Five minutes after Joey left, Shelby heard a phone ringing, “Hello?” she answered picking it up.

“Who is this?” the female voice asked.

“Shelby, whose phone is this?” she questioned not recognizing it to be her own.

“It’s Joey’s phone. I’m his girlfriend Kelly, what are you doing with his phone?” she wondered.

“It’s a long story.”

“I’m all ears.”
“Well Lance, Joey, and Justin came into the coffee shop today and Justin said some rude things to me so I left and Joey followed. We were talking and had gotten to my car when I guess I had what they call a panic attack. He drove me to the hospital and I guess he just left here after he dropped me off.” Shelby explained.

“Oh, you poor girl, are you okay now?” Kelly asked concerned for her new friend.

“Yeah, they gave me some pills to take in case it happens again. Isn’t that typical of doctors, go in and come out with a bunch of drugs.” Shelby said in disgust.

“I hear you, listen, I have to go. As soon as I see him, I’ll send Joey to get his phone.”

“Okay, it was nice talking to you.” Shelby answered.

Shelby hung up the phone and sighed when it rang again, “Hello?”

“Hmm, you aren’t Joey, and you aren’t Kelly.” The voice sounded in her ear.

“I’m Shelby, Kelly is at home and Joey is well I don’t know where.” Shelby answered rolling her eyes.

“What are you doing with his phone?” The voice demanded.

“What is it to you?” Shelby sighed sick of people questioning her about such stupid things.

“Don’t sigh at me. I am Christopher Allen Kirkpatrick III and I demand to know all.”

“Right, freak is more like it.”

“Thank you, I’m proud of my heritage. So you never answered my question. Don’t leave me hanging sister-friend.” Chris whined.

“You must be like Joey, you both whine a lot. Bunch of babies.”

“Hey, that’s mean. Look what you did, you made me cry you meany.” Chris stuck out his lip and pouted thru the phone.

“I’m sorry Christopher I can’t see you cry. Sounds like you have a personal problem.” Shelby sat down on her makeshift bed on the floor.

“Oh, she’s a feisty one. Retract the claws kitten.” Chris giggled.

“Once again, I’ll freak. Strange is more like it. Are all your friends that way? The poor boys.”

“You mean you don’t know who we are?” Chris asked surprised.

“Yeah, you’re a dork Joey is a big kid, and Justin is an ass.”

“Well, we all have our faults, we can’t all be as perfect as Shelby with no last name.”

“I have a last name; I just don’t want to share it with a stranger.”

“Right.”

“Well, I have painting to do, so I’m going to go, if you don’t mind.”

“I do mind. I demand you stay on the phone and talk to me.”

“This isn’t even my phone.” Shelby reminded him.

“Oh come on Joey wouldn’t mind if you used it, especially when you’re talking to me.”

“Why? Are you having some kind of secret love affair behind Kelly’s back?”

“Oh yes, Joey is the love of my life. I don’t know what I’d do without him.”

Shelby started laughing feeling that this guy she was talking to was crazy.

“Ha, made you laugh. I am the master, bow to my excellence.”

“Yeah, that’s not going to happen.”

“Oh you know you want it baby, give it to me.”

“Gag me with a spoon.”

“I prefer the fork, death by the fork.”

“Christopher you’re a freak, a true freak, and with that I congratulate you.”

“Thank you, I am the bomb. What are you doing? You should come over here I’m bored.” Chris demanded.

“No thank you, I’m fixin to start painting. I’m hanging up now, goodbye Chris.”

Shelby hung up the phone and went over to her CD Player and turned it up loud once again.

Being that she never painted in her life, Shelby thought this was a fun and invigorating experience. An hour and a full black wall later, Shelby stood back
admiring her work of art.

“Very nice,” a voice startled her.

Shelby jumped and whirled around a hand on her pounding heart.

“How did you get in here?” She asked a grinning Joey.

“Well Kelly told me where my phone was and I came. Your music was playing so loud you didn’t hear me buzz you. Some older lady let me in she was just
the nicest lady. Anyway after that I knocked and then tried the handle and it was open which brings us up to this moment. So you really are painting your place black.” Joey observed the black wall.

Shelby just rolled her eyes and started painting again. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Joey move and assumed he was leaving.

Joey grabbed a roller and dipped into some paint, he took a spot a few feet just to the left of Shelby and started whistling.

“What are you doing?” she demanded glaring at him.

“Painting.” Joey nodded to the paint he was rolling onto the wall.

“No you’re not, you’re going home now. Here’s your phone; oh and some weirdo called other then Kelly. Christopher Allen Kirk-something. Never
seen”well heard someone so bizarre, talk about weird. You have strange friends Joey.”

Joey burst out laughing at that last remark.

“Oh Shel, you have no idea. Chris is the most immature crazy 30 year old I know.”

Shelby’s jaw dropped and she stared at him stupefied. “Are you nuts? There is no way that freak was 30.”

“He doesn’t seem like it does he? You should see him the actions match the words man. He’s hilarious.”

“Right,” Shelby grabbed some more paint and rolled it onto the wall.

“You don’t like to talk do you?” Joey observed, watching her closely.

“I have nothing to say.” Shelby shrugged continuing to paint.

“Oh well, if you’re going to be all snooty, I’m going to leave.” Joey set down his things and grabbed his things.

Shelby just glanced at him and shrugged.

Joey sighed heavily and walked towards the door hesitating a few feet from the door. He glanced back at Shelby finding her staring intently at the roller in her
hand.

“You have one depressed girl on your hands.” The doctors voice sounded in his head.

“Are you okay Shelby?” Joey asked causing her to jump.

Shelby looked up and tried to smile, “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“Well, I’ll see you around, with you working with Aimee and her with Lance I’m sure our paths will cross again. Happy painting.” Joey turned back towards
the door and walked out.

Shelby watched him leave and sighed, slumping her shoulders. Brad, he reminded her of Brad. “I miss you Brad.” She sighed whispering.

Clearing her mind of all foolishness Shelby focused on the task at hand”finishing the painting

It was one o’clock in the morning before she finally had all the walls and ceiling done. Another night on the floor was in store for Shelby something she wasn’t really looking forward too.

Tomorrow she’d go to Walmart again and buy furniture. She decided that she’d also find a bank to deposit her money in.

_________

5:30am

Sleep didn’t come to Shelby until about 2. She’d woke up abruptly when she’d heard a door slam and hadn’t been back to sleep since. She figured she’d get up and get ready for her first day of work.

“Morning Shelby.” Bonner greeted her a while later.

“Hello.” Shelby smiled quietly.

“Are you ready for an extra long shift?”

“I guess.” Shelby shrugged.

“Get pumped up, drink lots of caffeine looks like you’ve had a long night.”

“Yeah, I reckon.” Shelby sighed waiting for the cappuccino to warm up.

The first few hours went really slow, only a few people came in. By 2 in the afternoon the place was swamped.

“How are you holding up Shelby? This is crazy.” Bonner commented while Shelby filled the ice box.

“You’re telling me. This is awful good for business, but I’m going insane. At least everyone is patient. Do you have any idea why it’s so busy?”

“I really have no idea. We’re rarely this busy.” Bonner answered then handed her the order she was waiting for.

“Here you go, cheeseburger for you, and if I’m not mistaken you had the hamburger.” Shelby smiled politely and thanked them.

Two hours later the place hadn’t slowed up a bit. By now Shelby was exhausted she hadn’t had a break since about noon before they started getting busy.
Her legs and feet were killing her.

“Be right with you.” She told an elderly couple placing food on another table.

“It’s okay dear, we can see that you’re busy.” The woman smiled brightening Shelby’s demeanor.

“What can I get you folks to drink?” Shelby asked stepping in front of them.

“You can start by taking a deep breath, then I’ll have the soup and coffee.” The woman smiled.

“I’ll have the same.” The man added.

“Two soups and two coffee’s coming right up.” Shelby wrote they’re order down and cleared a table on her way back to the kitchen.

“Are they letting up at all?” Bonner asked spotting Shelby.

“No, as soon as I get a table cleared, it’s taken again. The coffee is a never ending cycle as well.” Shelby filled the two cups and brought them back out.

“Thank you dear.” The woman smiled at Shelby.

“Is there like something going on today? We have been busy all day.” Shelby asked the couple.

“There’s a big sidewalk sale going on just down the street. This place comes highly recommended.”

“Oh, that would explain a lot.” Shelby thanked them and went to report her findings to Bonner.

“Got another order for me Shel?” he asked seeing her enter the kitchen.

“Nope, but I know why we’re so busy.”

“And why’s that hun? Enlighten me.”

“There’s a big sidewalk sale going on down the street.”

“Oh shit. That was today? I completely forgot, I’m sorry Shelby I knew this day would be like this I just forgot when it was.” Bonner ran his hand over his
backward baseball cap and sighed.

“It’s okay. We’re managing.” Shelby assured him.

“You’re definitely doing good Shelby. I’m impressed, I mean nobody would know that yesterday was your training and today is your first day on your own.”

“I heard the door open again so I’m out.”

Shelby walked out and inhaled deeply. She grabbed a menu and a pad of paper and shoved it in her 3 pocket apron.

“How may I help you?” Shel asked the customer having not yet looked up.

“I’ll take a bowl of soup, 2 slices of wheat bread and a mocha shake.” The familiar voice spit out.

Shelby’s head popped up and to her dismay it was Justin.

“Anything else?” she smiled trying not to shake.

“No just get out of here and make my order. I can’t stand to look at you.” Justin rolled his eyes.

Shelby reacted as if she’d been slapped. Her face turned a bright red and she could feel tears burning at the back of her throat. She quickly turned away and
drew a breath.

Shelby gave the order to Bon and went to make the shake. She walked over to the freezer to grab the ice cream and sighed loudly when she found out they
were out of vanilla.

She cautiously walked over to Justin’s table.

“Excuse me,” she asked quietly.

Justin looked up and sighed loudly, “What now?”

“We’re out of vanilla ice cream.” Shelby answered.

“And that’s my problem, why?”

Shelby swallowed the snide remark that came to her mind and sighed, “You’re mocha shake requires vanilla ice cream which we ran out of.”

“Why don’t you burn a few needed calories and go get more.” Justin glared at her.

Shelby ignore the feelings of hate and turned around promising herself she wouldn’t loose herself over Justin again.

“Bonner we’re out of vanilla ice cream.” Shelby informed him.

“Okay thanks, I’ll order more. Soup and bread up for the new table.”

Shelby grabbed the platter and quickly walked out and set it down in front of Justin then went to clean off all the empty tables. All the tables had the bill and they’re payment under a plate. To her dismay, Justin was the only one left in the place.

Shelby took all the dirty plates to the kitchen before going back to talk to Bon.

“We’re almost empty, may I sit down?”

“Yes, take a cold one with you. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”
Shelby grabbed a frozen mocha and a frozen cappuccino and went to sit down. She set the mocha in front of Justin and took the other one to a table a ways away.

“Excuse me, what’s this?” Justin demanded looking up.

“Frozen mocha, closest thing to a shake I can get.” Shelby explained taking a bite of her own frozen drink.

Justin stared at it for a few seconds, “Oh,” he took a bite tasting it for several moments, “Thanks.”

Shelby had to strain to hear him but smiled when she did. Victory was hers this round. “You’re welcome.”

They sat there in a tense silence both daring the other to say something. They sat there eating and drinking they’re caffeine every so often looking up making eye contact only to quickly dart away.

“Why do you work in a food joint?” Justin asked breaking the silence.

“I don’t know, it’s the only kind of job I’ve ever had.” Shelby shrugged glancing up at him.

“Is that why you’re so fat”because you work in fast food?” Justin asked rudely.

“Why are you so mean?” Shelby swallowed thickly.

“I’m not mean. What are you talking about?”

“Whatever.” Shelby sighed trying to control the shaking that her body was trying to do.

“What’s wrong? Can’t take a little criticism?” Justin challenged.

Shelby chose to ignore him as hard as she could. ‘Does the whole world have to bring me down.’ She thought staring intently at her table.

“Do I scare you?” Justin asked moving to sit right in front of her.

Shelby started to feel dizzy and figured she was close to a panic attack. She kept glancing towards the door willing herself to calm down.

Just then the door flew open and two guys sauntered in, Shelby recognized one of them to be Joey. She sighed inwardly thanking them for coming at that moment.

“Oh my gosh. Are you two actually getting along?” Joey asked sitting down with them.

“As if.” Justin denied glaring at Shel, arms crossed leaning back in the chair.

“Then why are you sitting here?” Joey wondered.

“Because I wanted to come over here and prove a point, I have no other reason to associate with her.”

“This conversation between people is really starting to bore this sub-hybrid homosapian life form.” The guy to Shelby’s left spoke.

“Chris, you are not in an episode of Star Trek, talk like a normal person.” Joey scowled at him.

“Hush you fowl villain. Master, I sense a disturbance in the force. Senator Amidala is in trouble.” Chris’s gaze darted around the small café.

“See he’s just as crazy in person.” Joey nodded at Chris.

“That’s the freak on the phone?” Shelby asked astonished that this could be the same person she talked to last night.

“I am Anikin Skywalker, I am here to protect you Padime.” Chris offered Shel his hand.

“Anny? Is that you? I hardly recognized you. You’ve grown so much.” Shelby smirked playing along.

“Yeah and I thought JC was bad.” Joey shook his head.

“Shut up Joseph, before I behead you with my light saber.” Chris threatened putting his imaginary saber in the air.

“No Anikin, the council wouldn’t like it. Jedi Master’s need to learn to control their anger.” Shelby gently set her hand on his arm.

“You’re right Senator Amidala, I’m sorry.” Chris apologized, then kissed the back of her hand.

“Wow, is there a secret love affair that I don’t know about?” Aimee asked appearing next to their table.

“No, my love burns passionately for Senator Amidala. Many times my love for her causes me trouble, but I am a very passionate person and I just can’t help it.” Chris spoke his role, really getting into character.

“Watch Star Wars much?” Aimee shook her head.

“I sense a disturbance in the force. Stand back Padime.” Chris took out his light saber again hovering close to Shelby.

“Anny, please sit down and be normal. No more Star Wars.” Shelby pushed him towards his chair.

“But my love burns for you Padime.” Chris rebuked trying to resist.

“Well, it’s time to become Christopher again. You are no longer a Jedi in training, you are Christopher Allen Kirk-whatever doer of whatever it is you do.”
Shelby told him.

“Hello, I am Christopher Allen Kirkpatrick III.” Chris saluted, “Singer of songs.”

“You, a singer? That’s almost funny, keep dreaming.” Shelby smirked.

“You don’t know who we are?” Chris asked surprised again.

“I’ve been introduced to you all you know. You’re Chris, Justin, Joey, Aimee and I’m Shelby, what else do you need to know?” Shelby’s brows wrinkled in
thought.

“Ding ding ding. We have a winner, you got it right. We are just a bunch of nobodies.” Chris congratulated her.

“Yeah, then I’ll fit right in.” Shelby chuckled.

“No you wouldn’t.” Justin added glaring at her.

Shelby met his gaze head on almost challenging him. “Why not?”

“Because you’re less than a nobody.”

Shelby felt every word like a slap in the face. She could feel herself start shaking. She got up and stumbled to the counter. She contemplated leaving for a
moment before running out the door.

“Fuck you Golden Boy. I fucking hate you.” Shelby yelled entering her apartment.

She walked over to her makeshift bed and sat down. She grabbed a razor blade and started cutting herself wherever she had access; her arms, her legs, her stomach, everything. She lay still, feeling the blood running down her body. She closed her eyes beginning to feel faint, a knock on her door was the last thing she heard before passing out.

“Shelby?” Aimee yelled from the hallway.

Aimee waited a few seconds before letting herself in.

“Shelby?” Aimee called eyes searching the dark apartment.

Aimee heard a noise in a corner then hurried over there.

“Oh my gosh, Shelby.” Aimee ran to her side, seeing all the blood and called 911.

“Bonner, I won’t be back in today. I’m on my way to the hospital.”

“Okay, we’re really slow now anyway. It’s Shelby isn’t it?” Bonner sighed.

“Yeah, but I have to go now.” Aimee hung up the phone then called Lance and canceled they’re date.

She waited in the ER waiting room, her stomach thick with fear. Lance had wanted to know what had happened but Aimee didn’t feel like it was right to tell him.

“Excuse me miss, are you here for Miss Murphy?” a nurse stopped in front of Aimee a half an hour later.

“Yes, how is she?” Aimee asked worried about her new friend.

“She’s stable right now, but we’d like to hold her overnight.”

“Can I see her?” Aimee wondered.

“Sure, follow me.”

Aimee followed the woman and cautiously entered the room. Shelby lay there with her eyes closed and had bandages on her arms; an IV gave her the
finishing look.

“Shelby?” Aimee stated quietly.

Shelby slowly opened her eyes and looked around.

“Where am I?” she whispered.

“At the hospital.” Aimee smiled gently.

Shelby lifted an arm and looked around the dankly lit room.

“Oh yeah,” Shelby closed her eyes and sighed.

“Are you okay Shelby?” Aimee asked fearing for her friend.

“Yeah, I’m fine, never better.” Shelby plastered a fake smile on her face.

“What happened?”

“What do you mean what happened?”

“What did Justin say to you that made you want to do this to yourself?” Aimee asked.

“You wouldn’t understand.” Shelby sighed looking away.

“What wouldn’t I understand?”

“Nothing, just forget it.”

Shelby turned her head to face the opposite wall, willing herself not to break down again.

“Well I’m going to leave if you’re going to ignore me.” Aimee sighed.

Shelby continued to stare out the window, until after hearing Aimee leave the room. Shelby ripped the IV out and disconnected her heart monitor. Getting dressed Shelby slowly made her way out the door. She snuck down the hal way and made it out the door. It was dark out as she hailed a cab and headed home.

She payed the driver then went upstairs. On her door was a note telling her to take a few days off of work at the insistence of Bonner.

“Eight o’clock on a Thursday night,” Shelby sighed loudly. “I have nothing to do. Wait a second, I’ll call Nancy. Thank goodness I got this cell phone.

“Hello?”

Shelby rolled her eyes at the voice and sighed, “Alice put Nancy on.”

“Well well, if it isn’t Shelby. She’s not here.” Alice answered.

“Where is she?” Shelby wanted to know.

“I don’t know, she got taken away and you know the rules, we aren’t allowed to know. I’m by myself now, they said something about me being an unfit
parent.”

“Alice, you are an unfit parent. No one should have to put up with your shit, let alone live with you as they’re guardian. I don’t know how many bruises you
gave me. But anyway do you have a phone book around?” Shelby asked gritting her teeth together.

“Yeah why?”

“Can you look up Brad’s number for me?”

“Actually I already have it here, he called looking for you.”

Shelby fought Alice for the number for about half an hour before finally hanging up successfully.

“Hello?” a snotty female voice answered.

“Hi, is Brad available?” Shelby asked.

“Who is this?”

“Shelby, may I please talk to Brad?” Shelby rolled her eyes impatiently.

“The bitch from the mall, get a life and don’t call her again.

“What are you doing here Monique?” Brad yelled walking in the door.

“Oh you know you want me back baby.” Monique purred walking over to him.

“I don’t want anything to do with you. Who was that on the phone? I can’t believe you came in here and answered my damn phone.” Brad was growing
more angry by the minute as he stared at his ex-girlfriend.

“It was just a telemarketer or a wrong number or something.” Monique shrugged.

“Get the hell out of my house before I call the cops.” Brad opened the door and waited for her to leave.

Monique walked out the door but not before running a perfectly manicured hand across his chest.

Brad slammed the door behind him and went over to his phone. He dialed *69 and listened to the phone ring.

“Hello?” Shelby answered, a question in her voice.

“Shelby?” Brad asked surprised to hear her voice.

“Brad? How did you get this number?” Shelby wondered excited to hear from her friend.

“I star 6-9ed it. Monique came over when I wasn’t home. I’m sorry if she said anything to offend you. How are you girl? I miss you.” Brad smiled, his anger leaving his body as he talked to Shelby.

“Well, I’m not doin that great, but it’s better now that I can hear a familiar voice.” Shelby smiled imagining his face.

“Yes well; I do what I can. You left without saying bye, that really hurt Shelby.” Brad explained making Shelby feel even more awful.

“I’m sorry Brad. After I snapped at you I figured you weren’t very happy with me so I left. I couldn’t even say goodbye to Nancy and now she’s gone.”
Shelby sighed feeling the tears burning at the back of her throat.

“I wasn’t mad or anything. Just curious about what brought it on, but I would like to have said goodbye. You suck Shelby. So you heard about Nancy then?” Brad sighed.

“Yeah, do you know where she’s at? I’m glad Alice can’t have them any more.”

“She called Jason a few days ago, but she wasn’t allowed to tell them anything. Something about Alice finding her and kidnapping her or something like that.
So how are you? Have you found a job yet?”

“Yeah, I work at a coffee shop. My apartment was a dump it took forever to clean. I painted it black and I’ll be getting furniture and stuff tomorrow. I have a few days off so I can work at home.”

“You just started and you already have days off, what’s up with that?” Brad asked curiously.

“It’s a personal thing.” Shelby replied cautiously.

“Are you okay Shelby?” Brad asked worried.

“Yeah, I guess.” Shelby tried to smile.

“Are you sure hon? You sound hesitant.” Brad questioned knowingly.

Shelby stared at the bandages on her arms and waited several moments, “I’m just having a bad week.” Shelby sighed letting a few tears fall.

“Well, I’d give you a hug, but I’m not there. I have to go now, hang in there babe and things will get better. Give me your number so I can call you.”

Shelby gave him her number and hung up the phone happy they’d gotten to talk to each other.

“So yeah, I’m bored again.” Shelby sighed wondering what to do.

Just then a knock sounded at the door causing her to jump. She walked over to open and found Aimee and Joey standing there.

“That was not funny.” Aimee said smacking her.

“Ouch, what wasn’t funny?” Shelby asked rubbing her arms.

“You left the hospital without saying anything. They wanted to keep you overnight.”

“I hate hospitals.” Shelby shrugged and moved inside the room.

“What happened?” Joey asked cautiously.

“I’m a psycho who should be locked up.” Shelby rolled her eyes and pulled out a cigarette.

“You smoke?” Joey asked surprised and disgusted.

‘Only when I feel stressed.” Shelby sighed taking a drag.

“Well, I insist that you stop.” Joey walked over to her and pulled the cigarette out of her mouth and grabbed the pack.

Shelby just shrugged and watched Joey walk over to her balcony. He broke all the cigarettes and threw them down the into the street.

“Now we just need to get Aims to stop. We’ll just get Lance to work on it. He’s the one who’s going to kiss her hehe.” Joey smirked feeling smug.

“I don’t want to know this.” Shelby scowled.

“Oh Shelby, you know we love you.” Joey slung an arm around her shoulder.

“You guys don’t know me.” Shelby stared at him like he’d lost his mind.

“Such simple technicalities I’m Joey and she’s Aimee, you’re Shelby. What else do you need to know?” Joey mimicked her words from earlier.

“Why are you here? You didn’t even know I was in the hospital. See you dn’t know me at al.” Shelby sighed and tried to relax.

“You could get to know us.” Joey suggested.

“Why would you want to get to know me? Nobody does.” Shelby asked going into her shell.

“Now don’t say that, I don’t want to hear anything like that. As a matter of fact I want you to come have dinner with us tomorrow night. I’ll pick you up tomorrow after work. What time do you get off?” Joey asked curiously.

“I don’t work tomorrow.” Shelby answered beginning to feel uncomfortable.

“Well then why don’t you come with me tomorrow? Then you can see us in action.” Joey suggested a plan forming in his mind.

“I have things to do tomorrow.” Shelby thought about how she needed to get furnishings and visit a bank.

“Like what?” Joey inquired.

“Look around you. I need to buy furniture.” Shelby waved her hand around the scarcely furnished room.

“You’re going to get furniture with that small car?” Joey looked at her like she was a nut.

“I’ll just have it delivered.” Shelby shrugged.

“Nope. You’ll spend the night with Kelly and I, then come tomorrow we’ll go to rehearsal and afterwards we’ll go get you some furniture. Don’t say no
because I know you need help.” Joey told her.

“What rehearsal?” Shelby wondered curiously.

“Just rehearsal, we’re trying to start a band and we rehearse a lot.” Joey fibbed a little not wanting to tell her the truth just yet.

“So Chris really is a singer?” Shelby asked skeptically.

“Yep, he’s our high part. You should hear him, he’s almost a soprano.” Joey giggled causing Shelby to laugh.

“What about Golden Boy?” Shelby rolled her eyes.

“Justin? Yeah he’s in it but don’t let him bother you. He’s just going through some shit right now. He’s not usually like this.” Joey tightened his arm around
Shel.

“Cooties.” Shelby remarked scooting away from him.

“Fine then, be that way.” Joey pouted.

“Is he always such a baby?” Shelby asked Aimee.

“Pretty much.” Aimee shrugged.

“I’m scared.” Shelby frowned looking at Joey.

“Well come on. Come over now, let’s get your stuff packed. Hurry it up.” Joey stated impatiently.

Shelby took her time putting her things together and half an hour later they were sitting in Joey’s living room waiting for Kelly to return home.

“You’re too quiet.” Joey whined getting restless.

“I have nothing to say.” Shelby shrugged.

“Tell me about yourself. Have you always lived in Orlando?” Joey questioned trying to get her to open up.

“No, I grew up in North Dakota.”

“You’re from North Dakota?” Joey asked a teasing in his voice.

“Unless you want a beating I suggest you don’t go there. Growing up in North Dakota was not a bunch of stupid Norwegians with lame accents. That movie
was so lame.” Shelby threatened.

“Touchy. How did you get to Orlando?”

“I got sick of the shit and my stupid foster mother. I came to escape life and start over here. Yet everything seems exactly the same.” Shelby answered an anger in her eyes that was almost frightening.

“What was so bad?”

“Try being the blunt of everyone’s joke. Waking up every day knowing you’ll have to face the cruel jokes and comments. Always having you’re looks rubbed into your face every waking moment. Then get home only to be smacked around. No one to talk to and absolutely no friends.” Shelby hadn’t meant to say so much but the haunting memories just came rushing back and she couldn’t stop them.

“And how has that not changed now?”

“Forget I even said anything. I don’t want to even think about it, let alone talk about it.”

Joey was just about to comment when Kelly came strolling in carrying Brianna.

“Joey, come help me.” She said from under a few grocery bags and one crying baby.

Shelby got up and took Brianna from Kelly. She smiled at the precious little girl and to everyone’s amazement she took to Shel immediately and cuddled to her.

“Thank you so much. She’s been fussing ever since I left the store. Who are you by the way?” Kelly asked curiously.

Entranced by the baby, Shelby was grinning ear to ear not really paying attention to Kelly.

“That’s Shelby, she’s staying the night. Love you babe.” Joey kissed his girlfriend and headed toward the kitchen with the groceries.

Hours later Brianna was tucked into bed and the trio sat in the living room talking.

“So Joey tells me you’re from North Dakota, I’m sorry if he offended you in any way.” Kelly smiled all the while smacking Joey.

“He was fine.” Shelby reassured her.

~*~

Justin’s House

“Hey honey,” Lynne called to her son.

“Yeah mom?” Justin appeared in the doorway.

“I just wanted to let you know I signed you guys up for that therapy deal.” Lynn smiled at her son.

“You did what? Mom I can’t even handle my own problems let alone help someone else.”

“Watch your mouth young man. You may be a famous pop star but I can still wash your mouth out with soap.”

Justin looked at his mother sheepishly and grinned a little, “Sorry mom.”

“Forgiven, but you never know. This might be just what you need to help you.”

“You’re right mom, thanks. I’m going to head up to bed. Goodnight mom.”

“Night honey.”

Justin hugged his mother then went upstairs to his room.

He changed into a white wife beater and a pair of pajama pants and lay down on his bed. His mind began to wander and he thought about Shelby.

“Dear God, it’s Justin. I’m not very good at this kind of thing but I need help. I need to get over Britney and ttry to be nicer to Shelby. Do you know Shelby? Since the day I met her I’ve treated her horribly. I pray that you would soften my heart towards her.” Justin opened his eyes and thought about the hurt expression on her face when she’d left the diner earlier.

Justin felt tears burn at the back of his throat when he realized that Britney had affected him. He’d never been mean to people until he first dated her. She thought people like Shelby were beneath her. He closed eyes and fell asleep thinking about blue eyes filled with sadness.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story