Chapter Three

 

          Rachel ran a damp cloth across the tiled counter. She hated working slow nights, especially during the last month of school. It was slower than usual, so she worked at the ice cream parlor alone. She glanced up at the clock, grateful she could turn that ‘Yes, We're Open!' sign over in just ten minutes. She grabbed a miniature plastic white spoon from a nearby cup, for taste tests, and spooned up some cookie dough ice cream.

          She had just popped the spoon into her mouth when she heard the bells hanging over the door jingle as someone entered the parlor. Embarrassed, she quickly turned away and swallowed the ice cream.

          "Hi, welcome to-" Rachel stopped dead in her tracks when she found Chris approaching the counter. "Chris. Um, hi."

          He knew popping up on her like this would surprise her and found pleasure in putting the rosy bloom on her cheeks. "Hi."

          "How did you-why are you-what are you doing here?" She nudged the bill of her uniform cap up, mortified that he was seeing her in the hideous required outfit.

          He smiled widely at her. She probably thought she looked a mess, but she was as beautiful as he remembered her from the club two months before. He shrugged casually. "I felt like some ice cream."

          She chuckled softly. "How did you know I worked here?"

          "Maddy." Rachel nodded and thought she must have looked like a tomato about now. Duh, you idiot. "We're in town for a few days, so I bribed Justin into calling her for me and finding out what you were up to tonight." Rachel tried to ignore the flutter in her chest. He had his best friend call her best friend and asked about her? How cute was that? "So when are you done here?"

          "Um..." Rachel turned around to look at the clock. "I start closing up in, like, five minutes." She looked at him nervously. "So...did you want something?" She motioned to the display of ice cream between them.

          Chris' lips curved again. "A date."

          Rachel's perfectly shaped eyebrows drew together. "Huh? A wha-I'm sorry, did you say a...?"

          "I want a date. With you," he said confidently.

          Rachel stared, open-mouthed. Why did she always feel like she couldn't breathe when he was looking at her with those big brown eyes? "You-you want to go out with me?"

          "Yeah. Is that okay?"

          Her eyes darted from side to side before settling on him." I guess so."

          "Great. So tomorrow, seven o'clock?"

          Her shoulders lifted and she half-smiled. "Um, okay."

          Yes! Chris held his smile and retained himself from jumping up and down. "Okay. So I'll see-I'll come by-I'll see you tomorrow." Shit, he was stuttering. She had him stuttering. Who was the last girl to do that to him? He turned on his heel and headed to the door. He had pulled it open when he remembered something. "Oh! Rach-ooh!"

          Rachel leaped back as Chris swung around. "I-I-I was just going to lock the door behind you," she said pointing a shaky finger at the door.

          "Oh...I was just going to ask you for your number." Rachel giggled quietly and provided him her number as he whipped out his cell phone. "Thanks. So...can I call you later?"

          She blushed again. "Yeah, I guess. I mean...sure."

          Chris smiled softly and touched his fingertips lightly to her pink cheek. "You're beautiful when you blush."

Rachel's lips parted, ready to speak when Chris leaned forward and pressed his lips to hers. Overwhelmed and surprised, Rachel pressed a hand to his chest pushing him away as she took a step back. "I'm sorry."

          Chris pressed his fingers to his warm lips. "Don't be. I shouldn't have done that."

          "No, it was okay." His eyes flicked quickly to hers. "It's just...um..." she nervously slipped a finger into the collar of her shirt, tugging on it. "Do you know how old I am?"

          A corner of his mouth curved. "No."

          "I'm sixteen-I mean I'll be seventeen next week, but..."

          He shrugged. "Okay."

          She stared at him; her eyes impossibly green in the artificial light of the store. "Uh...do you know how old you are?"

          He chuckled. "Yes. I'll be twenty-seven in the fall."

          She waited for him to figure it out, but when he simply smiled at her, she winced slightly. "You do realize the difference, don't you?"

          "Yes, I do. And if it bothers you, you tell me right now and I'll leave you alone. But I want you to know, I don't care how old you are. I like you."

          A smile slowly bloomed on her face. "You do?"

          "I do. All I want is a date, Rachel. Dinner and a movie, maybe some conversation. I just want to get to know you better. Is that cool?"

          She caught her bottom lip between her teeth and nodded. "It's cool."

          He took her hand and, bringing it to his lips, quietly said goodbye.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story