Sensitive Subject Matter




Justin sighed as he leaned his head against the cool glass of his Mercedes' window. His eyes traveled up the tall apartment building and his heart sank with the realization of what he was about to do.

He couldn't have Alonsha in his life.

Not that he didn't want to. Justin knew that he had love for her and he always would, but that didn't make up for the pain she put him through. Sure, their friendship means a lot to him, but it isn't the world. It's hard though. Alonsha and him had been virtually inseparable since their meeting in the Gap store a few years back. She knew things about him that Cameron had yet to find out and understood him in some ways nobody else did.

At least she used to. But things were different now. Over the past three years, Justin has grown, moved on, and has learned things the hard way. Especially heart break. He learned that the only way to prevent it was to kill every chance it got. That's why he was parked outside of her apartment complex, to stop the inevitable.

Alonsha was going to hurt him again, one way or another. He just knew that if he forgave her, their friendship would fall right into place and she'd slowly but surely inch her way into his heart. Then BAM! She'll fly off to Maine somewhere and leave him to bleed. Justin wasn't kidding when he said she hurt him. Alonsha should've just cut him with razor blades and thrown him in salt water. The burn would've hurt a lot less than the turmoil he went through worrying about her for those three years.


I told I would be there for you
A promise I intend to keep
But the subject matter here is a little too close to home
And now I can't take back what I gave



"It's now or never, Justin," he mumbled to himself as he finally exited the black vehicle he had been sitting in for fifteen minutes. As his Nike cladded feet touched the ground, his stomach overflowed with butterflies. He felt so guilty for what he was about to do.

Justin let out a ragged breath as he made his way inside. He decided to take the stairs, hoping that the small walk would ease his nerves. When he finally approached her floor, he took his time walking to her door. His hand reached up and gently tapped on stained wood. As he inhaled and exhaled, he tried to convince himself that this was the right thing to do.


All the times we've seen
All the states we've been in
You always saved me from my troubled self it seemed



The clicks of her door's locks caught his attention. He looked and nervously dug his hands into his pockets when she was standing in front of him, all smiles in her shorts and tee.

"Justin," she greeted, "I didn't know you were coming down today." The thought finally occurred to him that he didn't call her in advance because of his nerves.

"Sorry," he apologized, "I was just in the neighborhood, I guess." Lie. Such a huge lie.

"Oh, well come on in," she offered politely, "It's nice to have you here." Justin weakly smiled and walked in her cozy home. An apple cinnamon scent entered his senses as he made his way inside of the small living room.

"Smells good," Justin complimented, "Are you cookin'?" Alonsha nodded as she locked the door.

"Apple pie," she stated simply, "Adam was feeling a little homesick, so I offered to bake him his favorite dessert." Justin was almost tempted to roll his eyes at the thought of the guy. He had yet to meet him, but just knowing he was still breathing was irritating.

"So. . ." Justin began, "You and Adam, huh?" Alonsha laughed that contagious cackle before making her way into the kitchen.

"Yeah, sure," she told him sarcastically, "We're an item." Justin smiled awkwardly as he followed her into the kitchen. He watched as she bent over and grabbed the golden brown pie out of the oven. His eyes fell onto her ass and he mentally kicked himself.

"Alonsha?" Justin spoke softly as Alonsha rested the dish on the stove top to cool, "We need to talk." He could see her glow dim down at his tone. She nodded and took off the cooking gloves she had been wearing.

"I know," she sighed, "I've got something to tell you too."


But now I'm hearing all these words you say
And I'm not sure if I can stay
And listen to you melting all my dreams



"I think I should go first," Justin interrupted, "Believe me, you want to hear this." Actually, Justin just didn't want to hear her. The last thing he needed was one of those 'You're such a great guy' speeches that cause him to go through another guilt trip.

"Justin, I really think that you-"

"I can't do this," he stated, abruptly cutting her off, "I can't forgive you."


Baby its you that kept my feet on the ground
Thought that I could choose if I always wanted you around
Darling I do
Think we need time apart
I still need time to mend my broken seams



"Jay-"

"Alonsha, I know that this might be hard to deal with, but this is how I feel," Justin continued, "You did me wrong. Broke the trust I had for you and no matter what you say to me, that's not going to change."

"I beg to differ," Alonsha argued, only to be interrupted again.

"I think it's better if we spend some time apart, ya know?" Justin spoke slowly as he looked down at his hands, "It's been three years without you, and it sucked. But having you back doesn't really ease the pain. I feel like it's making things worse for me, for us."


I told you I would listen to you
So I'm all ears
But don’t ask me respond
You're pleased from my advice
'Cause now I'm too burdened to speak



"I listened to your side of things," Justin added, "I understand that you had to pull away and do your own thing, but I just can't get over the fact that you. . . abandoned me," He finally looked up at her, staring into her brown eyes, "I do love you, Lonnie. You know that's not gonna change. But I just can't let you in again. Not if there's a chance that you'll hurt me like before."


Baby it's you that kept my feet on the ground
Thought that I could choose if I always wanted you around
Darling I do
Think we need time apart
I think the time has come for me to go



"I mean, maybe it'll work out in the end," Justin carried on, "Maybe I'll be able to forgive you one day. . .Maybe I'll be able to truly understand what the hell you were thinking when you were away for those three years, not bothering to call. Maybe. . .Maybe we'll be friends again in the long run. But as of now, I can't. The confusion and shit in my head is so far from sorted out that it's not even funny. It's so not funny. . ."


But I can not forget how hard I cried
When I discovered you had lied
When you said I could never hurt like this



"Justin?" Alonsha stated softly, causing his blue eyes to meet her brown ones, "I really appreciate all that you're trying to say, but can I please get a word in?" He looked at her momentarily, before nodding slowly.

"Okay," he replied, "I'm listening."

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-




". . .So, that's why I was gone for two more years," I said as I finished explaining myself to Justin. For a moment, he stared at me, eyes wide, mouth shut. The shocked expression on his baby face only caused me to feel some shame. I knew he was judging me in some way. Thinking that I really wasn't the person he once knew.

"I. . ." Justin began, only to trail off. I looked away from him, feeling uncomfortable beneath his gaze.

"You can't believe it, huh?" I finished for him with a soft smile, "I didn't believe it myself until I finally saw my reflection that morning." Unexpectedly, Justin's warm hand rested over mine. I looked up and he searched my eyes before smiling.

"I was going to say that I admired your strength, Alonsha," he stated honestly, "I'm sorry that you went through all that, but I'm proud of you for pulling through it. And by yourself? That's amazing."

"I had good people around me," I mentioned, "I also had some great people in mind." He stares at me for a second longer before realizing our hands are still connected. He glances down at them before pulling away from me.

"Well, I guess everything I said before was crap," He chuckled, "I think our friendship deserves a clean slate. What do you think?" I smiled brightly.

"I think that's all I ever wanted." Justin jumps up suddenly, placing his hands on his hips like he was some sort of superhero.

"How about a celebratory ice cream on me?" he offers, "They built this cute little sundae shop on Sunset." Before I can answer a giddy 'yes', I realize that I was suppose to go down to the center to give Adam some pie.

"Yeah, but could we make a stop at the center?" Justin raises a brow and I explain simply, "Adam's pie." He wrinkles his nose before sighing.

"Fine, but we're not waiting on the mofo," I laughed out loud and nodded.

"Okay," I agreed, "I'll just drop it off and run back to the car." Justin nods as I stand up and begin to gather up the dessert.

"Sounds like a plan," Justin smiled as he took the pie from my hands, "Let me carry this for you." I smiled and gave him the pie. I was grateful for his sudden change in attitude.

"Thanks." I walked over to the front door and held it open for him. As he walked through, I followed behind him, locking the door behind me. We took the elevator down to the first floor, exiting the building. Justin led the way to his Mercedes and opened the door for me. His inner southern gentlemen was definitely revealing himself today and I couldn't be happier.

And to think, I actually thought he'd see me differently. I'm glad that he admires my strength instead of being disgusted by my alcoholic down fall.

"You alright?" Justin asked as he glanced over at me. I nodded and offered him a small smile.

"How could I not be?" I asked, "I got my friend back," Justin laughed and stared intently at the road.


Reunited and it feels so good
Reunited 'cause we understood



"I see you're still the dork I remember," I rolled my eyes playfully, "And you still have that attitude." We both laughed as Justin continued down the small streets. The rest of our drive is in a comfortable silence and I can't get the smile off of my face. I know that Justin and I have a long way to go, but this is definitely a step forward. I was more than determined to get that best friend of mine back.

"You can pull over right here," I said as I pointed to a parking spot. Justin maneuvers the car into the area and took the pie off of my lap so that I could get out.

"Hurry up or I'm eating alone," Justin threatens with a lopsided grin. I once again rolled my eyes and smiled, taking the pie from his hands.

"Alright, man. No need to get feisty." He laughs and settles into his seat before I walk inside of the center. The kids instantly flock toward me, staring at the food in my hands.

"Back up, losers. That's mine!" Adam calls over the crowd as I giggle. The kids scatter away laughing as Adam approaches me.

"There's enough to share," I reasoned, "Let's not get greedy." He smiles and lifts the edge of the plastic covering, breathing in the scent.

"Hell no," he laughed, "This is just too good." I smile and give him the pie.

"At least give some to Chris." Adam shrugs.

"I guess I could spare one piece," he mumbles, "Or two, if you're interested." I give him a sympathetic look before looking outside. I can see Justin leaning over into the passenger seat window, raising a brow and pointing to his watch with a huge smile. I chuckle and turn back to Adam.

"Sorry, but I promised Justin we'd hang out," I explained, "Rain check?" Adam nods, waving me off.

"He's finally talking to you again, Lonnie," he said, "That's bigger than eating pie with me." I feel somewhat guilty, but he's right.

"Okay, as long as you're cool with it," I said as Adam offers me a one arm hug.

"Have fun, okay?" I nod, "And thanks for the pie."

"You're welcome," I told him politely before I turn and walk towards the door, "Share!" I call over my shoulder with a smile. He smiled and rolled his eyes. I make my way back out to the car where Justin impatiently sighs.

"Damn," he complains, "Were you making another pie or something." I laugh lightly.

"I was in there for like five minutes, Justin."

"Five minutes too long," he smirks, "What did he say?" I shrugged.

"He wanted to eat the pie with me, but I told him that I was hanging with you tonight." Justin bobbed his head to the sound of Trick Daddy's 'Sugar', turning up the volume.

"Are you and Adam. . ." He paused, "Close?"

"He's cool," I replied, "Very polite and kind. But we're not close. . . Friends, but not best friends, I guess."

"Cool." The car goes back to silence except for the music booming through his speakers.

"So, you and Cam, huh?" I started off, "You two are tying the knot?" Justin's face contorts with confusion.

"Did you read that out of a tabloid?" he questioned.

"No, Cameron told me," I turned to face him, "When I came back to your house that day. She said she was your fiance." Justin rolled his eyes.

"We're not engaged," Justin opposed.

"She had a ring on her finger," I said, "A very nice ring, might I add."

"It's a commitment ring," Justin elaborated, "Like a promise ring almost. She doesn't even want to-" He abruptly stopped speaking and I raised a brow.

"Doesn't want to what?" I questioned. Justin shook his head and licked his lips.

"It doesn't really matter," he said quietly, "This about our friendship, girl. Let's not worry about anything else, alright?" I can see him put on smile. I know we've been apart for three years, but I can tell a fake grin from a real one. Whatever he wasn't saying was upsetting him.

"You're right," I agreed, "This is about you and me, homeslice." Justin laughed heartily and looked over at me.

"Not that word again," he complained. I smiled over at him, despite the fact that he was once again facing the road.

"You know you love it," I taunted, "You just don't want to admit it." He snorted obnoxiously.

"Yeah, you keep telling yourself that." I glared at him and turned to face my window.

"Go to hell, Timberlake." Justin reaches over and pokes my side, causing me to giggle.

"Save me a seat?" he asked. I grinned and turned to him.

"You know it."


There's one perfect fit
And, sugar, this one is it
We both are so excited 'cause we're reunited, hey, hey




Song Credit:

"Sensitive Subject Matter" - Bonnie McKee

"Reunited"- Peaches & Herb



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story