Author's Chapter Notes:
Another chapter. We're movin! The distance continues! I hope you all enjoy!

 

A Million Faces in a Crowd
Chapter 28.

JC ran a hand over his exhausted face as he dragged himself down the hallway to his hotel room. Checking his watch, he groaned. 3:45 a.m. which meant his body that lived in LA, it was even later. He had just come from a particularly hard day of working in the studio, writing, singing, reworking and perfecting tracks he had already wrote years ago. It was an odd feeling that he left with. Almost like he was digging up his past. Each song he had tucked away had it's own memory, reminding him of exactly when and why he wrote it. Because of that, a couple of tracks had been completely batched from his future CD play list. Wanting to forget it all, he dragged his tired body into his room, kicking off his clothes and switching to pj pants before throwing himself down on his bed. Tucking himself under the covers only seemed to remind him that he was alone and suddenly, the nagging feeling that sat in his stomach, returned.

He had missed Carly more than he had thought possible. Since they had spent a majority of their relationship apart, he figured this would be just like any other one of those moments but it wasn't. He was constantly wondering what she was up to, and even though he talked to her every day, it just wasn't the same. He missed the mornings and the nights, waking up to one another, making love and just lazying around. It seemed that just when they had finally met some common ground and things were looking up, something always interfered with it.

And that just added to his hesitation to making an album. Right now just didn't feel like the time. Fighting the sleep from his exhausted eyes, he picked up his phone, skimming his fingers over it, daring them to press the speed dial button that would connect him with her cell phone. 3:50 here in New York, which meant it was almost 6 in LA. JC wondered if she'd mind being woke up. Right now, all he really wanted to do was here her voice.

Pressing the button, he quickly brought it to his ear, waiting for it to ring. Four rings later, a sleep voice had finally answered.

"Lo?"

"Carly, it's me."

"Jace?"

"Yeah Honey. I'm sorry I woke you up."

He smiled hearing her yawn. " S'ok. You alright?"

He couldn't stop the huge sigh that escaped his lips. "Yeah."

"Tell me another, baby." She whispered.

"It's just, this day sucked. I'm exhausted and irritated with the whole thing and all of these people working on the project with me. And to top it off, I came back to my hotel room all empty and alone missing the hell out of you."

Carly couldn't suppress the giggle that escaped her lips, picturing him pouting. "I'm sorry Jace. If I could be there to hold you, I would."

"Yeah?"

She pictured his hopeful smile. "Yeah. If I didn't have to be at the studio in like five hours, I'd gladly fly to New York, Jace."

"Ugh, want me to let you go?"

"No. Tell me what's wrong?" She encouraged.

Another heavy sigh. "It's just all of this. It all feels like work to me. I'm not producing stuff for other artists like I'm used to. It's all me and every little detail has to be perfect. And these producers are even more anal ass wholes that I am."

Another giggle. "I'm sorry but thinking of someone more anal than you when it comes to producing music is comedy to me baby. And don't stress. You knew it was going to be new, going to take a while to get your feet wet. I bet you things will settle down sooner or later and you'll be in there, taking over like a pro, making music that will break hearts all across the world."

"Gee thanks baby. How did you know I write and sing music just to break hearts?"

"That's not what I mean, Chasez. Don't twist my words around." She commanded in the sassy tone he loved.

"Uh huh."

"You really are in a funk tonight. Tell them to give you a day off."

JC scoffed. "Yeah right. I'm like a freaking slave to them. We have to do this, do that. Re-do this track, meet this deadline. I'm so sick of it." He nearly whined.

Carly wasn't used to this side of JC. Usually when he was referring to music, his outlook was completely different from the one now. "Want me to kick someones ass, baby?"

Finally JC laughed. "Yes, please."

"If you say so. Just tell me who and where."

"I love your sassy side, Carly. And the fact that you're always willing to defend me."

Carly shrugged, even though he couldn't see her. "I love you. It's what I do."

JC could feel his mood already changing. "I love you too. So what are you wearing right now?"

Laughing, Carly looked down under the covers at her night time attire. "I'm sleeping. What do you think I'm wearing?"

Raising an eye brow, a grin instantly when to JC's lips. "Well if I were home, I'd hope it'd be nothing."

"Mmm, but your not stud."

"So then what are you wearing now that I'm not there to wrap you in my arms?"

"Some lace, see through panties and nothing else."

"Carly!" JC scolded. "That's not fair."

She laughed, rolling over and burying her face in his pillow. "I'm wearing one of your t-shirts and a pair of shorts, baby. Chill out."

"Hmm. I think I like your first mental picture better. I know it sounds cheesy but I just want to bury my face in your hair and pull you against me and drift off to sleep."

"Aww, Jace. You're killing me here."

"I'm sorry. I've just had a bad day and I'm being a brat."

"No. You're entitled to bad days. I'm just sorry I'm not there to hold you and make you feel better." Carly sympathized.

"It's okay. I'm just counting down the days until I can leave and come home to you."

"There you go. Look on the bright side. You're about to make me re-schedule work today."

JC smiled. "I wouldn't make you do that. I'm sorry I'm being like this. No more of this funky attitude. Tell me how you've been."

Carly couldn't prevent her eyes from closing. "I've been fine. Just like I was two days ago when we talked, silly."

JC yawned, once again himself but the sound of her voice was comforting him. "You holding down the house all by yourself?"

"Mmmhmm. Tyler's been in and out a few times but I haven't seen him since."

"That's good. I didn't want you to be all alone."

Carly scoffed. "I do have friends ya in LA, ya know."

"I know. You know what I meant. It's not like your workaholic self would actually take some time off and just relax for a day."

"Can't help it. It's in my blood."

"So how's work been? You seemed mad when I called you the other night."

"Oh I was. Just another late night run to fix something someone else screwed up. My life story." The night seemed to flash back in her mind. Gavin. Should she or shouldn't see tell him?

"Carly Piper to the rescue. That's my girl."

"Ha. Yeah, yeah." She hesitated for a second. "I-I ran into someone at the studio that night."

JC swallowed thickly. "Yeah? Who."

Carly took a deep breath, praying this didn't blow up in her face. This is how the last tirade had started. With distance. "Promise me you won't get mad."

"Okay."

"Are you serious or are you just saying what I want to hear?"

"I'm serious babe. I'm already in a bad mood so it doesn't matter." He laughed.

"I ran into Gavin." She held her breath as silence filled the phone line.

"Oh yeah?" JC asked. "And how is he?"

Carly was shocked. No sarcasm. No snip in his voice. Wow. "He's good. Been working non-stop like I predicted. His album is about to come out."

"That's good. All the dang work we put into that thing." He laughed.

Still no attitude. So far, so good. Carly laughed along with him. "Don't remind me. Anyways..." She trailed off. "He invited me to his release party."

"Oh yeah? You going to go?"

Carly was still stunned. He had grown up. "I...um, I thought about it. I mean, he and I were good friends."

JC took a breath, trying to push all negative thoughts from his head. "I know babe. You worked hard on that album. I'm sure he'd be happy to have you there."

"You won't freak out?"

JC laughed. "Gosh baby, am I that bad? I thought we moved on from all of that jealousy shit. If you want to go, you should, with or without my permission."

Carly's eyes went wide, as she set up in bed. "Did you hit your head, Jace?"

"No." He laughed. "We're at a good place right now. I love you and I know you love me. I have nothing to worry about, do I?"

Suddenly, Carly seemed drained of such heavy conversation. Sleep seemed to sound a little better. "Nope."

"Good. Then we're good." He laughed as they both yawned together. "Guess I should say goodnight?"

"Might do you some good. You feeling any better?"

JC buried his face in the pillow, feeling close to slumber. "I do babe, thanks. I just needed to hear your voice. Feel close to you somehow."

"I'm glad. Sleep. Let your body rest, forget about the jerks at the studio and all the stress. Just remember when you get home, you'll have open arms waiting for you."

He couldn't prevent the smile that seemed to take over his chiseled face. "I think I just fell in love with you all over again."

Carly giggled. "It's a gift. Get some sleep, Jace. Love you."

"I will. You too. Thank you for listening. Love you back."

JC hung up the phone, feeling a lot better than when he called. Finally, he was able to close his eyes and find a peaceful slumber away from work, stress and dream of the one woman who brought a smile to his face.

**
JC walked into the studio the next morning, feeling refreshed and a little more like himself. His long talk with Carly was just what he had needed to wash away his bad mood and relieve him of his stresses, even though he couldn't be with her in person. Sleeping in for an extra hour or so had also renewed his body clock and he was going to take on the day with a new attitude.

Coffee cup in hand, he walked in to see everyone ready to go. "Morning."

"I'd say so. You look a little more alive this morning." Matt quipped.

JC chose not to acknowledge his comment. "Whatever. Let's get to work."

He looked back at JC curiously. "Bad night?"

JC was in no mood to speak his mind. He didn't even want to be there. "I'm not going to talk about it. Where are we starting today?"

Matt took the piece of paper from one of the other producers and skimming it over. "This is the game plan." He said, forwarding the paper to JC.

"They've got deadlines here, promo dates there and I think they're starting to book radio gigs for you also."

JC tried to prevent his immediate annoyance. The schedule was insane. He'd never have a life again for the next year, let alone get home to see Carly. "October second? What the hell, man? I told you I had to be home by then."

"What's so big about October second?

"It doesn't matter what I have to do because I told you I couldn't be here. It's Carly's birthday if you must know."

"The dates are already booked, Man. If we back out, they'll pull the plug on this whole thing." Matt said, cautiously.

"This is bullshit. This seems to be history repeating itself. Dates, deadlines, my way or the highway." JC complained.

Matt looked on helplessly. It was his job to back JC and see that things were done properly but even when it came down to it, he didn't have one hundred percent control.

"Look, it's just the price you've gotta pay man. I'm sure she'll understand." Matt said.

"Yeah, whatever. I'm going for a walk. Someone call me when we're starting."

JC walked out of the studio and into the cool September air of New York City. Suddenly, his bad day had quickly returned. It seemed each day, working on his own album seemed less and less appealing and he found himself once again wondering why in the hell he had even tried. Things had changed. Life had changed and as he got older and he was starting to finally see this. Things weren't what they once were, making music especially. All stresses aside, the one thing that kept replaying in his mind was the phone call he'd have to make to Carly and her birthday gift that he'd have to put on hold.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc showersex jc producerjc