“Hey Justin, are you going out after rehearsals tonight?” Joey asked plopping down on the bus couch.

“I don’t know, I’ll think about it.” Justin replied despondently.

“Come on J you got to snap out of it. If she said she wanted to take a break then that probably means she still loves you, don’t give up buddy.” JC consoled his friend.

“I just love her so much. I can’t believe this is all happening, last I knew we were the happy couple in love but today I’m the heartbroken heartthrob.” Justin shook his head.

“Little modest J?” Joey tried to tease.

“Two and a half years. Did it mean anything to her at all? This might be a little easier if I didn’t love her so damn much. I’m sorry for this guys I didn’t mean to get so sappy.” Justin sighed apologetically.

“Don’t worry about it Justin we’re always here for you.” JC reassured him.

“Where’s Chris? He’s usually in on these little group powwows, Lance too, but he’s sleeping. I heard him snoring earlier.” Justin wondered.

“I think he’s sleeping to.” Joey added.

“Alone I hope.” JC tried to get Justin to smile.

Watching his friend go thru this heartache was hard. Justin blamed himself constantly, beating himself up for nothing. No matter what JC or any of the other guys said, Justin’s feelings stayed the same.

JC figured Britney had her reasons for breaking up with Justin but whatever it was, it was tearing him apart. As far as he knew, she wasn’t exactly seeing anyone else.

For the past two and a half years he’d watched the young couple grow up together, growing much more in love each day. They were the perfect couple, the relationship JC wished every day that he had. They had the Cory and Topanga relationship”the couple everyone envied.

“When do we get done rehearsing to go home for a while?” Chris asked coming into the room.

“Wade thinks everything has to be perfect so I don’t think he’ll even let us near Orlando until next Wednesday.” JC replied.

“Actually I heard that if we do good tonight he’ll spring us tomorrow.” Joey shared his info.

“Are you serious? That would be sweet. A lot of school’s graduation is Saturday and Sunday. It’s better to get done before they get out and then we don’t have to worry about them coming around while we rehearse.” JC observed.

“We’ll still have to worry about it--just not here in Tampa. All next week we practice in Orlando. Wades already got an airplane hanger rented for all next week. After that we head to NYC to start a weeks worth of publicity, then back to Orlando to kick off the tour.” Lance said coming out of the bunk area.

“Dude, that’s a lot of running around.” Joey pouted.

“Get used to it Joe, welcome to the next few months.” Justin gestured.

“Hey guys, did you know that there’s a Kenny Chesney concert tonight?” Lance asked.

“Who’s that?” JC asked.

“He’s like an awesome country singer.” Lance smiled.

“Country, oh please Lance.” Justin rolled his eyes.

“Hey you of all people should have at least some respect for country music, you are from Tennessee.” Lance scolded.

“Yeah whatever,” Justin snapped.

“What does he sing?” Chris asked.

“She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy, and one of his newer songs is Young.” Lance explained.

“That first song was funny.” Joey smiled.

“I wanted to go to the concert, but they were sold out.” Lance frowned.

“Dude, you’re Lance Bass, Nsync member. I bet you could get to the show AND backstage.”

“I’m not going use my name just to get into a Kenny Chesney concert. I’m not that freaking desperate, geez.” Lance shook his head at the thought.

“Who would you use your name to see?” Joey asked curiously.

“If Garth hadn’t stopped touring then him for one, Janet Jackson, No Doubt, P. Diddy, and probably others.” Lance replied.

“Do you think they’d let you in?” Justin wondered.

“Honestly? Probably not, No Doubt would be like who are you again? Janet might let me in. P.Diddy might he’s pretty cool.” Lance chuckled.

“I’d like to see Marilyn Manson in concert, just to see if he’s as scary as he appears to be. Who knows he’s probably a nice guy underneath all that black.” Chris smiled.

“There’s nothing wrong with Manson, he just says it how it is. He’s got some good tunes.” Justin defended.

“You like him?” Chris asked surprised.

“Yeah, I like Dope Show, Beautiful People, Fight Song, Disposable Teens, Last day on Earth-that’s a good song.” Justin smiled thinking about the song.

“I think the guy is just creepy.” JC shuddered.

“I second that dude.” Joey agreed with JC.

“Who would you see JC?” Justin challenged.

“Delirious.” JC grinned.

“Who’s Delirious?” Joey wondered.

“They’re a Praise and Worship band. A fan gave me a CD and I listened to it. They have some awesome songs, one in particular that I like is called Did You Feel The
Mountains Tremble. That was what she recommended.” JC smiled.

“Cool, you’ll have to loan me the CD sometime.” Joey suggested.

“Sure, and who would you see?” JC asked Joey.

“I would absolutely love to see Elton John live. He’s absolutely cool. Especially back when he wore all them crazy glasses.” Joey giggled when he let the memory take
course.

“He’s a really great singer and song writer. I loved the duet he did with Eminem at the ’01 Grammy’s.” JC agreed.

“Justin who would you like to see live?” Lance asked.

“I’d like to see the Spice Girls.” Justin replied sarcastically.

“Really? Me too, that Baby Spice is a hottie.” Joey smirked.

“Ok, but really I’d like to see Whitney Houston. That woman can sing-whooeee.” Justin whistled.

“Wouldn’t you guys like to step out for a second and see how we look in concert?” JC piped up.

“Like you mean to see us through a fan’s perspective?” Lance caught on quickly.

“Yeah, that’s exactly it. Wouldn’t you like to see what we really look and sound like?” JC agreed.

“I don’t know what if we didn’t like us.” Justin replied skeptically.

“I’d just like to see how we sound.” Chris sighed.

“Guys, I’m hungry, let’s go find something to eat.” Justin suggested standing up.

“I’ll definitely second that one.” Joey agreed standing up as well.

They grabbed their sunglasses and headed to the Subway down the street, their bodyguards following a short distance behind.

Justin Timberlake, Joey Fatone, Chris Kirkpatrick, Joshua Chasez, and Lance Bass; 5 of the hottest guys in music, together they made up Nsync

Justin was recently single, his girlfriend of two and a half years, Britney Spears, broke up with him, leaving him heart broken and desolate. He’d always imagined them getting married and having kids. They’d talked about it before and both of them wanted a family.

Justin had met Britney when they were young they were both on the Mickey Mouse Club. They’d been good friends on the show but then had to part ways after the show was cancelled. Justin went back to Memphis, Britney to Kentwood. A few years later Justin was a part of Nsync and Britney Spears was a household name. Britney was an opener for Nsync shows and when they saw each other again there was a strong attraction between them both that either of them could ignore. They hooked up and had been together up until last week. Britney had told him that she needed time to find herself and couldn’t handle a full time boyfriend when she couldn’t ever see him.

They’d parted ways, leaving Justin a walking mess. For some reason he blamed himself. Maybe he wasn’t good enough, maybe she’d found someone else.

The past five days were hard for Justin. He’d snapped at everyone possible for the smallest things. Some people didn’t even know what was going on and just thought he was like that. The people that did know what happened had excused him and sympathized with him.

_________________

Minot-5:00pm

“Hey Shel glad you could make it early.” Brad smiled when she walked in.

“Yeah well I guess I could use the hours.” Shelby shrugged.

“Well, I’m glad you came.” He replied.

Shelby clocked in and got ready for a boring shift.

They didn’t have many customers until about 7, giving Brad and Shel time to talk a little.

“Shel, table 5 is requesting you.” Brad told her.

“Ok, be right there. Here’s your change ma’am, you have yourself a nice day.” Shelby smiled then closed the cash register.

“5?”

“Yeah.”

Shelby walked over to table five with menus.

“Thanks for choosing Denny’s can I take you’re order?”

“We’ll talk a pitcher of water and 3 chocolate shakes.” Tyler said sweetly.

“Ok, I’ll have those right with you.” Shelby gritted her teeth

She shuddered as she walked behind the counter to get their drinks.

She returned several minutes later and set down their beverages.

“Are you ready to order?” she asked holding her pad and pen.

“Yes.” Rod mumbled.

They all ordered and Shel took it back and made sure she stayed back there as long as she could.

“Shelby 5 is asking for you.” Brad’s voice called out.

“Ok, be right there.” Shelby answered loudly.

Shelby splashed water on her face then went to see what they wanted.

“How can I help you?” she asked.

“You can start by cleaning up this mess.” Jeremy gestured.

“What mess?” Shelby asked confused.

“This mess,” Tyler responded pouring his shake over her head. Rod and Jeremy followed but poured theirs on her clothes.

Shelby jumped back then was hit with the water, she was drenched and covered in chocolate shake.

Tyler grabbed her by the hair and slapped her hard across the face a few times then smashed her face into the table causing her to cry out. She slumped to the floor the tears flowing freely.

Brad heard Shelby scream then ran out just in time to see her fall to the ground.

“Get the hell out of here you weren’t supposed to hurt her.” Brad yelled kicking them out.

“Shelby, honey, are you ok?” Brad gingerly touched her back.

“Don’t touch me,” she sniffed.

“Why?” she demanded looking up at him.

He saw blood running from her nose and a small cut on her lip.

“I told them what time you were coming in but I had no idea what they were going do.” Brad replied remorsefully.

“You knew they were planning something?” Shelby whispered the accusation, confusion in her eyes.

“Yeah, but never in my wildest dreams did I ever think it was going be something like this.” Brad answered truthfully.

“Is that why you were trying to befriend me?” Shelby asked, everything starting to come into focus.

“It started out to be, but then I really got to know you.” Brad admitted guiltily.

“I quit, I’m going home and I’m not coming back. Please have my check ready by Saturday. I’ll come get it after graduation.” Shelby stood up and walked out the
door leaving Brad standing there looking at the spot she just vacated.

Shelby went straight home and took a shower. She turned her music on to ‘Last Day on Earth’ by Manson, the only song she owned. She felt the pressure begin to build as the tears fell freely once more. She dug around until she found the small razor blade she pressed the cool blade to her skin and slid across a long line. She repeated this several times and watched the blood appear and began to feel relief while listening to what had become her theme song. It was one of the few slow songs Manson sung, her absolute favorite song. She felt the lyrics were related to her.

_______________

Back in South Florida

“Come on Justin, focus. This is your time, you live for the stage, give it your all.” Wade called out.

“It’s rehearsal Wade, chill.” Justin grinned, his stage presence filling his body.

“If it’s just rehearsal why did that glow return to your face J-man. Now give it all ya got.” Wade clapped.

“Hey what about us, we’re members of Nsync too.” Joey pouted playfully.

“Ok Joey, you asked for it. Joseph Fatone, you need to fix your sloppy dancing. Fix those arm locks and everything else needs work too.” Wade smirked sarcastically.

“Ok, Robson, I get the point. But hey if I do awful you can take my place right? Pop star yourself.” Joey winked.

“Ok guys lets take it from the top.” Wade cued the music and Girlfriend sounded thru the speakers.

Practicing for their upcoming tour was an ongoing responsibility. They had to have everything just right. Granted, every show would be a show of it’s own but they
needed to practice their routines and the way the show would run. Next week back in Orlando, they’d practice costume changes and the whole nine yards.

“Ok guys, good job, that’s all for tonight. We’ll be leaving sometime tomorrow. I think you guys are doing great. We won’t have to worry about distractions because we got most of the kinks worked out.” Wade smiled, dismissing the now rambunctious gang.

“Free!” Joey shouted running around the stage.

“Joey, calm down.” JC chuckled.

“Ack, you’re no fun.” Joey said jumping up and down.

“Whatever man.” JC responded.

“Hey Justin, your phone’s ringing.” Chris pointed to his ringing bag.

Justin ran to his bag and answered his phone.

“Hello?”

“Hello Mr. Timberlake, this is John from BOP magazine, is it true that you and Britney broke up?” the man demanded rudely.

“Excuse me sir, but it’s none of your business, don’t call back.” Justin hung up his phone and ran his fingers thru his hair.

“You ok man?” JC asked coming up behind him.

“I’m so sick of this Britney shit. That was a reporter they all want to know what happened. I just want peace.” Justin sighed loudly.

“Get a new cell phone number and don’t give it out to anyone but close friends and family.” JC suggested.

“That sounds like a good idea. I’ll stop by when we get home.” Justin agreed nodding.

“Are you doing anything tonight?” JC asked changing the subject.

“I don’t know, what are the rest of y’all doing?” Justin wondered.

“We’re all going out. You’re welcome to come if you’d like.” JC offered.

“Yeah, I think that’ll be ok.” Justin agreed.

“Ok good to hear, maybe you’ll even meet someone.” JC watched his friends face, just waiting for a reaction.

“I doubt it, most girls don’t want me they want him.” Justin grimaced, gesturing to the stage.

“You’re the same person.” JC pointed out.

“No, they don’t want Justin, they want Justin Timberlake. That’s why Britney was so different, she knew me before she knew Justin Timberlake. I swear man, next
time I mention her smack me. I’ll never get over her if I keep talking about her.” Justin told JC.

“I’ll make sure of it.” Joey bounced up very hyper.

“Heh heh Joey thank you.” Justin glanced at his friend.

“So are you coming out with us tonight, J-man?” Joey asked slinging his arm around the younger mans shoulder.

“I guess, is Kelly going be there?” Justin asked curious about Joey’s girlfriend.

“Yeah, her mom’s babysitting Brianna tonight. Poor Kel needed a break she’s been doing it alone. I feel horrible for not being there enough.” Joey answered ruefully.

“Yeah, I know that feeling.” Justin shrugged feeling the emotions thicken.

“You and I are kinsman J. We have to stick together.” Joey rubbed Justin’s curls and smiled.

“You keep her Joey, never let her go.” Justin smiled wistfully.

“Thanks J. What do you say we get out of here?” Joey told the whole group.

“I’m all for it.” Chris clicked his heels and lead the pack out the door.

“The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire.” JC chanted on the way to the bus.

___________________

(Minot)

“Yesterday was a million years ago all my past lives I played an asshole…now we’re damaged provider modules I know they want me dead. I know it’s the last day on earth. We’ll be together while the planet dies. I’m so empty here without you. It’s the last day on earth.” Shelby quietly sang along, staring straight ahead, her mind wondering aimlessly. She picked up her journal and opened it up.

May 22, 2002

It’s me again. Why do I even bother? This world is so morbid, this utopia I’ve imagined in my mind seems to be nonexistent. I sit here and listen to Last Day on Earth and realize this very well could be my last day on earth. What if even God doesn’t like me? He could strike me dead at any time. Put me out of my misery.

I heard a song once, ‘Why have you forsaken me, in my eyes forsaken you, in my life forsaken me’ have I been forsaken? Did I commit some cardinal sin that I’m now paying for? I trusted Brad, I thought he was really nice. He just used me, have I been forsaken? My mom left me when I was 10. Maybe that man who was my step father made me sin. What is sin really? I don’t know God I’ve never been given a chance. Mom used to be such a wonderful woman. She’s my angel she’s in heaven watching over me.

Hi mom. I’m sorry for being a failure. I have to go, my song is skipping and I have to sleep 4 more days. Please mom, if you’re out there, I pray send me a miracle”before it’s too late.


Shelby put away her journal and shut out her light. She let the tears fall and cried herself to sleep.

_______________

(South Florida)

“Hurry up Justin! We’re going to be late.” Joey called impatiently.

“It’s not like we’re on a time schedule.” Justin said fixing his hair.

“Whatever Justin, listen to my man when he talks.” Kelly wrapped an arm around Joey’s waist.

“Ok Kelly, I’m done anyway. You guys are so cute together.” Justin smiled at the couple.

“Thanks Justin, we better jet, the others are probably starting to pace the floor.” Joey smirked.

They laughed and headed downstairs. To their amusement JC and Chris were both pacing the floor in anticipation.

They arrived at the packed club about 20 minutes later, making it in by the tip of their fingers. The bouncer stopped accepting people after the last one went thru the doors.

“This is awesome.” Kelly shouted to be heard.

“Yeah baby, let’s go dance.” Joey answered.

They all left their things by the table and went onto the dance floor.

The song was Cowboy by Kid Rock. Everyone in the place was on the dance floor hanging out the way they knew how, dancing without caring about anyone else.

“Dance with me Justin.” Kelly demanded about an hour later.

“I don’t want to.” Justin grunted.

“You’ve been moping around her at the table ever since they played ‘Slave’. Now get up and dance with me.” Kelly dragged him onto the dance floor as Haddaways
‘What is Love’ came on.

“What is love, baby don’t hurt me.” Kelly sang along as she danced around Justin who wasn’t cooperating very well.

Justin was starting to loosen up and get into it when Right Said Fred’s ‘I’m Too Sexy’ came on.

“I’m too sexy for my shirt, to sexy for my shirt, so sexy yeah.” Justin sang loudly getting into it.

“Alright, work it Justin.” Joey laughed dancing with them.

“I’m a model you know what I mean.” JC watched on as Justin sang and danced to ‘I’m Too Sexy’. His young friend was acting like the Justin they all knew and
loved.

“You want to dance?” a girl asked Justin softly.

“Sure.” Justin smiled.

To Justin’s dismay ‘Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman’ came over the speakers. He tried to appear nonchalant but the girl seemed to sense something was wrong.

“Are you ok?” she asked carefully.

“Yeah, I’m sorry.” Justin straightened up and stiffly danced with her, looking everywhere but at her.

Justin walked back to the table and sat down. He took a long swig of water and sighed.

“You really need to get a grip Timberlake. You scared off that poor girl.” Justin raked his fingers thru his hair.

“Justin what’s up?” JC asked sitting next to him.

“There was a really nice girl who asked me to dance and we danced to ‘Not a Girl’. She knew something was wrong, but I’m pretty sure she knew who I was. I
could see the recognition in her eyes. I’ve got serious problems man.” Justin sighed.

“Justin you’re not going to heal overnight. Just give it time. Go for a while without thinking about her and if you ever need to talk you know where to find me.” JC
sipped his lime water and left it open for Justin to talk to if he wanted.

“Thanks bro,” Justin nodded.

“I do what I can.” JC smiled.

“I’m going get out of here.” Justin said getting up.

“Ok, later J. We’re just camping out on the bus tonight.” JC explained.

“Ok, I’ll see ya.” Justin got up and walked out.

“Hey Justin,” Mike walked with him.

“Hey Mike,” he mumbled.

“Making my job more difficult for me?” Mike chuckled.

“Yeah, I wanted to leave early.” Justin shrugged.

“It’s ok man.”

They walked in silence the rest of the way back to the bus.

“Night J.” Mike stopped.

“Night, Mike.” Justin walked up the steps Mike closed the door behind him.

Justin changed into some sweatpants with a big sweatshirt over a white wife beater. He lay on his bunk and stared up at the ceiling. He looked at the time 10:30 he
dialed the numbers and prayed she’d be up still.

“Hello?” the voice answered.

“Hey mom,” Justin closed his eyes.

“What’s wrong honey?” Lynn asked knowingly.

“I miss her something bad.” Justin answered.

“I’m sorry honey,” Lynn sympathized with him.

“I just miss hearing her voice. I mean I could call her up anytime and talk to her for hours. Now I can’t even call her.” Justin let the tears he’d been holding all day fall
freely.

“It’s all part of growing up honey it’s like high school relationships you can’t expect that to last forever. You’ve practically been in love with her all your teenage
years.” Lynn reminded him.

“Not really.”

“Well you’re 21 and you’ve been with her sine you were almost 19. These are your most critical years. Just keep you’re chin up sweetie and remember I’m always a
phone call away.” Lynn offered.

“I know mom, thanks. I really appreciate ya letting me vent like that. But what’s new with you?” Justin changed the subject.

“Not a whole lot. Oh, I was meaning to tell you about something I got in the mail today. It’s called celebritherapy. They send someone out with a celebrity to learn and to recover from whatever their problem is. If you signed up they’d send someone on tour with you guys. You’d work with them and try to get them out of their problems. You could really help someone Justin.” Lynn explained the best she could.

“That actually does sound kind of interesting, keep that thing, I’ll read it when we get home tomorrow.” Justin answered clearly intrigued.

“Will do, what time will you be here?”

“I’m not sure. Wade said we’ll leave sometime in the morning.” Justin yawned.

“You sound tired honey. I’ll let you go, goodnight.” Lynn smiled.

“Thanks mom, love you night.” Justin hung up the phone and flipped on his bunk light.

Above him were pictures of him and Britney. He smiled wistfully and gingerly touched one. For the first time he realized he had to get over her. He carefully took them down and put them under his pillow for the time being.

He rolled over and hoped sleep would be soon to come.

“Justin wake up, you sleepy head.” A voice shouted into his oblivion.

“I’m still sleeping, go away.” Justin mumbled rolling over.

“We’re home. It’s noon and we’re back in Orlando. I guess you can sleep if you’d like.” JC smirked.

“Home?” Justin sat up.

“Yeah, we didn’t want to wake you when we left this morning.” JC gestured and shrugged.

“Cool. Do we have the rest of the day off?” Justin asked putting all his stuff together.

“Today’s Thursday?”

“Yeah, why?” JC wondered.

“No reason, just making sure.” Justin grabbed everything then exited the bus.

“Hey honey,” Lynn hugged him before he even realized she was there.

“Hey mom, my hands are kind of full.” Justin said from under his pile of blankets, pillow, and his duffel bag.

“Sorry, the cars around the corner, and your dad dropped of the monsters today. Hey JC! How you doing,” Lynn smiled hugging the young man she’d long considered a son.

“I’m doing ok, little worried about Justin though. He withdraws too much.” JC shrugged.

“Yeah, I figured that would happen.” Lynn sighed loudly.

“We’ll all get through it Lynn. Everything’s going to be ok.” JC assured her.

“Thanks JC. Are you coming to the house for supper?”

“What are you having?”

“You ask me that every time and every time I say food. Hasn’t changed any, we’re having food.” Lynn smiled.

“You know I’ll be there Lynn.” JC leaned down and kissed her on the cheek.

“See you Jace.”

“Mom, hurry up.” Justin called.

“Coming,” Lynn waved to the other guys then walked towards the vehicle.

“What do you want for supper?” she asked Justin on their way.

“Don’t matter.”

“JC’s coming over.”

“He always does.”

“Can you form a sentence longer than 3 words?” Lynn teased.

“Yeah, I think so.”

“Well, look at that, 4 words. Slow down Justin I can’t catch up.” Lynn tried to get him to smile.

To her dismay he just continued to stare absentmindedly out the window.

“Britney, what did you do to my son.” Lynn thought silently.

“Mom, slow down.” Justin broke her from her reverie.

“Why?”

“Because you’re going 65 in a 45 and there’s a cop trying to pull you over.”

Lynn looked in the mirror and sighed. She pulled over to the side of the road and waited for the officer.

“The reason I stopped you was the fact that you were- hey aren’t you that Nsync guy?” the officer spotted Justin.

“That’s me.” Justin waved.

“Can I have your autograph for my daughter? She’s a big fan.”

“Sure, what’s her name?” Justin smiled.

“Stephanie.” Justin wrote the autograph and handed it to him.

“You folks have a nice day and try to watch the limit next time.” The officer walked off and drove away.

“What just happened here?” Lynn looked out her window then back at Justin.

“I think we just made his day.” Justin smirked.

“Man, Justin, you got to be with me every time I get a ticket.” Lynn laughed.

“If you say so mom. You could always flash a picture of me and ramble on about how great your son was.” Justin suggested.

“Oh yeah, as if,” Lynn rolled her eyes.

“Well you’re no fun.” Justin pouted playfully.

“You need anything before we go home?” Lynn asked.

“Yeah, stop by Cellular One, I need to get a new phone number.” Justin gestured out the window.

“Ok, next stop, Cell One.” Lynn pulled on her imaginary horn hanging from the ceiling.

“You’re crazy mom. How are the brats?” Justin smiled.

“You’re brothers are just as rambunctious as the last time your father brought them. Jon is actually a 3rd grader now. ” Lynn smiled.

“Mom, I knew Jon was in 3rd grade. I picked him up when we were down there.” Justin retorted getting huffy.

“Don’t get your underwear in a bunch, we’re here.” Lynn chided pulling into the parking lot.

“Be back in a few.” Justin got out of the car and walked into the building.

“How may I help you sir?” a young gentleman asked.

“Yes, James, I need a new number.” Justin read the guys nametag.

“Ok, come this way, you just need to fill out a few papers.” James led him to a cubical and sat down behind a desk.

Justin sat down and waited for him to get ready.

“Ok, you just need to fill these out and we’ll put some information in and see if we can’t get you a new number.” James handed him some forms and Justin quickly filled them out.

“I need a private unlisted number. I don’t want anyone to be able to find out unless I give it to them or give permission.” Justin handed him the papers.

“Ok, to get a completely private number it costs $50. Is that ok?” James asked.

“Yeah, sounds good.” Justin nodded.

“Ok, let me just plug all this into the computer and we’ll get you that number.” James went to typing all the info in.

Justin looked around the scantly decorated cube and shuddered.

“No offence dude, but you should really get out of here. This office work would drive my insane.” Justin told him as nice as he could.

“Tell me about it man, the only reason I’m here is to put myself through college.” James agreed.

“Sweet, what’s your major?” Justin asked.

“My major is Criminal Justice and I hope to go into law school.” James answered a smile on his face.

“Awesome, best of luck to you man, look me up if you ever need any help. I’ll do what I can.” Justin offered.

“Ok, thanks. Here’s you’re new number and the $50 will be added to your next bill. Did you want an alias name put behind this number just in case?” James suggested.

“Hey, that’s a good idea.” Justin nodded in agreement.

“Got a name?”

“Um, William Jackson.” Justin shrugged.

“Uh huh, ok…interesting.” James smirked and entered it into the computer.

“Ok, that’s all we need you have a nice day.” James stood up and shook his hand.

Justin walked out to the car and hopped in.

“Did you get your number?” Lynn asked starting the car.

“Yeah,” Justin put his sunglasses on and shrunk down in his seat.

“Going to give it to me?” Lynn glanced at him.

“No mom, I’m going to go the whole tour without talking to you. Of course I’m going to give it to you.” Justin retorted sarcastically.

“Don’t get smart with me young man.” Lynn warned.

“Sorry mom.” Justin said guiltily.

The rest of the ride was made in silence.

“Justin!” the little voices shouted.

“Hey guys, did you have to tackle me?” Justin laughed from beneath the pile.

“Yes.” Steven smiled a toothy grin.

“Well how about letting me up fella’s.” Justin said pushing himself up.

“Justin, guess what!” the little voice on his left asked him.

“What Jon?” Justin whispered back.

“I have a girlfriend.” Jon smiled shyly.

“You do? Does daddy know about this girlfriend?” Justin glanced up at his mother.

“He picks her up everyday on the way to school.” Lynn winked.

“She even likes bugs Justin.” Jon added eyes as big as saucers.

“Those are rare ones, better hold onto her Jon.” Justin kissed his brother on the forehead, his heard swelling with love for his younger brothers.

“I want kiss too.” Steve demanded pointing to his forehead.

“Ok buddy.” Justin grabbed his head and gave him a big wet kiss.

“I’m going to go put my things away, do I have any helpers?” Justin stood up.

“Me, me!” Steven sprung to his feet and puffed out his little chest.

“I’ll take you’re blanket.” Jon volunteered.

“Me take pillow.” Steve grabbed his pillow.

“Fall in line troops, march. Left, right, left.” Justin led them to his room where they helped him unload his things and they all lounged on Justin’s bed and talked about
guy things.

“Justin, JC’s here.” Lynn called hours later.

“Yeah, he’s excited to see me.” JC chuckled several minutes later after Lynn’s call.

“Let’s go see what he’s up too.” Lynn motioned for JC to follow.

The sight before them was enough to bring Lynn to tears. Justin lay sleeping among his brothers who were snuggled against each side.

“Come on Lynn, let’s just go hang out. I don’t have the heart to break this.” JC draped an arm across her shoulder.

“Good idea. They looked so cute.” Lynn sniffed, clearing her eyes.

“They don’t get to see him very often. I bet it’s hard on them.” JC observed.

“Yeah, their father tells me about times when they are crying and hurt they call out for Justin. It tears Justin apart to know he can’t be with them much.” Lynn sighed.

“You need any help with dinner?” JC asked ready to offer assistance.

“Sure, how are you at salads?” Lynn smiled.

“I make a mean salad.” JC rubbed his hands together and smiled.

“Good because it’s all up to you.” Lynn smirked, then gave him all the ingredients.

JC went to chopping vegetables as Lynn began frying chicken breasts. She peeled potatoes for mashing and set them to boil. JC continuing with the veggies Lynn set
the table.

“Will you stir the spuds Jace?” Lynn called from the table.

“Will do. The chicken’s fixin to be turned too.” JC noticed.

“Get them for me will ya?”

JC flipped the chicken then lay out the salad.

“Did you want these in separate containers or all in one bowl?” JC asked.

“Just put everything in one bowl.” Lynn agreed.

“Something smells good, hey JC.” Justin entered the kitchen, his two sidekicks right behind him.

“Hi JC,” Steven whispered hiding behind Justin.

“Hey, Steven, you want to go wash you’re hands? We’ll be eating soon.” JC smiled.

“Come on you trouble makers.” Justin gathered his troops and set out to get washed up.

“I can’t reach.” Steven pointed to the towel hanging inches above his reach.

“Jon, help your bro.” Justin pointed to the towel.

“This looks delicious guys.” Justin said when they’d all sat down to eat.

“Thanks, JC made the salad.” Lynn smirked filling her own and the two youngins plate.

JC and Lynn sent the guys into the kitchen for cleaning up considering they slept thru the preparations.

Justin did most of the work, his arms working faster then their chubby little ones.

“Ok, guys, go see Lynn now.” Justin pointed to the living room.

“Time for bed guys,” Lynn smiled.

“I’m not tired.” Jon yawned.

“Come on fellas, I’ll go tuck you in.” Justin offered.

“Ok, come on Jon.” Steve drug his brother behind him.

They said their prayer’s and had Justin read them a story.

“Goodnight guys.” Justin whispered shutting the light off.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story