Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey everyone! Excuse me as I blow the dust off of this story. I know it's been forever! I didn't want to force the end of this so I guess you could say I took my time. Thanks to the constant nagging/reminding from my muse, I'm back at it :) 

 

I was going to break these chapters up but decided to just post this one while I'm working on the other.  If you're lucky, there will be 1 more full chapter coming. I hope you're all still interested in these two! Lord knows it's been a crazy LONG journey for me writing this story. Anyways, I will stop jabbering and get onto posting! Thanks for sticking with me!

A Million Faces in a Crowd
Chapter 40.
The end Pt. 1


Carly pinched her eyes shut, willing herself not to cry as she stood at the airport, fingers laced with JC's as she counted down the seconds until he had to go. It had all come too soon but she knew, sooner than later, they'd have to go back to their everyday lives and leave the little haven of a stress free life they'd created on JC's time off. His fingers on her chin brought her back to life.

"Hey, you know I don't want to leave you babe." He told her, softly.

She looked up, her eyes glossy, giving away her emotion.

"I know. I just hoped this day would come later than sooner."

Leaning forward, JC bussed her forehead before placing a kiss their also. "You and me both. You know I don't even want to go."

"But you've gotta." Carly finished for him.

JC let out a deep sigh and pinched the bridge of his nose, deep in thought. When he finally looked back, his eyes were unfocused, unsure.

"Yeah, you're right."

"We agreed it won't always be like this, right Jace?"

Finally some of the sparkle came back into his blue eyes. "Right. Who's ring is on my finger?" He asked, bringing her hand up to his lips and kissing her knuckles.

"Yours." She said easily, smiling as her heart skipped a beat. It was still so new."Everyone knows too, right?"

"That's right. And yes, if by 'everyone' you mean our family, then yes. My Mom and Dad said they were just counting down the days."

"I still can't believe you asked my Dad at Thanksgiving." Carly said, her eyes looking back at him lovingly.

JC leand his forehead against hers. "I was just trying to do what was right. I love you. I want to be with you forever."

"Yeah, you're pretty amazing. I'm well aware." She winked, just as his flight was called once again.

He let out a weary sigh. "I'll call you when I get to New York." He said, pulling her against him, and wrapping his arms tightly around her waist.

Carly didn't even hesitate, despite being in an openly public place before she wrapped her arms around JC's neck, brought her lips to his, and kissed him throughly. JC smiled against her, taking his time to savor the taste of his fiancée long enough to last him through their time apart. When they finally pulled away, they were both breathless.

"I love you too, Jace. Take care of yourself this time or I'll have to come kick some serious ass this time."

He laughed, seeing by the look on her face and knowing she meant business. "I will babe. Promise."

"Okay. You better get going. Who knows what the record company people would do if you were late."

Rolling his eyes, JC began to walk backwards. "Probably send out a search party." He laughed. "Have a good week. I'll call babe."

Carly waved back, feeling a little piece of her heart walk away from her. Not once in her life had she felt so sure about someone and once again, she was seeing him off to another state and even though they'd been together for a while now, the pain that it left her with had yet to dissipate. She tried not to think of the crazy roller coaster that was about to take over their lives. With JC releasing an album soon, his once hidden celebrity was about to come to a screeching halt. With promoting his CD and going on tour, his private life would soon be short lived. Carly only hoped she had what it took to take the ride, right along with him.
***

JC regretted ever stepping off the airplane as he walked into his fourth meeting of the day. He'd been drug around, asking fifty thousand questions and was already dead tired.

"You hanging in there man?" Matt asked as he followed behind him.

Rubbing a hand over his face, he nodded. "Yeah. Sure.."

"I figured you'd come back walking on sunshine. You just had two weeks off from all of this."

Stopping in front of the door they were about to walk through, JC fought the urge to roll his eyes. "It's just not the same anymore."

Matt looked surprised. "I've never known you to give up on music."

"I never said I was giving up. I said it's not the same."

"I realize it's a little different doing it this far in the game JC but you could go big places. You just need this chance. You know you deserve it."

"Yeah, whatever you say man. Come on, let's get this over with." He said, walking past Matt without another look back.

Matt could only stand there speechless.

**
A week later...

It seemed taking time off didn't make her any less credible, Carly decided as she finished up working with another up and coming singer. Grabbing some downtime, she walked outside and reached for her phone, knowing JC was most likely busy, still she felt the urge to let him know she was thinking of him.


Hey babe. Just wanted to say hi and I hope your day is going well. Love you.

She hit send and and tried to think of where he said he'd be today. She was surprised when he phone beeped two seconds later.

I should have never left L.A. I miss you already :(

Carly decided that whatever he was doing, wasn't going well and she suddenly wished she was with him. She knew JC could fight his own battles but it seemed like he avoided confrontation as much as he could.

Rut roh. That good huh? I'm sorry. Picture me naked if that helps... ;) Miss you too!

Carly giggled as she hit send once again. She probably just made his day worse knowing they were thousands of miles away.

Too late for that but it indeed helped. My only dilemma is not being able to do anything about it.

God gave you a hand for a reason, Chasez.

Carly laughed to herself as she hit send again. This wasn't how she meant for their texts to go but she wasn't going to complain.

One hundred and fifty percent not the same when I can have the real thing ;)

Mmm you bring up a good point stud. Call me when your done for the day and we'll discuss this further.

Carly checked her watch walking back into the studio, shaking her head. She pictured JC in a meeting, his head perking up every time his cell phone went off. She could see his pulse on the side of his neck move rapidly as he read what she'd sent him. It was all so appealing. She smiled seeing he had responded.

Ohh sounds like a plan. It will probably be late if my predictions are right. I love you.

It's fine. I won't mind if you wake me. Love you more. Have a good day!

Trust me. I'm going to try.

Sliding her phone in the back pocket of her jeans, Carly walked into the room where she was suppose to meet her next appointment when her phone rang loudly. Bringing it to her ear, she answered without looking.

"Hello?"

"Hey there stranger danger."

"Gavin?" She laughed.

"The one and only. How dare you not know my voice. Only proof it's been forever since we've talked."

"You know how things get. How are you though?"

"Things are well. I can't complain. Are you busy?"

Looking towards the door, Carly saw a musician she was meeting, as well as a couple other sound people enter the room.

"Actually I am. I'm about to meet with someone at the studio. Rain check?"

"Yeah, I actually wanna meet up sometime soon if that's possible. I have an offer for you."

"Oh?" Carly asked, automatically becoming curious.

"Yes, but your busy and I won't be the one that keeps you from making music. Call me when you're free lady."

"Okay. I'll be in touch. See ya!"

"Bye."

Carly hung up her phone, wondering what he wanted. Curiosity had already got the best of her.

---

"So you know we're going to start out with a smaller shows before you go on an actual tour right?"

JC nodded, the wheels in his head already turning.

.."And then we'll want you to go over sea's for a little bit."

"What? Are you kidding me? You guys already have me booked up for the next two years of my life."

"Mr. Chasez, you know this is what it takes if you want this album to go anywhere right?"

"I think this is an overkill a little bit."

"It's all about putting in the work. Now we'd like to start you rehearsing for the club shows-"

"I had planned on getting married sometime in the future."

"What?" Came from several of the business men in the room.

"I'm engaged."

Matt looked up from across the room, surprised. "Jace.. congrats man. Why didn't you say anything?"

"And when exactly did I have time for that, Matt?"

"Dude, we used to be friends."

"Yeah, well the business part of that kinda gets in the way right?"

"Not to be a buzz kill but announcing an engagement around the release of an album doesn't exactly scream high sales."

JC looked across the room bewildered, trying not to go on a verbal rampage.

"I don't know if you've noticed but I'm not twenty four with four other guys beside me. I'm pretty sure my image will be fine."

"It's just a precaution JC. We're all trying to help you here."

Shaking his head, he looked towards Matt, hoping he'd read his mind. With that he stood. "I assume we're done here?"

"As long as you have all the dates down."

JC rolled his eyes but breathed out a small sigh of relief as Matt followed him to the door. "Yeah, got it. Whatever you say."

Once out in the hallway, Matt looked to his friend surprised. "Man, what's going on with you?"

"Seriously Matt? They've got me booked up forever. I'm not an idiot. I don't need this much damn promotion."

"I thought you'd be excited."

"Well heres a news flash...I'm not! I'm thirty two years old man. I didn't think releasing music would have me prancing around the entire world."

"I don't even know what to say anymore man. I thought we were in this together."

"Well on this note, I'm going to go now and get some sleep before I say something I'll regret."

Matt stood there, hands in his pocket. "JC, I meant what I said. Congrats on the engagement."

He nodded, accepting his words before turning back around towards the exit doors.

**
Eagerly he waited for the one person to sooth his shitty day to pick up the phone as it rang.

"Hey Jace.."

"Hey babe." He said, his voice soft.

"How was the rest of your day?"

JC grunted as he kicked off his shoes and began to try and undress with one hand.

"That good, huh?" Carly laughed.

"They've got me booked doing shit for the next two damn years of my life. I'm so sick of it. And then, one of the jackasses has the nerve to make a comment about how getting engaged while putting out an album isn't the best for record sales. Are you fucking kidding me? I'm not some piece of meat that comes with buying the damn CD and last time I checked, my fans have grown right along with me. I mean where in the hell does he get off saying that shit? I swear, I wanted to reach across the table and punch the ass in the face. And then-"

"Jace!" Carly called softly. "Take a breath honey."

She smiled when she heard his deep breathing come across the phone.

"Sorry." He said, running a hand through his hair. Finally freeing himself of his jeans, he fell onto his bed.

"It's alright. Just chill out. You know you're going to drive yourself crazy worrying about all that stuff."

"But seriously, Carly. We have a wedding to plan."

"We'll plan it too, Jace."

"You're right. I need to stop stressing like this. How was your day?"

"Busy but good to be back in the swing of things." She replied as she yawned.

"Are you gonna fall asleep on me, girl?"

"Mmm no. I wanted to hear your voice."

"I seriously hate this. I know I probably sound like a spoiled little boy right now but I'm so over all of this bullshit. I've been here less than twenty four hours and I already miss you."

"I miss you too, Jace. We knew this is how it would go."

"It's going to be Christmas soon and I had wanted us all together to tell our family."

"Then if you can, make it happen. We'll fix all the kinks."

"I love how we've magically switched rolls here. Enough about work though. What's the rest of your week look like?"

"Well, I don't have anything too pressing as of yet. Waiting for Max to get back to me on a few things."

"I know it's probably crazy to ask but do you think you'd get some time to slip away?"

"I'll have to see, Jace." She closed her eyes, already dreading the distance between them.

"Okay. Let me know. I don't know how much longer your 'picture me naked' texts will last me."

Carly burst out laughing, wishing she was there to see the sly grin on his perfect face.

"Hey, I do what I can to help." She told him, humor laced in her voice.

"Oh yeah, you helped so much babe. I love sitting in a meeting with a hard-on the size of-"

"JACE!" She laughed again. "I guess it's a good thing I didn't send an actual picture then."

JC propped one hand behind his head as he slid beneath the covers. "Hmm, I think you should. You know, for times where I need a face to go along with the image in my head and stuff."

Carly scoffed, mixed with a laugh. "And stuff, huh?"

"So what are you wearing?" He asked abruptly.

Carly looked down, thrown off by the question. "A tank top and panties. My usual."

"Hmmm.. not when I'm home."

"Well my bed is empty so therefor, I'm rocking my no sex PJ's."

"Ugh don't remind me, honey."

She smiled, picturing the pouty look on his face. "What are you wearing, Mister?"

"Hmmm," JC said looking around the empty room. "Nothing."

Laughing, Carly cursed herself for picturing him. "Liar."

Joining in her laughter, he finally confessed. "Just boxers. Why?"

"Hmm.. I don't know. I was just trying to paint a picture in my head."

"Oh yeah? Are you in that picture with me?"

"I would hope so." Carly laughed.

"You know what I mean, babe. What are you doing?"

"Talking to you."

"Smart ass," He laughed lightly, hearing her do the same. "You know what I mean."

The line was silent for a few seconds and just when JC thought the line had gone dead, Carly finally responded. "Wishing you were here with me." Her voice was soft with just a hint of hurt on the other end.

"And if I was?"

"You'd be doing other things with that mouth besides talking, that's for sure."

His breath quickened at her confession. "Yeah? Like what, babe?"

"Hmmm, I'm sure you can use your imagination. You're a smart man."

"Id be kissing the breath out of you Carly. Tasting all your sweet gasps and whimpers on my tongue. Then i'd take my time, tasting your sweet skin from your neck all the way down to your toes until you begged for me to hurry up. I'd stop at all those spots that make you crazy. You know I know just exactly how to..."

Carly swallowed thickly. "Mmmhmm. And I'd do the same for you."

"Oh yeah? How baby? Tell me.. "

"Hmm, I'd take my time seducing, kissing, tasting
until I felt your body quiver, just begging for a release and then I'd-"

He interupted her from going any further.

"Carly---," he said, his voice held that husky tone but stayed soft. "Are you touching yourself?"

She followed the path of her other hand, realizing that her fingers were now easily grazing the skin where her tank top had riden up between her panty line. Still, she wasn't sure if she had it in her but she knew right now, this was all they had.

"Jace.. I don't think I can-."

"Do it. Please." Came a breathless command.

With her heart skipping a beat, Carly could hear the desperate, turned on plea coming from her fiancée and decided to throw all hesitation out the window. If this was how they could stay connected, so be it.

"I am Jace. I wish it were you."

"No baby. Close your eyes. It is me. Keep going."

"Mmm. Are you touching yourself too?"

"Mmmhmm. I can feel you honey, smell your sweet skin. It's been way too long. I need you-- this."

"I'm here."

And that's all JC needed to know. They continued taunting each other, teasing, whispering thoughts and desires as if they were together, free to relish in the physcial act itself. They drove each other into a whirlwind of pleasure until all it took were certain words along with the right caresses and touches they could only provide themselves before everything came to the final release.

Carly gasped, coming down from the waves of pleasure she had just given herself as she listened to the same sounds over the phone. She could hear JC's deep labored breathes, the ones she'd heard dozens of times after they'd just made love. It was almost too much, too powerful of a feeling not to picture him, spent of all energy, his forhead damp with sweat pressed against her neck as she would run her fingers through his damp curls. She could almost feel the weight his body, warm and slick against her own even though the bed she lay in was empy and the bedroom lacked a certain precance.

"Carly?" He asked, his words hollow and spent.

"I'm here, Jace. Are you okay?"

"Mmm, yeah. I'm good. That- that was hot."

Laughing lightly, Carly had to agree. She could honeslty say that was the first time they'd taken their 'naughty' talks that far.

"Mmm yes. Think you'll be able to sleep now?"

"Even though this bed is cold and empty without you in it, yes. This will hold me for a while."

"It'll have to do for a while longer, Jace. Goodnight. I love you."

"I love you too, Carly. I'll talk to you soon."

**
Carly spotted Gavin right away as she walked to the small table of the outdoor patio resturante. Dressed in dark jeans, a white v-neck tee, she removed the sunglasses covering her green eyes as she approached him.

"Well if it isn't the artist formally known as Gavin."

Turning around, Gavin instantly stood, his smile taking over all the features on his face as he enveloped Carly in a hug.

"Well if it isn't the one and only Carly Piper." He said, releasing her from his grasp.

"It's good to see you!"

"Ditto. Have a seat." Gavin said, pointing to the chair in front of him.

Carly did so and took in the man sitting in front of her. She really had missed him. Over in London they had become close and then everything had fallen apart. Reuniting with him on her birthday had proved to her over and over that he really was a good guy.

"So how are things? I see that the album did pretty well."

Gavin winked across the table, smiling. "Well I did have one bad ass songwriter slash producer."

Carly laughed shaking her head. "Well this is true."

"But anyways, things are good. As you know the album did really well and I'm about to go on tour."

"Really? That's awesome! I just know you'll do really well."

"Thank you. I'm really excited. That's kind of what I wanted to talk to you about."

Carly looked back at him in question. "Really? Why me?"

Gavin's hands fiddled with the napkin in front of him as he if was hesitant. "Well.. I know it's not your gig persay but I was wondering if you'd manage the tour. I need someone with a solid creative outlook on things and someone who knows my music. I know you think like I do and I've heard your ideas with things like this Carly. You're like the only one I trust."

Sitting there in complete shock, Carly was nearly speechless. It had always been a dream of hers to someday do something like this.

"Wow. I honestly don't know what to say."

Gavin laughed just as the waitress came over and took their drink orders, then turned his attention back to the woman in front of him.

"Have I really rendered the queen of sass speechless?"

"I think you have." She said, nervously tucking her hair behind her ears.

"Um okay, hold the phone here," he said as he looked across the table. "How in the world did I not notice that rock on your finger until just now?"

Carly bit her lip hesitantly but easily held her hand out for her ring to be inspected. She laughed as he whistled, checking it over carefully.

"I kind of predicted this is how you two would end up. Congrats girl!"

"Thank you."

"So I'm assuming all water is under the bridge now and you're nothing by happy?"

Carly nodded, a constant reminder of how much she really did miss JC.

"Yes. I've never felt like this about anyone. Jace is it for me."

"You can tell how much he loves you just by seeing that man look at you. I'm really happy for you Carly."

She'd been told that exact same thing by several other people which had only added confirmation to what she already knew.

"Thank you but we're not here to talk about me. Now seriously, you want me to manage your tour?"

"Yes, you. We're starting out over seas and if everything goes well with that, we'll start adding more U.S. dates."

Taking a deep breath, she tried to process everything. Going on tour meant being away from home for months at a time. She instantly thought of her fiancée knowing that he was about to do the same thing. For some reason all she could see in her mind was that big giant ticking clock. This was one of the biggest opportunities she'd had in her musical career, not to mention a dream of hers. The mental war began as she tried to see the future and find the time to plan a wedding, let alone get married. It all just seemed like a big mess and something told her deep down, she'd have to choose what was more important.

"Okay, first of all, I want to say that I'm flattered you thought of me. Secondly, can I have some time to sleep on it before I give you an answer?"

Shifting in his seat, Gavin nodded. "Sure. You know how these things go though but the sooner the better."

"I know, trust me. I've just--I've got so much up in the air right now."

"You don't have to explain to me Carly. I know how things are. I do have to let you know, we sign contracts for the tour on the 17th, so before then."

She nodded and made a mental note, smiling gratefully at her friend, but inside her mind was going back and forth weighing out all of her options. She'd be lying if she said the opportunity didn't thrill her.

The lunch continued on with chatter between the two of them, catching each other up on things since they'd last seen each other. When Carly finally hugged Gavin goodbye, she was once again reminded of how easy he was to get along with and all the fun she knew she'd have going on tour with him. Working for someone you got along with and liked as a person only added excitment to the creative aspect of the entire opportunity.

Now the only thing left to do was decide which was more important. A long time dream or the beginning of her life with JC.

**
Carly was driving home from her meeting with Gavin, strongly needing sleep when here phone rang. Not even looking at the caller I.D. she answered. "Hello."

A drowsy smile slid across her features at the voice that greeted her. "Hey babe."

"Hey yourself handsome. This is an odd hour for one of your calls."

"I just wanted to hear your voice." He whispered.

Carly could hear the longing, the loneliness in his voice. She contemplated if now was the right time to tell him the deal she'd just been offered.

"Whats the matter, stud?"

"Tired.. missing you, stressed out beyond belief. You know.."

"Sorry Jace. If I could keep my eyes open long enough to make it to the airport, I'd come see you."

"You okay? You said you've overslept for the past two days in a row."

"Fine. My body clock is just messed up." Carly said nonchalantly as she turned onto their street.

"You sure? Are you feeling okay?"

"Fine. Just tired as ever. I guess I've been out of the work swing for longer than I thought."

"If you're sure.."

"I am. Scouts honor. Stop worrying Jace. You have enough on your plate."

"I'm pretty sure you come way before any of this album crap, Carly. You better know that too."

And the guilt began to settle. Her eyes widened even though he couldn't see her. She had to admit she hadn't expected him to be so adamant about everything. Almost like if she asked, he'd drop it all...

"I am? I-I mean I do."

"Good. I mean it. You're more important, Carly. So much."

Carly was almost too stunned to form any coherant words. He seemed so adamant to show and prove to her he was in this for the long run.

"I love you, Jace."

JC didn't miss the silent longing in her voice. Something just didn't sound right.

"I love you, Carly. How's your day been?"

"It's been fine. Went into the studio for a while. Had a business meeting this afternoon."

"You sound so unenthusiastic babe, which is totally unlike you. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine. Are you sure you're okay? You just sounded like you had a reason for your call."

"Do I need a reason?" JC challenged.

Carly could tell where this was going and wasn't on the mood for taking the bait.

"Seriously Jace, not in the mood to argue."

"Okay, you're right. I'm sorry... It's just-well they gave me a date for the first show."

"Really? Thats great, right? When is it?"

"A week from today, the 17th I think. I don't know if I can do this again..." He trailed off, suddenly unsure of himself.

Instantly a light bulb went off in her head with the date he'd just given her. Shit.

"Jace, you've got this. You're a born performer."

"I just-- I hope so. You'll be there right?"

"You said the 17th?"

"Yeah."

Carly didn't mean to but the words slipped out before she could stop them. "Shit."

JC laughed slightly, not expecting those exact words. "Um, shit?"

"I was given an offer today, Jace. An amazing offer."

He let out of soft whoosh of air. "Okay.. go on."

"Well I met with Gavin today and he's going on tour soon. He asked me to manage his tour."

Instantly, JC tensed at the mention of Gavin but quickly pushed the feeling away. He tried to find it in his heart to be happy for Carly, knowing this was something she'd thought about before but hardly ever voiced. The second bought of emotions came flooding to him quicker that he predicted. He pictured her being away from him for weeks and months at a time and wondered exactly where in the world that would leave time for them as a couple to start their lives together. He wanted to marry Carly, to start a family and was already second guessing his own tour because of that. He was suppose to be happy for her right? Happy didn't fit into the category of jealous longing that settled in the pit of his gut.

He tried to keep his voice as neutral as possible. "That's great honey!"

She could read him like a book even over the airwaves of a phone. "Really?"

"Yeah! I know it's something you used to talk about."

"So you think I should do it?"

JC swallowed the thick feeling in the back of his throat. "If you want to..."

"I'm asking what you think I should do Jace, not what I want."

He was silent for a moment, trying to word himself carefully.

"What about us, Carly? I mean if you're one way and I'm the other, where will that leave us?"

"So you think I should turn it down?" She asked, her voice finally agitated.

"Well---."

"Just say it Jace. You don't want me to do it."

"Well judging by the 'oh shit' that came out earlier, I'm guessing it somehow overlaps my show on the 17th, correct?"

"Do you know how ridiculous that statement just sounded?"

"Well am I right? When were you going to tell me about this, Carly?"

Carly was officially pissed off. "For your information I JUST found out about this, nor have I given him my final word yet. I thought you being someone who loved, supported and wanted what was best for me, you'd be happy about this and not think only about yourself but I guess I was too stupid to think that."

"Carly, wait! You know damn well thats not---."

"No, I'm done with this conversation. I refuse to say anything else before I really regret it. It's good to know where you stand though JC. Goodbye. "

And with that, the line went dead.

Carly wondered how she ever thought her career would be just as important as JC's. She'd always supported him, no matter what and figured he'd do the same for her. It seemed like it'd taken them over a lifetime to get where they were just seconds ago and then for one selfish comment to make her lose all hope. She knew he was tired and stressed and it probably wasn't the best time to bring up the job offer but out of all days, it had to clash on the day of his first show. She knew he needed her to be there but at the same time, she had to put herself first for once. Ever since she'd met JC, she'd always considered him in all her decisions and did her best to make them work as a couple. Moving to LA had opened new doors for her and in light of that, she'd always made several sacrifices. All she could see in her future was the constant run around. The never ending juggling of who was where in the relationship and the next time they'd get to see each other. They'd had this conversation time and time again, telling each other it wouldn't always be like this but deep down, she somehow knew it would. Carly asked herself again if that the kind of life she wanted. It seemed someone was going to have to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Not being able to fight off the sting in her eyes any longer, she pulled into the drive way, tossed her phone onto the passenger seat beside her as she cradled her head in her hands against the steering wheel. And just like that, everything once again seemed broken.

Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed!! :)


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: love boyfriendjc showersex jc producerjc