The Sleepover and Supervisors


"Then we'd do the makeover nonsense before ice cream and a movie," Melanie says, moving her hands animately as she does so. We're sitting at her kitchen table discussing the sleepover plans for Friday night. I didn't know so much happened in one night, but apparently they did. Make up, movies, gossip, and games. Why call it a sleepover if you never sleep?

"What movie?" I asked. I didn't want Josie watching those sappy romance movies where people are sucking each other's faces off. I know she's mature for her age, but she's not that mature. As far as I'm concerned, she'll have no physical contact with a male until she's thirty. . .

"Princess Diaries and those Barbie things. . ." Melanie answered, "Don't worry, nothing inappropriate. My daughter is watching this stuff too."

"Oh, I know," I assured, "I just wanted to know." She smiled at me for the millionth time today and I haven't gotten sick of it yet. Melanie has this aura about her. She's always. . . perky. Speaking of perky, I my eyes seem wander down the v-shape dip of her shirt as she looks down to write something on a sheet of paper. I must say, Melly's packing. She even has an incredible ass. . .

"Ahem." My eyes shoot up when the clearing of Melanie's throat catches my attention. I tried to act like I was staring off into the distance, but with the way she's looking at me, I doubt it worked.

"So, is that all?" I asked suddenly, trying to get rid of the awkwardness. Melanie crosses her arms over her chest protectively and leans back in her chair.

"Yeah, that's it," she told me, "Well, we need another supervisor for the whole thing. So if you or your wife are up for it. . ." My spirits sort of dampen when she mention's my wife, but I shake it off.

"Oh, my wife passed away," I explained softly. I can see Melanie swallow nervously as her face flushes with embarrassment.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, "I just assumed because of your ring." I looked down at the gold band on my finger and smile weakly to assure that things are fine.

"That's understandable," I told her, "It's okay, really. I confuse a lot of people. I just don't take it off."

"Okay," Melanie said with uncertainty, "I'm still sorry." I chuckle lightly and wave her off.

"Don't worry about it, Melanie," I smile, "And I don't mind supervising." She smiles and nods.

"Good," she responds, "Get ready for be made over. Lipstick, eye liner, the works." We laugh and I licked my lips.

"I can't wait."


-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-


After my perverted peak, Melanie's taken it upon herself to avoid me at all cost. She and Stephanie, the other sleepover supervisor as well as Ashley's godmother, are secluded in the kitchen, supposedly making snacks. I have a very good feeling that they're discussing me because Stephanie walks in here, checks on the girls, and looks at me suspiciously before retreating back to the kitchen. I try to ignore the nervous knot in my stomach and focus on the movie ahead, but The Princess Diaries was never a favorite of mine.

"Daddy, are the snacks ready?" Josie whispered, her eyes permanantly glued to the screen.

"I don't know," I replied, "I'll ask Ms. Thomas." I stood from the tan sofa and step over the group of girls laying on the floor, careful not to step on their fingers and toes. As I make my way into the kitchen, I tug at the hem of my shirt and run my hands over my hair. I don't know why, but I'm nervous.

"The girls want to know if the food's ready," I announce the moment I swing open the kitchen door. They both hault their actions and stare at me blankly. I look at Stephanie before looking over at Melanie.

"Oh, yeah," she said, snapping out of whatever daze she seemed to be in, "We're just waiting on the popcorn. I nod and stuff my hands in my pockets.

"So, you're Josephine's father, right?" Stephanie's voice disrupts the uncomfortable silence and I once again nod.

"Yeah, I am." She smiles.

"Raising her by yourself?"

"For five years, yes," I answered. She nods approvingly.

"Melanie's a single parent too," Stephanie informed me, "Ever since Ashley was born." I look over at Melanie and raise a brow.

"Really?" I said. She smiles shyly and begins to mess with a pack of marshmellows on the table.

"Yeah," she finally confirms.

"Well, you did a great job," I compliment, "Ashley's a good kid."

"Thanks," Melanie said softly, "So, have you've suffered enough or are you enjoying the movie?" I smile and shrugged.

"I guess I've outgrown Disney," I shrugged, "But the girls are having a great time."

"Are they acting like they've never seen it before?" I nodded and chuckled.

"I sneezed and was nearly kicked out of the room," I told them, "They're serious when it comes to movie time."

"You wait until gossip talk happens," Stephanie chimmed in, "That's where they really get crazy."

"Especially when crushes get mentioned." Melanie and Stephanie laugh, but I don't. Crushes? If Josie says one thing about a boy, I'll find him and-

"Does Josie have a crush?" Stephanie sings as she toys with a napkin. I smiled and shrugged.

"Not that I know of," I told her, "As far as I'm concerned, Josie hates men."

"Ah, a true woman," Melanie laughs. Stephanie giggles when she looks over at me and I'm confused. Is there something on my face?

"Don't worry, Justin. We're only kidding," she assured, "We're not going into a feminist rant." I scratch between my eyebrows and smile.

"Thank god." I give an exaggerated sigh of relief and they laugh.

"I like you, Justin," Stephanie comments, grabbing a bowl of Chex mix from the table and heading towards the door.

"I like you too, Stephanie," I respond. She smiles my way and exits the kitchen, leaving me with Melanie. I look over at her and she protectively covers up her chest. Damn, was I staring that hard? I didn't mean to. They were just. . . there. Damn it, don't judge me. I haven't had sex in four years. It would've been five, but in one of my drunken, club hopping episodes, I ran into a newly divorced Britney.

"Popcorn's done," Melanie announces the moment the microwave oven beeps. I nod and watch as she turns toward the device. She grabs the bag of buttery goodness out of the microwave and pours it into a bowl adjacent to it. She turns to me and smiles, "Could you grab those sodas?" She nods her head toward the counter and I pick them up. We head out of the kitchen together and the girls cheer the moment they see the food.

"Who wants popcorn?" Melanie asked. A million hands shot up before they started grabbing at the sodas in my hands. It was like feeding wolves.

"Okay, girls," Stephanie said loudly to speak over the noise, "Gossip time." The girls instantly hundle by Stephanie's chair and giggle. Melanie sits next to me on the sofa, but keeps her distance.

"Can we do crushes first?" A little hispanic girl raises her hand. I believe her name is Angelica. All the girls giggle again and I laugh lightly.

"Sure thing," Stephanie said quickly, "Who wants to go first?" The room is silent before Ashley speaks up.

"Erica likes Brian!" she reveals. A redheaded girl gasped and buried her chubby face into her hands.

"I do not!" she denied, "Ashley likes Peter!" I laugh and Melanie chuckles.

"Well. . .Josie likes David!" What!?!

"Who's David?" I asked calmly. The girls laugh.

"He's-" Ashley begins, only to be interrupted.

"He's nobody," Josie inserts, "I don't even like him."

"Yes you do!" Erica argues, "He's a fifth grader too." Oh. My. God. Did I mention Josie's in the third grade? What the hell is she doing liking fifth grader? Sure she's mature, but she's not that grown yet.

"Fifth grade?" I nearly screeched. All the girls 'oh' as Josie blushes.

"Dad. . ." Josie whined. I sit back and take a breath. I decide to play it cool to save her the embarrassment.

"Don't worry about it," I assured, "As long as I get to meet him before ya'll get married, I'm cool." Everybody laughed and Josie's reddened.

"I'm not gonna marry him," she argued.

"Yeah you are," Monica, a little black girl, inserts, "He wants to marry you." She teasingly sings the last part and everybody laughs.

"He does not," Josie denies, "Does he?" Everybody howls with laughter, but I'm tempted to roll over and die. She was a little too anxious to find that out. Besides, if I find out he so much as thought about messing with my little girl, I'm gonna break the asshole in half.

"Okay," Stephanie interrupted, "Let's leave Josie alone. I say we pick on the adults." The girls cheer and turn to face Melanie and I.

"Mr. Timberlake, who's your crush?" I'm a bit shocked to be called on. I look over at Melanie and she smiles. I look back at my audience and their expectant looks are making me nervous.

"Um. . ." The girls laugh at my lack of words, "I have a crush on. . . nobody." Everybody breathes a disappointed sigh.

"Oh come on," Melanie whined, "Everybody has a crush."

"Really?" I asked rhetorically, "If everybody has a crush, Ms. Thomas, who's yours?" She blushes immediately and the girls laugh.

"Yeah, mom," Ashley pried, "Who's your crush?" I stare at her and wiggle my eyebrows. She laughs and looks at Stephanie. I get butterflies in my stomach the moment Stephanie glances over at me. I want Melanie to say it's me for some reason. I barely know her and I want her crushing on me? Am I that pathetic?

"I have a crush on somebody cute and funny," Melanie said vaguely, "That's all I'm telling you." The girls playfully boo her, but I'm grinning like hell.

I'm cute and funny.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story