Date

"So anyway, we were walking down the hall together and we were talking and then all his jock friends came around teasing him and whatever, so he does the sweetest thing ever," Tiffany Matthews, one of my best friends since fifth grade, rambled on and on about Scott Smith, her dream since they met in first grade when he stole her peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I had trailed off the conversation when I spotted him.

Kyle Handler

He was the school's idol. All the girls wanted him, and all the guys wanted to be him. Smart, funny, talented at everything you could possibly name, but he was shy and didn't take popularity too well.


"I hate it that everyone likes me, ya know? I'm like a walking trophy, except when I'm with you," he once said that to me when we were sitting outside on a bench in the peaceful serenity of the park one summer. I lied about going to the library for a summer project to be with him.

"You're the only one that I know is my friend for all the right reasons. I'm glad that I have you Alonsha." he said as I looked down at my feet. I looked up and smiled at him.

"I will always be there for you. I wouldn't want you getting a big head with all these girls surrounding you. I got to keep you grounded." I joked as he smiled.

"Thanks, I need that. I need you."


"Lonnie? Hello?" Tiffany said annoyed as she flashed her hands furiously in front of my face, "Were you listening?" Tiffany asked with a huff before realizing who I was staring at.

"Oh, Kyle..." said Allison, my 'besttest' friend in the world, "The Handler Man .... he can handle me anytime." she teased as my face grew hot. It was moments like these that my brown skin came in handy.

"Shut up!" I said joking with a smile.

"Aren't you guys dating?" Tiffany asked me with a smirk. I rolled my eyes playfully and turned away from his direction.

"Anyway, Scott did what sweet thing?" I asked trying to change the subject. Tiffany began to ramble on and on again and before I knew it Kyle was sitting next to me and Scott was sitting next to Tiffy.

"Hey sweetheart." he said kissing her softly. Allison's face crumpled slightly.

"I miss Jared." she complained. Jared was her boyfriend. They so-called "fell in love before they met."

He was at a high school in the opposite direction. A senior that was a 'musician'. He played the guitar and sang to Allison every night.

What a romantic.

"That's what happens when you date someone in a different school. You should've been smart like me and Alonsha and snagged yourself a guy here." Tiffany said. I, for the millionth time that day, blushed at the comment.

I was surprised when I suddenly felt the warmth of Kyle's arms around me.

"Yeah you should've but Alonsha and Tiff already got the best guys here." Kyle said jokingly while giving me a squeeze before releasing me.

I felt strangely cold without his arms around me, but also relieved. My heart had been beating so fast and so loud that I thought Kyle could hear it. Everyone at the table shared brief laughter before the bell rung for the end of lunch and the beginning of fourth period.

Great geometry. I thought bitterly as I gathered my books. I felt a hand on my shoulder and I turned to face the owner.

It was Kyle.

His bright blue eyes and black hair seemed to shine as the sunlight seeping through the cafeteria windows danced across his flawless face.

How could someone be so perfect?

"Uh. . . Alonsha there's this thing, party. . . thing and it's Friday and all and I was just wondering if you'd like to go. . . with me. . . like on a um. . . date?" Kyle stuttered as he looked everywhere at everyone but me.

Had he just asked me out on a date? Alonsha Daniels going out on a date with Kyle Handler? How could I possibly say no? Well then again there was one reason: Daddy.

"I'd love to!" I said a little more enthusiastically then I intended, but quickly tried to cover it up, "I mean. . . sure." I said coolly as Kyle smiled at me, his hands deep inside his pockets.

Daddy who?

"Cool, so I guess I'll pick you up at your. . ." Kyle began before I cut him off.

"Tiffany's, you can pick me up at Tiffany's." I said knowing that Tiffany would do anything to get me on this date.

"Okay then it's a date, " Kyle said smiling warmly, "I'll see you later." he said shaking his hair out of his face before leaning in and softly kissing me on the cheek. I just smiled in disbelief. I was going on a date with Kyle Handler!

When the coast was clear I did a happy dance.

"YES! YES! YES!" I cheered happily before calming down. I mouthed the worlds Thank You to God before heading to class.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story