Author's Chapter Notes:

* Okay, first things first. Two chapters on one week.. (does a dance). Second things, this is a filler chapter of sorts but still holds relevance. I promise. We’ll get there, wherever that may be.

Third of all, to all of my readers out there, I’m looking for some impute from you all, or little opinions, comments, tidbits, etc. as to where I should take the story. I have ideas and outlines and different scenarios floating around in my head but I’d love to see what you guys say. I might not follow anyone’s specific ideas but I tend to take little pieces from things and sometimes those are all it takes for me to move forward at full force.

And lastly, enjoy the chapter. Hopefully the next will come just as soon =)

 

A Million Faces in a Crowd
Chapter 21.

It had been two weeks and Carly had to admit, she was miserable. Waking up that morning, she rose, stopping to glance out at the morning view of the city and even that didn’t seem to settle her. Almost two weeks since she’d left London, mad as heck at JC and his jealous ways.

He had tried to call, numerous times but she didn’t pick up. She needed to give him time to reassess their relationship and time to not be constantly flying back and forth from country to country. Surprisingly, she had managed to leave Gavin without getting in trouble for running out on her job. Carly knew though, that it was JC’s being there that had probably saved her job, and saved Gavin’s album. She knew he wouldn’t leave until it was complete. That’s just the type of person he was.

The only part of her that felt good was knowing she was home and her sister was doing well since her accident, living life as if nothing had happened. It was a big relief.

Dragging herself down the winding loft stairs, she walked groggily to the kitchen, in search of coffee. When she finally looked up, she gasped seeing someone sitting at the island counter.

“Kass, you scared the shit out of me.”

Her sister wasn’t amused. “Sorry. You won’t answer your phone. I had to come make sure you were alive.”

“Very funny. It’s called rest. It’s good for the world.”

Kassidy stood to pour her sister a cup of coffee she had just made. “That’s crap and you know it Carly Ann. I’ve known you forever. You don’t rest. If you sit still for more than a day, I’m convinced you’d combust.”

“Ugh, whatever.”

Kassidy laughed. “Good come back sis. So when are you going to tell me what’s really wrong?”

“Nothing is wrong. My gosh, are you trying to win a Grammy for biggest nag?”

“Um, news flash. I won that like ten years ago. But seriously, spill it. Something happen with JC?”

Carly sighed, annoyed before plopping down on one of the bar stools, coffee cup in front of her. “Yes. If you must know.”

“Are you going to share with the class or am I going to have to drag this out of you?”

“Seriously Kassidy, you’re pissing me off. Yes we got into a fight. You remember me telling you about Gavin right?”

“The acoustic-ish musician you’ve been in London working with? Mmmhmm.”

“Well, he kissed me.”

Kassidy’s eyes went wide. “Are you serious? I’m guessing JC didn’t take it well?”

“Well, he didn’t freak out like I thought he would. Things were fine and then he shows up in London. He swore he was called to come to help us catch up before the deadline but I swear, he was jealous as heck. I felt him hovering over me every second, analyzing every conversation or eye contact with Gavin and I.”

“So you left?”

“Well yeah.” Carly looked at her sister like the answer should have been a given.

“Well that was dumb. He’s only human Car.”

“I can’t put up with jealousy Kass. Especially while I was trying to do my job. Gavin and I were like best friends for the longest time. He’s a good guy but he’s had his highs and lows in life. He’s not perfect. Kissing me was definitely a low point. He’s apologized plenty of times.”

“I think you should give him another chance.”

“I need time right now. I need to not be working, or flying from this country to that. It was wearing me down.”

“So take some time, think. Do what you have to do. Have you talked to JC since you left?”

Carly shook her head slowly. “No. I didn’t want to hear it. I didn’t want to think about all of it for a while.”

“Psh, don’t give me that. You’ve never walked away from anything. And I’m surprised by this. You told me you loved him, Carly.”

“I do.” She defended.

“Then why are you making him go through all of this? You know he’s probably hurting just as bad. I can tell he loves the hell out of you. I’m sure you could hash it out.”

“Yeah, yeah. I know. I just-- his ex cheated on him in front of the world while he was completely oblivious to it. I know he’s just worried the same thing is going to happen. I told him we’d never work if he didn’t trust me.”

“Well think about it, Carly. His break up was when? And he’s dated how many women since the whole thing with the ex? He’s probably just getting his feet wet again, scared to death that he’s A- dating again, and B that he’s going to mess up somewhere. Don’t blame a guy for worrying to much.”

“I understand that but with this industry I work in, well we work in, a lot of the people I work with are men. He works with women all of the time. You have to have a great deal of trust.”

“Maybe he’s slowing catching on.”

“Maybe I’m just scared of where this is all leading.” Carly whispered.

Kassidy looked surprised. “Scared? Of what? That he loves you or that you love him?”

“All of it. I never saw myself with someone like him. Hell I didn’t even like him when we met. I just feel like I’ve been swept off my feet and one wrong move could leave me flat on my face.”

“I can understand that you’re scared of all of this. Heck, with a past liked yours I would be too. I think JC is different though. You’ve just got give him a chance.”

“It’s hard to give him chances, to get to know him and spend the time with him we’re suppose to when I’m always gone. I love my job, I just don’t see where a serious boyfriend fits in.”

Kassidy stood and padded her sisters leg. “Call him. I think you’ll be surprised if you just give him a chance.”

“We’ll see.”

“You know I’m right.”

Carly rolled her eyes. “Oh but of course. You’re never wrong are you Kassidy?”

Kassidy laughed. “It‘s a rare occasion.”

*****

“Damn, JC. Are you trying to break every heart in America?” Matt asked.

JC put the head phones down and took one of the black computer chairs in his home studio. “Not necessarily.”

“When are you going to stop bull shitting around with this and put your stuff out there and make a record?”

JC shrugged, crossing one leg over his lap. “When it’s right for me.”

Matt raised a brow in question. “And that would be when exactly?”

JC let out a frustrated sigh. “When I can find someone who backs me one hundred and fifty percent. Someone who will let me do an album my way and not shit all over me. I want to have a say in things. That just seems impossible these days.”

“You know, it won’t be long before I get my own label up and running. I’d be more than willing to back you and give you the reins as much as I could.”

JC looked hesitant. “I don’t know man.”

Matt nodded, trying to encourage him. “You know you’d got more talent than anyone I know. And look at you, hauled up in this studio recording these depressing love songs.”

“Yeah yeah. Sometimes it helps for me to get it off my chest, even though no one else will hear it.”

“Still no word from Carly I take it?”

He hung his head low, running a hand through his hair. “No. Thanks for reminding me.”

“She’ll call. I know she will.”

“I don’t know man. I think I really made her mad. I just don’t know the severity of it.”

“Maybe she’s taking the time to think.”

“Then I’ll give her that. It’s been almost two weeks. I just want to know she’s alright.”

Matt nodded. “I’m sure she’s fine. Why don’t you stop moping around and we’ll go out tonight?  It’s been forever since us guys got out for the hell of it. Come on! Drinks on me.”

“I don’t know…”

“Seriously JC, this isn’t good for you. It’s not going to hurt. Come on out and loosen up a little. Maybe it will take your mind off Carly.”

JC threw his hands up in defeat. “Alright, fine. I’ll go!”

Matt smiled. “It’s about damn time.”

***

Carly bit her lip as she waited for another one of JC’s messages play. Each one she listened to seemed to tear at her heart even more. His voice was soft but thick with emotion.  

“Hey Carly. It’s me--again. Look I know you’re probably sick of hearing my voice but I just thought I’d try to call anyways. I’m worried about you. Even if you don’t want to talk to me, let me know you’re alright.. Please. We can’t work anything out of you won’t talk to me. Well, I guess I’ll let you go. I love you.”

She bit her lip to prevent the tear that threatened to fall from her green eyes. Carly knew that if she admitted it to herself, it was killing her just as bad as it seemed to be him. She could be spending her time with him right now, instead of sitting at home wallowing in her anger. Still, it didn’t’ give him the right to behave the way he did. She wasn’t going to give in just yet.

Deciding to swallow her pride, if only for a minute, she opened her phone and sent him a quick message.

I’m fine. Stop worrying.

Letting out deep breath, she tried not to stare at the screen awaiting his reply. When her phone beeped seconds later, she didn’t have to look to see who it was. She knew.

I’m glad baby. Thanks for letting me know. I’m here if you need me.

She didn’t even try to prevent the smile that crept across her lips. Just a simple message from him had somehow made her feel a little better, even though he was the problem.

Maybe she’d been thinking enough.

***

“It’s about time your skinny ass got out and had some fun.” Tyler yelled over the loud music of the club, as he patted his brother on the back.

JC rolled his eyes. “Alright. You guys have said that enough already.”

Matt grinned over at Tyler. “I think our boy needs a drink.” He ushered over a waiter.

Tyler nodded. “You need to relax a little, brother. Let’s get you feelin’ good.”

JC rolled his eyes as Matt kindly passed out shots to each of them, tipping his back easily. He stood their waiting for JC to do the same. When he finally tipped the brown liquid back and swallowed, both men hollered even though no one could hear over the thumping music.

“I’m gonna go find me a hot little thing to dance with.” Matt called, slamming his drink on the counter and picking up a beer.

Tyler laughed, looking to his brother. “Did she call yet?”

JC shook his head, tipping his beer back, taking a long drink. “I got a text, letting me know she was fine.”

“Well that’s something right?”

JC gave his brother an annoyed look. “Yeah. It’s great. I haven’t spoke with my girlfriend in two fucking weeks and all I get is a text message. I’m fantastic, you ass.”

“You must have really pissed her off.”

JC slammed his bottle down, getting more agitated. “Thanks captain obvious.”

Tyler threw his hands up in defense. “Don’t bite my head off. I didn’t do anything. I’m just saying, Carly loves you. I bet you anything she’ll call.”

“Yeah, until then I’ll just sit around and wait like it’s no big deal.”

Tyler ordered himself another beer, placing his empty one of the bar counter. “Whatever man. I’m going to go dance or some shit. You’re depressing me.”

“Good. Go.” JC waved. He continued to nurse his beer until it was gone and then ordering another. By the end of the second one, he had to admit that he was finally starting to feel a good buzz.

“Hey there handsome.”

JC looked up to see a tall blonde with her cleavage hanging out, looking like your typical bar whore. “Hi.” he said lamely.

“What are you doing sitting here all by yourself? Why don’t you come dance with me?”

He tried not to roll his eyes. She was killing his buzz. “I’m good thanks.”

“You sure about that sugar?” The blond asked, leaning forward against the bar to order a drink, making sure she gave him a clear view of her breasts.

“Yeah. I’m positive.” He said, grabbing a new beer and tipping it back in a farewell.

He walked cautiously thought the swarming bodies of people, feeling the base beat loud enough that he felt the floor vibrate. He squeezed through, pulling off people that randomly grabbed a hold of him and tried to dance. This was not the place for a taken man to be, even if Carly wouldn’t call in that right about now.

He finally spotted Matt in the corner, hauled up a booth, drink in his hand and speaking to a group of people.

“There you are, ass! I was looking for you.” Matt slurred.

“I didn’t’ move dumb ass.”

Matt laughed. “Oh. Well then. Let me introduce to you some of my friends from college. This is Brad and Taryn. Guys, this is my good friend JC.”

He kindly shook hands with everyone, noticing how much the only female sitting in their little circle resembled his girlfriend. She looked oddly familiar for some reason and he’d swore he’d seen her before. His head hung low, feeling more and more sorry for himself. Taking another swig of his drink, he suddenly had a wave of confidence shoot through him. “Wanna dance?” He asked her.

Matt looked surprised, eyes wide by moved out of the way for her to come forward.

“What?” She laughed, raising her voice.

JC leaned forward, moving close to her ear, drink in hand. “I said do you wanna dance?”

She nodded her head, handing her drink to Matt who set it on the table and JC followed suit. He led her out onto the busy dance floor full of bodies.

His hands went around her hips casually, not trusting himself to get any closer. She resembled his girlfriend in many ways but she didn’t feel like Carly; didn’t smell like her. When she tried to get closer, JC felt himself pulling back, knowing that this wasn’t leading anywhere good. He might have been close to drunk but wasn’t about to completely sabotage his relationship. The guilt would eat him alive.

He tried to forget about everything and have a good time, even if it was to get lost in the music for a few minutes, it’d be worth it. The drunken feeling of the alcohol wasn’t cutting it. JC missed Carly. He went back and forth the possibility of flying to Chicago but quickly decided against it. If she needed time, throwing himself at her wasn’t going to do any good.

It wasn’t long before the song had ended, and to save his sanity, JC led Taryn back to the group of people, where Tyler now was along with Matt. JC was glad that his invitation to dance wasn’t misinterpreted into something more because he had to admit, he was feeling weak and as he downed yet another beer, his inhibitions were disappearing by the second.

“Hey man, some friends of mine are in town for the weekend and are having a party at one of the hotels not far from here. You guys should come.” Brad said.

Matt looked to JC and Tyler, looking for an answer and nodded wrapping his arm around his old college friend nearly losing his balance. “Sounds good. JC, Ty, you guys in?”

JC shrugged, knowing that if he declined, Matt would make a drunken scene and right now, he didn’t even care. He knew he’d rather be at home, waiting- hoping Carly would call but that would only add to his sucky mood. A change of scene couldn’t hurt.

As everyone continued to sit around and talk, JC nearly jumped out of his skin when he felt his cell phone vibrate in his pocket. He quickly retrieved it, hoping and mentally praying that it’d be her. He let out a sigh of relief when his wish came true, quickly trying to make it out of the noisy club before she hung up. He had to hurry.

By the time he had made it outside, he had sobered up a little but his phone had stopped buzzing. “Shit” he cursed, dialing the familiar number.

He dragged one foot across the cigarette covered cement, one hand in the pocket of his jeans as her phone continued to ring. JC was slowly feeling like he’d missed his one chance. Glancing at his watch, he did the mental math confirming that it was 4:00 in the morning her time. Just as he was sure her voice mail was going to pick up, he heard the phone go silent for a second before a soft voice answered.

“Hello?”

“Carly, babe- I’m sorry I missed your call.”

“Are you busy?”

He looked around as cars drove by, honking obnoxiously, wishing he was at home where it was quiet. “No. Not if you’ll talk to me.”

“Where are you?”

“The guys drug me out with them. We just went to have a few drinks. No big deal.”

“Oh, I can let you--.”

“No!” He interrupted. “I want to talk to you. This is killing me.”

“I don’t know where to start.” She sighed.

“Are you still in Chicago?”

“Yeah.”

“Everything okay with Kassidy still?” JC asked, deciding to cover all the bases.

“Yeah, she’s fine. You’d never know she was in a coma.”

JC laughed a little. “That’s good.”

“Yeah.” Silence ticked on. “Everything get finished with the album?”

“As far as I know. I did what I could.”

“Good. Sorry I left.”

He let out a shaky breath. “I’m sorry I was such an ass.”

Carly laughed a little. “So am I.”
“I didn’t mean to act like that. I just love the hell out you Carly. I need you to keep me in line. I don’t want to slip back into my old ways.”

“I--I’ve been doing a lot of thinking, Jace.”

His heart stopped. “Yeah? About?”

He could hear her let out a breath. “Us.”

JC swallowed hard, not liking the direction of this. He was going to lose Carly. He refused. “Oh yeah? Good things I hope.”

“I was thinking that we--.”  Carly started but stopped when she heard the voice in the background. The very female voice.

“JC, are you coming back to the hotel?” Taryn called.

Shit! JC cursed himself, turning quickly and throwing a “No, I’m taking a cab home.” over his shoulder.

He hoped Carly hadn’t heard that but he knew better. He just waited for his cue to start explaining.

“Who was that?” Carly asked, her voice trying to remain calm.

“It was one of Matt’s friends. I swear Carly.”

“Oh.”

“I’m really sorry about that. But keep going. You’ve got my full attention, babe.”

“You’re busy. It’s fine. I’ll just let you go.”

“Carly, No! I’m sorry--.”  But he knew it was too late. She had already hung up on him.

JC ran a hand over his tired face in frustration before hailing a cab. He tried dialing Carly’s number, only to hear her voicemail click on like he know it would. He’d been so hopeful when she called, thinking that things could finally shape up. Throwing himself into the taxi, he counted down the seconds before he was home, able to wallow in his own misery, alone and without any possible interruptions hoping that maybe-- just maybe his girlfriend would call him back.

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc showersex jc producerjc