Chapter Eleven

(Friday, November 29th, later that night)

“So, what happened today at the production meeting? Anything exciting?” Bridget asked the group an hour later.

“Actually, there were a few interesting developments,” Joey smiled, looking at Shannon.

“What? Why are you looking at me like that?” Shannon looked around at the guys, who all had expectant grins on their faces.

Joey pulled a large packet of papers out of his jacket and handed them to her. “I think this will explain."

Shannon opened the packet and quickly skimmed over the top page. “I don’t understand. This is a contract for the wardrobe for your spring tour … with my name on it.”

“See, I borrowed one of your portfolios last week, and I showed them to Johnny. He loved them, and he wants you to design the costumes for the tour - and come on the tour with us as our wardrobe person.” Joey explained.

“It gets better,” Justin interjected. “Meaghan will be coming too, she’s going to handle the marketing end of our wardrobe.” Shannon stared at her best friend in disbelief.

“How long have you known about this?” She managed to squeak out.

“About a week, and I’ve been bursting to tell you, but it wasn’t final until today,” Meaghan grinned. “So what do you think?”

“I think I’m going to kill you guys for not telling me!” Shannon shrieked, jumping up and down.

“You’re going to accept, right?” Joey asked excitedly.

“Oh my god, of course I’m going to accept! Thank you!” Shannon wrapped her arms around Joey’s neck and kissed him fully on the lips.

“I helped too!” Chris piped up. Bridget elbowed him in the ribs. “What?”

“Behave,” Bridget warned him, not liking the sudden wave of jealousy she felt come over her. She brushed it aside, trying to forget it. “So when does the tour start?”

“January fourth. We’ll be on the road until May, and we’ve got a few breaks in-between, but for any other details, you’ll have to ask Lance.” Justin answered.

“Speak of the devil,” Meaghan pointed out Lance making his way across the crowded dance floor.

“Hey guys, sorry I’m late - did you tell her yet?”  Lance asked as he joined them.

“Yes, thank you so much!” Shannon jumped up to hug him.

“Your designs are amazing, I have a great feeling we’ll be thanking you,” Lance said honestly, hugging her back.

“Hey! I helped too!” Chris whined. “Where’s my hug?”

“If I hug you, Chris, will you quit whining?” Shannon laughed, hugging him.

“That’ll appease me for a little while,” Chris grinned.

****************

(Monday, December 8th - One week later, WEG Compound.)

Shannon and Meaghan sat surrounded by sketches, paperwork, bolts of fabric, and swatches in one of the wardrobe rooms at the Wright Entertainment Group compound, quickly going over last minute adjustments before their meeting with Johnny Wright and *N SYNC began. It had been a busy week for the pair, Shannon had been busy making tons of sketches and mapping out ideas for each section of the show, while Meaghan had called around for prices on fabrics and supplies and worked out a final cost and budget analysis for the wardrobe. Now they just had the meeting with Johnny to finalize the contract and budget, get input from the guys on the sketches, and then take their measurements. Meaghan looked up from the papers she was double-checking when she heard Lance come in the room, followed loudly by Chris and Justin.

“Hey guys, could you be a little louder? I don’t think the neighbor down the street heard you come in,” Meaghan commented, rolling her eyes.

“Sorry,” Chris apologized sheepishly. “Cool - are those the sketches?” He reached out for the stack of drawings only to have his hand smacked away by Shannon.

“Hey now, no peeking until the meeting starts.” Shannon grinned. “I haven’t let Joey see them yet - you think I’m going to give you a sneak peek?”

Lance and Chris gave her their most pathetic faces. “Please?”

“Nice try, guys, but … NO.” Shannon said firmly.

“It won’t work, guys - trust me. I begged Meaghan last night for two hours, I even gave her the ‘sad puppy face’ that no one can resist.” Justin explained.

“Did it work?” Chris wondered.

“Nope.” Justin sighed, bending down to kiss Meaghan on the cheek. “Meaghan is apparently immune to the sad puppy face.”

"Never has worked, never will.” Meaghan smiled up at her boyfriend smugly.

An hour later, all the particulars had been figured out, the budget had been set, the order of the show had been finalized, and everyone had approved of Shannon’s sketches.

“Alright then, I’m all done. Do you girls have any questions?” Johnny asked Shannon and Meaghan.

“No sir, I’m just very ready to get everything started,” Shannon smiled broadly.

“Okay, I’ll let you get started then. Welcome to the team,” Johnny smiled at the girls and left the room. The five guys turned to Shannon and Meaghan expectantly. “So what now?” JC wondered.

“Measurements,” Shannon and Meaghan said in unison.

“Who’s first?” Meaghan asked, grabbing a notebook, while Shannon pulled a tape measure out of her bag. Joey offered himself up to be first, and the other guys followed in quick succession, as Shannon measured and called out the numbers to Meaghan. Shannon did notice a look of discomfort on Joey’s face as she measured the others - especially when she was taking their hip and inseam measurements.

"Guys, why don’t you take a quick break - quit pouting, Chris - you’re next.” She walked over to her boyfriend, who had a slight scowl on his face. “Joey?  Is something wrong?”

“No … I’m just being immature.” Joey shook his head.

“Care to explain?” Shannon leaned back against the table. Joey took a deep breath and looked her straight in the eye.

“It’s just … I don’t know … just seeing you with the other guys …”

“Whoa, whoa, wait a minute - are you kidding me?” Shannon stared at her boyfriend in disbelief. “You’re jealous of me measuring your best friends?”

Joey looked at her sheepishly. “I guess it is kind of stupid,” he admitted.

“Kind of?” She raised her eyebrow at him.

“Okay, so it’s really stupid.” Joey laughed. “Come on, hurry up and measure Chris so I can show you how sorry I am.” He wiggled his eyebrows playfully at Shannon, causing her to giggle.

As Shannon was finishing up with Chris, Johnny re-entered the room with a pretty petite girl behind him.

“How goes the measuring?” Johnny asked.

“Great, I’m all done now.” Shannon grinned.

“Hey, who’s this?” Meaghan asked curiously, smiling at the girl.

“Okay, everyone - I’d like you to meet Marki Hooper, she’s going to be joining the tour as JC’s new PA.” Johnny explained. Everyone looked around with surprise, most of all JC.

“I didn’t know I was getting a new PA,” JC said coolly, looking directly at Johnny.

“Well, JC - I decided you needed someone to replace Laurie, after everything that happened.” Johnny said calmly.

“I just would have appreciated being included in the decision, that’s all.” JC sighed. “Hi, Marki, I’m JC Chasez, it’s nice to meet you.”

Marki looked around at her surroundings, smiling nervously. “Hi, JC. I’m really glad to meet you.”

“Hi, Marki, I’m Shannon McFadden, the costume designer,” Shannon introduced herself. “I’m glad there’ll be another girl on the tour with me and Meaghan.” Marki relaxed visibly, smiling a genuine smile this time. The others introduced themselves, lastly came Lance, who couldn’t take his eyes off of Marki. He looked over her dark wavy hair, her sweet hazel eyes and soft smile - and he was hooked.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: tour jc justin joey chris college lance