“Nancy,” Shelby nudged her sister.

“Go away,” Nancy mumbled in return.

“Get up.” Shelby insisted.

“No. Go Away.” Nancy smacked her hands and went back to sleep.

“I’m leaving now, bye Nancy.” Shelby hugged her then walked downstairs.

“Bye Brad.” She whispered buckling her seatbelt. She smiled and took off ready to face her new life. She cranked up the radio and headed for Moorhead MN, her first
stop outside North Dakota.

_______________

Orlando

“Wade, you’re late. We’ve been waiting for like…”

JC held his hand stopping Justin’s speech. “Five minutes Justin you were late making us late so don’t talk.”

“Whatever.” Justin pouted.

“Ok guys, stop lagging around. Why aren’t you in costume yet? I do recall telling you that this was a dress rehearsal. Geez this is going to set us back. Today we’ll do a
run thru without any costume but tomorrow you guys had better be here in costume. Openers will be here on Friday. Now let’s start, I want to see Girlfriend before anything else.” Wade barked out the orders and the fun of rehearsal began.

“Let’s take it from the top now five, six, seven, and eight... Ok guys great job, now take a few then we’ll start the show.” Wade left them alone and walked out.

“This is going to be a long week.” Justin sighed sitting on the edge of the platform used as the stage.

“Oh well, it is all part of the job.” JC shrugged lying on his back.

Justin sighed and thought back to the first time he went on tour.

Flashback

“Ok guys hurry up, it’s time to meet your openers.” Johnny Wright, their manager told them.

“Ok coming.” JC answered for the whole group.

“So who are they?” Justin asked excited to start their first major headlining tour.

“We only have one so far. It’s JIVE’S latest solo artist. I’ve heard some of her stuff, she’s really good, going to be a hit.” Johnny answered.

They followed him into a conference room and sat down.

“So what’s her name?” JC asked.

Just then the door opened and a girl walked in drawing everyone’s attention.

“Britney Spears,” Justin answered the same time Johnny did.

Justin stared at the girl in front of him. She’d blossomed into a beautiful young woman since the Mickey Mouse Club.

“Guys this is Britney, she’s going to be the opener.” Johnny smiled as she sat down all the while returning Justin’s stare.

“Hey!” Brit exclaimed finally breaking the eye contact.

“So you’re going to be the next big thing?” Joey smirked looking her up and down.

Britney blushed and looked away only to meet Justin’s eyes.

“Nice to meet you,” JC grinned welcoming her in.

“Britney, this is JC, Joey, Chris, Lance, and-”

“Justin.” She whispered finishing for him.

“Yeah, you’re a fan?” Johnny smiled.

“Um,” Britney looked at him then back at Justin, “I knew him from MMC.”

“Ah, that explains a lot. Now that I’ve introduced you guys I’m going to leave and hopefully you guys will find an ice breaker.”

END FLASHBACK

Justin smiled wistfully at the sweet memory.

Ever since that day he’d been head over feet in love with her. They became closer as the days went by, hiding their relationship the best they could.

Justin figured that might have contributed to their break up. If they’d went public right away then they’d have been able to see each other whenever they wanted or
could.

The guys were all behind Justin, knowing how much he cared and loved Britney. No one could see this coming. The guys were all shocked speechless when Justin came in crying his eyes and his heart out.

They all did their best to cheer him up, but he’d remained depressed.

Justin looked around at each of the guys and mentally thanked them for always being there for him, especially when he needed them the most.

“I’ll get over you Britney, it’ll take time but I’ll be over you.” He thought silently.

Wade came back and they all got up and began from the top. Yes, it was going to be a long day for the members of Nsync.

______________________

Milwaukee WI

Shelby opened the door of the McDonald’s in front of her. She ordered her food and minutes later she was sitting in a booth enjoying a Big Mac burger and fries.

Moorhead MN was her first stop. She’d gotten gas and then continued her way across the state and was now in WI, home of the Green Bay Packers.

She studied her map closely realizing she had 5 more states to go thru before she even got to Florida.

“Excuse me miss, I couldn’t help but notice you sitting her with this map.” An older gentleman stopped by her table.

“Um, yes, how can I help you?” Shelby asked looking up.

“Me and my wife don’t really have anywhere else to sit, do you mind?” he asked cautiously.

Shelby looked into his eyes and wanted to start crying right then and there. He reminded her so much of Marc, “Sure have a seat.”

“Thank you very much. I’m just going to get my wife.”

Shelby watched him walk over to the counter and pointed to where she was seated.

“Hello sweetie thank you for letting us sit here. It was getting so crowded.” The woman sat in front of her.

“By the way, I’m Robert and this is my wife Lois.” Robert sat next to his wife.

“Shelby.”

“So where are you headed?” Lois asked noticing her map.

“I’m moving down to Orlando.” Shelby smiled.

“Really? What a coincidence! We’re headed for Tampa. We go down there every year for summer. It’s always so hard to come back though.” Robert chuckled
reminiscing.

“This is my first time; I just graduated from high school last night.” Shelby added eating a fry.

“Really? Congratulations! You’re parents must be really proud.” Lois smiled brightly.

“My mother died 8 years ago.” Shelby looked down at her food not wanting to talk or even think about that right now.

“I’m sorry dear.” Lois patted her hand comfortingly.

“So I have an idea, why don’t we head down together? That way you’re not all alone.” Robert suggested.

“I’d planned on driving straight thru ‘til I got there.” Shelby answered.

“Oh honey, that would work perfectly.” Robert never sleeps until the minute we are unpacked, in the house, and everything’s taken care of. Oh it would work out good, please say yes.” Lois gushed excitedly.

Shelby smiled and shrugged, “sure.” She threw her arms up in defeat and chuckled.

“Good, now that that’s settled what were you planning to take?” Robert asked.

“Well, I was thinking Chicago next, then Indianapolis, Lexington, and that’s all I’ve had a chance to figure out yet.” Shelby pointed to each different city covering 3
states.

“You’re right on so far. I’ll let you figure out more before telling you. Well it seems everyone is done eating so we might as well get going. It’s a 3 hour drive to Chicago so I suggest going to the bathroom, the less stops the better.” Robert stood up and they all headed for the bathroom before heading out.

“Ok, we have these walkie-talkies, we’ll give you one keep it on and if you need to stop or something just say something and we’ll do the same. See you in Chicago.” Robert handed her the device and got in his car.

Shelby got in and buckled her seatbelt. She smiled as she thought about how they’d taken her under their wing.

“This is going to rock.” She whispered turning up the radio.

“Would you dance, if I asked you to dance…”

“Yes, great song.” Shelby cranked up the Enrique song and sang here and there wherever she knew the words.

Next song was Get the Party Started, which she listened to and agreed that it was a fairly decent, almost good song. She smiled as she recalled her conversation with
Nancy as they got their hair fixed.

_________________

Orlando

“Justin, great job, I think we finally got that move, now don’t forget it.” Wade shouted.

“Can’t we quit yet? My body is screaming for me to stop.” Joey fell onto his back, his arms and legs sprawled out, chest rising and falling rapidly as he tried to catch his breath.

“Yeah, man, we’ve done the whole thing like three times now, have a heart.” Chris struck his lower lip out in a pout.

Justin and Chris looked at each other then back at Wade.

“Please.” They whined simultaneously

“Ok guys, if it means you’ll stop the insanity. Why me? I ask myself all the time, maybe that says something.” Wade shook his head and started walking towards the exit.

“Do you always talk to yourself Wade?” Chris smirked.

“Shove it Chris. I’m leaving now.” Wade kept walking towards the exit.

“Wade is a pansy.” Chris shouted the insult.

“Oh, that’s it Christopher, you’re going down.” Wade ran back to the stage area and jumped up.

Chris ran to the other end of the stage area and stuck his tongue out at Wade.

“Oh, this is good.” Justin smirked watching the pair.

“Welcome ladies and gentlemen, to the fight of the century. In this corner we have choreographer extraordinaire Wade Robson, and in this corner we have pop sensation Chris Kirkpatrick of Nsync. Oh look, there they go.” Joey introduced them both as they wrestled around on the ground.

“Hey, Wade is beating the old man.” Justin smirked.

“I heard that Justin.” Chris warned.

“That was the whole point. Wade is kicking your booty.” Justin laughed.

“Oh that’s it, you’re going down.” Chris challenged getting away from Wade then started towards Justin.

“Oh you’re in trouble.” JC told Justin watching as Chris came closer.

In the next instant Justin and Chris lunged at each other rolling around and began rolling around on the floor, worse then Chris and Wade.

“Guys, you are worse then little kids.” Mike chuckled entering the room.

“Gonna break ‘em up now?” Lonnie asked sauntering towards them.

“Yup.” Mike answered grabbing Justin.

“Hey man, I was winning.” Justin whined glaring at Mike.

“Oh, you wish man, you wish.” Chris sneered.

“Don’t start again. Like I said you’re worse then kids. I’ll need to separate you soon.” Mike chuckled.

“I’m out of here.” Lance told them heading out.

“Where are you going?” Joey asked, jumping off the stage.

“Away.” Lance answered.

“Can I come?”

“Nope.”

“Why not?”

“Because.”

“Joey back off, he’s going to Turbo Latte the small coffee shop. There’s a girl there that he has a thing for.” JC joined the conversation.

“I don’t have a thing for her, we’re just friends I barely know her.” Lance explained a slight blush crawling up his face.

___________________

Outside Chicago

“Shelby, we’re going to stop here for gas before we get into the city.” Lois spoke over the radio.

“Ok this is really cool. I’ve never been to a city this big.” Shelby giggled staring at all the sky-scrapers towering over the city in a distance.

“Chicago, here I come.” Shelby told herself pulling into the gas station.

“Hey Shelby, feels good to stand doesn’t it.” Lois came over between gas pumps.

“Oh, you bet. My legs were killing me.” Shelby answered jumping up and down.

“That looks wonderful; my legs are too old to start jumping up and down.” Lois sighed.

“Ach, Lois you’re not old at all.” Shelby reassured her.

“If you call 75 not old.” Lois smiled.

“See you’re still a ripe young bird.” Shelby linked arms with her and walked into the station.

“So did you tell her?” Robert asked Lois.

“No, I never got a chance to.” Lois answered.

Shelby looked between the two of them and had a feeling something was up. “Tell me what?” she asked.

“Well, sweetie, the thing is we have no grandchildren of our own, nobody to celebrate things with, such as graduation.” Lois explained unsure of how to present their proposition.

“What Lois is trying to say is that we want to take you shopping for some things for your apartment as a graduation gift.” Robert smiled putting an arm around his wife.

Shelby just stood there for several moments not saying a word. Here in front of her were two generously kind people that had taken her under their wing and made her feel special”something that never happened.

Tears glistened as she smiled and drew a shaky breath, “You want to do that for me?”

Robert and Lois both engulfed Shelby in their arms for a three way hug.

“Of course we do Shelby we’ve always wanted a granddaughter like you. Please let us do this.”

Shelby pulled back to look at Lois. “This is the sweetest thing anyone has done for me. I’d be honored, but on one condition.”

Robert glanced at his wife who couldn’t be more happy, “What’s that dear?”

“You let me call you grandma and grandpa.”

Shelby watched tears form in Lois’s eyes as she put her hands to her mouth.

“Oh you’ve made me the happiest old lady around.” Lois choked hugging Shelby tightly.

“I hate to break this up, but we need to get going.” Robert smiled at his two companions.

“Oh, yes, we’ve got to go to Home Depot. Have you ever been there Shelby?” Lois asked with excitement.

“No, we never had a Home Depot in Minot, we had Menards but no Home Depot. What can I say our mall really sucked.” Shelby shrugged. “Wait isn’t it getting late? Are they going to be open.”

“Shelby, you’re from North Dakota, this is Chicago, stores are open later. Come on, follow us.” Robert guided them out.

Shelby got in her car and followed her newly proclaimed grandparents out of the parking lot. Turning onto the interstate Shelby started to get nervous. There were cars
passing like crazy as they closed in on the city. Shelby could only hope Orlando wouldn’t be this crazy or she’d go insane.

“Shelby how are you holding up back there are you feeling okay?” Lois’s voice sounded over the radio.

“This traffic is nuts, talk about making me crazy. Is it always this busy?” Shelby asked.

“It’s rush hour Shelby people are getting off work and going home. Orlando won’t be nearly as bad, but you do need to get used to driving in lots of traffic hun.” Robert’s voice sounded.

“I know grandpa. How long before we get there?” Shelby asked.

“It’ll probably be another hour with traffic like it is.” Robert answered.

Shelby just sighed and whispered “great” to herself.

Now that they were stopped in a line of cars, Shelby had a chance to take in her surroundings. Chicago had come into better vie. There were many sky scrapers and other tall buildings”all with smoke coming from them. The lights were on and clearly visible considering the late hour. It reminded Shelby of Metropolis or Gotham City right out of a movie.

Traffic started moving again and Robert’s estimated hour was right. About an hour later they pulled into the Home Depot parking lot.

Home Depot was a new experience for Shelby. There were cool things all over such as furniture, material, linens, anything you could think of.

Lois led the trio to the linen and bedding section.

“Every new apartment should have new bed stuff. Pick out something you like Shelby. Maybe something black and pink from the way you dress I can see you like them
colors.” Lois smiled.

Shelby just stood in aw at all the choices she could pick from. There were blacks, and whites, colors, designs, almost anything you could ask for.

Shelby chose black sheets, a bright pink blanket and a black comforter. For pillow cases she chose two black ones and a pink that matched her blanket”it would make a good accent.

Next Lois guided them to the bathroom accessories.

“Look Shelby you could choose something traditional,” she pointed to the yellow ducks, “or go with something unusual and unique.”

Shelby saw what Lois was pointing to and instantly loved it. There were black puppies everywhere. A black puppy soap holder, bath mat shaped like a puppy, shower
curtains black with pink puppies, and wash cloths and towels the same print.

Shelby chose what she wanted and felt she needed from that set, then they were off to the next station.

“Can you do any painting?” Robert asked spotting the paint section”something he could relate to a little better.

“They said I could if I wanted to.” Shelby nodded.

“Let’s go check it out.” Robert took the lead this time, his girls close behind.

____________________

Orlando

“Welcome to Turbo Latte, my name is Aimee and I’ll be your waitress.” A young woman smiled setting two waters in front of an elderly couple.

“Hello Aimee. That’s such a pretty name.” the woman smiled at her.

“Thank you ma’am, can I get you folks anything to drink right away?” Aimee smiled back.

“I’ll take a decaf coffee please.” The man answered.

“That sounds just wonderful. I’ll have the same thanks.”

“All right two decaf’s it is. I’ll bring those out right away.” Aimee wrote their drink order down and walked behind the counter.

Aimee Martin had worked at Turbo Latte for going on 3 years. It was helping put her through college. Aimee seemed the epitome of a coffee shop worker. She had a look about her that made her fit perfectly.

She was short, standing a mere 5’1 with shoes, she had long black hair with bright blue eyes and a loud mouth that didn’t take crap from anyone.

“Here you are,” she set the coffees in front of the couple and smiled, “Are we ready to order?”

“Yes, I will have an egg salad sandwich on wheat and he’ll have a hamburger.” The woman ordered with a bright smile on her face.

“All right, one egg salad sandwich on wheat and one hamburger, anything else?” Aimee wrote they’re order down and waited to see if they were going to order anything else.

“That’s it for now honey.” The woman patted her hand assuring Aimee they were done.

Aimee went to give they’re order to the cook Bonner when she heard the door open.

“Joey, I cannot believe you followed me here.” Lance sighed sitting down.

“I wanted to check out your woman.” Joey shrugged as if it was a natural thing to do.

“Whatever Joey, she’s not my woman. We’re just friends and you better not do or say anything to embarrass me in front of her.” Lance warned.

Joey put his hands up and looked innocent. “I won’t embarrass you Lance, I promise.”

Lance just rolled his eyes, then smiled when he spotted Aimee coming towards them.

“Hey Lance, you never miss a day do you?” Aimee smiled setting waters and menu’s in front of them.

“Of course not, the food is good and I get to see my favorite waitress.” Lance smiled at her.

“You wouldn’t know if the food was good or not, you order the same thing every time. You need to live a little Lance.” Aimee shook her head.

“That’s what we tell him all the time but he never listens.” Joey piped up, shaking his head.

“Now who are you? I’ve never seen you in here before.” Aimee turned her attention to Joey.

“I am Joey, one of Lance’s friends and band mates.” Joey stuck out his hand.

Aimee shook his hand and smiled, “Nice to meet you Joey, who would have thought that Lance has friends. He seems like such a loner.”

At that Lance wiped away a fake tear and pretended to sniffle in pain.

“Oh Lance, you know I’m just kidding.” She laughed patting his head. “So do you fellas know what you want to eat or perhaps drink?”

“I’ll have the usual.” Lance nodded.

“That would be an egg salad sandwich on wheat, no crust with a frosty mocha.” Aimee wrote his order down then turned to Joey, “And for you sir.”

“I’ll have the same, but I’m a grown man and I can handle the crust.” Joey winked at Aimee flirtatiously.

“You are too much.” Aimee shook her head and turned to Lance. “You have crazy friends.”

With that Aimee turned and went behind the counter to start their order.

“She’s a feisty one Lance, are you sure you can handle her.” Joey watched Aimee walk away.

“What’s that supposed to mean? We’re just friends, she’s a really sweet girl.” Lance explained.

“And that’s why you have that goofy grin on your face.” Joey smirked.

“Shut up Joey, no one asked you.” Lance sighed rolling his eyes.

“Don’t roll them too far back Lance they might get stuck back there and then what would you do.” Aimee glanced at him before setting they’re food and drinks in front
of them.

“I’ll try not to. Do you get a break or something any time soon?” Lance asked looking around the virtually empty room.

“Hold on.” Aimee held up a finger then went to go help the elderly couple who were waiting at the counter to check out.

After they left, Joey and Lance were the only ones left in the café.

Lance started eating but ended up waiting to see if Aimee was coming back out. He scooted over as he saw her coming over with a plate and a glass.

Aimee slid into the booth next to Lance and took a bite of her sandwich. She noticed she was being watched and quickly swallowed. “What?”

Joey and Lance quickly looked away and concentrated on eating. Aimee could only shake her head and roll her eyes.

“Don’t roll them too hard Aimee, you wouldn’t want them to get stuck back there.” Lance repeated something similar to her words earlier.

“Bite me Lance.”

“Mark the spot.” Lance answered.

“Blah, so anyway, what are you guys up to today?” Aimee asked lighting up a cigarette.

“Well, we’re done with rehearsal so other then that nothing.” Lance answered sitting back in his seat.

“You smoke? Don’t you know that’s bad for you,” Joey wrinkled his nose.

“Yeah, what of it, a lot of people smoke now days.” Aimee shrugged and took a drag.

“Yeah, but the cool kids don’t. And it makes your breath stink.” Joey waved his hand in front of his nose.

“Are you trying to say that I have bad breath? I never realized you were rude.” Aimee looked at him weird.

“I’m not rude, I’m just stating a point. Besides I can’t smell your breath from here. Do you have a boyfriend or anything? I hear it’s not nice to kiss someone who
smokes.” Joey glanced at Lance who was trying to persuade him to stop talking.

“No I don’t have a boyfriend and I wouldn’t know what its like to kiss someone who smokes, I’ve never done that. And I never asked those who did kiss me after I smoked to see if they liked it or not.” Aimee took another drag and shrugged her shoulders.

“Well I would try kissing you and telling you what its like but my girlfriend wouldn’t like that much. Lance doesn’t have a girlfriend; he can kiss you and tell us whether
or not it tastes bad.” Joey winked at Lance.

“Why do you have to bring me into your argument?” Lance asked.

“Because you’re the one without a girlfriend and you’re sitting right next to her.” Joey pointed out the obvious.

“Well geez, Lance if you don’t want to kiss me you don’t have to.” Aimee looked away trying not to look hurt.

Lance saw the pain on her face before she looked away and cursed himself for making her feel bad. He brought his hand up to her chin to bring her face to look at him.
He closed his eyes and softly kissed her fully on the mouth, bring his tongue to gently open her lips. He never realized kissing her would feel so good, so right.

Aimee was the first to pull away when she heard Joey whistle.

“Well, how was it Lance?” Joey asked.

Lance’s face was still close enough to Aimee’s to feel her breath upon him; he smiled tenderly and whispered, “Perfect.”

Aimee stood up abruptly and went to the bathroom, leaving Lance to wonder what if he did or said something wrong.

“Way to go Lance, you the man.” Joey slapped his arm.

“Shut up Joey.” Lance snapped then went to see if Aimee was alright.

“Aimee?” he softly knocked on the door.

“Go away Lance.” He heard her say.

“Are you crying honey?” Lance asked his heart breaking at the thought that he caused her tears.

“No.” she tried to hide the tears in her voice.

“I’m coming in sweetie.” Lance slowly opened the door and saw her standing in front of the mirror, tears running down her face.

“Get out of here. I don’t want you here.” Aimee hiccupped when she saw him standing there.

“What’s wrong Aimee, was it something I did?” Lance asked going to her.

“I don’t know, it’s just everything.” Aimee sighed.

“Tell me about it.” Lance encouraged her slipping an arm around her waist bringing her closer to him.

“School is stressful and then there’s you. You aren’t supposed to be so nice. You confuse me. I thought we were friends, and I told myself not to like you but I couldn’t help it, I really like you Lance. I assumed you thought of me just as a friend and then you kissed me and now I’m even more confused.” Aimee wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her head against his neck.

Lance wrapped both of his arms tightly around her waist, keeping the silence and letting her cry.

“I’m sorry that I confuse you Aimee. I don’t mean to confuse you.” Lance looked into her eyes, drying her tears with his thumbs. “I do like you, I’ve liked you since the moment I saw you. I always assumed you thought of me as just a friend. I’d never dreamed that you’d like me too. I’d really like to try a relationship with you, if you’d like to.” Lance smiled watching her face for her reaction.

“You really like me?” Aimee sniffed.

“Yes Aimee, I really like you. Is that so hard to believe?” Lance questioned.

“No not really, you’re a pop star, I’m a waitress, what do I have to offer.” Aimee shrugged feeling worthless.

“You’ve a lot to offer Aimee, you’re a sweet woman and I can’t wait to get to know you better.” Lance tucked her hair behind her ear.
Lance watched Aimee’s face, his eyes moving from her eyes to her lips. When she moved closer to him he got what he wanted and slowly dipped his head and softly kissed her on the lips.

Their moment was ruined when Bonner knocked on the door and yelled, “Aimee hurry up, you’re break’s almost up.”

“I’m sorry.” Aimee smiled.

“It’s okay baby. What are you doing this week? I’d like to go out sometime before we leave for tour.” Lance asked searching her face.

“I have school and work almost every day. And we still haven’t found a new waitress to fill the day when Nora leaves. It’s going to be a hectic week. I think I should be able to get away on Thursday. Does that work for you?” Aimee looked up at him.

“Thursday is perfect. I can’t wait.” Lance softly kissed her one more time then they left the bathroom.

Lance looked around for Joey and found him the only one still in the café. He waved and went to the cash register to pay.

“How much do I owe you?” Lance asked Aimee.

“Five dollars even.” Aimee smiled at him.

“Here you go,” Lance handed her a twenty dollar bill; “keep the change.”

“You ready Lance?” Joey asked clearly anxious to get going.

“Yeah hold your horses,” Lance waved.

“Pick me up here at 8.” Aimee smiled at him.

“Will do, take care of yourself hon.” Lance touched her cheek then walked out the door with Joey in tow.

“So Lance, what happened in the bathroom?” Joey winked at Lance.

“It’s none of your business Joey.” Lance shook his head.

“Oh come on, we all know you guys were all hot and bothered.” Joey nudged Lance.

“Just drop it Joe.”

_________________

Chicago

“I’d like 2 gallons of black paint and one gallon of bright pink.” Shelby told the clerk at the paint counter.

“Let me get this straight one gallon of bright pink and two gallons of black?” the clerk looked at her funny.

“Yes that’s what I said.” Shelby nodded.

“What are you using it for?” he asked snidely.

“Why do you need to know, just fill the order.” Shelby felt her defense going up.

“I just need to know what kind of paint you need.” He replied abruptly.

“I’m painting my apartment black.” Shelby challenged.

“Okay, that wasn’t so hard was it?” The clerk rolled his eyes.

“Are you always this rude sir?” Lois asked standing up for Shelby.

“Excuse me?” he asked taken aback.

“You heard me,” Lois looked at the young man’s nametag, “Nathan.”

“I’m sorry ma’am.” Nathan apologized.

“Don’t apologize to me apologize to my granddaughter.” Lois pointed to Shelby.

Nathan just glanced at Shelby and walked over to the paint mixer to get they’re order filled.

Lois just let him fill the paint and when he was finished, Lois asked for his manager.

“Hello, my name is Nicholas, I’m Nathan’s manager how can I help you today?” the manager shook Lois’s hand.

“Hello Nicholas my name is Lois and this is my granddaughter Shelby. Nathan there treated Shelby very rudely and I kindly asked him to apologize but he just ignored me and continued to have an attitude.” Lois explained the situation to the best of her ability.

“Well ma’am I do apologize for Nathan’s rudeness and I apologize to you young lady,” Nicholas nodded to Shelby. “I assure you Nathan will be disciplined accordingly but for now, I’d like to give you all your purchases free. Whatever you have in your posession is on the house. Just take this to the counter and they’ll know what to do.”

Shelby watched as Nicholas wrote something on a piece of paper and hand it to Lois.

“Thank you sir, you’re so kind.” Lois smiled at Nicholas.

“Excuse me sir, I just wanted to thank you. Nobody’s stuck up for me before. I really appreciate it.” Shelby stuck out her hand ready to shake his.

“You’re welcome Shelby. We do what we can.” Nicholas nodded shaking her hand.

Lois turned around and headed toward checkout. The paint was the last thing on the list for them to get.

“Shelby, do you need anything else? Technically this wasn’t us buying you anything. We could stop at the mall. They have some pretty cool clothing stores there.” Lois suggested.

Shelby shrugged and nodded. “That’s fine with me grandma.”

The trio went thru the checkout and went to the nearest mall.

“Shelby there’s a really cool store that I think you would enjoy.” Robert grabbed her hand and headed toward the mall entrance.

“Oh here we go again.” Lois sighed knowing where he was headed.

Shelby was amazed at the store that he brought her to. It was called Hot Topic and as soon as she walked in she fell in love with it all. They had lots of black and red and pink and accessories. Shelby picked out 5 different outfits all of them were black with different colors.

One was a pair of camouflage pants that went to mid calf with a pink t-shirt that said “People Suck” over a black long sleeve shirt.Her second choice was a pair of black pants with buckles hanging from them and a red shirt that had built in black long sleeve fishnet arms. Her third outfit was a long black skirt (at the insistence of Lois) with a black Level 27 shirt”the Level 27 in red. Her fourth outfit was a pair of black baggy pants that went half way to her calf and a red AFI t-shirt with black writing. Shelby wasn’t sure who AFI was but the clerk assured they were a good band and persuaded her to buy one of they’re CDs. Her fourth and final outfit was a pair of baggy red pants with an Alice in Wonderland shirt. Shelby got an awesome pair of boots that went to her mid-calf with sweet looking buckles and black laces. To finish off the fashion”she got several new spiked bracelets, chokers, and what were called “arm warmers”. Robert and Lois proudly walked out of the store proud of Shelby’s individuality.

“You did great Shelby, and you’re going to look great.” Robert rested an arm around her shoulders.

“Thank you grandpa, that means a lot to me. I had a lot of fun. Thanks for showing me that store. I loved it.” Shelby returned his semi-hug.

“Let’s hit the road kids, we still have a few hours of driving left before we stop again.” Robert smiled at his girls.

“How long do you think it’ll be before we get to Florida?” Shelby asked.

“We should be there by late tomorrow morning or tonight if you want to get technical.” Robert answered.

The rest of the trip went very uneventful and true to his word, Robert got them to Tampa, around 3am. Shelby spent the night and left about noon the next morning excited to get to Orlando.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story