Fedeltà by tda720
Summary:

Loyalty is everything in Lani’s family; all her life she stayed loyal to the people that raised her and cold to the people who didn’t matter. What happens when someone who shouldn’t matter comes in and starts to test the loyalty she has towards her family?


Categories: In Progress Het Stories Characters: Justin Timberlake
Awards: None
Genres: Alternate Universe, Drama, Romance
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 35088 Read: 40172 Published: Jul 18, 2007 Updated: Aug 27, 2007

1. Characters by tda720

2. He Likes the Bartender... by tda720

3. There's No Place Like Home by tda720

4. Another "Friendly" Encounter by tda720

5. Family Secrets Revealed by tda720

6. But Then I Got High... by tda720

7. Unwelcomed Visitors by tda720

8. Positive Changes by tda720

9. Stay The Night? by tda720

10. We All Make Mistakes by tda720

11. Caught Up by tda720

12. Old Friends by tda720

13. I'm A Changed Man by tda720

14. Uptight by tda720

15. Fedeltà by tda720

16. But I Couldn't... by tda720

17. Down In Memphis by tda720

18. And Then She's Gone.. by tda720

19. Author's Note by tda720

Characters by tda720
Author's Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

Just thought you'd like to be able to see who i was thinking of for each character. Enjoy, and reviews are really appreciated!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Melania Violano


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Justin Timberlake-Harless and Trace Ayala

 

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dominic Giordano

 

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Larissa Sanchez

 

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gianni Violano

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

 
Giovanni Violano

He Likes the Bartender... by tda720

“Excuse me beautiful.” I turned around looking at the extremely buzzed man that was waiting for me to acknowledge him.

“What can I get for you?”

“First of all you can start with getting me your number and then I’ll get a Smirnoff.” I reached behind me and grabbed a bottle of Smirnoff Ice and handed it to the pig that was gracing me with his presence. He slid 5 bucks across the bar to me and raised his eyebrows as if to tell me if were my turn. Guess again buddy.

“Now can I get your number?”

“Yeah here,” I slid a business card across the bar at him, a business card with Marquee’s number on it, “I’ll be waiting, jackass.” He scoffed and walked away from the bar area and back over to the dance floor. I braced myself for the lame attempts to pick me up that were to come.


Don’t ask me what possessed me to work at this damn place; who actually wants to stare at sweaty bodies gyrating against each other all night? Who in their right mind would actually want to contribute to alcoholism? Well, you might but not I, so I’m not really too sure about why I decided it was time to stop living off of Daddy’s dirty money and get a job as a bartender.

My life is so redundant; every night I got hit on by drunk men (and sometimes drunk women), listened to garbage music that DJ David(pronounced Dah-veed he claims, well all just call him Dave to piss him off though) is ‘feeling’ at the moment, and provided ammunition for late night rendezvous. You may be asking yourself why I just don’t quit if I hate my job so much; if not, oh well then you are now. You see I can’t just up and quit my job because at 23 the only secondary education I’ve had is New England Bartending School (in Boston); college is not for this girl. Living off of my dad’s money for the rest of my life is very tempting, but considering the circumstances I can’t and won’t let him support me until I’m old and wrinkly. It was time to start doing for myself…at least attempting to.

 

“Hola Mami, can I get a Rum and Coke por favor?” Not again, you’d think after a year I’d be used to these lames. I was hoping this guy noticed the obvious eye roll I shot in his direction, but apparently not because he continued to butcher the Spanish language attempting to speak to me.

“Whatever.” I made my way down the bar to the soda gun before grabbing the bottle of Bacardi and pouring a generous amount.

“Gracias. Que es la costa?” Wow, someone needs to head back to Spanish 1.

“The cost? Just because you massacred that I’ll give it to you on the house.” I couldn’t help but to be embarrassed for this asshole.

“So, what’s someone as pretty as you working in a place like this?”

“Living isn’t cheap, work is work.”

“Nice, a woman who provides for herself, I like you already. Cuantos anos tienes? You don’t look a day over 18.” Finally he got something right.

“I’m 23, and you can cut the Spanish bullshit, I’m not Hispanic, and F.Y.I you’re doing a horrible job at speaking it. And if you’re making this small talk to try to get me to go home with you, it’s not going to work.” I turned back to him after mixing a drink for another alchie in the making.

“Do I look like the type to sweet talk girls into coming home with me?”

“You really want me to answer that question?”

"No. Anyways, since we’ve established that I’m getting nowhere near those panties of yours, do you have a name that I can attach to that beautiful face” Not only can he not speak any language other than pig, he couldn’t read either.

“You’re just on a roll today, aren’t you? Give up, please.” I pointed to the name badge that I was wearing and walked down to the opposite end of the bar to attend to male customers that my coworker was ignoring for bitches, pervert.

“Well Lani, I’m Justin. It was nice meeting you.” He walked away from the bar, leaving his phone in the process. I attempted to call out to him but he couldn’t hear me over “Bartender” by T Pain, damn you Dave, now I had to see this lame later. I shot a glare across the room at Dave, who coincidentally did his “point and wink” routine at me (that he clearly choreographed himself). Who hired this freak? Apparently he doesn’t pay attention to detail, because the song clearly said “she gave me a wink”, someone needs to learn his shit if he’s going to try to be Rico Suave and seduce me with his DJing skills (or lack thereof if you ask me).

 

It was definitely the beginning of a long ass night; 4 o’clock couldn’t come fast enough, and it didn’t...

 


Justin

 

 

I was perched against my BMW during the let out when I saw her signature curly burgundy hair with blonde highlights weaving through the crowd; I knew that it was time to make my move.

 

“Excuse me beautiful; I think I accidentally left my phone at the bar. You wouldn’t happen to know where I could go to get it back do you?” Without saying a word she reached into the unusually large purse she was carrying and pulled out my gold and white Sidekick.

“You should be more careful next time.” She started to work her way through the crowd that had formed on the sidewalk and sauntered her way up towards 10th Ave towards West 28th, in the direction of her apartment I assumed.

“Did you plan on taking it home to stalk me?” I followed right after her, I am not a failure.

“Don’t flatter yourself. Maybe you should go back and follow Bimbo Barbie home, you’d get further. Trust me Justin, I’m not one to mess with so I’d quit while you’re behind.” What? Isn’t it quit while you’re ahead?

“I think you have it wrong; it’s quit while you’re ahead.”

“No I have it right. You’re behind, not ahead, so quit. I’m not one of these easy girls that you’re going to penetrate through so get real. I know your type and I’m not interested.” For someone who didn’t want any sort of penetration(somehow I don’t think she was referring to penetrating her in the way I wanted) the look she shot me as she carried her long ass toned legs down the subway steps was saying otherwise. Tease.

 

Walking back to my BMW I made a much needed phone call on my previously ‘forgotten’ Sidekick. Like I said, I’m not a failure and I'm sure as hell not a quitter either; I was getting some that night no matter who it came from. If I couldn’t get through to Lani, I would have to resort to a backup.

 

“I didn’t think you’d be calling me tonight.” What? No hello?

“Yeah well plans change. Listen, I’m on my way over there. Be ready for me Nina; I’ve had a few drinks and I’m loose. You know how much better that makes things.”

“Okay. I’ll see you in a few, the door’s unlocked.” I didn’t even have to say bye before hanging up the phone; she knew the deal, I was gonna get mine.

 

But mark my words, I knew that Lani would be mine; it was only a matter of time until she was putty in my hands.

 

There's No Place Like Home by tda720

Lani


Sometimes I hate the fact that my family is close. I find myself hating my family when I have to wake up at 6 every Sunday morning, meaning I only get an hour of sleep that morning, to take the train back home to Connecticut. I always felt that I should be exempt from Sunday night dinners considering the fact that I work late ‘nights’ on Saturday but my dad doesn’t have sympathy. And besides, if its dinner I don’t really understand why I have to be home by 9 at the latest, but its tradition that the family spends all day Sunday together (if you ask me traditions are made to be broken).

 

Somehow Sunday always comes faster than the rest of the days during the week and again I found myself trudging zombie-like up to Grand Central to hop on a peak hour train home, have I mentioned that I hate crowded train cars? I was fumbling with the keys on my Sidekick as I tried to balance my coffee and my Puma duffle bag when I ran into someone’s hard body nearly knocking my steaming hot coffee all over me.

 

“Well, if it isn’t beautiful Lani.” Ugh.

“Ugh, you again.” Sometimes my brain takes over my body and I say things that I’m thinking; I didn’t mean to ugh him, I swear.

“Damn, good morning to you too. Going somewhere?” He looked down at my duffle bag and then checked me out, way to be obvious about it.

“Home. I’m in a rush. Bye”

“It was nice seeing you again.” He yelled after me as I walked away from him. What the hell was he doing, following me?

“Bye Justin.” I picked my hand up and waved at him.

“Ciao Bella.” How did he know I’m Italian? Seriously did this guy go to stalker school? Not even my uncles could find…well I’ll hold that thought to myself…


“So I told him, don’t fuck with me O’Brien, and then Tony blew his fucking brains out.” I was getting really tired of the monotony of my family’s dinner conversation. For God’s sake I was eating and didn’t want to hear about how my Uncle Sal did in some guy who owed my family a few G’s.

“So Gianni, how’s school going?” I asked my little brother trying to change the topic of discussion until I’ve managed to successfully keep down my antipasto.

“It’s going, two more weeks and its summer, thank god. I’ve got a ton of shit to do this summer to get my portfolio together for applying to art school in the fall. You know Lan; you should really consider going back to school. You’re way too smart to bartend the rest of your life.” I don’t know why I always ask my brother how school is, I’m always getting the college lecture from someone in my family and I never expected my 17 year old brother would be the one dishing it out this week.

“Ugh guys, I’m thinking about taking some business courses at Hunter College during the fall just to get my foot in the door, but it’s only a thought right now so don’t get your hopes up.” My Uncle Tony put down his glass of wine and turned towards me.

“Melania, are you sure you don’t need any extra cash principessa? I really don’t see how you’re making it down in New York working just two days during the week.”

“She sells her goodies on the street late at night. Dad didn’t tell you guys? Those businessmen pay really good money for a good blow job, and from what I’ve heard from people around here, Lani is the best. Fucking whore.”

“Che cazzo stai dicendo? {What the hell are you talking about}” Before I could say anything back to my brother my dad’s booming voice came flooding into the dining room.

“Nothing Daddy, Gianni is being a dickhead as usual. Everything okay? You’re kinda late coming in the house so we started without you.” I stood up and hugged him as he went to take his seat at the head of the table next to me.

“I’ve just been dealing with shit all day long from everyone. Your mother’s lawyer called today and said she’s asking for more money in the settlement and this bastardo Timberlake fucked with the wrong person. I’ve been getting calls all day from people down in the City and in Jersey.” He didn’t need to say anymore, and I’m pretty sure he knew that by the look on my face, I hated hearing about my dad’s business.

“Gio, you should just let me and Tony go down there and handle him like we handled Raul the other day. No body misses that sorry ass motherfucker, Randy won’t be missed either.”

“Calm down Sal, there will be no offing of Randy Timberlake. He’s got a lot of explaining to do before anything drastic happens.”

 

I didn’t really need to hear much more of their conversation, I knew where it was going, and it always went there. I don’t exactly agree with the “club business” my father is in and it was better to remain in the dark about everything so if the time ever came I wouldn’t be able to supply any info to the FEDS when they came knocking. Everyone growing up always asked me what it was my dad did and all I could say what that he owned clubs, even if from the time I was 7 I knew my dad was in some dirty shit. But what person wants everyone to know their father is a mob boss?

It’s an unknown rule within the ‘industry’ that you don’t snitch, even on your worst enemy. Outing your enemies, or anyone else for that matter, gets you killed and left in a ditch where no one will be able to find you; my father and uncles made that clear to Gianni and I early in the game, we were told never to tell anyone the truth about what my family does for a living. It was hard at first thinking about the type of trouble my dad gets into on a daily basis, but by the time middle school came around I had someone to confide it because they were in the same situation as I am.

My roommate and best friend, Larissa Sanchez, knew the type of shit that is on the line because her father and my father are in cahoots with each other. Our families didn’t really get along at first but her father, Uncle Diego as I call him, saved my dad’s ass one time (I don’t really know the details) and our two families have been close ever since. Rae is the only person that I know, other than Gianni, who understands the shit I go through on a daily basis to keep the real Melania Violano hidden because everyday she struggles to do the same thing.

 

Leaving the dinner table, clearly upset, I went outside and took a walk around the grounds of my dad’s house. After walking around and playing with a few of the dogs that we have, I say a few because we have 8 Dobermans, I started to make my way back up towards inside because by then the talk of killing people would probably be over. As I got closer to the front of the property and onto the motor court I heard the iron gates about a ½ mile down the driveway creak open, which only meant one thing; we had company.

I crouched down behind my brother’s $30,000 Altima Coupe (spoiled brat), another thing my dad taught me was that whenever those gates opened up at night be on guard if we were around because there’s no telling who is coming up that driveway. Usually I can recognize the cars that people who my father is associated with drive, but the black SUV that was creeping its way up my driveway I had never seen before. Still crouching behind the cars, I crept over to my dad’s Mercedes McLaren and reached underneath the back bumper for the Glock 17 that’s kept there when it’s not in use.

 

Even though I never got involved with my dad’s business, I’m still pretty bad ass when it comes to shooting a gun, and just by looking at me you definitely wouldn’t be able to tell that I’m fierce. I’ve shot a ton of different guns growing up, but only at target practice that Gianni and I were forced to partake in on Sundays when everyone in ‘the family’ was home. My dad obviously wanted us to stay far away from the family business, but he also wanted us to be ready to throw down incase we were around when shit popped off.

 

Still crouching low I crept my way over to the bushes to get a closer look at who was making their way, quite suspect, up my front steps. My heart was practically pounding out of my chest; I was scared that someone was about to wack my family that was sitting inside, probably fighting over whose better, the Sox or the Yankees, and I was outside to be left unharmed.

“Does Giovanni know we’re coming?” Russians, I think?

“Yes, that bastard knows we’re supposed to be coming. Timberlake fucked us all over, not just him. Something has got to be done about this fucker.” Now that I knew that my father expected those barbarians I tucked the Glock in my pants, clearly visible, and walked back around the cars making it seem like I just came up from the lake down at the edge of the property.

“Can I help you gentlemen?” One of the burly men turned around as he was about to ring the doorbell and drew his gun at me.

“Relax Victor, it’s just Gio’s little girl.” Both of their gazes fell on the piece that was sticking out of my jeans.

“Gio’s little girl is packing some serious shit right now Vaughn.” I looked down with a smirk on my face and patted the gun a few times.

“Can never be too sure when you step out of the house this late. We live on 10 acres of land out here, I’m sure if someone really has in it for Daddy they’ll find their way around the dogs, although I’m not quite sure how. Anyways, I’ll let you gentlemen in, it’s getting chilly outside and you know how the Violanos get down when it comes to being on time,” It’s true, my Dad hates when people are late to meetings, or anything for that matter; he sees it as the ultimate form of disrespect, and I have to admit that he’s rubbed off on me, a lot.

 

“Daddy you have company.” I yelled throughout the house, not really sure of where the men in my family were at the moment. Uncle Tony, Uncle Sal, Daddy, and Gianni made their way into the foyer to greet the Russians almost as if they were trying to intimidate them (not that Gianni’s scrawny 17 year old ass is intimidating to a Russian Mafioso).

“Grazie Principessa. Gianni, Melania, go find something else to do while the grown ups talk.” Gianni grabbed his car keys off of the hook by the door and waved bye to everyone, leaving all eyes stuck on me.

“God, don’t be so obvious that you guys want me gone. I’m gonna take the M6 and head over to Dominic’s or something. I’ve got my phone if you need me.” I kissed my Dad and Uncles on their cheeks and grabbed his keys for that particular car from his hand and followed my brother out of the front door. Before I could close it I heard my name being called.

“Melania!” I poked my head back inside the half closed door to see my father’s stern look.

“Si?”

“Give me that gun. What the hell are you doing with that anyway?” I grabbed the gun from the top of my jeans and placed it in my dad’s open palm.

“Just keeping safe while I took a walk down to the lake. I didn’t know where the dogs are and I didn’t want to risk anything with all that’s going on.”

“Alright. I’ll see you later Bella, and you be safe at Dominic’s; you know how I feel about that boy and you being alone.” I rolled my eyes at him and walked out of the door and saw that Gianni was still sitting in his car on the motor court.

 

“Hey vacca {bitch}. What are you still doing here?” I walked up to the BMW I was taking out and got in then rolled down the windows so I could talk to Gianni.

“You ever wonder what life would be life if Mom stayed and you and Dom stayed together? Do you think you’d be living in the city the way you do? I’d probably have nieces and nephews right?”

“I don’t know about the nieces and nephews Gianni. But where are you coming from with this?”

“We were talking about it after you left the table. Dad was saying how he wishes you would settle down since you’re getting older; he was saying how he was your age when him and Mom married. What if all that shit with them never went down, do you think that Dad wouldn’t be so wrapped up in all this illegal shit?”

“I don’t know Spence.” Immediately after I said that I winced and got out of the car.

“You know how I feel about that name, don’t call me that shit.” I leaned into his window and ran my hand, well attempted to at least, through his unruly curly hair.

“Sorry. Look Gianni, don’t sit back and ask all these ‘what ifs’. Go out and enjoy your life and leave the drama up to Daddy. Fuck Mom okay? We never needed her before, don’t start wondering about her now. And as far as how I’m living, don’t worry. I’m safer where I am and I’m gonna get you out of here too. You know you can always come and stay with me when you get too overwhelmed, and you know Dominic is always willing to let you stay with him at the house. He and I are better off in the relationship we’re in now, I’m happier this way.” I had never seen my brother look that vulnerable and I was really starting to think that the way we lived was starting to get to him, hell it got to me around the same age as well.

“I get it. I’m gonna head into town, I’m meeting a few people at the movies. You wanna come with me?” I glanced down the road at the lake and looked back at him, like I really wanted to hang out with a bunch of 17 year olds. Yeah right.

“Nah, I’m gonna call Dom and see if he wants to just hang out. It’s about time for one of those nights.”

“Yeah just go easy on him Lani, I don’t think he can really handle all that ass you have back there. Remember he’s a white boy.”

“Vacagare {piss off}. Be safe driving okay boy?” I bent down and kissed my brother on the cheek and got into my dad’s black BMW and peeled out of its spot by the front door and sped down the driveway with my brother in tow. What can I say? We Violanos like to make grand entrances, as well as exits. As I turned out of the gates and down the street towards Dominic’s house my Sidekick started to ring “The Jump-off” by Lil Kim and immediately I knew who it was.

 

“Sorry Daddy!”

“That better have not been my brand new fucking car Melania Renee Violano.” I know my dad meant business when he uses my full name. I don't get why he's so picky about his cars (maybe that's because I don't have one).

“That was Gianni, you know me better than that.”

“Bullshit, that boy loves that car more than he loves photography. Be safe in my car please, I don’t know what I’d do if my baby got hurt at such a young age.”

“I promise I won’t fuck around anymore Dad.”

“Good because that car is brand new and expensive to fix.”

“Wow Giovanni. Goodbye, don’t wait up because I'm not coming home after that comment.”

“Wear a condom Lani, I don’t need to be taking care of another child.” I laughed and hung up on my dad, he knew me too well. As soon as I hung up on my dad I dialed a phone number I’ve called practically a million times.

 

“You home cutie?” God damn that boy always had a way to make me melt just by speaking.

“Yeah, I’m on my way over to your house now. Or are you busy?”

“No I just got home from being at the restaurant. I’m just gonna get in the shower but my sister stopped by to grab the last of my mom's stuff, so she'll let you in. Make yourself comfortable down and I’ll see when you I get out.”

“Alright, see you soon Dommy.”

“What’d I tell you about that Melania?”

“That it turns you on when I call you that in bed.”

“I thought we were going to forget I said that.” He laughed, there he goes again making me melt.

“No, you said to forget it. You know I don't forget things."

"You're such a bullshitter..." I cut him off before he could call me out on a lot of things I've forgotten.

"Ciao Dom.” Throwing my phone in the passenger's seat I turned up the radio and sped off down the backroads to begin an interesting night.

Another "Friendly" Encounter by tda720

Justin

 

That Wednesday after I ran into Lani at the train station I had a lunch date with my dad and even though I was swamped with work I was not about to miss something that only comes around every few months. As I got off the elevator that lead into the living room of my father’s penthouse on the Upper West Side I heard my step-mom in the kitchen yelling into the phone.

 

“Hey Jonathan, what’s going on in there?” I glanced over at my 15 year old brother who was vegged out on the couch with his friend Mark playing PS3.

“Who knows? People from Dad’s office have been calling all day looking for him.” He shot me this look hinting to what he was referring to, without outright saying it.

“Great. Where’s Steve?”

“Baseball practice then he’s staying at Peter’s to study for their competition.”

“Alright. Hey Mark, how are you doing?” I acknowledged Jonathan’s best friend before walking into the kitchen to see what was up.

 

“Hey Lisa, what’s going on? Is there a problem?” I kissed her on the cheek and sat down on a stool in the kitchen.

“Is there a problem? Your father’s idiot soldiers went and fucked with everyone and now people are plotting on your dad.”

“Fucked with everyone meaning what?”

“Well for one, a few of his guys went into, unauthorized by him, Giovanni’s clubs throughout Manhattan and Jersey and killed a few of their men, took about 5 grand in drugs and 10 grand in cash. Not to mention those same guys did just about the same thing to the Brodsky’s Laundromats across the Tri-state area.”

“So how is this Dad’s fault?”

“It’s not but these men can’t be found and everyone is looking for your father for answers.”

“So where is he?”

“Who knows Justin? Don’t get involved please, the last thing I need is your mother calling me up from down in Memphis cussing me out because you’re trying to play hero and got hurt. He'll show up eventually, don't try to get in contact with him, please. Shouldn’t you be at work right now anyways?”

“I won’t Lisa. I had a lunch date with Pop, but I guess that’s not happening. Just tell him to call me when you get in touch with him.”

“Okay, and Justin?” She called my name as I was pressing the down button on the elevator.

“Yeah?”

“Why don’t you take Jonathan and Mark out? It’s nice out today, they’ve been playing that thing all morning.” I looked over at the two faces that were now turned on me. I nodded towards the upstairs of the penthouse and the two of them got up and got ready to go out.

 

My father doesn’t really participate in the most legit line of work and it wasn’t unusual that Lisa was walking around nervously because of some shit he’s gotten himself into. I never really got involved with the business; I didn’t really grow up around my father and I didn’t find out that he was in the Mafia until about 6 years ago when we started having a relationship again, I guess that’s why my mom divorced him and moved me down to Memphis when I was only a baby.

If it were up to me my dad would have a normal 9-5 job, but I guess I can’t really complain about the ‘job’ that he has considering it pays for a lot of the shit that I have, starting with the condo on Park Avenue and my BMW. I don’t ask where the money comes from that he gives me; like a good little boy I take it and shut up. I’m lucky to have a father because from the little I get involved with the business, I understand that it’s unusual that mob bosses kids know their father, he’s either dead or too concerned with his family’s well being to be around them.

 

The three of us were making our way around Times Square about to head into ESPN Zone when I heard a familiar voice come from behind me. I quickly turned around and was met with Lani’s out of control curls. Is it possible to be so sexy when you’re so laid back? I looked her up and down and took in her ripped jeans and wife beater, god damn every time I saw her she got even more tempting, I knew at that point that I had to try harder to get to her. But I wasn’t expecting to see her with someone though, because every time we ran into each other she was alone (not that I had seen her very much at that point).

 

“No, I’m serious Rae. Some shit is about to pop off and I don’t want to be around for it to happen. I’m thinking it’s time for vacation somewhere far away from here. Are you down?” She was talking to someone on the phone while holding hands with a tall guy with spiky hair; he was nowhere near as good looking as me though.

“Nothing is going to happen Lani, stop being so dramatic. Get off the phone with her, we’re about to see her in like 10 minutes. Can’t you two wait to discuss family business when I’m gone?” She rolled her eyes playfully at her male friend and continued to talk to whoever was on the other line.

“I know Rae. Daddy means business, you should have seen his face when Victor showed up to the house. I’m surprised Uncle Diego doesn’t know about all of this going on.” Her friend grabbed her phone from her ear with his free hand and told the person on the line bye before hanging it up and placing it inside her shoulder bag.

 

“Ciao bella.” Lani peered at me over her large Chanel sunglasses and rolled her eyes, this time seriously. Her friend looked on with a tight jaw and a scowl on his face. Be scared bitch.

“I’m not Italian, you can stop.”

“Really, because the words tattooed on your wrist say otherwise. Or are you just fascinated with the Italian language?” She glanced down at her exposed wrist and then looked over at her boy band wannabe.


"I’m Dominic.” He held out his right hand for me to shake it. I looked at it for a moment and then decided to just take it and shut up; my mom always told me to kill em’ with kindness. I’d kill him alright, when I took his girl.

“Justin.”

“Are you stalking me? Manhattan is a pretty big place with a lot of people and somehow I’ve been running into you a lot. The jig is up Justin, leave me alone.”

“Don’t flatter yourself Lani. Well, it was nice seeing you but I’ve got to head into lunch with my brother. I’m sure I’ll be seeing you again.” I reached out to hug her, despite the fact she was clinging onto Dominic’s hand.

“Meglio essere invidiati che compiatiti. Am I right?” She stared at me in disbelief as I grabbed Jon and Mark and headed into the restaurant.



“Who was that Jay?” My little brother was fascinated as we sat down at a table. I don’t blame him.

“Just some girl. She’s no one special, you know how I am Jon.”

“Some girl? She was fine as fuck. Who was that guy with her?” I opened up my menu and looked at the options of food.

“I’m assuming her boyfriend. And watch your damn mouth, I don’t want your mom spazzing on me because you’re trying to grow up way too fast."

 

 


Lani

 

 

 

“Who the fuck was that Melania?” I was going to kill him next time I saw him. Who the hell rubs all up on people when they’re with someone?

“Some guy that comes into the bar a lot.”

“Whatever, I'm not going to be mad if you date him or something. How did he know what your tattoo said?” Oh shit, he heard that?

“I'm upset that you would think I'd go for his type. I don’t know how he read it Dominic. Can we save the 21 questions for another time?” I glanced up at him as we stopped at a crosswalk to wait for the light to change. He leaned down (we have a significant height difference) and kissed me lightly on the lips and then smiled.

“Good. You better not be fucking him Lani.” I ignored his comment and crossed the street in the direction of Rae’s job.

 

Dominic isn’t my boyfriend if that’s what you’re wondering. We met when I was in 6th grade and he was in 8th when I bumped into him on my first day of middle school. He was this popular ‘upperclassmen’ and I was this puny little, under developed 12 year old but we became really close after that day once we realized he didn’t live too far from me(how cliché, right?). We started to date when I was in 7th grade and he had just entered high school. Dom was my first everything, he was my first best friend, my first boyfriend, and my first love to name a few.

We stayed together throughout high school and college (for him of course) and then broke up two years earlier when I moved to New York and he moved out to Denver to stay with his mom before she died (she was real sick with cancer). Oh, and you know how I said Rae was the only person who knew about my family? I guess I lied, because Dominic pretty much figured it out back in high school when he came over and saw the abundance of “uncles” that were sitting in the living room discussing things with my dad. He understood that everything was top secret though so it was never really a worry in my family that Dom would rat anyone out. Well, not if he knew what was good for him.

My dad adores Dominic, even if he made smart ass comments about me being alone with him. He knows that I wanted to be with him for the rest of my life but the both of us were at two different places. Daddy always said that he knew from the day I came home and said I made a friend at school that Dominic and I were destined to be together, I wish that were the case because my life would be so much easier right now.


 


“What’s going on with you and Dom?” Rae and I had just gotten back to our apartment from dropping Dominic off at Grand Central when she asked me the infamous Dominic question.

“The usual. Both of us know the other’s feelings but it just won’t work out right now, we’re both at different places in life. You know how it’s always been Rae.” She came into our living room carrying two bottles of Corona and the Chinese food we just picked up. I turned on the Plasma TV that was hung on the wall opposite the couch and started to dig in the food.

“You two just need to get married, have babies, and move in together in that big ass house of his and get that shit over it. I want some god babies, and shit all of us know you’re going to be first to have kids.”

“Are you kidding me Rae? Daddy would kill me if I turned up pregnant without being established, even if it were Dom’s baby.”

Yeah right chica, what have you been smoking? Tio Giovanni loves Dom and wouldn’t care if you guys decided to have some beautiful Giordano offspring, and they would be beautiful because of Dom. And besides, you may not be established right now but Dommy boy is. For fucks sake at only 26 he owns three restaurants and that house his parents left him when they passed. Girl you are loca if you aren’t going to jump on that shit. If you aren’t going to tie that boy down let me. Shit, and I'l turn him out in the process.”

“Shut up Larissa.” Just as she was going to respond our intercom started to buzz.

 

“Oh, I forgot to tell you I was having a few friends over to watch some movies. I hope you don’t mind I know you’re stressing about family shit.” I took a big bite of my egg roll and waved my hand to let her know I didn’t care. She pressed the button to let them into the building and opened the door to wait for them.

 

“Hola chica.” I got up from my spot on the couch and went into the kitchen to put my food away when I heard the familiar busted ass Spanish that I heard a week earlier.

“Melania where the hell did you go?” I came out of the kitchen and met eyes with Justin and a shorter male who were sitting on the couch I just previously occupied. Great

 


Family Secrets Revealed by tda720

Justin

I really wasn’t stalking her, I had no idea the girl that Trace had been talking to recently was Lani’s roommate, Rae. I couldn’t help but laugh at the expression on her face when she saw me.

 

“Lani this is Justin and Trace. Guys this is my roommate Lani.” She smiled weakly and turned out of the living room and made her way down a long hallway before we heard a door slam shut.

“Sorry she’s sort of anti-social today, she’s got a lot going on right now.”

“No problem. So we brought over Inside Man and Wedding Crashers, which one do you want to watch first?” Trace pulled the movies out of a plastic bag and held them out for Rae to look at. She was in deep thought when I broke her trance.

 

“Where’s the bathroom?” She pointed down the hallway Lani had just stormed down and went back to reading the back of one of the movie cases. Completely bypassing the bathroom I walked over to the closed door that was decorated and looked at it for a few minutes.

The last time I saw someone decorate their door was in college, and I had no idea people still did that. Her name was written in large graffiti letters in the middle with pictures and phrases surrounding it. A lot of the pictures looked like a professional took them until I got down towards the bottom of the door where I have to say I was sickened by what I saw. There was a black and white picture of Dominic lying in a bed on his back sleep with a sheet draped over his little friend (and I’m saying little because let’s be real, no one comes in comparison to my junk). It was apparent at that point that they were together, but that was okay in my eyes; I live for challenges.

 

I don’t think Lani had any clue that I was standing outside of her room because when I pushed it open further she didn’t even turn around to see who was there. I was going to say something to her, but I heard her talking on the phone; I may be an arrogant ass, but I know it’s rude to interrupt someone’s phone conversations, my momma taught me better.


“Daddy please be careful. Send Gianni over to Dom’s house for the night, he doesn’t need to be around all of that mess. I’ll text Dom and let him know to expect him when he gets home from the train.” She paused, probably to listen to what her father was saying, while wiping stray tears that were falling. There was a brief pause before she responded to whatever he said.

“I know Daddy, but I’ve been really worried about all of this. I know I don’t usually get involved but something feels off, you know? I’ll let you go though, Rae has friends over and I feel bad because I was just really rude to them. I love you too. Call me when everything is over okay?” She laughed and looked down at the tattoo that wrapped around her wrist.

“I’m the woman of the house, you know it’s my job to worry. I just don’t see why you have to do things this way though.” She paused again, damn her father is a talker.

“Okay, okay. I get it okay Babbo? Meglio essere invidiati che compiatiti, I get it damn. I don’t see how envy is going to change shit though. Envy just makes everyone do stupid shit, it’s just like greed, but whatever. Just call me when you get back home. Make sure Gianni leaves, please. Ti amo.” She hung up her phone and then swung the screen open and started to text message, I’m assuming she was texting Dominic. After she finished texting she placed her phone on her desk and opened her night stand drawer and pulled out a gun and let it rest in her palm for a second before wiping away more tears that had fallen.

 

“Do you always whip out your gun when you have guests?” That proved she didn’t know I was standing there; when I spoke she practically jumped out of her skin.

“Do you always intrude in people’s bedrooms? You are a fucking stalker, I swear to god don’t you ever fucking quit pretty boy?” She wiped her eyes and put the gun back in her drawer underneath everything. The vulnerable girl she was two minutes before that turned back into the cold bitch she had been every time we came in contact with each other.

“I thought I’d come see if you wanted to watch the movie with us, but I see your busy, so I’ll let you be.”

“I’ll be right out. I just need to do a few more things.” I sat down in the loveseat that was by her closet and propped my legs up on the foot stool that was in front of it.

 

“I thought you said you weren’t Italian?”

“People lie.”

“It’s better to be envied than pitied, that has significance?” I could tell that she got tense when I asked that question. Touchy subject I’m assuming.

“My dad always told me and my little brother that growing up. Gianni, my brother, and I got matching tattoos a few months back. I guess it’s a way of showing dedication and loyalty to the family.”

“Just like you Italians to be so dedicated to family. Don’t you get tired of being so involved?”

“You only have one family. I never get tired of mine, they’re my backbone.”

“You don’t look full-blood Italian.”

“You’re very nosey, has anyone ever told you that?” She got up from her bed and sat down at her desk by her window and opened up her laptop. She immediately got onto AIM and started typing away.

“It’s rude to speak to other people while you’re talking to someone else. Hasn’t your mother ever told you that?” There she goes with that tensing up again. What is with this girl?

“My mom’s told me a lot of things, doesn’t mean I listen. How’d you see what my tattoo said anyways?” She closed her computer and swiveled around in her chair to face where I was sitting.

“I’m an architect; I’m a stickler for little details. Just like I noticed that you aren’t a full blood Italian, so you care to enlighten me?”

“My mom is black; Dad’s straight off the boat from Italy.”

“Straight off the boat?” She laughed before answering me.

“Well plane. Came here about 30 years ago when he was 15 with my Nonna and Nonno and my Uncles Tony and Sal.”

“What about your mom? Don’t even roll your eyes at me because I know you’re about to.” All Lani did was blankly stare at me, “I told you I’m a stickler for detail. I’ve noticed every time I ask you a personal question you roll your eyes or play with your wrist.”

“My mom isn’t in the picture, plain and simple. What about you Justin? You’re asking me all these personal questions and I barely know you. Who are you?” I smiled and placed my hands behind my head, she was finally caving.

“Well I’m 26, originally from Memphis Tennessee. I’m an architect that loves southern cooking and his momma. Speaking of my mom, I was raised by her and my grandparents. Not much else to tell really.”

“Where’s your dad?”

“I’ve just gotten close with him in the last few years, he’s around.” Yeah, I just wish I knew where.

“No girlfriend?” I’m guessing I made a face at her comment because she laughed and shook her head.

“I’m not a relationship type. I never have been. What about you? Who’s that NSYNC wannabe you were hanging out with earlier?”

“Good friend from home, basically like family.”

“Do you always hold hands and kiss up on family? I knew you Italians were close, but damn are you that close?”

“We used to date. He understands my life and we’ve known each other since before puberty.”

“So you’re fuck buddies?” Lani got up and walked towards her bedroom door.

“No. Not that it’s any of your damn business, but we’re not. I was with him since I was 12 up until I was 21 so I’d like to think it’s more than that.” She turned off her light while I was still in there and went back into the living room to join Rae and Trace, who I’m sure weren’t really watching the movie. Before following her I got up and walked over to her night stand and opened the drawer she threw the gun into.

I pulled my long sleeved shirt down past my hand and grabbed the barrel of the gun and examined it carefully. After about a minute of looking at it I realized I had seen something similar to it before, but I couldn’t think where. I put the gun back where I took it from and started to walk out of her room when something caught my eye on the wall over her loveseat.

Walking over to the door I saw a bunch of family pictures hung up on the wall to the left of it and looked at them. “No fucking way”, was all that was going through my mind. I may have not known much about the business my dad was in, but I knew enough to know who was in that picture.

But Then I Got High... by tda720
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews! Here's the next chapter, It's pretty slow but it was needed. Review and tell me what you think!

Lani

“Melania when are you going to settle down?” Remember those college lectures I told you about before? Well the whole “starting a family and settling down” lecture is another that comes frequently from my dad.

“When I find someone to settle down with maybe?” My dad and I were grocery shopping (despite his status we still function like a normal family) for dinner that I had volunteered to cook that Sunday.

“I was your age when your mother and I got married. We had already had you too. Don’t you think it’s time to get a real job or at least find someone who’s willing to take care of you?”

“First of all Dad, you and Mom got married at my age and look where you guys are now, separated for 10 years and about to be divorced. So I’ll pass if that’s my forecast for the future. And if I won’t let you take care of me, what makes you thing I’m going to let some guy?”

“Your mom and I weren’t in love anymore Melania, and you know that. I see the way you and Dominic are when that boy comes over, now that’s love. What’s wrong with him?”

“He’s too grown up.”

“Scusi?” We walked down the chip aisle while my dad grabbed anything and everything he could get his hands on; that man has an obsession that really isn’t healthy.

“I’m still trying to live my life Daddy and Dom was forced to grow up when he was only 24, you know? With both of his parents dead and the restaurants his dad left him he’s all established and everything and has these huge ass responsibilities. I’m a bartender for two nights a week and have no college education. He has all of that and more, what the hell does he want with some uneducated don’s daughter? I don’t know if any of that made sense…” That last few lines were whispered, of course, because people in our town are nosey as hell; I guess that’s what happens when you’re old and have nothing better to do with your life.

“Has that polluted Manhattan air gotten to your head? That was the dumbest shit I've ever heard. That boy would drop everything to be with you and you are well aware of that. So tell me again the real reason why you aren’t together?”

“I told you Daddy. He moved to Denver to be with his mom before she died when I moved to New York so we broke up. He and I realized we are at different points in our lives and decided date other people, which I do occasionally, and we’re okay with not being together, I wish everyone else were okay with it.”

“Bullshit. He may date other people but I know for a fact that the only person you see is Larissa, so unless you’re a lesbian...”

“Whatever Dad.”

“I spoke to Diego the other day and I hear Larissa has been hanging around some boy lately?”

“Yeah Trace, he’s pretty cool. He’s always around his friend Justin though, who’s pretty fucking annoying if you ask me.”

“Watch your mouth Melania.”

“Sorry.”

“It’s funny that you should bring up his friend though.” He glanced at me with this strange look on his face.

“What are you talking about Giovanni? And what the hell is that goofy grin on your face for?”

“Do you see this soap; you must want me to use it on you.” He picked up the box of Dove that he had just put into the carriage and shoved it at me.

“I’m grown and the threat of washing my mouth out with soap never scared me before, please you have to do better than that Old Man. And besides, I don’t see how you can tell me to watch my mouth when you swear more than Uncle Tony and Uncle Sal put together.”

“I’m your father; you must forget I do what I want with you. Anyways, Diego tells me that he heard from Larissa that her boyfriend’s friend is pretty interested in you.” Am I being PUNK'D? That asshole was really interested in me and not just trying to see what color panties I wore.

“Well he has no shot.”

“Why not?”

“He just doesn’t Dad. He’s not my type.”

“And who is your type?”

“Dominic Michael Giordano.”

“You’re confusing Melania. I thought you just told me that you don’t want to be with him.”

“I never said I didn’t want to, I said I couldn’t. Get it right old man.”

“Keep calling me old man and I’ll remember it the next time you can’t make rent because of that horrible job you have.”

“Yeah yeah. Whatever old man.”


Justin

“So where’s Lani tonight?” I was thinking it, but Trace beat me to the point. Usually the movie nights at their house involved Rae and Trace cuddled up on one couch (yuck) and Lani and I sitting on opposite sides of the room with her casting death glares at me, do you think she hates me much?

“It’s Monday estupidos, where is she every Monday?” How the hell are we supposed to know that she goes home every…alright let me just shut up.

“Not everyone is up her ass the way Justin is, how am I supposed to know where she is?” Thanks Trace. Fucking midget ass.

“Well Trace, she goes home every Sunday for family dinner with her Dad, Gianni, and her Uncles and she’s usually home by 1 or so tonight, depending on if she stays with Dom. My best bet is that she did, so it’s just the three of us tonight, unless you guys wanna call some more people?” Rae shot a glance in my direction, was she trying to hint something?

“I’m good with just being in your presence Mami Chula, I don’t know about Trace though. Tray, you wanna call that guy you’ve been butt humping?”

“Hardy har har; you’re so hilarious. Don’t be mad because Nina cut your ass off for using her and Lani won’t give you the time of day.”

 

I cannot tell a lie, I was really disappointed that she wasn’t there to send me her icy glares; something about the way she takes the time out of her day to hate me turns me on, real bad.

 

Let’s get on the subject of what I found out a few days earlier; knowing something that she most likely didn’t tell people made me feel empowered (not that I would ever use that to my advantage). Knowing who she really was should have made me stay away yet it only made me want her more. Is that bad of me to want to be with the spawn of my father’s enemy? I knew the danger I was putting myself, as well as my family and Lani, in by even being in her presence but you’ve seen her, can you blame me? I know I said before that I’m not the relationship type, in fact I despise them and don’t see the point, but seeing Trace and Rae happy sorta made me wish that we were doing the whole “best friends dating best friends” business, or at least "best friends fucking best friends". Hey, a guy can dream right?

 

I hadn’t realized that 4 drinks turned into 6 and that I, along with Trace and Rae, was a little inebriated. Rae insisted that we stay over on account of we were too drunk to take the subway, it’s not like we were driving or anything; I think she was using that as an excuse to have drunken sex with that nasty midget. Why was he getting some and I wasn’t? When I heard the door to their apartment open for a strange reason the first thought that came to mind was that we were being attacked by Lani’s family, but then the semi-sober part, which was a very small part, of my brain told me that I was being an idiot.

Getting up off of their comfy ass couch I had fallen asleep on, I made my way into the kitchen where I heard the intruder go to. Who breaks into a house and goes straight for the kitchen? Somehow I had managed to make it there without knocking anything over or making too much noise because once again Lani was startled when I had made a noise; I was beginning to think that she was deaf and needed to see an ENT.

 

“Holy shit.” We both screamed simultaneously as she turned around from being in the fridge with a big ass butcher knife in her hand.

“What the fuck are you doing I could have fucking stabbed you, idiot.”

“What the fuck are you doing drawing knives on people? What is with you and violence, first that fucking gun and now this.” Seriously I had never been so scared in my life; discretely I checked down to make sure I hadn’t pissed my pants because I was pretty sure that I did.

“Because strangers like to lurk around in the dark and kill innocent helpless girls like me.” Something wasn’t right about this picture; the smell in the air seemed to be off.

“Shit, you reek. Are you high?” I reached over the counter behind me and turned on the overhead lights. Lani shielded her eyes with the back of her hand and reached next to me and turned the light back off.

“Your breath is pretty fucking lethal yourself. Are you drunk?”

“I asked you first.”

“I asked you first,” she mimicked, “what the fuck is this, second grade? What does it matter if I’m high, what are you gonna do, call the cops on me, tell my daddy? Go ahead.”

“Hey all I did was ask.

“Why are you here?” Before I could answer a loud ass moan came from the back of the apartment.

“Do I need to answer?”

“Yuck. No. You want something to eat? I’ve got a ton of leftovers from dinner last night.” Munchies? I couldn’t even answer before she threw whatever food was in the container on a dish and popped it in the microwave.

“You gonna be awake for a while?” What was I getting myself into?

“Probably, I’ve got a lot on my mind.” She wasn’t the only one.

“Want to watch a movie or something?” Was that a smile I just saw?

“I need to change, don’t want my reeking clothes to get all over the couch; Larissa will kill me. But you can go set up the movie dickhead and I’ll be there.” She shoved her heaping plate of chicken parmesan at me and ran, literally, back to her room with her hands over her ears mumbling “ew” the whole way there.

When she came back out a few minutes later I had just begun putting in a movie when I heard the couch I was laying on make noise as she settled down.

“There a problem fucker?” I just couldn’t escape the bitchiness, and to think I was beginning to think she was letting up. The only thing I did was stare at her, which is most likely due to the fact that I was still drunk and my speech skills were impaired. Without saying a word I made my way over to the couch and lifted up her legs and sat under them so they were placed on top of my thighs. I was surprised when she got comfortable and didn’t push me away; I made a mental note to bring weed around her more often is that’s what it was gonna take for her to lighten the hell up.

Unwelcomed Visitors by tda720

Lani

 

I woke up a few hours later around 5 that morning in my bed with the comforter draped over me. I really don’t remember much from the night before except for having a really bad time at my Dad’s and then going out on the grounds far away from the house to get high, and then Dom came and took me to the train only to tell me that he was seeing someone, so I went to a friend’s in Brooklyn and got high with her some more; but that’s really all that was clear to me at that time (that seems like a lot huh?). And then I heard the puking coming from the bathroom…

 

“Are you cool in there?” I may despise the boy but being the only female in my big ass family of men I take on the mother role easily when someone is sick.

“Yeah I’m fine, sorry for waking you up. You can go back to bed I’m done.” I heard the toilet flush and the water run for about a minute before Justin came out from the bathroom looking like shit and smelling like toothpaste. At least he was being clean.

“You didn’t wake me up, my circadian rhythm did.” I was always somewhat of a psychology nerd in high school and I’m guessing he wasn’t by the look that he gave me.

“Your what? If that’s some girly problem you can keep it to yourself. I have no food left in my stomach to throw up but I just might.”

“I guess you never took psychology; circadian rhythms are basically your sleep cycle. I’m always up around this time everyday.” Handing him a bottle of Pepto-Bismol I grabbed from the closet next to the bathroom, I laughed at the stupid look etched on his face.

“Interesting…” He grabbed the bottle, chugged a little bit, and walked past me to lay down in the middle of my bed where I had just gotten up from and pulled my black comforter over his head.

“Sure you can just sleep in my bed. It’s fine, I didn’t plan on trying to go back to sleep or anything…” Was he seriously about to take up my bed?

“Thanks.” Within minutes I heard light snoring coming from my bed so I grabbed my laptop from its place on my desk and went and sat at the kitchen table to look up community colleges in the area. It was time that I go back to school, maybe. Before I could even open up Internet Explorer I heard my cell phone ringing from in my room so I ran to pick it up before it woke the asshole up.

 

“Hello?”

“Renee sweetie, it’s Mommy.” She ruined my dinner the night before by showing up, now she was going to ruin my day and it had just barely started.

“Can I help you?”

“I want to apologize for the things I said yesterday at dinner. I know I was out of line and I know I shouldn’t have just dropped by the way I did.”

“It’s not my house to care if you drop by or not. What bothered me is you brought your sweet little family along with you.” My mom left my dad when he started to get deep into the business and went and started a new family with a wealthy ass lawyer from Atlanta and decided she was going to parade her perfect girls around in my face.

“They’re your sisters Renee, you can’t hate them for something they have nothing to do with.”

“They aren’t my sisters, and I can hate them all I fucking want to. Do you mind, it’s early as hell and I really have nothing to say to you.”

“Renee are you going to hate me forever? Your father and I haven’t been together for years and it’s time for the divorce to be finalized, I just want to start over.”

“Don’t you think you’ve already started over a long time ago? And let’s get one thing clear now, my fucking name is Melania, not Renee, get it straight Mommy dearest. And I don’t give a shit about you and Dad not being together, we’re all happier without you actually. Just don’t try to come back into mine and Gianni’s life expecting us to be welcoming of you and your new perfect family.” Maybe I shouldn’t have hung up in her face but she deserved that shit. I hadn’t realized that I had been so loud until Justin was standing in the doorway, still looking like he got run over by an 18-wheeler, repeatedly, followed by Rae and Trace. Did I wake them up? Oops…

 

To say that I hate my mother would be an understatement. She left my father because she claimed he couldn’t give her what she needed, but he loved her to death and anything she wanted he delivered. I still remember the day she came home and told my dad that she was leaving him for someone else, I mean, who wouldn’t remember something like that? I was never really attached to her growing up, Daddy’s Little Girl at heart, but I still loved her; she’s my mom, I was supposed to love her and I did just that until she packed her shit and left.

When she left our family started over; my Dad had the house we live in now built and he spent more time dealing with business in our own home than he did when Tiffany was around. Although my dad spent more time at home he got deeper into the mob shit than he was before, I guess it was a way to deal with my mom leaving. It pisses me off that my mom would wait almost 11 years to sign the divorce papers my dad had been trying to get signed for years; she wasn’t asking for spousal support until she decided to sign the papers so I don’t get why she refused. But now things were different, she had come over to tell my dad that he needed to give her the money she was asking for, or she would out him and all of his operations in court.

As much as I want my dad to lay low with his illegal bullshit, it makes him happy and I wouldn’t be able to cope if he went to jail. That’s why I got so mad at dinner that night and it turned into a screaming match between her and I, while the men in my family tried to break it up. Imagine hearing from the person who birthed you that you’ll never amount to anything, just as she thought. So now you can see why I was hostile towards her when she called.  

 

 

“Is there a problem Lani?” I looked up and saw the three of them staring at me with sleepy eyes. I shook my head no and Justin and Trace turned back around and headed back towards the bedrooms. Rae didn’t believe me though, and being my best friend she shouldn’t have.

 

“Tiffany showed up to dinner threatening Daddy if he didn’t dish out more money for her and the poster children.”

“So you were yelling on the phone at 6 in the morning because?”

“That bitch got my number somehow knowing that I hate her. Her and I got into it when I heard the threats she was throwing at him and she basically called me a cheap whore and told me I was never going to be anything and no one would ever love me. Nice right? This was all in front of Dominic by the way.” Rae’s mouth flew open but closed immediately. She didn’t know what to say, and I can’t blame her, I wouldn’t either if I were her.

“Fuck her Lani. She’s never been a mother to you so you shouldn’t even get all mad about her. No one told her to go and be a puta and sleep around and leave you guys, she chose to.”

“To top it all off, Dom told me he’s seeing one of the bartenders at the Boston restaurant, Susan is her name. Nice right?”

“He must have a thing for girls who sling liquor for a living.”

“Yeah, he must. I can’t even be mad because I’m the one who basically said that we need to see other people. I should have completely broken it off, you know?”

           

If I didn’t want to be with him, why was I beating myself up over everything? Dominic could have his tramp, if he wanted to be one of those people that mixed business with pleasure he could go ahead. What do I care?

If my mom wanted to black mail my dad then I should let her, right? I mean, I am a nobody and won’t ever make something of my life. Maybe I should take her “advice” and get deep into my dad’s businesses, since you know, I do know my way around them.

 

Seriously though, that bottle of Malibu sitting in the back of the fridge never looked so good…


 

Justin

 

“We should aim real low with this fucker. None of this is really your fault to begin with and look at what he did to retaliate. We need to retaliate in a way that will be unsuspecting to him; I’m talking something that will piss him off and make him know we don’t fuck around. You know where to hit him where it hurts Randy?” I walked into my dad’s penthouse and overheard a conversation he was having with one of his soldiers in the kitchen.

“I’m not looking to do any terrible damage. I just want to get him back for that bullshit he pulled a few weeks back. Like you said, I want him to know that he can’t fuck with the Timberlakes and get away with it.”

“He’s got a daughter who lives right here in the city over on East 27th. From what I hear from a few informants she’s Daddy’s Little Girl so I’m thinking if we give her a little message to relay to Daddy…” Lani and Rae live over on East 27th Street… they couldn’t be, my dad can’t be… oh god.

“I knew I hired you for a reason. Do what you have to do to get our point across that we’re not letting this shit slide. Don’t kill her, don’t do anything that will harm her, just scare her a little to get the point across, okay?”

 

 

“Hey Pop.” The two of them look startled when I stepped into view.

“Hey Just. I didn’t hear you come in. What’s going on?”

“Nothing I’m just heading out to meet up with some friends who live over on East 27th but I figured I’d stop by here and see what ya’ll were up to first. Where is everyone?” I could tell by the frown on my dad’s face that he was confused about the comment I had just made. Yea, be scared Dad.

“Lisa and the boys are in the Hamptons for the weekend.”

“Oh cool, well I’m off, I can’t be late or she’ll be pissed at me.” Not that Lani was really expecting to see me, but I’ve heard her say a number of times that her biggest pet peeve is tardiness and I’ve heard her mention that she gets it from the men in her family. If my dad knew anything about her family I’m sure he’d get the hint.

 

So maybe I hadn’t planned on heading over to their apartment before then, but I knew Trace was over there helping the two of them repaint just about the entire apartment (because of the complaining he was doing that morning when I was getting ready for work), and I was praying that Dominic wasn’t there; I can’t be held accountable for the attitude and snide remarks I make when he’s around, I just don’t like that pretty boy.

I don’t know why I was going over there, it wasn’t like I could warn her about the plans my dad had in store; I didn’t know when or where they were going to confront her and I couldn’t just let her know that I knew who she was. I sure as hell couldn’t let her know that my family was in charge of a lot of the problems her family was having at the time either. God damn why can’t I just say no to a sweet piece of ass, not that I would know how sweet her ass is considering she won’t give me the time of day.

 

 

“Ugh, seriously, don’t you have a job that you have to be at?”

“Hello to you too sunshine.” Paint covered jeans and a tank top have never looked so sexy before. I’ve seen her at her worst, this being one of them, but damn she’s never looked better.

“What do you want?”

“I brought food for you guys. Trace told me that ya’ll were painting all day so I figured I’d bring something by before my next project meeting.” I held up a bag of take out and she let me in.

“Ya’ll? This is New York, not Memphis, you hick; drop the accent. Larissa, Trace, Gianni, we’ve got food, ya’ll could stop painting for a while.” Who the fuck is Gianni? And what happened to Dominic? Oh yeah…her brother.

 

 

“So I have this friend who knows something important that he should tell someone, but he can’t tell because it’ll get him in a lot of trouble. He’s been asking me what he should do and I can’t figure out what advice to give him, what do you guys think?” We were sitting on the floor of the living room eating when I asked that random ass question. The four of them just looked at me with weird looks on their faces and continued eating.

“Excuse me? Did you break into my weed stash when you stayed here?” All heads turned to Lani as she bit into her sub.

“You have a weed stash? And you couldn’t tell your little brother, what kind of sister are you?”

“Weed stash Lani?” I’m guessing from the tone in her voice Rae was against recreational drugs other than alcohol.

“I was kidding, damn. Anyways, your friend is being selfish. What grade is he in, fifth? Who the hell are they gonna get in trouble by, his Daddy?” At that point the intercom buzzed so she got up and let whoever it was in while the conversation was dropped and a new one was started until we were all startled by the hard pounding on the door. Gianni got up from his place on the floor to answer while the rest of us just sat back and listened to Lani talk about how selfish I was being. Seriously I can’t catch a break from her; why am I so intent on getting her to like me?

 

“Is there a Melania Violano here?” We heard a deep booming voice coming from the door.

“Yeah, who the hell are you?” Apparently being snobby runs in their family. Who greets people at your door that way?

“It doesn’t matter, just let me speak to her kid. Trust me you don’t want this to get ugly.” At that point Rae and Lani shot each other worried looks and got up to see who was at the door pushing Gianni back into the living room with Trace and I; I was trying to listen to whatever he was mumbling under his breath as he took his seat until I realized he was ranting in Italian. I hadn’t realized that the two had stepped out of the apartment with whoever was at the door until the door slammed shut and Lani ran past us with a pissed look on her face and with what looked like tears streaming down her cheeks.

 

“What’s going on baby?” Rae sat down next to Trace with the same pissed off look on her face. My dad couldn’t have acted that fast on Lani, could he?

“Nothing.” She took out her cell phone and dialed numbers then started to yell in Spanish to whoever was on the other end. What the hell is with these people and not speaking in English? I guess I was going to have to find out what happened the hard way, going in to talk to Lani myself. Trust me, I knew I was about to die and as I walked down the hall to her room I was picking out what I wanted to be on my gravestone:‘Here lies Justin Randall Timberlake-Harless. Loving son, brother, and a big fucking sucker for exotic pussy’

What do you think?

 

 

Positive Changes by tda720
Author's Notes:
here's another chapter i had finished already, hope you enjoy!!

Lani

 

“I don’t know what the fuck is going on Carmine but you have people coming up in my fucking house threatening me. Fuck that, you know I want nothing to fucking do with this shit and you know Daddy doesn’t want me involved, so how the fuck do these assholes know where I live? Do you know how Daddy would feel about this shit if he found out what the hell just happened?”

“Calm down Melania. No one knows of anything that you’re fucking yelling about. Can you stop swearing for like two seconds and speak in a civil manner to me please and tell me what happened? I’m not the one who did this shit so what’s all the yelling and swearing for?” How the hell can you ask someone to be civil after their life was just threatened?

“Some big meat head came to my apartment and forced Gianni to bring me to the door. Larissa and I went over there because we heard him say some pretty rough shit to him, and you know I don’t play when it comes to Gianni. Anyways, we went over there and he asked us to step outside and close the door so we did. And then this sorry motherfucker backs me up into the wall with his big ass hands around my throat and tells me that I better tell Daddy and his boys that ‘you know who’ is coming for him and to look out. I mean who the fuck does he think I am, Harry Potter? Am I supposed to be scared of ‘you know who’, whoever the fuck that may be? Rae tried to say something to him but he backhanded her and told her to shut the fuck up. Then he proceeded to tell me that if Daddy doesn’t get the message that he’ll come back for me and he’ll make sure personally that I can never deliver messages again.” There was silence on the other end while the Consigliere, my dad’s advisor, thought about what was going on.

“Listen, I’ll see what I can do to figure out who this was. Don’t say anything to your dad yet until I get this straightened out; I think I have an idea of who’s behind this. Do me a favor though sweetie?”

“What is it?” I hoped he sensed my attitude. Sweetie? Don’t fucking call me sweetie when I’ve just been threatened like it’s supposed to calm me down and make everything better, I’m not three years old anymore and that doesn’t solve things.

“If you leave the house make sure you’re with someone else, don’t go anywhere alone if you don’t have to.”

“Whatever.” I wasn’t really happy with Carmine at that point and I’m guessing he figured it out by me hanging up in his face. I’m 23, not 5, and I don’t need a babysitter to bring with me everywhere.

 

I honestly couldn’t believe that happened. I’ve never been so scared in my life between you and me, and I’ve been in some pretty compromising situations growing up. I couldn’t do anything but sit on my bed and cry after I had hung up on Carmine; I knew things were getting pretty serious in my dad’s life if people were showing up at my doorstep trying to relay a message through me and I couldn’t fathom the fact that I really had no choice but to get involved.

           

I was hoping that the loud music I turned on in my room drowned out the sounds of my sobbing and yelling into the phone, but I was wrong. Of course the asshole himself had to come and try to woo me over and see if I was okay, I was beginning to see a trend with him, being around when he was unwanted, like a fucking fly bothering the hell out of you on a hot summer day.

 

“Hey you cool? Gianni wanted me to come and check.”

“Why didn’t he come in himself then?”

“He said that you’d probably just tell him to get the fuck out like you always do when you’re mad. I volunteered because it’s not like you haven’t said some harsh words to be in the past; my skin is like leather, I can take the abuse.” He sat down on my bed next to where I was laying and sighed loudly.

“I’m fine and don’t need you to run to my rescue all the time.”

“I’m not running to your rescue, simply seeing if everything is cool. I noticed that your pictures are off of your door…”

“And?”

“Is there a reason for that?”

“I’m obsessed with change, and it was time for one which is why we decided to paint and whatnot.”

“Well since you’re changing everything how about changing your attitude towards me. I mean, I haven’t really given you any reason to hate me. I’ve proven to be a pretty legit person.”

“I don’t hate you, I just don’t like your type.”

“My type?”

“Yeah, you know the cocky ‘I can have any piece of ass I want’ type. I work at a club Justin, I can spot your type a mile away.”

“That is far from how I am Lani. You won’t even give me the time of day to realize that.”

“Whatever.” Maybe he was right, okay?

“Seriously, let me take you out tonight. I’ll swing by here after work and we can go anywhere you want to go. You seem like you need a night out.”

“My little brother is here.”

“He can chill with Trace. Come on, you said you’re obsessed with change, so take a step in a new direction.”

“Fine.” I could hear the smile in his voice as he told me he was going to get to his meeting. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into, and personally I was afraid. I hadn’t really let anyone in since Dominic, and now that he was moving on with his life I guess it was time for me to move on as well (not that I was trying to move on with Justin).

 


Justin

 

Right after work that day I rushed over to their apartment to pick her up. When I got there she had changed out of her paint covered clothes and showered and put on a pair of white washed jeans, a dressy green and black top, and black stilettos. After saying bye to Rae, Trace, and Gianni (who were all smiling a little too much at the sight of us dressed up and going out together) we made our way to the 4, apparently she has a ‘thing’ for food at Lobo over in Brooklyn and forced me to take the subway over there when all I figured she’d want to do was head over to the Village and catch a bite there. Silly me.

 

“Why are you so bitchy?” Maybe that wasn’t the best thing to ask someone who’s trying hard to be civil, but hey, a guy can wonder right?

“Way to be blunt.” Lani peered over her menu at me. Was that a smile I saw?

“Sorry, I just don’t get where all of this came from. Clearly it’s not a family thing, Gianni is probably one of the most laid back people ever, and he’s only 17.” Putting the menu down and taking a sip of her margarita she stared at me for a minute before answering.

“I’ve just been screwed over a lot. I learned at a young age that I need to put my guard up to newcomers. It’s not a big deal really, the people who can’t handle it don’t stick around, which proves that they weren’t worth my time in the first place.”

“So you’ve scared off a lot of people?”

“I wouldn’t say scared off. I’ve weeded the good and the bad people out, give or take a few. Growing up in the family dynamics I did and the town that I lived in it only made this method of choosing friends better.”

“Family dynamics?” She seemed to tense up at that question, I could tell because once again she played with her tattoo covered wrist. I quickly mumbled ‘sorry’ before she waved her hand to say it was alright. I guess she forgot that I picked up on her nervous habit.

“My dad was always gone away on business trips and my mom was out of the picture by the time I was 12 so I was left with Uncles and Dominic’s family a lot.”

“Is that why you stay so attached to him?” There she goes with the wrist again.

“Who Dominic?” I nodded.

“You ever been in love Justin?” Again I nodded and gulped down the soda that was sitting in front of me. Love is a touchy subject with me, but she didn’t know that.

“That’s why I’m so attached to him, he was my first love, like I’ve told you before. You can’t always be with the person you want to be with and I’m learning to let go.”

“He found someone else didn’t he? He got tired of waiting around for you to grow up and he found someone else.”

“Uhh…”

“Don’t worry, I’m not prying into your life. The same shit happened to me, why do you think I don’t do relationships?”

“Wow.”

“Dumfounded. I know. We were just like you two, and then bam, she was telling me that she couldn’t wait for me and she’s dating other people.”

“Sucks right?”

“Sure as hell does.”

 

For the rest of dinner it seemed like she opened up to me, until I brought up what had happened earlier in the day. As soon as I asked what it was about, like I had no idea, she tensed up and changed the subject to my work, dismissing the event as nothing. Now that I think about it, I’m wondering why I was trying to pry whatever happened out of her; I knew she couldn’t tell me about her family so I don’t really get why I was asking so much.

In a way that night out let Lani know that I wasn’t one of those people that she needed to weed out of her life, despite the shit that I knew about her family I still wanted to be in her life (in a more serious way than I wanted her when I had first met her). I guess I figured that she would always be a bitch, and that there was nothing else to her. I was wrong though, I learned that night that she was anything but the bitch that she pretended to be. And to be honest, I was starting to like her, a lot. Oh god this was going to get real ugly…

End Notes:
dont forget to review!
Stay The Night? by tda720
Author's Notes:
here's another chapter! enjoy and review!

Lani

Call me crazy, but I was happy that I was vulnerable that day and let Justin take me out to dinner; I truly had fun with him and it was nice to hang around someone other than Rae or Gianni for once. I don’t know what possessed me to invite Justin home for dinner a few weeks after we first went out, but I did, and here we are, sitting at the dinner table surrounded by Daddy, Gianni, Uncle Sal, Uncle Tony, Carmine, and my Nonno (who coincidentally happened to be in the country the day I decided to bring someone other than Dom home).

 

“So James, what is it that you do?” I don’t know how many times I had to tell Nonno that his name wasn’t James.

“I’m an architect.”

“Nonno, his name is Justin, not James.”

“I said that Melania. Giovanni you need to get this girl a hearing aid. I think living in that big city with all those loud noises has damaged her eardrums.” None of us at the table could hold in the laughter any longer, and he had no idea why everyone was laughing which was fine by him. Senile old ass man.

“You look very familiar Justin, where’d you say you were from again?”

“Memphis, Tennessee.”

“Have we met before?” I looked over at Carmine who was being strangely talkative that night, and I say that because he usually mumbles one or two words throughout dinner only if he’s spoken to first.

“I don’t believe so, sir. Unless I’ve designed any buildings for you I don’t think we’ve met.” I wish they would stop questioning him like he was my boyfriend. The only reason why I invited him home was because both Rae and Trace were in Rhode Island for a week and I felt bad that he was going to be staying in that big ass condo of theirs alone without eating healthy because let’s face it, he’s a guy and guys have sucky ass eating habits. Yes, the Italian in me kicked in; I was always worrying about whether or not someone had good (and enough) food to eat.

The rest of dinner was pretty much the same. I should bring guests home more often because for the first time in years there was no talk of whacking people and the visuals that my uncles had to share were forgotten the moment they saw me walking in with Justin in tow. I should have known better than to think that the night was going to go smoothly when Justin and I were packing up his car with some of the stuff from my room to bring back (my dad had finally given in that one night and let me go home so Justin didn’t have to stay there) to my apartment when I saw the gate open down the driveway and heard the familiar bass of Dominic’s white Range Rover make its way up to where I was standing. Great.

 

“Hey Lan.” He turned down the music and poked his head out of the window. I could tell that he had people in the car with him, and I noticed the bottle blonde sitting in the passenger’s seat with a scowl on her face, aimed directly at me.

“Yeah?” I hadn’t seen him since the night that he told me he was seeing her.

“You moving without telling me babe?” I rolled my eyes at him as I saw Justin carrying a box of shit that I was bring home back into the house, apparently unnoticed by Dominic.

“Not quite Dad’s letting me go back home since he’s flying out to Italy tomorrow morning. Nonno’s been in town for the past week.” His blue eyes lit up at the mention of my grandfather.

“Shit and you didn’t tell me? How’s he been?” I could hear the people in his car make comments along the lines of they wanted to get back to his place.

“We haven’t really spoken and it looks like you’ve been busy. You should go before they get angry.” No matter how hard I tried to be the bitch I used to be with Justin I couldn’t, not after everything Dominic and I had been through.

“It’s cool. We’re on our way home from the restaurant and I wanted to stop by to see if you wanted to come over and chill for a while with us since I saw you out here alone.” Susan shot him a dirty look and turned around to talk to the people in the back seat.

“Nah, I’m cool. I’ve gotta get going back home anyways. We changed around the apartment and I wanna get it finished before Rae gets home in a few days.”

“When’d your dad get a new Beamer?”

“He didn’t.”

“Did you get a car? Damn I thought I’d never see the day. I thought you hated driving Lani…” I cut him off before he could go on.

“I didn’t get a car, and I still hate driving. It’s Justin’s car, you know Trace’s friend. He came with me to help me bring shit home since Rae and Trace are out of town and Gianni won’t drive his car in the city.” At that point Justin came out of the house with the last of the stuff I was bringing back and put it in the last vacant space left in the trunk.

 

“I didn’t know you guys were dating.”

“We’re not. Listen, Dom, we should get going. Thanks for the invite, maybe when I come home next weekend me and you can get together like old times.”

“Yeah, I’ll be down there on Friday, maybe we can have dinner?”

“I’d like that a lot, just give me a call.” I got into the passengers seat as Justin turned on the car and watched Dom turn around and head out of the driveway as we followed.

 

 

“I thought you were moving on?”

“So now I’m not allowed to be friends with him father?” I turned on the CD player and blasted the Kanye West song that was playing on the CD in the player.

“I didn’t say that. But you said ‘like old times’ and from what I’ve heard from Larissa old times meant movies at his house and hardcore fucking afterwards.” I was going to kill that silly little Cuban girl when she got back from vacation with her boyfriend. How dare she tell someone who has no right knowing my sexual encounters with someone I was with for 11 years? Bitch.

“It’ll be cool, don’t worry Daddy.” He smirked and me and took his left hand off of the wheel and leaned closer to his window while slouching down in his seat. God damn is it possible for someone to look sexy while their driving? I couldn’t believe my thoughts at that point. I had always noticed that he was good looking, but I had never been alone in such close proximity with him before to notice just how good looking he was. All of the attraction didn’t change the fact that he was an asshole though; he was still cocky ass Justin Harless, the hick boy living in the Big Apple, and I wasn’t impressed.


Justin

 

The 21(00) questions from her family had to have been the most nerve wrecking thing of my life. When that Carmine guy, I don’t even know his purpose of being there, mentioned that I looked familiar I almost shit my pants. Anyone who knows Randy Timberlake knows that when we stand next to each other I’m a dead giveaway for his son, so it wouldn’t have shocked me if they figured it out the minute I stepped foot into the huge ass house they lived in.

Other than the fact that the men in her family participate in racketeering, drug selling, and murdering (although I’m sure they have people lower on the ladder handle that type of dirty work) they were a normal family; I guess I expected her dad to be sitting at the head of the table wearing an expensive Gucci suit stroking a white cat in front of him with big ass men all around him holding guns when I first arrived so when he came into the entry way to greet us decked out in a Purple Label polo and black pants I was taken back (not that Purple Label is that much cheaper than Gucci). I mean, you can’t blame me because the Italian mafia is a lot different than the Russian or Irish mafia; how was I supposed to know that they acted like a normal family?

 

I have to say that walking out of the house and seeing Lani talking to Dominic got me a little heated; she was supposed to be ‘letting go’ and here she was making plans with him for when he went into the city for ‘business’. I can’t really get mad because we sure as hell weren’t an item but I had faith in her that she was going to get over him to a point where she’d date other people; during one of our civil discussions she told me that she had a hard time letting someone else in when Dominic wasn’t out yet.

Rae and Trace being gone had to have been one of the slowest, yet most eventful weeks that I had in a long time. I was busy working on a big design at work so I was constantly working late nights and then either heading over to Lani’s apartment where she wined and dined me (she claims that she couldn’t live with herself knowing that I ate fattening takeout every night, bullshit) or working until all hours of night and having the luxury of her bringing me dinner right to the office. My coworkers got a kick out of that, making comments when she’d leave like ‘damn Harless, you’ve really outdone yourself this time’ or ‘where’d you find that beautiful piece of ass at’ or even ‘when you’re done with her, hand her over to me. I need a bed that needs broken in’. Hearing the shit come out of their mouths makes it hard to believe that I say things like that about girls, well that I said things about Lani at least. I have to admit that hearing them talk about how they’d ‘hit that’ pissed me off pretty bad and made me want to knock every one of them out, when the fuck did I become so sappy and defensive about bitches that I didn’t date? Man up Harless, man the fuck up.

 

“How come you weren’t nervous at dinner tonight?” It was almost midnight and we had just finished putting the majority of the furniture in her apartment back in its place when we got a chance to relax and lay back in the newly brown painted living room. Have I ever mentioned that I hate the smell of fresh paint?

“What was there to be nervous about?”

“Most people are intimidated when it comes to my family. I’m surprised they were so receptive towards you, usually my uncles are assholes towards guys.”

“Well we’re just friends, so it’s not like I had to really make that big of an impression on them. They’re all cool anyway.”

“True.”

“Hey I should really get going on though. I have to start a new project tomorrow so I should try to get at least a few hours of sleep. Thanks for inviting me to dinner, call me if you need anything alright?”

“You can stay here if you want.” Pardon moi?

“What?” I stopped mid-walk when she said that and turned to look at her.

“It’s getting kinda late and you drove a lot today, I wouldn’t mind if you stayed here. It’s okay though, I know you don’t have a suit or anything here.”

“Is someone lonely?” She laughed and ran her hand through her now straight hair.

“Maybe a little; Rae’s never been gone for a prolonged period of time and it gets lonely without her loud ass here bossing me around.”

“I’ll let you in on a little secret, it’s been lonely without the garden gnome too. So I’ll stay, but only if you promise that you won’t try to do me in my sleep.” God damn I love her laugh, it’s so contagious. I guess not hearing it for a long time on account of her bitchiness makes me like it even more.

“I think I can keep that promise. Where would you like to sleep?” I didn’t think I had an option…

“The couch is fine. I just need a blanket.”

“You can sleep in Rae’s room if you want.” I couldn’t hide the face that I made.

“And soak in their sex juices? No thanks, I’d rather sleep in the bathtub.”

“I think they even bone in there…” We both laughed as she dragged me back to her room to grab a comforter and pillows for me.

“That is nasty, how do you live in this house when they’re in her room?”

“I usually leave.” I watched her bend over in her closet and grab and down comforter and couldn’t help but lay back on her bed and watch the sight in front of me. I’m a guy, what can I say.

 

“What is with you and making yourself comfortable in my bed?”

“Sorry this California King is the shit, and you know it.”

“Yeah I do know it.” She settled in next to me and turned on the TV and DVD player that was opposite of her bed. I didn’t even bother to ask what movie she put in; she had mentioned earlier in the week that she frequently watches RENT to fall asleep. Sure enough ‘Seasons of Love’ started to flood the room and she was already drifting; I knew where I wasn’t sleeping that night and it was away from her.
We All Make Mistakes by tda720

Lani

I woke up in the middle of the night, well morning, at around 3 and saw that the menu screen for RENT was on and Justin was lying on his stomach, peacefully, fast asleep, I guess I was more tired than I thought because I usually make it to the scene where Angel first comes in as a Drag Queen… Damn. I climbed out of bed and trekked my way into the kitchen lazily to grab a drink when I heard a noise behind me that made me turn around, dropping the cup of iced tea I had just poured.

 

“Who the fuck are you?” I couldn’t make out who was sitting at the kitchen table but it initially looked like the asshole from my door the other day.

“How come your dad hasn’t called me Melania?”

“Do I look like I get involved with the shit my dad does? I’m sure you have someone’s number to get in contact with him, pick up the phone. Wait, you look like a dumb one, let me do it for you.” I reached for the cordless phone hanging on the wall next to me when I felt him hovering over me.

“Stop trying to play some tough bitch. I will tear you apart little girl, don’t get it twisted. I told you to tell your father and apparently you didn’t so now you’re going to have to pay.” He grabbed a fistful of my hair before I could reach for Rae’s gun that I knew she kept behind the refrigerator. I completely forgot Justin was in the house until he yanked hard on the hair he was holding and I screamed out in terror when he started to grope all over me.

 

“Let her go.” The both of us turned from fighting against each other to look towards the doorway at Justin, who just happened to have my Glock at eye level with himself. If it weren’t for the fact that I thought I was about to die I would have let him know how fucking sexy he looked, but there was no time for that.

The both of them exchanged weird glances before the mystery dickhead let g of my hair and glared at me.

“Tell Gio I’m looking for him this time bitch.” He whispered and then looked towards Justin who still held the gun in position and aimed it at him as he stomped his way out of the apartment. As soon as I heard the door slam shut I broke down where I was standing and bawled like I was 7 and just saw my dog get hit by a car.

 

“Are you okay?” I heard the gun make contact with the table as he ran over lock the door and make his way back over to me.

“Just a little shook up, I’ll be fine.”

“Who the fuck was that and what the hell did you do to piss him off?” He picked me up and carried me back to my bedroom and tucked me in bed before getting in after. I’m a horrible liar, so I don’t know how I managed to weasel my way out of answering his question; I just stared at the TV with the tears still flowing not saying a word and he let it go. I had never imagined Justin to be the sympathetic type, but I was proven wrong when he left my room and came back with a glass of water, Tylenol, and a warm wash cloth to wipe my tear stained face with.

 

“You should sleep Justin, you have to work in a few hours.”

“It’s alright, I can just work from here.”

“Here?”

“Do you think I’m leaving you after that shit just happened. You should really call the cops Lani. What if that asshole decides to come back when you’re home alone? How did he get in anyway?”

“I forgot to lock the door when we came back from my dad’s. It’s fine, really.” I wish that were true; I wish I knew for sure that everything was okay…

 

That day, and many days after, Justin spent the majority of the day in his makeshift office that he set up in the living room working on a rough draft of a building design while I did some last minute finishing touches around the apartment. Overall it was a pretty peaceful day despite what had happened during the night and we got along well and I was kept together. But at around 2 that afternoon I was getting my ‘Passions’ fix in the living room while Justin worked next to me when my cell phone started ringing.

 

“Ciao.”

“Melania it’s Daddy.”

“Hey what’s going on Babbo?” He couldn’t have landed in Italy yet so why was he calling me?

“I got a phone call early this morning when I was on my way to JFK from Mrs. Esposito…” God damn why did my dad have to know people everywhere I went. While the whole fiasco was going down I forgot that my dad’s good friend lived next door and most likely heard everything that went on, right down to me crying my eyes out while Justin pretty much rocked me back to sleep.

“And?”

“What happened last night Melania? She called me a week or two ago and said she saw a man with his hands around your throat out in the hallway and I figured I’d give you time to tell me but I’ve heard nothing about it. And then at 5 in the morning I get a call from her saying she heard a lot of screaming coming from next door and then she heard you crying all night. I’ve given you enough time to spill, now tell me what the hell is going on.” I looked at Justin who was staring intensely at the drafting he was doing before getting up and walking out onto the fire escape and closing the window behind me. I told my dad everything that happened in those two days, right down to me calling Carmine and telling him what happened. If it were anyone else that I spoke to I wouldn’t have ratted them out, but my dad trusted Carmine and he knew that there was a good reason for not telling him, the reason being the second I took a breath from telling everything my dad was irate. I’ve heard him say some pretty vulgar things that he plans on doing to people who fuck with him, but I’ve never heard him get that bad before.

 

“Dad I have to go, I have company.” This calmed him down and I could imagine his ears perking up like one of the dog’s that we have.

“Did Justin stay the night?”

“Not that it’s any of your business yes, he did.”

“Ah, so he was the other male voice she heard in your apartment. Well he doesn’t know anything right?”

“Si, he’s clueless. Hey shouldn’t you be on a plane now?”

“I sent Nonno back with Uncle Tony instead. I’ve got some investigating to get into. Listen I gotta go, Gianni and I were going to go play a game of golf. Be careful Melania and do me a favor and only leave that apartment when you have to.”

“You got it, and tell your nosy ass friend to mind her damn business once in a while.” I was hoping he couldn’t hear the eye roll and sarcasm in my voice.

“I’m going to ignore that vulgar language coming from your mouth. Ti amo principessa.”

“Oh yeah right, don’t think I didn’t hear you mumbling all that crazy shit under your breath before Daddy. Ti amo Babbo, tell my boy I say hey.”

 

I knew at that point things were about to get complicated. For some reason I was beginning to actually like the idea of Justin being around, but I was missing the fact that I hadn’t really spoken to Dom in weeks (when I was so used to speaking to him everyday). Not only were things about to get complicated in my love life (or lack thereof), I knew that shit was about to hit in the fan in the secret world my dad lived in; you don’t fuck with someone’s kid when you have a problem with them, that’s a big no-no in the mafia world. Whoever was behind the stunt that was pulled was about to be in for a rude awakening and I didn’t want to be around when that happened.


Justin

I was livid at the fact that my dad had my Uncle Connor just barge into her house like that and man handle her in the way he did; yeah that’s right, the guy who basically broke into Lani’s house and attempted to make an example out of her was my Uncle Connor. I was hoping that she didn’t noticed the looks we exchanged when I first got to the kitchen, I had no idea that my dad was being so serious about using her as bait. The moment I could get away from my designs and make sure that Lani was cool to be alone for an hour or two I drove my ass over to 5th Ave where my dad lived and stormed up to the penthouse.

 

“Justin, just the man I was looking for.” My dad stood up to pull me in a hug but I pushed him away and shot daggers with my eyes over at his men who sat in the corner.

“Don’t touch me.”

“Uncle Connor here tells me that he walked in on you and a lady friend the other night. How come we weren’t aware that you were dating again Jay?”

“Didn’t think it was important, and I’m not dating her.”

“So you just walk around with barely any clothes on at random girl’s houses?” How the hell did he know I was barely dressed? Again I looked over at the idiots in the corner and gave my uncle the finger; I never liked him anyway.

“Number one, who the hell sleeps with all of their clothes on and number two why the fuck was he even there?”

“Listen son, I know you’re probably happy with Melania and everything, I don’t doubt that she’s treating you right, but you shouldn’t get anywhere near this; don’t get involved with her right now Justin.”

“Do you know what he was doing to her when I walked in there?” My dad just stared and didn’t say a word. “From what it looked like from where I was standing it looked like your brother was about to try to rape her, I mean with the way his dirty hands were all over her body and whatnot. Was I supposed to let that shit happen just because you and her father don’t get along? Get real Dad, that’s a 23 year old girl, not woman, you guys are scaring shitless all because your idiot goons fucked with her father’s business first. Call me when you get a grip.” And with that I left the penthouse without saying anything else to anyone in the house.

 

 

For the first time in a few days I went back to my condo to just relax while I knew Lani was calm; I still had an hour until I told her I would be back so I cleaned up a bit and laid in my own bed. Just as I was dozing off I heard Trace’s annoying ass whistling fill our silent abode so I got up out of bed and made my way down the stairs and into the entry way.

 

“What the hell happened to you?” The good thing about best friends is that they’ll always tell you when you look like shit.

“It’s been a rough week man. I’ve gotten like 10 hours of sleep, tops, in the past 4 nights.” We both sat down on opposite couches while we talked.

“What happened?”

“Just some shit with Lani so I’ve been staying there. Someone broke in there the other night after we had gotten back from dinner at her dad’s and I walked in on him roughing her up a bit. She’s basically not leaving their apartment and if she does she won’t go alone. And I’ve been working out of their house getting my drafts done for that new hotel project down in DC I got assigned to. I’m supposed to be back there in a little while but if Rae’s home I’ll just get my shit later.”

“Wait, someone broke in there? Who was it, did you guys call the cops?”

“Yeah everything is cool now.”

“And dude, Rae’s not there, I dropped her off at the train station on my way back here. But when we swung by her apartment so she could bring all of her bags up she mentioned that Dominic’s truck was parked out front.” It was definitely only…oh shit I hadn’t even realized it was Friday.

“Well then I should be getting over there to pick up my shit then.”

“Someone’s a little jealous.”

“Me? What is there to be jealous of, Lani and I are only friends.”

“Yeah but you want to hit that. We’ve been friends since diapers Justin, I know when you want someone, and you my friend want Lani.”

“Whatever.”

 

 

 

So maybe I did want her, and if Trace knew it maybe it was obvious to her too…I did end up going over to her apartment to pick up my stuff and Dominic was there when I walked in, holding her as she cried to him.

 

“Hey Justin.” I heard her sob as I walked through the door.

“Hey, I’m just here to get my stuff.” I looked over at Dominic and forced a smile and then looked down at Lani who was lying with her head on his chest.

“You’re leaving?” I don’t see why it was a big deal if I were leaving or not, she had company.

“Yeah, I got called into my office. A deal fell through with one of my colleagues and I need to go handle damage control with my boss. I’ll bring you to work later if you still want me to.”

“Thanks. I’ll give you a call in a little while.”

“Alright, you two have fun.” And with that I walked out of her apartment. I shouldn’t have cared that he was there; I shouldn’t have cared that I just had the best week of my life with this girl and now I was nothing the second Dominic came around, but I did.

 

I guess I should have known that the only reason why she needed me for comfort is because no one else was really around. Yeah, I should have known better but I didn’t. Maybe my dad was right, maybe I shouldn’t even try to get involved with her. I know how hard it is to let someone you love go, and if she was anything like me I knew that it would be a while before she attempted to start over. Maybe I should have stayed that arrogant ‘player’ type around her because then maybe I wouldn’t have been so foolish to let my guard down and let her be the first person since Jocelyn to get to me. When I left her apartment I knew that I had made a mistake in getting somewhat close to her and I was ready to deal with my stupidity later that night; a guy’s night out was very overdue and I needed one, badly.
Caught Up by tda720
Author's Notes:
Thanks to those who've been reviewing! Here's the next chapter, let me know whatcha think!

Lani

So I learned at lunch with Dominic that he and Susan weren’t really anything serious and they had only gone out on a few dates. He basically told me that wasn’t really interested her because of the jealousy card she started early on when she saw a lot of the pictures of me with his family that were taken over the years hung up around his house. I wasn’t really surprised to be honest, I knew by the way he looked at me and ignored the fact that she was sucking her teeth that Sunday that there would never be another girl that will amount to Melania Renee Violano in his eyes.

 

Justin never answered his phone that night when I called him to bring me to work. The last I saw of him was when he left with his stuff to go back to work and no matter how many times I called him (23, but who’s counting) he never answered so I had to resort to walking to work. If I could pick any word to describe my 15 minute walk I would pick paranoid; every two seconds I was turning my head in every direction looking for people that may try to fuck with me. When I finally made it to work, twenty minutes late, the club was packed and people were all over the place (nothing out of the ordinary).

After a while of serving drinks and pretending to flirt with the scumbags who tried to get my number (my boss told me I needed to be more approachable even if I didn’t want to be) I saw the familiar crowd of people make their way to the back of the club, Justin and Trace liked to make entrances like they were somebody. I smirked to myself and continued to work, even though I was pissed that he didn’t answer his phone I knew that night was definitely going to be a fun one; Justin and Trace may seem like the type that are serious about work, and they are, but the two of them and alcohol make a hilarious mix and Justin can dance his ass off and usually I got to dance a few times with them during the night, which made my job a little more enjoyable. Even though I hate bartending at Marquee it took my mind off of the worrying I was doing about my family and the dirt they were getting into.

 

“Hey Lani, what’s going on?” I glanced up and was met with Trace.

“Hey Midget, nothing really, I’m just working as you can see. What can I get for you?”

“Uhm can I get rum and coke and Justin said keep the Hurricanes coming.” I made a face at the drink Justin was ordering.

“Is he trying to get himself fucked up tonight for a reason?” I handed Trace the rum and coke he ordered and started to mix Justin’s drink.

“No idea. But I’m gonna get back out there, I’m sure I’ll be seeing you in a little while again. If you get a chance to get away I’ll save you dance.” He winked as he walked away with the drinks in hand. I’m glad Rae found someone who makes her happy; Trace is really a funny guy, I know I don’t talk about him much but he’s great.

 

 

By 3:30 I was ready to go home, but had a ½ hour left; my feet were killing me from being in 3 inch stilettos all night and my head was pounding from Dave’s annoying ass music. Before I knew it I saw DJ David making his way over to me to ‘order a drink’.

 

“Hey sexy lady.” Was he serious? Just because he’s a DJ it doesn’t mean that he’s going to musically inclined, and even if he could sing it wouldn’t make my panties melt like he wanted them to when he came around.

“Young Berg would be offended to know that you’re using his song to try to hit on me.”

“Worth a try, right Principessa?” Yuck.

“Try again Dave. Do you need something?”

“I saw you standing over here looking lonely and was wondering if you needed some company.”

“I wasn’t lonely, I was working. You want a drink? Don’t you have a DJ booth you need to attend?”

“Can I just get a Coke? And maybe a date with you? Say breakfast after closing? We can hit up a diner and get to know each other. I know everyone else that works here on a friendly basis except for your pretty little self. It’s been what, a year since you’ve been here?”

“I’ve got plans after let out.”

“You have plans at 4 in the morning? Damn you’re a busy girl. Who’s the lucky person you have plans with?”

“She’s going home with me man. So you should stop trying so hard and make your way back over there.” I looked next to Dave at Justin who was relying on the bar to hold him upright.

“You’re goin home with him Lani?”

“Yeah Dave, that a problem?”

“I just didn’t know you were into his type. Suit yourself though.” He grabbed his Coke and walked to the other side of the club and continued to do what he’s paid to do.

 

“Thanks, he’s been bothering me about going out with him for a while.”

“Like you would.” I could hear the hostility in his voice.

“Excuse me? What is that supposed to mean?”

“I didn’t expect you to give him the time of day, why would you? I mean you haven’t given anyone the time of day other than Dominic.” So that’s what this was about.

“You’re drunk.”

“I’m just tipsy. I know what I’m talking about though Lani.”

“Whatever. I have a job to do.” He stood there for the next 15 minutes while I cleaned up the bar and made sure everything was in its place for the next night.

 

“How are you getting home?” I looked sideways at him as he followed me out of the front door.

“I’m walking like I usually do.”

“Trace went to pick up Rae and they went back to your place.” Great, now I get to listen to them fuck each other all night.

“I’ll just put the TV on loud.”

“Why don’t you come to my place and stay there?” I glanced over at his car and scoffed.

“I’m not getting in the car with you after the drinks you’ve had.” Justin reached into his jean pocket and pulled out the keys to his BMW.

“Maybe you aren’t aware, but I’m not a big fan of driving.”

“Alright, fine. I’ll just get behind the wheel intoxicated.”

“Don’t do it. Give me your damn keys. I’ll stay over there but I’m sleeping on the couch, I don’t trust you when you drink.” I noticed the grin form on his face as I got into the drivers seat of his car and drove away from the curb in the direction of his condo.


Justin

I wasn’t nauseas before I got in the car with her, but I sure as hell was green in the face when we parked in the garage of my building. She wasn’t lying when she said she didn’t like to drive; I’ve never seen someone so tense behind the wheel in their life and I was scared for my own safety at the way she kept stopping and going in the NYC traffic (not the smartest idea when people are driving way over the speed limit).

 

“God damn do you have your license?” We were finally getting onto the elevator to ride up to my condo when I was able to hold down the vomit from spewing out.

“I told you I don’t like driving” I went into my room to change into baggy sweatpants and a beater while she went into the kitchen to do whatever it was she wanted. When I was done changing I followed her into the kitchen, which was still pitch black, and waited on the other side of the fridge for her to finish getting whatever she was looking for.

 

“Shit Justin.”

“Sorry, I figured you’d see me, but I guess you’re blind as fuck.” I grabbed the two bottles of water from her hand and placed them on the counter adjacent from us.

“It’s hard to see someone when they’re standing the dark. I wasn’t born with night vision like you. Sorry.” Lani joked and hopped up on the island as I turned on the light and rummaged through the cabinets to grab more junk.

“So you and Dominic aren’t together?”

“No.”

“Why was he there this afternoon then? You two looked together to me.”

“We had lunch and I was telling him about the guy from the kitchen and I got emotional, that’s all.”

“So you guys aren’t fucking anymore?” Her mouth gaped open and then closed because she was speechless.

“No Justin, we’re no longer fucking.” I don’t know what came over me but I made my way from across the kitchen and stood in front of her and parted her legs so I could stand in between them.

“Getting kinda close to me, don’t you think?”

“Am I making you nervous or something?” Shit, I was making myself nervous.

“No.” Typical Lani, always being too stubborn to admit to stuff; I knew she was nervous, she kept grabbing at her wrist.

“Good. Because I’ve been wanting to do this ever since I met you a few months back.” I let my hand ran up and down her exposed thigh and reached my other hand up to push the fallen strands of hair out of her face.

“Do what? Get me on your counter?” Oh damn, bad sentence. I tried to hide the truth so I laughed at her indirect reference and shook my head.

“In more ways than one.”

“You’re drunk Justin, we can’t do this. I doubt you’ll remember any of this tomorrow.”

“I know what I’m doing. I thought you weren’t uncomfortable Lani?”

“I’m not.” She managed to choke out through her nervousness. This was going to feel great, and I knew it.


Lani

 

“Stop me if I’m crossing the line then.” His previously icy blue eyes I noticed were a darker blue as he stared at me and waited for me to object to what he was about to do next. After waiting a minute to see if I would say I was uncomfortable Justin leaned down and finally met his lips with mine. Before that night I had never really thought about kissing him and I was stupid for not letting him do it earlier; kissing Justin for that first time was seriously amazing and intense. I hate to say this but I hadn’t had sex in a while and that kiss made me want to let him take me right there on his counter (and I’m not one who has sex with guys easily).

I hadn’t realized that after about a minute Justin’s hand was inching its way up my skirt until I felt it rest firmly against my inner thigh so I pushed it away. “That’s crossing the line,” I mumbled against his lips and then continued kissing him.

 

Within seconds he picked me up by the bottom of my thighs and carried me up the stairs carefully and into his bedroom. Justin laid me down on his big ass bed and closed the door, like someone would be coming in, before crawling on top of me and continuing our little make out session. Just as he started to take off my shirt we heard annoying laughter throughout the condo and both froze mid-kiss.

 

“Who the fuck is that?” I whispered harshly.

“Who do you think it is? I don’t know of anyone with a laugh like that other than Trace.”

“I thought you said he was at my place.”

“I thought he was too. I’m sorry.” Why the hell was I so disappointed? I shouldn’t have even let it get that far, but I was enjoying his touch.

 

 

“Justin? Are you up there?” He glanced down at me and gave me an apologetic look then climbed from on top of me.

“Yeah I’m in my room. What’s up?” He climbed out of the bed and opened the door just a little so Trace couldn’t see who was in the room.

“Rae and I were sitting around and realized Lani never came home from work and now Rae is just about shitting her pants because of what happened the other day. Did you see her leave the club?” Great, knowing Rae she called my dad and he sent out a search party looking for me.

“I’m in here.” I got out of Justin’s bed and pulled open the door so Trace could see it was me.

“Oh, wow. Sorry to interrupt, I’ll let Rae know she can call off the dogs. You two enjoy, I’ll be downstairs in my room if you need anything, not that you would.” The little bastard winked at Justin and gave him two thumbs up like I wasn't right there and couldn't see what he did.

 

“I should get going.”

“Don’t be stupid Melania, it’s 5:30 in the morning. You aren’t walking home at this hour alone.” I watched as he walked back over to his bed and got underneath the covers, that were now messed up. “You can sleep in here, I promise I won’t try anything else with you. Get in.” It seemed that as soon as his head hit the pillow he was drifting off to sleep so I didn’t want to ask him to take me home. At that point asking Trace for a ride home was out of the picture; my embarrassment got the best of me and wouldn’t let me resort to him so I stayed.

 

“Night Justin.” I knew he didn’t really hear me. I slipped out of my skirt and went searching through his drawers to look for a pair of basketball shorts and one of his beaters before getting into bed next to him. Even though I tried to scoot as far over as I could somehow his body found its way next to mine and his arms made their way around my body. I will not feed into temptation; I will not let my morals lose in the battle against my hormones.

 

Who the hell was I kidding? I wanted that man so bad at that point that I don't know how I didn't fuck him right then and there in his sleep. What did I get myself into?

Old Friends by tda720
Author's Notes:
Here's the latest chapter. It's not much but I hope you'll enjoy! There will be more later tonight or tomorrow! Thanks and don't forget to let me know what you think!

Justin

 

I woke up Saturday afternoon and she was gone. When I went downstairs to see if Trace was home I heard him talking to someone on the phone so I decided to just get dressed and grab something to eat without him, a nearly fatal decision on my part.

 

Walking really helped me clear my mind about what happened with Lani the night before. I know for a fact that if I were completely sober I wouldn’t have kissed her, but I can’t say that I was regretting what happened. Even though at the time I was pissed that Trace interrupted, when I woke up I was grateful that things didn’t go any further; I don’t know how mine and Lani’s newly formed friendship would have changed if we had gone further and had sex.

 

           

When I found what I was looking for, Café Metro, I went inside to eat but second guessed my choice of restaurant when I heard a familiar voice but couldn’t find the face to go along with it. I was engrossed in my laptop, minding my own business, going through the design I was currently working on when I heard the chair on the other side of the table drag against the floor.

 

“Hey Justin.” I looked up from what I was doing and was met with Jocelyn.

“Hi.” Out of all the places in New York to eat I picked the same place as her.

“How have you been?”

“I’ve been really good, what about you?”

“Actually I’ve been great. I just finished getting my Masters in Education over at Columbia. I’m really happy with the point I’m at right now.” It was then that I noticed the huge ass ring on her left ring finger.

“I see that…” I guess she noticed me glance over at the ring.

“He’s a great guy.”

“Have you’ve been together since…” I didn’t even want to ask, but I had to know if this was the guy that made her realize she didn’t want to wait for me anymore.

“Yeah.” I don’t understand why she was acting so ashamed and hiding it from me. I didn’t care…that much.

“That’s cool though Joce, I’m really happy for you.”

“Thanks. So enough about me, I’ve heard from people that they’ve seen you around with someone. Who’s the lucky lady?”

“People like who?”

“People like Jeff and Ricky.” I had forgotten that two of my coworkers, and friends, are still really good friends with Jocelyn. I reminded myself to tell them that my personal life was none of her business.

“I don’t know what they’re talking about.”

“Oh come on. Jeff says she’s quite the looker, beautiful Puerto Rican girl. He told me that she brought you food to the office for a week straight one time when you guys were working late. She sounds like a real keeper Just.” I couldn’t help but notice the sarcasm in her voice.

“Yeah she is.”

“So you guys are together?”

“If you want to call it that.” I couldn’t help but lie. Would you tell an ex who is engaged and happy that you’re still miserably single if you had the chance to stretch the truth? Yeah, I didn’t think so.

“You know, from what they tell me, I can’t help but notice the similarities. Are you even over what happened yet?” There was the jealous bitch that I knew.

“Excuse me? Why wouldn’t I be over what happened? Enlighten me.”

“Well, she’s Puerto Rican, I’m Puerto Rican. Obviously her hair is curly, as well as mine. Ricky said she seems very stubborn and like she’s a good-girl. Aren’t those characteristics I possess?”

“First of all, she’s Black and Italian. Africa and Italy are nowhere near Puerto Rico incase you haven’t realized that. And whose hair isn’t curly these days? For God’s sake my hair is curly, does that mean I’m trying to be like you? As far as the good girl part goes, you are anything but; in fact Jocelyn, you’re one of the easiest people I know. I’m happy that you’ve found someone who can give you what you need, really I am, but don’t sit here and try to accuse me of dating girls who are like you to fill some void I have for you. Don’t flatter yourself Jocelyn.”

“Have a good day Justin.” I really didn’t mean to come off as harsh as I did, but seriously I hate girls who are like her. It was then that I realized why we weren’t together, and I was glad to be miserably single if I had the opportunity to be miserably engaged to that bitch.

 

I used to love Jocelyn and used to think that she was the girl I was going to spend the rest of my life with, and then I came back down from outer space. I guess you can say that our situation was similar to the situation Dominic and Lani were in; both of us were at different places in our lives. I wanted to be young and live my life and establish myself in the architecture world while she wanted me to commit to her and put a ring on her finger. I was getting tired of being the nice one in our relationship, Jocelyn is one of those girls who expect their boyfriend to buy anything and everything, even if they didn’t need it; that’s not me at all, I worked hard for my money and didn’t want to waste it on her.

I was with her for three years before we decided that we needed to get our shit together, apart. After about three months of our trial separation she called me and told me that she was moving on with someone who was ready to grow up and give her what she wanted, and that was probably the last time I spoke to her. By the time I was 24 I loved and lost.

 

I was fed up with being out by the time I was done eating so I made my way back to my condo and was met with Rae, Trace, and Lani sitting around watching old home movies (yeah I don’t know why either).

 

“Hey Justy!” Justy? Were they drinking already at 4?

“Hi…”

“We tried to call your cell to see if you wanted to hang out with us but it was turned off.”

“Yeah I left it upstairs. Sorry. But can I ask what the hell you guys are doing?” I sat down next to Lani and looked at the plasma TV screen which had a video of Trace and I playing at the moment, and then I heard my mom call me Justy from behind her camera. Oh god.

“Trace was cleaning out his closet and found these so we decided we needed a good laugh.” I looked over at Trace who shrugged his shoulders.

“Don’t look at me man, it was Rae’s idea. She made Lani bring over a backpack filled with movies of them too. You came home just in time.”

 

After an hour of hysterical laughing at the younger versions of Trace and I, Lani managed to contain her amusement long enough to speak.

 

“So, as you all know, my birthday is next Friday.”

“I didn’t know that.” She shot me a dirty look and ignored what I said.

“Anyways, I gotta go out to dinner with my family that night, but Saturday I was thinking we could drive up to the Hamptons for the weekend if you guys can’t get off of work. I’ll be there for the whole week with my Dad and Gianni, but he said I’m welcome to invite people to stay there too. And since you guys are the only people I deem worthy enough to spend this fantabulous holiday with me, I’m inviting you guys to come and go as you please.”

“Fantabulous? And who said your birthday is some sort of regal holiday?”

“Are you in or not?”

“If I can get some time off of work, I’m down.” Who was he kidding? Trace can get any time off of work he wants to; shit he’s his own boss.

“Chica you already know I scheduled in vacation time at the salon months ago.” Everyone in the room turned and looked at me for my answer.

“I guess I can put in some extra office time this coming week so I can get the week off to stay there. You’re lucky that I like you Lani.” I wasn’t expecting the gigantic hug that came with my agreeing to spend the week with them, but it came and it was the most affection (that hasn’t been induced by tragedy) she’s ever showed me since we’ve been friends. God damn and it felt good.

I'm A Changed Man by tda720
Author's Notes:
Here it is as promised! Enjoy! Feedback is really appreciated

Lani

 

My birthday has never been a big thing to me; I never wanted it to be celebrated in the past years because no one was ever really around. For some reason my 24th birthday was one that I was extremely excited about, and I don’t really know why. I finally had two weekends off in a row, which was something that I’ve never had since I started bartending, and the people that knew how to have a good time were spending the week with me.

 

My dad and Gianni drove into the city the night of my birthday so we could have a family dinner, family meaning the three of us, at a restaurant of my choice (which was something that never happened); my dad is very picky about where and what he eats so he always makes the decisions when we do go out. The three of us were making our way to La Caverna when discussions about the Hamptons started.

 

“So do you guys know who exactly is coming with us tomorrow? I need to know so I can go grocery shopping.” My dad asked me and my brother after a few minutes of being silent in the car.

“Well I know that Trace, Rae, and Justin are gonna try to come for the week and then whoever Gianni brings. But we can do all that once we get up there so don’t worry about it.”

“Justin eh? You’ve been spending a lot of time with him, are you guys dating or something?” Ha, yeah right. I wish.

“No.”

“Diego tells me that Larissa told him you and Justin have been getting pretty close since the incident.” The ‘incident’ is what we refer to the night that guy broke in as. I hate talking about it with anyone in my family because they get pissed and vindictive, which is not a pretty sight so we call it the incident and leave it at that.

“Zio {uncle} Diego tells you a lot of things Dad. It doesn’t necessarily mean that he’s right.” We got out of Gianni’s car and made our way into the restaurant where we were seated at a table in the back. Everything was going good until I saw my dad shoot daggers with his eyes across the room, a look that all of us Violanos use as a warning to people we aren’t too fond of.

 

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing Melania.” I shot a glance over to Gianni who didn’t buy his answer either.

“You may be able to lie to other people but you’ve always been horrible at lying to us old man.” Thank you Gianni.

“Remember Randy Timberlake?” The two of us nodded, not really knowing what was going on. “Well he just got seated across the room with his family.” I went to turn around in my chair to look but was scolded by my dad to turn back around and ignore them.

 

We ended up staying at the restaurant longer to wait for them to leave because my dad didn’t want to start a confrontation on my birthday, how sweet of him right? Eventually I saw my dad grin evilly at someone and turned around in my seat, even if he didn’t want me to. The guy he was grinning at, Randy Timberlake I assumed, was grinning right back at him as if he were challenging my dad. I didn’t catch a glimpse of who he was with because the restaurant was so dimly lit, but I saw the back of an older male and two younger ones who were already making their way outside. We left quickly after them; my dad made some sort of bullshit excuse that since Randy knew where we were we needed to leave because of the problems between the two of them at the moment. Leave it up to the family business to ruin my birthday, once again…

 

 

Although dinner ended early, Rae, Justin, Trace and I all went down to Marquee for free drinks, that is the only perk of working there, and we ended up treating it like it were any other Friday night and got a little wasted with some of my coworkers. I knew we had to get up early to head out but it was the first night in a while that I was the out of control girl at the club and it felt damn good.

 

The next day we all packed up the three cars (my dad’s, Gianni’s, and Justin’s) and headed to the Hamptons to start a week free of busy cities and full of relaxation, or so I thought. The second we pulled into the gates of my dad’s Hamptons beach house I noticed something was off. Sitting in front of one of the garage doors was a car that I had never seen before. I looked over at Rae who was sitting next to me in the back seat of Justin’s BMW and she just shrugged her shoulders. The four of us left unpacking until later and got out so I could show Trace and Justin around the house.

 

After the tour Rae and Trace went swimming down at the beach with Gianni and his friend Joe and my dad went out to check on the club he owns in town and to “do some business” which left Justin and I alone. For the first time since the night I went back to his house after work we were alone with no one else around and it was extremely weird. For about an hour we just sat on the couch, not talking, and watching a movie and then he got up and walked out of the room mumbling that he was going shopping. After a few minutes of eerie silence in the house I figured that he left so I got up from the couch and made my way towards the room I was staying in. I was tired from going out the night before so while everyone was gone I figured I could go a take a nap until dinner time, but I was wrong.

 

“Hey what’r you up to?” I stopped on the step and turned around and saw Justin who had changed from his basketball shorts into plaid AE shorts and a dark blue t-shirt.

“I was gonna go take a nap, I’m pretty beat. I thought you were gonna go down to Main St and look around?”

“I decided to save my money for something better. Mind if I join you? I’m still sorta hung over from last night, as I’m sure you can see.” I laughed because it was true; even though he was well groomed he looked like shit from too much partying. I wasn’t really sure about my dad’s reaction to Justin and I sleeping in the same bed if he came home, but at that point I was so tired that I didn’t even care.

“Sure, come on.” He followed me up the stairs and down to the end of the hallway where my room was but ran into my back when I stopped short in the doorway.

 

“What the…” I looked over at the bed where there was a big white box sitting on top of it with a green bow.

“It looks like someone’s got a late birthday gift.” We sat down on the bed and I picked up the box and put it in my lap and opened it. Inside was something that I definitely didn’t expect; a car brochure and car keys.

 

“Holy shit, that car is mine.” I saw the face Justin made from the corner of my eye.

“What car? And don’t you hate driving?”

“That Porsche Cayenne outside in the driveway. And I do hate driving, mainly in the city. I’m fine on the roads back home though.”

“I’d like to hope that you’re better then that horrible driving you did that night. I thought I was going to die.”

“Oh shut up, you were way too intoxicated to realize what was going on. Let’s go look inside this bad boy.”


Justin

I was thinking at that point ‘whoever got her that car was stupid, they must have wanted her to die (or commit mass murder)’. Seriously, when I say that she’s a bad driver I’m being nice, because she’s fucking horrible. I know you can’t judge someone based on one incident, but I’ve never seen anything worse in my life. I was hoping as we approached the white truck she didn’t want to take it for a joyride, because I wanted to enjoy my vacation not end up in the morgue.

 

I’ve never seen her so excited about something the way she was when we were looking over her new car. It was sexy to see her smiling and acting like a 16 year old getting their first car. I made a mental note to tell her that she should smile more often. After a while of looking at the car we decided to take a drive into town to start the shopping trip I had intended on before. We made our way through the stores on Main St. and then headed over to Blue & Cream to shut her up, which she’s been talking about since we got here. On our way out of the store to her car I saw Jocelyn get out of a Benz by the curb, so put on my aviators that were sitting on my head and pulled my hat really low down on my face so she wouldn’t see me, but she did.

 

“Oh gosh! Hey Justin, we just keep seeing each other everywhere.” I hadn’t made contact with her for almost two years until that day at Café Metro, and here she was again just a week later.

“Hey Jocelyn.” I saw the smirk on Lani’s face when she realized who the girl was that I was talking to. I should have never told her about Jocelyn.

“Jay, this is Jocelyn?” Jocelyn glared at Lani up and down before speaking up.

“This must be Melania. I’ve heard so much about you, I pictured you to be prettier though.” Oh god, she didn’t go there. I wrapped my arm around Lani’s waist tightly to keep her from bitching out Jocelyn.

“I’m happy you’ve heard a lot about me, it’s funny though because I haven’t heard a thing about you. Hmm, I guess you’re just not that important.” For once in her life Jocelyn was left speechless and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“Ready to go baby? I’m getting kinda hungry.” She looked up at me and smiled then looked back at Jocelyn and did the same. Wait a second. Did she just call me Baby? Shit, Jocelyn needed to be around more often if this was the treatment I got from Lani.

“Yeah.” We walked to the car and put our bags in before driving off back towards the house.

 

“Funny, I pictured her to be prettier.” I laughed and turned down the radio that was blasting.

“She’s a bitch. You’re gorgeous don’t even let her get to you.”

“I’m not. Aw but you think I’m gorgeous?” I must have turned four shades of red because I hadn’t even realized I said that.

“I mean, you’re okay.

“Whatever Justy, don’t even try to hide it now. If it makes you feel any better you’re not too hard on the eyes yourself.”

“Thanks. And stop calling me Justy, that shit’s annoying.”

“Aw, is the baby embarrassed by his Momma’s nickname? Oh yeah, how has that skank hoe heard so much about me?”

“The guys at the office. She’s still straight with a few of them and they told her about you coming in with dinner for me that week. Nosy ass pricks.”

“Ha, they think we’re together?”

“Pretty much. I haven’t told them otherwise.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t feel a need to. It’s not like being with you affects my work, they don’t really have a right to know who I’m dating, or in this case who I’m not.”

“Interesting.”

“I mean, do you tell your coworkers who you’re dating?”

“No.”

“Alright then. They can think I’m with you all they want to. It’s better for me that they do.” I looked at her confused face as I turned into the driveway.

“Why?”

“I’m trying to change how I am with women and they only encourage the one night stands I used to have, especially when we all go out after a project is finished. Where do you think I learned how to party so hard from? But since they’ve thought I’m with you they don’t even mention me talking to other girls. And they know better to say smart shit when you come around, I don’t play that.”

“Is someone defensive of me?”

“Somebody’s gotta be. They may be professional but they’re assholes when it comes to women.”

“You mean like you are?”

“Like I was. I’m a changed man. I’m ready for a relationship now.”

“Really, and who exactly are you looking to have a relationship with?”

“Do you really want to know?”

“It would be nice.”

“I want to be with you. We’ve come a long way since you hated my guts. I mean, I know that you’ve told me you aren’t with anyone because you’re not ready to be, but would it hurt to try something new? I’ve thought about doing what we did that night at my house everyday for the past week. I want to be able to kiss you and hold you when we go to bed on a regular basis Lani. You are the one who loves change, aren’t you?”

“Wow, I don’t know what to say.” I was expecting her to say that.

“You don’t even have to say anything, I don’t expect you to. I just want you to know that the offer is out there when or if you’re ready to take it.”

 

 

After I was done speaking she climbed out of the car and headed back into the house where we found everyone sitting around on the deck watching Giovanni grill steaks and burgers. I already knew that it was going to be a great week; I already felt more free now that I let it out there that I wanted to try to form a deeper relationship with her it was up to her to let me know if she wanted that.

 

Uptight by tda720

Lani

 

I know what you’re thinking, I shouldn’t have been so tongue tied and I should have just told him I wanted to be with him. I couldn’t do that though, something about Justin made me want to be with him so bad but at that point I wasn’t ready for a relationship, at least the kind he was looking for.

The rest of the week up in the Hamptons was fantastic. My dad really got to know Justin a lot better and he even took a big liking to Trace, which was really crucial for Trace because my dad is basically like Rae’s second father. Justin even started to prove to me that he could be a good boyfriend through out the whole week; one night we went out to dinner, just the two of us and he went all out to make it really romantic, and another night we went out with Rae and Trace to the movies which I guess you can look at as a double date.

There was one night in particular that I’ll never forget because it really made me view Justin in a different way. Everyone had gone out onto the beach to just relax and eat and I decided to stay in the house because I was feeling a little sick from being out in the sun all day; Trace came into the house to check on me and we got to talking.

 

“Your friend told me that he wanted to be with me the other day when we went shopping.”

“I know, he told me” He laid down on the couch with his head in my lap and smiled. Trace and I had gotten a lot closer over the week and it felt really good to be able to talk to someone other than Rae about Justin.

“I don’t know what to do though T.”

“Then wait until you figure it out. Justin’s not trying to rush you into anything you’re not ready to do, trust me, that’s the last thing he wants. He’s gonna be 27 in January though, and he knows that it’s time for him to stop bullshitting around with girls the way he has the past two years. He really likes you, why do you think he tried so hard from the start to get you to stop being a bitch?” The both of us laughed as I grabbed at his hair, pretending to braid it.

“I figured he wanted to get in my pants and then leave.”

“For one, he couldn’t have left even if he wanted to. I know I’m dating Rae and everything Lani, but seriously you’re one of the most gorgeous girls, inside and out, that I’ve come across in a while. I know for a fact that if I wasn’t falling for your best friend and if Justin wasn’t madly attracted to you I’d try to tap that ass myself.” Now I knew he was joking.

“I like him Trace. I’m just not ready.”

“No one says you have to be ready right now babe.” Before I could respond we heard Gianni calling us from outside so I sucked up all the nausea I was feeling and pushed Trace out of my lap and pulled him outside onto the deck where everyone was just coming in from the beach.

 

Getting back to the city meant getting back to work and living a boring ass life, fun fun fun right? A few days after we got back I was going to meet Justin for lunch to tell him that I wanted to attempt to deepen our relationship, but was met with one of his coworkers as soon as I stepped off the elevator.

 

“Lani right?”

“Yep, that’s me.”

“Justin’s not around.”

“That’s strange, I just called and the secretary told me that he’s still in the office.”

“He just left for lunch actually, if you take the elevator down you may be able to catch him before he leaves.”

“Thanks…” I couldn’t remember his name for the life of me.

“Scott.”

“Right, Scott. I knew that.” When I got off the elevator in the lobby I saw Justin, standing with a tall brunette, looking very comfortable. I went to walk towards them but stopped when I saw him lean down and kiss her. Nice right? I didn’t stay any longer and on my way out I made it a point to be seen by him. I shouldn’t have fallen into his bullshit, I had a feeling that he didn’t really change and I was right. When I walked past the two love birds I turned my head back and saw Justin staring in disbelief. Idiot. He liked me a lot though, yeah right Trace.

 


Justin

 

There are no words to describe how stupid I felt when I saw Lani storm past Nina and I. I had no idea that she was going to show up to my job. I’m sure she thought that something was going on between Nina and me because of the kiss I gave her before she left, but the truth is she wouldn’t leave me alone about kissing her.

 

I don’t know you if you remember, but Nina was basically the girl I called when I needed a release (if you know what I mean). I stopped calling her altogether and she started to question why I didn’t come around, and that turned into showing up at my job and questioning me, needy little bitch. She wouldn’t leave until I kissed her one last time, and I’m guessing Lani saw the kiss. I knew I fucked up my chance with her and I didn’t think anything would be able to gain it back.

 

She didn’t return any of my phone calls, she wouldn’t respond back to my IMs or texts that I sent her; Lani wanted nothing to do with me and I don’t blame her. If the situation were reversed and I saw her kissing all up on Dominic I wouldn’t speak to her either. Things were awkward when we’d all get together for our weekly take out and a movie and I even thought about leaving their apartment the night after it happened so she would feel more comfortable, but I knew Trace and Rae wouldn’t have it.

I’m not surprised that when Friday came around we went to party at the club she worked at, hell she gave us free drinks all night why wouldn’t we go there? After all, the only person she was mad at was me. I definitely had one too many drinks by the time 2 AM rolled around, I should have stopped at 3 when Rae told me to but I was in mourning of my lost relationship with Lani (dramatic I know). I was sitting across the room from the bar when I noticed the boy band wannabe make his way over to her with that annoying ass smile he always had on his face. I felt my face get hot and my blood boil when I saw her lean over the bar and meet his lips with hers. The next thing I knew I was walking over to the bar to confront her about kissing Dominic and there was nothing anyone could say or do to stop me.

 

“Ayo, Melania.” I heard her suck her teeth even over the loud ass music thumping. She ignored me and continued to talk to Dominic. I wasn’t having it, so I kept trying to get her attention, and finally she acknowledged me.

“Justin you’re very drunk, go find Trace or Rae for me so I can tell them to bring you home before you make a fool of yourself.

“I’m only going home if it’s with you. When are you going to let me hit that Lani, stop being such a cock tease.” Alcohol mixed with anger makes me really irrational and turns me into an asshole. I noticed her Backstreet Boy reject tighten his jaw before turning to say something to me but Lani grabbed his arm to stop him. He kissed her again, slowly as if he knew why I was mad in the first place, and then told her he’d see her in a little while before turning around to leave. Typical of a pansy to run away when problems arise. She didn’t need a man that wasn’t going to protect her anyways…

 

“Poor little Lani, all alone now. Don’t worry man, I’m not out to use her to get to her dad like everyone else, you don’t need to be so protective. She won’t be in danger if you leave her. Although, I won’t be mad if you stay because the only time she takes that dildo out of her ass is when you’re around. Tell me Lani, are you such a cold hearted bitch to people because of who you’re dad is or is that just natural for you to be so fucking tight?”

 

Fedeltà by tda720
Author's Notes:
I couldn't stay away, my creative juices were flowing tonight. Hope you enjoy! Don't forget to let me know what you think! Thanks!

Lani

He was really starting to piss me off with his drunken ass, but I couldn’t make a bigger scene than was already being made because my bosses would have my ass. I was ready to explode when he started to call me a bitch though, I wasn’t the one who did anything and there I was getting the shit end of the stick.

 

“What the hell did you just say?” I couldn’t believe the words that just came out of his mouth. I had to pause and let his words register before I could even speak.

“If I don’t tell you are you going to put a hit out on me? I don’t understand why you’re such a bitch Lani. Where did that come from? We all aren’t like you.” All I could do was stare in shock at Dom as he shook his head and walked away. I was at a loss for words too. How the fuck did he find out about my dad? And who the hell was we?

 

 

Have you ever thought you had done the best job in the world at hiding something? For example, have you ever scratched the hell out of your mom’s hardwood floor and thought you did the best job at covering it from her only to find out she knew all along? That’s how I felt that night as I laid in bed trying to sleep. I had no idea how Justin could have figured out about my dad. I had never been so restless in my life, and there I was losing sleep over a guy that I pretty much hated at that point. He was right though, I had never been so shut off to people the way I had been towards him. I glanced at Dom who was lying on his back with his arm securely around my body and figured maybe he could answer my questions; he’s known me for a long time, he knew how I used to be.

 

 

“Dominic am I a bitch?” I knew he would hear me, like I said before he’s a light sleeper. I felt him stir underneath me before he rolled onto his side and moved me so my back was flush against his chest.

“Melania you need to sleep. Don’t let what that prick said get to you.”

“He had a point sorta. The only time I really open to people is if it’s with family or you, don’t you think that’s a bad thing? And I mean, maybe Daddy wanted to name me Melania for a reason; it does mean black. Maybe he knew I was going to turn out like him; black hearted.”

“I doubt he named you Melania because he wanted you to be a bitch. And with the way your life is it’s not a bad thing to be a bitch to people you don’t know. Fuck him Lani, seriously.” I could tell all he wanted to do was sleep so I shut up, but not before letting out one last thought.

“How do you think he found out about Daddy?”

“Honestly I don’t know. Maybe Rae let is slip by accident, she was pretty drunk when she came in tonight.”

“No, I asked her right after you left if she said anything. And she knows better, her dad would kick her ass if she ever let anyone know about our families. “

“Then I don’t know Lani. Come on baby can we please sleep?” He kissed the back of my neck and wrapped his arms tightly around me as I turned around to face him. It felt like I was just dozing off when I heard a cell phone vibrating loudly on the nightstand on Dominic’s side of my bed. He groaned loudly (no one told him to drink as much as he did out with his friends) and reluctantly let go of me and turned around and picked up whatever phone was ringing.

 

“I can’t catch a fucking break when I stay here, someone better be dying. Calling me at 5:30 like they have no fucking sense.” He whispered as he pressed the send button on the phone.

 

“Yeah?” I heard a male’s voice on the other line of the phone before he handed me his phone, “You’re phone is off so your goonies called me next, good job asshole.” Once I had a hold of his EnV Dom turned his back to me and fell right back asleep.

 

“Ciao?” I knew it had to be someone in my family, no one else I hang out with really knows Dom that well.

“Melania there’s been an accident.” That’s all I had to hear to fully wake myself up. I satup straight in bed at the sound of one of my dad’s men. I had no idea that my dad was handling business that night, was he? He wouldn’t handle business without telling me that he was going first. Would he?


Justin

It was like 6 in the morning and I had just barely gotten to bed when mine and Trace’s house line started to blare its annoying ass ring throughout our condo. It just so happened that Trace and Rae were knocked out in his room so I was stuck getting up to get the phone.

 

“Seriously this better be fucking good.” I’m not the type of person who likes to be woken up by annoyances, especially when I have a lot on my mind.

“Uh Justin?” Was this guy serious?

“What the fuck do you want Connor?” I knew that voice anywhere; it was my dad’s brother who I definitely wasn’t too keen on. I still hadn’t forgiven him for the shit he pulled on Lani.

“I think you may want to get Lisa and the boys and come to Jersey City.”

“For what? Don’t bullshit me man, if this has anything to do with Dad and whatever mess he’s gotten into I’m not getting my ass outta bed at 6 to go down there..” I guess Trace was awake because I saw the hallway light turn on outside my door and heard footsteps go downstairs.

“Shut the hell up for two seconds kid. Damn you are your father’s kid. Randy’s been shot.”

“He’s been what?” Was I hearing right? Had my father really been shot?

“You know all that bullshit that’s been going on with some of his men and whatnot?”

Yes…

“Shit went down between him and a few other guys in the business because of it. Shots got fired and your father and one of the other men got hit by a few rounds.”

“Is it bad?”

“Your father isn’t in bad condition but the other guy is pretty fucked up. You might want to get down here though, he’s been asking for you guys.” I was already out of bed and packing a bag before he even said that.

“I’ll call Lisa and get down there as soon as I can man.” I hung up before saying anything else and was already calling Lisa while I was making my way out of the door of the condo.

 

The ride down to the hospital in Jersey my dad was at was dead silent, none of us really knew what to say to each other, was there really anything to say? The only sounds that were heard throughout my BMW were the sounds of Lisa’s sobs.

 

“I’m looking for Randy Timberlake.”

“I’m sorry we’re only letting family back there.”

“I’m his son, Justin Harless.” The old ass nurse looked at me strangely and then pointed to a room close by.

 

I’m not a fan of hospitals and I don’t know of anyone who is. Seeing my dad laid up in a hospital bed with cords and monitors hooked up to him wasn’t a pretty sight, even if he was in stable condition. I always knew that my dad had a dangerous life, but it wasn’t until that moment that I realized just how dangerous it was.

 

“Hey guys.” My dad glanced over at the four of us and forced a half ass smile. Immediately Stephen walked over to him and sat on the bed, Daddy’s boy.

“Randy are you fucking stupid coming here? Do you know how much those guys hate you right now? You could have died.” Lisa started to panic and yell like she always does. I don’t know how my dad lives with her, I’d have to smack her around if she were my wife.

“I know now…” They started to talk about how long he had to be in for and Jon asked where he got shot (thinking it was the coolest thing) when I heard sobbing coming from the hallway. Ignoring my family I made my way back down the hall to go grab something from the vending machine when I saw them.

 

“You have got to be fucking kidding me.” She managed to get out through her uncontrollable tears.

“Everything okay here?” I had my answer as to who my dad got into it with.

“What are you doing here?” I was beginning to think that she and Dominic really were an item, great there goes my chance.

“Do I really need to answer that question brainiac?” Before anyone could respond to what I said a few of her father’s men stepped off the elevator, followed by Gianni.

 

“I think you should leave them be man. You know I can’t stand your ass, but I really think it’s not safe for you to be here.” Dominic walked me to the elevator and followed me down to the cafeteria.

“Why are you following me?”

“You knew about who Melania’s father is. How?”

“I saw the pictures in her room.” Again he tensed up. Somebody needed to get this guy a massage; every time we came in contact with each other he was tensing up.

“It’s cool, I wasn’t in her room doing anything you wouldn’t approve of.” Lately at least.

“You don’t have to lie to me, I know what’s been going on. Lani tells me everything, have you forgotten that? Anyways, do you know what this means now though?”

“No, sorry I’m new to this mob bullshit.” Even though sarcasm dripped from my voice I was being serious. We sat down at a table in the café and sipped on our coffee.

“Your life is about to get real complicated Justin. Whatever you were trying to do with Lani has to stop; if anyone in either family find out you guys are associated they way you are there will be hell to pay. If you care about her like I think you do, you’ll listen and lay low.”

“My family is well aware of what’s been going on with her.”

“Yeah they’re aware and they haven’t backed off have they? That whole incident at her apartment I’m assuming was from your dad?” All I could do was nod. How the hell did this asshole know so much?

“What if I don’t?” I, Justin Timberlake-Harless, am not a quitter. No siree.

“You see those two men that got off the elevator with Gianni,” I nodded, of course I knew Tony and Sal, and he continued, “they don’t play. It took me four years to get them to like me and I have no ties in the mob. Your father just attempted to kill not only the don of their business but their brother, trust me pretty boy they will never like you.” Was I supposed to be scared?

“How the fuck do you know my dad tried to kill her father, what if it was the other way around?”

“You weren’t kidding when you said you’re new. Damn. Look, I’ll break it down to you. It doesn’t matter who shot who first, point blank is two people were shot because of something your father’s men did; there’s about to be an all out war. I don’t know about your father, but Giovanni has men in places you wouldn’t imagine; they aren’t just going to let this slide just because it was your dad’s first misdemeanor.”

“You talk like you know Dominic.”

“Do you see this?” He cocked his head to the side to reveal a large tattoo on his neck that I’ve never noticed before.

“What’s that have to do with this situation?”

“Fedeltà, and it means loyalty. The Violanos live by this among other things, as well as most families in the industry. Keep that in mind when you make your decision about staying away.”

“I don’t understand why you have that tattooed if you have no ties.” He was almost out of the door by the time I responded to everything he was saying, somewhat.

“I’m part of the family brother, whether Lani and I are together or not. Dominic Giordano isn’t going anywhere, so get used to it if you’re sticking around.” What the fuck did Lani see in that guy?

 

I knew that night was going to make everything so much harder to get through to Lani, my life is amazing, seriously. I don’t understand what I ever did to deserve the bumps in the road that have been thrown at me.

But I Couldn't... by tda720
Author's Notes:
Thank you to all of you reading and reviewing! Here's another chapter, let me know what you think.

Lani

He was a Timberlake; he was part of the family that my family despised. I should have seen the signs that were there. Whenever he was in my room he was always so fascinated with the family pictures on my walls, what Timberlake wouldn’t be? And that weird look he gave that man in my house was not a look of terror, more like a ‘what the fuck is going on look’. I brought him around my family, twice, why didn’t they notice the similarities? Okay, maybe he doesn’t even look like his dad, but my uncles are usually really good at telling who belongs to what family if they’re in the ‘businesses.

 

I couldn’t even think straight once Dom and Justin left the waiting room, can you blame me? When Gianni stepped off of the elevator with my Uncle Tony and Uncle Sal the only thing I could do was cry, my mind went numb at that point. Gianni and I sat around for hours talking about the good times we had with my dad, as if he were going to die, until I saw Justin walk back up to his dad’s room, with a mournful look on his face.

 

“Isn’t that Justin?” I looked across the room at my Uncle Tony.

“Yeah.”

“What is he doing here?”

“His dad is here.” Everyone in the room, except for Dom, plastered this confused look on their faces until Uncle Sal got the hint.

“Oh shit, are you kidding me?”

“No, I’m not.” He walked over to me and crouched down in front of the chair I was curled up in.

“I’m sorry Principessa; I know how much you like him.” I didn’t respond, and everyone got the picture that I didn’t want to talk about it anymore. For the remainder of the time we were in the hospital Justin was not mentioned at all.

 

Phone calls kept coming in from people associated with my dad, but they went ignored. Those annoying ass buzzing phones weren’t the only things ignored though, no one had been in to talk to my family about my dad’s condition since we had gotten there. We were all getting frustrated and worried because hours had passed by and there had been no sign of a doctor or a nurse to tell us what was going on.

Not knowing anything only made the crying worse. I didn’t think I had been that loud until I saw a teenage male poke his head out of the door Justin went into earlier. When he saw me look at him he quickly went back inside and Justin came out a few minutes later, with his head down, walking right past us again. I made the excuse that I needed to go get something to eat and went to look for him. I know I should have stayed away, but I couldn’t. I found him at the end of a long hallway on the floor, sitting with his back to a wall with his head buried in his hands.

 

“Hi.” He didn’t even pick his head up to look at me, but he knew who it was.

“You shouldn’t be here with me.”

“Nobody cares and they wouldn’t find us down here if they did.” I sat down against the wall across from him and just stared at a paint speckle on the tiled floor.

“How is he?” For the first time since we’ve been at the hospital we made eye contact.

“I don’t know.” I hadn’t even realized more tears had started to fall until a few dripped onto the top of my sweatpants.

“No one has told you anything?”

“I haven’t seen a doctor since I’ve been here. All I know is that he got shot twice, and that’s only because Carmine was there.”

“I’m sorry Melania, I really am.”

“Have you known all along Justin?”

“Known what?”

“Have you known about my family this whole time?” I saw a look of shame wave over his face before he spoke.

“I’ve known since the first day at your apartment. I’ve never told anyone though if that’s what you’re concerned about. Like I told you, I just met my father a few years back so I don’t really get involved with what he does.”

“But your family knew about…” I couldn’t really say us because there was no us.

“They knew about me being close with you only because of the day that guy broke into your apartment. I don’t, and haven’t told them anything else.” We sat in silence for a few minutes before he crouched in front of where I was sitting and pulled me to my feet. I didn’t expect him to wrap his arms around me and pull me into a hug, but he did.

 

“I’m so sorry about what I said last night. I was drunk and mad and you weren’t returning my phone calls all week. I wanted to explain what happened outside of my building and then I saw you and Dominic kissing…” He stopped talking when I wrapped my arms back around his waist, almost as if he were surprised.

“I haven’t been thinking about it, and besides I think we have bigger problems now.” Before I knew what was going on he bent his head down to kiss me, and I didn’t stop him until a few seconds later.

 

“Bye Lani.”

“What?” But he didn’t answer. He turned around, back down the hallway we had come from without even a glance back. That was the last time that I spoke to him that day, or for a while for that matter.

 

I should have hated him for everything that I’ve been through in the past couple months. I should have told him off when I found him on the floor. I should have been so mad that I caused a big scene in the hospital.

 

I wanted to hate him; I wanted to yell and scream and tell him off; I wanted to turn into that mafia princess and threaten every single staff member in that hospital, but I couldn’t. I couldn’t yell and scream because I had no energy to, my body was too numb to do anything other than cry. I couldn’t threaten the staff if they didn’t tell me what was going on because I don’t use what my dad does to get my way. And I couldn’t hate Justin because I was falling in love with him, yeah that’s right, I loved him.
Down In Memphis by tda720
Author's Notes:
Hey, thank you to everyone that's been leaving me reviews! Here's the next chapter, and this should be it for about a week; I'm going to be wayyyy up in the boonies with no internet access. So enjoy, and make sure you leave some feedback for when I return! Thanks

Justin

 

My father was going to be needing the hospital services for more than a few bullet wounds in the arm if he kept up with his snide ass remarks about Lani. Even in his hospital bed he was calling her a bitch, a whore, and saying that I should have listened to him and stopped ‘fucking around with that half-breed’ when he told me to. To make things worse, my step-mom was sitting there agreeing with everything he was saying.

 

“You know guys are acting like I can just pick and choose who to fall for. I didn’t ask to be back in your life Dad; I was fine without you for 20 years, and I’m sure I’ll be fine without you for the next 20 years if need be. I don’t like this anymore than you guys do, but it’s life, so fucking deal with it.” I stood up from the chair I was sitting in and made my way to the door to leave. As I was walking back the lobby to the elevators I saw the doctor, who had previously gotten a new one torn to him by me, talking to the Violanos. I guess Lani knew that I had gone to let the hospital staff have it after I walked away from her because she mouthed ‘thank you’ to me as the elevator door was closing. I didn’t want to say anything back to create attention so I nodded and put my head down.

 

That was the last time I saw her for a while. I left Jersey City and headed back up to Manhattan to pack up a bag to get out. I hopped on the next plane to the only place I knew I’d be able to relax, my Momma’s house. I was a little hesitant to ring the doorbell when I got out of my rental car for the simple fact that my mom and I got into a huge ass argument the last time I had visited her, and we hadn’t really spoken that much since. But I knew that because she was my mom she would put the bullshit aside and welcome me with open arms, even if it were 3 in the morning.

She didn’t say a word when she opened the door and saw me standing there, even if she wanted to beat my ass for not talking to her; she let me in and moved aside to let me go up to the attic where my old room was to get settled and get to sleep. Then next morning I woke up and trudged my way, zombie-like, downstairs to the kitchen where I smelled my mom cooking breakfast.

 

“Morning baby.” She put a plate down in front of the place I sat at and turned around to make another plate for my step-father who had made his way into the kitchen behind me.

“Hey Momma.” I don’t care what anyone says, there is nothing like my Momma’s cooking; immediately it felt like some of the stress was lifted when I bit into the Belgian waffles and bacon she made.

“Are you gonna tell me why you showed up here in the middle of the night, or am I gonna have to beat it out of you?”

“I’ve just got a lot going on and I needed to get away from the city for a while.”

“Mhm, what’s her name?” I hate that mother’s intuition bullshit.

“What makes you think this has anything to do with a girl?”

“Justin, I’m your momma. You’ve had that look on your face every time a relationship of yours goes bad. So what’s going on that’s got you running back home to your Momma lookin like you just got beat up at the playground?”

 

I told her everything, starting from the beginning. The good thing about my mom is that she’s the type of person who shuts up and lets you say everything you’re feeling before she tells you what she thinks. I was afraid of what she thought though, and for the first time in my life I didn’t want to hear her advice because I knew she was right.

 

“It seems like that Dominic boy is right baby. I’m sorry, I can tell you care for her a lot, but it’s in both of your best interests if you stay away, at least until things die down.”

“I know Ma. It’s not going to die down though. Dad was pissed when I told them off and left, and I’m sure he’s still fuming about it. I’m worried about Lani but I need to let everything be, I know. I don’t even want to go back there because I know I won’t be able to stay away.”

“Move on Justin, that’s the only thing you can do right now. And you know you’re welcome to stay here for as long as you like honey. Now cheer up, I love you baby, and you know I don’t like seeing you down like this.” She kissed my forehead and started to clean up the kitchen while Paul and I went into the living room to watch TV, like we usually did after breakfast when I was growing up.

 

For the majority of the time that I was home I sat around on my ass or ran errands for my mom while she was at work. There was nothing else for me to do but sit around and waste away my life; everyone I had grown up with had basically moved out of town and started families. Except for the losers who managed to stay in town and make something of their lives right there in Millington.

My mom also managed to set me up on the worst blind dates of my life (are there good ones?) with her friend’s daughters or nieces, but I wasn’t interested in the type of girls they were; Melania Renee Violano was the only ‘type’ I was interested in at the moment. Yeah, I was pretty much a big ass loser who was going to be lonely for the rest of my life at the rate I was turning beautiful girls down, but I didn’t care. I wouldn’t settle for anything less than Lani, even if I had to risk my life by being with her.

It was really weird not having anyone other than my family to talk to; I was so used to texting Lani through out the day or calling Trace in between our meetings to just joke around with him and I couldn’t do that. I made it my business to isolate myself from the world that I lived in prior to returning home to Memphis, which meant my cell phone was turned off and I took a leave of absence from my job. I basically had no life while I was ‘away’. I began to think that I was better of risking my life to be with Lani than sitting on my ass down in hot ass Memphis with my parents and grandparents where my only form of entertainment was Friday Night Yahtzee at my grandparents’ and Wednesday Night Bingo down at the community center.


Lani

 

When the elevator doors closed that was the last I saw of Justin for a while, but I didn’t know it at that time. Something in me told me that he was behind the doctors acknowledging that my family was sitting there pulling our hair out while they were lalligagging around us, and I was right when he nodded with a smile as the doors closed.

 

Daddy was okay; he lost a lot of blood from the gunshot wound he got in the stomach, but he was going to be okay after a few days in the hospital. I knew deep down that things were about to change, not only with my love life but with my family life as well. Even in his hospital bed and drugged up on morphine my dad and uncles were already working on ways to retaliate. I was extremely pissed that he sat there, playing with death, talking about things he was going to do to get back at Justin’s dad; did he not care that Gianni and I were ready to go crazy when we didn’t know what was going on with him?

 

When my dad got out of the hospital I went home to be around my family and stayed at my place on the weekends to work; I realized that those Sunday dinners weren’t enough anymore. Justin vanished off of the face of the earth; we went by his office and they said he took a few weeks off but didn’t specify why and he cut his phone service off without telling anyone. After a few days of him not coming home Trace got extremely worried and busted out the big guns; he made a phone call back home to Justin’s mom to see if she had seen him. The only information he got out of her was that Justin was safe, but no matter how hard Trace tried to pry more information out of her she wouldn’t budge.

 

Despite my realization that I was falling in love with Justin, I had to live my life normally and try to get over it because a) there was no way we could be together now that our families really wanted to kill each other and b) it didn’t look like he was coming back anytime soon. I missed Justin coming into Marquee on Fridays and the occasional Saturdays; I missed the mid-day texts I would get just saying hi; I missed him showing up randomly at my apartment to annoy the hell out of me; I missed that contagious smile and his piercing blue eyes; I missed his touch, his kiss, his voice; I missed everything about him and it drove me crazy that we didn’t (and couldn’t) speak.

 

“Melania could you come in here for a second?” I heard my dad yell from down in the family room while I was in the kitchen looking for something to eat.

“What is it?” He patted the couch next to him so I sat down without saying a word.

“I just wanted to let you know that I’m sorry about everything. I know you were finally moving on from Dominic and then all of this happened. For what it’s worth I liked Justin, it just isn’t safe for you two to continue anything with each other, for you or for him.”

“Please Daddy, I was just starting to forget about everything.” So maybe I was lying, I just didn’t want to talk about it anymore. I was tired of everyone telling me they were sorry that circumstances weren’t different, sorry doesn’t change anything. I got up and left the room before he could even finish what he wanted to say; I didn’t want to hear it because it was all bullshit. I knew what he was trying to do; everyone was apologizing so I would forget about what was going on and wouldn’t care that I was a lonely little girl again. They wanted me to move on and find someone new; they all wanted me to go back to Dominic only because he didn’t have a family they hated. Hell, Dominic didn’t have any family at all, which was a definite plus for them because they didn’t have to worry about anyone fucking them over.

 

 

Three or so weeks after everything happened I got a phone call at 4 in the morning, I just happened to be knocked out in my room at my dad’s house.

 

“Hello?”

“Were you sleeping?”

“No, actually I was just about to head out the door to go on my daily 5 mile run.”

“Sorry.”

“Who the hell is this?” I didn’t check the caller ID on my cell phone before answering it. But when I did check it said ‘Private’. I hate prank phone calls.

“Justin.” That made me sit right up.

“Where the hell are you Justin?”

“I’m back home in Memphis. I needed to get away Lani, I can’t be there anymore.”

“I don’t even know what to say to you.”

“Don’t say anything. I just wanted to hear your voice, it’s been a while.” I laid back down in my bed and pulled the covers back over me and started to drift back to sleep when he finally spoke again.

“What if we ran away?”

“Excuse me?” I was trying to hold in my yawn, but it escaped so I wasn’t really sure if he heard me.

“Yeah, I mean, what if we leave New York and start over somewhere together? We don’t even have to be a couple Lani, I just need to be with you and that’s not possible living so close to family.”

“Are you high Justin?”

“I believe that is your job.”

“Har har. We can’t just up and leave everything, do you know the size of the search party my dad would send out if I just vanished like you have? Not only would he kill me when I was found, he’d kill you, chop you up, put you in a box and then place you on your father’s doorstep with a rose attached.”

“Ouch.”

“Yeah ouch. You’re crazy Justin.”

“I’m crazy for you. Everyone has told me to stay away; if I cared about you like I claim I do I’d stay away and let the both of us live our lives, but I can’t do that. I thought trying to date down here would help me move on but it hasn’t; these bitches down here don’t compare to you and no one ever will as far as I’m concerned. I know you live by loyalty and all that other bullshit you’ve got inked on you but couldn’t you at least think about it before saying no?”

“What is there to think about? You’re asking me to leave everything here and move away somewhere with you so we can be away from the bullshit that’s going on.”

“There’s shit going on?” His voice was worried, and I didn’t blame him.

“Yeah Justin. Your dad had a fit once you didn’t turn up and he thinks it’s my fault that you left. The hostility between our families has gotten so much worse, one of my dad’s soldiers got killed the other day when he was casing our yard to make sure it was safe for Gianni and I to walk from the door to my car to go grocery shopping. Clearly it wasn’t safe for us to leave.”

“You can’t even go grocery shopping without being watched?”

“Did you expect anything other than that? Everywhere I go, Massimo goes with me. I get my own personal bodyguard like I’m some sort of celebrity. It’s everything I’ve ever dreamed of.” I was hoping he could sense the sarcasm through my tiredness. I guess I was talking too loud because I heard footsteps come from the direction of my father’s room and saw two feet stop outside my door. Before he could turn the knob I let Justin know I had to go.

 

“Shit. Justin my dad heard me talking to you. I gotta go. Bye.” I hung up just in time for the door to swing open to reveal my dad.

“Who the hell are you talking to this late?”

“One of my friends called when they were drunk. Sorry I woke you up. Go back to bed.” He didn’t protest; I wasn’t even sure that he was awake to begin with. But as he closed the door I suddenly wasn’t tired anymore.

 

Justin’s idea to leave started to sound intriguing to me. I started to wonder what it’d be like to ‘be on the run’. I wondered if my dad would even really look for me with everything that was going on. I thought about how Gianni would feel if I had walked out on him, I would be doing the same thing my mother did, leaving her family when they needed her the most. But Gianni was going back to boarding school soon, he would rarely be home which meant he didn’t need me to be around him, which left me in the house virtually alone. What do you do when you’re stuck between a rock and a hard place?

 

And Then She's Gone.. by tda720
Author's Notes:
Sorry bout the delay. Here's the next chapter, it's not much but it's something, right? Let me know what you think!

My mom, step-dad, grandparents and I were sitting at the table eating dinner when we heard the doorbell ring; it wasn’t out of the ordinary that people in the neighborhood stopped by so no one thought anything of the interruption. Paul got up to answer the door and came back a few minutes later with someone I didn’t expect. I glanced over at the doorway from talking to my Granny and saw Lani standing there next to Paul.

 

“Lani?” She had changed since I last saw her; her burgundy and blonde hair was now raven black and it looked like she gained a little bit of weight, not that I was complaining (more cushion for the pushin’ am I right?).

“Hey, sorry if I’m interrupting I can go back to my hotel.”

“Nonsense honey. Justin’s friends are welcomed here all day everyday. Are you hungry dear, we just started eating. I can fix you a plate.” I looked over at my mom who was beaming and rushing over to Lani to usher her into the empty seat next to me.

“I’d like that Mrs. Harless, thank you.”

“Please, call me Lynn.” My mom put a plate down in front of Lani and we continued on with dinner. When everyone was done I took Lani up to my room to catch up.

 

“I can’t believe you found me.” I laid down on my bed and motioned for her to do the same.

“Well once you said you were home I figured I’d ask Trace exactly where home is. If you didn’t want me to find out where you were you might have wanted to keep that to yourself considering I’m friends with the boy who grew up down the street.”

“No I’m glad you came, I just wasn’t expecting you to show up a month later.”

“Well Gianni just went back to school, so I figured it’d be perfect timing to get away.”

“How’d you manage to get down here?”

“I told the Don, by the way that’s what me and Gianni call my dad these days for fun; anyways I told him that I was going to visit some friends in ATL. Then I hopped on a train and here I am. I actually took a detour to Atlanta and saw my mom for a few days, or else I would have been down here four or five days sooner.” I turned her body towards mine and raised my eyebrows.

“How’d that go?”

“Better than I thought. We talked for a while about everything that’s been going on and cleared things up a little bit from my childhood. Surprisingly she supports what I’m doing right now; for once in her life she supports me and it oddly feels great.”

“What is it that you’re doing exactly?”

“Getting away with you and moving on with my life.” I couldn’t resist kissing her. It had been a very long time since I had been this close to a female (other than Granny and my mom) and I couldn’t help but give into craving the feeling of her lips on mine.

 

“What was that for?” I shrugged my shoulders and smiled at her.

“I haven’t kissed you in a long time, and I needed it, badly Lani.”

It was weird getting back into the swing of things down in Memphis; I ended up getting a job soon after Lani came down working at Black Diamond on Beale Street at night. I was getting tired of sitting around all day doing nothing while everyone else was at work; my mom ended up finding Lani a job as a nanny for one of her coworkers, which meant that I was alone during the day, again.

 

 

A week or two after Lani got down to Millington, I pulled into the driveway of my mom’s house and saw a car that I wasn’t really familiar with sitting behind the used car Lani bought, so I was confused about who was at the house. When I got out of my car and headed up the steps I heard heated yelling coming from inside the house. Immediately I figured something was wrong; Lani was supposed to be at work and she didn’t really know anyone around here for someone to be in the house with her.

 

“I really don’t know how the fuck you found me Carmine but I suggest you leave. I can’t go back there.”

“Leave? I’m not leaving unless you’re coming with me. Your father is fucking livid that you came down here to be with that fucking asshole. Get your shit and let’s go.” I saw from the storm door that he had grabbed her arm pretty hard and was dragging her towards suitcases that were in the living room. But Carmine stopped walking when he saw me through the open front door.

 

“There a problem here?” I walked into the living room and looked back and forth from the two.

“Daddy found out I’m here and not in Atlanta. I’m not sure how, but he sent this dickhead to come down here and bring me back home.”

“You’re a grown ass woman Melania. I don’t think that you should be taking orders from your father anymore.”

“I don’t think you have any place in this to be telling her who she should and shouldn’t take orders from Timberlake.”

“It’s Harless actually, thanks.”

“You, are a Timberlake whether you like it or not. You are filthy and your family will get what’s coming to them. Pick your shit up Melania and put it in the car while your little boyfriend and I have a little chat.” Lani did as she was told and got the bags that she came with and put them in the rental car Carmine had driven. I watched as she hung her head and tried to fight back any tears that were about to fall.

 

“I don’t know why you’re so fucking smitten with Melania here, but it stops today. Got it?”

“I’m not her Carmine; I don’t take orders from people. Sorry.”

“I’m not giving you an order. If you haven’t noticed we don’t get along well with people who aren’t our kind. Is your family Italian?” I couldn’t believe he had just said that; people of “his” kind? Did her family think that they were some sort of superior race? And how did that work out when Lani’s mom was black?

I couldn’t even shake my head no before he answered for me, “I didn’t think so asshole. Take a look around, we don’t take kindly to people who try to penetrate into our family that aren’t initially apart of it.” Who the hell was this guy kidding?

“Hey Carmine, I hate to bust your fucking bubble here, but last time I checked your last name wasn’t Violano either. So how the fuck did you get in with the family?” He didn’t say anything and just looked at Melania as she came back into the house.

“Check your surroundings,” if he told me to take a look around and check my surroundings one more time I was going to check him, “anyone who’s Italian in this room step forward.” Carmine took a step in my direction, but Lani stayed still not really sure about what was going on. “Hm, I didn’t see you step forward Timberlake. It don’t matter if my last name isn’t Violano. Yours will never be, and hers,” he pointed sharply over to Lani, “will never be Timberlake. Or Harless, whatever the fuck you call yourself.”

 

And with that, as soon as she had come back into my life, she was gone. I couldn’t believe that she let him just snatch her up like that without putting up a bigger fight; that was not the Lani that I knew, so where had she gone? Why was she so quick to crumble under the hands of someone who held no authority over her?

 

Better yet, what did I miss while I was lollygagging out in my car trying to figure out who was there? What had been done or said that cracked her hard exterior and made her into a softie? There was really only one way to find out; and that was to suck it up and head back to my second home. New York City here I come.

Author's Note by tda720

Okay, so here's the deal with this story; I completely drew a blank with what's going to happen in the saga of Melania, Justin, and their dysfunctional families, so (even though I'm sure some of you already assumed) I'm on a hiatus from this story for a while until my brain fart lifts.

Thanks to everyone who has reviewed and said good things, and thanks to everyone who's new to reading the story (I see the numbers go up a small amount everyday). Hopefully this won't last long

This story archived at http://nsync-fiction.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=293