Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey guys! I promise I haven't fallen off the face of the earth! I hope you all haven't forgotten about JC and Carly because I worked hard on this chapter, making sure I did it how I saw it in my head. So yeah, if you're reading, don't forget to show some love and leave me a review :) It makes the hard work I put into it that much better knowing you're all enjoying my story!

 

On to the reading part...  

A Million Faces in a Crowd
Chapter 39.

One Week Later 

JC stood in the doorway of the sliding window that led out the deck Carly had went to. She was sprawled out on one of the lounge chairs in and yellow bikini taking advantage of the bright L.A. sun.

"You sure you're legal in that thing?" JC questioned.

Carly removed her arms from her eyes and sat up. "There you are. I thought you got eaten by bears or something in your studio."

Smiling, JC came to sit on the edge of the chair between her legs. He easily reached for one of her hands as she leaned against him. "No bears. Just working."

She let out a sigh. "I guess it was pointless for me to believe that you might actually take advantage of this time and rest."

"I've done plenty of resting thank you very much. And this isn't work. I'm just messing around down there."

"And I wasn't invited?" Carly quirked, smiling back at him prettily.

"Babe, you know you're invited down their anytime you want to mess around." He told her, his voice husky as his hand began moving slowly up and down her back.

"I'll keep that in mind, Jace." She said, getting lost in his touch.

"So should I let you get back to your sunbathing?"

Carly looked up at him seriously, shaking her head as she leaned forward to kiss him. "Nope. You should lay down here with me if you have time."

Pulling back, nearly breathless, it took JC a minute to speak again. "I always have time for you babe." He pulled away briefly to pull the black t-shirt from his body, only to return stretching out on his side and pulling Carly down against him.

Humming in appreciation, Carly snuggled back against the heat of his chest as his arms came around her stomach. "Now this is much better."

"I have to agree with you. This feels nice."

Carly sighed in agreement, happy to just relax against him as silence slowly filled the air. The days since JC had come home from New York had been absolutely prefect. It seemed the time together was just what they had needed to reassess and start their relationship over. They spent their days sleeping in, lounging around, taking walks on the beach, random day trips, long late night talks and just being a normal every day couple. Talk of work never entered into their conversations, not wanting to spoil the moment. It seemed JC's fear of having to go back to the grind at the flip of a switch had subsided somewhat but Carly knew deep down that it was at the back of his mind, as well as hers. She almost hated herself for bringing it up after a while.

"So have you turned your phone on yet?" Carly finally asked, feeling JC instantly tense.

"No. You?"

"I had it on for a little bit last week but just to scan through stuff for a second."

"Anything pressing?" He asked hesitantly.

"Nothing that can't wait." She told him.

His lips moved to her shoulder, smudging against her skin softly before trailing up her neck. Once their, he stopped and his face stayed still in the crook, just breathing her in.

"You have no idea how badly I don't want to go back."

"I think I do, Jace."

He wrapped his arms around her tighter. "I just want to stay here with you for as long as I damn well please. It's pretty damn sad that I had to end up with Physical exhaustion to get this time with you."

Carly laughed. "You ran yourself to the brim, Jace but stop worrying already. I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere and we will just have to work harder to keep moments like these more frequent then less."

"Mmm, your right." He kissed the shell of her ear. "I like the way you're thinking babe."

She smiled and turned slightly as his lips came down on hers. "I love you Jace. I want us to work."

The grin he gave back nearly melted every square inch of Carly's heart that had ever been cold. "And I love you back and we will work. I love you too much not to try."

"Yup. So when do you think their going to have you start doing promo shows for the album?"

"Ugh, probably soon. It'll all be one giant jump into a circus, I'm sure."

She could feel the tension in him start to multiply so she reached for one of his hands at her waist, lacing their fingers together, needing to reassure him.

"You'll be fine. Take things one day at a time and speak up when they start running you ragged again."

"I will. I'll have to warm them that you'll be on their heels like white on rice if not."

Carly laughed. "You're darn right. Sometimes I need to step in and be the voice of reason for you."

"I know and I love that about you. No one has ever stood up for me and looked out for me like you do."

"I can't help it. It's just something I do for people I love deeply. It's in my blood."

He smiled, brushing his nose against her neck again. "You know it'll be Christmas soon."

"And who know's where you'll be." Carly said, her voice falling.

JC let out another frustrated sigh. "I want us to be together honey. We'll work it out."

"Yeah you're right. I was thinking about it the other day."

"Thinking about what?"

She turned in his arms, now facing him, his arms loosely around her still. "I just picture us, our families, together here, celebrating, nothing to worry about for once."

JC smiled. "I like the sound of that." He said, before he took in the skeptical look on her face. "You do know we can make that happen, Carly. We just have to work at it."

She shook her head, knowing it was far less simple than that. "We'll just have to see."

"Stop stressing babe. Like you said, one day at a time. We'll get through it."

"You're right. I need to stop stressing and worrying. I'll turn into you."

JC laughed. "And we both know we don't want that to happen."

Carly followed suit, her lips turning up into a smile as she ran her hands through his hair. "No we don't. I can only put up with one of you."

He leaned forward, his nose brushing against hers. "Oh is that so miss sassy pants?"

"Mmm." She breathed, feeling his own against her lips, waiting for him to close the distance between them. When he didn't, she finally spoke up. "Are you going to kiss me or what?"

"I thought about it." He whispered, not moving an inch.

Letting out a throaty groan, she closed her eyes. "Think harder."

He let out a soft chuckle. "Well when you put it that way... " His voice trailed as he closed the small distance between them and his lips came into contact with hers. He smiled against her lips as Carly let out a happy sigh, her body meshed against his as her fingers dove into his hair. JC took his time, sipping her bottom lip, pulling to between his own before he felt the soft brush of her tongue, shyly seeking entrance, which he readily accepted. It started off slow, not meant to entice but a declaration of love.

JC had to ask himself why he ever questioned himself when it came to kissing Carly, weather it was joking or not. Each day, everything seemed to fall more into place with them. It was all he could do to slow himself down and make a mental memory of this moment and time. With Carly's lips meshed with his own as they shared breath, her sun kissed skin warm against his own, her hands in his hair, and her heart pressed against his, he knew their was nothing more in life he needed.

Their lips moved fluidly against each other as if they were trained to up until oxygen became scarce. When they finally pulled apart, breathless and lips swollen, Carly layed her head easily against his chest, as JC's forehead came to rest against hers.

"Guess I won't have to think so hard next time." He said softly.

Carly chuckled, closing her eyes easily. "Good. You shouldn't have to."

"Momentary lapse of judgment."

A smiled painted over her face as her eyes remained closed. "Excuses excuses."

"Are we taking a nap?" He asked, feeling her hand run hypnotically up and down his side.

"Mmmhmm. Am I keeping you from something?"

"Well I was a little more than tempted, seeing you sprawled out here in this little bikini.."

He was cut off as Carly playfully slapped his butt. "Later." She mumbled.

He chuckled softly to himself, placing a kiss at her temple and moving her even more closer against him, their legs tangled together. "Night Carly. I love you."

"Love you, Jace."

***
JC woke, an hour or so later, the sun ready to set as he looked down at the woman laying so trustingly against his chest, one hand resting on his side, the other tucked underneath her. Reluctantly, he pulled away, hoping her didn't wake her. As he easily slid from the lounge chair, he turned at the sliding glass door to look back at her one last time and all he could do was smile. The studio was calling him.

~
Carly frowned, when she had woke alone, seeing that the sky was in it's beginning stages of becoming a hazy orange color. Wondering where JC had gone, she sat up, giving her body a second to stretch as she slid a t-shirt over her head and padded back into the house.

"Jace?" She called out, not seeing any signs of him. Finally, once she had tracked through the main rooms of house, she knew there was only one place he could be if he was indeed still home. Trailing down the steps to the studio, she saw the door was in fact closed, meaning he was working on something. That didn't make sense. The man was suppose to be taking a break from work.

She knocked once, figuring if he answered it, then he wasn't doing anything too intense. He'd often told her that 'messing around' in the studio, doing nothing in particular was a great stress reliever. It wasn't too long before she heard him call out a quick "It's open."

He smiled, turning away from the soundboard as he saw Carly walk in. "Hey honey."

She took a second to see him to take him in, seeing him dressed in a black t-shirt and some gray basketball shorts and his signature glasses adding the finishing touch. Walking towards him further into the room, Carly rested her arms around his shoulders, dropping her chin to the top of his head. "What are you up too? Don't you know you're suppose to not be working for once?"

He traced the length of her arm affectionately before turning in his chair, and pulling her down easily on his lap. "Don't scold. I'm not working. I promise."

"Messing around as you like to say?"

"Hmm, something like that." He winked, patting her hip. "How was your nap?"

"Good. I didn't know I was so tired."

He leaned forward, his nose bumping hers. "That's what happens when you're up half the night doing other things."

"If I don't recall I didn't start it this time, thank you very much."

He winked, kissing her quickly. "Nor did you object babe."

She rolled her eyes, playfully, her cheeks turning pink. "Okay, point taken Jace. Anyways..."

"Oh so it's going to be like that huh? Just leave blame it on me and run?" He said, humor laced in his voice.

Carly shook her head. "You're just up to no good down here aren't you Chasez?"

He chuckled slightly, reaching for one of her hands. "Perhaps." He brought his fingers to his lips and pretended to lock it. "I'll never tell."

"Okay, you are up to no good. I'm just going to pretend I heard no such thing. What did you want to do for dinner?"

A smug smile crept across JC's lips and Carly knew whatever answer he gave her would have her scolding him.

"You?" Was his hopeful reply.

"Is their a lack of oxygen down here or something JC? You're starting to worry me."

JC laughed pulling Carly against him, caressing the exposed skin of her back affectionately. "I'm just trying to get you riled up babe. We can do what you want for dinner."

"I thought I'd go take a quick shower first." She told him and then quickly added a "By myself." As she slid from his lap.

Carly almost felt bad at the pout her gave her but he quickly turned it into a smile. "Later," He said with a wink. "I'll finish up down here and meet you upstairs."

"Okay. See you in a few." She told him, leaning forward to kiss him sweetly. "Behave down here."

He gave her a quick wink when she looked back at the door. "I'll try." He said, before going back to what he was doing. First things first, he told himself. She hadn't expected anything.

***
JC tossed and turned until finally giving up. He reached over on the beside stand for his glasses before turning back to lay in bed, looking over at Carly as she slept on peacefully. Dinner and a night out had just been another reminder of all the things he loved about Carly. They had eaten at one of her favorite Italian restaurants he'd discovered had become her favorite. The small place over looked the water,creating a perfect backdrop for a romantic evening. They had continued on with their teasing, taking turns and seeing who could shock the other. Even in that, their love for each other still shown through. He nearly melted each time Carly would reach for his hand, bringing it to her lips and kissing his knuckles. On several occasions she'd find any simple way to stay close to him or brush a kiss to some part of his body, weather it be just to nuzzle his neck the way he loved or to kiss his temple as they walked together.

After they'd returned home, they'd continued on with their tradition of sitting out on the balcony and sipping some wine. JC was more than happy to have the sweet weight of Carly pressed against him as they took up the space on the lounge chair once again. JC had turned on some soft music as it filled the comfortable silence for them. It made him feel good to know that each time they sat out there, she always complimented on the views letting him know that LA was making up for the constant cityscape she'd had at her loft in Chicago. He still couldn't believe she had agreed to move in. Little by little, she just kept giving more of herself. Before they had finally retired for the night, JC had halted Carly from going inside, bringing her against him as they swayed slowly to the music only they could hear. He heard no objection when he took over the lead vocals and began singing softly in Carly's ear. Her only complaint, even though an easy loving smile was plastered across her face was that 'he didn't sing to her enough.' He could feel her body relax more and more as the song went on and JC couldn't prevent the overwhelming feeling that had been taken over his thoughts within the last two weeks.

When they had finally went to bed with their limbs lose, and their bodies well relaxed, JC could only slow him down enough to savor the moment. When they had finally made it to the bedroom, their were no teasing arguments of who would start what that night as they both readily went to the other, seeking kisses and lingered touches. When they had finally got down to the actual act of making love, they kept things unrushed, happy to be able to have the other. It seemed their passion had multiplied for the other, wanting nothing more than to share the act together. They took their time, filling the room with whispers of love and soft gasps of pleasure. When they had finally come down from their high, they both fell against one another, lulling themselves to sleep with the steady thud of the others heartbeat.

It was more than the perfect day, JC decided as he continued to watch Carly sleep. Her hair was spread out over her pillow case, in all it's wavy light brown glory. Her lips were still full, almost pouty as he body rested easily against the sheets. Her now sun kissed skin peeked out from under the covers and JC couldn't resist the urge to run the tips of his fingertips up and down her arm. His mind had been running a mile a minute ever since he'd woken up, and their was only one way he knew how to get it off his chest. He leaned over and carefully kissed his bed mate right at her temple, cautious not to wake her before slowly slipping from the bed and pulling on a pair of sweats and a tank top. He took his steps easily in the dark, making his way to the studio, knowing it was the only way to finish the overwhelming feeling that had taken over his brain.

~
Carly woke in the early hours of dawn, just as the sun was rising, filling the bedroom with a soft shade of orange. She rolled over and frowned, only to find the space beside her was cold and empty. The faint scent of JC still lingered but he was no where in the room. Moving to the edge, she stretched quickly before she found a folded note on the night stand. Opening it up, she saw JC's handwriting scribbled across it.

You looked so beautiful sleeping that I didn't want to wake you. Follow the flower petals once you're awake.
Love you, Jace

Leaning over the bed, she saw the carpet was indeed covered with a light sprinkle of white flower pedals, leading to some unknown. A easy smile crept over her lips as she padded into the bathroom, slipping on a pair of shorts and t-shirt, and quickly brushing her teeth. Slowly making her way out of the bedroom, she began following the path of the flowers. They stretched out down the hallway, leading the the living room and the kitchen, all the way to the other side of the house to the balcony they had come to frequent.

Stepping outside to see the sun rising slowly over the sky, haziness took it over before she came into contact with JC sitting on the bench of one of his most prized possessions. His fingers danced easily across the ivory keys of the baby grand piano before he looked up, glasses sitting easily on his handsome face and he smiled back at her. She could only return the gesture, her heart thudding slowly in her chest. Taking the steps across the large balcony, she closed the distance between them and slid in beside him. She took in his relaxed demeanor, sitting their in the sweat pants she'd come to love him in so much and a tight white tank top that showed off every definition of his arms and chest. His hair was wavy from sleep but still looked perfectly in place and his eyes, a lighter shade than usual looked back at her. The faint smell of his after shave still sifted through the air, the closer she got to him and Carly decided that the smell would forever be stuck in her head as his and only his.

JC leaned forward, kissing Carly easily as he closed his eyes briefly, savoring the taste of her. "Morning honey." He drawled.

"Morning to you too. What is all this?"

"Let's just say we'll call it 'the trouble' I've been getting into in the studio for the past few days."

Her eyes went wide with surprise. "You mean you've been working on something for me?"

He nodded, lacing their fingers together. "You always say I never sing to you enough so I decided you needed something of your very own, from me to you."

She leaned into him a little, feeling so much already. "You wrote me my own song?"

He nodded, letting go of her hand but smiled as she kept it on his leg, before reaching his hands out over the keys. He looked at her quickly, sharing a soft smile with her before he began to play.

Carly's breath nearly hitched in her throat as his voice, soft and perfectly pitched came floating through the morning sunrise.

I've been standing in the shadows, where every day feels like night. It's like trying to watch the wind blow, I just need to feel your light. Your heart's surrounded by a wall you built there and every time you hurt it get's so high, let's tear it down and build some love, build some love. Let's tear it down, and build some love, build some love...

She didn't even know it but her eyes had began to well up, listening to the words that rolled off his tongue so easily. With every lyric he sang, it came clear to her that he was singing about her, using words only he knew how to express. She bit her lip to stop it from quivering as he continued.

We both have some reservations, a couple fears a couple doubts. And we both burn with complications, but those just need to be put out. The insecurities can scream like thunder, but I'll hold you close to me and then some how, we'll tear it down and build some love, build some love. We'll tear it down, and build some love, build some love.... and I know we'll make it, to the end of the line, even if we break it one piece at a time. Let's tear it down, and build some love, build some love..

JC chose that moment to look at Carly, fierce eyes meeting blue ones, as he looked at her so lovingly before continuing.

Let's tear it down, and build some love, build some love. Yeah I know we'll make it, to the end of the line. Even if we break it one piece at a time, we'll tear it down, and build some love, build some love...

JC's voice trailed off as his hands stilled. He smiled, seeing Carly looking back at him, her eyes washed with tears as they steamed down her face. Without even thinking, he reached forward, brushing the tips of his fingers under her eyes. "Is silence a good thing?" He questioned.

He nearly slid back as her arms came around his neck, holding on tightly as her face buried against his neck, where she sniffled quietly. "That was amazing, Jace." He heard muffled against his skin. "I love you so much."

He pulled back, so he could look at her as his heart swelled with love. He'd put his heart and soul into the song and knew if their was anybody in the world who would appreciate it more, it'd be Carly. What he didn't expect was the slight dampness he felt take up the corner of his eyes and the constant thud that had overtaken his chest.

"I love you too, babe-so much."

"I think that's gotta be the most amazing thing someone has ever given me."

"Well I'm glad it was me." He smiled.

"Jace?" She asked, looking back at him confused.

"Yeah Carly?"

"You know your crying right?" She asked, reaching up to repeat the same gesture he had for her, and then bringing her hands to his chest. "And your hearts pounding."

He took an almost shaky deep breath, willing himself to get this right this time. He'd just poured out the things he wanted to say in a song and now it was time for the words that couldn't be spoken that way.

"I just.. I have a lot to say."

Carly nodded, leaning forward to kiss both of his eye lids. "Breathe babe. It's me."

He opened his eyes, seeing her gorgeous tear streaked face grinning back reassuringly, and that right there told him this was going to be okay.

"I just wanted to let you know, that since the day we met, even though we've had our up's and down's that I've never once stopped loving you. I wanted you to know that the first night I met you, I already knew you were someone I'd never forget and someone I wanted in my life, whether it was as my friend or as my girlfriend. I knew that whatever I felt for you wasn't just going to go away and since the day you told me you were fighting the same feelings, I haven't been happier. I know--." He took a shaky breath, seeing the tears he'd wiped away from Carly's face had returned.

"I know that our relationship hasn't been the easiest, but I love you for standing by me, always encouraging me, always standing up for me and always loving me even though it wasn't easy all the time. You've become my best friend, my sounding bored when it comes to music, my confidant, and most importantly my love. I'd fight through hell for you and there isn't anything I wouldn't do for you Carly."

"Jace..." Carly said through shaky breath, reaching up to cup his face. "You've got to be the most amazing man I've ever met in my life. I've never met someone who fights for someone they love more than you do. You've stuck beside me through all of this, all of our up's and downs, all of my insecurities, and you've never stopped loving me once."

He interjected, reaching for both of her hands pulling her into his lap. "It's just what you do Carly. You've moved across the country for me, for us. I figured if I couldn't give you the view of Chicago every morning that the least I could do was sing you a song that was only yours while overlooking one of your favorite spots here."

"And that's what makes you the most amazing man Joshua Scott. This is one of my favorite spots here but it's only my favorite when you're here with me."

"And I'm not going anywhere sweetheart. Yeah, or jobs suck sometimes but like you said, one day at a time. We're on the same page right now. We'll work a lot harder."

Carly nodded, moving one leg to the other side of his lap, now straddling him, as she looked down. "What's in your pocket?"

JC took a shuddering breathe. "Why don't you find out babe?"

She looked back at him hesitantly as her hands slid into his pocket, her eyes widening as she came in contact with a velvet box.

"If we're not on the same page-."

Carly interjected quickly, pulling the box from his pocket and opening it as her breath hitched and a single tear slid down her cheek.

"Do you have any idea how many times I've wished that moment could been relived in my head?"

"Well then, forget about the old and focus on the now." JC tucked a stray curl that had fallen in her face behind her ear. "I love you, Carly Ann Piper, with all of my heart and nothing would make me happier than if you'd one day become my wife."

Carly nodded her head repeatedly as her forehead came to rest against his. "Yes, yes and yes. I love you so damn much Jace. You're it for me."

"You're it for me too."

He tipped her chin up, kissing her repeatedly, his smile irreplaceable even if he tried as he took the diamond engagement ring and placed it on her ring finger.

"It's gorgeous." She gushed, her breath still shaky.

"Not as gorgeous as you babe. I want us to grow old together. And I want us to have babies together, and cry through all the firsts all the way until we send them off to college."

Carly laughed placing kisses all over his face. "I want that too. And do you have any idea how many times I've wanted to say yes to you since that night?"

JC looked back surprised. "Why didn't you say something?"

"Because. I knew you'd ask me again. And besides, we were taking things one day at a time."

They shared a kiss that lingered for a while, happy to just share the others breath for a moment as the sun finally rose behind them. JC took a second to wipe the moisture from his eyes and then from Carly's as they continued to hold one another, completely unaware of the time that had ticked on or even what day it was. Right now consisted of the two of them and the love they shared for one another, unlike any other. All the other things in life would just have to wait.

Chapter End Notes:

P.S. This is NOT the ending. 

Song Credit: JC Chasez-Build Some Love 

P.P.S- Don't forget to review :) 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc showersex jc producerjc