Author's Chapter Notes:
thank you all for taking this journey with me and i hope you're going to stay with the story when it moves on to the next adventure. the end of welcome to my life is here. don't hate me for the way it ended, but it was time to bring this part of they're journey to a close. they will be coming back in the very near future as i am getting things squared away. as always i love your feedback it means a lot to me.

a side note listen to white horse by taylor swift while reading this.
The last week of the tour after their holiday break was really tense. Shelby kept her word and did her best to stay out of Justin's way and he kept out of hers. It had been obvious to everyone that something had changed between the pair. Cameron was there as a constant reminder of just what Shelby had lost.

The tour was now over and everyone was packing up to go home for a break of much needed rest. It was uncertain if Broken Angel would be joining them for the second leg of the tour because they had to finish recording their album. Shelby hoped that they wouldn't be joining them as she didnt know if she could take much more of the past week.

Going to the door to see who it was knocking so hard, Shelby cast another look around her hotel room. She was pretty sure she’d picked up all of the girls’ toys and clothing, but she still felt as though she was forgetting something. Opening the door, Shelby was very surprised, as well as annoyed, to see Justin standing on the other side.

“Justin.”

“Hey.” He gave her his lopsided grin. “Can I come in?”

“Um, yeah. Sure.” Opening the door a little wider, Shelby allowed Justin room to enter before closing the door behind him. She knew she really shouldn’t let him in but she hadn’t seen, or spoken to him since Thanksgiving. She at least wanted to say goodbye.

Going back to folding clothes and neatly putting them back into their suitcases, Shelby tried to not look Justin up and down, relishing in his appearance.

“I can’t believe the tour is actually over. Kinda feels like it was just yesterday when I ran into you and Danielle in New York."

“Yeah, what fun that was.” Shelby’s voice was nearly overloaded with sarcasm as she tried to shake the memories from her mind. That truly was probably the worst day of the tour for her. She didn’t know what was worse--him not recognizing her, or the look in his eyes when he finally did.

“Shelby, I know I've apologized before, but I really am sorry for how I acted. I don't mean just at the beginning of the tour, but for not believing you when you said you didnt cheat on me. I know there's nothing I can do to make amends, but I just wanted to say again that I'm sorry. I was a jackass and you didn’t deserve it.”

“You thought I did.” And what makes things so different now?

“Shelby…”

“Justin, why are you here?” Throwing down the skirt in her hands, Shelby turned and put her hand on her hip. “You made it perfectly clear there is no reason for us to be around one another anymore.”

Looking down at this hands that were now winding themselves around one another, Justin tried to choose his words carefully. “I guess I just wanted to see you one last time before we went our separate ways.” When he looked back up to her face, he wished he hadn’t. In her eyes all he could see was confusion and disbelief. She quickly diverted her eyes and moved to get a bottle of water out of her mini fridge. “What are you planning on doing?”

“Going home for a while and then probably going back into the studio to finish the album,” Her reply was short and he noticed how she now refused to meet his gaze. Some part of him knew this is what he deserved. Hell, if she’d slammed the door right in his face when he asked to come in he’d have deserved that. He couldn't, however, deny the fact that it hurt to have that hostility pointed at him.

“Shelby?” Going over to her, he stood directly in front of her, coaxing her to look him in the eye. “Why are you pulling away from me?”

Shaking her head, Shelby let out an incredulous laugh. She felt like slapping him. How could he be so naïve? “You’re seriously asking me that question?” Turning, Shelby walked away from him once again.

“Shelby, you've known all along that I'm with Cameron.”

“I know that, Justin,” she turned on him with such venom in her eyes and voice that he found himself taking a step back. “I know that you love her. I know that she’s possibly one of the meanest most conniving people I’ve ever met, and yet somehow you’re madly in love with her. That’s fine. It’s your life and I do want you to be happy. And yes, the past few weeks before the big blow up were great. And yes, as you felt you needed to point out to me I got my hopes up that finally we would be together again. But I now know that you’re never going to be ready for that.”

“I could be.”

“No, you can’t.”

They stood there in silence for a few minutes until it was nearly deafening. Shelby wrapped her arms around herself and tried willing the tears away. She refused to cry over this man again. He’d ruined her life once before, she wouldn’t allow him to do it again.

Finally, Justin walked to Shelby, breaking the silence. “So you’re just going to leave just like that--and what, never see me or speak to me again?

Looking up into Justin’s beautiful blue eyes, Shelby felt herself go weak at the knees. “Justin,” She hated that her voice was soft and shaky, but there was no way she could have possibly strengthened it. “I can’t pretend any of this didn’t happen--especially the beautiful passion we shared the night we made love. But I'm done pretending that you’re ever going to feel the same about me.”

Placing his hand gently on Shelby’s cheek, Justin fought the urge to lean down and devour her lips with his own. “Shelby, tell me you don’t love me. I need to hear it.”

He watched as her bottom lip trembled as she leaned into his touch. She closed her eyes and a single tear rolled down her cheek, hitting his palm. When she finally opened her eyes and looked at him once again, she slightly shook her head. “I will always love you. But I can’t wait around any longer for you to make up your mind. I can’t just go to bed with you when you’re lonely and endure the aftermath in silence. I’m better than that. I deserve better.”

Nodding his head, Justin felt the tears well in his eyes. He felt something for Shelby, that, he couldn’t deny. But whether or not it was the same love he’d felt for her four years ago, he couldn’t be certain. That's what he had been waiting for. He wanted to know in his heart that he couldn't live without her, that she was the one he should spend the rest of his life with. He couldn't be certain if this was that moment, but he wouldn’t be this worked up over her if he didn‘t at least love her.

He didn’t know what else he could possibly say to Shelby at this point, so he did the only thing he could think of. He slowly leaned his head down and gently captured her trembling lips with his own. He moved his other hand to the other side of her face, and while he was afraid she wouldn’t kiss him back, he felt her hands touch his stomach. Her butterfly light touch sent sparks throughout his entire body and he knew.

But it’d come too late.

Pulling away from the kiss, Shelby backed up and looked at Justin with a sadness she’d never wanted to feel again.

“Just go. Please.” He stood there for a second before nodding and finally turning away. Before he opened the door, he stopped and slightly turned his head back.

“I know it’s not enough for you, but a part of me will always love you.” Then he was gone. Out of her life, but never out of her heart.

She felt like she couldn’t breathe, like the walls were closing in on her. It felt as though a rubber band was squeezing her heart Saying those three words was the hardest thing she’d ever had to do. But she knew she was right. Justin was never going to realize she was the one for him. She wasn’t a princess after all and her life wasn’t a fairytale. He wasn’t going to come in out of nowhere on a white horse, sweep her off her feet and take her somewhere so they could live happily ever after, raising their daughter as a family. Maybe she’d realized it too late. Maybe she was never going to get over him. But she had to try. As far as she was concerned, she was better off without him in her life. He brought so much more drama and hurt and sadness to her than she’d ever wanted to feel.

But why, when he’d finally left, did it feel like he’d ripped her heart to shreds all over again?

Completed
Leeann is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 17 members. Members who liked Welcome To My Life (Sequel to Stronger Together With You) also liked 440 other stories.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story