The Awkward Situation



When I arrived to Melanie's house, I was dressed in a baby blue polo shirt and khaki slacks that hug loosely on my frame. I shaved and wore a silver watch on my right wrist that glimmered with diamonds. I ran my hand over my head and played with my curls for a moment before taking a deep breath. I don't know why I was so nervous, it was only Melanie.

Okay, so it's not just Melanie. She's so much for than a just. I wish that I could think otherwise because I feel like a teenager all over again. Sweaty palms and butterflies. Practicing what I'm going to say and worrying about my appearance. I honestly spent more time getting ready for this dinner than I have for the Grammy's. I wanted to look good, but not so good that she would know I was trying to impress her. I wanted to be comfortable, but not look like a slob. I wanted her to look me up and down approvingly and not because she thought I was completely desperate.

Even though I think I am.

"Dad, are you going to knock?" I averted my eyes to my left side and saw Josephine looking up at me expectantly. For a moment, I forgot she was standing by side.

"Yeah, sorry, baby," I said quickly before I went to knock. Before my first could come in contact with the wood, the door swung open and Stephanie greeted me with a huge smile.

"Well, look who finally showed up." I couldn't tell if she was mad or not, so I plastered a smile on face.

"Sorry," I apologized, "Josie held me up."

"Me?" Josie asked, "You're the one who was in the mirror for an hour." I glared at her and she pretended to zip her mouth shut. I turned back to Stephanie who giggled before patting my arm.

"Don't worry, it paid off," she said, "You look very handsome." I smiled confidently.

"Thank ya kindly," I told her, leaning down to kiss her cheek, "You look good too." And she did in her lime green mini skirt and black hoodie. The woman was very. . . colorful, to say the least, but she wore it well. I guess she's one of those people who can wear a trash bag and make it look like Versace.

"Well, thank you kindly," she chuckled before turning to Josie, "You're daddy and Miss. Thompson are going to have dinner here and Ash, you, and I are going to Dave and Buster's, okay?" Josie's face lit up and she grinned. She absolutely loved Dave and Buster's. It was a supersized arcade with a resturant on the side that had everything from General's Tso's Chicken to an all-American burger.

I actually wished I was going until Melanie finally made her appearance with Ashley running ahead of her to hug Josie. She looked at me with wide eyes and I felt uncomfortable. The way Stephanie looked at her, I could tell that some information wasn't shared between the two.

"Hi," I said, trying my best to rid of the awkwardness. Melanie licked her lips and folded her hands together.

"Hey," she replied, "I thought that Stephanie was suppose to pick Josie up at your place."

"Oh. . ." I looked back at Stephanie who pretended to be too busy playing around with the girls to look at me, "Well, I decided to save her the trip."

"Okay," Stephanie said, "We're out."

"Wait, out where?" Melanie asked.

"Dave and Buster's." Stephanie replied, already ushering the girls out of the door, "We'll be back in a couple of hours."

"But I made dinner," Melanie whined. Stephanie pretended to think for a moment, "Why don't you just eat with Justin?" I looked at Melanie as she continued to stare at Stephanie.

"But I made a lot of food," she said. I felt somewhat insulted that she didn't want to be alone with me, but at the same time, I didn't want to be alone with her either. I didn't know how to act or what to say.

"I'm sure Justin wouldn't mind seconds or thirds," Stephanie said, "Right, Justin?" I blinked and looked between the two of them as Ash and Josie continued to whine for Stephanie to come along.

"I. . . um-"

"Good!" Stephanie interrupted, "Be good. Have fun. See ya later!" She ran out the door and slammed it shut behind her, leaving me alone with Melanie. Silence engulfed us and I hesitately turned to face her. Melanie looked up at me with nervousness pouring from her eyes.

"So. . ." she began before clapping her hands for no reason, "How about some food?"

"Food's. . . good." I figure that eating would keep my mouth occupied and prevent me from saying something I'd surely regret.

---------------------------------------------------------

It took about an hour, but Melanie and I are actually having a decent conversation. Well, it's more of a game of twenty-one questions, but it's better than sitting around in tense gaps of silences that seem louder than noise. We're laughing at the story she told me about her mother and an egg incident, don't ask, when a knock at the door interrupts us.

Melanie excused herself before getting up from the couch we were sharing and heading towards the door. I took my cup of tea that was resting on a coaster at the edge of her wooden coffee table. I barely take a sip before I hear Melanie whispering.

"Leave. Now!" I listen a bit closer and the sound of a male's voice cuts through the room.

"Will you at least talk to me?" he asked before Melanie groaned.

"There is nothing to talk about," she told him, "Whatever issue you want to discuss should've been discussed years ago."

"Mel-"

"David, please. Just leave." I stand up when his name is said. My legs seem to have a mind of their own as they walked right over to the door and stopped when I was behind Melanie. They both haulted their discussion long enough to notice me.

"Is everything all right?" I asked looking right at David. His eyes are as blue as mine, but bigger. He looks completely harmless, but by the pained look on Melanie's face, I could tell that he was far from it.

"Everything's fine," Mel answered with a heavy sigh, "David was just leaving." I could see them exchange looks, a silent argument, I suppose.

"Actually, I was hoping to speak with Melanie alone." My defense shot up immediately and I took a step closer to Mel.

"Well, I think she wants you to leave instead," I told him, placing my hand on her shoulder. I was surprised to feel Melanie's hand to rest on top of mine before she looked back up at David.

"I think so too," she confirmed. I fought a small smile from my face as David's shoulder's slumped.

"I'll talk to you later," he said to Melanie before narrowing his eyes at me. I just offered a small smile and waved as he walked away. Far from mature, I know, but he had caused Melanie more stress than she alreay had, and in my book, he deserved to be mocked.

"Thank you," Melanie said, dropping her hand from mine as she slammed the door shut. I removed my hand from her shoulder and shrugged.

"I didn't really do anything," I told her, "But are you okay?" She frowned and shook her head and rubbed her temple.

"I shouldn't have opened the door," she said to me as she walked back over to the sofa. I sat as she took a seat and sighed.

"He shouldn't have came here," I argued.

"I know, but, like always, I let him in."

"What do you mean?" Melanie tensed up at the question and shook her head.

"Nothing. . ."

"Mel-"

"Justin, I really appreciate your concern, but there's some things I don't feel comfortable sharing with you." Her statement was reasonable, but hurtful all the same. I didn't expect her to be completely open with me, but to hear her say it still stung. I just nodded my head and looked down at my hands.

"So. . ." I began, trying to think of something to say, "Got any other tales about your mom and eggs?" Melanie offered me a small smile that gently curved her lips, but it faded quickly as she shook her.

"No," she answered quietly.

"Well, I'm sure you got some things to tell me about Stephanie." I tried to laugh, but it came out dry and fake.

"Maybe some other time," Melanie mumbled.

"Okay. . ."

"I'm sorry," she apologized, "I'm not being a good hostess."

"No, no," I said, "It's fine."

"It's not fine," she impugned, "You're just too nice to tell me that."

"I just figured that you wouldn't be as happy as before considering that that David guy popped up at your door, unannounced, I presume."

"Yeah," she breathed, "I shouldn't let him ruin tonight though. I was really enjoying your company."

"Sounded like the past tense there," I chuckled lightly.

"Oh, no, I didn't mean it like that," Melanie said, "I am enjoying it. . . Just not as much because now I'm just. . ."

"It's okay, I understand," I assured, "I should just go."

"No, don't go," Melanie said, "I don't want you to leave." I searched her eyes as she blushed at her words and looked brushed her hair behind her ears.

"Fine, I'll stay," I smiled, "We can. . . watch a movie or something until the girls get back."

"Sure," Melanie said, standing up and walking over to her television, "What do you want to watch?" I drummed my fingers on my knobby knees and shrugged.

"Whatever you want to watch." Melanie sighed walked back to the couch.

"In that case, no movies," she smiled, "I'd rather talk to you." I was flattered, but nervous because I had no idea what to talk about.

"Okay," I said, "What do you want to discuss?"

"What's on your mind?"

"That's a loaded question." She laughed, sending vibrations through my chest and causing me to laugh with her.

"Well, I have time to spare," she told me, "So, start from the beginning."

--------------------------------------------------------

I groaned tiredly as the sun blinded with its rays. My head had a numbing pain that came from my temples and it worsen when I tilted my head to the side. I squeezed my eyes shut and pulled the blanket back up my waist, smiling softly because of the warmth I instantly felt.

"Morning. . ." My eyes slid open to the most beautiful sight; a smile. A smile that belonged to Melanie, who's blonde hair was tossled from her sleep, but still glowed in the morning sun.

"Mornin'," I smiled. She wrapped her arm around my waist and snuggled into my chest. I sighed and squeezed her gently.

"Sleep good?"

"Great, actually."

"Good, good. . ." My fingers idly played in her hair as hers ran over the cotton fabric of my white t-shirt. I felt surprisingly content in the quiet of the room and the peacefulness of the morning we were sharing together until. . .

"Dad?" I jumped and my eyes averted to the spot where the voice came from. In the doorway with big, shocked eyes was Josephine.

"Josie-"

"Why'd you run off like that?" I can hear Stephanie asked before she appeared in the doorway. She quickly covered Josie's eyes and looked the other way. "Oh my god, I'm sorry!"

"No, it's okay," I can hear Melanie say as I continued to stare as Josie as she fussed and fought with Stephanie's hand. As if this couldn't get any worse, Ashley soon appeared as she pushed past Stephanie and Josie and right into the room. She adorably gasped and covered her eyes.

"Mommy!" she called for no reason. Melanie slipped out of bed, dressed in shorts and a shirt, and gently removed her hands from her face. I followed her lead and climbed out of bed in my boxers and t-shirt, walking over to where Stephanie and Josie stood. To Josephine's relief, Stephanie had removed her hands from her face as I knelt down in front of her.

"Baby," I cooed, "Look at daddy." Josie moved her eyes from the spot on the floor she was just staring at and focused on me instead. I frowned when I saw the tears that welled up her big, green eyes.

"You promised. . ." she whispered, letting her tear run down her cheek. I reached to wipe it away, but she stubborned dried her own face and crossed her arms over her chest.

"I didn't mean to make you cry," I told her softly. She shook her head as though she didn't want to hear it before she began to sob.

"What about mommy?" she asked, "What about mommy?"

"Mommy's gone. . ." I choked out, now that I could see Nakia all over her face, crying because of what she saw.

"I hate you!" she screamed, "I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!" She turned and ran from the room, and down the hall. I looked back at Melanie who was now standing behind Ashley. They both stared at me with sad expressions. Stephanie sighed and ran her hand through her hair.

"I guess this is my fault," she said, "I set this up."

"It's nobody's fault," I assured, "I'm going to talk to her." I exited the room and walked down the hall, peaking my head in every room and calling out to Josie. I finally found her in the corner of Ashley's room, sniffling with her head against the wall. She didn't even look at me when I sat down beside her and looked down at her.

"I want to go home," she stated in an eeriely calm voice.

"Josie-"

"I want to go home." She stood and walked right out of the room. I stood and followed her down the hall before stopping at the top of the stairs and watching her run down them. I sighed and went up the other end of the hall and into Melanie's bedroom. Stephanie, Melanie, and Ashley were all seated on the edge of her bed when I walked in and began to gather my things.

"She wants to go home," I said to nobody in particular as I retrieved my pile of folded clothes and my watch from Mel's dresser.

"Can I go and talk to her, mommy?" Ashley asked. Melanie nodded and Stephanie volunteered to take her downstairs, leaving Melanie and I alone.

"She does know that we didn't. . ." Melanie trailed off.

"I don't know," I said, "She wouldn't even look at me."

"I'm sorry," she apologized.

"Don't be," I walked over to her and rubbed her arm, "She'll be fine." Melanie nodded and smiled down at her before leaning down and kissing her forehead. My lips lingered for a while longer than they normally would've, but they eventually separated from her as I turned to exit the room.

I got dressed in the bathroom before I jogged downstairs and slipped on my shoes by the steps. I found Josephine waiting outside by the car with Steph and Ashley by her side. I unlocked the doors with my remote and hugged them goodbye as Josie slipped into the car with a word. The ride home was hard, not only because of the silence, but because of Josie's words reverbarating through my head.

What about mommy?


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story