Chapter Ten

(Friday, November 29th, one month later.)

Shannon sighed and rested her head on her worktable. She had been hard at work for hours on the costumes for her and Joey’s final project for Musical Theatre class. The costumes were coming along nicely, but she was getting frustrated - her eyes hurt, her back hurt, and her fingers hurt from all the beading she had been doing. She’d had the apartment to herself all afternoon, as Justin had taken Meaghan out to dinner. Stretching, Shannon stood up from her table and glanced at her watch. Joey had promised he’d call her as soon as the production meeting for the new tour was over, and they were due to go out to a new club with Justin, Meaghan, Bridget and Chris at seven.

“Oh no! It can’t be six thirty already!” Shannon stared at her watch in disbelief and turned to check her alarm clock. The bright red numbers read 6:31. “Great, just great!”

She rushed around her bedroom, tore through her closet and dresser, and hurriedly made her way to her bathroom. She pulled out the ironing board and pinched her finger hard just as the doorbell rang.

“Ow! Damn it, hang on!” Shannon yelled toward the door, tears rolling down her face. She yanked the door open to reveal Joey.

“Baby, what’s the matter? Why aren’t you dressed yet?” Joey asked her, a look of concern on his face.

“You were supposed to call me!” Shannon cried, her chin trembling.

“I know, love, and I’m sorry. The meeting ran long, and …” Joey stopped when he noticed Shannon was now crying. “Shan, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing! Except for the fact I lost track of time while working on these damn costumes, my back hurts, my finger hurts, and … and …” Shannon stopped to catch her breath and sobbed, and Joey pulled her into his arms.

“Shhh, sweetie, it’s okay.” He soothed.

“No it’s not! I’m not even ready, I look awful, and we’re going to be late,” Shannon sobbed.

“Don’t worry about that. I’ll call Justin and Chris, and tell them we’ll be a little late. You go and get a shower and take your time. Now let me look at that finger,” Joey took her hand and kissed her pinched finger.

Shannon drew a shaky breath, trying to calm down.

“Okay, are you sure they won’t be mad we’re late?” Shannon wiped the last of her tears away and started the shower.

“Nah, JC is late nine times out of ten, so I think the guys will forgive me this once.” Joey smiled and kissed her softly. “If I wasn’t all ready, I’d join you in that shower, but …”

“Nice try, Fatone.” Shannon laughed. “I know how long it takes you to get your hair just right, we’d be here all night!” She shrieked and ran for the bathroom as Joey chased her away.

**********

“Hurry up, Chris! We’re going to be late if you don’t get a move on!” Bridget hollered up the stairs.

Chris looked at his watch and swore. “Damn it, I’ll be right there!” Chris ran his fingers through his short, dark hair. “Guess that’s as good as it’s gonna get.” He grabbed his wallet and ran down the stairs where Bridget was waiting expectantly at the bottom.

“Done primping?” Bridget teased him.

“Very funny. I don’t primp,” Chris made a face at her. “Let’s go.” He opened the front door just as JC had raised his hand to knock.

“Oh! Hi, JC, what are you doing here?” Bridget asked, surprised.

JC took one look at how dressed up she and Chris were and sighed. “I was just in the neighborhood, but I see you’re going out. I’ll just go see what Justin’s up to,” JC said forlornly. Bridget and Chris exchanged looks, both coming to the same conclusion.

“Hey, C? Why don’t you come out with us? We’re meeting Justin and Meaghan at that new club downtown.” Chris suggested. He didn’t have the heart to tell JC it would be just couples, but ever since Natalie had broken up with him, JC had been so down, someone needed to get him out and having fun again.

“Are you sure?” JC asked, looking somewhat interested.

“Positive, you need to get out and have some fun.”

**********

“Guys, I’m really getting worried about JC - all he does since Natalie left him is sit at home and mope. So, I do the nice thing and invite him out - and he sits at the bar and mopes.” Chris said in frustration. He looked around at the others, gathered around a small bar table.

“Anyone else have any bright ideas?”

“Well, Chris - it’s only been a month, it’s going to take him awhile.” Bridget said sympathetically.

“Has anyone called Natalie? Is there any chance of them getting back together?” Shannon wondered.

“Tried that - no way. She’s through with him, I called her last week.” Justin answered, shaking his head. Meaghan cast her gaze back towards the sad figure of JC, nursing a beer at the main bar, when one of the bartenders caught her eye.

“Hey, Shan? Does that bartender look familiar to you?” Meaghan pointed her out to Shannon.

“Hey … isn’t that Amber Kelly, she was in our history class senior year, right?” Shannon and Meaghan looked at each other, the same idea formulating in both of their minds.

“Uh-oh. Joey - I hate it when they both get that look,” Justin stage whispered to Joey.

“We’re going to go get some drinks - we’ll be right back,” Meaghan smiled innocently, pulling Shannon with her. The pair made their way through the crowded club  to the main bar, waving to JC as Meaghan maneuvered in beside him, and quickly caught the attention of her old friend.

“Hey! I haven’t seen you in ages! Meaghan, right?” Amber smiled. “How have you been?”

“Great! Do you remember Shannon?” Meaghan pulled her up to the bar. Amber nodded and waved to her in greeting.

“Wow, it’s been so long since I’ve seen you guys! How long have you been in Orlando?” Amber conversed in-between drink orders.

“We’ve been here about a month, when did you move down here?” Shannon asked.

“Almost a year ago - small world, huh?” Amber grinned. She moved her gaze to JC, who had motioned for another beer. “I’ll be right back, don’t go anywhere!” JC watched the girl move away, and turned to Meaghan and Shannon.

“Is there anyone you guys don’t know?” He smiled his first real smile of the night.

"Whoa, watch it, Jace. Another smile like that and people might actually think you’re enjoying yourself,” Shannon teased.

“Funny, Shan.” JC grinned. “So how do you guys know her?”

“She went to high school with us - do you want to meet her?” Meaghan asked JC point blank. As usual, JC was a bit taken aback by Meaghan’s blunt demeanor, but he smiled.

“Sure, she seems pretty - I mean, nice.” JC stammered. As soon as Amber made her way back towards them, Meaghan introduced her to JC.

“Hey, Amber - I want you to meet a friend of mine. JC Chasez, meet Amber Kelly.  Amber, JC.”

She and Meaghan discretely made their way back to the table, allowing JC and Amber to talk in private.

“Hi JC, nice to meet you.” Amber smiled, and JC couldn’t help but notice how beautiful her eyes were - hazel blue - that twinkled when she smiled.

“Nice to meet you, too.  I'm sorry about that,” JC blushed, motioning towards where Meaghan and Shannon had been.  "They're just trying to cheer me up."

“It’s okay, no worries.” Amber drew a deep breath - she was really attracted to this guy, more so than she had ever been attracted to anyone before. The first thing she had noticed about him was his eyes, the bright blue of them, though she noticed the sadness in them, too.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: tour jc justin joey chris college lance