Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey everyone! Sorry this chapter took a while and I left you with a cliffhanger. The closer I get to the end, the more anal I become and I needed to leave room for changes and what not that popped in my head along the way. I'm thinking I've got about 3 chapters left of this story (if I can let go) but I hope you're all still with me. 

Enjoy :)

A Million Faces in a Crowd
Chapter 37.


Walking down the hallway, Carly tried to swallow the dry lump in her throat. Matt had said nothing, had given her no further details and her heart hadn't stopped beating rapidly ever since. She could tell something was off with him the second she had stepped out of the bathroom the night before. It was just an instinct. Still, her instincts could be wrong. This was New York City wasn't it? It was full of traffic, of people hustling and bustling all over the place and of course, there was your fair share of freaks. Someone could have hurt JC, hell even a fan? She'd recalled the insane stories JC had told her about such instances back when he toured with Nsync. She tried to calm her breathing, in an out, in and out, Carly told herself.

Stopping at the front desk to get the room JC was in, Carly tried to take her steps two at a time. When she came down the hallway, she let out a small breath as she spotted Matt leaning up against the wall outside of the room. Her immediate reaction was to start yelling- to go into protective mode but she still didn't know what the hell was going on. All she cared about was that JC was alright.

"Matt!" she called, stopping on front of him.

"Carly!" He rushed out.

"What the hell happened? Is he alright?" She asked, ready to open the door to his room.

"Yeah. He just passed out. He said he hasn't been feeling good."

Carly scoffed, shaking her head and trying to swallow her outrage.

"He passed out? Why the hell was he even working Matt? You knew he wasn't feeling good. It's clearly written all over him."

Matt looked back at her, shock written all over his face. "He's done it before Carly. It's not like it was a big deal."

"Not a big deal? That man has been busting his ass like a damn puppet for you. Spending his days and nights might I add, recording, being dragged here and there. You were suppose to be his friend Matt. Not drag him around until he just collapses."

Matt shurrged innocently. "It's all a part of the buisiness Carly. You know how this stuff goes. Besides, I'm sure what he used to do back in the day was ten times gruling then the schedual we have."

She let out a deep sigh of frustration, trying her best to bite her tongue. "Newsflash! He's not twenty four either!"

"This isn't all my fault Carly. He's been under a lot of stress recently too if I don't recall."

Her eyes went wide as her blood being to boil. "You're going to blame this on me?"

Matt held his hands up in defense. "I'm just saying he's been under some stress with what was going on with you too."

Carly bit her lip, taking his words to heart but she refused to show it. She knew he'd been through hell with the roller coaster they were constantly on but that was in the past. She didn't want to think about those days. It all seemed so pointless now. It almost made her sick to think about causing JC any kind of added pain with what he was already dealing with. She suddenly felt like a horrible girlfriend.

"Thanks. I'm pretty sure I know him a little better than you when we're concerned."

"Carly, I wasn't trying to--." He called, but his objection was quickly silenced.

"Save it Matt. I need to go see how he's doing. Oh and just so you know, he will be going back home to get some rest and to recover. I assume this won't be a problem."

Matt stood there speechless, or maybe it was the fact Carly didn't wait for his response as she turned on her heels to open the door to JC's room.

Her heart stopped, and her breathing faltered a little as she took in his tall, slender form, laying against a hospital bed. And IV machine lay beside him, the long tube leading his hand, as another machine beeped every once in a while. His once chisled cheekbones were even more defined and their were dark circles under his eyes, the rest of his skin paler than she remembered. She felt right away that Matt had left out a great bit of details on how serious JC really was. She jumped a little as a gray haired man tore open the curtain across the room and walked over to record JC's vitals on his clipboard.

"I didn't mean to startle you. I'm Dr. Anderson." The man said, outstreaching his hand, which Carly shook easily.

"I'm Carly. Is he okay? What happened?"

Dr. Anderson nodded. "He was serverly dehydrated and run down. I guess he hit his head when he passed out."

Carly's eyes went wide. "He hit his head?" She practically yelled.

"That's what they said when they brought him in. It might have given him a small concussion. I advise he get a lot of rest and fluids and cut back on whatever he's been doing. I'd never seen vitals that out of whack before. I'd say he has a serious form of exhaustion going on right now."

"A concussion? Does he have to stay?" Carly asked, breathing out a small sigh of relief but it still didn't dissipate her nerves. For some reason, she wanted to vent her anger on Matt more than she already had.

"We're waiting on the results from his CAT scan and we're going to watch him for the next few hours and give him some IV fluids and see if we can get him more stable, but it's possible he could be discharged today if everything comes back alright."

Nodding, it was all Carly could do not to take a few steps forward and wrap JC in her arms as her eyes began to sting. "Thank you." she told the doctor, shakily as he nodded kindly and left the room.

Standing their, she had to push herself as she took the small steps over to his bed standing in front of him. Anger boiled inside of her. She had a feeling something wasn't right and she wanted to kick herself for not being more adamant with him. He needed some time off, more than a day or two and guilt ran over her with all the stress she knew he'd probably been through, because of her and her insecurities and uncertenties. He didn't need it. She should have listened the handful of times he'd complained about working so much, about how making an album wasn't what it used to be and maybe deep down, this is what he was trying to tell her. He just couldn't keep up. Once again, she felt like a terrible girlfriend.

Cautiously, she brought a hand up, brushing it againt his forhead as her fingers swiped back some of his thick hair. His skin was warm against her hand which somehow made her feel a little better. It wasn't long before blue eyes, heavy and dazed fluttered open under long lashes and looked back at her. JC looked around for a second, trying to take in his surroundings as his eyes focused back on Carly, smiling weakly. His free hand that wasn't attached to tubes and machines traced over her arm until it reached the hand on his face. Carly wrapped her fingers through his, slowly lifting it to her heart where she held it there for a second before leaning down and kissing his knuckles. JC smiled back at her as she carefully sat down on the bed beside him. She tried to choose her words carefully, knowing there was so much she wanted to say. She'd been through it all within the last hour. Regret, fear, unconditional love, but JC beat her to the punch.

"I should have listened." He said, his voice dry, cracking.

Shaking her head, she brought her lips to his forehead. "Don't. I'm not here to place blame. How are you feeling?"

JC shifted slightly, but laughed despite his condition. "Kind of like I got hit by a truck. But better now."

"The doctor said you hit your head."

He looked back at her, as if he was registering her words. "Well than explains a lot. I remember standing up and feeling really dizzy but that's about it."

Carly reached a hand up to trace his face and smiled when he leaned into it. "You over did it tough guy. The doctor said they were waiting on results of your CAT scan to see if you have a concussion or not. He said you could probably be discharged later today."

"Good. I freaking hate hospitals. I have no idea how in the hell they got this IV in my hand either."

"I think you were pretty much out of it. I'm just glad you got here. I was scared to death, Jace."

He reached for the hand that had been on his face and kissed it reassuringly. "I'm sorry Carly. I honestly thought i'd be fine."

"Stop apologizing. I'm just glad you're okay. You've needed some time off for a while now."

"Yeah but I've got all this shit to do and.--"

Carly looked back at him like he was crazy. "Jace, no. You need to rest before you really get sick. I told Matt you'd be going home."

He looked back, surprise written all over his face. "You told Matt?"

"Yes I did. And you're coming with me. Don't make me call your mother." She told him firmly, but her smile breaking through at the end.

JC chuckled weakly before tugging her hand so she lay against his chest. Carly tried to protest, not wanting to bump him or any of the machines or wires attached to his body. When she finally relented, she gently laid her head against his shoulder and twisted her body so her knees rested beside his. Her hand went around his stomach, trying to get as close to him as possible without crushing him. JC seemed to be needing the same thing as his body seemed to gravitate against hers. Her turned his head easily, brushing his lips to her temple, before speaking once again.

"It's good to have my sassy pants back."

"Good. You're stuck with me."

"Promise?" He asked, his tired eyes looking down into hers, holding their gaze.

Her breathing faltered a little and she couldn't put a finger on why. He was just looking down at her so intensely. So sure.

"Mmmhmm."

He brushed some hair off of her forehead before tucking it behind her ears. "Good. And 'stuck' isn't the right word. More like wonderfully attached."

"Yes, that." She said, wondering why he chose now to get technical with his words. "Rest SuperMan."

JC chuckled softly before settling them on the small hospital bed before he reached for her hand again, placing it over his heart and shutting his eyes. "Whatever you say Sassy pants."

Carly finally took a reassuring breath knowing that thus far, JC was going to be okay. He was lucid, he was talking, she could feel his warm skin against her own. He had to be okay. From the moment she'd picked up her phone and Matt mentioned the world hospital in reference to him, she couldn't think straight. They'd been through so many ups and downs, that she had no idea what she'd do without him. She didn't want to think about it. He was here, safe with her at the moment and right now, that's all that mattered.

Several minutes had passed with no dialogue and Carly was sure JC had fallen asleep until he stirred a little and tightened his hold on her, bringing her closer to his side.

"Carly?"

She looked up into hesitant eyes. "Yeah baby?"

"I don't know if I can keep doing this."

Instantly confused, she tried to sit up but his arm around her would budge. "Keep doing what?"

"This." He waved a hand aimlessly. "Pushing myself. It's not like it used to be."

Carly thought she understood what he was saying. He'd made similar claims before but she always told him it'd pass. Maybe this was natures way of confirming what he already knew. Still, he was exhausted, physically, mentally and probably emotionally. She refused to agree with anything he said in this state. Instead, she tried to offer the best advice she knew.

"You need to rest, Jace then you can reassess. Just know that whatever you decide, I'm right here."

Her answer seemed to pacify him. "Thank you, honey."

"Your welcome. Now rest." She sassed, winking up at him.

His soft smile and the wink he gave her in return was enough of a response before he finally closed his eyes.

****
Carly paid the taxi driver as she rounded the car to help JC out. After getting the okay from the doctor that JC's CAT scan had come back fine and he'd been pumped with fluids for a good three hours, the doctor had released him from the hospital, advising him to rest up and drink plenty of fluids. Carly had went into protective mode, assuring that she'd see he did exactly what was advised.

It was late and the flight had been long, unable to find anything without a layover at the last minute. Thankfully, JC had done well, using the down time to sleep. She could only hope he'd keep up with the habit. After all, it was one of his favorite past times.

Once the luggage had been carried inside, Carly carefully led JC up the stairs and into the house, no matter how many times he had protested and told her that he wasn't handicapped.

She could only laugh at him, knowing darn well that if she were the one that had just been in the hospital, he'd be doing the same thing and it flashed in her memory that she had indeed been on that side. He'd always taken such good care of him. It never even crossed her mind not to instinctively do the same. Not out of obligation, but out of love.

"I forgot how much I missed home." JC said, plopping down on the couch and kicking off his shoes.

"See, and to think you protested leaving New York."

Opening one eye that had heavily fallen shut, he looked back at his girlfriend. "I still can't believe you told Matt off."

She bit her tongue and just simple shook her head. "I don't care for him."

Coming fully alert, he peered back with questioning eyes. "Why not, babe?"

Thinking to herself, Carly knew she couldn't tell JC what Matt had said, at least not right now. He was tired, worn down and it was late. He didn't need to deal with that. Maybe she'd tell him later that Matt had practically blamed JC's exhaustion on her and totally devoided himself of the situation. She knew better but it still stung. She took a deep breath before she spoke again, silently praying he'd let it be. That he wouldn't get inside her head and know their was more to the story.

"Protective instincts. That's all." Carly shrugged.

He smiled warmly. "Always a ball buster. Always on my side."

She winked back in return. "And to think, you get to sleep in your own bed tonight too."

"Mmm yes. With my girlfriend too." He smirked, quirking a sleepy eye open and pulling her gently so that she fell onto his lap.

"I do make a good pillow."

JC's face fell. "Among other things."

She adjusted her legs so that she was now straddling his lap, and brought her hands against his cheeks.

"Sorry superman. The doctor said you needed rest and I don't think that involves rolling around in the sack."

She tried to suppress her laugh at the scoff off disappointment that escaped his lips.

"I never agreed to this." He pouted.

Leaning forward, she kissed him quickly. "Sorry Jace. Doctors orders."

JC moved forward, capturing Carly's lips with his own again. This time, he didn't let up, taking control, deepening it quickly as his hands traced her sides where her shirt had ridden up.He smiled against her lips, feeling her instantly shiver. When they couldn't breath, the both pulled apart panting, still JC remained close.

"I bet I could make you break the rules." He whispered.

"Ugh, Jace, you really don't play fair. I have no doubt you could make me break the rules but you need rest. As much as I'd rather finish what you started, your health means more to me."

Despite his frustration, her constant concern for him went directly to his heart. It was like all she cared about was him and his health and forget whoever got in the way. She'd be by his side. Dropping his hands, he wrapped his arms around her until her chest was pressed against his own. He smiled against her shoulder when she squeezed back, warm and comforting.

"Alright." He finally relented. "But can I at least get a rain check?"

Carly leaned her forehead against his until her nose nuzzled his. "Yes you can. Just understand why I'm saying no for now. I don't want to have to get out a dictionary and read you the definition of physical exhaustion."

He swatted her butt playfully. "Well, well, well. Miss Sassy pants must have snuck her way into your carry on."

Laughing, Carly patted her eyelashes prettily. "You love me."

"Well, I suppose." He rolled his eyes.

Deciding to play the dramatic card, she looked back at him, her eyes wide, ready to protest before she squealed feeling his hands on her legs as she was flipped back against the couch, landing on her back as a heavy eyed JC lay softly between her legs. Her arms automatically came around his neck, as she bit her lip but gave him a look telling him that he knew better. He seemed to feed off of it because his head came down to lay in the crook of her neck, just like they'd slept many nights before. She began playing with the soft hair at the base of his neck and smiled as he practically purred, feeling it against her collar bone. He was silent for a second, but the sound of his voice interrupted that.

"I told you to never second guess that I love you, babe. More than music even."

Carly smiled, her heart swelling a little. He was playing by the rules for the moment.

"And I don't think you should ever second guess that I love you. More than music, or the moon and the stars in the sky."

"Oh look at you. Getting all poetic on me." He whispered, followed by a soft laugh as he felt Carly playfully smack his back.

"You're such a brat sometimes. I think you need to go take a shower or something and go to bed."

JC sat up a little, evil smile etched all over his chiseled face. "Or something? In the shower?"

That commented made him receive a slap on his side as Carly shook her head laughing.

"Is sex always on your mind?" She asked but then put her hand up at his eyebrows raised. "You know what? Don't answer that."

Now sitting on his knees, JC pulled her up against him, burying his face in her neck again. "I can't help it when my girlfriend is as hot as you are."

"Oh you're just a charmer tonight, huh Chasez? I'm pretty sure I gave into you when I got to New York and look where you ended up?"

He pulled back, his face serious. "That's not the cause for it Carly, and you know it."

She was semi shocked by his tone. He seemed so sure but his voice showed hurt Like he was trying his hardest not to place blame on her.

"Okay, Jace." She went to run a hand through his hair but was surprised to see him pull away and get up from the couch.

Carly stood there, partly shocked by the sudden change in his behavior. She wanted to go after him, to appoligize, for what for? She didn't know. Deciding to give him some time, she went to drag their suticases back to the bedroom and unpack. Unpack. The word kind of startled her as she began placing her clothes in the dresser JC had given her as her own. It had seemed so long since she unpacked her clothes and had nothing for work lined up in the near future. She tried not to think of JC's career being on a ticking clock. He'd eventually have to get back to finishing up the album and promoting it and he even mentioned something about a small tour before it came out?

Carly tried to stop the ache in her heart. He had said it wouldn't always be like this didn't he?

Hearing the shower start in bathroom just steps away, she pondered the thought of going in an joining him, of giving into his less than subtle hints. Carly knew the doctor was right though. He needed rest and sex was not exactly restful, at least not the type he had glittering in his blue eyes. She did her best to keep busy, trying to shake it from her thoughts, hoping she hadn't hurt him earlier.

Fifteen minutes later, she was just pulling a tank top over hear head when JC emerged from the bathroom door, white towel around his waist, hair still semi damp and curly, his chest broad and muscular, and lightly dusted with hair softer then it appeared. She swallowed thickly, trying to figure out why she hadn't ran after him, joining him in the shower as memories flashed back in her head. He'd come to Chicago, conveniently surprised her when she did everything to push away her feelings for him. Then he'd answered his hotel room door, this exact same way and her thought process had been shot to hell. Her breath hitched as he moved over beside her, into the large closet she was standing in and could almost feel the heat radiate off of him. This was where her willpower would come in handy only she didn't think it'd take much. He'd walked away mad.

Still she couldn't stay away long. Taking a leap of faith, although she stood there in just a tank top and her bikini panties, she turned to him, her body slowly wrapping around his slender waist. "I'm sorry Jace. I didn't mean to upset you earlier."

Feeling him take a big breath and let it out, Carly could tell he wasn't mad. "It's fine. Just forget about it."

His voice still sounded somber. Great.

"I can't just forget about it when you look at me like that. What's wrong?" She asked softly.

Carly's arms fell away as he reached for a pair of boxers, quickly pulling them on as the towel was discarded from around his waist. When he turned around, his features looked deep in thought among the fatigue that had come back. "I just hate this." He said softly.

Carly raised an eyebrow. "Hate what?"

He tossed his hands in the air as the muscles on his stomach moved easily, his anger boiling.

"This! I hate that I have to be in the damn hospital to get some time off. I hate that because of that, I have to spend this time fucking sleeping and resting and whatever else they told me to do or not to do. I don't want to have to have permission to make love to my girlfriend either! I hate that this time is just doing to be like a giant ticking clock until I have to go back. This isn't what I asked for dammit."

Standing their, it clicked in Carly's mind that he was thinking exactly what she had been.

Crossing the floor, she wrapped her arms around him once again, the heat of his skin searing through her thin tank top, her eyes almost level with his.

"Jace, stop thinking so much. Pretend their is no clock. Matt didn't give you a date you had to be back so just relax okay? I know you've got deadlines and scheduals and what not but try not to think about it. Let's let this time be about you getting better and about us and no one else alright? I know exactly what you mean. It seems theres never enough time to just be us. To not have worries and doubts and constant stress of work and what not. You just need a few nights good rest." She smiled against his shoulder when he pulled her tightly against him.

"I guess you're right. I'm sorry I'm being such a baby."

Carly pulled away, keeping on of his hands laced with hers as she led them to the bed, sliding under the covers. She smiled as he opened his arms easily inviting her against him, his scent enveloping her. She reaching up, kissing him quickly, tracing the dark circles under his eyes.

"You're not a baby Jace. Those are all valid complaints. You just voiced them a lot better."

"You've really been thinking all this to?"

"Mmmhmm. And don't think you need permission to make love to your girlfriend Joshua. I'll admit that maybe I overreacted. I just want you to get better."

His hands began softly trailing up and down her arms, leaving goosebumps in their trail.

"It's okay Carly. I love that you care so much. I guess I just feel like we have to fit it in when we can to make up for the days and nights we're both gone. I didn't think I could ever miss someone like I do now."

Her heart instantly ached. It was like for once he was really telling her things he wouldn't normally say. His vulnerability was clear as day right now.

"I know what you mean but just try to think, the quicker you rest and get better, the more time their will be for the fun stuff. I promise I'll make it up to you."

He quirked an eye open, turning on his side, his legs tangling with hers. "Make it up to me how?"

Carly reached up to run her fingers through his still damp hair, feeling the heat of his chest radiate against her. It'd be so easy to just throw in the towel and have her way with him right now but still, she knew better. "I have my ways."

A groan came deep from his chest. "Babe, that's not fair."

She smiled back at him. "Oh, what I have in my head seems pretty fair."

"Can't you at least share a little bit with me?" He begged.

She laughed when his nose bumped against hers. "Hmm. I just know that it's going to be me and you, naked, hot and sweaty, tangled up in one another, making love like it'll never be enough."

"Hmmm." He said, pulling her body flush against his as he trailed his lips down her jaw. "Now theres something to fill my dreams with."

"Mmmhmm. But might I remind you that you're just going to make it harder on yourself if you keep this up, stud." Carly breathed out while her mind told herself to pull away but she just couldn't do it. His touches were addicting.

"Sorry. I was just...," He pulled away, his hands trailing down her to rest at the small of her back, holding her to him. "Getting a quick taste to last me until you, you make it up to me." He grinned, his eyes heavy with lack of sleep.

"Oh well then, let me help you out there." She grinned down at him, her eyes grinning evilly almost, bringing her lips to his where she took control, starting out slowly, working her lips with his. It didn't take long before she deepened it, his tongue quickly sliding against her own. Carly pushed him on his back, quickly straddling him and continuing where they'd left off. When it became hard to breath, she pulled away, their breathing both labored, she almost felt guilty once again.

"That should be illegal." JC rushed out.

"You asked for a taste. I was only a willing participant. That's what you get baby."

JC groaned uncomfortably and shifted their bodies so they lay side by side. Quickly reaching over for the bedside lamp and turning it off, he returned wrapped his arms around Carly.

"Yeah, I know that was my fault. I think it's time to go to sleep because if I'm not better soon, some rules are going to be broken. Doctors orders or not."

Carly laughed, snuggling back against him. "Sounds like a plan. I love you Jace. Night."

"Love you too babe."

***

Looking at the clock, Carly was pleased to see it was almost noon and JC was still fast asleep. She continued shuffling around the kitchen, working on making breakfast. It had been hard to pry herself from the warm and firm grip of his arms around her waist but her stomach won the battle. They hadn't eaten since before their plane had taken off the previous day and now once again, she was back on LA time. She decided her body would never get used to the constant switches, no matter how big or small they were.

Regardless of everything, it felt good to wake up with JC against her, to feel his warm breath against her shoulder. Everything had been so up and down for them and now, before she dare think it or say it out loud, Carly had the feeling things might be settling down. That they might be meeting some sense of normalcy. If only it could last.

She was flipping the French toast and getting ready to pore the scrambled egg's into another pan when she felt familiar arms come around her from behind.

"Morning babe." He breathed in the crook of her neck before placing a kiss there.

Leaning back against him, Carly wanted to melt. She couldn't prevent the sweet tingle that ran through her body when he held her. He'd always felt so sturdy and warm and words like 'safe' and 'secure' and 'loved' always seemed to pop into her mind whenever during times like these. It'd been so long since they'd woken up together without having to kiss goodbye and part ways. It felt way too good.

Turning in his arms, she wrapped hers around his neck, her cheek caressing the slight scruff on his face. The dark circles under his eyes had faded and he already looked ten times better then when she'd found him in the hospital. He still wore his boxers, only now his chest was covered with a black t-shirt, his feet bare.

"Good morning to you, stud. How're you feeling?"

He smiled down at her. "Better. Much better."

"Good. Hungry?" She asked, pulling away and going back to the stove.

"For your cooking? Yes." He answered, as he leaned over her shoulder to investigate what she was making.

"Grab a plate. It's about ready."

JC nodded, reaching up in the cupboard beside her. He once again came up behind her just as she'd shut off the stove.

"Okay but first, I need a good morning kiss." He said as his arms came around her waist, his hands caressing the exposed skin from her tank top, just below her bellybutton. Carly turned around as JC placed his hands on either side of the counter neatly trapping her. She could only grin back mesmerized, meeting him half way. It only lasted a few seconds, but when he pulled away, their lips were red and glossy with evidence of the kiss. "Much better." He smiled, before reaching over for a plate.

Carly could only smile back, still tasting him on her lips, feel his hands on her skin. It was now a good morning indeed.

**

Carly tried not to hover or nag, reminding JC to rest. His only explanation was that he'd slept in till noon already and was already feeling better and that messing around in his studio wasn't going to hurt anything. She wondered how he'd want to get anywhere near his studio after that's all he'd eat, slept and breathed for over the last month while in New York. Then she remembered the real JC, the one who when he wasn't doing it for work, loved to mess around, create different melodies, write lyrics that no one else would hear, and expose his voice in ways it hadn't been before. This was JC, the man who had soulful music flowing through his veins.

Still, it had been a few hours and it was a gorgeous day in LA. Carly was itching to get out and only counting down the hours until JC began doing the same.

Jogging down the stairs that led to the studio, she tapped on the closed door just slightly. If he didn't answer, she'd let him be.

"It's open." She heard his muffled voice call.

"Am I interrupting?"

He turned around from the keyboard in the corner of the room, smiling. "Not really. Just messing around. What's up?"

Walking the short distance, Carly went and sat in his lap. "I was just kinda bored. Wanted to know if you wanted to get out for a bit maybe? Make a Starbucks run or something?"

"Yeah I'll go. I just need to change real quick." He said running a hand down her arm.

"Okay." Carly said, smiling back.

"Carly?" JC asked after seconds ticked on and he still hadn't moved.

"Hmm?"

He grinned, running his fingers along her chin. "You spaced out on me."

"Oh.. " She said, coming back from her reverie. "I was just, enjoying the view."

He laughed, patting her leg as she finally stood up and he followed. "Enjoying the view huh?"

"Yes. My boyfriend is gorgeous. I can't help it." She said, reaching up and kissing him quickly before she made her way to the door.

Catching up with her, he pulled her back against him, burning his face in her neck and slowly kissing her. "My girlfriend is gorgeous too. And I don't want to help it."

"Mmm, we must be a perfect match then huh?" She said, her breath hitching.

"Yes." He said, his voice simple but firm.

JC did't want to think about it anymore than he already was but something was different between them since they'd left his parents house. Little arguments seemed to quickly be eliminated, small hints of a solid future no longer sent a panicked look into her green eyes and not that there was ever a lack in it before but the love Carly gave seemed to come more freer somehow, almost as if she had no reason to hold it back. At times he felt like he was often the one doing the giving, the vocal part of love but he was wrong. Carly was as much of a vocal lover as she was physically. He couldn't place a finger on it but something was definitely different between them for the better. He just hoped they were done jumping the hurtles.

Shaking him from his own thoughts, Carly poked him in the stomach once they landed at the top of the stairs.

"You in there stud?" She questioned, waving her hands in front of him. "Go get dressed. This girl needs a coffee fix ASAP."

He laughed, shaking his thoughts as he walked to the bedroom. She went to search for her wallet and her set of JC's car keys when she caught the tail end of her cell phone ringing in the kitchen. Quickly glancing at it, she saw she had a missed call from Gavin. Tucking it in her pocket, she decided she'd call him back later. Much later. She wasn't in the mood to deal with anything work related. As much as this was a mini recoopuperation for JC, it was for her too. They needed some time together, work and drama free.

And not long after, her thoughts were quickly tossed away as JC came down the hall, dressed as simple as possible but never looking more gorgeous. Her breath hitched as she took in the black althletic sweat pants he wore, along with a worn gray t-shirt with some kind of red vintage lettering on it, and his feet were left bare once again, minus the black flip flops he had on. His face, handsome and chiseled as always, showing just the slightest bit off texture to it. His hair looked thick and touchable, showing just the slightest bit of curl at the back. Speechless was the only phrase that came to Carly's mind. JC was without a doubt gorgeous.

For having just left the hospital, his blue eyes still sparkled in that way only his did. If being home didn't put him pack together, she'd never know what did.

"You're staring again."

Her eyes quickly lit up as she reached out for his hand. "Do you have any idea how seriously hot you look in that outfit?"

JC shrugged, looking over his atire. "I'm wearing sweats, babe."

Carly nodded, smoothing her hands up his chest. "And you look seriously freaking hot Joshua Scott. Don't ask me why. Just, take my word for it."

She couldn't exactly explain it. Several thoughts ran through her mind. He looked masculine and huggable all at the same time. It reminded her of spending a Saturday afternoon doing nothing in particular but still having the best time. He looked relaxed, lazy, but strong and very manly tumbled all into one. She'd seen him dress similar to work out but this just topped them all. This was her man.

"Oh-kay?" He said, looking down at her, a smile covering his face. "For the record, I could say the same about you." He told her, eying her attire of yoga pants and a t-shirt.

She shook her head, not paying attention to his comment. "So hot, I'm torn between my addiction to amazing caramel frappicino's or taking you back to bed and having my way with you."

"Oh yeah?" He quirked an eye, his nose bumping into hers.

"Yeah. But then we all know I'm a girl of reason so I figured we could go get coffee and then later.." She trailed off.

"Later?" He asked, leaning forward as she caught the scent of him strongly. It seemed his insatiable desire to be close to her was rubbing off. They were now meeting in the middle.

"Mmmhmm. But for now, let's get that coffee. And I may need a stick to keep off all the women in Los Angles that are going to be drooling all over you."

He laughed once again. "I highly doubt you'll have to do that Carly. Seriously though.. sweats?"

She nodded as they walked to the font door, fingers laced together. Turning quickly, she kissed him deeply, not letting up until she'd tasted him completely. "Seriously, Jace."

"Okay then. Apparently I'm going to have to dress down more often." He said, his eyes heavy and full of love.

Carly nodded, her smile beaming as she held on to his hand tight. "Maybe you just shouldn't wear anything at all."

JC chuckled, looking back into eyes showing a window of love. "Now theirs a loaded suggestion."

"Uh huh." She spoke before punching in the security code and opening the door, JC trailing behind her.

Stepping out into the bright California sunshine, they took note of several large Fed Ex boxes stacked on his steps. "What the heck? I don't remember ordering anything this big." He said, eyeing the name on the mysterious packages.

Leaning over his shoulder, Carly checked them just to be sure. "They're mine."

He turned around, curiosity written all over him. "What on earth did you buy that big and why so many?"

She suddenly didn't know how to answer him and that was unlike her. They'd discussed this. He'd asked. Heck, it was practically already how things were.

"I didn't buy anything. It's some of my stuff from the loft."

JC still looked confused, trying to lift one of the boxes. "Your stuff?"

"Yeah." She couldn't suppress the laugh that escaped her lips. He was trying so hard to figure it all out unless he already had and was just processing. Carly shooed him away from lifting, taking it from his hands and setting it inside the door.

When she reached for another one, his hands on her bicep stopped any further movements. "Are you moving in, Carly?" He asked, his voice thick.

She decided she needed some kind of confirmation again even though she'd bet her life on his answer. "If you still want me to."

"Yes." He told her, his hands wrapping around her waist, pulling her against him. It was a commitment and he'd take it come hell or high water. "You know I want you here with me."

Smiling, Carly let out a deep breath she didn't know she'd been holding. The last few weeks had really made her think, put things into perspective.

"Good. I wanna be with you."

"What about the loft? I know you love your house."

She held a hand up, finishing putting the last of the boxes inside the house in the entryway, deciding to deal with them later, as well as any other hurtles that needed to be dealt with.

"You know what? I don't want to know right now." He voiced taking her hand as she closed the door behind them once again, suddenly understanding her silent plea. "My girl wants her fancy coffee and the quicker we get to that, the quicker we can get to-- other things." He said, sending her a quick wink as she walked around to the driver side door, and sliding in. He wasn't about to argue that she was the one driving. He found it even a little sexy to see his girlfriend behind the wheel of his car, in control and all the while doing her best to 'take care' of him.

He even noticed the extra bounce in his step as he slammed his car door shut and heart skipped as Carly reached across the center of the car, in search for his hand as she backed out of the driveway. She was moving in. She openly and willingly decided to move in. It was hard for her to say she had already lived their most of the time anyways but she was brining her own possessions from Chicago to LA. It spoke of a future for them.

Carly turned her head, winking back at him, her fingers brushing softly over his knuckles. "You're a smart man, Jace."

He let out a content sigh, trying to ignore the fatigue that was already taking over him and replace it with the overwhelming rush of love he was feeling.

He just wished and prayed that the ticking clock they'd both mentioned earlier would somehow disappear for good. He wasn't about to let this go for anything.

***

Chapter End Notes:
A small light at the end of the tunnel for an unattended mean cliffhanger last chapter ;)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc showersex jc producerjc