House of Cards by AceofSpades
Summary:

Discontinued! Being re-written. The new story is called "Ace of Spades"

 

Part 2 of the "Deck of Cards" series. Sequel to Card Castle.

Lance Bass: Southern, compassionate, and fun loving fifth member of the ever popular boy band *NSYNC. Recovering from the surprising, sudden, and public court case win against the group’s creator, it looks like the boy band has everything going for them. With a new manager, new music, a new live band member in the form of his old friend, and new lives free from the master puppet Lou Pearlman, the only way they can go is up. With his puppet strings clipped, Lance takes the time to learn about himself, and learn what it means to be a friend with no strings holding him back. Except for maybe one.

Annaleigh ‘Ace’ Carr: Smart, feisty, witty, sometimes scatterbrained, perfectionist; all the things that make up a hard working bass player. It was all the attributes that caught the attention of *NSYNC with the intention of hiring her as the new bass player for their live band. The last thing she was expecting was to reunite with her “estranged” friend, Lance Bass. They haven’t spoken since he left Mississippi to join the band and was caught up in the whirlwind of fame and fortune as it took him all over the world. But she is (reluctantly) willing to rebuild their friendship for this opportunity. She’s used to being in the background, following in Lance’s footsteps, but with her job on the line, she has to learn how to put herself in the forefront and deal with secrets that will shake her foundation to the core

 


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Group, Lance Bass
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, Celebrity/Celebrity, Drama, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: Deck of Cards
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 78869 Read: 72997 Published: Sep 15, 2013 Updated: Jul 23, 2014
Story Notes:

Discontinued! Being re-written. The new story is called "Ace of Spades"
 

Part 2 in the "Deck of Cards" series. Sequel to Card Castle.


Disclaimer: I don't own *NSYNC or their friends, family, or other celebrities mentioned in this fic and/or the other fics and I write in the future. I only own Alan, Jasmine, any other OC, and Annaleigh and her family and her plotline.

1. Prologue: In Fate's Hands by AceofSpades

2. See You Again by AceofSpades

3. Have a Blue Christmas by AceofSpades

4. All I Want For Christmas Is You by AceofSpades

5. We Wish You A Marry Christmas (Part I) by AceofSpades

6. We Wish You a Merry Christmas (Part II) by AceofSpades

7. We Wish You a Merry Christmas (Part III) by AceofSpades

8. Sure Feels Right by AceofSpades

9. Muster Up Every Ounce of Confidence by AceofSpades

10. Be Prepared by AceofSpades

11. Here We Go by AceofSpades

12. What Was That? by AceofSpades

13. Life in the Fast Lane by AceofSpades

14. The AMAs by AceofSpades

15. Calm Before the Storm by AceofSpades

16. Southern Hell-spitality (Part I) by AceofSpades

Prologue: In Fate's Hands by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Prologue. After the trial.

November 1999

Washington, DC

 

Lance Bass stepped out of the court room in a haze; a smile plastered to his ace. He could hear his band mates, his friends, his brothers milling around him talking excitedly, but it was like he was underwater. Everything sound muffled, but his body was so energized. They had won. They had actually won!

Lance let out a groan of pain when a pair of arms suddenly wrapped around him, pulling him into something warm. His arms were pinned to his sides and he was lifted into the air. All the air was pushed out of his lungs as he was squeezed in a tight hug.

“Too tight, Joe, too tight,” Lance groaned.

He gasped in a breath of air when he was dropped and he nearly collapsed to the ground as his knees buckled.  But, he caught himself and got to his feet, straightening his tie to turn around and see Chris Kirkpatrick staring at him, his eyes narrowed, arms crossed over his chest.

“You thought I was Joey?” Chris asked, his eyebrows shooting up in mock annoyance.

Lance rolled his eyes. “I couldn’t breathe, it was getting too dark,” he said, going along with the joke. “I saw the light, man, I’m sorry.”

Chris grinned, shaking his head before shoving his shoulder. “Don’t worry about it, I just can’t believe this…this actually worked,” he said before shaking his head back and forth. “I don’t know…after a while, I was beginning to think we were crazy to do this. To go against Lou.”

“If it wasn’t for Lou, we wouldn’t be in this mess,” Lance pointed out to him, his smile fading slightly

Loud Pearlman. “Papa Lou.” The “sixth member” of *NSYNC. He was the one that, with Chris, put them all together and created their platform. Their popularity, their success, their albums, their schedules, their vocal coaches and choreographers, everything was because of him. Regardless of how much money *NSYNC had made, he got more of it, leaving them with way less money then they imagined they’d received after all their hard work touring and promoting overseas and in the United States.

He didn’t see it that way.

Lance remembered the feeling of betrayal just the year before when he ripped up his check of how much money he was supposedly owed. He hadn’t regretted that moment; it was a clear slap in the face. He had worked so hard, even harder than the other boys sometimes on his dancing, and came so far just to have someone he trusted pull the rug out from underneath him, sending him in a free fall.

If it wasn’t  for JC backing him up, and his dad having connections with lawyers, he didn’t know what would happen with the band. But, they had God on their side. He couldn’t deny that he had something to do with it. He had prayed and prayed day and night for things to go his way even when he had doubts; even when he thought all hope was lost.

They were *NSYNC; brothers for life. No one else would understand what they had been through and what they were going through now. Lance knew that as long as they were with him and had his back, then he knew that they would be ok.

“I can’t believe it,” Justin Timberlake said quietly. Lance looked over at him and saw that he was sitting on a bench outside the courtroom, his head on his mom’s shoulder as she ran her fingers through his curly hair. “I can’t believe we won.”

“I can’t believe Lou did this to us in the first place,” JC Chasez said as he loosened the tie around his neck. He was staring at the ground, but as he looked up at each of the boys, a smile came to his face. “But, we won. We were all in sync with each other, like always, and it paid off.”

“What’s done is done, man,” Joey Fatone said, clapping JC on the shoulder with one hand before grasping his friends shoulders with both hands, shaking him. “Can’t wait to get back on the road and finish this tour. I’m so pumped now. I’ve got all this energy!” He clapped his hands together as if to emphasize his point.

Lance grinned. He knew what he meant and how he felt. Joey was his best friend. They just understood each other, balancing each other out. Joey loved girls and was a shameless flirt while Lance was more reserved and enjoyed taking his time to get to know people. Joey taught him how to have fun and Lance taught him how to reign it in.

“Totally!” Chris cheered. “Aint No Stoppin’ Us Now for sure.” He did an odd dance step, causing everyone to laugh.

Lance felt a hand on his back and turned his head to see his mom standing by him. She looked up at him with misty eyes and he instantly stepped into her arms to accept the hug she was offering. “Aww, mom,” he said as he hugged her back, resting his chin on top of her head. “Everything’s ok.”

“It’s ok now,” Diane replied with a shake of her head before taking a step back to look up at him. She lifted a hand and smoothed it over his hair. Lance made a face for a moment before smiling warmly at his mom. “I just can’t believe…Lynn and I had our concerns…thank the Lord. I’m so happy for you boys.”

“I love you, mom,” Lance said with a smile.

“I love you, too, sweetie” Diane replied, patting his arms before hiking her purse up her shoulder. “We have to go to lunch to celebrate. I’ll go talk to Lynn. “ She reached a hand up and cupped Lance’s cheek, rubbing her thumb back and forth over his cheek bone before making her way over to Justin’s mom, her heels clacking on the linoleum floor.

“I could really go for some good eats,” Chris said, his stomach growling. He rubbed it with both hands. “And I’m sure our fans are waiting to hear the verdict. Let’s go.”

Lance gave a nod and sucked in a deep breath of air before looking over at Joey, JC, and Justin, who was now getting to his feet. They all nodded back at him and he felt himself nod before following Chris out of the lobby of the building. And then he was outside and greeted with the sudden rise of shrieks and cheers from the fans below.

Lance’s smile widened as he looked at all of the waving signs; pink, green, blue, yellow, white, every color he could imagine, all with words of encouragement. Some girls were crying and some were bouncing up and down on the balls of their feet, trying to stay warm against the Washington DC cold. He could barely feel the crisp air himself, the response from all the fans and the fact that they all came out warmed him up.

And then he saw her in the crowd. He locked eyes with her and she stared back at him, giving a small nod of her head as she pushed her hands deep into the pockets of her black coat. Her shoulders came up to her ears for a moment and she let out a breath of air in a white puff.

“Annaleigh?” Lance asked quietly. He squinted into the crowd, trying to see past the sea of girls and signs moving and jumping, trying to get his and the guys’ attention. The splatter of freckles across the button nose and the cocky, yet endearing smile were unmistakable. She removed her gloved hands from her pocket and slowly clapped, her smile widening slightly. “Ace!” He took a step towards her, just as she turned and disappeared into the crown. “Anna!”

Lance felt a tug on his arm and looked to see a burly man was guiding him towards a string of cars, past the flashing cameras, and screaming girls, reaching for him and his friends, trying to touch them. Lance continued to crane his neck, trying to catch a glimpse of the mystery girl.

“What’s up?” Joey asked, falling into step beside him. He grinned wiggling his eyebrows. “See a special girl in the crowd?”

“Something like that, yeah,” Lance replied with a nod. “But, she disappeared.”  Joey made a groaning sound. “Yeah.” He then shrugged, turning back to his friend. “You want to know the one thing I’m looking forward to, though? Going home for a little while and just relaxing.”

“I can’t wait to start our next album with Jive Records,” Joey replied. “Just think, everything’s going our way now. We have a great manager in Johnny, great fans, and a great record company that wants the best for us, thank God.”

“Yeah,” Lance agreed, tilting his head back to look up at the fluffy gray and white clouds, “thank God.” Thank you.


Short first chapter, but I'm really excited to write this. I hope you all enjoy it.

Ages: Annaleigh is 17, Justin is 17, Lance is 19, Joey is 20, JC is 21 and Chris is 26.


 

End Notes:
Disclaimer: I don't own *NSYNC or their friends, family, or other celebrities mentioned in this fic and/or the other fics and I write in the future. I only own Annaleigh and her family and her plotline.
See You Again by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Lance meets up with Annaleigh after three years.

December 12th, 1999

Clinton, Mississippi

 

Lance sighed as he rolled over in his bed, squeezing his eyes shut when the bright, golden sun shined through the curtains on his windows. He rubbed at his eyes with his knuckles and then scratched at his bare chest with his hand before dropping his arms down at his sides, smiling happily.

He was in his bed back in Clinton, Mississippi as he and the rest of *NSYNC took a break from their tour to spend two weeks free from compact schedules, smelly tour buses, and lack of sleep. It got hard from time to time, but he wouldn’t want to do anything else other than sing and perform. It was such a rush that sometimes he would be up for hours after a performance, his mind racing, reliving every moment.

Returning home was the greatest reward; he got to see his family and friends and was able to relax and sleep in as much as he wanted. There wasn’t any snow on the ground yet-Clinton was a very beautiful place in the wintertime-but he hoped to have a white Christmas nonetheless. Christmas was six days away, but he was he was in the Christmas spirit as soon as he set foot in his house.

The room was warm and inviting basking in the glow of the fire crackling in the fireplace. The sweet smell of apple pie reached his nose, making his mouth water and his stomach growl in anticipation of taking a large bite out of the dessert. Soft Christmas music was playing and the decorated tree sat in the corner, its rainbow colored lights glowing brightly.

It was good to be home.

Lance closed his eyes, lying in bed for a few moments longer before finally getting up, stretching his arms over his head. He scratched the back of his head and made his way over to his suitcase, flipping the top open with his foot. He quickly changed and headed out of his room, following the sound of clinking plates and silverware into the kitchen.

“Morning,” Lance muttered, blinking the sleep away from his eyes as he stepped up behind his mom, who was unpacking the dishwasher, to give her a kiss on the cheek.

“How’d you sleep?” Diane Bass asked, turning around to face her son to give him a hug in greeting.

“Like a baby,” Lance replied with a smile and a little bit of a laugh as he moved to sit down at the kitchen table. He reached for the fruit bowl and grabbed an apple, taking a large bite out of it. “I talked to Darren last night, I’m going to head out with him in a little while.”

“That’s nice, sweetie,” Diane replied as she resumed putting up the dishes. “What are you two planning on doing?”

“He’s helping with the church’s Christmas showcase,” Lance replied, chewing around his bite of apple, “singing and helping Bob Westbrook with vocals. I thought I’d head down and see how everything was going, catch up with some people.” He took another bite of his apple. “Maybe see if I could help out since it’d be too late for me to join.”

“Oh, I’m sure they’d give you a spot, Lance,” Diane replied, giving her son a warm smile over her shoulder. “You haven’t performed in the church showcase in a few years now.”

Lance nodded. I haven’t done a lot in a couple years, he thought to himself as he looked around the kitchen. “Mom” he said as he started to roll the apple around in his hand. She made a noise in the back of her throat showing that she heard him. She repeated the noise when he didn’t answer right away. “Have you…talked to Ace recently?”

“Uh, yeah, she dropped by a couple days ago,” Diane replied, pushing the now empty drawer to the dishwasher before turning around to face him. “She’s in the church performance, too.” Lance slowly nodded. “She’s doing ok. She’s really grown up to be a wonderful young lady and really helpful around here when both you and Stacey are gone.” A fond smile came to her face and she shook her head. “Bless her heart. But, now I have both my babies coming home.”

“When will Stace be here?” Lance asked, feeling himself perk up at the mention of his sister.

He really loved his sister and tried to spend as much  time with her as possible whenever they were together. Due to his touring schedule, he didn’t have a lot of time to spend with her, but whenever they were together, it was like they were kids again and all he wanted to do was follow her around and to have her attention as well, she enjoyed hearing about his time out on the road. Stacey Bass was the person he went to for advice, and when the final court day came to fruition, she was able to calm his nerves and to keep him confident from states away.

“She’ll be getting home in a few days,” Diane replied as she heard the front door open and a male voice called out. “We’re in here, Darren.”

Lance got to his feet, a large smile coming to his face as his best friend, Darren Dale, walked into the kitchen. He set his apple down onto the table and wrapped his arms around Darren in a tight hug, slapping his back. “Man, aren’t you a sight for sore eyes.”

“Shoot, you’re telling me,” Darren replied, clapping Lance’s arm. He looked Lance up and down, let out a whistle, and shook his head, all the while grinning. “You look great; lost a little weight, and your hair’s blonder than I remember.”

“Better than being orange,” Lance replied, reaching up to touch his gelled hair and Darren laughed. Shortly before *NSYNC’s showcase at Pleasure Island in Orlando, Florida, he had to get his brown locks dyed (or rather bleached) blonde. However, it turned out more orange than blonde. After a while, the hair stylists managed to get it to become the color they wanted, and it did look pretty good after a while. It just took him a little while for him to get used to seeing himself with blonde hair and eyebrows. “So, how are you?”

“I’m great,” Darren replied before stepping over towards Diane to give her a kiss on the cheek in greeting. “I’m more interested to hear about you, though.  Congrats on the court case by the way. Shoot, when I heard about it-“ he trailed off shaking his head, “that man just pulled the wool over y’alls eyes.”

Don’t remind me, Lance thought with a frown, glancing over at his mom out of the corner of his eye.  She raised her eyebrows and shrugged in a “What-can-you-do?” kind of way.

“I thought the trial would be as easy as sliding off a greasy log backward,” Darren continued, still shaking his head. “Man got what he deserves though, that’s for sure.”

“Yeah,” Lance agreed with a nod. He reached for his apple and took another bite out of it. “Let me get my shoes and coat I’ll be ready to go.” He stepped over to her mom and gave her another kiss on the cheek. “I’ll see you later, mom.”

“Make sure you’re back in time for dinner,” Diane said with a warm smile. “Your father should be home by then.”

“Ok,” Lance replied before hurrying out of the kitchen. He headed back up to his room to grab his shoes, keys, and wallet before heading back down the stairs. He shouted “Bye” to his mom before following Darren out of the house, down the porch steps, and across the driveway to his truck.

Lance let out a low whistle, shaking his head as he looked at the very muddy and rusty truck that sat in the driveway. “You still drive this thing?” he asked, looking it up and down. “I’m surprised it hasn’t lost its tail pipe at least.”

“Aw, hush,” Darren replied with a roll of his eyes. He walked over to the back of the truck and gave it an affectionate slap. “My girl ain’t given me any problems yet. What about you?”

Lance rolled his eyes as he stepped up to the passenger seat. He popped open the door and climbed into the truck, slamming the door shut behind him. “Very funny,” he commented with a shake of his head. “You know I don’t have a girlfriend or anything.”

It wasn’t that he didn’t want a girlfriend, it was simply because he was just too busy. With rehearsals and studio work, and touring, he’d barely have any time to entertain a girl. That’s not to say that girls didn’t want to entertain him. There were plenty of hopefuls that tried to sneak onto tour buses and in hotel rooms and dressing rooms and he had to give them all credit for their persistence. He found it odd and a little scary, but he knew they wouldn’t be anywhere if it wasn’t for their fans.

“Anyway, did you wait long for me to get here?” Darren asked as he put his keys into the ignition, starting the truck.

A blast of warm air hit Lance in the face as he pulled his seat belt across his chest. Darren reached for the radio to turn down the volume before putting on his seatbelt, shifting the vehicle into reverse and backed out of the Bass family driveway.

“Nah, I just got up,” Lance replied before letting out a yawn before looking over at his friend again.

He couldn’t believe how much he had changed over the time he had been gone. He remembered Darren to wear the latest styles; wearing Nike or Reebok sneakers, cargo pants, and skate tees. Now, instead of wearing the t-shirts and shorts, he wore a leather jacket over a pale blue button down shirt, jeans, and still wore Nike shoes. He had gained a little weight—he was rounder around the cheeks and the middle.

“So tell me everything, man,” Darren said as he pulled out onto the road. “I haven’t seen you in months; what’s been going on?”

“Just happy,” Lance replied with a small laugh. “Just happy man, especially these last few weeks of tour considering everything.” Darren gave a nod of his head. “I can’t wait to go back out and work on new music without Lou. It’ll be great.” He then sighed. “Sorry, I keep making this all about what happened out there, I want to know what happened here. Has Clinton changed?”

“Naw, ‘course not,” Darren replied with a shake of his head, dropping an arm from the steering wheel so he was driving with one hand. “Same old Clinton, just like you left it.”

Lance twisted his mouth to the side. Just like you left it. Worded that way, it was like he had abandoned his own home. In a way he had, after a while, every time he had time off while touring Europe he’d mainly stay in Orlando if not head home for a couple of days. Orlando was where they had their start; he, Justin, JC, Joey, and Chris all lived together.

“You always said you wanted your singing to take you out of Clinton,” Darren continued, “and you’ve been able to do it.” He then switched hands on the steering wheel and punched Lance’s shoulder. “And you’ve managed to keep a level head throughout everything.”

“Hey, I wouldn’t have gotten this far if you didn’t take the time to show me the ropes,” Lance replied with a shake of his head. “With Showstoppers and everything.”

“Yeah, I remember you tagging along to everything,” Darren said as the two of them started to laugh, “both you and Ace.”

Well, now that we’re on that topic, Lance thought to himself. “How’s she been doing?” Lance asked.

“Don’t you know?” Darren asked, shooting him a curious look as he pulled up to a red light. “I thought the two of you were always talkin’.”

“I kinda lost contact with her when everything got really crazy,” Lance slowly replied as a rush of guilt washed over him. “But, she’s doing well?”

Being in Germany and touring Europe with their schedules it was hard to be in contact with everybody. Justin’s mom was with them and Lance’s mom joined them after a week he was so homesick. JC, Joey, and Chris were homesick as well, but they tried hard not to show it but they called home just as much as the two of them.

“Yeah,” Darren replied as he moved his foot onto the gas pedal, rolling the car forward as the light turned green. “You’ll see her at rehearsals today. She’s playing the bass for the live band for the little kids’ skit. “Lance blinked in surprise. “Yeah, she was playing the drums for the church band for a little while. She started staying late to watch some of the kids in daycare and just started asking Mr. Ellis about it and he jus’ started teachin’ her. She’s gotten good.” He was silent for a moment. “Can’t believe y’all fell out, although, that would explain a lot.”

“Explain what?” Lance asked, looking over at him. Darren lifted a hand to scratch the side of his jaw.

“She just went through a rough spell at home, that’s all,” Darren replied before glancing over at him. “Her dad got let go from the contracting company after he broke his ankle during work. She’d been runnin’ round trying to find a job or two to help out. She’s wanted to get out of Clinton jus’ as badly as you do, but now she’s kinda-“

“Stuck, yeah,” Lance finished for him, nodding his head.


 

Lance stepped through the doors of the church and was instantly greeted with warm, glowing candles, red bows tied up to the ends of pews, small Christmas trees adorned with lights in the windows, and a whole bunch of people running around and shouting at each other.

Kids ran up and down pews shrieking and laughing, some older kids running after them, and parents running after them telling them to slow down. Some women with disheveled hair hurried about with tape measures around their necks, holding long pieces of fabric in their hand, lips pressed tightly together to hold up the pins that stuck out of their mouths. An older couple were setting up a table of refreshments and snacks, and loud organ music was echoing through the halls. Lance could hear singing somewhere in the back.

And he loved it. He remembered all the late night rehearsals getting ready for the Christmas shows, going through songs over and over and over again until it was perfect, and just being in the Christmas mood with everyone around him. That’s what Christmas was to him; spending time with his friends and family and everyone in the community.

“Oh, Bob’s over there,” Darren said, nudging Lance in the side before pointing towards the front of the church. “Come on.” Lance followed Darren around the back of the church, making his way towards the front.

A group of kids were standing near the alter where additions were extended out, making the stage bigger. They were all talking, shouting over each other to be heard as Bob Westbrook sat at the piano, trying to quiet everyone down.

Darren stuck his index fingers in his mouth and let out a loud, shrill whistle which caught everyone’s attention. Some of the kids shrieked with laughter as others groaned, slapping their small hands over their ears. “Mr. Westbrook has been tryin’ to get y’alls attention,” Darren said as he walked forward, arms crossed over his chest. “Better behave or I’ll attach you to the pews by your fingernails.”

Lance smiled when Darren got a burst of giggles in reply. “Mr. Darren, you always say that,” a boy with fiery red hair all but shouted, thrusting his hand into the air, “but you never go through with it.”

“Just watch, one day I might,” Darren replied, dropping his voice, leaning towards the boy, a teasing smile on his face. The boy instantly shut up and Darren smiled, straightening.

“Thanks, Darren, but next time I suggest you don’t threaten the kids,” Bob Westbrook said with a warm smile as he got up from the piano bench, making his way over to the two boys. “Lance, my boy. How are you?”

“I’m good,” Lance replied with a smile as he was pulled into a hug. He clapped the man on the back before taking a step back from him. “Just glad to be home.” He then clapped his hands together. “Thought I’d stick around and see how things were going down here, maybe find a way to help out.”

“Bless your heart,” Bob said with a laugh, shaking his head. “We could always use help around here, as you know. Mr. Ellis should be back soon, he had to run an errand.” He then waved his arm towards the kids whose attention were now back on each other. “The kids are working hard; real hard. I can spot some that can really take their talents far. Like you, huh? Congratulations on everything, Lance. You’re making everyone here proud. Mighty proud.”

“Well thank you, Mr. W,” Lance replied taking his hand, shaking it vigorously. “We all try our best. We’re just glad people are enjoying what we’re working on.”

“That’s a good way of thinking about it, son,” Bob replied, “but I didn’t doubt your talent for one second. Not one second, d’you hear?”

“I hear,” Lance replied with a nod.

“Alright, well, I should get back to work,” Bob said with a nod over at the kids. “I’d love to have you stick around and see what you think of their performance.” He gently jostled Lance. “See if I could bring in some choreography, eh?”

Lance blushed.

“He wouldn’t be the best at that, Bob, boy’s got two left feet,” a girl with dark brown hair pulled up into a side ponytail, said as she brushed past Lance, carrying a boy in her arms. “Surprised he could even make it off the plane in one piece.”

Lance turned when he heard the voice and he felt his jaw drop when he recognized Annaleigh ‘Ace’ Carr standing in front of him. She had definitely grown up since he’d last seen her, when she was 15 years old. He remembered his first day in Orlando, when he sang the Star Spangled Banner with the other boys, she had started crying because she knew then and there that he wouldn’t go back home to Mississippi for a long time. She looked so young then, but now…

Annaleigh had always been known to be “one of the guys”, she followed Darren and Lance around everywhere, wanting to join in on what they were doing; fishing, sports, heading out to the Back of the 80, everything and she held her own, well. She was always known for her pigtails and baseball caps if not for her sports jerseys and baggy jeans. Those had all been lost for  a jean jacket over top a graphic t-shirt, purple shorts—which Lance was surprised to see her wearing despite the winter chill outside—and white Nikes with red laces. He could see she was wearing some makeup; maybe some lipstick and eye shadow which made her eyes pop even more as did her freckles.

"Ace," Lance said. He didn’t know whether to hug her or not. She raised her eyebrows as she looked over at him. "How are you?"

"Can't complain,” she replied before shifting the boy’s weight in her arms before turning to Bob. “Aiden got into the old Cheez-Its at snack time. He just threw up; his mom is on her way to get him.” She then nodded towards Darren. “Chippendale.”

Darren made a noise with the back of his throat, rolling his eyes at the name although he chuckled good naturedly.

“She still calls you that?” Lance asked, laughing.

“Better than Lance-Ass,” Darren instantly shot back. Lance stopped laughing. He had a point.

The boy in Annaleigh’s arms made a whimpering sound, burying his face into her neck. She then looked over at the two of them before carrying him up to the front of the church, setting the small boy down in a pew.

“Well, that went well,” Darren commented. He gave a small sigh. “Seems like the Three Musketeers have drifted apart, huh?” Lance gave a small nod. “I’ve looked out for her like you asked, by the way.” Lance looked over at him and gave a grateful smile.

After the Pleasure Island showcase, there was downtime where nothing was happening with *NSYNC and Lance and Annaleigh had returned home to Mississippi. Lance continued on with school work and working his way towards graduation when he was called back out to Orlando to continue working with the badn again, preparing for tour. After a while of nothing happenign further, he was packing up to go back to Mississippi whenhe found himself flying off to Germany. Everyone had turned up at the airport to see the boys off, but he had asked Darren to make sure Annaleigh would be ok while he was gone.

It was fun having her around in Orlando when he and the rest of the guys were working towards the showcase—with both her and his mom around, it was like he had a piece of home with him—but they all knew they’d have to move on to bigger and better things at some point in their lives. Darren was like his brother and if he entrusted anyone to be sure Annaleigh was ok, it’d be him. They were the Three Musketeers after all.

“She’ll come around, you know that,” Darren continued when Lance didn’t say anything, “considering it is you and we’re the Three Musketeers, after all. Finally back together again.”

“Yeah,” Lance agreed, putting a smile to his face as Bob tried to get the kids’ attention again. “I’m going to talk to her, so I’ll let you get to work.” Darren clapped him on the shoulder before Lance made his way over to the pew that his old friend was sitting in, holding Aiden in her arms, gently rocking him. “I remember you used to say you hated kids.”

“Yeah, but then I remembered that I used to be one,” Annaleigh replied, resting her chin on top of the boy’s head. She then looked over at him, looking him up and down. "S’been a while." She tilted her head to the side. “Lost your accent.”

With his natural deep voice, no one would really know that he had a southern accent. There were some cases (if he got mad enough, or if he spoke some southern phrases) where people would pick up on it. Being out of the country for so long, it didn’t surprise him if he had lost his accent. It was returning home for an extended period of time and then going back to do things with the group did he realize he started to pick up on it again. It was the cause of a lot of jokes from Joey, Chris, and Justin.

"So…I heard about your dad," Lance said quietly. He searched her face, but she didn’t show any emotion on her face. “Is everything ok?”

"Yeah, everything’s fine,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug.

Lance pinched the bridge of his nose, letting out a heavy sigh. They’d been friends since he was 10, he didn’t think this would be so hard. All of his other friends had no problem with being out of touch with him for a while. But, she had always been a different, kind of stubborn, and challenging kind of girl, in a good way. It was because of that, he knew that it wasn’t going to be easy to get back on her good side.

"Come on, Ace, talk to me," he said, turning to lift a leg onto the pew. “Remember when I was 12 and you were 10, we got mad at each other and didn’t talk for a week? You said it was the worst week of your life.” He paused, spotting a hint of a smile come to her face. “It’s weird to hear you so quiet.”

She quirked an eyebrow. “Are you saying I talk too much?” she asked as her eyes narrowed slightly. She then sniffed and put her nose up into the air. “Shows how much you know, being gone and all.”

"I saw you in Washington,” Lance said, deciding to change the subject, “at the trial. Why didn’t you come say anything?”

“With all those guards, no thanks,” Annaleigh said with a snort and then froze.

Lance gave a half smile. Gotcha, he thought to himself. So she was there. “So you’re a fan of our music?” he asked.

Annaleigh let out a sigh through her nose. “I was there to hear the five of you sing together for the first time, Lance, of course I’m a fan,” she replied quietly. She bobbed her head from side to side. “I dragged Darren to any of yours shows here in Miss. You guys are good. We both knew you’d do something big with your life.”

“You will too, I know it,” Lance said with a smile.

“Aiden?”

Annaleigh turned in her seat to see a tired and disheveled looking woman, dragging two screaming kids by their hands down the aisle of the church. Annaleigh got to her feet and Lance did the same, wanting to continue their conversation.

“So…it’s Christmas time,” Lance said to Annaleigh, getting her attention again. “We always go out caroling on Christmas Eve…you coming? I mean, I don’t know if you have plans but, you’re welcome to join my family.” He knew he was rambling, but he couldn’t help it. It was weird to think he had to try and be friends with a friend again. “And then have hot chocolate at my place and open each other’s gifts?”

Annaleigh’s eyes suddenly shined for a moment as she adjusted Aiden’s weight again, giving a hint of a smile. “I guess I could swing by, but who said I got you a gift?” she said after a moment of silence before turning towards the woman. “Welcome home, Lance.”

Lance smiled.

End Notes:
Sorry it took me so long to update this. School stuff got in the way. Hope you all like it. :)
Have a Blue Christmas by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Annaleigh deals with Lance returning home for Christmas.

December 14th, 1999

Clinton, Mississippi

 

“You ok, Ace? You’ve been really quiet, today.”

Annaleigh turned away from the display in the store window before shoving her hands into her coat pocket, looking over at Darren. One eyebrow lowered as the other shot up. “Is that weird?” she asked him.

“Because it’s you; yes,” Darren replied. “What’s up, Ace? It’s almost Christmas.” She didn’t answer. “Your favorite holiday? The day you can drink egg nogg like it’s going out of style?”

Annaleigh let out a breath of air through her nose, two puffs of condensation swirling through the air. “What do you get someone for Christmas when you’re not even friends with them anymore?” she asked, pulling her jacket closer to her body. “I mean Lance. How do you buy a gift for someone that has enough money to buy anything he wanted?”

Darren blinked in surprise, taking a “Since when aren’t you guys friends?” Darren asked, a confused look taking over the look of surprise.

“We haven’t really talked since he left Clinton, Chippendale,” Annaleigh replied as he fell into step beside her as she started making her way down the street, her shoes crunching over the loose gravel under her feet. “I don’t know how he could even still consider us friends.”

“I barely talked to him, but he’s still my best friend,” Darren protested. “He was just busy, you know that. Plus, he came back to Clinton every chance he got.” He put a hand on her shoulder, stopping her. “You were the one that didn’t want to see him, Ace.”

Annaleigh pressed her lips together for a moment. “I was busy, that’s all,” she replied, her eyebrows shooting up.

“And he wasn’t?” Darren replied. Annaleigh rolled her eyes, continuing down the street, at a faster pace. “You knew what would happen if the band took off.” He hurried after her. “Now, don’t get too big for your britches, girl.” He grasped her arm again, and again, she stopped to look at him. “He didn’t abandon you here. I know you got to thinkin’ he did, but he didn’t.”

“You make it sound like I’m not happy for him,” Annaleigh said with a scowl and Darren crossed his arms over his chest. “I went up to DC for the trial, remember?” She knew that was a big of a stretch.

She didn’t even try and go to talk to him after everything wrapped up. As soon as he spotted her, she darted. It wasn’t like she didn’t want to talk to him, it was that she didn’t know how to talk to him. She hadn’t seen him in so long, she didn’t even know how to bring up…well, anything and everything with him.

“Look, you two used to be like two peas in a pod,” Darren replied, adjusting the wool hat on his head. “You both wanted to get out of Clinton and he’s been able to do it. He’s gone through a lot, so have you. Given recent circumstances, I think it’d be best for both of y’all to talk. Besides, it’s Christmas filled with family and good cheer and all that.”

“…Do you think he’ll want the new Trace Adkins CD?” Annaleigh asked after a moment of silence, her upper lip curling slightly. She then pouted. “I hate it when you’re right.”

Darren grinned. “Naw, you just hate bein’ wrong,” he replied. He then put his arm around her shoulders, pulling her into his side. “Now, why does everything have to be one-sided with ya?”

“Wanna ask that again?” Annaleigh asked, driving her elbow into his stomach before peering up at him, a smirk coming to her face. “Last I checked, you were the one that didn’t return my feelings.” Darren gave a half smile in reply. “Talkin’ bout things bein’ one sided.”

“Guess I deserve that,” Darren commented pursing his lips for a moment before suddenly turning to head into a small café. He pulled the door open, a small bell chiming before motioning for her to head inside. Annaleigh turned on her heels and headed inside, sighing when she was met with a blast of warm air. “Truth?”

“Please and thank you,” Annaleigh replied, making her way over towards an empty table, settling down into one of the wooden chairs. Darren sat down across from her, removing his hair and coat.

“Always thought you were takin’ a liking to Lance,” Darren replied and Annaleigh’s eyes popped open. “What?”

He’s got to be kidding, Annaleigh thought to herself, feeling her jaw drop slightly. “D, you’re nuttier than a fruitcake,” she commented, before angling her head to look up at the waitress as she came over. After they both ordered a hot drink (her apple cider, and him hot chocolate), Annaleigh grabbed a napkin, starting to play with it. “I’m surprised you didn’t realize how I felt ‘bout you. I was…pathetic, really. But, I was thirteen…fourteen, so…”

Darren gave a short laugh. “You were followin’ Lance ‘round everywhere,” he commented, running a hand over the back of his head.”So, I jus’ assumed.”

“I did everything  I could to get your attention,” Annaleigh commented, with a sigh, an amused look crossing her face. “Lance always told me to tell ya, but…I don’t know, I thought you’d eventually realize or somethin’. I got over it, though. I can only be called Bookworm for so long.” She tore the napkin into little strips. “I hung around with Lance, partially because I knew you’d be around, and partially because Lance is…comfortable.”

Darren arched an eyebrow.

“Lance always looked on the bright side of things, you know? He always had this self-confidence that I wish I had. He always worked hard and everything paid off for him. Hard to not have that rub off on you. Only, here I am, three years later, same old Annaleigh, stuck in this same old city. While Lance was out on the road, I felt like nothing had changed; only I was getting to learn all about Germany and Europe. Then the letters slowed, and stopped and I had to face the fact that I’d have to face life alone.”

“I tried hard to keep hold of what’s what I considered to be normal and safe, do what my dad wanted me to because going out to Orlando really didn’t help me out all that much. But, you know me, as stubborn as ever. I didn’t want to give up singing or music, so I tried to stay in contact with Lance. I knew it was because he was busy, but I just started to take the lack of response personally. It was like I was stuck while you and Lance were moving on and doing what it was that you wanted to do. I started thinking, ‘Why would a super star want to talk to a girl like me? A girl stuck going nowhere fast?’ Even when he was back in America, it was like, despite being home, there was no way I could talk to him.”

She then blinked, when the waitress came back and set their steaming cups of hot beverage onto the table. She gave the woman a smile of thanks before raising the warm mug to her lips. She blew on the top of hot cider before carefully tipping her cup, allowing some of the drink into her mouth. She squeezed her eyes shut slightly when the apple cider burned her tongue and throat.

“Besides,” she said with a cough, her eyes watering, “It’s not like he even really tried to get in contact to me after a while. He was back home during my birthday last year. It’s not like he stopped by to see me or to even send a card. I mean, you at least called.”

“I…can’t argue with that,” Darren replied, slowly nodding. “But, for someone who’s supposedly mad at the guy, you seemed to have been making sure you picked a good Christmas gift for him.”

“And another thing,” Annaleigh said, slapping her hand down onto the table. “I haven’t gotten a Christmas gift for him or even a call on New Year’s.” She wrapped her hand around her mug of apple cider before tapping her the side with her fingernails.

“And you say you don’t hold a grudge,” Darren commented, lifting his hot chocolate to his lips. Annaleigh gave him a pointed look and he set the mug back down. “Look, just give the guy another chance. We’re the Three Musketeers remember?” Annaleigh twisted her mouth to the side before moving her apple cider to her mouth. “What are you more mad at: the fact that Lance couldn’t talk to you because of his success or because Lance has had huge success?”

“Excuse me?” Annaleigh asked, pushing a burst of steam into her face as she breathed into the apple cider. But, she heard what he said. Loud and clear. “That’s not it.”

“You sure about that?” Darren asked. He then put his hand up into the air, shaking his head back and forth. “Forget it, forget I said anything. We were supposed to have a good time; to hang out and catch up while I’m on break. I don’t want you mad at me, too.” A sly smile then came to his face. “Although, I bet I could fix that with some mistletoe or-“

“Shut up, Chippendale,” Annaleigh laughed, shaking her head back and forth.  “You’re just lucky I decided to spend my day off work with you.”

“I’m flattered,” Darren replied, putting a hand over his heart. He shared a smile with her before turning his head to look out the window they were sitting by. “So, you going to head over to the Bass’ house on Christmas Eve? Come on, it’s a tradition: caroling, exchanging gifts, the hayride. It’s the first time in a while all three of us can do it.”

“…I’ll think about it,” Annaleigh replied after a moment of silence.


 

“Dad, I’m home,” Annaleigh called as she stepped into her warm house.

She turned and waved towards Darren—who was sitting in his truck in her driveway—and waved her hand. He honked the horn to his truck before backing out of the driveway. She set her bags down on the ground and made her way into the living room, giving her dad, Ryan, a smile, unzipping her coat.

“Hi, sweetie,” Ryan replied turning away from the TV before looking past her. “Darren didn’t want to come in?”

“He had to get going, but he says, ‘hi’,” Annaleigh replied as she moved to set her coat down onto the arm of the chair. “I didn’t have work today so I got some Christmas shopping done.”

She rubbed her hands together before looking around the living room. There wasn’t a single Christmas decoration in sight. No lights, no wreaths, and no tree. She twisted her mouth to the side as she moved to sit next to him on the couch. She propped her feet up on the table in front of her, crossing one leg over the other, making sure not to knock her foot into her dad’s cast.

“Do you need anything?” she asked, looking up at him. Ryan smiled back down at her before placing a kiss on the top of her head.

“I’m fine, sweetheart,” he replied before resting his head on top of hers as he turned back to the TV. Annaleigh glanced at the TV and held back a groan when she recognized *NSync’s Ntimate Holiday Special was playing. “What about you?”

“Yeah,” Annaleigh replied, slowly nodding. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“You, uh, got a card in the mail today,” Ryan said, clearing his throat a couple times before nodding towards the mantle. Annaleigh looked over to see a red envelope leaning against the brick wall in between all the birthday cards that lined up on the ledge. “From your mother.”

Annaleigh wrapped her arms around her dad’s waist and hugged him, burying her face into his chest. “I’ll open it later,” she replied, smiling as he wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “Do you think she misses us?”

“I’m sure she does, Sweet Pea,” Ryan replied quietly, lifting the remote from his stomach to change the channel. He let out a sigh through his nose, resting the remote against his stomach for a moment before tapping his stomach with it. “I’m sure she does.” They were silent for a moment and then he said, “She had asked if you wanted to spend Christmas with her in Texas this year. But, after the accident and everything…I know you miss her, I just need some extra help around here for a little while.” He wiggled the toes in his cast. “Just until I get back up on my feet.”

“I understand, Daddy,” Annaleigh replied, hugging him tighter. “It’s ok.” She then sat up and looked around the room. “I’ll…I’ll pick up some extra shifts at the restaurant after Christmas, work until New Year’s. We can buy the good fireworks again. After bills, it should be enough.”

Ryan closed his eyes for a moment before peering down at his daughter. She looked up at him and frowned when she saw the look of pain in his eyes. “You shouldn’t have to do that,” he said quietly, shaking his head. He pressed his lips together for a moment before letting out a shaky breath of air. “I know this hasn’t been easy for you.”

“It’s fine, dad,” Annaleigh replied into his chest. “Don’t worry about me.”

“It’s my job to worry about you, Sweet Pea,” Ryan replied, lifting a hand to brush some of her hair out of her face. “I just want you to know that everything will be ok. I promise.”

“I know,” Annaleigh replied quietly. “I love you, daddy.”

“Love you, too, Sweet Pea.”

End Notes:
Sorry it took me a little while to update this guys. I hope you guys liked the chapter. I do not own Darren Dale, his family, Lance's friends and family, aor any other celebrity. I only own Annaleigh's family and storyline.
All I Want For Christmas Is You by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Lance finds out what happened with Annaleigh while he was gone.

December 19th, 1999

Clinton, Mississippi

Lance rubbed at his eyes as he sat in the church pew, looking over the program in his hands. He then looked up and around the church, watching as everyone scurried back and forth, putting up decorations and ushering kids around, and barking orders at each other. He had forgotten just how much really had gone on to put the Christmas show together.

He looked through the program in his hands for a second time, looking through the names of those who were participating in the program, the songs that were chosen, lyrics to some songs that were done in different languages for those who wanted to know what they meant or to sing along with the singers. It listed the names of musicians and the origins of some of the Christmas songs. And, it listed him as one of the performers.

He had no idea how Bob was able to convince him to be a part of the show and to help out around the church in preparation for the big day. Lance was the kind of person that hated saying ‘no’ to people and while he wanted to take this time to take a break from performing and to just relax, he was excited at the same time.

He remembered before *NSYNC when he would practice his songs “just one more time” and make sure that his voice was ready for the performance. He knew that everyone in Clinton was happy to have him back, but he also knew that his participation would help bring in more concert-goers. All in all, he was happy to do it; it reminded him of his life before he was in *NSYNC and it made his success all the more worthwhile.

“Chestnuts roasting on an open fire,” Lance sang to himself as he set the program aside, “Jack Frost nipping at your nose.” He stretched his arms up over his head. “Yuletide carols being sung by a choir, and folks dressed up like Eskimos.”

“Nice song choice,” Darren commented, dropping down next to his friend. “Fits your voice, perfectly.” He rolled up the score book in his hands. “Although,  with your training, I’m not surprised.” He sniffed loudly, placing a hand over his heart. “It just hurts that…after all this time, you don’t need me to…choose songs for you anymore.”

Lance rolled his eyes, shoving Darren’s shoulder. “Shut up,” he said with a small laugh.

Before Lance was really used to his own deep voice, he had Darren help him choose songs o audition with and to perform that helped him that supplemented his vocal range. He wouldn’t have ever thought of using “Old Man River” as his audition piece for *NSYNC.

“I’m glad to see you’re participatin’ that’s all,” Darren replied with a smile. “The kids sure are happy ta see ya here.” He smacked the score sheet into the palm of his hand. “Matter ‘a fact, the minute they realized you were my best friend, they haven’t stopped askin’ questions ‘bout ya.”

“Only time in his life he’s gotten so much attention,” Annaleigh commented as she walked up to the two of them, reaching out a hand to flick Darren on the forehead. “His big ego might get even bigger f’you’re not careful.”

“Aw, you’re jus’ jealous that you didn’t get to put the star on the tree this year,” Darren said with a grin. “Not my fault I’m taller’n ya.” He then got to his feet, emphasizing their height difference before patting her on the head. Annaleigh’s gave a snarky smile before batting his hand away. “Anyway, ready to practice?”

“Giving me some time free from all the kids,” Annaleigh replied, brushing her hair back with her hands, “I’ll take what I can get. I love ‘em, but they drive me crazy.” She then gave him a sweet smile. “Not as much as you though, your title is still safe.”

“I aim to please,” Darren replied with a half smile.

Lance quirked an eyebrow as he looked back and forth between his two friends. He crossed his arms over his chest, peering over at Darren as his handed Annaleigh  the music in his hands. Annaleigh took it and made her way towards the musicians sitting off to the edge of the stage. “Uhh—“

“Before ya say anythin’,” Darren said, putting his hands up defensively, “nothin’ s’going on with me an’ Ace.” Both of Lance’s eyebrows shot up. “Well, she told me she used ta like me—“

“You, just now, figured that one out?” Lance asked. He let out a bark of laughter. “Dare, she’s liked you since The Pudding Incident.”

Long story, short, when Annaleigh was 11 and Darren and Lance were thirteen, she had sat in some chocolate pudding, and not only was Darren one of the only people who didn’t laugh, he had given her his sweatshirt to wear and sat with her in the nurse’s office until her mom was able to come to school to give her a change of clothes. That whole time, he had held her hand and cracked jokes to try and get her to laugh. She had been smitten since.

“She jus’ told me tha other day,” Darren replied with a brief nod of his head and Lance blinked in surprise. He didn’t think she would ever tell him about her feelings at all. He then looked sideways at his friend, who was laughing at something the guitarist had said. “We got closer after ya left, but that’s all. She was pretty upset about it for a while.”

“Not surprised,” Lance replied with a heavy sigh.

“That’s not to say she wasn’t happy for ya,” Darren quickly continued. “We came to a few shows near here.”

“I didn’t know that,” Lance said quietly.

“She’s always been your biggest fan, of course she’s gonna support you,” Darren said with a shake of his head. The two of them were silent for a moment. “In fact, Ms. Darlene wanted to know if you wanted to do a trio performance, just like old times.”

Lance let a smile come to his face. He couldn’t remember the last time the here of them had all sang together. He had to admit, their alto, tenor, and bass trio were pretty good and the last time that they had all performed together, they had gotten good responses from everyone in attendance of their performance.

“I told her that you might not want to do it,” Darren continued when Lance didn’t answer right away. “That you were already doing one song an’ that you wanted to take a break from performin’ since you still have part of a tour to finish.”

“Thanks,” Lance replied, giving his friend a smile, “but it’s ok. I’d like to do it.” Darren smiled as well. “Have you convinced Ace, though?”

“Haven’t really told her about it, yet,” Darren replied, closing an eye into a cringe. Lance cringed as well. “Plannin’ on easin’ it in soon. Was thinkin’ of doin’ the Band Aid song, Don’t They Know It’s Christmas. Although, I think I’ve convinced her to join in the Christmas Eve festivities.”

“Thanks, Dare,” Lance replied. He then groaned and ran his hands over his face. “I thought all my stress was because of Lou.” He frowned. He didn’t want anyone else to bring up Lou Pearlman, and yet, here was, talking about him. He took in a deep breath of air, slowly letting it out through his nose. He could feel the tension coming back.

“Forget about him, man,” Darren said, patting his friend on the back. “You won. That’s all that matters. You and your friends.”

“Yeah, I know,” Lance replied with a half smile. “God was really looking out for us that day.”

He made a mental note to call everyone, or at least Joey, at some point. He hadn’t talked to any of them since he had gotten back to Clinton. Even only for a week or two, it was weird to not be around them all the time. He was sure they were all having the best time at home with friends and family, and in JC’s case having the best time sleeping. 

JC was notorious for falling asleep anywhere and everywhere. In some cases his sleeping caused for delayed starts to shows. Not that Lance could blame him, they were lucky to get even five hours of sleep a night in regards to back to back shows. It was all hard work that he got used to as tours went on, but whenever he was asked what was the one thing he was looking forward to when getting time off, his answer always was, “sleeping.”

“Yes, he was,” Darren agreed. He peered over Lance’s shoulder and Lance turned to see Bob Westbrook making his way up the center of the aisle with the kids in tow. “I gotta get going.”

“No problem,” Lance replied, clapping his friend on the arm.

“Anna, Anna,” a little girl near the front of the line called, waving her hand in the air. Lance smiled at the small girl as she hurried towards Annaleigh, turning her small feet as she ran. Annaleigh grasped the girl’s hands, lifting her into the air before balancing her on her hip. “I practiced my solo. My mommy says that…that I, um, am doing good. I think I got it.” The girl lifted her hand and rubbed at her nose with her fist. “I don’t hafta miss snack time anymore.”

“You did?” Annaleigh asked with a gasp, smiling at the girl. “I’m proud of you, sweetie.”

As Lance looked around at everybody, he really felt like he was on the outside looking in, despite becoming a part of this tradition again. Normally, he was able to slide back into the routine of being at home and hanging out with his friends and family. He just wanted to be able to get back into that old friendship he had with Annaleigh. He wasn’t entirely sure what had happened while he was gone, but he was concerned.

“Alright, file in over here,” Bob said as he motioned for the kids to slide into the pews. “Stay quiet while we have the older kids rehearsin’, ok? You know the respect they gave you?” Lance watched as the kids heads bobbed as they nodded. “Well, show some respect for them, kay?”

“Ok,” a couple of small voices called out.

“Excellent, excellent,” Bob replied before turning towards Annaleigh and Darren who were standing at the front of the church, microphones in their hands. “Darren, Ace, around the piano, please. We’ll just warm up for a bit, make sure y’all are startin’ in the right key with the right harmony.” He then turned towards Lance and gave him a bright smile. “We’ll get to you as soon as we’re done with these two, Lance.”

“Ok,” Lance replied with a smile, leaning forward to rest his arms against the back of the pew in front of him.  

He placed his chin on his arms, and watched as his friends warmed up their voices before taking center stage to start singing. Bob struck a chord on the piano before nodding towards the other musicians and the all started to play. Lance instantly recognized the opening to All I Want For Christmas Is You.

“I don’t want a lot for Christmas, there is just one thing I need,” Annaleigh sang into her microphone.

“I don’t care about the presents underneath the Christmas tree,” Darren came in next, lifting the microphone up to his mouth, tapping the side of his leg with his hand.

“I just want you for my own.”

“More than you could ever know.”

“Make my wish come true, all I want for Christmas is you,” Annaleigh and Darren sang the last line together, and Lance felt himself sitting up at attention.

He felt goosebumps shoot up his arms and he got that feeling of awe for a second time in his life, the first being the first time he had sang as a group with JC, Justin, Chris, and Joey. When it came down to it, it had just felt so right at the time. Seeing how the his two friends sang with each other, their voices mixing together made him smile and made him happy to know that they were able to rely on each other while he was gone.

“Great aren’t they?”

“Hey, ma,” Lance said, lifting his head to smile at Diane as she slid into the pew next to him, putting her purse and keys down as quietly as possible. He leaned over to give her a kiss on the cheek. “Yeah, they’re great.” He watched as Annaleigh and Darren sang Mariah Carey’s hit tune. They even had a small dance routine to the song. “How was work?”

“Oh, all the kids are so anxious to be out of school,” Diane replied with a small laugh, talking quietly. Lance leaned closer towards his mother so he could hear her. She crossed one leg over the other. During the day, Diane would teach at the local school, but in the evenings she would teach some of the kids’ bible classes at the church. “How are you doing today, sweetie?”

“I’m singing in the show,” Lance said, leaning back so his back rest against the pew. Diane’s eyebrows shot up, a smile coming to her face. “I’m singing The Christmas Song and Darren is trying to set up a trio with The Three Musketeers. I think it’d just be harder to convince Ace. It’s been hard to talk to her.”

“Oh, sweetie,” Diane said with a sigh, running her fingers through the hair at the side of Lance’s head. He briefly closed his eyes at the touch. She let out a heavy sigh and Lance turned towards her, feeling an odd feeling of worry wash over him. “She’s been through a lot since you left. It’s been hard for her an’ her father.”

“What happened to her mom?” Lance asked, his eyebrows lowering into a look of confusion.

“She’s not ‘round anymore, Lance,” Diane replied with a sigh through her nose, twisting her mouth to the side. “Her and Ace’s father had irreconcilable differences. You remember they fought a lot?” Lance slowly nodded. “After a while, you could call it World War III with ‘em. It was hard for Annaleigh, she trid her best to make ‘em stop fighting, she thought it was her fault…it was jus’ a mess.”

“She stayed at our place for a little while, but she’s been tryin’ to make thigns work. You know how she is, wantin’ to do things on her own. She didn’t want anyone to think that things were goin’ wrong, but you know Clinton, news spreads fast ‘round here. If it wasn’t for that, it was Ryan getting’ hurt while on the job. Work compensation helps out, but she’s had to take on some jobs to help pay the bills, all the while goin’ to school and everythin’. It’s been hard, but they’re makin’ it through.”

“Darren said that they had gone to a few of our concerts out here,” Lance said quietly.

“Oh, yes,” Diane replied, patting Lance on the knee. “Even when Darren was away at school, he would make time for her and they’d go see you perform.” She looked over at the two teenagers rehearsing.

“Oh, I won't ask for much this Christmas, I won't even wish for snow,” Darren sang as he strutted over to Annaleigh’s side. He bent at the waist and tapped his cheek with his finger. “I'm just gonna keep on waiting underneath the mistletoe.” Annaleigh smiled before kissing him on the cheek before she started to sing, “I won't make a list and send it to the North Pole for Saint Nick. I won't even stay awake to hear those magic reindeer click.”

Darren then took Annaleigh’s free hand and spun her until he pulled her to him, her back resting against his chest, his arm wrapped around her. “'Cause I just want you here tonight, holding on to me so tight. What more can I do? Baby, all I want for Christmas is you. You, baby.”

 “They sure have gotten closer since you’ve been gone,” Diane continued and Lance gave a brief nod of his head. “He’s been looking out for her, calling in every once in a while he’s been gone. She wrote you letters quite often, and then they slowly trickled until they just stopped. Apart from her family, I think you were the last thing she could hold onto—“

“And because of all of my touring and promotional work, I couldn’t be there for her,” Lance said, slowly nodding. He felt his mom gently squeeze his knee. “That explains so much. Why, even when I came home, she wouldn’t see me or she was busy or that I had ‘just missed her’.” He peered over at his mom. “He says they’re not—“

“They’re not together,” Diane replied with a small smile of amusement, “trust me. They wouldn’t lie to you about that either.” She then gave him a curious look. “I know she was smitten with him for a while, but, nothing has come out of it. She’s still your number one fan, don’t worry.”

“That’s not what I’m worried about,” Lance replied, and Diane tilted her head slightly to the side. “I just don’t want her to get hurt. I never have but look at where that got me…she doesn’t even want to talk to me.”

“Maybe not,” Diane replied, giving him a reassuring smile, “but from what I remember, she’s always wanted to sing with you.”

Lance laughed lightly, a smile coming to his face. That’s true, he thought to himself. She always wanted to do what Darren and I wanted to do. He thought back to all the times she would tag along to Showstopper rehearsals, and comment on songs he and Darren would perform as Seven Card Stud, and even tagging along to each travelling show with Attaché. I just never thought there was another reason behind it.

“She’ll come around,” Diane added, “it’ll just take some time. She’s had the rug pulled out from under her feet, she just needs to regain her balance so to speak and to start building her life back the way she wants it.” Diane shrugged. “And you know what they say, ‘Many hands make light work’. She needs y’all; you and Darren.”

“I invited her over for Christmas Eve, like old times,” Lance said, slumping slightly in his seat, crossing his arms over his chest. “I think Darren convinced her to accept. But, now I know why she didn’t really want to accept.”

“Just try not to push her into anythin’,” Diane replied, moving her hand to run her fingers through his hair. “Ok, sweetie?”

“Sure, mom,” Lance replied, reaching for his pocket as his cell phone vibrated. He retrieved it from his pocket and glanced at the caller ID, sighing through his nose when he say Johnny Wright’s name pop up. “Could you tell Bob I’ll be right back? I have to take this.”

“Sure, sweetie,” Diane replied, giving him a smile. Lance smiled his thanks before quickly shuffling out of the room as quietly as possible. As soon as he was out in the lobby, he flipped open his cell phone and put it up to his ear.

“Hey, it’s Lance,” he greeted his manager.

“I’m glad I caught you,” Johnny’s familiar an soothing voice came on the other end of the phone. “I hope I’m not calling at a bad time. How’s your break going?”

“It’s good, happy to be home,” Lance replied, nodding, although he knew that Johnny couldn’t see him. He wrapped an arm around his waist and propped up his elbow with his arm. “What about you?”

“Good, good,” Johnny replied. “Listen, I’ve called with some important news.” Lance had already figured that out for himself. Johnny was a pretty laid back man at times and he was known to crack a joke or two with the rest of the boys, but he was always straightforward when it came to work or any sort of business that affected the boys in anyway. “Troy Antunes will not be a member of the *NSYNC band after this tour comes to an end.”

Lance blinked in surprised. “Well…is everything ok?” he asked.

“Yes, yes, everything’s fine,” Johnny replied. Lance heard a tapping sound in the background. “Nothing to worry about. He would just like to be with his family more and spend some more time at home. He will be playing the last few shows in Hawaii. But, this is where you come in.”

“Shoot,” Lance said with a nod. He slid his free hand into his jeans pockets.

“If you know of any bass players, we’d like to get them started learning all of the songs as early as possible,” Johnny replied and Lance stopped walking. His eyebrows slowly rose. “That way they can get the older songs done and out of the way to start working towards the new album and the next tour. It’d also give them more time to get used to the other musicians and you boys as well.”

“Yeah, um, I have an idea,” Lance slowly replied, “but I’ll let you know as soon as I can.”

“Alright, alright,” Johnny replied. Lance could practically see him nodding, and could hear the sound of him writing on paper. “Well, I’m calling all the boys just to let you know. I’ll be looking for musicians as well, but I think, in the grand scheme of things, it’d help if they knew one of you ahead of time, that way they’d have that little bit of familiarity.”

“I understand,” Lance replied, nodding his head. “Thank you for letting me know. Happy Holidays.”

“Happy Holidays to you, too.”

There was a clicking sound and Johnny hung up. Lance closed his cell phone, tossing them back and forth between his hands before making his way back into the church. He saw that Darren and Annaleigh weren’t on stage anymore. Annaleigh was sitting with the kids, trying to get them to be quiet an Darren was talking quietly to Bob, who was still sitting at he piano.

“Hey, I have a question,” Lance said as he walked up to Darren. “How good is Ace on the bass?” he paused for a moment when Darren laughed quietly. “I didn’t mean for that to rhyme.”

“She’s picked it up quickly,” Darren replied, his eyebrows lowering slightly. “She’s playin’ the bass for kids’ song Light the Candles so you can see for yourself, then. Why?”

“Johnny’s looking for a new bass player for the *NSYNC band,” Lance replied and Darren’s eyes widened. “I was thinking of asking her to audition if she was good enough.” Darren’s lips twitched. “What do you think?”

“I think it’s a good idea,” Darren replied, scratching the back of his neck before giving a grin. “That way you can take her off my hands.”

“Don’t let her hear you say that,” Lance warned, turning his head to the side.

“I know, she’d be fixin’ to knock out my front teeth,” Darren replied in a monotone before cracking into a small grin. “It’s not the first time she’s threatened ta do it and I’m sure she’ll follow through sooner or later.”

“Nah, Ace is all talk,” Lance replied with a shake of his head. “At least that’s what I remember. Mom told me about what happened.” Darren pressed his lips together nodding his head. “I didn’t know it had gotten that bad.”

“She didn’t want me to say anythin’,” Darren replied, giving Lance an apologetic smile.

Lance put his hands up defensively. “If she asked you not to, she asked you not to,” he replied, “I get it.”

“You know how bad she’s wanted to get out of Clinton,” Darren said with a shrug of his shoulders. “With everything’s that’s happened ‘round here, she’s just wanted to get away from it all. I think if she could get this, it’d be enough money to turn things ‘round for her and her dad. Downside—“

“She’d have to be away from her dad all that time while he’s recovering,” Lance finished for him, nodding.

 “Well, that an he’s never been fully supportive of her music,” Darren replied and Lance blinked in surprise. “Everything ‘round here; church choir, Showstoppers, Attache, all that is fine because he knows what all goes into it. Going out of Ole Miss and travelling around the world? He doesn’t know what that entails, he doesn’t know what it’s like. He’s just worried that she won’t come home, I guess.”

“Understandable,” Lance replied with a nod.

He then patted Darren on the shoulder before moving to stand next to the piano to run scales and vocal runs to warm up for his singing as Darren moved to take a seat. He then took one of the two microphones that sat on top of the piano and used his thumb to flick the switch on the bottom of the microphone, turning it on. He heard a low hum before tapping his fingers on the microphone, hearing a tapping sound through the speakers around the room.

“Jus’ give a no whenever you’re ready,” Bob said, placing his hands on the keys. He then repeatedly pressed his finger into a pedal. “This is the note you’re starting on.” Lance hummed the note to himself before nodding over at Bob and the other musicians. As the opening to the song started, Lance made his way to the center of the stage. Bob nodded over in his direction and he lifted the microphone to his mouth, starting to croon, “Chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Jack Frost nipping at your nose.”

Lance paced around the front of the stage. It was kind of weird for him doing nothing on stage. They did perform acapella songs during their concerts to give themselves time to catch their breath and get some of their energy back, but in comparison to how the rest of their show was so upbeat, it was kind of night and day. But, what was really odd was that he was doing this without his four friends, his brothers by his side.

“They know that Santa's on his way, he's loaded lots of toys and goodies on his sleigh,” Lance continued, looking around at the dim glow of the lights in the church as the sun started to set, bathing the room in a warm glow. He smiled over at his mom as he sang and she beamed back at him, gently rocking from side to side as she listened to him sing. “And every mother's child is gonna spy, to see if reindeer really know how to fly.”

Lance put a hand over his heart, closing his eyes as he continued to sing until he got to the end of the song. “And so I'm offering this simple phrase to kids from one to ninety-two. Although it's been said many times, many ways, Merry Christmas to you.”

“Good, good,” Bob said as he played the last chord to the song. “Be careful about your bauble in the second verse.” Lance nodded his head. Bob had specific words for how to describe someone’s singing. ‘Baubling’ was when a singer’s voice would quiver; something that could add effect to a song and at the same time, could take away from the song. “You’re already goin’ to catch your listener’s attention jus’ by your voice, you don’t need ta do anythin’ special with it.” 

“Yes, sir,” Lance replied with a nod.

Bob turned on the piano bench, the movement causing a loud squeak to hit the air, before looking over at the other musicians. “Let’s start again, from the second verse.” He then turned back towards Lance. “’Everybody knows.’ That’s your first line.” 

“Yes, sir,” Lance replied with a nod. As he waited for his cue to start singing, he glanced out the window, a smile coming to his face.

It had started to snow.

 

 

End Notes:
Story is going a little slow right now, in my opinion anyway. But, it'll start picking up and you'll see the other *NSYNC members soon, as well. Hope you all liked this chapter.

I don't own the lyrics to "The Christmas Song (Chestnut's Roasting)" by Nat King Cole, or "All I Want For Christmas Is You" by Mariah Carey. I also don't own "Don't They Know It's Christmas" by Band Aid or "Light the Candles (All Around the World". I don't know who originally wrote the last song.
We Wish You A Marry Christmas (Part I) by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Lance asks for advice on whether or not to help Annaleigh. Sorry for the delay with this chapter.

December 20th 1999

Clinton, Mississippi

“Hey, I need your opinion on something,” Lance said as he knocked on the doorframe to his sister’s, Stacey, room. She lowered her book before folding down the corner of the page.

“What is it?” Stacey asked, pulling her legs underneath her to sit Indian style n the bed. She patted the spot in front of her and Lance came into the room, pushing the door shut with his foot before dropping down on her bed, his added weight making the mattress bob up and down briefly. “You look bummed. You’d think you’d be happier after the court case and everything. I’m really proud of you, you know.”

“Thanks, Stace,” Lance replied with a smile.

“So, what’d you need my advice on?” Stacey asked. She then titled her head to the side. “What’d she do this time?”

Lance blinked, taken aback. “How’d you know I was talking about Annaleigh?” he asked. He watched as Stacey’s eyes slowly inched up her forehead as a smile spread across her face. He shifted uncomfortably, glancing down at his hands before looking back up at her.

“The same way you knew that I was talking about Annaleigh,” she replied and Lance couldn’t help but smile a little bit. “So, what’s going on?”

“One of our band members isn’t coming back after we finish this tour,” Lance said, putting his chin in his hand. “The bass player to be exact. I was thinking of asking Annaleigh to audition.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard that she’s gotten pretty good on the bass,” Stacey replied, gathering her hair into a ponytail before dropping her hair, allowing it to fan out down her back. “It wouldn’t hurt to ask. I don’t see the problem.”

“We haven’t really been on the best speaking terms since I got home,” Lance replied and Stacey blinked in surprise. “And, I heard from mom that things aren’t going well with her and her dad.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard about that, too,” Stacey replied with a sigh, shaking her head back and forth. “Unfortunately, everybody probably knows about it by now. Small city and everything.”

“Yeah,” Lance replied with a nod of his head. “Mom told me how…complicated things are for them.” He brought his knee up to his chest. “How Anna has got some jobs lately to help pay the bills.”

“You think that her potentially being hired as the bass player will help things?” Stacey asked and Lance slowly nodded his head. Stacey gaped at him for a moment before putting her head in her hands. “James, James, James.”

“What?” Lance asked. “Is it a bad idea?”

“You can’t keep bailing her out of trouble,” Stacey replied as she lifted her head from her hands. She brushed her hair back before dropping her hands into her lap. “She has to learn how to help herself sooner or later.”

Lance’s eyebrows slowly lowered into a look of confusion. “What do you mean?” he asked quietly.

Stacey’s eyebrows twitched. “Back when you first met her, you brought her over here to help clean up her split lip after she hit herself in the face with her soccer ball,” Stacey said as she started to count off on her fingers. “When she first got her period, you and Darren came to me to help get her some toiletries before the school managed to get in contact with her mom, when you went creek stomping and she hurt her ankle you carried her home, when some jealous little girl ruined her pageant outfit during the Little Miss Kettle Corn pageant you were there to help her switch her talent performance to showcasing her soccer skills, when she—“

“I get it,” Lance said, interrupting his sister. And he did.

He just didn’t realize how much he had done for his friend over the years. He hadn’t realized how much he had held her back. Their relationship was something that he leaned on through everything and he knew she did the same. He was always there to give her a word of advice and to show her his support through everything she set her sights on. In turn, she told him everything like it was, and while it did hurt, she could soften the blow with words of encouragement.

But as he thought back to it, he had helped her out way more than she helped him. He had always had success with Showstoppers, Seven Card Stud, and Attache, with one leading straight into another, and she was always tagging along, helping him calm his nerves, and to support them by traveling with them during their performances.

Or it could be that she just wanted to get away from home, he thought to himself.  She could’ve been having trouble this whole time and you never noticed. No wonder she’s not too happy with you. Lance let out a heavy sigh through his nose. “And you think by having me get her a job with *NSYNC would be bailing out.”

“Considering it’d be bringing in more money than any waitressing job could,” Stacey said slowly nodding her head.

“So, I shouldn’t bring it up to her?” Lance asked.

“Do you really think she’d do that well?” Stacey asked, a curious look crossing her face. “From what I’ve gathered, she hasn’t been playing that long. Lance slowly nodded his head. “You know better than anyone else how hard, time consuming, and grueling rehearsals are just for one of your shows.”

“You know as well as I do that she likes a challenge,” Lance said with a small fond smile. “It’s just bringing it up that’s the hardest part.” He then rested his chin on his knee before sticking out his bottom lip. “Will you tell her for me?”

“And why would I know about what’s going on in *NSYNC?” Stacey asked.

“Becaaaaause,” Lance held out the word and gave an exaggerated roll of his eyes, “you’re a fan?”

“Of my brother? Yes,” Stacey replied, reaching out to pinch his cheek. Lance made a face, leaning away from her. He slapped repeatedly at her hand. “My little baby brother is all grown up.”

“Stop it!” Lance said as a laugh bubbled up in his chest. Stacey leaned over him and dug her fingers into his sides and he burst out into loud laughter. “Stop! Mooom!”

Stacey, stop messing with your brother.”

Stacey let out a gasp of amusement as she sat back on her heels. “I can’t believe you just told mom on me, you little twerp,” she said with a grin, slapping at his knee as he sat up, a n arm wrapped around his stomach as he tried to catch his breath. She then grabbed her pillow and gently bopped him on the side of the head. “Don’t worry about Anna, James. You know her; she always tries to work things out herself before she asks for help.”

“Yeahhhh, I know,” Lance replied with a nod of his head. “I just wish she’d ask for help before it looked like she didn’t have any way out.”

“You can’t always be there to help her out of her problems, James,” Stacey said with a sigh through her nose. “I know you asked for my advice, but, I don’t think I can give you advice one way or another. It’s a touchy subject. Especially because it’s not involving your life but someone else’s.”

“Well…” Lance trailed off as he tried to think hard. “Clinton is all about community and helping each other out.”

“Don’t even go there, James,” Stacey said with a shake of her head. “Look, I do get that you want to help out, and I understand your reasoning behind it.” Lance peered over at her and she trailed off, pressing her lips together.

“But?” he prompted.

“But, I don’t think this is something that she would be willing to have someone help save her from,” Stacey replied, “and it wasn’t really anything mom should’ve told you. You know how she gets with her private life. She doesn’t let anyone in unless she knows she can trust them.”

“But, she can trust me,” Lance protested before dropping onto his back on her bed. “Or at least, she used to be able to.” He then sat up, and peered over at her. “You don’t think there’s anything going on between her and Darren, do you?

“No,” Stacey said with a shake of her head. “Definitely not.” She let out a small laugh. “Why would it be so bad if there was? You know as well as I do that she used to be sweet on him.”

“She’s always wanted to get out of Clinton, Stacey,” Lance explained to his sister, “just as much or even more than I did. Darren, wants to stay here in Clinton.” He shook his head back and forth. “Not that I don’t think they wouldn’t be great together, and I’d be happy for them.” Stacey’s eyebrows shot up. “I would be!”

“Do you like her?” Stacey asked and Lance groaned.

“No, geeze, why does everybody think that?” he asked, putting his hand up to his face. Stacey just gave a small smile. “I don’t, Stace. We’re just friends, that’s all.” He rested his elbow on his knee and put his cheeks on his fist. “Besides, I’m not looking for a relationship…a girlfriend, right now.”

“You may not be looking for a girlfriend, but you can’t really ever help how you feel about someone,” Stacey replied.

Lance slowly nodded his head. “I know,” he replied with a fleeting smile.

“You ok?” Stacey asked, reaching out to gently hit him on the knee.

“Yeah,” Lance replied with a nod of his head, putting a smile to his face. “Yeah, I was just thinking. Thanks for your advice, Stace.”

“Anytime,” Stacey replied with a smile. “Now, get out of my room so I can finish my homework.”

“You have homework during Christmas?” Lance asked, his eyebrows shooting.

“Not all of us are in a famous pop band, you know,” Stacey replied with a small laugh before picking up her book again before nodding her head towards the door. “Some of us are still working our way through college.” Lance put his hands up defensively, before moving to give his sister a kiss on the cheek.

“Love you, sis,” he said before heading towards the door. “Thanks.”

“I love you, too, James,” Stacey replied, opening her book from where she left off. “And you’re welcome.” She called to him once more and Lance turned around to face her. “Close the door on the way out.”

“Sure,” Lance replied as he opened the door.

He slipped outside, giving his sister a smile before closing it behind him. He then leaned back against the door, closed his eyes, and let out a heavy sigh. She had no idea that she had given him advice in more ways than one. Unfortunately, she also made his problems that much more complicated.

He bounded down the stairs just as the doorbell rang. “I got it,” he called, lifting his hands to slap at the section of wall above him. He jumped down past the last two stairs before heading to the front door, grasping the door handle to pull it open.

“Hey, D,’ he greeted Darren before stepping aside, allowing his friend into his house. “Don’t you normally just barge in?”

“You’ve been out of the city for too long, slick,” Darren replied with a teasing smile as he stepped into the house, brushing snow from his hair before removing the scarf from his neck. “Crime rate’s gone up since you left. People are startin’ to lock their doors now.” He wrapped his scarf around his head. Wonderin’ what you were up to. Want to head out to the Fire Station?”

“Let me just tell mom where I’m going,” Lance replied, clapping him on the shoulder. He then turned on his heels and made his way into the kitchen. “Smells good in here.” He reached up a hand and gently flicked the sprig of mistletoe over the doorway. “Are you making your famous egg nogg?”

“Of course I am,” Diane replied, moving to turn down the volume of the radio which was pouring Christmas music into the kitchen.

“Mmmm, I can taste it right now,” Lance said, licking his lips. “So, uh, mom, Darren’s here. Mind if I go hang out for a little while?” Diane peered over at her before making her way to the oven, opening the door to check on some cookies. Lance smiled as the warm, smell of cookies wafted to his nose.

“Sweetheart, if it’s not rehearsals at church, it’s going out to see your friends—“

“And that’s a problem?” Lance asked.

“No, of course not,” Diane replied, closing the oven door to look over at her son. “Sweetie, you’ve been gone for so long, I know it’s important to see your friends.” She stepped over to him and cupped his cheeks with her hands. “You don’t get to see them that often, I understand. I just want you to slow down and relax. Enjoy your time at home.”

“I am, mom, don’t worry,” Lance replied, moving to sit on the counter. “I’m just worried about Anna.”

Diane sighed, nodding her head. “I know you are, sweetie,” she replied, “I’m worried about them, too.” She pulled a bowl of a cream colored mixture towards her, starting to stir it with a whisk. “Ryan insists that everything is ok, but I can’t help but worry. Anna still has a year and a half of high school to get through, and then there’s the idea of college and what she plans on doing in the future.”

“With Caroline out of the picture, and his injury…it’s just a mess over there. I’m sure they’ll come through everything just fine. They will make it through with God’s good grace and with faith. I’m trying not to get involved, but it’s hard to see your friends go through something like this. I can only imagine how hard it is for you and Darren to have to sit through as well. But, I’ve been keeping them in my prayers as of late. If there’s anything I can do, it’s that.”

“Hey, D, come here a minute,” Lance said, closing his eyes for a brief moment before he started to kick his legs back and forth, his heels thumping up against the cabinet doors behind him. There was a shuffling sound and Darren walked into the room.

“Hi, Mrs. Bass,” Darren greeted the woman before giving her a hug.

“Hello, Darren,” Diane replied as she stepped back from the hug. “Are you and your family joining us for Christmas dinner this year?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Darren replied with a nod of his head. He then looked over at Lance. “I couldn’t help but overhear your conversation.” He draped his scarf over his shoulder before sliding his hands into his pants pockets. “I’m worried about them too.”

“Well, I at least hope the two of you haven’t tried to give them any money or anything,” Diane said with a shake of her head.

“I tried to convince her to enter the Miss Snowflake pageant,” Darren commented, scratching the side of his neck.

“Oh, Darren, you know how important pageants were to both Anna and Caroline,” Diane said, planting a hand on her hip, turning to look over at Darren. “It’s no wonder she wouldn’t do it.”

“The prize money was good enough,” Darren replied with a shrug.

“Johnny called, saying that our bass player is leaving at the end of this tour,” Lance spoke up, “and he wants us to keep an eye out for any other musicians to take his place.” He looked over at his mom before bringing his foot up onto the counter. “I was thinkin’ of bringing it up with Anna, see if she wanted to audition. If she gets hired, it could cover any expenses they may have.”

“I talked to Stace about it, and she doesn’t think it’s a good idea. Said that I shouldn’t save Anna from this; that she needs to save herself. But, the thing is…I spent so much time trying to get out of here by any means necessary, I didn’t see that things were getting so hard for her. I think that’s why she doesn’t want to talk to me; because I was able to get out and to do something to make all this money, while she and her family are struggling, when I’ve always been there to help her with everything.”

“James, don’t start feelin’ bad about your success,” Diane said in a warning tone, shaking her head. “We’re all proud of you, and you should be too. You’ve worked so hard for what you’ve accomplished.”

“I know,” Lance replied with a groan before running his hands over his face. “I am, mom. Believe me, after everything with Lou, I couldn’t be more proud than what we’ve accomplished despite all the crap he’s put us through.” Diane gave him a warning look. “Stuff.’ All the ‘stuff’ he’s put us through. Sorry, mom.”

“Mrs. B, with all due respect, there has to be something we can do,” Darren said, dipping his finger into the cream concoction in the bowl in front of her. He quickly retreated his hand when Diane slapped at it and gave her a sheepish grin before sticking his finger into his mouth. “We can’t just sit here and watch her family go under.”

“Boys, I understand that you’re worried, but I must ask the two of you respect Ryan’s wishes and to stay out of it,” Diane replied. She waved her hands at the two of them before ushering them towards the door. “Now, shoo, shoo. There won’t be any eggnog or Christmas cookies to taste this year if you don’t let me finish baking.”

“I’ll be back later, mom,” Lance said, moving to follow Darren out the kitchen door.  “The Snowflake Pageant?”

“It was the only idea I had at the time,” Darren replied with a shrug. “It’s better than nothing. Seriously, Lance, I’ve never seen her this depressed before. She’s good at hiding behind her wall—“

“But, it’ll crack and crumble eventually,” Lance agreed with a nod and Dareen muttered a “yeahh.” Lance headed to the hall closet to get his coat and a scarf. “So, how is she on bass? Good enough to get in with Johnny?”

“Hard to tell, but then again, I’m not a musician,” Darren replied as Lance zipped up his coat. “Johnny would be the best to figure that out one way or another.” Lance “hmm-ed” under his breath as he adjusted the scarf around his neck before reaching for the pile of shoes on the floor. “You have an idea?”

“Being around Justin, Chris, and Joey for this long,” Lance said as he slipped his feet into his shoes, “you start to learn how to think outside the box when you want to get around things.” Darren gave him a confused look. “What if we had Annaleigh audition for Johnny without her knowing about it?”

A small smile came to Darren’s face, “If things work out-“

“It could be the best Christmas gift she could ever get,” Lance agreed with a nod. “Let’s just hope she’s in the Christmas spirit.”

Darren nodded.

 

End Notes:
Shorter chapter. But, it's getting close to getting back to see the rest of *NSYNC in this fic, and to have the story really start getting into the plot. I hope you all are enjoying it so far.
We Wish You a Merry Christmas (Part II) by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:

Soo sorry it took me so long to update this! School's gotten in the way!

Hope you like this chapter.

December 24th, 1999

Clinton, Mississippi

Darren pulled his gloves off of his hands before setting them down onto the table in the Little Ole Miss Diner. He unzipped his coat, letting out a breath of air ash he was able to remove his arms from the constraints his coat put on him. He smiled as the warmth of the diner washed over him, warming him from the inside out.

“Sorry, I’m late.” Darren looked up as his sister, Jasmine, rushed through the front doors of the diner before hurrying to his booth. Her cheeks were a bright pink, and her hair was pulled in different directions, dotted with snow. She let out a sigh as she threw her gloves onto the table, taking off her coat. “The snow is really comin’ down out there.” She gave a grin. “It’s just what I need to put into the Christmas mood.”

“Don’t worry, I just got here,” Darren replied, putting his hands up defensively as she settled down into the booth across from him, adjusting her pink and white Christmas sweater. “I ordered you a milkshake.” He then gave her an odd look, shaking her head. He reached for a sugar packet, slapping it against the heel of his palm. “How you can drink this in this weather, I’m not sure.”

“Its tradition,” Jasmine replied with a toothy smile. “We always come to this diner on Christmas Eve, you get apple cider and I get a milkshake and we toast ta the upcomin’ New Year.” She lifted a hand in the air, pretending to be holding a glass before she made a clinking sound with her mouth. “I’m just glad I was able to get home before the snowstorm hit.” She then reached across the table and hit Darren’s shoulder with her hand.”You look great, Dare.”

“So do you, Jazzy,” Darren replied with a warm smile. “I’m glad you were able ta make it home. So, how is school? MSA treatin’ you well?”

“Perfect,” Jasmine replied with a bright smile, tilting her head to the side, her hair falling over her face as she clasped her fingers together. “I love MSA and I’m so glad mom and dad allowed me ta go.” She rapped her knuckles on the table top, her eyes glowing. “Let’s order the Big Ole Miss. I’m starving.”

“Sounds good,” Darren replied with a nod of his head, tossing the sugar packet aside.

“So how’s she doing?” Jasmine asked, lifting her hands to brush her dark air behind her ears.

“You know Ace,” Darren replied with a sigh, running his hand over his mouth. He gave a shrug as Jasmine slowly nodded her head. “Doesn’t have much ta say, but a lot is said in her silence. Keepin’ herself busy.” He lifted his eyes to look up at the clock on the wall above her head. “Should be here for her shift soon, anyway.”

“And you’d know that because?”Jasmine asked, her lips stretching into a sly smile as she peered across the table at her brother.

“You know, it was a lot better without you around,” Darren replied with a small laugh before giving their server a nod of thanks as he set down a steaming mug of apple cider in front of him before handing Jasmine her milkshake. “Could we have the Big Ole Miss?” The server gave a nod of his head before going to make their order. “Quieter…the townsfolk didn’t have a lot ta gossip ‘bout.”

Jasmine stuck her tongue out at her brother before she moved her straw to her lips, slowly sucking back on it. Darren watched as the whipped cream lowered in her cup before she let out an “Ahhh” of satisfaction as she sat back in her chair. She then reached for the container of napkin and wiped at her upper lip. “You missed me and you know it, Dare.” She then waved her hand in the air. “I’m just teasing you.”

“Jazz, Ace told me that she used ta be sweet on me,” Darren said and Jasmine gave him an amused look.

“That much was obvious,” she said as she tapped her fingernails on the side of his glass. “But it’s not ‘used to’ she’s still smitten with you.” Darren’s eyebrows twitched. “Don’t think she won’ be, actually. In fact, sometimes, I think she’s kept ya ‘round ‘cause Lance hasn’t been ‘round much lately.” She put a hand up into the air. “Don’t get me wrong, y’all are great friends. I could see y’all being friends forever; you, Anna, and Lance. So how are rehearsals going?”

Darren lifted a hand to rub at his temples before he reached for his mug of cider. He took a sip, wincing as the hot beverage burned his tongue. He quickly swallowed, his eyes watering and he coughed lightly. “Not bad,” he managed to choke out before taking her milkshake. Ignoring her shriek of protest he put his mouth to the rim and drank the soothing cold beverage. “Pretty good. It’s going ta be a good show.”

Jasmine slapped at his hand when he handed his sister her milkshake back before giving him a bright smile. “Any room for one more act?” she asked.

“Why?” Darren slowly asked, his eyebrows slowly coming together until they formed a line.

“I’ve been working on a song while at school,” Jasmine replied. “Maybe seeing if I could do it with Ace. It’s a total girly song, but I’m sure everyone would love it and since you’re the assistant director…”

“How girly are we talking, little sister?” Darren asked.

“Don’t worry, it keeps with the Christmas theme,” Jasmine replied with a roll of her eyes.

“I’ll see what I can do,” Darren replied, his lips twisting up at the corner. Jasmine let out a small squeal, clapping her hands together.

“You’re the best big brother ever!” she cried, punching the air with her fists.

“You say that now,” Darren pointed out to her. “Calm down, Jazz, you’re not in, yet. Sides, it’s very last minute.”

“Details,” Jasmine replied, waving her hand in the air. “My turn to pay or yours?’

“Mine,” Darren replied.

“Maybe should’ve gone for the onion rings, too,” Jasmine said with a teasing.

“Sure, if you want to drive people away,” Darren replied with a shrug. He then paused for a moment, a thoughtful look crossing his face. “On second thought, let’s make that a double order.” Jasmine kicked at his leg under the table, missing him, slamming her foot into the wood support. Her face scrunched up and she let out a noise of pain as Darren started to laugh.

“So, how’d you react?” she asked, reaching for her milkshake again. Darren gave her a confused look. “When Annaleigh told you she was sweet on you?”

“Surprised,” Darren replied after a moment of silence. He gave a shrug, scrunching up his nose slightly. “I didn’t know she was. Always thought she liked Lance to be honest with ya.”

“No way,” Jazzy said, shaking her head. She then let out a pitying sigh. “Men. You’re all so stupid.”

“Hey!” Darren said with a frown.

“Come on, Dare, all we ever did was talk about you,” Jasmine said, wiping her damp fingers on her napkin. As she swallowed the ice cream in her mouth, her lips made a small popping sound. “Embarrassing stories, most of the time, but they were always about you.”

“Gee, thanks,” Darren said, his words dripping with sarcasm. “You could’ve told me she liked me.”

Jasmine’s eyes popped open and her jaw dropped in shock before she gave a grin. “You’re sweet on her, aren’t you?” she asked, pointing a light pink nail polish covered finger in her brother’s face. Darren pushed her hand away.

“No,” je replied with a shake of his head. “I’m worried about her.”

“Mmmhmmmm,” Jasmine replied, crossing her arms over her chest. “Look, even if I was, I don’t think I’m the best person to help her out right now.” He let out a breath of air. “I mean, apart from—never mind.”

“Never mind, wha-?” Jasmine asked, a curious look on her face.

“Ssssh!” Darren interrupted her.

“D, you tell me and you tell me right now,” Jasmine said, jabbing her finger onto the table. She stomped the ground with her foot before pouting, crossing her arms over her chest. “Imma tell momma if you don’t.”

“See if I even care,” Darren replied, in the same tone of voice.

Jasmine huffed, unfolding her arms. “Come on, D, what is this big secret?” she asked, sticking her bottom lip out in a pout.

“Just pray for me, little sister,” Darren replied, his chest swelling as he sucked in a breath of air. “You can’t tell Ace.” Jasmine lifted a finger and drew and X over her heart. “Lance told me that the bass player for his traveling band is leaving at the end of the tour and they’re looking for a new one. Ace has gotten pretty good with it. We—Lance and I—were going to video tape her and send it off to his manager Johnny.”

“I see,” Jasmine replied with a nod of her head. Her eyebrows inched up her forehead and she folded her arms down onto the table. “I think you’re going to be praying a lot if you don’t want Ace pummeling you.”

“Yeah, yeah, I know,” Darren replied with a heavy sigh. He looked up when he heard the bell over the door ring and sat up straighter in his seat when he spotted Annaleigh stepping in through front door of the diner. “Think about it, though, Jazzy, she could use the money and the experience. Plus, she’s always wanted to get out of Clinton.”

“I’m just saying,” Jasmine replied in a whisper. “You know what her dad is like. Besides, with his injury, I don’t think it’s a good idea for her to leave him alone.” Darren opened his closed his mouth when she turned in her seat. She got to her feet and all but leaped onto Annaleigh. Darren watched as Annaleigh stumbled back in surprise before she joined in the shrieking that had already burst out of Jasmine’s mouth.

“Some best friend, why didn’t you tell me you were back in town?” Annaleigh asked, brushing her damp hair out of her face before giving Jasmine a proper hug. “I’ve been waiting for your call.”

“I just got back a few hours ago,” Jasmine replied, “besides, a little birdie tipped me off on when you would be coming into work today.”

“I see,” Annaleigh replied as she looked over at Darren before removing her coat. “Is this an intervention or something?”

“No way,” Jasmine replied, shaking her head, her tresses flying. “Just the easiest way to see my two best friends once I got back in town.” She then pouted. “Unless you didn’t want to see me.”

“I hate it when you do that,” Annaleigh said with a roll of her eyes. “Of course I’m happy to see you, Jazz.” She then gave a smile and gave her friend a hug. “Now I have to get to work before I get in trouble. Have you already ordered?”

“Yup, The Big Ole Miss,” Jasmine replied with a smile. “And two orders of onion rings.”

Annaleigh looked Jasmine up and down, shaking her head. “I don’t know how you can eat so much, and still stay so skinny,” she commented, shaking her head back and forth. She then grinned before putting her fingers to Jasmine’s forehead, pushing her back. “Although, I guess that’s what they’re looking for at that fancy-schmancy performing arts school you ditched me for.”

“Oh, stop being so dramatic and go make me my food,” Jasmine said, waving her hand in the air.

Annaleigh’s eyes widened as she gave a laugh of disbelief. Jasmine pushed her towards the counter and Annaleigh put her hands up defensively before heading around the counter. “Sorry I’m late, Mitch,” she called as she headed into the back to hang up her coat before reaching for her apron, pulling it over her head. She tied it around her waist before adjusting her name tag, heading back out to the floor. “Snow’s snarling traffic. It has to be against the law to work Christmas Eve.”

“Thought you needed the money,” Alan replied as he pulled the basket of onion rings out from the bubbling oil.

Alan McIntyre had been one of her old friends, whom she hated to say she had lost as she got to be closer with Lance and Darren. While she had started to cut back on her soccer playing to get into singing like the two of them, Alan had stuck with his passion for playing baseball. Singing and baseball were the two things that had single handedly put Clinton on the map.

“Don’t remind me,” Annaleigh replied, reaching for the second basket.

“Plus, with how often Darren has been hangin’ ‘round lately, figured you’d want to work those extra hours,” he commented with a grin. Annaleigh stuck her tongue out at him before jiggling the basket, making sure all the oil had dripped off. She then reached for the stack of plates underneath the counter and set them down on the table top. “He has been comin’ round here more often.”

“There’s nothin’ going on between us, Al,” Annaleigh replied as she started to carefully place onion rings onto the two place. “I told him I liked him. We’re just friends, that’s all. I mean, he’s been great, helpin’ me out and everythin’.”

“But?” Alan asked, turning on the grill before heading to the freezer to get a pack of hamburgers.

“Makes me feel like a charity case,” she replied.

“Naw, you know that ain’t true,” Alan replied with a shake of his head before moving to start a batch of French fries. “Lance and D have both been lookin’ out fer ya since y’all met.” Annaleigh made a noise in the back of her throat. “It’s not a bad thing. Used ta be known as chivalrous.”

“Not chivalrous when ya got no room ta do things fer yourself,” Annaleigh mumbled before grasping the two plates of onion rings before turning back towards the counter. She leaned across it and set the two plates of onion rings onto the table that Jasmine and Darren were sitting at. “Jazz, you coming caroling wit’ us tonight?”

Jasmine’s nose wrinkled. “And force myself to stay out in the cold?” she asked. Her eyes flickered towards her brother and she gave a smile. “On one condition; I’ll go caroling if you do a duet with me for the Christmas Showcase, and you play the bass for the song.”

“I…” Annaleigh blinked in surprise before looking over at Darren who reached for the plate of onion rings. He blew hard on the ring before he popped it into his mouth, chewing loudly. “Kinda last minute dontcha think?”

“The song is great, I swear,” Jasmine replied, “besides, I have an in with my big brother.” She threw Darren a grateful smile and he managed to smile around the onion ring in his mouth. “It’ll be lots of fun, I promise.” Annaleigh’s eyes narrowed slightly and she raised a warning finger. “No pink. Swear!”

“Don’t swear,” Darren automatically said and Jasmine gave a shrug before reaching for an onion ring. She picked it up between two fingers and took a bite out of it.

“So, what do you say?” Jasmine asked, chewing happily. “Will you perform with me?”

“What’s one more show?” Annaleigh asked after she let out a heavy sigh. “Need more practice anyway.” She gave a shrug. “Besides, it’s the first time in a while dad’s actually getting out of the house, I want him to have a good time.” She then turned and headed back to the fryer. “I don’t know how she’s always done that.”

“Shoot, like you’d turn down any chance to spend more time with ‘im,” Alan said with a grin, bumping Annaleigh’s side with his elbow. She pressed her lips together before elbowing him back. “Just sayin’, I always thought it’d be him or Lance who’d be courtin’ ya.”

“Why does everybody think that?” Annaleigh asked, letting out a huff of air and Alan chuckled. “Me’n Lance? We’re best friends, tha’s all.”

“And Darren?” Alan asked as she moved past him to the refrigerator to get out a carton of eggs. He chuckled when he didn’t get an answer. “Come on, I know you have at least one reason why he’s so special.”

“You better hush up,” she said smacking the back of his head with her hand. She turned on the stove top and grabbed a skillet, dropping it on top of the stove before reaching for the container of butter. “…He’s just so cute!”

“There ya go,” Alan said with a grin.

“I’ll knock you so hard, you’ll see tomorrow today if ya don’t hush up,” Annaleigh said, shoving his shoulder. She glanced over her shoulder at Darren and Jasmine as they talked quietly at their table, splitting their order of onion rings before going back to what she was doing.

“You ok?” Alan asked, looking over at her before flipping over a hamburger.

Annaleigh grabbed an egg from the carton. She tapped it on the side of the skillet and allowed the egg yolk to slide out of the shell and onto the hot skillet where it instantly started to cook. “Jus’ fine,” she replied.


 

“Lance?”

“In here,” Lance replied, draping a string of Christmas lights around the tree. He turned his  head when he heard the front door close and gave Darren a nod in greeting. “What’s up?” He stepped down from the ladder he was standing on before moving to slap his friend’s palm in greeting. “How’d it go?”

“Smooth sailing,” Darren replied, brushing snow off of his shoulders before shaking some of them out of his hair. “It was as easy as sliding off a greasy log backwards.”

“That’s good,” Lance said with a nod of his head. “I’ve set up the camera in the chapel, we can go double check everything when we go for service tonight.” He then clapped his hand on Darren’s shoulder. “Are you sure this is going to work?”

“Isn’t that my line?” Darren asked with a small laugh. “This was your idea, wasn’t it?”

“Yes,” Lance agreed with a nod. “But, let’s be honest here, if she were to pummel us, I wouldn’t hesitate to jump behind you.” He gave a teasing smile as he crossed his arms over his chest. “I bruise like a peach, you know that. Besides, with how much she likes you, I bet she’d take it easy on ya.”

“Gee, thanks,” Darren replied with a roll of his eyes. “Seriously, though. Do you really think this is going to work?”

“We both know how much she wants to get out of Clinton,” Lance said, briefly closing his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose. “We both also know how important music is to her. If it wasn’t for her dad she’d probably be out doing what she’s always wanted to be doing.”

“I wouldn’t write Mr. Carr off right quick, boys.”

Lance scrunched up his face before turning to face his dad, who he had forgot was decorating the other side of the Christmas tree. James stepped out from the back of the tree, carefully laying his string of Christmas lights. He kept his eyes on the tree for a moment before turning towards the two boys.

“Man has his reasons for not wanting his daughter to get into the business,” James continued, crossing his arms over his chest. “In fact, James, I seem to remember we had concerns for you before you went off to Florida.” Lance silently exchanged glances with Darren. “There’re just some things you boys shouldn’t be messin’ with, an’ this is one of those times.”

“With all due respect, sir,” Darren spoke up, scratching the back of his neck, “we’ve always heard rumors ‘bout what happened, but we don’ know for sure.”

“Cause it ain’t none of yer business,” James replied, moving from the tree to sit down on the couch. “Boys, come and sit.”He reached out a hand and tapped the oak table that sat in front of him. Lance looked over at Darren a second time before doing as his dad had asked, moving to sit down on the table in front of him. “Now, what’s this plan the two of ya are cookin’ up?”

“Uhhhh,” Darren stalled.

“Naw, now don’t start clammin’ up on me now,” James said with a shake of his head. He gave a small laugh, rubbing at his jaw with his fingers. “Now, the two’a you used to get into loads of trouble and I would just let it go.”

“You’d let it go to mom,” Lance said and James merely shrugged. “Besides, that was never my fault. It was always D and Ace.” Darren elbowed him in the side.

“Way I see it, you were always there to try and stop the two of ‘em from bickerin’ and to keep the peace, so you’re just as big an accomplice,” James said with a little laugh. Lance closed his mouth, bobbing his head back and forth. “So, what’s this plan?”

“The bass player of our touring band is leaving after the tour ends and Johnny asked us to look for someone to audition to replace them,” Lance replied.

“And you want to record Annaleigh playing to give to Johnny to give her a chance,” James finished for his son, nodding his head. “What if I told you boys that Ryan has a pretty damn good reason as to not want her daughter to take part in the music. Now, I’m tellin’ you two with the most confidence that you won’t tell her and that you won’t tell your mom-“ he looked over at Lance, before turning his gaze to Darren, “or your parents, that I told you.”

“What is it, dad?” Lance asked. Darren pulled a knee to his chest, wrapping his arms around his leg, resting his chin on his knee.

“When Ryan and Caroline were pregnant with Annaleigh, he was really into music at the time,” James replied, letting out a long sigh through his nose. “He had a band at the time, and thought music was more important than her pregnancy. That’s not to say he wouldn’t be there for her when Caroline gave birth and he was. Problem was, he was trying to hold off on being a parent for as long as he could so he really got into the music lifestyle. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll as they say. He had’n affair with another woman and got her pregnant while on the road. Caroline was about a month pregnant at this time.”

Lance felt the breath he didn’t realize he was holding rush out of him. His chest deflated and his eyes darted around the room, his mind swirling. He looked over at Darren out of the corner of his eyes, and saw that his face was set into a deep frown.

“She has a half-brother,” James continued and Lance felt his jaw drop. “And she was, actually supposed to have a baby brother or sister from Caroline and Ryan, but Caroline had a miscarriage. They stopped tryin’ after that. Anyway, after Caroline found out about Ryan’s affair, they had nearly been broken apart without any way to reconcile, but it was obvious the two of ‘em have a deep connection, and a deep love for each other. The two of them wanted to make it work.”

“But, lately, she’s been calling…the mother to Annaleigh’s half-brother. Demanding all the child support he had never paid for. He had just wanted to forget about his past mistakes, they both did. While he reassured her that he was doing his duty by her, he just wanted to forget about her. They both did. They never told Annaleigh about her, and the more her interest in music grew, the more tense the two of them had become around each other. It’s why they were always fighting. They couldn’t ever address their problems, they just wanted it all to go away.”

“This summer, Caroline left them out of the blue after a visit from the woman Ryan had had an affair with. Annaleigh was with you, Darren, helping you pack to head out to Ole Miss.” Lance looked over at his friend and watched as Darren made a face, but didn’t say anything. “Two of ‘em just couldn’t handle all the arguments and keeping their secret from Annaleigh. Caroline felt that she had the right to leave since she was the one who had been, uh, according to her, screwed over. She had come over here before she left to explain everything and to hope that we’d look out for her and make sure that she was ok.”

“She never got an explanation for it; she was there when she left home and gone when she got back. It was hard on her, and Ryan didn’t have much of an explanation for her. His way of dealing with it was working more, and the more Anna was alone, since, at this point Jasmine went off to MSA, she did everything she could to not be so lonely. She focused on school, soccer, singing, work, anything she could do to be around people so she wouldn’t have that time being lonely. Although, that ain’t the first time she felt that way. That’s why she had grown attached to you, Darren, a little bit after Lance had gone to work with *NSYNC.”

“Then Ryan had gone and hurt himself at work. He says it was an accident, but a part of me wonders if he gone and done it on purpose. To see if Caroline would come back after knowing how much Annaleigh was going through just to be sure that the bills were paid, to see if she would come back. If not for him, but for her. Now, I hadn’t asked him that, but I can assume all the same. Jus’ like I’m assumin’ that the reason he had turned around and started to live by the word of God those few years ago, to teach his meaning to students, was to try and give himself a new slate. Thing is, this wasn’t about either of ‘em, it was always about their daughter. Unfortunately, neither of ‘em can see that.”

“Annaleigh thinks she’s the reason why her parents split up and in a way, she’s right. She’s always wanted to get out of Clinton, to get away from her parents arguing, and to get away from the guilt that she was the reason why they was always fightin’ and now it’s that guilt that’s keepin’ her here. She couldn’t leave her dad alone knowin’ that he couldn’t do much for himself. An’ he doesn’t want her to leave to go out and find out about his past without him telling her first.”

James looked back and forth between the two boys before letting out a heavy sigh. “Now remember, y’all both promised not to tell anyone ‘bout this,” James said, looking back and forth between the two of them. He then focused his attention on Lance. “Your mom will downright do me in if she finds out I let you know ‘bout this.” Lance nodded his head, licking his lips.

“D’you think it’s a good idea, dad?” Lance asked.

“Between us men, yes, I do think what you’re doing is a good idea,” James replied and Lance felt himself smile. “I believe you’re both goin’ ‘bout it the wrong way, but I think what you’re doin’ is  good idea. ‘Course, you’re facin’ the repercussion from not only Annaleigh, but from Ryan, and Diane if she finds out. The thing is, I’m proud of the two’a you, always lookin’ out for her. Lance, I also know that this is a way fer you and Annaleigh to build up your friendship again, but the thing is, y’all need to give her room to find out what it is that she wants to do for herself.”

Lance opened his mouth, but stopped when he heard noise above his head. He heard the thud of footsteps heading out of the room and then down the stairs before Annaleigh appeared around the corner. Lance felt a smile come to his face as he got to his feet to greet her.

“Did you come in through the window?” he asked, stepping towards her, opening his arms for a hug. Annaleigh gave him an odd look, quirking an eyebrow.

“Tree’s still out there ain’t it?” she asked, before stepping into his arms, giving him a quick hug. She then stepped back away from him and clapped her hands together. She looked over at Darren, then at his dad, and then back at Lance. “So…we going caroling or what?” She gave a half smile. “It’s tradition, right?”

“Right,” Lance agreed with a nod, smiling in return.

 

 

 

End Notes:
Again, I'm sorry for the delay with this chapter. I hope you guys enjoyed it.
We Wish You a Merry Christmas (Part III) by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Annaleigh asks her dad what happened with his marriage and Darren and Lance tells Annaleigh about the *NSYNC auditions.

December 25th, 1999

Clinton, Mississippi 

"It's snowin'!”

Annaleigh adjusted the strap to her dress before turning away from the mirror to watch as her dad hobbled down the hallway on his crutches. She laughed lightly before turning to face him. “How does this look, dad?”

“You look beautiful, Sweet Pea,” Ryan replied.

“You said that for everything I tried on,” Annaleigh said with a bit of a pout as she put her hands on her hips. Ryan leaned against the door frame, removing the crutches from underneath his arms, gently putting his cast covered foot onto the floor.

“It’s all true, darlin’,” Ryan replied, an amused look coming to his face. “You looked beautiful in everythin’ you tried on.” Annaleigh couldn’t help but smile as she stepped forward to give him a hug. Ryan kissed the top of her head, blancingo n his one good foot to hug his daughter. “You look more ‘n’ more like your mother every day.”

“Has she called, yet?” Annaleigh asked, pushing up onto the balls of her feet, a hopeful look crossing her face. “Has mom called?”

“No, not yet, sweetie,” Ryan replied. His face contorted into a slight look of pain as Annaleigh seemed to deflate, falling back onto the flat of her feet, her shoulders slumping. “She’ll call, she always does.”

“Yeah,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head, trying to put a smile to her face. But, she’s always calling later and later than she says she will. “I just don’t want to miss her.”

“I know, sweetie, I know,” Ryan replied, reaching out a hand to pat her hair. She took a step away from him and he arched an eyebrow.

“Don’t mess up my hair,” she said with a frown and Ryan let out a short laugh of amusement. “Jazzy’s already going to comment on it, I don’t need you to mess it up.”

“You really are just like your mother,” Ryan commented, sticking his crutches back under his arms. Annaleigh’s frown deepened when she saw the light dim from his eyes.

“Daddy,” she said quietly.

“You go on an’ finish getting’ ready,” Ryan said, pointing one of his crutches in her direction. “I’ll be waitin’ downstairs.” Annaleigh twisted her mouth to the side. “Don’t forget you big coat.”

“Sure, dad,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head.

Ryan gave her a closed lip smile before reaching out to grasp the doorknob, pulling the door shut. Annaleigh twisted her fingers together before dropping her arms down to her sides, moving to sit on the side of her bed. She looked over at her nightstand as a sigh slipped past her lips. She had two pictures on her dresser, one of her and her mom and one of her and her dad.

Both pictures were taken when she was still a kid. The picture of her and her mom was done in black and white; it was a close of up of the profiles of their faces as they sat facing each other, smiling, eyes closed as they touched noses. The picture of he and her dad was done in color; he had his hands clasped behind his back, bending at the waist, allowing his tie to drop down in front of Annaleigh, who was smiling up at him as she fixed his tie for him.

She couldn’t remember the last time she had even seen a picture of their whole family together. The day she had come home from helping Darren pack and head off to University of Mississippi, all family pictures were taken down, and her mom’s belongings were already out in the front hall in boxes. People sure weren’t kidding when they said that they could do a lot when fueled by anger. It was like he wanted to just get her out of his life.

Not that she could really blame him; her mom did just up and leave. That was the ultimate betrayal and against Matthew 19:16’s scripture. When getting married, the two become one person, one force, one spiritual entity that couldn’t be split. Annaleigh remembered one picture of her parents on their wedding day. It hung in the living room, above the stereo cabinet, with her mom’s vow:

My husband and I are best friends first and foremost. We fight like cat and dogs, but never stay mad for long. I was lucky to find him. He is, in every way, my soul mate.”

“Yeah, right,” she thought to herself, as she reached underneath her bed for her shoes. She quickly bypassed the heels and reached for her flats, slipping them onto her feet. She looked over at the nightstand towards the phone. “Come on, ring! Ring!”

She stared at the phone for a moment before getting to her feet. She smoothed out her dress with her red and green (with white tipped) fingernails before heading into her closet to grab her coat. She pulled it off the hangar and wrapped it in her arms before making her way out of her room. She flicked off the light before making her way down the stairs.

“Alright, dad, let’s get goin’,” she called. “It might start snowin’ harder while we’re out and I don’ wanna get stuck in ice.” She slid her arms in through her coat before freeing her hair from between her back and her coat.

“Not like you wouldn’ know what to do to get the car out,” Ryan replied and Annaleigh gave him a curious look. “Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’ I haveta pick you up from the Dale’s house because you were caught doin’ doughnuts on the icy back roads a couple of months ago?” Ryan asked as he hobbled towards the front door, pausing to adjust his coat and the hat on his head.

“It was Darren’s idea,” Annaleigh replied, her eyes widening slightly. She then laughed a little bit. “You never once stopped to think how I learned how to drive without you, did you?” Annaleigh asked, giving her dad a sweet smile. “Trust me, that’s not the worst thing I’ve done.” Ryan briefly closed his eyes, shaking his head.

“I don’ think I want to know anything else,” he said, shaking his head back and forth. “At least not now.” His crutches squeaked as he made his way towards the door. “You’re still goin’ to the Dale’s afterwards? Do you have a change of clothes? Gifts?”

“It’s already in the car,” Annaleigh replied, grabbing the keys off the hook sitting by the closet door. “Purse please,” she said with a smile, holding out her hand. Ryan reached behind the closet door and retrieved a small black purse, handing it to her. “Thank you.”

She gave her dad a bright smile before unlocking the front door, pulling it open. She pushed open the storm door and helped guide him out before turning the light off in the foyer. She closed and locked the door behind them before following behind him to the car. She unlocked the car, opened the door for him, helping him inside.

She then hurried around the front of the car and got into the driver’s seat. Minutes later, they were on their way towards the church. Ryan lifted a hand to reach for the radio, turning up the volume of the Christmas song that was playing. Annaleigh looked over at her dad as she drove.

“I invited mom to come,” she said to break the silence. She watched as Ryan’s shoulders shifted towards his ears as his chest swelled, sucking in a deep breath of air. He let it out in a rush of air before lifting his hand to scratch the back of his neck. “Do you think she’ll come?”

“We’ll see,” Ryan replied. “She hasn’t missed one but…she’s been missing a lot of stuff since she left.”

“Dad—“

“I’m just saying, in between the time she threw the coffee pot at my head and peeling away in her car, she said that she would still be around for you, but she hasn’t shown up once,” Ryan replied in a tight voice. “Not to mention she’s barely called. She hasn’t even asked how you were doing.”

“How’re you doin’, dad?” Annaleigh asked as she pressed her foot to the brake pedal, stopping the car at a red light. “With everything?”

“Honestly?” Ryan asked and Annaleigh nodded her head. “Can’t say that I didn’ see it comin’, we’ve been fightin’ enough.” He scratched at the side of his jaw and Annaleigh ran a hand over her face, resting her elbow on the side of the driver’s seat door.

“You always fought though,” Annaleigh muttered, glancing upwards as the light turned green. “Like, all the time. It’s all I remember.” Ryan made a humming sound in the back of his throat. “Did you just stop loving her?”

“….I still love her,” Ryan replied after a moment of silence. “I just don’t know if she still loves me and if she doesn’t…when exactly she stopped.”

A cold wave washed over Annaleigh, chilling her faster than any slush or ice that could soak through her socks, or by any slush ball that could be thrown at her. Those words came out sounding so defeated, so down, so unlike him, that it scared her. She never really knew what was wrong with her parents, or why they fought, she just did whatever she could to stop the two of them from arguing as much as she could.

“I’m sorry, sweetie, I didn’t mean to-“

“No worries, daddy, I was the one who asked,” Annaleigh interrupted him, giving him a small smile. Ryan reached over and patted her hand, giving her a smile in return.

“I know I say this a lot, but you really are a lot like her,” Ryan said to her.

“Question is dad…do I really want to be?” Annaleigh asked. Ryan let out a heavy sigh setting his jaw. “No, I’m serious, dad. If she put ya through this much pain, maybe I don’ wanna be like her.” She tightened her grip on the steering wheel and Ryan pulled his hand back. He rested his elbow on the arm rest of his seat and rubbed his forehead. “I wouldn’ ever abandon my family. Why get married if you’re jus’ goin’ ta do that?”

She glanced over at her dad when he didn’t say anything. She put her eyes back on the road, reaching for the windshield wipers, turning them on as snowflakes started to drop onto the windshield. Smears of water slid back and forth across the glass, momentarily distorting her vision.

“Your mother loves you, Anna, you know that,” Ryan said. He opened and closed his mouth for a moment. Annaleigh glanced over at him as she reached for the knob to turn up the heat in the car, angling one of the vents towards him. “You didn’t do anything wrong, I did.”

“What does that mean?” Annaleigh asked, quietly.

Ryan let out a heavy sigh through his nose, a pained expression crossing his face for a moment. “I’ll tell you when you’re older,” he replied.

Annaleigh let out an odd laugh as she swung her hand up to turn on the turning single. She slowed the car before turning into the parking lot of the lit up church. She slowly pulled into the parking lot, pulling up into a space, before turning off the phone.

“Oh my stars, dad, I’m seventeen years old, how much older do I have ta be?” she asked, jabbing her thumb into the button to release her seatbelt.

“You better not be takin’ that tone wit me, young lady,” Ryan said, hiking an eyebrow as he rolled his head to look at her. “I may be injured, but I’m still your father an’ I won’t have you talkin’ to me that way.” He released his seat belt from around him and allowed it to slide up his chest before he reached for the car door.

“Sorry, daddy,” Annaleigh replied, running her fingers through her hair. “Do you want me to help?”

“No, I’m ok, Sweet Pea,” Ryan replied, spinning in his seat to swing his legs outside of the car. He reached for the crutches and set them down onto the gravel outside of the car. “You go on and find your friends. This is your night and I don’ wanna ruin it for you.” Annaleigh sat in the car, watching as he adjusted the large sock covering his cast covered foot.

Annaleigh slumped back in her seat, running a hand over her face. The car creaked as Ryan slowly pushed himself to his feet. He slammed the door shut behind him and adjusted his coat and hat before starting to maneuver around the car. Annaleigh reached for her purse and slid the strap over her shoulder, getting out of the car as well.

She slammed the car door shut behind er before locking the doors. She put her keys in her purse before hurrying after her dad, falling into step beside him. She grasped at his elbow and smiled up at him. Ryan smiled back and laughed a little bit before pausing to kiss the top of her head.

“Unfortunately, I think you got your stubbornness from me,” he said to her as they slowly made their way across the slushy parking lot.

Just like that everything was ok between the two of them or at least as ok as they wanted to feel about the situation. It was the most that Annaleigh was able to get out of his dad regarding her mom leaving, and seeing how quickly that conversation turned, she wasn’t going to try and push it.

In short, it sucked.

Watch out!

Don’t hit Mr. Carr.

Pleasure seein’ ya, sir.”

Snowballs went flying back and forth across the parking lot as little kids ran around the parking lot, throwing snowballs at each other and sliding down mountains of snow that was cleared from the parking lot and piled around light poles.  Despite the chill that hung in the air, the kids were running around without hats, gloves, or coats, enjoying the snowfall before the service was to start.

Annaleigh pulled open to the door and was met with a blast of warm air. Organ music playing upbeat Christmas songs vibrated through the walls and the floor of the church as the congregation milled in the lobby, hanging up coats and greeting others.

Little kids ran around shrieking, holding stuffed animals, talking about Santa, or munching on small cups of Cheese-itz. Through the doors leading to the pews, Annaleigh could see a group of girls giggling, pretending to ignore the group of boys who stood a few feet away from them, talking to each other.

Annaleigh shrugged off her coat, folding it in her arms, waiting for her turn to put her coat up in the closet.

“Annaleigh!”

“Hey, Jazzy,” Annaleigh said with a smile as Jasmine hurried towards her. Ryan gently tugged her coat from her arms before hobbling towards the closet. A man hurried to his side to help him put the coats up and Ryan gave the man a nod of thanks. But, Annaleigh knew her dad; he was too proud to have anybody help him with something he felt he could do himself. Annaleigh turned back to her friend. “You look great!”

 Annaleigh looked her friend up and down. With a short red dress, cinched at the waist, black heeled boots to go with the outfit, and her hair pulled into a side ponytail, she looked perfect as usual if not a little dressed up. Annaleigh looked down at her simple gray dress with white capped sleeves, leggings, and boots, reaching a hand up to touch her hair.

“Shoot, so do you,” Jasmine replied with a smile before turning towards Ryan, lifting a hand, wiggling hr fingers in a way. “Merry Christmas, Mr. Carr. How are you doin’?”

“Mighty fine, thank ya kindly,” Ryan replied with a nod of his head before gently nudging Annaleigh with his crutch. “I’m goin’ ta find some seats, Sweet Pea. Take your time, but don’t be late for the invocation.”

“I won’t,” Annaleigh replied and Jasmine looped her arm through her friend’s, pulling her through the church. “Loosen your grip, Jazz.”

“I’m just so excited,” Jasmine replied with a smile, tossing her braid off her shoulder. “It’s Christmas, I’m not in school, New Year’s is ‘round the corner, and this place finally has some cute boys attendin’.”

“Don’ let your brother hear you say that,” Annaleigh replied. She then took the time to look around the pews, trying to spot the boy that she had just mentioned. Jasmine clicked her tongue.

“Shoot, not like he isn’t one of the ones you think is cute,” Jasmine replied, hiking her eyebrow as she turned back towards her friend. “Oooh, you’re blushing.”

“I’m not blushing, it’s hot in here ‘cause of the candles,” Annaleigh replied, trying to keep the muscles in her face from shifting and moving to make a face as she heard how lame her excuse was. There were candles sitting in the windows of the church, and some congregants were carrying candles as well.

“Mmmmhmmmm,” Jasmine replied, the corners of her lips twitching up into a smile. She then hit her friend on the shoulder. “Has your mom called? You said you invited her.”

“No, not yet,” Annaleigh replied with a shake of her head, picking at her fingernails. “She said she’d call one way or another, so…” She gave a shrug. “Looks like it’s going to be to tell me she’s missing it.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Jasmine said with a frown, her brown eyes filling with worry as she stepped forward to give her friend a hug. “That sucks, Ace. You’re still comin’ to our place after service, right?”

“Yeah, I’m commin’,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head. “And miss your mom’s homemade eggnog? Yeah, right!”

“Right, that’s the only thing you don’t wanna miss,” Jasmine said, a knowing look coming to her face. Annaleigh couldn’t help but laugh. Jasmine then turned towards Lance and Darren as the two boys came towards them. Annaleigh lifted a hand and quickly fixed her hair, gently patting the large claw hair clip that held her hair to the back of her head. “Well, you two sure do clean up nicely.”

“Thanks, Jazzy,” Darren replied with a roll of his eyes.

“You look great,” Lance said, smiling over at Annaleigh.

“Thanks,” Annaleigh replied quietly. She arched an eyebrow as she looked him up and down. “You don’ look too bad yourself, although, it wouldn’ surprise me if you were so used to the costumes you wear on stage.” Lance gave a small shrug before adjusting the tie that sat over his button down shirt.

“Kinda,” he replied. “You know me, I’m not too fond’a dressin’ up.” He then exchanged glances with Darren who gave a nod of his head. “So, we, uh, have a Christmas gift for you.”

“Hey, we don’t open exchanged gifts until after service,” Jasmine said with a deep frown. Annaleigh could just tell that Jasmine didn’t want to be left out, but she did have a point, it was tradition.

After Christmas service, they’d all go to Darren’s place to change, exchange gifts with each other and Lance and Annaleigh would spend the night. Just like they always went caroling on Christmas Eve and spent the evening at Lance’s house, and they spent New Year’s Eve at Annaleigh’s.

She angled her head to the side, her eyes widening slightly. She gave the two boys a pointed look, her perfectly shaped eyebrows inching towards her hairline. “Maybe she’ll want it after,” she said.

“A gift’s a gift,” Annaleigh said, giving her friend an odd look before holding out her hands. She then gave the two boys a smile. “What is it?”

“It’s…not somethin’ you can hold,” Darren slowly replied, exchanging another look with Lance.

“Ok…” Annaleigh replied as more of a question than a statement.

Lance sucked in a breath of air before clapping his hands together, taking a step forward. “After this month is over, *NSYNC’s bass player is leaving the tour,” Lance explained and Annaleigh gave a nod of her head. “Johnny has another bass player lined up to finish the tour, but he’s looking for someone to take the job full time. D and I know, well D more than I do, that things have been kinda hard for you lately, and we know how much you’ve wanted to get out of Clinton to pursue your music, so…we were thinkin’ of recording your bass playin’ tonight to send to Johnny.”

“Kind of like your own audition,” Darren finished and Lance gave a nod of his head.

Annaleigh’s jaw dropped as the words sunk in. Play the bass? For *NSYNC? she thought to herself. “I-I’ve barely played the bass,” she managed to get out. “I barely know how to play.”

“You know Mr. Ellis would have no problem workin’ with ya,” Darren added and Annaleigh’s gaze shifted towards him. “You know…kind of a leg up.”

Annaleigh couldn’t deny that the opportunity was too good to miss; but she didn’t know what to do. There were so many pros and cons, not to mention the fact that she was blindsided by the news. That wasn’t new to her, just like the news about her mom, this news came out of nowhere, and could change her life for better or for worse.

On one hand, it was an exciting idea, and Lance was right, she had always wanted to get out of Clinton. She always wanted to be known for her music, and to do something with her life. The main thing was that she could finally get away from the tension in the house. She’d have something to do instead of wait for school to be over to hurry home and see if her mom had called. All she’d have to do is convince her dad to let her go.

And that was the other problem.

On the other hand, she just couldn’t up and leave, not at this point in her life. Yes, the pay would help in regards to all the bills that were stacking up and she wouldn’t have to worry about working at Ole Miss, but her dad needed her. She didn’t know what he’d do alone and injured. Since her mom left, they needed each other; they were each other’s support system. He was one of her best friends.

“What do you think?” Lance asked.

“I told you not to tell her until after,” Jasmine said in the wake of Annaleigh’s silence. Annaleigh flickered her eyes towards her friend.

“You knew about this, too?” Annaleigh asked her friend.

“Ummm,” Jasmine said, looking over at her brother, silently asking for help before chewing on the bottom of her lip. “Kind of?”

“And you didn’t think to tell me at all?” Annaleigh asked her. Jasmine stayed silent, lifting a hand to twirl a lock of hair around her finger, rocking back and forth on the heels of her boots, her dance background allowing her to keep her balance. “You want to know what I think about it? I think it sucks and you should’ve told me about it before.”

Annaleigh then turned on her heels and made her way through the pews, keeping her head on a swivel to find her dad, dropping down next to him, causing him to jump at the sudden movement. She crossed one leg over the other, crossing her arms tightly over her chest.

“What’s wrong?” Ryan asked.

Nothin’,” Annaleigh snapped.

“Doesn’t sound like nothin’,” Ryan replied, reaching into the small compartment that held the hymnal and the bible, passing her a hymnal. Annaleigh made a noise in the back of her throat. “Sweet Pea, the last time you were this mad, Darren and Lance made that fort by the creek and wouldn’t let you and Jazzy in. So, what’d they do?”

Annaleigh stayed silent, bouncing her foot. She sucked in a breath of air through her nose, tightening her jaw before allowing her shoulders to slump. “Do you think I could go far with my music?” she asked, turning her head to look at him.

“I always thought you’d be a great music teacher,” Ryan replied and Annaleigh slowly nodded her head. “You always came home talking about how much you loved working with the kids and you’re great with them.” He motioned towards the couple of pews in front of him which were holding the kids who were going to be performing later on. “Even now, I’ve had so many people come up to me to tell me how much their kids have loved working with you.”

And she loved working with the kids, too. They said whatever it was that was on their mind, and didn’t care if they looked or acted stupid as long as they were able to put a smile on her face. For a half hour after school, helping them prepare for the performance, it took her mind off of everything. She could see herself being a music teacher, but she didn’t know if that was what she really wanted to do.

“Is that it?” Annaleigh asked.

“You could do a lot of things, Sweet Pea,” Ryan replied with a shrug. “You could be a music producer, or you could be a session musician, or you could compose, if you work on your singing, you could be a demo singer, a whole lot of things.”

“What about…a traveling musician?” Annaleigh asked and Ryan’s eyebrows shot up. “Like, you know, in a band?” Ryan let out a heavy sigh. “I know we’ve been through this before, but Lance told me—“

“Anna, I have good reason as to why I don’t think you should strive to be a famous musician,” Ryan said, interrupting her. “I’ve been there, it’s long hours, barely any time to sleep, a demanding schedule, you’re not home, you have to perform all the time, long rehearsal hours…there are too many temptations I don’t think you’re ready for.” He then lifted his foot and gently knocked on his cast. “Maybe if I wasn’t injured…”

Whatever you say, dad, Annaleigh thought to herself allowing the conversation to drop as the pastor stepped up to the front of the church to start the service. She uncrossed her arms, holding the hymnal to her lap, tapping the top of it with her fingernails.

She knew she may have overreacted to the news her friends had dropped on her, and she knew that they were just looking out for her, like her dad was doing. But, that was just it. All her life she had people looking out for her, deciding things for her; who she would stay with when her mom left, what she could do with music, or couldn’t do as the case may be, and whether or not she wanted to audition for *NSYNC, and she was fed up with it.

She was going to take matters into her own hands.

 

 

End Notes:
So, this took a long time to do because I kept getting a whole bunch of different ideas for this chapter, but I think this one worked out the best.

Right now, I’m planning on one more chapter being Christmas/New Year’s related, but it might also finally move into the next part of the story as this (and Card Castle) is an introduction to the main plot of the story.

Sorry for the delay with this chapter. I had lost a bit of inspiration with my stories for a bit, but I've got it back, now! :)
Sure Feels Right by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
New Year's in Mississippi and Hawaii.

December 31st, 1999

Clinton, Mississippi


 “We have to get goin’ soon,” Annaleigh said to Jasmine as she dropped down onto the blanket covered rock beside her, a beer bottle in her hand. “If we wanta be back to ring in the New Year with everybody.” She held her hands out towards the fire that blazed in front of her, heating the two of them despite the cold weather around them.

“Relax, it’s New Year’s Eve, you should be celebratin’,” Jasmine said with a smile. She lifted a hand in a wave as some Sumner Hill Junior High students walked past them, blowing into party horns, glow sticks hanging from around their necks. “Or is this about Lance?”

Annaleigh pressed her lips to the mouth of the bottle, tilting her head back to allow the amber liquid to slide down the back of her throat. Her throat burned and her eyes watered slightly as the alcohol hit her senses. “Why would it be about Lance?” she asked as she lowered the bottle.

They were spending their New Year’s at the fire tower along with many other Sumner Junior High and Clinton High students. There were various bonfires around the clearing. Cars were parked along the trees, doors open to blast loud country music. Glow bracelets, necklace, and sticks were handed out to everybody as they arrived.

“Maybe because you guys got inta an argument before he left to finish out his tour?” Jasmine replied, hiking an eyebrow. “It’s a new year, Ace, why don’t you try and start things over? We’re entering the new mi-len-i-um join the ride. At least call him.”

“A call one New Year’s isn’t goin’ to help anythin’,” Annaleigh protested.

“So, let me get this straight,” Jasmine said, rolling her shoulders. “After the *NSYNC showcase, he went off to Germany to pursue his dream, became bigger than what any of us thought they’d be, and you’re mad about that?”

“No, I’m-“

“You’re mad because with his success he was so busy he couldn’ stay in contact with you?”

“That’s not it-“

“Ok, so you’re mad that he was trying to fulfill your dreams by getting’ you an audition to be part of his travellin’ band,” Jasmine continued, tapping her finger nails against the dark bottle in her hand. Annaleigh tried to talk over her again but Jasmine practically shoved the beer bottle into her mouth to stop her.

“God, damn it, Jazzy, I think you chipped my tooth,” Annaleigh said as she grasped the bottle in her hand, running her tongue over her top row of teeth.

“So, what’s the problem?” Jasmine asked, ignoring Annaleigh’s complaint, throwing her hands into the air. “You know you want ta get outta Clinton, he knows you want ta get outta of Clinton, and the minute he managed ta give you that shot, you get mad at ‘im.”

“Why are you makin’ me sound like the bad guy?” Annaleigh asked before lifting the beer bottle back to her lips.

“Girl, I love you, and you’re my best friend, and I’ve always admired how proud ya can be,” Jasmine said, shifting in her seat to face Annaleigh, “but you can be pretty damn stubborn.”

“Like that’s anythin’ new,” Annaleigh commented and the two of them laughed. She took a long swig from the bottle, licking her lips. “I’m stubborn ‘cause for as long as I can remember, while my parents fought, I did everythin’ for myself. So, it’s weird to have someone else do something for me.”

Jasmine made a noise in the back of her throat before smiling as she recognized a tune that started playing into the clearing, encouraged by cheers from the students. “Oh, I love this song! I’m going to go dance.”

Before Annaleigh could say anything else, she jumped to her feet and skipped over towards the group of teenagers who started to dance along to the song, screaming the lyrics at the top of their lungs. Annaleigh bopped her head from side to side along to the beat of the music, tapping her feet on the ground.

She watched the teenagers dance in a giant group, drink happily with each other, and run around with sparklers as they enjoyed themselves, bringing in the New Year, and the new millennium with as good a time as they could. While she was having fun, she did wonder what Lance was doing at the time. Was he getting ready for the show? Hanging out in the dressing room with JC, Justin, Chris, and Joey?

She, Darren, and Jasmine went to the *NSYNC concert in Biloxi, Mississippi, and she and Darren went to the show in Jackson, Mississippi and she couldn’t deny that Lance was meant to be on stage. She would never forget her time at either of those concerts; especially how long her ears rang after the concert. It was…magical.  She was happy for Lance and she always would be.

“You ok?” She looked up at Darren as he stepped over the log to sit down next to her. “You don’t look like you’re having much fun.” He quirked an eyebrow when he didn’t get an answer. “Still not talking to me, huh?” He stretched his legs out in front of him, crossing one over the other. “I don’t think you should be mad at us, I think you should be mad at yourself.”

“For what?” Annaleigh asked, her eyebrows shooting up. She looked up when another firework was shot off; bathing the two of them in a bright, white light.

“For being scared,” Darren replied with a shrug before lifting the bottle in his hands to his mouth. He took a few gulps before he lowered it, grasping it by the mouth of the bottle. He barely flinched when Annaleigh curled her hand into a fist, punching his thigh.

“I’m not scared of anythin’,” she said, to him.

“You can go creek stomping, mudding, and racing with the best of them, I’m not denying that,” Darren replied, putting his hand in the air. “You’re scared of what you don’ know. Liiike; why your parents fight, the bass audition, it’s why you won’t take the initiative and call your mom instead of waiting for her to call you, why you never told me you liked me-“

“I didn’t tell you because I don’t want ta be like my parents,” Annaleigh replied and Darren instantly stopped talking, giving her a curious look. “I couldn’t even tell ya if they still love each other or when they fell out of love, or if they just hate each other or what, but I don’t tell people that I like, that I like them because I don’t want ta end up like them.”

“What makes ya think we would’ve ended up like that?” Darren asked, his eyebrows knitting together into a look of confusion.

“We already are like that,” Annaleigh replied. “Taking digs at each other, arguing, it’s all we do.”

“Yeah,” Darren agreed with a nod of his head. “But, that’s just us.” He lifted his hand and indicated between the two of them. “It’s what we do. It wouldn’ change if we got together.”

“It’d get worse,” Annaleigh replied with a short laugh, shaking her head. She took a long sip of beer, smacking her lips before lowering the bottle. “It’d be more personal ‘n’ anythin’ would be fair game.  don’ mean to push you away, but it’s just…the insults are the only way to know I can make sure that doesn’ happen.”

“Stoppin’ yourself from being happy?” Darren asked. “That will make you happy?” Annaleigh stayed silent, shifting her gaze to peer into the fire in front of her. He reached out a hand and tapped her shoulder.  “It’s your turn.”

“Did you seriously just say that?” she asked him, her eyebrows shooting up.

“Yes, I seriously just did,” Darren replied with a nod.

“You’re actually tellin’ me when it’s my turn ta argue with you?” Annaleigh asked, pointing a light blue covered finger nail from her before prodding his jean clad thigh. “You’re such a loser, D.”

“Takes one ta know one, Kid,” Darren replied, making his voice as high pitched as he could get it.

“I hate it when you call me that,” Annaleigh said with, practically pouting as she kicked at the ground with her shoe.

“Why do you think I do it?” Darren asked with a pointed look and a smile. “Ace, you know it was hard for him ta leave after Christmas knowin’ you were mad at ‘im. We were jus’ tryin’ to help. You can’t fault us for that.”

“Can I fault you for bein’ right?” Annaleigh asked, her upper lip curling slightly.

“No,” Darren replied, smiling again, “but now I know I can gloat ‘bout it.” The corners of Annaleigh’s lips twitched upwards into a smile. “You’ll be great at that audition, you always are.”

 “Jus’ need to convince my dad to let me go.” Annaleigh lifted a hand and curled her fingers into a fist before punching his shoulder. “Just don’ gloat too or much or your head will get bigger than it already is.” She gave him a cheeky smile. “Might not like you as much anymore.”

“Why do you like me?” Darren asked, sliding his hands into the back pockets of his jeans. Annaleigh set down her bottle before turning to face him.

“Dimples,” she replied setting her hands in her lap. Her smile widened. “You better be nice to me or I’ll find someone in Orlando with dimples.”

“…I hope you don’t,” Darren replied.

“Yeah, right, like I could forget you,” Annaleigh replied with a roll of her eyes. Darren swirled the liquid in the bottle in his hands. He made a popping sound with his mouth before peering at her, holding out his bottle towards her.

“Cheers,” Annaleigh said, tapping her bottle against his, but she didn’t take a drink.

“You ready to go?” Darren asked after a moment of silence. Annaleigh nodded her head. “How much have you had to drink?”

“Like, six swallows,” Annaleigh replied, her nose wrinkling as she thought. She set her beer bottle on the ground, wiping her hands on her jeans. She held her hand out towards him and Darren reached into his pocket and retrieved his car keys, slapping them into her palm. “Go find Jazz, I’ll be right here.”

“Until you go to Orlando you mean,” Darren replied.

“Hey, you were the one who abandoned me for Ole Miss University,” Annaleigh pointed out to him, pointing his keys in his face. A hint of a smile came to her face. “Thought I could have some peace and quiet and then you came right on back right after mom left. Buuuut, I guess, I should thank you. For everythin’. So…yeah.”

“You’re welcome,” Darren replied. “You know Lance asked about you a lot. I didn’ tell him ‘bout your mom then, but his mom told him once he got back for Christmas.”

“Not surprised,” Annaleigh replied, her mouth twitching to the side, slightly. “I would’ve told him, but, I didn’ want to bring down what he was doin’ over there. I didn’ want him to be thousands of miles away worrying and not be able ta do anythin’. Or whenever he came ta visit, I didn’ want him ta leave knowin’ he’d be leavin’ this problem behind.”

 “But, you can’t push ‘im out of your life. Not after everythin’ you’ve been through.” Darren’s eyes squinted as he thought. “Or is that just easier for you? You push people away before they can do that to you?” He then patted her knee before getting to his feet. “I’ll go find Jazz.”

“Sure,” Annaleigh replied, quietly. She peered up at him before returning her gaze back towards the fire.

She looked up at Darren when he put a hand on his shoulder and blinked in surprise when he leaned over and pressed his lips to hers in a sweet kiss. An ache formed in the pit of her stomach as her eyes fluttered shut as she kissed him back. As soon as he pulled away, Annaleigh let out a breath of air, bowing her head to hide the smile that worked its way onto her face.

“What was that for?” she asked quietly, bringing up a hand to hide her burning cheek before looking up at him.

“Come on, Ace, its New Year’s,” Darren replied with a hint of a smirk.

Annaleigh looked down at her cell phone, pressing a button on the side to illuminate the front. “It’s not even midnight,” she said to him.

“It is somewhere,” he replied with a shrug before turning on his heels to look for his sister.

Annaleigh moved her hand to cover her mouth, clenching her teeth to stop herself from letting out a squeal. She slid the car keys into her pocket as she got to her feet and started tossing her phone back and forth between her hands. She then paused, looking down at her cell phone before using her thumb to flip it open. The key tones hit the air as she punched in a number, but paused before hitting the green button before lifting it to her ear

“Hi, is my mom, there?” Annaleigh asked, using her free hand to press her finger into her free ear. “Caroline Carr?”

 



Honolulu, Hawaii

Lance stared down at the phone in his hands, silently willing it to ring. He sat back in his seat, slumping slightly as he rested his cell phone on his stomach.

He looked around the concrete room as Justin Timberlake jogged in place, muttering to himself, over at JC Chasez, who was running scales to himself, at Chris Kirkpatrick who was miming through their dance steps, and then over at Joey Fatone who was talking to a girl who had managed to get the chance to come backstage to meet them.

He remembered when they first started out, they were so young, so naïve, and so excited about everything around them, they had no idea that they should be worried about the money they should be making. Not until it was almost too late, anyway. Now they were seventeen (Justin), nineteen (Lance), twenty (Joey), twenty-one (JC), and twenty-six (Chris).

“Come on, ring!” Lance said, lifting his cell phone again, practically screaming into his cell phone.

“Relax, Lance,” Chris said as he stopped what he was doing before making his way over to his friend, dropping into the seat beside him. “I swear, that thing would shit a data brick if it actually had feelings.”

“You’re lovely as usual, Chris,” Lance said with a brief roll of his eyes before turning his head towards the oldest *NSYNC member. 

“Aren’t I, though?” Chris asked with a bright smile and Lance rolled his eyes a second time. “So, you’ve been sitting over here waiting for your phone to ring for the past thirty minutes, when normally, you’re the first to get a hacky in. Waiting for a hot call or something?”

Or something, Lance thought to himself, briefly making a face when Chris punched him on the shoulder before he started laughing. “Waiting for a call from my mom, that’s all,” Lance replied.

“You’re lying,” Chris said, still laughing. “Unless you’re even more Southern than I thought.” Lance made a clicking sound with his tongue. “I’m kidding. Unless it’s some kinky thing you’re into then…”

“Just stop talking,” Lance said in a monotone. “I am waiting for my mom to call, Chris..and my friend, Ace.”

“There we go,” Chris said, nodding his head. “You’ve been distracted since you got back, knew it had to be about a girl.”

No kidding, Lance thought to himself. He looked up as Joey walked over with a blush blonde next to him. She was wearing a homemade *NSYNC t-shirt and really tight jeans. She adjusted her purse on her shoulder, knocking the large hoop earring that hung off her earlobe as she gave them a bright smile.

“Chris, Lance, this is Elizabeth,” Joey said, motioning towards the girl.

“Hi,” Lane said as he got to his feet, sliding his phone into his pocket. He slid his hand into hers and shook her hand. “It’s nice to meet you.”

Very nice to meet you,” Chris said, jumping to his feet to offer Elizabeth his hand. Lance caught Joey’s eye and the two of them hid the smiles that tried to work its way onto their faces. “I’m Chris.”

“Hi,” Elizabeth said, shaking Chris’s hand before turning towards Lance. “So, you’re from Mississippi. So am I?”

“Really?” Lance asked her, blinking in surprise. “Where from?”

“Biloxi,” Elizabeth replied, adjusting her purse a second time. “I’ve been to all of your shows there.” She lifted a hand to brush some of her hair behind her ear. “It’s so great to know that someone from Mississippi can go on and do something this amazing. You, uh, never really hear about people being from there.”

“I know what you mean,” Lance replied, giving her a polite smile. He watched as she messed with her hair a second time and let out a sigh through his nose. She was flirting, that much was obvious to him. It was rare to have any girl that came back stage to not flirt with them.

The two of them continued to talk about life in Mississippi, or rather she did more talking than he did. Nervous talking. At a couple of times during their—arguably one-sided—conversation, he just found himself nodding his head and adding an “Mhm”, “Uh-huh”, and “yeah” every now and then to make it seem like he was still listening. It wasn’t that he wasn’t interested in talking about his life in Mississippi, he loved talking to anybody that would listen about how great Mississippi was, but it was obvious to him when people tried to talk to him about it just as a way to find an “in” with him.

He wasn’t even sure when Joey and Chris had left the conversation, not that he could blame them, but suddenly, Elizabeth was rummaging around in her purse before pulling out an empty gum wrapper and a pen, quickly scribbling down on it.

“I’m really looking forward to your concert tonight,” Elizabeth said, holding the gum wrapper out towards her. “I’d…I don’t know…love to talk about it with you…maybe over ice cream one night?” She winked at him. “Give me a call.”

“Thanks,” Lance replied, taking the gum wrapper. He gave her a smile slowly nodding his head. Elizabeth gave him a small wave before waving at someone over his shoulder before making her way back out of the room.

“So are you going to call her?” Joey asked, rapidly raising and lowering his eyebrows as Lance turned to face him.

“I don’t know,” Lance replied with a sigh, patting his pocket, feeling the outline of his phone. “I don’t think I’m going to.”

“Why not? She’s hot!” Chris said as if that solved everything. “You’re both from the same state so you have something to talk about. Match made in heaven, I’d say.”

“I’m with him,” Joey said, jerking his thumb in Chris’s direction who nodded enthusiastically.

“Just not interested,” Lance replied with a shrug of his shoulders.

Chris paused, a confused, yet playful expression on his face. “What are you gay? You like guys or something?” he asked.

Lance stared at Chris, eyes widening, jaw dropping slightly. His armpits flooded with sweat and a rush of heat suddenly washed over his body. “No!” he finally managed to get out. “Dude!”

“Just asking,” Chris said before he got to his feet, clapping Lance on the shoulder. “I’d jump on the chance to call her. Might’ve been a good time.”

“Yeah, if you want to take her to the McDonald’s Play Place, Pineapple-Head,” Lance quickly cracked and Joey let out a loud laugh, clapping his hands together. “She’s, like, waaay younger than you.”

“He sure told you, Old Man,” Joey said, punching Chris on the shoulder.

“Yeah, yeah,” Chris said getting to his feet, giving Lance the finger. “Probably a good thing anyway, Ronald McDonald might be there.” He indicated Joey who’s hair was dyed a bright red. He stuck his tongue out at Joey. “I’m going to get C and Justin and start a hacky.”

“Don’t worry about him,” Joey said, his laughter subsiding as he crossed one leg over the other, crossing his arms over his chest. “There’s nothing wrong with people who are gay.”

“I’m not gay, Joey,” Lance said to him.

“I know, I’m just saying,” Joey replied with a shrug of his shoulders. He then uncrossed his arms and legs, leaning forward to rest his arms on his knees. “So, are you waiting for a call from Firecracker?”

“Who’s Firecracker?” Lance asked, his nose wrinkling.

“Your friend…Anna, or something like that,” Joey replied, waving his hand in the air.

“Annaleigh?” Lance asked, moving to take Chris’s empty seat and Joey put a finger to his nose. He laughed lightly. “You nicknamed her Firecracker?”

“Well, she is one!” Joey replied, his voice getting a little high pitched as he put his hands up defensively. “She’s the only person I know that can deal with Chris’s bullshit and barely bat an eyelash, not to mention she’s the only one who’ll actually talk back to JC when he tries to go all parental on her. Remember out showcase?” Lance bobbed his head from side to side, a hint of a smile coming to his face and Joey hit his knee. “So are you? Oh, and is she going to audition for Johnny or not? She was at the trial, right?”

“Good point, yes, not sure, and yes,” Lance said, answering each of Joey’s questions in order.

“If she’s as good as you say she is, then she’ll have problem getting in,” Joey replied waving a hand in the air. A devilish grin then came to his face. “Besides, we could use a girl around here. Something new to look at.” Lance scoffed, his eyebrows shooting up as he looked over at his best friend. “What?”

“Kelly?” Lance asked and Joey briefly looked at the ceiling.

“She knows I look but I don’t act on anything,” Joey replied, twisting his mouth to the side. A serious look then crossed his face. “Besides, she’d kill me if I did you and I both know that.”

“Yeah, that’s true,” Lance agreed with a nod of his head.

“So, I thought things were rocky between the two of you?” Joey asked, indicating towards Lance’s pocket, where his cell phone sat. “Or were you able to hit it off when you got back home?” Lance let out a sigh through his nose. “I have to tell you, no offense, but I never pegged you to be the kind of guy to chase after the girl next door if you know what I mean.”

“One; I know what you mean, and two; shut up, Joey,” Lance said as he drove his elbow into Joey’s side. “It’s not like that. She’s my best friend. We’re just friends, that’s all.” Lance’s chest swelled as he sucked in a breath of air before letting it out. “Besides, she likes my other best friend, Darren—you’ve met him—so…”

“Are they together?” Joey asked, a curious look crossing his face.

“No,” Lance replied, shaking his head. “But, I can tell while I’ve been gone that they’ve gotten closer.”

“Is that a good thing or a bad thing?”

 “Considering everything she’s been through, it’s a good thing,” Lance slowly replied. He then gave a shrug of his shoulders before scratching at his jaw. “Besides, I’ve known Darren for years, he’s a great guy. If there’s anybody I’d want her to be with, it’d be him.” He then quirked an eyebrow as he looked over at Joey. “Actually, for a little bit, at the showcase, I thought she liked you, but that would’ve been a disaster.”

“Hey!” Joey said, a mock look of offense on his face.

“You know what I mean,” Lance replied.

“Yeah, I guess I do,” Joey agreed, laughing lightly. He hit the side of Lance’s knee with the back of his hand. “Hey, I hope things work out between you two.”

“Thanks,” Lance said as Joey got to his feet. “I’ll be over to hacky in a minute.”

“Sure,” Joey replied with a nod of his head.

Lance reached into his pocket for his phone and pulled it out of his pocket, staring down at the face plate. “Come on, ring,” he whispered. “Ring.” He jumped when a second later, his phone actually started to vibrate in his hands. He quickly flipped his phone open and then put it to his ear. “Hello?”

You and Darren are the two most annoying people on the planet when you’re right, you know that?

“Hi, Ace,” Lance replied, a smile coming to his face. “I’ve left a couple messages.”

Yeah, I got ‘em. I’m not interrupting you am I?

“No, we go on in about a half hour, we just want to get a hacky in before then, and run through some last minute things,” Lance replied, waving his hand in the air. He then put his hand back into his lap realizing that she couldn’t hear him. “It’s become a tradition for us. So, am I late to say Happy New Year?”

No, you still have a half hour left. I just called to wish you a good show and…I’ll see you in a couple of days.

Lance’s heart skipped a beat. He pulled his phone away from his ear to look at it, and then put it back. “You’re coming?” he asked. “Your dad’s letting you out here to audition?”

After plenty of non-stop begging from me, Darren, and Jasmine as soon as we got home, yes.” Lance could hear her laughing on the other end of the line. “Luckily we timed it right where the adults around here have gotten their festivities on early enough for him to be pretty happy. I also have your parents to thank for their help as well; he’s goin’ to be stayin’ with your mom and dad while I’m gone. That’s southern hospitality for ya.

“Oh yeah, the New Year’s party at the fire tower,” Lance said, nodding his head. “Hope you all had fun.”

Wasn’ the same without your voice harmonizin’ with Reba.”

“Never going to live that one down, huh?” Lance asked, laughing lightly. “I’ll let you go. I don’t want you to miss the countdown or anything.”

Yeah, I don’ want you late for hacky or…whatever. So…I’ll see you in Orlando.”

“Bye,”  Lance replied before hanging up his phone. He set it down on the chair and made his way over towards his band mates. They opened the circle and Lance quickly brought up his knee to hit the hacky sack that flew towards him, sending it back towards JC.

“Finally got a call from her?” Justin asked, his eyes on the hacky sack. His head bounced around as he watched the hacky sack go flying through the air, waiting for his turn. He ran his hands over his short curls. “We goin’ to be seein’ her?”

“She’ll be meeting us in Orlando,” Lance said, clapping his hands together. “Hope this works out for her.”

“Hey, man, you know Johnny’s been seeing a lot of great talent out there,” JC said, scratching the side of his nose with his thumb. Lance nodded his head. Whenever JC talked, Lance listened. Everybody described him as being the most serious one in the group, and in a way, being a father-figure to them. He made sure they were where they needed  to be at a specific time…despite him being the one that was always asleep the longest. It was his role in the group.

JC paused to swing his arm forward, locking his elbow, knocking the hacky sack towards Joey’s chest. “I know you two are very close,” he continued, “but I don’t want you, either of you, to get your hopes up way too high thinking she’ll automatically get in, understand?”

“Yeah,” Lance replied, clapping his hands together. “I know. Thanks, C.”

“Anytime,” JC replied.


 

January 2nd, 2000

Orlando, Florida

Annaleigh let out a loud yawn as she rubbed at her eyes. “Yeah, I’m at the house now, dad,” she said into the phone, closing her eyes. “It’s late.”

I’m just glad you made it safe, Sweet Pea.” Annaleigh smiled as her dad’s tone filled her ear. She had her phone between her ear and shoulder, as the weight of her exhaustion crashed on her shoulders. “I miss you already.”

“Miss you, too,” Annaleigh replied, her breathing slowly evening. “If mom calls-“

I’ll have her reach you on your phone.” Annaleigh blinked rapidly, hearing the worry coming to her father’s voice. “She hasn’ called you back?”

“Mmm-mmmm,” Annaleigh replied, slowly shaking her head back and forth, careful not to dislodge the phone from between her shoulder.

Oh, I’m sorry, Sweet Pea. I’m sure she’ll call. Well, everythin’ here at the Bass home is goin’ well. Both James and Diane miss you as well and wish you well.” There was a pause on his end. “You know I can’t help but worry.

“Dad-“

But, I know with Lance there he’ll be sure to look out for you. Just be careful, Sweet Pea. Be careful, do your best, and have fun. All that matters is how well you feel about your audition. I know you; you get really…hard on yourself when it comes to you and your music. Try not to perfect anythin’, just allow yourself to show through the music.”

“Thanks, daddy,” Annaleigh replied.

Ok, well I’m goin’ to let you go and get some sleep. Call me tomorrow. Do you have Chip?

“I will,” Annaleigh replied before reaching for her bag, unzipping it. “I have him right here. Now would kinda be a bad time ta ask. Night, daddy.” He wished her a good night as well before she removed her phone from her ear before ending the call. She pushed Chip back into her bag before sliding her phone into her pocket.

She had gotten Chip from Lance and Darren when she and Jasmine were at home sick with the Chicken Pox when they were eleven. They gave her a stuffed cat which she named Purrl to acknowledge how white the stuffed animal was. Chip got his name from his dark brown nose.

Annaleigh glanced at the house before she reached for her bags. She pulled the strap to her gym bag over her shoulder, lifting her new bass—a Christmas gift—up onto her other shoulder, making her way up the driveway of the house, passing by a basketball hoop and some bikes lying in the driveway. She hurried up the walkway and up onto the porch, lifting a hand to press her finger into the button for the doorbell.

She sucked in a deep breath of air, letting out a loud yawn as footsteps thundered towards the door before it was pulled open, bathing her in light. “That’s attractive,” Chris commented, peering at her.

“Much like your face,” Annaleigh replied around the tail end of her yawn. Chris chuckled before stepping aside, motioning for her to go into the house. “Thanks.” She then set her stuff down on the ground before stepping towards him, giving him a hug. “Good to see you again, Chris.”

“You too, Firecracker,” Chris replied, lifting a hand to indicate the house. “Everybody’s…somewhere. But, Lance is asleep, so….” He trailed off, peering over at her. “And it looks like you’re about to fall asleep on your feet, Little Lady.”

“It’s late, why are you still up?” Annaleigh asked, blinking her burning eyes.

“Party doesn’t start ‘till at least 2:30,” Chris replied with a smile. He then suddenly gave a deep bow. “Where are my manners? Let me show you where you’re staying.” Annaleigh gave him a smile before lifting her bags, following him out of the foyer and down the hall. She could hear faint voices from all over the house, but couldn’t pinpoint where exactly they were coming from or who it was that was talking. “You, m’lady, will be staying in this guest room.”

“Thanks, Chris, you’re such a charmer,” Annaleigh said with a half smile as he put her stuff on the bed in the room he directed her to.

“I know,” Chris replied with a bright smile. “Let’s go see if we can find the others. Or do you just want to get straight to bed?”

“Might as well get this over with, I get the feelin’ that if they find out I got here last night without seein’ me someone—Joey—will jump on my bed in the mornin’,” Annaleigh replied, using her hand to brush her hair out of her face. She wrinkled her nose at the thought, her freckles forming a dark spot over her nose as they collected together.

“Nah, that’s a tag-team effort,” Chris said, with a short laugh.

“Silly me,” Annaleigh replied, deadpan. She followed Chris out of the room, twisting her hair up into a ponytail, reaching for the elastic band on her wrist to secure it.

Chris led her back out of the hall and towards the kitchen where, sure enough, Joey was sitting at the kitchen table eating a bowl of Chex. “Heyyy,” he greeted around a mouthful of cereal, milk dribbling down his chin. Annaleigh’s eyes squinted in disgust as he reached for a napkin to wipe at his chin. He chewed rapidly before swallowing, getting to his feet, opening his arms for a hug. “You’ve really grown up.”

“That’s what happens over three years, Joe,” Annaleigh replied as she hugged him back. “One thing sure hasn’t changed though; you still give good hugs.”

“The best,” Joey replied. A questioning look then crossed his face.“Have you seen JC and Justin, yet? They’re in the back studio.”

“Nah, Joe, I jus’ got here,” Annaleigh replied with a shake of her head.

“Let’s go, then,” Joey said, abandoning his bowl of cereal before leading Annaleigh back through the same hall that she had previously been to, making their way farther into the back of the house. Music was blaring from behind a closed door. Chris started dancing along to the music as Joey rapped his knuckles on the door before grasping the knob, twisting it, pushing the door open. “Guys! GUYS!”

He walked over to JC and tapped him on the shoulder before leaning past him, grasping a knob on the sound board  in front of him, turning down the volume. “Annaleigh’s here,” he explained to JC and Justin’s look of alarms, jerking his thumb over his shoulders.

“Whatever that was, it sounded great,” Annaleigh offered as she gave JC and Justin hugs.

“Thanks, sweetie,” JC replied and Annaleigh quirked an eyebrow in his direction but didn’t say anything. “We’re listening to some demos for our new album. Demos you may be playing soon.”

No Strings Attached,” Justin added, miming the cut of strings before he waved his arms in the air. “After everything with Lou-“ Annaleigh noticed the change in the air as soon as the name was out of his mouth. JC cleared his throat, scratching the side of his jaw. Justin shrugged. “Seemed fitting.”

“Clever,” Annaleigh said with a nod of approval. “Congratulations; with the court hearin’ ‘n’ everythin’. Sorry you had ta go through that.” JC merely waved his hand in the air before giving a shrug.

“We’ll let you get some sleep,” he said to her, “no offense, sweetie, but you look like you could drop at any second.”

“None taken,” Annaleigh replied, “because I definitely feel like it.” She then lifted her hand in a wave. “I’ll see y’all in the mornin’, I guess.”

She gave them a quick smile before making her way back towards her room. She kicked the door shut behind her and moved her bags to the ground. She quickly changed into her pajamas and turned off the light before climbing into bed, making sure to get Chip from her bag.

But she couldn’t get to sleep.

“Come on, buddy,” she said as she lifted Chip into her arms. She slipped out of her room and across the hall to the only other bedroom door that was closed. She quietly pushed the door open, tiptoeing inside to hear soft snores coming from the center of the darkness. She closed the door behind her and tip toped over towards the bed, waiting for her eyes to adjust to the dark. “Lance.”

“Hmm?” Lance gave a mumbled response and Annaleigh kneeled down beside his bed, nudging his bare shoulder. “Hmmm?”

“Roll over,” Annaleigh whispered and Lance did as she was asked. Annaleigh grabbed his blankets and lifted them before climbing into bed beside him. “Hi.”

“Hi, Anna,” Lance muttered into his pillow. Annaleigh’s eyes fluttered shut as the Lance’s body heat wrapped her in a comforting cocoon of warmth.

 

 

End Notes:
And now we're moving onto the main plot of the story. I didn't mean for it to take this long to get to that part, but I'm glad you're all enjoying what I have so far.
Muster Up Every Ounce of Confidence by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
*NSYNC starts preparations for the new album and tour as Annaleigh meets Johnny Wright.

January 3rd, 2000


Lance stretched his arms over his head, letting out a sigh throughhis nose as he stirred, slowly waking up from his deep sleep. He was exhausted, his whole body ached in the best way only a concert could make him feel. As he blinked open his eyes, staring up at the ceiling, it took him a moment or two to realize where he was.

To realize that he was done. That they were done with their latest tour. They didn’t have concerts to perform, they didn’t have to run on few hours in between shows, they didn’t have to do a mad dash back to the tour bus. He could just sit at home and relax as they worked on their new album, away from Lou Pearlman.

He jerked suddenly as the thought of their old manager came to his mind, a cold wave crashing over him, through his body, making him shudder a second time, jostling the figure next to him. He turned his head and saw a mess of dark brown hair splayed across one of his many pillows. A stuffed teddy bear, one he quickly recognized, sat between him and the figure.

He instantly relaxed, sitting up in bed, the sheets sliding off his shoulders, down his bare chest, gathering at his waist as he reached for the bear. “Hey, Chip,” he said quietly, taking the bear into his hands. He grasped one of the arms of the bear and made it wave at him. He then turned the bear around and moved its arm to tap the figure lying beside him. “Pssst. Annaleigh. Wake up, Annaleigh.”

Annaleigh made a grunting sound, pushing his hand away. “Stop starin’ at me,” she muttered, pulling the blankets higher up under her chin.

“I thought you were asleep.” Lance continued talking for Chip, making the bear wiggle his fluffy arms in Annaleigh’s face.

“I am. Stop talkin’,” Annaleigh replied. Lance chuckled, giving her the bear back. Annaleigh smiled as she wrapped her arm around the bear’s waist, pulling it to her chest.

“First smile I’ve seen from you in a while,” Lance stated and Annaleigh let out a sigh through her nose, her freckles bunching together for a moment before she blinked her eyes open, sliding them over to fix on him before squinting against the bright sunlight. “Welcome to Orlando.”

“Thanks,” Annaleigh replied, sitting up as well, using her hand to brush her hair back. She hugged Chip to her chest as she sat cross legged on his bed. “Sorry ‘bout…” She waved her hand in the air, motioning around the room.

“Don’t worry about it,” Lance replied waving his hand in the air before rubbing at his burning eyes. As he blinked his eyes, becoming fully awake, a glint caught his eye and he peered over at her before motioning towards his neck. “What is that?”

“Purity ring,” Annaleigh replied as she hooked her finger underneath the chain, pulling it out from underneath her gray tank top to reveal a small band with a dark green gem in the middle of it. “Matthew 5:8 and with my birthstone too.” She dropped the  ring and it thumped once against her chest. “One of dad’s stipulations for lettin’ me audition. He said he was goin’ to give it to me on my birthday, but…”

“He’s just worried,” Lance replied. He doesn’t want you to get hurt. Not by him or anybody else. His fingers twitched and he pressed his lips together. He wanted to tell her what his dad told him, he wanted to tell her why her family had fallen apart, but he knew that it wasn’t his place. “You know how your dad is; he just wants what’s best for you. He’s not entirely old fashioned, but still.”

As her best friend, he wanted to protect her as much as he could, and he knew that she’d go nuclear on him if she found out that he knew about it ahead of time. As a long time friend of her family, he also knew that Ryan Carr was a proud man and wouldn’t want anyone but him or his wife to break the news to her.

“I know, but…that’s not the only reason he gave it to me,” Annaleigh slowly replied and Lance gave her a confused look. “D and I kinda…kissed before I came here.” He blinked in surprise, shaking his head back and forth before putting a hand to his forehead.

“Wait, what?” he asked.

“Actually, he kissed me,” Annaleigh replied, letting go of Chip before lifting her hands to pull her hair back into a ponytail. He recognized that move; she was hiding her cheeks that were undoubtedly turning a bright pink. The mole on her upper lip disappeared as a smile stretched across her face.

He wasn’t upset about the situation, but he was surprised. He had watched his best friend pine after his other best friend for years, never thinking that something was going to happen, mainly from her end. He knew how she felt about relationships and dating after watching her parents split up. Then again, he wasn’t surprised that she gravitated towards either him or Darren; they were both always there for her, providing her stability in her life.

“And?” he prompted.

“It was nice?”Annaleigh asked, making a face for a brief moment. “I mean, it wasn’t just nice, it was…better than I ever thought it’d be. Anyway, I don’t know. He’s not courtin’ me or anythin’.” She then let out a sigh. “Anyway, I told my dad about it and with him knowin’ I’d be living ‘round here with you lot that it was time to give me the ring.”

“Don’t do that,” Lance said with a shake of his head before rolling off of his bed. He adjusted the waistband of his boxers as soon as his feet hit the floor. He could feel her eyes burning holes into her back; he could practically sense the waves of confusion she sent. “Don’t act like that’s not a big deal. You’ve only held a torch for the guy for, like, ever.”

He pulled open the middle drawer to his dresser and reached for a pair of jeans. He could hear Annaleigh scoff as he flapped his jeans into the air before he held them out in front of him before jumping into them. “In fact, that’s why I thought you named him Chip,” he said.

“His nose looks like a chocolate chip,” Annaleigh said with a frown, looking down at the bear. “How’d you get—“

“Ch-Ch-Ch-Chip and Dale, Rescue Rangers,” Lance softly sang, jumping up and down as he zipped up his jeans before reaching for the button. “Ch-Ch-Ch-Chip and Dale; when there’s danger.” Annaleigh’s eyebrows shot up not before she grasped Chip’s leg, pulling her arm back before throwing it towards him. Lance quickly brought up his arms to shield himself from the attack, turning towards the door as it opened.

“Whoa,” Joey loudly declared a smile on his face. “Am I interrupting something kinky?” Lance rolled his eyes as Joey jumped onto his abandoned bed, the force of the bounce, nearly knocking Annaleigh off the bed. “We were looking for you. Chris and I were going to surprise you with breakfast in bed.” He then gave a pout. “But, here you were all this time. Makes the rest of us not feel loved.”

“I thank ya kindly, Joey,” Annaleigh said, giving him a sweet smile, reaching out to pat his cheek.

“Don’t thank him too much,” Lance said in a monotone as he looked for a t-shirt. “He means that literally; he and Chris would’ve eaten their breakfast in your bed or something like that.”

Joey let out a loud gasp, rolling onto his back to put his hand over his heart. “That hurts, Lance, that really does,” he said, blinking over at his friend. “We just wanted to make her feel welcome that’s all.” He then sat up and his grin widened. “I did want to ask her  a question though.”

“Which is…?” Lance asked, pulling his shirt up over his head. He pulled his shirt down over his stomach and down past the waistband of his jeans.

“Just wondered how long you two have been friends, that’s all,” Joey replied before making it a point to look back and forth between the two of them. Annaleigh’s right eyebrow slowly curved upwards before her left eyebrow joined it. Lance pinched the bridge of his nose before looking back at Joey. “I know what this looks like, but nothing happened. We’re just friends that’s it.”

“An’ to answer your question, we’ve been friends fer almost eight years now,” Annaleigh replied, curling her hand into a fist, resting her cheek against it, her elbow digging into her knee. She then gave Joey a sweet smile before climbing out of Lance’s bed. “I assure you, nothin’ happened. You can go ahead and tell Chris.” She then crossed the room to pick up her fallen bear before leaving Lance’s room, adjusting the strap to her tank top and the waist band of her soccer shorts.

Chris, I found her,” Joey shouted, throwing Lance a wink before following her out of the room. “She was in bed with Lance.” Lance rolled his eyes, shaking his head running a hand over his hair.

Ha!” Lance could heard Chris’s loud laugh from somewhere down the hall. “Been a long while since he’s had a girl over. I was starting to worry about him.” Lance briefly closed his eyes when he heard Joey’s laughter mix in with his and Justin’s faint laughter.

Lance sucked a deep breath of air through his nose before he made his way out of his room, the ends of his jeans scuffing on the carpet, swishing around his feet. He stretched his arms over his head as he made his way out of the hall and into the kitchen where he found the rest of the *NSYNC members, minus JC who Lance automatically assumed was still sleeping, eating bowls of cereal, looking tired but wide awake.

“Sounds like you had a fun night,” Justin said, milk dribbling down his chin before stirring his wooden spoon through the large mixing bowl he used for his bowl of cereal.

Lance had quickly grown accustomed to Justin’s cereal habit, but at first he was surprised that he could eat so much in the morning. He had a certain routine with it too; find a mixing bowl, fiil it with as much cereal as possible, pour half a gallon of milk into it, and then proceed to dunk every piece of cereal into the milk. Once they all caught on, they started buying gallons of milk specifically for Justin.

“Joey and Chris don’t know what they’re talking about,” Lance said, moving to sit at his self-assigned seat in the kitchen table. “Ace and I are just friends; best friends. That’s all.”

“I’m just sayin’, you sure made a big deal about ‘going to bed early’,” Chris said with a laugh, using air quotes before going back to his oatmeal. “Seemed pretty late if you ask me.”

“Nothing happened,” Lance repeated, putting his face in his hands. “Seriously. I swear.”

“Don’ swear,” Annaleigh immediately said to him, her head bent towards the ground as she pulled her hair up into a side ponytail. She then paused to look up at the boys, putting her hands on her hips. “Nothin’ happened.”

“Not with that ring it didn’t,” Justin pointed out, sitting back in his chair, his lips smacking together as he loudly chewed before indicating to the ring around her neck. “That’s pretty.”

“Yeah, it is,” Chris said, his eyebrows shooting up. “Just maahvelous, daahling.” He flapped a hand in the air. “So, who’s the lucky guy?"

“No idea,” Annaleigh replied, leaning against the kitchen table. She reached into Justin’s bowl of Lucky Charms and grabbed a few marshmallows, ignoring Justin’s screech of protest and slaps with the spoon in his hand. As the words came out of her mouth, Joey choked on his mouthful of cereal.

“So, what, is this an arranged marriage or something?” he asked, a confused look crossing his face. “I’m actually curious about this. How can you be engaged to someone you don’t know?”

“It’s a purity ring, moron,” Justin said with a roll of his eyes.

“A what?” Chris asked. He looked at Joey, to Justin, to Lance, and then at Annaleigh as she munched on the cereal. “Those aren’t myths?” Justin slapped his forehead with his palm.

“No, purity rings aren’t myths, Chris,” Lance said with a roll of his eyes. “When you wear a purity ring you make a promise—not only to yourself but to God—that you stay…’pure’ until marriage.”

“So…?” Chris asked.

“You don’t have sex until you’re married,” Justin supplied around a mouthful of food. This got startled replies from both Chris and Joey. “Yes, that means you don’t have sex at all. Not until you’re married.”

“So you haven’t…at all?” Joey asked, his eyebrows shooting up.

“Nope,” Annaleigh replied with a shake of her head.

Really?” Joey asked, looking  stunned. She gave him an odd look. “I just meant because you’re really beautiful.”

“That was quick,” Lance commented and Joey merely shrugged, giving a smile.

“How old are you, again?” Chris asked. Lance gave him a warning look, his eyes narrowing slightly. Chris put his hand into the air. “Not for me, I’m just wondering.”

“Turn eighteen in July,” Annaleigh replied and Joey opened his mouth, “and no, not even then. The only men I need in my life are my dad and God.” Lance loudly cleared his throat before giving his friend a teasing look. “Oh, and Lance of course.” She then put her hands up defensively. “I jus’ decided to save myself for my husband and not sleep around or anythin’. But don' think I'm opposed to you guys havin’ a good time or anythin’. You can still do whatever you like; I won’t start preachin’ to you or anythin’.”

“Well, that’s a relief,” Chris said with a smile, before going back to what he was doing. He then pointed his spoon over at Lance and then Justin. “So, you two never wore purity rings or anything? Well, I mean, Just wouldn’t be wearing his now, would he? Not with how things are going with you and Britney.”

“Wait,” Annaleigh said, her eyes popping open. She put a hand to her heart before dropping into the chair across from Justin. “Oh my stars, you’re really datin’ Britney Spears?”

“Yep, she’s my lady,” Justin replied with a smile and a wink before shoving another large spoonful of cereal into his mouth.

“Oh my stars,” Joey repeated with a small laugh, “that’s cute. So, why don’t you wear one, Lance?”

Lance blinked with a start. Why didn’t he wear one? It’d definitely make things easier, he thought to himself, pressing his lips together. His eyes flickered towards Annaleigh—who gave him a curious look—before he gave a shrug of his shoulders. “I never thought about it to be honest with you,” he replied before he put his hand on Annaleigh’s shoulder. “Ace, I’ll get you something to eat.”

“Only good thing we have is cereal, we need to go shopping,” Joey announced.

“I can see why Miss Diane was worried about y’alll on tour,” Annaleigh said, with a shake of her head. “I’m sure y’all have something. You boys have no idea how to make somethin’ out of nothin’.” She clapped her hands together, pushing her chair back, getting to her feet. “I can make you some breakfast with whatever’s lyin’ ‘round here.”

“If she can pull this off, she’s a God send,” Joey said, closing his eyes, a smile coming to his face. “Literally.”

Annaleigh let out a short laugh as she made her way into the kitchen, opening and closing the refrigerator, the freezer and some cabinets. “I’ll have something whipped up for y’all in no time.”

“God bless you,” Chris said with a sigh of happiness, rubbing his stomach as he dropped his spoon onto the table with a loud clatter.

“Ace, you don’t have to do that,” Lance said, reaching for her arm as she started to look around the kitchen. “You’re a guest here. We can make something for you.”

“No offense, Lance, but you’re not known for your cuisine,” Annaleigh replied with a small smile. “It’s fine; I don’t mind it at all.”

“Hey, I make great toast,” Lance protested and Annaleigh gave a laugh, shaking her head. “Are you sure? I think you should be focusing on your audition with Johnny.”

“James,” Annaleigh said, stopping what she was doing to face him, planting a hand on her hip. Lance let cringed slightly, but shot her a curious look. She was like his mom sometimes; the minute he was referred to by his first name, he knew he should pay attention. “It’s fine, really. I mean…I’m happy to do it. I’m happy here; I’ve only been here for a few hours, but…I like it here. I don’ have responsibilities, an’ for a little while I don’ have to worry ‘bout Dad. I can jus’ focus on music, like I’ve always wanted to. ”

She opened the refrigerator and pulled out the carton of eggs, kicking the door shut with her door. She set the carton down onto the table and popped open the top, peering at it for a moment before grabbing an egg out of the carton. Lance watched as she set it down on the table and tried to spin it. She quickly reached for the egg before it wobbled off the side of the table.

“I’m not rulin’ out that I might not get it, but for one fleeting moment, I took that chance at followin’ my dream,” Annaeigh continued, testing eggs on the counter. She then lifted her amber eyes to look up at Lance. “That’s all I ever wanted.”

Lance smiled, putting his arm around Annaleigh’s shoulder, giving her a hug and a kiss on the side of her head. “I’m happy you’re here,” he said to her.

“So’m I,” Annaleigh replied as she smiled up at him, leaning into his side, wrapping an arm around his waist, squeezing him back. She got back to making breakfast as the telephone rang. “Where’re the skillets?”

Telephone,” Joey, Chris, Justin, and Lance shouted at slightly varying times, a finger flying to press the tip of their noses. Lance looked over at his friends, eyes narrowed slightly as he looked back and forth between them.

“C’s not in the room, he has to answer,” Justin said after a moment of silence, slapping his hand down onto the table. Lance chuckled before dropping back down into his chair, running his hand over his face as JC entered the room, the phone up to his ear. “See?”

“Uh-huh…ok…got it…see you then,” JC said into the phone before removing it from his ear, pressing his thumb into the button, a small blip hitting the air. “That was Johnny; he’s going to come over later to show us the mix for Bye, Bye, Bye just in case we want to change something, and to see Annaleigh to talk about her audition and if she’s to make it into the band. He’s also bringing Wade over, too, taking the time to help us work out our moves while we’re here.”

“It’s the first day off from tour,” Chris groaned, throwing his arms into the air. “When are we actually going to have a break?” He got muttered responses from Joey and Justin.

“Hey, you guys should be used to it by now,” JC said, leaning back in his chair. “Besides, you know how important this album is. After everything with Lou—“ Lance sucked in a sharp breath of air, feeling the temperature in the room changing instantly. Lance looked around the room starting with Justin continued to shovel, now soggy, cereal into his mouth, Joey was looking around the room finding interest in anything he could, and Chris who was humming loudly, and then at JC who momentarily had a far off look on his face. “They’ve always had our back, the least we can do is give them the best performance of our lives.”

“Here, here,” Lance said, giving a quick salute.

“There’s something I’m not used to though,” JC said, his eyebrows shooting up before he closed his eyes, sniffing the air. “Mmmm, that smells good. Finally, something to mask the smell of Justin’s socks.”

“They’re not that bad,” Justin said, wrinkling his nose.

“For someone who shared your room for months while we were in Germany, they were that bad,” Lance replied with a little bit of a laugh before gently hitting JC’s arm. “And you can thank Ace for the good smells. She’s making breakfast for us.”

JC immediately turned in his seat to face Annaleigh. “Sweetie, you don’t have to do that,” he said, getting to his feet.

“Sit down, JC,” Annaleigh replied, not bothering to look up from the bowl of eggs she was scrambling with a fork. She then looked up at him and gave him a sweet smile. “And don’t call me ‘Sweetie’.”

JC slowly sat back down and Lance patted him on the arm for a second time. “Don’t take  it to heart, but a fair warning; and I’m telling this to all of you, she’s a Southern Belle through and through. Justin knows what I mean.”

“Sure do,” Justin replied with a nod of his head. He let out a low whistle, shaking his head back and forth. “Just…no.”

“I’m starting to wonder if it’s a good or bad thing that she’s here,” Chris said, his eyes wide, a look of worry coming to his face.

“Oh my stars, when was the last time you did the dishes around here?” Annaleigh cried. Lance turned around in his seat to see Annaleigh staring in shock at the dirty dishes that were crammed into the dishwasher. “I’m surprised this thing can still close.”

“Definitely a good thing,” Joey replied.


 

Lance stretched his arms over his head, stretching his legs out as far as he could before relaxing on the couch as best as he could, squished between Joey and JC as they all sat opposite of their manager, Johnny Wright, and their choreographer, Wade Robson who were sitting on a couch. Annaleigh was curled up in a chair between them.

“We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us, but I’ve got high hopes for you boys,” Johnny said in his calm, yet serious tone, rubbing his hands together, his elbows resting on his legs. “Very high hopes. This next move for you is important; everybody has their eyes on you. They want to see how you fair without Lou around. Everybody has their eyes on you.”

“Not like they didn’t before with our ‘feud’ with the Backstreet Boys,” Lance said, using air quotes before crossing his arms over his chest.

“Yeah, and I have a bone to pick with them,” Chris added, putting a finger in the air, sitting up straight in his seat, practically driving his elbow into Justin’s side. “Did you see what they said about us in their lat interview.”

Lance shifted his gaze over towards Johnny. The Backstreet Boys were around for a little while before *NSYNC came on the scene. Everybody thought the two bands were rivals mainly because they were working in the same genre of music and because both bands were the most popular bands out there. He had met the Backstreet Boys a couple of times and thought they were pretty cool dudes.

That’s not to say that each meeting was all that awkward. They had met once since everything with Lou went down; they had money stolen from them as well.  Not only that, but higher ups at their record companies would relay stories to the band about “Nick thinking Lance is this” or “JC thought AJ was that.” But, the kicker was that Johnny was their manager, too. That gave the boys more reason to respect the African American man; to work that hard for not one but two of the hottest boy bands? And he sure did know what he was doing.

“They didn’t say anything, Chris,” Johnny said, giving Chris a confused look.

“Exactly!” Chris replied, hiking an eyebrow. “The nerve of those guys.” Joey snorted, putting a hand over his mouth to try and get him to stop from laughing out loud.

JC pressed his lips together, the corners twitching, Justin cleared his throat over and over again, and Lance ran a hand over his face before sticking his tongue out between his lips before he sucked his lips into his mouth. He tightened the muscles of his stomach to try and keep the bubble of laughter in his chest.

Johnny briefly closed his eyes. His shoulders shook as a small fit of laughter escaped past his lips. He shook his head back and forth before removing the navy blue cap on his head, raking his fingers over his short cut hair.

“Be serious, Chris,” he said to him and Chris seemed to deflate a little bit in his seat as he gave a nod of his head. “This is kind of like a comeback for you boys; everyone wants to see how well you can do without Lou. From what I’ve heard, it’s going to be a hit. It’s going to be huge. This is something that no one else has done before.”

“I’m ready for it,” Justin said, a serious look crossing his face, all trace of laughter gone from his face. “This…this’ll be something great, I just know it.”

“That’s right,” JC agreed, nodding his head. “No strings.”

“No strings,” Lance repeated, a half smile coming to his face. Lou isn’t around to hold us back anymore. Now we just have to rely on ourselves. His smile faded slightly as he dropped his gaze into his lap. He reached back to grab the back of the couch, letting out a sigh. We have to fight ourselves. Lou may not be around to hold us back, but we can still do that to ourselves.

“You ok?”

Lance blinked in Johnny’s direction. Both he and Wade were peering curiously at him. He gave a nod of his head. “Yeah,” he replied, giving a smile, “I’m fine. Just thinking about everything.”

“I understand, it’s a lot to deal with, but I’d tell you if I didn’t think you could do it,” Johnny said, looking each of the boys in the eye. “You’ve had to fight hard to get your name out there, don’t stop fighting. Don’t stop trying to be the best you can be.”

“Yes, sir,” JC said quietly.

“And that brings me to my next topic,” Johnny said, clapping his hands together before turning to face Annaleigh, who shifted, sitting taller in her chair. She held the air of confidence; head held high, shoulders rolled back, the perfect pageant stance, but he could see the nervousness in her eyes. “You must be Annaleigh.”

“Yes, sir, Annaleigh Carr, sir,” Annaleigh said, offering her hand towards Johnny. Johnny took her hand in his, shaking it.

“Lance has told me a lot about you,” Johnny said, giving her a pleasant smile. “You have some promise for a young lady your age. I was impressed by the video he showed me.”

“Really?” Annaleigh asked, her eyes lighting up. “Well, I thank ya kindly, sir, for takin’ the time to watch, sir.”

Johnny’s eyebrows shot up and a smile came to his face. “Well, it was my pleasure,” he replied, “But, you don’t have to call me, ‘sir’, Johnny is fine.” Annaleigh nodded her head. “I understand that you haven’t been playing the bass long, but do you have any other experiences with music.”

“My dad taught me how ta play the drums when I was a kid,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head. “He used ta play the guitar in our church band. I always wanted to play with him, I would practice with him when he was rehearsin’ at home. I also dance; and I have since I was five, but that was ballet and jazz. I started teaching myself hip-hop lately cause my friend Jasmine was learnin’ it in class.” She gave a shrug of her shoulders. “I jus’ started to learn how to play bass ta fill in at my church. My mom is a pretty decent singer, too. I don’t think I inherited her voice, though.”

“You’re a great singer, Ace,” Lance said to her. He watched as her eye twitched slightly.

“Not good enough to get into Showstoppers or Attaché,” she replied and Lance blinked in surprise.

He felt his jaw drop. He knew she had wanted to be in both groups but didn’t know that she had actually auditioned, let alone have been declined from joining. Lance dropped his hands into his lap, twisting his fingers together.

How much did I really miss when I was gone? Lance thought to himself, looking over at her.

“I see, and your father is…”

“Ryan Carr, sir,” Annaleigh replied. “I mean, Johnny…sir. Mr. Johnny. Sorry.”  Annaleigh pressed her lips together, clasping her hands in her lap.

“Wait…not the Ryan Carr,” Justin said, his eyes widening, leaning forward in his seat. “The guitarist? Of that band?”

“I only know one Ryan Carr,” Annaleigh replied, her eyebrows knitting together. “He did say he was in a band though.”

“Do you know the name?” Justin pressed and Annaleigh shook her head, looking more and more confused.

“Oathkeeper” Lance supplied after a moment of silence. Everybody immediately turned to look at him and he scratched the back of his neck. “I remember my dad talking about it when I was a kid.”

“That’s it!” Justin said, looking excited. “Your dad was the lead guitarist to Oathkeeper.” He started to bounce up and down in his seat. “Man, I listened to their albums all the time. I thought about doing a song of theirs when I went on Star Search.”

“Maybe you woulda won,” Chris commented. JC frowned, reaching behind Justin to slap the back of Chris’s head. Justin drove his elbow into Chris’s side. “What? You never know.”

“You didn’t know your dad was in Oathkeeper?” Wade asked, speaking up, speaking to Annaleigh for the first time since he had set foot in the house, apart from introducing himself to her.

The boys had a good laugh when Annaleigh was shocked at how old he was. Lance didn’t blame her, when he had first met Wade, he was sure Wade couldn’t be any younger than sixteen come to find he was around the same age as Justin and Annaleigh. He did have a boyish look to him so he couldn’t fault Annaleigh when she thought he was fifteen.

“He mentioned bein’ in a band but…he barely ever talked ‘bout that,” Annaleigh replied, her eyes narrowed slightly. “He’s not too fond of what me wantin’ to pursue music right now, he thinks I should continue my education as far as I can before doin’ anythin’ else, so…” She trailed off, shaking her head. “I wonder why he never told me.”

“Uh, Annaleigh, if I may, what is it that you want to accomplish with your music?” Johnny asked, smoothly changing the subject. “Why is it so important to you?”

“I want to show people what I can do,” Annaleigh replied after a moment of silence. “I want to show people to take the chance and to go after their dreams no matter who or what gets in their way.”

“Best case scenario is that you get into the band,” Johnny explained, rubbing at his chin with his fingers, “it’s going to be tough. There’ll be a lot hard work, late night rehearsals; crazy hours, the unpredictability of touring-“

“I can handle it,” Annaleigh said to him.

“Johnny, I’ve known Annaleigh since I was ten years old,” Lance spoke up, “and I’ve never met anyone as dedicated, stubborn, passionate, and loyal as her. Before I came out here to audition, she helped me with my audition; singing and dancing over and over again. I’m sure I drove her nuts, but she’d drop whatever she was doing to help me no questions asked because that’s just who she is.” He bowed his head for a moment before looking over at her, speaking directly to Annaleigh. “And I’ve never thanked her for it, but I’m saying it now. Thank you.”

“Happy to oblige,” Annaleigh replied with a smile. “You’re my best friend, you know that.”

“Well, Little Lady, I admire your confidence,” Johnny said with a smile. “If you were to be in the band, you’d be working closely with Wade, here, as well as the drummer, Billy Ashbaugh.” He clapped Wade on the shoulder who nodded and gave Annaleigh a smile. “You see, the rhythm section is the most important part of a band, it really keeps everybody together, and they keep the boys on the beat when they perform.”

“I understand,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head.

“As well, if you were to be in the group, there are to be a few rules to follow,” Johnny added. “No drugs under any circumstances, and no drinking if you’re underage.” He counted off on his fingers. “No romantic entanglements with any person in the band so as to keep the focus on the music which bring me to number four; this house is for work. I understand needing to blow off some steam, but it’s important that you commit to your work and put your all into it, you can’t do that if you’re distracted.”

Lance couldn’t tell how the interview was going just by watching them. Johnny wasn’t one who showed his emotions a lot, making sure to get down to business and stay on topic whenever he was in talks with the boys. But, Annaleigh was always poised and had an air of confidence even at such a young age; everyone commended her for it. Despite everything that could be going on in her life, the minute she stepped out her front door, it was like nothing could faze her. Lance had always been jealous of that.

“As well, I understand you’d still be partaking in schooling at the time and this rule is simple; keep your grades up and you can perform,” Johnny concluded. “Do you have any questions?” Annaleigh shook her head. “Anything else we can go over if you make it into the band. I’ll give you a couple days to prepare, but I look forward to your audition.” He offered his hand again and Annaleigh shook it, seeming to release the breath she was holding.

“Thank you so much,” she said, grinning from ear to ear. “I won’t let you down, I promise.”

“Just do your best,” Johnny said with a small laugh before he moved to give the boys a hug. Lance caught Annaleigh’s eye as he gave Johnny a quick hug. She gave him a worried look as she gave him a thumbs up before turning it upside down. Lance smiled, giving her a thumbs up in reply and Annaleigh smiled.

“Alright boys, let’s get to work,” Wade said, clapping his hands together. “Let’s get some cardio in before we start putting some combinations together. Meet me in the studio” Lance let out a heavy sigh, running his hands over his face as Wade made his way out of the room. Justin, JC, Chris, and Joey grumbled as well, but they also looked excited.

Doing performance after performance he was able to lock on dance moves as best as he could; but when he had to learn new dances and combinations, he had to start building from the bottom all over again. Lance felt a hand slip into his and he put his head on top of Annaleigh’s as she leaned into his side.

“Think it went well?” she asked.

“Johnny’s hard to read, but yes,” Lance replied with a nod of his head. He gently squeezed her hand. “I have to go get changed, but relax. You did great.” Annaleigh smiled against his arm, looking up as JC walked over to them.

“Hey, uh, I just wondered, do you have you auditioned all worked out?” JC asked her.

“I was thinkin’ of doin’ a song by Reba McIntire,” Annaleigh replied, blinking up at JC, standing up straight. “Why?”

“I think…and this is kind of a long shot…you have a very good chance of getting the spot if you do one of your dad’s songs,” JC replied. Lance slowly nodded his head in agreement. JC opened and closed his mouth a few times.“If you really want this, we could help you out.”

“I’m in,” Annaleigh said, without a moment’s hesitation.

For the umpteenth time in his life, Lance was jealous of her confidence in herself.

 

End Notes:
Story picks up with the next chapter. Could just be me (as I am my own worst critic), but I feel like this story is starting out a bit slow, but I'm enjoying writing it and that's all that really matters. Hope you like it.
Be Prepared by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the delay with this chapter. Been busy with school work lately.

Enjoy

 

Annaleigh shook her hand in the air before flexing her fingers before draping her arm over the bas guitar in her lap. It wasn’t like she could really hear the vibration from the string anyway; the *NYNC music was pumping so loud in the room the wall she was leaning up against was shaking with each pulse.

The rocking bass shook her stomach from side to side, making her feel a little sick. Despite her small headache, she wouldn’t leave the room at all. She was amazed by the five boys’ talent, even Wade’s. She thought it was odd that someone who was around her and Justin’s age was giving them directions and orders, but they took it all in stride. They really had respect for the young teenager.

As Bye Bye Bye, their newest single from their new album, blasted through the speakers, Annaleigh watched as Justin, JC, Chris, Joey, and Lance learned the dance steps and executed them along with the music. She was trying to learn the bass to the song, not that she could really pay attention with the rhythmic stomping of feet and squeaking of the soles of their shoes on the hardwood floor.

She couldn’t believe she was sitting and watching dance rehearsals for one of the most popular boy bands in the world. Forget Lance’s worry about his dancing, he looked great with the rest of the boys. Of course, Annaleigh could see the concentration mixed with worry on her friend’s bright red face as they quickly moved through the dance steps. She could practically see the gears turning in his head as he tried to put the steps all together.

“Keep going,” Wade shouted above the pumping music, clapping his hands together. He slowly swiveled his head from left to right as he watched the five boys dance. He bobbed his head to the music, dancing a couple of the steps on the spot as he watched them. “Lift your knees higher when you run back to your mark, JC.”

JC angled his head slightly in a nod, but never stopped what he was doing. He never lost control of his body as he continued to dance.  “5, 6, 7, 8. Lance stay in time, pick it up just a little bit,” Wade called, snapping his fingers in Lance’s direction. “Knees a little higher, Chris. Justin: great combination. Joey…” Wade trailed off as he let out a small laugh. “Bring the ham down just a little.”

“Actually, ham sounds pretty good right now,” Chris said as he stopped dancing. “Like on a ham and cheese sandwich, maybe?”

“Didn’t you just get done eating, Chris?” Wade asked, pinching the bridge of his nose before walking over to the corner of the room to turn off the music. He lifted the bottom of his shirt to wipe the sweat from his face. “In fact, that would explain why you’re all a little sluggish today.”

Annaleigh pressed her lips together, trying to stop herself from cringing or making a sheepish face, putting her attention back onto the bass guitar in her lap. She could feel the heat from the boys’ gaze in her direction and tapped her fingers on the strings.

“We just got off of tour, Wade,” Justin spoke up between deep breaths of air. “Took us forever to get to sleep. You could cut us some slack at least.”

“If I did that, then your comeback after everything with…him will be pretty lackluster,” Wade commented, rubbing at the stubble on his chin with his thumb. “You need to prove to him that you don’t need him.”

“Wade, just chill out for a sec,” JC said as he walked across the floor and over to his bag. He reached inside and pulled out a water bottle. “This is big for you, but you can lighten up just a little bit. Ace made a great breakfast for us when she didn’t have to.”

“And it was the best thing we’ve had in a while,” Joey added, throwing Annaleigh a smile.

“Which I hope goes for lunch and dinner,” Chris muttered under his breath earning slaps to both his arms from Justin and Lance. “Ouch! I know you’re all thinking it, too!” A thoughtful look crossed Justin’s face before it crumpled and he gave a short nod of his head. “Told ya.”

Wade chuckled, crossing his arms over his chest. His chest swelled as he sucked in a deep breath of air before letting it out through his nose. He twisted his mouth to the side before bowing his head, a smile coming to his face.

“Alright, alright, take five a minute break, you’ve all been working hard,” he said running his hands up over his face and into his hair, droplets of sweat flying into the air. “But, hurry back. We’ve got a lot of work to do.” He clapped Joey on the back as the boys let out sighs of relief. “You’re doing a good job, guys. Really."

“Thanks, Wade,” Lance said, clapping the choreographer on the shoulder as he made his way over to Annaleigh. He reached out and tapped her shoe as he dropped down next to her. “Having fun watching us die?”

“Watching you die, maybe,” Annaleigh replied with a hint of a smile. Her smile slowly faded into a sad frown. “I feel bad ‘cause for a while that’s what I wanted.” Lance gave her a look of bewilderment. “Not to die Lance-A-Snot, just that you’d hurt. ‘Cause I was hurtin’ and you weren’ there.”

Lance closed his eyes, tilting his head back until the crown of his head lightly bumped the wall behind him. She angled her head to the side as she watched him, feeling wave after wave of guilt washed over her, radiating from his body.

“What?” she asked him.

“Nothing,” Lance replied after a moment of silence before the corners of his lips twitched upwards. “I’m here now. I’m be damned—“ Annaleigh gave him a pointed look and he chuckled. “I’ll make sure I won’t be gone if something like that happens again.”

“Blaaaahhh,” Annaleigh made a face as she stuck out her tongue. “I don’t know how you can put up with me. I was a jerk to you, and Darren, when all you wanted ta do was help.”

“You’ve always hated it when people wanted to help you,” Lance said with a snort. “That much about you hasn’t changed. Not a lot has. Which I’m happy about.”

“Yeah, well, you still sweat like a pig, which I’m not happy didn’ change,” Annaleigh said with a roll of her eyes, shoving his shoulder. Lance laughed quietly, rolling his eyes. “You and D have been great. I jus’…I worry ‘bout mom and dad a lot. I mean, they were bes’ friends before they got married and you saw how that turned out.”

“You’re not them,” Lance replied with a brief shake of his head. He looked over at Wade as he called the boys back to rehearsal. He bumped her shoulder with his own. “Anyway, for the record, D and I ‘put up with you’ because you’re worth it.” Annaleigh laughed lightly and Lance threw her a wink before getting back up to his feet to start rehearsals up again.

He then turned around and pointed his fingers at her. “I’m having trouble with this dance—“

“I’ve noticed,” Annaleigh commented with a half smile. Lance rolled his eyes.

"Are you going to tease me about it or are you going to help me?” he asked, shifting his gaze towards the ceiling.

“Well, I’d have to check my schedule, I’m a pretty busy person, you know,” Annaleigh replied, with a small laugh.

“Lance, come on,” Wade called, clapping his hands together.

Annaleigh gave a roll of her eyes before she gave a brief nod of her head in Lance’s direction. He broke into a grin before making his way over to his place in the triangle the boys formed around JC. “You’re about a half a beat off, by the way,” she called over to him.

Wade glanced over in her direction, his eyes narrowing slightly before he made his way over to the stereo sitting in the corner. Annaleigh put her hands up defensively before she stretched her legs out in front of her, sighing as she stretched out her legs after a long time sitting Indian style.

"Just do the best you can, Lance,” Wade called. “I know this is fast paced, but, I know you can do it.” He planted his hands on his hips as he stood next to the machine. “You should all have the basics of the choreography down; at least the feet. I’ll do it with you this time. Lance and Chris, look over at me if you get lost, Justin and Joey, over at JC. Got it?”

“Yeah, let’s do it,” Justin said, bouncing on the balls of his feet as if he were getting ready to fight someone. He shook out his arms as he did so. “Let’s go.”

“You ready?” Wade asked, looking over at Annaleigh. “Try and pick out the bass line as best as you can.”

“Sure,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head. Wade gave a nod as well before jabbing his thumb into the PLAY button of the black stereo. Four loud clicks filled the air before the music started.

“And 5, 6, 7, 8,” Wade counted aloud, snapping his fingers to mark the beat.

I'm doin' this tonight,
You're probably gonna start a fight.
I know this can't be right.
Hey baby come on

I loved you endlessly,
When you weren't there for me.
So now it's time to leave and make it alone

Annaleigh shifted her gaze down to the bass in her hands. She started finger plucking the strings, tapping her foot on the ground to keep time. The song was pretty face paced and Wade was giving them a pretty impressive routine to dance to. It was a lot of quick steps and sharp shapes and movements with their arms.

The ground shook underneath from the boys’ dance steps. Apart from the music, and Wade’s occasional shouts to keep the boys in time, it was the only sound in the room. Annaleigh’s fingers flew over the frets, moving them as fast as she could to the pace of the song. Her fingers burned, but she knew that the more she played the more she’d build up the calluses to play.

Bye, Bye
Don't wanna be a fool for you
Just another player in your game for two
You may hate me but It ain't no lie
Baby, Bye, Bye, Bye


Bye, Bye
Don't really wanna make it tough
I just wanna tell you that I had enough
It might sound crazy
But, it ain't no lie
Baby, bye, bye, bye

They continued through the rest of the song, pausing occasionally to work out some of the newer movements that they were having trouble with. But, all the boys pushed through. It’s like they’re super human, Annaleigh thought to herself as she watched them. They were just looking so tired and now they look like they could perform at any concert.

It was only a rehearsal, but Justin and JC really looked like they were going all out for the dance. And, Wade was even more impressive than she’d care to admit to. She thought he looked like a kid; couldn’t be any older than fifteen or sixteen. But, he knew his stuff, that was for sure. If he showed them any other dance routines that extravagant, their next performance would blow the roof off any stadium.

“Alright, that’s good,” Wade said as the music came to a pulsing stop. He clapped his hands together before making his way over to the stereo, turning it off. “Great job, boys, really. That’s all for today. Johnny will be pleased to see what you’re able to do.”

“Thanks, dude,” Justin said, hands on his knees breathing heavily. Like the other boys, his face was bright red, and sweat dripped down the sides and front of his face. He straightened and lifted his hand to slap it into Wade’s palm. “Moves are sick.”

“No prob,” Wade replied, clapping Justin on the back before doing the same to the other boys. “Now get some rest. We’ll be doing this again bright and early tomorrow.”

“Just kill me now,” Chris groaned, rubbing at his eyes with the heels of his palm.

“I would, but I’m too tired,” Joey joked. Chris let out a sarcastic laugh, rolling his eyes.

“I need a looooong shower,” JC groaned as he stretched his arms above his head as he shuffled towards the door. “I call first up.” He let out a weak laugh of triumph as the other boys groaned. “Ace, I can start helping you prepare for your auditions afterwards if you’d like.”

“So soon?” Annaleigh asked, her eyes popping open as she looked up at him, still continuing to play the bass in her hands.

“Johnny could come asking you to audition at any time,” JC said with a shrug of his shoulders. “You have to be ready to perform sooner or later.”

Annaleigh gaped at him, not because of the words that came out of his mouth, but because of how one minute he looked the most tired she had ever seen him and the next he was in serious business mode. She wasn’t too surprised about it; she had always heard JC to be described as the serious one in the group, it was just different to hear about it and to see it firsthand.

“…Sure,” Annaleigh managed to get out, nodding her head. JC gave a tired smile before making his way out of the room. She blinked a couple of times before going back to playing the song one last time.

“That was good,” Wade commented, walking towards her, adjusting the strap to the bag he put over his shoulder.

"But?" Annaleigh prompted. Wade pressed his lipstogether and she felt a chill rush through her. "What? What's the matter? What’d I miss?”

“Shouldn’t have done that,” Lance commented in a sing-song voice. “Ace is a perfectionist; hates getting anything and everything wrong.”

Wade chuckled, crouching down beside her. “Sorry,” he apologized, giving her a smile. “I was just saying. You’ve got natural rhythm, which is probably why you’ve been playing the drums for so long.” Annaleig hiked an eyebrow and Wade pressed on. “You need to have fun. You’re so tense, making sure you get everything right; trying to force it out.”

He reached out a hand and plucked at one of the strings. Annaleigh watched it vibrate for a few moments before slapping her hand over top of it, cutting the sound immediately. “You dance right?” he asked, tilting his head to the side. “It’s all about the rhythm and having fun. You should know that.”

Annaleigh got to her feet, tightly gripping the neck of the guitar in her hand. “You’re right, I should,” she replied with a small roll of her eyes. “How’d’you even know that I play the drums an’ dance?” She then stopped and looked over at Lance. “Jaaaames?”

“Just wanted to know more about you, that’s all,” Wade replied with a shrug of his shoulders before Lance could say anything. “It’s like Johnny said, we’d be working close together if you get this job. Figured I’d get a head start on that.”

“Bless your heart,” Annaleigh commented, slowly shaking her head back and forth. “You know there’s a chance I won’ get the job, right?”

“You have to be positive about these things, right?” Wade asked.

“Right, jus’ like I’m positive that where I come from, to get any kind of information like that, I’m getting’ flowers out of it,” Annaleigh replied before reaching out a hand to clap Wade on the shoulder. She then jerked her head to the side, and made her way out of the dance studio with Lance following him.

“Think he’s taken a liking to ya,” Lance commented as he fell into step with her.

“He doesn’ even know me,” Annaleigh protested with a shake of her head.

“So?” Lance asked with a laugh. “Whenever Joey and Kelly are in their off phase it’s not like he knows a girl from a cup of water before he tries to get in their pants.” He nudged her with his elbow. “Since when do you go for the whole courtship angle?”

“Since always,” Annaleigh replied, with a shrug. Her eyebrow twitched. “Not that any suitor has come a knockin’ on my door. Figured my Ma had somethin’ ta do with that. She’s convinced I’ll marry ya someday.”

“That explains why she didn’t make it a big deal that I climbed in through your window all the time,” Lance commented and Annaleigh let out a tinkling laugh.

“Nah, she had other reasons,” Annaleigh replied, waving her hands in the air. Lance blinked, pressing his lips together, sucking in a breath of air. She lifted her hand and brushed her hair back behind her ear. “She and my dad used ta do stuff like that and sneakin’ out to see each other all the time. Dad’s the more overprotective one.”

“Ma was more laid back and liked ta have fun.” She turned and lifted her hand in a small wave as Wade made his way past them, heading towards the front door of the compound. “Anyway, I think, of anythin’, it was my mom that made things go south with my parents.”

“Ace—“

“I know, I’m not them and I know I’m harpin’ on that topic, but you know what it’s like back home,” Annaleigh interrupted him, setting her guitar down onto the couch as she passed it. She crossed her arms over her chest and sat down on the back. “Your relationship with you family is most important apart from your relationship to God. If I don’ have that, I don’ have anythin’.”

“Yeah, I know,” Lance replied with a sigh. “But, I’m your family, too. How many times do I haveta tell you you’re not alone until you believe it?”

Annaleigh gave a half smile. “Keep sayin’ it, then,” she replied quietly. “I’ll believe you, eventually.” Lance put a hand onto of her head before leaning over to press a kiss to her forehead. “See? You keep doin’ stuff like that and my Ma won’t have any other reason to think I’ll marry ya.”

“Well, we could bypass the courtship phase if we did,” Lance commented, scratching the side of his jaw. He gave her a smile of amusement. “But, then what would that mean with you and D? I mean you’ve had the hots for him for a long time.”

“It’d be tough, but…he was the first guy I kissed,” Annaleigh said, a thoughtful look coming to her face. She then grinned, sticking her tongue out between her teeth. “Can’t beat that.”

“Just forget that I was your friend first,” Lance said, his words dripping with sarcasm. “What does that matter when you’re looking for someone long term.” Annaleigh pressed her lips together and punched him on the shoulder.

“Boy, don’t go talkin’ like that. You are long term, James and don’t you forget it,” she said, pointing a warning finger in Lance’s face. Lance’s green eyes widened slightly, putting his hands up defensively. “There’s nothin’ on this Earth that you could do or say ta change that.”

“R-right,” Lance quietly replied, nodding his head, smiling. “Of course, I put up with you this long, what’s the rest of my life.”

“Thought you said I was worth it,” Annaleigh said, hiking an eyebrow.

“’Course you are,” Lance replied. “So is this.” He lifted his index finger and spun it in a circle, indicating the house and everybody in it. “Doing this with you, when you get in, will be worth it.” He glanced over into the kitchen as the phone started ringing before jogging towards it as shouts of, “Telephone” was heard from down the hall from Justin, Joey, and Chris. Lance grabbed the phone and lifted it to his ear.

“Hello?” He spun around and rested his back against the edge of the island. “Yes, she’s here. Hold on.” Lance gripped the mouth piece of the phone between his hands before holding it out towards her. “It’s Miss Caroline.”

Annaleigh grinned before hurrying over to the phone, pulling it out of Lance’s hand, pressing it to her ear. “Ma?” she asked.

Hi, baby. It’s so good to hear your voice.”

“You, too,” Annaleigh said, her cheeks aching seconds later. “I miss you. How are you? You didn’ come home for Christmas? Is everythin’ ok?”

Calm down, calm down. I’m ok, baby, jus’ getting’ my head on straight. I didn’ have a way out to Mississippi for Christmas. I’m sorry, sweetie, I know how important it was for ya. But, I’ve heard great things, not that I’ve had any doubt. Everythin’s jus’ fine.

“With dad?” Annaleigh pressed, glancing over at Lance. “Everythin’s ok between you and dad?” She heard a heavy sigh from the other end.

Sweet Pea, it’s goin’ to be a little while until things work out between the two of us. If they ever do. I don’ want to talk ‘bout that. I jus’ wanted to see how things were goin’ down in Orlando. Your father told me all ‘bout your audition.

Annaleigh squeezed an eye shut, waiting for her mom to start yelling at her, but it didn’t come. As Caroline continued talking, Annaleigh couldn’t help but remove the phone from her ear to stare at it an put it back, surprised to hear her mother sounded….happy? She could practically see the smile on her face.

I don’ know if you’ve already auditioned yet or anythin’. Might I suggest a Reba song? I know how much you love her.

“Actually, mom…I was thinkin’ of doing one of dad’s songs,” Annaleigh replied. There was silence on the other end of the phone.

Your…father’s…? You know about Oathkeeper? But, how? I mean…we didn’ want you to know ‘bout that.

“Everybody here knew about dad,” Annaleigh replied, scratching at the back of her neck. Lance waved a hand in the air to try and get her attention, a confused look on his face. “Justin said he was thinkin’ bout doin’ an Oathkeeper song when he was on Star Search. Lance said he knew. Was this why you didn’ want me to come out to Orlando? Cause people would be puttin’ pressure on me to be like dad?

Can I speak to James, please?”

“She wants to talk to ya,” Annaleigh whispered, holding the phone out to Lance. “And she’s pissed. She called you James.”

“Uh oh,” Lance said as he took the phone from Annaleigh. He cringed before slowly putting it to his ear. “Yes, Miss Caroli-?” Annaleigh could hear her mom’s loud tone as Lance pulled the phone away from his ear. He widened his eyes as he looked over at her before putting the phone back. “Yes, I’m still here. Yes, I did tell her about Oathkeeper.”

Annaleigh stepped closer to Lance, motioning for him to lower the phone so she could put her ear next to his, listening in.


  

Annaleigh watched as JC’s fingers flew over the keyboard that sat in the corner of his room. From what she could tell, standing in the doorway, he wasn’t playing too much of anything, just bits and pieces of something as he waited for her. He occasionally hummed along to the songs; even that was impressive to her. He could be making something up and she wouldn’t know, he was that melodic with his playing.

“You don’t have to stand at the door,” JC suddenly said, causing Annaleigh to jump. He spun around on the stool he was sitting on and gave her a small smile. “You can come in. I don’t bite.”

“Oh, right,” Annaleigh said with a small laugh as she stepped into his, surprisingly, clean room.

“You can put your bass down on the bed,” JC said to her as he got up to close the door. He stopped a couple of steps away before turning back to look at her, shifting his eyebrows upwards into a curious, questioning look.

“Doesn’ bother me,” she said, sticking out her bottom jaw as she shook her head. JC nodded and closed the door.

“We’ll just be working with your voice, today,” JC continued before holding out his hand for the guitar. Annaleigh handed it to him and he set it down onto the mattress. “Especially with your accent.”

“What’s wrong with-?”

“Nothing, Sweetie,” JC interrupted her with a small laugh. “In fact, I think it’s downright adorable, but it’ll be harder for anybody take you seriously if you have a country twang to everything you sing.”

“What’s wrong with-?”

Nothing,” JC insisted. He then put a finger to his chin. “Justin used to sing country for Star Search, and he blasted Garth Brooks in the MMC dressing room all the time. Country’s fine; it’s who you are.” He tilted his head to the side. “Hmmm, maybe we should work on your confidence, first.” Annaleigh “hmph-ed” as she crossed her arms over her chest. “You’re a spit fire, no doubt.

JC then sat down on the piano bench he abandoned. “So, explain to me your background with music, Sweetie,” he suggested. “Your experiences, what you need to work on. You mentioned that you didn’t get into Showstoppers or Attaché. Just so I know exactly what I’m working with, here.”

“Um,” Annaleigh said, clapping her hands together. “Well, my dad was a guitarist in our church band for as long as I can remember. Well, I guess he was in Oathkepper before that, but I didn’ know ‘bout that as you know. Yeah, I’ve been ‘round music all my life. I danced ballet for a while, then jazz, When I was eleven, my dad got me my first drum kit, didn’ stop playin’ the minute I got it.

“I joined the church band the year after and sat on drums ever since. Wasn’ until a little while ago I started on bass. I was jus’ bored one day, helpin’ out at a choir rehearsal and started pickin’ it up. Had a member of the congregation start showin’ me the ropes. Hadn’ thought of makin’ it something I wanted to stick with. I sing a bit, was in church choir for a few years, and thought I was good enough for Showstoppers; this singin’ group at Clinton’s agricultural museum, and Attaché; city’s best show choir. But, didn’ get in to either.”

“They say why?” JC asked, his eyebrows knitting together slightly.

“Didn’ have a strong voice, despite doin’ vocal trainin’ for a little while,” Annaleigh replied. “Granted, I never really practiced all that much. So…”

“Mmmm,” JC said, nodding his head. “Well, if you want to make it here, you’re going to have to practice a lot. You saw what Wade had us doing today.”

“I haven’t seen anything like that, you’re all amazing,” Annaleigh said to him.

“Thanks,” JC replied, “but we wouldn’t be anywhere without our music producers and Wade, and our fans. It’s not all on us.” He pressed his lips together, rubbing his hands together. “Just like your audition isn’t all on you. We’ll all help any way we can.”

He closed one eye slightly. “Now, I know how to play the bass a very tiny bit, so that part will really be up to you, but everything else—“ he put a hand to his chest, “—we’ll help. Any friend of Lance’s is a friend of ours. We want success for you just as much as he does.”

“You probably want my cooking, too,” Annaleigh commented.

“…I’m not ruling that out,” JC said with a small laugh. “Seems to me like you’ll be able to pick things up pretty quickly, it’s just following through that’ll be tough for you, Sweetie.”

“Could you not call me that?” Annaleigh asked, moving to sit down on the edge of JC’s bed.

“I apologize,” JC replied, putting a hand into the air. “It’s a habit. Mind if I ask why?”

Annaleigh was silent for a moment, looking around the room. She had been called 'Sweet Pea' by her parents for as long as she could remember; even, embrassingly enough, having been dressed up as flower a couple of times for Halloween before she had a say in the matter. Any variation of that name just reminded her of everything that had happened. Being in Orlando was like the start of a new life for her, a new name, a new identity.

“My parents name for me is Sweet Pea,” Annaleigh replied after a moment of silence. “Things aren’t goin’ well between ‘em lately.” She let out a small laugh. “Haven’ seen my mom since August, actually. She called today but…wasn’ long ‘fore she was off callin’ home to chew out my dad ‘bout the Oathkeeper thing.”

“I don’t know how you didn’t know about your dad,” JC commented, the confused look intensifying. “I know this isn’t my business, but I’m a little surprised.”

“I’m not,” Annaleigh replied with a shake of her head. “I mean, I am, but I’m not. I’ve always felt like they’ve been keepin’ secrets from me. I mean, I get it, most parents do, to keep their kids safe but…I think there’s more.”

“What do you mean?” JC asked.

“Well, Lance knew about the Oathkeeper thing and never told me about it,” Annaleigh replied and JC nodded his head. “There could be a lot of reasons for that, and I could jus’ be makin’ excuses for him, but I wonder what else he knows ‘bout my parents.”

“Ohhhh,” JC said, nodding his head. “I’m sorry all of that happened. I know I’ll sound like a jerk when I say this, but you can’t dwell on that. Not right now. Family stuff…it can suck, but they’re still your family. They still love you and they always will love you.” He was silent for a moment. “Right now, you need to focus on your love of music and to do everything you can to let it take you as far as it can.”

“Thanks, JC,” Annaleigh said quietly.

“You’re welcome…Ace? Can I call you that?” JC asked.

“Ace is fine,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head.

"So, what makes you think you’re good enough to get into the *NSYNC band?” JC asked, clapping his hands together. “What quality do you think you have that makes you stand out against the others that want to audition for the band?”

"Because, despite everything…I’ve kept going,” Annaleigh replied. “I mean, yes, I can mope and over analyze, and dwell on things, but I think the more I do it, the better it is to move on from it. I’ll always remember my mistakes, and make damn sure I won’ do it again.”

“It’s ok to make mistakes sometimes,” JC reassured her. “Just want to make sure you know that.”

“Do you want to know why people call me ‘Ace’?” Annaleigh asked him and JC nodded his head. The left side of her lips curled up into a smile. “First it was because of my soccer skills, but it’s adapted over the years. People call me ‘Ace’ because, when I finally get something right…I ace it.”

"That’s what I like to hear,” JC said with a grin. “So, if you’re up for it, let’s get started.”

 

End Notes:
I loved writing the Lance/Annaleigh and JC/Annaleigh parts. I'm actually thinking of a JC/Annaleigh side story, too. But, I won't be doing that for a little while.

Fighting Back will be updated again soon.
Here We Go by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Lance starts a fight with his inner demons and Annaleigh auditions for the *NSYNC band.

January 5th, 2000


So how’s everythin’ goin’ over there?” Lance draped his arm over his eyes, pressing his cell phone into his ear as he let out a heavy sigh. Darren chuckled on the other end of the line. “That bad, huh?”

“This is harder than anything else we’ve ever had to do, that’s all,” Lance said, dropping his arm onto his stomach. “Wade’s really been pushing us with choreography this time around.”

Uh oh. How’re you holdin’ up?”

“I’m not that bad anymore…I guess,” Lance said, twisting his mouth to the side. He tapped his thumb against his stomach as he stared up at the ceiling. “Wade knows how to break things down whenever I need help or anything like that. I’ll admit, we all didn’t think he’d be that great, he looks so young, but the guy’s danced with Michael Jackson, he knows what he’s doing.” Darren let out a low whistle. “Yeah.”

Has Ace had her audition, yet?”

“No, Johnny hasn’t asked her to play for him yet,” Lance replied, shaking his head from side to side despite knowing that his friend couldn’t see the movement. “Honestly, I think he’s seeing how well she fits in with us. She’s been working her butt off, though; not just with the bass, but making sure we stay alive.”

Annaleigh had quickly made a difference in the house. The place wasn’t as messy—there was still trash and clothes lying around—the food was better, and their laundry was clean more often. And they hadn’t even asked her to do it. Lance just knew that it was how she was raised; to know that she could go out into the world and do whatever it was she set her mind to, but knows that it was ok to stay at home if she wanted.

While music was clearly something she’s always wanted to take part in, she also learned to take on chores at home to prepare herself for when she would need to take care of her own family. All the same, he knew that it was just her way of saying “thank you” for giving her a place to stay and for helping her with her audition.

Lance let out a small laugh. “But, who really knows what Johnny’s thinking,” he mused. “He’s always keeping one secret or another from us.” Lance slowly lifted an aching leg and crossed it over the other. “He’s come over a few times to get us to start preparing for tour and getting back into the studio. Our first single is releasing soon, too.”

You nervous?”

“You have no idea,” Lance replied, letting out a tired sigh.

They all were, whether or not they wanted to show it. It was their first single release after everything that had happened with Lou. It was funny, they had all just wanted to forget Lou and forget what he had done to them, but no matter how hard they tried he kept popping back up.

First album after Lou.

First single after Lou.

First concert after Lou.

When it all came down to it, everything was because of him. They would never have had Johnny Wright as their manager without him. They wouldn’t have kick started their careers in Germany. They wouldn’t have anything if Lou Pearlman hadn’t seen something special in them. They all knew that they wouldn’t be as successful without Lou, and they all knew that he would probably be brought up in every interview from here on out.

Lance was brave enough to rip up his check from his ex-boss that day, but despite how badly he felt, he knew that Chris had to have felt a million times worse. If it wasn’t for him, *NSYNC wouldn’t be around. Justin and JC were the leaders of the group, but no one could deny that the group, in a way, was made for Chris.

You ok?

“Just tired,” Lance replied. “How’s everything back home?”

Ohh, it’s the same. Meredith has moved ta Nashville to start work on her album,” Darren replied. “Not that that’s really a big surprise, huh?

Lance felt a new sense of energy slide into his body. Meredith Edwards was in Showstoppers and Attaché with the two of them. She had a lovely voice and showcased her talent as one of *NSYNC’s opening acts during their first US tour. She had that perfect country twang in her voice, but she had a unique poppy style to her songs that got people’s attention.

“Not really,” Lance agreed, a smile coming to his face, “but that’s great. I’m happy for her. She always said she’d move out there, I just wondered how long it’d take.”

I’ve heard some parts of her song, they’re soundin’ really good. Whole town is proud of her. And you, too. Everyone’s lookin’ to see what it is that you boys can come up with. And ta see if Ace makes it in.

“No pressure there,” Lance replied with a roll of his eyes. He then slowly pushed himself up into a sitting position, resting his back against his pillows, his abs muscles burning. “So, uh, Ace told me that you kissed her.”

Not too surprised ‘bout that,” Darren said after clearing his throat. Lance could hear a small laugh in his voice. “That was nothing. It was innocent.

“You know how she feels about you,” Lance said. “Well, now you know. What would be the point to get her hopes up if she was going to leave?” He got silence of the other end. Lance removed his phone from his ear and glanced at the screen to see if they got disconnected. “D? You still there?”

I’m still here,” Darren replied after a moment of silence. “Lance, I didn’ do that jus’ to play with her…I’ve always liked her.”

“You…what?” Lance asked, his eyes popping. He suddenly sat up in bed, letting out a loud groan as his sore stomach muscles moved. “Are you saying what I think you’re saying?”

Yeahhhh,” Darren replied, holding out the word. “I am. I’ve always had feelins for her. I never noticed at first cause…well, I guess I was just a stupid teenager. Then I jus’ always thought she was sweet on you so I never did anythin’ ‘bout it.

“Me?” Lance repeated.

Come on, I mean, I called her Bookworm and Anal-Lee and teased her every chance I got,” Darren continued. “I mean, sure, at first I was being a bratty kid, but later on, it was…I don’ know, fun.” Lance heard him sigh. “I kissed her as a way to let her go. And because I’ve wanted ta do it for a while.

“Have you told her that?” Lance asked, running a hand over his face.

Naw.” Lance could picture Darren’s face scrunching up as he shook his head. “I’ve been there for her while you were out on the road, it’s your turn, Lance. ‘Sides, I know how busy your schedule is, when Ace gets the job; she’d be just as busy. Wouldn’t know when I’d get to see her if I wanted ta start somethin’ up.

There wasn’t any sadness in Darren’s tone; Lance could tell he was being realistic about everything. His life really was busy and hectic and as a result he had missed being there for his friends at an important time in their lives.

So new tour, huh? Probably’ll have more girls than ever flockin’ to see y’all perform.” Lance could practically hear the smile in his voice.

“Ha, yeah,” Lance replied, letting out a weak laugh. “Joey and Chris will have a good time. And I’ll be hearing about it for days on end. Justin’s with Britney, JC is still on and off with Bobbie and I’m-”

Free as a jay bird,” Darren replied, interrupting his friend.

“I was going to say not interested in sleeping around, but that works, too,” Lance replied with a short laugh.

Jus’ take the time to get ta know a girl. No strings or expectations or anythin’. Can’t remember the last time you’ve been out on a date.

Lance opened and closed his mouth. It had been a long time since he had been on a date. Last he remembered was going to homecoming with his friend, Lacey. That wasn’t really a date though; just two friends spending a night out with their large group of friends. He had a good time with her…whenever he wasn’t thinking about the fact that Lynn Harless and Justin Timberlake had called to get him to try out for *NSYNC. Lacey didn’t seem to mind, she was having enough fun at the dance.

When he did date, he was considered to be a “safe date.” He never tried anything; he’d give nothing more than a quick kiss on the cheek at the end of the night, but nothing more. Sure, it had made him popular, but he was simply raised that way. He treated girls the way he wanted boys out there to treat his sister.

“Yeah, it’s been a while,” Lance finally answered. “Doesn’t look like Ace is going to have that problem; Wade took one look at her and was smitten.” Darren let out a loud laugh.

Knowin’ Ace, she’s not goin’ to make it easy for ‘im,” Darren commented.

“Trust me, she hasn’t,” Lance replied, his lips curling up into a smile. “Honestly, I think she’s going to make him work hard for it.” He laughed. “As he should. It’s how it’s done in the South.”

“Uh oh, don’ tell me you’re getting’ all hip-hop on me,” Annaleigh commented as she came into Lance’s room, blowing on her fingers. “You’ve been spendin’ too much time with Justin.”

“What’s the matter?” Lance asked, giving her a curious look.

“My fingers are burning,” Annaleigh replied, belly flopping onto his bed. “And my throat is killing me. JC had me doing those weird vocal exercises—“

“The ‘Moo’ exercise?” Lance asked, arching an eyebrow and she nodded.

“I felt so stupid doing those,” Annaleigh added.

“Good, that means you were doing them right,” Lance laughed before holding the phone out towards her. Annaleigh took it gingerly in her fingers before holding it up to her ear.

“Hey, D,” she greeted him. Lance watched as she rolled her eyes. “Because you always call at this time.”

Lance closed his eyes, leaning back against his pillows as he listened to them talk, a smile coming to his face. It was almost like being at home again, the three of them hanging out. Maybe four if Darren’s sister was with them. He could practically picture them all sitting around a fire at the Back of 80 or drinking beers at the firehouse.

Every time he left home to work, it became more and more life a second life.

Or like a dream.

Ow!” Lance shouted seconds after a stinging slap was sent to his leg. He snapped his eyes open and looked over at Annaleigh. “What was that for?”

“Did you tell D about Wade?” Annaleigh asked, setting his phone down onto the bed, pressing a button on it. Lance could hear his friend’s breathing on the other end as he nodded his head. “Why?”

“Come on, it’s cute,” Lance laughed. “The guy is smitten. What’s the worst that could happen?”

“You heard what Johnny said,” Annaleigh said to him. “No romantic entanglements or whatever.”

First off, since when do you follow the rules perfectly?” Darren asked, his voice echoing around the room. Lance gave Annaleigh a pointed look and she briefly closed her eyes, glancing at the ceiling, a smirk coming to her face. “Second; you’re not even part of the band yet so it’s not like you’re breakin’ any rules.” There was a shuffling sound on his end of the line. “I’ve gotta go, I got an essay I need to get writin’. I’ll call y’all later.

“See ya, D,” Annaleigh said, pushing Lane’s phone back towards him.

Lance picked it up in his hand and bid goodbye to Darren before hanging up the phone. “So, how’s things with JC going?” he asked.

“I’m goin’ to find ya a girlfriend,” Annaleigh said, propping her head up with her hand. Lance blinked in surprise at the sudden change in topics. He gave her a confused look and she gave him a smile. “So you can stop messin’ with my love life.” She clicked her tongue. “JC and Justin have really been helpin’ me out. Couldn’ thank em enough for the help.”

“You can’t wait around for him forever,” Lance replied, lifting a hand to scratch at his eyebrow. “Seriously, Ace.” He pressed his lips together for a moment.

He wanted to tell her about Darren, but didn’t think it’d make any difference. What would be the point of getting her hopes up at such an important part of her life? On the one hand, he knew how happy it’d make her, on the other hand, it wasn’t great timing. And he was allowing her to further her career.

“I think you like him more now that he was there for you after everything with your mom,” Lance continued, realizing she wasn’t going to say anything. “What happened with your mom? You never told me.”

“Went to help D pack up to head down to UMiss,” Annaleigh replied, “and when I got back, all her stuff was gone. Not much more to it than that. No note or anythin’. Wasn’t ‘till a couple days later she finally called to apologize ta me.”

She pursed her lips for a moment. “For a while, I thought it was my fault. Like there was somethin’ I was doin’ wrong. But, then I couldn’ think of anythin’ and it really hit me that I could really jus’ be them. Thing is, I couldn’t begin ta believe that they jus’ fell out of love with each other, ‘cause I know they still do. God must have a different plan for them then I thought.”

“Everything happens for a reason,” Lance said, patting the spot beside him. Annaleigh moved to lie down beside him. “You’ve got home here, so it’s not too bad.”

“You’re the best, James,” Annaleigh said quietly before poking him in the side. “I’m still goin’ to find you a girlfriend.”

Lance closed an eye, wincing slightly. “You don’t have to do that,” he said quietly.

He loudly cleared his throat before turning his head to look at her. Just tell her. She’s your best friend. Heat rushed up his body and he could feel his armpits prickle and flood with sweat. He opened his mouth, but no sound came out. What would she say? How would she react?

Annaleigh suddenly let out a groan. “Just pray for me,” she said to him.

“Sure,” Lance replied with a nod of his head. Pray for me, too. Long and hard.

“So, is it going to be normal to find her in your bed all the time?” Joey asked with a smirk as he stepped into Lance’s room.

“You’re just jealous,” Lance replied, giving Joey a lazy smile. Annaleigh let out a loud laugh. Joey smiled, briefly closing his eyes, shaking his head, looking as if he was trying to stop himself from laughing. He then jumped onto the bed, causing it to shake.

“Johnny just called,” he announced, rubbing his eye. “Wants you to audition for him tomorrow.” He then reached out a hand and slapped the top of Lance’s foot. “Tour meeting, too. Press and stuff for the new single and No Strings Attached and setting up photo shoots and finishing up in the studio and stuff.” Lance made a noise in the back of his throat, rubbing at his eyes.

That’s what you’re callin’ your new album?” Annaleigh asked, her eyebrows knitting together.

“We’ve had our strings cut, baby!” Joey cheered, punching the air with his fist before reaching for the earring in his ear. “We’re not God damn, puppets! We’re people.”

He enjoyed doing press and photo shoots, but they took sooo long to do. It was always a daylong event, sometimes two days as they spent the whole weekend doing pictures of magazine after magazine, website after website, and much more.

 Doing all of that around finishing recording their album, which they were scheduled to finish in about three weeks. It was all just stacking on top of each other. It was already making him so exhausted, but he was excited at the same time. They were finally making the album they wanted to make. They were calling the shots.

Joey was write, they were free.

Lance lifted his hand into the air, letting out a, “Whoohoo.”

Joey then put a hand over his mouth. “Whoops, sorry. I said, ‘God damn’.”

“Shoot, whoever told you you’re funny…you aint,” Annaleigh said, sitting up. Joey’s eyes popped open, and his jaw dropped as Lance threw his head back, letting out a loud laugh. He clapped his hands together, kicking the air with his legs, ignoring his aching muscles.

“I like her,” Joey said, pointing his finger in her direction. “I think she’ll make a great addition to the group.” Annaleigh gave a bright toothy smile over her shoulder.

“So do I,” Lance replied.

“And Joey and Chris are helpin’ keep me sane,” Annaleigh said, reaching out a hand to pinch Joey’s cheeks. “You guys are fun. I can see why y’all are so close.”

“Yup, just like husband and wife,” Joey said with a nod of his head. “Nah, we’re like brothers. We get on each other’s nerves, but I know they’ll have my back no matter what.”

“That’s right, brother,” Lance replied, lifting his hand, curling his fingers into a fist. Joey smiled, bumping his fist with his own. If you can’t tell your brother, who can you tell?


 

January 6th, 2000

“Start whenever you’re ready.”

Annaleigh nodded a few times, flexing his fingers over and over again before placing them on the strings of the bass in her hands before removing them, flexing her fingers again.  The microphone let out a squeal of feedback as the neck of her guitar bumped the stand.

“S-sorry,” Annaleigh said her voice cracking as she looked over at Johnny, who was sitting behind the glass wall in front of her. Justin, Joey, Chris, and Lance sat behind him, watching her. She let out a slow breath, closing her eyes before whispering a quick prayer, shifting her weight from foot to foot.

“Hey.” Annaleigh turned her head over towards the piano that JC was sitting at. He was watching her, eyebrows knitted together, a look of curiosity and worry on his face. “You’ll be ok. You’ve been working hard. Nerves are normal, just get through it.”

He stepped over to her and lowered his voice. “You’re not alone, sweetheart. Sorry, uh…Ace. We’re all pulling for you,” he said. “Ok? Johnny just wants to see what you can do, which, is pretty impressive for someone who hasn’t been playing long. You’ll be great, ok? Have faith in yourself, we all have faith in you.”

“Yeah, girl, you can do it.” Justin’s voice suddenly came through the speakers. Annaleigh turned her head and laughed when she spotted him practically laying on top of Johnny to reach the buttons on the switchboard. “Show us what you’ve got.”

“You can do it, Ace, just stay calm,” Lance called.

“You’ve got it,” JC said, gently squeezing her shoulder. “Just take a deep breath in.” His chest swelled as he sucked in a breath or air. Annaleigh did the same before letting it out. “Good. I’m ready when you are.”

“Ok, I’m ready,” Annaleigh said, reaching to twist a tuning knob on the bass. She adjusted the strap, bringing the bass up higher, and gave JC a nod.

“Start whenever you’re ready,” Johnny repeated. “Let’s hear it.”

“Girl, would you quit worryin’?”

Annaleigh blinked as an orange basketball was shot at her face. “Naw, now I haveta worry ‘bout breakin’ my nose,” Annaleigh replied, bouncing the ball at her feet a couple of times before chest passing it back to Justin. “That’ll be a great first impression.”

“Haha, no one could forget you in that case,” Just said with a shrug, bouncing the ball between his feet. He then turned and pushed off the ground, easily sinking a layup before passing the ball back to her. “Quit trippin’, seriously. Your audition was great.”

“Yeah, we’ll see,” Annaleigh replied. She flipped the ball into the air and as it bounced against the ground, she adjusted the waistband of her shorts. She caught the ball in her hands and pushed off the balls of her feet, shooting the ball towards the basket, making a face as it bounced off the rim. “It’s almost six; didn’t Johnny say he’d call around this time?”

“Chris, your personal secretary,” Justin said, rolling his “R” as he gave a bow, “are fielding all the calls, don’t worry.” He clapped his hands together before holding them out towards her. “Now. You. Me. Basketball.”

“Yes, Tarzan,” Annaleigh replied, thumping her chest with her fist, lowering her voice.

She did the best she could with her audition, but she couldn’t help but wonder what it was that she did wrong. The questions came flying out of her mouth the minute she stepped out of the sound booth. Johnny had reassured her that she did well. It was just knowing that the CD in his hands had her audition on it, and he was leaving the room with it, really put everything into perspective.

She didn’t have control over it anymore.

That was her problem; she just wanted to have control over everything, or just to have everything laid out in front of her. She simply didn’t like not knowing things.

“Alright, bring it on, Shorty,” Justin said as he passed the ball to her.

“Excuse me?” Annaleigh asked, straightening, giving him a confused look. She gasped when Justin slapped the ball out of her hands and quickly turned to sink a layup. “Heyyyy.”

“Tarzan two, Jane zero,” Justin grunted, thumping his fist to his chest. Justin jogged after the basketball as it rolled into the grass. “You’re really tweaked about this.” He lifted the ball and spun it on his finger. “We’ve got a lot to prove, too. It’s like C said, you’re not alone, literally.”

“I just don’t want ta have ta go home after all that,” Annaleigh replied. Justin chuckled, walking over to her. He mimed tossing the ball towards her, but pressed the ball into her chest.

“I’d be surprised if Johnny didn’t pick you,” Justin said to her. “He and Lance were talking about you for, like, half an hour after you were done.” He lifted his hand to adjust the beanie on his head. “I’d say you’ve got the spot.”

Annaleigh looked around the front lawn of the compound as golden rays from the setting sun started casting long shadows over the grass and driveway. A gentle breeze blew and she lifted her hand to wipe the sweat from her forehead before adjusting the strap to her sports bra before planting it on her hip. She lifted her watch to her face.

6:00pm.

“It’s six,” she said, turning to glance at the house.  “It’s six. Johnny’s goin’ ta call at any minute. Oh my go-oh my stars!” She practically started to fan herself.

“Girl, would you chill?” Justin said with a laugh, taking a step back from her. “You’re worse than C when he’s had too many pixie sticks.” He bounced the ball a couple of times on the ground before lifting it, trying to roll the ball across one arm, across his chest, and then to his other arm. He then tucked the ball under his right arm, lifting his left hand to adjust the earring in his left ear. “And, trust me, that’s bad.”

Annaleigh then jumped forward, smacking the ball out from his arm. She aligned herself up at the side of the basket, and pushed off the balls of her feet, shooting the ball upwards. She watched as the ball arched through the air, bounced off the rim, and slide through the next. “Naw, that’s bad,” she said, giving him a smile.

“Lucky shot,” Justin grumbled.

“Shoot, I know it was,” Annaleigh replied, giving him an odd look. “I’m terrible at basketball.”

“I wasn’t goin’ ta say anything,” Justin said with a grin.

“I thank ya, kindly,” Annaleigh replied, her eyebrow twitching upwards as she relaxed into a smile. “Do you miss bein’ home?”

“All the time,” Justin replied with a nod of his head and a shrug of his shoulders. “At first I had my Ma with me all the time, if you remember, but I’m missing home more now that you’re here.” Annaleigh gave him a confused look. “Your accent.”

“Ahhh, I see,” Annaleigh replied, nodding her head.

“Figure you’d have to have problems with your family or something if you didn’t miss it after you leave,” Justin commented, scratching at his bare chest. “Your family’s always going to be there, you know?” Annaleigh’s eyes narrowed slightly as he set the ball on the ground, sitting down on top of it. He rested his arms on his knees. “You really didn’t know about your dad’s band?”

“Not a thing,” Annaleigh replied, with a shake of her head. “Why?”

“Just find it kind of weird,” Justin replied with a shrug. “I mean, his band was pretty big.” He lifted a hand to scratch the side of his jaw. “I think I have one of his albums around somewhere if you want to check it out.”

“That’d be awesome, Justin,” Annaleigh said with a smile. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Justin replied. He then lifted his foot, grasping the ball between his hands to keep his balance to tap her knee. “You’re from the Mississippi, you know as well as I do that family is important. The way I see it, you’ve been a part of the *NSYNC family since I met you. I always said Lance’s friends are my friends.”

“Y’all are too nice,” Annaleigh said with a shake of her head. “I guess now I can see why all those girls throw themselves atcha.”

“It’s not like we’re ugly,” Justin said with a snort.

“That’s debatable,” Annaleigh shot back and Justin’s eyebrows shot up.

“Ouch,” he said with a laugh. “Barely know Chris and you’re already raggin’ on him.” He lifted the corners of his lips into a smile, throwing a wink in her direction. Annaleigh laughed. “There we go, mission accomplished. I bet for five minutes you haven’t thought about Johnny or your audition.”

Annaleigh’s laughter slowly died down, but she kept the smile on her face. In that moment, she couldn’t imagine going back home. Everything in Orlando was different; it was just…different. The city was so big and it felt as sunny as it was. While in Clinton she did have the sense of security knowing the whole town was looking out for her, but it was also better to know that she could go out and get in trouble without having her parents find out about it before she could make it home while living in Orlando.

She stopped to really think about that. *NSYNC are the hottest band on the planet, people are trying to find out any little piece of information on them, she thought, tapping her finger to her chest. Wouldn’t surprise me if Johnny had eyes all over the place, making sure they weren’t getting into trouble. And dad shouldn’t be home by himself…

Clinton and Orlando were both places she liked being in, it was just hard choosing one or the other.

“Guys,” Chris called making his way out of the house, waving the phone in his hand. “Johnny wants us all dressed and at Jive Records in half an hour.” He tapped the antenna against his teeth before pointing it over at her. “You, too.”

“How did he sound?” Annaleigh asked, instantly making her way towards him. “Did he sound happy? Was he talking in a sad tone? What?”

“Ok…” Chris said, giving her a weird stare. He looked over at Justin who shrugged. “He sounded like Johnny?”

“It’s girl-talk, I don’t get it either,” Justin said with a shrug as he got to his feet.

“Ok, Curly-Cue,” Chris said with a laugh. “You’ve been dating Britney for how long? And you don’t know what any of that means?” He grinned. “That is if you even have any time to use your mouths for anything other than kissing.”

“Alright, listen, Pineapple-Head,” Justin said, giving Chris a smug smile. “First, you’re just jealous.” Chris hiked an eyebrow, looking Justin up and down. “And second…” Justin trailed off, his smile fading slightly. “Brit’s the brains of the operation, I just kinda, smile and nod in all the right places.”

“She’s trained you well, Poodle Boy,” Chris said, letting out a bark of laughter. Justin clicked his tongue, looking like he wanted to insult Chris back, but merely stuck his tongue out at him. “Anna, I’d get in the shower first if I were you.”

“I don’ mind waitin’ for everyone,” Annaleigh replied.

“Trust me, you don’t want to be in there after Joey,” Justin said with a laugh, shaking his head. He moved towards her to put his hand on the small of her back, pushing her towards the house. “Go on, ladies first. We better get used to it.”

“And I better not find any hair in the drain, young lady,” Chris said, wagging a finger in her direction. “It’s already bad enough having to clean up after Joey; I don’t need to do it for a second person.”

“I’m goin’, I’m goin’,” Annaleigh said, putting her hands up defensively, making her way inside the house.

She showered and changed faster than she had before. She removed the mirror from the wall and leaned it up against the leg of her bed, sitting cross legged on the floor in front of her. She threw on a light amount of makeup, capping it off with a layer of lip gloss before attacking her hair.

“And here I thought Justin was the one that always took the longest to get ready,” Lance joked as he stepped into the room.

“Hair up or down?” Annaleigh asked, looking at his reflection. She gave him a questioning look, hair splayed over her shoulders before she gathered her hair into her hands, holding it up.

“Definitely up,” Lance replied. “If you want to go for the budding country star look.”

“Is that what this looks like?” Annaleigh asked, stretching her legs out in front of her, resting her bare feet against the glass of the mirror.

“You saw how Johnny was dressed when he came over here,” Lance said with a small laugh. “T-shirt, jeans, his baseball cap. He’s always laid back, but knows when to lay down the law. That’s what we like about him.”

Annaleigh twisted her mouth to the side as she peered at Lance’s long sleeved red shirt and jeans and then down at her high waist flowy white skirt and jean shirt. “Figured if I didn’ get the part, he’d at least remember be as lookin’ professional,” Annaleigh commented.

“He’ll remember you if you act like yourself,” Lance replied. “Give me your bag.” Annaleigh reached under her bed and grasped the strap to her bag. With a single tug, she pulled her bag out and pushed it towards Lance. He lifted it and dug his hand through the top before throwing a dark green beanie at the back of her head, shortly followed by a matching sleeveless shirt.

“Now, that’s more you; the same girl I would go creek stomping with, and who wasn’t scared to gut a fish for dinner.” Annaleigh relaxed into a smile. “You’ve never let anything stop you from doing what you want to do, even if they don’t turn out the way you want.” Lance smiled at her through the mirror. “Hair down. And keep the skirt.”

“Since when did you become so fashionable?” Annaleigh asked as she got to her feet. She smoothed out the back of her skirt as she turned to face him. “I’ve seen what y’all wore in y’alls first photo shoots.” She shook her head, letting out a low whistle.

“It’s what I get for hanging out with you and Jasmine so much,” Lance replied with a short laugh. “Go change and meet us outside. I’ll tell the boys to give you good compliments.”

“Well, if things go south, I’ll at least remember y’all be to pretty decent fellas,” Annaleigh said with a laugh before making her way back into the bathroom, kicking the door shut behind her with her foot.

She quickly changed out of her jean shirt and into the green sleeveless shirt. She tucked the end of her shirt into the waistband of her skirt before sliding the hat over her hair. She hurried to slip on a pair of high tops and grabbed her purse, hiking it over her shoulder as she made her way out of the house.

Minutes later, she found herself sitting in Johnny’s office at Jive records, looking at plaque after plaque of golden albums: New Kids on the Block, Backstreet Boys, *NSYNC, Britney Spears, and more. She was barely listening to what Johnny was saying to them. She occasionally bobbed her head in a nod, muttering an “mmhmm” every once in a while, but she couldn’t parrot back what it was he was saying if she was to be asked.

Suddenly, a thick stack of papers was sitting in front of her, making her jump. She looked up at Johnny, who was holding a pen out towards her.

“Sorry, what’d you say?” she asked him.

Johnny laughed quietly. “I said that you, Little Lady, had impressed all of us with what you were able to do,” Johnny replied. “The same rules that I had said at the compound still applies.”

Annaleigh hesitated, her hand hovering above the pen. She slowly reached out and took it with a shaking hand, using her free hand to pull the stack of paper towards her. Annaleigh let out a breath of air through her nose before placing the tip of her pen to the paper.

“If it makes you feel any better, we had my uncle read through our contracts with Jive after…well, everything,” JC said, speaking through the silence of the room. “He’s a lawyer. He helped us out the first time. I mean, we trust Johnny, but it was just to cover our bases, y’know?”

Annaleigh looked up at Johnny and he slowly nodded his head. Seeing that, Annaleigh pressed the tip to the paper and signed her name in her loopy, flourish of handwriting. She stared down at her signature before setting her pen down onto the stack of papers, pushing it back towards Johnny.

“Welcome to the *NSYNC band,” Johnny said as he gathered the papers, tapping them against the table. “Congratulations.”

Annaleigh grinned.

Her dreams were starting to come true. And she was doing it with her best friend.

End Notes:
I went back and forth over whether or not I was going to show Annaleigh's full audition, and decided to just do a flashback for it. I hope you're all not too mad. I might do it as a deleted scene.
What Was That? by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Lance gets confused by an event at the house and Annaleigh's first day as part of the *NSYNC band.

January 10th, 2000


“Where’s my bass—Yeah, dad, I’m payin’ attention—where’re my picks—so how’s your ankle—just had the tongs, where’d I put ‘em down—Jus’ take it easy, don’ push yourself to get back to work early—Did I already make juice?”

"In your room, in your guitar case, next to the juice, yes, you did," Lance answered her questions.

His head slowly shifting back and forth as he watched Annaleigh rush around the *NSYNC house, from the kitchen to her room, half dressed, a phone to her ear, talking a mile a minute. He had given up trying to calm her down. He wasn’t surprised she was freaking out as today was her first official day as part of the *NSYNC band.

After signing Johnny’s contract, and various (long) phone calls home, the guys took Annaleigh out to celebrate her induction to the *NSYNC family. They had gone to a couple clubs, dancing and having a good time; blowing off some steam and excitement before the hard work really began.

“It’s almost like watching a tennis match,” Joey commented from Lance’s left with a short laugh.

“Williams sisters?” Chris asked, from Lance’s right.

“Mmmhmmmm,” Joey replied, slowly nodding his head, a smile coming to his face. “Look, I think she’s actually wearing a hole in the floor.” A wicked grin came to his face. “I don’t know if this is better or worse than when Just is on the phone with Britney.”

“Definitely better,” Chris replied. “Justin’s idea of cooking is making cereal, and he can’t do that and talk on the phone at the same time.” Chris slapped his hands down onto the table and leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes, breathing back through his nose. “Mmmmmm.”

“And I think those are homemade biscuits, too,” Joey said with a smile. “I think I’m in love.”

“Does the name Kelly mean anything to you?” Lance asked, briefly closing his eyes. Joey’s eyes suddenly widened as a look of horror crossed his face.

“I was supposed to call her last night,” he gasped.

 He jumped to his feet, moving to hurry out of the room, practically colliding with Annaleigh as she rounded the corner, now fully dressed, and running a brush through her hair. He pulled the phone out of her hand, and jabbed his thumb into the button to end the call before his thumbs started to fly over the buttons as he dialed his girlfriend’s number.

“Bye, dad?” Annaleigh said as more of a question, staring at the empty space in her hand before looking back over at Joey, who tapped his foot on the ground as he waited to see if she was going to answer. She then planted her hand on her hip, arching an eyebrow, as she looked up at him. “Thanks, Joe.”

“Yep,” Joey replied, popping his ‘p’ giving her a bright smile.

“Miss Diane and Mister James say ‘hi’,” Annaleigh said with a brief shake of her head in Joey’s direction, before turning to face Lance. “And so does my dad, and D and—here are the tongs!

“How’d they take the news?” Lance asked.

“Happy as can be—breakfast is almost ready,” Annaleigh replied, clicking the tongs together. “Only, now I’m really startin’ to wonder if I really want ta do this—someone go wake up Justin and JC.”

“Does the fact that you signed a contract mean anything to you?” Chris asked, letting out a mock gasp of shock and offense. He started jabbing at the table with his finger. “You have agreed that you’ll stick around, help us make music for our fans and more importantly…feed us.”

Chris!” Lance said loudly.

“What?” Chris asked, his eyes widening. “She knows I think she’s a good cook. And aren’t southern women taught how to make food and stuff?”

“Well…yeah,” Lance slowly replied. Chris gave him a smug look. “But, that doesn’t mean you can just expect her to do that stuff for you.”

“Considerin’ it’s either that or his whinin’ it won’ be that big a deal,” Annaleigh said with a short laugh before turning back towards the stove, grabbing tongs to start plating the pieces of bacon that was cooking. “And I’ve said already that I don’ mind. ‘Sides, it’s not like your cookin’s that much better than his, I bet—don’t even think about it.”

Annaleigh clicked the tongs menacingly in Joey’s direction as he reached his hand out towards the bowl of hash browns. Joey’s eyes widened as he pulled his hand back, practically cradling against his chest. “You didn’ even say grace yet.”

Lance made a noise in the back of his throat. She did have a point. He was taught by his mom when he was growing up, and there were some instances where he made dinner for his family whenever his parents were running late from work but when he was out on the road, touring, and travelling, they ate out a lot. And in some cases, they ate very little as they were so busy touring nonstop.

There wasn’t any time for him to really hone in on his skills. That was part of the reason why his mom had joined them in Germany. Not only was he homesick and called her to come out with him, but the minute she had seen how overworked, exhausted, and skinny they were, she knew she had to step in and help Lynn make sure that Lou had their best interest at heart.  

Ha, Lance thought to himself. Best interest my foot.

“Were you able to get in contact with your mom?” Chris asked. “Tell her the good news?”

“Left a message,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug as she turned to set the plate of bacon down onto the kitchen table before retrieving the tray of biscuits, bowl of hash browns, bowl of scrambled eggs and a pitcher of juice. “That's the best I could do-Could someone go get Justin and JC?”

“Alright, alright, I’ll get them,” Lance said as he pushed his chair back to get to his feet. He stretched his arms over his head. “And would you stop worrying? You’re doing that double conversation thing, again.”

“Sorry,” Annaleigh apologized as she started to pass out plates. Chris instantly grabbed his loading it up with food.

Lance made his way through the halls of the Compound, first stopping at Justin’s door, rapping on it with his knuckles. “Hey, Just,” he called. There was a moment before he got a muffled, “Yeah” in response. Lance grasped the door handle and twisted it, pushing the door open. He stopped short as he spotted not only Justin, but Britney Spears shuffling around the room, grabbing clothes off the floor. “Oh! Sorry!”

“Its fine,” Justin said as he pulled a t-shirt over his head. “Nothing happened.”

“I-I,” Lance stammered, blinking repeatedly. “I…never said…” He cleared his throat, feeling his face grow warm. “Sorry. I'm sorry.” He lifted his hand in a small wave. “Hi, Britney.”

“Hi, Lance,” Britney replied with a half smile, her cheeks a light pink. She gathered her clothes in her arms and brushed past him, heading towards the bathroom.

“What’s up?” Justin asked, then reaching for a pair of jeans.

“Huh?” Lance asked, shifting his gaze over to Justin as his friend slid his legs into his jeans before he started jumping up and down, pulling his jeans up over his waist. “O-oh, uh…breakfast is ready. Annaleigh has it on the table.” Lance dug his toe into the carpet.

Calm down, Lance, you know how serious Brit and Justin are. This is no big deal. But, he wasn’t embarrassed, that wasn’t what was bothering him. He was uncomfortable, and…curious? But, about what? He had seen his friends go out on dates, what was it that he didn’t understand?

“I’ll let her know to put out another plate for her if she wants to stay,” Lance continued, scratching at the back of his neck.

“Cool, thanks,” Justin replied, stretching his arms over his head, moving to stand up on his tip toes. “Was there anything else you needed?”

“Nah, man,” Lance replied, shaking his head. “Just need to get C up.”

“Good luck with that,” Justin said with a snort. Lance chuckled in agreement before allowing his lips to curl up into a half smile.

“S’funny, I was just thinking the same thing about you two,” Lance said, angling his head to the side, indicating the spot Britney was standing just moments before. Justin briefly closed his eyes before letting out a short laugh before lifting his hand, giving him the finger.

Lance chuckled before turning away from the door, heading towards JC’s room, but Britney’s voice stopped him. “JC’s in the shower,” she called and Lance spun around to face her.

“Thanks,” Lance replied before sliding around her to bang hi fist on the door. “C, get out. Its breakfast time and Brit needs to use the bathroom.”

Alright, alright, hold on.”

Seconds later, steam and hot air billowed out of the bathroom as JC made his way out of the room, a towel wrapped around his waist, brushing his teeth, white foam coating his lips. “Go on in,” he managed to get out around his toothbrush, jerking his thumb over his shoulder.

“You’re a real gentleman, JC,” Britney said with a brief roll of her eyes. All the same, she gave him a bright smile before making her way into the bathroom, kicking the door shut behind her.

 JC chuckled, resuming brushing his teeth.”You said breakfast was ready?” He blinked, swiping his tongue around his mouth to gather the foam from his toothpaste. “What?” JC looked down at his chest. “Did I drip?”

Lance shifted his gaze up to JC’s face, feeling his eyes widen, feeling his heart speed up at the idea of being caught. He briefly shook his head, sucking in a breath of air. He swallowed thickly. “No,” he managed to get out, trying to speak as normally as he could. “You’re…fine.”

“Cool,” JC replied, sticking his toothbrush back into his mouth. “I’ll be there in a bit.”

“Sssure,” Lance slowly replied. He felt his eyebrows knit together and he let out a shaky breath of air, trying to steady his breathing. What…was that? Lance put a hand to his head, blinking rapidly, his mind swirling. He followed the pungent smell of onions back to the kitchen, a part of him glad to see that there was still food left on the table.

“All this food I made and you still jus’ want to eat cereal?” Annaleigh asked, shaking her head back and forth as she watched Justin dig the wooden spoon in his hand into the large mixing bowl filled with fruity pebbles.

“Just watch, he’ll eat that, too,” Lance replied, moving to sit in hi abandoned seat. “You get an extra plate for Britney?”

“Justin already let me know in between his fifth mouthful of pebbles,” she replied and Justin gave a shrug of his shoulders, before giving her a pointed look. “And I promise I won’t freak out again. I already embarrassed myself enough the first time.” Justin gave a bright smile. “Anyway, the more the merrier; I’m still getting’ used to makin’ big meals so the more of y’all that take seconds, go right ahead. You’ll probably be eatin’ leftovers for a long time.”

“If it’s anything like this, I won’t have a problem with it,” Joey said, his right cheek puffing out from where he stored his food to allow himself to talk.

“Great,” JC said with a loud yawn as he made his way into the kitchen, rubbing at his eyes. “We can explain that to Wade when he works your fat ass into the ground.” He dropped down into the empty seat next to Annaleigh before starting to load his plate with food.”This smells really good.”

“More food, more energy, Skinny Minnie,” Joey said with a shrug of his shoulders, rubbing his hand over his red and brown hair. He then elbowed Lance in the side. “You ok? You’re really quiet this morning.”

“Just tired, that’s all,” Lance replied, stabbing his eggs with his fork. “Barely got any sleep last night.”

“You’re not the only one,” Chris said in a sing-song voice, smiling in Justin’s direction. “Or have you fallen back into your nightly—“

“Or daily,” Joey interrupted him.

“Exercise routine?” Chris finished, giving Justin a toothy smile.

“Y’all are worse than a bunch of girls,” Justin said with a roll of his eyes. He looked over at Annaleigh, giving her an apologetic look and she lifted her hand in the air as she gulped down some juice, showing that it didn’t bother her. “Nothing happened, alright? Brit just slept over.”

“Right,” Joey agreed.

“Would you tell them?” Justin asked Lance, indicating everybody at the table. “She’s just on a break from working on her new album, like us. She was in town, I invited her over, and that’s all. We were just catching up.”

“If that’s what you kids are calling it these days,” Chris said, contorting his voice to make him sound older. He squinted his eyes, pretending to peer over glasses, and made groaning sounds at ever slight movement. “You kids and your slang.”

“Moldy Oldie,” Justin muttered. “Tell ‘em, Lance; nothing happened.”

“What?” Lance asked, blinking, snapping to attention.

He shook his head back and forth, trying to focus on what it was that they were saying. But, he couldn’t…for whatever reason. He briefly glanced over at Britney as she joined everybody at the table. He shifted in his seat, giving her a smile of greeting. Britney smiled back, albeit a little embarrassingly.

“Oh yeah, nothing happened,” Lance replied.

“Are sure you're ok?” JC asked. His fork was halfway to his mouth. His eyebrows wrinkled together as a look of concern crossed his face. “You’re kind of…out of it this morning.” He then set down his fork and passed Britney the pitcher of juice.

“Thank you,” Britney chirped.

“No, I’m fine…just a lot on my mind,” Lance replied with a shrug of his shoulders. JC’s eyes narrowed slightly and Lance dropped his gaze to his lap for a moment before lifting his head, looking at him. What is going on? I can’t be…nervous around JC. I mean…he’s JC. “Studio work and dancing and all.”

“Relax,” JC said, waving his hand in the air, giving Lance a bright smile. “We’re all getting back into the swing of things; it’ll take a little bit to get used to everything.” He then winked in Lance’s direction. Lance pressed his lips together, fighting back the smile that was working its way onto his face. “Trust me; you’ve worked your ass off during all of this and it shows. You’re a great performer; you just need to believe that you are.”

“Thanks,” Lance replied, feeling his face grow hot.

He bowed his head for a moment before reaching for his glass of juice, quickly gulping it down, hoping that the cool temperature of the beverage would cool him down. And hopefully give him brain freeze bad enough to get the thought of JC winking at him out of his head.

“So, I don’t know when you’ll be done,” Lance said, shifting his gaze to Annaleigh, “but text when you are and we can wait for you or have the driver come pick you up.”

“Yeah, thanks,” Annaleigh replied.

“You’ll do great, just don’t be Anal-Lee again,” Lance said to her with a half smile. He watched as she rolled her brwn eyes as the other boys exchanged looks of amusement. “Just remember that it’s your first day; you have a lot of days ahead of you to get things down as perfectly as you want it to be.” 

Annaleigh reached out her hand, holding her pinky out towards him. “Just as long as you promise not to be so worried ‘bout your dancin’, Bass-Hole."

"Deal," Lance replied, hooking his pinky with hers. He smiled as they shook thier hands up and down three times.

"JC’s right," she added. "You’ve come miles since your start.” Lance felt the muscles in his face want to contort into making a face, and tried his hardest to look passice. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Lance replied with a shake of his head. He gave her another bright smile. "Just glad you're here."


“Uh, are you A.C.?” Annaleigh stepped farther into the rehearsal space at Jive Records, giving the boy that held a keyboard under his arm, a confused look. He brushed his dark hair from his eyes with his shoulder as he stood up straight. “Are you? The new bass player?”

“You mean Ace?” Annaleigh asked, her eyebrows shooting up.

“Yeah, that sounds right,” the boy replied, giving a half smile, a dimple appearing in his cheek. “Sorry, I’m not great with names.”

“That’s ok,” Annaleigh replied, offering her hand towards him. “I’m Annaleigh Carr; my friends call me Ace sometimes.”

“Cool, I’m Mika Hamilton,” he said, managing to offer Annaleigh his hand, and shake it. “It’s short for Michelangelo, but…I don’t know anyone that calls me that.” She continued to give him a confused look. “Something came up with their old player, um…Dave, I think. So…here I am.”

“Yeah, I’m replacin’ someone too,” Annaleigh replied. “Obviously.” She lifted her hands in the air.

“You’re late,” Johnny's familiar voice reached her ears and Annaleigh cringed as she turned towards him. “But, now that both of you are here, I can introduce you to everybody.”

Johnny swung his arm out to indicate the other three men in the room. “Ok, first we have Kevin Antunes,” Johnny explained. The African American man nodded his head, giving a two-fingered salute.”He is not only the keyboardist, but he’s also the musical director. All credit goes to this main man, here. You’ll report to him each day and let him know if you’re going to be late, if you have to miss rehearsal—which I hope you don’t—what have you. He knows his stuff.”

“And this over here is Billy Ashbaugh; the drummer.” He motioned towards Annaleigh. “You two will be the backbone of the *NSYNC band, the driving force. It’s really important that you two keep things steady, and keep everyone on the beat.”

“Yes, sir,” Annaleigh replied, nodding her head. She felt Lance prod her in the back. “I mean, Johnny. Sorry.”

“On guitar, we have Ruben Ruiz. We also have some saxophones and trumpeters as part of the group. We have guitarists and keyboard players doubled for lead and rhythmic players.” Johnny nodded towards Mika. “You’ll be backing Kevin in this group, so you two will be working close together as well. And everybody, this is Annaleigh Carr who will be playing bass, and Michael—“

“Mika,” Mika interrupted Johnny, shifting his weight from foot to foot. “Mika Hamilton.”

“My apologies,” Johnny replied, clasping his hands together. “Alright, we’ve got a lot of work to do. I’ll leave you all to it.” Johnny smiled, rubbing his hands together before making his way out of the room.

“You can set up over here,” Billy said, making his way over to her. He offered her his hand and Annaleigh slipped her tiny hand into his, shaking it. He then turned her hand over to look at her palm, letting out a short laugh. “Do you play with a pick or do you fingerpick?”

“Fingerpick,” Annaleigh replied. “Why?”

“Because you barely have any calluses,” Billy replied. “Your fingers are going to burn. I’d suggest using a pick every once in a while, until you think you’re ready to go through ten…maybe thirteen songs. You’d be playing an upwards of two…maybe three hours judging on intermission. I mean, the boys get some breaks for wardrobe changes and everything, but we still have to entertain the crowd.”

“Three hours?” Annaleigh asked, feeling her eyes pop open.

“Have you ever been to a concert?” Billy asked.

“Well, yeah,” Annaleigh replied, nodding her head. “Reba McEntire and Trace Adkins. It didn’ feel like gosh darn three hours when I was there.”

“That’s the point; shows are supposed to make you forget everything else. But, don’t worry, if you’re anything like your dad, you’ll work it out no problem,” Billy said as he showed her over to where she could plug her bass into an amp. There was already a chord sitting on top of the box. Annaleigh made a noise in the back of her throat. “What?”

“Guess I jus’ didn’ realize how…big he was,” Annaleigh replied, slowly setting her bass to the floor, unzipping it. “An’ his band, I mean.” I can’t believe I never knew about him and Oathkeeper. We tell each other everything. He loves music as much as I do; so what was it that made him try and keep me away from it? She looked over at Billy and saw the look of surprise on his face. “It’s surprisin’ I know.”

“Wait…” Billy said quietly. “You don’t think you got in just because of your dad, do you?”

Annaleigh blinked, taken aback. “Not until now, I wasn’t,” she replied, tossing her guitar case aside, reaching for the chord on the amp.

“You got in because of your talent,” Billy said to her.

“Uh-huh,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head. “I know.” She plugged one end of the chord into her bass and the other into the amp, flicking it on. A low hum filled the air before she adjusted the knobs of the amp, setting them to the levels perfect for her before testing the sound by plucking a string. She then turned to face him, sitting down on top of the amp, giving him a smile. “This is all jus’ happenin’ so fast. I mean, I’ve always wanted an opportunity like this, but I never thought what I’d do if I got it.”

“Well, answer me this…why did you want to try out in the first place?” Billy asked, lifting his foot to rest it beside her on the amp. “Why is this important to you?”

Because I wanted to get as far away from home drama as possible, Annaleigh thought to herself before giving an odd twitch of her head. Now that I’m here…I just want to be sure dad’s ok. With the money, we’d be better off…so what’s the real reason? And mom and dad aren’t even around to fight with each other. Why’d you want to leave home so badly?

She already knew the answer to that: for a while, all she wanted to know was what had gone wrong with their relationship, if it was her fault, or something they had done. Now that they weren’t together and now that she was older…she knew the bomb would drop eventually. And whatever it was, whatever was so bad that it split them up, she didn’t think she really was ready to know.

“Because I want ta see what this is all about,” Annaleigh replied, waving her hand in the air. “Seems like a pretty big adventure. If you knew me as a kid, you’d know that that’s what I always wanted ta do; go on adventures.” Billy twisted his mouth to the side in an amused smile. “An’ I had Lance there for each one. Things were pretty rocky with us for a short while, mainly ‘cause of me but he’s always been there. I jus’ want ta show him that I support him and I’ll—“ She wiggled the guitar in her hands, “—back him up when he needs someone.”

Billy chuckled, reaching up his hand to run his fingers through his bleached blonde hair. “I see,” he commented, slowly nodding his head. “Everybody needs a support system and that’s what we are to the boys. I think you’ll fit in well.”

“I thank ya kindly,” Annaleigh replied with a smile and a nod of her head. She then looked over in Mika’s direction, where he was talking with Kevin as he set up his keyboard. “What do you know ‘bout Mika?”

“Not much,” Billy replied with a shake of his head. “Just know that he’s covering on such short notice.” He gave a shrug. “Good enough to get in; like you.”

“Are we going to get a chance to play at all, today?” Ruben asked with a short laugh, playing a quick succession of notes on his guitar. “I’m ready to go.”

“Alright, alright,” Kevin said, waving his hand in the air. “First, I’d like to welcome you two to the *NSYNC band. We’re excited that you’ll be working with us, and putting together a good show for the boys. We’ll be working closely with Wade and the boys, as well as their music producers to get an idea of the songs, and how we’ll be performing them. It’ll be a lot of hard work as it gets closer to the album release date, but for now, we’ll just be working on their older songs.”

“We all know the older songs well, but Mika and Annaleigh, just work through them as best as you can,” Kevin explained.

He crossed the room to his pile of bags and pulled out two, thick binders. Annaleigh took it in her hand, blinking in surprise when she felt how heavy it actually was. She started flipping through the pages: I Want You Back, I Drive Myself Crazy, I Thought She Knew, Here We Go, and on and on. And there’d be more songs as soon as the album was finished.

“Here’s your sheet music. Eventually, we’d like you to be off the books as best as possible, but even then, sometimes we need to read off our music since we have so many changes to things. We like to have fun, we like to have fun when we’re performing, but don’t come in here without practicing, because I’ll know. It’s not just hurting yourself, it’s hurting everybody here, because then, we’ll be spending too much time catching everybody up. Just practice and ask for help if you need it. That’s all I ask.”

Shoot, you’re also askin’ for an arm and a leg, Annaleigh thought to herself, continue flipping through the pages.

“Alright, we’ll start with…I Want You Back,” Kevin said as he reached into his bag for a second time, producing a large CD case. Annaleigh looked around the room, spotting the stereo system she hadn’t noticed was there before. “Let’s bring some energy into this place.” He loudly clapped his hands together. Annaleigh flipped through the pages to find the song, “We’ll listen to it first; mime along to the song to get a feel for it.”

Moments later, Justin’s familiar vocals filled the gray room.

You're all I ever wanted
You're all I ever needed, yeah
So tell me what you do now
Cause (I, I, I, I, I,) I want you back

It's hard to say I'm sorry
It's hard to make the things I did undone
A lesson I've learned too well, for sure
So don't hang up the phone now
I'm trying to figure out just what to do
I'm going crazy without you

You're all I ever wanted
You're all I ever needed, yeah
So tell me what to do now
When I want you back

“Good job, kid,” Billy said, thumping Annaleigh’s shoulder with his fist, his drumsticks smacking the back of her head. “You’ve got natural talent like I said.” He took his drumsticks in both hands and played a quick roll on her arm. “See you tomorrow.”

“Bye,” Annaleigh laughed as she started to pack up her stuff. She let out a sigh, suddenly realizing how tired she was. She reached into her pocket for her phone and pressed a button on the side to check to see what time it was. “Wow, I didn’ know it had gotten that late.” She quickly sent a text to Lance before putting her phone back into her pocket.

“Better get used to it,” Mika commented, with a short laugh as he shook out a cover. “Help me with this?” Annaleigh nodded her head, setting her bass up against the amp. “You did a great job today.”

“Thanks,” Annaleigh replied, reaching for the other end of the cover. She lifted it off the floor and moved it to cover the keyboard. “You’re not bringin’ this home with ya?”

“After lugging it all the way over here? Fat chance,” Mika replied, rolling his hazel eyes. He lifted his hand and scratched at the back of his head, closing one eye. Annaleigh felt herself smile as she watched him. “What?”

“Nothing,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug, trying to hold back her smile. “It’s…my dad kinda does the same thin’…that’s all.” She felt her face heat up as the words came out of her mouth. “Guess I miss home more than I thought.”

“Where are you from?” Mika asked. Her eyes narrowed slightly as she peered over at him. “Just curious.”

“Mississippi,” Annaleigh replied, turning back towards her guitar, pulling the amp chord out of the end.

“Well, that explains your accent,” Mike commented and Annaleigh snorted.

“Clinton ta be more precise,” she explained. “Lance and I are old friends, known him since I was about seven. He was like the brother I never had; helpful, annoyin’, but I could always trust ‘im.”

“Oh, you’re an only child?” Mika asked, his eyebrows shooting up. “So’m I.” His mouth twitched. “After my dad pretty much ran out on my mom even before I was born; it’s basically just been the two of us.”

Annaleigh paused in packing up her stuff, blinking rapidly. That sounds familiar, she thought to herself, darting out her tongue to lick at her suddenly dry lips. “That sucks,” she commented, wrapping the cord around her hand before setting it on top of the amp. “I know tha feelin’; my mom’s not ‘round much as of late.”

“Oh…I’m sorry,” Mika said from behind her.

“Thank ya,” Annaleigh replied, keeping her gaze on her task at hand; putting her bass guitar in its case. “It’s hard sometimes, but we’re getting’ through it. Same with you and your mom, I s’pose?” She then hauled her case onto her shoulder, turning around to face him. Her eyes suddenly popped open and put a hand over her mouth. “Oh my stars, I didn’ mean that—well, I guess I did—don’ answer if ya don’ wan to—but, I’m kinda curious—jus’ ignore me—or answer—I don’ know why I asked. I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok,” Mika replied with a small laugh, putting his hands up defensively. “People always said I’m easy to talk to. That’s not a loaded question or anything; it’s fine.” Annaleigh got to her feet, reaching for her thick binder of music, sliding it, as well as she could, into the side pocket of her case. She could instantly feel the weight difference on her back as she made her way towards the door, letting out a yawn. Mika fell into step beside her. “Yeah, things were pretty rough for a few years, but it’s ok. It’s fine; I mean you get it.”

“Yeah, that’s…true…” Annaleigh trailed off, stopping just outside of the door. Wade leaned against the opposite wall, spinning a single rose in his hands.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Mika said, skirting around her. Annaleigh nodded her head as she gave Wade a confused look.

“What are you doin’?” she asked.

“You said that where you come from you usually get flowers or something,” Wade said, pushing himself off of the wall he was leaning against. Annaleigh’s jaw dropped just slightly, her eyebrows lowering. He held the flower out towards her. “Here.”

“Thanks…I guess,” Annaleigh replied, reaching out her hand to take the floor. She jerked her thumb over her shoulder, turning to look at the room she had just left. Ruben and Kevin were cleaning up the room. “You…do know I’m in the band.”

“That’s what the flower Is for,” Wade replied with a nod of his head.

Yeah, right, Annaleigh thought to herself, hiking an eyebrow.

Wade slid his hands into the back pockets of his jeans and gave Annaleigh a wide smile. “Congratulations. I heard your audition recording; it was pretty sick,” he commented.

“Mmhmmm,” Annaleigh replied with a roll of her eyes, brushing past him, making her way towards the exit of the building. She let out a heavy sigh when she heard Wade’s footsteps hurrying behind her. “M’not interested and Johnny specifically said in the rules, that—“

“I know the rules,” Wade replied, lifting his hands defensively. “I’m not trying anything. I just figure since we’ll be working together, we should at least get to know each other. I mean, we’re going to be around each other for a while, it makes sense, don’t you think?” Annaleigh squinted down at the rose in her hand before peering up at him, hiking an eyebrow. “And here I thought Southerners were supposed to be friendly people.”

Annaleigh opened and closed her mouth for a moment before putting her hand in the air, speeding up her pace. Wade sped up as well, putting a hand on her shoulder. “That was a joke,” he said with a half smile. “I didn’t mean to insult you.”

“So, how much did James tell ya ‘bout me?” Annaleigh asked, crossing her arms over her chest, the rose passing below her nose. She quickly took a sniff, holding back a smile as she did so.

“James, huh?” Wade asked, his eyebrows shooting up. “Lance must be in trouble. He didn’t tell me a lot, but then again, I didn’t ask a lot.”

“That’s surprisin’,” Annaleigh replied, deadpan. They made it to the front doors and she pushed it open, a blast of warm, humid, Orlando air hitting her in the face. Calm down, Ace, he’s just curious about you. You’re new and you have to work together…it wouldn’t hurt to get to know him. You said you weren’t interested and he’s ok with it. “Ok, so you know enough ‘bout me from James, tell me somethin’ ‘bout you.”

“Ah, so you are getting interested,” Wade said as an amused smile came to his face, crossing his arms over his chest. Annaleigh turned to face him. He lifted a hand to scratch at his chin. “That’s good. I’m making some progress.”

Annaleigh blinked, staring blankly at Wade for a moment before letting out a bark of laughter, shaking her head. She clicked her tongue. “Bless your heart,” she said to him, adjusting her case. “You haven’ answered my question.”

She moved to step by him and he stopped her, grabbing her arm. A little too hard. Annaleigh glanced down at his hand before looking up at him. Wade gave a small, apologetic smile, loosening his grip just slightly.

“Ok,” he said, shifting his gaze towards the sky, a thoughtful look crossing his face. He closed one eye before his face cleared and he gave her a smile. “I’m a hard worker.”

“Given your line of business, I’m not surprised,” Annaleigh commented. They turned to look out over the parking lot when they heard a series of car honks. “That’s my ride.”

“Well, I won’t waste any more of your time tonight,” Wade said, gently squeezing Annaleigh’s arm. She swore if he had enough nerve, he probably would’ve kissed the back of her hand. “I’ll see you tomorrow and I’m looking forward to working with you.”

He threw a wink in her direction, giving her arm another squeeze before making his way past her, adjusting the strap to his dance bag. Annaleigh watched him for a moment before making her way over to the *NSYNC car.

“Boy’s too big for his britches,” she said with a roll of her eyes. Nevertheless, she made sure she didn’t crush the rose as she slid it into the pocket of her bass guitar.

“What was that?” Joey all but shouted from the car window as she neared.

“Ya got me,” Annaleigh replied with a twitch of her eyebrow.

End Notes:
I hope you all liked this chapter. This is really where the story starts to pick up.
Life in the Fast Lane by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
On *NSYNC's day off before the AMAs, they head to Disney World.

January 15th, 2000


Lance blinked his eyes open, blinking against the harsh sunlight before he rolled onto his back, rubbing at his eyes; seconds before Justin came barreling into his room, jumping on top of him.

“Ooof,” Lance grunted. “Not again, Just.” He glared up at Justin as he started bouncing up and down on his bed, his curls flying through the air. “I already told you and Chris, I’m not playing ‘The Floor Is Lava’ again; not if you’re going to use me as a stepping stone. Didn’t you and Chris play enough last night?”

Their lives were starting to get busy all over again. Last night they had flown out to Hollywood to attend a part for Teen People to get their name out there before the release of Bye Bye Bye on the 17th. They had an inkling that the song would do well and that people would enjoy it, but wouldn’t really know until about a week after the song was released. It was a scary, but exciting moment at the same time.

While Joey and JC immediately crashed as soon as they got back to the compound, Lance had stayed up a little while longer to tell Annaleigh all about the party as she had to stay behind to rehearse, before heading to bed. Justin and Chris, as usual, continued to feed off the buzz and excitement from the party and tried to burn off the excess energy by any means possible.

“No, you dork!” Justin said as he stopped jumping. He reached for the extra pillow on Lance’s bed and smacked him in the face with it. “Come on, today’s a big day. It’s our day off! Our last day off until—“

“The AMAs,” Lance finished for Justin, now wide awake. They had a full day of dress rehearsal the next day, and then the awards the day after.

It was finally happening; the fans were getting to see what they’ve been working on for months. They were all incredibly proud of what they’ve been accomplishing; they couldn’t wait to have everybody experience it with them.

Of course, that meant a boatload of interviews and photo shoots were going to be rolling in and they’d have to get through each one with as much energy as possible. That started to get pretty hard to do after getting the same questions over and over again. And he knew, for sure, that this time they’d constantly be bombarded with questions about Lou.

Not that he could really blame them. It was a shock for himself, his friends, and his family; for anybody to hear about what was going on. What was even more surprising was, not only did it happen to them; it had also happened with the Backstreet Boys. Who knew what other bands from Orlando, managed by Lou had gone through the same thing. Who knew just how much money had had been collecting while they were working their asses off?

At the same time, no one could ever really talk about it. Signing the Non-Disclosure Agreement, they couldn’t even talk to their closest friends and family in specific details about what had happened. Lance wasn’t really sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing; on the one hand, he wanted everyone to know just how bad of a businessman Lou was, but on the other, it was kind of embarrassing. How did they not notice something was going on?

“We’re taking Anna to Disney World, remember?” Justin asked, still jumping up and down. “Come on, let’s get going. She has the day off, too.” He jumped backwards off of Lance’s bed and landed on the floor with a thump. “Come on!”

“I’m comin’, I’m comin’,” Lance replied, lifting his hands to rub at his eyes. “Hold your horses, would ya? I jus’ got up.”

“Uh oh, your accent’s coming,” Justin said with a teasing grin. “I’m making ya mad, aren’t I?” Lance sighed before allowing a small chuckle shake his shoulders. Sometimes, he couldn’t understand how Justin, or Chris for that matter, had so much energy.

“Get out so I can change,” Lance said, running a hand over his face.

When was anybody gonna to tell me I’m performin’ at the gosh darn AMAs?!”

“Or maybe not,” Lance replied as Justin’s eyes widened. “Quick! Lock the door.” Justin looked like he was going to move in that direction and hesitated. “Trust me, Just, you haven’t seen her when she’s mad. She’ll throw all that Southern hospitality stuff out the window.”

“But—“

“Trust me, all that ‘never act ugly in public’ crap doesn’t matter if you make her mad enough,” Lance said in a warning tone, barely talking above a whisper. “Trust me; she’s great at hiding her emotions until she explodes. Literally. Lock the door.”

“Too late,” Annaleigh said, as she barged into the room, practically popping a door sized hole into the wall as she pushed it open. Lance could practically feel the annoyance radiating off of her body despite the sweet smile on her face. “Justin. James.”

“Oh, God, you’re like my mom,” Justin groaned, making a face, watching as Annaleigh crossed her arms over her chest, tapping her foot.

“Worse,” Lance said as he removed the blankets and sheets from around his waist, swinging his legs over the side of his bed. “She’s my mom.” Not that he could blame her; his mom had been around for her more than her own mother had been at times. Lance put his hands up defensively. “I know you’re mad but-”

“I’m not mad,” Annaleigh replied, her eyebrows shooting up. “I’m irked, I’m bugged, I’m peeved, I’m—“

“Scared,” Lance finished for her, quickly pinpointing the underlying emotion sitting in her brown eyes.

“Which is why, we’re going to Disney World,” Justin said with a bright smile, putting his arms around her shoulders, “to take your mind off of it. We didn’t want to tell you because we didn’t want you to freak out…” He paused for a moment. “More than you already have, anyway.”

“Besides, we’ve had the stage and everything planned out for a few months, now,” Lance quickly jumped in to explain, keeping a close eye on her expression. “You’ll either be in a pit or behind a curtain playing, no one will see you.”

“Not like they pay attention to who plays the music anyway,” Justin muttered. Annaleigh elbowed him in the side and Lance shot him an annoyed look. “What?” His eyes widened. “I’m just saying.” He then gave Lance a pointed look. “You know I’m right.”

“Despite that, we wouldn’t have anything if it wasn’t for you guys playing,” Lance said, trying to reassure his friend. “We do appreciate everything you guys do.” He hiked an eyebrow in Justin’s direction. “Right?”

“Right,” Justin replied, nodding his head, his curls flying back and forth. “Anyway, we have these awesome marionettes shaped like us, right?” He held out his hands and wiggled his fingers, moving his hands up and down. “And we have this screen showing these hands like puppeteers going the whole time as if they’re making us and our back up dancers move. And our backup dances are floating off the ground on these wires! It’s the bomb.”

“You’ll be fine,” Lance said to Annaleigh, moving past her to get to his closet. He pulled the doors open and reached for a pair of jeans. He turned to face her as he slid his legs into his jeans. He started to jump up and down as he pulled them up over his hips before buttoning them. “You’ve been practicing ‘Bye Bye Bye’ non-stop for a week, you’ll have no problem with it.”

“And if you mess up, no one will be able to see you,” Justin said with a bright smile, getting another jab to his side.

“Justin!” Lance said with a frown.

“I’m just sayin’,” Justin replied. He then put his arm on top of Annaleigh’s head. “Ok, girl, how ‘bout this; I get one of your dad’s albums and we’ll play it in the car on the way.” Annaleigh’s eyes narrowed as she looked up at him. “And I’ll buy you the biggest funnel cake you can eat.”

“Hmm, fried food,” Lance said, his words dripping with sarcasm. “You really know how to charm a southern girl.” Justin just smiled.

Annaleigh then finally broke down into a smile as she looked up at him. “You’re lucky you’re a charmer, Timberlake,” she replied. “But, I would like some warnin’ on somethin’ as big as that next time, ok? Or else you’d really see what I’m like when I’m mad.”

Lance pressed his lips together; feeling a pain of guilt hit his stomach. He wanted so badly to tell her about her dad, and about her half brother, but he and Darren had promised his dad he wouldn’t say anything.

A part of him wanted to be the loyal and trustworthy son, but another part of him wanted to be the best friend she could always count on. They could tell each other everything, but even he knew that something like this could mess absolutely everything up. Given the recent changes in her life, it was best to just keep quiet until the time was right.

Justin put his hands up defensively a he backed away towards the door. “Might be a good time to tell you that you could be walking the red carpet with us,” he said before turning and rushing out of the room.

“What?” Annaleigh yelped, peering after him. She then turned towards Lance, her eyes widening. “Naw, I can’ do that.”

“You want to be in the *NSYNC band performing in front of thousands of people a night and you’re worried about walking down a red carpet?” Lance asked. He started shifting through his closet, looking at shirts. “For a pageant girl, you’re really self-conscious.”

“Ex-pageant girl,” Annaleigh instantly corrected him. He didn’t have to turn around to know that she had crossed her arms over her chest, shifting her weight to one leg, popping out her hip.

“My mistake,” Lance replied with a short laugh, reaching for a shirt.

“That’s not your color,” Annaleigh said, stepping up beside him, gently slapping at his wrist, stopping him from grabbing a teal shirt. “Boy, I swear, you forgot how ta dress yourself now that ya got people doin’ it for ya.”

“Ha, freakin’, ha,” Lance said in a monotone.

“You know I’m right,” Annaleigh replied, handing him a short-sleeved navy t-shirt.

“And you know I’m right, you just don’t want to have to say anything about it,” Lance said with a sigh, taking the shirt from her with a nod of thanks.

Annaleigh pursed her lips for a moment before planting her hands on her hips. “Because then it’d make it all too real,” she replied. Lance gave her a confused look before pulling the shirt up over his head. “Everythin’.”

“That’s not a bad thing is it?” Lance asked. “You’ve always said it yourself, you wanted to get out of Clinton, see what the world had to offer you.”

“Yeah, but now I wanna go back,” Annaleigh replied, crossing her arms over her chest, resting her back against the compressed folded doors of his closet. “With the AMAs, with everythin’ I kinda feel like I was caught with my pants down. I mean, I knew what I was signin’ up for, but I don’ think I really know what I’m signin’ up for.”

Lance moved to sit down on his bed, the mattress bouncing slightly as he clasped his hands in his lap. There was really no way for him to explain to her exactly what was going to happen because he could never entirely explain what it was like being in *NSYNC. The only people who really knew were JC, Justin, Joey, and Chris. That was part of the reason why they were so close, why they were brothers; there was no one else in the world that knew what they were going through.

Sure there were a handful of other boy bands out there, namely the Backstreet Boys, that were going through similar things. But there was no one who was going through the exact same things as them. They were on a special journey; one he didn’t think would ever stop twisting and turning but he would enjoy the ride as long as it lasted.

*NSYNC was growing in popularity by the day, bringing more pressures to continue making good music, but also bringing more excitement to starting their new journey doing what they wanted to do. The best part was that he could do it with his best friend. It was scary for him at first, but luckily for her, she’d have someone from home to help her out.

 “You’re signing up to start your life: leaving your parent drama behind, never having to worry if they’re going to be fighting or reconciling, and seeing if this is something you really want to do,” Lance replied. “You can be an entirely different person, or discover yourself.” He then pointed a warning finger in her direction. “But, you can’t cut out Clinton all together; I mean it’s your home and you can only run away from it for so long before you start to miss it and its people. I mean, your dad was the one who really got you into music.”

“Yeah, and then I followed you and Darren around, doin’ whatever you two do,” Annaleigh replied, waving her hand in the air. Lance watched as she tucked her hand back into her crossed arms before shrugging her shoulders. “You know me; I don’ like bein’ left behind or left outta things. I always felt that way and you always made sure to include me in things.”

“Aw, it’s no big deal,” Lance replied, waving a hand in the air. “Don’t tell D but you make life a lot more interesting.”

A small smile came to Annaleigh’s face as she dropped her gaze to the floor. She used her shoulder to brush her hair out of her face before looking back up at him. “I remember after Miss Diane told ya ‘bout my parents fightin’ all the time,” she said, lifting her gaze to look at him, “you’d come over to my house every day to make sure I was ok, draggin’ Darren along with ya.”

“You never seemed to have a problem with that,” Lance replied, hiking an eyebrow before relaxing into a smile. “In his case anyway.”

“Aw, hush,” Annaleigh said, making a face after she clicked her tongue. Lance chuckled, shaking his head slightly. “’Sides, I shouldn’t be talkin’ ‘bout this right now, y’alls song is bein’ released at the AMAs in two days and you’re up for an award. That’s huge.”

“Yeah, you’re going to see what Lance the Superstar is all about,” Lance replied, buffing his finger nails on his chest.

“Oh, so you mean I can watch all you boys crash and burn tryin’ ta pick up the ladies?” Annaleigh asked as she lifted her hand up to her forehead making an ‘L’ before mouthing the word, “Loser.”

Lance put his hand to his forehead, using his index, middle, and ring finger into the shape of a ‘W’ mouthing back, “Whatever.” He relaxed into a grin as he dropped his hand into his lap. “We better hurry if you want to hit as many of the ride s at Disney as possible. You still have homework to do, young lady.” Annaleigh stuck her tongue out at him.

Annaleigh had always hated being the youngest in any situation. Luckily, Justin was about her age, a little less than a year older. Lance made it a point to tease her about it any chance he got. Justin was almost done with his school work for his senior year, while Annaleigh was finishing up her Junior year.

“Don’t remind me,” Annaleigh said with a roll of her eyes. “You’re not being a great example Mr. College Dropout.”

Lance chuckled, scratching the side of his jaw. Finishing high school was easy enough, he was already in his senior year by the time *NSYNC started. All he had to do was take a few classes through a program at a local college, but doing the same for college was harder. He had at least gone through one semester, but as the popularity of his band grew, school went by the wayside.

“Look,” Lance said, sliding off of his bed, allowing his feet to touch the floor with a soft thump. “I know things weren’t great with us when I got back home last month, and I know I missed out on a lot when you needed me around, but I’ll always be here for you.” He put his hands on her shoulders, gently shaking her. “I promise you, you’ll be ok.”

“Don’t make promises you can’t keep, Lance,” Annaleigh replied as a half smile came to her face. She prodded him in the chest with her finger. “Because I can guarantee you, I might throw up at the AMAs tomorrow.”

“Well, then I’d still be right, because you’ll be ok afterwards,” Lance replied with a shrug and a smug smile. He then put his arm around her shoulder, leading her out of his room. “Just like you’ll be ok after throwing up after riding Splash Mountain twenty thousand times in a row.” He pulled her towards him in a hug, rubbing his hand up and down her arm. “Seriously though, I know I wasn’t there when everything with your mom happened—“

“I…actually, I want ta apologize ‘bout that,” Annaleigh said, interrupting Lance as she stepped out from underneath his arm, brushing her hair back behind her ears. “It wasn’ fair for me to put all that on ya jus’ cause you were out there doin’ what I couldn’ do.”

 She slapped her arms down by her sides before hooking her thumbs into the belt loops of her jeans. “Everythin’ was jus’ happenin’ so quickly; you were gone, mom left, D was goin’ off to college,” Annaleigh explained. Lance crossed his arms over his chest as he listened to her. “I felt like everyone was leavin’ so I didn’ want to let anyone back in if they did come back.” Lance opened his mouth to protest, but quickly closed it when she put a hand up in the air. “It wasn’ fair to you at all to take all my anger and confusion and whatever else, directed towards my mom out on everybody else. I mean with the two a y’all, at least I knew you were leavin’.”

“Ace—“

“Hold on,” Annaleigh said quietly and Lance nodded his head. She twisted her mouth to the side. “I jus’ missed ya, ok?” She then stuck her bottom lip out into an exaggerated pout, earning a small laugh from Lance. “I jus’ wanted my friend back.”

“You never lost him,” Lance replied, moving to press his forehead against hers. “Or D for that matter. You just have to have faith that things will work out for you.” Just like I have to have faith that things between us won’t end badly when you find out about your dad.

Hurry up and get in the car!” they could hear Chris shouting as footsteps were heard pounding down the hall outside of Lance’s door. “We’ll eat breakfast on the way. Disney World! Disney World!”

“I wonder who’s more excited; him or Justin,” Annaleigh said with a small laugh.

“Both,” Lance replied, deadpan. “I’ll meet you out in the car. I still need to brush my teeth and shower. If I’m lucky, Chris will give me at least half a minute before dragging me out.”

Annaleigh laughed through her nose, rolling her eyes, before making her way out of his room. Lance followed her out into the hall, grabbing a towel from the linen closet before making his way into the bathroom. He quickly showered and changed before grabbing his wallet and joining his friends in the car.

“So nothing happened between you and Lance?” Joey asked as Lance climbed into the back row of seats in the car. Joey reached for the door handle and slammed the door shut. “At all?”

“Well, I came in at an interesting point of the conversation,” Lance commented, reaching for the seat belt. “The answer’s ‘no’ by the way, Joe.”

Annaleigh turned away from the window as JC pulled the car out of the driveway to face the Italian sitting next to her. “Of all the years I’ve known Lance, nothin’ has happened between us.” She then craned her neck to peer into the back row of seats to lock eyes with Lance. “Right?”

“Right,” Lance immediately replied.

“I don’t believe that,” Chris said from the front seat, angling the rearview mirror to look at her.

“Hey!” JC said, slapping at his friend’s hand. “I need that!” He reached his hand up to adjust the mirror back into its proper place. “I mean, not unless you want me to drive off the road and get us all killed.”

“That’ll be a headline to read,” Justin said with a bark of laughter. He capped his hands together once before spreading them out in the air, as if smoothing down paper. “ ‘Famous Boy Band Dies En Route to Happiest Place on Earth’. “

“So you’ve never—“

No, Joey, I haven’,” Annaleigh said, interrupting Joey. “I’m not sweet on Lance at all.” She was silent for a moment before twisting her mouth to the side. “Besides, I’ve been a little too preoccupied with our other friend, Darren.”

I knew it,” Justin shouted, leaning forward in his seat to slap the back of her head rest. “I knew all those years ago there was something going on with you two.” He rested his chin on his arms as he folded them against the back of her seat. A grin came to his face before he used his thumb to motion towards Annaleigh and Lance. “So, y’all haven’t even kissed or anything?”

“Why does it matter?” Lance all but snapped, pinching the bridge of his nose with his forefinger and thumb.

“Geeze, Grumpy, it’s just a question,” Justin said, slumping back in his seat, crossing his arms over his chest. “Maybe it’s a good thing we’re going to Disney, he’ll fit right in with the other dwarves.” He nodded his head towards the back of Chris’s seat. “You can join Dopey.”  Chris merely lifted his hand into the air, giving Justin the finger.

“Yeah, what’s with the at-ti-tude?” Joey asked, snapping for emphasis with each syllable before he turned around to face his friend. “You ok?”

“Yeah, it’s just…” Lance trailed off, sighing through his nose. He pressed his lips tightly together, feeling his fingers slowly curl into a fist. Just what, Lance? You’re not interested in her? But, why aren’t you? Because she’s been your friend for years? And because  of that, it’d be too weird? “Why does it matter?”

“Maybe because you’ve been friends since, like, forever,” Justin replied.

“So have you and C, but I don’t see you two into each other,” Lance said with a snort.

“Depends on who you ask,” Joey instantly replied, earning a round of “Ohhhhs” from Chris and Annaleigh as JC practically shouted an obviously exaggerated, “Ha. Ha. Ha.”

Lance looked up and the caught the quick flash of JC’s blue eyes in the rear view mirror and he felt himself quickly swallow, and choke on, the spit in his mouth. Or is it too weird because you’re more than just not interested in her?

I didn’t mean to snap. People just ask that question all the time, that’s all,” he replied. “Besides, she hadn’t even had her first kiss until right before she got out here to audition.”

A loud gasp rushed past Annaleigh’s lips as she whirled around to face Lance, eyes wide. “James!” she cried as Justin let out a cackle, clapping his hands together.

“What?” he asked, his eyes widening as well. He felt a stab of guilt hit his stomach, and he tried to show Annaleigh his apology with his eyes. “It helps prove my point.”

He watched as Annaleigh’s eyes narrowed slightly. “This comin’ from the guy who got his first kiss at a game of spin the bottle and practically ate off Missy Williamson’s face,” Annaleigh replied, slowly smiling. “He was so eager, bless his heart.”

“Ooh, burn!” Chris called from the passenger seat.

Lance hiked an eyebrow, feeling his lips twitch upwards into a challenging smile. “Also coming from the girl who chickened out and had the guy kiss her cheek,” he replied. Annaleigh opened and closed her mouth for a moment.

“Shut up, Poofu!” Annaleigh snapped and Lance briefly scowled at her, running his hand over his face as it burned with embarrassment. JC, Chris, Joey, and Justin all burst out laughing. Annaleigh gave him a look of triumph as she turned to face the front of the car.

There was silence for a moment until Chris said, “So nothing really happened between you—“

“Shut up, Chris.”


 

“Ok, we’ve been on Dumbo, Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Peter Pan’s Flight, and Pirate’s of the Caribbean,” Justin said as he twisted and turned the Magic Kingdom map in his hand. “If we want to go to the Animal Kingdom next, we have to go…that way.”

“Can we get something to eat first?” Joey asked, rubbing his hands up and down his stomach.

“And have you puke on the back of my head after we hit the coasters? Again? I don’t think so,” JC replied, using his finger to push his sunglasses up his nose. He clapped his hands together. “Come on, let’s hit Island of Adventures; The Hulk awaits.”

“I’m up for anything that keeps my feet on the ground,” Chris said, putting his hand in the air.

Annaleigh was surprised that someone as crazy and energetic as Chris was afraid of heights. The boys had warned her, but it was quickly put into perspective when he practically caused a scene every time Justin purposefully made Dumbo float higher and higher into the air.

“Well, Justin owes me some funnel cake,” Annaleigh said as she brushed her hair back from her face. “So, I’m voting for food.”

“I knew there was a reason I liked you,” Joey said with a smile as he put his arm around her. “How ‘bout this; we get some food and the rest of you go check out some more rides.” He glanced at his watch. “Meet back here in about—“

Suddenly, a loud scream hit the air.

Annaleigh jumped, her hands flying up to cover her ears as a second and third shriek hit the air, mixing together as the sound of footsteps thundered towards them becoming a cacophony of noise that jarred her.  She was knocked from all sides as tall girls, short girls, mothers being pulled by their daughters, and girls in hysterics rushed past her, swarming *NSYNC.

 Shouts of “I love you” and the boys’ names hit the air. It wasn’t long until Annaleigh could barely see a foot in front of her. She just stood idly by, waiting for the scene unfold, jaw dropped in shock. People were shoving each other, jumping up and down, and swarming around snapping pictures with their disposable cameras.

Of course they’d be stopped, she thought to herself. Everyone knows they live here in Orlando. And they’ve kinda been livin’ on the down low since the trial.

 Annaleigh grunted, feeling something hit her hard in the back. “Who are you?” a girl asked between waving her hands to dry her wet cheeks with the napkin that Joey had just signed.
 
“Me?” she asked, her eyes popping open as she jabbed her finger into her chest. “Oh, I’m…I’m nobody, darlin’. Don’t worry ‘bout me.”
 
“She’s Lance’s friend from home,” Joey replied, pointing in her direction with the pen in his hand.

“Yeah, she’s working with us,” Lance called over the loud noise. “She’s our new touring bassist. That’s Annaleigh Carr.”

“Uhh—“

“Oh. My. God!” a shriek blasted Annaleigh’s ear drums. She pulled her facial features together so quickly, she was sure she could’ve given herself a permanent face lift. At least, that was before the girl decided to re-arrange her face by shoving her notepad and pen into Annaleigh’s cheek and nose. “Can I have your autograph, too?”

“Uhhh—“

“Me too!”

“Sign one for me, too!”

Annaleigh removed the pen—which was practically being shoved into her nostril and cornea—from the girl’s hand and took the notepad and tried to bring excitement her posture and face as possible. She quickly scribbled out her name in a flourish. She managed to get a brief glance at it before another notebook was shoved into her face. Do people carry these gosh darn things around wit’ them all day?
 
Question after question was thrown her way all about the boys and working with *NSYNC, and everything about the new album, and, and, and. Her head started to throb. Everyone was crushing in tighter and tighter around her, desperately trying to get closer to the musicians. She was burning up; there was too much body heat (and the heat from the Orlando sun).

Before she knew it, the fans were gone talking and shrieking excitedly, tightly clutching their autographs, glancing repeatedly back at them. Annaleigh watched them go, her bottom lip shaking just slightly. She barely heard whatever it was that the boys had decided upon doing next until she realized she was following Joey on autopilot.

Her ears were ringing; muffling the voices and sounds of shrieks from the rides and attractions around her. Minutes later, a cold wave washed over her as she sat down in the shade, across from Joey who started munching on a funnel cake as if everything that had just happened didn’t happen.

“Gu vanna bide?” he asked, his mouthful, pushing the plate towards her.

“Thank ya, kindly,” Annaleigh replied, trying to push a smile to her face. She reached out with shaky fingers, ripping off a piece of the powdered sugar covered treat.

“Are you ok?” Joey asked, his eyes narrowing slightly as he licked the white powder from his lips before reaching up to adjust the backwards baseball cap on his head.
 
“That was scary,” Annaleigh replied, feeling her shoulders slump as tears pricked at her eyes. “If that’s what this is gonna to be like, I don’ wanna do it.” She shook her head back and forth, her dark tresses gently hitting her cheeks. “I wanna go home, Joe.”

“Awww,” Joey said quietly. His lips pulled down in the corner into a frown. “It’s ok, Anna. I’ll admit, we haven’t been doing the best job at preparing you for everything.”

“I don’ want ta slow you guys down,” Annaleigh said, lifting her arm to wipe at her tears. “Maybe my dad was right. Maybe this isn’ for me.” She let out a shaky breath of air. “I shoulda jus’ stayed home.”

“We all get homesick, especially when we first started out,” Joey explained, his cheerful attitude slowly changing to one of compassion. “It’s why Lance had called for his mom to fly out to Germany less than a week after we first started.” He let out a small laugh. “We practically attacked each other to get to the phone to call our parent every chance we got. Not that that’s any different than how we are, now.”

Annaleigh let out a small laugh, sniffling. “But, you have now what Justin and Lance had back then to help them out,” Joey pointed out before smacking his lips after licking his thumb free from the powdered sugar. “You have a piece of home with you.”

“Lance,” Annaleigh said as more of a question and Joey nodded his head.

“He talked a lot about you this past couple months, you know,” Joey said, He lifted his hand to remove the hat from his head, siding his fingers through his red hair. “Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head.

“Why’d you audition to be part of the *NSYNC band?” Joey asked, his eyebrows knitting together just slightly to form a look of curiosity. “You knew you’d be travelling and would be away from home for a long time.”

“For a lot of reasons,” Annaleigh replied, reaching for a napkin, dabbing at her eyes. “I wanted ta see what y’alls life is like.” She gave a shrug of her shoulders, starting to twist the napkin in between her fingers. She let out a shaky breath of air before resting her elbow onto the table, pressing her mouth into the heel of her palm.

“I wanted ta have somethin’ that we could do together like old times. I jus’ didn’ know how hard it was gonna be or what y’all had ta go through. I shoulda just listened ta my mom and dad; they warned me that this wasn’ what I wanted ta do. People aren’ like that back home. I mean, no one’s even goin’ ta see me at the AMAs, they won’ even know I’m playin’ with y’all, no one—“

“It’ll take a little while to get used to, but soon it’ll really fuel you and keep you going,” Joey said, putting his hands up defensively. “We all appreciate everything you do and we’re enjoying having you in the house and sharing this experience with us.”

“You just like my cooking,” Annaleigh mumbled and Joey chuckled.

“I’m not denying that,” Joey replied, his eyebrows shooting up just slightly, a grin coming to his face. He then slapped his stomach with his hands. “You definitely know how to make an Italian a happy man.” Annaleigh smiled, bowing her head. “And you have a great smile, natural talent, and you’re fun to be around. You’ve already put in so much work, it’d be a shame to let it go to waste.”

“I don’ know—“

“You’ll make me very sad if you don’t stay,” Joey said, sticking out his bottom lip into a pout. “I’m enjoying getting to know you better…and your food.” Annaleigh let out a tinkling laugh. “And we’d miss your energy around the house. Everything will be ok; we’ll make sure of it.”

“Joe—“

“Please?” Joey asked, clasping his hands together. “For me?” His eyes widened slightly. “For Lance! He was really excited at the idea of you working with us and you know he wouldn’t suggest you to be a part of the band if he didn’t believe in you and your talent.” A thoughtful look crossed his face. “So, I guess the question is why don’t you believe in yourself?”

Because the only people who ever believe in me leave me, Annaleigh thought with a sigh. “Nothing I guess,” she said quietly. “I’m just scared.

“So were we,” Joey replied. “So are we. After everything with Lou; it’s like we’re starting over again; we have to prove that we can do this ourselves.” He reached out a hand and gently tapped the bottom of her chin, angling her head up to look at him. “We can do it together; that’s why we’re called *NSYNC. Not just because of our harmonies and dancing, but because we’re in sync in every aspect of our life; we’re always there to back each other up and now you’re part of our family. OK?”

Annaleigh nodded her head, smiling freely. “Thanks, Joe Joe,” she said, drying her cheeks. “I appreciate it.”

“Don’t mention it,” Joey replied before reaching for the plate of partially eaten funnel cake. He ripped off a chunk before handing it to her and ripping off a second. “Cheers to the *NSYNC family.”

“Cheers,” Annaleigh said with a smile, tapping her chunk of funnel cake against his before popping it into her mouth. She chewed happily, licking the powdered sugar off her fingers. “So, what’s this Hulk ride JC really wants to go on?”

“It’s the coolest ride,” Joey replied, his eyes lighting up.

“Apart from the Superman ride you mean?” Annaleigh asked, eyeing the red hat on his head. Joey just smiled, shrugging his shoulders.

“The ride starts with Bruce Banner’s voice over the whole ride talking about this experiment that he’s been working on, right?” Joey asked. “And then it malfunctions and you start hearing the roller coaster make these mechanical sounds because the machine is to stop himself from turning into the Hulk. Then you hear these screams of terror and the ride propels your cart from 0-60 in, like, two seconds.”

Sounds jus' like my life, Annaleigh thought with a smile. As long as she had someone there to hold her hand during the scary parts, she was sure she’d be ok.

 

End Notes:

I apologize for the delay with updating. I had a whole bunch of school work lately. I don't know how long this story is going to be yet, just so you guys know, but it really starts to pick up from here.

Thanks for reading.

The AMAs by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Annaleigh finds out what happens when preparing for a big event.

January 16th, 2000

Los Angeles, Califnoria

AMAs Rehearsals


5:00am

“I’m surprised you’re up so early,” JC said to Annaleigh as he stepped into the small hotel dining room the next morning, rubbing at his eyes with his fists. He sniffed once before making his way over to the coffee pot, reaching for a cup that was stacked next to the machine. “We practically had to carry you to the car once we landed at LAX.” He peered at her over his shoulder and laughed a little. “We definitely had to carry you into the hotel.”

Who said I went to sleep? Annaleigh blinked her burning eyes, letting out a yawn. “Couldn’ sleep,” she replied, spinning the small spoon in her hand around the ring of her cup of hot chocolate. She set it down with a clatter and set her hands down on the table, tapping her fingernails on the table as he moved to sit in front of her, laughing at the irony. “Sides, I’ve always been taught that a lady doesn’t sleep past ten. You could’ve told me we had to fly out late last night.”

“Hey, I apologize for us not relaying you any information, it’s just something we’re getting used to,” he said to her, a small frown coming to his face. “We don’t normally have anyone else staying at our place, unless Wade is crashing for the night, and we have to remember that you’re new so you’re not used to jumping from one thing to another so quickly.” He then gave her a patient smile, shrugging his shoulders. “Besides, it was one of your last days off for a while, we wanted you to have fun and to get you to stop panicking about the AMAs.”

Annaleigh couldn’t help but smile. The boys sure had been doing their best at making her feel comfortable in the house. They didn’t change how they acted just because she was a girl in the house, but made her feel like she was a welcome member. The only thing that slowly had started to change was the boys making it that she did all of the cooking if they were staying in to eat, and she had also started taking up doing their laundry and the grocery shopping.

It wasn’t anything that bothered her; she did the same at home with her dad being injured. Plus, she had grown up learning how to take care of a home. Whether or not she ultimately would end up as a stay at home mom, or working outside of the home and running a household at the same time was up to her, but growing up in the South taught her that it was important for her to be able to run the house. They made sure to show her their appreciation for all of her hard work, not just with taking care of them, but with her supporting them as their backing musician as well.

“You’re not nervous or anything?” Annaleigh asked, squinting at him. “I mean, you’re putting out your new single tonight…and you have a new, and nervous, musician in the *NSYNC band.”

JC pursed his lips for a moment before lifting the cup of coffee to his mouth. He took a long sip before swallowing, smacking his lips. “We are nervous,” he replied and Annaleigh blinked in surprise. “I know what you’re thinking; we’ve been doing this for a long time, so how can we be nervous?”

“Ya got that right,” Annaleigh replied and JC chuckled.

“Well, we’ve been doing this for a while, so in that regards, we could see this as just another performance, or just another song we’re releasing,” JC explained. He was talking slowly, choosing his words carefully.

Annaleigh quickly noticed that about him; he liked to be eloquent whenever he talked and to get his point across in a clear and concise way. It was no wonder they always described him as the serious one. What was surprising was that he was up this early. Annaleigh had noticed how much the man loved his sleep.

“But, we always worry about the first song we release from the new album because we’re putting ourselves out there time and time again and not only that, but the fad in music changes so fast.” JC snapped his fingers repeatedly to show his point. “You could be a hit one day and then the next…” Annaleigh slowly nodded her head, taking in every word that he said. JC sighed, a slightly distant glint appearing in his eye before it disappeared with a blink.

“And everything with Lou…people are anxious to see what we’ve come up with despite everything that had happened. That’s what makes it so nerve wracking. We’re preparing ourselves for all of the questions that we’re going to be asked but…we can only focus on the past for so long.” He then started counting off on his fingers, pulling them back with his other hand. “It’s said and done, we learned from our mistake of blindly trusting one person to do everything, we’re working with a group of people we’ve handpicked and trust that share our creative vision, and there’s nothing else to do but move forward.”

“You aren’ scared that somethin’ else Lou has done is gonna mess anythin’ else up?” Annaleigh asked, feeling her eyebrows crinkle together.

“Not with the team we have,” JC replied, shaking his head back and forth. “We know how to handle things now. Don’t forget, there’s still a lot things about this industry that we’re learning as we go along, just like you.” Annaleigh made a noise in the back of her throat before lifting her mug of hot chocolate to her mouth. She took a long sip, allowing the chocolate beverage to slide over her tongue before she swallowed it. “So, what is it that you’re afraid of?”

“I’m from Clinton, Mississippi,” Annaleigh replied around licking her lips free of the chocolate. JC gave her a look, silently asking, And? “I’ve wanted ta leave for so long, but now I’m here, I’m scared I’m not ready for the world; that I, once again, jus’ wanted ta do whatever it was Lance was doin’, but never really thought ‘bout what it entailed.”

“Do you always do what Lance does?” JC asked, his eyebrows shooting up in amusement.

“Ever since I met him, I wanted ta do everythin’ he did,” Annaleigh explained, her nose scrunching up just slightly as she gave an embarrassed smile. But, that was party because I knew our friend, Darren, would be doin’ it too.” JC chuckled. “I don’ know, with Lance singin’ and everythin’ and doin’ great things with his life, it always made me feel like I could do anythin’ I wanted to. It’s comforting ta know that he’s there and supportin’ me with stuff.”

She let out a heavy sigh, but not one of sadness or annoyance, or stress, but of content. “But with this, I wanted ta be able to support Lance with somethin’ cause he’s always done so much for me,” Annaleigh continued. “Not jus’ him, but all y’all.”

“You were at the court hearing that day,” JC said, tapping his fingernails against his coffee mug and Annaleigh nodded her head. JC gave a shrug of his shoulders, a curious look crossing his face. “Why didn’t you say anything? You had Lance thinking he saw a ghost or something.”

“Naw, that’s a completely differen’ story,” Annaleigh said, waving her hand in the air, her lips curling into an amused smile. “Like I said, I wanted to show y’all support, but it was your day. You deserved ta celebrate with your families. Plus, I was kinda scared, too. I mean, y’all had gone and done so many things while I was stil lat home doin’ school and church, and whatever else kept me preoccupied…I thought he wouldn’ be the same Lance.”

She fell silent for a moment, messing with her spoon. JC didn’t say anything, just lifted his coffee mug to his lips, silently watching her. She stretched her arms above her head before using her hands to pull her hair back from her face, gathering it into a ponytail between her hands before allowing her hair to splay out across her shoulders.

“I felt bad ‘bout it, but I figured now that he got ta see the world, he woudn’ wanna come back to a small pace like Clinton, so I kinda avoided him whenever he did come home. That and I was mad about him not bein’ there when everythin’ with my mom happened, and I was jealous, and…yeah. I was happy he was doin’ what he wanted ta do, but I took it too personally when he said that he’d always be there, and when I needed ‘im he wasn’. I knew things couldn’ have been easy for y’all, but I couldn’ help thinkin’ it.” She let out a small laugh, peering up at him. “I hadn’ told him that yet. You’re easy ta talk to.”

“Thanks, but you really should be telling Lance about this,” JC replied before his lips pulled back into a smile as she let out another yawn. “Sometime after you go to sleep. You have a lot to do today.”

Annaleigh stared blankly at him for a moment. “Rehearsals aren’t even until the afternoon,” Annaleigh replied, blinking repeatedly.

“And before that, you need to get your hair, makeup, and wardrobe done,” JC pointed out to him. Annaleigh grabbed a lock of her hair, peering at it. “There’s nothing wrong with you, it’s just part of the business. It was weird for us at first, but wardrobe does keep your personal style in mind. The more events you do, the easier it is and the faster it’ll get done.”

“But—“

“Go. Now,” JC said, interrupting her.

“Fiiine,” Annaleigh replied with a small pout. She reached for her cool cup of hot chocolate before tilting her head back, quickly downing the rest of her beverage. JC offered his hand for her empty cup and she thanked him, pushing her chair back; the legs scraping against the floor.

She gave JC a smile of thanks before making her way over to the elevators. She rode up to her floor, pulled her key card out of her pocket, unlocked her door and was passed out on her bed as the door clicked shut.

..

.

7:00am

Annaleigh wasn’t sure how long she had been asleep before she was woken up by soft voices, clattering, and the sound of metal hangers clicking together. She blinked open her eyes and pushed up from the mattress she was curled on, rubbing her eyes.

“Oh, good, you’re up,” a cheerful, sweet voice said as a woman moved to stand by her bed. She stuck her hand in Annaleigh’s face. “Sorry for the wake-up call, but we need to get everything worked out before your show tomorrow. I’m Monica Blount, I’ll be doing your hair and make-up.”

“Nice ta meet ya,” Annaleigh replied, her eyes shifting over towards the two other women in the room. Once was unpacking jar after jar of make-up, setting it down onto the vanity, while the other started unzipping clothing bags that hung on a metal portable clothing rack.

“And that’s Johanna Pepitone and Terry Smith who will be covering your wardrobe,” Monica continued the introductions, motioning towards the two women sitting by the dresser. The two women gave bright smiles and waved as they started sorting through the clothes, muttering to themselves. “Alright, up and at ‘em, you have a long day today.”

“Yeah, I know, I have rehearsal,” Annaleigh replied as Monica grabbed her arm, pulling her up off of the mattress. She was practically dragged across the bed to the edge, where she was moved to sit up and Monica grabbed her chin with her long fingernail covered fingers, turning her head this way and that. “Hmmm, I was wrong, you have a cool skin tone.”

“I do?” Annaleigh asked, reaching up to touch her face. “Feels warm ta me.”

“No, sweetie,” Monica said with a tinkling laugh, shaking her head. “It means that pinks, blues, purples, ad reds are better colors of make-up for you. You can also mix in brown since you have these amazing honey colored eyes.” She gently patted Annaleigh’s face before moving to sort through all the make-up. “We’re going to want to make a statement, so I think I’m going to give you a shimmering winged eye.”

“While she’s doing that, we’re going to get you measured,” Johanna said as she pulled Annaleigh to her feet. She shook out a tape measure, dropping it down by Annaleigh’s head to the floor while Terry started measuring around her chest. “We’ve got a lot to fit in before all your interviews and photo shoots today?”

“32B!” Terry called out.

“Wait, what?” Annaleigh asked, her eyes popping open.

“You don’t know your own bust size?” Terry asked with a snort.

“No! I mean, yes, but…” Annaleigh trailed off, briefly closing her eyes. “I only have rehearsals—“

“And interviews with the local magazines and some radio outlets, not to mention everyone on the red carpet, but there are some specific ones you’ll be hitting,” Terry explained, reaching into her pocket. She pulled out a folded piece of paper and handed it to Annaleigh who quickly unfolded it to read:

January 16th, 2000 – AMAs Rehearsals

7:00am-9:00am – Hair/Make-up/Wardrobe Consultant

(8:30am – Breakfast)

9:00am-10:00am  – Interview prep

10:00am-12:00pm – Rehearsals

12:00pm-1:00pm – Lunch

1:00pm-3:00pm – Press/Interviews/Photos

3:00pm-5:00pm – Rehearsals

5:00pm-5:30pm – Red carpet prep

6:00pm-7:00pm – Dinner/Rest up

 

January 17th, 2000 – AMAs

7:00am-9:00am – Hair/Make-up/Wardrobe Consultant

(8:30am – Breakfast)

9:00am-10:00am  – Interview prep

10:00am-12:00pm – Rehearsals

12:00pm-1:00pm – Lunch

1:00pm-3:00pm – Press/Interviews/Photos

3:30pm-4:00pm – Hair/Make-up/Wardrobe/Light dinner

4:00pm-5:00pm – Walk the red carpet

5:00pm-7:00pm – The AMAs! (Broadcasting live at 8 EST)

7:00pm-9:00pm - Dinner

9:00pm-? – After party

 

As Annaleigh’s eyes dropped farther and farther down the list, she felt her eyes widen and her jaw drop. She bit back a groan, mentally kicking herself for getting up so early…or rather, staying up so late. She really wasn’t going to have any time to relax.

“What are the interviews for?” Annaleigh asked.

“You’re the only girl in the *NSYNC band and not only that, but Lance’s friend from back home,” Johanna explained, removing a hanger with a floral top from the clothing rack. “What do you think of this?” Annaleigh looked over at her and felt her upper lip curl. “No? OK, then.”

“Our goal, Annaleigh, is to stick with your personal style,” Terry explained, starting to lay clothes out on the bed. “Your accent is something new, something fresh around here. Your story is something everyone is talking about. It’s not only you, but Mika, too. You’re two of the youngest members of the *NSYNC band, people want to know about you.”

“There’s nothin’ special about me,” Annaleigh replied with a shake of her head.

“That’s where you’re wrong, Cookie,” Monica said with a shake of her head. “Everybody is special, even you. It might take you a while to figure it out, and you might not believe anybody—or any guy—that’ll tell you that.” She looked up from the jar of foundation in her hands and winked at Annaleigh before twisting off the cap, swirling a brush inside. “But you are. Don’t forget that and I’m being serious when I say it. The music industry will be tough and it’ll challenge you in many different ways, and may want to change you. Don’t let that happen.”


10:30am

Mika carefully set his keyboard down onto the floor before resting it up against the sinks in the bathroom of the building where the AMAs were located. He looked around, sliding his palms down the sides of his jeans before looking around the bathroom. He checked to make sure each stall was clear—checking underneath the stalls for shoes—before glancing over at the door, as if daring it to open.

He let out a sigh, pressing his lips together before turning back towards the mirrors. He dropped the back on his shoulder down onto the sink and reached for the zipper, opening his bag, allowing the two parts to flop open. He reached inside and pulled out a rectangle box. Glancing at the door again, he walked over to it and turned the lock with his long, thing fingers.

He made his way back to the sink and popped open the box to retrieve a can from the box. He popped off the top and shook the can before aiming the nozzle at his head, starting to spray his brown hair black. Once his hair was the color he wanted, he put the can back before grabbing a jar. He twisted off the top and a fruit smell hit his nose.

He dipped his index and middle finger into the jar, allowing the white cream to coat his fingers before he rubbed them between his palms. He started running his hands and fingers through his hair. Excess black spray came off onto his hands. He used the sides of his hands to turn on the faucet and rinse the black colored cream from his hands.

He then put the jar back and reached inside the box, retrieving a contacts case. He unscrewed the caps and dipped his fingers into the solution to retrieve brown tinted contacts. Leaning closer to the mirror, he used one hand to pull his eye lids apart, sliding the contact over his eye. He blinked a couple of times to make sure it was positioned right before doing the same with his other eye…jumping when he heard the door stop before loud knocking hit his ears.

“Hold on a minute!” Mika called back before he started throwing everything back into his bag. He then hurried to the door and unlocked it, letting out a sigh as it was pushed inwards and Johnny Wright walked in. “Oh, good, it’s you.”

“You’re late to rehearsal,” Johnny commented, closing the door behind him.

“I know, I was…hurrying,” Mika replied, giving him an apologetic look. “I got a late start today, that’s all.”

“Kevin’s been covering for you, but he shouldn’t have to do that,” Johnny said with a shake of his head. Mika bowed his head for a brief moment, scratching at the back of his neck.

“I know and I apologize,” Mika replied, lifting his head to look Johnny in the eyes. “I won’t be late again. I promise I won’t.”

Johnny peered over at Mika, pressing his lips together. He crossed his arms over his chest, narrowed his eyes just slightly. His chest swelled as he sucked in a deep breath of air before slowly letting it out through his nose. “You have to go through all of this?” he asked, waving a hand in the air, motioning towards Mika’s head.

“Everyday I’m here,” Mika replied with a shrug of his shoulders. “I’ll get faster at it, the more I do it.”

“And, you can’t just tell Annaleigh the truth?” Johnny asked, stroking his chin with his fingers. Mika gave a brief shrug of his shoulders. “That’s not an answer.”

“Don’t know how to bring it up,” Mika replied, stretching his arms over his head before grasping at his elbows. “’Hey, Annaleigh, I know who you are, but you don’t know me. At least, you don’t remember me, but I know all about you. We played together once when we were kids. I took this job to get closer to you, but trust me; I’m not a creep or anything’.”

Johnny chuckled as he removed the hat from his head, scratching at the back of his neck. “I can see how you’d be having trouble,” Johnny admitted, giving a slow nod of his head. “From my experience though, I’d have to warn you, secrets have a way of getting out before you can reveal them yourself.”

“I don’t think I can tell her now,” Mika said with a shake of his head.

“I’m not telling you to tell her now, I’m just telling you to tell her soon,” Johnny replied. “You’re going to have a lot of days together with this tour, so you have plenty of time.” He put his baseball cap back onto his head. “With the interviews today…just with your story, they’re going to dig a lot into your family and what your life was like before you had called me about Annaleigh joining the band.”

“I have a story ready, don’t worry,” Mika replied, running his fingers through his damp hair. He briefly checked his fingers, giving a satisfied smile at the lack of black smudges on his fingers before looking back over at Johnny. “Nothing that’ll come back and bite me in the ass later on…I hope.”

“First things first, getting back to rehearsal,” Johnny said, reaching up to grab the brim of his hat, tugging it down over his forehead. “I’ll explain to Kevin why you’re…” He trailed off to look at his watch. “An hour late to rehearsal.” Mika cringed before giving Johnny a nod of thanks. “But, this is the only time I’m doing this for you. It’s your responsibility to make it to rehearsals on time and if you can’t make it, it’s your responsibility to let him know why you can’t be there so they can move things around accordingly.”

“Yes, sir, I understand,” Mika replied with a nod of his head. “I’ll head over right now.” He slid his arms through the straps of his bag and reached for his keyboard. “Sorry.”

“Don’t tell me that,” Johnny said with a slight shake of his head, although he had a smile on his face. “Tell that to everyone else.” He then pointed a warning finger in Mika’s face. “I hope you’re good at making up stories in general.”

“My mom always told me I had an overactive imagination so we’ll see,” Mika replied with a shrug of his shoulders and a grin. Johnny chuckled, shaking his head as he made his way over to the bathroom door. He pulled it open, blinking in surprise as it swung open with ease and speed as Lance stepped through the door.

“Sorry,” he said, jumping back from Johnny. He lifted his hand and waved in Mika’s direction. Mika gave a nod of his head, adjusting the keyboard he held under his arm. “We were all just wondering where you were.”

“We’re coming. You should’ve had one of the security team check up on us, though,” Johnny said, quickly changing the subject, stepping past Lance. Lance didn’t answer but gave a small nod, his eyes shifting over towards Mika who brushed past him as he slipped out the door.

“I came to ask you for permission about something,” Lance replied, holding the door open for Johnny. Johnny raised his eyebrows, a curious look crossing his face. “Well, Ace has been pretty homesick lately, so I invited one of our friends down to spend a couple of days with her while the AMAs were going on, so it wouldn’t be too hectic for her. So…is it ok if she sits in during rehearsals?”

“Is ‘she’ Ace or the guest?” Johnny asked.

“The guest,” Lance replied.

“…Alright,” Johnny replied after a moment of silence. He blinked and then shifted his eyes towards Lance. “You all know how hard it is to leave your family to do something like this. I think it’ll be good for her what with her dad being injured and her mom…”

“You—you know about that?” Lance asked, his eyebrows knitting together into a look of confusion. “About her mom? And…that she has a half-brother?”

“It’s my job to know,” Johnny replied, slowly nodding his head glancing in the direction Mika had disappeared in.

He clapped Lance’s shoulder, gently guiding him away from the bathroom door, heading back towards the rehearsal space. Muffled drums and Wade’s voice calling out counts could be heard. “I think you being here has helped her transition as smoothly as she could, but I can’t help but feel like things are still a bit rocky between you two.”

“I’m making sure it’s not affecting the group in any way,” Lance quickly explained.

“Maybe the boys could help,” Johnny suggested. “They want to look out for Annaleigh as much as you do.”

“Yeah, I know,” Lance agreed with a nod of his head. “I just don’t think even they could help me. How do you tell your friend something about their family that their dad made you promise not to tell?”

“Very carefully,” Johnny replied and Lance let out a heavy sigh. He clapped his hand on Lance’s shoulder, giving it a little squeeze. “That is, if you think it’s something you should tell her yourself. If that’s the case, I know it’s hard, but you’ll figure out how to tell her.”

“Yeah, well, maybe this will put her in a good mood and then I can tell her,” Lance suggested. “You know, butter her up first.”

“Has that ever worked on her before?” Johnny asked. Lance was silent for a moment and Johnny clapped him on the shoulder, again. “Well, it was nice knowing you.”


January 17th, 2000

AMAs

3:45pm

“Y’all sure know how to put on a production ‘round here.”

Lance turned away from the mirror in the hotel room he shared with Joey and gave Jasmine a smile, setting down the comb he was using to touch up his hair. He grasped the chain to the cross necklace around his neck and made sure it sat between the unbuttoned portion of his blue unbuttoned polo shirt.

“Hey, Jazzy,” Lance greeted the girl who stepped up beside him, moving to give her a hug. At least he tried to as she had a big cardboard box in her arms. “Thanks for coming down. Did you just get here?”

“Yeah, Joey just let me in,” Jasmine replied, turning her head to give Joey a smile of thanks as he made his way into the bathroom. She then turned back towards Lance and gently shoved his shoulder with her free hand. “I couldn’ leave my girl hangin’. Darren said he wanted ta come, but had a big school project or somethin’ due this week.” Her lips curled up into a teasing smile. “She’s jus’ gonna have ta settle with me.”

“Yeah, he told me yesterday that he couldn’ make it,” Lance said as Jasmine moved set the box down onto the bed. “But, Ace will be happy to see you here, too.” He then nodded towards the box. “What’s in there?”

“Care package from everyone back home,” Jasmine replied with a happy sigh. “Even managed ta get your Grandpa Jim and Grandma Bass to put in somethin’ for ya all special for your big night. JC, Joey, Chris, and Justin, too.”

“Thanks, Jazz,” Lance said with a wide smile. “I don’t think we have time to open it now, we have to get going.” Lance then shifted his gaze towards the bathroom door and walked over to it, pounding on the door with his fist. “Joe, we have to get going. Everyone will be waiting in the lobby by now.”

“I’ll meet you down there,” Joey called back. “You still have to get Annaleigh, anyway.”

“Just down drown yourself in cologne again,” Lance said with a sigh, rolling his eyes in Jasmine’s direction. She put a hand over her mouth, giggling. “We all still have to share a car with you.”

He then offered Jasmine his arm and she looped her arm through his, giving him a bright smile. He stepped out into the hallway and got into the elevator, riding it down one floor. Lance led the way to Annaleigh’s hotel room and knocked on the door.

“Be there in a minute.”

“Take your time,” Lance called back.

“No, I mean, it’ll take ma minute to get to the door,” Annaleigh sad as she pulled the door open, practically doubled over as she tried to keep her balance in the black heels she was wearing. “And it was well worth the wait. Jazzy!”

Jasmine let out a loud shriek, flapping her hands, and running in place, causing Lance to squeeze an eye shut at the sudden loud sound. He smiled as he watched his two friends come together in a hug, squeezing each other tightly. “What are you doing here?”

“Lance asked me ta come down,” Jasmine replied, taking a step back from her friend, looking her up and down. “Joey told him that you were feelin’ homesick, so…” Her eyebrows shot up. “Girl, you look amazing.”

“You really look great,” Lance agreed.

Annaleigh pushed the rolled up sleeves to her white jean jacket up past her elbows before looking down at the rest of her outfit. She had on a billowy green spaghetti strap tank top, a black shimmery skirt, with a hint of jeans short, and black heeled round toed shoes.

“You don’t think it’s too casual for the red carpet?” she asked, brushing a few loose strands of her hair behind her ears. They had kept her hair wavy, but braided two locks of her hair back behind her head to create a bit of a braided headband.

“Have you seen what he’s wearing?” Jasmine asked, hiking an eyebrow, motioning over towards Lance. Lance looked down at his brown leather coat, blue polo, and dark pants. He reached his hand up to lightly touch the gelled spikes in his hair.

“What’s wrong with it?” Lance asked, looking down at his clothes.

“Nothin’, darlin’ don’ worry,” Jasmine said, waving her hand in the air. “I’m jus’ sayin’ you’re really lookin’ casual.” She let out another squeal, clapping her hands together. “I can’ wait for the show, this is so excitin’!”

“It won’t be exciting if we don’t get going,” Lance said, ushering the two girls back towards the elevators. He was fine before, but now he could feel the nervousness sink in.

This was it; they were debuting their new single that night as well as performing it. Rehearsals were a bit rocky with marionettes malfunctioning, messed up dance steps, running behind schedules, people were trying to gt quick interviews with them, the fans who were there for sound check distracted them.

The fans were getting a taste of what it was that they’d be putting out into the word. It was a little hard to believe that their “OMG, that was amazing” and “I loved it” were genuine and not just being said because they were in the same room as *NSYNC. He did feel bad to even think about ulterior motives for his fans, since he knew they wouldn’t be there if it wasn’t for them, but he couldn’t help but wonder what exactly they thought about the song.

Those worries ran through his mind all the way to the venue. “Alright, you guys—“

Achem,” Annaleigh loudly coughed before slapping at her chest.

“And girls,” Justin corrected himself, giving her a sweet smile. Annaleigh smiled back, pleased. “This is it.” Lance popped the buckle to his seat belt as Justin turned around in his seat to look at everyone crammed into the car: himself, JC, Joey, Chris, Lance, Annaleigh, and Jasmine. “We’ve come a long way with this album; we’re finally getting able to do what we want to do. We’re finally getting to show it to the world.”

He held out his hands, one towards JC, the other towards Chris. “Lance, if you don’t mind,” Justin said to him.

“Uhhh,” Lance hesitated, looking over at JC who held his hand out towards him. He slid his hand into JC’s and felt his older friend curl his fingers around his hand, gently tightening his grip on Lance’s. JC silently peered at him with his blue eyes. His lips curled up into a small smile and Lance’s mouth suddenly went dry.

He felt a wave of heart rush over his body as his heart doubled the speed of its beating. He repeatedly licked his lips and cleared his throat. Annaleigh, who held onto his other hand, gave his hand a slight squeeze of encouragement. Lance shifted his gaze to his lap and cleared his throat again.

“Um, Dear Heavenly Father, we thank you for all the support you’ve given us through this difficult time,” Lance said, his eyes falling shut. “Thank you for your daily strength and being there for us when we needed you and we ask you to please help us get through this exciting and scary moment in our lives. Amen.”

As everyone else in the car muttered an “Amen” Lance quickly pulled his hand out from JC’s grip, resting his hand on his knee. He tapped his finger nails on his jean clad knee before wiping his palm on his jeans, trying to rub away the tingling feeling in his hand.

“Dude, just get out of the car already,” Chris loudly declared as the car pulled up to the curb of the venue. He lifted his feet and pushed at JC’s back, trying to get him out the door.

“Chris, if you leave footprints on my coat I swear…” JC left his threat trailing off as he tugged at the collar of his gray leather coat. He reached for the door knob with a shaky hand.

They could already hear the muffled fan screams and see cameras flashing whether they were at other artists and celebrities walking the carpet, or they were taking pictures of the cars as they pulled up, waiting to see who would come out of the cars next.

“Woohoo, let’s do this!” Joey said, clapping his hands together, reaching up for the sunglasses that sat on his head. He tipped them down onto his nose and gave Annaleigh and Jasmine a smile. “Welcome to our world, ladies.”

“Just get out of the car, Joe,” Lance said with a small laugh, shoving at Joey’s shoulders.

JC pushed open the door and the cheers swelled in decibels. It instantly flooded Lance’s body, filling him with so much energy, it felt like he was moving on autopilot as he took his turn to leave the car. His lips pulled back into a smile, he angled his head back just slightly, and he felt himself burst with confidence.

“Wow, that’s a lot of people,” Jasmine said as she and Annaleigh made their way out of the car. She gave Justin a smile of thanks as he offered her his hand to help her out.

“Yeah, tell me about it,” Annaleigh muttered in reply. Lance could see the fear in her eyes and the uncertainty as she started to tug at her clothes. She was holding her

“Hey,” Lance said quietly, looking over at his friend. Annaleigh turned her wide brown eyes towards him. “You used to do pageants, right?” Annaleigh slowly nodded her head, giving him a confused look. “Well, you’ve performed in front of hundreds of people, probably thousands during your whole career. Just think of it as one giant pageant; you have this initial moment to present yourself, and then the talent portion, and then it’s all over.”

Lance watched as a spark seemed to flicker in her eyes before growing with intensity as each second passed. She straightened her posture, rolled her shoulders back, and lifted her chin, following the boys onto her first red carpet.

She was learning quickly; to fake confidence even if she was the most nervous she had ever been. It had helped him throughout his bad days in *NSYNC. He just hoped there’d be days soon where he didn’t have to fake anything.


AMAs After Party

11:15pm

Loud music pounded through Lance’s body, shaking and rocking every nerve in his body. Flashing neon lights lit up the dark room packed with party goers. Despite the loss of the Group of the Year AMA award to the Backstreet Boys, they had a great performance and a good reception to their performance. There were a few malfunctions with the marionettes and the back-up dancers’ harnesses, and, and, and.

And Wade had brought up each thing they had done wrong the minute they stepped off the stage, but just like the rest of them, he was excited with what they had accomplished. He was just as amped as the other boys and offered words of encouragement and excitement to the band as well, especially to Mika and Annaleigh who looked as if they couldn’t believe what they had just done.

And now they were all moving to the beat of the music as if performing was as natural as breathing to them. “Ok, what about that girl over there?” Joey asked from beside him, elbowing him in the side. “What do you think?”

Lance lifted his glass of soda to his mouth as he turned in his seat to look over at the girl that Joey was pointing to. He angled his head to the side as he took in the leggy blonde that shimmied along to the beat of the music, hands in her hair, eyes closed to the pack of guys ogling her as they danced around her, trying not to be too obvious with their staring.

“I think Kelly would kill you when she finds out,” Lance replied after swallowing.

“You mean ‘if’?” Joey asked and Lance shook his head.

“No, I don’t,” he simply replied with a slight purse of his lips. Joey let out a short laugh before turning back around to the bar, grasping his beer. He tilted his head back and tossed the drink into his mouth, swallowing it in one gulp. “You know I’m right.”

“Shut up,” Joey said deadpan before letting out a heavy sigh. “Ok then, let’s find one for you.”

“Joe—“

“You’ve been sitting here all night, you haven’t taken up anyone offer to dance all night,” Joey said shoving his shoulder. “And trust me, you’ve had plenty of offers.”

“Just distracted, that’s all,” Lance replied, tapping his fingernails on the cup in his hand. He peered over the dance floor and watched for a moment as Annaleigh and Jasmine danced with Mika. “What do you know about him?”

Joey waved his hand to get the bartender’s attention before turning back towards his friend. “Who, Mika?” he asked. “I don’t know much. Seems to be off by himself even with the band. Why?” Lance nodded his head in the boy’s direction. Joey followed his gaze and chuckled.

“Wade’s the one you need to worry about, not him,” he said, gently hitting his friend on the shoulder. “I mean, come on? Flowers? Sweet comments? He’s really laying it on thick with her in case you haven’t noticed.”

“I’ve noticed,” Lance replied with a sigh. How did could anyone not notice? He had been around Wade enough to see the difference between when he likes a girl, and when he was strictly business. Luckily for him, he could have both at the same time, considering Annaleigh’s role with the band. “I’m not too worried though. It’s just…I mean, I know Wade, but I don’t know a thing about Mika. He seems familiar to me, though.”

“Come on, Lance,” Joey said, shoving his shoulder. Lance made a noise in the back of his throat as some of his soda sloshed out of his glass and onto his pants. “I know you an’ Anna have grown up together way back yonder in the countryside—“

“Clinton isn’t the country,” Lance interrupted his friend, looking at him out of the corner of his eye. “Although, I do have to give you points for your Southern accent.”

“Well, thank ya, darlin’,” Joey said, putting a hand over his heart, batting his eyelashes. Lance let out a laugh, shoving his shoulder in return. “I’m just saying, you and I both know Annaleigh is a firecracker. She can take care of herself. She knows Johnny’s dating rule, and she’s really getting a crash course with this music thing. Everything will be ok. What we need to be focusing on is getting you a dance with that fine lady over there.”

Joey changed the subject, pointing across the dance floor to where a brunette was bobbing her head to the beat of the music, sitting by herself at a table. She twirled her hair around her finger with one hand, giving a finger wave in his direction with the other. Lance lifted his hand, waving in return and the girl’s smile widened as she bowed her head.

“Ah, see?” Joey asked, getting to his feet. He grabbed Lance’s arm, pulling him to his feet. “Go! You’ve been sitting around all night.” Lance stumbled as he was shoved forward. “Have fun.”

Lance wiped his palms off on his jeans, making his way through the dancing crowd towards the girl. He could tell immediately that she was looking for a good time in more ways than one. He’d just let her know flat out that it wasn’t going to be the case.

That’ll never be the case, he thought, putting a bright smile to his face as he reached the girl. “Hi.”

 

End Notes:

I'm kind of kicking myself a little bit for having so many Christmas centered chapters at the beginning of this story. Re-reading through what I have so far, I could've easily kept that part out of the story. Oh, well. Hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Here's what Annaleigh was wearing during the AMAs - http://www.polyvore.com/annaleigh_amas/set?id=122582258

I plan on using polyvore more with my stories to help describe/get a visual of things.

Calm Before the Storm by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
The release of No Strings Attached.

March 21st 2000


New York City, New York

7:30am

As soon as Bye, Bye, Bye was released, a new surge of fame hit *NSYNC harder than any wave that crashed over them. The video was number one on TRL, they performed on various TV shows including Rosie O’Donnell, Saturday Night Live, various shows in the UK—all to pre-recorded tracks or other musicians that had learned their songs for the purpose of not having to travel their band members to each city so as to give them more time to rehearse and get things locked away as plans for the tour really started to get going--Grammys, MTV shows, Good Morning America, a performance at Regional District 13 School in Durham, Connecticut, and much more all leading up to this one event:

The release of *NSYNC’s album, No Strings Attached.

Lance was surprised that anybody in the house managed to get a good night’s sleep from all of the excitement. Or rather, a part of him was surprised; another part of him was downright exhausted from all of the work they had been taking part in non-stop for the past couple of months. As they traveled across the country and across “the pond” for functions, they all did have a couple days here and there to go home, rest, and relax.

Being at home for a while really brought a sense of calm and relaxation to Lance. Not only that, but he was able to share that downtime with one of his best friends and be able to mentally prepare her  for how things were going to go in regards to preparing for the tour. If she thought she was doing a lot of work before, the last two months before tour were an absolute nightmare.

But, she seemed to be prepared for it, if not excited. He could see she had her dad’s sense of adventure in that regard. He did up and leave his home to try and bring success to his band, after all. Here she was, wanting to do the same thing. Lance understood her dad’s reservations of letting her follow in his footsteps, and he had to wonder if he was doing the right thing as her best friend to let her continue on knowing what was breaking her family apart—or rather, what broke her family apart—and acting like it was the greatest thing in the world.

Not that it wasn’t. He loved his fans, he loved making music, he loved performing, he loved being with his brothers day in and day out, he loved all o it. But it came at a price; he wouldn’t wish for anyone to have their privacy gradually taken away from them--or even ripped away from them. As some people say, “It comes with the territory.”

“Man, I’m freaking out, dude,” Justin said as he twisted the couch he was lounging in back and forth with the foot that was planted on the plush carpet. They were all in the vast living room space of the penthouse they were living in, in New York.“I have to know what people think.” He brought his hands to his chest and started popping his knuckles. “This is intense.”

“Not as much as my desire to shut you up permanently,” JC commented in a dull tone. He was lying on his side on the couch, eyes closed. Whether or not he was trying to sleep, Lance knew that JC would never fully be able to manage that. Despite the fact he was the first to even get to sleep as they arrived in New York late that night.

“Aww, C, you love me and you know it,” Justin said as he paused in cracking his knuckles to give JC a sweet smile, whether he saw it or not.

“I’m with him, I’d love you more if you stopped talking,” Joey commented before he launched himself from the floor, jumping on top of the youngest member of the group. Justin curled himself into a bowl, throwing up his hands to ward off Joey’s fake punches.

“Would y’alll knock it off?” Annaleigh asked, barely looking up from the newspaper in her hand. She had her back against the couch Lance was sitting on, one smooth leg crossed over the other. She reached up a hand to brush her wavier dark brown locks, now streaked with caramel highlights, out of her face.

For her the past couple of months were all about her identity: the Southern girl, who also happened to be Lance’s best friend, who was the new bass player in the *NSYNC band. People wanted interviews with her, wanted to take pictures of her--and with her if they had recognized her—and even asked him questions about their friendship. Her outfits had slowly started to…differ.

Not so much that he didn’t recognize his friend anymore, but, a noticeable “Hollywood” change as he liked to think of it. Hell, he and Justin had their hair—painfully—bleached blonde for a couple of years to fit in the mold of what image was marketable in Sweden. That’s not to say he didn’t think it was a nice change, and didn’t bring a sense of confidence to her that he had waited to see her grow into over the years.

Needless to say, it didn’t change her “Mother Hen” like behavior and he was glad it didn’t. Arguably, it was for partially selfish reasons as the boys had someone around who didn’t mind doing the groceries, preparing meals, or doing their laundry. It also brought a sense of calm and allowed the feeling of home to be with them no matter wherever they went as she really cared for their well being and lent a listening ear whenever they were having problems or were frustrated about something.

It was also just something she grew up knowing; back in Clinton you were taught how to run a family if you ultimately chose to be a stay at home mom; if not, you were still secure in knowing that your household would be run well.

“Shoot, I think y’all have been stayin’ round each other for too long,” Annaleigh commented, shaking her head back and forth before reaching down to tug on the end of her cowboy boots.

“It’ll be worse when we’re on tour,” Chris commented, from the opposite end of the couch Lance was sitting on. He was throwing a football repeatedly into the air. They were all waiting for Johnny to come and join them to deliver the news of the day as well as to start the first of many, many tour meetings. “So, what do the newspapers say?”

Annaleigh cleared her throat as she shook out the newspaper. “The wait for *NSYNC’s new album is now over. Today, their most anticipated album, No Strings Attached, is released. Now the whole world can say, ‘Bye, Bye, Bye’ to Lou Pearlman, and say ‘Hi, Hi, Hi’ to the new *NSYNC.

“God, that is so lame,” Chris groaned, rolling his eyes.

“Sadly, that might be the best pun they can come up with,” Lance commented, lifting a hand to rub at his tired eyes, knocking the curst out of the corners. “Keep going, Ace.”

After a drawn out legal battle where Lou Pearlman had been keeping the money that *NSYNC rightfully worked themselves to the bone for, the five members—Justin Timberlake, JC Chasez, Joey Fatone, Chris Kirkpatrick, and Lance Bass—won the fight to keep their band name as well as get the money they rightfully deserve. How much is unknown as the matter was settled quietly. Also with this legal win, they changed record labels and have now officially release their first album under the Jive Records label.

“Jive Records has female powerhouse, Britney Spears. Having previously appeared together on The New MMC, it was only a matter of time before the two music acts would be together…in the musical sense I assure you. With both of the biggest acts in the music industry on the rise, Jive did well to add *NSYNC to their label. The boys have described this album to be their own take on mainstream music with their own dance, club, and R&B mix to it. Might as well go stand in line to pick up your own copy now; before you know it, you’ll be listening to the songs over and over again as your daughter blasts it through the walls of your home—if they haven’t been blasting the single-CD like I have. Good luck, boys.

“That’s not bad,” Lance mused.

“Except for no mention of our tour or anything,” JC commented, sitting up. His eyes were still closed as he stretched his arms over his head.

“Naw, it mentions the tour, JC,” Annaleigh commented, closing the newspaper. Lance hiked an eyebrow was he watched her purse her lips. “All that stuff was ‘in other news’.”

“Let me see that,” he said, snatching the newspaper out of her hands. Annaleigh made a loud noise of protest before driving her elbow into side of his knee. He quickly glanced over the newspaper front, looking for the location of the article before flipping it open to it. His eyes darted around the news print until he found it. He let out a loud laugh. “Oh, I see how it is; Ace is big news and we’re just the side act. Some of the same quotes from past interviews, another dating rumor, blah, blah, blah, nothing new.”

“Well, I declare, Miss Carr, seems to me like you’re gettin’ popular,” Justin said in his best falsetto in the best Southern accent he could muster, causing the five boys to start laughing. “I’m just kidding. Don’t pay any attention to it; at least it’s one of the nicer ones.”

He froze when he heard a series of knocks at the door. Lance tensed as electricity crackled through all of them. JC’s eyes popped open as he dropped his arms down into his lap. Eyes narrowed, eyebrows waggled, fingers twitched before their arms swung upwards towards their nose as a shout of, “Nose goes” hit the air.

“Chris you’re last,” JC announced, pointing his finger in Chris’s direction. Chris let out an exaggerated groan as he got to his feet.

“Did you hear that?” he asked, putting a hand to his back. “My knees popping, my joints protesting; I don’t think I can make it to the door, but I’ll try.” Lance hiked an eyebrow, watching as Chris slowly shuffled towards the door, sliding his feet along the ground, refusing to bend his knees. He hacked and coughed as he did so, wheezing.

“Hurry it up, Gramps,” Lance shouted, reaching for one of the couch pillows, throwing it at Chris’s back. He let out a loud gasp, clutching at his heart before dropping down to the ground, face first. Lance jumped up, and pressed his knee into Chris’s back. “We need an oxygen mask, stat! Someone call 9-1-1!” All the times Lance had spent at the hospital with his dad, he always thought of himself as the type of person who would be calm in an emergency situation, whether it be as a joke or in real life.

“Yeah, you better call 9-1-1, because you’ll need one when I’m through with you,” Chris cried, kicking his legs and flailing his arms, trying to reach Lance to do bodily harm.

The knocking came again, longer, harder.

“I’ll get it,” JC said with a sigh, getting to his feet. He scratched the back of his head as he made his way over towards the door. He pumped the handle and pulled the door open, stepping aside to let Johnny and Wade into the room. “Morning.”

They looked just as tired as the rest of them felt. “Morning,” Johnny replied, practically chirping the word despite his exhaustion. He clapped his hands together, the loud popping sound startling everybody. “Big day, big day, big day. How’re you all feeling? Lance, get off Chris.” He rolled his eyes when a series of snorts and muffled giggles hit the air. “You know what I mean.”

“Tired,” Annaleigh replied, as Johnny and Wade made their way into the living room, dropping onto the couches that Chris and Lance had abandoned.

“You’ll get used to it,” Wade commented.

“Easy for you ta say, you jus’ teach them the dance moves and hope and pray that things go well while on stage,” Annaleigh shot back with a brief eye roll. Wade merely shrugged, giving a smile.

As Lance settled back to sit on his heels, he looked back and forth between the two of them with Joey’s words, “Wade’s the one you need to worry about, not him. I mean, come on? Flowers? Sweet comments? He’s really laying it on thick with her in case you haven’t noticed” ringing in his ears.

From what he could see, they didn’t spend a lot of time together and anytime they had interacted, it was strictly professional. And when it wasn’t—when he seemed to get nowhere with her except for annoying her—he wasn’t worried about it. It was like Joey said, she could take care of herself. But, that was a hard role to give up or to slowly release; she had been following him around for years, doing what he wanted to do, and he took it upon himself to look out for her; even more so now that she was being thrust into the spotlight.

“Your album has finally been released, congratulations,” Johnny said as he clapped his hands together, leading the group into applause. He then shifted his gaze over towards Annaleigh. “This album was to be released last year, but with the court case and everything…” He trailed off, taking in a deep breath of air.

Chris took that time to roll onto his back and swing out his arm, back handing Lance’s side. “Ouch!” Lance shouted before he curled his fingers into a fist, punching Chris back.

“Hey, don’t fist me!” Chris said and Lance froze.

His whole body locked up and he stared down at his band mate. It was one stupid comment, much like they always did, all five of them, but this one just hit him differently. His mouth went dry, and he seemed to have lifted himself out of his body for a brief moment. He could see the laughter on Chris’s face at his own comment, see the looks of amusement and annoyance on JC, Justin, and Joey’s face, and he could see the uncertainty and fear in his own before he was back.

“That ain’t funny,” Lance said lowering his arm. Glowering, he shoved Chris’s shoulder, rolling away from him.

“Uh oh, you said ‘ain’t’,” Chris pointed out with a grin. He sat up and started prodding Lance’s cheek with his index finger. “Are you getting mad? I’ve heard Southerners have a wicked temper let’s see it.”

“Aww, leave ‘im be, Christopher,” Annaleigh called over to him.  

“Well, we should start going over the song list for the tour,” Johnny spoke up, loudly clearing his throat. He reached towards the table that sat next to his side of the couch and removed the pen and notepad—which they had previously used for ordering room service. He ripped off the top sheet of paper, resting it on his leg before clicking the top of the pen. “No Strings Attached and Bye Bye Bye for sure, but what are your thoughts? Do you want to start with Bye Bye Bye?”

“I don’t think we should do Bye Bye Bye, because people don’t like it anymore,” Justin said quietly, his twitching lips giving away his joke, causing everyone else in the room to start laughing. He lifted his head and twirled the stud earring in his left ear a couple of times before adjusting the beanie that covered his curly hair.

“I think we should do Music of My Heart,” Joey said as his laughter died down, tugging on the brim of his ever present Superman hat. “You know, because we have someone who can sing Gloria’s part.” Lance followed Joey’s gaze over towards Annaleigh who was suddenly engrossed with what the weather would be like that day.

“I really hope y’all ’re talkin’ ‘bout Chris’s falsetto and not me,” she said after she made a clicking sound with her tongue.

“Haven’t you been getting voice lessons from JC?” Johnny asked her.

“Yes,” JC replied, chewing on his thumbnail, “ever since she came out to audition. She’s really been improving.”

“There’s an idea,” Wade commented, snapping his fingers. “Everybody at this point knows she’s Lance’s friend—“

“Heyyy,” Justin said in a whining tone. “She’s our friend, too.” He stuck out his bottom lip in a pout.

“No way,” Annaleigh replied in a firm stone, waving her hand in the air. “It ain’t gonna happen.”

“You sing at church all the time, what’s the difference?” Lance asked, shifting his sitting position, giving his friend a confused.

“Oh, about twenty thousand people,” Annaleigh replied. “Singin’ on front a people I know isn’ a problem.” She shivered. “In front of a whole lotta people I don’ know give me the shivers somethin’ bad. No way.”

“You’re already playing the bass for us, how could it be any different?” Chris asked, his eyebrows knitting together.

“If she doesn’t want to do it, she doesn’t want to do it,” JC said with a sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Don’t force it on her.” He blinked his eyes a couple of times. “It Makes Me Ill.”

“Space Cowboy,” Lance added. “And It’s Gonna Be Me since it’ll be our second single.”

“Keep in mind that you all need to take some time to rest during this tour,” Wade commented, lifting his hands up in the air. “You don’t want to be dancing and moving around the stage the whole time. Might I suggest ballads?”

“You just don’t want to tire your young self out having to make up all of those fancy shmancy dance moves,” Chris said, waving his hand in the air.

“If you want to go running back and forth across the stage, be my guest,” Wade replied with a shrug of his shoulders. “But, my name’s going on your choreography. You think I want a bunch of screaming girls chasing after me--?”

“Yes,” Joey interrupted him, earning a high five from Justin.

“Angry that you guys collapsed on stage?” Wade continued, giving Joey a look of amusement.

“Any other songs?” Johnny asked, pointedly tapping his pen against the notepad.

“I Thought She Knew,” JC replied, resting his elbows on his knees, rubbing his hands together. “God Must Have Spent, and This I Promise You.”

 On and on they went back and forth over songs they wanted to perform, and start on the song order as well. They only managed to agree on starting with No Strings Attached and ending with Bye Bye Bye—maybe as an encore if they had a lot of songs to get through.

“Ok, we’ve also received word on the locations of the first leg of the tour,” Johnny said as he removed his cell phone from his pocket. “The whole tour will kick off on May 9th which gives you less than two months to have all the choreography and music done, and to stage and work through wardrobe and everything.” A serious look crossed his face. “It’ll be a real time crunch, boys—“ Annaleigh loudly cleared her throat. Johnny blinked, taken aback just slightly, before a smile came to his face, “and for you as well, Little Miss. Especially after everything you have to do the rest of this month.”

“That’s only 10 days,” Joey commented, twisting the cap around on his head so the brim was pacing backwards. “Can’t we just…relax? I’m already tired just thinking about it.”

“Today, you have an appearance on TRL; a Virgin Megastore signing; and a special broadcast in Wal-Mart. Then we’re flying you out to Canada tomorrow for an interview on MuchMusic and a press conference at HMV Toronto, we’ll have you announce the first leg of the tour on the 24th of May,” Johnny instantly replied, keeping his eyes on Joey as if looking to see what his reaction was going to be. “Your episode of Rosie O’Donnell and All That will be airing on the 25th, the same day tickets go on sale, the 26th you have your Oscars performance, the 28th you’ll be on The View, and the 29th you’ll be on Good Morning America.”

“Then it’s crunch time,” Wade said, rubbing his hands together. “You’ll only have a month to learn all these moves to the new songs.” Lance let out a loud groan as he stretched his arms over his head.

It was something he was used to doing, but at the same time, just thinking about how much was crammed into one day would make even the most energetic person the world, dreading what was to come at times. There were many moments where they all wondered how there were enough hours in a day to get things done. Running off of four hours of sleep, sometimes even less was a feat.

“Where’re we starting the tour, Johnny?” JC asked.

Johnny’s lips twitched into a brief smile “Biloxi, Mississippi,” he replied. Lance instantly bloomed into a smile and Annaleigh punched the air with her fists. Biloxi was only about an hour north of Clinton which meant, that gave them a couple of days at home before the tour kicked off. He could already feel the soft mattress in his bed.

He was going to need it after the night they were going to have.


 

The Village Underground

Manhattan, New York

10:45pm

Annaleigh turned her head away from the pounding music, giving her some reprieve from the notes, melodic tones, and pulsing beats from drilling into her skull. She loved *NSYNC’s music, yes, but did she want it pounded into her ears at 20,000 decibels? No.

But, she knew her ears were a goner the minute she had stepped out of the car at the party. The music was playing so loudly, she could hear every distinct word in the song. Or at least, that’s what it had seemed like to her. Nevertheless, she was ready to have a good time and knew that this album release party was going to be the party of the year.

Everybody was excited for *NSYNC’s new album. Fans were screaming and yelling and crying the minute they had spotted the five boys as they pulled up outside of the venue, desperately wanting to express just how much they appreciated the group and what they meant to them.

Marquee lights were tilting and angling, arching across the sky. Giant mannequins of *NSYNC’s likeness stood outside the double doors leading into the building. Paparazzi and newscasters, and the press in general lined up lined up one walkway, shoving their microphones and cameras into the faces of people that happened to walk by.

This is really it, Annaleigh thought as she looked around at the crowded dance floor at the many people who were thriving on the high spirits of the night. Everything really changes from here on out. Her stomach started twisting in knots at the thought of it.

Being at home normally brought comfort to her, but she hadn’t set foot back on Clinton soil since she had left Mississippi. Would people treat her the same? Would they treat her differently? Did they see her as a celebrity or just Annaleigh?

A wave of guilt crashed over her as she spotted Lance across the room, shouting something in Luther Vandross’ ear. She wasn’t sure how people had treated Lance when he had gotten home because she didn’t want anything to do with him. It wasn’t a fair thing for her to do at all; he didn’t understand what was going on back home and she didn’t understand what was going on overseas. He was keeping the hardships from her to keep her idea of how fun touring could be alive, and she kept the sad details from him so he wouldn’t feel like he was letting her down.

“Hey!” a loud voice shouted in her ear, making Annaleigh jump. She turned her head to see whoever it was, only to be blinded by a bright light mounted on top of Joey’s video camera.

“Joe-Joe, get that gosh darn camera outta my face,” Annaleigh said, turning her head away as she forcefully shoved her hand into the lens of the camera. She stepped away from the loud music, making her way down into the small stairwell sealing off practically all sound once the door was closed. “I already told you, I don’ wanna be videotaped.”

“You also said you wanted to come to our release party, but you’re not really partaking in the festivities,” Joey pointed out. “Figured you’d want to show off your dance moves, you say you like dancing so much.” Annaleigh gave him a pointed look. “Ok, Lance was just worried, but he was talking to someone so he wanted me to check on you.”

“I’m fine, Joey,” Annaleigh replied. It was his turn to give her a pointed look. “This is still just weird for me. I don’t fit in here.”

“Come on, this is a momentous occasion,” Joey said, giving her a reassuring smile. “Of course you fit in. It was weird for us at first too, you know, but it’s just part of the business.”

“Y’all just love to goof off and have fun,” Annaleigh said, planting her hands on her hips. “I like to curl up an’ read a book sometimes y’know? I like bein’ at home watchin’ movies or jus’ sittin’ in the peace an’ quiet. It’s jus’ what I’m used to.”

Joey slowly nodded his head. “I understand that, I do,” Joey said to her, glancing down at the camera in his hands. “But, it’s just one night. Relax and have some fun for…an hour. If you’re still ready to go after that, it’s Super Joe to the rescue. Stick with me, kid, no one has more fun at parties than me.”

“I don’t doubt it,” Annaleigh replied, giving Joey a smile. “Ok, Joe, I trust ya.” Joey lifted the camera in his hands and tilted it back and forth, giving her a pleading smile. Annaleigh’s upper lip curled slightly.

“How am I going to film what life is like surrounding this tour, if our hot new bassist won’t let me film her?” he asked. He then lowered the camera and pouted. “Pllleeeaassee? I’ll be your best friend. Who needs Lance? He’s not as much fun as me.”

Annaleigh laughed, shaking her head back and forth. “You don’ know Lance like I do, Joe,” she replied. Joey let out a loud snort, arching an eyebrow in an ‘Oh yeah’ kind of way? Joey did spend more time with him in the past few years, but she was the one that had grown up with him. “He’s always thrown the best Halloween parties an’ stuff, and he’ll drop everything to talk to you ‘bout that’s goin’ on in your life, and he’s always there for you…” she trailed off feeling her shoulders slump just slightly, “no matter what. You also can never get him to shut up whenever he’s really excited about something.”

“Really?” Joey asked, blinking in surprise. Annaleigh gave him an odd look, nodding her head as if silently asking what other Lance Bass’ he knew of. Joey shrugged his shoulders. “He’s always been quiet with us, kinda shy you know? Doesn’t say a lot unless he has to or if he’s really letting himself have fun with stuff.”

Annaleigh pressed her lips together, but didn’t say anything. She had noticed that about Lance, and had found it pretty odd, but just chalked it up to him being so tired from his hectic schedule. She sure as hell knew she was tired. The most she ever had to do to get prepared in a day was getting up early to go over routines, getting hair, nails, and make up done and double and triple checking that everything was packed in the car before partaking in pageants. That’s not to say she didn’t know Lance to not be the type that could be shy, but he was never as quiet as he was when he was out of Clinton.

“Just two minutes, I promise,” Joey said, lifting the camera for a second time. Annaleigh huffed but gave Joey a smile nevertheless. “Ok. Here we have our new bassist, Annaleigh Carr wearing a lovely black ensemble completed with her stylish cowboy boots.” Annaleigh looked down and pointed her foot before pushing her bangles up her wrists. “What’s something you’re looking forward to with the first show of the NSA Tour?”

“Just seeing the fans’ reactions, I guess,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug of her shoulders, feeling her side ponytail gently brush her right shoulder. “All y’all have been workin’ really hard to show that you’re serious about your music and to show the fans what you can do now that you have full control both inside  the studio an’ out. Not jus’ to show yer fans, but to show all those that don’ think y’all should be taken seriously.”

“And are you nervous about the first show?” Joey asked.

“Not yet, but I’m sure I will be,” Annaleigh replied, shrugging for a second time. “But, with all the pageants I’ve done, it’s taught me how to work well under pressure and to keep your composure.” She pointed a finger at him. “After the performance, though, don’t be surprised to find my head in a trash can.”

“Please, you’ll play as great as you look and you know it,” Joey said with a laugh as he lowered his camera. “That was good, thanks Ace.”

“Happy to oblige, Joe,” Annaleigh replied, twisting her mouth to the side, giving him a smile nevertheless. She then jerked her thumb over her shoulder. “I’ll be there in a minute, I have ta get my purse.”

“Sure thing,” Joey replied before making his way down the rest of the stairs before pulling the door open, the loud, thumping music appearing for a moment as he disappeared into the crowd.

“Looking for this?” Annaleigh turned, blinking in surprise as her black clutch purse hit her chest. She lifted her eyes towards Wade as he made his way down the stairs. “Didn’t want you leaving it out, just in case. You never know when some fans can sneak in and try and take stuff to sell.”

“Thanks,” Annaleigh replied, tucking her purse under her arm.

“So…you’re a pageant girl,” Wade commented, his lips twitching just slightly. He arched an eyebrow just slightly, an amused look on his face. “That explains a lot.”

Ex-pageant girl, thank you,” Annaleigh replied. “You’re looking at the reigning Glass Slipper Ultimate Grand Supreme.”

“Your majesty,” Wade replied, giving an exaggerated bow. Annaleigh rolled her eyes as he took another step towards her. “So why’d you stop doing pageants?” He shrugged his shoulders before adjusting the black blazer he wore over his Blink-182 t-shirt. “You made it pretty clear you’re not a part of them anymore.”

Annaleigh opened her mouth, before letting out a sigh, peering over at him. She crossed one leg over the other, leaning back against the railing of the stairwell. She scrutinized him, wondering if there was an ulterior motive towards his question. He had kept things professional between the two of them after she had said she wasn’t interested in him and he was just asking her a simple question. It was something people had asked her every time she mentioned that she didn’t partake in pageants anymore, but she was pretty vague with her answer, stating that she had just lost interest. She was going to be around him for months at a time, might as well let him know a little bit about her.

“Pageants were sometin’ my mom an’ I did together,” she replied after a moment of silence. Wade slowly nodded his head. “After she left, I didn’ do another one, although Lance’s mom, Miss Diane, offered to do ‘em with me. Jus’ wouldn’ be the same.”

“Sorry ‘bout your mom,” Wade replied, lowering himself to sit down on the landing between the two sets of stairs. “That sucks.”

“Yeah,” Annaleigh replied, sitting down as well, stretching her legs out across the step, pulling down the hem of her skirt, crossing one leg over the other. “She and dad are goin’ to the show in Biloxi; they said this mornin’ when I called ‘em.”

“You don’t seem too happy about it,” Wade pointed out, fixing the cuff of his jeans. He leaned closer towards her, resting his arms on his legs.

“Don’ know what ta think ta be honest with ya,” Annaleigh replied, shaking her head from side to side. “I want them ta get back together so bad; they’re perfect for each other. Since she left, all I wanted was for ‘em ta get back together. I mean they’re not really broken up--she jus kinda left--but they don’ ever wanna be ‘round each other or anythin’--I don’ know--now I’m a bit worried. They haven’ been in the same room together for forever—barely even talk on tha phone—it’s weird.”

Wade stared at her for a moment before running a hand over his face, cupping his chin with his hand. “If it helps, my parents aren’t together, either,” he commented. “I haven’t seen him in years; it’s just my mom, sister, and me.”

“At least you have a sister,” Annaleigh said with a sigh, pulling the hem of her dress lower, silently cursing not only Johanna and Terry, but Chris and Joey for convincing her to wear a dress that short. Not only had she been uncomfortable in it all night, but she was freaking cold.

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but you have a sister, and…” Wade trailed off, closing one eye as he thought, counting off on his fingers. “Two brothers.” Annaleigh gave him a confused look. “Unless you don’t count, what was her name?” He snapped his fingers. “Oh!  Jasmine, or Lance and that guy Darren.” Annaleigh’s lips twitched slightly. “Although with how you two girls were dancing at the AMAs, I’m sure no guy would consider the two of you to be sisters.”

Annaleigh shoved his knee as his lips pulled back into a smile, his beard stretching over his chin. “You were watching us?” she asked him. She felt herself blush.

“Me and a whole bunch of other single guys,” Wade commented and Annaleigh shoved his knee again and he put his hands up defensively. “You can’t blame us. So, you see my point? You have a bigger family then you think.”

“And I’m grateful for it, but I don’t have the family I want,” Annaleigh replied. “It’s always jus’ been me, my mom, and my dad. Now it’s jus’ my dad and me and I don’ even know where she is. It’s like she doesn’ want me ta know where she is, or she doesn’ care…or she doesn’ want me anymore.”

Or this is just between your parents and has nothing to do with you,” Wade said with a shrug of his shoulders. “It sucks, but the problem is with them, not with you. They need to figure things out in their own time.” Annaleigh made a humming sound in the back of her throat. “But you have to work with what you’ve got and you’ve got talent as a musician.”

“Shoot, you’re jus’ sayin’ that ta butter me up,” Annaleigh commented, with a half smile.

“Maybe,” Wade agreed with a boyish smile, causing Annaleigh to laugh. Her laughter echoed around the stair well. He hiked an eyebrow. “But, you know I’m right.”

“Maybe,” Annaleigh replied in the same tone of voice and this time Wade chuckled. “I haven’ told a lot of people about my mom. Thanks for listening.”

“Sure,” Wade said with a smile. “We better get going or ‘Super Joe’ might think I’ve kidnapped you.”

Annaleigh snorted. “Shoot, like I’d be a damsel in distress,” she commented, shifting her eyebrows upwards. “I can hold my own with boys; you ain’t seen me four-wheelin’.” She then gave Wade a sweet smile, exaggeratingly flipping her hair over her shoulder making her way down the stairs. “You city boys know nothin’ ‘bout havin’ fun.”

“I thought it was blondes that had more fun,” Wade commented, clicking his tongue. Annaleigh’s gaze shifted up towards his bleached blonde hair.

“You wouldn’t know much about that, would you?” she asked him, her smile getting a bit bigger. She then pulled open the stairwell door, rejoining the party.

 

End Notes:

Annaleigh's outfit in this chapter for the album release party - http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=128446078

Sorry for the long wait between updating. I had a lot of stuff going on and I had lost inspiration for this story for a little bit. Which is why this is a filler chapter, (which I’m kind of annoyed with) but the next chapter goes into the beginning of tour.

I’ve changed my ideas a lot since starting this story, and I can see a lot of stuff in this that wasn’t needed and that I can take out, but at the same time, I’m enjoying what I’ve written so far and I hope you have, too. Thanks to everyone who’s read the story/checked out what I’ve written. With more free time, I hope to have updates done faster and a couple more stories/one-shots put up soon.

 

 

Southern Hell-spitality (Part I) by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Annaleigh finds out about her parents' problems.

May 5th, 2000

Biloxi, Mississippi


 

Lights flashed, twisted, and twirled around the stage in betweens puffs from the smoke machine, and pyrotechnics exploded from their containers. All the while, Lance and Annaleigh were sitting in the middle of the stage playing game after game of “Rock, Paper, Scissors” over who was going to house *NSYNC at their homes while they had a few days left before the start of tour.

It was only a couple of days away and Annaleigh had never felt more excited, more scared, and more relaxed all at the same time. The stage was even better than she could’ve imagined it looking; much different than how they had imagined it on napkins.

The floor of the stage had a lot of open space, with a couple levels connected with stairs. The very front of the stage had a section cut out for a glass floor mini stage that could rotate and be moved out into the middle of the crowd. Over the back there was an awning like structure with a ramp on both sides of the stage for the boys to run back and forth across the stage.

Curtains obscured the area backstage, keeping the hardworking crew members from view. On either side of the stage, was an area where the band would be playing. All the instruments were set up, but as the crew were testing lights and pyro (with Wade’s voice coming in through the speakers), they couldn’t rehearse.

 “Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!”

“…One more time, the lights were in my eyes.”

“Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!”

“…One more time, I couldn’ hear you count over the pyro.”

“Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!”

“…One more time, I—“

“Ace!” Annaleigh put her hands up defensively when at Lance’s laugh-groan. “We’ve already played eleven games. I won. You lost.” He pointed his finger in her face. “You’re taking Chris in.”

“Nooo,” Annaleigh groaned before holding her hands out towards him. She curled one hand into a fist, holding it over her palm. “One more game; best 11 outta 15.”

“You’re not going to win that one either,” a voice behind Lance said. Annaleigh let out a loud scream, Lance slapped his hands over his ears, jumping to her feet before rushing over to give Jasmine a tight hug.

“You’re actin’ like you haven’ seen her in a while,” Darren commented with an amused smile, reaching his hand out towards Lance. Lance slapped Darren’s palm in greeting.

“You’re jus’ jealous she didn’ hug you first,” Jasmine replied, planting a hand on her hip as she turned to face her brother. Darren silently reached out a hand and pushed her forehead back. Jasmine slapped at his hand before sticking her tongue out at him. “An’ because I’m goin’ ta be her plus one at the party after the concert.”

“Oh, I see how it is, ya jus’ wan’ the free stuff from me,” Annaleigh said with a roll of her eyes. Lance let out a small laugh. He knew exactly how it felt, but he always thought of it as something pretty funny.

He barely heard from people over the years until the news went out that a tour stop would be coming to their city. It was then he got non-stop phone calls from old friends, acquaintances, and family members asking how he was doing before the inevitable questions about free tickets and backstage passes came about.

“If you have connections, use ‘em,” Jasmine replied with a wicked grin, shrugging her shoulders. “Now, I was wonderin’ ‘bout backstage passes…” She stopped talking, spotting the look on Annaleigh’s face, “and you already have ‘em don’ you?”

“And have you complainin’ ‘bout how I couldn’ get you into the concert for hours—“

“And hours,” Darren added.

“And hours,” Lance said with a sigh.

“And hours on end until I ship out for the next show?” Annaleigh asked, waving her hand in Lance and Darren’s direction silently thanking them. “Fat chance. That makes ‘bout as much sense as tits on a bull.”

“Annaleigh Charlotte Carr, have I told ya how much I love ya?” Jasmine asked, bumping her friend’s hip with her own. “Ooh, that means I need ta go out and buy a new outfit and you’re comin’ with me.” She looped her arm through Annaleigh’s, resting her head on her friend’s shoulder.

“I already have wardrobe picked out, but I thank ya kindly,” Annaleigh replied, unwrapping her arm from Jasmine to give Darren a hug. Lance watched as she wrapped her arms around his neck, allowing him to lift her off the ground as he hugged her back. He hiked an eyebrow in their direction, locking eyes with Darren who widened his slightly. “Looks like someone’s been enjoyin’ the cafeteria food at school.”

“All the fried food you can eat, what’s not ta like?” Darren asked, patting his stomach.

“You’ll be rivaling Joey soon if you’re not careful,” Lance commented with a laugh as he got to his feet.

“I heard that!” Joey’s voice came floating towards them.

“They’re gettin’ fitted for wardrobe with the harnesses,” Lance explained with a roll of his eyes.

Darren put a hand on top of Annaleigh’s head after setting her down onto the floor, tilting it back just slightly to smile at her. “Well, aren’ you a sight for sore eyes.”

“Aren’ I always?” Annaleigh asked with a charming smile, batting her eyelashes at him. Darren chuckled, giving a smile of amusement, but didn’t answer. Lance felt his jaw drop just slightly, which he turned into a smile of amusement, exchanging glances with Jasmine who rolled her eyes.

Lance lifted his shirt to wipe at his face before pointing a finger above him. “We’re starting up there, and being lowered on harnesses to start No Strings Attached like we’re puppets,” he said, changing the subject.

“Don’ tell us everythin’” Jasmine said with an excited squeal, clapping her hands together, doing a quick jog in place. “I wanna be surprised.”

 “You guys came just in time,” Wade said as he walked over to the two of them, flipping the microphone in his hands into the air before catching it. He offered Darren his free hand. “Wade Robson, choreographer for the boys.”

“Darren Dale,” Darren replied, shaking his head. “Lance and Ace’s best friend.” He angled his head towards Jasmine. “You remember my sister.”

“Hey,” Jasmine said, lifting a hand to twirl a lock of her hair around her finger.

“Hi.” Wade gave her a warm smile. “I hope you enjoy the show.” He lifted the microphone to his mouth. “We were just about to go through a full run through.” Lance tilted his head back, groaning. His groan mixed in with JC, Joey, Justin, and Chris’s. His feet started to throb as if he had already spent two hours dancing on them; which he had.

 “Y’all are complainin’, but my fingers feel like they’re on fire,” Annaleigh said to Lance, holding her hands out towards him. The pads of her fingers were a bright red.

“Ohh, poor baby,” Wade commented, turning his head towards her, sticking out his bottom lip into a pout. Annaleigh hiked an eyebrow in his direction. “You’re the one who chose not to play with a pick. If these guys have to suffer through an hour or two of dancing, you have to suffer through an hour or two of pain.”

“Guess I forgot to mention how much of an ass Wade can be the closer it gets to the start of a show,” Lance said, pinching the bridge of his nose with his fingers.

Wade’s name was on the line just as much as NSYNC’s was. This was his first huge choreography job. He was getting praise for his work for Bye Bye Bye but this was a whole new album with new choreography that needed to reflect changes in their style of music from song to song.

“Bein’ a brunette is really kickin’ in, ain’t it?” Annaleigh asked, putting her hands on her hips. Wade’s eyebrow twitched, but he didn’t say anything before he made his way towards the back of the stage. Lance’s eyebrows knitted together just slightly as he regarded the exchange.

He had noticed that the two of them had been getting along more now that he had turned down his flirting. For now, anyway. When he was on the job he was focused into getting the best out of his clients but he was still a kid, he was still as young as Justin and Annaleigh. They all knew when to be serious and when to goof off and have fun, they still had a few years left of being teenagers after all.

Annaleigh turned back towards Darren and Jasmine. “You didn’ happen ta see my mom or dad out there, did you? They said they were goin’ ta be here soon.”

“Together?” Jasmine asked, blinking in surprise. She and Darren exchanged glances.

“Like together-together?” Lance asked, crossing his arms over his chest, startled by the question. Annaleigh let out a short laugh as she looked at each of her friends in turn.

“Are you that surprised they want ta come see the show?” she asked.

In short, yes. Lance had seen and heard Annaleigh asking her mom to return, or inviting her to events only to have her not show up at the last minute. Annaleigh would be down in the dumps about it for a couple of days before brightening back to her normal self, convincing anyone that would listen that “something just came up” or that “she was just busy” or anything else she could think of.

“Considerin’ I practically had to drag you here the last time Lance was performin’ here? Yes,” Darren replied.

Lance bowed his head, slightly, shifting his gaze to the floor just slightly. She was having a hard time the last he was performing in Mississippi, she felt like he had abandoned her it shouldn’t have come as a surprise that she didn’t want to come to a show nevertheless to see him.

Hell, he had chosen to stay in Orlando a fair few times, opting to fly his family out to spend time with him instead of taking the time to go back home. But, things were getting better between them, that was something he knew he could hold onto. At least until you finally tell her about her dad. He shook his head slightly, trying to knock the thought out of his head. He tried to stay focused on tour and performing anytime his feet were touching the stage.

“Are you sure she’s actually going to be here this time?” Jasmine asked the question that was on everybody’s mind, lightly placing her fingers on Annaleigh’s arm. “I jus’ don’ want you to be disappointed, girl.”

“Yeah,” Lance agreed.

Although, part of him felt like she was getting used to it. It had been her and her dad for a long time. It had to have been hard for either of her parents to know that while he and Annaleigh were forming a closer bond, her dad was the reason her mom had left in the first place. It was hard enough for him to keep it quiet.

“Sweet Pea.”

“Ma.” Lance twisted his mouth to the side, wincing slightly as Annaleigh hurried over to her parents to give her mom a hug. Her dad hung back to the side, talking to Johnny. Lance noticed he was walking with a bit of a limp. “Hey, daddy.”

“Hi, Sweetheart,” Ryan said, giving his daughter a warm smile. He then shifted his gaze over to Lance, Darren, and Jasmine. “And the gang’s all here.”

“Hi, Mr. Ryan, Miss Caroline,” Lance said with a closed-lipped smile, angling his head just slightly. “How are you doing?”

“Mighty fine, thank you,” Caroline replied, brushing her fingers back behind her ears. “You’ve all grown so much.” She stepped forward to give the three of them a hug. “It’s wonderful to see y’all.” Caroline gave Lance a smile, briefly cupping his face with her hands. “Tell Diane I said ‘hello’ for me?”

“Yes, ma’am, I will,” Lance replied with a smile.

“Come on, I want y’all ta meet the rest of the band,” Annaleigh said, grasping her parents’ wrists, pulling them towards the back of the stage.

“Make it quick, we have to start up rehearsals, soon,” Johnny said, turning his arm to glance at his watch. “And I have to tell you all something.”

“Oh, well, here comes Mika now,” Annaleigh said. “He plays the keyboard in the band. He jus’ started ‘round the same time I did.” She let go of her parents hands and waved the teenage boy over. “Mika, come meet my parents.”

Lance looked over at Mika and watched as his pace slowed to a stop as a startled look quickly passed over his features. He lifted his foot, looking like he wanted to change directions and walk away, but he put a smile to his face, extending his hand as he made his way over to the Carr family.

“Mika, this is my mom Caroline, and my dad Ryan,” Annaleigh said with a smile. “Mom, dad, this is Mika.”

“That’s such an unusual name,” Caroline said with a half smile, shaking Mika’s hand.

“Um, yeah,” Faye said, his face turning a bright pink. He then slid his hands into his jeans pockets, giving Ryan a nod in greeting. “Nice to, um, meet you, sir.” Lance watched as a muscle in his arm twitched before he removed his hand from his pocket, holding his hand out towards Ryan.

Lance watched the two men shake hands and blinked a few times spotting the same shaped jaw, rounded nose, the same square shoulders…Lance swallowed thickly, turning to look over Jasmine’s head at Darren, who looked just as startled, confused, and he felt.  He was sure he was looking at Annaleigh’s half-brother.

“Likewise,” Ryan replied before clearing his throat.

“And you already know Lance and Jasmine, but this is Darren, Jasmine’s brother,” Annaleigh continued, motioning towards his friend.

“Hey, what’s up?” Darren said, shaking Mika’s hand.

“Well, now that I have you here, and Lance you can relay this to everyone else, but…” Johnny trailed off, rubbing his hands together, smiling at the suspense he was building. He motioned towards Annaleigh who peered curiously up at him. “How would you like to open the tour alongside your dad?”

“Seriously?” Lance asked.

He knew Ryan used to be a huge musician, but he also knew of him just as the Youth Pastor at their church. Not only that, but he taught Religious Studies at the local school. He had put his music past way behind him, and had obviously tried his hardest to steer his only daughter away from the limelight as she grew up.

“That’s awesome,” Jasmine said with a wide smile. “Father and daughter on stage together? And Mr. Ryan, it’d be cool to see you playin’ your guitar again.”

“And Mika, we were hoping for you to join in, to showcase the skills of our two newest, and youngest, members of the NSYNC band,” Johnny said, indicating Mika, whose eyes widened, taking a small step back.

“Oh, Sweetheart,” Caroline said, her hands flying up to cover her mouth. “That’d be fun to watch.”

“Wait, wait, wait,” Annaleigh said, waving her hand in the air. “You want my dad, Mika, and I to play a couple of songs to open the first night of tour?”

“Yes,” Johnny replied with a simple nod of his head.

“No,” Annaleigh replied with a bark of laughter. “First off, my dad isn’ inta this kind of thing anymore.” Ryan opened his mouth to respond, but she kept going. “I mean it took a lot of beggin’ jus’ for him to let me go out to Orlando to audition for the band and second of all; no.”

“That’s not a reason to decline, Sweet Pea,” Caroline said in a soothing tone.

“It is for her,” Lance replied. Caroline looked over at him, a solemn look crossing her face. Lance’s stomach started to knot painfully in the center of his stomach.

“I think it’s a good idea,” Caroline tried again.

“Ma, you didn’ even want me ta go to Orlando either,” Annaleigh said, rounding on her. Caroline briefly closed her eyes. She crossed her arms over her chest, looking back and forth between the two of them. “So, what’s changed? What’s going on?”

“Let’s not talk about this right now, ok?” Ryan asked, clearing his throat, putting his hands on his daughter’s shoulders. “We don’ want to take your mind off of rehearsal.”

Too late, Lance thought to himself with a snort.

“Why don’t you go an’ get ready and we’ll talk to you afterwards?” Caroline added, clasping her hands together in front of her lap. She then stepped forward to give her daughter a kiss on the cheek. “At least just consider it, Annaleigh. You don’ have to make a decision right now.”

“I’ll come too, I want to say ‘hi’ to the boys,” Jasmine said. Whether or not she was trying to get away from the tension, Lance wasn’t sure, but he had the sudden urge to follow her. “And learn more about this one.”

“Um, ok,” Mika said as Jasmine grabbed his arm, pulling him across the stage. He also looked relieved to be leaving.

“I thought she would like my suggestions, I apologize,” Johnny said, shifting uncomfortably from foot to foot.

“You don’ have to apologize on behalf of our daughter,” Caroline said, giving him a patient smile. “We knew she’d act this way.” She let out a tinkling laugh. “The first pageant I put her in, she got on stage and cried she was so nervous.” Johnny chuckled good naturedly as she turned her attention towards Lance and Darren. “I know my bein’ here must be a surprise.”

“Well…it’s jus’ that you haven’ really been around,” Darren replied as politely as he could. A muscle in his jaw twitched. “And…she needed you there.”

“I know, it was jus’ her father and I couldn’ work through our problems,” Caroline replied with a sad smile. “I want ta thank the two of you for lookin’ after her. We both know it’s not an easy thing ta do, but we really appreciate it.” She gave Johnny a smile. “An’ you as well.”

“It’s my pleasure,” Johnny replied with a small smile.

“Especially now that she’s out on the road,” Ryan added in a gruff voice. “Things were gettin’ hard at home an’ I didn’ want her ta see it an’ worry.” He sucked in a deep breath of air. “Caroline an’ I are getting’ a divorce.”

“I filed this mornin’,” Caroline added.

Lance made a humming sound in the back of his throat. Darren bowed his head, cupping the back of his neck with his hands. He walked a few paces away before coming back. “Are you sure?” Lance asked quietly. “I mean…there’s nothing you two could do to…I don’t know, fix things? Therapy?”

“We’ve tried,” Ryan replied. “But, what happened, what I did is jus’ too hard ta forget.” He looked back and forth between the two of them. “I had an affair when I was on the road with my band and I had gotten another woman pregnant. It’s why I was so…resilient ta have her join y’all. I didn’ want her ta find out ‘bout what I had done.”

“I know this may come as a shock to you, and it puts you in a terrible position as her friends, but you can’ tell her,” Caroline said quietly. “This is something Ryan and I have to tell her.”

“Um…we already knew,” Darren replied after a moment of silence. Ryan blinked in surprise.

“My dad told us…” Lance trailed off, angling his head to the side. “We know that Ace has a half-brother and we know about your affair.” He ran his fingers through his hair. “He just wanted me to look out for her like I promised you.”

“I appreciate that Lance,” Ryan said, clapping his hands together.

“But, Jazzy doesn’ know,” Darren added. “Just the two of us, I swear.” He swallowed thickly. “I won’t tell Ace. I promise.”

“Me neither,” Lance quickly agreed. “I don’t think I could.” He let out a heavy sigh through his nose, looking at the spot Mika was previously standing in before looking at Ryan, and then finally at Johnny. “It’s Mika isn’t it? That time I interrupted you talking to him?” Johnny slowly nodded. “You knew this whole time?”

“I put him in the band because he wanted to meet her,” Johnny explained, a pained expression crossing his face. Darren let out a low whistle before silently cursing. “He didn’t tell me until after he auditioned. I didn’t have any reason to not believe him. He told me that he had called Ryan a couple of times when she first got down to Florida to talk to her, but he found out that she had gone down there.”

“I didn’ tell him why she was there; he said he was an old friend of hers, and with how often y’all were runnin’ ‘round as kids, I didn’ know who she was with all the time,” Ryan explained. “As long as she was with y’all I knew she’d be ok. I was in contact with his mother for a little while, maybe she told him, I don’ know.”

“His audition was really good and if hiring him meant that not only did he get to meet his sister, but I got a good musician out of it…” Johnny trailed off, holding his hands out beside him as if they were a scale. He raised and lowered them before dropping his arms down to his sides, sliding his hands into his jeans pockets.

“I tried keepin’ up with child support for him, but the older he got and the older Annaleigh got…” Ryan let out a heavy sigh. “I’m not proud of my sins and I’ve tried to learn from them, but it’s been hard. Everythin’ she’s been sendin’ home has been to pay off what I owe and…I took some money from her mother as well.”

This was just too much. There was no way Lance would be able to keep all of that a secret from his best friend when he still had the tour looming over his head. He lifted his hands to his face, brushing them over his face before running his fingers through his hair.

 “We won’t tell her,” Lance said around a heavy sigh.

“Tell me what?”

Shit. Panic clutched at Lance’s heart. Darren let out another curse, a hand flying up to cover his mouth. Ryan and Caroline shared a look of panic before facing their daughter. Lance’s  feet tingled, urging him to make a getaway, but he couldn’t move.

“Tell me what?” Annaleigh replied, carrying her guitar over them. Jasmine was talking animatedly with Mika as the other members of NSYNC came out from backstage, ready to rehearse.

“Tell you that—“

Don’t Darren,” Lance said, interrupting his friend, shooting him an annoyed look. Darren’s eyes widened.

“We’re her best friends, we shoulda told her a long time ago,” Darren shot back.

“It’s not your place to tell her, we shoulda done it ourselves,” Caroline said to the two boys despite taking a couple of steps closer towards her daughter. “Look, Sweet Pea—“

“Just tell me what’s goin’ on,” Annaleigh said, looking back and forth between the two of them. Lance saw a hopeful look come to her eyes as she shifted her gaze over to Johnny, Darren, and then himself. His lips parted slightly, but he stayed silent. “Are y’all getting’ back together?”

“No, sweetie, we’re not,” Ryan replied. “We’ve jus’ grown apart.” Caroline snorted. “There are some mistakes we can’ move on from.”

“I’ve tried movin’ on,” Caroline snapped, snapping her attention to her husband. “But you jus’ can’t ignore—“

“They’re getting’ divorced, ok?” Darren blurted out. “That’s it. They’re gettin’ a divorce.”

“Darren,” Lance cried. His next words died on his lips as he turned to face Annaleigh who was slowly shaking her head back and forth.

“You jus’ moved out, ma, tha’s all,” she said, a small smile coming to her face. “You can come back. We want ya, too. Right, dad?”

“That’s right,” Ryan agreed after a moment of silence. “But, sweetie, that’s not—“

“See?” Annaleigh turned back towards Darren. “They’re not gettin’ a divorce. Dad wants her back an’…an’ so do I. We can be a family again.” A pleading tone came to her voice. “Ma? Dad?”

“I’m sorry, Sweet Pea, but I filed for divorce this mornin’,” Caroline said. Lance bowed his head as the words reached his ears. It was one thing to see the divorce papers, but to actually hear the words? He knew that had to crush her and he couldn’t force himself to look over at her.

“But…why?” Annaleigh asked. Lance pressed his lips tightly together. He looked over at Darren out of the corner of his eyes. He was shifting his weight from foot to foot. No one said a word. “Someone answer me! Why are you gettin’ a divorce?” The silence continued to stretch on.

“They’re splittin’ up because—“

“It’s not your place to say, son,” Johnny said, putting a hand on Darren’s shoulder. “You should let her parents tell her.”

“They won’ ever tell her—“

“Not with how well her father thinks he keep a secret from the family and think everythin’ will be ok,” Caroline snapped.

“I’ve apologized and apologized for that,” Ryan said through clenched teeth. “But, now’s not tha time—“

“She wants ta know why we’re gettin’ divorced, I think now’s tha time,” Caroline replied with a shriek of laughter. “You think she’s gonna be able to focus on anythin’ now that we brought this up? We can’ just not tell her, but hat seems ta be your answer for everythin’.”

Lance clenched his teeth tightly together as the arguing went on around him. He could feel the words jumbling in his chest, climbing up his throat. It was hard to breathe, his chest was hurting. The shouting was getting too loud. He just wanted it all to stop.

“He had an affair!” Lance blurted out, practically shouting the words. “He had an affair, ok? He got another woman pregnant. You have a half-brother.”

Lance sucked in a deep breath of air before letting it out of his mouth. Darren scratched the back of his neck, Johnny adjusted the cap on his head, Caroline had her hands crossed over her heart with tears shining in her eyes, and Ryan looked like he wanted to comfort his daughter, but stood stock still.

“Oh,” Annaleigh said. Her voice was barely above a whisper. He could hear her words shake just slightly.

“Ace.” Darren stepped towards her, stopping when she took a step back. And another. And another.

“Say something,” Lance prompted, his voice cracking.

Annaleigh looked over at him, her eyes narrowing slightly. She loudly sniffed before swallowing thickly stepping over to him. He let out a grunt when she shoved her guitar into his chest. “Play your own fuckin’ music,” she snapped before storming off stage.

Everyone was silent until Chris said, "So...are we allowed to curse around her, now?"

 

End Notes:

 

I'm thinking of re-writing this story. I do, for the most part, like what I have, but I feel like I can do it better. I've skipped a lot of things I had originally planned to have as well as skimmed over some important parts because I felt like it was taking too long to get to the tour aspect of the story.

I haven't ultimately decided at this point, but I just wanted to let you all know.

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2559