Author's Chapter Notes:

Ok, I officially hate writers block. We'll call this the 'bump in the road' chapter. I have the rest of the story played out in my head but theirs always that ONE chapter that helps you transition to bigger and better things. [/end rant.]

I hope I still have readers out there. *Waves* Let me know if you're still reading and interested. I need some motivation to keep this story truckin'. Review, suggest, enjoy!

A Million Faces in a Crowd
Chapter 27.

JC paced up and down the hallway of the recording studio, desperate for a moment alone. He'd spend the last two days hauled up doing nothing but writing and recording and he was eager to get away, if only just for a minute. He pulled out his cell phone, dialing the familiar number and couldn't prevent the grin that crept up on his chiseled cheek bones as it rang.


"Hello?" came a female voice and he smiled.

"Hey gorgeous."

"Hey Baby. How's the recording going?" Carly called.

JC ran a hand through his thick hair, turning to walk up the hallway again, repeating his steps. "It's going good. Busy but good. It feels kinda odd."

"How so?"

"It's just.." He paused and let out a sigh. "It's been so long. It's odd that it's my music."

Carly laughed. "Jace, you record yourself all the time for demo's."

He rolled his eyes and smiled even though she couldn't see him. "I know. It's just my music like something feels different."

"Good different?"

He bit his lip. "I haven't decided that yet."

"Well, you will and you'll realized what you've been missing and how amazing you are."

His heart swelled at her dedication. "I didn't call for an ego boost, babe."

Carly scoffed. "Too bad. I'm your biggest fan and this is what you get."

JC let out another deep sigh. "I miss you."

"Me too and it's only been like two days." Carly laughed. "What's with us, Jace?"

JC smiled and though for a second. What was with them? It seemed they had slowly rebuilt their relationship and it was exactly where he wanted it. They were in love.

"It's called being in love, Carly." He said, his voice light and full of emotion.

"I am, you know." She said softly.

"Am what?"

"In love. With you."

His heart skipped a beat a little. She was slowly becoming more vocal with her words and no matter how much he heard it, it never got old. "I know Carly. I am too, so much."

Silence over took the conversation for a few seconds before he finally broke the silence. "So what have you been up to?"

"Just work. Max has some projects for me to look over. I guess I get to pick which direction I want to go next."

"That's my baby girl. Always working." He laughed. "You haven't wrecked my car yet have you?"

Carly burst out laughing. "Oh crap, I forgot to tell you--."

JC laughed himself, wishing he was there at that moment to hug or tickle her for tormenting him. "Very funny, Carly."

"I thought it was, if I do say so. But no, your precious baby is fine. I think I can actually get to the studio now without my GPS."

He laughed. "Look at you, driving around L.A. like you belong here."

Carly laughed but it came out sarcastically if that was possible over a cell phone. "Yeah right. I'm neither plastic nor jaded, thank you."

JC followed suit. "Hey, I'm not plastic either."

Carly scoffed, amused by his outburst. He was far from plastic and jaded. "Don't I just know it."

"So..." He began. "You're getting the hang of driving around here so I have you given moving here any more thought?"

Carly bit her lip, even though she couldn't see him. "Maybe."

His brows raised up in surprise and the familiar skipping of his heart came back. "Really?"

"Not set in stone answer yet but I've been thinking."

"Good. Thinking is good." He smiled, wishing he was there to see the look on her face.

"Mmmhmm." She didn't want to press the issue any further. "So how long do you think you'll be in the big apple for?"

"I'm not sure, to be honest. I can let you know when I find out though. I know we're still writing and stuff and recording as we go."

"Okay. Sounds good. I hope everything goes well for you."

"Thank you babe. You going to be there when I get home?"

"I-I'm not sure yet. I guess it depends how long you'll be there. I would like to get home sometime soon but I know I've got obligations back here in L.A. within the next few months."

"I hope you're still there Carly. Keep me posted."

"You know I will. You better get back before they come looking for your fine self."

JC laughed. "They're all dudes, Carly."

Carly laughed, a light flirty giggle. "That doesn't mean anything, Chasez."

"You're sick."

"Uh huh. Love you. Knock em' dead."

"I love you too, Carly. Have a good week."

JC simply hit end on his phone and turned to walk back into the room. His feelings were mixed to missing his girlfriend with a strange hint of relief. Yes they were apart, as they had been many times but this time, she was in his home, waiting for his return. The idea spoke of permanence and gave him hope for what was to come. He wondered what it'd be like to never have to wonder if she'd be there on his returns home. Always knowing she'd be there because she lived there permanently was a little overwhelming but the more he thought about it, the more he wanted it. Was he ready to settle down once and for all? It took a second, but he reminisced to just moments before he had left for New York only two days before and he remembered seeing something different in Carly's eyes. Something of permanence and love and promises. He tried not to kid himself as he walked back into the studio, big smile plastered on his face. Carly had to be it for him.

**

Matt looked up from the sound board, rolling his eyes at JC. "Let me guess. You just got off the phone with Carly?"

JC looked at him innocently. "So what if I did?"

Matt gave a half smile. "Dude, you're so love struck that it's not even funny."

Shrugging, JC resumed his spot in the black swivel chair beside his friend. "So what. I love her. It happens."

Matt took in the look on JC's face. So serious, so sure. "Is she it for you?"

JC tried to play off the thudding in his heart but instead smiled guiltily. "I think so, man."

"And her living in Chicago isn't an obstacle?"

He tried to prevent it, but JC's face still fell. "Well right now, it's not because she's been staying with me for a while. And she's been working on projects in L.A. I kind of asked her to move in with me."

Matt's eyes went wide. "What do you mean kind of?"

"Well, I mean I did. I just never got a definite answer. I know she's afraid to say yes and we haven't exactly had the most normal relationship."

"Define normal?"

"I just mean since the day we've met, it's been her traveling here or me going there. We've just never really got the chance to go through all of the steps of a normal relationship. I mean we've had our arguments and what not but we've come through all of it stronger than ever. She's just.. I can't even put into words. When I'm with her, I'm just happier than I ever remember being."

Matt nodded, patting JC on the back. "I understand where you're coming from, man. With both of you being in the music industry, it can't be easy. But on the other hand, I've seen you two together and I can tell she loves the hell out of you. Give her time. I bet you'll have your answer eventually."

"I hope. I almost hate myself for being here. I just feel so weird doing this music thing when I'd rather be home with her. I've had girlfriends back in the day when making my own music was all I breathed but I don't ever remember wanting to choose a girl over music."

"You're in love man."

JC rolled his eyes. "I'm aware of that captain obvious."

"You've just grown up. You see things differently."

JC sighed, remembering Carly's voice on the other end of his phone, taunting him and so full of love all at the same time. He tried to think about what she was doing right about now and contemplating what he'd give to sink into one of her hugs right about now. He looked forward at the sound board and mentally cringed. This was the last place he wanted to be.

"Yeah man. I'm aware of that. I honestly didn't think I'd find someone else I wanted to be with again."

Matt moved to up closer to the sound board, indicating that he was ready to get back to work. "You can't let that ex of yours dictate your life, JC. Not every woman is like her. I think Carly's good for you. Just take it day to day. If you love her as much as you say you do, I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine."

JC nodded, in no mood to continue working. It seemed he'd been held hostage in the studio. "Yeah, I'm sure I will be." He sighed deeply, trying to think of anything but working.

***
Carly groaned, slamming JC's car door shut as she walked annoyed towards the doors of the studio. Se has just left, not even an hour before, had just got back home, well to JC's home and was relaxing with a book when they had called her down their to 'fix' someone else's error. Needless to say, she wasn't happy.

She looked down at her appearance, cringing a little as she took in her gray sweatpants a baggy t-shirt, hair up in a messy ponytail. She knew she was dressed for comfort but didn't care. She wasn't there to impress anyone. Her only goal was to fix the stupid error, and leave. She was already counting down the days until JC's return.

Once inside the studio, she got in the elevator and was hastily turning the corner when her shoulder banged into something equally hard. "Oh my gosh, I'm so so--."

Her words were halted quickly when she saw who exactly was looking back at her. This couldn't be happening. "Carly..."

Her name came out from between his lips in almost a whisper but still she had heard it. Why did she all of the sudden feel so nervous? "Gavin."

"Sorry, I didn't see you coming--, I mean- how have you been?"

Carly watched him shift nervously, hands going to the pockets of his faded jeans, sitting low on his hips. "It's okay. I've been really good. You?"

He smiled, that dazzling smile that he gave off so easily. "I've been good. Really busy. The album's about to be released so yeah. You know how that goes."

"Yes. You've worked hard. I hope it all goes well."

"Hey now, you're the reason that CD even got done. I better see you at the release party."

Carly looked at him wide eyed. Was he serious? Then she reminded herself that this was business and that business was connected to his music. "I um, don't think-- When?" She stuttered.

"The dates not set but I can let you know. It'd really mean a lot to me if you were there." He said, his eyes blue and genuine. He rocked back and forth on his heels for a second before he stumbled forward a little, closer to her and that's when he was too close, the scent of him easily meeting her nose. She took a step back.

"Well, just let me know. I don't know if I'll still be in L.A. but I'll see what I can do. I hate to cut this short but I've gotta get to work. Apparently fixing peoples errors are my calling in life."

Gavin laughed. "Well they can't help it that you're just so damn talented. It's hard to find the best out there."

Carly smiled, grateful for his compliment but still it made her feel weird. She couldn't put a finger on why though. Instead, she smiled kindly and thanked him before excusing herself as quickly as possible. He was the last person she thought she'd ever run into and for some reason, she felt a little guilty for enjoying their little run-in. Even though it was all innocent, she had missed his friendship and that's what ate at her conscience the most. Trying to shake it off, she finally got to the correct studio, her bad mood back again as she buried herself in work, hoping to forget what had just happened.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc showersex jc producerjc