Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry this chapter's short. i had to break the scene up between this post & the next or else it would've been too long.
Gabe let Justin in the house but wouldn’t let him see Nicole. Instead, he led him to the couch for 1 of the ‘protective older brother’ talks.

“Please, if I could just talk to her...,” Justin started.

“We’ll see. 1st “ you & I talk.”

Justin shifted uncomfortably. He wasn't scared, he was just nervous because he needed to talk about this with Nicole. He felt it was something private they should deal with.

“Now, I know Nicole & Anita like you. Nicole especially with the way she turns to your music. I wish I could be around more to kick whosever butt hurts her; but given my job I can't. For that, I’m grateful she has you.” He paused to study the man in front of him.

He could tell Justin cared a great deal but being the older brother, he had to make sure Nicole wouldn’t get hurt anymore.

“Thank you,” Justin answered sincerely but was cut off again.

“But...you hurt her & that’s not ok by me.”

“Again, honestly, I didn’t know what Trace did. He never told me she was online.”

“Don’t tell me. Tell her,” Gabe answered, pointing to Nicole’s door at the back of the ranch style house.

Justin got up & slowly walked to the bedroom. He carefully opened the door & the sight in front of him broke his heart.

Nicole lay on her bed, sobbing. Music rang out from her stereo.

VERSE 1:Snow falls on the city
white on white
It's the color of hope
on an unforgiving night
you kissed me into ruins
sin on sin
now i've got all of your love letters
written on my skin
CHORUS: I can't tell the stars from
the downtown lights
If I said I was truly over you
my heart would say amen
but I'd give in to the
cold caress of 2 am.
If I admit I can't get used to this
will my heart break again?
as I fall into the
waiting arms of 2 AM
Verse 2: Someone's scratchy music
through the walls.
sirens weavin' thru the streets
I must have missed your call
I'm gathering up these nights
black on black
I know your voice like it's my own
and it makes my heart go slack
chorus repeat 2x


By the end of the song, Justin had tears in his own eyes. How could 1 missed conversation hurt her so bad? Was there something he didn’t know?
Chapter End Notes:
song is "2a.m." by Alexz Johnson. **tissue warning for next chapter.**


You must login (register) to comment.

Story Tags: Be the first to add a tag to this story