The Cherry On Top


"Justin, please talk to me," Cameron begged as she timidly sat on the edge of his bed. Justin was fully clothed in cargo shorts and a baby blue t-shirt. His bare feet hung freely over the edge of his bed while his ipod blasted N.E.R.D's "Rock Star Poser" into his ears. He could hear Cameron though. Ignoring her seemed like the best thing to do at the moment. He was too tired to argue and didn't feel like wasting his valuable voice on her.

"You ain't heard that we swallow guys. . ." Justin sang as his head bobbed to the beat, "It's too damn late to apologize. . ."

"Baby," Cameron cooed, "Can you please hear me out?"

"Go away," Justin told her, "I'm not suppose to be stressed out after my throat surgery." Cameron rolled her eyes before huffing and falling onto the bed.

"Jay," she whined, "I love you and I'm sorry for poking you in the eye." Justin glanced over at her pouting face before putting down his music.

"So it was you?" Justin asked accusingly, "I thought Alonsha did it."

"Eh," Cameron shrugged, "Her, me, whatever. I'm just sorry."

"Why should I believe that?" Justin questioned. Cameron crawled up to his side until her face was directly next to his. Her fingers idly ran through the beard that covered his face as she snuggled against him.

"Because I had a few too many that night and acted extremely immature," she explained, "Even if I can't stand Alonsha, I should've stomached her presence for the sake of you."

"And why can't you stand her again?" Justin asked, turning onto his side to face Cameron.

"Because. . ." Cameron sighed and flipped onto her back. Her fingers quickly pushed a strand of hair from her face as she nibbled on her bottom lip.

"Because. . ." Justin urged on.

"She's changing everything," Cameron answered, "And not for the better."

"What do you mean?" Justin asked.

"I mean. . .us. You. Everything inbetween," Cameron breathed, "We were so happy before she came back. Sure, we argued and stuff, but it wasn't like. . .this." Justin looked at her fiddling hands as he soaked up her words.


See, even a wise man jumps in misery somewhere down the line
But only a fool will jump the second time



"She has a right to come home, Cameron."

"I know, but that doesn't give her a right to just barge into your life again," Cameron snapped, "Who does she think she is? Just because you guys share a past, it doesn't mean she has to be in your future."


Our affair is growing stronger every day
Don't let her steal our happiness away



"But she's my friend," Justin argued, "I want her to be a part of my future."

"Don't you see what she's doing?" Cameron questioned, "Look at us, Jay. We're on the edge about everything now. Constantly arguing about every little thing. Not to mention the fact that I'm feeling neglected too. Ever since Alonsha showed it, it's like I don't even matter. And aside from that, look at yourself. You're so confused and stuck in the middle. It wasn't like that before. Things were stable and sure. You didn't have to be the center of some ongoing battle between your ex and your girlfriend. Life was much more enjoyable. You didn't have to sneak around behind my back to hangout with your friends. I wasn't some insecure mess. Things were. . . good."


Can't you see what she's doing to you boy?


Justin turned on his back also and faced the white ceiling above him. His hand came up to rest on his forehead as his finger scratched his eyebrow. Her words were so true that it amazed him that he didn't see it before. He was happy and stable before Alonsha came back. He found love again and was sure of himself. He was actually relaxed for the first time in a long time. Alonsha was really destroying that. Destroying the comfortable relationship he shared with Cameron. She made him second guess himself. She made him lie to Cameron about where he was just so he could hangout with her. She was making his life difficult when all he wanted it to be was easygoing and carefree. He didn't need all the stress she was causing him to be under.

"You're right," Justin agreed sadly, "I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner."


-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-


If I get one more piece of bullshit thrown at me, I'm going to explode.

Today has got to be one of the worse days of my life. From the very start, it was terrible.

I woke up early this morning to go for a walk with Bosco. Everything was going pretty well until I took off his leash to let him run free at this local dog park. I don't know what happened, but Bosco apparently ran after a ball and ended up in the street. This Cadillac came rolling down the road and hits him like a speed bump. I rushed him to the animal hospital and they said he might have to be put down. Nothing's official though, so I just have to sit and wait.

Then Adam and I made up. He apologized for being inconsiderate of my feelings and when I told him that I accepted it, he asked me for an apology. So I laughed in disbelief and he goes off about how I don't "take him seriously". Whatever, man. My dog might be put down, so I don't really give a fuck. We're not talking again because of his stupid sensitivity.

Those were just the layers and the frosting. The whipped topping on my cake of stress was the fight that broke out today at the center. Somebody said something about somebody's mother and all hell broke loose. I ended up being smacked when I tried to pull the girls apart and I had to kick them both out while Chris apologized to the donation makers that were visiting the center that day. We definitely made a first impression because they walked out before we could blink.

Now all I need is a cherry to top off my disasterous day and the pile of bullshit will be complete. . .

"I'm coming!" I shout impatiently as a relentless tapping at my door interrupts me. I was stuck planning a fundraiser since we lost our big donation due to the fighting incident. I really hate fundraisers because nothing is an original idea. I need something new, fresh, creative. . .

"Justin," I greet with a small smile, "Nice to see you." It really was. I hadn't spoken to him since that delightful party two weeks ago and I must say I'm surprised to see him making an effort to communicate. He was really pissed that night.

"Hey," he says hoarsely, obviously due to his throat surgery, "I wanted to talk to you." I gesture for him to come in as I opened the door wider. He took a seat on my biege sofa while I made my way over to the chair across from him. I tucked one of my legs beneath my thigh and gently swung my feet.

"What's up?" I asked.

"I had a talk with Cameron. . ." As soon as he said that, I knew what was coming. I rolled my eyes and stood up.

"Okay, if you want another hiatus thing, so be it," I told him as I made my way back to my kitchen table.

"You don't understand," Justin said softly, "It's not a hiatus."

"Really?" I asked him, stopping in my tracks and facing him, "What is it then?" I wondered if he actually told her to fuck off with her insecurities and let her know we were going to be friends regardless.

"It's a permanent ending to our friendship." I was frozen into place as his words hit me.

"Wha. . .what?" He looked down at his hands before shoving them in his pockets. His eyes looked into mine as he shrugged.

"It's too much right now," he explained, "Our thing is getting in the way of my new life, Alonsha."

"Our 'thing'?" I mocked, "We're not having an affair, Justin. It's a friendship."

"I know, but it's still having a negative impact."

"On Cameron," I added, "I swear, she snaps and you come running."

"This isn't really about Cameron. . ."

"Don't bullshit me, Timberlake," I told him curtly, "It's always about Cameron and her not liking me. You said that you spoke to her, didn't you? Is that where this brilliant idea came from?"

"Cameron didn't ask me to end our friendship," Justin stated in annoyed tone.

"No, she just strongly suggested it," I told him sarcastically.

"She simply expressed her feelings about things and I feel the same way she does."

"Of course you do," I said mockingly, "Whatever Cameron feels, you have to feel. You're just her puppet, you know that?"

"I'm not anybody's puppet!" Justin's anger did nothing to intimidate me. It made me ten times madder.

"Yeah, you are," I corrected, "But you know what? I don't even care anymore. I was sick of the on again, off again friendship we had anyway."

"I was sick of doing that too."

"Well, you're the genius who thought it was the best thing," I snapped, "But you have the audacity to make it seem like everything's my fault. You're the one who's confused here, Justin. I know where I stand on this. You just can't grow some balls and tell Cameron to get over herself."

"Don't-"

"Don't what?" I asked rhetorically, "Tell you the truth? Let you know how it is?"

"This isn't something I want, Alonsha," Justin said calmly, "I just think everybody's better off. Besides, I'm going back home for a while to catch a break before heading up to New York with Cameron, so we won't be around each other anyway." I scoff and turn my back to him as I walk in the direction of my kitchen.

"Do me a favor and lock the door on your way out," I called over my shoulder as I took a seat at my table. A few moments of silence pass as I pretend be to preoccupied with my work before I can hear Justin breathe in deeply. He finally makes his exit known when he slams my door so hard that everything shakes.

Bastard.

I bet he's running off to mama Cameron so she can make him feel better. God, he makes me so sick sometimes. How can he come waltzing through my door, practically telling me I'm the cause of all his relationship problems. What the fuck is that? If Cameron wants to be a little bitch and go whining to Justin about how great he was without me, fine. But for him to tell me she's right is just a slap in the face. He's the one that's wrong here. He's the one that doesn't make any sense, but has the nerve to play victim.

Damn it. I can't even concentrate anymore with all the emotions running through me. I can feel my eyes well up and my hands subconsciously wipe away angry tears while I sniffle.

That's great. I'm crying like a bitch over this. Just when I think my day couldn't get any worse, here comes the cherry on top.




Song Credit:

"Victim of a Foolish Heart" - Joss Stone


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story