Ending week of May.
“Yo, Mary, you got an assignment.” Jared dropped a file on Laura’s desk as he walked by her. “Lynn wants you the come to the meeting in her office.”

“Hey, ass wipe, my name is Laura. I’d think you’d stop calling me Marry, considering I’ve intern here over a month now.” Laura stood up and walked over next to him as they walked to Lynn’s meeting room.

“Nope, not until we get a new staff intern.”

“When is that gonna happen, this is a big name magazine, I thought there would be a ton of interns.”

Jared walked through the hallway with ease; everyone there respected him. Especially compared to practically everyone running into Laura.

“You said it. This IS a big name music magazine, but only an elite few are accepted. We usually take about 3 college kids a year. Consider your self lucky.” He grabbed a cup of coffee from his intern, which is really more like his assistant.

“Oh, okay then.”

Laura was going into her senior year of college at Berkley. Originally she was attending Northwestern University but when she found out she got the summer/fall internship at Rolling Stone she quickly filled out the transfer papers to be closer to her future job. Maybe it was a bit crazy to transfer from the third best Journalism school, but hey, you’d do the same if Rolling Stone magazine was knocking at your door. She left everything behind, her friends, her band, and her family, all for a dream. Of course they where all pissed at her, especially her band, but eventually they’ll understand, she hoped.

Jared knocked at Lynn’s door, their editor.

“Come in.”

They both entered, Laura looking over the file as she took a seat. It was about Nsync. The file was full of random information and recent news on them.

“Okay, this meeting is about an issue out in October it’s a big issue. You know the one for the fall new music release thing. We need to have this to the printers by the end of September.” Lynn spoke from the head of the table.

Laura looked up from the file and took a look around the room. She sat at a rectangular table that seated about 20 people and they were all the top staff reporters, the ones that got the big time stories. What was she doing there? She was just an intern. Okay, maybe she was Lynn’s intern, but still, she was just an intern.

“Well what is the cover you have in mind?” Jamie spoke up, she was basically fourth inline of who runs the magazine. Plus a bitch to who ever she saw as a threat, do I even have to say that she tried to get Laura’s internship expired.

“Right, okay. One of the October covers is Nsync.” Everyone rolled their eyes and seemed to be upset about it. Laura’s eyes went wide; her file held all the Nsync information… was she doing the cover story?

“But this will be Nsync’s third time on the cover, what’s the deal with that?” Jared seemed visibly upset.

“Jared, I know you want Bright Eyes on a cover, but they aren’t ready yet, lets do a story on them, get them popularity, then we’ll take them into consider. I’ve chosen Nsync, again, because they are coming back together and I thought it’d be a good idea.”

“But so are Backstreet Boys. Why aren’t they on the cover?" One of the quieter staff members asked, Mike. He was probably the first person to befriend Laura; he gave her a tour of the place when she kept going in circles.

“Interesting point. Let’s do a joint cover. ‘Two previously rivaling boy bands, coming back from a long hiatus at the same time.’ I like it. We’ll have two reporters on the stories. Jamie, you’ll do the Backstreet Boy one and Mike, do the Nsync one.”

Laura’s happy, excited face literally dropped when the realization that she wasn’t doing the story hit her.

“Wait. I made a mistake, scratch that, Laura you’re doing the Nsync story. Mike you are helping her with it. From what their agents tell me, both of the bands are going on tour starting the second week of June. Jamie you’re going to join the guys and get as much dirt and information you can, you’ll be back by the end of August. Laura the same with you, the only exception is that Mike will be helping with writing it because you are still an intern–“ Lynn was cut off by Jamie.

“EXACTLY!” Jamie stood up and slammed her hands on the table “She’s an intern! How can she do a cover story when she’s been here for less than two months? That’s insane!”

“Jamie, sit.” Jamie’s faced looked a bit embarrassed at her out burst. Every one knows that she’s a bit of a bitch, just a lil’ bit. She sat down with out another word. “I’m the editor and I’ll decide who does what story. I feel Laura can do this, plus she’ll have the help of our best reporter. Now I’m hoping you guys can get this story in the last week of September’s issue, but I’m giving you guys’ tills the second week of October. Laura that means this story has to be ready for print by mid September.”

Lynn went on as people brainstormed on article ideas. Laura was intently listening. From time to time she would steal glances at Mike. He sat there with his trucker hat on, a worn out Doors shirt, and dark wash jeans. Going by what her style of guys are, he was perfect for her, and the thought of working side by side with him made her heart jump.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So how do we get this shit rolling?” Laura flopped down on Mikes couch in is office. He took a quick look at her and leaned his butt on his desk.

“We’ll you’re leaving in two weeks. I guess I’ll be their the first few days to make sure you’re okay, then I’ll just come over a bit to make sure everything is going fine.” He pushed off the desk and sat down next to where she laid down.

“Okay, good, cause three months straight with just those guys, not a great idea.” She picked her head up so that she can use his thigh as a pillow.

“Why? Are you gonna kill them?”

“No, I think I’m gonna end up raping Justin and maybe even Lance or Joey, fuck it, we’ll just have one giant orgy.” Laura laughed at the expression Mike had…she never failed to shock him.

“I don’t think they’ll mind.”

Laura blushed at his comment and he smiled to him self.

“Any way. What else”

“You’re gonna have to interview them separately. Usually artists are easier to talk to by themselves, and putting a few shots of tequila in them doesn’t hurt either. Either way the more open they are the better, that way you can add random quotes from them through out the article.”

“Okay, gottcha.” She looked up at him and gave her best puppy eyes. “Mike I’m starting to get super nervous”

“Why are you so nervous?”

“Because I’m an intern doing a staff reporters job. It’s kinda scary.”
“You’ll be fine, plus I’m backing you up here.”

She closed her eyes and enjoyed him softly playing with her hair.

“Mike, please stay the entire time with me. What if I screw this whole thing up?”

He stared at her peaceful face. Usually she had this tough girl; I can take on the world, face. But right now, she had her guard down and expressing her emotions to him.

“Laura, I wish I could. But this isn’t my story, so I still have other deadlines to make. I’ll come down as much as I can. I promise. And I’ll try to call you often.”

“I’m just gonna miss you.”

His heart seemed to skip a beat. Just as he was about to respond there was a knock at his door.

“Hold on one second.” He nudged Laura. “Yo, get up. Some ones at the door.”

Reluctantly she stood up and rubbed her eyes a bit. Mike walked to door and let the intruder in. Jamie didn’t even wait for Mike to invite her in, she waltz right up to Laura and stared her down as she attempted to make he feel small.

“Don’t think that just because Lynn believes in you that you can do this. You’re just an intern and you’ll fall flat on your ass! My article will out shine yours, this is just setting you up for failure.”

Laura was taken back by this, especially since just about 30 seconds ago she was drifting off to sleep. Yet she was still able to be quick witted.

“Shut up loser.” Okay, maybe not THAT quick witted. “The only reason why you’re going all super bitch is because you either see me as a threat to your career or you see me as a threat to your attempts at Mike.” Eh, better than the other comeback.

“Please, you are merely an idealistic dreamer trying to be a writer. I promise you that you will fail at this. Or you will find a way to mess this up. I’ll make sure of that.” Jamie turned on her heels and headed right back out, but not before stopping the doorway to add in one more comment. “And you being a threat to me and Mike is laughable.” She turned to Mike who was still holding the door open. “See you later Hun.” With that she walked out the door, giving Mike a quick wink.

It was just then that he snapped out of his trance.

“We broke up three months ago! Hell no I’m not seeing you later!” He yelled down the hall to her.

It was then that Laura sat on the couch again, with her head in her hands. Mike walked over to her and soothingly rubbed her back.

“Don’t listen to her, she’s a bitch. That’s why we broke up. She’s just scared of you.”

“Mike, I don’t care about her. I’m just scared of failing. What if I do find a way to mess this up? I always seem to find ways to screw up, by the end of the summer you’re gonna be cleaning up my mess.” Laura stood up and walked out of his office. She had to go for a walk, just leave that environment.

***************

Hey guys, it’s me Laura. I can’t answer the phone right now so just leave a message and I’ll try to reach you as soon as possible.
“Yeah, it’s me Mike, again. You haven’t come to work the past two days. Lynn said that you sounded really bad on the phone. Just so you know, if you don’t come in tomorrow Lynn might give your story to Jamie. Don’t let her win. Please call me. I’ll see you later. Bye”

***************

“Well look who came out from hiding.” Mike walked over to Laura and gave her a giant hug.

“Yeah, whatever. I’m here, lets get this thing going.” Laura walked into his office and they sat around all the scattered information about Nsync. “So what do we have here?”

“This is their file, you left it in my office the other day.”

“What do I do with this stuff?” She pulled out a cigarette and lit it up, pulling an ashtray next to her.

“Read it. It’s basic stuff. You can base questions off of it, you can use it as a back story, or you can use it as a means to get close to them.” He made a mischievous face.

“What do you mean?”

“Laura, you’re hot. They will notice this. Use it to your advantage to get close to them. Look. According to our information, Justin just broke up with Cameron; he’s on the rebound. Joey it married so their might not be much their, but use the family thing to string him on. Lance, unless he is gay, he’s not known for being with many famous girls, use the ‘I’m a girl next door’ to gain his trust. JC, he’s basically a male whore, flaunt what you got. Chris is engaged…ummm…we’ll figure that out later.” Mike randomly pulled out his evidence of accusations. Laura looked on intently.

“So I’m supposed to sort of gain their trust to make the deepest story on them ever?”

“EXACTLY! You catch on quick. Our past articles on them could have easily fit into a Seventeen issue. Fuck that. We need some thing worth Rolling Stone. Forget that ‘What’s your favorite color?’ bullshit.”

“Are you asking me to date one of the guys?”

“NO! Well yeah, but not true boyfriend stuff. Pick one that will take to you the most, or one that will have the most interesting things to say. Hell, go for two.”

Laura smiled a bit at his reaction to her dating one of the guys; she had a feeling he will be checking up on her a lot.

“Two? Now that would be easy especially since I’ll only be living with the both of them, and by the way, they live together! How can I manage that?”

“ ‘Date’ one and lead the other on.”

“Mike, I must say, this side of you is hot.”

“Well, every side of you is hot” He winked at her and smiled when she blushed.

“Any way. When do I leave?”

“We head out to New York June 10. For some reason they wanted to share a bus, like in their old days, whatever, so you’re gonna have to bunk with them.”

“That’s cool. I wanna leave NOW.” She finished her cigarette and put it out in the ashtray.

“Patients girl.”

“I’m just excited, I want to beat out Jamie. Prove to her my article is better. At first she got to me but now, all she did was amp me up.” Laura hopped in place.

“You just want to hook up with Justin already don’t you?” Mike crossed his arms across his chest and gave her a knowing look.

“That too.”

Mike walked up to her and gave her a claming hug. And whispered in her ear.

“Relax, you’re gonna be fine.”

Then why did she feel like this summer was gonna be what tears her down?

“And if you don’t hook up with Justin, you always have me.”

Her breath caught in her throat. Did Mike just officially hit on her?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike and Laura stepped into the arena where the boys where rehearsing for their show tomorrow.

“You two must be from Rolling Stone.” A talk dark man walked up to the two reporters and shook their hands. “I’m Johnny, the boy’s manager. Please follow me and I’ll lead you to the guys.”

They followed him down the gray hallways. Laura’s heart was beating so fast she thought that she’d die. Everything seemed to finally dawn on her. It wasn’t until she bumped into Mike that she realized that they stopped at a door.

“Okay this is their dressing room.” Johnny led them into the room.

As soon as Laura and Mike walked in all the guys stood up and took in their presence. It took Laura a split second to find her “boyfriend”.


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story