The rest of the trip to New York went very quickly and smoothly. They hadn't started any of the counseling as they were still getting to know each other better.
Shelby was most comfortalbe with Joey and to her surprise, Justin. He was always making sure she didn't need anything and if she was feeling down, he'd try to make her feel better.

Justin was a mystery to Shelby, one minute he was telling her she was nothing and the next he was one of her best friends. She knew he'd been hurt really bad by his break up, but he never talked about it. He was holding his feelings inside which Shelby knew was never a good thing.

Sunday, June 15, 2002

"I have no idea what to pack." Shelby sighed in frustration as she threw a shirt on her bed and sat down next to it.

"Just pack all your clothes." Aimee suggested.

"I don't have many clothes that I actually wear." Shelby flopped onto her back as she put her hands over her face.

"Well what do you have?" Aimee asked her.

Shelby sat up and thought for a moment before answering, "I have about six outfits that I actually wear."

"That's it? Oh, that won't do. I'm going to take you shopping." Aimee said as she grabbed her phone.

"But--"

Aimee cut her off with a finger up in the air telling her to hold while she dialed a number.

"Hello, can you meet me at the mall? He is? Okay, bring him with. All right, I'll see you there. Okay, bye."

"Who was that?"

"You'll see soon enough, come on let's go."

"I can't afford this Aimee."

"Shelby, relax you need new clothes. Oh, I love this song!" Aimee said turning up the radio.

A few minutes later they were walking into the mall where they first went to Jacob's Well, a popular coffee bar.

"Order what you want." Aimee said after she'd placed her order.

Shelby studied the menu, not having ever had gourmet coffee before, she was clueless.

"Might I make a recommendation." the girl behind the counter asked brightly.

"Sure," Shelby Smiled then read her name tag. "Thank you Leeann."

"I recommend a 20 oz iced peppermint mocha. They are so good, my absolute favorite." Leeann suggested.

"That sounds good." Shelby nodded.

"What did you get?" a male voice asked her from behind.

Shelby turned around to find a strange man towering over her. "Ex..excuse me?"

"What did you get?" he asked again.

"Here you are, one iced peppermint mocha." Leeann smiled as she handed her the drink.

"How much do I owe you?" Shelby questioned.

"Nothing, it's on the house." Leeann waved her off.

Before Shel could take the drink, it was snatched from behind. Shelby whirled around to see who it was. The man from before. Her eyes widened when he took a sip.

"That's pretty good, sweets." he said handing it back to her.

Shelby had no idea what to say so she just stood there staring at him. That's exactly how Aimee found her moments later.

"Hey Shelby, you comin?" She asked then turned toward the man. "There you are, Joey didn't know where you went."

Shelby looked between Aimee and the stranger a few times and wondered how Aimee knew him. Just then he lowered his sunglasses and winked at her.

Seeing who it was, Shelby visably relaxed then lightly smacked him in the stomach. "Very funny."

"You should have seen your face." Justin leaned down and whispered in her ear.

Shelby felt goosebumps on her skin and a flutter in her stomach that only lasted a moment.

"Next time you walk away, at least let someone know." Joey said smacking Justin upside the head.

"But then I wouldn't have had so much fun scaring Velma here." Justin said as he put an arm around her shoulders.

"Velma?" She said looking at him.

"Yeah, you know. Velma. From Scooby Doo."

"Um. Okay."

Shelby ignored the fluttering in her stomach that returned only when he touched her and said hello to Joey.

"So y'all ready?" Aimee asked the group."

"Yep." Joey said linking arms with Shelby on her other side and Aimee on his other side.

Shelby followed Joey's lead and put her arm through Justin's being careful for her drink. She started giggling when she thought of something then started singing. "We're off to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of oz. We hear he is a whiz of a wiz if ever a wiz there was. If ever oh ever a wiz there was the wizard of oz is one because, because because because because because because because, because of the wonderful things he does."

After Shelby started, the others joined in. The bodyguards behind them just shook their heads and chuckled.

Shelby took a drink from her mocha and her eyes widened. "Mmm, that's awesome." she looked up at Justin and smileed.

"It's good isn't it." Justin said returning her smile.

Joey nudged Aimee to look over at the younger couple and when Aimee saw them she looked at Joey and nodded.

"They're so into each other." Aimee whispered.

"This is going to be an interesting tour."

"So where we goin?" Shelby asked.

"Well, we will go to your beloved Hot Topic, but I also want to stop and get you some girly clothes. You pull off the 'I'm a bad ass punk chick' well, but there are days you might want to look cute." Aimee answered.

"I don't do cute." Shelby whined.

"Well, we don't have to get much. But you have to at least try some cute outfits." Aimee said as she led Shelby into American Eagle.

Shelby tried to walk out but was stopped by Justin who still had her hand captured under his arm.

"I'm too big for this store." Shelby whispered loudly. "Everyone is giving me dirty looks."

"Shelby, don't start. You'll be fine. What size are you?" Aimee asked looking through a rack.

"I'm an 18." Shelby replied feeling embarassed, wanting to do nothing more than crawl in a hole.

Aimee walked up to the register and smiled at the cashier. "Excuse me, whats the biggest size you carry?" The woman looked at Shelby then back at Aimee and squinted her eyes. "We don't have her size."

"That's not what I asked." Aimee said getting in her face.

"The biggest we have here is size 15." the woman rolled her eyes and sighed loudly.

"Listen, you don't need to be rude about it." Aimee glared at her then walked away.

Shelby flet the comment, but tried to ignore it as she downed almost half of her mocha.

Justin gave her hand a supportive squeeze and Joey gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Next stop was Old Navy where they got the same answer. They tried several other stores where the answer was still no. They all stopped at size 15. By the time they reached their fifth store, Shelby was near tears.

Aimee was sure that Deb would have her size as they walked in. She walked up to the counter and smiled when she saw that it was an assistant manager.

"Excuse me, I'm looking for some clothes for my friend there and I was wondering if you carry size 18."

The clerk smiled at her and then Shelby. She walked over to Shelby and looked her up and down. "We don't have anything for you. Get out of here."

"Excuse me?" Shelby asked.

"You heard me, I don't have your size and you're not welcome here. Get out."

Shelby felt the tears surface as her whole body went numb.

"Where do you come off? She has done nothing to you, why do you have to treat her like that." Justin snapped.

Shelby heard Justin stick up for her through her fog and that pushed her over the edge. She turned into him and started crying silently.

Justin put his arm around Shelby's waist and proceeded to guide her out of the store. He said something to Joey and Aimee then walked with Shelby to a private lounge area.

The minute they were alone Shelby started crying harder and louder. Shelby felt Justin's arms wrap around her and she turned completely into his embrace and hung on for dear life.

"Why does everyone hate me." She whimpered after she'd calmed down some.

"Shelby, my dear, don't let them get to you. People these days are told by the media to be perfect and to hate those who aren't perfect. If they could see the real you they'd see what they were missing. What I see is a beautiful young woman who is caring and has a heart of gold." Justin said as he gently wiped away her tears with her thumbs.

"But it hurts so much." Shelby said tearing up again.

"Shelby, baby, please don't cry." Justin said looking into her eyes.

"I'm sorry." She whispered looking back at him.

"I do have a suggestion for you and pleae don't take this the wrong way." Justin searched her face. Shelby nodded her head and sniffled her nose.

"When I go on tour I have a personal trainer and if you want you can join my work outs." Justin held his breath hoping she wouldn't hit him or be mad for suggesting it.

Shelby felt the butterflies again as she looked into his crystal blue eyes finding nothing there but truth. She smiled and put her hand on his cheek then leaned in to peck his other cheek.

Justin just smiled and tried to ignore the tingling in his cheek from where she'd kissed him.

Shelby was feeling the same thing. Not having ever experienced these feelings before, didn't know what to do.

"Well, lets go meet Aimee and Joey at Hot Topic." Justin said as he got up.

Shelby grabbed the hand that he'd held out to her and got up. She was more than content when he didn't let go until they spotted Joey and Aimee.

"You all right?" Joey asked Shelby.

Shelby nodded her head and stepped into his open arms.

"We're going to do things a little different this time. We're going to pick out your clothes while you wait in the dressing room. After you try things on, come out and we'll decide." Aimee said as she led them into the store.

"But--"

"No, but's" Justin stopped her.

"Joey?" Shelby looked to him for support.

"In you go." he asnwered opening the door to the dressing room.

Shelby sighed in defeat and walked into the dressing room.

The first thing they had SHelby try on was a short purple and black plaid skirt and a long sleeve black shirt that billowed at the wrists.

"Shelby, come out." Aimee asid after she'd been in there a good five minutes.

"No."

"Come on Shel." Joey pleaded.

"No way. This looks bad."

"Velma, please." Justin added.

They heard a small sigh just before the door opened and Shelby shyly stepped out.

"This is way too short. I'm too big for this." Shelby whined.

"You look great Shelby, that is so cute on you." Aimee said as she walked in a circle around her. "What do you guys think?"

"I like it." Joey agreed.

"You look amazing Shelby. You still look all bad, but you also look cute." Justin nodded and smiled at her.

Shelby seemed to be okay with it after Justin's approval while Joey and Aimee both made a mental note of it.

"All right, that means ew can get more skirts." Aimee clapped her hands together and looked around. "Go back in Shelby, we'll bring more."

They did indeed get more skirts. A red and black one similar to the first with a black Sugarcult shirt to go with it. Next they picked a black and yellow pleated skirt with a black tank top with yellow fishnet arms and on the front in neon colors it had a picture and said "Blondie".

They got a black skirt with pink pleats and a pink shirt like the black flowy one. Shelby continued to protest they were too short, but everyone disagreed, but did please her with other choices.

They picked a black knee length skirt that was jagged around the bottom falling in different layers underneat which was red mesh and to go with that they picked out a black shirt with red fishnet sleeves.

Next choice was a black and red dress that stopped just above her knees. Shelby insisted that it made her look fatter, but the others wouldn't hear of it and the dress was kept.

"Guys are we done yet?" Shelby asked getting sick of trying on clothes.

"We haven't even gotten to the pants yet." Aimee looked at her and shook her head. Shelby sighed as her shoulders wilted once again in defeat.

Next up was a pair of black pants with green straps coming off them with metal loops at the ends, to go with that they got a green Relient K t-shirt.

They weren't finished with clothes until they'd gotten three more outfits. Another pair of black pants with purple straps and a harry potter shirt to go with it. A pair of black pants with a Nightmare Before Christmas t-shirt. The last outift they got was a pair of black pants with pink straps and a pink carebears shirt.

They picked out a pair of three inch, knee high boots that had laces in the front and back as well as a zipper on the side. For an added effect they got several different colored shoe laces. They also got a pair of boots similar to the ones Shelby got with Robert and Lois but these went all the way to her knees.

Hightop Converse's were also on the agenda for Shelby's new wardrobe. They picked out a pair of black, red, pink, purple, and green ones.

Accessories were another easy find. They nabbed numerous small rubber bracelets in different colors. They grabbed some other bracelets and a few new chokers. By the time they ewre finished, they'd spent a few good hours and Shelby was famished.

"Guys, please, I'm starving. Please can we be done. I already can't afford this." Shelby said sitting down in the middle of the store.

"Come on Shelby, we're finished. Go ahead and change back into your clothes and when you're done with those bring them out here." Aimee said pushing Shelby into the dressing room.

Shelby took the clothes off then laid them under the door for Aimee to take.

"Thank you Shelby," Aimee said grabbing the clothes.

"You guys ready to check out?" one of the cashiers asked them.

"Yes ma'am." Aimee nodded.

"Here, I'll grab some of that." the cashier said grabbing some of they're pile.

They walked over to the counter where everything was rang up.

"How are you paying for this?" Justin asked Aimee.

"I've got money." Aimee shrugged.

"I'll pay for it." Justin offered.

"So will I, let's go half." Joey said to Justin.

"Wait, what about me?" Aimee asked feeling left out. "You pay for lunch, and we're even." Justin asnwered before signing the receipt.

"Can we get as few bags as possible?" Aimee asked the girl. "Sure thing."

Joey went to take the many bags out to the car before Shelby came back out.

"Where do you wanna eat?" Aimee asked when Shelby came out.

"Sammy's Pizza." Shelby answered. "Let's go." Aimee smiled.

"What about--"

"Don't worry about it." Justin said interrupting her.

Joey caught up to them and they were off to eat.

"Can I help you?" the man behind the counter asked.

"I'll have the spaghetti and garlic bread combo with no meatball or sauce and a slice of cheese pizza." Shelby ordered.

"Damn girl, you are hungry." Joey laughed.

"Is that everything?"

"No, I'll have a slice of pepperoni and a soda." Justin ordered.

The rest of them ordered and as previously decided, Aimee got the bill.

"Guys, what about the clothes." Shelby said as they ate.

"Don't worry about it Shelby, it's been taken care of." Justin said before taking a drink.

"Thank you guys. I will repay you." Shelby smiled shyly.

"You're welcome, now eat up."

The next place they went was Sam Goody. Justin insisted that she have some good music to take with her on tour. There was nothing worse then having nothing to listen to.

They ended up getting her a high tech disc man with headphones similar to the ones they used in the studio. Next thing they found her was a big CD holder that Shelby thought was too big after all she owned about 10 CD's total. Joey told her she would have more by the time they were finished there.

Aimee picked out some pop CD's that she liked while Shelby browsed all the CD's. Aimee picked out all three Nsync CD's, all of Britney's CDs which Justin demanded she put back, and some other ones. Shelby found two Relient K CD's, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Sugarcult--after all she had a t-shirt might as well at least hear what they sound like. She picked out several other ones and then added them to the ones Justin and Joey picked out. They had picked out 25 CD's total then went to pay, Joey and Justin splitting the bill again.

They stayed at the mall for a few more minutes then they headed back so Shelby could pack and move her stuff over to Justin's. JC and Chris were spending the night there as well, so they could all go together in the morning and they didnt trust Shelby to wake up on time.

"You have a nice house." Shelby commented as they drove up.

"Thank you." Justin smiled.

"Justin, is that you? What took you so long. Dinner will be ready in an hour." a female voice sounded as soon as they stepped inside.

Shelby's eyes widened as she took in the sight. It looked very homey and cozy--something that Shelby wasn't used to.

"Oh, hello dear. You must be Shelby. I'm Lynn, Justin's mother." Lynn said as she went to hug Shelby.

Shelby's eyes widened as she stood there not knowing what to do.

"Hello." She replied shyly.

"Well, I'm going to be finishing dinner, you can go in there and join the boys." Lynn smiled and pointed to the living room.

Shelby nodded her head and cautiously walked into the living room. Her eyes grew wide once again as she saw Justin and Chris rolling around on the ground wrestling. She tried to step around them but ended up tripping and falling over them.

JC witnessed her move and started laughing.

"It's not funny." Shelby said rubbing her head where she'd hit it on the coffee table.

"Are you okay?" Justin broke free and came over to sit by her and checked the back of her head where she was rubbing.

"Fine." Shelby nodded.

"Sorry about that." Justin got up then helped her up then went to sit on the couch.

"Padime, my love for you burns stronger every day." Chris said getting on his knees before Shelby who was sitting next to JC.

"Oh, Aniken. Don't talk like that, you musn't." Shelby replied getting into her character.

"But why not? Is it so wrong to love you?"

"Yes, you are a jedi. Jedi's aren't supposed to feel love."

"You're wrong. We can feel love."

"Okay, Chris, enough." Shelby said as Lynn came to the door.

Chris got up and sat down right in Shelby's lap and smiled. "I'd like a pony, and doll and..."

"Chris, I'm not Santa so please get off me." Shelby pushed him off.

"No love." Chris pouted as he went to sit next to Justin.

The rest of the night went really fast and before she knew it, Shelby was in Justin's room trying to sleep as he was sleeping on the couch. Shelby said she'd sleep on the couch but neither Justin or Lynn would hear of it, so here she was. The bed, the room, everything smelled like him. She inhaled the smell and slowly exhaled. She fell asleep with a smile on her face as she thought about her change of feelings for Justin.



You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story