little compassion in your heart, will you? Prayers for a continued recovery, JC #prayers4JC
--r32;
Fuck yourself, OP. He’s fighting cancer just like any other human. How would you feel if someone said that about your loved one? Not so kindly? Then shut your mouth!

JC, I apologize for this sad excuse of a human being. Thank you for being honest. I cried when I found out, not only because I’m a huge fan of your voice, but my grandpa died of the same thing about a year ago. The tumor kept growing despite aggressive treatment. He couldn’t talk at the end, which was heartbreaking. I pray you have a much better outcome than he did. #prayers4JC

No need to apologize. It’s not your fault an anonymous moron has no sense of decency. I’m sorry to hear of his fate. That must have been gut-wrenching for her and her family to witness. Wow, my condition could be so much worse. The tumor didn’t exponentially grow since the last treatment. I’m still here with those I love. We can still talk, laugh, cry, argue and experience life together. A privilege not everyone has. Death is inevitable but I’d like to postpone its arrival as long as possible. Thanks for the perspective check. He clicked ‘reply’ on her comment.

“Hey, thanks for the love. I’m sorry to hear about your grandpa. Being physically present but unable to communicate is painful for both patient and family. Sending the positive energy back to you and yours. Try to focus on the good times with him, okay?”

See, for every disrespectful comment, there’s 1000 more in your defense. Most people have decent morals and wouldn’t harass random people on the street or steal identifying information for their personal gain. One even lost her job for you. Please, don’t start with the guilt trip. A knock came from the front door. There she is. Hopefully she can dissipate my anger like before.

He opened the door for her a moment later. She immediately reached out to stroke his cheek, which evoked a wan smile from him. “Hey."
“Hi babe. What’s wrong?”
“Can we kiss first? Please?”
“Okay.” Their lips met at the same time as he wrapped his arm around her hips. Her hands found the sore side of his neck and started to massage it. The pain lessened. How does she know I needed her touch there? She’s so intuitive. They broke away briefly before she kissed his top lip and the skin up to the bottom of his nose. He cradled her bottom lip between his momentarily.
Finally they separated. “That better?” She asked.
He nodded. “Kissing you won’t ever get old.”r32;

She flushed. “Same here.”
"Some people's audacity infuriates me, though."
"Why?"
"A nasty comment left on my response video that doesn’t need repeated.”
"That bad, huh? Do I need to curse someone out?”
“No, baby. The comments section has already done that for us."
Jenna chuckled. "Well, tell them thank you. Were there any positive comments?”
“The overwhelming majority, actually. The mind can get fixated on one lone negative voice even within the chorus of positives. One girl told me her grandpa died of vocal cancer. He couldn’t talk in the end because the tumor crushed his cords.”
“What a horrible quality of life he must’ve had. Did you reply?”
“I thanked her for her kind words and said to focus on the good times with him. Those memories matter the most in the end.”
Jenna pressed her lips together. “True story. You never know when you might lose someone. My mom had a cancer scare when I was a teenager.”
She’s told me that before. “What happened, if you don’t mind me asking?”
“Doctors found a strange mass in her right breast during a routine mammogram. Further testing proved inconclusive. They said she had two options: aggressive chemotherapy to annihilate any malicious cells from the inside or exploratory surgery even though there was no guarantee of complete removal.”
“They wanted her to undergo treatment even though the diagnosis wasn’t definite?”
She nodded. “Yep.  She chose surgery because she didn’t like the possibility of damaging her body more than necessary. Luckily, it was successful with minimal damage. The biopsy came back benign.”
“Did they remove everything? How is she now?”
“Yes and perfectly healthy. Some disfiguration remains but invisible to the naked eye.”
“Which no one except your dad should notice anyway,” JC quipped.
Jenna laughed. “Exactly.  Every day I’m grateful she’s still here. God took care of us in those six months. I wouldn’t relive that era for millions.”
“Don’t blame you there. Why didn’t she get a second opinion?”
“I never asked, honestly. This was about 15 years ago when millions of pages didn’t appear at your fingertips in a nanosecond. Finding another doctor would’ve been another huge hassle. She’d have to undergo another round of testing for the new doctor. If the tumor was malignant, that would’ve given it an opportunity to grow and metastasize into another area of her body.”
“I admire her faith. She went down the uncertain path, convinced she would be taken care of along the way.”
“She had doubt, too. Every human does. The trick is not letting it control the outcome.”
Then I totally fucked up my life if that’s the case. “Easier said than done, Jenna.”
“Right. In the end, we’re responsible for our reaction to life circumstances. Mom chose to hope, to look beyond the pain toward recovery.”
There she goes on her philosophical tangent again. Not in the mood today. JC didn’t respond.
“Where’s the closest bathroom, honey?”
Damn, how did she catch on so fast? “Um, right over there.” He motioned to the door a few feet away
Jenna jokingly slapped her forehead. “Sorry. I’m blind. I’ve been here enough times, should know that by now, huh?”
“No worries. Just don’t go puking all over the floor on me,” he teased.
“Heaven forbid I ruin your prized marble walkways. Whole house looks straight out of MTV’s Cribs.”
“One, you haven’t seen every room. Two, this is a bad thing because…?”
“I didn’t say it was, smart one!”
“Like you have room to talk!”
She playfully rolled her eyes. “I’ll meet you on the couch.”
“This is what you signed up for, babe!” He called to her retreating back. She stifled a cross between a snort and laugh in response. She’s something else, I tell you. Wouldn’t have it any other way, though.

His ringtone sounded from the living room. Oh, I left it in there. I wonder who's calling. He proceeded to that location. The number was unfamiliar but he decided to answer anyway.
“This is JC.”
“Hey, it’s Wendy. New developments have surfaced.”
Oh, didn’t expect your voice. "Oh, hi. What's up?"
"I just finished a meeting with IT and security about your case. Long story short: your data was severely compromised."
Why does that NOT surprise me? Wonderful, another plot twist. His jaw tightened. "Great."
"We searched up and down the system for any signs of virtual hacking. Nothing. All inbound and outbound calls from hospital are recorded. So, IT pulled every existing interaction on your record. One caller was named Derek Unger. Name sound familiar?"
"Fuck," JC growled as his jugular vein throbbed in his neck. “That’s Jenna’s ex-boss we were talking about at the last treatment.”
"I thought so. Well, he initially called to ask your diagnosis and didn't present any identifying information. Our representative advised your record and privacy is protected by law. Mr. Unger threatened her with bodily harm then said he had your social security number. He said he would pay her thousands of dollars if she would provide the information he wanted and not tell anyone their conversation existed."
Really, dickhead?  On a recorded line? He’s either dense as hell or one entitled mother fucker. Or a little of both. "What did she tell him?"
"The hospital name and the time of your next treatment, which was yesterday. We reviewed security footage. They arrived twenty minutes before you did. "
You’re fucking kidding, right? “Wait. You have this on tape?”
“We do.”
JC slammed his fist on the side table. “That’s FUCKING ludicrous! Their job is keeping everyone who enters and leaves their property be safe. Why didn’t security send them away before I arrived?”
“In hindsight, action should’ve been taken much earlier. I can only apologize on their behalf and provide phone numbers to people who can address your complaints more directly than I can.”
He rolled his eyes. Such a bullshit answer. "Anything else happen?"
"They discussed money distribution details. The employee has been terminated effective immediately and is expelled from the USC medical system. No chance of rehire at any main or subsidiary campus."
Yeah, she just ruined her career. Good luck getting hired anywhere else. "Alarm bells should've gone off in her head. Any decent person would’ve suspected the authenticity of his intentions.”
“You’d think so, honey. Sadly, not in this case. I don’t know how he obtained it."
"Fuck. Fuck. FUCK!” He spat. “Sorry Wendy, I'm not cursing at you. Shit, you can’t trust anyone as a celebrity."
"Vent as much as you need to, dear. This situation is incredibly upsetting."
"What happens now?"
"Dr. Franklin and I are working on hospital transfer details. Do you have any preferences?"
"Somewhere within an hour, not as well-known where the staff actually gives a shit about their patient's privacy."
"Okay. I'm sorry you're going through this, JC. I wish I could help you more."
“It’s not your fault,” he replied curtly. “You're doing what you can. Thanks for keeping me updated."
"You're welcome. We'll stay in touch. As for Derek, you’ll have to consult a lawyer."
"Not now. Anger is clouding my objectivity."
"Understood. That decision shouldn’t be taken lightly."
"Right. I'll talk to you soon, okay?"
"Okay. You have a good evening."
"Thanks. Bye."
He placed his elbows on his lap and hands behind his neck. This can’t be happening right now. My life has turned into the worst soap opera in history. Script writers couldn’t have planned this any better. “God, what do I do now?”  He murmured.
In the meantime, Jenna had returned to his side and started rubbing his back. “What happened, babe?”
"Your prediction came true."
Her eyes narrowed. "What are you talking about?”
"Yesterday you said Derek might try to get private information from Eric so he could access my medical record.  Well, Eric gave him my social security number. The hospital then disclosed my treatment time and location to Derek."
Jenna gasped. "Holy shit. You’re lying."
JC snorted and glared sideways at her. “Would I dream up this shit for fun?”
“Dammit, my anxious imagination was running wild. Never did I expect…”
“Well, for once it was right.” JC replied sarcastically.
“I’m so sorry to hear that. Did the person did get in trouble?”
“Oh yeah, they’re never working in the medical field again. Wendy said she and Dr. Franklin are still figuring out where to send me. I told her somewhere that gives a shit about their patient’s privacy.”
Jenna’s breathing hardened as she looked away and started pressing her right wrist into the couch arm rest.
“What are you doing?”
“Nothing. I’m fine.”
“Bullshit,” he grabbed her shaking hands. “It’s okay. You can be real with me. No secrets here, remember?”’
She nodded, attempting to steady her breathing as pools of sweat emerged on her face. “You don’t deserve this, JC. You shouldn’t have to worry about this.”
“Yeah, but life doesn’t give a shit about deserving a lot of the time, babe. We’ll get through, okay?”
"It's all my fault. You wouldn't be in this situation if I wasn't in the picture. You're better off without me."
"Look at me, Jenna." JC requested gently.
She met his glance while he continued to massage her hands.
"Listen, that entity in your head is lying to you. You protected me in the best way you could. This is happening because Derek is a slithery scumbag who can't keep his nose to himself."
Jenna heaved a sigh as tears emerged. "I should go.”
“No, it’s not safe. You’re not well.”
“You can’t see me like this.”
He cupped her cheek with his hand and wiped away the single stream with his thumb. “Guess what? I already have and don’t think any less of you.”
"I'm sorry.”
“What do you have to be sorry for?”
“Not being strong. Your private record was hacked into. I should be comforting you.”
"I won't take my anger out on you. It's not your fault." He kissed her forehead.  “Four bedrooms are available upstairs. You’re welcome to stay in any of those if you’d like.”
"You wouldn't mind?"
"I'd sleep better tonight knowing you're not out driving in such a fragile state."
She nodded. "I am kind of tired. If you truly don't mind, I'll stay."
"At least one has a bathroom attached. You can still maintain boundaries and privacy. We don't have to sleep in the same bed yet. We're still really early in our relationship."
"Thank you. I appreciate how respectful you are of my feelings." She kissed his cheek.
He shrugged. "I don't believe in pressuring or manipulating my significant other into getting what I want."
"It's a bit jarring after experiencing so much male emotional abuse. A refreshing change, yes, but takes some getting used to."
He brushed her hair away from her face. "You'll never experience that again as long as I am alive."
She bit her lip. "Which might not be for much longer."
"Hey. I don't plan on going anywhere any time soon. Not when you're teaching me to see the good in life again."
More water flowed down Jenna's cheeks. "Oh God now I'm crying harder, Chasez."
"Come here, babe." He opened his arms and Jenna buried her face into his shoulder. Damn you, Derek. Damn you for ruining her self worth and trust in the male species. Damn you for firing a perfectly capable writer because she refused to participate in your twisted plot. You'll pay for this. You'll pay for everything.

About a hour later, the couple headed upstairs. Jenna watched JC's balance to make sure he didn't fall due to fatigue. He teased her that maybe she could carry him instead of vice versa. She rolled her eyes and told him to keep walking. At the top of the staircase, they pulled each other close and stood there in silence wordlessly for a moment.
"Thank you for taking care of me tonight, JC." Jenna whispered.
"You're welcome, babe. There's two guest rooms to your left and another past my room on the right. Take your pick."
"Which one has a bathroom attached?"
"This one right here," JC motioned to the room on their immediate left. It contained a queen sized bed and a few minimalist dresser pieces. The accompanying bathroom door opened to the right.
Her eyes widened. "Damn, baby. I stand by the Cribs comment I said earlier."
"Do you like it?"
"Yeah, it'll be fine."
"Let me know if you need anything, Jen. Goodnight."
"Goodnight, honey." The earnestness of her last kiss showed she really appreciated his efforts. Their lips lingered for a few seconds longer than usual. One day she'll be in my room and it won't only contain kissing. But not tonight.

Why, heart, why? He asked himself as he closed the door. Why did you fall for this problematic woman? It’s her fault. If we hadn’t reconnected at that party, this wouldn’t be happening right now. I shouldn’t have approached her. He took a deep breath. No, that’s not fair to her. She didn’t ask Derek to come after you and wreak havoc upon your life. He acted on his own accord. Am I not allowed to be angry about this? Here I go again getting into arguments with myself.


He clenched his first. No, I won’t let this slide. I’ll sue both his and Erik’s asses in court and ruin both of their careers. You don’t steal a social security number and get away with it. The hospital, too. You don’t willingly give out my private information like that. They didn’t ensure my protection that day. I’ll make them suffer. Take my case to the Supreme Court if I have to. I’m done being the doormat. I’m fighting back.



End Notes:

Chapter 29

“Hey JC, this is Murray from TMZ. Listen, I’d like a few comments from you about the recent stories circulating around. It must be overwhelming I’d greatly appreciate it if you could return my call. Thanks. Bye.

JC dropped his phone on the couch. You’ve GOT to be kidding me. Ever since he changed his phone number a few days ago, the calls from news outlets had ceased. He hadn’t left the house and avoided social media at all costs. He’d said his piece. Now it was open to the public’s interpretation. Even though his health didn't drastically improve, the break energized him. No intruding entities to avoid, no smarmy photographers getting in his face, no bosses with impossible expectations.

God, do I have to change my identity and move out of the country to get some privacy around here? If it was a regular person, they could sue for harassment. But no, people would say I asked for it. Right. Like I willingly asked for my private phone number to be stolen or sold. How did they get this?  I set it up under a pseudonym, too. Unbelievable. Does TMZ have CIA hackers track down celebrity phone numbers for extra profit? I wouldn’t rule out anything at this point.

Well. Since they seem so eager to seek out my opinion, maybe I should look at theirs. He opened the Youtube app on his phone and found the upload.  5 million views and 4 thousand comments. Damn. So much for fading into oblivion. That many people were interested in what I had to say?  It uploaded Sunday and it’s now Tuesday evening

I guess it beats the alternative. 13 years ago I couldn’t walk out of my hotel without getting mobbed. I don’t miss that aspect of fame. Social media has created a monster between thirst for fame and public’s sense of entitlement to other people’s lives. No, that combination has evolved into an abominable beast in its own right. The first comment had over 500 ‘dislikes’ listed .

No one cares, you faggot. Go die and burn in hell like the headlines said.

Well, fuck you too. You didn’t have to click on this video, let alone watch and comment. He groaned and shook his head as his neck tensed up. Why do people go out of their way to say rude shit to people they don’t know? They’re cowards who hide behind the Internet’s virtual wall.
 JC rarely Googled himself for this reason. Remind me again why this was a good idea? He noticed 1289 comments under the offender. Can’t be any worse than this first one. I'll look at a few more.

How dare you be so rude? If you don't care, don't click. Not that hard. #prayers4JC

--
Completely unnecessary, dude. Have a little compassion in your heart, will you? Prayers for a continued recovery, JC #prayers4JC
--r32;
Fuck yourself, OP. He’s fighting cancer just like any other human. How would you feel if someone said that about your loved one? Not so kindly? Then shut your mouth!

JC, I apologize for this sad excuse of a human being. Thank you for being honest. I cried when I found out, not only because I’m a huge fan of your voice, but my grandpa died of the same thing about a year ago. The tumor kept growing despite aggressive treatment. He couldn’t talk at the end, which was heartbreaking. I pray you have a much better outcome than he did. #prayers4JC

No need to apologize. It’s not your fault an anonymous moron has no sense of decency. I’m sorry to hear of his fate. That must have been gut-wrenching for her and her family to witness. Wow, my condition could be so much worse. The tumor didn’t exponentially grow since the last treatment. I’m still here with those I love. We can still talk, laugh, cry, argue and experience life together. A privilege not everyone has. Death is inevitable but I’d like to postpone its arrival as long as possible. Thanks for the perspective check. He clicked ‘reply’ on her comment.

“Hey, thanks for the love. I’m sorry to hear about your grandpa. Being physically present but unable to communicate is painful for both patient and family. Sending the positive energy back to you and yours. Try to focus on the good times with him, okay?”

See, for every disrespectful comment, there’s 1000 more in your defense. Most people have decent morals and wouldn’t harass random people on the street or steal identifying information for their personal gain. One even lost her job for you. Please, don’t start with the guilt trip. A knock came from the front door. There she is. Hopefully she can dissipate my anger like before.

He opened the door for her a moment later. She immediately reached out to stroke his cheek, which evoked a wan smile from him. “Hey."
“Hi babe. What’s wrong?”
“Can we kiss first? Please?”
“Okay.” Their lips met at the same time as he wrapped his arm around her hips. Her hands found the sore side of his neck and started to massage it. The pain lessened. How does she know I needed her touch there? She’s so intuitive. They broke away briefly before she kissed his top lip and the skin up to the bottom of his nose. He cradled her bottom lip between his momentarily.
Finally they separated. “That better?” She asked.
He nodded. “Kissing you won’t ever get old.”r32;

She flushed. “Same here.”
"Some people's audacity infuriates me, though."
"Why?"
"A nasty comment left on my response video that doesn’t need repeated.”
"That bad, huh? Do I need to curse someone out?”
“No, baby. The comments section has already done that for us."
Jenna chuckled. "Well, tell them thank you. Were there any positive comments?”
“The overwhelming majority, actually. The mind can get fixated on one lone negative voice even within the chorus of positives. One girl told me her grandpa died of vocal cancer. He couldn’t talk in the end because the tumor crushed his cords.”
“What a horrible quality of life he must’ve had. Did you reply?”
“I thanked her for her kind words and said to focus on the good times with him. Those memories matter the most in the end.”
Jenna pressed her lips together. “True story. You never know when you might lose someone. My mom had a cancer scare when I was a teenager.”
She’s told me that before. “What happened, if you don’t mind me asking?”
“Doctors found a strange mass in her right breast during a routine mammogram. Further testing proved inconclusive. They said she had two options: aggressive chemotherapy to annihilate any malicious cells from the inside or exploratory surgery even though there was no guarantee of complete removal.”
“They wanted her to undergo treatment even though the diagnosis wasn’t definite?”
She nodded. “Yep.  She chose surgery because she didn’t like the possibility of damaging her body more than necessary. Luckily, it was successful with minimal damage. The biopsy came back benign.”
“Did they remove everything? How is she now?”
“Yes and perfectly healthy. Some disfiguration remains but invisible to the naked eye.”
“Which no one except your dad should notice anyway,” JC quipped.
Jenna laughed. “Exactly.  Every day I’m grateful she’s still here. God took care of us in those six months. I wouldn’t relive that era for millions.”
“Don’t blame you there. Why didn’t she get a second opinion?”
“I never asked, honestly. This was about 15 years ago when millions of pages didn’t appear at your fingertips in a nanosecond. Finding another doctor would’ve been another huge hassle. She’d have to undergo another round of testing for the new doctor. If the tumor was malignant, that would’ve given it an opportunity to grow and metastasize into another area of her body.”
“I admire her faith. She went down the uncertain path, convinced she would be taken care of along the way.”
“She had doubt, too. Every human does. The trick is not letting it control the outcome.”
Then I totally fucked up my life if that’s the case. “Easier said than done, Jenna.”
“Right. In the end, we’re responsible for our reaction to life circumstances. Mom chose to hope, to look beyond the pain toward recovery.”
There she goes on her philosophical tangent again. Not in the mood today. JC didn’t respond.
“Where’s the closest bathroom, honey?”
Damn, how did she catch on so fast? “Um, right over there.” He motioned to the door a few feet away
Jenna jokingly slapped her forehead. “Sorry. I’m blind. I’ve been here enough times, should know that by now, huh?”
“No worries. Just don’t go puking all over the floor on me,” he teased.
“Heaven forbid I ruin your prized marble walkways. Whole house looks straight out of MTV’s Cribs.”
“One, you haven’t seen every room. Two, this is a bad thing because…?”
“I didn’t say it was, smart one!”
“Like you have room to talk!”
She playfully rolled her eyes. “I’ll meet you on the couch.”
“This is what you signed up for, babe!” He called to her retreating back. She stifled a cross between a snort and laugh in response. She’s something else, I tell you. Wouldn’t have it any other way, though.

His ringtone sounded from the living room. Oh, I left it in there. I wonder who's calling. He proceeded to that location. The number was unfamiliar but he decided to answer anyway.
“This is JC.”
“Hey, it’s Wendy. New developments have surfaced.”
Oh, didn’t expect your voice. "Oh, hi. What's up?"
"I just finished a meeting with IT and security about your case. Long story short: your data was severely compromised."
Why does that NOT surprise me? Wonderful, another plot twist. His jaw tightened. "Great."
"We searched up and down the system for any signs of virtual hacking. Nothing. All inbound and outbound calls from hospital are recorded. So, IT pulled every existing interaction on your record. One caller was named Derek Unger. Name sound familiar?"
"Fuck," JC growled as his jugular vein throbbed in his neck. “That’s Jenna’s ex-boss we were talking about at the last treatment.”
"I thought so. Well, he initially called to ask your diagnosis and didn't present any identifying information. Our representative advised your record and privacy is protected by law. Mr. Unger threatened her with bodily harm then said he had your social security number. He said he would pay her thousands of dollars if she would provide the information he wanted and not tell anyone their conversation existed."
Really, dickhead?  On a recorded line? He’s either dense as hell or one entitled mother fucker. Or a little of both. "What did she tell him?"
"The hospital name and the time of your next treatment, which was yesterday. We reviewed security footage. They arrived twenty minutes before you did. "
You’re fucking kidding, right? “Wait. You have this on tape?”
“We do.”
JC slammed his fist on the side table. “That’s FUCKING ludicrous! Their job is keeping everyone who enters and leaves their property be safe. Why didn’t security send them away before I arrived?”
“In hindsight, action should’ve been taken much earlier. I can only apologize on their behalf and provide phone numbers to people who can address your complaints more directly than I can.”
He rolled his eyes. Such a bullshit answer. "Anything else happen?"
"They discussed money distribution details. The employee has been terminated effective immediately and is expelled from the USC medical system. No chance of rehire at any main or subsidiary campus."
Yeah, she just ruined her career. Good luck getting hired anywhere else. "Alarm bells should've gone off in her head. Any decent person would’ve suspected the authenticity of his intentions.”
“You’d think so, honey. Sadly, not in this case. I don’t know how he obtained it."
"Fuck. Fuck. FUCK!” He spat. “Sorry Wendy, I'm not cursing at you. Shit, you can’t trust anyone as a celebrity."
"Vent as much as you need to, dear. This situation is incredibly upsetting."
"What happens now?"
"Dr. Franklin and I are working on hospital transfer details. Do you have any preferences?"
"Somewhere within an hour, not as well-known where the staff actually gives a shit about their patient's privacy."
"Okay. I'm sorry you're going through this, JC. I wish I could help you more."
“It’s not your fault,” he replied curtly. “You're doing what you can. Thanks for keeping me updated."
"You're welcome. We'll stay in touch. As for Derek, you’ll have to consult a lawyer."
"Not now. Anger is clouding my objectivity."
"Understood. That decision shouldn’t be taken lightly."
"Right. I'll talk to you soon, okay?"
"Okay. You have a good evening."
"Thanks. Bye."
He placed his elbows on his lap and hands behind his neck. This can’t be happening right now. My life has turned into the worst soap opera in history. Script writers couldn’t have planned this any better. “God, what do I do now?”  He murmured.
In the meantime, Jenna had returned to his side and started rubbing his back. “What happened, babe?”
"Your prediction came true."
Her eyes narrowed. "What are you talking about?”
"Yesterday you said Derek might try to get private information from Eric so he could access my medical record.  Well, Eric gave him my social security number. The hospital then disclosed my treatment time and location to Derek."
Jenna gasped. "Holy shit. You’re lying."
JC snorted and glared sideways at her. “Would I dream up this shit for fun?”
“Dammit, my anxious imagination was running wild. Never did I expect…”
“Well, for once it was right.” JC replied sarcastically.
“I’m so sorry to hear that. Did the person did get in trouble?”
“Oh yeah, they’re never working in the medical field again. Wendy said she and Dr. Franklin are still figuring out where to send me. I told her somewhere that gives a shit about their patient’s privacy.”
Jenna’s breathing hardened as she looked away and started pressing her right wrist into the couch arm rest.
“What are you doing?”
“Nothing. I’m fine.”
“Bullshit,” he grabbed her shaking hands. “It’s okay. You can be real with me. No secrets here, remember?”’
She nodded, attempting to steady her breathing as pools of sweat emerged on her face. “You don’t deserve this, JC. You shouldn’t have to worry about this.”
“Yeah, but life doesn’t give a shit about deserving a lot of the time, babe. We’ll get through, okay?”
"It's all my fault. You wouldn't be in this situation if I wasn't in the picture. You're better off without me."
"Look at me, Jenna." JC requested gently.
She met his glance while he continued to massage her hands.
"Listen, that entity in your head is lying to you. You protected me in the best way you could. This is happening because Derek is a slithery scumbag who can't keep his nose to himself."
Jenna heaved a sigh as tears emerged. "I should go.”
“No, it’s not safe. You’re not well.”
“You can’t see me like this.”
He cupped her cheek with his hand and wiped away the single stream with his thumb. “Guess what? I already have and don’t think any less of you.”
"I'm sorry.”
“What do you have to be sorry for?”
“Not being strong. Your private record was hacked into. I should be comforting you.”
"I won't take my anger out on you. It's not your fault." He kissed her forehead.  “Four bedrooms are available upstairs. You’re welcome to stay in any of those if you’d like.”
"You wouldn't mind?"
"I'd sleep better tonight knowing you're not out driving in such a fragile state."
She nodded. "I am kind of tired. If you truly don't mind, I'll stay."
"At least one has a bathroom attached. You can still maintain boundaries and privacy. We don't have to sleep in the same bed yet. We're still really early in our relationship."
"Thank you. I appreciate how respectful you are of my feelings." She kissed his cheek.
He shrugged. "I don't believe in pressuring or manipulating my significant other into getting what I want."
"It's a bit jarring after experiencing so much male emotional abuse. A refreshing change, yes, but takes some getting used to."
He brushed her hair away from her face. "You'll never experience that again as long as I am alive."
She bit her lip. "Which might not be for much longer."
"Hey. I don't plan on going anywhere any time soon. Not when you're teaching me to see the good in life again."
More water flowed down Jenna's cheeks. "Oh God now I'm crying harder, Chasez."
"Come here, babe." He opened his arms and Jenna buried her face into his shoulder. Damn you, Derek. Damn you for ruining her self worth and trust in the male species. Damn you for firing a perfectly capable writer because she refused to participate in your twisted plot. You'll pay for this. You'll pay for everything.

About a hour later, the couple headed upstairs. Jenna watched JC's balance to make sure he didn't fall due to fatigue. He teased her that maybe she could carry him instead of vice versa. She rolled her eyes and told him to keep walking. At the top of the staircase, they pulled each other close and stood there in silence wordlessly for a moment.
"Thank you for taking care of me tonight, JC." Jenna whispered.
"You're welcome, babe. There's two guest rooms to your left and another past my room on the right. Take your pick."
"Which one has a bathroom attached?"
"This one right here," JC motioned to the room on their immediate left. It contained a queen sized bed and a few minimalist dresser pieces. The accompanying bathroom door opened to the right.
Her eyes widened. "Damn, baby. I stand by the Cribs comment I said earlier."
"Do you like it?"
"Yeah, it'll be fine."
"Let me know if you need anything, Jen. Goodnight."
"Goodnight, honey." The earnestness of her last kiss showed she really appreciated his efforts. Their lips lingered for a few seconds longer than usual. One day she'll be in my room and it won't only contain kissing. But not tonight.

Why, heart, why? He asked himself as he closed the door. Why did you fall for this problematic woman? It’s her fault. If we hadn’t reconnected at that party, this wouldn’t be happening right now. I shouldn’t have approached her. He took a deep breath. No, that’s not fair to her. She didn’t ask Derek to come after you and wreak havoc upon your life. He acted on his own accord. Am I not allowed to be angry about this? Here I go again getting into arguments with myself.


He clenched his first. No, I won’t let this slide. I’ll sue both his and Erik’s asses in court and ruin both of their careers. You don’t steal a social security number and get away with it. The hospital, too. You don’t willingly give out my private information like that. They didn’t ensure my protection that day. I’ll make them suffer. Take my case to the Supreme Court if I have to. I’m done being the doormat. I’m fighting back.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2441