Chapter Thirteen

(Saturday, December 13th - one week later)

Meaghan pulled her shoulder-length blonde hair back in a headband and took a final glance in the mirror. She and Amber had plans to finish their Christmas shopping, have dinner, and then they were planning to meet up with JC and Justin for a movie. Meaghan had hoped Justin would join them for dinner, but he insisted he had made plans with his mother to go Christmas shopping. Meaghan knocked quietly on Shannon’s door. At the noise, Shannon looked up from the pair of pants she was hemming.

“Hey, are you sure you don’t want to come to dinner with Amber and I? The guys aren’t going to be there, it would just be us girls.” Meaghan suggested, looking hopefully at her.

“Thanks, but I really should get these pants done. I can’t hardly believe the tour starts in less than two weeks … I don’t know how I’m going to get this all done.” Shannon sighed, pushing a few stray strands of her auburn hair out of her face. She sat on her bed, surrounded by at least a dozen costumes, her hair messily pulled back into a ponytail.

“You’ll get it done, I know you will. I’ll help you finish with the opening costumes tomorrow, I promise.” Meaghan smiled and glanced at her watch. “Well, I’d better get going, I guess I’ll see you later tonight - I might be spending the night with Justin, though.”

“That’s cool. I’ll see you later, Meg. Tell Amber I said hi.” Shannon replied, going back to her hemming.

*********

A few hours later, Meaghan and Amber had finished their shopping, and were now laden down with bags and starving. They decided to have dinner at The Cheesecake Factory and as the waitress led them towards a table in the back, Amber was surprised when she felt Meaghan grip her arm tightly.

“Ow, Meaghan! What the hell …” Amber cut herself off when she saw the look on Meaghan’s face. “Meaghan, what’s wrong?”

Meaghan couldn’t believe it. “Christmas shopping with his mom …” Meaghan muttered to herself. There in a corner booth sat Justin and Shannon, their heads together as they whispered to each other and giggled. Her heart froze, the green-eyed monster of jealousy rearing its ugly head. Meaghan couldn’t help but think of all the “friends” who had stabbed her in the back before. Friends who had heartlessly moved in on her boyfriends and taken them, leaving her heartbroken. She stopped and shook herself firmly.  Stop it, she told herself. They’re just two friends having a conversation.

“I thought Justin was shopping with his mom tonight?” Amber questioned.

“That’s what he said,” Meaghan replied dejectedly.

“What a sweetheart - I bet he’s getting Shannon to help him plan something for you for Christmas,” Amber smiled. “I know JC said he’s been planning something.”

Meaghan took a deep breath of relief. “Really?”

“Yeah, I guess he just needed some help - and who better than your best friend?”

*********

(Thursday, December 18th, a few days later.)

Meaghan closed her eyes and willed the tears back. She opened her eyes long enough to look at the Caller ID once more.

Shannon McFadden/Meaghan Fraser
555-0582


It was there in plain black and white, and she could  hear Justin still talking with Shannon on the extension she had picked up, thinking Justin hadn’t answered the phone yet.

“Are you absolutely certain Meaghan has no idea?” Shannon questioned Justin.

“I’m sure, Shan. Besides, she’d kill me if she knew about this.” Justin answered.

 “Don’t you know what she’d do to me? We’ve been best friends for six years!” Shannon exclaimed.

“You’re not having second thoughts, are you?” Justin sounded worried.

 “No … I’m just not sure that … damn! Joey’s here, I gotta go, Justin. I’ll meet you tomorrow at the normal place.”

Meaghan hung up her extension with a heavy heart. Her worst fears were becoming reality. Justin had seemed so distant lately, making excuses and going out more than he usually did. Her suspicions had been roused when she first saw Shannon and Justin at the restaurant, but she had noticed more weird behavior and odd occurrences. Like the fact that her number was showing up on Justin’s Caller ID when she hadn’t called or even been home. Shannon had been acting strangely as well, keeping to herself at home and shutting herself up in her bedroom - to work on costumes, she said, but Meaghan knew it was because she was hiding something. And now she knew it was true … her boyfriend was cheating on her … with her best friend.

*********

Justin knocked on the apartment door, which was quickly answered by Shannon.

“Hey Justin, come on in.” Shannon smiled at him. “I’ve got it all ready, it’s in my room.”

“Cool, let me see it!” Justin hopped up and down impatiently, causing Shannon to laugh.

“It’s not going anywhere, calm down!” She led the way into her room, pulling a large box out from under her bed. She set the box down on the bed, opened the lid and peeled away a layer of tissue paper.

“Wow … Shan, it’s perfect.” Justin breathed. His eyes fell on a dress of the softest blue satin with an overlay of chiffon in the same color.  Delicate straps made of tiny rhinestones crisscrossed in the back, and the material shimmered in the light that streamed in from the window.

“So, it’s just like you thought it would be?” Shannon asked, holding the dress up so that the hem fell to the floor. “Granted, Meaghan’s taller than me, so it won’t touch the floor …”

“I know. It’s better than I could ever imagine. She’s going to look beautiful in it.” Justin smiled at the thought. “I wish Valentine’s Day would hurry up and get here!”

“Justin, it’s still two months away, and you still have a lot of planning to do - relax.” Shannon laughed.

Justin had been planning the perfect Valentine’s Day surprise for Meaghan for almost as long as he had known her. Not knowing just what to do, he had asked Shannon to help him, but she had mostly just listened. Justin had planned every detail, helping Shannon design the dress, reserving an intimate dining room at a local bed and breakfast - he had even planned what the dinner would be. Meaghan had no idea … as far as he and Shannon knew. It was getting harder and harder for Shannon to keep the surprise a secret - she wanted Meaghan to know just how sweet and caring Justin really was, and she was just itching to see the dress on Meaghan. She gently folded the dress back up and replaced it in its box, putting it back under the bed.

“I had another idea for the dinner,” Justin told Shannon, his blue eyes shining with excitement.

"And what’s that?” Shannon grinned, knowing he was just bursting to share.

“This …” Justin replied, pulling a small box from his jacket pocket.

Shannon opened the box to reveal a beautifully made diamond ring, set with three princess cut diamonds in a platinum band.

“Oh … wow … Justin, are you sure?” Shannon looked at the younger man questioningly. She could see the love he felt for Meaghan radiating from his eyes.

“I’m sure, Shan. I love her … and I don’t want her to get away. This is what I want, I want Meaghan to be my wife … and I’m asking her on Valentine’s Day.”



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: tour jc justin joey chris college lance