Chapter 9

 

 

The day couldn’t end soon enough. 

Both Justin and Chanice were glad that they didn’t have any after school activities because all they wanted to do was go home and go to sleep…in their own beds of course. 

“You hungry?” Justin asked as they turned out onto the main road behind their high school.  Once again he was giving her a ride home.

“Naw, I just wanna go home.  I can’t believe that bitch pulled that stunt!  Then she had the nerve enough to accuse us of messin’ around behind her back!  What the fuck kinda shit is that?”

“I mean!  Why would I do something like that?”

“Justin Randall!  Whatcha tryna say?  I’m not cute or something?”

“Well…”  Cece playfully shoved him.

“Fuck you!”

“You wish!” he replied.

“No, you do.  You know you want my body,” Chanice replied playfully.

“Oh yeah, lemme tell you about it!”  The two of them didn’t stop laughing until they pulled onto their street and saw the dozens of flowers on her doorstep.

“What the hell?” Justin asked, pulling into her driveway, “Who are these for?”  Chanice got out the SUV and walked over to the flowers to retrieve the card that was attached to them.

“They’re for me,” she said softly.

“Who are they from?” Justin asked, walking up behind her.  Chanice read the card, her eyes filling with water as she did before muttering “Pierre.”

“What?  Why would he do that?”

“I don’t know.  His card just says that he’s truly sorry and that I was the best thing that ever happened to him and that he still loves me.  He wants me to forgive him and go to the ‘Spring Formal’ with him.”  Justin sighed heavily.

“Don’t do it.”

“Don’t do what?” Chanice asked, looking up at him with confusion in her eyes.

“Don’t tell me you’re gonna let this dude back in you life after what he’s done.  Or do you just not remember?”

“I remember Jay, but people make mistakes.”

“Yeah, but that wasn’t a mistake Cece!  He put his hands on you!”  Chanice winced…he was yelling again. 

“Look, I don’t need this right now.”

“No, you don’t need him right now.  You know that this dude’s bad news, and you’re letting him back in.”

“You know what?  Just because your relationship is fucked up, doesn’t mean that everyone else’s is too, Justin.”  He could tell that he was really starting to get to her, she hardly ever called him ‘Justin’.

“Whatever, do what you want; but don’t be mad when I say ‘I told you so’.”

“Fuck you, Justin Randall.”  Chanice walked in her house and slammed the door in his face.  Justin rubbed his head furiously and crossed the stone path that led to his house; not caring that his SUV was still parked in her driveway.  Chanice turned around and slid down the door landing in a squat.  As much as she didn’t want to admit it, she knew Justin was right.  She shouldn’t let Pierre back into her life after what he did, but people make mistakes right?  He apologized and that’s all that should matter, right?  If she was so certain of herself why was continually questioning herself.  Chanice finally gave in to her gut feelings and called Pierre.

~*~

“I did it.”

“You did what?” Justin asked, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

“I called Pierre and told him that I couldn’t give him another chance.”

“You did?  What did he say?”

“He basically called me every name in the book.”

“Cece, I swear I’m gonna kill him this time.  He had no right to disrespect you like that.”

“Yeah, but I’m not saint either; we went blow for blow for a while.”  Justin chuckled.

“That’s my girl; I taught you well.”

“OMG, leave it to you to make light of a serious situation.”

“You like it!” Justin exclaimed playfully.  Chanice sighed.

“You’re crazy.”

“Crazy for you babe; only for you,” he joked again.

“OMG, what are you doing now?  I’m hungry and tonight’s ‘Date Night’ for my folks.”

“I could eat.  Where do you wanna go?”

“I don’t care; I just wanna eat.  I’ll meet you at your car in 5 minutes.”

“Alright.”  Justin hung up his phone and threw on some jeans before crossing the same pathway he’d crossed 2 hours before. 

“Hey,” Chanice greeted shyly, getting in the passenger’s side when she heard the doors unlock.

“Hey yourself.  What do you wanna eat?” Justin asked, starting the engine. 

“I really don’t care; it’s up to you.”  Justin hadn’t looked at her since they argued earlier, but noticed her bloodshot eyes when he glanced at her in the car.

“Whoa!  You ok?”

“I’m fine Jay.”

“You don’t look fine,” he replied, killing the engine and turning to face her. 

“Thanks Jay, I can always count on you to make me feel better,” she chuckled half-heartedly.

“Maybe we should order in; you don’t look like you should be out right now.”

“Once again, thanks.”

“That’s not what I mean Cece.  You just ended a major relationship.  Now I’m no ‘Dr. Phil’ or anything, but you need time to grieve.”

“OMG, I just broke up with him Jay; he didn’t die.  I’ll be fine.”

“Your mouth’s sayin’ one thing, but your eyes are sayin’ another.  It’s ok ya know.”

“Oh yeah,” she started, her voice cracking, “Why am I always the one crying?  He never shed a fuckin’ tear in this relationship!  I was always the one crying when we fought, when we broke up, through all this shit!”  Tears were streaming down her face.

“It’s ok, Cece,” Justin said, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her in for a hug.

“No it’s not!  You just broke up with Britney and you didn’t even blink!  Ya’ll have been together just as long as me and Pierre!”

“I may not have shown it, but I’m hurt Cece.  I truly am.  It’s not as acceptable for guys to cry as it is for girls, but believe me Pierre’s hurting right now because he just lost one of the most precious things on this earth.  He didn’t appreciate what he had until it was gone and he screwed himself over.”

“And what about you and Britney?  Is that how you feel?”“Our breakup was a long time coming, and I think we both knew that.”

“Why do you say that?”

“You know why Cece.”

“No, honestly I don’t.”

“Yes you do, and don’t make me tell you.  Let’s just go in this house and order Chinese and watch HBO.”  Chanice just nodded and exited the car and followed Justin to his house.  They’d gotten about halfway through their General Tso’s chicken and fried rice when Chanice asked, “Why do you think I know the reason why ya’ll broke up?”

“Because you do.”

“No, I don’t.”

“YES, you do.”

“If I knew I wouldn’t be askin’ you.  Now tell me why.”

“Because she was jealous of you.”

 



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: friendsturnedlovers bestfriendj