Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everyone! It's a new year (Happy late 2009), and I'm really excited to get a fresh start and continue working on this story. I'm still going back and forth with idea's but everything is starting to come together. I hope you all are still reading and of course reviewing. Anyways, heres another chapter. Sit tight, we'll get there :)
A Million Faces in a Crowd
Chapter 14.

JC had tried to keep busy since the day Carly had left L.A. He had also went through the mental arguments in his head, trying to tell himself that he really didn’t miss her as bad as he thought, but knew that theory was only a lie. His bed suddenly seemed too large for only himself after her departure and it always felt cold when he woke. He would see something and immediately think of her. Of how she’d smile and appreciate it or laugh when he knew she’d probably make some kind of sarcastic or witty comment that would have him shaking his head, trying not to laugh. He just missed her presence.

It had been a week since she had left LA and had planned on flying back home to Chicago and from their, to London, meaning she’d be had landed four days prior. Not wanting to nag, he tried to give her some space, or room to do what she needed but in the end, JC wanted to know she’d made it their safe and sound and that everything was working out according to plan but most of all, he just wanted to hear her voice. It was a Thursday afternoon, and JC had just left a local diner for a small business meeting, that his phone vibrated against his leg. He pulled it out of the pocket of his jeans and grinned as he looked at the sleek screen, identifying his caller.

“Hello.”

There was a short pause before he heard anything. “Hey Jace.”  JC could hear the exhaustion in her voice but it was happy at the same time.

“Hey babe. How is London’s newest addition of a songwriter?”

Carly laughed. “She’s alright. Busy as hell. I’m sorry I haven’t called sooner. It’s been nuts since I stepped off the plane.”

“Good, busy is good and it’s okay Carly. I knew you’d be a busy woman once you got there.”

She nodded even though he couldn‘t see her. “I have been. I mean, I knew it’d be like this. I guess I just wasn’t expecting it to hit so hard. We’ve literally been working non- stop since I got here. By some hands of fate, we finished early tonight I had to call you before I crashed.”

“I miss you too, honey.”  JC said as he pushed the button on his key ring and opened his car door before getting inside.

Carly was silent for a moment, making JC think she had hung up or they had lost connection but then gave out a soft desperate sound. “I do, Jace. More than I thought I would.”

He closed his eyes at the sound of her confession, breathing in deeply. “You didn’t think you’d miss me?” he tried to sound hurt, adding that little bit of theatrical drama to his voice.

Carly laughed and he could tell she was rolling her eyes as she often did when he acted like that. “It’s just, things are weird. I don’t mean I never thought I’d miss you at all JC. I just mean I got used to being with you LA. It’s kind of like a part of me is missing.”

JC’s heart skipped a beat at her confession. Was she saying what he hoped she was? “I know what you mean, Carly. The day you left, the house suddenly seemed empty. Even with Tyler here, it just-..it felt like it was missing someone.”

“Do we really want to do this to ourselves? I mean with the distance and everything? From what I’ve heard, it almost never works.”

“Don’t you think we owe it to each other to try?” Wow, this was harder than JC ever thought this phone call would be. Instead of filling the void, it tore at his heart strings.

Her answer came in a simple confirmation of agreement, her voice soft but sure. “Yes.”

“Good. It doesn’t hurt to try babe. No one said these kind of relationships were easy but I think we’re both level-headed enough to take things slow.”

“I have to agree with you on that.” Carly smiled, moving the phone to her other ear and cracking her neck, she changed the subject, her mind already in a whirl wind. “So what’s been going on since I left?”

“Nothing really to speak of. I had a business meeting just a little bit ago that went well. Ty and I went jet-sking the other day. Other then that, things have been kind of boring.”

“Leave it to you to say LA is boring.”

“Hey, I live here. I can’t help it.” he laughed. “Forget about me though. How’s the songs coming? Is this guy going to be a big hit?”

Carly tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear as she shuffled through her hotel room, searching for clothes to sleep in. “I hope so. He’s got a lot of potential and his voice could melt anyone in an ear shot. He has these cocky moments though that sometimes derail his heart throb appearance.”

JC laughed, picturing Carly ranting off all the pros and cons of this guy. “Cocky? Uh oh, better send the guy a memo. Carly Piper doesn’t do ‘cocky.’

“Psh, whatever Chasez. Who does? Nothing bothers me more then people who think their shit doesn’t stink but I don’t have to worry. I laid down the laws and we‘re cool.”

“So I’ve learned.” JC grinned, wishing he was there to see her facial expressions.

“Ugh. I know, I know. I’ll just go get back on my broomstick.”

JC let out a full laugh right then, missing the comfortable antics and jokes that he and Carly shared. For some reason, just talking to her seemed to brighten his day by a long shot. She brought a sense of sanity to his unsure place in the world. “I never said anything about a broomstick but if it’s handy…”

“You’re asking for it, Chasez.” Carly threatened, though her voice was laced with humor.

“Hmm, maybe I am.”

Carly let out a noise, half between a laugh and whatever sounds a person makes when they’re shocked by something. “Pervert.”

“Ha, so you say. I’m just kidding. Don’t deny you love me.”

Carly yawned and quickly maneuvered into her Pj’s. “Ok, I won’t.”

JC could tell she was indeed exhausted and what little guard she used like a shield was gone for the night. “I should let you go to sleep shouldn’t I?”

She tried to prevent another yawn, but had no luck hiding it. “No, you’re fine, Jace.”

“Sleep babe. We can talk another time. It‘s gotta be like, what time over there?”

Craning her neck to look back at the bedside alarm clock, she glanced at it through tired eyes. “11:49.”

“That’s early? Sleep, please. We’ll talk soon, I promise. Text me, e-mail me, leave me a voicemail if I don’t answer. Just-.” He hesitated for a second, choosing his words carefully. “Let me know how you are.” The last part ended in a mere whisper.

“I will Jace. Same goes for you. If you need anything, let me know.”

He smiled, his breath hitching slightly. “Alright. Now sleep.”

“Okay. Night.”

“Night honey.” JC waited for what seemed like forever, thinking she was still there and thinking he’d be perfectly content to just sit there and listen to her breath as she slept. Wow, he had it bad, he thought. All these romantic notions were slowly creeping into his brain and taking over his thoughts. He wondered when Carly had become such a big part of his life but as he scanned over the moments rewinding all the way back to the first day he met her, he couldn’t pin point just one. Each one of them held something special, something that had built up to right then and there. He was slowly falling.

****

Carly walked into the room that she felt like she’d spent most of her life in, in the past few days but this morning, her step was lighter and her body felt relaxed. She couldn’t prevent the smile that met her lips and the light flutter she got in her chest when she recalled her conversation with JC last night. He’d become her solitude and her little bit of sanity no matter where she was. She’d come to find peace in his arms and his kind words of encouragement. Opening the door, she walked in and saw Gavin sitting on the couch, guitar in his arms and keyboard to the left of him, dressed in his usual jeans and vintage looking tight t-shirt. His blonde hair swept sideways over his head and fanned his rugged face.

“Morning.” he greeted her, as he tipped his head up to smile.

“Morning to you, too.”

“You’re in a chipper mood. I take it stopping early last night had it’s benefits?”

Carly nodded, throwing her folders and notebooks on the desk in the corner. “Yes. I needed sleep like it was going out of style. I’m still adjusting to the time change though. I think it’s going to take me a while.”

Gavin nodded. “You’ll get used to it.”

“You’re right. So what are we starting with today?”  She took a seat in front of him.

“I’m in a mood. Feel like writing something dark-ish?”

Carly laughed and studied him. “Dark eh? Everything alright?”

Gavin continued to strum his guitar aimlessly. “Yeah. Just stuck in a funk. Everyone likes a musical change.”

“Well then, let’s see if we can come up with something and begin my session of Musical Therapy 101.”

Gavin laughed but his face suddenly fell. “I probably shouldn’t ask but this is driving me nuts. When a girl says ‘we need to talk’, that’s a bad thing right?”

Carly looked surprised by his question but thought about it. “Not necessarily. Is this a girlfriend of a wife?”

“Fiancé.”

“It could be something small. I wouldn’t worry about it. Did you do something wrong?”

Gavin laughed, putting his guitar beside him. He reached for his bottle of water before taking a drink quickly. “Why does everyone assume guys are always to blame?” He laughed and rolled his eyes. “But no. I don’t think I did anything. I don’t think this distance thing helps though. I just hope she’s not giving up on me. I love the hell out of her.”

“I wouldn’t worry. Why don’t you call her and find out?”
He shook his head and picked his guitar back up. “I will later, when she’s awake probably.” He laughed and looked at Carly weird. “I’m here to work and I’m feeling musical. Let’s make a future number one hit, Carly Piper!”

She laughed, pulling out her notebook and a pen and turned to a blank page. “Ok, let’s do this.”

***

Carly took a seat in the small booth of the coffee shop, slowly sipping her steaming Carmel latte. She looked out the big glass windows and took in the sites of London. It was the first time since she’d arrived that she could actually stop and take it all in. Thankfully, Gavin had directed her to a little coffee shop right down on the corner from where they were working, assuring her that she wouldn’t get lost.

She watched as people walked on, taking in the gorgeous weather and was almost a little jealous she couldn’t get out and experience it. She wondered what it’d be like to spend a day, or a weekend taking in all the sites and visiting all the major attractions. Carly wondered what it’d be like to spend that time with JC, asking herself if he’d like it. Not being able to prevent it, she smiled thinking of him. It was then she became just a little home sick. Carly missed Chicago, hoping that her loft was still in one piece and that Cameron was keeping to her word and stopping in for house sitting visits. She missed the comfort of her own bed and sitting on the balcony late at night weather it’d be to write, paint or just to think.

Her thoughts drifted to what JC was up to at that very moment. Almost betting her he was hauled up in his studio, making music or mixing a track for some other artist that would walk out looking like a rock star thanks to his endless talents and amazing lyrical musings. Glancing at her watch, Carly almost laughed when she realized it was almost two a.m. his time and he’d without a doubt be in bed. The empty feeling didn’t seem to settle when she thought of him. If she was there, she’d no doubt be tucked under his chin asleep with him as his arms were wrapped tightly around her, making her feel safe and loved.

Hearing her cell vibrate in her purse, she pulled it out and opened it quickly, a smile immediately tugging her lips into a smile. Clicking the okay button, she read the text message.

“Got a big hit, yet?”

She text back, her fingers roaming the key pad quickly. “90% done. Just taking a break down the street. Shouldn’t you be sleeping?”

She waited eagerly for the screen to light up again. “I knew you could do it, babe. And I can’t sleep. I’ve tried. Just laying here, attempting to watch TV.”

Her face fell. JC could sleep during a tornado coming through his bedroom. “Why can’t you sleep, Jace?”

“Not sure. I think my beds missing a sweet warm lady in it.”
Carly laughed, her breath hitching slightly. He had become so care free with his words. It was as if he no longer feared her running off. They’d met in the middle at that silent agreement of where they stood, still she couldn’t resist the urge to mess with him. “Your girlfriend away for the night?”

She could almost see the look on his face, wishing she was right there to laugh as he rolled his eyes and tried to keep straight face. “She’s out of the country, making music that’s going to top the charts.”

Carly’s eyes got wide, suddenly feeling like the tiny coffee shop had swallowed her up whole and it was hard to breath. She didn’t know how to respond. Carly not being able to think of a comeback? That almost never happened but this, this- had never been said before, never had been confirmed yet it meant so much. She shifted in her seat chewed the inside of her jaw in thought. How the hell did one respond to that? He’d just confirmed what she had wondered all along but didn’t have the courage to solidify. She still didn’t have the guts to make the words meet her lips. It made everything so ‘official.’ She sat their, for another second before responding. “You have a girlfriend out of the country?”

Taking a sip from her drink, she waited for his response. It didn’t take long to receive it, knowing he probably laughed and rolled his eyes. “Oh, so that’s the game we’re going play, huh?”

“Okay, I’ll stop. This is all too new. I’m not sure how to fill in the blanks.”

“Don’t over-think it Carly. Just take it for what it is, for what we are.”

It was then Carly wished they could have been having this conversation face to face. “Okay, your right. I’ll stop. I do miss you. I wish I were there to curl up next to you.”

“See, that wasn’t so hard. I miss you too, a lot. And curl up next to me, eh? Is that all?”

Carly laughed knowing he made those comments simply just to get a come back from her. It had become a carefree joke between the two of them. “Always the pervert, Chasez.”

“I’m a guy and I can’t help it if my girlfriend is sexy.”

Shaking her head, she pictured JC laying in bed, unable to sleep, lonely and a little horny. It was almost to much to picture. In the end, she knew this thing between them was so much more. “This is hard, Jace.”

“I know it is babe. How long are they keeping you there?”


She scanned the cobwebs in her mind quickly, trying to remember if they’d given her a time frame. “I’m not sure. We’ve finalized two, almost three tracks. Then comes the recording. I want to say another two weeks at the least.”

“I’ll be here waiting. Any longer, I might have to fly out there and kidnap you.”

Carly smiled, thinking of exactly what she’d do if he showed up there. “I might let you if it gets to be too long. Getting tiered yet?”

“I think I’m getting there. Thanks for talking with me.”

“You’re welcome, Jace. Anytime.”

“I guess I’ll let you go. Go get your lyrical-write-on.”


Laughing, she wrote him back with one hand while trying to drink her coffee with the other. It proved to be more difficult then she expected. “Goodnight Jace.” She honestly didn’t predict her fingers would go as far as they did but the words seemed to come out on the small keypad so effortlessly. “I love you.”

Her cell phone lit up in what seemed like seconds, her heart pounding at the reality of what she’d just said. They’d used the endearment before but both knew this time, it meant so much more. “I love you, too babe. Goodnight.”  

Carly stared for what seemed like hours, at her phone until she closed it and picked up her bag and her drink before exiting the small coffee shop. Her feet seemed to nearly bounce off the sidewalk as she walked back to the studio. She was making her way down the hallway, ready to get back to work when her phone rang, stirring her out of her JC-filled reverie. Snapping it up quickly, she had a hunch it might be JC, still not able to sleep but the voice that spoke proved her guess was false.

“Carly? It’s Tyler. I’m really sorry to bother you but I wanted to talk with you for a second. Are you busy?”

She peeked through the door, not seeing any sign of Gavin yet. “Yeah, I’ve got a second. Is everything okay?”

“Yeah, everything is fine. I just have a favor to ask you.”

****


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc showersex jc producerjc