Chapter Two

 

          Rachel was sandwiched between Madison and Angela, Madison taking the lead, as they entered the nightclub. She was amazed they'd gotten in, as it had a sign posted outside that read "Under 21 Not Allowed." But Justin, a childhood friend of Madison's and the youngest member of the group, had their names on a list at the door. The moment they were verified, the three girls were swiftly whisked off to the VIP section.

          The first person Madison saw was her friend, Justin Timberlake, a classically handsome young man of seventeen with curly dark-blonde hair and bright blue eyes peeking out from long, dark-blonde lashes. He greeted her with a firm, familiar hug and peck on the cheek. Madison turned on her charm and introduced Justin to Rachel and Angela, who giggled like a five-year old the entire time. Then the dark-haired, blue-eyed Adonis that was Joshua "JC" Chasez stepped forward to hug and kiss Madison as Justin had. Rachel and Angela were introduced to him and his girlfriend of several months, Olivia. And lastly, they met Joey Fatone, the most notoriously flirtatious of the group, with dark Italian looks, and Lance Bass, a dark-blonde spiky-haired, green-eyed Southern gentleman.

          "Where's Chris?" Angela asked of the last member of the group, tugging Madison close to scream into her ear. She shrugged in answer.

          Rachel stood off to the side, smiling as best she could, then suddenly found herself sitting in a corner of the sectioned-off area by herself. Angela was off dancing and flirting like mad-with a backup dancer who had accompanied the pop starlet he danced for. Unbelieving of where she was, Rachel shrunk into the plush sofa she sat on, crossed her arms over her chest and blended into the background.

 

 

          Madison was at the bar with Justin when she spotted Rachel sulking in the dark. She was sipping from her Shirley Temple when she slapped a hand at him, hitting him in the shoulder.

          "Dude! What the hell, Mads?" He said turning to face her.

          "JJ, look at her." Madison aimed a finger in Rachel's direction. "She's miserable."

          "Well, what do you want me to do?" He asked, discreetly checking out a blonde as she waltzed by and grinning with a nod when she smirked back at him.

          "Go ask her to dance or something."

          Justin made a face and laughed. "Mads, this is Rach. According to you, she doesn't dance."

          "I know. But I hate seeing her like that." She looked at the dance floor, searching across the club.

          "Who are you looking for?" Justin raised a hand to get the bartender's attention and ordered another Coke.

          "She hasn't met Chris yet." Madison rose on her toes looking for dark spiked hair.

          Justin leaned back against the bar on his elbows. "So?"

          "So. He's her favorite." She glanced at him, grinning when he made a pained face. "Oh, please! The other three million teenage chicks in the country hold you at number one, JJ. It's your poster they kiss at night before drifting off to sleep listening to you sing Tearin' Up My Heart." She fluttered her long, black lashes playfully at him and he made a face at her, sticking out his tongue. She turned her back to him and continued to search for Chris.

          Justin frowned and his eyes roamed down Madison's tall, lean frame, his eyebrows rising as his eyes rested at the back of her mini-skirt. "So who's your favorite, Mads?"

          She turned her head, resting her chin on her tanned bare shoulder, the long, black curtain of her hair swishing softly. She narrowed her almond-shaped crystal eyes at the smirk that curved Justin's impossibly perfectly bowed lips, making his fairytale prince looks seem dangerous.

          "JC of course," she said, knowing it would irk him. She was right. His features twisted into a scowl and she stifled a giggle. "Come on, JJ." She slipped her hand in his and tugged him up from the bar, heading for the dance floor.

 

 

          Rachel watched. She watched everyone, unnoticed in her dark little corner. She watched the guys of *NSYNC, her friends, celebrities she knew, others she didn't. Her heart ached, watching JC and his girlfriend dance slowly to an up-tempo song, their bodies close, their foreheads touching. She'd heard rumors he'd been seen ring shopping and a proposal was eminent, thought they hadn't even dated a year.

          She tore her eyes from them, irritated at their blissfulness. She hadn't lied to Madison; her mood had nothing to do with her ex-boyfriend. She was glad it was over. But she liked being a girlfriend, she liked when someone liked her. He was only her third boyfriend and they were only together a whopping six months, but the way he broke up with her-over the phone, while she vacationed with her parents and older brother over Spring Break-stung more than anything else.

          Rachel realized she was pouting and forced herself to relax. She had to stop feeling sorry for herself. And stop being mopey, like Madison had said. She lifted her yes to the dance floor, surprised when she saw Justin and Madison amidst the throng of people, their bodies dangerously intimate, bumping and grinding, as they grooved to the beat of Next's Too Close.

          "Too close is right," Rachel said aloud to herself as she got to her feet. As she made her way to the stairs leading down to the dance floor, the music changed to a remixed version of the guys' very first single I Want You Back. As she reached the last step, she nearly bumped into Justin.

          "Rach! Are you enjoying the party?"

          Rachel's hazel-green eyes searched for Madison. "Yeah, sure. Where's Maddy?"

          "Oh, she's around...somewhere," he said vaguely. "You wanna dance?" Rachel frowned at him. She was sure Madison told everyone she never danced. She was about to decline when Madison rushed up next to Justin.

          "Boo! You're up. Good, you're saving me a walk. I was about to come and get you. Ooh, watch out." She tugged Rachel's arm, pulling her down from the last step to let Virgil, one of the guys' big, burly bodyguards pass. Madison nudged Justin when she spotted Chris.

          "Chris!" Justin sprung to Chris. He jolted, startled when he saw Justin. "How are ya, bro?"

          Chris scoffed and rolled his chocolate brown eyes. "Two people spilled their drinks on me and some chick was coming on to me until she realized I wasn't Howie Dorough from the Backstreet Boys. How would you be doing?"

          Justin tried to smile without it looking like he was laughing at his friend. "Uh...better when my best friend told me I'm better-looking than Howie Dorough?"

          Chris frowned. "What?"

          "Nothing. Hey, have you met Mad's friend Rachel?"

          "No. Maddy's here? No wonder you're in such a good mood," Chris muttered, mostly to himself, as Justin walked him back to the girls, who were deep in a hushed conversation.

          "Why were you dancing with him like that, Bug?"

          "Oh, come on. You know I've always had a-hi!"

          Justin playfully bowed at them. "Ladies. Rach, may I introduce you to Mr. Christopher Kirkpatrick? We call him Chris. And you can do this." Justin glared at Madison when she pinched his side. "Chris Kirkpatrick, this is Mads' best friend, Rachel Valentine."

          Chris, still miffed at being mistaken for a rival boy bander, set his lips in the smile he used when he didn't feel particularly press friendly. But when his eyes rested on the blonde-haired, green-eyed goddess standing in front of him, the "press" smile melted into something more like a goofy grin.

"Hi, I'm Chris," he said holding out his hand.

          Rachel couldn't breathe. Chris Kirkpatrick was actually standing in front of her, holding out his hand to her, looking at her with those impossibly gorgeous eyes, a funny smile on his face. She blinked at Madison when she jabbed an elbow into her ribs. She let out what sounded like a nervous chuckle and grinned at Chris.

"Hi." She slipped her hand in his; tiny, where his was large, chilly, where his was warm. He turned his wrist and brought her hands to his lips. She felt the heat rush from her hand to her cheeks. Did her heart just skip a beat? Did that really happen outside of fairytales and romance novels?

          "Nice to meet you," Chris said so softly she didn't hear him say it, but read his lips.

          Justin and Madison watched the whole scene, with differing reactions: she was surprised, he was indifferent. They both glanced back and forth between Chris and Rachel, as if they were watching a tennis match.

          "Um, yeah, we'll, uh...leave you guys alone." Justin gripped Madison's wrist. "Come on, Mads, you owe me a slow dance." Madison, her bottom lip caught between her teeth in a smile, allowed him to drag her back to the dance floor as she tried to keep Rachel and Chris in her sight.

 

 

          "So you're Maddy's best friend?" Chris asked as he and Rachel stood awkwardly together by the staircase.

          She nodded. "Yeah." Her gaze shifted constantly, roaming the club. Bit it had nothing to do with disinterest. The pictures on her walls and in all the magazines did Chris Kirkpatrick no justice. In person, the five-foot-nine singer gave guys like Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise a run for their money. At least, in her opinion.

          "That's cool." Chris watched her, grinning at the way she avoided looking directly at him. He'd have taken offense had he not noticed the way she shifted her weight from the toes to the heels of her feet every few seconds and the way she gnawed on her bottom lip.

          "Yeah..." she repeated.

          He couldn't help but chuckle. "I guess you two aren't very much alike." That brought those beautiful eyes back to his.

          "What do you mean?"

          "Well...Madison, she's very outgoing and charming. Kinda like Justin; she's just on of those people you're drawn to." Rachel's heart sank. They always went for Madison; with her exotic half-Korean features and bright commercial-perfect smile. "I've always wondered when those two would come to their senses and hook up already. But you...," he set his gaze on hers. "You're really shy and quiet...but sweet."

          Rachel smiled and blushed, only adding to the softness of her face.

          "Boo, we gotta go." Madison rushed to Rachel's side, gripping her forearm. Rachel reluctantly took her eyes from Chris.

          "Huh? Why?"

          "Ange. Dork brain forgot to tell us she had a curfew for eleven. Not a big deal; except its eleven forty-five and her dad won't stop calling her because she's been late for two curfews in the last week and a half."

          "Oh...um...okay" Rachel looked at Chris and shrugged a shoulder. "Well, it was nice meeting you, Chris. Sorry we couldn't-"

          Chris grinned. "Yeah, me too. Hey, maybe-"

          "Come on, Boo! Bye, Chris!" Madison tugged hard on Rachel's arm, toward the door and Rachel looked one last time back at Chris.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story