She remembered the words clearly as if it was yesterday. ‘You’re nobody Shelby; you’ll never amount to anything. I wish I didn’t even know you. You’re a disgrace to this class and this town. You’ll always be a fat cow working at a dead end job.’

To this day the words stung and hurt her to her very core. Shelby Lynn Murphy, nobody liked her and nobody gave her time of day unless it was to knock her down or cut some crude remark.

A girl’s senior year in high school was supposed to be the time of her life but for Shelby it was a never-ending cycle. She woke up, endured the yelling in her foster home, walked the mile to school, and then sat through a boring hour of homeroom. After that it was off to trig to listen to the teacher drone on and enduring the cruel comments coming from the back.

No one stopped to help her when people ran into her, spilling her books everywhere. Many days she ended up in the bathroom, third stall in to be precise, crying her eyes out.

In five days she would be out. Graduation was upon them the week after this. Finals next week, then she’d be free. She smiled at this thought, freedom, what was it like?

Living in a foster home after her mother died 8 yrs ago, Shelby had stayed with her stepfather, but couldn’t live with the constant beating and sexual abuse he’d caused her. This experience had left her scarred for life. She had no friends; she was depressed all the time, and was about 75 lbs overweight.

Standing at a mere 5’5, 230 lbs made her the blunt of everyone’s joke. Her pale blue eyes hidden beneath glasses, rarely a sparkle of life to them. The only time Shelby was truly alive was when she was by herself writing.

Writing was her passion, her escape from reality. She could transform her feelings on paper and not have to worry about anyone ridiculing her. Having school and a 20hr/week job, she hadn’t been able to write much lately.

Reading was also another passion she had. It, like her writing, was another way out of her harsh cruel world. No one hurt her, tormented her, or constantly pushed her down.

Opening her yearbook, Shelby looked at the messages people had left. Counting a whole 5 all together, she sighed and closed the book.

“Shelby get down here and make supper.” A voice demanded from below.

“It’s Tina’s turn.” She shouted back down.

“She’s not here, now get your lazy ass down here and make supper before we starve.”

Shelby sighed and slowly got up. Ten other people lived in this house and it seemed as no one else even did anything. There were times when she felt like a modern Cinderella.

“Stop lagging girl,” the woman demanded when Shelby reached the bottom stair.

“Sorry Alice.” Shelby mumbled.

“How many times do I have to tell you to refer to me as mom like the others do.” Alice snapped.

“When you act like a mother then I’ll think about it, but as long as you’re a slave drive, Alice it is.” Shelby turned away and left her standing in the same spot her anger pulsating from her whole body.

She was scrounging around the kitchen when suddenly she lay face down on the ground, her cheek stinging like the Dickens.

“Never talk to me like that you stupid tramp. Now get up and make something.”

Shelby swallowed the tears that built beneath the dam.

“Ten more days,” she thought silently.

Twenty minutes later she had dinner on the table and watched as everyone made a sloppy mess of themselves.

“Don’t you pigs have manners?” she yelled disgusted enough to loose her appetite.

“Shut up and sit back down before I give you another bruise.” Alice threatened.

“I have to go to the library, don’t stay up and wait for me.” That said, Shelby fled the house and hopped into her old Beetle.

Shelby headed towards the library, not stopping for anything.

“Hey Shelby, spots open.” The guy behind the desk smiled.

“Thanks Marc, I appreciate it.” Shelby headed toward her favorite computer and sighed.

She booted up and typed in a job search and once again came up empty.

“Stuck here for life,” she sighed then glanced up.

She noticed a sign for Disney World; sighing wistfully Shelby wished she were there right now. Being the kid she never got to be. Shelby began to feel her heart race and she started shaking. Right in front of her was her way out.

Turning back to her computer she found a website that rented apartments wherever you would think possible. She entered Orlando and brought up a page of like 50 different entries. She looked for the cheapest one, a one-room studio with only basic furnishings such as a bathroom area, kitchen sink, stove, and refrigerator. Reading into it more, she discovered it was only $150 a month. She put in an application and smelled that freedom just within her reach.

She had about $1500 to her name from working and saving. After she’d proudly bought her car, she carefully put away the rest of her money. She figured it could take her to Orlando and she could live on it until she found a job.

With her new sense of worth Shelby went home and to bed, counting down the days in which she could leave and start a new life where no one knew her. She’d been telling herself that the rest of the world had to be nicer than Minot, North Dakota.

_________________

(Tuesday May 14, 2002) 10:00am

Shelby was near tears as she walked towards Trig.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Tyler asked getting in her way.

“To class, now excuse me Tyler before I’m late.” Shelby sighed, trying to get past him.

Tyler Radke, biggest jerk in school. He’d made Shelby’s life miserable ever since she could remember.

“Oh, isn’t that cute, she wants to get by, what do you think? Should we let her go boys?” Tyler asked his friends Rod and Jeremy.

“Um, no.” Rod crossed his arms.

“Not acceptable” Jeremy mimicked his move.

“What did I ever do to you guys?” Shelby backed against the wall.

“You’re just there. Always in the way, like I said you’re nobody. You’ll always be nobody, remember the time Rod asked you out when we were freshman? All you said was haha. Now how do you think he felt? He asked you numerous times, but all you did was ignore him. Then if I remember right you had a teensy crush on him. Since that day, I decided we’d never let you live that one day.” Tyler explained.

“You hate on me just because of some stupid ass joke he played 4 freaking years ago?” Shelby asked feeling the chunks rise.

“That and the fact that you’re easy prey. I mean you’re fat, you smell funny, and we know it bothers you.” Tyler sneered.

“You are sick.” Shelby pushed passed them, ignoring the tears that were soon to surface.

The rest of the day went twice as bad, especially when she went home.

“Shelby get you’re ass down here.” Alice screamed as soon as she stepped through the door.

“What?” she sighed in defeat.

“Clean up this mess, then hurry up and fix something for dinner.” Alice demanded.

“Sorry, I can’t I have to work tonight.” Shelby turned to go, just waiting for the rebuttal.

“Excuse me, but the only work you’re going to do tonight is what I say.” Alice screamed.

“Bye Alice.” Shelby calmly walked up to her room to change for work.

“Didn’t you hear me? Get your ass back down here and do what I said.” Alice yelled.

Shelby descended the stairs five minutes later, wearing her work clothes.

“Don’t you dare walk out that door you stupid bitch,” Alice slapped Shelby across the face in anger.

“Get Nancy to do it, all she ever does is sit on her ass all day. Or maybe you could do something yourself for a change.” Shelby walked out to her car and went to work.

The moment Shelby walked in to work her boss was on her case.

“Shelby, hurry up and wait on table 3, they’ve been waiting for over 5 minutes now.” Brad demanded.

“Excuse me, but I’m a little busy here, can’t you do it yourself?” Shelby pointed to the line of customers lined up to pay.

“Go wait the table, and I’ll take care of this.” Brad told her.

“Here you go ma’am, have a nice night.” Shelby handed the young woman her change and offered a smile.

“If you want to keep your job you’ll do what I say.” He demanded thru clenched teeth.

Shelby just glared at him then went around the counter and greeted the table.

“Hello there, can I get you guys anything to drink?” Shelby greeted with a smile.

“We would like 5 waters, 2 Pepsi’s, 2 chocolate malts, and 1 milk. We’d also appreciate it if you’d hurry the hell up next time, we shouldn’t have to wait 10 minutes just to be waited on.” The old lady snapped.

“I do apologize ma’am, I’ll bring those drinks right away.” Shelby nodded then left the table and told herself to breathe.

“Come finish these.” Brad demanded pointing to the cash register.

“Sorry, can’t I have to make drinks.” Shelby brushed past him and fixed her drinks.

“Here you are ma’am,” Shelby smiled, setting down the tray holding all their beverages. “Can I take your order now?”

The lady rambled the order just as a group of 15 people came in. Shelby inwardly sighed and realized it was going to be a long night.

Five hours and two blisters later Shelby finally lowered herself in bed. Tonight had been good; she made just over $75 in tips, the best night in a while.

“Shelby comes down here.” Nancy screamed just minutes later.

Shelby just ignored her and found herself asleep in minutes.

“I love you Shelby,” he smiled down at her.

“You can’t love me, nobody loves me, I’m unlovable.” Shelby whispered.

“Now that’s not true baby, I love you and I’m somebody.” He insisted.

“Are you for real?” she sighed leaning against him.

“Yes, I’m for real.” He chuckled softly.

As Shelby gazed into his eyes, she saw them suddenly cloud up with a familiar hatred. Within the next few seconds he slapped her hard across the face.

“Shelby get you’re ass out of bed and make me breakfast.” Alice slapped her hard across the face.

“GET OUT OF MY ROOM, you’re not allowed in here.” Shelby pushed her out then slammed the door. She let herself slide down to the floor and felt the tears fall down her face.

“I can’t even have a dream without some kind of love.” She whispered that depression settling over her again.

Glancing to her right Shelby spotted a pair of scissors just within reach. She reached out and held them in her hand. The blades beckoned her as she stared at them.

“Shelby.” A voice shouted from below.

Shelby pushed the cool blade against her skin and pressed down slightly. She saw a thin red line of blood appear and grow. She repeated this one more time, releasing her breath she felt much better.

As much as Shelby wanted to stop, she’d been cutting since the beginning of the school year. No one knew her secret and she never cut deep; just a slight penetration to release some of the pressure within.

“Hey Shelby,” her neighbor called as she began her walk to school.

“Hey.”

Shelby took the same route every day and every day it took a half an hour to get to school. Many classmates drove past her, but no one ever bothered to stop, not even in the bitter wind of winter.

First period went good for Shel, but during trig the teacher sprung a pop quiz on them and she got blamed for it.

‘See me after class’ he’d said when he handed out the tests.

“Yes sir?” she asked quietly.

“Sit down Shelby,” he said shutting the door.

“What is this all about Mr. Brand?” Shelby asked nervously.

“Don’t be nervous, I just wanted to be the first to congratulate you.” He smiled.

“Congratulate me?” Shelby asked confused.

“Yeah, you’re graduating with a 4.0 GPA.” He explained.

“Oh my-are you serious?” Shelby asked dumbfounded.

“Yes I am and they also want you to give a speech at graduation you up for it?” he asked cautiously.

“I feel like I could do anything right now. You might want to ask me that later though.” Shelby left the room glowing.

“A 4.0,” she whispered to herself smiling.

Shelby wished more at that moment then ever before that she had someone to share her good news with.

The day got even better when she went home.

“Shel, you got mail.” Alice said snottily.

Shelby rolled her eyes at Alice’s retreating figure then turned over her envelope.

“Dear Miss Murphy…” Shelby read. Her eyes got wide and she jumped up and down.

“I got it.” She shouted excited.

In 10 days she was free to move to Orlando into her new studio apartment.

“I’m going to the library.” She shouted then ran out.

Shelby made it to the library in record time and went inside.

“Hey Shelby,” Marc smiled.

“Marc, guess what, I got a 4.0 to graduate with and I secured an apartment in Orlando. I can finally leave this dump.” Shelby ranted excitedly.

“Good job Shelbers I knew you could do it. If I wasn’t an old married grandpa I’d take ya out to celebrate.” Marc chuckled.

“That’s ok Marc, I’m just glad I got to tell at least someone. Will you come to graduation? I have to give a-oh my word, I have to give a speech.” Shelby realized and Marc could see her visibly close up.

“You’ll do great hon, if you need any help you know where to find me.” Marc smiled reassuringly.

“Thanks Marc,” Shelby went to her computer and suddenly an idea struck her.

“This is the perfect opportunity.” Shelby thought as she began typing wildly, the words flowing freely.

Shelby finished the speech in record time and printed a few copies.

“Marc, what do you think of this?” Shelby handed him the copy of her speech and waited for him to read it.

“I think you’re a genius, but I don’t think I’d ever go thru with something like that.” Marc shuddered.

“This is my moment, my only change to defend myself. Oh Marc this is going to work I can just taste it. Shit speaking of work, I’ve got to go.” Shelby leaned over the counter and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

“See ya Shelby.” Marc called after her.

Shelby arrived at work 5 minutes later and didn’t even care when Brad yelled at her the whole night. No way one pecker head boss was going to burst her bubble. She left Denny’s $75 richer, still on her high.

She finally got into bed about 1:30am and for the first time in a long time she wore a smile on her face.

_______________

(Next morning May 15, 2002)

“Shelby there’s someone here too see you.” Alice yelled as Shelby grabbed her bag.

“Be right down.” She shouted back. She glanced down and wondered if wearing a jumper was a little over board. She shrugged it off and headed downstairs.

“Why are you wearing that? It makes you look like an elephant.” Alice chided rolling her eyes.

“Bite me,” Shelby threw back then headed toward the kitchen.

“Hey, Shelby, need a ride to school?” Marc stood there smiling.

“Hey Marc, I’d love a ride.” Shelby smiled and followed him out to his car.

“So how’s the old dragon?” Marc asked referring to Alice.

“I believe you answered your own question.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“Why do you always walk to school when you have a car?” Marc asked.

“Because the one time I did drive it, the tires got slashed, so then I just decided to just keep walking.” Shelby replied wistfully.

“Martha was wondering if you wanted to join us for dinner tonight.” Marc asked her.

“Are you serious? Oh my gosh, I’d love too.” Shelby beamed excitedly.

“6:30, is that okay?” Marc asked.

“That works for me, thanks for the ride.” Shelby leaned over and gave him a hug.

“See ya later kiddo.” Marc smiled.

Shelby walked into school with a smile.

“What are you smiling about?” Tyler asked after intentionally bumping into her.

“After tomorrow, I won’t have to see you’re ugly face for another week. And after that I’ll never have to see you again.” Shelby explained.

“Yes you will, you’ll never leave here, you’ll always be a fat nobody.” Tyler sneered.

“Gee Tyler, by the way it sounds you’ll be stuck here forever too.” Shelby returned.

“Nah, I won’t be here.” Tyler denied.

“Then why would I be stuck here with you? You said it not me.” Shelby smugly pointed out, then turned to talk off.

Next thing she knew, Shelby was on the ground in front of her locker, blood running from her nose.

“See that’s what you get for being smart with me. I’d watch it if it were you.” Tyler pulled her up by her hair and smacked her against her locker before letting go and walking off.

Shelby fought the urge to sit down and cry in front of everyone.

“Shelby Murphy, come to the office please, Shelby Murphy come to the office.” The secretary called over the intercom.

“Shelby gather your stuff and go down.” Mrs. Dunn told her.

Shelby nervously went to the office and found two police officers waiting for her.

“Miss Murphy?” the taller one asked.

“Yes, how can I help you?” she answered.

“Do you know Marc and Martha Morgan?” he questioned.

“Yes, why,” Shelby swallowed nervously.

“I’m sorry miss but they were killed instantly in a car crash.”

At that moment, Shelby felt her world stop, she felt dead. No feeling registered. She’d just found out that her only friends had been killed”dead, gone.

“Miss Murphy? Miss, are you ok?” the officer asked.

“My only friend is dead, would you be ok?” Shelby snapped then ran into the bathroom.

Standing at the sink, she looked at her reflection. She splashed some water on her face then went into her third stall in. Only then did she let the tears fall. Marc, the only real friend she had was gone. Shelby dug into her purse and found what she was looking for. She pressed the blade to her skin and watched the blood appear, releasing the pressure that had built inside her.

Going back to class in her mind, was not an option. Mabel gave her one look and sent her home no questions asked.

Home was the last place she wanted to go so Shelby headed for her favorite spot in town”the Ramada Inn roof. It towered above the town it was her place to think.

She lay on her back looking up at the sky.

“Why me,” she whispered the tears leaking out.

Her whole life had been one big heart ache for her and she just wanted out. She was determined that Orlando would be different.

“Nine more days and you’ll be free, just 9 more days.” She assured herself. Truth be told it was the only thing that kept her going.

Ten minutes late for work, Brad was really hard on her. Several times when they were slow she just stood there looking forlorn, the tears leaving salty tracks down her cheeks. Never getting caught she made sure she was happy and dry when someone was watching.

After work was miserable, she went home and didn’t talk to a soul. She had no one. No one to talk to no one to give her a comforting hug which she needed most. She hugged Molly, a stuffed animal her mother had given her before she died. Shelby cried herself to sleep waking up the next morning really puffy.

“Shelby, a lawyer called this morning, he wants you to meet him at the Morgan residence on Sunday at 1. You’re not in some sort of trouble are you? I won’t bail you out.” Alice growled.

“Alice, do yourself a favor by running into a door or something. Just shut up.” Shelby glared.

“I won’t put up with that you ungrateful bitch. You are so dead.” Alice yelled, then started hitting Shelby who just sat there staring straight ahead.

“Are you stoned or something?” Alice wondered.

“Go to hell.” Shelby whispered then left.

The rest of the day progressed slower then she could ever imagine. It was officially her last day of school. Other students had finals next week but she’d exempt them all. She was free until graduation.

Shelby spent the weekend locked in her room just sitting there, Sunday she went to the Morgan’s.

“Miss Murphy, come in.” the man in the suit invited.

Shelby felt the tears rise as she stepped across the threshold.

“Please sit down, this here is the Morgan’s only relative.” The guy pointed to the other man present.

“I called you all here because this is what Marc wanted, we’re going to read his well, or listen to it if you will.” Shelby focused her attention to the TV screen in front of her.

Marc’s face appeared, “Hey guys, if you’re watching this then it probably means I’m dead. Please don’t cry Shelby, you cry too much to begin with. I’m just going to make this short. Shelby, I want you to get rid of that old piece of junk you call a car and take the one that’s in the garage. Wendel has the pink slip, as long as he hasn’t lost it. There’s also $5,000 going to you. Close you’re mouth young lady, that’s not polite.” Shelby’s open jaw shot up at that moment.

“There we go, like I was saying I want you to take that for when you get out of here. Make me proud sweetie.”

“Ok,” Shelby whispered openly crying.

“Stewart, I want you to have the house and everything else. I love you bro. Give Shelby a hug for me ok? Bye guys.” Just like that he was gone.

Shelby paid no attention to anyone around her or the fact that someone’s arms surrounded her. She was numb in her pain.

“Shelby, here’s the keys to the car. Do you want to go check it out?” Wendel offered.

“Sure I want out of here.” Shelby stood up and followed him out.

“Here it is.”

Shelby took one look at the car and her jaw dropped.

“You can’t be serious.”

“He wanted you to have it.” He smiled.

Before them sat an old red convertible, completely restored. White leather interior gave it class as did the white leather hood. All it needed was a pair of white fuzzy dice and it would be a complete vintage classic.

“Go ahead and sit in it.” Wen suggested.

Shelby opened the door and gingerly sat behind the wheel. She put the keys in the ignition and started her up.

“She purrs like a kitten,” Wen smiled softly.

“I’d much rather have them here still.” Shelby admitted quietly.

“Yeah, me too,” Stewart agreed standing next to the car. “How did you know my brother?”

“From the library, I’m a regular. He was like the only person who actually gave a shit about me. He even invited me over to have diner with him and Martha. He was like the father I never had.” Shelby had tears running down her face.

“He talked about you from time to time. He always referred to you as his brown haired blue eyed grand daughter. He called last night and I heard from him to tell me that you got a 4.0 in school and you were moving to Orlando.” He smiled wistfully.

“I miss them already.” Shelby admitted sadly.

“I do to, I can’t believe they’re gone, it just seems so unreal.” Stew sighed staring off into space.

“When’s the funeral?” Shelby wondered minutes later.

“Tomorrow morning at 10:30,” Stewart replied.

“Oh.”

“You need a ride?”

“If you don’t mind, do you think it’s ok if I leave the car here until next Sunday morning?”

“Sure I’ll have Wen have you’re money by then. Do you have like a savings account or something?”

“Actually I’m leaving for Orlando on Sunday so I’m going to close my accounts. Is it possible to just kind of cash it? Or like a check or something?” she asked forlornly.

“Yeah, we can have that done for you. I got to get going, do you need a ride home?”

“If it’s ok,” Shelby sighed getting out of the car.

The following morning was hard for Shelby, she had to say goodbye to the only real friend she had.

“How you holding up,” Stew asked hours later.

“I just want to get out of here.” Shelby responded.

“We’ll only be a few more minutes.” Stew gestured towards the dining room.

“I just mean out of here, this whole town.”

“Five more days kiddo--five more days.” Stew smiled and walked away.

After the long day she had at the funeral, Shelby was awakened from her restless nap by a phone call. Brad was desperate for her to work and she was forced to go.

“Shelby stop lagging, we have customers waiting.” Brad demanded.

“Brad, I could work better if you weren’t always breathing down my neck and yelling at me all the time.” Shelby retorted getting fed up with the constant demands.

Brad stayed quiet for about an hour until she started cleaning the back area.

“Shelby would you stop that and come here, Mindy needs help.” He rolled his eyes and sighed.

“You can do it for me you’re not doing anything but bitching at me anyway.” Shelby snapped.

“Just get up here.” Brad said disgusted.

Shel just ignored him and kept cleaning, next thing she knew he was back there glaring at her.

“You better listen to me next time you stupid cow. When I say to do something you better listen.” He came really close to her, making Shelby want to puke.

“You’re going to burst a blood vessel if you don’t calm down.” Shelby replied nonchalantly.

“Aren’t you even listening to me?” Brad came within inches of her and slapped her hard across the face.

“Back off dammit, what did I ever to do you? I’ve had the day from hell. I had my best friend’s funeral today, you called and begged me to work because YOU needed me and now I have to come here and listen to you rag on me. Another thing if you ever touch me again, I’ll report you and press charges. I’m going to home now and you’re going to fend for yourself.” Shelby was red with tears falling down her face.

Brad backed away with his palms warding her off. His face was white as a sheet, realizing what he’d done.

Shelby walked past him, clocked out then slammed the door on the way out. Getting into her car, Shelby did something rare, she turned on the radio.

Shelby didn’t like listening to most music. It all represented things she’d never experienced and truthfully it kind of depressed her. There was only one song she truly liked by a pop group.

Gone was the song. She could totally relate. Everything she’d ever loved had been ripped away”gone.

Just then that very song came on the radio. She turned it up and let her tears flow freely.

It seemed to her that nothing was going right in her life. No one loved her, no one cared about her. Today was the worst in a long time. It started with Marc’s funeral, work, and brad hitting her. At this moment the best thing to her was to go home sleep and never wake up.

Going home and to bed was the first thing she did. She picked up her journal and a pen.

Tuesday, May 21, 2002

Today was the worst day of my life, we had Marc’s funeral this morning. I felt everyone’s eyes on me, condoning me. I could just hear the comments, there goes that fat girl. I’m sick of fat. Nobody likes me, I have no friends, sometimes I’m pretty sure no one would miss me if I was gone.

It’s not fair, some people have everything and I get nothing. I am so fed up with my life. Only 5 more days until I’m out of here forever.

Wow-Marc left me a really nice car and $5,000. I have the money in a safe place and the car is at their house until I leave on Sunday.

Brad slapped me at work. I was so mad and sad that I kind of told him off then left. I don’t think I told you that I got the Orlando apartment and then I’ll be out of here. I’ll never come back-not ever. Got to go the dragon is calling.

“Shelby get down here.” Alice shouted.

“I’m asleep.”

“If you’re asleep then you wouldn’t have said anything, now get down here.”

Shelby rolled her eyes, sighed, then slowly made her way downstairs.

“You bellowed?” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“Shut up, there’s someone here to see you.” Alice gestured toward the kitchen.

Shel curiously walked into the kitchen then stopped halfway sighing when she saw who it was.

“Did you come here to harass me some more or what?” Shelby snapped.

“I just stopped by to apologize. I realized I had no right to treat you like that. I was just angry at everything and took it out on you. My girlfriend just broke it to me that she’s pregnant with my best friend’s kid. Please forgive me Shelby.” Brad apologized.

Shelby studied his eyes, looking for any hint of mockery, but found nothing but sincerity.

“I’m sorry to hear that,” she responded finding herself feeling pity.

“I couldn’t believe it. I just wanted to kill him.” Brad inhaled deeply then sighed.

Shel didn’t say anything, she just watched him struggle with an inner battle. He stood about 5’11, had brown hair gelled to perfection, brown eyes with small silver glasses. He was cute but had a bad attitude.

“I better get going, I’ll see you at work tomorrow.” Brad told her, looking lost.

“Ok, good luck with everything.” Shel motioned.

“Thanks everything is just all going at once, it’s just confusing.” Brad answered desponded.

“It’ll work out Brad, just keep up the faith.” Shelby assured him.

“Walk me to my car.” Brad opened the door and let her go first.

“What did you want?” Shel asked when they’d closed the door.

“I wanted to ask you who the old bat was that kept staring at us.” Brad visibly shuddered.

“That was Alice, she’s the bitch we’re supposed to call mom.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“Isn’t she your mother?” Brad asked curiously.

“Oh hell no, my mother died when I was 10. I got put in foster care and this is where I’m stuck.” Shelby explained.

“Aren’t you 18? You should be able to leave.” Brad observed.

“I know, but I didn’t have any where else to go to finish school, but I’m out as soon as I can Sunday morning.” Shelby smiled at the thought of her freedom.

“Where ya headed?” Brad inquired.

“Orlando, I want nothing to do with this state,” Shelby shuddered.

“We’ll miss you at work.” Brad smiled.

“Yeah, who will you get to yell at,” Shelby smirked.

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that. I won’t yell at you anymore.” Brad looked down guiltily.

“Hey it’s ok. At least you’re nice now. I mean most people are rude all the time.” Shelby sighed.

“You know, Shelby, you’re a really sweet person. I’m glad I got a chance to talk to you. If you ever need to talk to someone or need something, look me up. But I got to go, c’mere.” Brad gave her a quick hug then got in his car and left.

“Well, that was interesting.” Shelby sighed then walked back inside.

She avoided Alice at all costs then went to bed.

“Shelby Lynn, get your ass out of bed and get to school. Your principal says you’re 10 minutes late.” Alice woke her up early.

“What?” Shelby whispered confused.

“Now Shelby,” Alice yelled.

Shelby got up and dressed in record time then drove to school. As soon as she walked in the door, she was ambushed.

“What took you so long, you’re late.” Tyler glared at her.

“Excuse me?” Shelby asked confused.

“Hello, graduation practice, we’ve been waiting for you.” Rod added.

“Oh, don’t you think you’re cool, sorry to burst you’re moment but nobody told me.” She rolled her eyes.

“You’re giving a speech you’re supposed to know these things.” Geri, a girl in her class replied rudely.

“Well excuse me if they didn’t tell me. If we have practice why didn’t you guys like do something?” Shelby pointed out.

“Because we were waiting for you freak.” Jeremy answered.

“Well I’m here now. So why don’t we start or something.” Shelby gestured.

“We have to wait for Mrs. Kaylor. She went to check on something.” Geri remarked.

“Whatever.” Shelby ignored them all and sat on the bleachers in the gym.

The class followed her and sat down as well.

“So, Shelby, what’s your speech about?” Geri pretended to be interested.

“Like you care,” Shelby answered.

“What the hell is your problem bitch?” Tyler smacked the back of her head.

“You are my problem.” Shelby answered staring straight ahead.

“Well no one talks to my girlfriend like that and gets away with it.” Tyler sneered grabbing her hair.

“Sorry to disappoint you but your girlfriend is a slut.” Shelby pointed out.

“So what if she’s a slut, at least she can get some. Unlike you, who couldn’t get someone even if you offered to pay. You’re just a fat cow who doesn’t have any friends-ya loser.” Tyler growled pulling her hair harder.

“Fuck off Tyler,” Shelby turned around and spit in his face.

The moment she did that the whole gym got quiet, waiting for Tyler’s reaction. He really shocked everyone by walking away and sat by Geri.

“Ok everyone, line up alphabetically in the hallway. The band is setting up so hurry up.” Mrs. Kaylor took over and everyone wandered into the hallway.

She explained how they would walk in according to the music.

“Let’s take it from the top.” The band played and they rehearsed it a few times.

“Shelby get up there and practice your speech.” Mrs. Kaylor suggested.

“Actually I was in a hurry this morning and I don’t have it with me.” Shelby looked away sheepishly.

“Oh, ok. That’s all right. Just make sure and practice at home. Make sure you’re here at 7:30 Saturday night in the history room.” Mrs. Kaylor smiled then walked off.

Shelby walked through the halls one more time in reminiscence then headed out. She saw a figure standing by her car she thought about what she’d said and done to Tyler and began to get nervous. A few feet away from the car she relaxed.

“What are you doing here? Didn’t you know that it’s un-cool for college students to show up at high school?” Shelby told him.

“Hey Shelby. Do I look like I care besides people like me, it doesn’t matter.” Brad turned around and smiled.

“Ok then, what brings you to this neck of the woods?” she asked curiously.

“I was driving by and I thought I’d stop and say hey.” Brad replied.

“Really, you just so happened to be here right now? Brad what did you want?” Shelby smirked.

“Ok, I was wondering if you wanted to work a few extra hours tonight.” Brad glanced away sheepishly.

“Why? Today is Tuesday, Tuesdays are never busy.” Shelby looked at him skeptically.

“Ok, you got me. I had to work extra hours and I was just kind of hoping we could I don’t know talk or something.” Brad shrugged.

“Why are you suddenly being so nice? If this is about yesterday, I told you it was ok.” Shelby reassured him.

“It’s not that, after talking to you last night, I was intrigued. I just wanted to get to know you better.” Brad confessed.

“I’m leaving Sunday.” Shelby reminded him.

“I know, it’s just”I don’t know.” Brad shrugged again.

“Tell ya what, if I’m not doing anything I’ll come, what time?”

“You’re scheduled to work 7-12, but if you want you can come in at 5.” Brad replied.

“Ok, I might be there and I might not.” Shel smiled then got into her car.

“See ya tonight.” Brad smiled.

“Later.”

Brad got into his car and grinned. He dialed a number in his cell phone and waited for them to pick up.

“Yeah, it’s Brad I think we’re all set. Possibly 5 but 7 for sure. Ok, thanks, you bet.”

Brad hung up the phone and started his care, smiling at his reflection. Pulling out he tried to ignore the gnawing feeling in the pit of his stomach. He watched Shelby’s car drive down the road and felt a slight pang of regret.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story