Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Hey everyone. Sorry I didn’t have this done this weekend but work kind of kicked my butt. But it’s only a day late so yay! I just hope I did this chapter right and don’t wake up in the morning and slap myself. Ha. But I hope you all enjoy it. We’re moving.. To that unknown place. Enjoy, read, review, give input.. Yeah, it’s late and I need sleep. Just enjoy =)

A Million Faces in a Crowd
Chapter 22 (Part 2)

JC continued to work, trying not his mind wonder to other things and the other person laying four feet away from him on a couch across the room. He tried not to glance back at her, ignoring how cute she looked with her t-shirt ridding up her back, exposing her smooth skin. He tried not to notice how she tossed and turned, seemingly uncomfortable. His heart went out to her, wanting to fix whatever was bothering her but he remembered her ‘business as usual’ attitude. Still, if she kept this up, his loyalty and love for her was bound to get in the way.

Taking his glasses off, JC rubbed his tired eyes before placing them back on his head. He cursed, reminding himself that he had read over the same thing for the last forty five minutes. About to give up, he was interrupted by Carly shuffling behind him. He turned to see her looking in all her sleepy glory, looking around blearily. Smiling softly at her, he noticed that all of the color had drained from her face. Something had to be wrong.

“You alright, babe?”

She looked at him through heavy eyes before standing weakly and wrapping her arms around her stomach. “I think--, I think I’m going to be sick.”

JC jumped to his feet, watching as she scurried out of the studio and down the hall to the restroom. He waited outside, cringing when he heard the sounds of Carly getting sick to her stomach. Normally, such a thing would have him running as far away as possible but all he wanted to do at that moment was be there for her.

“Carly, honey, can I do anything for you?”

He didn’t expect the weak voice that came through the thick wooden door. “It hurts.”

Not caring what she did, he walked into the one stalled bathroom and saw her looking weak and small, hunched beside the toilet. Going directly to the sink, he grabbed a few paper towels, running them under cold water and immediately crouching down to run them against her forehead. Her skin was hot and clammy and her face looked drained of all energy.

“What hurts, Carly?”

She pointed to the side of her stomach, still holding onto it. “Right here.”

“Anything like this ever happened before?”

She shook her head quickly before tearing herself away from his reach, leaning over the toilet seat and getting sick again. “I think we should go to the Emergency room.”

“Jace, No! It’s probably just a flu or something.”

“Not if you have pain in your stomach. Please Carly? Let’s just get it checked out.”

She went to respond but found herself once again throwing up again. He rubbed her back, holding her hair back as she continued to get sick. He could feel her body shake beneath his fingers. She didn’t look good at all.

When JC was sure she was done, he went to retrieve another cool paper towel, running it over her warm, flushed face. To his surprise, she leaned forward, leaning her forehead onto his shoulder, taking deep breaths.

“Baby, please. Let’s just go get it checked out. If it’s nothing we can come back.” He said.

Her response was not convincing at all. “Work, Jace.”

“Screw work. Your health is more important to me. If Max wants to pitch a fit, tell him to call me. We’re going to the ER.”

Carly let out a little grunt, weather it was from pain or protest, JC didn’t know. “Fine.”

His eyebrows raised, wanting to wait just a second for her to come to her senses and reject but he didn’t give her time. He stood, swooping her up in his arms where he went back into the studio to shut everything down.

It took less than ten minutes and they were already in his car, en route to the nearest hospital.

***

JC sat beside Carly, curled up in a ball on the hospital bed, waiting for the doctor to come in. The ride there had seemed endless, but he did his best to reassure her that she’d be okay and that he wasn’t leaving her and that’s exactly how it had panned out.

She looked young and small in her moments of weakness, JC noted as he continually rubbed soothing circles against her back. His thoughts were on high speed, trying to calm her, as well as himself. His fear of hospitals didn’t even seem to register. He just wanted Carly to be okay.

They waited for what seemed like hours until a nurse had finally come in to get her stats. He almost felt like he was in the way or stepping on toes by being their as they poked and prodded her but she had looked nervous as hell and that didn’t sit right with JC.

When the doctor finally had come in, he insisted on leaving the room while they felt around on her stomach and did all the necessary exams. He had no idea what other things needed to be done and knew nothing about medical stuff so he decided to give Carly the privacy she deserved, leaving the room. He paced the white and shiny hallway, outside of her room and tried to think of positive things. It had a been a long time since JC had first met Carly Piper and it was amazing to think about where they were today, if only he knew himself. He knew he loved Carly and was almost sure she loved him the same, but she had hit a bump in the road. Traveling meant that your time together was limited and him being a macho, jealous, ass hole didn’t sit well with her. He knew he had only himself to blame. He just hoped that’d she’d realize he’d messed up and be able to love him like before.

Glancing at his watch, JC noticed that it had been at least fifteen minutes since he left the room and figured it’d be safe by now to come back in. Walking up to the door, he waited for a moment, seeing if he could hear anything.

“Where is the pain at?” The doctor had asked.

“Right here.” Carly said, pointing to her lower stomach.

“When was your last period?”

Carly paused for a second. “I um-- I don’t remember. A few months ago maybe? I’ve been traveling a lot for work and the stress has kind of messed it up I guess.”

The doctor nodded. “Any chance you could be pregnant?”

“What? I don’t think so. I’m always--.”

JC chose that moment to come back into the room, his face slightly pale. He noticed the way Carly wouldn’t meet his eyes.

The doctor nodded. “We’ll run some more tests and be back.”

Walking to her beside, JC leaned over her and kissed her forehead softly. He tried to calm the thudding in his heart from what he had just heard. Those were typical medical questions weren’t they? Why was it hard to breathe? “Feeling any better?” He asked, caressing her face.

She shrugged weakly. “Same.”

He took a seat beside her bed. “Did the doctor say anything?”

“They’re going to run some tests and take me for a CT scan or something like that. They just said I‘m running a really high fever.”

His palm immediately went for her warm forehead. “Do they have any idea?”

Carly held her hand out as the nurse came barging into the room to start her IV. JC took a deep breath, trying not to look at what they were about to do. “They said it could be a kidney stone or maybe something with my appendix.”

JC swallowed hard. “And they can fix that right?”

She nodded. “Yes, Jace they can fix it.”

It wasn’t long before they had come up wheel her off to X-ray to get a CT scan. JC wasn’t far behind, not wanting to let her out of his site.

Shortly there after, they were once again in her small room or the ER, awaiting her test results. They had finally given Carly some pain meds, hoping to help her rest and it seemed to be working as she dozed in an out. JC felt the urge to touch her right then, waiting nothing more than to feel her skin against his. He took one had, running his long fingers through her soft tresses. One finger traced from underneath her ear, and down to her neck, just being close, feeling her soft flesh.

He was lost in his thoughts, his mind reeling and not even paying attention when a group of nurses and a doctor JC had recognized from before came into the room in a hurry. JC looked up, immediately to his feet as he watched them rush at Carly.

“What’s wrong?” he questioned, alarmed.

“Her appendix is inflamed. We need to do emergency surgery right away.”

JC eyes widened. “Is she going to be okay?”

“Yes, as long as we get her into surgery in time. Are you her husband?”

He cleared his throat. “Boyfriend.”

“Do you know when she ate last?”

JC scratched the back of his neck. “I don’t know for sure but I know she had some coffee earlier but she got really sick right before we came. Whatever she had inside of her, she got rid of.” he said, knowing that Carly would never stop to eat while working.

“Alright then. We’ll give her some medicine to make sure her stomach is empty and then we’ll take her. Someone will be down once we start the surgery to come and get you.”

JC looked confused. “You’re taking her right this second?”

The doctor nodded, unhooking her IV meds. “Soon, yes. The sooner we get her in the OR, the better. This can be life threatening.”

“I don’t want to leave her.” He said, quickly standing and running a hand over her head, as she stirred. Not long after her eyes slowly opened and she became awake. Before JC could say anything, the doctor intervened.

“Miss Piper, your CT scan showed that your appendix is severely inflamed. We need to do emergency surgery right away. I need you to sign these consent forms.”

Her eyes went directly for JC’s, confusion and fear written all over her face.  “Surgery?” She whispered.

JC leaned down to buss her forehead. “It’s okay, Carly. I’m not going anywhere.”

She nodded, signing the forms the doctor had given her. “Promise?”

His nod was firm. “I promise, baby. I’ll be here when you wake up.” He reached his hand out, lacing it with hers, doing his best to try to comfort her. It made him feel good that she didn’t fight him but then again, in moments like these, people usually crumble and let their guards down. After all, the rest of her family were millions of miles away. Still, he’d take what he could get. Even if she said she hated him, he’d still be there for her.

He stepped back as the nurses came around her, checking her vitals once again and pulling up the railings, securing her inside the bed, preparing to move her. JC could only stare. Knowing they were going to take her soon, he leaned down and placed a lingering kiss on her cheek, whispering softly in her ear. “You’ll be fine baby. You’re one of the strongest people I know. I’ll be right here when you wake up. I love you.”

He wasn’t prepared for the look on her face as he pulled away, seeing small tears escape the corners of her tired, green eyes. “I’m scared.” She whispered.

JC swallowed, not use to dealing with this side of Carly. Sure, she’d let her guard down before where he was free to protect her and take the lead of things but those moments were few and far between. It stung to know that he wasn’t allowed to go up with her. He almost cursed himself for not telling the nurses he was her fiancé.

 “You’re going to be just fine. I promise.” He said as he used the tips of his fingers to brush her tears away.

She nodded weakly, as the nurses stepped in. “We’re ready to take her.”

JC nodded, taking his time as he let go of her hand. He tried to give her an encouraging smile.  “Love you.” he mouthed.

She tried to smile through the fear written on her face but it didn’t quite meet her eyes. They began pulling her away and JC could only watch, knowing it hurt that she hadn’t said she had loved him back. He tried to push the thought from his mind but she was about to be put to sleep and have some major surgery done. He needed to know that she still loved him.

Just as she was about completely leave the room, he heard her voice. “Wait! Jace..”

JC’s head jerked back, looking in her direction as he came rushing over to her, as all of the nurses stopped and stared. He looked at Carly curiously, as she reached up, grabbed his shirt and pulled him down to her eye level. “I love you too.” She said groggily. She held his face in her hands, reaching up to kiss him quickly on the lips.

When he pulled back, JC couldn’t prevent the soft smile that had taken over his lips. He didn’t even care that everyone had seen that and his cheeks were a little warm from the display of it all. She had said it back. It was easier to breathe.

“We really need to go.” The doctor said firmly.

JC nodded, stepping back and returning to wait in her room.

**
It seemed like hours, almost days as he paced the squeaky hallways of the surgery floor. His mind raced, forced to slowly take in everything that had happened within the last twenty-four hours. Things still weren’t back to one hundred percent with Carly but knowing that she still loved him went a long way. He had every intention of repairing their relationship but she had needed time and so he gave it to her. It wasn’t until Max had called about finishing the project errors on Gavin’s CD that JC knew this was his time.

He had hated to trick her into being in the same room with him but in all his defense, he would have lended his talent and effort, had she been there or not. Then there was the awkward tension she had put between them, or her wall more like it. He wasn’t use to being in the same room as her and not being able to touch her, or be close to her, or having free rein to kiss her if he felt like it.

JC knew she was more than likely tired and agitated for being drug across the country to work but her agitation had most likely been the on comings of her illness. Not knowing why, he felt the strong need to be there for her and protect her even though she wanted nothing to do with him. He knew she was putting up a front and in the end, it came down to his love for her.

Still, being here in the hospital, watching her go through something like this just threw their whole relationship, or whatever they were into something serious. He wanted to always be there for her, be the one she counted on in times where she was weak. He just didn’t know how it’d happen with her living in Chicago and him being in L.A. and it had seemed all hints or suggestions of her rerouting were declined.

Still he had some hope. His mind drifted to everything that had happened while they were apart and not talking and there had been so many times that he wanted to call her and just hear her opinion on things. He was in the works of releasing another solo album and having Carly there for his support would have meant the world to him. She was partial reason for him deciding to give in to the offer. She was constantly telling him his voice was being wasted with all of the beautiful melodies it was capable of producing. He tried to tell himself that if he did release another solo album, that things would only get crazier for their relationship and contemplated the fact of backing out of the whole deal.

Only time would tell.

He glanced at his watch again, wondering what was taking so long. They had said the surgery would only take an hour and a half tops, and it had already past two. He tried not to think the worst.

Ignoring all calls on his cell phone, JC tried to keep his head focused on one thing and one thing only. He’d put up with Max later. Carly was more important.

Finally giving up his pacing, he took a seat in one of the hospital chairs attached to the wall and ran a hand over his exhausted face. He had gotten to the studio at almost 12:30 and it was now past 3. It was all worth it though.

Yawning once more, he debated going to the small vending machine and getting come coffee but he honestly didn’t want to leave incase one of the nurses came to get him. Closing his eyes just for a second, he was quickly brought back to reality.

“Mr. Chasez?”

“Yeah. That’s me.” He said sitting up, becoming fully awake.

“I came to let you know Miss Piper is out of surgery and she did fine and is in recovery. You can come with me if you’d like to see her.”

JC nodded, standing up. “Yes, of course.”

**

She looked small and innocent, JC noted as he watched Carly continue to sleep. He had felt a great weight lift from his shoulders knowing that the surgery had went smoothly. Still, so much was up in the air. Deciding not dwell on the what ‘what if’s’, JC focused on the now and did his best to comfort the woman he loved.

He pulled a chair up to her bed, supporting himself on his elbow as he combed her hair away from her face. He remember the few times before they had fallen asleep together that he’d found himself doing that, recalling the soft purr of relaxation she’d given him.

She did just that, not seconds later and he smiled, knowing it still worked. Leaning down, her kissed her cheek, letting out a breath he didn’t know he was holding at the feel of warm skin against his lips.

“I’m here, baby. Just rest.”

Carly slowly inched her way backwards, coming closer to his touch as he continued to sooth her. He tried to stop the yawn that was begging to be released but failed miserably. Looking towards the closed curtains in her room, he could see the faint oranges that indicated that the sun was coming up. But that didn’t matter because JC knew that he didn’t want to be anywhere else than with Carly even though the hospital wouldn’t be his first choice.

Still, he had crossed one hurtle and just hoped he had what it took to cross the others. His mind continued to nag him, running through all the events of the early morning and there was one that he had tried to avoid but it just wouldn’t go away. The word ‘baby’ seemed to be on repeated and he tried to tell himself that he was just overreacting. Doctors had to ask that kind of thing didn’t they? He knew nothing about periods or anything like that but just hearing them asking her made his heart skip a beat.

Was Carly pregnant? Was that why she had been so distant from him? Had she been trying to tell him all along but was scared? They had been having sex so it was possible and remembering the night before she went back to London came screaming back at him. Suddenly, it was hard to breathe again. Did he want to have a child with Carly?


Having a child was a serious deal. It tied two people together forever. Was he ready for that? Was Carly ready? He tried not to get ahead of himself, knowing he’d only drive himself crazy. Knowing Carly better than that, he’d hoped she’d swallow her pride and put whatever was between them to tell him she was having their child. It just didn’t make sense. JC felt a whole new obstacle being thrown at him and just hoped he had what it took to make it through.

The first one was getting Carly healthy again, the second was mending their relationship.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Don't hate me.. lol *hides*


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc showersex jc producerjc