Ace of Spades by AceofSpades
Past Featured StorySummary:

"House of Cards" re-write, sequel to "Card Castle,", part 2 of the "Deck of Cards" series.

Won "Impressive Characterization of Lance" in NF's Season 9 Awards.

In the wake of the publicized trial against Lou Pearlman, and recording of the highly anticipated second *NSYNC album, No Strings Attached, the boys look to hire a new bass player that can help promote their new sound at  their live shows. That’s where Lance Bass’s friend, Annaleigh ‘Ace’  Carr, comes in. However, all bets might be off even before all the cards were even laid out on the table.

Lance Bass: Southern, compassionate, and fun loving fifth member of the ever popular boy band *NSYNC. Recovering from the surprising, sudden, and public court case win against the group’s creator, it looks like the boy band has everything going for them. With a new manager, new music, a new live band member in the form of his old friend, and new lives free from the master puppet Lou Pearlman the only way they can go is up. With his puppet strings clipped, Lance takes the time to learn about himself with no strings holding him back.

Annaleigh ‘Ace’ Carr: Smart, feisty, witty, sometimes scatterbrained, perfectionist; all the things that make up a hard working bass player. It was all the attributes that caught the attention of *NSYNC with the intention of hiring her as the new bass player for their live band. Traveling around the world, seeing the sights, meeting the people, and working with five of the hottest men on the planet; who wouldn’t want a job like that? She’s used to being in the background, following in Lance’s footsteps, but with her job on the line, she has to learn how to put herself in the forefront and deal with secrets that will shake her foundation to the core.


Categories: Group, In Progress Het Stories Characters: Group, Lance Bass
Awards: None
Genres: Angst, Celebrity/Celebrity, Drama, General, Humor, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: Deck of Cards
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 98622 Read: 9177 Published: Aug 03, 2014 Updated: Feb 14, 2016
Story Notes:

Part 2 in the "Deck of Cards" series. "House of Cards" re-write.

Disclaimer: I don't own *NSYNC or their friends, family, or other celebrities mentioned in this fic and/or the other fics and I write in the future. I only own Alan, Jasmine, any other OC, and Annaleigh and her family and her plotline.

stories/2057/images/Banner_-_Ace_of_Spades.jpg

 

1. Cards Against Humanity (I) by AceofSpades

2. Cards Against Humanity (II) by AceofSpades

3. Small Town to O-Town by AceofSpades

4. Let Her Go (I) by AceofSpades

5. Let Her Go (II) by AceofSpades

6. Jump Right In by AceofSpades

7. Second Thoughts by AceofSpades

8. False Pretenses by AceofSpades

9. Jitters by AceofSpades

10. The Road to the AMAs by AceofSpades

11. This Is Where Your Life Starts (I) by AceofSpades

12. This is Where Your Life Starts (II) by AceofSpades

13. Birthday Blues by AceofSpades

14. Not a Bad Thing by AceofSpades

15. Comfort Food by AceofSpades

Cards Against Humanity (I) by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
NSYNC is looking for a new bass player and Annaleigh Carr gets a personal invitation to try out.

~1~

December 31, 1999

Clinton, Mississippi

Getting a personal invitation to audition for *NSYNC’s live band for their next concert tour was never in the cards for Annaleigh. At least she never imagined seeing that as she flipped them over one by one to see if she would ever get out of Mississippi.

Hi, I’m Melanie Rains and I’m the A&R Scout for Jive Records, and I’d like to invite you out to Orlando, Florida, to audition for the vacant spot in *NSYNC’s live band as the new bass guitarist. We are looking at a few select people to audition that have been recommended to us as well as many other musicians from around the United States. Auditions will be held in Orlando in a week’s time on Tuesday, January 7th, 2001.

“I understand this is a quick turn around, but with the sudden departure of our previous bass player over a family emergency, the end of the ‘NSYNC in Concert’ Tour tonight, working on the new album, live appearances starting with the AMAs, and a future tour, we need a new bass player lined up as soon as possible. You can call me back at this number between 9am and 6pm to accept or decline this offer as the case may be. I look forward to hearing back from you.”

“If you choose to attend the audition, please come prepared with a song or two rehearsed and ready to play at any time. We’ll have the equipment set up for you, however we understand a personal preference with instruments, so you are free to bring your own bass guitar with you. Also come prepared to answer a few questions regarding your musical experience and why you think you’ll be a good fit for the band. Hope to hear from you soon.

And to think she never thought anything exciting would happen to her in her sixteen years of life. She had just gotten off her New Year’s shift at the local diner when she received the voicemail. She didn’t believe it at first; it felt like it was going to be just another night at work.

All she wanted was to see what the world had to offer for her. It just didn’t look like it was meant to happen at the time. But Christmas time was all about miracles and in Clinton, Mississippi, they celebrated Christmas and what joys it could give them all month long. This Christmas season proved to have a lot in store for her…as long as she could get through work for the night.

“Thank you for coming out tonight for our New Year’s celebration. We’re going to end the night with your favorite, Awake and Alive.”

A smattering of applause and whistles echoed through the Ole Miss diner. Chairs creaked as the patrons shifted in anticipation, leaning forward as they waited for the opening chords to the song.

16-year-old Annaleigh Carr adjusted her guitar strap, balancing the bass guitar against her right thigh before straightening, pulling her guitar pick out from underneath the strings pressing down on the frets. She flipped it between her fingers before adjusting the microphone stand in front of her. Once everything was in order, she turned towards her dad, Ryan Carr, giving him a smile to show that she was ready.

Turning back towards the microphone, she lifted her hand, curling every finger towards her palm except for her pinky and thumb, pressing the edge of her pinky against the tip of the microphone, the side of her thumb nail gently jabbing her bottom lip. Hearing a quick count of four from the tapping of Ryan’s foot, she started playing the quick opening chords, the violin player catching everyone’s attention with its high pitched sound playing out the melody.

“I’m at world and they try and pull me into the dark,” Ryan sang, pressing his lips against the microphone, right hand twitching up and down as he plucked the strings with his guitar pick. “I struggle to find my faith, as I’m slipping from your arms.”

Annaleigh sucked in a breath of air, briefly closing her eyes before looking into the sea of smiling faces taking her turn at the microphone. “It’s getting harder to stay awake, and my strength is fading fast.” She plucked the thick bass guitar strings with the tip of her pick, angling her head slightly towards the amp that sat behind her. “You breathe into me at last.”

I'm awake I'm alive
Now I know what I believe inside
Now it's my time
I'll do what I want 'cause this is my life
Here (right here), right now (right now)
I'll stand my ground and never back down
I know what I believe inside
I'm awake and I'm alive

They played through the rest of the song, the audience quietly singing along. Annaleigh struck the last chord, accenting the last hit of the crash symbol from the small drum kit and smiled as the diner burst into applause and cheers. Annaleigh felt a warm hand touch her shoulder and smiled up at her dad before the two of them bent at the waist, bowing.

“Thank you for coming out tonight, and God Bless,” Ryan said into his microphone, lifting his free hand in the air in a wave. “Enjoy your New Year’s and drive safely. Remember, you can pick up your complimentary album at the counter or you can come find me in church.”

Annaleigh let out the breath of air she had been holding since they had started playing as she stepped back from the front of the makeshift stage to unplug her guitar. As a Christmas gift that year, she had barely let it out of her sights, and had barely had enough time to learn anything on it before being thrust into performing. She had made so many mistakes, she was surprised nobody noticed.

Or cared.

Everybody always said, “Oh, no one will notice” but she always noticed and she figured they were just being polite. It was Clinton, Mississippi; everybody was polite there. Even when the newest gossip story hit the streets, passing around from person to person, it was told in the most polite way possible, accompanied by a slight head tilt of sympathy and a “Bless their heart.” She had seen that look, and heard those words, directed towards her too many times.

“That was a great show, Sweet Pea,” Ryan said, pressing his lips to the back of Annaleigh’s head in a quick kiss.

Annaleigh clicked her tongue as she zipped her guitar case closed before straightening, brushing her dark brown tresses out of her face before planting her hands on her hips. “Shoot, dad, I messed up my chord changes and I dropped my pick a coupla times,” she commented, twisting her mouth to the side.

“But, you kept goin’ and that’s what’s important,” Ryan replied as he removed the strap of his guitar from around his neck, gently setting it down onto the ground. He pointed a finger at her, his lips twitching up into a smile before placing it on her nose. “For someone whose jus’ recorded these songs on a computer the other day—which I still don’t really understand—you did your best, that’s all I’m asking for.”

“Thank ya, daddy,” Annaleigh replied with an over the top smile before moving to give him a side hug. “Come on, let’s get ya off yer feet.” She took his guitar from him, setting it down into its case before taking his hand, looping an arm around his waist, helping him shuffle to he edge of the stage, his soft boot cast dragging on the floor. “You heard what the doctor said.”

“There’s too much to do to just sit around all the gosh darn time,” Ryan replied through gritted teeth as he slowly stepped down off the stage and onto the floor. He reached for the crutch being held out towards him and gave a nod of thanks to the patron before he shoved it into his armpit. “Don’t worry ‘bout me, just head back to work before I get you fired.”

Because we need the money. She let out a heavy sigh through her nose.

He didn’t say those words, and she knew he’d never let those words out of his mouth, but she could practically see them on the tip of his tongue. Ever since her mom had left, money was tight. Ryan could only work so many hours at the University of Mississippi and as the evening Youth Pastor at their local church, going back and forth day in and day out. So she picked up a job at the local diner, working around her school, soccer, and church schedule.

“Are sure you’re gonna be ok?” Annaleigh asked. Ryan chuckled and instead of replying, just placed a kiss on the top of her head before giving her a small shove. “Alright, alright. I’m goin’.” She gave his hand a gentle squeeze before moving her way through the packed diner—thanking everyone that gave her compliments on the performance—before making her way around the back of the diner counter, reaching for her apron on the hook.

“Almost late.”

“I’m bringin’ more people to the diner, McIntyre, you should be happy,” Annaleigh said to her co-worker and son of the owner of the diner, Alan McIntyre before sticking her tongue out at him.

She had known him since they were kids and only became friends after an incident at the baseball diamond where she smacked herself in the face with her own soccer ball in a botched attempt to prove to him that girls could do anything boys could. He was two years older than her and one of the stars of the high school’s baseball team. In Clinton, if you weren’t born to be a singer, you were born to be a baseball player. They were the two things that really put the city on the map.

“What’s on order?”

“Two fried Oreos, one bacon cheeseburger with fries, and three eggnogs,” Alan replied, passing her a slip of paper with the order on it. It wasn’t Sothern food if it wasn’t fried and greasy, that was for sure. “Dad’s makin’ the eggnog, and I’ll get the burger if you make the fried Oreos.” Before she could answer, he stopped to give her a warning look. “And don’ eat so many Oreos this time...or pancake mix.”

“It’s good and ya know it. Have you tried it it with a Hershey bar?” Annaleigh replied with a grin, the mole on her upper lip disappearing as she did so. If there was one thing she couldn’t get enough of, it was chocolate. Whether she needed something sweet, some comfort food, or had a craving for it, chocolate was always her go to snack.

Alan just rolled his eyes, his lips twitching into a brief smile. When it came down to baseball and working at the diner, he knew when to be serious and when to have fun. Unfortunately a lot of the time, and in her opinion too much of the time, he chose to be serious. ”Where are the bowls?”

“Right where ya left ‘em,” Alan replied, dropping a meat patty onto the grill, quickly pulling his hand back as it started to sizzle. He reached over towards the fryer and grabbed a bowl filled with goopy, slightly hard, pancake mix.

“And the Oreos?” Annaleigh asked.

“Didja check your locker?” he replied, deadpan. A split second later, a string of curses came rushing out of his mouth after getting smacked in the back of the head by his father’s hand. “I was kidding.”

“Leave her be, son,” Mr. McIntyre said to him before giving Annaleigh a warm smile. “There’s some more in the back. The missus is back there lookin’ after all the young’uns.” Annaleigh blinked her thanks before heading into the back of the diner, smiling to herself as she watched all the little kids in the room ran circles around Mrs. McIntyre, fighting for her attention.

“Miss Anna, Miss Anna,” the kids all chanted as soon as they spotted her.

“What are you doing?” a boy with a gap in his teeth asked as he walked over to her. He tilted his head back to look at her with his wide eyes.

To tell or not to tell? Telling would entail a bunch of little kids to whine incessantly and stomp their feet to get a cookie. Not telling would have the same result. Kids and cookies went hand in hand, there’s no way she would be able to sneak it past them. Annaleigh opened a cabinet door and pulled out a package of cookies, handing it to Gap Tooth.

“Only two per person, ok?” she said to him.

“Kay,” he chirped, giving a bright smile before turning on his feet to give the package of cookies to Mrs. McIntyre. “Miss Lucy, we can only have two.”

“Yes, I heard, dear,” Mrs. McIntyre said with a chuckle as she took the package from Gap Tooth. “Thank you.” She opened the package and the kids swarmed around her, fidgeting as they waited for their treats to be put into their hands. Annaleigh reached for a second package of cookies before closing the cabinet. She made her way over to the table, leaned over the kids’ heads and grabbed a couple of Oreos from the package before hurrying out of the room, a chorus of, “Heyyyy” and “Miss Lucy!” following behind her.

Annaleigh let out an over the top cackle before taking a bite out of the cookie in her hand. Laughing to herself, she made her way back over to the fryer and quickly opened the package coating four cookies in the bowl of pancake batter before dropping them into the fryer. The oil bubbled instantly.

Annaleigh pulled her hair back into a ponytail with her hands. She pulled the elastic band off of her wrist to secure her hair as she turned to face the counter, smiling when she spotted her friends, Darren and Jasmine Dale. “What can I get y’all?” Annaleigh asked, resting her arms on the counter. Before they could answer she tiled her head to the side and said, “I know what y’all can get me…a foot massage. My feet are killin’ me!”

“How ‘bout some s’mores at the fire tower?” Jasmine asked, removing her arms from the puffy coat that was previously wrapped around her body. Melting snowflakes dotted their hair, hats, and the scarves they adorned to keep out the Mississippi cold. “The bonfire’s already lit, Ace.”

Annaleigh was called “Ace” by practically everybody in town that knew her. She had been going by that nickname for years, courtesy of Darren who had at first called her that when he was teasing her. It stuck partially because her initials, A.C., already sounded like the name and partially because she used it to describe herself. Give her enough time to try something and she was sure to ace it. Or completely bomb.

“Can’t. I don’t get off work until midnight,” Annaleigh replied with a shake of her head before turning back to the deep fryer. “Wouldn’t even be worth trying to see the fireworks.”

She removed the fried dessert with a handheld strainer that hung from the wall and shook off the excess oil before gently placing them onto a clean plate. After locating the bottle of powdered sugar, she sprinkled the white powder onto the fried treat before setting it down onto the serving counter.

“Come on, the fireworks are the best part,” Jasmine protested, her words spilling out of her mouth, jumbling together the faster the came out. “And it’s tradition, we always go and ring in the new year, and we don’t have to be there when the fireworks actually go off,  I mean, they’re still firing ‘em off at one in the morning…“

Annaleigh let out a sigh through her nose, drumming her fingers on the counter as she waited for her friend to finish her train of thought, or to be interrupted, whichever came first. Jasmine could never sit still and did just about everything fast; eating, talking, walking, you name it. Everybody called her “Jazzy” as it always seemed like she was jazzed up on caffeine or something that gave her nonstop bursts of energy.

“Well, I have to make sure dad gets home ok, too,” Annaleigh said, interrupting him.

“I’m sure mom and dad won’t have a problem dropping him off,” Darren replied, setting his brown eyes on her. He then leaned back on the stool he was sitting on, looking around the crowded area for his parents. “See? He seems to be doing ok.”

He was two years older than both Annaleigh and his sister and was often the one to calm them down. Attending school at the University of Mississippi, he spent as much time as he could at home making sure his family was ok, and to look out for his sister. At a time where a lot of older siblings chose to distance themselves from their younger siblings as they moved on with their lives, the two of them just got closer. Annaleigh loved that about him, amongst a laundry list of other things.

“I just don’t want him to be alone,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug of her shoulders. “Why do you think I said I’d perform with him tonight? I needed to get him out of the house for a little while.” Feeling a nudge in her side she turned her head to see a stack of menus balanced on Alan’s outstretched palm. He gently jabbed her in the side a second time with the corner of the stack and she took them from him, adding them to the stack underneath the counter. “He shouldn’t be sitting at home by himself counting down ‘till midnight. And it’s the first New Year’s without mom, so…”

Annaleigh looked through the crowd and over at her dad, who was sitting at a table with Evelyn and John Dale. He seemed to be in good spirits, talking and laughing with them, nursing a hot chocolate, but she could see the distance in his eyes. The same distance that she had seen since she had come home from seeing Darren off to college only to find that her mom had moved out. That was only five months ago, and she still expected her mom to step through the door at any minute bearing gifts and apologies.

Realistically, she knew it would never come, not if her parents’ previous arguments were any indication. She just wish she knew why her mom had left. Her dad could be overprotective of her from time to time, and while they normally had open lines of communication and trust, he just seemed to shut down from the event. Not that she could blame him.

“And you chose to be working the whole night?” Alan asked, clearly listening in on their conversation. He slapped a wet rag down onto the counter and started wiping it down.

“We need the money,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug of her shoulders. “Dad’s not doing much with his busted ankle, so…” She spread out her arms indicating the diner.

She’d been working at the Ole Miss Diner since the start of that summer, starting out as a busser and quickly working her way up to a cook and server. Not that it was much of a surprise to anyone; living in Mississippi, it was normal for a girl to be taught how to run a home in the chance they decide to be a stay at home mom in the future. Not that it really mattered, the minute her mom had left, Annaleigh’s fate had been set in stone.

Alan hiked a brow before running his fingers through his hair. He twisted his mouth to the side before letting out a sigh through his nose, briefly closing his eyes. “Alright, get out of here,” he said after a moment of silence.

“What?” Annaleigh asked him before she shifted her cognac brown eyes up towards the clock that ticked close and closer to midnight. “But, it’s not even ten o’clock.”

Alan clicked his tongue, waving his hand in the air. “Think of it as a late Christmas gift,” he replied, a half smile coming to his face. “This place will be emptying out closer to midnight anyway so soon you wouldn’t be doing much.” He waved his hand in the air. “I’ll talk to dad, make sure you can keep your pay for the night.”

“Are you sure?” Annaleigh pressed. She was already reaching for the knot sitting in the center of her back, loosening it.

“Yeah, don’t worry about it,” Alan replied with a nod of his head. “You’ve been workin’ hard all this time, you deserve it.”

“You’re awesome, Al,” Annaleigh said with a smile as she moved past him, gently hitting him on the arm when she heard him quip, “I know.” She headed into the back of the diner, shoving her apron into her locker before removing her bag, coat, hat, and scarf. Waving to Mrs. McIntyre and throwing an. ‘I’ll see ya tomorrow” over her shoulder, she made her way out into the eating area.

She stepped over to her dad and wrapped her arms around his neck to give him a kiss on the cheek. “Is it ok if I head out with D and Jazzy?” she asked him. He knelt beside him “I don’t have to if ya don’t want me to.”

“Go hang out with your friends, Sweet Pea,” Ryan said, placing his big hand over top her smaller one, giving it a gentle squeeze. “It’ New Year’s, you don’t want to hang out with an injured old man like me.” He was joking, but since the minute he had broken his ankle, he tried to continue his old routines, too proud to ask for help most of the time. “John and Evelyn are going ta hang around for a while and make sure I get home, ok. You do the same, ya hear?”

“I’ll make sure of it, sir.” Darren offered his hand and Ryan shook his hand.

“Now, go on,” Ryan said, lifting his hand to pat his daughter’s cheek. “Have fun, sweetie.”

“Thanks, dad.” Annaleigh gave him another kiss on the cheek before sliding into her coat. She wrapped her scarf around her neck, and slid her hat onto her head before following her friends out the door.

“See, that wasn’t so bad,” Jasmine said as she looped her arm through her friend’s huddling against her to block out the crisp cold air.

“I don’t know,” Annaleigh muttered, glancing back at the diner as they walked farther and farther away from it. She reached into her bag for her cell phone and clicked her tongue as she turned it on. It vibrated slightly in her hand before the lights flashed on. After a moment she saw that she had a couple of missed calls. “Sorry, I didn’t get your calls, I didn’t have my phone on me.”

“You deserve to have some fun, you know,” Darren said to her, spinning his car keys around his index finer. “You’ve been workin’ nonstop since…yeah.” He let out a breath through his nose turning into condensation, twisting and turning in the air before it dissipated. “At least stay at the party for a little while, if you wanna leave, I’ll take you home.”

“Thank ya,” Annaleigh replied, her phone up to her ear as she listened to her messages. She quickly deleted the first two messages after briefly listening to her friends’ voices, before listening to the next message. The message from Melanie Rains. And she couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

 “Oh, very funny, Jazz,” Annaleigh said with a roll of her eyes as she removed her phone from her ear. She leaned up against the side of Darren’s truck as Jasmine spun towards her, executing a perfect pirouette with the help of the snow. “I know you wanted me to hang out, but did you really think that’d work?”

Jasmine planted her hands on her hips, her eyebrows lowering into a look of confusion. “What are you talking about?” she asked, tilting her head to the side. Annaleigh twisted her mouth to the side.

If she didn’t feel plain in comparison to her friend before, she definitely did now. Jasmine’s bright pink cheeks and nose made her look even more beautiful than she already did. Annaleigh’s brown hair and brown eyes barely compared to Jasmine’s dirty blond hair and green eyes. It was no wonder she’d never had a boyfriend, let alone never been kissed.

Jasmine took Annaleigh’s phone and pressed the phone to her ear, sticking a glove covered finger into her other ear, eyes shifting back and forth as she listened closely. “Melanie Rains?” Her nose wrinkled as she passed the phone back. “Come on, girl, if I wanted ta trick you, I would’ve thought of a better name than that.”

“Like what? Mississippi Summers?” Annaleigh asked, kicking up a leg and talking in a falsetto. Jasmine let out a single “Ha!” in laughter, shaking her head back and forth.

“Let me see that,” Darren said, holding out his hand for the phone. He wiggled his fingers and Jasmine slapped the phone into Darren’s hand. He listened to the message as well, merely letting out a “Hmm” when he was done. “Jazzy doesn’t talk that slow. Ever.”

“Heyyy,” Jasmine said, smacking her brother on the arm. She then gave a dazzling smile. “Even though it’s true.”

“So, you think it’s…real?” Annaleigh asked, taking her phone back. She listened to the message again, and then a third time.

“Put it on speaker,” Darren suggested. A second later, they were all listening to the voice message out loud. The message ended with a click. Silence fell over the three of them punctuated from the clicking of the snow hitting the metal of Darren’s truck. She must’ve been mirroring her friends’ looks of curiosity, surprise, and doubt.

Annaleigh didn’t know whether or not to believe the message, but it was specific about the location, and *NSYNC had just been signed to Jive Records after a lengthy court battle with their former manager, Lou Pearlman. If she were to audition and get into the band then and there, she wouldn’t be home for months, she’d have little time to have her replaced at the diner, and her dad had already gone through a sudden departure in his life, and another one was definitely not in the cards for him.

“There’s only one person to answer whether or not this is true,” Darren said, reaching up a hand to adjust the hat on his head. “Call Lance, see what’s going on.” He tilted his arm to catch the glow of the street light over  the face of his watch. “It’s only…five in the evening in Hawaii.”

Lance Bass was the last to round out the group of best friends and his cards had spelled out his destiny years before when he had joined *NSYNC.  Ever since their showcase at Pleasure Island, *NSYNC was on the up and up, and in turn, the three of them barely got to see their friend. They were happy for him and made it a point to attend any show that was in Mississippi, but they missed him all the same. No one could deny that he was meant to be a star, he had even gotten into Clinton High School’s top show choir, Attaché, as a freshman.

The automated voice in her phone pealed and she realized she had another message. She quickly listened to it before hanging up. “Wouldn’t you know it, he left a message too, said to call him back,” she said. Darren gave her a smug smile which she chose to ignore. “I’ll call him on the way over.” She shivered against the breeze that swept the snow into the air. Darren reached for the scarf around his neck and unwrapped it before draping it around her neck. Annaleigh bowed her head slightly, giving him a small smile. “Thanks.”

“Sure.” Darren shrugged his shoulders, smiling in return.

Jasmine huffed, catching their attention. “If the two a y’all are done making goo-goo eyes at each other, and once again not doin’ anythin’ about it,” she said, looking back and forth between the two of them, an eye brow spiking, “you can call Lance about the auditions.”

“You’re just jealous because she’s always likes me better than you,” Darren drawled before pushing off the side of his truck to make his way around to the driver’s side, not without lifting his hand to push on his sister’s forehead, tilting her head back. Jasmine made a face, slapping his hand away before sticking her tongue out at him. He was partially right, though.

Annaleigh couldn’t remember a time she wasn’t smitten—as the older folks in town called it—with the oldest Dale child. It was the dimples; she had always been hopelessly attracted to guys with dimples. Hopeless was a good word to describe her love life in any sense. Darren knew she was interested, but insisted on staying friends—in his boyish way of never really talking about the subject.

“My brother is such a loser,” Jasmine complained, a smile on her face as she crossed her arms over her chest. She closed her lips, keeping the corners tilted up into a smile before poking her tongue out at her friend. “Why can’t y’all just get married already? That was sweet, even for him.”

Annaleigh let out a sigh. “What would be the point if I get this job?” she asked, stepping around her to open the passenger door as the truck shook as it roared to life. “I’d be gone for who knows how long.”

“Absence makes the heart grow fonder,” Jasmine reminded her in a sing song voice, tilting her head from side to side. Truer words had never been spoken.

Often times, while she out was having fun and hanging out with friends, she did wonder what Lance was doing at the time. Was he getting ready for the show? Hanging out in the dressing room with JC, Justin, Chris, and Joey? On stage showing off his talent to the world? While she wanted to get a taste of that lifestyle, she wondered if anyone would actually miss her while she was gone. Music was a big thing with her family, maybe it could bring her parents back together…

As Annaleigh pondered the thought, Jasmine pulled the passenger seat door open and climbed inside, sliding along the bench seat until she reached the middle where she propped her feet up on the dashboard. She reached for the music system and twisted the volume knob to turn up the Christmas music the radio stations insisted on playing until the New Year.

“To the fire tower, Jeeves,” Jasmine commanded, pointing a finger out the front windshield.

“As you wish, madam,” Darren replied, his words dripping with sarcasm. Annaleigh climbed into the truck, slamming the door shut behind her.

 “I’ll call Lance on the way,” she said as she reached for her seat belt. She propped her feet up on the dashboard as well. “Lucky duck. He’s sitting in paradise while we’re here in the middle of another snow fall.”

“But, there’s nothing more pretty than Clinton at winter time,” Darren replied.

As he shifted his truck into drive, and pulled out of the gravel parking lot, Annaleigh couldn’t help but agree with him. Summer, spring, winter, fall, Clinton always had a beautiful sight to offer. She was sure there were plenty more beautiful places out there, and wanted to see them all someday.

Maybe that day was coming sooner than she expected.

End Notes:

 

As mentioned in the story notes, this is a re-write to my previous try at this idea, "House of Cards." I hope you enjoy this version of the story.

Thanks so much to creativechaos for reading over what I had at times and helping me through my worries of this version.

Song mentioned: Awake and Alive by Skillet

Cards Against Humanity (II) by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
NSYNC is looking for a new bass player and the boys put forth their best choices.

~2~

Honolulu, Hawaii

“Here’s to Troy Antunes, the best bass-hole around.”

“Nice one, Joe.”

Lance Bass lifted his shot glass of beer—Root Beer for those underage like himself—into the air, his deep “hear hear” mixing in with those of everyone around him before he tossed his head back, swallowing the carbonated drink in a single swallow. A spike of energy rushed through him, amping him up even more than his nerves of excitement already had him. “The last show of tour, T-Roy, how do you feel?” He set his glass down onto the table and wiped his mouth on the back of his arm.

“It’s been a blast, and I’m going to miss you guys,” Troy replied after he swallowed his mouthful of beer. His face scrunched up for a brief moment before he shook his head, letting out a breath of air. “This was fun, but my wife and my family needs me.” He reached out an arm and wrapped it around the African American man standing next to him. “It’s been great performing with my old man, but I gotta split.”

“That’s my boy,” Kevin said with a chuckle as he ruffled his son’s head. “Taking after his old man.” Troy rolled his eyes before pushing his dad away from him.

 “Emphasis on the old,” Troy replied and a loud “Ohhhh!” hit the air.

As his laughter faded, Lance looked around the concrete room as Justin Timberlake jogged in place, over at JC Chasez who started running through scales, at Chris Kirkpatrick who was miming through their dance steps, and then over at Joey Fatone who was talking to a girl who had managed to get the chance to come backstage to meet them.

He remembered when they first started out, they were so young, so naïve, and so excited about everything around them, they had no idea that they should be worried about the money they should be making. Not until it was almost too late, anyway. Now they were seventeen (Justin), nineteen (Lance), twenty (Joey), twenty-one (JC), and twenty-six (Chris). Even at those ages they were still young, naïve, and excited about things to come. Now they were losing one member of their family.

“Come on, ring!” Lance said, lifting his cell phone out of his pocket, practically screaming at it, much like he had the past few times he checked his phone.

“Relax, Lance,” Chris said as he stopped what he was doing before making his way over to his friend, dropping into the seat beside him. “I swear, that thing would shit a data brick if it actually had feelings.”

“You’re lovely as usual, Chris,” Lance said with a brief roll of his eyes before turning his head towards the oldest *NSYNC member. 

“Aren’t I, though?” Chris asked with a bright smile and Lance rolled his eyes a second time. Chris punched him on the shoulder and Lance tightened his grip on his phone as to not drop it. “So, you’ve been sitting over here waiting for your phone to ring for the past thirty minutes, when normally, you’re the first to get a hacky in.” A suggestive grin came across Chris’s face and he wiggled his eyebrows. “Waiting for a hot call or something?”

“Or something.” Lance briefly made a face when Chris punched him on the shoulder a second time before he started laughing. “I’m waiting for a call from my mom, that’s all,” Lance replied.

“You’re lying,” Chris said, still laughing. “Unless you’re even more Southern than I thought.” Lance made a clicking sound with his tongue but didn’t say anything. He had learned quickly the best way to get Chris to shut up was to not give him your attention, not matter what came out of his mouth. And a lot came out of his mouth. “I’m kidding. Unless it’s some kinky thing you’re into then…”

No. He definitely had to speak up now. Or let his fist do the talking. “Just stop talking,” Lance said in a monotone. “I am waiting for my mom to call, Chris, and my friend, Ace. I told her to call me back after Melanie left a voice message for her.”

“There we go,” Chris said, nodding his head. “Now was that so hard?”

He looked up as Joey walked over with a blushing blonde next to him. She was wearing a homemade *NSYNC t-shirt and really tight jeans. She adjusted her purse on her shoulder, knocking the large hoop earring that hung off her earlobe as she gave them a bright smile. She was a looker, and she was sure as hell Joey didn’t even have to give her half a glance before he was interested.

“Chris, Lance, this is Elizabeth,” Joey said, motioning towards the girl.

“Hi,” Lane said as he got to his feet, sliding his phone into his pocket. He slid his hand into hers and shook her hand. “It’s nice to meet you.”

Very nice to meet you,” Chris said, jumping to his feet to offer Elizabeth his hand. Lance caught Joey’s eye and the two of them hid the smiles that tried to work its way onto their faces. “I’m Chris.”

“Hi,” Elizabeth said, shaking Chris’s hand before turning towards Lance. “So, you’re from Mississippi. So am I?” She said it as more of a question than a statement as if testing the waters of conversation to rope him in.

“Really?” Lance asked her, blinking in surprise. “Where from?”

“Biloxi,” Elizabeth replied, adjusting her purse a second time. “I’ve been to all of your shows there.” She lifted a hand to brush some of her hair behind her ear. “It’s so great to know that someone from Mississippi can go on and do something this amazing. You, uh, never really hear about people being from there.”

“I know what you mean,” Lance replied, giving her a polite smile. He watched as she messed with her hair a second time and let out a sigh through his nose.

She was flirting, that much was obvious to him. It was rare to have any girl that came back stage to not flirt with any of them. That was one of the top four reactions whenever fans got the chance to go back stage, it edged out screaming, crying, and fainting.

The two of them continued to talk about life in Mississippi, or rather she did more talking than he did. Nervous talking. At a couple of times during their—arguably one-sided—conversation, he just found himself nodding his head and adding an “Mhm”, “Uh-huh”, and “Yeah” every now and then to make it seem like he was still listening.

It wasn’t that he wasn’t interested in talking about his life in Mississippi, he loved talking to anybody that would listen about how great Mississippi was, but it was obvious to him when people tried to talk to him about it just as a way to find an “in” with him. No one needed to try that hard. He was like an open book. Almost.

He wasn’t even sure when Joey and Chris had left the conversation, not that he could blame them, but suddenly, Elizabeth was rummaging around in her purse before pulling out an empty gum wrapper and a pen, quickly scribbling down on it.

“I’m really looking forward to your concert tonight,” Elizabeth said, holding the gum wrapper out towards her. “I’d…I don’t know…love to talk about it with you…maybe over ice cream one night?” She winked at him. “Give me a call.”

“Thanks,” Lance replied, taking the gum wrapper. He gave her a smile slowly nodding his head. Elizabeth gave him a small wave before waving at someone over his shoulder before making her way back out of the room. Joey pounced on him the second the edge of her skirt disappeared out the door.

“So are you going to call her?” Joey asked, rapidly raising and lowering his eyebrows as Lance turned to face him.

“I don’t know,” Lance replied with a sigh, patting his pocket, feeling the outline of his phone. “I don’t think I’m going to.”

He already had his mind made up. He wasn’t going to call her. Not that he didn’t think she didn’t have a lovely personality, and it wasn’t that he didn’t think she was good looking, but because he didn’t know if she liked him just because he was in *NSYNC. He loved meeting his fans, and it warmed his heart to know how his music changed their lives but it was always hard for any of them to know if the fans were being truthful to them and wanted to get to know them, or to get bragging rights about…whatever it was they could look to brag about.

“Why not? She’s hot!” Chris said as if that solved everything. For him and Joey, it might as well have been.

Lance did enjoy being around his friends, his brothers, but sometimes he wondered how much longer he could put up with their openness about the opposite sex. His mom had done her job well in teaching her how to be a gentleman. That’s not to say those two couldn’t put on the charm and sweep a girl off her feet.

 “You’re both from the same state so you have something to talk about. Match made in heaven, I’d say.”

“I’m with him,” Joey said, jerking his thumb in Chris’s direction who nodded enthusiastically.

“Just not interested,” Lance replied with a shrug of his shoulders.

Chris paused, a confused, yet playful expression on his face. “What are you gay? You like guys or something?” he asked.

Lance stared at Chris, eyes widening, jaw dropping slightly. His armpits flooded with sweat and a rush of heat suddenly washed over his body. He opened and closed his mouth a few times. “No!” he finally managed to get out. “Dude!”

“Just asking,” Chris said before he got to his feet, clapping Lance on the shoulder. “I’d jump on the chance to call her. Might’ve been a good time.”

“Yeah, if you want to take her to the McDonald’s Play Place, Pineapple-Head,” Lance quickly cracked and Joey let out a loud laugh, clapping his hands together. “She’s, like, waaay younger than you.”

“He sure told you, Old Man,” Joey said, punching Chris on the shoulder.

“Yeah, yeah,” Chris said getting to his feet, giving Lance the finger. “Probably a good thing anyway, Ronald McDonald might be there.” He indicated Joey who’s hair was dyed a bright red. He stuck his tongue out at Joey. “I’m going to get C and Justin and start a hacky.”

“Don’t worry about him,” Joey said, his laughter subsiding as he crossed one leg over the other, crossing his arms over his chest. “There’s nothing wrong with people who are gay.”

“I’m not gay, Joey,” Lance said to him.

“I know, I’m just saying,” Joey replied with a shrug of his shoulders. He then uncrossed his arms and legs, leaning forward to rest his arms on his knees. “So, are you waiting for a call from Firecracker?”

“Who’s Firecracker?” Lance asked, his nose wrinkling.

“Your friend…Anna, or something like that,” Joey replied, waving his hand in the air.

“Annaleigh?” Lance asked, moving to take Chris’s empty seat and Joey put a finger to his nose. Lance laughed lightly. “You nicknamed her Firecracker? I didn’t know that.” He then gave Joey a look. “And you saw her the last time we played a show in Mississippi, how’d you forget her name?”

“Do you know how many girls I see a night?” Joey asked, hiking an eyebrow, giving a toothy grin. Lance rolled his eyes, but nodded his head. A lot. They saw a lot of girls each night.

“And yet you always remember Kelly’s name,” Lance replied.

“That’s different,” Joey insisted, his voice cracking.

Lance rolled his eyes—he was doing that a lot—shaking his head. “So, why do you call her Firecracker?” he asked.

Joey shrugged again. “She’s the only person I know that can deal with Chris’s bullshit and barely bat an eyelash, not to mention she’s the only one who’ll actually talk back to JC when he tries to go all parental on her. Remember our showcase?” Lance bobbed his head from side to side, a hint of a smile coming to his face and Joey hit his knee.

 JC was making it a point to keep an eye on her throughout the night. She put a quick stop to that after starting that she knew how to take care of herself. Lance couldn’t deny that, he was always by her side whether they went running barefoot down the road to the lake, to the creek to go fishing, or to go off-road riding. She definitely knew how to take care of herself. Not that he could blame JC for doing what he did, Orlando was a whole new world.

“It was either that or Tinkerbell, her face gets so red. But, she’d just as soon punch me if I called her that.”

“That’s true,” Lance agreed. “But, if I remember correctly, she only got mad at you because you dropped her after insisting you could dip her when y’all were dancing.” Joey winced at the memory. If the music hadn’t been bouncing from wall to wall, Lance was sure they would’ve gotten a glimpse of just how angry a Southern girl could be.

“That wasn’t my finest moment,” Joey agreed, stroking at the stubble on his chin. “That’s not important. What’s important is that f she’s as good a bass player as you say she is, then she’ll have problem getting in the band.” A devilish grin then came to his face. “Besides, we could use a girl around here. Something new to look at.” Lance scoffed, his eyebrows shooting up as he looked over at his best friend. “What?”

“Kelly?” Lance asked and Joey briefly looked at the ceiling.

“She knows I look but I don’t act on anything,” Joey replied, twisting his mouth to the side. A serious look then crossed his face. “Besides, she’d kill me if I did. You and I both know that.”

“Yeah, that’s true,” Lance agreed with a nod of his head.

He had met Kelly a handful of times and he could see that she and Joey were perfect together. It was pretty normal for them to break up and get back together. It normally occurred around the time of the start and end of their touring schedules. Not that it was too surprising; it was hard to keep up with friendships while they were on tour let alone relationships.

“I’m going to join them,” Joey said, angling his head in his friends’ direction.

“I’ll be there in a little bit,” Lance replied. Joey clapped him on the back before getting to his feet to join the circle JC, Justin, and Chris had made to join in on their game of hacky sack.

It had become a tradition for the five of them to get a good round of hacky in before a show; everyone had to touch the ball at least one. Some days they were good and got it done pretty quickly, and other days it took a while to get a groove going, making them late to starting a show. They never set foot on stage before getting a hacky in.

Maybe it calmed their nerves or gave them a sense of connection before taking the stage together, Lance wasn’t too sure. He used to think it determined how the show was going to turn out, but that was hard to guess. Either they were on their game or they weren’t, it was as simple as that.

Lance watched as his friends contorted their bodies to keep the small bean bag-like ball in the air without touching it with their hands. It was probably better off that he wasn’t joining at this time, he wasn’t the best when it came to playing a game of hacky sack. It was any wonder people considered him a good dancer. Most times he felt like he had two left feet.

Hell, if it wasn’t for his lack of dancing ability, *NSYNC probably wouldn’t be where they are now. When they had first been signed to a record label overseas, they wanted to drop him because of his less than stellar experience in dancing. His friends had stuck by him and fought hard to keep him in the group, staying hours after rehearsals to help him work up his dance moves as best as he could. He couldn’t ask for better friends.

They really did feel like a family to him, and not just JC, Justin, Chris, and Joey, but their manager Johnny, and their choreographers, and their stage crew, wardrobe, their live band, everybody had an important part to creating the amazing shows they put on, and Lance knew he wouldn’t be anywhere without them. So to lose a member of that family was a little hard to wrap his head around, but to potentially have an old friend join that family excited him.

Their manager, Johnny Wright, their A&R (which stands for Artist and Repertoire—whose job it was to scout for new talent) director, Melanie Rains, and Troy had all come to them about a week prior to explain the situation and that they were going to be holding a search for a new bass player. “Is everything ok?”, “It wasn’t us was it?”, and “Are you sure?” were the first questions out of their mouths.

“Everything’s fine, I just need to be with my family right now,” Troy had reassured them, giving them his usual half smile and a punch on the shoulder for added measure. Punching was his way to show affection, excitement, and happiness. It took a while to get used to, but then it came to be a normal routine. Troy had been there for every appearance basically since the beginning. “But, I wasn’t going to leave you all hanging, so I wanted to let you know in enough time for you to hold auditions.”

“We’re looking to have auditions at the first couple weeks of January,” Johnny had commented. He had reached up to tug on the brim of his cap, sending warning sirens blaring in Lance’s mind. He only really did that when he had news that the boys could consider bad or upsetting. “Unfortunately, that means you won’t have as much time at home before getting back to work, if any at all before really getting back to work. We’re going to be sending out a casting call of sorts to get interest in musicians around the states.”

“We also thought it’d be a good idea to personally invite a few people that you may know who play the bass to give them a shot to audition,” Melanie added, looking over the clipboard tucked into her arm. If she didn’t constantly have a stack of papers with her, she had her permanently pressed to her ear. “That way they wouldn’t really be jumping into something without having anyone there to show them the ropes or back them up. So—“ She removed the pen that sat behind her ear, clicked it against her cheek, and held it up to her clipboard, “Any names? I need numbers and addresses too as I’ll be making the calls early next week.”

As soon as he heard that Melanie had gone through the list of people to personally invite, he had sent out a call of his own…and now he was waiting for his friend to call him back.

Lance reached into his pocket for his phone and pulled it out of his pocket, staring down at the face plate. “Come on, ring,” he whispered. “Ring.” He jumped when a second later, his phone actually started to vibrate in his hands. He quickly flipped his phone open and then put it to his ear. “Hello?”

“Hey. I’m not interruptin’ anythin’, am I?” Lance smiled as his friend’s heavily accented voice filled his ear.

Over the time he spent traveling, his accent had all but disappeared from his voice. The boys used to tease him, and Justin for that matter, about how Southern they sounded, but now they’d really only hear it if he got mad enough, or with his “Is.” At one point, it had become a bit of a game for the boys to see if they could annoy him enough to get him to snap. But whenever he heard it, it made him feel like he was home and anyone and everyone was giving him the warmest welcome.

“Hi, Ace,” Lance replied, sitting up in his seat. “No, you weren’t. We still have to get a hacky in before we start.” Hearing a loud shout, he looked up to see a light swinging back and forth. “Which might be a bit more dangerous than usual. I was waiting for you and mom to call. So you heard the news? I left a message with mom to tell you just in case.” He then blinked and removed his phone from his ear, glancing at the time display. “Shouldn’t you be at work?”

“Knowing y’all, danger or trouble isn’t too far off, I just heard the voice mail, your mom called me, and I got off work early,” Annaleigh answered his questions in order. “Dare, Jazz, and I are headed to the fire tower. You’re on speaker by the way.”

“Hi, Lance.”

“Hey.”

“Hey, guys,” Lance said, his smile widening as he heard his friends’ voices. “Oh yeah, the New Year’s party at the fire tower. Hope y’all have fun.”

“Well, it won’t be the same without you harmonizing with Reba and Garth Brooks,” Annaleigh replied. Lance could practically see the teasing smile on her face.

“Never going to live that one down, huh?” he asked, laughing lightly.

He could hear Christmas music playing in the background and a hint of sadness hit his stomach. He loved being out on tour, sharing his music with his fans, but there was no place like being home for the holidays. He had about two weeks off to be home, but before he knew it he was back out on the road again.

 “So, is this audition thing real?” Jasmine asked, her voice coming in louder over the phone. “We were wonderin’ and tellin’ Ace she should at least give it a shot.”

“Yeah, Troy’s leaving after tonight for family reasons, so we’re holding auditions,” Lance said, running a hand over his face. “We’re asking people we know personally to audition as well as to hold auditions from people around the US so…”

“We’re tryin’ to get her to do it,” Darren called, his voice getting picked up over the phone.”But she doesn’t think now’s the right time.”

“I just don’t want to leave dad by himself, and I’d be gone for a long time, and I’d have to at least give two weeks notice for Alan and his family at the diner to find someone to replace me, and I have to figure out what I’ll do for school, and—“

“See if your dad wants to stay with my parents,” Lance offered, interrupting Annaleigh. “You know they’d be happy to have him, or to at least check up on him every now and then.”

“Nah, you know how my dad is about this kind of stuff,” Annaleigh said with a sigh. “He knows when to offer and accept help, but it’ll take a while for him to not be so proud.”

“Hmm, you mean like someone else I know?” Lance asked, feeling his eyebrows twitch. If there was anyone he knew that was proud, it was her; like father, like daughter in this regard. Not that he could blame either of them too much. They were just too used to doing things for themselves. They would both do everything they could before admitting that they needed or wanted anyone’s help. “It’s a once in a lifetime chance, Anna.”

“He called you, Anna, you know he’s serious,” Jasmine pointed out. Lance could hear Annaleigh’s huff on the line followed by a dull thunk and Jasmine’s screech of “Ow!”

“That’s what I was saying,” Darren said, ignoring his sister and friend to talk to Lance. “It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

“And who was it that begged and begged and begged her parents to let them come to Orlando with me the first time?” Lance added.

“Now y’all are gaining up on me and that ain’t fair,” Annaleigh said with a hint of a whine to her tone.

“At least give it a shot,” Lance said, raking his fingers through his hair. “I wouldn’t have brought up your name if I didn’t think you could do it.”

He remembered being in that position just a few years before. He was excited to audition for *NSYNC, but at the same time he had doubts about how good of a singer he really was. Stuff like this didn’t happen to people in Mississippi and he never once thought that his vocal coach, Bob Westbrook, would be a connection into the entertainment industry. Nor did he think he’d be a connection into the music group that *NSYNC was.

When he auditioned, he originally thought, and hoped, it would just be an A Capella group because he knew his dancing wouldn’t be up to par, but Annaleigh had worked out a dance combination for him and practiced it with him over and over again until he thought it was the best he could get it. He was sure his singing had saved him. Only in this case, it was either you were a good bass player or you weren’t and Annaleigh had a lot she was laying on the line.

“I know you can do it, you’ve been playing for a while, now,” Lance said, moving his phone from one ear to the other. “And I’ll be there, too. I don’t know how our input will work out for people we know, but Johnny will make sure everyone has a fair shot.”

“I’ll think about it and talk ta my dad, too,” Annaleigh said with a sigh. “We just didn’t know if we were going to believe the message or not.”

“Melanie is a really no-nonsense kind of person with her job,” Lance replied, nodding his head. Even he had doubted the fact that someone like Justin Timberlake had been looking for him for his music act. Despite his doubts, Lance knew that he was born to perform and that traveling the world doing what he loved. “Actually, she can be a bit scary, but that’s just because she wants everyone to be successful.”

“Yeah.” Annaleigh let out another sigh. “Well, we’re going to let you go. We don’t want to delay the show any longer. Happy New Year and have a good show.”  Darren and Jasmine copied her sentiments.

“Thanks, guys,” Lance said with a smile. “Happy New Year to y’all, too and eat a s’more for me at the party. If Ace doesn’t eat all the chocolate anyway.”

“Ha. Ha. Bye, Lance.”

“Bye.

“Have a good show.”

“Bye,” Lance replied before hanging up his phone. He set it down on the chair and made his way over towards his band mates. They opened the circle and Lance quickly brought up his knee to hit the hacky sack that flew towards him, sending it back towards JC.

“Finally got a call from her?” Justin asked, his eyes on the hacky sack. His head bounced around as he watched the hacky sack go flying through the air, waiting for his turn. He ran his hands over his short curls. “We going to be seeing her? Is she going to audition?”

“She’s going to be thinking about it,” Lance said, clapping his hands together as he waited for his turn. “It’s not easy for her to just drop everything to audition right now. But, I hope this works out for her.”

“Hey, man, you know Johnny’s been seeing a lot of great talent out there,” JC said, scratching the side of his nose with his thumb. Lance nodded his head, shifting his gaze over to his friend.

Whenever JC talked, Lance listened. Everybody described him as being the most serious one in the group, and in a way, a father-figure to them. He made sure they were where they needed  to be at a specific time…despite him being the one that was always asleep the longest. It was his role in the group and one they needed; otherwise they’d be running around like a bunch of kids. Not that it wasn’t how they acted a lot of the time anyway.

JC paused to swing his arm forward, locking his elbow, knocking the hacky sack towards Joey’s chest. “I know you two are very close,” he continued, “but I don’t want you, either of you, to get your hopes up way too high thinking she’ll automatically get in, understand?”

“Yeah,” Lance replied. “I know. Thanks, C.”

“Anytime,” JC replied.

Joey kicked his foot up into the air, passing the hacky sack over to Lance, who accepted the pass with his knee, finishing the circle. Justin cheered, punching the air with his fists before quickly slapping his friends on the back. They had gotten a successful hacky in. Lance smiled, knowing they were going to have a good show and maybe this time the successful completion meant good things for his friend, too.

It would if he had anything to say about it.

End Notes:
Thanks to everyone who checked out my story so far. Please leave a review of what you think. What I could work more on. If there was anything confusing. I take constructive criticism well. :)
Small Town to O-Town by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
With the help of her friends, Annaleigh convinces her dad to let her go to Orlando.

~3~

January 3rd, 2000

Clinton, Mississippi

“I’m surprised at you.”

“Why’s that, daddy?” Annaleigh asked, lowering the size of the flames that licked the bottom of the skillet she was currently cooking with. She turned towards the island, where her father was perched on a stool, nursing a cup of tea.

“If my memory serves me correctly, the first opportunity you had to further your music career, you drove your mother and me nuttier than a fruit cake talkin’ ‘bout it all the time,” he replied, hiking an eyebrow before crossing his eyes, sticking out his tongue. Annaleigh rolled her eyes and he chuckled. “How was school today?”

“Good. They made us play kickball outside in the snow during PE today,” Annaleigh replied, her upper lip curling slightly into a smirk. “Isn’t it against the law to force kids outside in the snow?”

“Not as long as the wind chill is still above 10 below zero,” Ryan replied with a snort before lifting the cup to his lips, taking a long sip. He let out an “Ahhhh” before licking the left over beverage from his lips.

“I already said I wasn’t just going to leave to audition for something I might not even get, dad,” Annaleigh replied with a sigh. “Especially when I haven’t been playing the bass for too long.”

“Yes, but you’ve improved a lot due to your involvement with playing for Youth Group’s band and the church band,” Ryan pointed out to her. “I’m not surprised you’ve been suggested for the spot. You know Lance would do anything he could, even thousands of miles away, to look out for you and your interests. Your mom would be very proud.”

“Mmhmm,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head.

She didn’t know whether or not to really believe that. She used to be quick to accept and be suckered into believing anything anybody would tell her about her mom. It was hard to believe anything said about her when she wasn’t around to confirm or deny those sentiments herself. Not to mention Annaleigh hadn’t gone a return call about the news…

“You know she would, Sweet Pea,” Ryan replied with a hint of a hard edge to his tone. He sighed, his facial features softening just slightly. “Just because she’s not around anymore doesn’t mean she doesn’t love you anymore.”

What about you? Annaleigh thought, feeling her eyebrows twitch. Does that mean she doesn’t love you, anymore? She didn’t ask the question out loud, but she wondered if that were the case. He sure was still in love with her mom, Annaleigh could tell. He had taken a few pictures of her down, maybe four or five, but some were still hanging up.

Whether it was too hard for him to do so emotionally she could only assume. Anytime she asked about it, he changed the subject as quickly as he could. He was getting better at mastering the art of segueing from one topic to another faster than you could blink.

But to really answer his statement, she hadn’t brought the audition thing up a lot was because she didn’t want to get her hopes up. The more she thought about it, and the more her friends bugged her about it, the more she allowed herself to play the “What if” game?

What if she nailed the audition and got the job? What if she left everyone and everything back at home and it wasn’t as glamorous as she thought it’d be? What if she had the time of her life and never wanted to come home? What if she ended up leaving and everything at home went to “you-know-where in a hand basket?” What if the audition went well, she got the job, and the influx in finances helped everything at home?

What if, what if, what if.

That was too many unanswered questions. She preferred to know how things would turn out, or at least know potential outcomes, before she agreed to do anything. She didn’t use to be that way; a lot about her had changed about them since her mom left. He had become more overprotective and proud and she had become more responsible.

He wanted to know where she would be at every moment during the day and have an estimate on when she would be home, to be sure he’d be waiting up for her. He used to just give her a kiss on her way out the door and greet her whenever she got home from a long day of fishing, swimming in the creek, or off road riding.

The days where she would get up at the crack of dawn and be out all day playing and hanging out with friends until late had been traded for late nights at work; pulling double shifts whenever needed. In her opinion, it was always needed. While her dad was getting paid leave until his ankle healed, Annaleigh knew she should take any and all sources of income as she could find, whether or not he agreed with it. He was too proud to accept help that had been offered towards them, and he had nearly talked her ear off when she had brought up the idea of working at the diner, but she could be just as headstrong as her dad.

“I’ve just been thinking…it wouldn’t hurt to give it a shot,” Annaleigh replied, turning back towards the stove. She lifted the tongs that sat on the top of the stove and clicked them twice before prodding the sizzling food in the pan. “Kale chips are almost done.”

“We’ve been through this before, Sweet Pea,” Ryan replied with a sigh, briefly closing his eyes, setting his cup down onto the table. “I don’t think—“

“Then what was the point of bringin’ up the gosh darn subject if y’ain’t going to hear me out?” Annaleigh interrupted him, turning back around to face him. Ryan’s eyebrows lifted before angling together just slightly. Annaleigh let out a huff of air, blinking rapidly. “Sorry.”

“Annaleigh, you know I don’t think this is the best career move for you,” Ryan said. He slowly shook his head from side to side. She couldn’t really blame him for trying to steer her away from the music business. He had tried his luck in music in his past, having some success. That was all she really knew about it as he never went into detail about it.

He was the reason why she had gotten into music in the first place. He had taught her how to play the guitar as a kid, but she quickly opted to learn how to play the piano instead. He sat through constant banging, jumbles of notes, cries of frustrations and numerous headaches to help her progress with the new instrument. It was during Youth Group when she had been introduced to the bass.

 

The church’ usual bass player had been out sick and they needed a replacement quickly. She had volunteered, having previously had experience on the guitar, and from that moment on, she had been hooked to the instrument. Her dad was proud, believing she was to follow in his footsteps…on his terms anyway.

Ryan was a handsome man and very talented. After his time in the music business, he had changed his profession to working at a construction company and running Youth Group at the local church. Recently, he had picked up teaching Religious Studies at the University of Mississippi whenever the department needed him to fill in. After breaking his ankle, the only thing keeping them afloat was his secretarial job at the construction company, and Annaleigh’s job at the diner.

If there was anyone who understood turning their life around, for the better in his opinion, it was him. He decided music wasn’t something he wanted, or could, continue when his whirlwind romance with his wife, Caroline, had resulted in Annaleigh.

“There are too many temptations out there, and it’s a hard lifestyle to live. An’ you’re at such an impressionable age; it’d be a lot of pressure. Everyone will be watchin’ your every move. You wouldn’ be allowed to have a bad day.”

“I know, dad, but it’s not like we couldn’ use the money,” Annaleigh replied. Ryan sighed, resting his cheek in his hand.

“You shouldn’ have to worry about that you know,” he said to her before lifting his hand to pinch the bridge of his nose. He then leaned back in his chair, running his hands over his face. “I shouldn’t have to make you worry about all of this. Your mom and I can handle this.”

“You mean you can handle this,” Annaleigh replied, fighting the urge to roll her eyes. It’s not like she has a say in anything around here. She was the one that decided to leave.

“Exactly, so you don’t have to worry about it,” Ryan replied.

Annaleigh let out a huff. “I’m just tryin’ ta help,” she said quietly.

“I understand that, sweetie,” Ryan replied before he sucked in a deep breath of air through his nose. “Believe me, I do and I’m incredibly proud of ya, Sweet Pea. But, ya need to remember that yer job is ta have fun and get in trouble.”

“Trouble? Me?” Annaleigh asked, turning back around to face her dad, widening her eyes in innocence. She put a hand over her heart. “Have I ever done that?”

“What ‘bout the time ya got me stuck up in the tree with the hornet’s nest?” Jasmine asked as she stepped into the kitchen. She removed her purse from her arm and set it down onto the peg on the chair nearest her.

I got you stuck in the hornet’s nest?” Annaleigh asked, turning off the flames.

“If you weren’t too busy tryin’ ta impress my brother, and prove that girls can do anythin’ boys can, I wouldn’ have had to go up the tree,” Jasmine replied, putting her hands on her hips.

“That was my way of flirting,” Annaleigh replied with a roll of her eyes as Darren stepped into the kitchen behind his sister. He lifted an eyebrow. “Pathetically, I might add.”

“You got my attention in any sense,” Darren replied with a shrug of his shoulders. He moved to stand beside her and grasped the crisped edge of the chunk of kale in the pan, popping it into his mouth. “No one could miss the terrified screamin’ and cryin’.” The kale crunched between his teeth and he licked his lips before smiling. “That’s good. Afternoon, Mister Ryan.”

“Afternoon,” Ryan replied with a nod of his head. “Would you like some tea?”

“I thank ya, kindly, sir,” Jasmine replied with a bright smile. She then put her hands up defensively as he moved to get to his feet. “No, no. Jus’ sit, I’ll get it.” Ryan hovered over his chair for a moment before slowly lowering himself back into his seat.

“And what about the time we got caught gamblin’?” Darren asked.

“You lost your marbles fair and square,” Annaleigh shot back after letting out a loud “Ha!”, tilting her head back. She then gave him a sweet smile. “On both accounts. ‘Sides, you were the one who went runnin’ to your daddy ‘bout losin’ your cat’s eye marble. You’re not getting that back, by the way.”

Annaleigh slapped at Darren’s hand as he reached for more kale chips, dropping them into his hand. She transferred the kale chips onto a plate with the spatula sitting on the side of the stove. “Not that I’m not happy to see y’all, but what are y’all doin’ here?” she asked, joining them at the table.

“Comin’ to try and convince me to let ya go to Orlando,” Ryan replied with an amused smile. “Only this time in person.”

“Sorry,” Darren said with a sheepish smile.

“I’m not,” Jasmine chirped. Ryan merely blinked, settling back in his chair before lifting his chin just slightly, indicating for her to go on.” I know you’ve been through this before yourself, so ya know all ‘bout what goes on durin’ a tour and have reservations ‘bout what could happen, right?”

“Right,” Ryan replied with a nod of his head.

“Did your parents approve of you goin’ out on the road?” Jasmine asked. Ryan stared at her for a moment before his eyebrows lifted. He scratched the side of his jaw, his lips betraying him as they twitched upwards into the tiniest of smiles.

“Do go on! Gammaw and Gampaw?” Annaleigh asked with a snort. “Not likely. They were farmers and all ‘bout hard work.”

“Not like I wasn’ doin’ any of that with my music,” Ryan muttered before he let out a sigh. “But, no, they weren’ too happy that I wanted ta leave home for my music. They couldn’ deny I was talented, though.” He lifted his hand and mussed Annaleigh’s hair. “Where do you think she got it from?”

He then gave her a pointed look. “They’re not too happy with the path in life you want to take either, Sugar.” Why am I not surprised? Annaleigh thought to herself, shifting her eyes up towards the ceiling. “They jus’ don’ want ya ‘rollin’ around with some boys while on tour’.” Annaleigh, Jasmine, and Darren burst out laughing when his falsetto reached their ears.

“Gammaw.” Annaleigh groaned, feeling her cheeks burn. She bowed her head for a moment, allowing her hair to fall over her face before she lifted her head to look at her father. She planted her hands on her hips. “I don’t go rollin’ ‘round with nobody.”

“Glad to hear it,” Ryan replied with a half smile. “And get your hands off your almost-hips.”

Annaleigh’s lips curled up into a half-smile and a half-grimace. “Almost-hops” was her grandmother’s phrase, referencing how late she had first started going through puberty. According to her, Annaleigh had started developing so late that she had actually started worrying about her. While her curves had been non-existent for a while, her “teenager with attitude” personality had shown through and planting her hands on her, almost grown, hips was a regular appearance in the Carr household.

That, and rolling her eyes.

“So, how’d you get ta go?” Darren asked, changing the subject. He frowned when he obliterated the ends of the kale chips in his hands as he curled them slightly, bringing them to his mouth.

“Lord have mercy, y’all are going detective on me,” Ryan said with a shake of his head. He paused for a moment, the muscle in his jaw twitching. He rapped his knuckles on the counter before reaching for the cup of tea. “I got to go, that’s all that matters.”

Annaleigh looked over at Jasmine who merely shrugged her shoulders. Jasmine was the best at getting answers out of everybody…mainly because they knew she’d stop her constant talking the minute they tell her what they want to hear. She had to give them credit for trying, nevertheless.

“Is there any way for you to get a copy of the contract if you were to get into the band?” Ryan asked after a moment of silence, “to have my lawyer look through things.”

“I guess I could ask Lance and—wait!” Annaleigh shook her head back and forth, her brain locking onto one part of his sentence. She leaned forward, resting her arms on the kitchen table. “Why do you have a lawyer?”

Ryan chuckled. “All family’s have a lawyer, Sweet Pea,” he replied, lifting his cup of tea to his lips. He took a long sip and set the cup down onto the table. “See if you can get in touch with Lance. If there’s any way to get it faxed, I’ll have it looked over quickly.”

“Dad, it’s already close to the auditions and—“

“And if ya want me to allow you to audition for *NSYNC I’m goin’ to take as many precautions I can ta make sure you won’ get screwed over,” Ryan replied, shutting Annaleigh up instantly. She pressed her lips together. “Given their new management and everythin’ that happened with Lou Pearlman, I don’ see it happening, but you can never be too careful.”

“So…you’re going to let her audition?” Darren asked. He said each word slowly, deliberately, as if he was holding a microphone out towards Ryan, waiting to capture every sound that came out of his mouth.

“Well, don’t sound too excited, Chippendale,” Annaleigh said, slapping Darren’s arm as Jasmine let out a squeal before excitedly clapping her hands together. Annaleigh’s teeth started to chatter as a cool wave of excitement crashed over her as Darren closed an eye, making a face at the loud shout…and at her nickname for him.

It was only payback; she could only be called “Bookworm” or “Anal-Lee” for so long. It was all in teasing fun, however he chose to call her those two names more often lately the more she buckled down with homework and making sure everything at home ran smoothly. Who was she kidding, anyway? She could try and be the responsible person she had been for months, but she could only hold back her excitement for so long.

“On a couple of condition,” Ryan said loudly, over the excited chatter. “I’m goin’ with you, to make sure everythin’ checks out.” He paused for a moment, his chest swelling as he sucked in a deep breath of air through his nose. “And you have to be happy with bringin’ these two along for support. God knows they’d be drivin’ me nuts even more than they already do.” He looked over at Jasmine and Darren, pointing to the teenage girl. “Of course you’ll need your parent’s permission, and to make sure you can get out of school with no problems. I’ll check with John and Evelyn ta see that you did.”

“School doesn’ start back up for us until next week,” Jasmine said. Ryan shifted his gaze over to Darren for confirmation and he gave a nod of his head as he reached for more kale chips. Jasmine let out another squeal, clapping her hands together before doing a little dance in her seat. “We’re going to Orlandooooo.”

“Are you sure you want to bring her?” Darren asked, deadpan, jerking his thumb in his sister’s direction. Annaleigh laughed as Jasmine hit his brother on the shoulder before she got out of her seat to execute a perfect pirouette before dancing across the kitchen tiles.

“Dad, are you sure?” Annaleigh asked; the thought suddenly coming rushing to her. “What about work? Can you miss a couple days?”

“I really don’t think the company will go under just because they don’t have anyone to file papers for a couple of days,” Ryan replied with a laugh. He pushed his chair back and slowly got to his feet before reaching for his crutches. “I’ll get some sparkling cider to celebrate.”

“Please, sir, I’ll get it for you,” Darren said, jumping to his feet.

“No, that’s quite alright,” Ryan replied, curling his fingers around the grips of his crutches. “I know my way around my house well ‘nough by now.” His crutches creaked as he made his way towards the basement stairs, swinging his good leg forward, stabilizing himself with the crutches. “I’ll confirm everything tomorrow morning. You just’ make sure the McIntyre’s have enough time to look for a new employee just in case ya do get the job. And take out some glasses for me, sweetie.”

In four days? Annaleigh thought to herself as she gave a nod to his back. “Sure, daddy,” she voiced as she pushed her chair back from the table. “I never thought he’d change his mind. This’d be enough money to turn things ‘round for us. Downside—“

“You’d have to be away from your dad while he’s recovering,” Darren finished for her, nodding his head.

“And you guys,” Annaleigh added as she opened the cabinet above the sink, grasping three glasses by the inside of the glass. “I always wanted to get out of Clinton, but I never thought about what it’d be like to actually leave.”

“I think your dad’s just worried that you won’ want ta come home, I guess,” Jasmine said, stopping her dance to pull her leg up behind her, stretching her hamstring. “Your dad wasn’ too fond of working’ on a farm and he never really went home.”

So, he doesn’t want me to end up like mom, Annaleigh thought to herself, setting the glasses down onto the table. She frowned, feeling her eyebrows knitting close together. Maybe this isn’t a good idea.

“No,” Jasmine said loudly, pointing a finger in Annaleigh’s face. “No, no, no. I know what you’re thinking. Don’ go changing’ your mind, now. You’ve got your dad’s permission. We’re goin’ to Orlando. This is *NSYNC we’re talkin’ about. You didn’t talk Lance out of auditioning with his doubts, did you?”

“No,” Annaleigh mumbled with a bit of a pout.

“Then I’m not lettin’ you talk yourself out of this,” Jasmine said, looping an arm around Annaleigh’s shoulders, putting her free hand over her heart. “What kinda best friend would I be if I let that happen?”

“One that would stop talking for five minutes?” Darren asked. Jasmine stuck her tongue out at him and Darren did the same before throwing a wink in Annaleigh’s direction when she started laughing. Annaleigh felt her cheeks burn; she was sure she had gone through pink, bypassed all the reds, and now blushed a bright purple.

“Look, the point is, Orlando is filled with the four esses: Surf, Sand, Sun, and Single,” Jasmine counted off on her fingers. Annaleigh gave her a confused look before looking over at Darren who just shrugged his shoulders, waving his hand in the air as if saying, “She’s your problem now.” Jasmine wiggled her eyebrows, a grin coming to her face. “Single boys.”

Shoulda known, Annaleigh thought with a roll of her eyes. She bumped Jasmine’s hip with her own. “I’m goin’ there for work, Jazz, that’s all,” she said to her friend.

“That’s great ta hear, Sweet Pea,” Ryan said as he slowly came back up the stairs, a bottle of sparkling cider tucked tightly under the four fingers of his right hand, his thumb wrapped as tightly as he could get it around the grip. His face was a light red and he was breathing a little heavily. “Told ya I could get it.”

“I’m proud of ya, daddy,” Annaleigh replied with a smile as she moved to take the cider bottle from under Ryan’s arm as he reached back to flip off the light switch to the stairs.

Ryan kissed the top of her head, before following her back to the kitchen table. “You look more ‘n’ more like your mother every day, you know,” he said. “She’d be proud.” Annaleigh sighed, frowning when she spotted the light dimming from his eyes. He then cleared his throat. “So, how much do y’all want?”

She took a page from her dad’s book and tried changing the subject. Darren and Jasmine had both been supportive since they had found out about her mom leaving. The day she had come home from helping Darren pack and head off to University of Mississippi, all family pictures were taken down, and her mom’s belongings were already out in the front hall in boxes. Jasmine had stayed at her place for the initial couple of days, and Darren made sure to call in each day to see how she was doing.

Her dad on the other hand, tried to act like nothing happened, or he couldn’t believe it was happening. Not that she could really blame him; her mom did just up and leave. That was the ultimate betrayal and against Matthew 19:16’s scripture. When getting married, the two become one person, one force, one spiritual entity that couldn’t be split. Annaleigh remembered one picture of her parents on their wedding day. It hung in the living room, above the stereo cabinet, with her mom’s vow:

My husband and I are best friends first and foremost. We fight like cat and dogs, but never stay mad for long. I was lucky to find him. He is, in every way, my soul mate.”

A part of her couldn’t understand why her dad chose to leave the picture up, let alone decided to keep that only possession—or reminder--of her mom. It didn’t matter though. Once she got into the band, she wouldn’t have to worry about it anymore. It was just her and her dad now and she would do everything she could to make sure they were going to be ok.


January 7th, 2000

Orlando, Florida

“We have to get goin’ soon,” Annaleigh said, glancing at her watch for the umpteenth time. She chewed on her stinging bottom lip as she leaned back against the hard, plastic seat lined up with the many, now empty, seats at the Caribe Royale All-Suite Hotel outside of the Convention Center.

“Darlin’ you need to relax,” Diane Bass said with a small chuckle, setting down the newspaper in her hand. “Our flight out isn’ for a couple of days. We have plenty of time.”

At Annaleigh’s request, she had joined herself, her dad, Jasmine, and Darren on their trip to Orlando. The Bass family, as well as the Dale family, had always felt like an extension of her own family. They celebrated birthdays and holidays together and shared any good news or bad news if any was to come up. Also, it was a nice quick vacation and she had the opportunity to see her son for a short amount of time before he went off touring again.

Calm down, Ace. They’ll see you audition today

Annaleigh started tapping her foot on the ground as she brought her thumb to her mouth. She started chewing on her thumbnail, opening and closing her jaws in time with her foot. She had already paced around the room, counted the ceiling tiles twice, and popped every joint in her fingers. She was starting to run out of things to do to take up her time.

She had been personally invited to audition for *NSYNC, she never thought about how many people would be there waiting for their chance to audition as well. Not that she expected special treatment or anything, but was it too much to ask for people to get her name right? It was Annaleigh, not “Anna-Lee”, or even “Annie Lee” like the receptionist had decided to continue calling her when she was signing in.

Annaleigh couldn’t figure out what it was that made the girl seem to hate her on sight, but was quick to figure it out when she realized she was one of the only girls auditioning. And if she were to get in, she’d be around five of the hottest guys on the planet. Any and all other girl on the planet would be falling over themselves to even stand in the same room as the boy band.

“It’s Annaleigh,” Annaleigh corrected the girl as she rested her chin on the top of the case to her bass guitar. “Carr. I also go by ‘Ace’ if it’s on there.”

“And…they are?” the girl asked, shifting her eyes back and forth to everyone standing behind Annaleigh.

“Ya ever hear of moral support?” Jasmine asked in the same snooty tone. She put a hand on her hip and twirled a lock of her hair around her finger. Annaleigh laughed as Darren gently thumped his sister’s back, giving her a warning look when she widened her eyes up at him.

“Whatever.” The girl sniffed as she flipped through page after page of names before finding hers. She then picked up a highlighter and dragged it across the paper, adding to the large block of yellow sitting in front of her. She then lifted her head and hiked an eyebrow at her, slowly shifting her eyes downwards and upwards, looking. That was ok; Annaleigh could scrutinize her, too.

Blonde hair, dark roots, a tight shirt, cut very low in the front. If she had the chance to see *NSYNC that morning, she was sure to make some sort of impression…if they remembered her after all the people they’d see during the day. Annaleigh looked down at her own clothes: white overalls jeans shorts, a white and black lace sleeved shirt, black hi top shoes, and just a hint of lipstick. It was a lot of black and white, but it was a simple look, and both of those colors were used for performances.  

It was simple by Orlando standards, and definitely by Hollywood standards, but she was from a small town where your talent was more important than your outwards experience. Once people heard her accent she was sure they silently questioned where her cowboy hat and cowboy boots were. No one really wore those unless they were working on the farm or being dressed up for the fair or a barn dance. And thaws just how she liked it. Besides, most times, they pinched her feet.

“Go take a seat over there,” the girl said, waving her hand in the air, indicating after row of chairs. She then reached for the small walkie-talkie next to her. “They’ll call you when they’re ready for you.”

“I thank ya, kindly,” Annaleigh replied with a sweet smile. The girl let out a short laugh, her eyebrows shooting up. Annaleigh pushed her brown tresses out of her face as she lifted the case off the ground, leading the way into the waiting area.

“Clearly southern hospitality don’t mean nothin’ to these folks,” Annaleigh commented as she set her bass guitar down, leaning it up against an empty chair before moving to help her dad sit down.

“Shoot, and they’re even more southern than we are,” Jasmine said with a wrinkle of her nose, tossing her hair back over her shoulder. “Southern of the United States anyway, ain’t no way city folk down here—“

“Jazzy,” Darren said with a groan, running his hands over his face, “slow down the jams, ok?”

“Nah, I’d rather have her talkin’ then it bein’ silent,” Annaleigh said with a wave of her head. “Miss Diane, how was Lance before his audition?”

“Looked like he would’ve thrown up the minute they asked to see him dance,” Diane replied with a smile. She folded the newspaper in her lap before folding her hands down on top of it. She gazed towards the ceiling, lifting a hand to brush her dark brown bob back behind her ears. “He was nervous of course because they were specifically askin’ for him for his voice. They couldn’ believe how he sounded on his own; of course with a Garth Brooks song, it’d impress anyone, but when he sang with everyone else…” She trailed off for a moment. “Everyone in the room had goosebumps. I could tell then an’ there he wasn’ going to be coming home for a while.”

“Come on, I wasn’t that good.” Lance’s deep voice reached Annaleigh’s ear. A flash of red moved past her and Annaleigh turned her head to see Lance leaning over to give his mom a kiss on the cheek before handing her a rose. “Hey, mama.”

“Lance,” Diane said with a smile as she took the flower. She held it to her nose and closed her eyes, taking in a long, deep inhale, before she got to her feet, leaning over her chair to give her son a hug. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Lance replied, returning her hug. “And, Ace, one for you. Good luck today.” Annaleigh’s lips curled up into a half smile as she took the flower from him. As he turned to give Jasmine a flower, and gave Darren and Ryan some candy (to which Darren chuckled when he saw that his was a bag of mini Three Musketeers and chuckled saying, “how fitting”) before doling out hugs, Annaleigh took the time to look him over.

He looked even more lively and awake then she had seen him a couple weeks prior. Having just gotten off tour, he had gone home to spend the holidays in Clinton for a brief amount of time before finishing out the rest of the tour. Even then, most of his time was spent sleeping; on the couch, on the floor, in the car on the way to his grandparents’ house, even standing up when they went caroling. His bright blond locks were now gone, but his dark hair still had bits of gold streaked into it. His hair was a longer, but due to the spikes looked the shortest she had seen on him.

And he had just about lost his accent.

With his natural deep voice, no one would really know that he had a southern accent to begin with. There were some cases, for instance if he got mad enough, or started to spout out southern phrases, or a combination of both, where people would pick up on it. Being out of the country for so long, it wasn’t too big of a surprise that he lost his accent. It was returning home for an extended period of time and then going back to do things with the group did anyone realize he started to pick up on it again. It was the cause of a lot of jokes from Joey, Chris, and Justin despite the latter being southern himself. In most cases, you could hear it in his “Is” and “Os.”

“How’s your ankle, sir?” Lance asked, climbing over the row of seats to sit next to him, giving him a look of worry. “Not much longer on the crutches, eh?”

“Here’s hoping,” Ryan replied, clapping Lance on the shoulder before he went to open his bag of mini Hersheys. “Not much work ta be done in the winter but I gotta get back.”

“I’m sure they’ll be falling all over themselves to welcome you back the minute you step through those doors,” Lance said with a grin. Ryan let out a deep chuckle before he gave a single, short, nod of his head. He then got out of his seat and moved to sit on the floor in front of Annaleigh, reaching out his foot to tap hers. “Anyway, Ace, they would’ve called you in by now, but Joey and Chris were having a light saber battle with some microphone stands and broke them.” He rolled his eyes.

“Microphones?” Annaleigh repeated, feeling her eyes widen. “Like…singing microphones?”

“The things you talk into to amplify your voice, yes,” Lance replied, his lips parting into a small, toothy grin.

“You didn’t say anythin’ ‘bout singing at this audition,” Annaleigh replied, feeling her eyes widen.

If there was something she loved, it was singing, but if there was something she hated, it was singing in front of people she didn’t know. Actually, it was performing in front of people she didn’t know she tried to avoid at all costs. Clinton was a small town; everybody knew everybody and everybody knew everything about you and your business practically the minute it happened.

Why audition where she would have to perform in front of thousands upon thousands of people every day? For the simple fact that she’d be in the back, while everyone else would be paying attention to the five boys dancing and running around on stage. She was used to being in the back, in fact she liked being in the back; less attention on her. After all the attention she got from her mom leaving, she’d do anything to slide into the background once more.

“Relax,” Lance replied, his smile fading just slightly. “It’s only for people that want to show us their singing talents.” He waved his hand in the air before leaning forward, wrapping his arms around his legs. He looked around at the few hopefuls who were left in the room and lowered his voice. “Between you and me, you’d blow ‘em all out of the water anyhow.”

“How many people have you auditioned today, anyway?” Darren asked.

“A lot,” Lance replied, letting out a sigh. “Local people, people who flew from all over, people we’ve invited like Ace.”

“How are you auditioning them, anyway?” Jasmine asked. Annaleigh watched as Lance’s eyes widened as she started talking rapidly. “I mean, it’d give some people an advantage because they know someone in the band like Annaleigh knows you, and does the singing really give them an advantage? Hey! If Ace does get into the band, you could perform Music of My Heart live. I love that song, I think it’s actually one of my favorites apart from—“

“We’re recording auditions on video tape to make it fair,” Lane said, interrupting his friend.  “So, if it’s for anyone we know, we can’t be in the room. For example, I can’t be in there when Annaleigh auditions, which is why I’m out here. I’m also not allowed to vote on her to be in, but it’s really up to Johnny and Melanie and few other folks at Jive; they have the final word.”

Anna Lee Car?” a female voice was heard a moment after the sound of a door opening reached her ears.

“It’s Annaleigh,” Annaleigh instantly corrected the woman, her words mixing in with Lance’s deep intonation.

“I’m sorry,” the woman said, flushing bright pink, giving a small grin. “We’re ready to see you now.”

“That’s you, sweetie,” Diane said with a smile. Annaleigh sucked in a deep breath of air, grasping her guitar case as she got to her feet. A wave of heat rushed over her body and her knees started to shake. “You’ll do fine. This is a great experience for you.”

“Knock ‘em dead, girl,” Jasmine said with a bright smile, throwing her arms around her friend in a tight hug.

“You’ll be great, Ace,” Darren said, taking his turn for a hug. He then hugged Lance, his, mom, and her dad, giving him the tightest hug she could muster. She felt Ryan’s chest shake from his deep chuckle as he squeezed her back just as tight.

“I’m so incredibly proud of you, Sweet Pea,” Ryan said before he pressed his lips to the top of her head in a sweet kiss. “I know I haven’t been the most supportive of this…but, I hope you know that.”

“I know, daddy,” Annaleigh replied, smiling up at him. With a second deep breath, she took a step back from her dad, rolled back her shoulders, lifted her head just slightly and made her way into the audition room.

If she thought she was ready before, she sure as hell hoped that was true.


End Notes:

 

At long last, I finally have a new chapter up! Sorry for the wait, but thank you to those of you who have checked out this re-write so far.

Annaleigh’s outfit: http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=134606565

 

Let Her Go (I) by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Lance helps Annaleigh with her bass audition.

~4~

Lance stared up at the ceiling of the convention center, his shoulder blades pressing into the hard floor, his knuckles cold and numb as they were pressed into the rough carpet with the back of his head. He crossed one leg over the other before uncrossing it. Laying his legs side by side, he swung his feet out to the sides before swinging them together, making a tapping sound as the rubber of his shoes struck together.

He shimmied his hands out from behind his head and ran them over his face, wondering just how much time had passed, how the audition was going, and when Jasmine would give her lips a rest and stop talking. She was always one to fill in any and all silence, awkward or not, barely letting anyone get a word in edgewise. She hated the silence almost just as much as she hated drama, despite being the one to act overly dramatic most times.

But she was just nervous.

They all were.

Lance felt the butterflies tickling the insides of his stomach, trying to find a way out of his stomach, find their way as far u as his rib cage. And he wasn’t even the one auditioning. But, a lot was at stake with this audition. Just a few years ago he was in the same spot, practically shaking like an old fashioned alarm clock, the hammer striking the two bells with fervor.

“How do you think its going?”

“Jazzy, you’ve asked that four times already,” Lance said before Darren could snap at his sister much like he did the last three times she had asked. Not like a lot of time had passed between each time she asked. It was like time flew past double the speed for her. Ultimately, he wouldn’t be too surprised if that was the case.

“Maybe you should find something to distract yourself with, sweetie,” Diane said, reaching out a hand to pat Jasmine on the arm.

“Like the beach!” Jasmine said with a bright smile, clasping her hands together. She started kicking her legs back and forth. “The warm sand, the warm sun, ahhh, I can practically smell the salty air.” She then paused, wrinkling her nose. “Urghh. Maybe it won’t be so great. It won’t smell like home.”

“It’s not so bad,” Lance said, sitting up, draping his arms over his knees. “It’s better than the smog in California.” He let out a small sigh. “You’re right though; it’s nothing like home.” He then got to his feet, stretching his back. “I’m going to look around.”

“Wait up,” Darren said, getting to his feet. “I can’t take anymore of Jasmine’s constant talking.” Jasmine stuck his tongue out at her brother, curling her upper lip. Darren did the same, rolling his eyes.

“How’s your ankle, Mr. Ryan?” Lance asked, sliding his hands into his jeans pockets. “I could go find some ice for you.”

“No, no, son, I’m alright,” Ryan replied with a brief shake of his head. He had his arms crossed over his chest, staring straight ahead. “I thank ya, kindly.”

“Sure,” Lance replied with a nod of his head. “Mom?”

“I’m ok, sweetie, thank you,” Diane replied, giving her son a warm smile.

“Alright,” Lance said with a shrug of his shoulders. He lifted a hand, curling his fingers into a fist before gently punching Darren on the shoulder. “Let’s go.” The two of them walked around in silence, Lance leading the way. Having been cooped up in the audition room all day, he didn’t have any chance to stretch out or see anything else other than that audition room. “So what’s bothering you?”

Darren blinked in surprise before he let out a sigh through his nose. He stopped walking and leaned up against the wall nearest him. Lance did the same, resting his weight on his shoulder, crossing his arms over his chest. “That bad, huh?” he asked. Darren’s cheek twitched into the briefest of smiles.

“Look, I’m just gonna come straight out…Anna thinks her dad is still workin’ at the construction company a secretarial job,” Darren said in a low tone, pinching the bridge of his nose. When he removed his fingers, the white skin slowly returning to a rosy pink color as the blood rushed back under the skin.

“I’m…guessing he’s not,” Lance slowly replied, feeling his heart sink. Darren slowly shook his head back and forth and Lance made a groaning sound in the back of his throat. “Oh, no. What is it?”

“He got fired,” Darren replied and Lance’s facial features twisted into a look of pain. “The reason he busted his ankle in the first place, there was some argument or a fight or somethin’ and it set back the project they were working on thousands of dollars and days, maybe even months of work. I think he was jus’ coverin’ for a co-worker or somethin’, but…this audition is a bigger deal than Ace thinks.”

“She doesn’t know?” Lance asked before he could stop himself.

Of course she didn’t know. He knew her parents well. They tried to keep things that affected the family between the two of them, trying to figure things out before relaying the news to her. Time and time again they tried to shield her from the ugly truth and time and time again, he’d have her flying through his front door or shimmying through his bedroom window with a rant posed at the tip of her tongue.

And he was always there to listen and to give advice. Telling her to talk to her parents didn’t help that much. She was just like her parents; letting things bubble under the surface until it just imploded. She liked to say, in her anger, she wasn’t anything like her parents, or at some times that she didn’t want to be anything like her parents. He knew, however, that deep down that she liked being as independent and strong willed just like her mom, and yet laid back and fun loving like her dad. It got her into jut as much trouble as it helped her get out of it. To her best ability anyway. Clinton, Mississippi was a small town, everybody knew about you and your family. If you acted out at school and were sent to the principal’s office, your parents knew about it before you even left the administrative offices.

It only took less than half a second, from what he was told, for the whole town to know that Annaleigh’s mom had walked out on her family. He could only imagine what it was like to be a celebrity of his hometown in that light. To have people pointing and whispering trying to find out if she indeed was, “the one with the parents’ failed marriage.” He knew what that was like in a way; people pointing and whispering to see if he really was the Lance Bass. Only for him, he didn’t get pitying looks, he got screams, and shrieks, and tears.

“No,” Darren replied after a moment of silence. “Her dad told our parents—“

“Naturally,” Lance said, rubbing the pads of his fingers over his chin.

“Yeah,” Darren agreed with a short chuckle. “They’ve been offerin’ him help, but you know where Ace gets her stubbornness from.” Lane felt his lips twitch upwards into a smile for a brief moment. He could practically hear his friend’s stressing tone, practically watch Annaleigh’s nostrils flare just slightly before saying in a reprimanding tone, “It’s not being stubborn, it’s being proud.”

“Tell me the truth,” Lance said, letting out a sigh through his nose before running his hands over his face, “how much have I missed since this whole *NSYNC thing started?” A muscle in Darren’s jaw twitched.

“A lot,” he replied, the words barely slipping past the small parting of his lips. “That’s the simplest way I can put it, but I’ve been lookin’ out for her like ya asked.” He then gave Lance a pointed, mock look of annoyance. “So, I thank ya kindly for the months and months of verbal lashing I’ve been gettin’.”

“You can hold your own against her and you know it,” Lance said with a brief eye roll. And he knew his friend had found some enjoyment out of it, too.

Their arguments and name callings showcased annoyance and what they insisted was hated for each other, but he saw the way they looked at each other, how they smiled at each other. But, both of them were too stubborn to do anything about it. She thought he was out of his league for how much older he was, and he was just waiting for the perfect time to let his feelings for her be known after years of insisting that he only saw her as a little sister. It was basic kindergarten psychology: they masked their feelings by being mean and teasing each other, she was too afraid to say anything, and on his end he wanted to be there for her and provide her some stability before deciding to try and take the next step with her.

It was actually kind of sad, but Lance knew that Jasmine would do whatever she could to get them together. “They were meant’a be together” she would say over and over again. “You’ll see. It’ll happen.”

Lance could see that his friends would be perfect for each other, but it called it like he saw it; Annaleigh was a lot like her parents. And if he knew his friend well, which he did, he knew that their actions defined her own from time to time and this time, he wondered if all the parental arguments and tense atmosphere was ultimately affecting her love life or lack of one.

“Anyway, I jus’ wanted ta warn you,” Darren said, shrugging his shoulders.

“Yeah, thanks,” Lance replied, nodding his head. He sucked in a deep breath of air, his cheeks bulging as he held it before he let it out through his nose, feeling his ears pop. He reached his fingers up into his hair and gently pulled his hair until his skin stretched taut, burning just slightly. “This is even more complicated than I thought.”

“Do you think she’ll get in?” Darren asked, a serious look crossing his face. “What with her stage fright and everythin’. Be honest.”

“I don’t know,” Lance replied, slowly shaking his head back and forth. “I mean, Annaleigh knows the guys as JC, Justin, Chris, and Joey, but now they’re ‘JC, Justin, Chris, and Joey of *NSYNC’. That’s what I’ve been—“

“Hey, Lance!”

Lance craned his neck, pushing off of the wall to see Joey leaning out the door, waving a hand, beckoning him to come back into the room. “Worrying about,” he finished his sentence before he clapped Darren on the shoulder in silent thanks. Lance slid his hands into his jeans pockets, only to remove them a split second later to jog to the doors. “What’s up, Joe?”

But, Joey’s face said it all. He lifted his eyebrows before angling his head to the side, beckoning him inside. Lance followed him into the room, closing the door behind him. Annaleigh stood on the X taped onto the floor in the middle of the area they had taken up for the auditions, keeping her gaze low to the ground, missing his smile and small wave of encouragement. Her bass sat on the floor and she tightly gripped the neck with her hands. An extension cord ran from the amp to the wall, a low hum filling the air.

He gave the woman, who was ushering the auditionees in and out of the room and currently perched on a side table sitting by the door, a small smile and wave as he passed. “How’d she do?”He asked, keeping his voice low. He looked over at Johnny Wright, who sat in the center of the two long white tables. His chair sat empty next to Joey’s.

“Well…” Joey replied in the same tone of voice, his facial features twitching just slightly into a look he couldn’t decipher. “Once she got her bass connected to the amp, and took a little while to compose herself…” He trailed off and Lance gave a brief nod of his head. “It wasn’t too bad, actually. Her nerves have just gotten the best of her.”

“Yeah, man,” Chris added as Lance and Joey dropped down into their seats. “She does have talent, I’ll give you that. I can see why you suggested her.” Lance rolled his eyes at the smile on his face. He was being sincere, Lance could tell, but he didn’t miss the quick twitch of his friend’s eyebrows, indicating a waggle to show that he noticed her looks.

With her wavy brown hair, dark eyes, freckles over her nose, and the mole on her lip, she was different from all the girls they see in California. They’d describe her to be average looking in a heartbeat. In Clinton, she was suitable for beauty pageants, having won numerous titles since she was a kid, and one that the boys in town would take the time to look twice at. Whenever he or Darren weren’t around anyway. Lance did think Annaleigh was beautiful, but she simply wasn’t his type. Not in a relationship sense, anyway.

“She’s one of the better players we’ve seen today,” Justin added, spinning the pencil in his hands around his fingers. He stared straight ahead for a moment before swinging his head to look over at him, his blond curls swaying just slightly from the movement.  “And that’s kind of saying something with her stumbling through the song. It was a great song choice, though.” He smirked in Lance’s direction. “It wasn’t country.”

Lance let out a short laugh, but didn’t take the comment to heart. Lance had chosen a Garth Brooks song for his own audition and with the two of them being from the South, it was a bit of a stereotype. But, they both were avid fans of country music; something that made them to be good friends. “Very funny,” he replied. “Johnny?”

“She does have talent,” Johnny replied, leaning back in his chair. He gave a sharp tug of the brim of his trademark hat, much like he did whenever he was preparing himself to deliver bad news. “That much is true. I can see lots of ways we could spin this if she were to join. There aren’t a lot of women bass players out there. People already have their eyes on you, wondering what you’ll do next, and this could work to our advantage.”

“But?” Lance prompted.

“But, there’s going to be people that’ll say if we give her the job that she just got it because she’s your best friend, Lance, so she needs to have the talent, and the confidence, to back it up,” Johnny said, using the side of his hand to emphasize his point by hitting it on the side of the table.

“C?” Lance asked quietly, turning his gaze over towards JC, who was sitting at the far end of the table. He had the ankle to his right leg resting on his left knee cap. With his right arm crossed over his chest, his fist propping up his right elbow. His chin set between his thumb and curled forefinger, the knuckle pressing into his lips. “What do you think?”

“I don’t know,” JC responded after a long stretch of silence. He lifted his head and looked Lance in the eye. Lance felt his shoulders drop just slightly. His muscles tensed as he tried to hold his posture. They were still visible to his friend. “I’m sorry, Lance, but she’d have to be performing in front of thousands of people. If she can’t do it for us…” He bowed his head, scratching the back of his neck.

Lance let out a sigh through his nose, lifting a hand to run his fingers through his hair. “Please, just give her another chance,” he said. “You don’t understand. She needs this.”

“Excuse me?” Lance turned when he heard his friend’s quiet voice and saw that she had her hand in the air as if she were in class. She kept her gaze on Johnny. “Am I allowed to say something, sir?”

“Go right ahead,” Johnny replied, giving a small smile as he folded his hands together, setting them on top of the table.

“I know I’ve messed up, but I never really thought about how important this was ta me,” Annaleigh said, taking a small step forward. “I kept sayin’ I didn’ want to do it because I didn’ want ta leave my dad at home and I guess ‘cause I was a little scared; if this was going to work out or if it wasn’t going to work out.”

“I really need the money from this, and I’m not jus’ doing it for the money, but I’m not going ta deny that it’ll really help. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I never thought I’d ever get a second chance at bein’ able to just come out to Orlando and see how things are done. If that’s all I get ta do, then that’ll be enough for me.”

“I thank ya kindly for the opportunity as it has already, in a way, changed my life, but to get the job would be somethin’ else. Sure, this may not have been somethin’ I’ve always wanted ta do with my life, and I know it’s not all glamorous, but I don’t have anything else going on in my life that really makes me happy. I don’t know what else I want ta do with my life, or where to go with, or what makes me happy but this. Music is like a different world that I can escape to for a while. Maybe that sounds all sappy and kind of fairy tale-ish, and I might not ever be able to leave my life, nor do I really want ta do that fully, but if I can do that for other people, then it’d be worth it.”

Annaleigh let out a deep breath of air before pressing her lips together for a moment. “And…yeah,” she said. “Sorry for ramblin’, sir.” Lance couldn’t help but laugh a little as he bowed his head. He looked over at Johnny who had a thoughtful look on his face, lips pulled back into a half smile of amusement.

Southern charm could get anyone a long way in life. She could always charm just about anybody, Lance thought to himself. Heck, she could charm the fish right out of a fish bowl if she wanted, of course only to put them back in the water.

“You’re definitely something, Miss Carr,” Johnny commented. “You’re also the first person who’s printed out a resume to give to me.” He held up the piece of paper sitting in front of him before reaching for the CD in front of him.

Lance glanced over and saw a picture of Annaleigh and her father on the front. His smile got wider. Leave it to her to come prepared. “And, this is a CD you did with your father?” Johnny asked.

“Uh, yes, sir, Mr. Wright,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head.

“You can call me Johnny,” Johnny instantly corrected her, leaning out of the way as Justin shot out his hand reaching for the CD. Annaleigh gave another nod of her head before scratching the back of her head.

“I know I can do this,” she said to him, practically wringing the neck of her guitar. “If…if my dad was in here, I could. I was doing the bass line to one of his songs and—“

“Wait!” Justin said loudly, excitement filling his eyes. “Ryan Carr is your dad?” He looked up at her and Annaleigh gave him an odd look. “The Ryan Carr? Seriously?”

“Uhhh…yeah.”

Justin sat back in his chair, crossing his arms over his chest. He opened and closed his mouth a couple of times before letting out a low whistle. “I…man, I love his music. I used to listen to his albums all the time,” he said, slowly bobbing his head as if he was listening to his music right then. “Wow. His band, Oathkeeper, was amazing.”

“Normally, we don’t do this, but if it makes you feel comfortable, we could ask your friends and family into the room,” Johnny said, his eyes narrowing just slightly. “Do you think you’d be comfortable enough to sing with Lance?”

“What?” Lance asked, lifting his head, startled when he heard his name suddenly called. He looked over at Annaleigh who gave him a curious look. Lance just shrugged his shoulders, trying to figure out where his manager was going with it.

“It says on here that you’re an Alto and have participated in your church’s Christmas service numerous times, correct?” Johnny asked. “And that you’ve won numerous pageant titles with the aid of your singing.” Which was kind of ironic given that pageants were meant to build confidence and self-esteem to those who chose to participate in them. “We’ve been entertaining the idea of putting Music of My Heart onto the playbill for this upcoming tour. You’d be harmonizing not just with Lance but all five of these young men.”

“Well…I…yeah,” Annaleigh replied, bobbing her head in a series of nods. “Sure, I can. But, did you want me to….” She trailed off, motioning towards her guitar.

 

 

“Miss Carr, from what I’ve gathered you’re a dancer, you started out on the guitar, moved to the piano, then stuck with the bass,” Johnny explained. “I have no doubt in my mind that you can pick up rhythms fairly quickly. Chris, if you could go get her family and friends, please.”

 

Lance got to his feet and skirted around the table, making his way over to Annaleigh, who looked surprisingly more freaked out up close. “Don’t panic,” were the first words out of his mouth and Annaleigh’s eyes shot over to him.

“Naw, because I’m jus’ downright peachy right now,” she said, her upper lip curling far enough for the mole on her upper lip disappearing as she did so. “Is it bad that I’m in here for so long?”

“Not necessarily,” Lance replied. I hope. He let out a deep breath of air before putting his hands on his friend’s shoulders, gently shaking her. “He’s at least letting everyone in here to help calm you down. Johnny wants the bet out of you, so that’s saying something.”

“Ok, yeah, yeah, that’s a good point,” Annaleigh replied. Lance reached for her guitar and had to tug at the neck a couple of times before she relaxed her tight grip. “Good point.”

“Why are you so nervous?” Lance asked, carefully setting the guitar down onto the ground. “You’ve performed in front of people before. I mean, I know this is a big audition and—why are you shaking your head?” Annaleigh had her thumbnail in her mouth, chewing on it, eyes wide as she shook her head back and forth.

“Not like this,” she said to him and Lance gave her a confused look. “It’s not the people or the situation. I mean, yeah, it is but…I’ve never done it like this before. By myself.”

“Ohhh,” Lance said, holding out the word. Once again, that’s something you’ve missed, Lance. That brings up the total to 3 bajillion, right? Of course. He had the inkling that she wasn’t just talking about the audition but a whole lot more. At this moment in time, the only thing he could do was take her hand, and give her a warm smile. “It’ll be fine. You’re not by yourself right now, I’m right here.”

“Yeah, only one problem,” Annaleigh said, sarcasm coming to her tone. She was coming back to be her old self. “What song are we going to do? We haven’t done a lot of duets, we’re normally singin’ with Dare.”

Lance thought for a moment before snapping his fingers on his free hand, a loud pop hitting the air. “Except for one,” he said before pressing his finger to his lips. He leaned closer towards her, lowering his voice. “Remember that one Christmas service we were doing that one duet and you had run off stage in the middle because you had gotten your peri—“

Annaleigh slapped a hand over his mouth. “We both agreed that we wouldn’ talk ‘bout that ever again,” she said to him, a sweet smile suddenly plastered on her face. Hearing the creaking of Mr. Carr’s crutches, he understood why. “No talk-ie, no break-ie.”

“While I am glad you’re not going to break my arm, as you’ve threatened numerous times over the years,” Lance said with a brief roll of his eyes before giving her hand a gentle squeeze. “We never got to finish, so I think this it’s time for our encore. Sans music of course, but we had worked on it for a long time, we can do it.”

Annaleigh rolled her eyes, but nodded her head. He noticed that she was doing that a lot. That was one thing they had in common, when things got overwhelming, they retreated inside themselves. Observing, barely talking, using their body language to divert the attention from what storm was brewing on the inside, to just about anything else on the outside. He just wondered if her storm was growing into the hurricane like his own.

After the microphones were set up in the room and everyone had gotten comfortable, waiting for the two of them to start, Lance gave Annaleigh a second reassuring smile before snapping his fingers, giving her the pace of the song. He took in a breath of air, closing his eyes just slightly to calm himself before he parted his lips and started to sing.

“Dancin' in the dark, middle of the night. Takin' your heart and holdin' it tight,” Lance sang in his deep timbre. Many people had wondered with his pre-mature deep tone why he hadn’t gone into singing country music instead of going into the pop world. He was proud of the octaves he could reach because it meant he could fit in just about any genre of music. “Emotional touch, touchin' my skin and askin' you to do what you've been doin' all over again.”

Annaleigh rocked back and forth on her heels, chewing on her bottom lip, bobbing her head up and down to her internal metronome. She twisted her fingers in front of her, keeping her gaze low. Lance shifted his gaze from his friend over to his mom.

He felt his lips part into a wide smile at the look of love and pride on her face. He was sure she would only last a short amount of time before she started to cry. In a way, it was like he was auditioning for the band all over again, but how it should’ve been the first time, with his best friend by his side. “Oh, it's a beautiful thing. Don't think I can keep it all in. I just gotta let you know what it is that won't let me go.”

He looked over at Annaleigh as she joined in at the chorus, her voice mixing in perfectly with his. “It's your love, it just does somethin' to me.It sends a shock right through me, I can't get enough. And if you wonder about the spell I'm under. Oh, it's your love.”

“Better than I was, more than I am and all of this happened by takin' your hand,” Annaleigh sang the beginning of the next verse, tilting her head to the side to look at him, giving a smile. Lance couldn’t help but smile back, seeing the familiar light in her eyes she always got when she performed. “And who I am now is who I wanted to be, and now that we're together I'm stronger than ever, I'm happy and free

As the chorus came around a second time, Lance darted out his tongue to lick his lips before he joined singing her again. “Oh, it's a beautiful thing, don't think I can keep it all in. And if you asked me why I changed all I gotta do is say your sweet name. It's your love, it just does somethin' to me. It sends a shock right through me, I can't get enough. And if you wonder about the spell I'm under, oh, it's your love.”

“Oh, baby,” Annaleigh sang, closing her eyes with emotion as she put power behind the lyrics she sang.

“Oh, it's a beautiful thing, don't think I can keep it all in. I just gotta let you know that it is that won't let me go. It's your love, it just does somethin' to me, it sends a shock right through me. I can't get enough. And if you wonder about the spell I'm under, oh, it's your love. It's your love, it's your love.”

As Lance added a vibrato to the last note he sang, he and Annaleigh were met with silence. He looked over at Annaleigh, who had bowed her head a second time before peering over at him, her lips parting into her charming smile. And then her arms were wrapped around his waist as he hugged her. Lance smiled into her hair before she hugged him back.

“Thank you,” Johnny spoke up, after he loudly cleared his throat, adjusting the cap on his head. “That was great. We’ll get back to you shortly. If you are to be chosen, you’ll be moving to California to start working as soon as possible. You’ll be meeting the other members of the live band to start work on the live performance for the AMAs. It’s a quick turnaround because the boys have to be filming their new music video for Bye, Bye, Bye from the 9th to the 11th and an event to attend before the awards show. You’ve already looked at the contract and have had your lawyer deem it suitable for you to sign, again, if you are to be chosen.” He shuffled the papers in front of him before lacing his fingers together before looking up at Annaleigh, his eyebrows lifting. “Do you have any questions?”

“I…thought y’all lived here in Orlando,” Annaleigh said, pointing a finger towards the carpeted floor.

“Joey’s the only one that really lives here now,” Lance quickly explained. “He and his family still live out here, but now we all live together in California.”

“She wouldn’t be living by herself, would she?” Ryan asked, his eyebrows knitting together.

“Dad,” Annaleigh groaned.

Lance could practically see the gears turning in his head. It wouldn’t surprise him if Ryan suddenly decided to pack up the house back in Clinton and move out to La La Land with his daughter. “She’d have a chaperone? I remember Diane flying out to Germany.”

Johnny hesitated for a moment before replying, “She’d be staying with the boys. I figured it’d be the best for her to be close to Lance so she has a sense of home with her.”

“I promise I’ll keep an eye out for her, Mr. Ryan,” Lance quickly spoke up. “You won’t have to worry about anything.”

“Of course, she’ll also have some women around,” Johnny quickly explained. “The hair and make-up women and some of the drivers for the group are around frequently and I have let them know that she’s auditioning.” He turned in his seat to face Annaleigh’s dad. “I understand your concerns and would be happy to discuss them even further with you after I finish the rest of these auditions.”

As far as Lance was concerned, Annaleigh already had the job. Looking over at his friends, he could see that they felt the same way as well. Apart from Justin who was staring at Annaleigh’s dad in awe, tightly gripping the back of his chair and the side of the table with a tight grip as if he was waiting for permission to talk to the man.

“I understand, sir,” Ryan replied, bending at the waist just slightly, in a bow of thanks. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Johnny replied. Lance looked back and forth between the two men, letting out the breath of air he didn’t realize he had been holding. Johnny was someone he, and everyone, had great respect for. Once he started talking, everybody listened to what it was that he had to say. He was a self accomplished man and it was evident that Ryan could see and respect that. “That would be all, Annaleigh, we’ll let you know soon.”

“Don’t sweat it, you did a great job,” Lance said, looping an arm around his friend’s shoulders, giving her a squeeze.

Now all he had to do was wait for the good news.

 


 

“You ok, Ace? You’ve been really quiet. You said you wanted ta swim, but now you’re not doin’ anythin’ but floatin’. What about Marco Polo or seeing who can hold their breath longer, or practicing mermaid kicks, or playin’ Swamp Thing?”

Annaleigh rolled her eyes, listening as Darren’s words echoed off of the walls of the hotel pool area before adjusting her grip on the raft made out of pool noodles under her arms. “We haven’ played Swamp Thing since ya were in junior high,” she said to him. “Y’know, before you thought ya were too cool to hang out with a little kid like me.”

Normally she’d jump at the chance to be in close proximity with the guy (much more so than they already were) but her mind was too preoccupied. Justin had said that her dad had a band, but she only knew of her dad’s music as a solo performer. At least, that's what he had told her.

Yes, with touring even as a solo act, you’d need a backing band, but the way he had brought it up, he had really toured as a band. Oathkeeper? She had never heard of it. He had albums. Plural. Like more than one. More than one that she had never seen or heard in her life.

How is it possible that someone who lives in Tennessee know more about my dad than I do? She asked herself over and over again. She wanted to talk to her dad about it, but he had practically ran out of the room as soon as her audition was over. Well, as fast as he could go with crutches anyway.

One of her eyebrows lowered as the other shot up. “Is that weird? My not talkin’?”

“Because it’s you; yes,” Darren replied, mocking her arched eyebrow. He faced her, folding his arms on the raft. They kicked their legs in the water, keeping themselves afloat with the help of the raft. “What’s up, Ace? Figured you’d be jumpin’ at the chance to head to the beach with Jazzy and Miss Diane.”

As soon as Annaleigh was done with her audition, to which she constantly picked apart, asking if her singing was really that great or as terrible as she had thought it was, they had made their way back up to their hotel rooms. Lance joined the band in trying to decide who would get the bass part, Jasmine and Diane went to the beach, Ryan stayed in his hotel room, and Annaleigh and Darren went down to the pool where they were now treading water near the deep end.

Annaleigh let out a breath of air through her nose, blowing droplets of pool water off her upper lip “Why d’ya think my dad didn’ tell me about his band? I mean, mom had kind of brought it up before but...dad always said it was just a solo thing.” An ache formed in her stomach, sending warm shock waves to her spine when her foot brushed across, um, some part of his leg.

Darren blinked once, twice, three times. “Since when did ya not know?” Darren asked, a confused look crossing his face. “You always knew ‘bout his music. Ya jus’ made that album with him.”

“I always thought it was a solo thing, Chippendale,” Annaleigh replied and watched as Darren made a face at the name. “He just said the songs were a couple he had done years ago, that’s all.”

“Maybe ‘cause he knew you’d react like how you’re reactin’ right now?” Darren asked. Annaleigh’s second eyebrow shot up to join the first. “Both of y’all can be as stubborn as a mule in cement. Jus’ give him time, he’ll explain it to ya.” Annaleigh snorted. “You were the one that wanted ta come to the pool instead of talkin’ to him, Ace.”

“He could’ve stopped me from leavin’,” Annaleigh mumbled. He knew he had a point, though.

“Don’t get too big for your britches, Anal-Lee,” Darren replied. Annaleigh stuck her tongue out at him before allowing herself to sink into the water, the water line stopping just beneath her nose. She let out a breath of air, bubbles forming around her mouth. “He doesn’ have to tell ya jus’ because you want him to.”

“You make it sound like I’m being a brat,” Annaleigh said, popping up, sending the water shooting out in every direction. She scowled at him with a scowl and Darren let out a sigh, resting his chin on his arms. “I helped him with that album, remember?”

“Look, no one ever really knows their parents,” Darren replied, shaking his head, swinging his wet hair out of his face. “They probably have a whole side of ‘em we’ll never get ta see. He’s gone through a lot, so have you. I think it’d be best for both of y’all to talk, but if he’s not ready ta do it, he’s not ready ta do it.”

“But—“

“And are you really that ready to listen to what he has ta say?” Darren interrupted her. “It might be somethin’ bad. Somethin’ coulda happened that made him choose not ta tell ya. He didn’ even want ya ta do this to begin with, remember?”

Annaleigh pouted. “I hate it when you’re right.”

Darren grinned. “Naw, you just hate bein’ wrong,” he replied. “Now, why does everything have to be one-sided with ya?” Annaleigh’s eye twitched, but she didn’t say anything. Talk about things being one-sided.“What?”

“Truth?” Annaleigh asked after a moment of silence.

“Please and thank you,” Darren replied.

Annaleigh bowed her head for a moment, feeling her skin burn despite the cool water splashing around her. “I’m surprised you didn’t realize how I felt ‘bout you,” she muttered, keeping her gaze on the colored pool toys below her arms. She let out a short laugh. “I was pathetic, really. Had to have been obvious.” She peered up at him through her wet bangs.

“Always thought you were takin’ a liking to Lance,” Darren replied with half a grin. Annaleigh felt her eyes widen. “What?”

 “D, you’re nuttier than a fruitcake,” she commented, slowly shaking her head back and forth.

 “You were followin’ Lance ‘round everywhere,” he commented, running a hand over the back of his wet head.”So, I jus’ assumed.”

“I did everything I could to get your attention,” Annaleigh explained, an amused look crossing her face. “Lance always told me to tell ya, but…I don’t know, I thought you’d eventually realize or somethin’.” She then cleared her throat, quickly trying to backtrack. “I got over it, though. I can only be called Bookworm  or Anal-Lee, or Kid, for so long.” Darren made a humming noise in the back of his throat. “I hung around with Lance, partially because I knew you’d be around, and partially because Lance is…comfortable.”

Darren arched an eyebrow. “How so?”

“Lance always looked on the bright side of things, you know?” Annaleigh explained. “He always had this self-confidence that I wish I had. He always worked hard and everything paid off for him. Around someone like that for so long and you wish it’ll rub off on ya. Only, here I am, three years later, same old Annaleigh.”

“Well…maybe we all prefer you this way,” Darren suggested. His gaze was on his fingers as he picked underneath his fingernails. Not that he had any dirt underneath them, being in the pool for so long if he had any, it’d be long gone. Their fingers and toes were starting to shrivel up and look like raisins. “Don’t be getting a big head in California.”

“We don’ even know if I’ll get in, Chippendale,” Anna replied.

“If they see how much talent you have that I see, you’ll get in no problem,” he said, waving a hand in the air. “It’s ok to be scared.”

“I’m ain’t scared of nothin’,” she said, to him.

“You can go creek stomping, mudding, and racing with the best of them, I’m not denying that,” Darren replied, putting a hand into the air, lifting his head to look at her. “You’re scared of what you don’ know. Liiike; why your parents fought all the time, why your mom left, these auditions, why you never told me you liked me-“

“I didn’t tell you because I don’t want ta be like my parents,” Annaleigh replied and Darren instantly stopped talking, giving her a curious look. “I couldn’t even tell ya if they still love each other or when they fell out of love, or if they just hate each other or what, but I don’t want ta end up like them.”

“What makes ya think we would’ve ended up like that?” Darren asked, his eyebrows knitting together into a look of confusion.

“We already are like that,” Annaleigh replied. “Taking digs at each other, callin’ each other names, arguin’ from time ta time, it’s what we do.”

“Yeah,” Darren agreed with a nod of his head. “But, that’s just us.” He lifted his hand and indicated between the two of them. “Like ya said, it’s what we do. It wouldn’ change if we got together.”

“It’d get worse,” Annaleigh replied with a short laugh, shaking her head. “Only, it’d be more personal ‘n’ anythin’ would be fair game.”

“So you’re just going ta stop yourself from bein’ happy?” Darren asked. “An’ you say I’m nuttier than a fruitcake.” Annaleigh stayed silent, shifting her gaze to peer into the fire in front of her. He reached out a hand and shoved her shoulder, knocking her off of the raft. Annaleigh flailed her arms and legs, keeping her head above water.  “It’s your turn.”

“Did you seriously just say that?” she asked with a laugh.

“Yes, I seriously just did,” Darren replied with a nod before releasing the make-shift raft, sinking below the water’s surface. His distorted figure dove under the water until his head popped up, breaking the surface. He lifted his hand, brushing his hair back off his forehead, using his arm to wipe the water from his face.

“You’re actually tellin’ me when it’s my turn ta argue with you?” Annaleigh asked, lifting her foot , placing it on his stomach, pushing herself away from him. “You’re such a loser, D.”

“Takes one ta know one, Kid,” Darren replied, making his voice as high pitched as he could get it. He grabbed her ankle, pulling her back towards him.

“I hate it when you call me that,” Annaleigh said with a whining tone to her voice.

“Why do you think I do it, Ace?” Darren asked with a smile. “You’ll get in the band, don’ worry.”

 “When I do, just don’ gloat too much or your head will get bigger than it already is.” Annaleigh gave him a cheeky smile. “Might not like you as much anymore.”

“Why do you like me?” Darren asked, tilting his head to the side.

“Dimples,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug. Or rather, the best she could shrug muster while treading water. Her smile widened, nose wrinkling slightly as she gave him a teasing look. “You better be nice to me or I’ll find someone in California with dimples.”

“…I hope you don’t,” Darren replied.

“Yeah, right, like I could forget you,” Annaleigh replied with a roll of her eyes before swinging her arm through the water, splashing him. “Hey!” A startled laugh slipped past her lips when he lunged towards her, grabbing her legs to pull her towards him.

Annaleigh blinked in surprise when he leaned over and pressed his lips to hers in a sweet kiss. An ache formed in the pit of her stomach as she gently put pressure on his lips with her own. As soon as he pulled away, Annaleigh let out a breath of air, bowing her head to hide the smile that worked its way onto her face.

“What was that for?” she asked quietly, brushing her hands across her cheeks to try and cool her heated skin before looking up at him.

“Come on,” Darren said. Instead of answering her question, he started back stroking towards the pool ladder. “Lance and the guys are going to show us around and take us to dinner.” A challenging look crossed his face. “Race ya to the ladder.” He turned onto his stomach, lowering his face into the water, and started swimming as fast as he could.

“No fair!” Annaleigh shouted after him before hurrying to catch up. Just like she was always doing: playing catch up, serving as second fiddle, being there as back up. That was just the cards she was dealt. Only this time, she intended to get as much use out of it as possible.

 

End Notes:
Song used: It’s Your Love by Tim McGraw and Faith Hill

Thanks for reading my story you guys. I’m hoping to have “Heart of the Matter” updated real soon.
Let Her Go (II) by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Annaleigh worries about whenther or not she makes it into the band and Lance learns a secret about her family's past.

~5~

 

Annaleigh paced back and forth in her hotel room, chewing on her bottom lip in time to her shuffling bare feet on the carpet of the hotel suite she was sharing with her dad, Darren, and Jasmine. She thought the hotel itself looked extravagant, she didn’t think she’d get all excited about what a suite looked like. Not that she had been in many before.

Chew, chew, chew, turn.

Chew, chew, chew, turn.

How long did it take to decide whether or not she was going to be in the band? If things didn’t work out, she had a life to get back to, a job, school work. She had to get back to making sure her family could stay afloat.

That’s what you’re doin’ right now, knucklehead. Annaleigh made a humming sound in the back of her throat.

“What?” Annaleigh’s eyes shifted over towards Jasmine who was stretched out on the couch on her stomach, flipping through a magazine. She kicked her legs back and forth, her heels hitting her bottom and bouncing off of the couch cushions. She lifted her gaze from the magazine, shaking her dirty blonde hair out of her face before sitting back on her heels. “Do you think teal would be a good color on me?” She turned the magazine towards her friend and placed her hand on the page next to a giant bottle of teal nail polish

“I was just thinkin’,” Annaleigh replied, answering her friend’s first question. “And no, peach is better suited for you.”

“Peach?” Jasmine repeated, glancing down at her nails, a frown coming to her face. “Hmm. Maybe…” She then closed the magazine and slapped it down on top of Darren’s head from where he was sitting on the floor with his back pressed against the couch.

“Hey!” Darren frowned as he reached up to remove the magazine from his head.

“And would ya stop pacing?” Jasmine asked her friend. She gave a dramatic sigh, flopping back down onto her stomach before propping her chin with the palm of her hand. “You’re driving me nuts. You’re an awesome musician, your singin’ was flawless, that outfit doesn’ make you look fat, your hair is just fabulous, and as my best friend you should know all that and be confident with yourself.”

Annaleigh briefly closed her eyes, allowing a short laugh to split through the air. “Thanks, Jazz, I needed that,” she said with a smile.

“You’re welcome,” Jasmine replied with a wide smile, bringing her shoulders up to her chin. She batted her eyelashes, making her look even more approachable then she already did. If she was auditioning for the band, Annaleigh was sure she’d get in on her looks alone. Not that she didn’t have talent. She could sing and dance like it was nobody’s business having taken lessons since she was three. It was no surprise to anyone when she headed out to Clinton’s performing arts high school the first chance she got.   “That’s what best friends are for.”

“You might as well sit down, Ace,” Darren added, his eyes glued to the TV. “Lance said he’ll call when they’re ready to go to dinner.”

“I must’ve gotten in, right?” Annaleigh asked, moving to sit down on the couch, sliding her hands down the back s of her jean clad legs. “I mean, they wouldn’ want ta have dinner with us if I didn’ make it in, right?”

“Of course the fact that we’ve been friends with Lance for years has nothin’ to do with it,” Darren replied, his words dripping with massive amounts of sarcasm. He lifted the remote that sat next to him on the floor and jabbed his fingernail into the power button switching it off. He then tilted his head back resting the crook of his neck on the couch cushions. He blinked his brown eyes, sniffing.  “They’d be crazy not ta hire you.”

“Yeah, well, I called my Ma to let her know,” Annaleigh commented, resting her chin in her hand. “Again.”

“Don’t hold your breath on getting a reply,” Ryan called from his room. Annaleigh got off of the couch and headed in the direction of her father’s voice. She heard Jasmine let out a small “uh oh” behind her back. Ryan shifted his gaze from the TV as Annaleigh leaned against the doorjamb. “I’m sorry, Sweet Pea. It’s just that—“

“I know, dad, just thought I’d try,” Annaleigh replied, swinging her head to the side, trying to move her wavy hair out of her face. She pursed her lips when hair from the other side of her face fell over her eye. “Again.”

Ryan chuckled; a bitter, or sarcastic, under tone to the action. “Yeah, no kidding,” he muttered.

Annaleigh clicked her tongue before stepping further into the room. “How does this outfit look, dad?” she asked, spreading her arms out to show her

“You look beautiful, darlin’,” Ryan replied after looking over her outfit.

“You said that for everything I tried on,” Annaleigh said with a bit of a pout as she put her hands on her hips.

“It’s all true, darlin’,” Ryan replied, an amused look coming to his face. “You looked beautiful in everythin’ you tried on. You always were perfectly content with a t-shirt and jeans when had ta dress ya. Fashion was your mother’s territory.”

He twisted his mouth to the side when he heard Jasmine loudly clear her throat. “And Jazzy’s,” he finished, laughing when she loudly called, “Thank you!” back to him. Annaleigh couldn’t help but smile. “You look more ‘n’ more like your mother every day.” His smile disappeared slightly. “She’ll call eventually; she always does.” He turned his head away slightly. “Only I’m sure she’s going to bite my head off about this.”

“Not like you didn’ have your reservations ‘bout it either,” Annaleigh replied before she could stop herself.

“Anna, I’m not going to get into this conversation with you again,” Ryan said in a warning tone. “I have my reasons for why I didn’t want you to do this.” His eyebrows twitched. “Have the same reasons now.”

Annaleigh let out a sharp breath of air through her nose. She set her jaw, slowly shaking her head back and forth. He was doing so well being supportive and now all of a sudden it was back to their same arguments. “So, why are we even out here, then?” she asked, crossing her arms over her chest. Couldn’t he just be supportive as all get out for once? They had gotten through this far without one argument; granted he was most likely keeping it all in.

“Excuse me, young lady, but I’d appreciate it if ya didn’ take that tone with me,” Ryan said, his eyebrows shifting upwards. “And we’re here because God only knows I’d have ta hear ‘bout this over and over again if I didn’ let you give it a shot.”

“So we’re just out here so I wouldn’ talk your ear off about this? Well, thanks so much, dad, for not thinking I had the talent to do this,” Annaleigh snapped. She heard shuffling behind her before she heard the click of the front door shortly followed by the sound of it closing. “So this is a whole waste of time? I could’ve been workin’ or somethin’!”

“I didn’t say that,” Ryan replied, putting his hand up in the air. His hazel eyes flashed with warning and he squared his shoulders against the headboard of the bed. “I’d appreciate it if you didn’t put words in my mouth.”

“Well, I’m sorry, but—“

“If I thought you wouldn’ get into this band, do you think I would’ve had your passport application all set up the minute I had gotten the call from Melanie myself?” Ryan asked, an annoyed look briefly crossed his face as he crossed his arms over his chest, pulling his shirt taut over his form. The annoyance slowly melted away to be replaced with a look of pride. Annaleigh’s next words died on her lips.

“What?” she asked after a moment of silence.

Ryan let out a sigh through his nose, his lips twitching just slightly before he leaned over the side of his bed, grasping the strap to his bag. He pulled the bag up onto his lap before spinning it around so the side pocket faced him. He unzipped it and reached inside before pulling out the small, thin blue book tossing it onto the end of her bed.

Annaleigh paused before slapping her hand down on top of the passport, dragging it across the bed spread before flipping it over in her hand. “Mrs. Rains called you?” she asked, peering up at him.

“She gave Lance the home number before I passed her along to yours when they first brought up lookin’ for a new bass player,” Ryan explained, dropping his bag back to the ground with a loud thunk. “Now, I didn’ want to at first—“

“Of course ya didn’,” Annaleigh muttered under her breath, fighting the urge to roll her eyes. Ryan’s eyebrows lifted as his eyes narrowed just slightly. Bad move. If there was one thing Ryan Carr greatly disliked it was when you “back sassed” him in front of his face. “Sorry, sir.”

“Sit down, Sweet Pea,” Ryan said, patting the empty space on his bed. Annaleigh did as she was directed, folding her legs underneath her. “I think you’ve got what it takes ta be a great musician, Anna. I jus’ don’t think you’ll be able to show it to everybody if you’re always in Lance’s shadow playin’ backup to him.”

Annaleigh let out a short chuckle of amusement at his statement. Here she was auditioning to be his back up for months on end, and he didn’t want her to be stuck in her best friend’s shadow. It was better than being blinded by the spotlight in her opinion. There wasn’t too much pressure and while she could show off her skills and support her friend, she knew everybody would be talking about how well the boys performed.

That was just fine and dandy with her.

Ryan was silent for a moment. He ran his hand over his face and raked his fingers through his hair, leaving trails behind him. “What if you do get in and you realize this isn’ what you want?” Ryan asked. “That touring and travelling isn’t what it was cracked up to be? You can’t just leave the boys in the middle of tour after making the commitment to stay. You’ve already signed the contract.”

“Well they kinda goaded me into  it,” Annaleigh replied.

“No, no they didn’,” Ryan said, putting his hand in the air, turning his head slightly to the side. “I know this business, Sweet Pea. Way more than you might think. Mr. Wright’s a business man; if you wanted ta wait until after officially being offered the position, you could’ve.”

“But, dad, it’s a tight window enough already,” Annaleigh protested.

“If they wanted ya enough, they would most likely hold out,” Ryan replied. He reached up a hand and scratched the stubble on his jaw. “With what they’re offering you, with the contract spanning this tour with, from what I understand, room to re-negotiate if you are to follow through with the next tour, and the possibility of working on their next album, and any royalties…they would’a held out. Especially since they know you’re my daughter. Not that I’d ever want ya to use my name to get what you want.”

“No, sir,” Annaleigh replied, drawing an X over her chest before kissing the pads of her index and middle finger, holding them up in the air. “Promise, promise.”

With the figures that Annaleigh would be making, Ryan wouldn’t have to worry about working again for the rest of his life. She knew he would though; he was never the type to sit back and just live off of someone else’s money. She could beg and plead him to take the time to rest his ankle and wait for her payment checks to come in, and he would agree to it, but she knew that his word only last so far. She was just as stubborn as he could be; he’d be walking around the minute the plane wheels landed back in Mississippi.

She let out a sigh, dropping her hands into her lap. “This is what I want ta do, dad,” Annaleigh insisted. She understood that he was worried about her; his only daughter, the only family he had left with him. She would have to leave the house eventually to start a career and go wherever it took her. “How many times do I have to tell you that?”

“I’m jus’ making sure this isn’t a flash in the pan idea for you,” Ryan replied, sniffing.

“We all thought this NSYNC thing was going to be a flash in the pan, but we were wrong ‘bout that, weren’t we?” Annaleigh asked. Ryan let out a short laugh before his lips pulled back into a smile.

“Ya got that right,” he agreed. He looked over at her, using his teeth to pull his bottom lip into his mouth. “I’ll cut ya a deal, but ya have to be good to your word, y’hear?”

“I hear,” Annaleigh replied.

“I know you can do this, Anna, and…I’ll let you do it,” Ryan said and Annaleigh sucked in a gasp of air in an excited gasp. “But, whatever money you make, each pay check, no matter how much you decide to send home, ten percent of all of it gets put away into the bank to save for college or for whenever you’re goin’ ta live alone.”

“Ok.”

“Two; I know I can’t change your mind about sendin’ me money to help despite always tellin’ ya that I don’t want you to. But, when I ask you to stop, you stop.”

“Yes, sir.”

“And third…I want ya to wear this,” Ryan replied. He swung his legs out of the bed and slowly got to his feet.

“Daddy, use the crutches,” Annaleigh said to him as she watched him brace his hand on the wall of his room. “Or at least let me help.”

“I hate those things,” Ryan muttered under his breath, ignoring her. “Just stay where you are.” Annaleigh put her hands in the air, doing as she was told. She twisted around to watch her dad pull open one of the dresser drawers, reaching underneath a pile of clothes to pull out a small black box. “Catch.’

He rolled the clunky box up his arm before bouncing it off his forearm, launching it through the air. Annaleigh reached out her hand and barely caught it, bouncing it between her hands before clutching it to her chest. She turned the box upwards in her hands and lifted the lid to reveal a glittering chain with a ring sitting off the end. The small band held a dark green gem, her birthstone, in the middle of it.

 “It’s a purity ring,” Ryan explained. “Your mama and I have had it picked out since you were born. We were plannin’ on giving it to you when you turned eighteen in July, but given the circumstances.” He slowly lowered himself down onto the corner of the bed. Annaleigh felt herself tilt just slightly to the left. “Now, since you won’t be able to go through the church ceremony, you don’t have to think of it that way. But, I want you to think of it like a promise ring of sorts. Promise me and yourself that you’ll be safe, that you’ll keep your body safe, and to—“

“Stay pure until marriage, I know,” Annaleigh replied.

“No,” Ryan replied with a shake of his head. Annaleigh blinked in surprise, looking up at him.”I mean, yes, that would be great but…it’d be equally as great to wait until you were in love.” He paused for a moment before letting out a sigh through his nose. “Can ya promise me that?”

“Promise, promise,” Annaleigh replied. Ryan chuckled as she lifted the necklace out of the box and held it up in front of her before sliding the chain over her head. The ring sat against her chest before she tucked it underneath her shirt.

“I hate fightin’ with you ‘bout this, you know,” he said, reaching out to pat her knee. “Just like I know you hate fighting about it. As I’ve said, I have reasons for my hesitations, but it’s not somethin’ I’m willing to share until I know you’re ready to hear it.”

“You always say that, daddy,” Annaleigh said, a hint of a whine in her tone.

“When have I ever broken a promise to you, Sweet Pea?” Ryan asked.

Annaleigh gave her father a pointed look, tilting her head to the side. “When you and Mama said you’d always stay together,” she replied.

Ryan lifted a finger in the air before pointing it towards her. “I didn’ break that promise,” he said to her and Annaleigh hiked an eyebrow before rolling her eyes. “Your mama and I are still together in the sense of how much we love you and how we both want what’s best for you. We still care about each other and don’ ever forget that you are equally your mother and I. Nothin’ will change that. Ok?”

“Ok.” Annaleigh replied. Ryan leaned forward to give her a kiss on the forehead.

“I’m really proud of you, and your mama is too,” Ryan said as he lifted his hand to muss her hair. “No matter what, we’re proud of you.” He let out a deep laugh when Annaleigh made a face, using her fingers to fix her hair. “Come on, we have a dinner to get to. Let’s see if the food here compares to what we can make back home.”

“Yeah, I doubt it,” Annaleigh replied.

“Oh! There’s one more thing,” Ryan said, loudly clapping his hands together. He pulled himself back up the mattress and reached for his bag once more. He unzipped it, reached his hand in, and proceeded to pull out a chocolate brown teddy bear, and a stuffed Pluto toy.

“Chip! Puto!” Annaleigh said with a wide smile, reaching her hands out for her toys. She wiggled her fingers. “Gimmie, gimmie.”Ryan gave her an amused look before handing them to her. Annaleigh hugged her toys to her chest, smiling widely.

“Just so you have a piece of home with ya while you’re out on the road,” Ryan explained. His smile faded just slightly. “So you won’t forget where you came from.”

“I’d never do that, daddy,” Annaleigh said, peering up at her dad. “Mississippi will always be my home and will always be a part of me.” She gave him a bright smile. “And I plan on commin’ back.”

“Glad to hear it,” Ryan softly replied.


“ James, don’t fill yourself up before we get down to dinner.” Uh oh, first name. Lance knew to listen when he was referred to by his first name. In this case though…

Lance removed his hand from the flat pack of Twizzlers in his lap before proceeded to spin the red candy in the air. He moved one to his mouth and took a large bite out of it. Diane tried to give him a stern look through the mirror as she put an earring in her ear, but it shifted into a look of amusement.

“Shouldn’t have brought it if you didn’t want me to eat them,” he said before getting out of the chair in the corner of her hotel room. He removed a second one from the package and held it out to her. “You know you want one.”

“So, I guess it’d be a bad idea to give you those Red Cream sodas, then?” Diane asked, securing her earring before taking the candy from him.

“Yes, it would,” Lance replied before he laughed, his deep timber mixing in with her light tone. He tapped his Twizzler against hers before taking another bite out of it. “But, I expect to have some shipped to me in California.”

“Already on its way,” Diane replied as knock was heard on the door.

“You’re the best, momma,” Lance said, giving her a bright smile before kissing her on the cheek, making his way to the door. He peered through the peep hole before sliding the chain from the lock pulled the door open. “Hey, D. Hey, Jasmine.”

“Sorry to barge in, Miss Diane,” Jasmine said as she stepped over the threshold, her hands clasped behind her back. “Anna and her dad are arguing again.”

“Oh no,” Diane said with a sigh, her shoulders slumping. “Not on a day like today.”

 “We’re just worried about them,” Darren said, moving to sit at the chair at the desk. Jasmine made a beeline for the single bed and sank onto the mattress, crossing one leg over the other before smoothing out her skirt. “But, we didn’ think it was a good idea to stay in the room.”

 “I know you are, sweetie,” she replied, turning around to face him. “I’m worried about them, too.” She took a large bite out of her Twizzler before lifting a hand, holding it over her mouth. “Ryan insists that everything is ok, but I can’t help but worry. Anna still has a year and a half of high school to get through, and then there’s the idea of college and what she plans on doing in the future.” She swallowed, smacking her lips slightly before indicating Lance with her free hand. “Of course, all that will have to work around touring. I’ve been looking at getting her through the same home schooling program you were in when you first started, Lance.”

“With Caroline out of the picture, and his injury…it’s just a mess over there. I’m sure they’ll come through everything just fine. They will make it through with God’s good grace and with faith. I’m trying not to get involved, but it’s hard to see your friend go through something like this. I can only imagine how hard it is for all y’all to have to sit through it as well. But, I’ve been keeping them in my prayers as of late. If there’s anything I can do, it’s that.”

“I’ve tried to convince her to start entering pageants again,” Jasmine explained, “but no luck.”

“Oh, Jasmine, you know how important pageants were to both Annaleigh and Caroline,” Diane said, slowly shaking her head back and forth. “It’s no wonder she wouldn’t do it.”

“The prize money was good enough,” Jasmine replied with a shrug.

“They could’ve used it,” Darren agreed.

“Yeah, but you know how hard it was for her to convince him to let her take the job at the diner,” Lance said, tapping his Twizzler against his cheek. He made a face when his spit covered end started to stick to his face. He frowned as he lifted his arm to wipe his cheek with his shirt sleeve.

“He just doesn’t want to make her feel like it’s on her shoulders to make everythin’ ok,” Diane replied. “Y’all know that the Carrs are independent folks. But, we should be there for them for when they do ask for help. Just like always, y’hear?”

“Yes, ma’am,” Darren and Jasmine replied in unison.

“Of course,” Lance agreed. “Has dad called?”

“He had to work late tonight, but promises that he will call later on,” Diane explained. She briefly closed her eyes, an annoyed look briefly crossing her face. “Y’think if I asked, he’d want to work out a lesson plan for me for when I get back?” Lance let out a loud laugh. “Yeah, I thought not.”

“Miss Diane, you think Ace will get into the band, right?” Jasmine asked.

“She has so much talent and that voice of hers. Of course I’m supporting her,” Diane said before she twisted her mouth to the side. Lance blinked. She didn’t answer her question. “The thing is, once word gets out about this, whether she gets in or not, she’s goin’ to have to face people who think she only got in either because of her dad or because of her bein’ friends with Lance. With how much Clinton talked about and still does talk about her family back home, I don’ know how well she’ll be able to handle it to be honest with you.”

“Justin, Joey, JC, Chris, and Lance are doing well,” Darren pointed out to her.

“I’m not denyin’ that,” Diane replied, putting her hand up in the air. She was silent for a moment, a muscle in her jaw twitching. She opened and closed her mouth a couple of times before pressing her lips together. She briefly closed her eyes as she let out a sigh before opening them. “Us moms are so proud of all the boys and we think it was due to how they had started out; with next to nothing. Annaleigh’s coming in at the height of their popularity. People, unfortunately, want to know as much about them as possible.”

Lance’s eyes narrowed slightly. He popped the rest of his Twizzler into his mouth and chewed slowly as he regarded her. She shifted her weight from foot to foot just slightly, played with her hair. He sat up in his seat, planting his feet on the floor. “Mom?” he asked quietly. He saw Jasmine and Darren exchange glances at the tone of his voice. “What’s wrong?”

For a moment, it didn’t look like Diane was going to say anything. She crossed her arms over her chest. “I know what y’all think about Ryan, but I wouldn’t write Mr. Carr off right quick,” she said. “He has his reasons for not wantin’ his daughter to get into the business. Now, I know I really can’t stop you for worryin’ ‘bout your friend, but there are some things you shouldn’t be messing with, an’ this is one of those times.”

“With all due respect, Miss Diane,” Jasmine said, uncrossing her legs. She slid her hands down her skirt before grasping the edge with her hands, “we’ve always heard rumors ‘bout what happened, but we don’ know for sure.”

“Please, Miss Diane?” Darren asked quietly.

Diane sucked her lips into her mouth. “Mom?” Lance asked, a pleading tone coming to his voice. “Please? We’re not kids anymore. We can handle it.”Diane turned her head slightly to lock eyes with him and slowly nodded. “Ok. Now, what’s going on?”

“I’m telling y’all with the most confidence that you won’t go telling your dad,” Diane said looking over at Lance before shifting her gaze to Jasmine and Darren, “or your parents, that I told you.”

“What is it, mom?” Lance asked again. The pads of his fingers started to hurt, he was gripping the arm rests of his chair so hard.  Diane let out a long sigh before moving to sit next to Jasmine on the bed.

“When Ryan and Caroline were pregnant with Annaleigh, he was really into music at the time,” Diane explained. “He wasn’t a solo musician like he wanted Annaleigh to believe, but he was the lead in his band, Oathkeeper, and thought music was more important than Caroline’s pregnancy.  At the time.” She looked over at Lance, then Jasmine, and then at Darren to make  sure they weren’t going to say anything bad against the man. Lance slowly swallowed.

“That’s not to say he wouldn’t be there for her when Caroline gave birth and he was. The thing is that before he accepted his role as a father, he was trying to hold onto his success and to put off being a parent for as long as he could. It seemed like he wasn’t the type that would ever settle down; it was his public image and he milked it for all it was worth. He really got into the music lifestyle and had an affair and got another woman pregnant while on the road.”

Lance felt the breath he didn’t realize he was holding rush out of him. His chest deflated and his eyes darted around the room, his mind swirling. He looked over at Darren out of the corner of his eyes, and saw that his face was set into a deep frown. Jasmine’s draw had dropped just slightly. Her grip tightened on the end of her skirt.

“She has an older half-brother,” Diane said and Lance felt his jaw drop. “He was born early; two weeks before her. Annaleigh was actually supposed to have a baby brother or sister, but Caroline had a miscarriage. They stopped tryin’ after that. Anyway, after Caroline found out about Ryan’s affair, they had nearly broken up on the spot without any way to reconcile, but it was obvious the two of ‘em have a deep connection, and a deep love for each other. The two of them wanted to make it work.”

“How’d she find out?” Darren asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

“Ryan didn’t pay for child support for the new baby and the baby’s mother had tried to get in contact with him. Caroline intercepted a call or something,” Diane explained. Lance put his face into his hands before running his hands up over his hair. “He had just wanted to forget about his past mistakes, they both did. They never told Annaleigh about the woman or her half-brother, but the more her interest in music grew, the more tense her parents had become around each other. It’s why they were always fightin’. They couldn’ ever address their problems, they just wanted it all to go away.”

“This summer, Caroline left. Annaleigh was with you, Darren, helping you pack to head out to Ole Miss when she did.” Darren made a face, a hum sounding in his throat, but he didn’t say anything. “Two of ‘em just couldn’t handle all the arguments and keeping their secret from Annaleigh. Caroline felt that she had the right to leave since she was the one who had been, uh, ‘screwed over’. She explained everything to your father and I, Lance, from the road and hoped that we’d look out for her and make sure that she was ok while she was gone. Same with y’all two’s parents.”

“Annaleigh never got an explanation for it; Caroline was there when she left that morning and gone when she got back. It was hard on her, and Ryan didn’t have much of an explanation for her either. I don’ know how he would with how blindsided he was by it. Personally, I don’t think splitting up was never something Ryan or Caroline considered due to its teachings in the Bible. Ryan’s way of dealing with it was working more, and the more Annaleigh was alone, since at this point Jasmine went off to her performing art school, the more she did everything she could to not be so lonely. She focused on school, soccer, singing, work; anything she could do to be around people. Although, that ain’t the first time she felt that way. That’s why she had grown attached to all y’all.”

“Then Ryan had gone and hurt himself at work. He says it was an accident, but a part of me wonders if he gone and done it on purpose. To see if Caroline would come back after knowing how much Annaleigh had taken on just to be sure that the bills were paid. If not for him, then for her. Now, I hadn’t asked him that, but I can assume all the same. Jus’ like I’m assumin’ that the reason he had turned around and started to live by the word of God those, to teach his meaning to students, was to try and give himself a new slate. Thing is, this whole thing wasn’ about either of ‘em, it was always about their daughter. It was always about Annaleigh. Unfortunately, neither of ‘em can see that.”

“Annaleigh thinks she’s the reason why her parents split up and in a way, she’s right. She’s always wanted to get out of Clinton, as you all know. She’s wanted to get away from her parents arguin’, and to get away from her guilt. Now it’s that guilt that’s made a part of her want to stay and not give this a chance to begin with. She couldn’ leave her dad alone knowin’ that he couldn’t do much for himself. An’ he doesn’t want her to leave and find out about his past without him tellin’ her first.”

Silence rang throughout the hotel room, crushing in around them. “Now remember, y’all promised not to tell anyone ‘bout this,” Diane said, looking back and forth between her son and his two friends. “‘Course, you’re facin’ the repercussion from not only Annaleigh, but from Ryan, and Caroline if she finds out. The thing is, I’m proud of the three of y’all, always lookin’ out for her, but we couldn’ expect you three to have to keep that from her. Thing is, we now need your help in making sure the world doesn’t tell her about this, first.”

“Well, what can we do from home?” Darren asked, lifting his thumb, pointing it between Jasmine and himself.

“Be there for her, like y’all always have been,” Diane replied. “She’s goin’ to need someone to turn to that’s not in the limelight to talk to every once in a while.” Lance nodded his head in silent agreement. It really helped to have friends and family back home to keep him grounded and to talk about everything aside from his music.

“Johnny said he’s working on scheduling a show in Mississippi, so I’ll let you all know about that,” Lance said as he reached for his phone in his pocket as it vibrated against his thigh. He removed his phone from his pocket and flipped it open, opening the text message he had. “Everyone’s down the street at The Rusty Spoon. It’s just a five minute walk, the food there is great. It’s kind of like an American pub.”

He got to his feet and  moved to give his mom a hug and a kiss on the cheek. “Thank you,” he said to her, blinking his gratitude. “For everything.”

“Yeah, thanks for talkin’ to us, Miss Diane,” Jasmine said, taking the woman’s hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. “Thanks for tellin’ us everythin’.”

“We promise we won’ say anything,” Darren quickly added.

“You’re welcome,” Diane replied as she got to her feet. “The thing is, Lance is right, y’all aren’t kids anymore. I know we can’t keep too many things from you anymore.”

Only now I have to keep this from someone I’ll most likely be working closely with for the next…months, Lance thought to himself, scratching the back of his head. He then clapped his hands together. “So, who’s hungry?” he asked.

“Free food? I’ll take it any chance I get,” Darren said as he got to his feet.

“Yeah, well maybe you should hold off on that a bit, bro,” Jasmine said with a wicked green as she practically floated to the hotel room door, smacking Darren’s stomach with the back of her hand as she passed. Darren stuck his tongue out at her back before following her.

Lance chuckled, glad there was still some sense of normalcy despite the news they had just been delivered. “I need to go to the bathroom and get my purse and I’ll meet you in the lobby,” Diane said as she got to her feet.

“Ok,” Lance replied before making his way towards the door. He pumped the handle and pulled it open, pausing before he headed out. “Hey, mom?”

“Hmmm?” Diane asked, turning to face Lance.

“Say a prayer for me, too, please?” he asked before giving her a wide, toothy smile. Diane’s shoulders dropped just slightly and she gave him a peaceful smile.

“Of course,” Diane replied.

Lance gave a nod of thanks before heading out of her room. He let out a sigh, scratching the back of his neck before hurrying towards the elevator. Darren stood with his back to the sliding doors, arms crossed over his chest. He angled his head to the side and Lance quickened his pace to a jog before stepping into the elevator.

“Thanks, man,” Lance said as he jabbed his thumb into the starred number one, before pushing his index finger into the door close button after Darren stepped into the car, leaning into the corner. Jasmine was standing at the back, chewing on her thumbnail. He had never seen her so quiet in his life. “So…yeah.”

“I can’t believe it,” Jasmine said, dropping her hand down to her side. “I just can’t believe it. It’s no wonder he’s never wanted her to do this.”

“What do you mean?” Darren asked.

“He’s afraid that, just like Miss Caroline, she won’t come back,” Lance replied, keeping his eyes on the large red number constantly changing to indicate what floor they were on.

“Oh,” Darren replied. He let out an odd laugh. “Probably wasn’t the best idea to kiss her, then.”

Lance snapped his head in his friend’s direction so fast, he would be surprised if he didn’t get whiplash. “Wait…what?” he asked. “Seriously.”

Jasmine snapped her fingers. “I knew there was somethin’ going on between the two of y’all,” she said, an excited smile coming to her face and she clasped her hands together. “It was at the pool, right? What happened?”

“Not much,” Darren replied with a shrug, sliding his hands into his jeans pockets. Jasmine let out a loud snort and Lance laughed quietly. Darren started to explain talking faster and faster as he did so. “We were just hangin’ out in the pool and then she had told me she was sweet on me, and then I said I hoped she didn’t meet other fellas with dimples and then I was kissin’ her.”

“And then what happened?” Jasmine asked, rising up on her tiptoes.

“Then nothin’,” Darren replied, removing his hand from his jeans pocket to throw his hand into the air. “I said that we were goin’ to dinner and raced her out of the pool and then all this happened.” He drew a circle in the air with his finger. A half smile came to his face. “I wouldn’ take it back, though.”

 “I can’t believe it.” Jasmine clapped her hands together in excitement. And then suddenly, it seemed like she deflated as she stood back on the flat of her feet. “Wait. But, you’ll be going back to school and she’ll be out in California.”

Darren’s eyebrows shot up, but he gave a simple nod of his head and a shrug of his shoulders. Lance suddenly realized why his friend was trying not to make it a big deal. While Darren was never one to really make his feelings for any girl a big deal, mainly because the minute jasmine got a whiff of it, she did for him. In this case, he chose to be laid back to allow Annaleigh the chance to grow up and figure out who she was as a person before getting into a relationship. With the good possibility of her being added into the *NSYNC band looming overhead, it was probably his last chance for a long while. In essence, it was a kiss goodbye.

“Well, that’s no fun,” Jasmine muttered, lowering her voice as she crossed her arms over her chest, her eyebrows knitting together just slight. Darren let out a chuckle, rolling his eyes before looping an arm around her shoulders.

“I’m sorry I just ruined your life,” he said with an amused smile. With a ding the elevator doors slid open as they reached  their destination. Darren practically pushed her out the doors.“Now go on and gossip about me with her. I know you’re just fixin’ to do so.”

“Annoying, big headed, loser,” Jasmine said as she slapped at his hands, pushing them off her shoulders. She then started to skip across the lobby until she reached her friend and looped her arm through Annaleigh’s resting her head on her shoulder.

“You’re a great friend, you know that?” Lance asked as he stepped out of the elevator, shooting out his fist to punch his friend on the shoulder.

“And don’ you forget it,” Darren replied, punching him back. “And as some sort of payment, I expect backstage passes at your show in Mississippi.” Lance let out a loud sarcastic laugh despite knowing that he would come through for his friends, anyway. He slowed his pace, glancing over in the direction of the lobby. “You know what they say, if you love somethin’ enough you should let ‘em go.”

“Yeah,” Lance agreed, shifting his gaze over to Ryan as he shifted his weight from his crutches, wrapping an arm around himself to massage the sore muscles under his arm. “I think Mister Ryan is doing the same.”


“Relax. You should be celebratin’,” Jasmine said with a smile before lifting her glass of sweet tea into the air.

“Celebratin’ what?” Annaleigh asked, eyeing the raised glass wearily. “That I haven’t puked yet?” Or they could celebrate that she was even able to keep what bites she took from her plate down.

They met up with Justin, JC, Chris, and Joey at the restaurant and proceeded to have a nice dinner in the private room reserved just for them. From the last couple of times they had traveled through Mississippi on tour, it was nice to know they were the same boys she had met back when they were putting on their showcase. They were still the nice, sweet, funny, and, of course, flirty boys she had met and that gave her some comfort. As the night went on, she found herself watching them more and how they interacted with each other.

She could be a guy just like everybody else, but she was a girl first and last. Johnny had said she’d have some women around to keep an eye on her, but she wondered if there would be any girls her age around. Probably not with how big of a deal they were making it out to be that she’d be the only girl in the band. She liked guys just like any other girl out there, but at the same time, she needed her girl time, too.

“You’d have to eat more than that to run that risk, girl,” Jasmine replied, shaking her head back and forth before her eyes darted downwards towards Annaleigh’s plate. She loudly clapped her hands together before punching the air with her fists. “Think positive. You’ve totally got this.  We’re entering the new mi-len-i-um.” She snapped her fingers with each syllable, swinging her arm from side to side as she did so. “It’s a time where it’s ok to be smart, confident, and be fabulously beautiful all at the same time.” She sat back in her chair and gave her friend a charming smile. “Join the ride.”

“Shoot!” Annaleigh said as she lifted her fork to spear her “Dirty South” meal composed of shrimp, fish, clams, greens, and grits. She slid a piece of shrimp into her mouth and started to chew it. “I never got the chance to go to Disney World.”

“Should’ve come to the beach with us,” Jasmine said in a sing song voice. “Would’ve been very romantic for you and my brother.” Annaleigh let out a short laugh of annoyance before extinguishing it with another bite of food.

“It’s perfectly fine to be nervous, Annaleigh,” Diane said, from where she was seated to her left at the end of the table. Ryan and Darren were sitting closer to the other side of the table with Lance as Justin had insisted on sitting by the older man, in awe to not only be meeting him, but to be auditioning his daughter for his backing band. JC, Joey, and Chris filled in the rest of the table, directing their attention to both ends of the table as equally as they could. “You’ve seen how nervous Lance was before his performances.”

“Remember before our showcase? He looked like a freakin’ backwards Oompa Loompa; orange hair and green face,” Joey said as he leaned back in his chair, balancing on the back two legs. “At least he didn’t throw up like Chrissy over here.” Chris stuck his tongue out at Joey, the pink muscle covered in mashed up bits of food.

“Four on the floor, please,” Diane said, barely looking in Joey’s direction as she reached for her drink.

“Yes, ma’am,” Joey said, giving Lance’s mom a charming smile as he lowered his seat to the floor.

“Ha, ha,” Chris screeched, making a face of amusement at his friend.

“And  don’t talk with your mouth full, Christopher,” Diane said, shifting her gaze over to the oldest *NSYNC member. Chris just nodded, snapping his jaws shut , resuming his chewing.

Ha ha,” Joey repeated Chris’s taunting, his nose wrinkling as he pulled a face at his friend. Chris rolled his eyes.

“Ace, I love you, and you’re my best friend, and I’ve always admired how proud ya can be,” Jasmine said, brushing her hair from one side of her neck to the other, “but you can be pretty damn stubborn ‘bout lettin’ your feelings show.”

“Like that’s anythin’ new,” Annaleigh said with a hint of a smirk. She reached for her glass of soda and took a long swig, allowing the carbonation to burn her throat all the way down. She let out an “Ahhh” and started licking her lips. “Besides, weren’ we taught that we shouldn'—“

“Ah, ah, ah,” Jasmine said, lifting a manicured finger into the air. “We were taught not ta show our anger.” Diane made a humming sound in the back of her throat, her eyebrows lifting. Annaleigh glanced over at her and Diane tilted her head in Jasmine’s direction, indicating her agreement. “There’s a difference.”

“Then, just chalk it up to it bein’ part of my charm,” Annaleigh replied. Jasmine lifted her hands as if saying “Whatever” before going back to her meal. Annaleigh reached out her hand and held it over her empty glass when a pitcher appeared out of the corner of her eye. She turned her head and gave the waiter a warm smile. “Sorry to be rude, but, I had a Coke, not tea.”

“My mistake,” the man said, pulling the pitcher back. “Just saw what was left and assumed.” He gently shook the pitcher the contents sloshing around inside. “Did you want anyway?”

“No thank ya, sir, I don’ like tea,” Annaleigh replied, removing her hand from her cup. The man nodded his head before proceeding to refill Diane’s glass.

“Wait a minute!” Chris loudly declared, giving Annaleigh an odd look.

“You’re from the South,” Chris reminded her.

“Did her accent give it away?”Joey asked, earning a snort from JC as a ripple of laughter went around the table. Chris made a face at him.

“My point is, you drink a lot of sweet tea in the south right?” Chris asked. He ignored the “that’s not being stereotypical” comment from JC, and Justin’s proud, “damn right, we do”, to add, “When you get cut don’t you, like, bleed sweet tea?”

Annaleigh sniffed before resting her elbows on the table, lacing her fingers together. She tilted her head to give him a smile. “I may bleed tea, but who said it’d be sweet?” she asked. Chris’s eyes widened slightly and Annaleigh’s smile slowly widened.

Chris blinked rapidly before he slapped his hand down on the table. “I like her!” he declared, a wide smile coming to his face. “She’ll fit in fine.”

Chris!” Justin, JC, Lance, and Joey all but yelled at the oldest band member. Justin proceeded throw a balled up napkin over at him. He let out a loud laugh, clapping his hands together when it bounced off his forehead and landed in his drink.

“Two points!” Justin cheered, punching the air with his fists. “Still got it even off the court.”

“Wait,” Annaleigh said, putting her hands in the air. She glanced down he table at her dad who lifted his beer bottle to his mouth. “What does that mean? Did I get in?”

“I guess I came at a good time then.” Johnny made his way into the room, lifting his hand in greeting. He gave the waiter, who had moved to grab an extra chair from the corner of the room, a brief shake of his head. He then locked eyes with Annaleigh. “Let me holler at you real quick.” He gave a sharp tug on the brim of his cap before motioning for her to follow him.

Annaleigh felt her eyes widen, but stayed put. Sweat prickled her armpits as they suddenly rushed with sweat as heat flooded her body. “Why? Did I do something wrong?” she asked, panic sliding into her voice. She started to twist her fingers together. “Whatever it was, I didn’ mean it.”

Johnny stared at her for a moment before he bowed his head, letting out a chuckle. “No, no, I mean, I want to talk to you,” he replied, his lips pulling back into a smile.

“Oh.” Annaleigh blinked, suddenly feeling foolish. “Well, uh, sir, with all due respect, I don’ think I’d be able to stand without my knees knockin’ together so…”

Johnny lifted his hands into the air. “Understandable.” He then set his hands down onto the backs of Chris and Jasmine’s chairs, a serious look crossing his face. “I I may, what is it that you want to accomplish with your music? Why is it so important to you?”

Annaleigh blinked at the question. Wasn’t this something they coulda asked me at the audition? She quickly started to rack her brain thinking back on it. Or maybe they already did. Oh no, maybe my nerves made ‘em think twice ‘bout me. Feeling a kick under the table, Annaleigh looked over at Jasmine who lifted her eyebrows, silently prompting her to talk. Annaleigh swallowed, looking around the table. Everybody stared back at her, waiting to hear her answer.

“Uh, sir, I want to show people what I can do,” Annaleigh replied after a moment of silence. Her words came out quiet and shaky. She sucked in a deep breath of air before letting it out. She cleared her throat and sat up straight in her seat. “I want to show people they should take chances and to go after their dreams no matter who or what gets in their way.”

“Best case scenario is that you get into the band,” Johnny explained, rubbing at his chin with his fingers, “it’s going to be tough. There’ll be a lot hard work, late night rehearsals; crazy hours, the unpredictability of touring-“

“I can handle it,” Annaleigh said to him. She made a face before quietly apologizing for interrupting him.

“Well, Little Lady, I admire your confidence,” Johnny said with a smile. “When you have it.” Annaleigh let out a nervous laugh. “If you were to be in the band, you’d be working closely with Wade Robson, our choreographer, as well as the drummer, Billy Ashbaugh.”

“Yes, sir.”

“You see, the rhythm section is the most important part of a band, it really keeps everybody together, and they keep the boys on the beat when they perform.”

“I understand,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head.

“As well, if you were to be in the group, there are to be a few rules to follow,” Johnny added. He started to count off on his fingers. “No drugs under any circumstances, and no drinking if you’re underage. Which you will be for a while.”

“Yes, sir, I turn 18 in July.”

“Ok. No romantic entanglements with any person in the band so as to keep the focus on the music which bring me to number four; the house you’ll be sharing with the boys is for work. I understand needing to blow off some steam, but it’s important that you commit to your work and put your all into it. You can’t do that if you’re distracted.”

“As well, I understand you’d still be working through your senior year of schooling at the time and this rule is simple; keep your grades up and you can perform,” Johnny concluded. “If for whatever reason you’re having trouble with your school work, we’ll work things out, we’re here to help you. Do you have any questions?” Annaleigh shook her head. “Anything else we can go over when you’re in California. As soon as the boys get back, they’ll be heading into filming their music video for Bye Bye Bye and you’ll be heading into the rehearsal space to meet the band and start preparing. Your first show will be at the AMAs.”

Johnny then held his hand out towards her, his lips parting in a wide smile. “Welcome to the *NSYNC band. Congratulations.”

End Notes:

Sorry it took so long for me to update this, but I hope you're enjoying the story so far.

Thanks for reading.

Jump Right In by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Lance worries about what this new album means for them and Annaleigh's first day of rehearsals.

~6~

January 8th, 2000
Orlando International Airport
Orlando, Florida

“Are you ok?” Lance looked up from twiddling his thumbs to look over at his band mate. JC’s eyebrows wrinkled together as a look of concern crossed his face. “You’re kind of…out of it this morning. Quiet.”

 “I’m fine…just a lot on my mind,” Lance replied with a shrug of his shoulders. JC’s eyes narrowed slightly and Lance dropped his gaze to his lap for a moment before lifting his head, looking at him. “I’m just worried about Anna.”

JC made a humming sound in the back of his throat before angling his head to look over at the newest addition to their band who was sitting beside her dad, tightly clasping his hand as they waited for their flight to be called. The flight heading back to Mississippi didn’t leave for another few hours and as such, Annaleigh had pretty much stuck to her dad’s side since they woke up that morning.

“You know we’ll make sure nothing happens to her,” JC said to his friend, slumping in his seat just slightly, crossing one leg over the other. “Sure, we’ve only met and hung out with her a handful of times, but we care about her, too.”

“I know,” Lance replied, propping his elbow up on his knee, resting his chin in his hand. “She’s just had it rough at home and I don’t want things to be too out of control for her.” He let out a short laugh. “Guess I can’t really ask for that knowing what we go through.”

“Is it that bad?” JC asked.

Lance was silent for a moment, peering over at him. “It’s something I know she’ll come to terms with eventually, but for the moment, it’s like the sky is falling for her and she’s the only thing keeping it from crushing her life,” he slowly replied. JC nodded his head. “I’d imagine it’s kind of how Chris felt having to provide for his family growing up.”

“His hard work’s paid off,” JC agreed with a shrug of his shoulders. “He enjoys making music and you and I both know his mom deserves to have that weight off her shoulders.”

“I wonder how she’ll feel having to bail him out of airport jail,” Lance said deadpan, looking over JC’s shoulder in time to spot Chris, Joey, and Justin zooming around the terminal on an airport security cart. JC turned in his seat to watch his friends before facing forward, rolling his eyes. They were all a kooky and crazy bunch, but there were times where Lance wondered (jokingly) how he was friends with any of them.

The honest answer was that they just somehow all clicked together. Being together and being a band this long it felt like a part of them was missing when they weren’t together. Even when they had time off and could spend it with their families, there was only a matter of time before they all started calling each other to know what they were doing.

JC laughed to himself, scratching the side of his jaw. Lance found himself watching his friend’s movement. From the subtle twitch of the muscles in his shoulders as he settled himself back into his seated position, to the slight squint of his blue eyes, to the long, nimble fingers that reached for his lion necklace to slide it back and forth on its chain and…to the tightness of his shirt across his chest as his crossed arms pulled on the fabric.

Lance felt an ache start to form in the center of his stomach. He swallowed repeatedly to squash it. JC must’ve thought it was an act of nervousness for he dropped the hand around his necklace and gave Lance a bright, reassuring smile. Lance quickly shifted his gaze to a spot above JC’s head, clearing his throat as he felt a ring of heat around  his shirt collar.

What is going on? I can’t be…nervous around JC. I mean…he’s JC. Lance thought to himself, tugging at the collar of his t-shirt as nonchalantly as he could. “You’re worried about something else,” JC said after a moment of silent scrutinizing.

“Uh, yeah, studio work and dancing and all,” Lance replied with a brief nod of his head.

“Relax,” JC said, waving his hand in the air. “We’re all getting back into the swing of things. Studio work is going well, we just need to put last minute touches on some things. it’ll take a little bit to get used to everything, but that’s how we all feel after a break.” He then winked in Lance’s direction. Lance pressed his lips together, fighting back the smile that was working its way onto his face. “Trust me; you’ve worked your ass off during all of this and it shows. You’re a great performer; you just need to believe that you are.”

“Thanks,” Lance replied, feeling his face grow hot.

He bowed his head for a moment before shifting his gaze to the large windows behind JC, watching as planes lined up for takeoff. The sound of the loud engine roar was muffled by the windows, but Lance could at least imagine how loud it was; loud enough to shake the thought of JC winking at him out of his head, hopefully.

“People are going to find out about Annaleigh pretty quickly you know,” JC said to him, catching his attention. “We had so many fans waiting to see us off, we’re definitely going to have them at LAX. People know who Ryan Carr is. They’ll see Annaleigh with us and eventually figure it out once word goes around.”

“I never thought of that,” Lance said with a frown.

Now boarding Delta Airlines flight 1060 to Los Angeles, California. If you have any small children travelling with you, please move to the front of the line and we’ll have you boarded shortly.

Lance got to his feet, reaching for the backpack under his seat, and pulled it up on his shoulders before making his way over to his mom to give her a big hug and a kiss on the cheek in goodbye. “Love you, mom,” he said as he gave her a tight hug, resting his chin on top of her head. “It was great to see you.”

“It was wonderful to see you, too,” Diane replied, cupping his cheeks with her hands. She looked into her “Remember what I told you.”

“I won’t tell her, mom,” Lane said, reaching up his hands to gently grasp her wrists. “I promise.” He gave Diane a gentle smile. “And I promise that I…we’ll keep an eye out for her, make sure things go ok.”

“I know you will,” Diane replied with a proud smile. “You’ve always looked out for her. I’m proud of you, you know.” Lance smiled in return and leaned down to allow her to place a kiss on his cheek. “With everythin’. Have a great tour.”

“We should be home in a couple months,” Lance said to her, letting out a sigh. “Thanks for coming out, mom.”

“Of course, sweetie,” Diane replied before taking a step away from him, dropping her hands to pull the strap to her purse up her arm. “If you need anything, any of y’all, just call.”

“I know,” Lance said, giving her another quick kiss on the cheek. “Thanks, mom. I love you.”

“I love you, too,” Diane said, patting his cheek.

Lance then turned on his heels and slapped Darren on the back. “It was great seeing ya, man,” he said before giving him a quick hug.

“Yeah, you too,” Darren replied with a nod of his head. He lifted his hands and shoved them into his jeans pockets. He then lowered his voice. “You’re not going to tell Ace what I told you, are ya?”

“What’s one more secret to keep?” Lance asked, a hint of sarcasm coming to her voice. He lifted his hand, curled his fingers into a fist and punched Darren on the shoulder. “Even though you know it’d make her happy.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Darren said, shaking his head just slightly.

“Nah, I won’t tell her, promise,” Lance said, lifting his free hand, his pointer and middle finger sticking up into the air. “It’d soften the blow for the news about her dad, but still, I won’t tell.”

“Thanks, man,” Darren said, shaking his shoulder. He let out a sigh through his nose. “So new tour, huh? Probably’ll have more girls than ever flockin’ to see y’all perform.”

“Ha, yeah,” Lance replied, letting out a weak laugh. “Joey and Chris will have a good time. And I’ll be hearing about it for days on end. Justin’s with Britney, JC is still on and off with Bobbie and I’m-”

“Free as a jay bird,” Darren replied, interrupting his friend.

“I was going to say not interested in sleeping around, but that works, too,” Lance replied with a short laugh.

“Who said anythin’ about sleeping around?” Darren asked, lifting his hand to rub it across his mouth, trying to hide his smile of amusement. “Jus’ take the time to get to know a girl. Can’t remember the last time you’ve been out on a date.”

Lance opened and closed his mouth. It had been a long time since he had been on a date. Last real date he remembered was going to homecoming with his friend, Lacey. He had a good time with her…whenever he wasn’t thinking about the fact that Lynn Harless and Justin Timberlake had called to get him to try out for *NSYNC. Lacey didn’t seem to mind, she was having enough fun at the dance. That was back before he was even in *NSYNC. Since then, he’d hung out on group dates with his friends, or just focused on his work a lot.

When he did date, he was considered to be a “safe date.” He never tried anything; he’d give nothing more than a quick kiss on the cheek at the end of the night, but nothing more. Sure, it had made him popular, but he was simply raised that way. He treated girls the way he wanted boys out there to treat his sister.

“Yeah, it’s been a while,” Lance finally answered and Darren elbowed him in the side. Lance held his hand out towards Darren and his friend slapped his palm with his own. “I’ll see you in a couple of months.”

“Yeah, if Ace doesn’t kill all y’all,” Darren replied and Lance let out a laugh.

“Definitely,” Lance replied right before Jasmine careened into his side, to give him a hug. “I’ll miss you, too, Jazzy.”

“Ace’s dad just gave her a credit card. A credit card! She gets to go on a fancy shopping trip in Beverly Hills,” Jasmine said, brushing her hair back behind her ears, rolling her Rs, “and I’m stuck buying outfits at the Gap.” She widened her hazel eyes. “Mom and dad never game a credit card.”

“That’s ‘cause you kept runnin’ over your limit on your debit card,” Darren replied, crossing his arms over his chest. He then pointed a finger at her and poked the tip of her nose. Jasmine made a face before slapping his hand away. “Don’ forget, little sister, you still owe me 46 bucks.”

“You’ll get it, don’ worry,” Jasmine replied, her voice lifting in its pitch just slightly.

“You owe me 20,” Lance added and Jasmine threw her hands into the air.

“I ain’t made of money,” she said as the two boys started laughing. “You’ll get it. Eventually.” Her eyes widened in innocence. “I have stuff I need to buy. Like dance shoes…and snacks. A girl’s gotta eat.”

“Yeah, like a horse,” Annaleigh commented, draping her arm around her friend’s shoulder.

“Watch it, girlie,” Jasmine said with a mocking warning tone. “If you’re not nice to me, I won’t be nice enough to let you buy me something in California.” Annaleigh rolled her eyes, but let out a laugh.

“Excuse me,” Lance said, shuffling around his friends before making his way over to Annaleigh’s father. “Uh, excuse me, Mr. Carr.”

“I’ve told you, Lance, you can call me Ryan,” Ryan said with a half smile, bringing himself up to his full height, setting his forearms on the tops of his crutches. He let out a long sigh through his nose. “Diane told me that she told y’all ‘bout…you know.”

“I promise I won’t tell Annaleigh,” Lance said, putting his hands up defensively as he let out a sigh of relief. Ryan nodded his head. “I don’t want you to think that I think differently of you or anything like that.” The older man’s eyebrows crinkled slightly but he didn’t say anything for a moment.

“Just make sure my baby stays safe,” Ryan said, his voice barely above a whisper. “You and I both know how this business is run. I just don’t want anything to happen to her.” Lance opened his mouth to answer but Ryan kept going. “Her mother…I don’ know where she is…but, trust me when I say that she’s goin’ to find out about this, and I don’ know what she’ll do…or say if they get in contact.”

“I promise you, all five of us, six including Johnny, have her best interest at heart,” Lance said, briefly placing his hand on Ryan’s shoulder. “JC has a lawyer in the family, he looked over our new contracts and the ones we used for anyone that wanted to audition. It’s good.”

“I know, I had my lawyer look over it as well,” Ryan replied before he lifted his hand and ran it over his face and forehead. “Thank you, James. Honestly, I don’ know where Annaleigh would be without ya.”

Lance rubbed the back of his neck, feeling a little uncomfortable. He shifted his weight from foot to foot before shrugging his shoulders. “She’s my best friend, so…” he said, allowing his sentence to trail off at the end.

“I guess I should’ve known she never woulda given up this music thing, huh?” Ryan asked, with a small laugh, his lips pulling back into a half smile.

“Mister Ryan,” Lance said, crossing his arms over his chest, rocking back and forth on his heels, “for as long as I can remember, Anna has used my bedroom window to gain access into my home.” Ryan blinked once, twice, three times and Lance made a popping sound with his mouth. “Which I’m assuming you didn’t know about. She used the front door, too.”

“Knowing my mom, she wasn’t too happy about it, despite knowing that there’s absolutely nothing going on between the two of us, and despite the constant ‘Next time use the front doors’, she kept using the window because that’s how stubborn she is.” Lance lifted half of his mouth up into a smile. “If she was that stubborn about that, you were never going to get her away from music.”

“Yeah, I guess not,” Ryan agreed. “Take care of yourself out there. All y’all.”

“We’ll do our best,” Lance replied, reaching for Ryan’s hand. Ryan slipped his hand into Lance’s and shook it, using his free hand to clap him on the shoulder. “Hang in there, sir.”

“You, too.” Ryan nodded his head. “You boys truly are doin’ amazing things with your music.”

“I appreciate it,” Lance said. He lifted his hand in a parting wave before joining his band mates and best friends to the line of people waiting to be put on the plane. He walked over to Annaleigh who was twisting one of her bag straps in her hands. “You ready?”

“I think,” Annaleigh replied, nodding her head repeatedly. “Yes—no-kinda? My stomach is in knots—but I also feel butterflies—I kind of feel sick too—but, I’m good.”

“And here I thought turning green meant you were jealous,” Joey commented, lifting his hand to place on Annaleigh’s forehead. “Are you sure you’re ok?”

“Just…” Annaleigh trailed off for a moment, looking back at the family she was leaving behind. She then swallowed and looked back at *NSYNC. “Do you miss bein’ home?”

“All the time,” Justin replied with a nod of his head and a shrug of his shoulders. “At first I had my Ma with me, if you remember, but I’m missing home more now that you’re here.” Annaleigh gave him a confused look. “Your accent.”

“Ahhh, I see,” Annaleigh replied, nodding her head.

“Figure you’d have to have problems with your family or something if you didn’t miss it after you leave,” JC added, scratching the side of his jaw. “Your family’s always going to be there, you know?”

“You really didn’t know about your dad’s band?” Chris asked, tilting his head to the side.

“Not a thing,” Annaleigh replied, with a shake of her head. “I mean I knew a few of his songs, but never thought too much ‘bout it.” She shrugged her shoulders. “Why?”

“Just find it kind of weird, honestly,” Chris replied with a shrug.

“Yeah, I mean, his band was pretty big,” Justin added. He tilted his chin back and glanced up at the ceiling of the airport. “I think I have one of his albums around somewhere if you want to check it out.”

“That’d be awesome, Justin,” Annaleigh said with a smile. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Justin replied. “You’re from the Mississippi, you know as well as I do that family is important. The way I see it, you’ve been a part of the *NSYNC family since I met you. I always said Lance’s friends are my friends.”

“Y’all are too nice,” Annaleigh said with a shake of her head. “I guess now I can see why all those girls throw themselves atcha.”

“It’s not like we’re ugly,” Chris said with a snort.

“That’s debatable,” Annaleigh shot back and Chris’s eyebrows shot up.

“Ouch,” Justin said with a loud, obnoxious laugh, slapping Chris on the back as the others jostled him.

“Barely been in the band and you’re already raggin’ on Chris,” Lance said, looping his arm around Annaleigh’s shoulders. “You’ll fit in just fine. You have nothing to worry about.”

“That’s right! It’s going to be a god damn party, baby!” Joey cheered, punching the air with his fist before reaching for the earring in his ear. He started spinning it between his fingers. “Finishing up our album, nominations for the AMAs, working our way towards tour, and all with an old friend.”

Lance felt tired just hearing about it already. He enjoyed doing press and photo shoots, but they took so long to do. It was always a daylong event, sometimes two days as they spent the whole weekend doing pictures of magazine after magazine, website after website, and much more.

 Doing all of that around finishing recording their album, which they were scheduled to finish in about three weeks. It was all just stacking on top of each other. It was already making him so exhausted, but he was excited at the same time. They were finally making the album they wanted to make. They were calling the shots. And one of his best friends was coming along for the ride.

Joey was right, they were free.

Lance lifted his hand into the air, letting out a, “Whoohoo.”

Joey then put a hand over his mouth, eyes widening. “Whoops, sorry,” he said, his eyes twinkling in Annaleigh’s direction. “ I said, ‘God damn’.”

“Shoot, whoever told you you’re funny…you aint,” Annaleigh said, sitting up. Joey’s eyes popped open, and his jaw dropped as JC threw his head back, letting out a loud laugh.

“I like her,” Joey said, pointing his finger in her direction. “I think she’ll make a great addition to the group.” Annaleigh gave a bright toothy smile.

“So do I,” Lance replied.

“And Joey and Chris are helpin’ keep me sane,” Annaleigh said, reaching out a hand to pinch Joey’s cheeks. He made a face, batting her hands away. “You guys are fun. I can see why y’all are so close.”

“Yup, just like husband and wife,” Justin said with a nod of his head. “Nah, we’re like brothers. We get on each other’s nerves, but I know they’ll have my back no matter what.”

“That’s right, brother,” Lance replied, lifting his hand, curling his fingers into a fist. Justin smiled, bumping his fist with his own.

“Aren’t y’all nervous though?” Annaleigh asked as the line shifted forward. They got their boarding passes ready to pass over to the attendant.

“You have no idea,” Lance replied, letting out a sigh as Justin, JC, Joey, and Chris muttered their agreement.

They all were, whether or not they wanted to show it. It was their first single release after everything that had happened with Lou. It was funny, they had all just wanted to forget Lou and forget what he had done to them, but no matter how hard they tried he kept popping back up.

First album after Lou.

First single after Lou.

First concert after Lou.

When it all came down to it, everything was because of him. They would never have had Johnny Wright as their manager without him. They wouldn’t have kick started their careers in Germany. They wouldn’t have anything if Lou Pearlman hadn’t seen something special in them. They all knew that they wouldn’t be as successful without Lou, and they all knew that he would probably be brought up in every interview from here on out.

Lance was brave enough to rip up his check from his ex-boss that day, but despite how badly he felt, he knew that Chris had to have felt a million times worse. If it wasn’t for him, *NSYNC wouldn’t be around. Justin and JC were the leaders of the group, but no one could deny that the group, in a way, was made for Chris.

“You ok?” JC asked, hitting Lance’s shoulder.

“Yeah, I’m good,” Lance replied, trying to ignore the slight burning he felt in that area. He gave the woman behind the counter a smile as he handed her his boarding pass. He turned around to wave goodbye to his mom and friends, just as Annaleigh did. He then reached out his hand and took hers, giving it a gentle squeeze. “Come on. I’m right here.”

Annaleigh smiled and together they boarded the plane.

“I’m goin’ to find ya a girlfriend,” Annaleigh said, to him, swinging their hands back and forth. “Unless ya bein’ friends with Jazzy and I are chasing’ them all away.” Lance blinked in surprise at the sudden change in topics. He gave her a confused look and she gave him a smile. “So you can stop messing’ with my love life. I know you know.”

“And?” he prompted.

“It was nice?”Annaleigh asked, making a face for a brief moment. “I mean, it wasn’t just nice, it was…better than I ever thought it’d be. Anyway, I don’t know. He’s not courtin’ me or anythin’.” She then let out a sigh. “Anyway, he did’ bring it up, but dad gave me a purity ring. I don’ know if he knows but—“

“Don’t do that,” Lance interrupted her with a shake of his head. “Don’t act like that’s not a big deal. You’ve only held a torch for the guy for, like, ever.”

“Yeah, well,” Annaleigh said with a shrug, using her free hand to grasp at the chain around her neck. She spotted him looking and pulled the ring out from under her shirt. “One of dad’s stipulations for lettin’ me leave. He said he was goin’ to give it to me on my birthday, but…”

“He’s just worried,” Lance replied. He doesn’t want you to get hurt. Not by him or anybody else. His fingers twitched and he pressed his lips together. He wanted to tell her what his dad told him, he wanted to tell her why her family had fallen apart, but he knew that it wasn’t his place. “You know how your dad is; he just wants what’s best for you. He’s not entirely old fashioned, but still.”

As her best friend, he wanted to protect her as much as he could, and he knew that she’d go nuclear on him if she found out that he knew about it ahead of time. As a long time friend of her family, he also knew that Ryan Carr was a proud man and wouldn’t want anyone but him or his wife to break the news to her.

“You can’t wait around for him forever,” Lance said, changing the subject back to their previous topic. “Seriously, Ace. I think you like him more now that he was there for you after everything with your mom.” He paused for a moment, gently squeezing her hand. “What happened with your mom? You never told me.”

“Went to help D pack up to head down to UMiss,” Annaleigh replied, “and when I got back, all her stuff was gone. Not much more to it than that. No note or anythin’. Wasn’t ‘till a couple days later she finally called to apologize to me.”

She pursed her lips for a moment. “For a while, I thought it was my fault. Like there was something’ I was doin’ wrong. But, then I couldn’t’ think of anythin’ and it really hit me that it could really jus’ be them. Thing is, I couldn’t begin to believe that they jus’ fell out of love with each other, ‘cause I know they still do. God must have a different plan for them then I thought.”

“Everything happens for a reason,” Lance said, patting the spot beside him. Annaleigh moved to lie down beside him. “You’ve got home here, so it’s not too bad.”

“You’re the best, James,” Annaleigh said quietly before poking him in the side. “I’m still goin’ to find you a girlfriend.”

Lance closed an eye, wincing slightly. “You don’t have to do that,” he said quietly.

He loudly cleared his throat before turning his head to look at her. Just tell her. She’s your best friend. Heat rushed up his body and he could feel his armpits prickle and flood with sweat. He opened his mouth, but no sound came out. What would she say? How would she react?

Annaleigh suddenly let go of his hand, shuffling into a single file line to get on the plane. “Just pray for me,” she said to him.

“Sure,” Lance replied with a nod of his head. Pray for me, too. Long and hard.

 


 

January 9th, 2000
ABC Rehearsals
Los Angeles, California

Annaleigh adjusted the strap to her guitar case, rubbing at the sore spot on her shoulder as she made her way through the halls of the rehearsal building, looking for the door to take her through to the rehearsal space she was supposed to be at…

She glanced at her watch, letting out a sigh. “Ten minutes ago,” she said, tilting her head back to let out a loud groan at the ceiling. “First day and I’m ten minutes late. Perfect, Ace, you sure did nail this one. You’re really provin’ yourself right now.” She made a face as she jumped at the spot she was standing at, briefly readjusting the weight of her backpack on her back.

She was going to get an earful from Johnny she just knew it. He had gone on and on about how important and expensive not only studio time but time in general was, as well how important it was to not be late for anything. “If you’re not ten minutes early, you’re ten minutes late,” he said over and over again. Now she was like, a half hour late by his standards or something to that effect.

And she hated being late.

Annaleigh stopped at a four way in the hall and slowly turned a circle, throwing her arms up in the air. “Heavenly father, help me find the way,” she called towards the ceiling, raking her fingers frustratingly through her hair.

Uh, are you A.C.?” Annaleigh turned around, doing another quick circle, until she came face to face with a brown haired boy walking towards her, practically doubled over from the large black case on his back. “Are you? The new bass player? For *NSYNC?”

“You mean Ace?” Annaleigh asked, her eyebrows shooting up.

“Yeah, that sounds right,” the boy replied, giving a half smile, a dimple appearing in his cheek. “Sorry, I’m not great with names.”

“That’s ok,” Annaleigh replied, offering her hand towards him. “I’m Annaleigh Carr; my friends call me Ace.”

“Cool, I’m Gabriel Hamilton,” he said, managing to offer Annaleigh his hand, and shake it. He gently squeezed her hand as he did so. “But, I don’t know anyone that calls me that anymore.” He gave a lopsided smile. “You can call me Gabe.”

“And that is….?” Annaleigh asked, pointing towards the giant case on his back. Gabriel let out a sigh as he straightened, practically dropping the case to the floor. He briefly closed his eyes before reaching his hands back to massage his back muscles.

“Keyboard,” Gabriel replied, scrunching up his facial features  before his shoulders slumped. “Something came up with their old player, um…Dave, I think. So…here I am.”

“Yeah, I’m replacing’ someone too,” Annaleigh replied. “Obviously.” She lifted her hands in the air. “Unfortunately, I’m late and I don’ have a clue on where to go.”

“Oh, it’s over here,” Gabriel said, nodding his head down the hall. He gave a half smile. “I got a tour the other day.”

Annaleigh mentally kicked herself. I should’ve thought of that, she thought with a frown, briefly wrinkling her nose. “Lead the way.” A grunt slipped past Gabriel’s lips as he lifted the keyboard back up onto his body. After he took the time to steady himself, Annaleigh followed Gabriel over the carpeted walkway and up to a large, heavy door. Annaleigh could hear the muffled cacophony of drums, guitar, keyboard, and saxophones from the other side.

Take a deep breath, it’s now or ever, Annaleigh thought to herself as Gabriel reached for the door handle. He pumped the handle and pulled the door open, making his way inside. Annaleigh held the door open for him and followed him inside.

The room didn’t have any windows, and was one giant block of gray. It looked like whatever made up the floor was plastered all over the walls. She could guess for acoustics or sound proofing or something to that effect. Annaleigh tucked her hair behind her ear when everybody else in the room stopped what they were doing. She instantly spotted Johnny sitting off to the side in a fold out chair.

“You’re late,” Johnny said as he got to his feet.

He removed his cap and scratched the back of his head. He slowly shook his head back and forth before running his hand over his face. Annaleigh pressed her lips together, angling her head down towards the floor, peeking over at Gabriel out of the corner of her eye. He cringed, chewing on his bottom lip.

“Sorry, Mister Johnny,” Annaleigh said, shifting her head upwards to look him in the eye. “I know how important punctuality is to you, sir. I take full responsibility and I apologize.”

“And mine, sir,” Gabriel spoke up. “Ace looked lost and didn’t know where she was going. And there was a lot of traffic and…yeah.”

Johnny briefly closed his eyes before allowing a hint of a smile on his face.”I appreciate it, but you can call me Johnny,” he said to the two of them. “You don’t have to call me ‘sir’.” He clasped his hands together. “I’ll let it slide this time considering it is the first rehearsal for the two of you, but just remember that we have little time before the AMAs. But, now that both of you are here, I can introduce you to everybody.”

Johnny swung his arm out to indicate the other three men in the room. “Ok, first we have Kevin Antunes,” Johnny explained. The African American man nodded his head, giving a two-fingered salute.”He is not only one of the keyboardists, but he’s also the musical director. All credit goes to this main man, here. You’ll report to him each day and let him know if you’re going to be late, if you have to miss rehearsal—which I hope you don’t—what have you. He knows his stuff.”

“And this over here is Billy Ashbaugh; the drummer.” He motioned towards Annaleigh. “You two will be the backbone of the *NSYNC band, the driving force. It’s really important that you two keep things steady, and keep everyone on the beat.”

“Yes, sir,” Annaleigh replied, nodding her head. “I mean, Johnny. Sorry.”

“On guitar, we have Ruben Ruiz. Some of the guys here play the saxophones and trumpet but we also have some musicians on standby for when we go on tour,” Johnny continued to explain. Johnny nodded towards Gabriel. “You’ll be backing Kevin in this group, so you two will be working close together as well. And everybody, this is Annaleigh Carr who will be playing bass, and Br—“

“Gabe,” Gabriel interrupted Johnny, shifting his weight from foot to foot. “Gabe Hamilton.”

Johnny gave a slight nod of his head. “My apologies,” Johnny said, clapping him on the shoulder. Gabriel’s upper lip curled just slightly as he was shaken just slightly from the movement.

“And this is Wade Robson,” Johnny said, angling his head to the side.

Annaleigh looked around the room, wondering where this Wade Robson guy was, before blinking in surprise when a young boy, who was sitting in front of the drum set, go to his feet. She blinked in surprise, and quickly exchanged a look of disbelief with Gabriel, before she put her attention back on Wade, looking him over. If it wasn’t for his facial hair, she had to have guessed that he couldn’t be a day older 16.

“He’s *NSYNC’s choreographer and you guys will be working closely together. He wanted to meet you two before heading over to the video shoot.”

“Nice to meet you,” Wade said, giving the two of them a smile. “Welcome to the family. Can’t wait to see what you bring to the table but I have to get going to help Darren Henson, the other choreographer, with the video.” Annaleigh felt her lips pull own in the corner when she heard the familiar name. I wonder what everyone’s doing right now. She knew she’d be in school and on that note was happy she wasn’t currently there.

Wade lifted his hand and ran his fingers through his brown and blonde hair. “After the video shoot is done, we’ll be working on the AMAs rehearsals together. It’s also the day Bye Bye Bye is premiered as a single so it’s going to be a great show.”

“No pressure there,” Gabriel muttered under his breath.

“Who’re you telling’?” I replied. Wade gave us one last smile before he made his way out of the room.

Johnny seemed to take his lead and loudly clapped his hands together. “Alright, we’ve all got a lot of work to do. I’ll leave you all to it.” Johnny smiled, rubbing his hands together before making his way out of the room.

“Yeah, thanks,” Annaleigh said as Gabriel shifted his weight from foot to foot. Johnny let out a sigh through his nose before turning back around to face

“Relax, have fun,” Johnny said, his serious business-like voice, softening to one of empathy and compassion. “You’re great, both of you. Just remember that it’s your first day; you have a lot of days ahead of you to get things down as perfectly as you want it to be. They’ll help you out with everything you need. Ok?”

“Thanks, Johnny,” Gabriel said, his dimple reappearing as he smiled.

“Thank ya, sir,” I added. Johnny opened his mouth to correct me but decided to keep his mouth shut. Instead he gave a half smile before lifting his hand in the air to bid farewell to the other band members before heading out of the room.

“You two can set up over here,” Billy said, waving his hand in an empty space near the end portion of the arc that the musicians made. As Annaleigh made his way over to the area, Billy got up from his drum set, setting his sticks down onto the snare drum.  He offered her his hand and Annaleigh slipped her tiny hand into his, shaking it. He then turned her hand over to look at her palm, letting out a short laugh as she bent to the side to remove her guitar from her shoulder. “Do you play with a pick or do you fingerpick?”

“Fingerpick,” Annaleigh replied as he let go of her hand. She wiggled her backpack off of her shoulders and set it down before removing her bass from its case. “Why?”

“Because you barely have any calluses,” Billy replied. “Your fingers are going to burn. I’d suggest using a pick every once in a while, until you think you’re ready to go through ten…maybe thirteen songs. You’d be playing an upwards of two…maybe three hours judging on intermission. I mean, the boys get some breaks for wardrobe changes and everything, but we still have to entertain the crowd.”

“Three hours?” Annaleigh asked, feeling her eyes pop open. “Shoot, you ain’t lyin’ are ya?”

“Have you ever been to a concert?” Billy asked, turning his head to the side just slightly.

“Well…yeah,” Annaleigh replied, nodding her head. “Reba McEntire and Trace Adkins. It did’ feel like gosh darn three hours when I was there, though.” Billy let out a good natured chuckle.

“That’s the point; shows are supposed to make you forget everything else. But, don’t worry, if you’re anything like your dad, you’ll work it out no problem,” Billy said as he showed her over to where she could plug her bass into an amp. There was already a chord sitting on top of the box. Annaleigh made a noise in the back of her throat. “What?”

“Guess I jus’ didn’ realize how…successful he was,” Annaleigh replied, slowly setting her bass to the floor, unzipping it. “My dad, I mean.” I can’t believe I never knew about him and Oathkeeper. We tell each other everything. He loves music as much as I do; so what was it that made him try and keep me away from it? She looked over at Billy and saw the look of surprise on his face. “It’s surprising’ I know.”

“Wait…” Billy said slowly, his eyes narrowing just slightly. “You don’t think you got in just because of your dad, do you? You got in because of your talent.” He nodded his head back to the rest of the band. “We all heard the audio of your audition. You were great.”

“Uh-huh,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head. “I know.” She plugged one end of the chord into her bass and the other into the amp, flicking it on. A low hum filled the air before she adjusted the knobs of the amp, setting them to the levels perfect for her before testing the sound by plucking a string. She then turned to face him, sitting down on top of the amp, giving him a smile. “This is all jus’ happenin’ so fast. I mean, I’ve always wanted an opportunity like this, but I never thought what I’d do if I got it.”

“Well, answer me this…why did you want to try out in the first place?” Billy asked, lifting his foot to rest it beside her on the amp. “Why is this important to you?”

Because I wanted to get as far away from home drama as possible, Annaleigh thought to herself before giving an odd twitch of her head. Now that I’m here…I just want to be sure dad’s ok. With the money, we’d be better off…so what’s the real reason? And mom and dad aren’t even around to fight with each other. Why’d you want to leave home so badly? She already knew the answer to that: for a while, all she wanted to know was what had gone wrong with their relationship, if it was her fault, or something they had done. Now that they weren’t together and now that she was older…she knew the bomb would drop eventually. And whatever it was, whatever was so bad that it split them up, she didn’t think she really was ready to know.

“Because I want to see what this is all about,” Annaleigh replied, waving her hand in the air. “Seems like a pretty big adventure. If you knew me as a kid, you’d know that that’s what I always wanted to do; go on adventures.”

Billy twisted his mouth to the side in an amused smile. He reached up his hand to run his fingers through his bleached blonde hair. “I see,” he commented, slowly nodding his head. “I think you’ll fit in well.”

“I thank ya kindly,” Annaleigh replied with a smile and a nod of her head. She then looked over in Gabriel’s direction, where he was talking with Kevin as he set up his keyboard. “What do you know ‘bout Gabe?”

“Not much,” Billy replied with a shake of his head. “Just know that he’s covering on such short notice.” He gave a shrug. “Good enough to get in; like you.”

“Are we going to get a chance to play at all, today?” Ruben asked with a short laugh, playing a quick succession of notes on his guitar. “I’m ready to go.”

“Alright, alright,” Kevin said, waving his hand in the air. “First, I’d like to welcome you two to the *NSYNC band. We’re excited that you’ll be working with us, and putting together a good show for the boys. Just like Johnny said, we’ll be working closely with Wade and the boys, as well as their music producers to get an idea of the songs, and how we’ll be performing them. It’ll be a lot of hard work as it gets closer to the album release date, but for now, we’ll just be working on Bye Bye Bye mainly, and their older songs.”

“We all know the older songs well, but Gabe and Annaleigh, just work through them as best as you can,” Kevin explained.

He crossed the room to his pile of bags and pulled out two, thick binders. Annaleigh took it in her hand, blinking in surprise when she felt how heavy it actually was. She started flipping through the pages: I Want You Back, I Drive Myself Crazy, I Thought She Knew, Here We Go, and on and on. And there’d be more songs as soon as the album was finished.

“Here’s your sheet music. Eventually, we’d like you to be off the books, but even then, sometimes we need to read off our music since we have so many changes to things. We like to have fun, we like to have fun when we’re performing, but don’t come in here without practicing, because I’ll know. It’s not just hurting yourself, it’s hurting everybody here and it’s hurting the boys, because then we’ll be spending too much time catching everybody up. Just practice, ask for help if you need it, and let us know if you’re going to be late or missing rehearsal as soon as you know that you will. That’s all I ask.”

Shoot, you’re also askin’ for an arm and a leg, Annaleigh thought to herself, continue flipping through the pages. At least he was asking politely.

“Alright, we’ll start with…I Want You Back,” Kevin said as he reached into his bag for a second time, producing a large CD case. Annaleigh looked around the room, spotting the stereo system she hadn’t noticed was there before. “Let’s bring some energy into this place.” He loudly clapped his hands together. Annaleigh flipped through the pages to find the song, “We’ll listen to it first; mime along to the song to get a feel for it.”

Moments later, Justin’s familiar vocals filled the gray room.

You're all I ever wanted
You're all I ever needed, yeah
So tell me what you do now
Cause (I, I, I, I, I,) I want you back

It's hard to say I'm sorry
It's hard to make the things I did undone
A lesson I've learned too well, for sure
So don't hang up the phone now
I'm trying to figure out just what to do
I'm going crazy without you

You're all I ever wanted
You're all I ever needed, yeah
So tell me what to do now
When I want you back

The bass line was pretty simple, luckily, repeating itself a lot of the times, as well as lining up with the bass drum hits from Billy. Annaleigh never really understood too well what it meant to have bass players and drummers work well together. When it was time for her to actually start playing, she was practically shaking. Billy was the one that was really keeping her in time. Her nerves and rapidly beating heart made her fingers twitch, and she had to fight the urge to speed through the song just to finish as fast as she could.

That’s not to say she didn’t make any mistakes. Billy wasn’t kidding; her fingers were already starting to feel the burn and she had barely done anything. Although, to make up for anything she messed up on, she made it a point to force out the notes and the rhythm, plucking the strings harder and harder. She was sure she was going to get blisters out of it; but that was the beginning formation of calluses from what she understood.

She was lucky she could even bend her fingers by the end of rehearsal.

“Good job, kid,” Billy said, thumping Annaleigh’s shoulder with his fist, his drumsticks smacking the back of her head. “You’ve got natural talent like I said.” He took his drumsticks in both hands and played a quick roll on her arm. “See you tomorrow.”

“Bye,” Annaleigh laughed as she started to pack up her stuff. She let out a sigh, suddenly realizing how tired she was. She reached into her pocket for her phone and pressed a button on the side to check to see what time it was. She made a groaning sound in the back of her throat as she reached for her backpack, lifting it off the ground to place on her shoulder. “Wow, I didn’t’ know it had gotten that late.”

“Better get used to it,” Gabriel commented, with a short laugh as he shook out the cover for his keyboard. “Help me with this?” Annaleigh nodded her head, setting her bass up against the amp. “You did a great job today.”

“Thanks,” Annaleigh replied, reaching for the other end of the cover. She lifted it off the floor and moved it to cover the keyboard. “You’re not bringin’ this home with ya?”

“After lugging it all the way over here? Fat chance,” Gabriel replied, rolling his hazel eyes. He lifted his hand and scratched at the back of his head, closing one eye. Annaleigh felt herself smile as she watched him. “What?”

“Nothing,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug, trying to hold back her smile. “It’s…my dad kinda does the same thin’…that’s all.” She felt her face heat up as the words came out of her mouth, her shoulders dropping slightly. “Guess I miss home more than I thought.”

“Where are you from?” Gabriel asked. He shook his hair out of his face before quickly adding, “Just curious.”

“Mississippi,” Annaleigh replied, turning back towards her guitar, pulling the amp chord out of the end.

“Well, that explains your accent,” Gabriel commented and Annaleigh snorted.

“Clinton to be more precise,” she explained. “Lance and I are old friends. I’ve known him since I was about seven. He was like the brother I never had; helpful, annoying’, but I could always trust ‘im.”

“Oh, you’re an only child?” Gabe asked, his eyebrows shooting up. “So’m I.” His mouth twitched. “After my dad pretty much ran out on my mom even before I was born; it’s basically just been the two of us.”

Annaleigh paused, blinking rapidly. That sounds familiar, she thought to herself, darting out her tongue to lick at her suddenly dry lips. “That sucks,” she commented, wrapping the cord around her hand before setting it on top of the amp. “I know the feeling’; my mom’s not ‘round much as of late.”

“Oh…I’m sorry,” Gabriel said from behind her.

“Thank you,” Annaleigh replied, keeping her gaze on her task at hand; putting her bass guitar in its case. “It’s hard sometimes, but we’re gettin’ through it. Same with you and your mom, I s’pose?” She then hauled her case onto her shoulder, turning around to face him. Her eyes suddenly popped open and she put a hand over her mouth. “Oh my stars, I didn’t’ mean that—well, I guess I did—don’ answer if ya don’ wan to—but, I’m kinda curious—jus’ ignore me—or answer—I don’ know why I asked. I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok,” Gabriel replied with a small laugh, putting his hands up defensively. “People always said I’m easy to talk to. That’s not a loaded question or anything; it’s fine.” Annaleigh got to her feet, reaching for her thick binder of music, sliding it, as well as she could, into the side pocket of her case. She could instantly feel the weight difference on her back as she made her way towards the door, letting out a yawn. Gabriel fell into step beside her. “Yeah, things were pretty rough for a few years, but it’s ok. It’s fine; I mean you get it.”

“Yeah, that’s true,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head. They made their way towards the front of the building. “So where are you from? Where are you staying?”

“I’m from New York,” Gabriel explained, lifting his hand to brush his hair back from his face. “And while I’m out here, I’m stayin’ in an apartment just outside of LA. Mom would only let me do it because I’m almost 18. I turn 18 the last week of June.”

“Oh my stars, I turn 18 in the middle of July,” Annaleigh said with a smile. “So we’ll more than likely be celebrating’ on the road.” Her nose wrinkled slightly. “That kind of stinks for our parents though, huh?”

Gabriel let out a chuckle. “Yeah, I know what you mean,” he replied before fishing into his pocket. “Hey, look, do you have a ride back to…” He paused for a moment before waving his hand in the air. “Wherever it is that you’re staying?”

“I’m stayin’ with the boys, I have a driver comin’ to get me,” Annaleigh explained, jerking her thumb over her shoulder. She then put her hands up defensively. “Not to sound like a diva or anythin’ like that.”

“Take it where you can get it, I s’pose we’ll all get that treatment sooner or later,” Gabriel said with a brief twitch of his eyebrow, an easy going smile coming to his face. “You mind if I wait with you? Just to make sure you get picked up.” He slid his hands into his jeans pockets. “Only if you want.”

“I thank ya, kindly,” Annaleigh replied with a smile and Gabriel shrugged. “Sure.”

End Notes:
I had a burst of inspiration to update this one again so here's the next chapter.
Second Thoughts by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Aftermath of Annaleigh's first day.

~7~

“You need to eat something.”

“I’m too tired to eat.” Annaleigh was surprised anyone would be able to decipher her words from the way her mouth was mashed up against the wooden table top at the* NSYNC house. She groaned when she felt a warm cup being gently pushed, repeatedly, into her nose. “Stop.” 

“The hot chocolate will keep you awake long enough to eat something, hon.” JC made a clicking sound with his tongue as he continued to care for her blisters. She merely winced, letting out a low “Owwww” as he placed a light layer of gauze on her freshly popped blisters before wrapping them with a bandage. “Sorry.”

Annaleigh mustered a weak glare over at Joey as he used his finger tips to press the mug into her nose one last time. With a sigh, Annaleigh removed her face from the wood—the movement stinging slightly as she unstuck her face from the condensation sealing from her breath—and used her free and freshly bandaged hand to grasp the mug. Lifting it towards her mouth, she quickly stuck out her tongue and dipped it in the hot beverage before taking a long sip. 

The warm aroma of chocolate swirled around her nose, the steam hitting her in the face. The hot liquid sloshed around in her mouth before sliding down her throat and into her stomach, warming her chest cavity. She let out a sigh through her nose as she smiled, feeling a little bit more wide awake than she was a second ago. Whether there actually was caffeine in the drink and it was waking her up, or she was going along with the thought of there being some in a sort of placebo effect, she didn’t know or care to know in that moment.

“I’ll have a tuna melt ready for you faster than you can blink,” Lance said as he moved around the kitchen. 

“I don’t like tuna melts,” Annaleigh said, resting her chin in her hand. Lance blinked, his eyes narrowing just slightly.

“Since when?” he asked. 

Annaleigh shrugged her shoulders. “Couple years ago,” she replied. Lance’s eyebrows twitched just slightly before he set his elbows down onto the table, across from her.

“Grilled cheese?” he asked and Annaleigh shook her head. “Panini? BLT?” At each suggestion, Annaleigh shook her head and Lance made a humming sound in the back of his throat. He bowed his head for a moment before looking back up at her. Her stomach twisted just slightly when she saw just a hint, or maybe in her tired stupor, disappointment. “You still like jelly beans?” 

“Love ‘em,” Annaleigh replied.

Not only was it her guilty pleasure, but it was comfort food for her as well. Unhealthily so. She had often heard comments and jokes about her being addicted to the candy. Some girls loved chocolate, she loved jelly beans. For as long as she could remember, not only was it the cheapest thing she could afford as a kid when given permission to buy what she wanted from the local store, but her grandparents always had a big bowl of jelly beans waiting for her whenever she visited. 

“She’s not eating jelly beans for dinner,” JC said to Lance, pausing in wrapping the last band-aid around Annaleigh’s fingers.

“I was just asking,” Lance said, his vocal tone lifting just slightly in defense. 

“Man, both of you are acting more like her parents,” Joey sad shaking his head back and forth. He ran his hands over his face before reaching back to pull in the brim of his backwards cap. “Don’t worry, Annaleigh, I’ll have a cheese steak sandwich ready for you faster than you can say Sei molto gentile!”

“That’s like the only thing he can say in Italian, by the way,” Chris commented from the end of the table where he was eating left over cold pizza. He let out a snort, the sound punctuating the air in between the sound of pans hitting each other. 

“Hasn’t failed me yet,” Joey said in a chipper tone and a shrug of his shoulders. A clicking sound filled the air as he turned on the stove before he turned around to face Annaleigh, wiggling his eyebrows. “Either that or just put on the accent, huh? Makes all the girls go crazy.”

“I’m too tired to laugh, Joey,” Annaleigh said, her lips twitching upwards just slightly. JC patted the palm of her hand with the tips of his fingers and she pulled her hand into her lap. “Thanks, JC.” 

“Of course,” JC replied with a nod of his head.

“How are y’all still…y’all?” Annaleigh asked with a groan, running a bandage covered hand over her face. 

“Please!” Chris said with a snort, an amused smile on his face. “The party doesn’t start ‘till at least 2:30.”

“Believe it or not, you’ll get used to it,” Lance replied with a short laugh. He sucked in a breath of air before reaching for the near empty fruit bowl on the counter and grabbed an apple. He peeled off the sticker and took a bite. “After years of doing this, it becomes easier.” 

“That’s not to say we don’t get tired,” Justin spoke up, around a large mouthful of cereal. He rotated his bare shoulders before adjusting his tank top strap.

As Annaleigh looked over at him, his curly hair seemed to wilt just slightly at the suggestion of his words. Here she thought the boys were having the time of their lives, and it was evident that they were, but they had to be some of the hardest working fellas she had ever met. 

“Have you called Mr. Ryan yet?” Lance asked and Annaleigh snapped to attention.

“No, I haven’t had time,” Annaleigh said as she reached into her pocket for her cell phone. After unsuccessfully punching in her home phone number, she jabbed her thumb into the 2 key on her phone and held it there for a couple seconds before lifting her phone to her ear. The dial tone pealed once, twice, three times in her ear before she heard a click and her father’s tired, gruff voice answer. 

“Hello?”

“Hi, daddy.” Annaleigh smiled, feeling the familiar sting of pain hit the back of her nose. A lump formed in her throat, and Annaleigh felt a wave of tears (of fatigue? Sadness? She wasn’t sure) rush to pool in her eyes. 

There was the sound her father clearing his throat and he suddenly sounded more awake, his voice more clear. “Hi, Sweet Pea.” She could practically hear the smile in his voice. “I was waitin’ for your call. How was your day?”

Annaleigh put her hand over the mouthpiece of her phone and looked over at Lance, her eyebrows furrowing together. “What times is it back home?” she asked in a whisper. A thoughtful look crossed Lance’s face as she took another bite of his apple. Half of his face scrunched up as he thought. 

“Around…one in the morning,” he replied.

Annaleigh mouthed her thanks before turning her attention back to her phone. “Sorry, daddy, I didn’t mean to call so late,” Annaleigh said as she raked her fingers through her hair, pulling her feet up into her chair. “We got back a little while ago.” 

“I’m just glad you made it safe, Sweet Pea.” Annaleigh smiled as her dad’s tone filled her ear. She put her phone between her ear and shoulder, as the weight of her exhaustion crashed on her shoulders. “I miss you already.” 

“Miss you, too,” Annaleigh replied. “Today was good. A loooong day of rehearsal, but it was good. All the guys in the band are cool.” She paused. “*NSYNC aren’t so bad either.”

“Damn straight,” Justin called, milk dribbling down his chin as he talked. 

“Use a napkin, dude,” JC said with a groan as he got to his feet to put up the first aid kit. Justin stuck his tongue out at JC in reply. The bag was over spilling with bandages, and gauze, and creams, and medicine. With five boys living together, she wasn’t surprised that they would get bumps, bruises, and scrapes somewhere along the way.

“Well, tell me about your day,” Ryan said around a yawn. “I want to hear all about it.” 

Annaleigh went on to explain her day, starting from getting lost, to meeting the members of the band, all the songs she had to learn, meeting Gabriel, and interacting with the other men in the band, and what she had to look forward to on her schedule for the AMAs.

“Sounds like you’re going to be very busy soon,” Ryan commented. “I’m proud of ya, sweetie. Mighty proud.” 

“If mom calls-“

“I’ll have her reach you on your phone,” Ryan instantly replied, his vocal tone becoming tight just slightly. “She hasn’ called you back?” 

She had requested those very words multiple times and each time he’d promise those very same words as well. It kind of became a routine between the two of them. At this point in time, they both knew a call from her mother would most likely never come. Despite that, again and again they’d hold onto some bit of hope that she’d surprise them in a good way.

“Mmm-mmmm,” Annaleigh replied, slowly shaking her head back and forth, careful not to dislodge the phone from between her shoulder. 

“Oh, I’m sorry, Sweet Pea. I’m sure she’ll call.” He let out a sigh and quickly changed the subject. “Well, everythin’ here at the Bass home is goin’ well. Both James and Diane miss you as well and wish you well. And they say ‘hi’ to Lance.”

“Your parents say ‘hi’,” Annaleigh relayed the information to Lance who gave a nod of his head. She put her attention back onto her phone conversation and the pause on her father’s end of the phone conversation. 

“You know I can’t help but worry.”

“Dad-“ 

“But, I know with Lance there he’ll be sure to look out for you. Just be careful, Sweet Pea. Be careful, do your best, and have fun. I know you; you get really…hard on yourself when it comes to you and your music. Try not to perfect anythin’, just allow yourself to show through the music.”

“Thanks, daddy,” Annaleigh replied.  “I will.” She reached up her hand to scratch at her hairline. “Dad’s it’s late, I don’t want to keep you up.” 

“Ok,” Ryan replied. He then started firing off advice as quickly as he could. “Make sure you get plenty of rest no matter what and make sure you eat well. Fruits and vegetables whenever you can, especially on tour—I know how easy it is to rely on fast food. It’s ok to say when you’re tired and that you need a break; you are the youngest person there after all and—“

“Daddy,” Annaleigh interrupted him with a bit of a laugh. Even from thousands of miles away, he was still the overprotective dad she watched him grow to become. 

She used to have free reign as a kid to come and go as she pleased as long as she was back home by the time the street lamps came on. After the abrupt departure of her mom, she got her first brick of a cell phone, and had to go through a laundry list of details before leaving the house including where she was going, how long she’d be there, when she thought she’d be back, and who she would be with. That was all before her focus shifted to looking for a job and helping to keep her family afloat.

And yet, from her short time around the boys, she felt a youthful energy around them. It was almost infectious in a way; they could act like their goofy selves no matter what situation they were in. Whether that was to help everyone feel included into their family, she wasn’t sure. But, she was grateful for that sense of comfort. 

Nevertheless, she was out there for a job.

Point black. 

Period.

“The boys know all about bein’ on tour, I’m sure they could help me out,” Annaleigh said, raising her voice to talk over her dad. 

“Right,” Ryan replied with a sigh. “I mean, it’s been a while since the old man has been on a tour bus, huh?” Annaleigh put her hand in her face, feeling her stomach drop down into her toes. Of course he’d be coming from a good place when giving her advice.

“Sorry, daddy, I didn’ mean it like that,” she said to him, letting out a sigh through her nose. She then sucked in a deep breath of air before letting out a loud yawn. 

“Shoot, baby girl, I know that,” Ryan replied. “But, it’s getting late; I’m going to let you go. Get a good night’s sleep, y’hear?”

“I hear,” Annaleigh replied. “And, daddy?" 

“Yes?”

“…Could you e-mail me a packing check list thing for tour?” Annaleigh asked. “And some tips and stuff?”

Ryan let out a deep chuckle. “Of course, Sweet Pea,” he replied. “I’ll let you go.” 

“Night, daddy.” Annaleigh listened to her dad’s deep timbre before the click of the phone line cutting out sounded in her ear. She felt her shoulders slump as she hung up her phone. It was official now; she was officially in a whole new world of business now. Annaleigh set her phone down onto the table and reached for her mug of hot chocolate, she realized the five boys were staring at her. “What? Shoot, y’all are freakin’ me out?”

“Who’s Gabe?” Joey asked, turned away from the stove. She hiked an eyebrow at his tone—he sounded like Jasmine trying to get information out of her about she was currently smitten with. 

The smell of caramelizing onions hit the air and Annaleigh smiled. It smelled just like the diner she had left behind. She was already missing trading jokes with Alan, the feeling of someone caring for her well being with his parents, and just the welcoming and warm environment that not only the diner brought but the patrons as well.

“He’s new to the *NSYNC band, too,” Annaleigh replied. “He plays the keyboard.” She paused for a moment, blinking rapidly as she suddenly realized that none of them had known about the change. “Y’all didn’t know?” 

“We just knew that Troy was taking time out for his family,” JC said, shaking his head back and forth. His eyebrows furrowed together and he rubbing his chin with his fingers. “Huh. So, David left, too.” He lifted his head and looked around at his band mates. “We should get him a good luck gift; let him know he was appreciated.”

“Good idea,” Justin agreed with a nod of his head. “I just wonder why he left so quickly.” He let out a sigh through his nose. “Well, Annaleigh, how well do you think Gabriel did? Do you think he’ll fit in?” 

Better than me, Annaleigh thought to herself. She tapped her thumbnail into the side of her mug. Gabriel could just bond with the men faster than she could. She was the odd girl out. Not that she didn’t anticipate it ahead of time. “He’s a very good fella and takes direction well. He picked up on things pretty quickly.”

“I’m sure the both of you will knock it out of the park,” Joey said as he turned back towards the stove. Moments later, Annaleigh had a steaming sandwich with gooey cheese and sweet onions sitting in front of her. She lifted it with her hands and took a large bite. 

“Joey gis is berry goof,” she said with her mouthful, taking another bite. I guess I was more hungry than I thought.

“I told ya,” Joey said with a smile, putting his hands in the air. “No one passes up food from Joey Fatone.” He then started to bow. “Thank you. Thank you.” 

Annaleigh swallowed the mouthful of food and licked her lips. “Don’ think I told y'all, but congratulations; with the court hearin’ ‘n’ everythin’. “ She noticed the instant change of atmosphere in the room. She was sure it had dropped a couple degrees at least. “Sorry you had ta go through that.” And sorry I even brought it up. JC merely waved his hand in the air before giving a shrug.

“It is what it is,” he said to her, “it was all about the music to us. As long as we could continue doing what we loved, everything would be ok.” JC opened and closed his mouth a few times as he peered over at her. “If you really want this, we could help you out, you know.” 

“What do you mean?” Annaleigh asked.

JC pursed his lips just slightly as he thought. “I know how to play the bass a very tiny bit, so that part will really be up to you, but everything else—“ he put a hand to his chest, “—we’ll help. We want success for you more than you know.” 

Annaleigh gaped at him, not because of the words that came out of his mouth, but because of how one minute he looked the most tired she had ever seen him and the next he was in serious business mode. She wasn’t too surprised about it; she had always heard JC to be described as the serious one in the group, it was just different to hear about it and to see it firsthand.

“JC, she’s exhausted,” Lance said, reaching his hand forward to pinch at the cheese that slid out from the side of Annaleigh’s sandwich. She slapped at his hand, but he quickly pulled it back to pop what bit of cheese he managed to get in his grasp into his mouth. “At least wait until the morning.” 

On the one hand, Annaleigh was dealing with sensory overload. She was tired, she was hungry, and she was trying to remember everything she needed to know before she went back to rehearsal the next day, before rehearsal for the AMAs started. The minute the boys were done with their video shoot, it was crunch time to getting their debut single performance as perfectly as they could get it.

Not only that, but the boys were up for a huge award that night. Interviews and wardrobe fittings and photo shoots all before, during, and after the red carpet was bound to be squeezed into every last minute of their day. Annaleigh thought things were moving fast now, but in all actuality, she had no idea what was ahead of her. 

And she hated that.

“I thank ya kindly, Lance, but I’d rather know,” Annaleigh said, waving her hand in the air. Better to have everything laid out in front of her than to have it suddenly brought up. Lance merely gave a nod of his head, accepting her answer. 

“We’ll just be working with your voice,” JC continued folding his hands onto the table. “Considering you’d be working to build your skills on the bass with the rest of the band.” She could see why JC was well respected with the way he carried himself. “We all know how anxious you get with performing, but you have a great voice. If you ever wanted to do some singing, then you could be prepared. Especially with your accent.”

Annaleigh blinked before narrowing her eyes slightly. “What’s wrong with-?” 

“Nothing, sweetie,” JC interrupted her with a small laugh. “In fact, I think it’s downright adorable, but it’ll be harder for anybody take you seriously if you have a country twang to everything you sing if you’re not sticking exclusively with country music.”

“Careful, C,” Justin said in a soft tone. 

She lifted her eyebrows. “What’s wrong with-?”

Nothing,” JC insisted. 

“You’re digging yourself into a ho-o-ole,” Chris said in a sing-song voice.

“Country’s fine; it’s who you are,” JC said after a moment of silence, recollecting his thoughts. “And if there’s one thing we’ve learned about this is, if you don’t know who you are, then no one is going to know who you are. What you bring to this is very unique, no doubt about that.” 

“I think what JC is trying to say is that, we’ll help you vocally if you choose to do more singing,” Lance spoke up, saving his friend. “If it’s not what you want, that’s ok. But, I don’t think it’ll hurt to at least have it to fall back on.” He then snapped his fingers and pointed at her. “Plus, you’ve already got some vocal training experience with Mr. Westbrook. The thing is, if you’re not going to be singing country music, then you should work on not singing that way. I had to do it.”

“Exactly,” JC said with a nod of his head. 

“I guess I understand that,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head.

“No matter what, it all just takes confidence,” JC explained before a thoughtful look crossed her face. 

“Hmmm, maybe we should work on your confidence, first.” Annaleigh made a humming noise in the back of her throat as she lifted her mug of hot chocolate to her mouth, taking a long sip. “I’m just telling you what I think based on your audition, hon.”

“I understand, and I thank ya kindly for tellin’ me the truth,” Annaleigh replied, lifting her hand up into the air. She raked her fingers through her hair before pressing her lips together. It’s just part of the business. You’ll get worse criticism in this line of business. Dad tried to warn you. 

And that whole time she had told him time and time again that she could handle it and it’s what she wanted. She wanted to get her feet went in the business and she had practically cannonballed into the gosh darn center.

“I’m in,” Annaleigh replied, lifting her hand to rub at her eyes as they suddenly started to burn. “Joe, this was god, but I’m too tired to finish it. One of y’all can have—“ Chris practically dove on top of the table and grabbed the paper plate, dragging it back towards him, “it. Ok, then.” 

She gave them a quick smile before making her way back towards her room. She kicked the door shut behind her and moved her bags to the ground. She quickly changed into her pajamas and turned off the light before climbing into bed, making sure to get Chip from her bag.

“We didn’t mean to make you upset,” Justin said, tapping his spoon on the side of his bowl. The corners of his lips were pulled downwards into a boy-ish frown-pout. 

“Naw, y’all didn’,” Annaleigh replied with a shake of her head, pushing her chair back. “It’s all…just a lot.” She let out a sigh. “I thank y’all for everythin’, really I do. It’s jus’ been a long day.” After giving all the boys a hug goodnight, wishing them a good night’s sleep, she took a quick shower, allowing the warm water to massage her tired muscles before she changed into pajamas and climbed into bed.

But she couldn’t get to sleep. She didn’t know how long she had tossed and turned before admitting defeat and letting out a frustrated sigh, staring up at the ceiling. “Come on, guys,” she said as she lifted her stuffed Pluto the dog and teddy bear into her arms. 

She slipped out of her room and into the hall (the house was dark and quiet) before making her way over to Lance’s door. She quietly pushed the door open, sliding inside to hear soft snores coming from the center of the darkness. She closed the door behind her and made her way over towards the bed, waiting for her eyes to adjust to the dark. “Lance.”

“Hmm?” Lance gave a mumbled response and Annaleigh kneeled down beside his bed, nudging his bare shoulder. “Hmmm?” 

“Roll over,” Annaleigh whispered and Lance did as she was asked. Annaleigh grabbed his blankets and lifted them before climbing into bed beside him. “Thanks.”

“Yep,” Lance muttered into his pillow. Annaleigh’s eyes fluttered shut as the Lance’s body heat wrapped her in a comforting cocoon of warmth. Lance rolled over to his other side and let out a sigh before asking in a deep timbre he could only achieve with his fatigue, “You ok?” 

“I didn’ think it’d be like this,” Annaleigh admitted.

“You did kinda come at a bad time, I’ll admit,” Lance said after a second sigh. As her eyes adjusted to the dark she could make out the curve of his body under his sheets and blankets as he faced her. They slowly lifted and fell with each tired breath his body took in. “But, we don’t call you ‘Ace’ for nothing. Once you get into the routine of things you’ll knock it out of the park. You’ll see.” 

“Yeah,” Annaleigh agreed around a yawn. There was a long pause of silence where Annaleigh was sure Lance had fallen asleep before she heard him ask, “I’ve missed a lot haven’t I?” Annaleigh made a humming sound in the back of her throat.

“I’m happy you’re here,” he said to her, his breaths evening out. 

“So’m I,” Annaleigh replied, just as tired. “I just don’ want to let y’all down.” If not as equal importance, she didn’t want to let herself or her family down.

 

End Notes:

Well, there was a second half to this chapter, but NF was being annoying and cutting it off partway through. I'm assuming its because it only allows 10K word submissions for chapters, but mine was just a little over 9,600.

Oh, well. Since the problem kept persisting, I just divided this chapter into two parts. This problem had happened before, and I've seen other with chapter submisions longer than 10K words, but whatever.

Thanks for checking out my story.

False Pretenses by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:

Rehearsing for the AMAs.

A second chapter in one day! This was actually originally part of the last chapter, but due to some errors, had to split it in two seperate ones.

~8~

January 12th, 2000
Shrine Auditorium

Gabriel carefully set his keyboard down onto the floor before resting it up against the sinks in the bathroom of the Shrine Auditorium. He looked around, sliding his palms down the sides of his jeans, checking to make sure each stall was clear—checking underneath the stalls for shoes—before glancing over at the door, as if daring it to open.

He let out a sigh, pressing his lips together before turning back towards the mirrors. He dropped the bag on his shoulder down onto the sink and reached for the zipper, opening his bag, allowing the two parts to flop open. He reached inside and pulled out a rectangle box. Glancing at the door again, he walked over to it and turned the lock with his long, thin fingers.

He made his way back to the sink and popped open the box to retrieve a can from the box. He popped off the top and shook the can before aiming the nozzle at his head, starting to spray his dirty blonde hair a brown color. Once his hair was the color he wanted, he put the can back before grabbing a jar, twisting off the top.

He dipped his index and middle finger into the jar, allowing the white cream to coat his fingers before he rubbed them between his palms. He started running his hands and fingers through his hair, excess brown spray came off onto his hands as he did so. He used the sides of his hands to turn on the faucet and rinse the brown residue from his hands, watching the dark water swirl down the sink.

He then put the jar back and reached inside the box, retrieving a contacts case. He unscrewed the caps and dipped his fingers into the solution to retrieve brown tinted contacts. Leaning closer to the mirror, he used one hand to pull his eye lids apart, sliding the contact over his eye. He blinked a couple of times to make sure it was positioned right before doing the same with his other eye…jumping when he heard the door stop before loud knocking hit his ears.

“Hold on a minute!” Gabriel called back before he started throwing everything back into his bag. He then hurried to the door and unlocked it, letting out a sigh as it was pushed inwards and Johnny Wright walked in. “Oh, good, it’s you.”

“You’re late to rehearsal,” Johnny commented, closing the door behind him.

“I know, I was…hurrying,” Gabriel replied, giving him an apologetic look. “I got a late start today, that’s all.”

“Kevin’s been covering for you, but he shouldn’t have to do that,” Johnny said with a shake of his head. Gabriel bowed his head for a brief moment, scratching at the back of his neck.

“I know and I apologize,” Gabriel replied, lifting his head to look Johnny in the eyes. “I won’t be late again. I promise I won’t.”

Johnny peered over at Gabriel, pressing his lips together. He crossed his arms over his chest, narrowed his eyes just slightly. His chest swelled as he sucked in a deep breath of air before slowly letting it out through his nose. “You have to go through all of this?” he asked, waving a hand in the air, motioning towards Gabriel’s head.

“Everyday I’m here,” Gabriel replied with a shrug of his shoulders. “For a little while, I guess. I’ll get faster at it, the more I do it.”

“And, you can’t just tell Annaleigh the truth?” Johnny asked, stroking his chin with his fingers. Gabriel gave a brief shrug of his shoulders. “That’s not an answer.”

“Don’t know how to bring it up,” Gabriel replied, stretching his arms over his head before grasping at his elbows. “’Hey, Annaleigh, I know who you are, but you don’t know me. At least, you don’t remember me, but I know all about you. We played together once when we were kids. I took this job to get closer to you, but trust me; I’m not a creep or anything’.”

Johnny chuckled as he removed the hat from his head, scratching at the back of his neck. “I can see how you’d be having trouble,” Johnny admitted, giving a slow nod of his head. “From my experience though, I’d have to warn you, secrets have a way of getting out before you can reveal them yourself.”

“I don’t think I can tell her,” Gabriel said with a shake of his head. “Not now at least.”

“I’m not telling you to tell her now, I’m just telling you to tell her soon,” Johnny replied. “You’re going to have a lot of days together with this tour, so you have plenty of time.” He put his baseball cap back onto his head. “People want to know who the new musicians are in *NSYNCs band. With your interviews coming up…just stick with your story. People will dig around, but stick with you want to tell them.”

“I have a story ready, don’t worry,” Gabriel replied, running his fingers through his damp hair. He briefly checked his fingers, giving a satisfied smile at the lack of brown smudges on his fingers before looking back over at Johnny. “Nothing that’ll come back and bite me in the ass later on…I hope.”

“First things first, getting back to rehearsal,” Johnny said, reaching up to grab the brim of his hat, tugging it down over his forehead. “I’ll explain to Kevin why you’re…” He trailed off to look at his watch. “An hour late to rehearsal.” Gabriel cringed before giving Johnny a nod of thanks. “But, this is the only time I’m doing this for you. It’s your responsibility to make it to rehearsals on time and if you can’t make it, it’s your responsibility to let him know why you can’t be there so they can move things around accordingly.”

“Yes, sir, I understand,” Gabriel replied with a nod of his head. “I’ll head over right now.” He slid his arms through the straps of his bag and reached for his keyboard. “Sorry.”

“Don’t tell me that,” Johnny said with a slight shake of his head, although he had a smile on his face.

“Tell that to everyone else.” He then pointed a warning finger in Gabriel’s face. “I hope you’re good at making up stories in general.”

“My mom always told me I had an overactive imagination so we’ll see,” Gabriel replied with a shrug of his shoulders and a grin. Johnny chuckled, shaking his head as he made his way over to the bathroom door. He pulled it open, blinking in surprise as it swung open with ease as Lance moved to make his way into the bathroom.

“Sorry,” he said, jumping back from Johnny. He lifted his hand and waved in Gabriel’s direction. Gabriel gave a nod of his head, adjusting the keyboard he held under his arm. “We were all just wondering where you were.”

“We’re coming. You should’ve had one of the security team check up on us, though,” Johnny said, quickly changing the subject, stepping past Lance. Lance didn’t answer but gave a small nod, his eyes shifting over towards Gabriel who brushed past him as he slipped out the door.

“Hi, I’m Gabe,” Gabriel said, offering his hand to Lance. “Gabe Hamilton. I’m the…late keyboardist.” He then quickly pulled his hand back. “And I was just using the bathroom so…bad idea!” He let out a nervous laugh. “I’ll just get going.”

Gabriel shifted the grip on his case as he made his way towards the stage. Lance fell into step beside him. “I’m Lance by the way,” Lance said to him.

“I know,” Gabriel replied with a nod of his head. “Everyone knows who you are.”

“So you’re filling in for David,” Lance said to him, sliding his hands into the pockets of his mesh shorts. “Did he say why he was leaving?” He jerked his thumb over his shoulder. “We all sent out a good luck card, but…”

“Uh…” Gabriel gave a shrug of his shoulders. “I just heard there was an opening in your band so I auditioned to fill it. I didn’t ask questions.”

“Oh. Ok.” Lance then clapped him on the arm, giving him a bright smile. “Well, welcome to the *NSYNC family. We’re glad to have you here.”

“Thanks,” Gabriel replied with a nod of his head. “I look forward to working with you all.” Lance quickened his pace as they came up to a short set of stairs. He bounded up them and pulled open the door, leading the way into a darkened area. Loud music reached Gabriel’s ears as he followed Lance through the dark before pushing aside the heavy curtains in their way.

Lights flashed, twisted, and twirled around the stage in betweens puffs from the smoke machine, and pyrotechnics exploded from their containers. Sitting in the middle of the stage, Justin and Annaleigh played game after game of “Rock, Paper, Scissors” , slamming their palms into their hands as quickly as they could. Justin towered over her, sitting on top of a basketball.

A tense, electrical feeling swirled through the air, shocking everybody in its wake. It was only a couple of days until the big awards show. Everyone looked excited, scared, and relaxed all at the same time. The large stage was divided by a thick black stripe on the ground. Behind the line in the darker part of the stage the rest of the band was set up. As the crew were testing the lights (with someone’s loud voice coming in through the speakers), they couldn’t rehearse.

 “Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!”

“…One more time, the lights were in my eyes.”

“Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!”

“…One more time, I couldn’ hear you count.”

“Rock, paper, scissors, shoot!”

“…One more time, I—“

“Annaleigh!” Annaleigh put her hands up defensively when at Justin’s laugh-groan. “Dang, girl! We’ve already played eleven games. I won. You lost.” He pointed his finger in her face. “You’re sitting next to Chris on the Dumbo ride.”

“Nooo,” Annaleigh groaned before holding her hands out towards him. She curled one hand into a fist, holding it over her palm. “One more game; best 11 outta 15.”

“You guys came just in time.” A boy in long athletic pants with brown and blonde hair made his way across the stage, holding a microphone in his hand. He flipped the microphone in his hands into the air before catching it. Lance made his way over to center stage and Gabriel followed after him. Justin and Annaleigh got to their feet. “Wade Robson, choreographer for the boys.”

“Gabe Hamilton,” Gabriel replied, taking Wades hand, shaking it. “New keyboardist.”

“I’m Annaleigh Carr,” Annaleigh said, shaking his hand next. “The new—“

“Bass player, I know.” Wade angled his head down just slightly to look her over before hiking an eyebrow, his shoulders shaking just slightly with a chuckle. “Nice boots.” Annaleigh looked down at the cowboy boots adorning her feet. Dark wash skinny jeans were tucked into the boots. With a single white tank top and a flannel shirt all looking crisp and clean, it was evident she had gone through a wardrobe session.

“Thanks?” she said as more of a question.

“Now that everyone’s here we can set up,” Wade said, nodding his head towards the back of the stage before he lifted the microphone back up to his mouth, “and go through a full run through.” Lance tilted his head back, groaning. His groan mixed in with JC, Joey, Justin, and Chris’s from around the stage.

 “Y’all are complainin’, but my fingers feel like they’re on fire,” Annaleigh said to Lance, turning towards him, splaying her bandaged fingers before wiggling them.

“You’re the one who chose not to play with a pick,” Wade commented, tapping a rhythmic beat against his head with the microphone. The low taps filled the auditorium. “If these guys have to suffer through an hour or two of dancing, you have to suffer through an hour or two of pain.”

“Guess I forgot to mention how much of an ass Wade can be the closer it gets to the start of a show,” Lance said, pinching the bridge of his nose with his fingers before motioning for Annaleigh and Gabriel to go to where they were needed.

Wade’s name was on the line just as much as NSYNC’s was so it was a bit justified. This was his first huge choreography job. He was getting praise for his work for Bye Bye Bye but this was a whole new album with new choreography that needed to reflect changes in their style of music from song to song.

“We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us, but I’ve got high hopes for you boys,” Johnny said in his calm, yet serious tone, rubbing his hands together, as he walked out onto the stage. “Very high hopes. This next move for you is important; everybody has their eyes on you. They want to see how you fair without Lou around. Everybody has their eyes on you.”

“Not like they didn’t before with our ‘feud’ with the Backstreet Boys,” Justin said, using air quotes before crossing his arms over his chest. He then picked the basketball up off of the floor, passing it back and forth between his hands.

“Yeah, and I have a bone to pick with them,” Chris added, putting a finger in the air. “Did you see what they said about us in their lat interview?”

The Backstreet Boys were around for a little while before *NSYNC came on the scene. Everybody thought the two bands were rivals mainly because they were working in the same genre of music and because both bands were the most popular bands out there. He had met the Backstreet Boys a couple of times and thought they were pretty cool dudes.

That’s not to say that each meeting was all that awkward. They had met once since everything with Lou went down; they had money stolen from them as well.  Not only that, but higher ups at their record companies would relay stories to the band about “Nick thinking Lance is this” or “JC thought AJ was that.” But, the kicker was that Johnny was their manager, too. That gave the boys more reason to respect the African American man; to work that hard for not one but two of the hottest boy bands? And he sure did know what he was doing.

“They didn’t say anything, Chris,” Johnny said, giving Chris a confused look.

“Exactly!” Chris replied, hiking an eyebrow. “The nerve of those guys.” Joey snorted, putting a hand over his mouth to try and get him to stop from laughing out loud.

JC pressed his lips together, the corners twitching, Justin cleared his throat over and over again, and Lance ran a hand over his face before sticking his tongue out between his lips. Gabriel pressed his fist into his mouth and Annaleigh bowed her head, pressing her lips together.

Johnny briefly closed his eyes. His shoulders shook as a small fit of laughter escaped past his lips. He cleared his throat, licking his lips, before his usual air of business returned and a serious look appeared on his face. “Be serious, Chris,” he said to him and Chris seemed to deflate a little bit as he gave a nod of his head. “This is kind of like a comeback for you boys; everyone wants to see how well you can do without Lou. From what I’ve heard, this single is going to be a hit. It’s going to be huge. This is something that no one else has done before.”

“I’m ready for it,” Justin said, a serious look crossing his face, all trace of laughter gone from his face. He held the ball still in front of his chest, the muscle in his forearm straining as he squeezed the ball between his hands. “This…this’ll be something great, I just know it.”

“That’s right,” JC agreed, nodding his head. “No strings.”

“No strings,” Lance repeated, a half smile coming to his face.

“Alright, let’s get going,” Wade said into his microphone. “Reset everything back to one. Gabe, Boots, get set up, please.”

“Safe to assume I’m Boots, then?” Annaleigh asked, lifting an eyebrow as she turned to make her way to the back of the stage. Lance chuckled, clapping her on the shoulder before joining the boys on stage.

“Since you were late, your wardrobe fitting has been pushed to after rehearsal,” Johnny said to Gabriel. “You can do it here or at your apartment or whatever, but you need to get it done.”

“Yes, sir,” Gabriel replied. He hurried after Annaleigh and jabbed his finger into her back. “Have I missed much?”

“Naw, not really,” Annaleigh replied, her nose wrinkling just slightly, pulling her freckles towards each other. “The boys rehearsed bits and pieces by themselves as Wade; I guess it was, worked out the choreography with lights and the backup dancers.” She snapped her fingers before turning towards him. “Me and the boys are plannin’ a trip to Disney on our day off. Wanna come?”

“You think that’d be ok?” Gabriel asked as he started to set up his keyboard, shooting Kevin a look of apology.

“Well, I could make sure, but you need to get ta know ‘em, too,” Annaleigh replied, reaching for her bass, removing it from its stand. “I’m sure it’ll be fine.” He gave a small smile of thanks and in moments, he was set up with the rest of the *NSYNC band and they were playing through their AMA performance.

 “Keep going,” Wade said into his microphone, his words cutting over the music. He slowly swiveled his head from left to right as he watched the five boys dance, bobbing his head to the music, dancing a couple of the steps on the spot as he watched them. “Lift your knees higher when you run back to your mark, JC.”

JC angled his head slightly in a nod, but never stopped what he was doing. He never lost control of his body as he continued to dance.  “5, 6, 7, 8. Lance stay in time, pick it up just a little bit,” Wade called, snapping his fingers in Lance’s direction. “Knees a little higher, Chris. Justin, great combination. Joey…” Wade trailed off as he let out a small laugh. “Bring the ham down just a little.”

“Actually, ham sounds pretty good right now,” Chris said as he stopped dancing. “Like on a ham and cheese sandwich, maybe?” Wade made a cutting motion across his chest and the music died out as the musicians stopped playing.

“Didn’t you just get done eating, Chris?” Wade asked, pinching the bridge of his nose before raking his fingers through his hair. He lifted the bottom of his shirt with his free hand to wipe the sweat from his face. “In fact, that would explain why you’re all a little sluggish today.”

“Wade, just chill out for a sec,” JC said as he walked across the floor. He disappeared into the wings for a moment before walking back out. He pulled his headset down around his neck and twisted off the cap to the water bottle in his hands. “This is big but you can lighten up just a little bit. We’ve been working all morning.”

Wade crossed his arms over his chest. His chest swelled as he sucked in a deep breath of air before letting it out through his nose. He twisted his mouth to the side before bowing his head, a smile coming to his face. “Alright, alright, let’s go through this a couple more times and then we can take a break.” The boys let out sighs of relief. “You’re doing a good job, guys. Really."

“Thanks, Wade,” Joey said, sweat droplets sliding down the sides of his face.

“Alright, lets pick up from the top,” Wade said into his microphone. “Remember, the performance will be longer when we have the marionettes. And 5, 6, 7, 8.”

They played through the performance a couple more times before Wade allowed for them to have a break. Gabriel removed his fingers from his keyboard keys and massaged his fingers as the boys dispersed to take their break. Lance made his way into the back, reached across the drum set and slapped Billy’s hand in greeting.

“Having fun watching us die?” he asked, face bright red and sweaty.

“Watching you die, maybe,” Annaleigh replied with a hint of a smile.

"Are you going to tease me about it or are you going to help me?” he asked, shifting his gaze towards the ceiling.

“Well, I’d have to check my schedule, I’m a pretty busy person, you know,” Annaleigh replied, with a small laugh.

 “You’re about a half a beat off, by the way,” she replied. “I don’t blame you after how terribly I’ve been playin’.”

“You’re doing better than you want to believe,” Gabriel said to her and Lance nodded his head in agreement. “Really.”

"Just do the best you can, Lance,” Lance explained, looking at the two newer members of the band. “I know this is fast paced, but, y’all will get it down.” He spun on his heels just slightly before cupping his hands over his mouth. “Hey guys, come here.” Footsteps made their way towards the back of the stage and JC, Justin, Chris, and Joey crowded into the back of the stage. “This is Gabriel Hamilton.”

“You can call me Gabe,” Gabriel said as he shook their hands. “I’m excited to be working with you all. I’m a big fan of your music.”

“You mean it’s actually your sister, right?” Chris asked with a half-smile. “’Cause you know, for some reason, our male fans don’t really want to admit that they like us?”

“I’m an only child, so…” Gabriel replied with a shrug of his shoulders. “I don’t have a problem telling people.”

“I invited him to go to Disneyland with us, if that’s ok,” Annaleigh said, rubbing her hands together.

Gabriel shifted his weight from foot to foot. He gave a shrug of his shoulders before sliding his hands into his jeans pockets. “It was very last minute, so…” he trailed off, lifting a hand to scratch the back of his neck. He shifted his gaze over to Annaleigh and gave her a smile of thanks. “I appreciate you thinking of me—“

“It’s cool with me,” Joey said with a shrug of his shoulders before pulling his t-shirt away from his body.

“Right guys?” He nodded his head when the other boys gave nods of agreement and words of acceptance around heavy breathing and drinking bottles of water. “The more the merrier. Besides, we need people to rotate out holding Chris’s hands on the taller rides.” He let out a laugh, moving to defend himself when Chris moved to punch him on the arm.

“If it makes you feel any better, I’m not too big with heights either,” Gabriel said. “It’s really the falling from the height I have a problem with.”

“See? This guy gets it,” Chris said, motioning towards Gabriel with his water bottle. He lifted his fist and Gabriel smiled, bumping it with his own. “And you all make fun of my phobia.” He rolled his eyes, lifting his water bottle to his mouth to take a long sip. “I like you, kid.”

“I…like you, too?” Gabriel said as more of a question.

“Ignore him, he’s a freak,” Justin said with a roll of his eyes. Chris looped an arm around his shoulders.

“But, I’m your freak and you love me,” Chris said with an over the top smile. Justin made a face of mock annoyance before pushing him away. Chris laughed before pointing a warning finger over at his friend. “Hey, I know where you live, buddy.”

I need *NSYNC back on stage.”

“Hey, it was nice meeting you, Gabe,” JC said, shaking Gabriel’s hand a second time. “And welcome to the band. We look forward to meeting you.”

“Thank you, I appreciate it.” Gabriel let out a breath of air, laying over his keyboard before putting his face in his hands. “Wow. Did that happen?”

“You really are a fan aren’t ya?” Annaleigh asked with a laugh as she pulled her guitar strap over her head. “You didn’ seem nervous if that makes ya feel better.”

“Oh, thanks,” Gabriel replied. “So, how long have you known Lance?”

“Since we were kids,” Annaleigh replied, grasping the neck of the guitar with her left hand. “For ‘bout eight years now. Why?”

“Just wondered,” Gabriel replied with a shrug of his shoulders.

Just looking at the two of them, he could see that they had some sort of history together. Whether they were romantically linked or not, he couldn’t tell, but the mutual camaraderie between the two of them could be evident to anybody. It was the type of friendship and care for each other he hoped to one day have with her. If she can get past my lying to her, anyway. Gabriel bowed his head just slightly as the thought careened into his mind.

Four loud clicks from Billy’s drumstick striking against his hi-hat filled the air before the music started. “And 5, 6, 7, 8.” Gabriel pressed the pads of his fingers into the black and white keys stretched out in front of him, starting the song.

Hey, hey.
Bye, Bye, Bye
 

I’m doing this tonight
You’re probably gonna start a fight
I know this can’t be right
Hey, baby, come on

The song was pretty fast paced and Wade was giving them a pretty impressive routine to dance to. It was a lot of quick steps and sharp shapes and movements with their arms and even at one point, to go along with the “no strings” and marionette idea, he had two of the five *NSYNC members acting like they were being controlled by puppeteers.

He was nothing short of impressed. Wade looked like a kid—he thought he couldn’t be any older than fifteen or sixteen--but he knew his stuff;  no doubt about it. If he had any other dance routines in his mind that extravagant, their tour would blow the roof off any venue, big or small.

Bye, Bye
Don't wanna be a fool for you
Just another player in your game for two
You may hate me but It ain't no lie
Baby, Bye, Bye, Bye

Bye, Bye
Don't really wanna make it tough
I just wanna tell you that I had enough
It might sound crazy
But, it ain't no lie

Baby, bye, bye, bye

They continued through the rest of the song a couple more times, pausing occasionally to work out some of the newer movements that they were having trouble with. But, all the boys pushed through. It was only a rehearsal, but Justin and JC really looked like they were going all out for the dance.

“Alright, that’s good,” Wade said as the music came to a pulsing stop. He clapped his hands together leading everybody into a round of applause. “Great job, everybody. That’s all for today.”

“Thanks, dude,” Justin said, hands on his knees breathing heavily. Like the other boys, his face was bright red, and sweat dripped down the sides and front of his face. He straightened and lifted his hand to slap it into Wade’s palm. “Moves are sick.”

“Thanks,” Wade replied, clapping Justin on the back before doing the same to the other boys. “But, it’s all on you, guys. Now get some rest. We’ll be doing this again bright and early tomorrow.”

“Just kill me now,” Chris groaned, rubbing at his eyes with the heels of his palm.

“I would, but I’m too tired,” Joey joked. Chris let out a sarcastic laugh, rolling his eyes.

Gabriel chuckled at the exchange. “Are they always like that?” he asked as he leaned over the top of his keyboard, unplugging the power chord from the back of the instrument after he switched it off.

“Who, them?” Annaleigh asked, nodding her head towards the front of the stage. She wrapped the chord to her bass guitar around her hand. “Haven’t been around ‘em a lot, to be honest with ya, but they’re always makin’ jokes. They know when to be serious, but it’s what makes ‘em fun to be around.”

“I’ll bet,” Gabriel replied. He tapped his fingernails on the plastic edge of his keyboard. “So, listen, we have interviews for the AMAs and everything. I don’t know if we have to do interviews on the red carpet or anything, but since I’ve never done that before, do you mind if we like…I don’t know, team up for it?”

“Shoot,” Annaleigh said with a click of her tongue, her eyebrows twitching, “sounds better than flyin’ solo. Sounds good ta me.”

Gabriel relaxed into a smile. “Good.” He gave a nod of his head before shifting his attention over towards Wade as he made his way backstage. “Ah. Mr. Robson—“

“Wade,” Wade instantly corrected Gabriel. He gave a half startled, half amused laugh. “We’re the same age; you don’t have to call me that.” He crossed his arms over his chest as he regarded himself and Annaleigh. “That was good. You guys clearly have talent, but there’s something missing.”

“How so?” Gabriel asked, his eyes narrowing slightly.

Wade opened and closed his mouth a couple of times. “Like you’re forgetting something,” he admitted after a moment of silence.

“I…what?” Annaleigh asked. Gabriel watched a look of panic cross her face. She reached for the thick binder sitting on her music stand and started rapidly flipping through pages. “What’s the matter? What’d I miss?”

“Relax, Boots,” Wade said with a chuckle. “I was just implying that you’re not having any fun. You’re both so tense, making sure you get everything right; trying to force it out.” He gave them a small nod before walking off.

“I think he likes you,” Gabriel commented, watching as she continued to back up her belongings. Apart from a loud snort, she didn’t answer until she her backpack hanging off her shoulders and zipped up her guitar case.

“He doesn’ even know me,” Annaleigh protested with a shake of her head as she turned to face him. She  reached her hands back behind her head to free her wavy hair from between her back and her backpack.

“So?” Gabriel asked with a laugh. “I’m a guy, I know the male signs.”

Annaleigh let out a tinkling laugh as she lifted her hand into a wave. “I’ll see you later,” she said to him as she made her way off the stage, saying her goodbyes to the other members of the band.

“See ya.” Gabriel turned back towards his keyboard and continued packing up his belongings. He twisted his mouth to the side, letting out a sigh through his nose. Once completed he bid the rest of the *NSYNC band farewell, slung his case over his shoulder, and made his way out to the parking lot.

Blinking against the bright sun as he stepped outside, he reached into his pocket for his phone. He flipped the top half upwards with his thumb before punching in a number, holding it up to his ear. “Hey, mom. Yeah, we just got done with rehearsals; I’m heading back home now. It was good, the show will be great, and I can’t wait for you to see it. I think Annaleigh and I are getting along pretty well, but I’m worried about when I tell her.”

He pulled his phone away from his ear and rolled his eyes, making a face for a brief moment before putting it back. “Mom, I know it was my idea. I know I’m taking a risk with it. I just couldn’t think of any other way. This way she won’t shut the door in my face at least not right off the bat. Now I guess I’d have to worry about being kicked off a tour bus or something. Well, she’s best friends with Lance Bass, she could do something. No, I don’t think she would, she’s as charming as…whatever’s charming. I’m just saying.”

 

End Notes:
Like I mentioned in the chapter notes and the author's not of the last chapter, this was originally one full chapter with the last one, but due to some glitch on the site of some sort, I had to split it.

So, here's two chapters in one day. Sorry if you got a lot of alerts, but thanks for checking it out.
Jitters by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Annaleigh's nerves get the best of her as the AMAs loom closer.

~9~

January 15th, 2000
NSync House

Annaleigh blinked her eyes open, before instantly shutting them when a bright light practically seared her cornea. Moving her legs just slightly to tuck into a tighter ball seemed to take longer than usual. Her muscles were sore and she felt drained off all energy.

Why am I up? She wondered, trying to get comfortable enough to fall back asleep. Then she felt someone shake her shoulder. With a groan, she squeezed her eyes shut tighter and pulled her blankets up over her head. The shaking continued. “Go away, I’m sleepin’.”

She heard Justin’s familiar chuckle. “How can you talk if you’re sleeping?” he asked from somewhere above her.

“I just can, now shhhh,” Annaleigh replied from the darkness. She heard Justin sigh before shaking her again. “Go away.”

“Can’t do that,” Justin replied. His voice sounded farther away. Annaleigh opened her eyes and listened for him, hearing nothing only to let out a loud groan of pain when she felt his bodily form crash down on top of her. “Ooof.  Justin! I jus’ want some sleep! I’ve been workin’ all week.”

“And we’ve been prancing around meadows picking flowers?” Justin asked with a loud laugh.

“Shoot, ya know what I mean,” Annaleigh replied.

With rehearsals for the VMAs, Annaleigh already felt incredibly busy. Last night the boys had gone out in Hollywood to attend a party for Teen People, partly to get some time out of the rehearsal space and NSYNC house, and to promote the upcoming release of Bye Bye Bye on the 17th while she was stuck at one of the last few late night rehearsals for the AMAs.

Everybody was buzzing about the song, excited to hear what it would sound like and to see what direction the boy band was headed with this new album. They had inkling that the song would do well and that people would enjoy it, but wouldn’t really know until about a week after the song was released just how successful it really was.

It was a scary, but exciting moment at the same time.

While Joey and JC immediately crashed as soon as they got back to the house, Lance had stayed up a little while longer to tell Annaleigh all about the party as she had to stay behind to rehearse, before heading to bed. Justin and Chris, as usual, continued to feed off the buzz and excitement from the party and tried to burn off the excess energy by any means possible.

“Come on, Annaleigh!” Justin said, practically singing her name.  He reached for the extra pillow on her bed and smacked her over the head with it. “Annaleigh, today’s a big day. It’s our day off! Our last day off until the AMAs. We’ve got a full day of rehearsal and wardrobe and stuff tomorrow. “

“And I have nothing planned today,” Annaleigh replied, blindly kicking her leg towards him.

“Great! So you can—“

Annaleigh let out a huff of annoyance before rolling onto her back, swinging her arms down to her sides, bringing her blankets with her to glare at the youngest NSYNC member. “You don’ understand, Justin,” she said to him, “it’s not that I have nothin’ planned, it’s that I plan to do nothin’.” She then pulled her blankets back up over her head.

They had a full day of dress rehearsal the next day, and then the awards the day after. She wanted one day to sit down and do nothing around the house. It was finally happening; the fans were getting to see what the boys have been working on for months, and in essence to see what she could do. The minute her interviews of being the new member in the *NSYNC band went live; everyone would know who she was.

Of course, that meant a boatload of even more interviews and even more photo shoots were going to be rolling in day in and day out each one asking her, and all the boys to provide as much energy as possible. She had watched them do a couple radio interviews and even she got tired of watching them being asked the same questions over and over again, but they seemed happy to answer it each and every time.

The one question they got the most was about Lou Pearlman.

Not that anyone could really blame the reporters for asking. It was a shock for everyone to hear about what was going on behind the scenes.

How did you not realize you weren’t making any money? We trusted Lou; we had no reason to ask about the money we were making.

What went through your mind when you saw your first pay check and how little money you had received? Nothing. It was totally blank. We were in shock. We didn’t get it.

How did you feel when you found out the man you trusted was keeping all that money from you? Angry, hurt, confused.

And on and on, question after question. Annaleigh had to give credit where credit was due. The boys knew how to answer questions respectfully and professionally all the while keeping their anger back. It was evident that they didn’t want to talk about what had happened with their old manager anymore, they wanted to move on and discuss their new music but they handled things very well.

What was most surprising was that everything that happened to them with Lou happened to others, like the Backstreet Boys. Who knew what other bands from Orlando managed by Lou had gone through? Who knew just how much money had he been collecting while they were working their asses off?

At the same time, no one could ever really talk about it. Signing the Non-Disclosure Agreement, they couldn’t even talk to their closest friends and family in specific details about what had happened. Whatever was in the press was in the press, but what really went on in the courtroom, no one could repeat.

It truly wasn’t fair and Annaleigh didn’t want to be part of “the business” if that’s what she had to look forward to. But, she couldn’t abandon NSYNC now, not this close to the AMAs. If they had faith in Johnny Wright, then so would she.

“Well ok, if you don’t want to go to Disney Land!” Justin said, practically shouting the last words. Annaleigh could hear a little echo from the corners of her room. “Come on, let’s get going.” Her bed started to shake as he jumped up and down before launching himself off the bed, landing on the floor with a thump. “Come on!”

Annaleigh couldn’t help but smile as Justin punched the air with his fists. It was so hard to believe that he was in such a famous band at times, but she had to remember that he was the youngest and still just a kid, something that she thought instantly bonded them. He was almost 18 years old and had accomplished way more than others his age did. She saw the side of him that was still young and fun loving (like now) and then she saw how serious and articulate he was when it was time for business.

Lance, she noticed, was quieter here than he was back in Mississippi. Not that he couldn’t have a good laugh or goof off like anybody else, but it was noticeable. Maybe it was due to how much they had to do in one single week, she wasn’t sure. But, he was still the friend she had grown up with and she needed that being in a new place. It was nice to have a person to talk to about her worries and frustrations.

Chris was…eccentric she would say. He always had a smile on his face and was cracking a joke or doing something to try and get people to laugh. He was always keeping the mood light and making sure she wasn’t stressed out by anything. He was laid back for the most part and helped her keep a good balance of fun with her busy days. He was definitely the guy she’d go to if she needed something fun to do and to just go crazy.

Joey was just a goofball that loved to get a smile out of everyone. And he loved girls. That much was obvious from the very first time I had met him. He was so easy to talk to and he told a lot of lame jokes, but I laughed at them anyway due to his delivery of the jokes alone. He was definitely a partier and if she was old enough, she’d go along with him (at least once, she didn’t know what the Hollywood party scene was like) knowing he’d take care of her. They had bonded over food (due to his love of not only eating it, but making it) and would often ask him to help her make meals as she had basically maneuvered her way into cooking for the boys.

JC really was the most serious one out of the five boys but he knew how to have fun. The difference between him and the others, Annaleigh could see, was that he knew when to separate being serious and having fun. Not that the others didn’t either, but he had a bit of a better grasp on it. But, he was selfless. Annaleigh had barely known him and he was already offering to help her vocally and with her ear training. She knew he was another person she could go to if she needed someone to talk to; especially if there was something about the industry she didn’t understand.

All together, *NSYNC were all like her big brothers. They made sure she was accommodated with whatever she needed (although she knew she’d never go to any of them for feminine products) and to explain in simpler terms the things she didn’t understand from meetings they went to. She didn’t know how she’d fair without them all looking out for him.

“Alright, I’m comin’, I’m comin’,” Annaleigh replied, lifting her hands to rub at his eyes. “Hold your horses, would ya? Get out so I can change.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Justin replied with a bright smile before making his way out of the room.

Annaleigh climbed out of bed and made her way to her closet and pursed her lips as she looked over her selection. She hadn’t had the opportunity to go out and buy new clothes, but she needed to sooner or later. She had clothes to wear for the winter back in Mississippi, and while it was a bit chilly in California, it still was at least 65 degrees. After quickly deciding on a pair of jeans and a burgundy Ole Miss jersey t-shirt, Annaleigh met the boys in the kitchen for breakfast.

“Only good thing we have is cereal, we need to go shopping,” Joey announced as Annaleigh twisted her hair up into a ponytail before starting to look through the kitchen cabinets.

“I can see why Miss Diane was worried about y’all on tour,” Annaleigh said, with a shake of her head as she stopped what she was doing, dropping her arms down to her sides. “I’m sure y’all have something. You boys have no idea how to make somethin’ out of nothin’.” She clapped her hands together, before pointing her finger at the boys who silently stared back at her, eating their cereal. “I can make you some breakfast with whatever’s lyin’ ‘round here.”

“If you can pull this off, you’re a God send,” Joey said, milk dribbling down his chin as he talked. He reached for a napkin and wiped at the stubble of hair he called a beard. “Literally.”

“I thank ya, kindly, Joey, but don’ worry about it,” Annaleigh said with a short laugh, waving her hand in the air. If there was one thing she knew she could do well, it was cook. Any mistake here could turn out to create a delicious meal in comparison to what she could create musically. One mistake there, a not too sharp, too flat, or just completely wrong, and it would ruin a whole lot.

All those years she spent learning recipe after recipe from Lance’s mom paid off. Growing up in the South taught her that it was important for her to be able to run the house...even if all she did was want to run out of the house and go off road riding or head down to the creek for fun.

“Annaleigh Carr you get back in this house” could have turned into her new name with how often she heard those words while attempting out the back door. She enjoyed cooking, but who would want to spend all day in a hot kitchen when you could get equally as sweaty doing more fun things. How lucky she was to have that kind of training after her mom left.

 “I’ll have something whipped up for y’all in no time,” she announced.

“God bless you,” Chris said with a sigh of happiness, rubbing his stomach as he dropped his spoon onto the table with a loud clatter.

“Ace, you don’t have to do that,” Lance said from where he was sitting at the kitchen table. He lifted his bowl of milk and quickly drank it. “You’re a guest here.”

Guest. Like I’m only temporary? Annaleigh thought to herself. In a way she knew she was. She was only taking over for the last bass player in the band until he felt like he was ready to return. Everybody was replaceable. She put a smile on her face, anyway. “Aw, hush. No offense, Lance, but you’re not known for your cuisine,” she replied. “It’s fine; I don’t mind it at all.”

“Hey, I make great toast,” Lance protested, giving a mock look of offense.

“Not everyone likes it charred,” JC spoke up around his mouthful of food. He put his hand in front of his mouth to block the sight of mashed up cereal in his mouth.

Lightly burnt,” Lance insisted, earning a snort from Justin. “That wasn’t even my fault. We just got a new toaster and I hadn’t figured out the settings yet.” Annaleigh watched for a moment as the boys continued to throw insults back and forth at each other. She managed to create a breakfast potato casserole topped with Special K cereal for breakfast before they all disbanded to prepare for their day at the amusement park.

“You better hurry if you want to hit as many of the rides at Disney as possible,” JC said as he put his empty dishes in the sink. Annaleigh loudly speared her remaining potatoes, sliding them into her mouth. “You still have that assessment to do for your tutor, young lady.” Annaleigh stuck her tongue out at him.

“Don’t remind me,” Annaleigh said with a roll of her eyes.

“Thanks for breakfast,” JC said to her as he moved to stand behind his chair, tapping the sides of his thumbs over the top. “It was really good.”

“Of course,” Annaleigh replied, giving him a smile.

“You’ll be ok, you know,” he said after a moment of silence. Annaleigh felt her eyebrows knit together just slightly as she peered up at him. “The AMAs...all of this. Once you stop worrying about messing up. Everyone has their off days, even while we’re on tour. We were all new at this at one point.”

Annaleigh made a humming noise in the back of her throat as she allowed his words to sink in. But, she couldn’t help it; so much was riding on what she could do. She could get her mind off it for a few hours, but when it came down to it, she was the one with the responsibility to bring in money for her family. Nevertheless, his words helped bring a sense of calm to her.

“I can’t guarantee you that I won’t throw up at the AMAs,” she said to him after she swallowed her mouthful of food.

“You were there before our showcase, you saw how green Chris was,” JC reminded her, his lips curling upwards into a half smile. “He wasn’t the only one who puked beforehand.” He gave a quick bow. “Welcome to the club. Besides, I’d still be right, because you’d be ok afterwards.”

“Just like you’ll be ok after throwing up after riding Splash Mountain twenty thousand times in a row,” Chris loudly declared with a wide grin as he made his way back into the kitchen with a backpack on his back. He then called over his shoulder towards the back of the house, “Hurry up and get in the car

“I wonder who’s more excited; him or Justin,” Annaleigh said with a small laugh.

“Both,” JC replied, deadpan. “Take your time getting everything you need, hon, we’ll meet you out in the car. I still need to brush my teeth and shower, anyway. If I’m lucky, Chris will give me at least half a minute before dragging me out.”

Annaleigh laughed through her nose before finishing her breakfast. After putting her dirty dishes in the sink and brushing her teeth, she grabbed her wallet before making her way to the van sitting in the driveway, joining the five boys before sliding the door shut behind her, leaving her worries behind for one day.


Disneyland Park

“Ok, we’ve been on Dumbo, Matterhorn, Splash Mountain, Peter Pan’s Flight, and Pirate’s of the Caribbean,” Justin said as he twisted and turned the Disneyland map in his hands. He held it upside down for a moment before straightening it. He looked up and spun in a circle before jabbing his finger down at a spot on the paper. ”If we want to go to the Adventure Park next, we have to go…that way.”

“Are you sure about that?” Gabriel asked as he adjusted the backwards cap on his head before sliding a hand into his jeans pocket. “We ended up going on Space Mountain three times because you ‘knew where you were going’.” He used his free hand to make air quotes. “And Small World twice.”

“You love that ride and you know it,” Justin said with an easy going grin.

“I’m not the one who knows every word to the song,” Gabriel replied, lifting an eyebrow. He then angled his head to the side. “And according to that sign, Adventure Park is that way.” Justin frowned as he looked at the map a second time before turning to his right to look at the sign Gabriel indicated.

“Right, just like I said,” he finally explained after a moment of silence. “We need to go that way.”

“Can we get something to eat first?” Joey asked, rubbing his hands up and down his stomach.

“And have you puke on the back of my head after we hit the coasters? Again? I don’t think so,” JC replied, using his finger to push his sunglasses up his nose. He clapped his hands together. “Come on, let’s hit Adventureland; Tarzan’s Tree House awaits. We have to get at least one picture over there.”

“I’m up for anything that keeps my feet on the ground,” Chris said, putting his hand in the air.

Annaleigh was surprised that someone as crazy and energetic as Chris was afraid of heights. The boys had warned her, but it was quickly put into perspective when he practically caused a scene every time Justin (who had squeezed himself into the same elephant with herself and Chris) purposefully made Dumbo float higher and higher into the air.

“Well, I’m missin’ fried food and I just saw a place that has funnel cake,” Annaleigh said as she brushed her hair back from her face. “So, I’m voting for food.”

“I knew there was a reason I liked you,” Joey said with a smile as he put his arm around her.

“Come on, we’ve got plenty of time to eat,” Justin said, practically whining. He stuck out his bottom lip. “Just one more ride. We haven’t even hit Tomorrowland yet and we’re so close.”

“Look, the tea party ride is just right here, let’s get in line do that and then we can get something to eat,” Gabriel suggested. He paused for a moment. “Just a suggestion.”

“Is that ok with you?” JC asked Justin, giving him a pointed look.

“Fine,” Justin agreed as if it was a tough thing for him to say.

“Let’s do it, then,” Lance said, clapping his hands together. “Whoever wants a fast spin, you’re welcome to share my teacup.”

“I’m in,” Annaleigh said, her hand instantly shooting in the air. “The faster the better.” She gave a shrug of her shoulders. “An empty stomach does have some purpose, no?”

“No,” Joey instantly disagreed with her, a teasing smile on his face. “Any slow riders are welcome to join me.” He elbowed Chris in the side. “Don’t worry, this ride doesn’t go high in the air.”

“Bite me, Fatone,” Chris said with a roll of his eyes.

“I’d love to, but you’re too skinny for me, Fitzpatrick,” Joey replied with a sweet smile as they all moved to get in line for the ride.

Annaleigh heard the whispers immediately. All day, wherever they went, they had been getting double takes, fingers pointed in their directions, and whispers all around. She knew she wasn’t the only one who noticed, but she had to have been the only one weirded out by it. None of the boys paid any attention to it and if it bothered them, they didn’t show it. They were determined to have the best day that they could.

I think it’s them.

No, it can’t be. Can it?

I’m telling you, it is.

Nah…just some people that look like them.”

A ripple went through the line and everybody shifted, walking forward as the last riders made their way off of the ride. People scrambled for teacups and the group of musicians broke off into two groups to quickly snag teacups of their own. The ride started with a loud ring of a bell shortly followed by the loud shrieks of the riders as their teacups started rotating around the multicolored flooring. The ride ended and the dizzy group got off of the ride, holding on to each other and each railing for support until they felt good enough to walk normally.

“Anyone that’s up for food,” Joey said as he removed his Superman cap from his head to wipe the seat from his forehead before replacing it, “follow me. French fries and funnel cake are this way.”

“Anyone who’s not hungry, let’s head on over to Tomorrowland,” JC said jerking his thumb over his shoulder.

“How ‘bout this; we get some food and the rest of you go check out some more rides,” Joey offered as he glanced at his watch. “We’ll meet you there in about—“ He was cut off when a loud scream sound like a cross between a whistle and the sound of a tea pot hit the air.

Annaleigh jumped, her hands flying up to cover her ears as a second and third shriek hit the air, mixing together as the sound of footsteps thundered towards them becoming a cacophony of noise that jarred her.  She was knocked from all sides as tall girls, short girls, mothers being pulled by their daughters, and girls in hysterics rushed past her and pushed in on her at all sides.

Shouts of “I love you” and the boys’ names filled the air. It wasn’t long until Annaleigh could barely see a foot in front of her. She was jostled from side to side, jaw dropped in shock as she watched the scene unfold. People were shoving each other, jumping up and down, snapping pictures with their disposable cameras, and waving pads of paper in the air.

Of course they’d be stopped, she thought to herself, elbowing a couple of people back who tried to get past her. She felt herself being pushed from side to side, slowly making her way to the back of the pack. Heat surrounded her, closing in on her, as sweat prickled her armpits. The shrieks turned into a roaring sound, causing her head to pound.   

 Annaleigh grunted, feeling something hit her hard in the back and she turned to see a girl with a bright red face due to excitement, embarrassment, the crushing body heat, or the sun she wasn’t too sure. “Who are you?” a girl asked between waving her hands to dry her wet cheeks with the napkin that Joey had just signed and handed back to her.
 
“Me?” she asked, her eyes popping open as she jabbed her finger into her chest. “Oh, I’m…I’m nobody, darlin’. Don’t worry ‘bout me.”
 
“She’s Lance’s friend from home,” Joey called, pointing in her direction with the pen in his hand.

“Yeah, she’s working with us,” Lance called over the loud noise. “She’s our new touring bassist. That’s Annaleigh Carr.” He then lifted a hand over his head and pointed in Gabriel’s direction. “And this is Gabe, our new keyboardist.”

“Uhh—“

“Oh. My. God!” a shriek blasted Annaleigh’s ear drums. Annaleigh pulled her facial features together so quickly, she was sure she could’ve given herself a permanent face lift. At least, that was before the girl decided to re-arrange her face by shoving her notepad and pen into Annaleigh’s cheek and nose. “Can I have your autograph, too?”

“Uhhh—“

“Me too!”

“Sign one for me, too!”

Annaleigh removed the pen—which was practically being shoved into her nostril and cornea—from the girl’s hand and took the notepad and tried to bring excitement to her posture and face as possible. She barely had her name scribbled out—probably illegible due to how much she was shaking. She managed to get a brief glance at it before another notebook was shoved into her face. Do people carry these gosh darn things around wit’ them all day?
 
Question after question was thrown her way all about the boys and working with *NSYNC, and everything about the new album, and, and, and. Her head started to spin, her stomach rocked with sickness. Everyone was crushing in tighter and tighter around her, desperately trying to get closer to the musicians.

Before she knew it, the fans were gone talking and shrieking excitedly, tightly clutching their autographs, glancing repeatedly back at them. Annaleigh watched them go, her bottom lip shaking just slightly. She was sure her eyes were as wide as they could get. She barely heard whatever it was that the boys had decided upon doing next until she realized she was following Joey on autopilot with Gabriel following into step beside her.

Her ears were ringing; muffling the voices and sounds of the rides and attractions around her. Minutes later, a cold wave washed over her as she sat down in the shade, across from Joey who started munching on a funnel cake as if everything that had just happened didn’t happen. Gabriel reached out a hand and grabbed a chunk, popping it into his mouth.

“You ok?” he asked, turning a concerned look over towards her as he chewed.

“Gu vanna bide?” Joey added, his mouthful, pushing the plate towards her.

“Thank ya, kindly,” Annaleigh replied, trying to push a smile to her face. She reached out with shaky fingers, ripping off a piece of the powdered sugar covered treat and popped it into her mouth.

“Are you ok?” Joey repeated Gabriel’s question, his eyes narrowing slightly as he licked the white powder from his lips before reaching up to swing his hat backwards on his head.
 
“That was scary,” Annaleigh replied, feeling her shoulders slump as tears pricked at her eyes. “If that’s what this is gonna to be like, I don’ wanna do it.” She shook her head back and forth, her dark tresses gently hitting her cheeks. “I wanna go home, Joe.”

“Awww,” Joey said quietly. “Don’t say that.” His lips pulled down in the corner into a frown. “It’s ok, Anna. I’ll admit, we haven’t been doing the best job at preparing you for everything.”

“I don’ want to slow you guys down,” Annaleigh said, lifting her arm to wipe at her tears. “Maybe my dad was right. Maybe this isn’ what I should be doing.” She let out a shaky breath of air. “I shoulda jus’ stayed home. I’m not meant to do this, I’m from the South.”

“Noooo,” Gabriel said with a shake of his head. “Just—just hold on for a bit longer. You can’t just leave the boys now.” He put a hand to his chest. “New York is ‘the city that never sleeps’, remember? This is a completely different busy and fast pace than what I’m used to, and it scares me, but it’s also exciting at the same time.”

“Yeah, and we all get homesick, especially when we first started out,” Joey explained, his cheerful attitude slowly changing to one of compassion. “It’s why Lance had called for his mom to fly out to Germany less than a week after we first started.” He let out a small laugh. “We practically attacked each other to get to the phone to call our parent every chance we got.” A thoughtful look crossed his face. “Not that that’s any different than how we are, now.”

Annaleigh let out a small laugh, sniffling. “But, you have now what Justin and Lance had back then to help them out,” Joey pointed out before smacking his lips after licking his thumb free from the powdered sugar. “You have a piece of home with you. You have Lance with you. He’ll make sure you’re ok and you know we will, too.”

“I know,” Annaleigh said with a loud sniff.

“Can I ask you a question?” Gabriel asked.

“Sure,” Annaleigh replied with a nod of her head, letting out a shaky breath of air. She used the heel of her palm to repeatedly wipe the tears from her eyes. Joey reached the napkin under his plate and handed it to her. Annaleigh only managed to get out a “Ksss” in response.

“Why’d you audition to be part of the *NSYNC band?” Gabriel asked, his eyebrows knitting together just slightly to form a look of curiosity. “You knew you’d be travelling and would be away from home for a long time.”

“For a lot of reasons,” Annaleigh replied, reaching for a napkin, dabbing at her eyes. “I wanted to see what this life was like.” She gave a shrug of her shoulders, starting to twist the napkin in between her fingers. She let out a shaky breath of air before resting her elbow onto the table, pressing her mouth into the heel of her palm. “I always thought this was what I wanted to do; to travel and play music. This  was the perfect opportunity.” She swallowed thickly. “I just didn’ know how hard it was gonna be. I shoulda just listened to my mom and dad; they warned me that this wasn’t what I wanted to do. People aren’t like that back home. “

“It’ll take a little while to get used to, but soon it’ll really fuel you and keep you going,” Joey said, putting his hands up defensively. He reached out a hand and gently grasped her wrist. “We all appreciate everything you do and we’re enjoying having you in the house and sharing this experience with us.”

“You just like my cooking,” Annaleigh mumbled and Joey chuckled.

“I’m not denying that,” Joey replied, his eyebrows shooting up just slightly, a grin coming to his face. He then slapped his stomach with his hands. “You definitely know how to make an Italian a happy man.” Annaleigh smiled. “And you have a great smile, natural talent, and you’re fun to be around. You’ve only been around for a short while but you’ve changed things and you’ve put in so much work, it’d be a shame to let it go to waste.”

“I don’ know—“

“You’ll make me very sad if you don’t stay,” Joey said, sticking out his bottom lip into a pout. “I’m enjoying getting to know you better…and your food.” Annaleigh let out a tinkling laugh. “And we’d miss your energy around the house. Everything will be ok; we’ll make sure of it.”

“Joe—“

“Please?” Joey asked, clasping his hands together. “For me?” His eyes widened slightly. “For Lance! He was really excited at the idea of you working with us and you know he wouldn’t suggest you to be a part of the band if he didn’t believe in you and your talent.” A thoughtful look crossed his face. “So, I guess the question is why don’t you believe in yourself?”

Because the only people who ever believe in me leave me, Annaleigh thought with a sigh. “Nothing I guess,” she said quietly. “I’m just scared.”

“So’m I,” Gabriel said quietly.

“So were we,” Joey replied, putting a hand to his chest. “So are we. After everything with Lou it’s like we’re starting over again and we have to prove that we can do this ourselves.” He reached out a hand and gently tapped the bottom of her chin, angling her head up to look at him. “We can do it together; that’s why we’re called *NSYNC. Not just because of our harmonies and dancing, but because we’re in sync in every aspect of our life. We’re always there to back each other up and now you’re part of our family. No one else is going to understand this, so you always have someone to talk to. OK?”

“Ok.” Annaleigh nodded her head, smiling freely. “Thanks, Joe.” She said, drying her cheeks. “I appreciate it.”

“Don’t mention it,” Joey replied before reaching for the plate of partially eaten funnel cake. He ripped off a chunk before handing it to her, ripping off a second piece for Gabriel, and then a third for himself. “Cheers to the *NSYNC family.”

“Cheers,” Annaleigh and Gabriel responded together,  tapping their chunks of funnel cake against Joey’s before popping it into their mouths. Annaleigh chewed happily, before starting to lick the powdered sugar off her fingers before turning towards Gabriel. “So, why did you join the band?”

Gabriel paused, eyes widening slightly as he removed his finger from his mouth before wiping the saliva on his pants leg. He cleared his throat before reaching for another piece of funnel cake, popping it into his mouth. “It’s something I’ve always wanted to do,” he replied with a shrug of his shoulders. “It’s unlike anything I could ever imagine, but I wanted to give it a shot. Lots of things in your life are out of your control, so I wanted to take control of one thing. You know?” He gave her a fleeting smile before getting to his feet. “I’m going to get some of that lemonade they were talking up. Anyone want anything?”

He quickly took Joey’s and Annaleigh’s drink orders, and repeated it to himself a couple of times before removing his wallet from his pocket. Sounds just like my life, Annaleigh thought, watching Gabriel walk off before she helped herself to another piece of funnel cake. The sweet sugar pulled a smile to Annaleigh’s face as she chewed. As long as she had someone there to hold her hand during the scary parts, she was sure she’d be ok.

End Notes:

First update of the year! Happy New Year, everyone!

The Road to the AMAs by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
It's the day of the dress rehearsals for the AMAs and Annaleigh finds out what the boys go through to prepare.

~10~

January 16th, 2000
Los Angeles, California

5:00am

No, Joey! I still have curlers in my hair!”

Lance let out a chuckle before sliding a spoonful of Fruit Loops into his mouth. The sugary taste coated his tongue as the fruity smell twisted and swirled up his nose as he chewed, watching Annaleigh rush through the kitchen, head down, hands covering as much of her hair as possible as Joey chased after her, cackling, a video camera in his hands.

“I’m surprised she’s awake enough to run around this morning,” JC commented around a yawn as he came into the kitchen, using the heels of his palms to rub at his eyes. Lance made a humming sound in agreement as he shifted his gaze to look up at him…only to start choking on his milk when he noticed the state of undress his friend was in.

Whoa. What was that, Lance? He thought to himself as he quickly reached for a napkin to wipe the milk that went dribbling down his chin. JC gave him a look of concern, but Lance stuck his hand in the air giving a brief shake of his head to show that he was ok. “I’m—fine.”

“If you’re sure,” JC replied, lowering himself onto the stool across from him. He let out another yawn before blinking a couple more times, looking less and less tired by the second. That always amazed Lance about JC. How he could really enjoy sleeping one minute, but the next he could be as wide awake as if he had two jumbo cups of coffee.

“I’m sure,” Lance replied, lifting his hand to his chest, slapping at his sternum. “Joey’s been sticking a camera into her face ever since she got up this morning.”

“Crash course in hair, makeup, and wardrobe,” JC said with a nod of his head. “I remember our first time well.”

“Riiight,” Lance replied with a slow nod of his head before shoving another spoonful of cereal into his suddenly dry mouth.

“I’m surprised you’re up so early,” JC added, nodding in Lance’s direction. “You’re always one of the last ones up for this.” He sniffed and let out a sigh before he moved to pour himself a cup of coffee. “I’m surprised she’s up. We had to carry her from the car to the house after our first day of rehearsal.”

Lance laughed a little. “I couldn’t sleep,” he replied, lowering his spoon back into his nearly empty bowl. “Besides, I’ve been worried about how Annaleigh’s been handling everything.” Lance glanced towards the hallway before spinning in his seat to face JCs back. “Joe said she basically had a breakdown at Disney.”

“Can you blame her?” JC asked, looking over at Lance over his shoulder. “This is a completely different world to her. One she’s being introduced to very quickly.”

“No, I guess not,” Lance agreed with a slight tilt of his head.

“You didn’t have a break down, but you weren’t the much better when all of this started for us,” JC reminded him. “None of us were. I mean, J and I kind of had an idea with MMC, and Chris and Joey had Universal, but none of that compared to this.”

“Yeah,” Lance agreed. “That’s true.”

Lance had been too worried worrying about his dance moves and being kicked out of the band than anything he could worry about while being in the band. Everyone had stood up for him, worked with him day and night to make sure his dancing was up to snuff. They helped him stay in the band and he was damn sure he was going to do the same with Annaleigh.

“There are too many people in this house,” Annaleigh declared, the amplitude of her voice quickly rising with her last three words. With a huff of annoyance, she stepped into the kitchen, her head tilted to the side as she removed the curlers from her hair.

The house was noisier than it usually was for the five men. What with everybody screaming at Joey to get his camera out of their faces, the sound of hairdryers going, shouting and calling from across the house, the creaking of wardrobe hooks, the clattering of makeup jars and brushes, and the phones ringing, it was no wonder everyone was up before six that morning. It was dress rehearsal day. They still had a lot they needed to get done before the AMAs tomorrow.

Lance’s eyebrows lifted at the giant hoops in his friend’s hair. That was something he didn’t understand about girls. Annaleigh, for example, naturally had wavy hair. To emphasize that even more, made no sense. He’d be lying if he said it wasn’t a good look for her. It’d look even better on her if she didn’t hold worry and a lack of confidence in the pupils of her eyes.

“At least there are more girls around now,” JC commented, leaning up against the counter, lifting his cup of coffee to his lips. Annaleigh’s eyebrows shot up, corners of her mouth dropping just slightly as she considered his words.

“Come here,” Lance said, lifting his hand, beckoning her forward. “Let me help. Your hands are shaking so much I’m worried you’re going to put a knot in your hair.”

Annaleigh let out a sigh, her bottom lip sticking out in a slight pout as she walked over to the seat in front of him. She plopped down on the chair in front of him and Lance reached for the large green curler that pulled her hair unbelievably tight against her head.

He let out a low whistle. “If you were any tenser you’d be the Hunchback of Notre Dame,” he said to her with a click of his tongue. “What happened to the pageant girl who learned how to be confident in any situation?”

“You’re a pageant girl?” JC asked, his lips making a small pop after he swallowed. He lowered his cup of coffee and used his free arm to hold up his wrist. “That makes so much sense, actually.”

“Ex-pageant girl,” Annaleigh instantly corrected him and JC gave a small bow as if to say “My mistake, m’lady.” Lance could practically see her rolling her eyes. But, that was news to him.

“Since when?” Lance asked, his eyebrows lowering into a look of confusion and curiosity as he stared at the back of her skull. He made a clicking sound with his tongue and slapped at her hand when she tried to reach the back of her head.

“Since…a while,” Annaleigh replied, dropping her hands back into her lap. “I just lost interest in it.”

“But, you and your mom…” Lance trailed off before he quickly unsnapped the rounded plastic end of the curler, the elastic causing it to shoot back into his knuckle. Ow. He carefully grasped the ends of the curler and pulled it out of her hair. “Oh, I get it.”

“And what do you mean ‘that makes sense’?” Annaleigh asked, turning in her seat to face JC. “Ow!” Her hands flew up to her head, grasping at the sore spot.

JC’s eyes widened just slightly as the attention was suddenly put on him. “I didn’t mean anything bad by it, sweetie, I’m just saying,” he quickly explained. “The ‘oh my stars’ and when you walk, you don’t really walk you kind of float, oh, and you kind of have a pageant stance when you’re standing waiting for someone to tell you what to do.”

“You’ve been waiting to tell her that to her face haven’t you?” Lance asked with a laugh as he took all the curlers in his hands and sent them down onto the wooden table. JC gave a simple shrug of his shoulders, his lips curling up into a hint of a smile.

Lance turned back to his cereal, making a face as his teeth squished down on the now soggy colored circles as Annaleigh fluffed up her hair. “I apologize for us not really telling you about all this,” he said to her around his chewing, “we know it’s something you’re getting used to.”

“Yeah, sometimes it’s hard for us to remember that you’re new and not used to jumping from one thing to another so quickly,” JC added. “You look like you’re going to be drop at any second.” He reached back around him with his free hand and grasped the handle of the coffee pot, holding it out towards him. “Do you want some coffee?” He shook the pot and the coffee sloshed against the sides.

“Nah, I don’ drink coffee,” Annaleigh replied waving her hand in the air. She then started gently slapping her cheeks with her hands. “Besides, I can get more sleep when I’m gettin’ my hair done.”

“Suit yourself,” JC replied. “Anyway, we didn’t tell you about all this because it was one of your last days off for a while and we wanted you to have fun.”

“And to get you to stop panicking about the AMAs,” Lance added, putting as much stress on the word as he could. At the same time, he stuck out his finger and prodded her in the side, twisting his finger left and right along with his pronunciation of the syllables in the word.

Annaleigh smiled, letting out a tired laugh as she slapped his hand away.

“You’re not nervous or anything?” she asked, regarding the both of them. “I mean, you’re putting out your new single tomorrow…and ya have a new, and nervous, musician in the *NSYNC band.” She lifted her hand and jabbed her thumb into her chest. “Yeah, hi! In case you forgot, that’s me!”

Lance locked eyes with JC. He quickly looked away from the brilliant blues, ignoring the shock that hit the base of his spine, and the fact that his heart skipped a beat. Lance pursed his lips. “We are nervous,” he admitted. Annaleigh gave a single blink for an answer. “I know what you’re thinking; we’ve been doing this for a long time, so how can we be nervous?”

“Ya got that right,” Annaleigh replied and JC chuckled.

“Well, we’ve been doing this for a while, so in that regard, we could see this as just another performance, or just another song we’re releasing,” JC explained and Lance nodded his head. He noticed that he was talking slowly, choosing his words carefully.

Annaleigh quickly noticed that about him; he liked to be eloquent whenever he talked and to get his point across in a clear and concise way. It was no wonder they always described him as the serious one.

JC darted out his tongue and wet his pink lips and Lance felt a breath of air rush out of his body. Stop it, Lance. Lance lifted his bowl to his mouth and started to drink the lightly warm milk as quickly and loudly as he could.

“But, we always worry about the first song we release from the new album not just because we’re putting ourselves, our work, out there, but because the fad in music changes so fast.” JC snapped his fingers repeatedly to show his point. “You could be a hit one day and then the next…” Annaleigh slowly nodded her head, taking in every word that he said. JC sighed, a slightly distant glint appearing in his eye before it disappeared with a blink.

“And everything with Lou…people are anxious to see what we’ve come up with despite everything that had happened,” Lance added, quickly jumping in to the explanation. JC gave a slight nod of thanks, which Lance returned. Chris and JC, Lance would say, took the knowledge of Lou’s actions the hardest. Or at least, they showed their feelings towards the situation the most—and in some cases, they showed it by not showing their emotions about the situation. “That’s what makes it so nerve wracking. We’re preparing ourselves for all of the questions that we’re going to be asked but…we can only focus on the past for so long.”

JC set down his coffee cup. He started counting off on his fingers, pulling them back with his other hand. “It’s said and done, we learned from our mistake of blindly trusting one person to do everything, we’re working with a group of people we’ve handpicked and trust that share our creative vision, and there’s nothing else to do but move forward,” he said before dropping his hands down to his sides with an audible slap.

“You aren’ scared that somethin’ else Lou has done is gonna mess anythin’ else up?” Annaleigh asked, her eyebrows all but slamming together as she looked back and forth between the two boy band members.

“Not with the team we have,” JC replied, shaking his head back and forth and Lance made a humming sound in agreement. “We know how to handle things now. Don’t forget, there’s still a lot things about this industry that we’re learning as we go along, just like you.” Annaleigh made a noise in the back of her throat.

 “So, what is it that you’re afraid of?” Lance asked her. “Really.”

“I’m from Clinton, Mississippi, James,” Annaleigh replied.

“Trust me, I’m aware,” James said with a little laugh, Annaleigh joining in as she lifted her hand to scratch at her eyebrow.

“And?” JC pressed after a moment of silence.

“I’ve wanted ta leave for so long, but now I’m here, I’m scared I’m not ready for this,” Annaleigh said after a lengthy smile. “I’m scared that I, once again, jumped into something without thinking and wanted ta do whatever it was Lance was doin’ just because it sounded more fun than doing things alone. And once again I never really thought ‘bout what it entailed.” Her lips twitched. “I’m scared I’m going to let y’all down.”

“Do you always do what Lance does?” JC asked, his eyebrows shooting up in amusement.

“Yes,” Lance instantly replied and Annaleigh stuck her tongue out at him. “I’m not complaining.” He gave a half smile before saying quieter, “Not all the time.” That time, Annaleigh actually spat at him, earning a laugh from JC.

“It was mainly because I knew our friend, Darren, would be wherever Lance was so…” Annaleigh admitted and JC smiled. “With my parents fighting all the time, I just wanted any reason to get out.” She let out a sigh, her shoulders slumping just slightly. “But with this, I wanted to be able to support Lance with somethin’ cause he’s always done so much for me.” Her eyes widened and she quickly added, “Not jus’ him, but all y’all.”

Unlike me, Lance thought with a small frown. I couldn’t be there for her when everything went down. A stab of guilt hit him straight in the stomach.

Not only with what he had missed before, but he was still holding back information that she didn’t know about her own life. He felt terrible about it, but he knew that it really wasn’t his place to tell her, no matter how close or distant they seemed to be. He’d support her nevertheless no matter how she’d decide to take the news in the future. He at least owed her that after his years of absence.

“You better get going,” Lance said to break the silence. “You have a lot to do today.”

Annaleigh stared blankly at him for a moment. “Rehearsals aren’t even until the afternoon,” she replied, blinking repeatedly.

“Have you seen your schedule for today and tomorrow?” JC asked, his eyebrows shooting up.

“Puh-lease, I’ve had nightmares from it,” Annaleigh said, slapping her hands to her face. Lance and JC exchanged amused glances as she pulled her hands down her face, stretching her skin as she went. “Nightmares!

“And so you know that you have photo shoots and interviews and you need to get your hair, makeup, and wardrobe done,” JC pointed out to her, “for different outfits and different styles. Better get used to it.”

Annaleigh grabbed a lock of her hair, pulling it in front of her face, peering at it. “There’s nothing wrong with you, it’s just part of the business,” Lance said, practically snapping at her. “Would you stop? It was weird for us at first, but wardrobe does keep your personal style in mind. The more events you do, the easier it is and the faster it’ll get done.”

Annaleigh opened and closed her mouth as she looked back and forth between them. “No offense, but y’alls outfits have never really been the greatest thing I’ve ever seen,” she said, her upper lip curling just slightly. “I mean, it’s like y’all got dressed in the dark or—“

“Go. Now,” JC said, interrupting her in a mocking parental tone, pointing his finger out the door. “And after the AMAs we’ll talk more about your vocal lessons, little lady.”

“Fiiine,” Annaleigh replied with a small pout, getting to her feet. “I’ll catch y’all later.”

“I think she’s giving Chris a run for his money with how nervous she’s getting,” Lance said as soon as he was sure his friend was out of earshot.

“Just as long a she doesn’t throw up,” JC said with a frown. He gave a brief shake of his head. “I think she’s handling it kind of well, actually.”

“Annaleigh and ‘handling it well’ never go hand in hand,” Lance explained. “I’ve known her for years and she panics before everything.”

“Don’t pageants teach you all about self-esteem and being confident and stuff?” JC asked, his eyebrows knitting together. Lance blinked before hiking an eyebrow. “I’ve been known to watch some on occasion.”

“Well, to answer your question, it does,” Lance said as he got up from the table to clear his place. He set his bowl and spoon into the sink, turning on the faucet to rinse it. “Ace just hates not having control over things. She’s always been like that.”

“Always?” JC asked. “Or since things with her parents started going south?”

Lance was silent, letting the thought crash over him. JC gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze before making his way out of the room. Lance placed his hand over the burning spot where JC’s landed a split second before, gently massaging the area before reaching for the phone


7:10 am

Annaleigh wasn’t sure how long she had been asleep before she was woken up by soft voices, clattering, and the sound of metal hangers clicking together. She blinked open her eyes and pushed up from the mattress she was curled on, rubbing her eyes.

“Oh, good, you’re up,” Monica Blount, her hair and make-up advisor woman, or whatever she wanted to be called, said with a smile. She stuck her hand in Annaleigh’s face. “Chop, chop! We need to get everything worked out before your show tomorrow. And…we need to fix your hair.”

Annaleigh blinked in confusion before getting to her feet, shuffling across the floor and over to the mirror propped up against the side of her desk. “Oh my stars,” she said, her eyes popping wide. Her brown hair, which had been perfectly curled and twisted before was sticking out in every direction. Lines from the edge of her pillow and the lines on her comforter were pressed into her face. “And you and Johanna and Terry have already worked hard on this.” She started finger combing her hair, wincing. “I’m so sorry.”

“Relax,” Monica said, waving her hand in the air to try and catch Annaleigh’s attention. “We started with you early because the boys can take so long.” She rolled her eyes, giving a grin. “You’re not scheduled to start until now, anyway. Plus, you looked exhausted; we thought we’d give you some more time to sleep.”

“Thank ya, kindly,” Annaleigh said with a yawn before rubbing at her eyes. “So, where do we get started?”

“Follow me to the make-up room,” Monica replied with a bright smile, holding out her hand towards the teenage girl.

It has to be illegal to be perky this early, Annaleigh thought to herself as she got to her feet. She took Monica’s hand and allowed the older woman to pull her through the house and out to the back porch.

The table and all the chairs were pushed to one side. A long curtain was strung up in an arc in one corner to make a makeshift change room (which really made no sense to have there as it faced large windows into the backyard). A smaller table was lined up against one wall with a large mirror sitting on it, angled to rest against the wall.

Johanna Pepitone, one half of  the wardrobe team, was unpacking jar after jar of make-up, setting it down onto the table, while Terry Smith, the other half, started unzipping the clothing bags that hung on the metal portable clothing rack at the other side of the room. Shoes lined the floor and sat in a pile in all sizes and styles.

“Everything’s set up for you over here, Mon,” Johanna said with a bright smile. “Nice to see you again, Anna Leigh.”

“It’s Annaleigh,” Annaleigh instantly replied, trying not to snap at the woman. “It’s one word. Anna rhymes with sauna.”

Johanna cringed, her lips pulling down wards as they parted, showing her teeth. “Sorry,” she said, lifting her hand to hit herself in the forehead with the palm of her head. “I’ll remember it, I promise.”

“You better, we’ve got a long tour ahead of us,” Terry said with a short laugh. She waved her hand in the air as if trying to shoo away a fly. “Don’t worry, kid, I’ll make sure she gets it right.”

“Alright, let’s get this party started;” Monica said, clapping her hands together, the sound echoing around the room,”you have a long day today.”

“Where’re the boys?” Annaleigh asked, stretching her arms above her head. She sighed as she dropped her arms down to her sides.

“Phone interviews, radio interviews,” Monica said with a happy sigh. “You name it, they’re doing it.”

Annaleigh let out a muffled cry of surprise when Monica grabbed her cheeks between her thumb and index finger, squishing her face. Her long fingernails pressed into her skin just slightly as she turned Annaleigh’s head this way and that. “Hmmm, I was wrong; you have a cool skin tone.”

“I boo?” Annaleigh asked, reaching up to touch her face. “Beels warm ta be.”

“No, sweetie,” Monica said with a tinkling laugh, shaking her head. “It means that pinks, blues, purples, ad reds are better colors of make-up for you. You can also mix in brown since you have these amazing honey colored eyes.” She gently patted Annaleigh’s face before moving to sort through all the make-up.  Annaleigh lifted her hand and rubbed at her cheek. “We’re going to want to make a statement, so I think I’m going to give you a shimmering winged eye.”

“While she’s doing that, we’re going to get you measured,” Johanna said as she pulled Annaleigh over to the other side of the porch. Annaleigh stumbled over her feet at the sudden pull.

“Uh…you already measured me, didn’ you?” Annaleigh asked as Johanna hook out a tape measure, dropping it down by Annaleigh’s head to the floor while Terry started measuring around her chest.

“Your size could fluctuate pretty easily in this line of business,” Terry explained. “So, we need to measure you as often as we can before any events to make sure your clothes fit your perfectly.”

“Which also reminds me, it’s our job to let you know how important it is that you stay healthy for your mind and body while on tour,” Johanna added. She looked over at the two women who nodded at her. “We’ve seen many girls in this business think they can get more work done, and be better, if they cut things out of their lives.”

“Like eating,” Monica said with a sigh, crossing her arms over her chest. “Eating disorders are common. Sadly.” She lifted a warning finger. “We don’t want to see you going through the same thing. You’re too smart for that.”

“With late nights, and long days, it’ll be easy to fall into the routine of eating junk, fast food, and not working out,” Johanna added. “That along with the stress…” She trailed off, shuddering. “It’s not good.”

“Yes, ma’am, I understand,” Annaleigh said, blinking rapidly, trying to wrap her mind around everything that was being thrown at her.

“Well, we don’t mean to mellow you out,” Monica said as she dragged a chair over to the table. She then stood behind Annaleigh and pulled her hair back from her face, securing it with one of the many elastic bands on her wrist. “We’ve got a lot to fit in before all your interviews and photo shoots and everything today, so let’s get started.”

“32B!” Terry called out.

“Wait, what?” Annaleigh asked, her eyes popping open.

“You don’t know your own bust size?” Terry asked with a snort. Annaleigh turned her head to see Terry standing by her side, tightly pinching the measuring tape between her fingers.

“No! I mean, yes, but…” Annaleigh trailed off, briefly closing her eyes. “I really have ta do all this before rehearsals? “

“You didn’t think this was going to be a cake walk did you?” Johanna asked with a grin.

“Cake does sound good right now,” Annaleigh said with a sigh, earning a laugh from the women.

 Johanna made a humming sound as she finished measuring Annaleigh’s body. She removed a hanger with a floral top from the clothing rack. “What do you think of this?” Annaleigh looked over at her and felt her upper lip curl. “No? OK, then.”

“Now, from our previous meetings, we know you’d like to stick with your personal style as much as possible,” Terry explained, starting to spread out clothes on the rack. “Your accent is something new, something fresh around here. Your story is something everyone is talking about. It’s not only you, but Gabe, too. You’re two of the youngest members of the *NSYNC band, people want to know about you.”

“There’s nothin’ special about me,” Annaleigh replied with a shake of her head.

“That’s where you’re wrong, Cookie,” Monica said with a shake of her head. “Everybody is special, even you. It might take you a while to figure it out, and you might not believe anybody—or any guy—that’ll tell you that.” She leaned into Annaleigh’s line of vision and winked at her before crossing the room to the make-up station. She grabbed a jar of foundation, twisted off the cap, and started swirling a brush inside. “But you are. Don’t forget that and I’m being serious when I say it. The music industry will be tough and it’ll challenge you in many different ways, and may want to change you. Don’t let that happen.”

No pressure or anything, Annaleigh thought, pushing her lips up into a smile. No pressure at all.


2:45 pm
Shrine Auditorium

Annaleigh tapped the pointed tips of her red tinged cowboy boots against the carpeted floor before lifting her hands to brush the coiled locks of hair that framed her face back behind her ears. She squinted against the bright lights that were pointed directly at her face all the while trying to keep them open wide enough so her face didn’t look pinched in pictures. She slid her fingers underneath the strap to the tank top that started digging into her shoulder before adjusting her sleeveless flannel shirt.

“It’s been a lot of fun,” Gabriel was saying with a small smile. His arms were crossed over his chest and he was leaning back just slightly, looking as easy going as he always seemed to be. “It’s been a lot of work, but you always have to work hard with the things you love doing.”

The reporter gave a nod of her head, a satisfied smile on her face as she scribbled on the pad of legal paper in her lap before glancing at the tape recorder that sat in the middle of the table separating the interviewer and the interviewees.

“And how has it been working with each other?” she asked, looking back and forth between Gabriel and Annaleigh. “You’re both the youngest in the band and this is a big change from what you’ve described your lives as before. Have you found a support system in each other?”

“Yeah, we’re growing to be pretty good friends,” Gabriel replied with a nod of his head. He unfolded his arms and rubbed his hands together before looking over at Annaleigh, eyebrows lifted into a curious gaze.

“Sure ‘nough,” Annaleigh replied, blinking rapidly. A smile came to her face as she sat up straighter, rolling her shoulders back, tilting her chin back just slightly. Classic pageant stance just like JC said, from the waist up, anyway. “No one else is goin’ through what we’re goin’ through so it’s great to have someone ‘round who gets what you’re feelin’.”

“Yeah,” Gabriel agreed with a nod of his head. “Normally, it’s just me and my mom so it’s cool to have someone else around. But, she’s been very supportive.”

“And same with you?” the woman asked, turning towards Annaleigh. “Supportive parents?”

Annaleigh froze for a moment, her jaw going slack. She shifted her gaze over towards the *NSYNC boys who were standing behind the cameras. She locked eyes with Lance whose eyes widened before he lifted his shoulders just slightly, bringing his hands, palms up too.

Go with it,” he mouthed, his features settling back into a relaxed look.

“Myyyyy dad’s very supportive, yes,” Annaleigh replied, stalling for a moment as she shifted her gaze back towards the interviewer. “It took him a little begging and pleading to let me do this. He just worries.”

“And your father, Ryan Carr, was the lead singer and guitarist for Oathkeeper and now his daughter is touring as well,” the woman said with a bright smile with her chicklet white teeth. Her eyes shone and she leaned forward as if she was going to divulge in a good gossiping session. “He knows what life on the road is like; he just wants to make sure you’re ok. But, what was it like growing up with the Ryan Carr?”

“Fun?” Annaleigh said as more of a question than a statement. How did you answer a question like that? She didn’t know her dad as “the Ryan Carr” she just knew him as dad. He wasn’t a rock star, he was a religious studies professor, and worked at the church. She had no juicy news or gossip for anyone, not that she would spill her guts to just anybody. “Shoot, dad’s been great. He’s always been supportive, but he isn’t afraid to let me know if I’m getting’ my hopes up too high ‘bout somethin’. He’s been awesome.”

“And I’m sure I’m not the only one that thought that Ryan Carr would never settle down.”

Annaleigh was sure the muscles in her face would pop with how hard she strained to keep her face neutral from that statement alone. She looked over at Gabriel whose eyebrows shot up, the only indication he gave—apart from the corners of his lips pulling downwards just slightly—to  the fact that he had heard the statement.

Justin let out a loud cough from where he was standing, turning his head away as he tugged at the collar of his shirt. The interviewer must’ve noticed the tension that was starting to make its way into the room. She let out a short laugh before clearing her throat. She brushed at a piece of invisible lint on her skirt before crossing one leg over the other.

“So, rumor has it, after a little run in at Disneyland, that you and Lance have been friends for years,” the woman pressed, pen tip pressed to the pad of paper, ready to start scribbling down notes.

“I’ve known him since I was…seven,” Annaleigh replied, her eyes narrowing slightly as she thought. “He’s one of my closest, best friends.” She lifted a hand into the air before dropping it down to her lap with a light slap. “He’s always supported me over the years so I thought I’d give it a shot and be there to support him.”

She paused before a sweet smile came to her face. She tilted her head to the side. “Since I know you’re just fixin’ to ask, I’ll tell y’all right now nothin’s goin’ on between me and Lance,” she announced. “We’re friends. That’s all.” A small laugh slipped past her lips. “Shoot, I’ll even right that down for ya. In big letters. Underlined. Twice.”

Gabriel let out a loud snort, one he quickly turned into a cough as he lifted his hand to hide the smile that fought its way onto his face. Annaleigh lifted her eyebrows into a look of innocence over at the woman who blinked, clearly stunned as the NSYNC boys tried to quiet their laughter.

Annaleigh’s smile of laughter quickly faded as a flood of nervous sweat flooded and prickled her armpits. That was stupid, Ace. Your first interview and you had to be rude. Her chest swelled as she took in a deep breath of air. You know better than that. You’ve always been taught to be polite to everybody. But…she wasn’t in Mississippi anymore. It wasn’t a town where everybody knew everybody and wanted to be polite. Here, she’d get weird looks from anyone she gave a cheerful “hi” to on the street.

Annaleigh prepared herself to apologize before the interviewer started speaking. “That won’t be necessary,” the woman replied, quickly regaining her composure. She let out a sigh as she folded her hands down onto her lap. “I think that’s just about it. We should have this out in a couple of days. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. I know you have a busy schedule.”

“Happy to oblige, ma’am,” Annaleigh replied with a more genuine smile as she got to her feet, Gabriel following her lead, offering her hand. The woman set her pad of paper aside and clicked off the tape recorder before taking Annaleigh’s hand, giving it a tight squeeze (on purpose?) as she shook her hand before shaking Gabriel’s.

In a matter of moments, everything was packed up; the blinding lights were out of her face, and the clicking of the camera slowly dissipated. She let out a sigh, feeling her body relax from the nervous, tight hold that had taken over her body.

“You think that was ok?” she asked Gabriel, wringing her hands together.

“For your first interview? It could’ve gone worse,” Gabriel replied, his lips parting into a half smile. “All that matters is that you got your point across.”

Annaleigh widened her eyes in innocence before waving her arm towards the boys. “Well…they…they warned me,” she said before stomping her foot with a pout. “I was just listening to instructions.”

“Wait, no, I said there was a possibility they might ask about you and Lance,” Joey quickly rattled off looking startled, “and that you should politely set the record straight.”

“Where I come from, that is putting it politely,” Lance commented. He gave a sympathetic smile. He reached out his arm and looped it around Annaleigh’s shoulders, leading the way out of the small room in the Shrine Auditorium building. “You could’ve been a little bit more polite, Ace.”

“Hey, the guys don’ call me Firecracker for nothin’, right?” she asked, leaning into his side.

“That’s right,” Chris agreed.

“So…nothing happened between you and Lance?” Joey asked, looking back and forth between the two friends. “At all?”

“No,” Lance replied. “Not at all.”

 “I don’t believe that,” Chris declared. “Just like how Justin insists he and Britney are just friends.” Justin said with a bark of sarcastic laughter.

“So you’ve never—“

No, Joey,” Annaleigh said, interrupting Joey. “I’m not sweet on Lance at all.” She was silent for a moment before twisting her mouth to the side into a hint of a smile. “Besides, I’ve been a little too preoccupied with our other friend, Darren.”

“A little?” Lance repeated with a laugh and Annaleigh gave him a pointed look.

I knew it,” Justin shouted, causing everyone to jump. Annaleigh gave him a confused look. “I knew all those years ago—when you came to our showcase?--there was something going on with you two.” A grin came to his face before he used his thumb to motion towards Lance. “So, y’all haven’t even kissed or anything?”

“Why does it matter?” Lance all but snapped, pinching the bridge of his nose with his forefinger and thumb.

“Geeze, Grumpy, it’s just a question,” Justin said, his smile getting wider. “Maybe it’s a good thing we took you to Disney. You fit right in with the other dwarves.” He angled his head towards Chris. “You can join Dopey.”  Chris merely lifted his hand into the air, giving Justin the finger.

“Hey, we have a lady around,” JC said with a frown. Chris gave a shrug of his shoulders in response.

“Yeah, what’s with the at-ti-tude?” Joey asked, snapping for emphasis with each syllable before he gave his best friend a curious look. “You ok?”

“Yeah, it’s just…” Lance trailed off, sighing through his nose. He pressed his lips tightly together, feeling his fingers slowly curl into a fist. “I’m just not interested in her like that. That’s all.” He was silent for a moment before repeating, “Why does it matter?”

“Maybe because you’ve been friends since, like, forever,” Gabriel mused aloud. Annaleigh looked over at him. He stared ahead as he walked, his eyes unfocused on any single thing, chin resting in his hand.

“So have you and C, but I don’t see you two into each other,” Lance said with a snort.

“Depends on who you ask,” Joey instantly replied, earning a round of “Ohhhhs” from Chris and Annaleigh as JC practically shouted an obviously exaggerated, “Ha. Ha. Ha.”

I didn’t mean to snap. People just ask that question all the time, that’s all,” he replied. Lance gave a wicked grin, eyebrows lifting. “Besides, she hadn’t even had her first kiss until she got out here to audition.”

A loud gasp rushed past Annaleigh’s lips as she removed Lance’s arm from around her, eyes wide. “James!” she cried as Justin let out a cackle, clapping his hands together. Her face burned.

“What?” he asked, his eyes widening as well, voice cracking just slightly. He stepped away from her, hands up defensively as she moved to punch his shoulder. “It helps prove my point.”

Annaleigh slowly narrowed her eyes. She pursed her lips just slightly. “This comin’ from the guy who got his first kiss at a game of spin the bottle and practically ate Missy Williamson’s face,” Annaleigh replied, slowly smiling before facing the other boys, placing a hand over her heart. “He was so eager, bless his heart.”

“Ooh, burn!” Chris said behind his fist, laughing.

Annaleigh watched, warning sirens going off in her head, as Lance hiked an eyebrow, his lips twitching upwards into a challenging smile. “Also coming from the girl who chickened out, during that same game, and had the guy kiss her cheek,” he replied. He gave a smile of triumph as everyone around her laughed. Annaleigh opened and closed her mouth for a moment before an idea came to her.

“Shut up, Poofu!” Annaleigh replied and Lance’s smile quickly faded. He ran his hand over his face as it turned bright red. JC, Chris, Joey, and Justin all burst out laughing. Gabriel smiled.

“Ha, ha, ha,” Annaleigh sang, popping her leg into the air.

There was silence for a moment until Chris said, “So nothing really happened between you—“

“Shut up, Chris,” Annaleigh and Lance said in unison.

“Ok, then,” Chris said, the grin still on his face, holding his hands up defensively. He led the way over to the side auditorium door and pulled it open, stepping into the darkness of the wings. “Let the hours of torture begin. And here’s our puppet master now.”

“Very funny, Chris,” Wade said, turning away from the workers who were carefully setting up the five giant marionettes the boys were using for the show. He switched off the microphone in his hand and flipped it once before catching it, tapping it against his chest. “Gabe, Boots. I hope the interview went well.”

“It was fun,” Gabriel replied with a shrug of his shoulders. “They asked about our experience playing, our lives at home, what we expected from the tour, stuff like that.” His tilted his head back just slightly. “Pretty normal questions, I suppose.”

“Better then the repeated questions we always get,” Justin said as he started to stretch his arms in front of his chest as he walked over to his mark on the stage. “But don’t worry; you have that to look forward to when you’re on the red carpet.”

“Oh, goody,” Annaleigh replied with fake enthusiasm. She then put her hands to her head. “I can’t even think about the red carpet right now.”

“That’s good, just focus on what we have to do right now,” JC said, placing a hand on her shoulder, giving her a warm smile. “Just take it one step at a time.” Annaleigh regarded him with surprise when she saw the glint of humor in his eyes. The minute JC stepped into the building, he embodied the idea of getting down to business and getting things done. “Besides, boots are made for walking, right?” He gently nudged the side of her pointed shows with the heel of his toe before he speed walked his way onto the stage. Annaleigh put her face into her hand as soft chuckles and laughter surrounded her.

“Oh, ha, ha.” Annaleigh rolled her eyes. She planted her hands on her hip and stuck out her foot, practically jamming the heel of her boot into the floor. “Seriously, no one wears these unless it’s for a special occasion.”

“So what would you call an awards show, Boots?” Wade asked, his eyebrows shooting up. He rocked back and forth on his heels as he waited for her answer. To think she had actually talked him up when the topic of him and he choreography came up in the interview.

“He does look really young but he knows what he’s doing,” Gabriel had explained as he tugged on the shoelace to his shoe that he had resting over his knee as he had one leg crossed over the other. “Wade knows when to be serious and knows how to push people to do their best. It’s what makes everybody respect him.”

“I’m impressed with his skills,” she had said with a head nod, clasping her hands around her knee. “You can see that he has a real passion for what he does, and like Gabe said, that he knows what he’s doin’. He’s workin’ hard for the boys and he’s not in everybody’s face about it.”

Ha! How wrong she could be.

At times.

“You’re makin’ fun of me,” Annaleigh said as she parted her lips with a small popping sound.

Wade bowed his head for a moment before looking up at her, angling his head to the side. “Yyyep.” He popped the “p” at the end of the word. He sucked in a breath of air before calling in a loud voice, “Alright, I need everybody in their places; we’re going to rehearse this until we get things perfect.”

Yyyyep,” Annaleigh repeated in a nasally voice, making a face as she turned to watch him leave. She crossed her arms over her chest, shifting her weight from one hip to the other, shaking her head back and forth.

She didn’t know how she was going to make it through the awards show let alone the rest of this day.

 

End Notes:

Thanks to everybody who not only nominated, but voted for my work for this year’s NF awards. I was so shocked to see that I had tied for best series alongside creativechaos. I’m honored to share that title with her.

This Is Where Your Life Starts (I) by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
The AMAs!

~11~

AMAs
January 17th, 2000
3:45pm

Knock. Knock. Knock.

The day, in essence, hadn’t even started and the smallest things were making Lance jump and his heart race. To say that he was nervous and excited about the AMAs was an understatement. There were no words in the English language that could describe how he, how any of them, were feeling.

The car ride over to the hotel where they would be staying before and after the event was filled with silence partially due to nerves for those who were awake and because the others were getting as much sleep as they could.

Between now and whenever he woke up tomorrow, they were all going to be in a constant state of motion from dress rehearsals to interviews, to the actual performance, and the after party he already knew would be a rager that would go on into the night. His feet ached at the idea of it and he made a mental note to have a back up place to sleep in the very real chance Joey would want to bring someone back to the room with him.

“Joe, could you get that?” Lance asked from where he was lying face down on his mattress, trying to get some sleep that he could get before the big swarm of cameras and voices swirled his brain mixing into one giant ball of…fame.

The repeated squeaking of Joey jumping up and down on the bed across the hotel turned into a thud before his friend made his jolly way towards the hotel door, whistling happily. Normally, they’d all be booked into hotel suites for events of this caliber; however, they needed to be back into the swing of rehearsals the very next day.

Lance lifted the top of the two pillows underneath him and slammed the top one down onto his head. Through the pillows he heard the muffled click of the hotel door opening, a pleasant exchange, and then he felt two small hands wrap around his ankles, shaking his legs back and forth.

“Rise an’ shine, sleepy head,” a light, cheerful voice sang. “The guest of honor is here.” Lance rolled onto his back, pushing his pillow up off his face, giving a half smile of amusement.

“Hey, Jazz,” he greeted Jasmine who had her arms out towards him as if she jumped out a cake shouting “Ta da.” He lifted his arm and glanced at his watch. “I thought you’d be here earlier.” Jasmine lowered herself down onto the corner of his bed, lifting a hand to hook her blonde hair behind her ear.

“I kinda had the plane delayed taking off because I had so much stuff in my bag,” Jasmine explained, giving a sheepish grin. She lifted a hand before Lance could say anything. “It actually wasn’ shoes this time, but the curling iron, and the crimper, and the flat iron, and hair drier.”

“Hey, if it helps you look great for the red carpet, go with it,” Joey explained. Lance wordlessly lifted the pillow from his head and tossed it over to his friend, smacking him in the side of the head.

“Hey!”

“Y’all sure know how to put on a production ‘round here,” Jasmine said as her tinkling laugh faded. “I felt like I was a celebrity bein’ escorted in with security.” She gave him a bright smile. “Thanks for that, by the way.”

“You’re welcome,” Lance replied. “And thanks for coming.” He grasped the chain to the cross necklace around his neck and made sure it sat between the unbuttoned portion of his blue unbuttoned polo shirt. “Anna will be excited to know you’re here.”

Jasmine pouted, eyes twinkling in amusement. “You think you’d be more excited ta see me,” she said.

“Yeah, Lance, where are your manners?” Joey asked and Lance turned his head to see the smirk on his face. “You have a lovely lady sitting on your bed and you haven’t given her a hug yet, you bastard.”

“As charming as ever aren’t you, Joe,” Lance said, deadpan before sitting up, sliding to the end of his hotel bed to give Jasmine a hug.

“It wouldn’ be me if I passed up the chance to get a glimpse at your life,” Jasmine said with a smile as she pulled back from the hug. She then gently shoved Lance’s shoulder with the heel of her palm. “Besides, I couldn’ leave my girl hanging. Darren said he wanted to come, but had a big school project or somethin’ due this week.” Her lips curled up into a teasing smile. “She’s jus’ gonna have to settle with me.”

“Yeah, he told me yesterday that he couldn’ make it,” Lance replied, lifting a hand to rub at his burning eyes.

Despite how tired he felt, he could feel himself waking up. He’s heard a lot of people refer to it as a “Zombie Walk” and he couldn’t agree with them more. He could feel so tired and just want to crash anywhere he could find a place to lie down, and he’d most likely look that way at the end of the day, but at the same time the day was filled with so much energy, he felt like he could go on for hours after everything was over.

His eyes landed on the large box sitting on the wooden table that held the TV. “What’s that?” he asked, pointing at it.

“The other reason why the plane was delayed,” Jasmine replied as she got to her feet. “Care package from everyone back home.” Jasmine clapped her hands together as she made her way over towards it. “I even managed to get your Grandpa Jim and Grandma Bass to put in somethin’ for y'all for your big night. Joey, there’s stuff in here for the rest of y’all, too.”

Joey practically launched himself off of his bed, hurrying to her side to help her open the box, eyes wide, a grin of excitement stretched across his face. “Thanks, Jazz,” Lance said with a wide smile. “But, I don’t think we have time to open it now, we have to get going.”

“Of course we have time!” Joey said, shooting Lance an incredulous look as he started patting his pockets, looking for something sharp.

“Joe, we only have fifteen minutes left to eat dinner and get our hair and makeup done,” Lance protested as he twisted his arm to glance at his watch. Jasmine glanced over at him in amusement and Lance felt his face burn. It didn’t matter how used to the business he got, he hated the feel of makeup. He understood why it was used, but it felt like a layer of saran wrap was being put on his face.

“That’s still plenty of time,” Joey replied, waving his hand in the air. “Call the others.”

“And Ace too, tell her she’s got a whole bag of jelly beans in there,” Jasmine said with a grind and a twitch of her eyebrows. Lance paused for a brief moment before reaching for his phone in his pocket.

“There is, isn’t it?” he asked. Jasmine just gave a shrug of her shoulders before turning back towards the box Joey was struggling with.

“I’ve got ya covered,” Jasmine reassured him as she lifted her hands towards her ear lobe. Lance watched as she removed the earring from her ear before jamming the sharp metal end into the tape. A pop filled the air

Lance sighed, quickly punching in a number with his thumb before lifting the phone to his ear, listening to it ring. “Joe, we have to get going,” he said, starting to pace as he waited for an answer. “Everyone will be waiting in the lobby by now.”

“Chill, Sleeping Beauty,” Joey said as he pulled the tops to the cardboard box upwards. He immediately dug his hands inside, looking around until he let out an “Ah ha!” and lifted a navy blue bag with his name written in silver on it out of the box. “I still need to brush my teeth and stuff.”

“Just down drown yourself in cologne again,” Lance said with a sigh, rolling his eyes in Jasmine’s direction. She put a hand over her mouth, giggling. “We all still have to share a car with you.”

“What?”

“Not you,” Lance said into his phone, responding to Justin’s confused tone. “Hey, my friend from home, Jasmine, came and she brought us all a care package of candy and stuff. Come on up.”

“You had me at candy.” Lance could picture the wide smile that was for sure crossing the baby of the band’s face. “We’ll be up before you know it.”

“If Ace is with you, bring her up, too,” Lance quickly said into the phone, trying to talk over Justin relaying the message to everyone else. He could hear JC’s protests from the other end of the line. “She’s got a whole bag of jelly beans waiting for her.”

“Jelly beans? Really? Of all he candy out there--?”

“Just get up here,” Lance said before ending the call.

“Wow, Lance,” Jasmine commented, swinging her head to toss her hair over her shoulder, “you’re more talkative at home.”

“Ehh, today, this is the only time he doesn’t have to talk business all night long,” Joey explained, waving his hand in the air. Lance pressed his lips together and gave a nod of his head.

He received that comment a lot since he had left for Orlando. “Lance, why are you so quiet?”, “You’re not as talkative as you used to be”, and his personal favorite, “You’ve changed.” He couldn’t help but laugh at the last one. He hadn’t changed, he’d just been…careful about what he said and how he acted. Everybody knew who he was; he was part of a brand now and he had to upkeep the NSYNC name with as much professionalism as he could.

There was a rapid knock on the door and Jasmine quickly tip-toed across the floor—as well as she could with her thick heels—and flattened herself against the wall sectioning off the bathroom and open walking area at the front of the hotel room.

Joe quickly crossed the room to the door and pumped the handle, pulling the door open and stepping out of the way to make room for Justin and Chris who practically burst through the front door. JC followed behind them, mouth twisted to the side, one hand up to his neck, clasped around his infamous lion head necklace, sliding the charm back and forth on its chain.

“Lance, maybe you can help me out,” Annaleigh said, blowing out a huff of hair through her nose, her cheeks puffing up for a brief moment. She held her arms out by her sides. “This doesn’t look weird for the red carpet, does it? Like too laid back?”

She brushed a few loose strands of her hair behind her ears. They had kept her hair wavy, but braided two locks of her hair back behind her head to create a bit of a braided headband. Lance took the time to quickly look her over as she pushed the rolled up sleeves to her white jean jacket up past her elbows. A billowy green spaghetti strap tank top, a black shimmery skirt over a pair of jeans, and black heeled round toed shoes rounded out her look.

“You look great,” Lance replied, feeling a smile come to his face. Her nose wrinkled just slightly as an uncertainty crossed her face. “Really. You look beautiful.”

“And if it comes from Lance, you know he’s tellin’ the truth,” Jasmine commented as she stepped out from her hiding place, her arms crossed over her chest.

Annaleigh’s eyes popped open, after a bout of blinking rapidly, taking in the sight of her best friend. Her lips parted into a smile before she clasped her hands together, a gasp of shock and excitement slipping out of her mouth. “Jazzy!” Lance quickly lifted his hands, sticking his index fingers in his ears right before Jasmine let out a loud shriek, flapping her hands, and running in place before she pulled Annaleigh into a hug, squeezing her friend tightly. “What are you doing here?”

“Lance asked me to come down,” Jasmine replied, taking a step back from her friend, looking her up and down, giving a quick nod of approval before taking her friends hands, squeezing them tightly. “Joey told him that you were feelin’ homesick, so…” Her eyebrows shot up. “Girl, you look amazing.”

“Hey, we told you the same thing,” Justin said, turning away from the box, holding the green bag with his name on it.

“Yeah, but y’all were jus’ bein’ nice,” Jasmine said with an amused grin before sticking her tongue out at him. Justin shrugged before he ripped it open and put his hand inside before retrieving a small box of fruit loops. He shook it from side to side.

“I’d need 50 of these, or more, to fill me up,” he announced.

“Besides,“ Jasmine said, turning back to her friend, ignoring his comment.  “Have you seen what these fellas are wearing?” Lance frowned, looked down at his brown leather coat, blue polo, and dark pants. He reached his hand up to lightly touch the gelled spikes in his hair.

“What’s wrong with it?” he asked, exchanging confused looks with his friends..

“Nothing, darlin’ don’ worry,” Jasmine said, waving her hand in the air. “I’m just saying you’re really looking casual.” She let out another squeal, clapping her hands together. “I can’ wait for the show, this is so excitin’!”

“It won’t be exciting if we don’t get going,” Lance said, waving his hands, trying t usher everyone out of the rooms.

“Johnny and Wade are probably wondering where we are,” JC added, and Lance widened his eyes, motioning in his friend’s direction as if to say “See? He gets it!” Nevertheless, he peered curiously into the box. “And you know how much Johnny hates it when we’re late.”

“Alright, alright, I’m going,” Joey said before he bounded across the room in quick strides, closing the bathroom door behind him.

“Wait! I want my jelly beans,” Annaleigh said before slowly making her way towards the box in the corner of the room. She held her arms out to her sides, practically gripping JC’s bicep for support as she reached him, trying to walk carefully on her heels. “Settles a girl’s stomach, y’know. Jazz you’re amazin’.”

“Girl, tell me something I don’ know,” Jasmine replied, bending at the waist in a low bow before making her way towards the door on the very tips of her toes, waving her arms up and down.

“Those ballet classes are coming in handy I see,” Lance asked with a grin as he made sure he had everything before following her towards the door.

“It’s a great party trick, especially barefoot,” Jasmine replied with a bright smile as she opened the hotel room door before dramatically whisking herself out into the hallway. “Hurts like a thorn deep in your sole, though.”

Lance laughed quietly, following her. As soon as he stepped out into the hall, he could feel the nervousness sink in. This was it; in a few moments’ time they’d be on their way to the red carpet of the AMAs, and then they’d be walking the carpet, and then they’d be performing.

Rehearsals had been a bit rocky with marionettes malfunctioning, messed up dance steps, running behind schedules, people were trying to get quick interviews with them, the fans who were there for sound check distracted them.  The fans were getting a taste of what it was that they’d be putting out into the word. It was a little hard to believe that their “OMG, that was amazing” and “I loved it” were genuine and not just being said because they were in the same room as *NSYNC. He did feel bad to even think about ulterior motives for his fans, since he knew they wouldn’t be there if it wasn’t for them, but he couldn’t help but wonder what exactly they thought about the song.

Those worries ran through his mind all the way to the lobby of the hotel. He hadn’t even realized he had moved from the corridor of the hotel room or even got into the elevator, he was that out of it. He only snapped to it when he felt a warm hand rest on his shoulder.

“You ok?” JC asked him, a curious look on his face. “You look a little pale.”

“Yeah.”His voice cracked, shooting his tone into a higher pitch—one he hadn’t heard in a long time. Feeling himself blush Lance cleared his throat, trying to regain control of his vocal chords. “Just starting to get a bit nervous.”

“Starting to?” JC asked, his lips twitching into a smile of amusement, his eyebrows lifting. He put a hand to his stomach, his fingers forming a fist, pressing into the skin. He rarely ever showed his nervousness on his face, but you could bet he’d give his tell-tale sign of his stomach being in knots. Lance shoved his hands into his jeans pockets, his knuckles striking the side of his phone and it started throbbing in pain; maybe it was life’s way of warning him against what he was thinking in that moment. “God, I’ve been nervous for days.”

“Well, I’m not going to lie to you,” Johnny spoke up, instantly catching everyone’s attention as their soft chatter died down, “this is a big deal and everybody’s treating it as such. But, I don’t want it to get to your head. We all know that no matter what, at every stage in your career, you have to prove yourself time and time again. As far as everyone else is concerned, nothing you’ve done before this has ever mattered, but it all matters—everything you’ve done in your career thus far has mattered.”

He pressed his hands together before setting them against his lips. He was silent for a long moment and Lance shifted his weight from foot to foot, looking around the lobby of the hotel. He could see fans milling around outside, talking excitedly. He lifted a hand in his direction and a couple screams hit the air. He laughed lightly as he watched other fans instinctively start screaming albeit looking confused as to why had caused that reaction to begin with.

“I know this all hasn’t been easy for you, but I have to commend you on your hard work and how well you’ve taken everything. I am proud of each and every one of you.” He looked over at Annaleigh and gave her a smile. “Even you and Gabe, Missy.”

Annaleigh’s features contorted into a look of confusion as her chewing slowed. She held a plastic bag of dark blue jellybeans in her hand; blueberry, her favorite flavor. A brief second later, the confusion cleared. “Missy, Mississippi, I get it,” she said with a half smile. She hiked an eyebrow before shifting her gaze over towards Wade. “Better than Boots.” Wade merely crossed his arms over his chest, his nose wrinkling just slightly.

Wade glanced back and forth between the two of them before he looked over at Joey who gave a shrug of his shoulders before focusing his attention back on his manager. “If there’s one thing you’ve all impressed me with time and time again it’s not only how seriously you take this, but how much fun you exhibit not only on stage, but in every aspect of your life,” he continued. “It’s been fun working with you, and I’m glad you all have this opportunity despite the unfortunate circumstances surrounding it. You all should be proud of what you’ve accomplished.”

“And being on time,” Wade said, lifting his voice. Lance turned to see Gabriel step out of the elevator as the doors slid open. He paused for a moment, blinking rapidly with one eye before carefully rubbing it with the heel of his palm.

“Sorry,” he said, as he lifted his hand to run his fingers through his hair. He quickly glanced at his fingers before wiping them on his dark pants leg. “I missed my alarm.”

“As long as you’re here,” Johnny replied with a nod in his direction. Gabriel gave a smile of thanks. “These things never really start on time anyway.”

Johnny reached up and reached for the brim of his cap, using the heel of his hand to wipe at the line the hat made in his forehead. No matter where he went, you could find Johnny with his baseball hat on. Even on the red carpet. Lance had found it odd at first, but it was just who he was, like JC always wore his lion necklace, Joey was known for his love of superman, and Chris was known for his changing hairstyles.

“Nevertheless, we should get going,” Johnny said with a nod. “I’ll make sure the security team is ready and have them bring the cars around.”

Justin instantly took Johnny’s spot, a serious look on his face. One Lance was sure was going to give way into his usual hyperactive self the minute they got into the limo. “Alright, guys,” he said with a sigh.

Achem,” Annaleigh loudly coughed before slapping at her chest. She then gave him a bright smile. “Sorry, choked on a jellybean.”

And girls,” Justin corrected himself, giving her an even sweeter smile in reply, causing Jasmine to laugh. Annaleigh smiled back, pleased. “This is it. We’ve come a long way with this album; we’re finally getting able to do what we want to do. We’re finally getting to show it to the world.”

He held out his hands, one towards JC, the other towards Chris. “Lance, if you don’t mind,” Justin said to him.

“Uhhh,” Lance hesitated, looking over at JC who held his hand out towards him. He slid his hand into JC’s and felt his older friend curl his fingers around his hand, gently tightening his grip on Lance’s. JC silently peered at him with his blue eyes. His lips curled up into a small smile and Lance’s mouth suddenly went dry.

He felt a wave of heat rush over his body as his heart doubled the speed of its beating. He repeatedly licked his lips and cleared his throat. Annaleigh, who held onto his other hand, gave his hand a slight squeeze of encouragement before she took Gabriel’s hand. Wade and Jasmine joined the group, finishing off the circle. Lance shifted his gaze to the floor and cleared his throat again.

“Um, Dear Heavenly Father, we thank you for all the support you’ve given us through this difficult time,” Lance said, his eyes falling shut. “Thank you for your daily strength and being there for us when we needed you and we ask you to please help us get through this exciting and scary moment in our lives. Amen.”

As everyone else in the car muttered an “Amen” Lance quickly pulled his hand out from JC’s grip, resting his hand on his knee. He tapped his finger nails on his jean clad knee before wiping his palm on his jeans, trying to rub away the tingling feeling in his hand.

“Come on, let’s go already,” Chris loudly declared as he made his way across the lobby.

“Anyone else’s stomach in knots?” Gabriel asked, a look of uncertainty suddenly crossed his face.

“Here,” Annaleigh said, holding her bag of jelly beans out towards him. “Might not help, but it’s always been comfort food for me.”

“Just don’t eat too many,” Lance warned him. “This one here ate too many one day before school  pictures.”

“I remember that,” Jasmine said with a bright smile, looping her arm through Annaleigh’s. “Tongue and teeth as blue as blueberry pie.”

“Called her Smurfette for a while,” Lance finished with a laugh. Annaleigh rolled her eyes. It was the bet reaction she could muster about it. He remembered all the days she’d come home insisting she hadn’t been crying about it. The best thing he could muster at the time, apart from a “It’ll blow over soon” was “It’s better than being called Half Pint.”

“Ooh, blueberry,” Gabriel said with a smile as he reached a hand into the bag, grabbing a handful. He tilted his head back and popped the sugary pieces into his mouth. “My favorite.”

“See!” Annaleigh said, leaning forward to lock eyes with Lance. “I told you it wasn’t just my ad an me that liked it.”

“Yeah,” Lance muttered, using his teeth to pull his bottom lip into his mouth. He felt his brow furrow as he lifted a hand to rub at his chin. “Funny that.”

“Gabe, this is my best friend, Jasmine,” Annaleigh said, using her free hand to motion between her childhood friend and her band mate. “Jasmine, this is Gabriel the guy I was tellin’ you about. He plays keyboard in the band. He’ll be walking the carpet with us.”

“Hi,” Jasmine said with a bright smile, practically sticking her hand in Gabriel’s face, a bright smile on his face. “Nice to meet ya; Annaleigh’s told me a lot about ya. Everyone calls me Jazzy.”

Gabriel blinked once, twice, three times before taking her hand, shaking it. “Gabe,” he replied after a moment of silence, a half smile coming to his face. “Hi. Hey.”

“Come on, let’s go,” Chris said, jumping onto JC’s back, practically knocking his unsuspecting friend over. “Giddy up.”

“Chris, if you leave footprints on my coat I swear…” JC left his threat trailing off as he knocked his friend off his back before he tugged at the collar of his gray leather coat. He looked at Gabriel and Annaleigh over his shoulder, using his thumb to indicate the fans outside the doors. “And this is just a small gathering of fans, it only gets bigger and better from here.”

“Woohoo, let’s do this!” Joey said, clapping his hands together, reaching up for the sunglasses that sat on his head. He tipped them down onto his nose and gave Annaleigh and Jasmine a smile. “Welcome to our world, ladies.”

“Just get outside, Joe,” Lance said with a small laugh, shoving at Joey’s shoulders, knocking him forward.

JC pushed through the revolving doors of the hotel and the cheers swelled in decibels. It instantly flooded Lance’s body, filling him with so much energy, he was sure he was starting to float. His lips pulled back into a smile, he angled his head back just slightly, and he felt himself burst with confidence.

“Wow, that’s a lot of people,” Jasmine said as she and Annaleigh followed the group outside. She gave Justin a smile of thanks as he offered her his hand to help her through the gap of the circular doorway and the slide of glass, stepping out into the hot sun.

“Yeah, tell me about it,” Annaleigh muttered in reply. Lance could see the fear in her eyes and the uncertainty as she started to tug at her clothes.

“Don’t worry about it,” Wade said as he slid past them, lifting his hand in a wave towards the crowd. “Just have fun.”

“He’s right you know,” Lance agreed and Annaleigh turned her wide brown eyes towards him. “You used to do pageants, right?” Annaleigh slowly nodded her head, giving him a confused look. “Well, you’ve performed in front of hundreds of people, probably thousands during your whole pageant career. Just think of it as one giant pageant; you have this initial moment to present yourself, and then the talent portion, and then it’s all over.”

Lance watched as a spark seemed to flicker in her eyes before growing with intensity as each second passed. Before he knew it, his old friend stood in front of him. She straightened her posture, rolled her shoulders back, and lifted her chin, following the group to the limo.

She was learning quickly; to fake confidence even if she was the most nervous she had ever been. Or maybe she had mastered that years ago. It had helped him throughout his bad days in *NSYNC. He just hoped there’d be days soon where he didn’t have to fake anything.



6:30pm
The AMAs

Annaleigh had no idea what went on backstage at any awards show, but just like everything else, she was getting a crash course in them and soaked up as much information and experience as she could. All the while, trying to keep the contents of her stomach down long enough to even have the opportunity to try and learn.

Between learning about seat fillers, the pre-party when people find out ahead of time if they won to prepare a speech or at least to get an idea of what to say, when the award winners actually got back to their seats after accepting an award, the handlers, where all the awards were held backstage, where the award winners go after accepting their awards and on and on. It was so much more than she could ever learn in school but she still got the same result; she was sure her head would explode with all the information.

“This is so exciting,” Jasmine said as she performed a quick pirouette. “I can’t believe I’m actually here.” She reached out and pinched her arm, her nose wrinkling as she winced.

“You’re goin’ to be covered in bruises if you don’t stop that, Pumpkin,” Annaleigh said with a laugh as she adjusted the neck strap to her bass. “You’ve said that, oh, twenty times by now.”

“And it still hasn’t sunk in,” Jasmine said as she lifted her hands to brush her hair back from her face. “We’re actually at the AMAs, looking at all these people with our own eyes and not through a TV screen.” She lifted her hand and gave a finger wave to a sharp dressed man that walked past them, who nodded as he did so.

“Who was that?” Annaleigh asked.

“No idea,” Jasmine replied with a grin and a wink. “But, I bet he was someone important.”

Annaleigh laughed. “How do you always manage to find a way to make me completely forget what it is I’m worried about,” she asked her friend.

“Because over the years I’ve noticed that you tend to worry about every little thing that you have stuck to that bulletin board you call your brain,” Jasmine replied, wiggling her fingers towards Annaleigh’s head. Annaleigh made a face, batting her hands away. “And as your best friend, it’s my job to tug at that little piece of paper you call a memory until it rips free. If I have to wave at a couple of handsome men I don’t know, I will.”

She then looped her arm around her friend’s shoulders before using her free hand to pluck at a string on her bass. “Speaking of handsome men, maybe I should come out here, you’re surrounded by ‘em,” Jasmine said with a grin.

“Yeah, yeah.”

“I’m serious,” Jasmine said, her eyebrows shooting up. “I mean, NSYNC are the hottest guys on the Earth. Well, Lance is cute, I mean I’ve known him for years so I don’t exactly think of him that way, y’know?” She then started counting off on her fingers. “But, JC, Joey, Chris, Justin—“

“Ehh, his curls don’t really do it for me,” Annaleigh said, interrupting Jasmine. But, she kept going as if she hadn’t been interrupted.

“Wade, Gabe,” she finished her list. “And that’s not even counting those who are interested in you.” She held up two fingers. “Which is two…Boots.” She bumped her hip against Annaleigh’s and winked.

“Even if I was interested—which I am not by the way—I couldn’t do anything,” Annaleigh said, pointing a warning finger in her friend’s face. “You know the rules I have to follow.” She paused for a moment. “Who’s the second?”

“Gabe.”

“Uh, no way,” Annaleigh said with a laugh of disbelief. “Here, I thought I was just me who was pain-ful-ly oblivious to guys liking me.” She hiked an eyebrow. “You didn’ see the way he looked at you? Gabe isn’t interested in me. Trust me.”

“Ok…but, what’s the point of even being in this band if you can’t take advantage of the nice view?” Jasmine asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

Annaleigh let out a loud “Ha”, her eyes widening as it punctuated the silence that suddenly swept over backstage. Her face burned as various stage hands gave her odd looks. She cleared her throat and lowered her voice as Jasmine giggled. “I have a job to do, you know,” she reminded her friend.

NSYNC on deck. Places people, let’s do a quick tech check. Are the marionettes functional?

“Which you should be getting onstage for,” Jasmine said, poking her in the side. Her lips twitched as she snorted. “Boots.” Annaleigh gave her an annoyed looked as she started making her way across the backstage area to join the rest of the NSYNC band as they started making their way on stage behind the drop down curtain. “What? It’s cute. Better than Bookworm.” She tilted her head to the side. “Although, I can see why you weren’ complainin’ about that.”

“Ha, ha,” Annaleigh replied, reaching into her pocket for her phone. She tossed it over to her friend and Jasmine caught in her hands. “Dad says he’ll call right after.”

“And your mom?” Jasmine asked, sliding her friend’s phone into her pocket. “You think she’ll call?”

“Not really counting on it, to be honest with you,” Annaleigh replied with a sigh. Jasmine frowned and she shrugged. “Just saying. Wish me luck.”

“You don’t need it. You’ll ace it for sure.”

Annaleigh lifted her hand in a wave before heading on stage, allowing a stage hand to loop a portable microphone pack around her waist, hooking to her guitar, to amplify the sound without the need of actually being tethered to her instrument. She flexed her fingers and shook out her arms.

“You ready?” Billy asked with a smile as he carefully and quietly got behind his drum set. He removed his drum sticks from the back of his

“Ready to be sick,” Annaleigh replied, adjusting her guitar strap for the hundredth time. First it was too high, then it was too low, then it was too tight, then it was too loose. She pulled her jacket out of her armpits and smoothed her hand down her top.

“I second that,” Gabriel said as he adjusted some knobs and dials on his keyboard.

“It’ll all be over before you know it,” Billy said, spinning his drumsticks around his fingers. “Just follow the music. We’ve rehearsed this so many times, it’ll be like second nature and you won’t notice it.”

“It’s almost time, everybody,” Kevin explained as he made his way down the line of musicians, giving them a nod in greeting. “Justin will count us off, we’ll have five measures of silence and the new start with No Strings Attached and Justin will count us off again, and we’ll go into Bye Bye Bye.”

As soon as he settled behind his own keyboard, the swell of cheers in the audience died down and Annaleigh managed to catch a sliver of the spotlight shining on the host, Norm MacDonald—not that she had any idea who that was.

Whether or not you know the names of all the members of our next performance, I can guarantee you that you will one day very soon. Justin, JC, Chris, Joey, and Lance have swept America by storm and have swept your daughters off their feet. Here to debut their newest single, Bye, Bye, Bye, it’s NSYNC.”

Justin’s low count—“one, two, three, four”—rumbled through the speakers backstage and Annaleigh started counting to herself. The familiar song, “I’ve Got No Strings” from Pinocchio masked the sound of applause and cheers before NSYNC’s trademark harmonies sang out “No Strings Attached.” The ground shook under Annaleigh’s feet as the pyro went off and she started playing.



10:30pm
AMAs After Party

Loud music pounded through Lance’s body, shaking and rocking every nerve in him. Flashing neon lights lit up the dark room packed with party goers. Despite the loss of the Favorite Pop/Rock Band/Duo/Group AMA award to the Backstreet Boys, they had a great performance and a good reception to boot. That’s not to say it went off without a hitch; there were a few malfunctions with the marionettes and the back-up dancers’ harnesses, and, and, and.

And Wade had brought up each thing they had done wrong the minute they stepped off the stage, but just like the rest of them, he was excited with what they had accomplished. He was just as amped as the other boys and offered words of encouragement and excitement to the band as well, especially to Gabriel and Annaleigh who looked as if they couldn’t believe what they had just done.

And now they were all moving to the beat of the music as if performing was as natural as breathing to them. “Ok, what about that girl over there?” Joey asked from beside him, elbowing him in the side. “What do you think?”

Lance lifted his glass of soda to his mouth as he turned in his seat to look over at the girl that Joey was pointing to. He angled his head to the side as he took in the leggy blonde that shimmied along to the beat of the music, hands in her hair, eyes closed to the pack of guys ogling her as they danced around her, trying not to be too obvious with their staring.

“I think Kelly would kill you when she finds out,” Lance replied after swallowing.

“You mean ‘if’?” Joey asked and Lance shook his head.

“No, I don’t,” he simply replied with a slight purse of his lips. Joey let out a short laugh before turning back around to the bar, grasping his beer. He tilted his head back and tossed the drink into his mouth, swallowing it in one gulp. “You know I’m right.”

“Shut up,” Joey said deadpan before letting out a heavy sigh. “Ok then, let’s find one for you.”

Lance groaned. “Joe—“

“You’ve been sitting here all night, you haven’t taken up anyone’s offer to dance all night,” Joey said shoving his shoulder. “And trust me; you’ve had plenty of offers.”

“Just distracted, that’s all,” Lance replied, tapping his fingernails on the cup in his hand. He peered over the dance floor and watched for a moment as Annaleigh and Jasmine danced with Gabriel. “What do you know about him?”

Joey waved his hand to get the bartender’s attention before turning back towards his friend. “Who, Gabe?” he asked. “I don’t know much. Seems to be off by himself a lot even with the band. I mean, when he’s not with Firecracker. Why?” Lance nodded his head in the boy’s direction. Joey followed his gaze and chuckled.

“Wade’s the one you need to worry about, not him,” he said, gently hitting his friend on the shoulder. “I mean, come on. Boots? He’s really laying it on thick with her in case you haven’t noticed.”

“I’ve noticed,” Lance replied with a sigh. How did could anyone not notice? He had been around Wade enough to see the difference between when he likes a girl, and when he was strictly business. Luckily for him, he could have both at the same time, considering Annaleigh’s role with the band. But, they both had rules to follow. “I’m not too worried though. It’s just…I mean, I know Wade, but I don’t know a thing about Gabe. He seems familiar to me, though.”

“Come on, Lance,” Joey said, shoving his shoulder. Lance made a noise in the back of his throat as some of his soda sloshed out of his glass and onto his pants. “I know you an’ Anna have grown up together way back yonder in the countryside—“

“Clinton isn’t the country,” Lance interrupted his friend, looking at him out of the corner of his eye. “Although I do have to give you points for your Southern accent. Not bad.”

“Well, thank ya, darlin’,” Joey said, putting a hand over his heart, batting his eyelashes. Lance let out a laugh, shoving his shoulder in return. “I’m just saying, you and I both know Annaleigh can take care of herself. She knows Johnny’s dating rule, and she’s really getting a crash course with this music thing so even if she were allowed to do anything, I don’t think she’d have any time to.”

Lance sniffed. Joey was right of course. He knew Annaleigh, almost to a T; her work was important to her and she did have the tendency to really go for the gusto on some things. “Everything will be ok,” Joey concluded. “What we need to be focusing on is getting you a dance with that fine lady over there.”

Joey changed the subject, pointing across the dance floor to where a brunette was bobbing her head to the beat of the music, sitting by herself at a table. She twirled her hair around her finger with one hand, giving a finger wave in his direction with the other. Lance lifted his hand, waving in return and the girl’s smile widened as she bowed her head.

“Ah, see?” Joey asked, getting to his feet. He grabbed Lance’s arm, pulling him to his feet. “Go! You’ve been sitting around all night.” Lance stumbled as he was shoved forward. “Have fun.”

Lance wiped his palms off on his jeans, making his way through the dancing crowd towards the girl. He could tell immediately that she was looking for a good time in more ways than one. He’d just let her know flat out that it wasn’t going to be the case.

That’ll never be the case, he thought, putting a bright smile to his face as he reached the girl. “Hi.”


Annaleigh turned her head away from the pounding music, giving her some reprieve from the notes, melodic tones, and pulsing beats from drilling into her skull. She loved not only *NSYNC’s music but a lot of the songs that were being blasted through the speakers, but did she want it pounded into her ears at 20,000 decibels? No.

But, she knew her ears were a goner the minute she had stepped out of the car at the party. The music was playing so loudly, she could hear every distinct word in the song…from down the street! Or at least, that’s what it had seemed like to her. Nevertheless, she was ready to have a good time and knew that this after party was the real event of the night.

Everybody was excited for *NSYNC’s new album. Fans were screaming and yelling and crying the minute they had spotted the five boys as they pulled up outside of the venue, desperately wanting to express just how much they appreciated the group and what they meant to them. Celebrities came up to the boys all night to wish them well with their music and how good of a performance they had and she could only stand there in awe as she met the Backstreet Boys, and Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, and Tm McGraw, and, and, and.

Marquee lights were tilting and angling, arching across the sky. Paparazzi and newscasters, and the press in general lined up lined up one walkway, shoving their microphones and cameras into the faces of people that happened to walk by.

This is really it, Annaleigh thought as she looked around at the crowded dance floor at the many people who were thriving on the high spirits of the night. Everything really changes from here on out. Her stomach started twisting in knots at the thought of it.

Thinking about home—and talking to her dad on the phone—normally brought comfort to her, but now? Would people treat her the same? Would they treat her differently? Did they see her as a celebrity or just Annaleigh?

 “Hey!” a loud voice shouted in her ear, making Annaleigh jump. She turned her head to see whoever it was, only to be blinded by a bright light mounted on top of Joey’s video camera.

“Joe, get that gosh darn camera outta my face,” Annaleigh said, turning her head away as she forcefully shoved her hand into the lens of the camera.

“Come on, just answer some questions,” Joey said with a half smile. Annaleigh squinted against the light and Joey’s smile faded slightly as he lowered the camera. “Everything ok?” She couldn’t quite hear the words, but watched his lips move to form them. He leaned closer. “Do you want to talk about something?”

Annaleigh twisted her mouth to the side before nodding her head. Joey tilted his head back before waving his hand, motioning for her to follow him. Annaleigh stepped away from the loud music, practically forcing people out of her way to get through the crowd, following Joey through a side door. She walked over to the dark staircase and walked up a couple of stairs before sitting down on the cold metal all sound once the door was closed.

Joey instantly turned around to face her as soon as the door shut. “Lance was just worried, but he was talking to someone so he wanted me to check on you,” he explained. “You don’t seem like you’re having that much fun.”

“I’m fine, Joey,” Annaleigh replied. It was his turn to give her a pointed look. She sighed. “This is still just weird for me. I don’t think I fit in here. You always knew you wanted to perform, I just thought I did because I thought it was a cool idea.”

“Come on, this is a momentous occasion,” Joey said, giving her a reassuring smile. “Of course you fit in. It was weird for us at first too, you know, but it’s just part of the business.”

“Well, maybe this business thing isn’t me. And, it’s not you either. Y’all just love to goof off and have fun,” Annaleigh said, planting her hands on her hips. “I like to curl up an’ read a book sometimes y’know? I like being at home watchin’ movies or jus’ sitting in the peace and quiet. It’s just what I’m used to.”

Joey slowly nodded his head. “I understand that, I do,” Joey said to her, glancing down at the camera in his hands. “But, it’s just one night.”

“And it’ll be another night after that, and another night after that,” Annaleigh reminded him.

“You don’t always have to go to these things,” Joey said with a small laugh. “And between you and me, I hate business side of things, but it won’t hurt to get to know how it’s all done, so you won’t be taken advantage of.”

Annaleigh opened and closed her mouth. “That…makes sense,” she replied.

“Relax and have some fun for…an hour,” Joey offered, lifting his eyes skyward for a moment. “If you’re still ready to go after that, it’s Super Joe to the rescue. Stick with me, kid, no one has more fun at parties than me.”

“I don’t doubt it,” Annaleigh replied, giving Joey a smile. “Ok, Joe, I trust ya.” Joey lifted the camera in his hands and tilted it back and forth, giving her a pleading smile. Annaleigh’s upper lip curled slightly.

“How am I going to film what life is like surrounding this tour, if our hot new bassist won’t let me film her?” he asked. He then lowered the camera and pouted. “Pllleeeaassee? I’ll be your best friend. Who needs Lance? He’s not as much fun as me.”

Annaleigh laughed, shaking her head back and forth. “You don’ know Lance like I do, Joe,” she replied. Joey let out a loud snort, arching an eyebrow in an “Oh yeah?” kind of way. Joey did spend more time with him in the past few years, but she was the one that had grown up with him.

“Just two minutes, I promise,” Joey said, lifting the camera for a second time. Annaleigh huffed but gave Joey a smile nevertheless. “Ok. Here we have our new bassist, Annaleigh Carr wearing a lovely black ensemble completed with her stylish cowboy boots.” She didn’t want to change her clothes just to go to another party, but Monica, Johanna, and Terri had insisted. Annaleigh looked down and pointed her foot before pushing her bangles up her wrists. “And that’s Annaleigh, one word. Rhymes with sauna. She’ll be quick to correct you. So, Annaleigh, what’s something you’re looking forward to with the upcoming tour?”

“Just seeing the fans’ reactions, I guess,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug of her shoulders, feeling her side ponytail gently brush her right shoulder. “All y’all have been workin’ really hard to show that you’re serious about your music and to show the fans what you can do now that you have full control both inside the studio an’ out. Not jus’ to show your fans, but to show all those that don’ think y’all should be taken seriously.”

“And are you nervous about the first show?” Joey asked.

“Not yet, it’s a long, long ways off, but I’m sure I will be,” Annaleigh replied, shrugging for a second time. “But, with all the pageants I’ve done, it’s taught me how to work well under pressure and to keep your composure.” She pointed a finger at him. “After the performance, though, don’t be surprised to find my head in a trash can.”

“Please, you’ll play as great as you look and you know it,” Joey said with a laugh as he lowered his camera. “That was good, thanks Ace.”

“Happy to oblige, Joe,” Annaleigh replied, twisting her mouth to the side, giving him a smile nevertheless. She then jerked her thumb over her shoulder. “I’ll be there in a minute, I just want some time to make sure my ears stop ringing.”

“Sure thing,” Joey replied before making his way down the rest of the stairs before pulling the door open, the loud, thumping music appearing for a moment as he disappeared into the crowd.

End Notes:

Well, there was more to this, but I guess it was too long so the ending got cut off, so I'm splitting this into two parts.

Sorry it's been so long since an update. I'm trying to get back into the swing of this. Been going through some bouts of writer's block with this and lack of motivation.

PS: Thanks for anyone and everyone that's checked out my Valensync story.

Annaleigh's outfit for the AMAs: http://www.polyvore.com/ace_spades_ch_11_12/set?id=122582258

This is Where Your Life Starts (II) by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
And the second part of the last chapter. Sorry for the delay.

~12~

Annaleigh barely had any time to get her wits together when they tensed at the sound of footsteps behind her.

“So…you’re a pageant girl,” Wade commented, his lips twitching just slightly as Annaleigh whirled round to look up at him. He arched an eyebrow just slightly, an amused look on his face. “That explains a lot.”

“Are you stalking me or something?” Annaleigh asked with a frown. Wade rolled his eyes before crossing his arms over his chest.

“More like coming back from the bathroom,” he said with a snort. He dropped his arms back down to his sides. “But, you haven’t answered my question.”

It was more of a statement than a question, but she wasn’t going to correct him on it. Not on that subject anyway. She wasn’t in the mood for talking, that’s all she had done since she got up that morning. “Ex-pageant girl, thank you,” Annaleigh replied. “You’re looking at the reigning Glass Slipper Ultimate Grand Supreme.”

“Your majesty,” Wade replied, giving an exaggerated bow. Annaleigh rolled her eyes as he took another step towards her. “So why’d you stop doing pageants?” He shrugged his shoulders and rolled his head on his neck before adjusting the black blazer he wore over his Blink-182 t-shirt. “You made it pretty clear you’re not a part of them anymore. I wasn’t eavesdropping by the way. Or rather, I wasn’t trying to.”

Annaleigh opened her mouth, before letting out a sigh, peering over at him. She crossed one leg over the other, leaning back against the railing of the stairwell. It was something people had asked her every time she mentioned that she didn’t partake in pageants anymore, but she was pretty vague with her answer, stating that she had just lost interest. She was going to be around him for a while, might as well let him know a little bit about her.

“Pageants were somethin’ my mom and I did together,” she replied after a moment of silence. Wade slowly nodded his head. “After she left, I didn’t do another one, although Lance’s mom offered to do ‘em with me. Just wouldn’t be the same.”

“Sorry about your mom,” Wade replied, lowering himself to sit down on the step behind her. “That sucks.”

“Yeah.” Annaleigh stretched her legs out across the step, pulling down the hem of her skirt as she did so. “I mean they’re not really broken up--she jus kinda left--but she doesn’t seem to want to be in the same room with him and he kind of doesn’t either, but he still calls her and tries to talk to her—I don’t know. They haven’ been in the same room together for forever—barely even talk on the phone—it’s weird.”

Wade stared at her for a moment before running a hand over his face, cupping his chin with his hand. She gave an apologetic look at the waterfall of words that came out of her mouth. She had gotten better at staying on one topic in conversations but at times she could jump from topic to topic and add in little anecdotes in one breath. Especially when she was stressed out.

“If it helps, my parents aren’t together, either,” Wade commented and she blinked in surprise. “I haven’t seen him in years; it’s just my mom, my sister, and me.”

“At least you have a sister,” Annaleigh said with a sigh, pulling the hem of her dress lower, silently cursing not only Johanna and Terry, but Chris and Joey for convincing her to wear a dress that short. Not only had she been uncomfortable in it all night, but she was freaking cold.

“Correct me if I’m wrong, but you have a sister, and…” Wade trailed off, closing one eye as he thought, counting off on his fingers. “Two brothers.” Annaleigh gave him a confused look. “Unless you don’t count, what was her name?” He snapped his fingers. “Oh!  Jasmine, or Lance and that guy Darren. Even more with JC, Justin, Chris, and Joey.” Annaleigh’s lips twitched slightly. “So, you see my point? You have a bigger family then you think.”

“And I’m grateful for it, but I don’t have the family I want,” Annaleigh replied. “It’s always just been me, my mom, and my dad. Now it’s jus’ my dad and me and I don’t even know where she is. It’s like she doesn’ want me to know where she is, or she doesn’t care…or she doesn’t want me anymore.”

Or this is just between your parents and has nothing to do with you,” Wade said with a shrug of his shoulders. “It sucks, but the problem is with them, not with you. They need to figure things out in their own time.” Annaleigh made a humming sound in the back of her throat. “But you have to work with what you’ve got and you’ve got talent as a musician.”

“Shoot, you’re just sayin’ that to butter me up,” Annaleigh commented, with a half smile.

“Maybe,” Wade agreed with a boyish smile, causing Annaleigh to laugh. Her laughter echoed around the stair well. He hiked an eyebrow. “But, you know I’m right.”

“Maybe,” Annaleigh replied in the same tone of voice and this time Wade chuckled. “I haven’t told a lot of people about my mom. Thanks for listening.”

“Sure,” Wade said with a smile. “We better get going or ‘Super Joe’ might think I’ve kidnapped you.”

Annaleigh snorted. “Shoot, like I’d be a damsel in distress,” she said with a roll of her eyes. “I can hold my own with boys; you haven’t seen me four-wheeling.” She then gave Wade a sweet smile, exaggeratingly flipping her hair over her shoulder making her way down the stairs. “You city boys know nothin’ ‘bout having fun.”

“I thought it was blondes that had more fun,” Wade commented, clicking his tongue. Annaleigh’s gaze shifted up towards his bleached blonde hair.

“You wouldn’t know much about that, would you?” she asked him, her smile getting a bit bigger as she reached out her hand to tug at a lock of his two-toned hair. She then pulled open the stairwell door, rejoining the party.

..

.

Up. Down. Up. Down.

Her eyes parted slightly before she opened them fully, instantly regretting it as a sharp pain seared her eyes, shooting into her temples, causing them to pound and throb in time with her heart beat. The curtains that faced her slowly lifted and fell along with the moving pillow. She let out a sigh, closing her eyes, willing herself to fall back asleep, the throbbing pain slowly ebbing away. Then it hit her:

Pillows. Don’t. Move.

Blinking in confusion against the harsh light she slowly became aware of her body. She was warm, she felt blankets around her. One hand pressed into the mattress under her stomach, the other on something hard, yet soft. One foot slowly dragged back and forth across the mattress, the other tucked underneath her, her knee pressing into a bundle of cloth. She dragged her palm down across her “pillow”, trying to figure out what it was that she was lying on. The pads of her fingers grazed over ridges and bumps until they stopped at…something elastic?

Annaleigh suddenly jumped, eyes widening, a groan escaping her mouth as the bright light practically seared her corneas, as a hand tightly clamped around her wrist. She felt a thumb slowly slide back and forth from the palm of her hand to her wrist. A sigh reached her ears and she felt her pillow move.

“You don’t want to do that.” Wade’s sleepy, gravelly voice reached her ears.

Annaleigh shot her head up, nearly colliding with Wade’s chin as he peered down at her with dark eyes, before proceeding to wipe the sleep from his eyes. She scrambled away from him, trying to put space between herself and the…half naked guy in her…not bed. She slipped over the side of the bed and hit the ground in a heap, pulling the blankets with her.

“Owww.” Pressure seemed to squeeze in around her brain. Annaleigh curled her body, putting her head between her knees, squeezing them together to relieve some of the pressure. “Aspirin.” She squeezed her eyes shut as her world seemed to tilt. She thought she’d fall to the floor, and keep falling just by the movement of lifting her hand to her head.

“That hangover would be worse if you didn’t drink all my water like it was going out of style,” Wade commented with a chuckle. Annaleigh could feel his hand on the blankets, before it slid off her head, dropping onto her shoulders. She shifted under the weight of the blankets and smacked her lips together, realizing that her mouth was dry. “I guess you need some more.”

Annaleigh looked up, peering over at Wade through squinted eyes as he rolled onto his side, reaching towards the night stand for a half empty bottle of water. Her lips twitched as she watched the ripple of his abdominal muscles as they moved underneath the bare skin of his stomach. “Here.” He rolled fully onto his stomach, pressing his mouth into the crook of his arm, handing her the bottle of water.

“Thanks.” Annaleigh took it and unscrewed the top before tilting her head back, gulping down the room temperature liquid. Water spilled down the side of her mouth as she greedily gulped each mouthful. She was stalling. How to even ask? Never in her life did she think she would get herself in situations she only saw in movies and on TV. Her stomach churned and tightened with that worry.

Wade blinked, peering over at her before setting his chin on top of his arm. “Nothing happened,” Wade said as if reading her mind, keeping his dark eyes trained on her. “You know, apart from you trying to grab my junk.”

Annaleigh spat out some water as she started to cough. “I…beg….your pardon,” she said in between hacking coughs into her fist. She put a hand over her chest. “I was not tryin’ to—“ She used air quotes with one hand, “ ‘grab your junk’ .”

“Whatever you say,” Wade replied with a hike of his eyebrow, his lips curling upwards into a boyish smile. He let out a sigh through his nose as he moved into a seated position. “Do you even remember what happened last night?”

“Uuhhhhhohmystars,” Annaleigh groaned, running a hand over her face as she thought. “The AMAs after party, lots of dancin’, and…a drink or two.” She remembered going to the bar a couple of times to calm down some of her nerves.

In Hollywood, if you were associated with a big name, or were a “plus one” to a big name, no one ever checked your ID. Who’d want to be the one to ruin a celebrity’s party? Besides, she knew how to hold her beer. Or beers as the case may be. Kind of. After plenty of trial and error.

But cocktails were a different story.

“If you call five Dirty Southern Belles—which are really alcoholic by the way—a drink or two,” Wade replied with a loud snort.  He swung his legs over the side of the bed and faced her. “You kept saying that you didn’t want Lance to see you drunk so your friend Jasmine and I got you into a cab to take you back to the hotel. You insisted that she stay because you didn’t want to ruin her fun. I sure as hell was not leaving you buy yourself and I didn’t think you’d make it to your room so I brought you here. I gave you a change of clothes, you changed yourself—“

Annaleigh looked down and realized that she was wearing an over sized grey Nike t-shirt with a dark blue swoosh, and running shorts. She adjusted the collar, frowning.

“—you threw up a couple of times and when I went to go sleep in the bathtub, you insisted on me staying with you,” Wade explained before putting his hands up defensively. “After a while you fell asleep and here we are. We just slept. I promise.” He lifted his index and middle finger in the air. “Scout’s honor.”

Annaleigh hiked an eyebrow, letting out a higher pitched, single laugh. “I doubt you were a boy scout, Blondie,” she commented.

“You’re right, Boots, I wasn’t,” Wade replied, deadpan. “I was spending too much of my time traveling and dancing.” He then got to his feet and, after adjusting the waistband to his jeans, pulling them up over his boxers, he made his way towards the bathroom. “I have some Advil for your headache. If you didn’t drink so much water, your hangover would be worse, trust me.”

“I’ll take your word for it,” she commented, but she already knew that nothing would be worse than her very first hangover. Not only did she feel like she was dying, but lying on a creek bed with the smells of the water and rotting vegetation didn’t help much either. In this moment, she’d prefer to be back in that spot than in a hotel room with Wade Robson. “I’ve gotta get back to my room. Where are my clothes?”

“In here.”

Annaleigh got to her feet, repeatedly adjusting the too many sizes too big clothes as she made her way to the bathroom. As she stepped onto the cool tile, a bottle of Advil was flying towards her head. She caught it in her hands, shooting Wade an annoyed look before curling her fingers around it before quickly realizing that the shower water was running, enveloping the room in a warm mist and causing a tidal wave of heat to rush up into her cheeks.

Annaleigh’s eyes slammed shut and she let out a loud gasp, turning away from the shower. “Oh my stars, I am so sorry,” she cried, her voice echoing around the tiles. The pills in the Advil bottle shook against the plastic container as her hands flew up to cover her face. She groaned when the bottle slammed into her cheek bone.

“I’m behind a shower curtain, Boots, it’s fine,” Wade called back with a chuckle followed by a loud splash of water. “Besides, I’m sure it’s not something you haven’t seen before.”

“I beg your pardon!” Annaleigh snapped. She grit her teeth as another flash of heat shot up her body. He wasn’t exactly wrong, but he didn’t need to know that.

“Your clothes are on the toilet.”

Annaleigh let out a huff of air, her shoulders slumping before stomping over to the toilet, grabbing her clothes off of the closed lid. She pulled the bathroom door shut behind her and unlocked the front door, slipping out into the hall. Brushing her hair out of her face, she barely took a step when she saw a familiar figure round the corner and she quickly darted back into Wade’s hotel room, practically slamming the door behind her.

“Wade.” She quickly slipped back into the bathroom and Wade poked his head around the shower curtain. “We have a problem.”

“Yeah, you’re letting the cold air in,” Wade replied, lifting his eyebrows.

Annaleigh lowered her eyelids into an annoyed look. “Johnny’s coming.”

Wade pressed his lips together for a moment before parting them, a popping sound hitting the air. “Hand me that towel.” Annaleigh bundled her clothes up under her arm before reaching for the fluffy white towel on the towel rack on the wall. She quickly removed it and threw it towards his outstretched hand.

Wade disappeared back behind the shower curtain and a moment later the water turned off and he pushed back the shower curtain, stepping over the side of the tub with water droplets sliding down his torso as a knocking sound was heard on the door.

“This shouldn’t take long to deal with,” he muttered as he neared the door, making sure the towel was secure.

“Bless your heart” Annaleigh made a clicking sound with her tongue before shaking her head back and forth. “I doubt you can use your looks and charm to talk your way out of somethin’ like this.”

“You got any better ideas?” Wade asked, his eyebrows hiking before he lifted his hand to run his fingers through his wet hair. Annaleigh didn’t answer. He took a couple steps towards the door before he stopped and turned back to face her, an amused look on his face. “So you have been checking me out.”

“Oh my stars,” Annaleigh muttered, throwing her hand into the air.

Wade chuckled, his bare feet slapped against the bathroom tiles before he reached the door, pumping the handle, pulling it open. “Hey, Johnny. S’up?”

Annaleigh stepped up behind the bathroom door, pressing her ear to the crack to listen in. “Just coming to remind you we have to be checked out by noon.” Johnny’s deep timbre reached Annaleigh’s ear. She turned her head to peer through the crack between the hinges and saw the African American man let out a sigh through his nose, cross his arms over his chest before glancing down at the carpeted floor. He cleared his throat before looking up at the choreographer. “We had a great performance last night, but now we have the tour to look forward to. We’ll be down in Florida before you know it.”

“I’ve already got ideas brewing,” Wade replied, a confident air suddenly surrounding him. “I’m just going to take a quick shower and then I’ll be packed and checking out.” Johnny gave a slight nod of his head before his eyes shifted in Annaleigh’s direction. Her eyes widened and she quickly flattened herself against the wall.

Oh my stars, did he see me? Did I hit the wall too hard? I didn’ gasp too loud or anythin’ did I? Annaleigh’s heart pounded in her chest. She clasped her hands over her heart hoping that it’d muffle the sound of it beating way too hard and way too loud.

“Ok, well, I’m going to make sure everybody else gets checked out on time,” Johnny said with a sigh through his nose. “And get my wallet ready for any damages.”

Wade let out a laugh. “Yeah, not a bad idea,” he agreed. The door closed with a click before a soft thud sounded and Annaleigh poked her head out around the door to see the choreographer with his forehead against the door. “That was close.”

“No kiddin’,” Annaleigh replied, deadpan. She clutched her clothes and shoes to her chest and brushed past him. “I have to get up to my room before Johnny gets there or else I’m in some real trouble. He’s going to give down the country if he actually saw me.” She reached behind her for the door handle and opened it, checking to see that the coast was clear before stepping out into the hall.

“So, this was fun,” Wade commented, leaning in the door way.

“Aww, hush.” Annaleigh stuck her nose in the air, heading towards the elevators. She made it a few steps before stopping when she heard a high pitched whistle behind her. Annaleigh pressed her lips together before turning around to march back to Wade’s door grabbing her bra as he swung it back and forth from his index finger. Face burning, she muttered a “thanks” and a “shut up” at his chuckle.



January  27th, 2000
NSYNC House

As soon as Bye, Bye, Bye was released, a new surge of fame hit *NSYNC harder than any wave that crashed over them before. They had truly made it in America. People knew who they were; knew their names, and knew that they were the real deal. Their video debuted number one on TRL for god’s sake! It was still so surreal for Lance to hear their new single being requested so often on the radio, and each time he heard the familiar chords start, his heart started beating in his chest.

After months, it was like everybody was finally getting the chance to see the real NSYNC.

Lance was surprised that anybody in the house managed to get a good night’s sleep from all of the excitement the night before. Or rather, a part of him was surprised; another part of him was downright exhausted from all of the work they had been taking part in non-stop for the past couple of days. As they worked and rehearsed and sat through meeting after meeting it was nice to have a couple days to rest, and relax. It was the best time to mentally prepare not only himself but Annaleigh on how things were going to go in regards to preparing for the tour. If she thought she was doing a lot of work before, the months before tour were an absolute nightmare.

But, she seemed to be prepared for it, if not excited. He could see she had her dad’s sense of adventure in that regard. He did up and leave his home to try and bring success to his band, after all. Here she was, wanting to do the same thing. Lance understood her dad’s reservations of letting her follow in his footsteps, and he had to wonder if he was doing the right thing as her best friend to let her continue on knowing what was breaking her family apart—or rather, what broke her family apart—and acting like it was the greatest thing in the world.

Not that it wasn’t. He loved his fans, he loved making music, he loved performing, and he loved being with his brothers day in and day out. He loved all of it. But it came at a price; he wouldn’t wish for anyone to have their privacy gradually taken away from them--or even ripped away from them. However, as some people say, “It comes with the territory.”

“Man, I’m freaking out, dude,” Justin said as he twisted the chair he was lounging in back and forth with the foot that was planted on the plush carpet. They were all sitting in the living room of the NSYNC house waiting for Johnny and Wade to arrive for another one of their meetings. Johnny had pretty much made it a point that no one could see the reviews and the general consensus of their new song being released. It was one of the many things being discussed at the meeting.

Johnny never called a meeting just to chit chat. When he wanted to talk, he wanted to talk. At times it was almost like being reprimanded by a parent; you wondered when it would ever end. He was the type of person that you’d call up to talk about the weather and he’d still be talking about it fifteen minutes later. That’s not to say when it came to anything important the boys never sat and listened through the whole conversation. When Johnny knew what he was talking about, he knew what he was talking about and they had no reason to doubt him.

“I have to know what people think.” Justin brought his hands to his chest and started popping his knuckles. “This is intense.”

“Not as much as my desire to shut you up permanently,” JC commented in a dull tone. He was lying on his side on the couch across from Lance, eyes closed. Whether or not he was trying to sleep, Lance knew that JC would never fully be able to manage that.

“Aww, C, you love me and you know it,” Justin said as he paused in cracking his knuckles to give JC a sweet smile, whether the older boys saw it or not.

“I’m with him, I’d love you more if you stopped talking,” Joey commented before he launched himself from the floor, jumping on top of the youngest member of the group. Justin curled himself into a bowl, throwing up his hands to ward off Joey’s fake punches.

“Would y’all knock it off?” Annaleigh asked, barely looking up from the notebook she had in her lap. Her hand went shooting back and forth across the paper as she quickly wrote. She had her back against the couch Lance was sitting on, one smooth leg crossed over the other. She reached up a hand to brush her wavier dark brown locks, now streaked with caramel highlights, out of her face.

For her the past couple of days, apart from rehearsal and singing lessons with JC, were all about her identity: the Southern girl, who also happened to be Lance’s best friend, who was the new bass player in the *NSYNC band. People wanted interviews with her, wanted to take pictures of her--and with her if they had recognized her—and even asked him questions about their friendship. Her outfits had slowly started to…change.

Not so much that he didn’t recognize his friend anymore, but, a noticeable “Hollywood” change as he liked to think of it. Hell, he and Justin had their hair—painfully—bleached blonde for a couple of years to fit in the mold of what image was marketable in Sweden. That’s not to say he didn’t think it was a nice change, and didn’t bring a sense of confidence to her that he had waited to see her grow into over the years—when she wasn’t second guessing herself about how what she was wearing looked on her, but she was getting better at it, especially with all of Jasmine’s compliments.

 It was great to have two of his best friends from home with him, especially when they fit in so well with Justin, JC, Chris, and Joey. It felt like having home and work meshing so well with him at one time. It helped him feel calm despite knowing all the stress related events that were going to be shooting at them rapid fire. It was still a bit strange, nevertheless, to have Annaleigh around with him and to be in the position where he has to teach the ins and outs of the business to her. But, who better than a member of one of the hottest music acts in America?

Despite everything Annaleigh’s had shoved into her schedule, it didn’t change her “Mother Hen” like behavior and he was glad it didn’t. Arguably, it was for partially selfish reasons as the boys had someone around who didn’t mind doing the groceries, preparing meals, or doing their laundry. It also brought a sense of calm and allowed the feeling of home to be with them no matter wherever they went as she really cared for their well being and lent a listening ear whenever they were having problems or were frustrated about something. She also didn’t hesitate to tell them when they were being stupid.

It was also just something she grew up knowing; back in Clinton you were taught how to run a family if you ultimately chose to be a stay at home mom; if not, you were still secure in knowing that your household would be run well. He didn’t think that notion would ever leave her. It was a part of who she was.

“Shoot, I think y’all have been stayin’ round each other for too long,” Annaleigh commented, shaking her head back and forth before reaching down to pinch the pointed end of her cowboy boots. A sigh slipped past her lips as she adjusted her foot position inside them.

“Hear, hear,” Jasmine said as she flipped the page of the magazine in her lap, using her free hand to twist the end of her hair poking out from her ponytail. She was seated on the floor at the table in the center of the room

“It’ll be worse when we’re on tour,” Chris commented, from the opposite end of the couch Lance was sitting on. He was throwing a football repeatedly into the air. They were all waiting for Johnny to come and join them to deliver the news of the day as well as to start the first of many, many tour meetings.

“And Annaleigh gets to share the experience with us,” Justin said, giving her an over the top smile, which she conveniently missed as she slumped lower against the couch, hiding her face behind her notebook.

“What fun,” she said, deadpan. She then looked over at Jasmine. “You find anything yet?”

“We’re not supposed to be looking for reviews,” JC mumbled. “Johnny said.”

You may not be allowed to, hon, but no one said I’m not allowed,” Jasmine replied, flipping another page. She then gasped loudly, slapping the spine of the magazine down on to the table with a loud thwack. “Here we go!”

She cleared her throat before she started to read. “The wait for *NSYNC’s new album is just about impossible to sit through now more than ever. At the AMAs the hot boy band released their newest song, Bye Bye Bye—not only a love song but a tongue in cheek jab at their former manager. Now the whole world can say, ‘Bye, Bye, Bye’ to Lou Pearlman, and say ‘Hi, Hi, Hi’ to the new *NSYNC.

“God, that is so lame,” Chris groaned, rolling his eyes.

“Sadly, that might be the best pun they can come up with,” Lance commented, lifting a hand to rub at his tired eyes, knocking the curst out of the corners. “Keep going, Jazz.”

After a drawn out legal battle where Lou Pearlman had been keeping the money that *NSYNC rightfully worked themselves to the bone for, the five members—Justin Timberlake, JC Chasez, Joey Fatone, Chris Kirkpatrick, and Lance Bass—won the fight to keep their group name as well as get the money they rightfully deserve. How much is unknown as the matter was settled quietly. Also with this legal win, they changed record labels and have now officially release their first album under the Jive Records label.

“Jive Records has female powerhouse, Britney Spears. Having previously appeared together on The New MMC, it was only a matter of time before the two music acts would be together…in the musical sense I assure you. With both of the biggest acts in the music industry on the rise, Jive did well to add *NSYNC to their label. From what—admittedly little—details the boys have given; they described this album to be their own take on mainstream music with their own dance, club, and R&B mix to it. And that was evident in this new song.

You’ll be listening to this song over and over again, blasting it as loud as your car speakers will allow. With their marionette-like dance steps and catchy bumps in their music, mirrored with the song’s fist pumps, their shows will be one you’ll want to see when they inevitably go on tour. Might as well go stand in line to pick up your tickets. What’s more they’ve added two new members to their live band: Gabriel Henderson and Lance’s childhood friend, Annaleigh Carr. They’ve seemed to fit in well and we can’t wait to see this new journey they all take—showing off their growing musical chops. Good luck, boys.

“That’s not bad,” Lance mused, rubbing his chin, slowly nodding his head as he let the words sink in.

He froze when he heard a series of knocks at the door. Lance tensed as electricity crackled through all of them. JC’s eyes popped open and he pushed himself up into a seated position. Eyes narrowed, eyebrows waggled, fingers twitched before the five boys swung their hands upwards, reaching their index fingers towards their nose as a shout of, “Nose goes” hit the air.

“What just happened?” Jasmine asked, eyes wide in shock, hands in the air as if she were expecting to separate two fighting boys.

“You’ll get used to it pretty quickly,” Annaleigh said with a roll of her eyes. “And the arguments that come from it.” She set her pen in her notebook and closed it, setting it aside before getting to her feet. “Trust me, it’s just easier to go an’ get the door yourself.”

“Chris you’re last,” JC announced, pointing his finger in Chris’s direction. Chris let out an exaggerated groan as he got to his feet.

“Did you hear that?” he asked, putting a hand to his back. “My knees popping, my joints protesting; I don’t think I can make it to the door, but I’ll try.” Lance hiked an eyebrow, watching as Chris slowly shuffled towards the door, sliding his feet along the ground, refusing to bend his knees. He hacked, coughed, and wheezed as he did so.

“Hurry it up, Gramps,” Lance shouted, reaching for one of the couch pillows, throwing it at Chris’s back. Chris let out a loud gasp, clutching at his heart before dropping down to the ground, face first. Lance jumped up, and pressed his knee into Chris’s back. “We need an oxygen mask, stat! Someone call 9-1-1!” All the times Lance had spent at the hospital with his dad, he always thought of himself as the type of person who would be calm in an emergency situation, whether it be as a joke or in real life.

“Yeah, you better call 9-1-1, because you’ll need one when I’m through with you,” Chris cried, kicking his legs and flailing his arms, trying to reach Lance to do bodily harm.

The knocking came again, longer, harder.

“I’m comin’, I’m comin’,” Annaleigh called as she made her way towards the door.

Lance looked up in time to see the front door open and Johnny and Wade stepped inside. “Morning.” Johnny gave them a weird look before he shook his head, chuckling.

“Do I even want to know?” he asked. He didn’t give anyone the chance to answer before he clapped his hands together, the loud popping sound startling everybody. “We’ve got a lot to cover today. How’re you all feeling? Lance, get off Chris.” He rolled his eyes when a series of snorts and muffled giggles hit the air. “You know what I mean.”

“Tired,” Annaleigh answered Johnny’s question, as the manager and choreographer made their way into the living room, dropping onto the open spaces available for them to sit at

“You’ll get used to it,” Wade commented.

“Easy for you to say, you jus’ teach them the dance moves and hope and pray that things go well while on stage,” Annaleigh said, swinging her hand back to hit his knee with the back of her hand. Wade merely shrugged, giving her a smile as he nudged her shoulder with the side of his leg..

As Lance settled back to sit on his heels, he looked back and forth between the two of them with Joey’s words, “Wade’s the one you need to worry about” ringing in his ears. From what he could see, they didn’t spend a lot of time together and anytime they had interacted, it was strictly professional. And when it wasn’t, when he seemed to get nowhere with her except for annoying her, he wasn’t worried about it. It was like Joey said, she could take care of herself. But, that was a hard role to give up or to slowly release; she had been following him around for years, doing what he wanted to do, and he took it upon himself to look out for her; even more so now that she was being thrust into the spotlight.

Especially when he was asked by her dad to do so. Nevertheless, Lance made a mental note to keep an eye on things.

“Congratulations on the Bye Bye Bye video being number 1 on TRL,” Johnny said as he clapped his hands together, leading the group into applause. He then shifted his gaze over towards Annaleigh. “And congrats to you and Gabe on your first performance with the band. You both did a great job.”

“I thank ya kindly,” Annaleigh said with a warm smile.

“I asked for Gabe to join us this morning, so he’d get a sense of how these meetings discussing the tour and things looking forward turn out, but he had a previous engagement today,” Johnny explained as he set the bag that Lance had just noticed he was carrying, on to the floor.

Chris took that time to roll onto his back and swing out his arm, back handing Lance’s side. “Ouch!” Lance shouted before he curled his fingers into a fist, punching Chris back.

“Hey, don’t fist me!” Chris said and Lance froze.

His whole body locked up and he stared down at his band mate. It was one stupid comment, much like they always did, all five of them, but this one just hit him differently. His mouth went dry, and he seemed to have lifted himself out of his body for a brief moment. He could see the laughter on Chris’s face at his own comment, see the looks of amusement and annoyance on JC, Justin, and Joey’s face, and he could see the uncertainty and fear in his own before he was back.

“That ain’t funny,” Lance said lowering his arm. Glowering, he shoved Chris’s shoulder, rolling away from him.

“Uh oh, you said ‘ain’t’,” Chris pointed out with a grin. He sat up and started prodding Lance’s cheek with his index finger. “Are you getting mad? I’ve heard Southerners have a wicked temper let’s see it.”

“Aww, leave ‘im be, Christopher,” Annaleigh called over to him. Chris put his hands up defensively, grinning from ear to ear. 

“Well, we should start going over the song list for the tour,” Johnny spoke up, loudly clearing his throat. He reached into his bag and removed the pen and notepad. He ripped off the top sheet of paper, resting it on his leg before clicking the top of the pen. “Finished songs from your new album; No Strings Attached and Bye Bye Bye for sure, but what are your thoughts? Do you want to start with Bye Bye Bye?”

“I don’t think we should do Bye Bye Bye, because people don’t like it anymore,” Justin said quietly, his twitching lips giving away his joke, causing everyone else in the room to start laughing. He lifted his head and twirled the stud earring in his left ear a couple of times before adjusting the beanie that covered his curly hair.

“I think we should do Music of My Heart,” Joey said as his laughter died down, tugging on the brim of his ever present Superman hat. “You know, because we have someone who can sing Gloria’s part.” Lance followed Joey’s gaze over towards Annaleigh who was suddenly engrossed with her chipping fingernail polish.

“I really hope y’all are talkin’ about Chris’s falsetto and not me,” she said after she made a clicking sound with her tongue.

“Haven’t you been getting voice lessons from JC?” Johnny asked her.

“Yes,” JC instantly replied, chewing on his thumbnail, “whenever we have time. She’s really been improving.”

“There’s an idea,” Wade commented, snapping his fingers. “Everybody at this point knows she’s Lance’s friend—“

“Heyyy,” Justin said in a whining tone. “She’s our friend, too.” He stuck out his bottom lip in a pout.

“No way,” Annaleigh replied in a firm stone, waving her hand in the air. “It ain’t gonna happen.”

“You sing at church all the time, what’s the difference?” Jasmine asked, speaking up,  giving her friend a confused look. Annaleigh widened her eyes in Jasmines direction. “What?!”

“Oh, about twenty thousand people,” Annaleigh replied. “Singin’ in front a people I know isn’t a problem.” She shivered. “In front of a whole lotta people I don’ know give me the shivers somethin’ bad. No way.”

“You’re already playing the bass for us, how could it be any different?” Chris asked, his eyebrows knitting together.

“If she doesn’t want to do it, she doesn’t want to do it,” JC said with a sigh, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Don’t force it on her.” He blinked his eyes a couple of times. “It Makes Me Ill.”

“Space Cowboy,” Lance added as an excited jolt shot through his body. The next day they were going into the studio with TLC’s own Lisa “Left Eye” Lopez for her to add some of her rapping skills to their song.  “It’s not completed yet, but still.” He snapped his fingers. “And It’s Gonna Be Me since it’ll be our second single.”

“Keep in mind that you all need to take some time to rest during this tour,” Wade commented, lifting his hands up in the air. “You don’t want to be dancing and moving around the stage the whole time.” He rubbed his hands together, an evil smile coming to his face. “Just wait until I show you what else I have in mind.”

“What about ballads?” Justin asked.

“You just don’t want to tire your young self out having to make up all of those fancy shmancy dance moves,” Chris said, waving his hand in the air.

“If you want to go running back and forth across the stage, be my guest,” Wade replied with a shrug of his shoulders. “But, my name’s going on your choreography. You think I want a bunch of screaming girls chasing after me—?”

“Yes,” Joey interrupted him, earning a high five from Justin.

“Angry that you guys collapsed on stage?” Wade finished his sentence, giving Joey a look of amusement.

“Any other songs?” Johnny asked, pointedly tapping his pen against the notepad.

“I Thought She Knew,” JC replied, resting his elbows on his knees, rubbing his hands together. “God Must Have Spent, and This I Promise You.”

 On and on they went back and forth over songs they wanted to perform, and start on the song order as well. They only managed to agree on starting with No Strings Attached and ending with Bye Bye Bye—maybe as an encore if they had a lot of songs to get through.

“Ok, we’ve also received word on the locations of the first leg of the tour,” Johnny said as he removed his cell phone from his pocket. “The whole tour will kick off on May 9th which gives you less than two months to have all the choreography and music done, as you’re spending the next two months promoting Bye, Bye, Bye and your album, and we need to get a head start on the stage design and work through wardrobe and everything.” A serious look crossed his face. “It’ll be a real time crunch, boys—“ Annaleigh loudly cleared her throat. Johnny blinked, taken aback just slightly, before a smile came to his face, “and for you as well, Little Missy.”

Joey twisted the cap around on his head so the brim was pacing backwards. “Can’t we just…relax? I’m already tired just thinking about it,” he whined before folding his hands on his stomach.

“We’re already scheduling trips to Canada, the UK, and seeing when we can get visits on Rosie O’Donnell, The View, Good Morning America and other shows like that,” Johnny said as he tapped his pen against the side of his head. A collective groan went around the group.

 

Lance stretched his arms over his head, suddenly feeling very tired. It was something he was used to doing, but at the same time, just thinking about how much was crammed into one day would make even the most energetic person the world, dreading what was to come at times. There were many moments where they all wondered how there were enough hours in a day to get things done. Running off of four hours of sleep, sometimes even less was a feat in itself.

“Where’re we starting the tour, Johnny?” JC asked.

Johnny’s lips twitched into a brief smile “Biloxi, Mississippi,” he replied. Lance instantly bloomed into a smile and Annaleigh practically sung the words, “I’m going ho-o-me” as Jasmine clapped her hands in excitement. Biloxi was only about an hour north of Clinton which meant, that gave them a couple of days at home before the tour kicked off. He could already feel the soft mattress in his bed.

He was going to need it.

“On another note, and this is not how I wanted to bring this up,” Johnny said as a serious look crossed his face. He shifted his gaze over to Annaleigh and he pressed his lips together. “It seems that many have gotten the impression that you’re in the band either because of your dad or because of your past with Lance.”

Lance could feel himself deflate just as much as he could see Annaleigh physically do the same. It was what he was worried about the most. It was something they had all discussed when her name had come up for suggestions on who they’d audition for the band. The music business was a fickle bunch and the fans could easily jump on any girl that they could be seen with. On the one hand, he wasn’t too surprised her foray into the band was being questioned but on the other, it sucked that it had to happen to her.

“It’s why I didn’t want any of you to look at anything in the press,” Johnny explained as he reached into his bag to retrieve a stack of printed out and copied articles. “I didn’t want you to see anything before we could come up with a response.”

“Well, I declare, Miss Carr, seems to me like you’re gettin’ popular,” Justin said in his best falsetto in the best Southern accent he could muster as he leaned forward to start flipping through the papers. He stopped and looked up, widening his eyes when he noticed everybody was staring at him. He seemed to curl up in on himself as he stuck out his bottom lip, sitting back in his seat. “It was just a joke.” He talked quietly as if he was being reprimanded for trying to eat a cookie before dinner.

He then lifted his hand and adjusted the hat on his head before he started sifting through the pages. “Seriously though, Annaleigh, don’t pay any attention to it,” he said, a serious look coming to his face. “People will write what they want to write just to get some extra money. They talked for a while about JC and I saying that one of us got in just because we knew the other.”

“Which is true,” JC said, putting a hand in the air and Justin gave a nod. “Don’t get us wrong. I mean, with the five of us, we all knew each other in a way, except for Lance. I called my vocal coach to ask him if he knew any bass players.”

“And Lance was called by Bob Westbrook, yeah,” Annaleigh said with a nod of her head. “I remember when Lance got that call.” Her eyebrows lifted. “Miss Diane was crazy for saying ‘no’ at first.”

“So, in a way, it’s true, you can get ahead by people you know,” JC continued. His eyes were squinted, and he slowly rubbed his hands together. “It happens in all walks of life, but it’s criticized more in this business because it’s…in a way, a quick jump forward.”

“People don’t think you’ve put in the hard work to be where you are,” Johnny added and JC snapped his fingers, pointing in his manager’s direction. “Especially with this band.”

“Think of it this way, at least it’s one of the nicer things anyone could say,” Chris added, a hopeful lift to his tone. He lifted his shoulders to his ears in a shrug.

“It stems from jealousy,” Joey added. “They’re jealous that you’re in this position and they’re not. But what’s important is that your talent and your passion to learn is what made us all decide to hire you.” Her gave her a charming smile. “It’s just a bonus you’re a good cook.” A small ripple of laughter went around the room. Annaleigh’s lips pulled back in the corner in a half smile.

“Don’t worry about it, Ace, really,” Lance said, running a hand over face. “You know you deserve to be here and we know you deserve to be here.” He slid off the couch and sat down next to his friend, looping his arm around Annaleigh, pulling her to his chest in a hug. “What’s more, we want you here.”

“Thanks, Poofu,” Annaleigh said, squeezing him back around the stomach.

 “Alright, well you all have rehearsals to get to,” Johnny said with a sigh, clapping his hands together before pointing both of his index fingers at Annaleigh, “and I’d like to discuss with you how we’re going to respond to this.”

“Do I have to?” Annaleigh asked and Lance felt her squeeze him tighter.

“I’m not going to lie,” Johnny said, twisting his mouth to the side, “this may be the first of…however many public statements you might have to make while you’re part of the band.” He lifted a hand and scratched at the side of his jaw. “Honestly, it’s better that it’s under these circumstances than something else. Something worse.”

Lance swallowed thickly, running his fingers through his hair.

 

 

End Notes:

 

 

Birthday Blues by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:

Finally an update!

Lance gets to the bottom of what's causing his insecurities. Not wanting to see anyone sad on his birthday, Justin has a talk with Annaleigh.

~13~

January 31, 2000
NSYNC House

Annaleigh tapped a wooden spoon against her chin, frowning as she hovered over a cookbook. She lifted a hand and picked the little bits of Rice Krispies stuck to her chin from the melted marshmallows, sticking it on her tongue. “Hmmm…” she whispered to herself. “Do I want the Rice Krispies its own layer…or wrap it around cake?”

It was Justin’s 19th birthday and she was up early in the kitchen baking him a cake she had never tried before: a cereal cake. Both he and Joey, who turned 23 a few days before, had both celebrated their birthdays together with friends in town a few days ago, but Annaleigh insisted on making separate cakes for them.

She had made Joey a cake in the shape of Superman’s logo, but with a J in the middle.  She quickly learned of Justin’s love for cereal and decided to incorporate it into her cake for him. Lance, JC, and Chris were going to be a bit harder to think of how to personalize cakes for. Especially when most of their birthdays fell at a time where they would be A: buy doing last minute prep for tour, and B: when they were actively touring.

“You could just do both,” Lance said as he shuffled into the kitchen, stretching his arms over his head. His hair stuck up in different directions, without the help of the hair gel he usually put into his hair for his “image”.

That was something Annaleigh still didn’t really understand. So many people in the business, the boys included, talked about her always being herself but as she spent time in the band, they wanted to change how she dressed, how her hair was done, and what she looked like. All she had planned to do was keep her head down and get through work a day at a time. She never thought she’d be doing interviews nor have people know who she was.

She hadn’t even been working for the boys for a full month and she had already had to have “a talk” with Johnny. She had been warned about Johnny’s talks. It wasn’t really a conversation, but more of a situation where he talked and you sat there and listened to whatever it was he had to say. She felt like she was being reprimanded by a teacher, and was getting a big slap of reality of the industry all at the same time.

There was more into writing one than she had imagined and had to give props to publicists everywhere that handled that part of the jobs themselves. Everything had to sound precise and cover everything that the statement was in response to. Staying neutral and level headed when it was a touchy subject was hard. Annaleigh knew she had to have tough skin for the music business, but this was really the first time her accomplishments were being questioned even before she really had the chance to present herself.

She liked to think of herself as a confident person, in fact she knew she could be that way if pageants had taught her anything. But having to listen to not only the church gossip mill running, but to have those whispers overflowing through the town of Clinton after parents’ divorce really made her stop and worry about what it was that people thought of her.

 And she hadn’t even broken the rules! All Johnny really needed for was to help Johnny write up a statement to release to the press about how she didn’t feel as if she got the job just because of her dad or because of her past with Lance, which was a lot harder than it sounded. It needed to address the concerns but she still felt like she had done something wrong just by how Johnny talked to her. She knew she couldn’t take it personally because Johnny was a business-minded person and always got straight to the point with whatever it was he wanted to discuss with you.

“Justin won’t care.” Lance pulled himself onto a stool, resting his elbows on the counter, rubbing at his eyes with the pads of his fingers. “The fact that you’re using cereal with his cake; he’s never going to leave you alone after that, you know that, right?”

Annaleigh let out a short laugh. She wasn’t too surprised. Apart from her, Justin was the youngest person in the house and acted like it as often as he could. Whether it was to keep himself grounded or if he really was just that energetic and youthful she couldn’t decide between the two.

He was always asking her to play a game of basketball with him and even to watch the game on TV, or to play video games with him. He was all in with the band, but he was one of the only two—the second being Joey—that didn’t have side projects they were working on at the same time. JC was writing and producing for other bands and music groups, Lance was working on his own record label, and Chris had his own clothing line he was in the progress of creating. Apart from working with the band, she didn’t have much to do (ha!) so they had often hung out over the month she’d been hired.

That’s not to say they had too much time to do nothing. Since the AMAs, every day was packed with rehearsals, appearances, studio work and more.  Lance and Joey called in to Los Angeles’s radio station 102.7 KIIS FM to talk give a couple tidbits about what would take place when their album was released, the boys took a quick trip to New York for an appearance on Total Request Live (known as TRL to the fans) to promote the premiere of the new video for “Bye Bye Bye”,  they finished the last couple days in the studio recording their album, they celebrated Joey’ birthday, and performed “Bye Bye Bye” at MTV’s Super Bowl pre-show.

All in all, it was a busy month, and Annaleigh had many more to look forward to. She wasn’t surprised the boys were sleeping as much as they possibly could. Luckily for her it meant a few extra hours of peace and quiet and fingerprint-free cake batter.

“Since you’re the first fella up, you can lick the bowls when I’m done,” Annaleigh said as she started to work globs of Rice Krispie out of the bowl, setting it into a cake plate near her. “And have the left over marshmallows.”

“Great.” Lance let out a loud yawn. “So when are we going to talk about what happened between you and Wade?”

Annaleigh stopped what she was doing for a brief second before she continued to mold the marshmallow treat into the cake pan. She tried to keep a neutral expression on her face, but she couldn’t help but feel as if she had gotten caught with her hand in the cookie jar. Her lips pulled down just slightly.

“Jazzy told you?” she asked, looking up at her oldest friend. Lance nodded. Annaleigh let out a sigh, straightening to give him her full attention. “Figured. Thought you woulda brought it up way before now, though.” She shook her head back and forth. “Shoot, I knew that girl couldn’ keep her mouth shut for long.”

“Don’t blame her,” Lance said, clicking his tongue.

“I’m not,” Annaleigh insisted. “I’m just sayin’.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Lance asked.

“Because I didn’ want you to think I was like that,” Annaleigh replied, feeling her shoulders slump. “I came out here for a job, not to party.”

“You didn’t want me to think that my best friend—the same one I’ve seen drunk out not only on a creek bed but on a golf course—was a party girl?” Lance asked, his eyebrows lifting. “There’s nothing wrong with having a good time and a drink here or there. Besides, it takes a few times to learn your limit and I’d rather you do it around me than anyplace else.” He pointed a warning finger at her. “Not that I’m condoning underage drinking.”

Annaleigh let out a small laugh. “Course not. But, that’s not what I meant, James,” Annaleigh replied. Lance’s eyebrows knit together into a look of confusion. “I didn’t want ya to think that I would sleep with someone or something like that to get ahead or anything like that.”

Lance let out an odd laugh, shaking his head back and forth. He blinked rapidly, putting a hand to his forehead before putting his hands up in the air. “I would never think that way about you and you know it,” Lance replied. A hardened look crossed his face. “I know who you are and you’re nothin’ like that. You’re way too gosh darn modest for that and not in a bad way. Believe me. You’re not like other girls out here and everybody loves that ‘bout you. You’re different and a breath of fresh air.”

“Yeah,” Annaleigh gave a nod of her head, going back to what she was doing. The only sound in the room for a long moment was the sound of her bracelet clanging against the side of the cake pan as she patted the krispies into the pan.

He was silent for a moment and Annaleigh looked up in time to watch his facial expression slowly change from a stony expression to soften to a solemn one. His stony gaze slowly shifted into a look of confusion, and then compassion. “I really missed a lot at home while I was away,” he said as more of a statement then a question. “You’re not the same Annaleigh. I mean you are but…and I know  could be wrong, but, I don’t think your mom leaving hurt you. I think it broke your spirit.”

 “What do you mean?” Annaleigh asked quietly.

“You’re so structured and it’s work, work, work,” Lance said, a clapping sound hitting the air as he hit the back of his right hand into the palm of his left. “And, yes, that is the same way we do things here, but we also have fun while we do it. We don’t take ourselves seriously.” He paused, his lips twitching and Annaleigh lifted an eyebrow. “At least not all of the time. For us, what we love the most about this, is that we get to hang out together and do what we love all the time.”

Annaleigh let out a breath of air through her nose as she turned to give Lane her full attention. Lance had always been the kind of person to her that when he wanted to say something, she made sure she listened.

“I know you love what you do, but you don’t show it that often. Yes, this is a job for you, and you’ve had to grow up and help your dad financially, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun while you do it. Every time you perform, or during rehearsal, you’re always so stiff and tense and worried about messing up. I know you’re more graceful ‘n that. And confident. What happened to your confidence?” Annaleigh shrugged her shoulders.

She had lost her confidence and her self-esteem was lower than she had ever known it to be.  She knew she didn’t look or act like anyone in the business. She lost what little bit of confidence she had left when everyone wanted to change the way she dressed or what her hair looked like; like they didn’t think she was fine the way she was.

Not that she had thought too much of herself in a long while. She was happy she was able to keep her boots, it was a way for her to hold on to her life at home. She was proud of being Southern and from Mississippi. The values of kindness, hospitality, and family were very important to her, so she tried to bring those values with her wherever she went. Despite her family not being as perfect as she wanted, she knew that the NSYNC crew were her family as she worked.

“That’s not an answer,” Lance said to her and she shrugged again. She didn’t want to talk about it, but she knew Lance wasn’t going to drop the subject. “Ace, after rehearsals, even after the AMAs, the first question out of your mouth was ‘Was that ok?’” Lance continued. “That’s not you.”

“I’m just not as good as other people out here who’ve been doin’ this with a career in mind all their lives,” Annaleigh said with a frown. She brushed her hair behind her ears, cupping her hands with her face before crossing her arms over her chest. “I just wanted to do something like this because you did.”

“Yeah at first,” Lance agreed with a nod of his head. “But, I know that’s changed. I know this is something you want to do for you. And don’t forget, I was self-conscious about my dancing and my singing. My voice got so deep way before any other guy in my class. And you know I’m still not the best dance. But, I know it, and I still do it because I love it. Because I know I’m talented in my own way—“

“Yeah, I don’t know a lot of bass singers that can hit your range,” Annaleigh admitted.

“Exactly,” Lance said with a grin. “And my personality gets me far and I don’t give up.” He put a hand to his chest. “I use my personality to stand out and Anna, you’ve got personality for days! ”

Annaleigh held back a snort. “I’m as southern as a butternut, but I’m pain as toast,” Annaleigh protested. Lance shook his head back and forth, letting out a laugh.

“See, that’s what I mean?” Lance asked. He was silent for another moment, clasping hands together, lacing his fingers together. “I think, that you don’t think you can do this because you’ve had your mom and dad told you all the time that they didn’t want you to do this. And I think, that your mom leaving the way she did, you thought she was giving up on you. So you, essentially, gave up on yourself.”

Annaleigh nodded her head, feeling tears fill her eyes. She pressed her lips together to try and stop them from shaking. “You’re right,” she said quietly. Lance was by her side in an instant, pulling her to his chest in a tight hug as she started to cry.

“Anna, don’t cry,” Lance said, his deep voice, rumbling in his chest. “It’s a lot of pressure. I get it. It’s hard to listen to people pick apart you and what you do and talk about you. And you’ve had to deal with that more than any of us. But, it doesn’t matter.”

Annaleigh looked up at him, batting his hands away as he tried to wipe away her tears. “But, they’re all saying—“

“It doesn’t matter what they say,” Lance said, interrupting her. He used the side of his hand to gently wipe the tears from her cheeks. Annaleigh let out a loud sniff, trying to swallow the lump in her throat. “Our real, true, fans and our true friends supports us and build us up. It does hurt to have someone talk badly about you, but it’s their own opinion. You don’t know who they are, so why dwell on it?”

“But, everyone at home—“

“Now, I know that you know there’s a difference between ‘church ladies’ and ‘on the way to church ladies’,” Lance said with a half smile. Annaleigh let out a shaky breath of air, wiping her hands over her face. “You know everybody in Clinton likes to gossip about everybody. It’ll all turn around when they see how well you’re doing.”

“There’s always somethin’ or someone to talk about in Clinton,” Annaleigh agreed and Lance gave a nod of his head. That was one thing she hated about her city, and she tried hard not to hate anything. That’s not to say that she hadn’t taken part in the gossip telephone game with Jasmine from time to time. Or rather, Jasmine liked staying in the loop, especially with how boring they could find Clinton at times. “I just hate that it’s me.”

“Well, they should’ve known you were going to do something great with your life,” Lance said, giving her his best smile. “What with all those pageants you’ve won and not only as overall winner but for your personality, too. Well, except for one.”

“Hey!” Annaleigh said, shoving Lance’s shoulder before she pointed her finger at her friend. “I would’ve won that title if Miss Flower Power and her momma didn’ act like pageant snobs.” She started shaking her head back and forth. “Shoot, actin’ like they all knew everything about pageants. Well, I beat her butt bad the next time—not just in personality but as the overall winner—so that’s sayin’ somethin’.”

“Ah, you’ve got a little flicker of your spark back,” Lance said, pulling Annaleigh to him in another hug. Annaleigh squeezed him back, burying her head into his chest. “You know I think you can do this. I know you think you can do this. So let’s show everyone, and your parents, that you can do it, too when we start the tour in Mississippi.”

“Kay.” Annaleigh nodded her head as she took a step back from her friend. She took her friend’s hands and gently squeezed them. “Thanks, Poofu. I needed to hear that.”

Lance’s chest swelled as he took in a deep breath of air. “You know, I think I needed to hear it, too,” he replied. Annaleigh watched as a distant look came into Lance’s eyes. “For myself.” She gave him a confused look, tilting her head to the side.

“Why?” she asked. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” Lance replied, his nose wrinkling as he shook his head. Annaleigh lifted an eyebrow in a silent question. “It’s nothing, I promise.” He gave a shrug of his shoulders. “You know me and my dancing. I always get a bit worried about it before tour rehearsals really start. It’s fine.”

“If you’re sure,” Annaleigh replied, moving back to finishing the cake.

“If you’re sure,” Lance stated. “Are you sure you’re ok?”

“I will be,” Annaleigh said, letting out a breath of air. “All y’all help. I like bein’ around you guys.”

“Trust me, we like having you here as well,” Lance reassured her. “You’re a great asset to the band. Seriously. Both you and Gabe are doing well.” He stretched his arms over his head, yawning. He reached out his hand and dragged his finger in the bowl of frosting, quickly pulling it back after getting hit on the back of the hand by the rubber spatula Annaleigh grabbed. “What? Sugar will help me wake up. And I’ll need it to keep up with Justin after he finally wakes up.”

“Today will be fun,” Annaleigh said, waving her hand in the air. “And he’s gonna love this cake. I hope.”

“I’m sure it’ll be great,” Lance said as he licked his finger clean of frosting. “You’re a great cook and Chris will eat anything, anyway.” Annaleigh chuckle. “Ok, now give me a smile so I know you’re actually feeling better.” Annaleigh rolled her eyes before parting her lips in a bright smile. “Not your pageant smile, it freaks me out.”

“You’ve seen it so many times,” Annaleigh said with a laugh.

“You smile like this.” Lance gave a toothy grin, pulling his lips apart to reveal both rows of teeth. “It’s , like, robotic.” Annaleigh stuck her tongue out at him and Lance quickly took that time to scoop out some more frosting, slapping it onto her cheek.

“Hey!” Annaleigh gasped, feeling herself smile as she reached up to wipe it from her face. Lance quickly put his hands up, deflecting her counter attack. “You’re mean.”

“But, I got you to smile,” Lance said, wiggling his eyebrows. Annaleigh chuckled. “Hey, I know things have changed between us since I’ve been gone, whether I wanted to realize it or not, but I’m glad you’re here.”

Annaleigh used her shoulder to brush her hair out of her face, giving him another, normal, smile. “Me too.”



Annaleigh’s bedroom door slowly opened and Justin stuck his head in through the crack, lifting a hand to rap his knuckles on the door. “Knock, knock,” he said, opening the door wider, leaning in, grasping the door frame and the door handle to hold his weight.

“I knew it was a matter of time before you came in, Buttercup,” Annaleigh looked up from her book, pushing her glasses up her nose to look at Justin. She set her book aside aside before sliding off her bed, crossing the room to him, wrapping her arms around him in a hug. “Happy Birthday.”

“Thank you,” Justin said as he hugged her back. “I didn’t know you wear glasses.”

“Just for when I read,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug of her shoulders. “Why do you think I get called Bookworm?” Justin lifted his eyebrows, his lips curling up into a smile and Annaleigh quickly talked over him. “I prefer staying in and reading then going out sometimes.”

“I hope you don’t mean tonight,” Justin said, tilting his chin upwards just slightly.

“Of course not,” Annaleigh replied, planting her hands on her hips. “Shoot, there’s no way I’d miss your birthday party.”

“So, what are you reading?” Justin asked crossing the room to flop down on her bed.

“History book,” Annaleigh replied, moving to join him, settling back against her pillows. She had been meeting regularly with her tutor, or as regularly as she could with her busy schedule. Her education was important to her, and she had promised her dad that she’d put a portion of her earnings towards her future college tuition. “I have a quiz about the impact of world war 2, coming up.” She then reached out a hand and gently hit his side. “You don’t have to worry about that, Mister Nineteen.” Justin’s upper lip curled just slightly.

“I haven’t graduated yet,” he explained as his smile returned. “I have a couple of sessions left I haven’t done yet.” He gave a shrug of his shoulders. “But, that’s not important. What is important, is that I have a surprise for you.”

“A surprise?” Annaleigh repeated, her eyebrows colliding as she gave him a confused look. “You’re supposed to get surprises.” She reached out a hand and placed it on his knee, gently shaking it. “It’s your birthday.”

“And I can cry if I want to,” Justin said, earning a laugh from the younger girl, “but you can’t. Lance told us you were upset earlier today.” Annaleigh made a face. “But, that’s why I have a surprise for you.” He reached behind his back, his shirt moved just slightly, before removing a CD case, tossing it onto the bed. “I said I’d let you listen to your dad’s album. I finally have time to do so.”

“You didn’t have to do that, Buttercup,” Annaleigh said, despite practically snatching the CD off of the bedspread. She smiled down at the image of her father—he was younger, with a more sure of himself attitude hidden in the half smile on his face.

He sat front and center on the album cover, sitting on one of the white boxes that blended in with the white backdrop, hunched over, and holding a guitar up in his lap. One had gripped the neck of the guitar, while the other arm laid on top of the guitar, forming to the curve. His chin rested on the back of his hand, eyes locked with the camera. His band mates, three men and a woman, sat on the rest of the white boxes at differing heights. One man was leaning on a snare drum, another had a violin in his hands, one with a guitar, and the woman balanced a keyboard on her lap. The word, “Reflect”, sat at the bottom in slanted black writing, a gray reflection of the letters underneath.

Justin silently watched as she flipped the album around to the back and read through the track listing. “Silent Footsteps, Breathe Life into Me, and One Day Too Late,” she said as she came to the end. Her fingers were tingling. It was like a time capsule, stepping back into a part of her dad’s life she didn’t know about. “I have to listen to this now.” Removing the CD from the case, she slid off her bed and hurried over to the stereo on the shelf.

“Start with the last song,” Justin prompted.

“Why?” Annaleigh asked, turning to face him as she fed the CD into the stereo. She tucked her hair behind her ear before doing as he asked, queuing the song.

“Because it’s about you,” Justin simply replied. “Or rather, it’s for you.” Annaleigh whirled around to face him, spinning the volume dial up in the process. A look of alarm crossed her face before she flinched as her dad’s loud voice boomed through the room. Justin slapped his hands over his heads, the album booklet hitting the side of his face.

“Oh my stars,” Annaleigh said, putting a hand to her chest as she turned down the volume. “I’m sorry. How’d you know that?”

Tick tock hear the clock countdown
Wish the minute hand could be rewound
So much to do and so much I need to say
Will tomorrow be too late

“Here, look,” Justin said, holding the album booklet out towards her. Annaleigh grasped it and dropped back down onto her bed, tucking her legs underneath her. He pointed at a block of text near the bottom of the right page.

The page was filled with the usual list of song writers, musicians, producers, instruments used, and more. But, at the very end of the text was an extra added line. “To my daughter, my miracle, my light, my compass leading me in the right direction. Home,” Annaleigh read aloud, “this song is for you, about you, and encompasses you. You have changed my life, and changed me, in ways I never would’ve imagined and still in ways I’ll never truly know.”

Annaleigh felt her shoulders drop as she lowered the booklet in her lap. Her vision swam as tears collected in her eyes. “I just don’t get why he wouldn’t ever show me this,” she said as she used her arm to wipe at her eyes.

“I didn’t mean to make your cry,” Justin said with a frown, sitting up. “I thought it’d make you happy.”

“I am happy,” Annaleigh insisted, giving her his best smile, despite her lips shaking. Justin snorted, an amused look on his face. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Justin said as he opened his arms to give her a hug. “I don’t want you to be sad.” He then settled back against the wall. “And I know you and your dad don’t have a great relationship when it comes to your music, but I wanted to show you that you got your talents from him. You’re a great musician. We didn’t pick you to be in the band because of him, you got in on your own. And you should be proud of that. He may not outright say it, but he is of you. We all are.”

Annaleigh sucked in a deep breath of air, collected all of her negative thoughts into the back of her throat, before expelling them in a long breath of air. Whether or not she actually had faith in herself, it wasn’t just about her. She was part of the NSYNC band. It, in essence, was about them, and he’d do anything to support Lance and his friends, and she couldn’t do much if she was always a cloud of negativity and worry.

Besides, they had a reason to celebrate and have fun that day. And even more than that night after night when they were on tour.

"Wanna play a game of basketball?" Justin asked, gently hitting her knee with the back of his hand.

"How'd I know ya was goin' to ask that?" Annaleigh asked with a smile.

Justin grinned, shrugging his shoulders. "I need to do something while I wait for your cake to cool off."

 

End Notes:

This chapter changed from what I originally wanted it to be. I think I have a way for it to be used later on in the story, or maybe even the next chapter. This was a bit of a filler, but, that happens from time to time. Finally an update, though. Yay!

Lyrics at the end was "One Day Too Late" by Skillet. I do not own.

Not a Bad Thing by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:

Annaleigh grows closer to JC, realizing they have something in common and meets his girlfriend, Bobbie, before getting a glimpse into the real world at the No Strings Attached release party.

(It's Christmas Eve!)

~14~

March 20, 2000
New York

“That was better, but you were still pitchy in some areas,” JC said as he removed his hands from the keyboard that sat in his lap. He looked up at her from the chair he was sitting at. “You’re not relaxed. You need to relax.”

“Shoot, who can relax when your album is this close to releasing?” Annaleigh asked, dropping her arms down by her sides, the sheet music in her hands—covered in her slanted, yet loopy writing—making a crinkling sound as it hit her thighs. She lifted her hand and held her forefinger and thumb apart, a small space between them. “Get real.”

JC chuckled, shaking his head. In fact, it was odd for Annaleigh to see any of them so calm, cool, and collected about it. Maybe it was because it wasn’t the first album they were releasing. But it was the first album they were releasing after the court case. Everyone and their mother was waiting to see what it was that *NSYNC was going to do free from his clutches.

She was excited to be a part of it, but every time she was asked about it, her words came out tight and forced. She didn’t want to give anything away, but was equally excited. Despite seeing everything happen day after day as it slowly came to fruition, every day was like she was being introduced to the music world all over again. She could do without the long days, though. She felt sluggish for a while with how little sleep she was getting through long days and the nerves that kept her up at night.

It didn’t come without reward, though. She quickly found out that the best thing about it all was that she loved performing. They played a show in Connecticut at a high school, and appeared on the Rose O’Donnell show to promote the new album and to announce that tour tickets were now on sale. She couldn’t wait to get home for a few days before the first night on tour. Everything was leading up to the first night of tour. Soon, they’d be flying out to Florida for the final month of the main event doing non-stop rehearsals, especially the last week of that month.

It was what the boys called Hell Week. Affectionately, according to Chris. That last week of rehearsals, they practically locked themselves into the rehearsal space doing nothing but eating, sleeping, and breathing rehearsals. Rumor had it, it got so bad, they even started singing every little thing that came out of their mouths.

She couldn’t wait.

And on the other hand, unsurprisingly to anyone she was sure, she was a nervous wreck.

“You don’t have Gloria’s range, you don’t have to try and match it,” JC said to her as she lowered herself down onto the corner of his bed.

“Thanks for that reminder,” Annaleigh commented. JC struck her with a pointed look, lifting an eyebrow.

“You know what I mean,” he said to her. “And you know I hate it when you talk about yourself like that. You’re better than you think you are.”

“Thanks, dad,” Annaleigh replied.

JC opened and closed his mouth for a moment before leaning back in his chair just slightly. He crossed his arms over his chest. Uh oh. He was going full-on dad mode with her. She was grateful that JC took the time to look out for her and help her feel like she had more than Lance to talk to about things, but there were other times where she hated it when he tried to fill in a fatherly role with her.

And not just her, she saw it with all the other members of NSYNC. When he wasn’t looking for a place to sleep, he was on top of things; making sure they were on schedule, that they were where they needed to be, and focused on whatever task they had at hand.

“Have you heard from him?” he asked.

“Who, my dad?” Annaleigh asked, brushing her hair out of her face, tucking a lock behind her ear. “No, he hasn’t returned my calls in a bit. Last I heard he was takin’ more shifts at the construction site, so…” She shrugged her shoulders.

“And your mom?” he asked. Annaleigh’s eyebrows twitched upwards. “Still nothing?”

“Is that a big surprise to you?” she asked. She shrugged her shoulders. “I’ve actually kind of stopped tryin’ so much. I left her a message about the first show, so I hope she goes.” JC made a humming sound, pursing his lips. “You were adopted, right?”

She watched JC still for a moment before he lifted his blue eyes. “How’d you know that?” he asked quietly.

“Lance told me,” Annaleigh replied. JC gave a slight nod of his head. “He only said something because he knew how my parents were. Don’ be mad at him.”

“I’m not,” JC insisted. He talked over her just slightly. It was like he was prepared for the comment. He gave a tight smile. “Really.”

“Did you ever know your biological parents?” she asked, tilting her head to the side. “If ya don’ mind my askin’.” JC looked like he wasn’t going to answer her, his eyes narrowing slightly before he raked his fingers through his hair, letting out a sigh.

“I don’t normally talk about this,” he said quietly.

“Why not?” she asked.

“But, I think it could help you figure some things out with your parents,” JC continued as if she hadn’t said anything. “I just don’t want this getting around, y’know? Not that I’m ashamed…” He put his hands up in the air, briefly closing his eyes. “Just promise me, please?”

“Cross my heart, hope to die, stick a needle in my eye,” Annaleigh replied as she drew an X over chest before pressing hr index and middle finger together, kissing the tips. “Promise.”

JC carefully set the keyboard down onto the ground, leaning it up against his cluttered desk. “I knew my mom,” he replied, slowly nodding his head. “Until I was about…5 years old. I remember she would make chocolate chip pancakes every Wednesday morning as a ‘pick me up’ during the week, and she would sing along to the songs on the radio—even if she didn’t know all the words. But, she knew the situation we were in at the time wasn’t the best and I think that’s something that makes her not only a wonderful person, but a wonderful mother. She knew she couldn’t keep me in that situation so she decided that allowing another family to raise me was the best thing for me.”

Annaleigh watched as JC turned his head to the side. A muscle in his jaw twitched as he swallowed thickly. “I don’t think she’d ever want me to think of it as her giving me up, and I don’t want to think of it that way, either. She just put me in a better situation with someone she trusted. My parents, Roy and Karen, were her own foster parents a moment in her life. They graciously took me in—and I could still see her, my biological mom. It was an open adoption so I could see her whenever she wanted to visit.”

“You know, I always thought she truly showed how much she loved me by taking me out of our current situation and putting me in a better one. Roy and Karen had always been so loving and supportive of what I did and now I have a brother and a sister—Tyler and Heather—and I love them to death. You see, my mom loved me more than I think could ever comprehend when she decided that what was best for me and for her was for her to go off on her own and to turn her life around.”

Silence stretched between the two of them. “JC,” Annaleigh said quietly, “I—“

“So, a part of me thinks that your mom leaving, and cutting contact with you, despite how hard it had to have been for your mom, and for your dad, and for you,” JC continued, setting his attention back on her, “she had to love you a whole lot to choose to take herself out of the equation. As for never returning your calls, I know it hurts but maybe it’s what she has to do to settle and turn her life around.”

Annaleigh sucked her teeth with her tongue, her jaw setting. She didn’t know how to feel about thought-bomb he had just dropped on her. She was surprised it didn’t blow her to pieces, but it did leave her feeling breathless, just a tad lightheaded, a ringing in her ears, and a little bit of pain. Or at least that’s how she’d describe it if anyone asked. Friend or not, in this town she had been told so many times that if you showed any sign of weakness, people would jump on it like a pack of hyenas.

“Anyway, that’s just my thoughts,” JC said with a shrug. He cleared his throat, before passing his thumb under his nose. “I don’t want to…tell you how to feel or anything.”

“Josh.” JC blinked, lifting his eyebrows in a silent question. “I’m sorry. And thanks.”

“Don’t apologize, I’m not,” JC replied, twisting his mouth to the side. He gave her a hint of a smile. “And you’re welcome.”

“You didn’t say anything about your dad,” Annaleigh pointed out.

“That’s because I don’t know how he is, I don’t know where he is, and I don’t care to know either of those things,” JC replied dismissively as he picked up the keyboard again.

“You never thought about it?” she asked.

JC chuckled. “I’ve had the opportunity,” he muttered. He used a hand and brushed his hair off his forehead, rocking the keyboard back and forth as he shifted his knees. “Tell you what; the day I decide to go and look for my dad, is the day I volunteer to help you find your mom. Whenever you decide to take that into your own hands.”

Annaleigh smiled. “Deal,’ she replied.

“Ok, now let’s get back to work,” JC said, returning to his serious disposition. “Now, on the second verse—you were the one always on my side, always standing by, seeing me through—that part, on the ‘through’ you’re singing it a bit too high.” He then started singing the song, showing her what he was trying to get out of her.

“Ok, I’ll try again,” Annaleigh agreed, nodding her head. She lifted the sheet music and JC started playing the opening lines to the second verse of Music of My Heart. “You were the one always on my side.”

“Always on my side,” JC sang the repeated line (one that originally went to Justin).

“Always standing by, seeing me through. You were the song that always made me sing. I'm singing this for you.” Annaleigh got to her feet as she sang, starting to pace back and forth. “Everywhere I go I think of where I've been. And of the one who knew me better than anyone ever will again.”

“Good,” JC said with a nod of his head, ending the chord he was holding out on the keyboard. “It was better.”

“Not perfect, eh?” Annaleigh asked with a smirk. JC chuckled as he heard a knock on his hotel room door. He got to his feet and crossed the room, the frayed ends of his jeans pants legs dragging on the floor. She heard a click and the door was open.

“Well, doesn’t this look cozy.”

Annaleigh lowered the sheet music in her hand and over at the blonde haired girl standing in the doorway of the hotel room, gazing upon her. Her perfectly shaped eyebrows lifted upwards, exaggerating the arch that was already in place on her forehead.

“Bobbie.” A bright smile blossomed on JC’s face. “What are you doing here?” He enveloped the girl in a tight hug before kissing her. She giggled against his lips, kissing him back with much enthusiasm.

I think I’m going to see my lunch again. Annaleigh felt her upper lip curl as she watched “Bobbie’s” arms loop around JC’s neck as she pressed herself harder against him. Not that that’s really a bad thing. Joey had made lunch that day and he certainly could give her cooking skills a run for her money. With how quickly they all wolfed it down, she did want some more. Hiking an eyebrow, Annaleigh lifted a fist to her mouth and very loudly let out a cough.

“Sorry.” JC blushed as he pulled away from the girl he was kissing on, keeping an arm looped around her thin waist. “Bobbie, this is Annaleigh Carr, our new bass player. Annaleigh, this is my girlfriend, Bobbie Thomas.”

“It’s mighty nice to meet ya,” Annaleigh said, offering her hand towards the older woman.

“Oh, she’s cute,” Bobbie said with a bright smile as she took Annaleigh’s hand, gently shaking it. “It’s no wonder everyone’s talking about her.”

Cute.

Annaleigh wasn’t sure whether or not to be offended. She had a baby face, she knew that, but it did get to be annoying to be 17 years old and still look like a 12-year-old. There was some positives to it. Like for a while after the “age limit” she could still order off the Kids’ Menu at restaurants. But at a time where she wanted to be seen as older, it got annoying. She was surprised Bobbie didn’t go as far as patting her on the head with her coo of greeting.

“I came out to LA for work and decided to drop by and surprise you,” Bobbie replied. She threw her arms up in the air as if she was shouting ‘ta da’ as she jumped out of a cake. “Surprise, Joshie! My magazine is covering the album release tomorrow and I wanted o show my support.”

“Bobbie! You’re amazing.” JC kissed her on the cheek. Bobbie lifted her eyebrows before shifting her gaze over towards Annaleigh. JC broke out of whatever trance he was in, motioning towards her. “Yeah, she’s been a great addition to the group,” JC said, giving Bobbie a kiss on the cheek before giving Annaleigh a pointed look, “no matter how much she thinks she’s messing up.”

“Your positivity does not go unnoticed,” Annaleigh replied, waving her hand in the air.

“One of the many things I like about you, baby,” Bobbie said, reaching out a finger to tap the end of his nose. “So, Anna L—“

Annaleigh,” Annaleigh instantly corrected her. “It’s easy t’remember. Anna rhymes with sauna.”

“That’s cute,” Bobbie said with a bright smile. “Annaleigh.” She paused to make sure she pronounced the name correctly—Annaleigh nodded—and looped an arm around her boyfriend’s shoulders. ”I hope JC has helped you feel at home. He’s always had a comfortable air about him.”

Comfortable enough to practically jump the minute you set your moon eyes on him? Annaleigh pressed her lips together, her last line of defense in blurting out those words. If you want respect, you have to give it. Her dad had told her that so many times and she liked to think she did a good job of holding herself up to those words.

Plus, after having gone through being the town gossip for so long, having to dodge the negative words like bullets, she tried hard not to judge anyone else on how they acted, their personality, or what they had personally gone through in their lives. In a world that could be on your side one minute, and then against you one second later, it was only fair.

“Yeah, JC’s great,” Annaleigh replied. “He’s been helpin’ me with this song.”

“We’re trying to convince her to sing Music of My Heart with us on tour,” JC explained to Bobbie as he brushed a strand of her hair out of her face. “We’re rehearsing the song just in case. She’s a good singer, a few lessons here and there wouldn’t hurt.”

“You’re too sweet, Joshie,” Bobbie cooed before giving JC a kiss on the cheek. “And you have a great voice to boot. If anyone could help her, you could.” She then turned towards Annaleigh. “I heard a little bit outside the door, it was really good. You’re very talented.”

“I thank ya kindly,” Annaleigh said with a smile. “I’ll just leave you two alone.”

“Same time tomorrow, Ace?” JC asked.

“Ace?” Bobbie asked, her eyebrows lifting.

“I’ve been called that for years,” Annaleigh replied, waving her hand in the air. “Name from my best friend, my initials are A.C.C., whichever reason you wanna pick.” She brushed her hair out of her face with her shoulder, speaking to JC. “Depends on what time, I have school first thing in the morning while y’all are doin’ your promo stuff.” She wrinkled her nose, sticking out her tongue.

“Just let me know, maybe we can squeeze it in during all the stuff we have to do,” JC replied. Annaleigh gave a nod of her head, rolling the sheet music in her hand into a tube, tapping it against her palm as she turned towards the door. “So how are you, how’s work?”

“I’ll let you know as soon as I return from the bathroom,” Bobbie replied, placing a hand on JC’s chest, playing with the button of his shirt.

 “I’ll get going,” Annaleigh said, waving the sheet music towards the door.  “I need to eat something, anyway. Everyone’s eating in my suite if you want to join. If I don’t go now, Joey will be followin’ me around the room sighing in despair every five seconds.” She turned around the in the doorway and gave him a smile. “I was thinking about having breakfast for dinner. Fixin’ to make some chocolate chip pancakes. What do you think?”

JC smiled.

“I was hoping I could take you out tonight,” Bobbie said as she stepped out into the hallway. “Catch up and fill each other in our lives. I’m not in New York for long.”

“I’m on good authority t’know that my chocolate chip pancakes make a pretty good desert as well,” Annaleigh said with a wink. “Powdered sugar, whipped cream, chocolate fudge. I’ll make sure Chris and Joey don’t eat it all.”

“Thanks, Ace,” JC replied before kissing Bobbie on the cheek.

“Anytime.”




March 21, 2000
No Strings Attached Release Party
Manhattan, New York

“I’m just saying I don’t understand why the need for clowns,” Gabriel said as he brushed glitter and confetti from his hair. He had to shout over the loud music as he and Annaleigh made their way into Laura Belle—the location for *NSYNC’s album release party.

“You know as well as I do at this point that they have to outdo themselves at every turn,” Annaleigh replied, tightly gripping the black clutch in one hand, using the other to gently pat her hair, checking to see that it was still holding up—despite having a whole can practically used on her alone—after walking the red carpet, taking pictures of their arrival.

It already looked like the party was in full swing and wasn’t going to be slowing down anytime soon. Mimes and clowns worked the crowds, trying to keep them entertained. Glitter or confetti would shower down over the crowd and the arrivals periodically.

“Well this certainly looks like it’s going to be a rager,” Gabriel commented, shaking his head from side to side. “I think I’ll be leaking glitter for a week straight.”

“Aww, that ain’t too bad,” Annaleigh replied, waving her hand in the air. She took a step back to look him up and down. A light gray button down shirt under a black vest, dark pants, and shiny dark shoes. “It adds a nice touch to your outfit.”

“Hmm, yeah, only a girl would say that,” he commented with a teasing smile.

“That don’t mean no nevermind,” she said, waving her hand in the air. Nevertheless she reached her hand up to brush the excess loose glitter from her hair and off her shoulders. She hooked her thumb under the strap of her black dress, bringing some relief of the pressure digging her bra strap into her shoulder. “Ok, how do I look? The top isn’t too revealing is it?”

She motioned towards the upper half of her black dress. She had her hesitations about wearing it herself, but Johanna, Tracy, and Monica never let her down. The solid black material was woven into a diamond like patter over her chest where a nude colored material sat underneath. It was a pretty tasteful dress, but Annaleigh couldn’t help but wonder what her dad would say when he saw it.

“Aw, I’m not the best to ask this question,” Gabriel said with an over exaggerated groan. “Especially now. We already got our pictures taken.” His upper lip curled just slightly as he adjusted the collar of his shirt. “I hate dressing up.”

“You think I do?” Annaleigh asked with a laugh, planting a hand on her hip. “Shoot, t-shirt, sweats, and a nice book are all I need for a night in.”

“Oh, but you wouldn’t look nearly as good as you do now,” Wade said with an easy going smile as he walked up to the two of them. He angled his head in Gabriel’s direction. “That goes to you, too, of course.”

Gabriel laughed. “Of course,” he replied, sliding his hands into his pants pockets. “I appreciate the sentiment.”

“Thank you,” Annaleigh said to Wade.

He blinked in surprise. “No sarcastic comment?” he asked. “I’m shocked.”

“I’m not,” Annaleigh said with a smile before holding her hand out to Gabriel. “You just won me five bucks.” Gabriel clicked his tongue as he reached into his pocket. He pulled out his wallet and removed the dollar bill before handing it to her.

“You couldn’t have waited five minutes, dude?” Gabriel asked as Annaleigh slipped the five dollars into her clutch purse, snapping it shut with a smug smile.

Wade shrugged. “Call it like I see it,” he replied before stepping past the two of them.

“Hey,” Annaleigh said, reaching out and grabbing his shoulder. She gave him a smile. “Seriously, Wade. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” Wade replied, returning her smile and leaning forward just slightly in a small bow.

“That guy has it bad for you,” Gabriel said under his breath as he watched Wade head into the party. He laughed. “Like, obviously so.”

“Gee, I hadn’ noticed,” Annaleigh replied, grasping his arm as he stuck his elbow out towards her.

“It’s not as bad as this one guy who was trying to get my mom’s attention,” Gabriel said as he lead the way inside the building, taking slow steps down the stairs. “He’d do a lot for me; pick me up after school, take me to baseball games, buy me stuff all until she told him that under no circumstances would she go out with him—because she noticed what he was doing. Then it all stopped.”

“He gave you attention just to try and court her?” Annaleigh asked. She clicked her tongue, shaking her head. “That’s not how we do things where I’m from. I’m sorry.”

“I’m not,” Gabriel replied with a smirk. “I think we went to about ten games, and he always gave me money for stuff to buy. Once I caught on, I just kept the money.” His lips parted into a grin. “I saved about $120. Used some of it to buy my mom flowers.” He shook his hair out of his face. “Y’see, my mom looks for guys who’re compatible with me as well as herself.”

“She sounds like a smart woman,” Annaleigh commented.

“She is,” Gabriel replied, reaching for the door handle. He pulled it open and a burst of hot air hit the two of them followed a split second by a loud pumping blast of music. “Come on, let’s find the guys. Congratulate ‘em.”

“They’re over there.” Annaleigh pointed her index finger, where a solid black ring sat, indicating the far side of the room. “I can see Joey’s hair.” She stood on the tips of her cowboy boots. “Shoot. Doesn’ seem to be a way over there.”

“Easiest way to move through a crowd is to go along with them,” Gabriel pointed out. “We’re going to have to dance our way through. I learned all my moves from my mom, so you can watch me make an embarrassment out of myself.”

“I think you’ve been around Joey too much,” Annaleigh said with a laugh. “Just the thought of it is already making me tired.” She pulled her hand from his elbow and fanned herself. She was sure with all the body heat it was going to get worse closer to the center of the room. “I’m going to need some energy. I’m going to get a soda first.”

“Alright, cool,” Gabriel replied with a nod of his head. “Just make sure you keep an eye on it all night and if you put it down, just order another one.” Annaleigh gave him an odd look. “Just trust me.”

“Ok,” she replied. Whatever. Annaleigh made her way around the outskirts of the party to find herself a free bartender to get her a soda. She hummed along to the music that was playing, bopping to the beat. She carefully sidestepped the party goers, trying not to get in their pictures, and be blinded by the bright flash of their disposable cameras. She was sure Joey had his video camera in hand, recording everything.

“What can I get you, little girl?” the bartender asked, leaning across the damp dark wood top to be heard.

Annaleigh bristled at the name, and felt her face heat up more than it already felt due to how warm the building was. Hearing a cackle, she turned her head to see Wade leaning up against the bar, talking to a brunette, who had her glitter nail polish covered fingers stroking his arm.

“Do you have any Mountain Dew, sir?” Annaleigh shouted back. “It’s my favorite.”

“Coming right up.”

“Come on, Wade, just one more dance,” the girl said, tossing her hair over her shoulder. “You promised me a few dances ago.”

“Keeping count, huh, Theresa?” Wade asked with a grin. “And if I were to ask you to get something after, like ice cream, would you count down the hours?”

“Every second,” she replied with a giggle, removing her hand from his arm, placing it on the curve of her waist. “It’s just one dance. You aren’t too shy are you? A great choreographer like yourself? Impossible..”

“Oh, p-lease,” Annaleigh muttered, rolling her eyes. Wade and Theresa looked over at her and Annaleigh quickly realized just how quiet it was between song changes. D’oh! “Annnd, I said that out loud.” She reached for her glass of soda the bartender returned with, gave the bartender a smile and made a hasty exit, walking away as fast as she could. The smile of amusement on Wade’s face burned in her mind.

..

.

Annaleigh flipped her phone shut and slid it into her purse. She turned on her bar stool as she waited for her ordered beverage watching the patrons dance and have a good time as they celebrated. This was one of the best parties she had ever been to. She, Gabriel, Joey  and Chris danced crazily to the music that was playing, and Lance, Justin and JC introduced her to some of the other singers and music producers in attendance.

She knew for sure she was going to be tired the next day, let alone the next week. Tomorrow the boys were heading out to Toronto, Canada for interviews with MuchMusic and a press conference at HMV. Then on the 24th, they’d be announcing the  the first leg of the No Strings Attached tour starting off in Biloxi, Mississippi, before the boys then headed to Nickelodeon’s All That, and then the Oscars to perform “Music of My Heart”, an interview on The View, maybe a Good Morning America appearance and by the end of the week’s time figure out how the first week sales for the album was.

Her brain was tired just thinking about it. But, it was just one step closer to going on tour.

Annaleigh slipped her boots off her feet mentally cursing herself for not insisting on wearing flats that night, and massaged her sore feet with her thumbs. “Awwwww,” she sighed happily as she momentarily relieved the pain with the pressure she pressed onto the soles of her feet.

“Classic rookie mistake,” Theresa commented as she lowered herself onto the empty seat next to her. She tossed her hair over her shoulder and crossed one long, smooth leg over the other. Grasping the straps to her dress, she adjusted them before leaning her elbow on the counter. “Always bring a pair of backup shoes. I mean, your boots are cute, but…”

“Gabe’s letting me use his extras,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug of her shoulders. “He’s gone to get them.”

“How sweet,” Theresa replied with a smile. “He’s really waiting on you hand and foot isn’t he?” She reached out a hand and flicked a lock of Annaleigh’s hair off her shoulder. “You make a cute couple.”

“Don’t come half cocked,” Annaleigh said with a laugh of disbelief. Theresa gave her a confused look. “Gabe and I are just friends.”

“Like you and Wade are,” she commented. She tried to pass it off as an off-hand comment, but Annaleigh zeroed in on the fact that she said that remark as more of a statement than a question. “So, I have nothing to worry about with you then? Good. Because you don’t have a shot with Wade compared to me.”

A hand flew to Annaleigh’s chest. “And me without any pearls to clutch,” she said in a mock-shock tone. “We just work together, that’s all.”

“That better be all,” Theresa said.

Annaleigh tilted her head back, looking up at the disco ball covered ceiling. “We’re not even friends,” she said to her. “We just work together, that’s all. I don’t even see him that often, anyway. Believe you me.”

Theresa tilted her head to the side. “Good,” she said, her smile widening just slightly. “Then we have nothing else to talk about, here.” She turned on her seat and grabbed my glass of soda, lifting the straw to her lips. “It’s kind of a good thing, too. You and Gabriel kind of look alike. I mean, I know you’re from the south but…where exactly?” She winked. “Enjoy the party.” She took a long sip and smacked her red lips as she got to her feet, disappearing into the crowd.

End Notes:

 

I'm going to make a New Year's resolution that I update more often. I've been missing writing about these boys. Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone.

Comfort Food by AceofSpades
Author's Notes:
Annaleigh and NSYNC spend the last few days before tour rehearsals start with meetings, relaxing, and ice skating.

~15~

March 27, 2000
New York

“We’re actually doing a home video now,” the group’s Lance Bass told MTV over the weekend in between appearances and live performances. “We’re taking some footage that we shot from when we first got together, and it’s very funny.”

This news comes straight from the boy band themselves in an exclusive reveal. If you don’t know how *NSYNC was before, you’ll soon learn exactly who they are as your daughters will rush out to buy this release. Not only will the boys’ music soon be playing nonstop for months to come, soon they’ll even feel like a part of your family—if they don’t already feel that way. 

“It’s not just always on stage and big and huge,” ‘NSYNC’s J.C. Chasez added. “It’s like chillin’ at home, being normal.” Yes, you’ll probably get the opportunity to see the boys with their feet up on the couch and lounging around. Successful boy bands do take breaks from time to time, you know.

The group’s Joey Fatone noted, “It’s everything from traveling to toboggan rides to….”

“Our first gigs,” Justin Timberlake concluded. There’s no official word yet on when that archival footage will hit stores. In the meantime, the band’s most anticipated album, No Strings Attached, is releasing at the end of this week and the projected numbers of sales have the boys shooting for a new sales record for the week.

Annaleigh turned the page of the magazine in her hands and made a face at the image of herself on the red carpet of NSYNC’s album release party stared her in the face. Her dad was going to kill her for the chest design of that dress. The whole outfit, makeup and hair, really did work together, she had to admit.

“Why didn’ anyone tell me I have no butt?” she asked, tilting her head to the side. Her upper lip curled just slightly.

“Are we allowed to look?” Chris asked.

“No,” Lance and JC instantly replied.

Joey took the magazine from her hands before joining her on the couch. “This?” he asked. He clicked his tongue. “You look fine. Trust me.” He handed the magazine back to her and jumped onto the couch, jostling her. “Ugh, my feet are killing me.”

Annaleigh pursed her lips as she lifted the magazine in her hands and faced the sock covered feet that belonged to Joey; his heels pressing into her stomach. She started to repeatedly swat at his feet with the magazine but he didn’t budge. “Does that explain why you’re usin’ me as a foot rest?” she asked. She then made a face, wrinkling her nose. “Phew!  I normally say this ‘bout your breath, but take a step back or get a tic-tac, Joe.”

“I told you they smelled,” Justin said with a loud laugh from where he sat on the counter in the kitchen. He had one arm wrapped around a cooking pot. In his hand was a wooden spoon. As usual, he was eating a giant bowl of cereal. Just the thought of how soggy the remaining pieces were made Annaleigh’s stomach turn; not to mention the purple colored leftover milk. “I can smell them from here.”

With how much they had gone through over the past week, Annaleigh wasn’t surprised Joey’s feet smelled. Or, even more likely, that he hadn’t touched his laundry. She made a mental note to check to see if any of them needed theirs to be done otherwise she knew it wouldn’t be touched for the longest time.

From here on out, things were getting really busy as it got closer and closer to when the tour kicked off. They’d be stationed in Orlando, Florida working day after day on the tour apart from their other responsibilities already scheduled for them. Just looking at what was laid out ahead of her, including finishing up her schooling in time for the tour to start, made her feet ache. The boys would be dancing all night, but none of them knew how hard it was to have to stand in cowboy boots all day.

Throughout this whole experience, Annaleigh was getting more time on stage and learning the ins and outs of promoting your work and marketing yourself, but she was nervous about tour. It was on a grander scale than a TV show, and everybody would be there in person to see how the show would turn out. It made her stomach twist, just thinking about it.

And she was currently on her period, so that was a bonus.

Now they were all lounging in one of the couple suites they checked into, waiting for Johnny to start the meeting he called. They were becoming more frequent as it got closer towards tour starting and it ranged a lot of topics. Family accommodations (Justin’s mom was coming to be with him soon), deciding who would be in which tour bus, finalizing their ideas for stage design, and so much more was on the agenda.

“I’m not givin’ you a foot massage, Joe-Joe,” Annaleigh said to him. She grasped his toes in one hand and moved his foot over to the right just slightly before allowing him to drop his heel onto her stomach. She sighed as his heel pushed away a cramp. Much better. She gave him a bright smile. “But, you could be a sweetheart and massage mine.” She wiggled her toes as she stretched her legs out on the long “stick” of the L-shaped couch they sat on.

“That’s not fair.” Joey rested his arm over the back of the couch and stuck out his bottom lip. He started wiggling his toes as well. Annaleigh shrieked, turning her head away as he lifted a foot and started putting his toes in her face. “For the refusal, I command thee to smell my feet.”

“Ewwwww!” Annaleigh pushed his feet away and said between laughs, “people in hell want ice water but that don’ mean they’re goin’ to get it.” JC let out a loud laugh from where he was slumped sideways in the arm chair across from the couch. His eyes were on the TV screen where Chris and Lance were playing a fighting game on the PlayStation.

“Good one,” he said, swinging his arm out, pointing in a random direction. He swung his feet to the floor and glanced at the clock on the wall and stretched his arms over his head. “Come on guys, wrap it up. Johnny will be here soon for the meeting.”

“We didn’t even get the chance to play NBA Hangtime yet,” Justin protested, milk dribbling down his chin. He started to loudly, and rapidly chew the rest of his cereal, jumping down from the counter. He used one arm to wipe the milk from his face, leaving a light purple streak before tilting the rest of his cereal and milk into the sink. Running the water he turned on the garbage disposal. “I’ve been waiting.”

“I’ve also been waitin’ for you to eat some fruit, Timberlake,” Annaleigh called over to him as Lance and Chris turned away from the game system. “You can’t just eat cereal all the time.” She grit her teeth. “Especially when I went out and bought a lot of it.”

“Sorry, mom,” Justin said with his bright smile as he turned off the water and the disposal.

Annaleigh bristled. “What’d you just call me?” she asked, trying to get up off the couch. Justin’s eyes widened as he lowered himself into a seated position on the floor by the table.

“Calm down,” Lance said, turning around to face her, giving her a small smile. “He’s just kidding. You were the one who had the sudden craving for blueberries, anyway.”

“I ran out of jellybeans,” Annaleigh said with a shrug.

Lance blinked in surprised before an “ah ha” look suddenly appeared on his face. He got to his feet as a loud knock was heard at the door.

“Oh, that must be Johnny,” JC said, following Lance out of the living room. He slid the lock and pumped the door handle, pulling it open. “Hey, man.”

“Is everyone here?” Johnny asked, getting straight to the point as he walked into the hotel room, pausing briefly to clasp hands with JC in a handshake and quick hug. “I know Wade is out working on new choreography at a studio.”

“Gabe’s spending some time with his mom before we fly out,” Lance explained as he made his way out of the kitchen with a bowl of blueberries and a bottle of water. “Here.” Annaleigh took the bottle of water with a smile of thanks, her other hand grasping the bowl of blueberries. “Advil, too.” Lance dropped the two light pink rounded painkillers into Annaleigh’s palm.

“Thanks, Lance.” Annaleigh quickly downed the two painkillers before starting to chow down on the fruit. She grasped a pillow and set it on the floor against the couch and leaned back against it, giving JC room on the couch. Lance joined her on the floor, leaving the chair empty for Johnny. With a running start, Justin leapt through the air and landed on the couch.

“Ow!” Chris shouted as Justin’s bodyweight landed on top of him. “Dude.” Justin cackled loudly as Chris tried to push him off of his lap.

“Justin, get off Chris,” Johnny said, shaking his head back and forth. He rolled his eyes when he got snorts and chuckles in reply. “That’s not what I meant and you know it.”

“What’s all that?” Annaleigh asked before shoveling a handful of blueberries into her mouth, nodding at the manila folder tucked under his arm.

“Only a little bit of what’s needed for tour,” Johnny replied with a short laugh, setting the folder down onto the table. He removed he baseball cap perched on top of his head and scratched his fingers through his short hair before putting it back. “I’m flying out tomorrow to meet with Tim Miller—the tour’s production manager to go over the pieces for the stage, for pyrotechnics, and all of that to make sure we stay in budget and to see that we have everything the boys wanted.”

“Tim-my!” Chris called, clapping his hands together. The other boys copied his announcement, clapping his hands together.

“I’m also meeting with Ibrahim Duartes—the tour manager—as well.” Johnny snapped his fingers, pointing in Annaleigh’s direction. “Remind me to give you his phone number. If there’s anything at all you need while on tour, and I mean anything, you talk to him. He’s on top of everything.”

“Yes, sir,” Annaleigh replied.

“And my mom will be there, so if you need anything um…” Justin hesitated for a moment, chewing slightly on his bottom lip, “girl related, you can talk to her.” Annaleigh hadn’t been around Justin’s mom a lot, but she was easily comfortable in her vicinity. Lynn was like a mom to everyone and made sure everyone was physically and mentally ok as well as just feel like they had someone looking out for their best interest.

“And for you, Little Missy,” Johnny said as he opened the manila folder. Sitting on top of a stack of papers was an envelope. He lifted it off the stack and handed it over to the Southern woman. “Your paycheck.”

“Ooh, good,” Annaleigh said with a smile as she took the envelope. She flipped over the back of the envelope and pulled out the check, turning it around to look at the dollar amount. “By the way, how do I put 10% of this in my bank account?”

“You mean you haven’t been?” Lance asked after a moment of silence.

Annaleigh felt herself blush when she realized everyone was staring at her. She shrunk in front of them, seeming to fold in on herself. “…I don’ know how?” she said as more of a question. Scratching the back of her head, she admitted, “Actually, I haven’ put any of my money in the bank.”

“You know checks can expire,” JC explained.

“I do now,” Annaleigh said with a frown. It wasn’t like she needed a lot of money and she hadn’t found anything to spend a lot of money on, but this was a lot of money saved up. One of her dad’s rules for her to even take the job was to put part of her money into the bank to save up for college and she wasn’t even following through with that.

“Ok, don’t panic, I can handle it,” Johnny said, plucking the check from her hands. “Just get me the rest of them and it’ll all be worked out in no time.” He folded his hands together on top of the table. “Do you have a savings account?” Annaleigh stared blankly at him. “Guess I’ll be handling that, too.”

“Where’d you keep the rest of it, anyway?” Joey asked.

“Tampon box” was on the tip of her tongue but he she held off on answering on the question with a verbal response. Instead, she just shrugged and started twisting a lock of hair around her finger. She knew none of the guys would ever look in there, let alone go out and buy her some whenever she asked.  But, this was the kind of stuff she needed to learn in school, not Pre-Calculus. This reminded her that she had math problems she still had to do.

“Just get it to me later, that’s ok,” Johnny repeated, waving his hand in the air. He then started passing out the papers and Annaleigh quickly noticed the staple binding them together, diving them into stacks.

As soon as she was handed one, she started flipping through the pages. The word “Rehearsal” appeared one, two, three, four...too many times to count. Her body was already tired just thinking about it all. At least they’d be in Florida in the next couple of days. The sunshine and warmer weather was sure to put her in a better mood. From what small instances she’d get to see the outside world. Whatever this “Lakeland Center” was, she would be trapped inside it day in and day out until they hit the road.

“MTV will start following you all around for a Making the Tour they want to do with you all,” Annaleigh snapped back into the conversation in time to hear this tidbit of information. “After the success of the making of the ‘Bye Bye Bye’ video and with the anticipation for the tour, this will be a big opportunity to see what it’s like to get prepared for the tour.”

“Let me remind everyone of what we decided to do for the set list. Ok, we’ve got ‘No Strings’, ‘Tearin’ Up My Heart’, ‘God Must Have Spent’, ‘It Makes Me Ill’, ‘I Want You Back’, ‘It’s Gonna Be Me’, ‘Drive Myself Crazy’, ‘Just Got Paid’, ‘ I Thought She Knew’, ‘Space Cowboy’, ‘This I Promise’, and ‘Digital Get Down’.”

“Instead of quick changes, I think we should be able to have power naps,” Joey commented with a laugh, shaking his head as he listened to the song list. “We’re going to be so tired.”

“I vote for massages,” Annaleigh muttered.

“Now she’s getting the idea,” Chris declared.

“How many new dances is that?” Justin wondered aloud. “That’s…seven new dances you’ve got to work out or the tour?”

“At least you already know ‘It’s Gonna Be Me’ or ‘Bye Bye Bye’, ‘I Want You Back’, and ‘Tearin’ Up My Heart,” Annaleigh commented. “Are live arrangements that much different then how they’re performed for other live shows?”

“In a word; yes,” Lance replied with a nod of his head. He shrugged his shoulders before stretching his legs out in front of him. “You can do a lot more improvisation when you perform live. No two shows are ever the same.”

“We also do intermissions and things like that to give us time for quick changes,” Joey explained, “so it’s not exactly song after song after song. Songs can be longer because of the different arrangements for them because they sound better a certain way when they’re played live.”

“Speaking of which, we need the final decision on whether or not you’ll be performing ‘Music of My Heart’ on tour,” Johnny spoke up. As silence stretched through the room, he tapped his pen against his thigh. “Everyone would get a kick out of hearing Ryan Carr’s daughter sing. They’ve been asking since you were signed to the band.”

She still didn’t understand how a lot of people—maybe more than she realized—had even knew who she was. Her dad had barely talked about his old band or life on the road, but obviously they made a bigger impact on people’s lives than she realized. Maybe that was why they were so interested? She’d be lying if she said she didn’t pour over every ‘Where are they now?” articles of some of her favorite musicians. Only she never realized that her dad was one of those people. Not only was she getting more recognition for being the new bass player in NSYNC’s band, and the only girl, but she was, in a way, becoming famous for being famous.

“You’ve been doing well during practice,” JC spoke up. He gently kicked Annaleigh’s back (which just briefly alleviated the tightness in her lower back) and gave her a warm smile as she turned to face him. “Work on it every day for the next month and you’ll be ready to perform no problem. And we’ll all be on stage with you, so you wouldn’t be alone.”

“Let me ask you this,” Johnny spoke up. “Why are you so against performing this song?”

She didn’t want people to think she got the job because of her dad. She didn’t want people to think she got the job because of Lance. She wasn’t good enough to be part of Attaché and Showstoppers, so what made her think she was good enough to sing with NSYNC. All of that and more. But, NSYNC were able to make names for themselves and they were from all over the place and was given the right opportunity at the right time.

Annaleigh shrugged. “I don’t know,” she muttered in reply. “No reason, I guess.”

Johnny leaned forward in his seat, setting his elbows onto his knees. “I don’t want to pressure you into doing something you’re not ready to do,” he said quietly. “I just need to know before talking to Tim, Ibrahim, stage managers and a whole handful of other people in regards to purchasing another set of microphones, and mixers and to let them know to add in work for another person performing, there’s a lot that goes into this; having a guest sing for even just one song. We just need to get final numbers in.”

This is the kind of thing you always wanted to do, Ace, Annaleigh thought to herself. She looked over at Lance who gave her a small smile of support. He’ll be on stage with you; he’ll be right beside you while on tour. There’s nothing to worry about. Annaleigh lifted her hand to the chain around her neck and grasped her necklace, sliding the ring back and forth around the chain. You’ve already taken this big step, don’t let your parents down after talking them into it. And JC has already put in so much time in helping you.

“Ok,” she said, before she even really realized what she was doing. The truth was, this whole thing was bigger than just her. It was all really hitting her now. She was going on tour with one of the biggest bands working in that moment. “I’ll do it.” She smiled. “No problem.”

“Are you sure?” Johnny asked, the tip of his pen poised over his copy of the stack of papers (which housed their upcoming schedule, the prices of pieces for their stage, and clothing options which all amounted to more money than had to be in a single Monopoly box).

“Yes, sir—Johnny, I’m sure,” Annaleigh said with a series of nods, “I’m sure.”

“All right, that settles that,” Johnny said as he started to write. “The next time we meet, I’ll have a list of interviews you all can choose from to take part in. MTV is definitely one you’ll want to hit up, and Lance and Annaleigh, I’ve been getting offers for interviews for you back home in Mississippi; Annaleigh some even including your dad that he seems to be excited for.”

Annaleigh nodded along with the boys as they moved onto the next topic to be discussed. But she was barely paying attention. Her dad had all but left the music world behind and even when she brought up the topic of him and music, it was quickly changed. All he’d ever really discuss was anything related with music and the church. It had taken a lot of convincing to get him to perform at the diner back home for the holidays. She wouldn’t have just now been finding out more than ever about his band if it was an open topic of conversation. So what changed?

Seemed Annaleigh still had a lot to learn about the business.


 

Lance set down the hotel’s menu after having decided on what it was he was going to have to eat. He reached for his glass of water and peered at Annaleigh as she continued to look through the menu. It was one of the last few times they’d really be able to spend some time together and he’d get to prep her for the month of rehearsals before touring started.

He could tell that everything was really sinking in for her. And for them as well. The second they set foot in Orlando it was crunch time. For a month straight they were rehearsing non-stop. They had new upbeat dance choreography to learn, and they still had to put everything on stage, and time it with the pyrotechnics, and get their wardrobe down exactly to what they wanted, and and and. Even Johnny was worried, and he was the first to let you know when he was worried about something.

“Annaleigh is very inexperienced,” he had said the second she left the hotel room when her part of the meeting was over. “We’ve had to get her to caught up to speed in a very short amount of time and I’m worried that it’s really going to make her crack at some point.”

“Johnny, this wouldn’t be easy for anyone,” Justin had pointed out, slouched in his seat, arms crossed over his chest. “We had to find a new bassist fast.”

“Mmmm, but someone else with years of experience could pick things up faster,” JC had replied.

“You don’t think she can do it?” Lance had asked. A part of him was annoyed; Annaleigh was working her butt off to help them be the best they could be. On the other hand, he understood what it was they were saying. Even back when she auditioned, they all knew they were taking a big risk with her. But everyone had to start somewhere. “I mean, you brought me in late and thrust me into the group and I could barely dance.”

“You still can’t,” Chris had replied. Lance rolled his eye as JC elbowed him in the side. Chris just gave a smile of amusement before laughing quietly. Before he could make a comment on the word “thrust”, JC jumped in to explain himself.

“I didn’t say that,” he had said. “You just can’t deny that a musician with prior experience would’ve been able to adjust quicker.” He had given a shrug of his shoulders. “That’s all.”

“Everyone has to start somewhere, C,” Joey had said, stretching his arms over his head before dropping them down onto his stomach. “This is all different compared to how she was living before and you see how hard she’s working.”

“We all saw how insecure she was just a moment ago,” Johnny had pointed out, cradling his chin in his hand. “I just wonder if this really is too much for her. She doesn’t want to let any of you down; least of all you, Lance.”

“I know she can do this,” Lance insisted. “She gets along well with everybody. Sure, she’s scared to make a mistake, but how many of us wasn’t when we first started this career?” He lifted his eyebrows in a pointed look. “And she always does better after you correct her on something. Once we get into rehearsals and we run through everything day after day, she’ll get the hang of it. And she’s more confident then when she started.”

“The fans like her already,” Justin added. “I think she’ll be fine.” He put a hand in the air. “I see why you’re worried, Johnny, but things will be ok. She just needs support.”

“She has our support,” Chris quickly jumped in.

“Ok,” Johnny said with a small smile. “I trust you. Thank you for hearing me out. I can’t deny that there’s something about her and she has been doing a great job, I can’t deny that. Both her and Gabe.” He cleared his throat. “But thank you for listening to my concerns.”

“Of course.”

“No problem, man.”

Lance figured this was as good a time as any to pick Annaleigh’s brain and really get to know what it was exactly that she was feeling about the upcoming tour. She could be one of the most confident people he had ever met, but this wasn’t Clinton, Mississippi anymore. The United States was a lot bigger with more people watching everything they were doing.

“So, how are you feeling about everything?” Lance asked.

“I think I’m goin’ ta have the lobster,” Annaleigh replied.

Lance’s nose wrinkled as he made a face. “You hate lobster,” he replied, not bothering to correct her on the topic that he was trying to discuss. “Ever since that time you thought you were having a heart attack from all the butter you put on it.”

“It wasn’t a coincidence that I had those chest pains around the time I ate it at the fair,” Annaleigh protested, putting her hands in the air. She quietly cleared her throat. “Stacey helped me realize I needed to go up a bra size but that’s beside the point.”

Lance snorted.

“I’m jus’ really in the mood for some,” Annaleigh replied as she lowered her menu. She folded it together and set her hands on top of it. “But, I think I’ll stick with the burger and onion rings, though. And the mac and cheese.”

“You just can’t stay away from the mac and cheese can you?” Lance asked with a smile.

“They don’ call it comfort food for nothin’,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug of her shoulders.

“I’ll remember to put it on the tour bus rider for you, then,” Lance said, tapping his  “And Blueberry jellybeans for the dressing room, too.”

“Speaking of comfort,” Lance commented, “I have never seen you this insecure in your life.” Annaleigh lifted an eyebrow at his sudden outburst.

“I could say the same for you,” she replied and he blinked in surprise.

“How so?” he asked.

“You’re different out here,” Annaleigh replied with a shrug.

Lance was silent for a moment. “What do you mean?” he asked.

“I mean…different,” Annaleigh repeated. “I know the James Lance Bass at home that’s always out with his friends, can barely stop talkin’, and always has a good time. You’re jus’ different.”

“It’s just because tour is coming up,” Lance replied, reaching for his glass of water again. “We all get more serious once it gets closer to rehearsals. Don’t worry; we’ll have you pulling your hair out again in no time.” She didn’t know how right she was, though. He was different when he was with NSYNC and now she was getting a front row seat to it.

“I don’ doubt it,” Annaleigh laughed. “Nah, I love bein’ ‘round all of y’all.” She set her elbows down onto the table and tucked her hair behind her ear. “It’s fun and I’m learnin’ a lot.” The corners of her lips pulled down just slightly. “It’s just a lot more than I really thought went into it and I don’ want to mess it up.”

“You’re too hard on yourself,” Lance said.

“Not as hard as the fans will be,” Annaleigh replied with a short laugh, “not as hard as the media will be. Not as hard as—“

“I felt the exact same way when I started, but look at how it’s turned out,” Lance pointed out to her. “I promise, everything will be ok.” He twisted his mouth to the side. “In fact, I seem to remember you and Darren telling me that my worries of dancing were all in my head before I flew out to Orlando.”

“Here I thought you were a lost cause,” Annaleigh said with a smirk.

“Oh, ha, ha,” Lance said, making a face. “I know I wasn’t the best, but the guys really stood up for me when they wanted me out of the band. So, I’m going to stand up for you.”

Annaleigh smiled. “That’s sweet, James,” she said as the waiter came over to take their order. After it was put in and their menus were collected, Annaleigh set a curious look on him. “So, what do I have to look forward to while on tour?”

“Farts, body odor, and piles of clothes,” Lance replied. “And that’s just from Joey.”

Annaleigh laughed. “So, do I have to look forward to you bringing a girl back to the tour bus?” she asked and Lance let out a loud laugh.

“No,” he replied, shaking his head. “Definitely not.”

“Uh-huh.”

“What?”

Annaleigh shrugged her shoulders before taking a long sip of her water. “You have hundreds of girls throwin’ themselves at you and you’ve never once taken the opportunity to bring one back to the tour bus?” she asked, giving him a pointed look.

“Nah, I’ve been too busy,” Lance replied, waving his hand in the air. “No. No, no, no.” Not to mention that it would be hard to bring back who he wanted to bring back to the tour bus. If he wanted. And he didn’t.

Sure, there were a lot of good looking guys while on tour, but it wasn’t like he could really do anything without making people wonder and question. Then it’d get back to the band and he didn’t know how they’d feel and he didn’t know how it’d affect everything as a whole and he was not going to be the reason why it didn’t work out for everyone else.

“Busy with what?” Annaleigh asked.

“Oh, I never told you,” Lance said, blinking in surprise. “I have this company—or management business rather, called Freelance Management.”

“Cute,” Annaleigh said with a smirk.

“Anyway, it’s to help develop country artists,” Lance said after he pulled his tongue back into his mouth having stuck it out at her. “You remember Meredith Edwards from home?” Annaleigh nodded. “Through my management, she’s going to open for us on tour for a while. Mom and Stace are helpin’ me out.” Annaleigh gave him her words of well wishes, eyes alight with excitement. “Anyway, Joey for sure,” Lance continued on their previous topic. “But not me.”

He made a mental note to remind himself to bring up that topic with the other guys. Joey was the most obvious flirt out of the five of them. JC could be a flirt as well, but he was more calculated with his endeavors. Chris and Justin he didn’t have to worry too much about with their relationships. He then pointed a warning finger at her.

“And I better not hear about you.”

Annaleigh let out a laugh. “Please tell me you’re jokin’, Lance,” she said. “I don’ have the self-esteem for that and you know it.” Lance was silent for a moment. That was true. “Heyyyy.”

“You’re not wrong,” Lance protested with a sheepish smile. “So, I have nothing at all to worry about?” Annaleigh shook her head. “Not even Wade?”

“Excuse me?” Annaleigh asked.

“Like my Mimi always says, ‘He ain’t holdin’ a candle for you, he’s holdin a goddamn torch’,” Lance said in his best falsetto, earning a laugh from his old friend.

“Bless your heart,” Annaleigh said as her laughter died down. She adjusted the napkin in her lap, shaking her head. “There’s nothin’ goin’ on with me and Wade. We couldn' even have chemistry with vinegar and baking soda.”

“Well, at least you learned something from science,” Lance commented and Annaleigh rolled her eyes. “Why? Because he’s not Darren?”

“Nobody’s like Darren,” Annaleigh said with a shake of her head. “And I think I’ve been wasting too much time thinkin’ that way. Can I really think that anythin’ could happen while I’m on the road for the next year?”

Lance didn’t say anything. Chris and Kelly knew how to work out their relationship and Justin and Britney were doing pretty well with both their busy schedules. He wasn’t an expert in this field at all and didn’t know what the right answer would be. But, if you liked someone enough you’d work hard to have things work out between the two of you, right? There was his almost year long relationship with Danielle Fishel, but that was hard to not only try and keep personal, but keep going. Like he said, he wasn’t an expert.

“I’ve just come to accept that it’s not going to happen right now,” Annaleigh concluded with a shrug of her shoulders, twisting her mouth to the side. “That’s all. It kind of sucks but…not like I had ‘im to begin with, right?”

Lance’s chest swelled with pride. “Maybe I don’t have to worry about you so much,” he commented.

“Ya never have,” Annaleigh said in a sing-song tone. “Wade and I are just…co-workers—I guess. That’s all.” She drew an X over her chest. “Besides I still have that ‘no romantic entanglements’ rule.”

“That’s only until you turn 18,” Lance pointed out to her. “And the least you could do is try and be friends with him.”

Annaleigh waved her hand in the air. “You on the other hand; how have ya gone this long without a girlfriend?”

“Don’t start,” Lance muttered, shifting his attention to the kids in the lobby who had commandeered a luggage cart and was pushing it back and forth against the smooth tiled floor. He wondered how long it’d take for them to lose control of it. After a couple of meet ups with hotel security due to a decent sized hole in a couple walls at the start of NSYNC’s career, he quickly learned what he and his friends could get into when they were bored enough. “I have to deal with it all the time from the other guys.”

And he knew this tour wasn’t going to be any different. He knew it was all just in good fun, and like Annaleigh said, the fans were throwing themselves at him; it was like any man’s dream. Only he wasn’t like any other guy out there. He used to think being on stage and showing everyone his talents was something he had always wanted, but he never thought people wanting to know so much about his personal life would come with that package. It was something he was growing used to, but even then, there were some instances that were just crazy. Just recently there was a fan that wanted to buy some of Justin’s French toast.

“Ok,” Annaleigh said as she reached for her glass of water. She held it in the air. “Here’s a toast; to the tour.”

Lance smiled at the notion and lifted his glass as well, gently tapping the rim against hers. “To the tour,” he repeated. Their food was delivered to them and they continued their meal with laughter and reminiscent conversation before they paid and started making their way up their floor, but were met in the lobby by everyone else.

“Come on,” JC said, waving them over, “we’re going ice skating at the Rockefeller Center.”

“More like falling on our asses,” Chris said with a shrug, “but since it’s one of our last days here, why not go out with a bang.”

“Or bumps, or bruises,” Joey said with a smirk.

“Sounds fun,” Lance agreed. He turned towards Annaleigh. “You in?”

“Why not?” she asked. “I can mask the pain in my stomach with how many falls I’ll take on my butt. I jus’ need to get my coat.”

“Me too,” Lance replied.

“Hurry up, then,” Justin said, angling his head towards the revolving door. “Wade and Gabe are going to meet us there.”

“I’ll get yours,” Lance offered, holding his hand towards Annaleigh. With a “thanks” she handed him the card to her hotel room and he hurried back upstairs to grab their coats before joining everyone back downstairs. With Justin leading the way, they headed out of the hotel (out of a side door to not get held up by the fans that lingered around outside) and down the streets of New York towards the ice skating rink.

They had barely even set foot at the Rockefeller Center when Lance a weird buzz around him. Kind of like the feeling of carbonation stuck in his chest when he drank Barq’s Red Cream Soda so fast it got stuck in his chest. (Which reminded him that he needed to put that on the tour bus rider as well; it was hard to find and was a tour staple for him.) Kind of like the electric feeling his body held after a concert only on a smaller scale. He slid his hands into his coat pockets, sniffed as a cool breeze blew and squinted his eyes against the sunlight. Looking around, he instantly figured out what it was and let out a sigh.

He didn’t want to sound ungrateful, but it really was hard to be famous sometimes. He could barely go to the mall without being mobbed and having to go from store to store as if he was in a Mission Impossible movie. Apparently, it was even harder to go ice skating if the stares and whispers meant anything.

Maybe it was her short stature in comparison to the rest of the group or maybe it was simply that she was the only girl there, but Annaleigh was spotted first. Her reaction at Disney with all the fans wasn’t the best and he could only imagine how she would do now. Before he, or even Joey as Lance saw, could edge her closer to the center of the group, it started.

“Hey!” a girl with a carrying voice cried. “Aren’t you—ohmygoshitsNSYNC.”

For the longest moment, no one moved as the group of faced the fans that suddenly all froze to see what the screaming was about. A loud scream erupted from somewhere in the middle of the large crowd and at once, it surged forward, right towards them. Annaleigh was the first to move, turning on her heels and taking off as fast as she could.

 Justin, JC, Lance, Joey, Chris, and Wade’s heads slowly turned as they watched Annaleigh sprint away from the shrieking fans, arms and legs swinging as fast as she could make them go.

“I have never in my life seen a girl run so fast wearing cowboy boots,” Chris commented, jaw slack.

“And still look hot, too,” Joey added, earning an elbow to the side courtesy of Lance.

“Clearly, you’ve never seen her on the soccer field,” Lance said, lifting a hand to cover his mouth. He didn’t know what to do. As soon as the fans started screaming there wasn’t much you could do to calm them down.

“Well, don’t just stand there,” JC cried. He started moving backwards, pulling at Justin and Chris. “We have to help her.”

“I think we should save our butts first,” Joey said.

“Shit.”

“Son of a bitch!”

“Run!”

Lance shoved Wade aside as he, JC, Justin, Chris, and Joey took off running in separate directions.


 

Annaleigh careened into the side of the ice rink, catching herself before she fell. Her toes crammed into the tight space at the front of the skates. Cowboy boots had nothing on ice skates but they both called for a foot massage at the end of a long day.

“Ow,” she groaned, wiggling her toes as much as she could.

“You ok?” Wade asked as he skated over, coming to a stop beside her. He gave her a teasing smile. “Here I thought the posture you pageant girls perfected were to help with your balance.”

“That doesn’t help much when you’re on ice this slick,” Annaleigh replied, letting out a breath of air. “I only skate on the ponds back home and those are more bumpy.” She then frowned. “Shoot, now I owe Chris ten bucks. I bet him I could make it around before him.”

“Ten bucks worth spent, I think,” Wade said with a small laugh, pointing ahead of them. Annaleigh followed her gaze and watched Chris windmill his arms in an over exaggerated way as he maneuvered himself between fans who shrieked and laughed and reached for him, trying to help him stay up on his feet.

Annaleigh shook her head. The man really couldn’t go five minutes without making a ham of himself…or to try and get a girl’s attention.

“So I think I’ve got you figured out,” Wade commented, gaining her attention again. “And a good thing, too, before tour started.”

“Oh, have you?” Annaleigh asked. She slowly removed her hand from the wall and glided along beside him. “Go ahead and tell me.”

“I think you’re a snob,” Wade replied.

Annaleigh laughed. “I’m not a snob,” she replied with a shake of her head. “Believe you me.”

“And yet you seemed to have gone out of your way to avoid me during the album release party,” Wade commented.

“You seemed to have had your hands full with Theresa, why spoil your fun,” Annaleigh replied with an amused smile. “She couldn’ keep her eyes off you.” Her smile turned into a smirk. “Or her hands.”

“You sound jealous,” Wade said into her ear as he skated past her before turning around to glide backwards. “Theresa works in the city for a magazine, I run into her a lot while we’re here.”

“You don’ have to explain anythin’ to me,” Annaleigh replied, putting her hands up defensively. Wade just shrugged. “Seriously.” She pushed herself towards him and grasped onto her shoulder to keep herself standing upright from the sudden movement. “I’m really flattered and I’m grateful you’ve been nice and acceptin’ of me joinin’ the guys and the band, but I’m not interested in you. In that way. I jus’ want to be friends.”

“Ok,” Wade said with a shrug of his shoulders. “No problem, Boots.”

Annaleigh blinked, startled. “Ok,” she slowly replied. “Well in that case, Frostry—“ her gaze shifted upwards towards his light hair, “let’s start over.” She held her hand out towards him. “Annaleigh Carr. Friends call me Ace.”

“Wade Robson,” Wade replied, sliding his hand into hers, shaking it up and down. “So, what made you want to audition for the band, anyway? I don’t think I really asked.”

“Well, after I really started to notice my parents arguing a lot,” Annaleigh explained, starting to skate beside him, “I tried to do anything and everything to be away from home for a long as I could. I hung out with Lance and our friends Darren, and Jasmine for as long as I could.” She sucked in a cold breath of air and let it out in a white puff. “Their parents didn’t fight like mine and they had siblings, just like I always wanted. I wanted his life, I guess. Or a part of it.“ She made a face. “That sounds bad, doesn’t it?”

“No, everyone wants to have someone’s life at some point,” Wade said with a shrug. “Does Lance know?”

“No,” Annaleigh said with a shake of her head. “Not much he could do about it. Plus, I didn’t want him to have to worry about what was going on back home while he was on the road.”

“Well, you’ll both be working together on the road now,” Wade reminded her. “But, you’ll have to go home sometime.”

“Sooner,” Annaleigh said. “Tour starts in Mississippi, remember?”

 

End Notes:
Happy Valentine's Day
This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2703