Chapter Eight

(Saturday, October 26th, 7 p.m.)

Shannon nervously paced around her bedroom, occasionally glancing in her mirror and smoothing her dress of emerald green satin. She wanted everything tonight to go perfectly, she really wanted to make a great first impression. After looking over her appearance once again, she cast a glance towards Meaghan, who sat calmly in the living room, watching television, cool and collected in a dress of pale purple.

“Aren’t you nervous?” Shannon asked her best friend.

“Not really. After the way Justin and I met, the other guys should be a breeze.” Meaghan replied, laughing. “Calm down, Shan. You look great.”

“I shouldn’t be so nervous, I know. I mean, I’m only meeting JC and Lance … but we’re also meeting their girlfriends too, and that’s what’s making me nervous.” Shannon sat down on the couch, her foot tapping nervously.

“I’m just hoping they’re nice,” Meaghan admitted. “You hear such awful stories on the net … but then, look at us. We’re nice, normal people, but I bet we’ll get typecast and picked over just as much as the other girls the guys have dated.”

In the two weeks that had passed, Shannon and Joey had become quite serious, they seemed to be in their own little world, and Joey’s best friends were anxious to meet the girl who had made him so happy. Justin and Meaghan were dating also, enjoying each other’s company and having fun. JC had decided to take the group out to dinner - both in honor of Chris’s birthday, which had just passed, and for everyone to get to know one another.

**********

Meanwhile, JC went over the reservation confirmation and the plans for the night, his mind reeling with memories … memories he needed to forget, but couldn’t. He closed his eyes, and he could almost feel her lips on his, the touch of her soft skin on his fingertips.

“Josh?” Natalie looked at her boyfriend with concern in her eyes. “Are you all right?”

“Hmm?” JC was brought back to reality at the sound of her voice. He blushed guiltily, his eyes traveling over Natalie. She was so beautiful, and he loved her so much. “I’m sorry, sweetie. I was just thinking of something. Yeah, I’m fine.”

Natalie smiled, relief coming over her features. “Great. I guess we should head over to the restaurant now, Joey just called, he’s on his way there with Shannon, Meaghan and Justin.”

“Good. Joey was telling me that Shannon’s really nervous about meeting everyone. I just can’t wait to meet her, she seems to be really good for him.” JC commented, grinning.

“She’s all he talks about, I can’t wait to meet her. I just hope she’ll like me,” Natalie worried. “I mean, with all the crap that gets printed about us …”

“Nat, don’t worry about it. I don’t think Joey would be with someone that shallow,” JC reassured her.


***********

Laurie glanced around the restaurant for the rest of the group, her heart beating nervously in her chest. She hadn’t seen JC since they had made their vow not to tell anyone of their indiscretion, and she was more than a little nervous. Not to mention she would be meeting Shannon and Meaghan for the first time, and first impressions meant a lot to Laurie. Taking a few deep breaths to calm her nerves, she turned to face Steve, who gave her a reassuring smile.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen you this nervous,” Steve commented, reaching over and gently rubbing Laurie’s shoulder.

“I don’t think I’ve been this nervous in a long time,” Laurie admitted.

“Don’t worry about it, Laur. Joey said Shannon is really nervous too, and from what I hear, she’s really sweet, so I don’t think you have much to be nervous about.” Steve smiled at her gently, and noticed his little brother making his way across the restaurant with Justin and two girls in tow. Laurie and Steve stood, and  introductions were made.

“It’s so nice to finally meet you,” Shannon smiled at Laurie. “I’ve heard so much about you from Joey.”

“Likewise,” Laurie smiled ruefully, winking at Joey who blushed. Laurie really liked Shannon and Meaghan, they were very friendly and sweet, and they seemed to be perfect matches for Joey and Justin. Meaghan kept Justin’s ego in check, and Shannon looked like she was quickly falling for Joey, and he looked the same way.

It wasn’t long before everyone had arrived, and introductions had been made all around. For the most part, Shannon really liked everyone, JC and Lance had been very friendly and open, and the girlfriends of the other guys were great. She really liked Laurie and Natalie, and Bridget, Laurie’s little sister and girlfriend to Chris, seemed like a lot of fun. Meaghan liked the other girls too, though Alison, Lance’s date for the evening, hadn’t exactly made the greatest impression …

Meaghan was in the restroom, double-checking her appearance in the mirror before the other guys arrived. Taking a calming breath, she headed for the door, accidentally bumping into someone. “Oh! I’m sor - ” Meaghan began.

"Excuse you! Maybe you need to watch where you’re walking.” The snotty voice belonged to a scantily clad blonde, who pushed her way to the mirror.

“I’m sorry, it was an accident.” Meaghan had to bite her tongue to hold back what she really wanted to say.

“Whatever.” The blonde kept her eyes on her reflection, applying more makeup to her already heavily defined eyes. “You know, he’s not going to stay with you. He’ll use you just like all the others.”

“I beg your pardon? Who are you to - ” Meaghan looked at her incredulously.

“Alison Garner. I’m Lance’s girlfriend, you’re Justin’s flavor-of-the-minute, right?” Alison looked Meaghan up and down. “You’re a little older than what he usually goes for. Rob the cradle much?”

Meaghan eyes opened wide in shock. For the first time in a long time, she was completely at a loss for words. She was still staring at Alison when Bridget Benton exited one of the stalls.

“Oh, hi Alison. I see you’re still going for the skank look - it suits you.” Bridget turned to Meaghan and smiled. “I don’t think we’ve met. Bridget Benton, I’m Laurie’s little sister.”

“Hi, Meaghan Fraser, it’s nice to meet you.” Meaghan followed Bridget out of the restroom. “Is she always like that?”

“I wouldn’t worry too much about Alison. Contrary to what she likes to believe - she’s not Lance’s girlfriend. None of the guys like her, Justin especially. She came onto him at a concert a few months back, and he didn’t even go for it. So then she sunk her claws into Lance … that boy needs to learn to choose girls better. He feels sorry for her mostly, I’m just hoping he’ll come to his senses soon.” Bridget grinned, her green eyes shining with laughter. “So how long have you and Justin been a thing?”

“Only a few weeks, but we’re having a lot of fun, at least I am.” Meaghan smiled. She had a feeling she and Bridget were going to be great friends.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: tour jc justin joey chris college lance