Meeting Cameron


It's been about two weeks since Justin and I started speaking again. Even though I can sense some hesitation on Justin's part to talk to me about his feelings and such, we still can go back to our childish antics like we always used to do. It's a feeling of content that washes over me whenever we talk about an old story that used to have us doubling over with laughter. We become kids again when we're around each other, eating ice cream sundaes and giggling at inside jokes. It's great to have him back in my life again. I know that I'm lucky that he even considered a renewal of our friendship, so I'm not going to do anything to mess this up.

"So, I thinking," Justin began, the hesitation was evident in his tone, "Maybe you can swing by my place tonight and meet Cameron." My eyes widened with shock as I continued to pick at my warm funnel cake.

"Meet Cameron?" I asked as Justin reached over and stole a piece of my dessert, "Are you sure?" He shrugs nonchalantly and sucks the powdered sugar from his fingertips.

"Well, I think it's only right she meets you," Justin smiled, "She has to judge all my female friends and make sure they're worthy of my companionship." I laughed and nodded.

"Okay, if I must be judged. . ." I mumbled as a feeling of uncertainty washed over me. It was the typical nervousness you get when meeting new people combined with the unmistakable fear of rejection. I'm quite sure Cameron knows about Justin and I since she is his girlfriend. Justin's very up-front about things when it comes to the women he loves.

"Hey," Justin said softly as his nudges me with his elbow, "It'll be fun, so stop looking so worried, okay?" I shrug as Justin and I continue to walk down Beverly Boulevard, passing by the Hard Rock Café.

"Remember when Tiffany had her party here?" I questioned suddenly as the memory filled my mind. Justin laughed and nodded.

"How could I forget the night I puked all over the birthday girl?" I wrinkled my nose at the memory.

"Scott wanted to kill you," I told him with a smile.

"I wasn't worried about Scott," Justin laughed, "I was more afraid of Tiffany." I laughed out loud and Justin chuckled before rolling his eyes.

"Look, paparazzi," I was turning to look, but Justin quickly grabbed my arm.

"What?" I asked.

"Don't look at them," Justin said, "It's what they want." I nodded and we continued to walk down the street.

"So, anyway," I began, wanting to break up the silence that was already consuming our conversation, "What should I wear to dinner?"

"Something dressy, casual," Justin described, revealing his metrosexual side, "You know, something loose and breathable, but not prom-like." I giggled and Justin playfully shoved me.

"You are such a girl, I swear." Justin smiled and raised a brow.

"Since I'm such a girl, that means I can kick your ass without looking like a jerk?" I glared at him as he ripped about half of my funnel cake from my hands and stuffed it into his mouth.

"I thought you didn't want funnel cake?" I asked. He, once again, shrugs his board shoulders.

"At the time I didn't want it. But now," He pauses to lick his fingers clean, "I do." I rolled my eyes and swatted his hands as he reached out for more.

"Touch it again and I'll kill you," I threatened.

"Look!" Justin shouted suddenly, causing me to whip my head around to see what all his excitement was about.

"What are you-"

"Mine!" Justin called out triumphantly as he grabbed my plate from my hands and stuffed the rest of my cake in his mouth. I stared at him in shock as he laughed and wiped his mouth clean.

"You greedy, heifer." Justin laughed licked the sugar from his lips. His eyes widened and he feigned a look of innocence.

"What?" he asked in an adorable tone. I rolled my eyes and smiled.

"You own me a new cake, buddy." He let out an exaggerated tone of annoyance as he draped his arm over my shoulder.

"Fine," he agreed, "But with more sugar this time. I'm on a high." I laughed for the millionth time and nodded. This boy is too much.


-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-


Dinner came too soon. I was lost as to what to wear, but I opted for a long linen skirt, a tank, and some simple sandals. I turned toward my mirror as I put in my earrings. My hands ran down my thighs, flattening out any wrinkles I might have missed. I made sure my curls were in place and sprayed myself with Pearberry body mist. As the fruity scent entered my senses, the buzz of the intercom, as well as Bosco's excited bark, filled the apartment. I glanced down at my watch as I made my way over to the door. Justin was right on time to pick me up and I was actually ready.

"Hey," Justin greeted as he kissed my cheek, "You look great." I smiled at his compliment and my eyes ran over his form. His light khakis and baby blue shirt made him look adorable and mature. His cologne was a light, masculine scent and he groomed the bread that once controlled his face.

"So do you," I replied, noticing the blush that crept into his cheeks.

"Thanks," he said quickly, "You ready to go?" I nod and turn to Bosco, squatted down to pet his head.

"Mama's coming back soon, okay?" He barks a response and I stand up straight, giving my attention to Justin, "Okay, I'm ready." He smiled and opened the door for me, following the tradition of ladies first. Before we continue downstairs, I check to make sure the door is locked and straighten out my tank.

"Stop with the fidgeting," Justin whined as we made our way down, "You got nothin' to worry about."

"I'm just. . . nervous, I guess," I explained as the echo of my heals vibrated through the stairway.

"Cam's completely harmless," Justin assured, "Unless you're the paparazzi." He mumbled that last part before tucking his hands into his pockets.

"Uh huh. . ." I said as I looked at his suspiciously, "How long have you guys been together?"

"Two years in August," Justin grins, "She's really wonderful. Oh my God, she's hilarious too. And smart, and gorgeous, and just an all-around freak show, in a good way." I laughed as he gushed. Justin held the front door open for me and I thanked him.

"You must really love her," I commented as Justin smiled.

"Yeah, I do," He looked over at me with sparkling eyes, "You're going to also. Five minutes into dinner, you'll wish you were me." I giggled as Justin unlocked the doors to his BMW with the remote on his keychain. I slipped inside the car, completely marveled by his clean interior and leather seating. Justin knew how to pick a car.

"Well, I can't wait to meet her," I told him, "Especially if she's this great." Justin nodded and turned on his radio, allowing the smooth sounds of Al Green to flow through the speakers.

"Girl, I'm so in love with you. . ." Justin sung as he swayed in his seat, reversing out of the parking lot at the same time, "Oh yeah, I met Al Green, girl!" Justin announces.

"Really?" I questioned, "When?"

"I did this Down Home in Memphis show and he actually agreed to performing this very song with me," He animatedly waves one hand around in excitement, "Dude, I was so. . . honored. I was like 'stop playin', Johnny', but it was no joke! Man, to be on stage with him, singing one of my favorite songs of all time, was just a-ma-zing." He takes a moment to reflect before grinning at me.

"That is amazing, Jay," I agreed, "I wish I could've seen that."

"You still can," Justin laughed, "My mom's got it on TiVo."

"Good," I smiled, "Two of my favorite guys on stage is definitely a treat." Justin cheeses as he turns up to the gated entrance to his home.

"What's up, Dre?" Justin greeted, "Workin' late?" Andre shakes his head and sends me a wave.

"Nope, Mike's coming down in twenty minutes to take over. Me and the misses have an evening planned out." Justin chuckled as the gates began to open.

"Okay, Dre," Justin teases, "You never stop, do you?" Dre laughed and did that handshake thing with Justin.

"You know how it is, playa," I was tempted to roll my eyes, but I kept quiet, "Ya'll have a good night." Justin and I tell him to do that same and drive up the pathway. As we approach the unpaved parking area, I looked up at the estate. Lights were open everywhere, giving off a yellow glow.

"Come on, girl," Justin called as he got out, "You can't stay in the car forever." I wanted to try, but I didn't want to chicken out of meeting his girlfriend. My passenger side door swung open and Justin offered me his hand. I took it and pulled myself out of the vehicle. The rocks crunched beneath my feet as I made my way to the first door, Justin already a few feet ahead of me.

"Is it just us three?" I asked as Justin opened the door and waited for me to walk through.

"Nah, Trace is here." Justin informed me as I nodded. Good, Trace was a comfort.

"Wassup, dawg?" Trace greeted as he walked over to Justin, "And hellos, Miss. Daniels." He leans over and kisses my cheek.

"Hey, Trace," I said as I smile at him, "What's been going on?"

"Nothing," He shrugs, "And don't worry about Cameron. I won't let her get you." He winks, but I can't tell if he's serious or not. When I turned to face Justin, he had already run off somewhere.

"Why would I worry about Cameron?" I questioned before the echo of heels caught my attention. I looked over in the direction of the noise, only to be met by glaring eyes and crossed arms as Cameron stood before me. Her long, lean body was covered in a springlike halter dress, a pure black in color that matched her high-heeled shoes. Her hair was up in a messy bun that only she could make glamorous and gold jewelry found a spot on ever wrist, ear, and ankle on her body. Not to mention her stunning necklace and 'promise' ring.

Her defensive stance informed me that I wasn't her favorite person in the world and Justin's awkward look of uncertainty only added to my nervousness.

"Cameron, this is Alonsha. Alonsha, this is Cameron." Justin introduced as he forcefully shoved Cameron toward me. She jerked forward and shook my hand with a strong grip.

"Hello." Her tone was eerily sweet and contrasted completely with the aggressiveness of her handshake, "So nice to see you again." I smiled and yanked my hand away from hers.

Wish I could say the same. "It's good to see you too." I said through gritted teeth. She turned her back to me, walking out of the room and into the kitchen.

"Don't you just love her?" Justin asked. I narrowed my eyes at him and plastered a smile across my face in a condescending manner.

"Oh yeah, we're gonna be the best of friends."



-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-


Justin sighed as he finished clearing off the table and Trace helped him, both glancing worriedly at the two women sitting across from each other in the living room. If looks could kill, Cameron would be arrested for murder.

"I knew Cameron wasn't exactly thrilled when I suggested the whole dinner thing, but damn, she can at least be somewhat civilized." Justin groaned as he rinsed off a plate, handing it to Trace for drying.

"Well, can you blame her?" Trace questioned, "You painted this picture of Alonsha being this heartbreaking jerk. She's just looking for you, man. That's why you should explain the entire situation to her." Justin shook his head, rinsing out a wine glass.

"No, I can't," Justin handed the glass over, "It's a personal thing between the group. I don't want to advertise Alonsha's issues. Lord knows Cam would have a field day with the whole detox story."

"Oh come on, man. Cam's mature enough not to make fun of something that serious." Justin shot him a look and rolled his eyes.

"We all know how immature Cameron can be when she doesn't like somebody."

"She knew Alonsha for an hour, how can she not like her?" Justin shrugged.

"All I know is that she thinks Alonsha's pompous for some reason. She claims that Alonsha should've stayed wherever she was at and not try to impose on my new life." Trace looked up at Justin with questioning eyes.

"What do you think about that?" he asked. Justin washed off his hands as he finished with the last dish.

"I don't know," Justin confessed, "That's the same way I felt before I found out about all that other crap that went on."

"So, you don't feel that way now?" Justin shrugged again and ran his hand over his face.

"I don't know," he said, "Some part of me believes that it's what should've happened, but another part of me knows that she's suppose to be in my life."

"I agree with the second part," Trace revealed, "Dude, I know she's suppose to be in your life. If she wasn't, she wouldn't be here right now."


-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-


"So," Cameron began, interrupting the silence of the room, "How do you live with yourself?" I looked over at her, confused by her question.

"What are you talking about?" She tilts her head to the side, brushing a loose strand of hair from her face.

"I'm talking about the whole situation of you hoping on a plane to a no-man’s-land and abandoning a man you claimed to have loved." I narrowed my eyes at her and sat up in my seat.

"That situation has nothing to do with you." She laughs lightly and rolls her eyes.

"Really?" she questions, "Because, if I'm not mistaken, you're the reason why it took almost a year for Justin to be even remotely close to trusting me."

"I'm sorry to hear that," I told her, stone-faced, "Really, I am." My tone is far from convincing and the look of annoyance that floods her face is gratifying.

"How can you be so cold?" she asked in a dramatic tone, "You never really loved him."

"You are in no position to question what I felt for Justin," I told her, "I did love him. My leaving had nothing to do with him."

"So, you were being selfish?" Cameron raises an arched brow, "Yeah, that's an even better excuse for leaving." Before I can respond, Justin and Trace enter the room, ice cream filled bowls in hand.

"A treat for ya'll," Justin announces, giving Cameron and I bowls and spoons, "Enjoy, ladies." We all begin to eat our desserts. Trace and Justin begin to speak, trying to enter Cameron and me into their conversation, but we're both not into it. She's too busy glaring at me, and I'm too busy doing the same to her.

I feel foolish doing it. I really don't have anything against the girl. I was actually looking forward to meeting the wonderful woman Justin can't stop gushing about. But she's a bitch. Simple as that. I understand she wants to protect Justin from whatever evil plan she thinks I have brewed in my head to hurt him, but she could at least give me the benefit of the doubt.

"So, how's everything down at the center?" Justin's voice interrupts our staring contest, "How's Adam?"

"Adam?" Cameron questioned curiously, "Is he a boyfriend of yours?" She's saying it like I have more than one.

"No," I answer curtly, "He's a fellow counselor at the recreation center I work at."

"You're a counselor?" Cameron snorts, "HA! How ironic is that? The counselor needs counseling." I sigh and bite my bottom lip to hold back the words I wanted to hurl at her.

"Cameron!" Justin reprimanded, "What is wrong with you?" he whispered harshly. Cameron crumples her face into a childish pout, folding her arms over her flat chest.

"I'm not the problem," she whispers back, as though we couldn't hear her, "Why are you yelling at me."

"I'm not-" Justin halts his conversation when he realizes Trace and I are watching them, "Can we talk in the kitchen, Cameron?" He stands and offers his hand, only to be brushed off as Cameron stands and stalks into the kitchen. Trace begins to dig into his ice cream again and I begin to do the same.

Three words: Worst. Night. Ever.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story