The Things He Missed


"Yeah. . . For real? Oh my God, Cyndi!" Justin rolled his eyes as Cameron continued to squeal girlishly into her cell phone, completely engrossed in her pointless conversation. She had been talking on that phone ever since they started shopping two hours ago. Normally, Justin would be preoccupied by Trace's company, but not today. Trace decided to hang out with Elisha again before she went off to promote her new movie. He couldn't remember the name of it. Something about wax though. . .

"That's so pretty." As soon as her mesmerized voice entered his ears, Justin's eyes fell onto her form. Her hair was out today, the wavy tresses covered her shoulders and surrounded her round face. She wore a simple vintage tee, jeans, and flip flops. Her chandelier earrings dangled from her ears as the gems gleamed in the light. . .

She was absolutely beautiful.

Adam seemed to have noticed. His hand was on the small of her back, dangerously close to the curve of her ass. An ass of perfection. Justin missed that ass. Hell, he missed ass in general. Especially since Cameron didn't have one. Not that he was complaining about her appearance. Cameron was attractive. Anyone could see that. But Justin liked. . . curves. Voluptuous women. Cameron just wasn't like that.

"What's pretty?" Justin asked, walking up beside the couple. Cameron had made her way toward the back of the antique shop.

"This," Alonsha said, pointing toward a wooden jewelry case, "It's engraved." Justin leaned over the glass counter and peered inside. The case simply read Forever in script. Golden flowers decorated the edges and green vines ran along the sides. Justin thought it was pretty too.

"That's a Victorian age jewelry case. It's a steal at one-hundred and fifty dollars." The three of them looked up instantaneously. They were met by the bright green eyes and pearly white smile of a sales associate, "I'm Amber by the way." She extends her hand toward Justin, completely ignoring Alonsha and Adam.

"Justin," he replies, "One hundred and fifty, you say?" She nods and Justin looks down at Alonsha. She crinkles her nose and looks longingly at the case. She wants it, he knows.

"I'll take it," Adam offers suddenly. Alonsha and Justin give him a surprised look.

"You sure, man?" Justin asked, angry that he offered before he got a chance to, "I'll pay for it." Adam waved him off.

"Nah, thanks anyway," he said politely, "I've got it covered." He pulls out a Visa card and hands it to Amber.

"I'll be right back," She strolls off and Alonsha pulls away from Adam. She looks angry and Justin laughs on the inside. Adam was going to get it.

"What did you buy it for?" she asked. Adam shrugs and looks down at her.

"You were practically drooling over it," Adam explains, "I wanted you to be happy."

"By buying me a one-hundred and fifty dollar jewelry case?" You tell him, Alonsha! Justin thought.

"Well, sorry," Adam says sarcastically, "God forbid if I want to do something nice for my girlfriend." His hurt tone causes Alonsha's features to soften.

"You don't have to buy me things to make me happy," Alonsha said softly, "I'm already happy, Adam." She interlocks their arms and snuggles against him. Adam leans down and places a soft kiss on her lips. Justin cringes and turns away from them. All their boo-loving was starting to make his stomach churn.

"They are so cute," Cameron whispers, coming up beside Justin.

"So, it does come off?" Justin asked playfully. Cameron gave him a confused look.

"What comes off?" she asked him.

"That chunk of cell phone that seems to be permanently attached to your ear." She shoved him and rolled her eyes.

"Shut up." He rolled his eyes when the annoying sound of her ring tone vibrated through his ears. She gave him a small smile before answering.

"Hello. . ." Her voice became distant as she began to walk back to her talking corner, leaving Justin alone with the lovebirds again. He swallowed hard and turned to face them. They had, fortunately, stopped their mini make out session and were watching Amber pack up the case. Justin rocked back and forth on his heels as he waited for them to hurry.

"Okay, we're done," Alonsha said, "Where's Cam?" Justin nodded toward the opposite side of the store before signaling for Cameron to come over to the group. Once he got her attention, they made their way out. As they walked out the air-conditioned building, their skin was met by a warm and welcoming breeze. Justin glanced around and noticed a small group of paparazzi across the street, bobbing up and down behind a black truck, as if he didn't know they were there.

"Where to next?" Adam asked curiously. Alonsha looked at Justin who looked over at Cameron, who was still babbling aimlessly into her cell. He turned back to Alonsha and shrugged.

"All this shopping is draining me," Justin complained, "I say we head up to Melrose and go to Starbucks for a caffeine intake."

"Sounds like a plan," Adam said, "Then we can check out that sneaker place you were talking about." Justin nodded at his suggestion before turning to Cameron.

"C'mon, we're going to the car," he informed him. She only nodded and walked forward. The three of them followed her lead as they made their way down the busy LA street.

"Is it always like this?" Adam asked quietly. Justin and Alonsha looked over at him.

"Like what?" they said in unison.

"The paparazzi and stuff," he explained, "Are they always. . . everywhere?" Justin shrugged and rolled his eyes.

"Unfortunately," he answered, "I don't know what's so interesting about me shopping, but whatever floats their boats." Adam laughed as they crossed the street together. They continued their walk for two more blocks before finally reaching Justin's parked car. They hopped inside of the black Cadillac EXT. The ride to Melrose was full of mindless chatter and Cameron continued her new conversation with Stacey, which consisted of giggle and an 'Oh my god' every now and then.

Justin was more than happy to pull up to the Starbucks parking lot. He couldn't stand to hear another one of Adam's jokes making Alonsha laugh that contagious cackle of hers.

Don't get him wrong. He wasn't jealous or anything. It was just weird. . . He guessed this is why people never mean it when they say Maybe we can be friends? after a breakup.

"Justin. . .Justin?" He shook his head from his thoughts when her voice entered his mind, "What do you want?" Justin smiled sheepishly as he stared up at the menu board.

"Uh. . . get me a Sumatra. Two sugars, please." Alonsha nodded.

"Alright, you go sit with Cameron and Adam," she informed him, "I'll bring the drinks."

"No, I'll stay with you," Justin answered quickly, "I don't want you carrying all that stuff." Alonsha laughed lightly as they took a step forward when the line shifted.

"Adam told me the same thing," she told him, "But I'm too tired to argue with you, so stay if you want." He smiled at her and smugly held his head up high.

"So, you and Adam seem really happy today," Justin began, "Very. . . lovey dovey." Alonsha shrugged and smiled shyly.

"So?" she asked, "Are you implying something?" Justin shrugged and absentmindedly examined his nails.

"No, I'm just saying. . ." He trailed off as they stepped up to the counter. Alonsha made the orders and Justin payed for them.

"You're just saying what?" Alonsha asked after they got their drinks and headed back to the table. Justin shrugged evasively and smirked.

"I'll never tell. . ." he teased. Alonsha rolled her eyes and smiled. She gave out each drink, purposely giving Justin his cup last. They decided not to stay, in fear of being mobbed, so they headed back to the truck. They all packed inside of the vehicle and drove off.


-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-


Well, it turns out Justin and Adam share another passion: sneakers. I swear, if somebody mentions another kind of Nike shoe, I'm going to scream. So far, they've tried on about forty different pairs each, sometimes swapping them to save time. Cameron was still talking on her cell phone, but this time to her mother, and I was left walking around this Sneakervilla all by myself. It's cool though. They actually shut down the store so that Justin could shop by himself since we were being followed and interrupted by so many fans. I personally didn't mind it, but Justin was quite annoyed. Cameron seemed to become an ice queen the moment someone asked for a picture, glaring at them and walking off. She sure was feisty.

"Alonsha, look at these." I silently screamed when I heard Justin's excited voice. This is the millionth time I've been called to look at his fabulous selection of sneakers before he asked me what my favorite pairs are.

"They're great," I said, barely looking down at his foot, "They're all great." Justin shoots me an annoyed glare and sticks out his bottom lip.

"You're not even looking!" he whines softly, "Last time I ask your opinion on something."

"Thank goodness!" I counter with a sigh of relief. He grins at me sarcastically before looking down at his sneakers with a huff.

"I like these, but I can't remember if I already have them. . ." He pauses and thinks for a moment. I watch as he narrows his eyes in thought and bites his bottom lip. He looks so cute like that. Especially since he trimmed that rug on his face for a recent award show. I can't remember which one it was, but that's besides the point. . .

"Are you guys done yet?" I asked, "I'm starting to despise sneakers." Justin and Adam gasp dramatically.

"That's blasphemy!" Adam screeches.

"Alonsha!" Justin whispers harshly, "They can hear you!" He picks up a sneaker and begins to pet it gently, "She didn't mean it." I'm a tad bit worried by their behavior, but can't help but laugh as they begin to rock their shoes to sleep.

"Ya'll are a bunch of weirdos," I complain playfully, "I can't believe I'm associated with either one of you." They both chuckle and put down their shoes.

"Sorry," Justin apologizes, "We're done." They began to pack up the pile of sneakers, only to be assisted by the workers.

"Did you find something you liked?" A brunette asked cheerfully. Justin thinks for a moment.

"I'll take those, and those, and these right here. . ." He points rapidly and the workers begin to gather every pair, "And whatever they want."

"It's cool, man," Adam declines, "I got it." He begins to dig into his wallet, but Justin takes the sneakers from his hands.

"Really, Adam," Justin insisted, "It's no big deal," He turns to me and smiles, "What do you want?" I shrug and yawn.

"I want more coffee." He laughs and nods.

"Okay, this is it then," He hands the box to another assistant, "Thank you." We make our way over to the counter to pay for the sneakers. I sit on a bench in the store and wait patiently. Adam strolls over toward me and takes a seat.

"Justin's pretty cool," he comments, "I thought he hated me, but he keeps offering to buy me stuff."

"He never hated you, Adam," I assured, "Justin just acts defensively around people he doesn't know that well. But he likes you." Adam smiles and nods before placing his hand on my knee.

"Thank goodness," Adam laughed, "He could probably kick my ass." I laughed and shook my head.

"Well, it would be sort of fair," I said, "You guys are around the same size."

"Yeah, minus the six-pack and the body guards." I leaned over and rested my head on his shoulder.

"I wouldn't let him hurt you, Adam," I told him, "I could kick his ass for you."

"Just what I need," Adam breathed sarcastically, "My girlfriend fighting for me."

"What's wrong with that?" I smile.

"Besides everything?" Adam said, "Gee, I don't know!" I laughed and stood as I saw Justin coming toward us. He looks around for Cameron again and gets an irritated look across his face the moment he sees her cell phone on her ear. I don't blame him. They only had about fifteen minutes of cell-free conversation all day.

"Jesus Christ. . ." Justin mumbled beneath his breath as he rolled his eyes, "Cam, we're leaving!" Cameron gave him a nod of acknowledgment and started to walk toward us.

"So, where to next?" I asked happily. Justin shrugged and yawned.

"I think I'm going to go home," He sighed, "Cam has a meeting for this Trippin' show she's been working on in an hour, so I don't want her to be late." I nodded and pouted.

"Yeah, Adam has to be at work soon too." Adam looked down at his watch and his eyes widened.

"Oh shit, I totally forgot!" He pulled out his cell phone and quickly dialed a number, rocking back and forth on his heels, "I'm on my way, Mike. I lost track of time." I feel somewhat bad about this. He just started working his second job as a waiter at this café near Rodeo Drive, and he's going to be late because of this shopping trip.

"You can go ahead," Justin said after Adam ended his conversation, "Take the car." To my surprise, he hands his keys to Adam.

"What?" Adam asked, "You're letting me drive?" Justin chuckled.

"Hell no," He grinned, "I called Lonnie a few minutes ago because of the mob growing outside, he's waiting."

"But what about you?" Adam asked, "They're waiting for you, ya know?" Justin shrugged as Cameron finally reached our group.

"Back door, my man," he informed him confidently, "That's why I love coming here, they always give me a way out."

"What are you talking about?" Cameron asked, "Way out of what?"

"You're going with Adam," Justin told her, "Lonnie's gonna drop him off at work and then take you to your meeting with the MTV people."

"But what about you and Alonsha?" Her tone is somewhat worried and I can't figure out why.

"We're covered," Justin said cooly. Cameron looks at him before glancing at me and back at him again. She stands there for a moment before nodding.

"Alright," she said, "I'll see you later." Justin leans down to place a kiss on her lips and they share a brief hug. Adam and I do the same before him and Cameron begin to walk off toward the front exit. As soon as the doors swing open, I can see the immense amount of flashes go off.

"Let's go." Justin said hurriedly as we were guided to a back exit by another employee. Justin hands me the bag with Adam's sneakers and we briskly walk through the steel door. To my amazement, Justin's Mercedes is waiting for us in the ally. I felt like I was in some Hollywood spy movie with all these secret exits and waiting cars.

"So, where are we going?" I asked Justin as we settled inside of the car. He shrugs and starts up the vehicle.

"You wanna hang out at my place?" I shrugged and looked out the window as the paparazzi ran along the side the car when we drove out into the street.

"Whatever you want to do, I'm up for it." He nods and reaches up to turn on the radio. He flipped through every channel before settling on a commercial for Durex condoms. I never really understood those things. Sex with or without a Durex condom? It's not about the protection. It’s about your performance. . .

"These things are so stupid," Justin complained, "If you're bad in bed, no condom is gonna help you." He laughs and I giggle.

"I was thinking something along those lines." He glances over at me before turning back to the road.

"Your mind is always thinking something along those lines," he accused jokingly, "You're a freak." I laughed and rolled my eyes.

"You should talk," I told him, "You're the freak of all freaks." He smiles smugly and shrugs.

"I try." His cockiness causes me to roll my eyes again and I realized that I stepped back into that habit ever since I came back.

"Today was fun," I comment, "I had a good time with you and Cameron." Justin snorts.

"How could you have fun with Cameron?" he asked, "She was too busy on her cell phone."

"Well, it was fun hanging with you then," I said. He gives me a weak smile and taps his finger tips against the steering wheel when we stop at a red light.

"Sorry for being crabby," he apologizes, "It's just that Cam wanted ya'll to come along and she just ignored you the whole time." I waved him off and smiled.

"She was just catching up with old friends. I can't blame her."

"She was actually chatting up with one of her close girlfriends that lives about two minutes from her house, and who she was going to see at her meeting today," Justin informed me, "But thanks for being so understanding." I don't know whether to laugh or not, so I decide to just sit back and allow the radio to provide some sort of entertainment for the rest of the drive.



-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-


Out of all the things they could be doing, they settled for Scattergories. It was Alonsha's idea, of course. Justin had pouted and pleaded for another game, but she would reciprocate with a whine. He finally gave in reluctantly, but was now enjoying this. Alonsha got really worked up when they were playing, claiming Justin was cheating by making up words like 'Red-skinned lizard'.

"Okay, you cannot use 'reptiles' for a 'r' word reptile." Justin shrugged and smiled.

"Says who?" Alonsha narrowed her eyes at him and he raised a challenging brow.

"It's against the rules," she complained.

"Show me where it says that, and I'll believe you." Alonsha huffed and crossed her arms over her chest.

"I don't want to play anymore." Justin laughed at her childish behavior and poked her side.

"Fine, but I'm starving." She looked over at him and stood up quickly.

"I'll make us something," she offered, "What do you have in your fridge?" Justin stood and followed her into the kitchen, his eyes stealing peaks at her curvy form as she sashayed into his kitchen.

"Um. . . a lot?" He laughed, "My mom did some shopping earlier this week and I've been eating out for about a week now." Alonsha nodded and began to shuffle through his fridge and cabinets, pulling out miscellaneous things as she moved around.

"You wanna help?" Alonsha asked, looking over her shoulder to glance at him. Justin smiled and shrugged.

"Sure," he said, "What do I have to do?" Alonsha paused and looked around.

"You can cut up those limes and squeeze the juice into this bowl." She grabbed a large, plastic bowl out of one of his cabinets and placed it on the counter in front of him.

"Okay, simple enough." Justin began to slice the limes in half and squeezed the juices inside the bowl. Mean while, Alonsha had taken out some whiting fillets and began to rinse them off. Justin watched her work her cooking magic when he finished his small task. She hadn't even noticed that he had taken a seat to the side, she was too preoccupied with the meal she was preparing.

Cameron didn't cook. Justin had come to the conclusion that she didn't know how and had accepted this. But now that Alonsha was scurrying about the kitchen, frying fish and making rice, his body ached for the home cooking he hand been missing. She was so fast, but careful in her preparations and the scent of various spices entered Justin's nose and woke up his senses.

Hanging out with her today had its awkward moments, but it was fun nonetheless. Plus, their intense game of Scattergories had brought back memories of their childish competitions and races around their houses. He missed their childish antics, and their playful teasing. He missed her in general and couldn't imagine not having her in his life.

"What?" Alonsha's voice broke into his thoughts and he looked up in time to see her hovering above him, a plate with all the fixings balancing in her small hands.

"Nothing," he answered, "I was just thinking." Alonsha gave him a weird look before smiling.

"I hope you were thinking about taking this plate because it's really hot." Justin chuckled and apologized for his lack of awareness. He took the plate from her hands, not failing to notice the brief caress of her skin against his. He could still feel a tingling on the small spot when she turned away from him to retrieve another plate from the stove top. Her skin was as soft as he remembered.

He missed that too.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story