Chapter Eighteen

(Monday, January 5th - WEG Compound - The Start of the New Tour.)

7:30 a.m.

The scene at the Wright Entertainment Group compound was much the same as the beginning of *N SYNC’s previous three tours - the only difference this time was the palpable cloud of tension that had come over the group. The tour buses were lined up in the driveway where Lonnie stood beside the head bus, handing out copies of the rider to everyone as they arrived.

Shannon pulled her silver Mustang convertible into a space between Chris’s cherry red PT Cruiser and Meaghan’s dark blue 4Runner, the sight of which made her sigh. The shit around her was so deep, she felt she should be wearing hip-waders. She rested her head on her steering wheel as she braced herself for the day ahead, her thoughts racing through her mind. The past few days Meaghan had stomped around their apartment in stormy silence, Joey hadn’t called her in four days, and Justin and Chris wouldn’t stop calling her for advice - the latter only giving Meaghan and Joey more reason not to talk to her. Taking a deep breath, Shannon got out of the car, gathered up her bags and headed towards Lonnie. She felt strong hands take hold of the heaviest two duffels, and she was never more glad to be wearing sunglasses as she turned and looked into Lance’s light green eyes. JC and Lance had been calling her all week trying to piece together what had happened New Year’s Eve, but she had been successful in avoiding them thus far. But once Lance looked at her with those eyes that saw everything - even those things left unsaid - her strong façade crumbled.

“Hey stranger,” Lance smiled softly, placing her bags on the ground by one of the buses, grabbing a copy of the rider from Lonnie.

“Hey Lance,” Shannon’s smile trembled as tears came to her eyes. “I’m sorry I didn’t call you … I - ”

“It’s not a problem. Jace and I were just worried about you.” He led her over to a bench and sat down, patting the seat beside him. Shannon sighed as she sat down, fighting to keep her emotions in check.

“I know, and thank you.” She nervously ran her hands over her hair that was pulled back in a ponytail. “So … uh …”

“Joey’s not here yet. That is what you were going to ask, wasn’t it?”

Shannon just stared at him unable to answer; the knot in her throat was too large. Lance scooted closer and put his arm around her shoulders. “Shan, I know you’re hurting, and I know that you know you fucked up - but Joey wasn’t innocent either, so don’t think he’s not battling his own demons. The last four days here have been hell, PURE hell. Chris and Joey aren’t talking to each other, Joey and Justin aren’t talking to each other, and Chris and Justin aren’t talking to each other - which basically leaves me and JC to carry on any and all ‘group’ conversations.” Lance took a deep breath before he continued. “I’m not entirely sure what  happened at Justin’s New Year’s Eve …”

“Neither am I,” Shannon whispered, her emerald eyes brimming with tears. “God, Lance - I’ve ruined *N SYNC.” The guilt she had been carrying finally became too much for her to handle and her strong resolve finally broke as the tears freely cascaded down her cheeks. “I’ve destroyed *N SYNC!”

Lance pulled her against his chest as she sobbed, smoothing her hair and rocking her gently. Marki quietly came up behind him and touched his shoulder to let him know she was there. She didn’t know Shannon very well, and she was still getting to know *N SYNC as men and not just as *N SYNC, but it broke Marki’s heart to see two couples who were obviously so much in love break apart - and all because of careless mistakes. Lance smiled at Marki reassuringly, shushing Shannon gently as her sobs subsided. Shannon clung to Lance as her breathing returned to normal and her tears stopped flowing.

“Do you feel better?” Lance asked her softly, brushing her hair back and lightly kissing her forehead.

“A little,” Shannon sighed, pulling away from him. “Oh god … Lance, I’m so sorry, I got your shirt all wet.”

Lance chuckled. “It’s okay, it’ll dry. I’m more worried about you.”

“Don’t be. I’ll be fine, I’m just worried about the group.” Shannon shook her head sadly. “It’s my fault three of your best friends aren’t talking to each other - ”

“And just how are you responsible for Justin and Joey not talking? If I recall Meaghan and Bridget had a hand in that one.” Lance cut her off, giving her a look of reproach.

“Okay … well then it’s my fault two of your best friends aren’t talking to each other. Joey and I have hurt each other so badly, I don’t know if we can ever repair it. Neither one of us can take back what we’ve done and …” Shannon’s voice caught in her throat as she noticed Joey’s black Escalade SUV parked next to Lance’s dark green 4Runner.

********

Joey maneuvered his SUV into a space next to Lance’s 4Runner, his heart heavy - an unusual feeling for him at the start of a new tour. Usually he was one of the first to arrive at Johnny’s, excited and anxious to get on the road and start the tour, but the events of the past few days had left him empty and torn. Rehearsals had been tense, tense being a severe understatement. It broke his heart to know Justin’s heart was breaking, and it hurt him more that every time he looked at Chris, all he could think of was that he had slept with Shannon. His heart beat faster thinking of her, and he wondered if she was there yet. He felt like such an ass, he hadn’t bothered to call her in four days.

Joey noticed her car as he unloaded his bags from the back, glad she wasn't in sight as he was in no way ready to face her.

Joey dropped his bags on the ground next to one of the main buses, stopping for a moment to chat with Lonnie and look over the rider for the tour, attached to which was a list of the bus assignments. His heart nearly froze when he noticed that the assignments hadn’t changed from the last tour - he was sharing a bus with Justin and Chris - but not only that … Shannon and Meaghan were on the same bus. He was still staring at the rider in disbelief when JC came up beside him.

“Hey Joe - what’s up?” JC smiled at his best friend.

“Uh … Jace … who decided on the bus assignments?” Joey wondered, his hazel eyes becoming stormy.

“We all did - remember? Oh that’s right … you, Chris, and Justin were too busy being asses so Lance and I had to decide for you.” JC’s eyes glittered with the anger he was fighting to keep under control.

“What the fuck, Josh? So you and Lance decide to have a little fun and put me on the bus with Justin and Chris, not to mention both Shannon and Meaghan? Is this some kind of joke?” Joey rounded on him ferociously.

“Do I look like I’m laughing?” JC wasn’t backing down.

“God damn it, Josh, this isn’t any of your business!” Joey punched the side of the bus in anger, his hazel eyes blazing. JC’s anger came to a head and he shoved Joey against the bus, pinning him there with his body.

“The fuck it isn’t my business!” JC seethed, his face inches from Joey’s. “You three are tearing apart the whole group, something we’ve all worked too damn hard for to throw away. I know Chris fucked up, hell - you fucked up too - but is it worth losing what we’ve earned, what we’ve busted our asses for?”

“Fuck you, JC.” Joey struggled against his best friend. “You have no right to - ”

"Damn it, Joey, why can’t you look past your selfish  pride and look at the bigger picture here?” JC pulled away, running his hands through his hair in frustration. “Is this really worth losing *N SYNC? Is she really worth it?”

“Don’t. Talk. About. Her.” Joey spat out.

“I’m sorry, Joe, really - ”

“Of course she’s worth it.” Joey’s eyes lost some of their fierceness. “I love her.”

“I know you do, buddy.” JC’s voice softened, and he put his arm around his best friend.

“God, JC … what am I going to do? I miss her so much, but every time I think of her, every time I see Chris … all I can think about is them together.” Joey’s voice broke, and he wiped at his eyes furiously, trying to hide the tears.

“I know,” JC swallowed guiltily, memories of his indiscretions with Laurie coming back to him. He was still nervous about working with Steve on the tour, even though all had been forgiven and they were friends again. JC thought of his recent conversations with Natalie and smiled. Though strained, there was some real progress there, progress that could be headed towards a relationship again. She had agreed to come see him once she wrapped up a large project at work, and he couldn't wait. He heard Joey clearing his throat and broke away from his thoughts.

“So … do you think this is fixable?” Joey looked at JC with hope in his eyes.

“I don’t know if ‘fixable’ is the right word, Joey. But Lance, Marki, and I are doing all that we can.” JC sighed. It was going to be a very long ride to Jacksonville.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: tour jc justin joey chris college lance