Chapter Eleven

 

          Madison was running around like a crazy person. People were starting to file in and fill the seats in the garden behind the small inn. And she was checking to make sure everything was set up in the hall, ready for the reception immediately following the ceremony. After checking with the kitchen and the chef, Madison made her way to Chris' room. When she walked in, she found Chris and Lance in front of a mirror, both of them trying to get Chris' wine-colored tie just perfect.

          "Hey, guys."

          They both turned with wide eyes, a little startled, then chuckled. "Hey, Maddy," Lance said before turning away from Chris to check his hair in the mirror.

          "Hi, Mad. You look nice," Chris said walking over to her and placing a small peck on her cheek. She curtsied in the ankle-length strapless gown that matched his tie and served as her maid-of-honor's dress.

          "Thank you, thank you. I just came to let you know that it's almost time. Guests are arriving," she said before searching the room. "Where's JJ?"

          "His mom called, he went out somewhere where he could get service."

He groaned when his tie came out crooked again. "See? This is why we hired Kennedy," he said over his shoulder to Lance.

          "Ken. She doesn't like to be called Kennedy."

          "Who's Ken?" Madison asked stepping forward to undo Chris' tie. She slipped it around her own neck and went to work tying it.

          "Our new stylist, Kennedy James...well, Ken James. She starts on the Euro leg of the tour. She's cool, graduated from FIDM and we hear from some other people that she's got a really good eye, so we hired her. Plus, she already came up with some cool stuff for our next video. And she's also Lance's date for today." Lance rolled his eyes.

          "Oh, cool. That sounds like a fun job: playing dress-up with five really hot guys for six months." Madison pulled the tie over her head, careful not to mess up the complicated curled and bobby pinned style her mother helped her with and slipped it over Chris' head.

          He laughed at her comment, then raised his eyebrows at she set his tie, perfectly straight at his neck. "Wow. Where'd you learn to do that?"

          She looked up at him and smiled softly, lighting up her crystal eyes. "I have a very nice daddy."

          Chris grinned back. "Is my gift for Rach here?"

          Madison linked her fingers behind her back and nodded. "Right in the front row."

          "Awesome."

          "Take care of her."

          Chris paused at the tone of Madison's voice. He angled his head and smiled, showing no teeth. "I plan to."

          "Good. Because if you don't, no one will hurt you like I will."

          Chris wanted to laugh, but had never seen Madison so serious. He patted her arm. "I know that threat comes from a place of love, Maddy, but you really don't have to worry."

          She shrugged, nonchalantly. "I know. But as the bride's best friend and maid-of-honor it's my duty to threaten the groom." He chuckled softly and she smiled widely. "See you in a bit." Madison left the room and was turning a corner at the end of the hall when Justin came speeding toward her.

          "Oh! Hey, baby." He stopped and stared with his jaw hanging open. "Wow. You look gorgeous."

          Madison giggled and let him pull her close and kissed his lips. "Flattery will get you everywhere."

          "What are you doing? Got time to pop into my room?"

          "JJ!" She smacked his arm. "No. It's almost time to start. I have to go check on Rach." She pulled back from him and started to walk away, but he caught her hand.

          "Hey...you've looked out there. Any sign of JC or Joey?" Madison lifted a shoulder and shook her head. Justin sighed and, keeping her hand in his, fell back against the wall. "Damn. I really thought I got through to Joey."

          "I'm sorry, honey."

          He shook his head. "If you ask me, the only reason JC isn't here at this point is because of Olivia."

          Madison stepped closer. "Olivia? What do you mean?"

          "Don't say anything, but...Joey told me JC and she got into this huge fight when she found out Chris and Rach would be married before them. She even threatened to call some magazine and tell them where the wedding was going to be."

          "Are you serious?"

          "Yeah, I know. I guess JC was able to talk her out of it, but I think he's not here now because she'd get pissed."

          "Do you think he's making a mistake marrying her?"

          "Chris?"

          "No!" Madison said on a laugh. "JC."

          Justin shrugged. "What do I know? My parents have three marriages between them. Whatever makes them happy makes me happy." He leaned over and pressed his lips to hers again. When she tried to break the kiss, he tugged hard on her hand to keep her in place and she laughed against his mouth.

          "I have to go check on Rach, JJ."

He pouted playfully and reluctantly loosened his hold. "Okay. Hey..." he tugged one last time. She sighed, exasperated, and raised her eyebrows expectantly. "I love you."

Her face softened, her eyebrows lowering and she gave his hand a quick squeeze. "Back at ya."

 

 

Madison walked into Rachel's room, surprised at how quiet it was and that she didn't see a bride anywhere. "Boo? Are you in here?"

Rachel opened the bathroom door and floated out, smiling from ear to ear. "I'm here."

Madison felt the tears come into her eyes and pressed her fingers to her lips. "Oh..."

Rachel held up a finger. "Don't start. ‘Cause if you start, I'll start and it took me a very long time to do this." She waved a palm in front of her face.

"You look so pretty," Madison cried.

Rachel exhaled. "Thank you. I picked a great color for you," she said walked to Madison and touching the flare of the skirt of her dress.

Madison wiped a finger under each of her eyes. "Yes, you did."

"Is it time yet?"

"That's why I'm here."

"Finally!" She fanned herself as she walked away. "I'm ready to do this thing already." Madison caught up with her at a window.

"So I guess I don't have to ask how you're doing."

Rachel's eyes aimed in her direction. "I told you not to start with me."

"I'm not."

Rachel fully faced her. "You're fishing around, trying to find out if I'm upset about my parents, Bug."

Madison tried a laugh. "No, I'm not. I swear, Boo, I just wanted to know how you're doing."

"I'm great. I am marrying the love of my life today." Madison grinned. "I'm not nervous or anxious and I don't have cold feet. Am I sad that my parents won't be by my side? Absolutely! They're my parents. But I am still going to marry Chris because I love him." Madison took her hands and they linked fingers. "And the fact that I'm not nervous and not anxious and that I don't have cold feet, only tells me that I'm doing the right thing. I am really, really fine."

Madison laughed through tears.

"Now let's go get me married."



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story