Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everyone! I hope you're all enjoying your December! It seems like it's flying by. Heres another chapter. I hope you're all still enjoying this. Be sure to reveiw!
A Million Faces in a Crowd
Chapter 13.

Carly stood at the doorway of JC’s bedroom with her cell phone squeezed tightly in her hand. She watched her bedmate sleep on and bit her lip in deep thought. After returning her call from last night, she was a little hesitant to tell JC the news but nervously excited all at the same time. Pushing her thoughts aside, she tiptoed back over to the side of the bed she slept on and crawled under the covers, curling up beside him. She stared at JC for a second, as she often had when she woke before him. Moving closer, she laid her head on his shoulder and his arms immediately came around her, holding her close to his heart.

Big eyelashes cracked slightly, announcing he was now awake. Running a gentle hand up and down Carly’s back, his lips came down to kiss the tip of her nose softly.

“Morning babe.” he smiled sleepily, rolling her on her back and coming over her.

Carly smiled, welcoming the sweet weight of him as she laughed when he wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. “Good morning pervert.” She laughed as his smile turned into a frown and he began to tickle her ribs.

He laughed along with her before stopping and sitting up, straddling her thighs. “I am not a pervert!” he defended, smirking down at her when she rolled her eyes. “I can’t help it if this sexy woman is in my bed when I wake up, smelling all seductive with her silky skin all pressed up against me.”

Carly’s heart skipped a beat as she pulled his head down and kissed him, her lips softly caressing his until he became a full participant. When she pulled back gasping for air, she touched his cheek softly. “I know Jace. I was just kidding. I’m sorry I said it.”

He moved to lay down beside her, propping his head up on his elbow and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear in a tender gesture. “Don’t worry about it. You’re already forgiven.”

“You’re amazing.”

There was no cocky smirk or gloating in his comment. “You are too babe.”

Grabbing the hand that was making slow circles on her stomach, Carly reached up to lace her fingers with his. “So what’s on the agenda for today?”

“I don’t have a lot going on. I might have to make a couple calls and spend a little bit in my home studio but other then that, my day is pretty flexible. Anything in particular you want to do?”

“LA is such a big place. I don’t know where to start.”  

“Well what are some of your favorite things?” He questioned.
Carly thought for a moment. “I’m up for anything. I just love seeing new places, I love art, I’ve always wanted to-.”

JC stopped her before explaining quickly. “Art? That’s right! Would you want to go to a museum, maybe?”

Carly’s ears perked up and smiled. “That’d be great, Jace!”

JC sat up, smiling and pulling her along with him. “I know just the place to take you if that’s where you’d like to go, honey.”

“Yes, I want to go with you.” Carly smiled shyly, nodding her head as she got up and went for the far corner of the spacious bedroom, glancing down at the generous view of California. JC came up behind her, wrapping his arms tightly against her chest and resting his chin on her shoulder.

She snuggled in his welcoming embrace, relishing in the feel of him and the warm solitude he provided for her. Her time in LA was something she feared she was becoming addicted to.

****

Carly stood in front of a painting, staring intently as JC stood beside her. He glanced over at her delicate features, and took her in dressed in low rise jeans and a  white halter top, and rocking her usual flip flops. Her arms were crossed over each other, face relaxed but brows scrunched up in deep thought. To him, she’d never looked sexier.

He took a step closer to her, tentatively brushing his arm with hers. She turned to smile but went back to the painting. He followed suit for moment, taking in the colors and brush textures, trying to take in what she was seeing. The picture was simple, with no real specified object in but it showed colors blended in all different directions, taking in a soft wave-like affect. Each portion of the painting was separated with some type of shape to outline it and a bold black coloring to make them stand out. The artist chose bright, valiant colors, not favoring any one in particular. Some meshed together, and others stood alone. To top it off, they’d used black to swirl aimlessly around the painting and it seemed to draw out everything in just the right way. It said a lot to JC and he could finally appreciate it for what it was.

Biting his lip, JC finally turned to Carly. “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?”

She turned to him, her eyes a deep color of green, her lips upturned in a bright smile. Carly nodded once. “It’s amazing. I know it’s simple but I can’t stop staring at it. I’m not quite sure what it is but it makes me feel at peace. At home almost.”

“You’re right. Sometimes the simplest things have the most beauty in them. People just don’t take the time to look.”

Carly grinned again, and nodded,  going back to the painting. “Amen to that. I like how none of the colors have specific spot. It’s like the artist took pride in the fact he or she could put whatever color she was feeling wherever she wanted but while doing that, everything became some sort of a puzzle and somehow in the end, it all came together.”

“Yes. And the fact that they outlined each shape, it looks like your staring at something specific but your not. It’s all how you see it and what your take of it is.”

“That’s the beauty of art. With it there’s no rules, no specifications. It’s your take of it. You paint the story, and in the end, it’s your feelings, your love.”

JC’s pinkie finger immediately found it’s way to Carly’s, looping it around hers and softly pulling her towards him. He smiled down at her, his eyes glowing brightly on hers, his face serious but his emotions full of so much. “How do you do that, sweetheart?”

She looked up at him, her eyes wide. “Do what?”

“What you just said, the things you say. They’re so expressive, so powerful.”

She shrugged her shoulders. “I only say what I think and feel Jace. I don’t know any different.”

He smiled before he leaned down and took her lips with his in the most tender gesture Carly had ever witnessed. His lips were soft, a gentle brush meshing with her skin. Worrying if she’d reject his public display of affection, he relaxed when he felt her do the same as her body relaxed against him. Once he pulled back, his thumb came to her cheekbone where it rested before going back to her hand. “You’re beautiful Carly Piper. Intellectually, physically, artistically, you’re just beautiful.”

Carly smiled shyly and turned her head quickly, not meeting his gaze. She didn’t know how to take such a compliment. His words stuck her soul deep and suddenly it was hard to swallow. Not knowing how to will away her feelings, she tried to calm her breathing and push aside that rare sting she felt burn the back of her eyes. JC noted her sudden quietness and turned her face towards his to see her green eyes shining with tears.

Not knowing this side of her, he chose his next steps carefully. Her fingers were still laced with his, though her grip had loosened considerably. “Babe?”

JC looked helpless and worried at the same time. It had been some time since he’d dealt with this side of women.  Her grip on his large soft hand suddenly tightened as she swallowed and reached up on her tip toes to kiss him back. “Thank you JC. No ones said something like that to me in a long time. I didn’t know how to take it.”

“You sure you’re okay?”

She turned to continue across the room of the art museum, tugging his blue jean and black t-shirt clad body in her wake, smiling up at him, but not letting go of his hand. “I’m great Jace. Just great.”

He winked at her in return, before turning his attention the next display of art on the wall. “That you are Carly. That you are.”

***
“Are you sure you’ll be alright?” JC looked at Carly hesitantly. She laughed and shook her head.

“Yes Jace. I’ll be fine. I’m a big girl. I’m sure I can entertain myself while you’re in the studio.”

“If you’re sure..”

“I’m fine! Go get some work done. I already feel like I’ve kept you from working since I’ve been here for the past week. Don’t make me feel any worse or I’ll escape while you’re gone.”

“I want to spend time with you babe. And you haven’t been keeping me from anything. And you better not leave. I like having you here. I like spending time with you.” He bussed her forehead tenderly.

“I like being here.” Carly smiled, welcoming his tender display of affection.

“Good. You’re welcome to the pool. I have video games and stuff and I’m sure Tyler would let you kick his ass if he’s around somewhere. You could lay out and read, take a nap, work on your song writing-.”

“JACE!” Carly yelled, stopping his tirade. She laughed and shook her head before walking over to him and kissing him deeply. When she pulled away, they were both gasping. “I told you I’d be fine. Now go get something done!”

“I’d rather stay here and do more of that.” He winked before dipping his head down for another kiss. Carly readily accepted but pulled back when he tried to deepen it. JC stood their, his features reading the look of a pout.

“Don’t make me get feisty.” Carly warned.

JC threw his head back and laughed. “You’re right. We don’t want Miss Sassy pants to make another appearance.” He turned and began to walk in the direction of his studio before calling over his shoulder. “I’ll be back.”

“Good! It’s about time!” Carly muttered. She turned to walk away before she heard his voice echo throughout the big house.

“I heard that!”

She laughed and shook her head. Some time alone was starting to sound better by the second.

***

JC walked down the hallway to the sound of two voices talking back and forth and the sounds of feet constantly hitting the floor. He stood against one wall, looking over at his friend and couldn’t help but laugh.

“I should have known you two would find some kind of a ruckus to get into.” JC mused.

Tyler quickly glanced at his brother. “Dude, she’s kicking my ass, I can’t talk right now.”

Carly didn’t look away from the TV once, as she concentrated hard on the game and the Wii controller in her hand, throwing her fist forward when she needed to.

“Looks like you’re about to lose for the second time in a row there buddy.”

Tyler’s face contoured up in annoyance. “Whatever. You’re going down in like six seconds.”

“If you say so. I’m counting.” Carly turned sideways and took one big swing with her left hand before she turned to face him, smiling brightly.

JC snickered from the background. “You got beat by a girl Ty. You officially suck!”

“Shut up! She’s a rare kind or she played in the Wii Olympics or some shit. She cheated! It’s the only explanation.”

Carly turned wide eyes. “I do NOT cheat thank you very much. Suck it up.”

Tyler laughed, sticking out his hand. “Truce?”

Carly’s palm met his. “Truce.”  She turned and walked towards JC, taking in his attire and noting that he had added a thick black hooded sweatshirt to his slim body. “I’ll never understand why people in California wear hoodies. It’s like hotter then the sun out there.”

JC laughed. “It’s cold in the studio, thank you very much.”

She shook her head, trying to sound convinced. “How did working go?”

He cuffed her cheek softly. “It went well. Tyler keep you entertained for a while?”

“Yes Jace. He was actually playing it already when I came in here. I told you I’d be fine.”

“I never doubted you, sassy pants.”

Tyler looked at the two confused. “Sassy pants? Do I even want to know?”

Carly’s cheeks turned red but JC was quick to defend. “This girl has different side to her. She looks all sweet and innocent but at the drop of a dime she can turn into a sassy little thing.”

“Don’t I just know it.” Tyler laughed.

“Since when did this turn into a bash Carly party?” She scoffed.

“It’s not, babe. Ty just needs explanations for everything.”

“Whatever. I’m going to shower. I’m meeting some friends later.” Tyler muttered.

“Bye!” JC and Carly both called together, watching him leave the room.

“So are you done or do I need to find something new to do?” Carly questioned.

“I’m just waiting for Matt to leave and then I’m free to dazzle you with my entertaining abilities.” He winked.

“Matt?”

“A friend of mine who I’ve been working with. He was saving and shutting things down in the studio, then he’ll head out.”

“Oh, okay.” Carly nodded.

She moved to shut the TV and video came off and put things back to how they were suppose to be. It wasn’t long before another voice boomed into the living room.

“I’m all set Josh. I’ll see you next month?”

JC nodded, shaking the other mans hand. “Yeah, I’ll be there. Let me introduce you to my good friend, songwriter, producer, ect, ect, this is Carly Piper. Carly, Matt Miller”

She walked over and extended her hand to the blonde man standing next to JC. “Nice to meet you.”

“You also. I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“All good I hope?” She raised an eyebrow at JC.

He threw his hands up in defeat and Matt smiled. “Yes, only good. JC thinks very highly of you. He says you’re from Chicago?”

“Yes. Born and raised.”

“I grew up in Evanston.”

Carly smiled. “I’ve got tons of family there.”

Matt returned the gesture. “Small world, eh?”

“You could say that. Anyways, I hate to cut this short but I’ve got somewhere to be soon. Carly, it was wonderful meeting you. Hopefully I’ll see you again sometime. Josh, I’ll be in touch.”

JC nodded and watched as he walked out the door. He turned back to Carly, tugging her against his side and placing a kiss on her neck.

“Now I have you all to myself.” He whispered, feeling her melt against him.

“What would you like to do now, Joshua?” Carly used the name Matt had called him cautiously. She had assumed that‘s what his initials stood for. She was introduced to JC so she preferred calling him that until he told her differently.

“Well, that is my real name. You can call me that, you know.” He said as he walked them over to the big leather couch before stretching out, pulling Carly down beside him.

“I figured. Good to know.” Carly said as she tucked an errant curl behind her ear. “Your hoodie is soft.”

JC nodded. “It is. I love it. So, want to watch a movie?”

“That sounds nice. You look like you’re about to fall asleep though.”

“I am kind of beat for some reason.”

“Take a nap. I’m a big girl. I can watch a movie by myself.”

He stretched a little, kicking off his shoes till they hit the floor. “You could nap with me.”

Carly sat up a little, looking him square in the eye. “We always end up ‘sleeping’ together. Don’t you find this a little weird?

JC suddenly looked hurt by her confession. “I like having you next to me when I sleep. Call me a girl or ultra-sensitive. I don’t know what it is Carly. But in answer to your question, no I don’t think it’s weird. It’s not like we’re some random strangers, using each other to just mess around with. I care about you.”

Carly automatically regretted her words. Instead of arguing, she smiled and lay her head on his shoulder, snuggling into his welcoming embrace,  before grabbing the remote control off the coffee table. “Me too, Jace.”

He smiled and pulled a blanket off the back of the couch and covered them up with it before closing his eyes, listening to the sounds of Carly flipping through the channels. On the brink of becoming fully asleep, he was awakened by sound of Carly’s cell phone buzzing in her pocket. She reached for it frantically, and he wondered if she was eagerly awaiting a call or if she was trying to prevent waking him.
She quickly peeled herself away from his grasped and immediately missed the warmth he provided. Walking into the closest room with privacy, Carly hopped up on a bar stool in the kitchen and answered her phone, holding her breath at the thought of who was at the other end.

Moments later, JC had stumbled into the kitchen, rubbing a hand over his tiered face, trying to wake from his near sleep state. He spotted Carly sitting at the island, staring at her phone blankly. That didn’t seem right. He figured when she was done speaking to whomever, she’d come back and lay with him. He missed her beside him.

Shaking her from her thoughts, JC moved to sit behind her, one hand going to her shoulder. “Everything alright?”

Carly jumped at the feel of his hand. He began rubbing her back once he realized his appearance had startled her. “I- yeah. Just thinking.”

“Care to share or is it a secret?”

“Remember when my phone rang the other night?” she continued once he nodded. “It was Max.”

“That’s a good thing, right?”

Carly shrugged, going back to starting across the room. She took a deep breath, fiddling with her fingers before going on. “They want me to work with some up and coming acoustic singer. Max said my lyrics and style would be perfect for him.”

JC’s brows furrowed in confusion. “Did I miss something? Shouldn’t you be ecstatic, babe?”

“They want me to go to London, Jace.”

His face was somber for a second. Wanting her to succeed at her fullest potential but also knowing it’d put even more distance between them. Regardless of an official title, JC knew it was going to hurt when she left and he wasn’t looking forward to it.

“Wow. How long?”

“They said up to a month.”

“And you don’t want to go?”

Carly turned sad eyes on him. “I don’t know what I want. Would I be any good over there? Would I survive by myself?”

JC grabbed her hand and kissed her knuckles softly. “You’ll never know unless you try, babe. You’ve got to give it a shot. You’re so talented and something this big could really take your songwriting places. Big places.”

She nodded, not wanting to confess that she was going to miss him the most. That had she been offered a gig in LA, it would have kept her where she wanted to be for the moment. “You’re right. I guess I’ll call him back in a little bit and tell him I’ll do it.”

JC gave her a sad, reassuring smile. “You’ll do great Carly. You’ve got talent. Use it like you should.”

“Thanks Jace. You’re great to me.”

He smiled happily, accepting her compliment. “Like wise Carly. Go make you’re phone call. I’ll be in my office when you’re done. Maybe we can go get dinner or something later.”

She smiled, grateful for his constant kindness that never seemed to end. Never once did she picture herself in his house in LA, spending days and nights here with him, enjoying his company and dreading leaving him. “Sounds good.”

***

Twenty minutes later, Carly found JC sitting at the desk in his office, glasses perched on his nose starting intently at his laptop. Her heart stopped dead in her tracks at the gorgeous picture he made. Something about men in glasses seemed to draw her to them. He looked intelligent and down right stunning. Sliding up behind him, she looped her arms around his neck and breathed in the scent of him. He turned towards her, smiling in response and placing a quick kiss on her cheek.

“How’d it go?”

“Good I suppose. I wasn’t expecting to leave so soon. I’ve got to go back home though. I need clothes and my guitar and what not.”

He tried to keep a straight face. “How soon?”

“I’ll have to leave tomorrow night at the latest to go back home. Then they want me in London at by Friday at the latest.”

JC nodded and stood, closing his laptop and gathering some papers. He lay his glasses down and when he turned around, Carly was standing right in front of him. He looked at her, confused.

“Keep the glasses on.”

He turned back to them and placed them back on his face. “Why?” Carly moved her body closer to his until he pumped into the back of the desk, his papers falling to the floor.

“Because. They make you look hot.”

He smiled, pulling her against him, his hands going to rest on her hips. “You think I’m hot, eh?”

Carly nodded and began kissing his neck. “You know you’re hot. Don’t lie to me.”  JC stared back at her, looking doubtful.

“Uh, I don’t think of myself as ‘hot’.”

She pulled back, pulling his face in her hands, kissing him slowly. “Well, you should. You Mr., are without a doubt hot, sexy, gorgeous. You name it.”

“Carly stop. I’m going to turn red.”

She shook her head, her hands moving up to run through his hair, holding him still. “These are things guys need to know.”

His fingers moved up to rest on the thin line of skin that was exposed by her t-shirt, feeling the warmth of it. “What do I owe this praise fest?”

Carly snuggled up against him, as close as she could be as her arms went around his neck and her head rested just below it. Her lips moved against his skin as she spoke. “I just thought you should know, because it’s true. And, well- I’m going to miss you.”

He stilled at her confession, finally feeling like they’d gotten somewhere in hearing her admit that. It was wonderful and scary all at the same time. He knew admitting this had to be hard for her. She’d thrown in the towel of her self-protecting shield she guarded herself with and in the time here, she let herself go and even if they were only small steps, she was starting to let her heart open to him. He wanted to look her in the eye but she didn’t move from her spot against his neck. With a gentle nudge, he held her face in her hands, his forehead brushing against hers. “I’m going to miss you too, babe. More than I can say.”

“This sucks. I didn’t expect to feel this way when I agreed to stay with you.”

He smiled and kissed the tip of her nose. “Are you sorry?”

She shook her head carefully, still leaning against him. “Nope. Just bummed. Maybe a little contemplative but that’s a common fixture in my brain. I’m always thinking, and over analyzing.”

“It’s not forever. Go to London. Experience this part of your life. You’ll know where to find me when you come back.”

“I don’t live in LA, Jace.” she looked away sadly but he quickly pulled her gaze back to his.

“Stop thinking so much. We’ll rearange the pieces another time. Just know if you need me, I’ll be here.”

Her eyes felt that familer sting again and Carly was beginning to wonder what it was about this man that made her show so much emotion. She wasn’t one who cried often. Very rarely in fact and the beginning frequency made her uneasy. Leaning forward, she kissed his lips sofly, letting hers linger until it became not enough and she felt his tounge brush the seam of her lips, asking for entry. She readily accepted his invasion, closing her eyes as he tasted her thoroughly. His hands gripped her jaw, his fingertips cool against her skin. Before it got out of hand, she pulled back but still keeping her forhead against his, trying to calm her breathing, and the tip of her nose touching his. She moved her fingers down to danced along the edge of his hoodie as she felt the skin benthe it quiver. “Put your arms up.” she commanded.

His eyes went wide. “Babe?”

She nipped at his jaw. “Just do it, Jace.” Finally obliging, he lifted his arms like she’d asked. In doing so, he felt Carly rid him of the hooded sweatshirt he had on. He shivered as his skin was hit with the suddenly cool air. He watched as Carly pulled the hoodie close to her as she inhaled it deeply. Smiling up at his fierce blue eyes and confused features, she kissed him once. “I’m taking this with me. If going to London is going to be a part of my life and or a piece of it, I’m taking a part of you with me.”

Her words delighted him, not expecting her to say that. In return, smiled brightly, placing a kiss on each of her eyelids. “Take it Carly. You’ll knock em’ dead. I just know it. And if it’s a piece of me you want, then I want you to have it.”

She smiled up at him, one lone tear finally sliding down her cheek before he quickly brushed it away. “You’re amazing Jace.”

Pulling her tightly against him, he could feel the deep thudding sound of her heart beating against his chest. Something new swept over him at that moment. How did one single confession make him feel on top of the world? Was he ready to give this thing a chance? Contemplating things were the last thing he wanted to do right now and he decided to live in the moment and enjoy what was now, and be hopeful for whatever may be. “My ego is about to explode here, but for the record, you Miss Piper, are amazing too.”


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc showersex jc producerjc