Shelby slept in Thursday until way past noon. It was drugged sleep, caused by too many tears. She woke up with a loud bang next door.

“Great.” She whispered opening her eyes.

“Nancy, get out of the shower and get to school.” Alice yelled beating on the bathroom door.

“Go away.” Nancy cried.

“If the school calls I’m not sticking up for you.” With that said, Alice left her alone.

Shelby heard sniffling come from the bathroom and knocked softly.

“Nancy? It’s Shelby, are you ok?” she asked quietly.

“GO away.” She sniffed.

“Open up honey, what’s wrong?” Shel asked.

Nancy opened the door a crack and let her in then locked the door behind her.

“I’m dying.” The tears fell again.

“Why do you say that honey?” Shel inquired trying to stay calm.

“Because I’m bleeding really badly and it hasn’t stopped.” Nancy sighed.

“You’re 12 right?” Shel calculated.

“Yeah.”

“You’re not dying Nancy, you’re just growing up. You got you’re first period. It lasts 5-7 days. Just put a pad on and change your underwear. You might get wicked
cramps, for those you can take Midol or Advil any pain reliever. You want a ride to school?” Shelby explained.

“Yeah, I have a history test today.” Nancy sniffed getting up.

“Meet me outside in 10 minutes.” Shelby stood up.

She changed her clothes and went to start her car.

“Hey, are you feeling at least somewhat better?” Shel asked on their way.

“Yes thanks, I took some Advil and put one of those uncomfortable things. Feels like a damn diaper.” Nancy shuddered.

“Watch you’re language missy.” Shelby warned.

“Sorry Shel, do you ever get sick of Alice?” Nancy asked.

“Goodness, all the time. Here we are. You have a good day in school. Tell you what I’ll pick you up after school and we’ll have a girl’s day out.” Shel smiled.

“Ok, see you later.” Nancy beamed then closed the door.

Shelby realized this was one of the last days she’d have to spend with her foster sister.

She went home and practiced her speech a few times just trying to kill time before she went to pick up Nancy.

Just the phone rang, scaring Shelby to death.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Shel, I’m really sorry.” Brad answered.

“If you were sorry, you wouldn’t have set me up.” Shelby then slammed the phone down.

“What now?” she picked it back up.

“My girlfriend and I got back together.” Brad told her.

“Why would you want her back when she’s pregnant with your friend’s kid?” Shelby asked set a back.

“I love her, she said she was sorry.”

“Are you going take care of his kid too? Brad dump her you deserve better.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“I love her too much.” Brad sighed.

“Thank about this, did she love you when she was in your best friends bed? I don’t want to be mean but you know what they say, ‘once a cheater, always’ a cheater’.”
Shel explained the best she could.

“When you make it sound like that...” Brad added hesitantly.

“It doesn’t just sound like that Brad, it is like that. Don’t let her hurt you again.”

“Thanks Shelby, I needed that.” Shelby could tell he was smiling just by the tone of his voice.

“I got to get going. I’m picking up my sister at school then we’re going to hang out. Imagine that, I’m hanging out with one of them. You know what? She even asked
me if I ever got sick of Alice. That surprised the hell out of me.” Shelby laughed.

“Wow, intense.” Brad agreed.

“See you Brad.” Shelby hung up the phone and grabbed her keys. She went out to her car and pulled up to the school 10 minutes later.

“Hey Shelby,” Nancy got in the car right away slamming the door.

“Hey Nancy, how are you feeling?” Shelby asked.

“Great, Jason looked at me and smiled twice today. I thought I was going die.” Nancy smiled brightly.

“Who’s Jason?” Shel inquired pulling out of the parking lot.

“He’s like the cutest boy in 8th grade.” Nancy beamed.

“Oh, going for the older men huh?” Shelby teased.

“He’s only one grade older.” Nancy dismissed it.

“Yeah, I know, I just had to tease you a bit. So where do you want to go?” Shel glanced at Nancy.

“Lets go chill at the mall, Jason said he might be there with his brother.” Nancy answered quickly.

“Ok, the mall it is.” Shelby turned down the right road and listened to Nancy talk about her crush.

“I haven’t been here in a while, Alice never takes us.” Nancy said getting out of the car.

“Alice is just a bitch who collects money on us.” Shel rolled her eyes.

“Come on.” Nancy walked fast, dragging Shelby who was trying to keep up.

First they went into a few stores just browsing. In Deb, Nancy found a belt she just had to have.

“This is sweet.” Nancy held up a black belt with silver circles.

“You can get it if you’d like.” Shelby suggested.

“Really? Oh my gosh awesome.” Nancy stared at Shelby unbelievingly.

“Of course, you want to get a haircut while we’re here?”

“Could I get it short and spiky? I’d love to dye it pink with black tips.” Nancy beamed.

“Are you punking out?” Shel chuckled.

“Yes, I love that style. They’re some freshmen that wear spiked collars. I think they’re cool.”

Shelby paid for the belt and they headed towards MasterCut for an appointment.

“Do you guys have time for a cut? And by any chance do you have pink hair dye?” Shelby asked.

“Yes, and yes.” The woman smiled.

“OK we’ll take an appointment for dying and a cut.” Shelby told the woman.

“Our next opening is at 4:45.”

“That sounds great, name’s Nancy.” Shelby smiled.

“Did you make it?” Nancy asked.

“Yep, at 4:45 and you get pink spikes.

“No way! Alice would never approve.” Nancy stood jaw dropped shock.

“Alice isn’t here right now, I am. We all have to live a little right?” Shelby replied.

“Why don’t you a live a little Shelby? You should do the same thing to your hair.”

“I don’t know Nancy, who’s to say pinks my color.” Shelby smiled.

“Black, you should dye it black. Go back and make an appointment for yourself.’ Nancy gestured to the shop.

“Ok, you win.” Shelby went back and made an appointment for the same time; cut and die.

“Oh, my gosh, there’s Jason. Walk towards him.” Nancy nudged Shelby.

“Him?” Shel pointed making sure it was the same one she was looking at.

“Yes, isn’t he cute,” Nancy smiled dreamy.

“Uh huh, if you say so,” Shelby nodded absent-mindedly.

“That must be his brother.” Nancy pointed to the guy standing with his back turned.

“Could be,” Shel nodded.

Nancy sat down on a bench a few feet away and pretended not to notice them standing there.

“Why don’t you just go say hi?” Shel wondered looking at him.

“Shel, that would be to obvious.” Nancy retorted.

“If you say so.” Shelby shrugged.

“His brother is in college.” Nancy randomly put out there.

“Kool.” Shelby nodded.

“Yep, he looks cute doesn’t he.”

“He’s got his back turned so I don’t know.”

“Not him, Jason.”

“Sure.” Shelby smirked.

“Shelby?” a masculine voice called her name.

“Oh, my gosh, he’s coming over here.” Nancy nudged Shel.

Shelby looked at the approaching figures and smiled.

“Hey Brad.” She stood up.

“What are you doing here?” Brad asked stopping next to them.

“Just hanging out with my sister.” Shelby gestured to her sister.

“What a coincidence, I’m here with my brother.” Brad smiled.

“Nancy, this is Brad, Brad, Nancy.” Shelby introduced.

“Nice to meet you Nancy, I believe you know my brother Jason.” Brad smiled at the blush Nancy gave.

“Hey Nancy,” Jason smiled.

“Jason.” Nancy nodded.

“So what are you guys doing?” Brad broke the silence.

“We’re getting new hair styles at 4:45 so we’re just hanging out.” Shelby answered.

“What are you getting?” Brad wondered.

“Short and spiky mine pink with black tips, hers black with pink tips.” Nancy answered.

“Wow that should be interesting.” Brad replied hesitantly.

“Hey don’t knock it.” Nancy scowled at him.

“Yeah, live a little bro.” Jason reprimanded.

“Ok.’ Brad held his hands up backing off.

“We were just going to go check out Spencer’s, want to come?” Jason asked Nancy.

“Sure, I’d love to. I got to check out their awesome spiked collars.” Nancy agreed.

“Come on Shel,” Brad nodded towards the kids.

“Sure, why not.” Shel nodded, then fell in line with Brad, keeping their distance behind Jason and Nancy.

“Nancy has quite the thing for Jason.” Shelby whispered discreetly.

“That was kind of obvious but just between me and you, he likes her too.” Brad chuckled.

“Are you serious?” Shelby smiled excitedly.

“Yeah, he was telling me about her in the car.” Brad answered.

“Shelby, oh my gosh, come look at this.” Nancy pointed to a white dog collar chocker with silver spikes.

“Cool,” Shelby answered honestly.

“This would go great with my new hair cut.” Nancy sighed wistfully.

“Pick out whatever you want,” Shelby motioned to the case.

“Awesome.” Nancy bounced and browsed some more.

“You’re just going to let her get anything?” Brad asked surprised.

“Alice doesn’t get her anything. Just look at her clothes. I can afford this one splurge.” Shelby sighed in disgust.

“You don’t like her do you?” Brad asked.

“She’s not a good mother, she shouldn’t be allowed to have foster kids, all she does, is keep the money she gets. She yells at everyone. I’m going be glad to get out of
there. To her I was just a modern day Cinderella. But enough of that,” Shelby explained.

“It’s like 4:30, you might want to wrap this up.” Brad pointed to the clock.

“Nancy, hurry up, we should be getting back soon.” Shel informed her.

“Ok, just let me get an associate over here to get me this chocker.” Nancy looked around.

Suddenly a woman appeared as if being able to read her mind.

“Can I help you guys with something?” she asked.

“Yes, could I get these two chokers?” Nancy pointed to the white one and a plastic, see through, pink one.

“Ok, did you want to pay for this now, or check some other things out?” the woman asked.

“Actually I’ll take that black one.” Shelby surprised everyone by pointing to a black spiky one.

“All right Shel.” Nancy nodded in approval.

“Well, hey if we’re going get similar do’s then we might as well have similar accessories. What do you think is it appropriate for graduation?” Shelby smiled evilly.

“Oh yeah Shelby great grad material.” Nancy snickered.

“Well my hairs going be black and pink anyways might as well go all out right?” Shelby pointed out

“Ok, you girls are crazy.’ The sales lady smiled.

“Thank you, I do try hard.” Nancy gathered the things and set them on the counter.

“Your total is $25.15.”

“For all three?” Shelby asked, expecting the price to be more.

“They’re buy 2 get one free.” She explained putting them in a bag.

“Thanks.” Shelby paid then they headed to Mastercut.

“Hey ladies, what can we do ya for?” the lady behind the counter asked.

“We had a 4:45 appointment.” Shelby answered first.

“Nancy and Shelby?”

“That’s us.” Nancy grinned.

“You guys can go if you want. You don’t have to stick around.” Shelby told Brad.

“No way man, this I got to see.” Brad sat down.

“Ok girls, why don’t you come back here and tell us what you want.” Sally, the hair lady told them.

“Give us short spiky hair, mine pink with black tips, and hers black with pink tips.” Nancy explained.

“Awesome, are you guys punking out?” Andre the guy doing Shelby’s hair asked.

“Just going for different.” Nancy answered.

“Well, all the power to ya.” Andre smiled then set to work on Shelby’s hair.

“Loosing a lot of hair Nancy.” Shelby watched Sally do Nancy’s hair in the opposite mirror.

“So are you.” Nancy smiled.

“Ok, now we’re just going to start putting the dye on. We’ll use these foil pieces to separate the different color tips from the main color.” Andre explained.

They then began painting on the dye all over their head, starting with the roots. 15 minutes later they sat side by side, reading the latest music magazine at the insistence of Andre who thought everyone should be current on music news.

“People actually like those guys?” Nancy shuddered.

“Who?” Shelby asked glancing at Nancy’s magazine.

“Some group called Nsync. They all look like a bunch of pansies.” Nancy showed Shelby the picture.

“Oh, never heard of them.” Shelby shrugged.

“They’re not bad.” Andre filled them in on his own opinion.

“If you say so man.” Nancy flipped the page.

“Now there’s someone who can sing.”

“Who?” Shelby asked.

“Pink. I absolutely love her new song ‘Don’t let me get me’.” Nancy answered showing Shel the picture.

“Is she your inspiration?” Shelby asked picking up on the undercurrents.

“Yeah, her and No Doubt’s Gwen Stefani. Man they rock. I love No Doubt, especially Hey Baby.” Shelby watched Nancy glowing and smiled.

“Let’s take a peek-see to see how our color’s coming along.” Andre removed one of the wrappings and gauged that the color needed to site for like another ten minutes.

“Shelby, what are you going to do after grad?” Nancy asked.

“I’m moving to Orlando. I plan on leaving early Sunday morning.” Shelby answered feeling bored.

“Really? Wow, that’s soon.” Nancy was surprised.

“I can’t take any more shit from the dragon.” Shelby sighed referring to Alice.

“Oh, tell me about it. You know what, I’ve only been living here about 6 months, but she really yells at you a lot.” Nancy noted.

“Yeah, to her I’m modern Cinderella. All she does is yell at me and put me down.” Shelby looked away.

“I wish we could have hung out earlier, you’re kind of cool. When I first came, I thought you kept to yourself all the time because you were really stuck up. I can see
now why you do. All the other kids are mean and they pick on you all the time. I promise I won’t be mean. I think you’re nice.” Nancy smiled sweetly.

“That’s so sweet Nancy. This is fun. I also wish we could have hung out more. Maybe you could come visit me when I move.” Shel suggested smiling.

“That would be fun.” Nancy smiled.

“So what do you think the guys are up to?” Shelby wondered.

“Probably sitting there bored.” Nancy giggled.

“Actually we’re sitting right here watching.” Brad laughed.

Shelby about jumped clean out of her chair, “Holy cow Brad, don’t do that. I about had a heart attack.”

“I could see that.” Brad chuckled.

“When did you guys get back here?” Nancy asked.

“Andre let us come back after they’d cut your hair.” Jason nodded.

“Why didn’t you say anything?” Shelby raised an eyebrow at Brad’s reflection in the mirror in front of her.

“We didn’t want to interrupt your girl talk.” Brad shrugged.

“Ok, girls, why don’t we get this color rinsed out.” Andre and Sally returned.

“Won’t the colors run together?” Nancy asked.

“No, we take out the main first, then when the water runs clear, we’ll take the tip sheets off.” Andre explained getting to work.

“Ack, brr.” Shelby exclaimed when he started to spray her hair under the faucet.

“Sorry love,” Andre replied in his thick French accent.

“Oh, this is going to look great.” Sally smiled rinsing out Nancy’s highlights.

Ten minutes later they had everything rinsed out. They showed the girls how to make their hair spiky with this hair wax/glue.

“Close your eyes girls.” Andre demanded.

Nancy and Shelby closed their eyes as Sally and Andre completed the final touch ups.

“Ok now open your eyes.” Sally told them.

“Oh, my gosh, this looks awesome.” Nancy exclaimed examining her new hair.

Shelby sat there stunned at the transformation that had taken place.

“Wow, Shelby, you look great.” Nancy looked at Shel.

“This is really cool.” Shelby gingerly touched a spike.

“The black really accents the pink.” Andre agreed.

“Shouldn’t it be the other way around? Her hair is black.” Nancy asked confused.

“The black brings out the pink which is why her pink looks brighter then yours.” He explained.

“I get it. You both look sensational.” Brad smiled from behind.

“You’re collars will go great with that look.” Jason nodded appreciatively.

“Thank you. Alice is going flip her lid when she sees us.” Nancy smiled, rebellion in her eyes.

“Who cares about what that old dragon thinks.” Shelby rolled her eyes in disgust.

“Listen to Shelby, it looks awesome. Let’s go eat, on me, to celebrate.” Brad motioned.

“You look great love.” Andre went to the cash register.

“Thanks, how much do I owe you?” Shelby wondered.

“Actually, this ones on the house.” Andre nodded.

“No, we can’t do that.” Shelby said uncomfortably.

“I insist.” Andre added.

“I don’t want you to get in trouble.” Shelby admitted.

“I won’t get in trouble, I own this place. Brad, grab her by the hand and take her out before she insists again.” Andre chuckled.

“Come on Shel,” Brad grabbed her and pulled her out.

“That was insane.” Shelby said walking on a cloud.

“You look great.” Brad nodded.

“Thanks, hey look, they’re holding hands.” Shelby pointed to Jason and Nancy who were holding hands in front of them.

“Well, it’s about time. Speaking of time, it’s already 6. Want to get something to eat?” Brad asked.

“Sure why not.” Shelby agreed.

“Ok, let’s head for the food court. Hey guys food court.” Brad hollered to Nancy and Jason.

Jason nodded and headed in that direction.

“Where do you want to eat?” Brad asked the group.

“Subway.” They all answered in unison.

“Well, Subway it is.” Brad laughed.

“We’re all just psychic.” Nancy winked.

“Yeah, dude people are looking at us funny.” Shelby observed looking around.

“They like our new hair.” Nancy nodded smiling.

“Yeah, they’re all jealous of your success.” Brad expressed exuberantly.

“Uh huh.” Shelby nodded in doubt.

“Hey Brad, you dumped me for her? For this cow?” a girl rudely interrupted them.

“Monique, get this straight. I dumped you because you cheated on me. You slept with my best friend. My BEST FRIEND,” he emphasized. “You’re knocked up with
his kid. Right now I wouldn’t touch you with a ten-foot pole. Shelby’s a better person then you’d ever be. I’d rather be her friend, her slave, than have anything to do
with you. Now please leave me alone.” Brad growled spilling his feelings.

“You’ll regret this Brad. I know you’ll come back.” Monique purred. “Come on Starr, let’s get out of here.”

Shelby watched them leave and felt in the middle. She looked at Brad, then shrunk back.

“Are you ok?” Shelby asked carefully.

“Yeah, I’m sorry about that. I can’t believe she said that. Ugh. She pisses me off.” Brad scowled.

“I’m sorry,” Shelby whispered.

“It’s not your fault Shelby.” Brad sighed.

“Are you guys coming?” Jason asked getting impatient.

“Yeah, hold your horses slugger.” Brad answered.

“Come on.” Shelby grabbed him and led him away from the scene.

They all walked to Subway, Brad slowly calming down. The girl behind the counter had her eye on Brad and he flirted right back. By the time they finished, Brad had a
date.

“Dude, that was awesome.” Jason gave his brother a high five.

“Very smooth Romeo.” Shelby smirked.

“Man. She so wanted you,” Nancy opened her sub and started chowing down.

Finished eating, they decided to go to The Rookie, starring Dennis Quaid.

“Dude, that movie was way better then I thought it was going to be.” Nancy exclaimed walking out of the theatre.

“True that.” Jasonn nodded in agreement.

“We better get going Nance, it’s already 9 o’clock.” Shelby glanced at the clock.

The four of them headed towards the exit once again in pairs.

“Well, this is it.” Brad stopped at the doors.

“Yep, oh man, will I ever see you guys again?” Shelby asked faking a tear.

“Oh, don’t cry, we’ll meet again some day.” Brad played a long.

“Our siblings are weird.” Nancy glanced at Brad and Shel.

“Nah, we all have our moments.” Jason answered.

“I guess that’s true.” Nancy nodded.

“I’ll see ya in school tomorrow.” Jason questioned.

“Yep, tomorrow’s the last day of school.” Nancy grinned.

“True that, I thought they’d never end.” Jason shuddered.

Nancy chuckled and agreed in her mind.

“Well, looks like I got to go. They’re done talking.” Jason pointed out.

Brad and Shelby were watching them, obviously waiting for them to hurry.

“So did you have fun?” Shelby asked.

“Oh yeah, a blast. Jason and I are going out now. He asked me during the movie.” Nancy gushed excited.

“See everything worked out great.” Shelby smiled.

“Yeah, thanks to you. I can’t believe you knew his brother. It must have been fate. How did you know him?” Nancy asked turning towards Shel.

“He was one of my supervisors.” Shelby pulled into the driveway.

“Where the hell were you?” Alice yelled as soon as the door was opened.

“We went out.” Shelby walked past her, Nancy right behind.

“What the hell did you do to your hair? It looks like shit.” Alice screamed in disgust.

“Thanks, night Alice.” Nancy followed Shelby’s example stomping upstairs.

“Good job Nance. Tell the old dragon where to go whenever she yells.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“Goodnight Shel.” Nancy stopped at her door.

“Night Nancy.” Shelby smiled then walked into her room.

Shelby sat at her desk and picked up her journal.

Thursday May 24

Today was awesome. Me and Nancy hung out at the mall with Brad and Jason. We got our hair done, it was awesome. It was like we were real sisters. I don’t get to
hang out much because nobody gives me time of day. Well I’m sleepy. Night.

Shelby changed into her pajamas and turned on her bed side lamp, turning off her main-lamp. Before she knew it she had shut off her lamp and was sound asleep.

________________

Friday night Orlando

“Justin, phone.” Lynn yelled from downstairs.

“Tell them I’m not home.” Justin answered back.

“Trust me you’ll want to take this call.” Lynn insisted.

“Hello?”

“Hey Justin.” The feminine voice answered softly.

“Britney?” Justin gasped sitting down.

“Yeah, it’s me. How are you?” she asked.

“Trying to cope, you?”

“I’m ok, I just called to see how you’re doing.” Britney told him.

“I miss you,” he whispered in agony.

“Don’t Justin, it won’t do any good.” Britney sighed.

“Neither will calling me Britney.” Justin pointed out.

“Ok, fine. I’m sorry, bye Justin.” Britney hung up her side of the conversation.

“Why dammit.” Justin lay back on his bed and stared at the ceiling.

_______________

Minot

“Excited about tomorrow?” Nancy asked Shelby Friday night.

“Yeah, I am. I’m kind of nervous too. Shelby smiled.

“Hold still, I’m going ruin your nails. I’m sure you don’t want black nail polish all over.” Nancy chided.

“Yes ma’am.” Shelby giggled.

“So you’re wearing your chocker tomorrow?” Nancy asked.

“Oh hell yeah,” Shel answered excitedly.

“And what are you wearing?”

“My t-shirt that says ‘You say Psycho like it’s a bad thing’, those baggy green pants you made me get and my black Chuck Taylor’s.” Shelby basked in her new look.

“People are going to shit an egg when they see you. And when they’re starting to get used to it, you spring that awesome speech on them.” Nancy laughed at the
thought.

“Yeah, but you know what? They deserve it. They won’t know what hit them.” Shelby sat back to let her now black nails dry.

“I’ve gotten to know you a lot more these past few days, I’m going to miss you. I won’t have any more decent big sisters.” Nancy sighed.

“Oh, come on, it won’t be that horribly bad. Besides, I’ll call you ya know. And maybe the dragon will let you visit.” Shelby shrugged then swallowed the tears that
threatened to surface.

“I’ll get to see Jasers tomorrow.” Nancy changed the subject.

“So it’s Jasers now huh?” Shel asked for the scoop.

“Yeah, I accidentally called him that today but he didn’t mind. I guess it just kind of stuck.” Nancy beamed with delight.

“That’s so sweet. Is he going to be at the grad party too then?” Shel inquired.

“Yep, he’s g be there and he promised to dance. Brad’s going to be there too ya know.” Nancy winked.

“I know, he’s bringing Lainy, the girl from Subway.” Shelby answered.

“Ah, I see, is that ok with you?” Nancy questioned.

“Of course, me and Brad are barely friends. He used to be mean boss up until earlier this week. Man, weird huh.” Shel chuckled in remembrance.

“Cool, he is kind of cute though, not as cute as my guy. Hey I like the sound of that, my guy. Hehe.” Nancy giggled.

“You’re crazy kid, never change.” Shelby smiled at her antics.

“Oh, don’t worry about me Shel. I like being crazy. Keeps people guessing.” Nance wiggled her eyebrows up and down suggestively.

“If you say so.” Shel nodded skeptically.

“I do, turn on the radio. It’s too quiet.” Nancy flopped back on the bed.

“The radio sucks.” Shelby wrinkled her nose in disgust.

“Dude, you must be smoking something. The radio does NOT suck.” Nancy retorted.

“Whatever man.” Shelby maturely stuck her tongue out at Nance.

“Now THAT, was mature dear, oh good song.” Nancy exclaimed.

“Get the party started on a Saturday night? What kind of lyrics are those.” Shelby asked, one eyebrow raised.

“Good ones, now hush and let me listen to my Pink.” Nancy shushed her and sang to the rest of the song.

“That was interesting.” Shelby smirked, referring to Nancy’s dance around the room to pink.

“Shut up, I get excited when I listen to Pink, she rocks man.” Nancy defended.

“Uh huh.” Shelby sighed and listened to the current song on the radio. She raised her eyebrows as she listened to the very suggestive lyrics.

“…Ain’t no stopping til the break of dawn…” Nancy sang along.

“Who is this?” Shelby wondered curiously.

“The people from Making the Band or whatever. O-Town I think they are called. I think boy bands are stupid. There are only a few good songs but you know what the
bad thing is? They all sound the same. Nsync, Backstreet, O-Town. What’s the difference. You know potatoe, potato: tomatoe, tomato.” Nancy explained looking at the ceiling.

“Then why do you even bother to listen to the radio? That’s all they play when I listen to it. Either that or girls singing like little kids.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“Oh my, you must be referring to Britney Spears, Slave drives me crazy, no pun intended. All the breathing and moaning, it’s seriously degrading. But hey that’s just my opinion. Now Christina A. on the other hand, now that girl has a set of vocal chords.” Nancy sighed wistfully.

“What does she sing?” Shelby wondered.

“She sings Genie in a Bottle. What a Girl Wants, Turn to You, and she sang in Lady Marmalade.” Nancy listed off.

“Nance, dear, those are all pretty much foreign words to me. Sing part of them.” Shelby smiled.

“Ok, give me a second.” Nancy scrambled off the bed then grabbed her brush.

“This should be interesting.” Shelby smirked.

“First, I’ll sing Genie in a Bottle, a clip anyway.” Nancy got into position.

“I feel like I’ve been locked up tight for a century of loneliness waiting for someone to release me…I’m a genie in a bottle you got to rub me the right way if you want
to be with me baby there’s a price to pay, I’m a genie in a bottle come come come and let me out.” Nancy struck her ending pose.

“Wow, you have an excellent voice.” Shelby answered amazed.

“Not really,” Nancy shrugged sitting down.

“Yes, you’re really good. You’re only 12 and you have such a powerful voice, how long have you been singing?” Shelby exclaimed looking at Nancy.

“My mama took me to voice lessons when I was five. I went 3 times a week until she got sick last year.” Nancy explained getting tears in her eyes.

“Wow, that awesome, what happened to your father if you don’t mind me asking.” Shel asked carefully.

“He left mama when she was pregnant with me. Never bothered to contact me or come back.” Nancy answered a single tear come back.” Nancy answered, a single tear wet making a trail down her cheek.

“Oh Nanc, I’m sorry, come here.” Shelby motioned for Nancy to sit by her.

“Thanks Shelby.” Nancy sniffed then hugged Shelby.

“I’m here for ya.” Shelby smiled hugging her tightly.

“Oh my”what is this some kind of lesbian ritual or something.” Alice threw open the door.

“Get the hell out of here Alice, I’ve told you before never come in here.” Shelby screamed.

“Don’t scream at me you stupid bitch.” Alice got in her face.

“Don’t start anything Alice, just leave us alone.” Nancy added calmly.

“Shut up Nancy this doesn’t pertain to you.” Alice stared at Nancy.

“Let me just say this one thing ALICE, bite me.” Nancy smiled valley girl style sarcastically and watched Alice turn a dark shade of red.

“I don’t even know why I bother putting up with you ungrateful bitches. If it weren’t for me, you’d be out in the street.” Alice growled.

“The reason you put up with us is for money. You use all the money you get for us on yourself. You don’t have a decent job. So Alice, I think it’s the other way
around. If not for us, you’d be on the street.” Shelby emphasized that last phrase.

“Hey look at that, she knows its true, she’s speechless.” Nancy egged her on.

Alice glared at them, then stomped out slamming the door behind her.

“Ugh, I can’t stand her.” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“I know at least you are free soon. I’m stuck here for like ever.” Nancy pouted.

“Buck up Nancy. Maybe they’ll transfer you to a good family.” Shelby consoled her.

“I wish, but I won’t hold my breath. Nothing great ever happens. Hey wouldn’t it be cool if I got transferred to somewhere in Florida? Then we could still be friends.”

“We’ll always be friends.” Shelby smiled.

“That’s true, ouch.” Nancy pulled back her hand and watched a spot of blood appear.

“What happened?” Shelby asked.

Nancy was rummaging around where she got poked then held up a sharp razor blade.

“I got cut on this, why do you have a razor blade under your bed?” Nancy asked curiously.

“Um, no reason.” Shelby denied nervously.

“Are you a cutter?” Nancy guessed right away.

“No, I’m not a cutter. I just cut sometimes to release the pressure.” Shelby explained building a wall between them.

“The way I see it, if you cut then you’re a cutter. Man Shelby that is wrong. Please promise me you’ll stop.” Nancy chewed her out.

“I know what I’m doing. I don’t need to quit.” Shelby denied once again.

“You don’t need to cut to feel better Shel. When I found myself getting depressed after my mom died, I met someone who sent me to a Youth retreat called Winterfest.
That weekend changed my life. I accepted Christ in my heard then I felt immediate relief. That was 6 months ago and I haven’t been depressed since.” Nancy explained,her eyes glowing.

“Only weak people need religion. Not saying you’re weak, but I don’t need to use God as a crutch.” Shelby retorted.

“I’m sorry you feel that way Shel.” Nancy sighed softly.

“Don’t be sorry, it was me who’s going to go to the bad place if everything is true. I do thank you for informing me though.” Shelby shrugged.

“You’re welcome.” Nancy smiled feeling better.

“Oh, good song. Who sings it, what’s it called?” Shelby interrupted focusing her attention to the radio.

“Oh good choice Shel, it’s called ‘Hero’ by Enrique Iglasias. I have this CD if you want to borrow it.” Nancy answered listening to the song.

“Yes give me.” Shelby smiled when the song ended.

“Ok, I’ll give it to you tomorrow.” Nancy offered.

“I don’t know if I’ll have time tomorrow.” Shelby sighed remembering the day ahead.

“Oh yeah.” Nancy looked away sadly. “Hey, I’ll give it to ya as a grad present.”

“You don’t have too,” Shelby let her off the hook.

“No, I want too, it’s the least I can do.” Nancy smiled.

“Ok, if you insist.” Shelby shrugged.

“I do, I’ll go get it, then we can listen to it.” Nancy went to her room and returned shortly holding a CD case. She walked to the stereo and put in the CD handing
Shelby the case.

“He’s kind of cute.” Shelby smiled at the cover.

“He’s a hottie. But I’m going to go to bed now. I’m exhausted.” Nancy yawned.

“Ok, I need to do the same. I shouldn’t show up tomorrow looking like I have a hangover.” Shel chuckled softly.

“Goodnight Shelby Lynn.” Nancy waved.

“Goodnight Nancy Mae.” Shelby wiggled her fingers.

Nancy headed for her room and Shel got into her pajamas and wrote a few quick notes in her journal.

“This is a good song.” Shelby said a loud as she listened to Hero. She set the song on repeat and fell asleep to the sounds of Enrique


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story