Chapter 3

“Spin the bottle?” Chanice asked with wide eyes.

“Yeah, that’s what this party needs. I mean, it’s up to Trace since it’s his party, but it would really get this party started.”

“I don’t care,” Trace replied nonchalantly.

“Alright, dim the lights and everyone sit down in a circle,” Britney replied before grabbing a bottle of water and emptying it’s contents and joining everyone else in the center of the room.

“Ok, so does everyone know how to play?” she asked, positioning herself between Maggie and Chanice. A chorus of ‘yeahs’ were spoken before she placed the bottle in the center and spun it.

“Looks like the birthday boy’s gonna get his kiss after all,” Maggie commented when the bottle stopped on Trace. He crawled forward and met Britney in the middle of the circle for a quick peck before spinning the bottle himself and kissing Chanice when it landed on her.

“Damn, this is the best birthday ever,” Trace joked as Chanice spun the bottle. Everything seemed to go in slow motion when the bottle finally decreased in speed and landed on Justin. Chanice looked up and saw her friend sitting there with his mouth slightly open…his reaction mirroring her own.

“Can I get another spin? That was just a practice on,” she asked.

“Nope, you know the rules; whoever it lands on is who you have to kiss. No practice spins,” said Nicole, another partygoer sitting in the circle.

“Yeah, so just kiss him and get it over with,” Lauren added. Both Chanice and Justin sighed before leaning in and giving each other a peck that lasted about a millisecond long.

“Naw uh! That was not a kiss! I kiss my grandma longer than that!” Nicole exclaimed.

“Yeah, you have to kiss him again, Nicey,” Lauren said, using her nickname for her friend. Chanice rolled her eyes.

“You didn’t say how long the kiss had to be, just that it had to be a kiss.”

“And that wasn’t a kiss. That was a peck; now do it right this time or we’ll make you French kiss him.”

“Come on Cece, let’s just get this over with,” Justin said before grabbing the back of her neck and kissing her. It lasted all of 5 seconds but it felt like a lifetime to her. Damn, the boy was a great kisser and he was only 12. When he pulled back her eyes were still closed and she licked her lips. Wow. That as the only word that could describe the kiss. His lips were so soft, so supple and even though all they did was a peck on the lips she felt as though she tasted his soul. But wait, she wasn’t supposed to be thinking about him like that, right?”

~*~

“I changed my mind!” Chanice sang along with the Keyshia Cole track. She danced around her room in her tank top and boy shorts trying to figure out what to wear on her date with Pierre. It was their 3-year anniversary and he had planned a special surprise for her.

Crack!

Chanice’s eyes shot over to her window where she heard the noise. She looked across the alleyway and saw Justin standing at his window motioning for her to do the same.

“What’s up, Jay?” she asked after raising the window.

“What are you doing?”

“Getting ready for my night out with my baby. Whatcha need?”

“Nothin’, just tryna figure out why you dancin’ around half-naked.”

“I’m not half-naked; I wear less than this at the beach, Jay. Wait, aren’t you supposed to be out with Britney?” she asked. Justin had been dating her since their sophomore year, the same year Chanice had hooked up with Pierre.

“Naw, she called and told me she wasn’t feeling good. I think it’s her time of the month.”

“Why do guys always say that? Ya’ll always think that we’re menstruating when we don’t wanna go out with ya’ll knuckleheads!”

“Well that’s gotta be the reason. Why else would she not wanna go out with all this sexiness,” he said jokingly.

“Maybe you made her sick; your ego makes me sick all the time.”

“Not funny Cece.” Chanice couldn’t stop laughing.

“Yes it is. Wait, so what are you gonna do tonight?”

“I was gonna try and hang out with you, but then I saw you dancin’ around half-naked…”

“I have on clothes!” she exclaimed.

“Not enough; I can see azz cheeks.”

“Don’t be lookin’ and you won’t see ‘em.”

“Well it’s kinda hard when it’s big and round and…”

“Jay!”

“I know, I know. That’s Pierre’s job.”

“Damn straight it is,” she replied. Was Justin flirting with her? Naw, he couldn’t have been. Nope. It was just the harmless banter they’d been doing for year…right?

“So what is it; 50 years?” he joked.

“No; it’s 3. You should know that since you and Britney’s 3 year is coming up.”

“Yeah, she can’t stop talking about it.”

“When is it again?” Chanice asked.

“The Sunday after prom. I have no idea what we’re gonna do though. Well,” he smirked, “I can think of a few things.”

“Gross Jay; I don’t wanna hear about you and Brit’s love life.”

“Well you know me; I’m a pimp.”

“You wish!” she replied playfully. All of a sudden her sidekick started playing Mary J. Blige’s ‘Be without you’, Pierre’s ringtone. She walked over to her bed to answer it.

“Hey baby.”

“Hey, I’ll be there in 15 minutes, ok?”

“Alright.”

“Alright; love you, bye.”

“Love you too, bye,” she replied before sliding the phone close.

“That was loverboy huh?” Justin asked when Chanice returned to the window.

“Yes that was Pierre; he’ll be here in 15 minutes.”

“Oh, where are ya’ll going?”

“No idea, he’s surprising me. But I gotta get dressed.”

“Yeah, I don’t want him seein’ you all half-naked and shit.”

“Timberlake…he’s seen me in less.”

“Ya’ll better not have been doin’ nothin’ nasty,” he said in a protective voice.

“That’s for me to know and you to wonder about,” she replied jokingly, “But for real Jay, I gotta get dressed. We’ll talk when I get back.”

“Alright. And make sure you’re fully covered, I don’t want him seein’ your T&A and gettin’ all excited.”

“Ok Dad.”

“For real Cece.”

“Ok Jay, bye.”

“Bye.” They both closed their windows at the same time and Chanice walked into her closet and slid on her red halter dress and tan wedge heels. Once she made sure that the straps on the shoes were secure she walked to her vanity and put on her jewelry: earrings, a charm bracelet and her senior class ring. She looked in the mirror and smoothed a stray hair before spraying on some Burberry London perfume and heading downstairs.

“My, you look pretty,” her mother greeted her when she walked into the den.

“Thanks.”

“Pierre’s on his way?”

“Yes ma’am; he should be here pretty soon.” Deborah nodded and walked over to her.

“I can’t believe that you two have been together for 3 years. It seems like it was only yesterday that your Dad and I were grilling him about his intentions with you.” Chanice chuckled.

“But he’s a sweet guy; you seem happy with him.”

“I am Mom,” Chanice replied with a smile.

“Ah, teenage love. I remember those days.”

“What days?” Both women looked up and saw Mr. White walk in the room.

“We were talking about high school romance, Marlon,” Deborah said to her husband. She walked over and kissed his cheek.

“You know your mother and I were high school sweethearts.”

“I know Daddy; do we really need to get into that story right now? I don’t think that Pierre’s gonna wanna wait around here for another hour to hear that story for the millionth time,” she said playfully.

“Actually I wouldn’t mind.” Out of nowhere Pierre stepped in the room and walked over to her and kissed her forehead sweetly.

“Your dad let me in,” he said, reading her mind. Chanice smiled at him.

“So what do you two have planned tonight?” Marlon asked.

“Well it’s sort of a surprise, but…”

“No, it’s ok; we don’t wanna ruin it then,” Deborah interjected.

“Yeah, just have her back by two; she has to sing in the choir tomorrow.” Chanice stared at her dad with wide eyes.

“It’s ya’lls 3-year anniversary; I had to extend the curfew,” he told her.

“Thank you Daddy!” she exclaimed, walking over and hugging him and her mother.

“Ya’ll are the best.”

“We know,” Deborah replied with a smile.

“I’ll have her back before then safe and sound,” Pierre said to her parents.

“Alright then; you two have fun. Happy anniversary,” Deborah said, hugging both Chanice and Pierre before walking them to the door.

“They’re so cute together,” she said to Marlon, waving at the car as the couple drove off.

“Yeah, they remind me of us at that age.”

“Too bad though…” Deborah let her words trail, not finishing her statement.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers bestfriendj