Author's Chapter Notes:

So first things first. I wanted to give a BIG thanks to whoever voted for me! I'm really flattered! When I got back into writing, I had sort of hoped that someone would like my stuff enough to at least earn a vote someday... lol 

Moving on...I feel like I've been writing this chapter since the beginning of time. It's LONG so I hope you all love it! More to come soon :)

 

 

A Million Faces in a Crowd
Chapter 29.

Later that week

JC was surprised when his phone rang just before he was about to go back into the studio one morning. Bringing it to his ear, he answered. "Hey baby."

"Hey Jace. Is this a bad time?"

"No. I was just on my way to the studio. What's up?"

Carly bit her lip. This wasn't like her to be so open with her feelings. "Nothing. I just missed you."

Smiling, JC's heart did a little flip flop. "I miss you too."

"So they still working you like a dog?"

He sighed, mentally cursing. "You know it. Same shit, different day."

Carly laughed. "My poor baby."

"Want to come and make it better?" JC joked.

"Ha, ha, Chasez. Yes, let me just fire up my private jet and I'll be in your bed, naked and waiting by the time you get back."

"Carly! Don't tease me like that."

"Sorry, it's a natural talent. But hey, I know this is a long shot but I had something to ask you."

"Okay. Shoot."

"I know you're busy with the album and stuff but I was wondering if you'd like to go back home with me sometime."

"Home as in Chicago?"

Carly nodded even though he couldn't see. "Yes, home in Chicago."

"You know I'd love to babe but they just told me I'm going to be here longer than I thought."

He instantly felt horrible when he heard the tone in her voice drop. "Oh...how long?"

"They said at least for another few weeks, if not for a month or so."

"That long? I thought half of the album was done?" She questioned.

JC scoffed. "So did I but they're nit picking about what goes where. I've had to go back and re-work, re-tweak, re-record. It's ridiculous. I'm about to pull the plug on this bullshit."

"Jace, you don't mean that. You know it'll all be worth it in the end."

"I'm not so sure anymore. You're birthday..." He trailed off but she already knew.

"You won't be home. It's oka-." JC was quick to interrupt her.

"No it's not okay, Carly. I wanted to be with you to celebrate, because I love you and we've never got to celebrate it together."

"They'll be other birthdays, JC." Carly reasoned.

"Will there be?"

She let out a defeated sigh, not expecting this conversation to turn into something so heavy.

"I'd like to think." Carly stated flatly.

"There will be. It's just- dammit, this is hard for me. I don't want to be here. I want to be home with you, holding you, kissing you.."

"You're just making it worse."

"I know. Ugh, I just want to punch something right now."

"I don't think it's worth it. Look Jace, I'm going to let you go. You're in a bad mood and--."

"I don't want to do this anymore, Carly.'

"Do what? Us?"

JC was quick to correct her. "Carly, NO! This, I mean this album thing. I just don't think it's right anymore."

"You'll never know unless you try. You've walked this road before. You know how it goes."

He suddenly became more agitated. Carly was trying to push him through his bad mood, knowing exactly what kind of an amazing musician he could be. If she felt so strongly about this album, why didn't he?

"Yeah, you're right. I'll just suck it up." JC said, sarcasm thick in his voice.

"I should let you go." She reasoned.

"Carly?"

"Yeah, JC?"

"I'm really sorry." He said, running a hand through his hair. "I think Tyler's going to be home. I'm sure he'd be up for going out and you could invite some of your friends."

"It's alright Jace. I'll be fine."

"You better not sit at home all night in your sweats watching lifetime movies. I won't have it Carly. It's your birthday."

The corners of her lips turned up even though she wouldn't allow herself to laugh. "Don't knock my lifetime movies."

"I'm not. I'm simply saying you should do something fun."

"It's fine, Jace. I'm a big girl. You should get back to work."

"But..." He realized she was disappointed, the reality of it sinking in.

"I'll talk to you later." She said simply, her voice void of any emotion.

JC sighed heavily. "Fine. I love you, Carly. "

"Me too. Bye."

JC was shocked to hear the line had went dead and that was the end of the conversation. He had told her he loved her and though she had acknowledged his words, she hadn't said them back and he'd be lying if he said it hadn't stung. His day had officially turned to shit. Letting out a frustrated scoff, JC rolled his eyes as he returned to the recording studio. Why all of the sudden did he feel like this was just the beginning of the love of his life slipping away? It just added to the dull, hesitant feeling he got the day he signed his record deal.

*****

Carly paced around JC's huge house, admiring the gorgeous views it provided. Even though her birthday had been uneventful thus far, she could still appreciate the little things in life. Her morning began by sleeping in, waking up in JC's huge bed all alone had began the dread. Upon getting up, she felt she should have expected the huge bouquet of wild flowers JC had sent to the house for her, along with his million apologies. The voice mail from him, when she had finally turned on her phone was sweet but made the reality of it all even more difficult. Being her birthday didn't even register with the fact that she was honestly starting to miss him to the point where it was almost painful. This was so unlike her. Carly Piper didn't fall hard like this.

She thought about flying to New York but he was working and he'd be busy in the first place. And why should she have to fly to him on her birthday? It didn't make sense.

Glancing out over the balcony, she was quickly pulled away but the beeping of her cell phone, indicating she had a text. Carly grabbed the object, thinking it was just another Happy Birthday text from a family member or friend. Though they were sweet, it didn't make up for the void she felt deep inside.

Looking at the screen, she was surprised to see it was a text from Gavin. "Hope to see you tonight at the release party. You deserve this just as much as I do. --Gavin"

Her eyes widened. She had totally forgot. Biting her lip, she thought for a second, going back and forth with the decision. She had nothing to do tonight, it was her birthday and she did want to go somewhere. She had put a lot of work into Gavin's CD and it would be good to see him finally get credit for it. Deciding to throw all her wallowing to the way side, Carly didn't even remember the long walk to the bedroom to look for something to wear and didn't even feel guilty about the purposefully missed call from JC shortly after.

**

She forgot what this part of Hollywood was like. All the glitz and glam, the spotlights, the photographers. Looking down at herself, she was hoping her outfit did justice if this was going to turn into a big thing. Carly had chosen black dress pants and a white silky, sleeveless blouse that laid low in the middle of her chest. She pulled her bangs back, letting the rest of her long hair flow around her shoulders with its natural wave. The jewelry she chose was a dark purple color and seemed to finish off the outfit. Not wanting to over do it, but not be completely under dressed, Carly felt she had went the in the right direction. It was her birthday, and even though the celebration wasn't for her, it felt good to dress up, even though she was alone.

She had expected to make her appearance and leave but that didn't seem to be the case. Her name was on the list of VIPs and she was instructed to walk the make shift red carpet of the evening and smile for various photographer. Not seeing how it was relevant, she had tried to pass it off but if this is how things were to be done, then she'd smile and get it over and done with. Finally, when she was finally inside, it seemed easy to find a familiar face and someone to mingle with. It eased her nerves with the fact that she wasn't a big Hollywood 'A-Lister' but she was famous with her own crowed. Producers knew her, as did a fare share of musicians and record labels. Too bad she wasn't dying to fit in.

Taking her time, she mingled and sipped drinks through out the night even though Carly wasn't a drinker in any sense of the word. It's what people did at these type of things and she didn't want to look like a total idiot so she went along. It had been almost an hour of being there when Carly finally spotted Gavin, or Gavin spotted her more like. She was chatting randomly with some manager of an up and coming pop singer when he had come strutting across the room, dressed in a fancy pair of designer jeans, a deep red shirt with a black suit jacket. Carly bit her lip, cursing her thoughts. Taken or not, he looked good!

He spotted her and she turned, their eyes meeting and she couldn't prevent mirroring the smile on his face. She barely had time to excuse herself before he wrapped her in his arms and twirled her around. "You came!" He smiled.

Once he set her on her feet, Carly gained her balance back. "I came." She stated simply, though she was still smiling.

His hands dropped from her arms slowly, but he still hadn't stepped back. "Thank you. Are you having a good time?"

Carly nodded, tucking her hair behind her ear nervously with one hand and tracing her fingers around the rim of her glass with the other. "Yes, Thank you. It looks like you're gonna be a star."

Gavin blushed. "I haven't done anything yet. And if I am, I owe it all to you."

Laughing, she shook her head. "You're talent stands alone, Gavin. I saw exactly how hard you worked."

He smiled graciously. "I did. With the help of you."

"Okay, enough ego boost. This is your release party, not mine."

"Ha, I hate being gushed over. It gets old. How are things?"

She shrugged. What a day to ask. "Things are good. You know.. "

"Still producing I see. Have you moved to LA permanently?"

Carly bit her lip. Another subject she didn't want to discuss. "Not officially yet. Still looking into my options."

Gavin nodded, understanding it was probably better to surpass the subject. "I understand." He shifted a little, scratching the back of his head nervously. "Are you going to be here for a while? I was thinking maybe we could um-- maybe we could catch up."

She couldn't help but chuckle. One minute he went from being the next big thing in music to a shy, self conscience man. "I don't have anywhere else to be." Carly said as her face fell but then she smiled again. "I'd love to catch up."

"Good." He said, the corners of his lips turning up. His hands went to his pockets where he shuffled his feel back and forth. "I'll come find you. Just.. don't leave."

"I won't." She said, unable to prevent the blush on her cheeks.

"Okay well--..." He trailed off, coming forward and wrapping her in a hug once again. "I'm gonna go mingle." He pulled her against him, his hand lingering against her back. "I'm really glad you're here." He whispered before finally pulling away.

Dammit, Carly cursed herself again, not being able to stop the heat on her face. It didn't help that she didn't try to discourage his comments. "Me too."

He finally pulled away, mixing in with the crowed of people but not before turning around and passing a quick wink in her direction. Maybe this was a bad idea.

 


It felt like Carly had been there forever, nearly talking to anyone and everyone she could possibly imagine. She was exhausted and nearly cranky by the time the party was finally winding down. People had come and gone and she almost felt a little ridiculous, sitting around and waiting for Gavin. Some birthday she thought.

Another 45 minutes had passed and she had finally had her share of fun. Seeing no sign of the guest of honor, Carly was about to exit club and hail a taxi when a hand caught hers from behind, slowly spinning her around. "Don't tell me the one person I've been most excited about seeing is leaving me for the night."

Carly turned around, tired and ready for a lecture. "I thought about it."

He looked disappointed. "You really want to leave?"

She simply shrugged. "I don't have to."

"Well then, come on. We're going to hang out, so turn that frown upside down." He said pulling her along.

Not being able to prevent her laugh, she followed. "You're such a dork."

Gavin laughed. "And you love me the way I am."

Not long after, Carly found herself sitting on a stool, legs crossed at a bar, while Gavin downed his first beer.

"You don't drink at all?" he asked, not believing her.

"Not really. I'm a really boring person."

He turned towards her. "I know for a fact you're not."

"Well right now, getting wasted doesn't seem like a bad idea."

Wide eyed, he almost didn't know what to say. She had gone from good girl, pleading her case to not caring in a matter of seconds. "Something you wanna share with the class?"

She shrugged. "Not really."

"Oh-Kay?"

"What should I order?" Carly asked clueless. "What gets you buzzed pretty quick?"

Gavin laughed, stunned. "Seriously? Are you sure you want to do that?"

Sick of caring, Carly found her answer simple. "Yes." She said tossing her ID on top of the bar. "Tell me what to order."

"Jack and coke would be fine if you want to start slowly." He said, picking up her ID and scanning over it. "Shot's if you're going right for the kill, though I wouldn't recommend that."

"Jack and coke it is then." Carly said, nodding to the bartender.

"Nice picture." Gaven stated absently. "Um, what the hell, Carly.. Your birthday's today or um, yesterday." He said glancing at his watch.

She shrugged, choosing not to endorse his comment. "Yeah, so."

He looked at her like she was crazy. "Why aren't you out celebrating?"

"Um, because I came to your release party." She said, taking a big gulp of the drink that had been sat in front of her and cringing.

"Why do I feel like theres more to this story?"

"Because you're Gavin and you press for dirt."

He laughed, pulling the drink from her hands before she dried to down it. "That's right. I am Gavin and we used to be friends so you're going to tell me why you're alone on your birthday."

"Ugh." Carly scoffed. "JC's in New York."

He nodded. "I figured this might have something to do with him."

"He's working." She shot back quickly.

Gavin held his hands up in defense. "I didn't say anything about the guy."

She pulled the drink back from his grasp, taking a big gulp. "I know. Ugh, let's just talk about something else."

"Carly, please. Come on." He pulled her up, his hand keeping her face looking at him. "Stop this. Tell me what's up."

Letting out a loud, dramatic sigh, Carly sat up straight in the bar stool. "He's in New York working on his album. I feel guilty because each time I talk to him, he's in a bad mood about it and I can tell he just doesn't want to be doing it but I keep trying to be encouraging, reminding him that he has to go through these rough spots. Then, at the same time I have selfish thoughts, wishing he was here with me, now being one of those moments."

"I don't see how that's selfish."

"And I'm mad at myself. He seemed so disappointed that he couldn't come home and I feel almost stupid for being mad but in a way, I want to be. I feel like I have the right even though I understand."

"It's okay to be mad Carly. My gosh, you're only human."

"Yeah yeah." She rolled her eyes, ordering a shot of something and downing it quickly. "I really miss him."

Gavin nodded, placing a comforting hand on her shoulders. "I know you do, babe."

She looked back at him almost guiltily. "I'm sorry for being like this. I don't want to ruin your night. I can just call a cab--."

"Carly stop." He laughed. "You are not ruining my night. This has to be a shitty birthday. I'm sure you could use a friend."

Smiling, her hand covered his. "You're right."

He winked, grasping her delicate fingers with his. "So tell me what you've been up to."

"Work, work, and more work, or so it seems."

"That's it? You've been in LA for a while now right?"

Carly nodded. "Yeah. It just kinda happened that way."

"Happened?"

"I went back home for a while after things in London...uh happened. I came back to fix the shit they had screwed up with your album and--." He interrupted her.

"I wanted to tell you thank you times a million for that, by the way. I never go the chance to. Continue though."

She smiled, winking back at him. "Anyways, I was trying to take some time apart from JC, give him time to think, me time to think and of all people to come and bail me out in the middle of the night, it had to be him. I tried to be strong, keep things neutral and my damn appendix had to burst and I ended up in the hospital, having emergency surgery with JC there by my side."

"Which just proves you guys should be together. You can tell he loves you more than anything, Carly."

"I know that dammit. I just wish he was here with me right now. I want my own selfish moment. I want to drop everything..."

"You want him to put you first." Gavin, finished.

"Today, yes. Any other day I'd have understood. I seriously hate myself right now."

Gavin winced as Carly downed another shot and soon became tearful. He now knew why she didn't drink. "You have no reason to hate yourself, Carly. Stop it. And seriously, no more alcohol for you." He said, waving off the bartender.

"Whatever." Carly mumbled as he pulled an arm around her shoulders. Gavin was even more shocked when her head fell softly against his own.

"When is he coming back?"

"Don't know."

"Maybe you should go home, er back to...?" He trailed off, not knowing how to finish the sentence.

"JC's."

Gavin nodded. "I figured as much."

Her head still hadn't left his shoulder. "He asked me to move in."

"Why wouldn't he Carly? He loves you and you work in LA more than Chicago. It fits, just like the two of you."

She turned to look at him through bleary eyes. "Look at you, being all good guy and stuff."

"Ha, I try." He reasoned. Gavin nearly jumped when Carly's cell phone went off in her small clutch purse. He watched as she pulled the device out and stared blankly.

"It's JC."

"Answer it?" He questioned, even though in her descending condition, it might not have been the best idea but it was too late.

"Yeah?" Came her open greeting.

"Carly? Did I wake you."

"Na no."

He could hear music in the background. "Where are you?"

"Why does it matter?" She challenged.

"Carly, seriously, where the hell are you?" His voice came out in a panic.

"Obviously not with you.. " She spat out and Gavin cringed. This was not going well. He contemplated reaching for her phone and hanging it up.

"Dammit, I told you I was sorry." JC said getting agitated. He had just had a day from hell and the extra argument he got in with his so called 'record label' hadn't gone well. "Did you go out?"

"I told you I was going to Gavin's release party."

"So that's where you are?"

She looked at Gavin, smiling wickedly. "Sure."

"Seriously Carly, where are you? You're scaring the shit out of me right now."

"I can take care of my self JC. We're at the bar, catching up."

"You and some friends?"

"Yeah, Gavin is one of my friends." She stated breezily.

Covering his face in his hands, Gavin could see bursts of drama coming out of her phone.

"You're there, with... just him?" He ask, his voice trailing off, but laced with hurt.

"Yeah, JC I am. Excuse me if I didn't feel like being alone on my birthday."

He had been through what he thought were all of her moods. This was one he had yet to see. "Have you been drinking?"

"Maybe."

"Carly, why in the hell are you doing this? You need to get a cab and come home right now."

She scoffed. "You mean go home to an empty house? No thank you."

"Dammit, what's gotten into you, Carly? I said I was sorry. Don't make me get on a fucking plane right now just to make sure you're safe."

Laughing, she looked at Gavin. "I'm a big girl and you have to work. Bye, JC." She said, pulling the phone away from her ear and hanging up.

Gavin looked around wide eyed, never thinking he'd see this side of Carly. She was officially gone. "Okay, babe. I think it's time we go home."

"Nooooooooooo." She whined, wrapping her arms around his shoulders, head resting there. "I don't want to be alone tonight."

Gavin looked down at her, completely torn between wanting to protect a friend and not wanting to get in between their relationship again. "You can come home with me then." He whispered against her hair, before pressing a soft kiss at her temple. "Shhh, calm down, Carly. I've got you." He finally gave in. It was her birthday and he hadn't seen her in what felt like forever. Drunk or not, he still wanted to be with her.

Slowly, the walked towards the exit of the bar, in search for a taxi.

**

Carly opened one eye at a time, her vision blurry. She waited for a second, hoping the pounding in her head would go away but it didn't. Her hands instantly came to her face, trying to prevent the light that was seeping through windows. There seemed to be a lot of them. She tried to think for a second, doing a quick run down of all of the places she had slept. JC's room had plenty of curtains, as did her loft. Where the hell was she?

Rolling to her side, the naked back that came in to her sight wasn't one that she was familiar with. She vaguely remembered going to Gavin's release party last night and then going to a bar with him after. Her throat seemed to close as little bits and pieces started to come screaming back. What the hell had she done?



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc showersex jc producerjc