I stretched as best I could as I lay on my back. My long legs reached as far as they could go as I curled my toes. I sighed when I finished and rubbed my tired eyes as I turned my head to my left to read the clock that sat on the stained wood edge of her nightstand.

Ten o'clock.

I realized that in over a year, this is the longest I've stayed in her bed and home. I also realized, as I turned my head back to the right, ever so slightly, that she was dressed in her black tank and work skirt and I was in my cargos and dress shirt.

We didn't have sex last night and it was beautiful.

Once she settled down, we didn't speak at all. We kissed a while and held each other before laying in bed and cuddling ourselves to sleep. It was nice and felt natural. I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner as the glowing rays of the sun poked through her cracked blinds and lightened up her room. She shifted beside me and snuggled into my side as I caressed her cheek. She looked so beautiful in her sleep and I hated myself for missing that peaceful face all those mornings I snuck off without another word.

I picked up her limp hand from its place on my stomach and kissed it gently before placing it over my heart. I laid my own hand over hers and held it their for a moment, realizing that last night was the most difficult night of my life. I had spoken the words I haven't said to another woman in so long.

I didn't really plan on coming here and saying as much as I did. Trace coached me to death about how to tell her simply how I feel and then back off, but I couldn't lie to her. I didn't want to tell her to go on without me, but I loved her. I wanted her to know that I wanted to be the man for her. I wanted to just say that I loved her and go from there. I didn't want to put an end to us.

Trace told me I was being selfish when I mentioned it, so I didn't say much to him after that, but now, laying here, I realize I don't know where to go. But I also realize that I just don't care as long as she's around.

I hear a moan of displeasure as Leah squeezes her eyes shut to block out the light. She rubs her face into my stomach and I laugh out loud as she groans.

"Shut up," she grumbles.

"Well, good mornin' to you too, baby," I smile as she looks up a little stare me in the eyes.

"Mornin'," she finally relents before sighing and scooting up towards my face. She stops and rest her face into the crook of my neck before kissing the skin there. Her kisses linger up my neck and to my jaw and cheek before her lips rest against my ear. "It's nice to see you." I don't respond, I just turn and hug her into me and she accepts my affectionate gesture. Her legs intertwine with my own as we listen to the birds outside chirping. The silence is inbetween awkward and comfortable because we've done this before, but not in so long, and even though it felt good to be in her arms, I didn't know where to go next.

I kissed the top of her head and took in the sweet smell of her hair. "You wanna eat?" My question was a direct result of my growling stomach and she pulled away slightly to nodd and smile shyly at me before slipping out of my arms and from her bed. I followed suit and she waited at the door. I grasped her fingers and she held my fingers back as we tiredly trailed up the hall and into the bathroom. When we reached the small space, she let go of my hand and headed toward the medicine cabinet above the sink. The mirrored image of her disappeared momentarily as she opened the cabinet door and retrieved an extra tooth brush.

"Here," she said, handing me the blue and white brush, before turning back toward the sink. She grabbed her own brush and applied the paste to it before wetting it with water. She placed the brush into her mouth and moved in quick and steady strokes. Foam peeked out of the corners of her mouth as she moved about and I smirked when she caught me staring from my reflection in the mirror and rolled her eyes.

I stood and walked over to her, kissing her exposed neck and shoulders as she giggled before placing my brush on the edge of the sink. I pulled away and held her gaze for a moment before unbuttoning my dress shirt and peeling it off. She watched and smirked before dipping her head down and spitting.

"Ew," I childishly chastised. She waved me off and I continued to undress until I was down to nothing but my black boxer briefs. By this time, she had finished brushing and washing her face. She moved from the sink as I moved toward it to begin my own brushing.

As I placed the paste covered brush into my mouth, I caught sight of her reflection and watched as she stripped down from a tank and skirt to nothing before sashaying over to the tub and setting the temperature of the shower water.

She was beautiful and she was just setting up her shower water.

I rinsed my mouth and face before turning off the faucet and placing my brush next to hers. I smiled. I liked the way it looked and I wanted to brush here more often. After I relished in the simple moment, I turned and watched as she slipped into the shower and closed the curtain behind her. The bright yellow ducks and bubbles that decorated the plastic cover was a bit childish, but it suited her happy self. Leah was the most mature persons I know and yet she managed to make rubber duckies the center theme of her bathroom. Only she could pull off such a thing while looking cute instead of weird.

"Are you joining me?" A timid voice from behind the curtain inquired as I pulled off my briefs and walked toward the tub before slipping inside. Leah's back was to me as she allowed water to flow over her face. Tiny droplets of water sprayed me as they bounced off of her and warmed my skin before I stepped closer to her body. I didn't stop until I was flush against her back. She let out a breath and before leaning back and wiping her face of water and smoothing back her hair.

"I'll wash your back and you wash mine?" She nodded and I turned to get the yellow mess sponge from the shower caddy hook before grabbing her bottle of Magnolia Blossom shower gel. I poured a generous amount over the sponge and dampened it with water until it foamed up.

Leah and I switched places so that she was no longer under the shower head and I was. The water felt good against my skin, but I was soon distracted by Leah's body as I gently placed the sponge on her shoulder and began slow, massaging circles over her back. I made sure to not miss a single spot as I worked my way to her spine, over her supple behind, and the backs of her thighs. I bent down a bit to get her calves and ankles before I slid my hand up her legs and to her inner thighs. I spent more time then necessary rubbing each thigh clean before going over her back again.

She turned around and gave me her front and I washed her neck and collar bones before going over her breasts. She sighed when I did so and I leant down and gave her chaste kiss before heading down the valley between them and over her stomach. She stood with her legs apart, allowing me to wash over her womanhood before running down her inner thighs and legs again. I came back up and repeated my actions before allowing her to hold the sponge.

I reached behind her and grabbed her papaya scented shampoo before she turned her back to me. Being this tall allowed me to see the top of her as I poured shampoo into my hands before running it through her hair. It lathered it up quickly and I massaged her scalp as she closed and her eyes and relaxed with me. My fingers drew small circles over her head and my nails gently scratched her skin. She moaned lightly and I smiled softly, pleased that I was pleasing her.

After a few seconds, we switched positions and she rinsed off before taking the sponge and giving me the same treatment. Her hands were much more delicate though. It was like she was handling glass when she washed my manhood and I grew anxious as she took her sweet time cleaning me. I didn't know if it was just a teasing scheme or if she honestly didn't want to hurt me in some way, but it was torture regardless and I fought off my urges in order not to ruin the moment with what got us in trouble in the first place: sex.

Even though I didn't have much to wash with my buzz cut barely growing back in, Leah still took it upon herself to wash my hair. I had to bend over in order for her to do so, since she's ridiculously short, and we laughed as she massaged my scalp and I groaned about my back hurting. She helped me wash off as well before turning off the water and drying my skin. I took a towel and returned the favor before we headed back to her room, naked, in order to get some clothes.

She gave me some tan shorts, a white t-shirt, and checkered boxers I had left at her place and she had washed for me. I put them on, as well as some ankle socks, and sat on the edge of the bed as I watched her dress herself. She took more time because she had a much wider selection to choose from and I didn't mind. I liked to watch her prance around in her underwear and pout when she couldn't decide. I liked watching her dress too when she finally picked out a blue 'Rub my belly for good luck' Buddha shirt and black short, shorts.

We walked out and down the hall and into the living room, me slipping on my Nikes as she slipped on her flip flops, before heading out the door. We took the elevator down in silence and got to my car with no words exchanged. We actually only spoke for a second in the car when deciding on where to get breakfast. We both agreed on Roscoe's before allowing silence to engulf us.

I wondered if it bothered her as much as it was starting to bother me; the silence. I guess I didn't want to talk because I didn't want to say something stupid, but I was also scared that if I didn't say something, she'd get flustered.

Not that she seemed angry. She actually seemed pretty at peace with things. I suppose I was just worrying too much because I honestly had nothing mapped out in my head. Mr. Perfectionist had no game plan (not that I had much of one when it came to Leah anyway).

I was doing too much. I needed to relax. Leah and I were doing a million times better within in the last twenty-four hours than we have in a year and some months. It was good. We were good.

But why were we so quiet?

"Leah?" I called timidly as I glanced over at her still form. She turned her head and nodded towards me in acknowledgment.

"What's up?" she asked.

"I was just wondering why you were so quiet," I answered honestly, "You're okay, right?" I glance away from the road and she nods.

"Yeah, I'm good," she assured, "I'm just... adjusting... ya know? It's been a while since we're hung out."

"Exactly!" I agreed, allowing realization and relief to come over, "We're just adjusting." Leah giggles and my heart warms. She hasn't laughed around me in so long without me doing something to her body. It was nice to make her laugh at a distance.

We pulled into the Roscoe's parking lot and I hurriedly exited the car and jogged to herself to open the door. She thanked me as she stepped out of the car and waited for me to lock everything. I turned to her and we both paused for a moment. I glanced down at her hand before mine slowly reached for hers; lightly intertwining our fingers. She gave me a light squeeze and a smirk before we began our walk toward the entrance.

Her hand was so small and soft in mind as we walked and It was nice to be this way, but I couldn't shake what was happening in my stomach. I couldn't shake the feeling of something not being right. I told myself we were adjusting, but at the same time, I felt like this adjustment was perhaps happening too soon.

I liked to kiss her. I liked to hold her hand and make her laugh at a distance. I loved her. I knew that. But was it possible to feel that way and feel out of place when it's all coming together? I couldn't quite vocalize what was going through my head as we ate our breakfast and mindlessly chatted over our meal. I could tell you that as she babbled about her life, I couldn't help but feel bad. I had been around for the last year and missed her changing jobs and getting a newborn niece and saving up for a new car... I was a shitty friend.

A friend.

A boyfriend.

Was I her boyfriend?

I didn't even know. I just woke up and held her and showered her and ate with her and established that we were working on us, but what us? Was there an us?

"Justin?" Leah's voice broke into my thoughts softly and I blinked twice to clear my vision and my head before I smiled softly.

"What?" I asked, "I'm sorry, I spaced." She smiled.

"You used to do that all that time," she jokingly rolled her eyes before looking back at me with a serious expression. "Are you okay?"

As I looked down into her concerned eyes, I could see her worrying about the millions of doubts she feared I was having and even though I promised to myself I'd never lie to her again, I had to also stick with my promise to never break her heart again.

"Yeah," I said gently, smiling down at my waffles to avoid her gaze, "I'm fine."


Completed
Timberlake is the author of 27 other stories.

This story is part of the series, Time. The previous story in the series is Two P.M.. The next story in the series is Twelve AM.

You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story