Author's Chapter Notes:
*Note: This is all fiction. I don't own JC, nor am I associated with him in any way shape or form. I do however own the other characters in this story. This story isn't to be used without my permission.
A Million Faces in a Crowd
Chapter 1.

Carly Piper glanced in the mirror one more time before taking a deep breath and wiping her sweaty hands on her jeans. Tucking her hair behind her ears in nervous habit, she tried to stand tall. She'd done this hundreds of times. Why tonight was any different, she had no idea. Glancing at her watch, she was confirmed the time by a knock on the door. Before she could open it, a familiar face popped in.

"Carly, you're on in ten girl!" Avery smiled as he made his way towards her. "Don't be nervous. You're a pro at this!"

Carly gave him a weak smile and nodded. "I know this. It's just a habit. I'm just going through the motions."

"You'll do great tonight. I wouldn't have had you fly all the way out to LA if they're weren't going to be some pretty important people here tonight. This could really help your career" he stated.

"Thanks Avery. For everything. I'd never be here if it weren't for you" she said while leaning in and hugging him.

"Your talent stands alone. Go get em' doll."

Carly grabbed her guitar and strung it over her shoulders. Lights. Bright, hot, mind numbing lights. Lights with people. She hated them. She felt lost on stage. Her work was only in the music. The words, the melodies, the feeling. Her voice was just something she had to do to package in order to give the gift. The one thing she disliked about being song writer.

Tonight she was going to suck it up. Put her fears behind her and give it her best. Open mic night at one of LA's well-known clubs for music producers to sniff around in was just what she needed to get her songs heard. And Avery Jackson, bless the man, had given her the opening spot. Her only fear was letting him down, and making herself look like an ass.

Before she knew it, he was on stage introducing her and she was taking a seat on the stool in front of the microphone.

"It is my pleasure to introduce to you, a song writer all the way from Chicago, Illinois, Carly Piper!"

***
JC Chasez took a seat in the black leather booth that surrounded the small club. His attention going to the stage as the audience gave the opening performer a welcoming of applause. His head turned when he felt a hand slap his back in a friendly gesture. "JC, it's been forever! How are you brother?" Avery asked as he slid in beside JC.

"I've been good man. Busy, but good. Loving the life as a producer these days" he said.

Avery nodded towards the stage. "You need to pay attention to this girl. I swear, I see big things for her. Her talent is endless."

"That's why I've come here. I need a change of pace. New music, new lyrics, new talent" JC spoke as he listened intently.

"Well I hate to cut this short, but I've got to make sure the next songwriter is ready backstage. Good to see you JC!" Avery shook his hand as he stood.

"Nice to see you too, Avery". JC took in the girl on stage as she began to strum her guitar effortlessly and sing.

"I'm strong, but I break. I'm stubborn, and I make plenty of mistakes. Yeah, I'm hard, and life with me is never easy, to figure out, to love, I'm jaded but oh so lovely. All you have to do is hold me…."

JC listened intently as he took in the raw words and acoustic sounds of Carly's song. She looked like she was somewhere else. Lost in the world of music and lyrics. He smiled at that. She looked genuine and he hadn't spoken a word to the girl. He noted her look of comfort as he took in her jeans that stopped low on her hips and the tight green t-shirt that made her eyes stand out vivid.

He looked down at her outstretched leg, balancing her guitar carefully in her lap as he noted her black flip flops. He light brown hair flowed around her shoulders as they moved with the rhythm as she moved her small fingers back and forth against the acoustic guitar. His thoughts were interrupted as her voice grew louder as she came in for what he could only assume as the ending to her song.

"Oh yeah maybe you'll love me then. I don't wanna be tough and I don't wanna be proud. I don't need to be fixed and I certainly don't need to be found. I'm not lost, I need to be loved. I just need to be loved… I just wanna be loved by you and I won't stop, cuz I believe, that maybe, yea maybe… maybe…."


Her voice came to a whisper as the song faded out and the small audience erupted in applause. JC couldn't help himself as he followed suit. Who was this girl? Why was he drawn to her?
Carly walked off the stage and back into the dressing room to retrieve a bottle of water as she took a long drink followed by three deep breaths. Calming her racing heart, she set her guitar down and walked out the door.

"Time for mingling" she said to herself as she put on a smile. Avery caught her by the arm and hugged her close to his side. "You had them eating out of your hands tonight girl! The song is amazing!"

She turned to him grinned. "You're going to make my ego grow to the size of Texas if you keep that up Avery!"

"You need more faith in yourself. You have talent I could only dream of having!"

"I just want to be a song writer. I want someone to be inspired by them and sing them. I get the feelings that come out of it, they get to sing it and get paid. In the end, every one is happy."

"You are priceless! Come on doll, let's go mingle. I've already got four producers out there that would love to speak with you. Oh, JC Chasez is here. I was raving about you. Look out for him!" He said as he ushered her out by the bar.

Carly stopped mid step and turned to Avery. "JC Chasez?" she spoke in an annoyed whisper. "I'm not down with the boy band era, sorry. I mean I listened to them but the thought of working with him seems like it'd be a step back. Not to mention he makes himself out to be one of LA's biggest manwhores."

Avery chucked. "I don't know what happens under his sheets but I do know he is a very talented man, Carly. It might do you some good!"

"I'm pretty sure I'd rather eat dirt then slut myself up to get someone to buy my demos. Sorry to disappoint you."

****

JC watched as Carly walked from table to table, greeting the stuffy music producers. She would smile and reach her hand out to shake theirs. All the while listening intently and remaining professional. Every once and a while they'd say something and she'd throw her head back and laugh. A carefree laughter that went right to his heart.

He caught her catch a quick glimpse of him out the corner of her eye and turn her head quickly back to her company. He'd love a chance to speak with her and find out exactly who this 'Carly Piper' was.

Coming out of his brief reverie, he waved the waitress over and ordered himself a drink. Her overly flirtatious chest heaved in his face as she placed the drink in front of him before turning to leave. JC followed her backside as she swayed her hips as his eyes followed a few inches south.

Carly took this moment to give JC Chasez a full glance. Rolling her eyes and scoffing in disgust, she averted her eyes away from him and excused herself from her company. He was the playboy he made himself out to be. Checking out the ass of a 20 something waitress. Nice. Real professional.

After thanking Avery for his generosity for the evening, Carly retrieved her guitar and purse and made her way towards the door. As she was about to step out into the cool evening air, she felt a hand on her shoulder. Turning around, she was faced with none other then JC Chasez himself.


"Carly?" he asked quietly. "I'm JC Chasez. I was hoping I could have a chance to talk to you for a moment."

"I was actually on my way out. My flight leaves really early in the morning."

JC's face dropped. "Another time?" He asked. He found himself confused by her icy tone.

"Sure" she replied breezily and walked out the door. JC stood dumbfounded as he watched her leave. Avery only watched from the bar. Walking over to JC he nodded towards the door.

"She's touchy JC. Don't take it personally."

"How could I not take it that way? She looked at me as if I was the last thing on the planet she wanted to see."

"She's got her reasons. Don't ask me what they are though. She can be a stubborn girl. If you want to talk to her that bad, she's at the Westin down the street."

JC sighed to himself. Was she even worth it? "Thanks man. I owe you one."

***

Carly put the plastic key into the door and waited for the light to turn green. Opening the door and walking into her room she carefully dropped her guitar and purse on the desk by the window.

Kicking off her flip-flops, she walked over to her suitcase and grabbed a pair of shorts and a tank top. Comfort was the key. After she changed, she pulled her light brown hair into a quick up do, not caring that hair was escaping every which way. Grabbing her book from the beside stand, she laid back on the hotels heavenly bed and began to read. The panoramic windows gave her a breath taking view of LA at night, adding to her relaxation of a hectic week.

Turning the page of her book, her silence was interrupted as someone knocked on her door.

"Who in the hell?" she cursed as she padded to the door. Opening it, the face that greeted her was the last one she thought she'd see. Blinking to make sure she was seeing straight, Carly confirmed that she was staring into the eyes of none other then JC Chasez.

Feedback is always appreciated :)





Song Credit: Kelly Clarkson-Maybe



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc showersex jc producerjc