Author's Chapter Notes:

Okay, so first things first. I shouldn't watch The Notebook while I write.. LOL But anyways, it's an update, a lot faster than I thought. I hope everyone had as good Christmas! 

The chapters are running out for these two and I'm getting sad! I hope you all are still reading. Don't be scared to leave a review with your comments/suggestions. I know this story is a roller coaster.  It's the beauty of writing. But yes, moving on. Please enjoy :)

Also, have a safe and Happy New year!

-Mel 

A Million Faces in a Crowd
Chapter 33.

JC stood there, decked out in dark jeans and black turtleneck, his face held a days growth and suddenly Carly forgot how to breath. It had only been a week but suddenly it felt like a lifetime. He took the first step, coming closer to her as he looked her up and down familiarizing himself with the woman he loved. JC swore he'd never seen more gorgeous site then Carly standing there in her typical low rise jeans and teal colored sweater. He couldn't think of anything else at the moment besides the feel of her in his arms. Regardless of everything, he needed to feel her close to him, heart to heart.

He took another step, cautiously pulling her into his arms. He didn't know how she'd taken him being there and for all he knew, it could backfire at any second and she could start screaming and kick him out. He held his breath, holding the scent of Carly that belonged to her alone and let it go when she relaxed in his embrace. His arms tightened, trying to absorb, trying to forget it all. Wanting to kick himself, JC wondered what in the hell took him so long to get there right at this moment. Right there, with her, was where he needed to be, if only for the moment. To feel her heart beating against his somehow temporarily soothed his insecurities.

They had no idea how long it had been but when Carly finally pulled back, JC tried to read her reaction, tears already glittering in her eyes.

"How'd you get here? I thought you had meetings and deadlines, and...-."

"I left." JC said simply.

Her eyes looked back at him confused. "You just left?"

His hands never left her arms. "Yes. I told them I had somewhere I needed to be. I didn't ask, I didn't give deatails."

"Jace, your career-you don't need to go doing things like that just for.--"

"Carly!" He said, his voice louder.

"What?" She asked, looking flabbergasted.

"I needed to be here with you, for us. Stop worrying about my job. It just is what it is, okay?"

"If you're sure..."

He tipped her chin up, looking back at her, seriousness all over his face. "I'm sure." This time, his voice was much softer.

She stared at him for some time, and JC couldn't read her thoughts for once. She seemed excited he was there but confused one second, and out of reach of words. He began to realize that being in front of her parents might cause some tension between the two of them. After all, a lot of mending needed to be done, if it was even possible.

And it all typical Carly fashion, his thinking got the best of him and at the turn of dime, she was back in his arms again, just holding on, absorbing him, taking him in. Maybe something had changed over their time apart.

When they finally did pull apart, Carly wasn't surprised to see her sister checking over them out of the corner of her eye from the kitchen, a sly smile took over her face.

"You knew about this huh?"

Cassidy smiled, hugging JC in welcome. "I may have known a thing or two, very last minute."

"You guys are evil."

"He's here now. All evil thoughts aside, Car. Dinner will be ready in ten. And I'm glad you're here, JC. Welcome to our crazy family."

"Thank you. And thanks for your help with surprising her."

Cassidy smiled and turned to walk back into the kitchen.

Thanksgiving dinner seemed to go off easily. Everyone welcomed JC with open arms and if their was any tension towards him, no one showed it. They all kept their distance, letting the couple be together and quietly observing from afar. When dinner was over, everyone had retired to the family room to watch football, Carly joined him on the love seat and JC was surprised when she leaned easily against him.

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, holding her against his side and almost bit his tongue with all of the things he wanted to say. He knew it wasn't the time, that this was their first thanksgiving together and her family surrounding him and he needed to just live in the moment. Regretfully, he felt like he was on a time card and it would just be a matter of time before he had to get back to New York or wherever the hell they were sending him. It was getting old fast.

He was snapped out of his thoughts quickly be a warm breath and the soft brush of lips dangerously close to his ear. "I'm really glad you're here."

JC turned to smile down at her. "Me too."

Bravely, Carly reached for his hand and laced their fingers together for what seemed like the millionth time since meeting him. "Theres so much I wanna say.."

"I know. Me too."

"We can leave." She suggested.

JC shook his head, pulling her closer to him, so she was almost on his lap. "This is all a part of thanksgiving too, honey."

She looked around at her family, most nearly passed out from their food hangovers, the others chatting animatedly, children laughing in the the other room.

"Okay, but not much longer."

He winked at her, seeming to temporarily pacify her. He tried not to let it cross his mind that he had yet to kiss Carly since he had arrived hours earlier. It just seemed so up in the air. Did she want him to? What would her family think? Things needed to be discussed soon. He couldn't just sit there and not know. Not when he felt so much.

They sat their, chatting with family, when JC felt the brush of her fingertips graze just below his thick sweater. As her hand was obstructed from the view of others, she seemed to take advantage of sitting on his lap. He tried to keep his thoughts at bay, keep them clean and stay focused in the conversation he was having with Carly's brother-in-law but it quickly became too much. His body reacted to hers like the flip of a switch and even though it wouldn't take more than a second to fall into her touch, he felt that Carly just needed to feel close to him. She'd never been the clingy type but with everything going on, this was laying it on thick. He just hoped it wasn't for the benefit of her family. For all he knew, once they left her sisters home, she could end things completely.

When the conversation died down, her noted her soft hand had now begun rubbing soft circles against his lower back. She still sat comfortably in his lap. Privacy seemed to be the only thing missing.

Nuzzling her neck, he quietly whispered against it. "You about ready?"

She looked down at him. "Yeah. Are you?"

"Mmmhmm." He decided to keep his comments about her closeness to himself. She shouldn't have to justify to him why she chose to feel him that way.

They said their goodbyes and JC took time to thank Carly's sister for helping him on his little scheme of getting there. It wasn't long before they were in Carly's car making the fifteen minute drive to her loft. The radio played softly, providing some sound for the silence that came between them. Finally, JC had had enough.

"I don't know where to begin...."

Carly looked up from watching the road. "Me either. Thank you for coming. I'm glad my family finally got to meet you."

For some reason, the word finally stung a little. Technically he had met her sister, brother in law and niece.

"You're welcome. I like you're family."

She gave out a soft chuckle. "Are you sure you won't-."

"Carly, let me worry about it okay?"

"Are you sure I'm worth this?"

JC's eyes nearly popped out of his head. "Sure? What the hell Carly? Where is this coming from? I wanted to be here with you."

She shrugged. "I was just surprised."

They were getting nowhere quick. "Well that comment right their makes me feel like a shitty boyfriend. I'm trying here. I thought our relationship was worth fighting for but if this is a one sided thing.."

"I never said that." She interjected.

"Well thats how I feel." JC threw his hands in the air. "I don't know how to fix this, Carly. You've got to help me here."

She let out a defeated sigh, pulling up in front of the loft. "I don't know either."

"So everything back at your sisters, all the touches, everything- it was just for show?"

Suddenly something in Carly seemed to soften and her guard was let down a little. "No Jace. I'd hope you know me better than that."

"I thought I did." He said as they got out of the car, his bags in tow as they walked up to the loft.

Once inside, JC took in his surroundings. A part of him always stayed her, remembered the smells, easily took in the surroundings. Her loft was a stepping stone for them. It held so many firsts for them in becoming more than just friends. It almost pained him to know that he could walk away from the loft with nothing. H needed to clear his head.

"I'm going to take a shower." JC said, walking past her and up to the bedroom. He didn't ask. He didn't feel the need to. He just knew he needed some distance, as if they hadn't already had enough.

Carly stood their, almost dumbfounded. How had her emotions been so up the minute she saw him standing in front of her, to being so confused, frustrated and out of sorts the next? She had already put him in a bad mood, made him feel like shit and it was all because of her attitude.

When he emerged from the bathroom, some twnty minutes later, she was almost shocked to see him come out in lose gray sweats, minus a t-shirt. Water still clung to his shoulders where it had dripped from his hair. His feet were bare and he bit the bottom of his lip nervously.

Apparently, her surprised look wasn't lost on him. "I just forgot my shirt."

"I didn't say anything."

"I could tell you were surprised." JC said, pulling on a white v-neck.

"Surprised. Not mad."

"Okay.." He stood there, lost on which step to take next. She was already dressed for bed, wearing a pair of boxers and a long sleeve shirt. Was he even invited to bed?

What she did surprised him. Fidgeting nervously, she looked down at her hands before looking up at him with big green unsure eyes. "I'm so sorry, Jace. For all of this."

He wondered if their was a hidden meaning behind all of this. "What did you do, honey?"

Standing from the bed, Carly began to pace. "For all of this. For putting you through this shit. For not being clear, for not knowing. I hate myself."

He immediatly walked up to her, pulling her into his arms and wrapping her trembling frame against his own. "Hey.. stop it. You have no reason to hate yourself. We can take it one step at a time. Go through all of the good and bad. This can't all be you're fault or we wouldn't be here. We'll figure it out, honey."

She shook her head. "I don't know why you keep fighting. Why you keep pushing for us."

He pulled back, looking at her as if she was insane. His brows were drawn together, his cheekbones sharp as ever and his eyes a deep shade of blue.

"Because I love you, Carly. More than I've ever loved anyone in my entire fucking life. From tips of my fingers, down to the toes and everywhere in between."

His declaration took her breath away. No matter where their roads took them, she'd never forget the look in his eyes right then. So fierce. So sure.

"Even after all of this?"

He tipped her chin up, making sure she could see him. "Even after all of this."

Carly crashed and burned right then and there, her tears coming down steady. He pulled her against him again, kissing her eyes softly. "It's okay Carly. I won't give up on us."

"I've never known someone like you, Jace. After all the uncertainties.."

"It's life. You fight for what you want. Who you love. What you believe in." Slowly, he walked them over to the bed, pulling the covers back. Once she was in, he waited only a second with hesitation before wrapping his arms around her from behind, his chin resting in the crook of her neck.

"I know I've said it before, but I really don't know where to begin. I don't know how much more I can take tonight."

"Then don't. We're both tired. Drained from today. Who know's where we'd end up if we started now. Theres always tomorrow."

"You'll be here?"

JC swallowed thickly. It'd be cutting things close but he didn't give a shit right now. They had just began to tread the violent waters and it'd take one second for them to drown. Carly hadn't even said she'd loved him yet.

"Yes, honey. I'll be here."

"Okay."

Her reply was simple. For some time, the only things that could be heard was the soft murmurs of their breathing and the faint sounds of the city below them. It was Carly who broke the silence.

"Jace?"

"Hmm?"

"I love you."

He closed his eyes for a second, pulling her back against him even more. His heart still skipped a beat as if it was the first time she had said it to him. He reached over, in search of her lips and was surprised to see she was meeting him half way. He rubbed his lips over hers, not to ignite something more, but just to be feel her against him. It had been so long. He needed something to hold onto, to keep him going.

"I love you. Just rest. I'm not going anywhere."

He could only speak for himself at that moment. It was almost as if Carly didn't want to tell him what was really wrong, like she was holding something back. He just hoped he survived whatever morning brought.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc showersex jc producerjc